Speaker 1: Smell us now, Lady, Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia mea podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meet Eater Radio Live. We're coming to you from met Eater hqan Bozeman, Montana, but we're not live today. I'm your host, Spencer Newhart, joined by Ryan Callahan, Giannis Putelus, Randall Williams, and Corey Culkins. This is a pre recorded episode because we're on Christmas Break. On today's episode, we're answering your questions from how to pick the perfect puppy to unique ways to prepare ground meat. This entire show is Q and A the boys. It is dang near twenty twenty five. You got any New Year's resolutions?
Speaker 3: Henna be working?
Speaker 1: I think we should tackle the fact that us adult man all in this rumor on Christmas break much like your children.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, and well.
Speaker 1: I think it's important to note that in order to go on Christmas break, you have to do three times the amount of work ahead of time in order to then have the break.
Speaker 4: Which is fine.
Speaker 5: The past two weeks have convinced me that I don't really want a Christmas break moving forward. Just too much stuff, plus, you know, less time at home with the family.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, you two without the kids obviously don't understand it. Kids get about sixteen days off coming up here. Oh, we're in the midst of it, right, hmm as we're live.
Speaker 5: Here, am I right? Phil?
Speaker 4: Oh? Yeah, appreciate the choir bud. All right.
Speaker 2: The question was does anybody have any New Year's resolutions? It's January tewond when the show comes out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna start drinking at.
Speaker 2: Work, okay, Cal has an Edmund Fitzgerald logger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, eight Lake's Brewing Company. It's a porter. Okay, very tasty six percent.
Speaker 4: She's a doozy thirty seven. It's pretty tough for me these days.
Speaker 2: He's going to start talking like Michigan you're here soon.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's a resolution, but I did get lucky enough to sign up and get onto the roster to run the Crazy Mountain one hundred and so it's pretty exciting.
Speaker 2: When is it.
Speaker 4: It's July twenty fifth, Okay, so I have roughly six months of heavy duty training and that started by now.
Speaker 5: Yes, we should backpack in there and just set up a checkpoint.
Speaker 4: That is a great, great idea. We did my family and I did that last year. At Sunlight Lake and watched all the runners come through. We stay up until like midnight.
Speaker 5: Is that what lit the fire for you? No, like I should be out there.
Speaker 4: I paced the year prior to that, and that got me. I'm pretty excited to do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel like I could pack in there with the old steel chainsaws and help out a lot of the runners there, because there's a lot of blowdown in that race. Really, Yeah, miles through that country.
Speaker 4: Oh, I think they have it. Well, I haven't heard that, but it might be a thing. Well.
Speaker 1: Randall's brother he did a pre run and.
Speaker 5: He did like sixty miles like a couple of weeks before the race to just check out part of the course.
Speaker 4: And because he was running it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but then he got into a horrific bicycle accident and destroyed his arm. But he did run into a lot of blowdown on that shakeout run, So I can't say if he was officially on the course at that point in time. The navigation skills are questionable at best, but he did encounter blowdowns on that run.
Speaker 1: I did sit with him on the couch while he just destroyed like four pizzas by himself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which was cool. To see.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we just got back from the rodeo.
Speaker 1: Yeah he was being I mean, yeah, he was having a great time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Any other resolutions in the room besides Yanni's making a big old run up a mountain Corey.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm hoping to help deplete the predator population in Region one of Montana. Hopefully when this podcast comes out on the second, I'll have a couple down, a couple of wolves down.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm not reaching.
Speaker 2: Too far into twenty twenty five.
Speaker 6: Hopefully by the first week I have my first.
Speaker 5: Wolf in the back of the truck.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I want to start creating a history with a place that I hunt. Ever since I moved to Montana, I don't have a place that I've went back to more than two consecutive years, and that kind of disappoints me that looking back at like when I'd hunt the same property when I lived in South Dakota, like for five or six straight years, sometimes a decade in some cases. You'd like it to know bucks and spots, and you'd like really create relationship with the place, and I haven't had that since I moved out here, So I need to start finding a place. It's like that's my spot. That's a spot I go to every year and I think next year it begins. Is like when I find the place that I go to for the third consecutive year and then that all of a sudden becomes a place in a decade from now that I'm still going to to haunt.
Speaker 5: So to clarify, are you still looking for that spot or might you go back to one of the spots.
Speaker 2: I have some spots in mind, but I'd also like love to start, you know, a new spot, and find a place this coming year that I think could be that kind of spot. So I'm just like missing missing a thing in my fall where I really deeply know a place and I want that back.
Speaker 4: It's lovely, I hear you. I hear it because it's good to have both, because I think there's a lot of credit to give to someone that doesn't hunt more than a year or two in the same spot, because you're forced to learn new places and be successful in new places. But you can have both, Yeah, you can definitely have both. And I love going back to a spot you know that I've been to, and I know it's it's more casual. It takes away some of the stress for me.
Speaker 1: No, that's true. But it is a crutch though too. So like if you're the person who's like, well, our family hunting camp is this and that's my week of hunting, there's there's It puts some limitations on your effectiveness as a hunter because, like you just you got to be challenged with you know, the figuring stuff out as you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, listen, I think it made me a better hunter. But I want a spot. That's my spot now and I haven't had that living in Montana yet. Next year it starts, Randall, call any resolutions before we start tackling these questions.
Speaker 1: Well, you want to jump back to the Edmund Fitzgerald porter here.
Speaker 5: There's a tremendous amount of oxidation around the well.
Speaker 1: I would I want to know, like, oh, I think this be like the best gimmick in the world. So for folks who don't know, the Edmund Fitzgerald sunk okay, and it's a big rusty hulk and the cap on the beer bottle rusted all the way around. That was like part of the flavor profile. We got those beers a couple of years ago. I think I'm real sitting Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 5: They came into a freighter from the Great Lakes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they have to spend a year underwater in order to be sold.
Speaker 4: Like I'm in, I'm in.
Speaker 1: So like hunting related things, I need to kind of came to the conclusion this year that my Montana mule deer spot is just like it needs to be burned. The habitat is wrong at this point to where it used to be. You know, it was hard to intercept Muldier in there, but when you did, they were big. Now it's like kind of like, oh, oh my god, there's a deer in here, and it's a it's a hard place. So I need to start expanding and doing some some summertime exploration of some other spots, which I just.
Speaker 7: When you're gonna say you'd burn it, appreciate habitat management there, so that that would be one thing.
Speaker 1: And he did go find know a new good mule deer zone and then uh man.
Speaker 2: Just.
Speaker 1: Going through cases of shells on the shotgun side of things over the summer, just shooting more in general center fire as well. But that's just got to be a part of the program. And you know, schedules get so jacked up it's hard to prioritize this stuff, but man, does it pay dividends. So and then getting back on just like a really consistent dog training schedule. These dogs benefit so much from that consistency. And that's a hard thing to pull off with the type of travel that we do too.
Speaker 3: But I.
Speaker 1: Can still do better.
Speaker 3: What is going well in your life?
Speaker 4: I wear.
Speaker 2: It's gonna turn this thing around.
Speaker 5: The dog training.
Speaker 1: I wear the same clothing like three days a week. I can make that four days a week and get more dog training, you know, sacrifices. I'm getting to be that way with age easy, Like, don't wash pants now for weeks on end.
Speaker 2: I'm like this, I supposed to wash jeans very often.
Speaker 4: I don't know when the last time that shirt was washed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I beat it up, throw on some pitstick. Yeah, I swapped out the interior shirt here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that I do more often.
Speaker 2: Random, What do you have to add?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I just I need to stop lying around me.
Speaker 5: With that starts with myself. Actually, in all honesty, I need to I need to shoot my rifle lot more. I used to be in the habit of shooting, you know, a couple of thousand rounds and the center fire in a year, And this past year was probably the worst year for shooting that I've had, just in terms of volume. And you know, there's nothing like just good old practice to make you feel like you're ready when the fall rolls around twenty five.
Speaker 4: Did the lack of practice affect your hunt? Did you have a miss this year?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: Yes, but I don't know that practice would have.
Speaker 5: It was a very bad situation just to rush. But yeah, I just like I got into I was like getting all my stuff ready and I you know, putting my rifle in the truck, and I'm like, man, I I should shoot more. I used to shoot a lot, like literally burning out barrels and rebarreling rifles.
Speaker 3: But you know, work just gets.
Speaker 5: In the way. Family, all sorts, commitments. Yeah, the dogs, they're just always trying to get my attention and they don't like shooting rifles.
Speaker 3: So it's tough.
Speaker 5: But I'm gonna be more selfish this year, I guess.
Speaker 3: Is what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Can you shoot at your house now?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yes?
Speaker 2: Oh nice shoots on his property, but not at his house.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: It's gonna get awfully drafted if you shoot too often.
Speaker 2: Cute, all right, we're gonna tackle some listener questions here. We got about ten of these. First one is from James. I'm in my forties, I live in Northeast, Ohio and welcome by. I'm having a dad who hunted. I never took an interest until recently. What would be your advice for the first thing someone should do to take their first step towards hunting white tail deer. I've shot guns for many years as a hobby and recently took my first archery lesson. I'm open to gun hunting or bow hunting. To answer this question. First, here is Mark Kenyon.
Speaker 4: Why Mark getting an all?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 9: This is a great question and one that we hear from folks frequently, people that are intrigued by white tailed deer hunting but just don't know where to start. And my number one piece of advice is to seek out a mentor. There's so much to learn to get started as a deer hunter. There are so many different things about deer behavior, deer habitat, hunting strategy. You can get some of that from podcasts and videos of which we have plenty of metator you can read about these things and magazines and web articles. But the single best way you can learn is to actually find a real life person who can answer your questions, who can maybe take you out there in the field with them and show you some of these things firsthand. And there is a terrific program to help you find a mentor, and that is called the Field to Fork program is put on by the National Deer Association.
Speaker 3: You can sign up.
Speaker 9: To be connected with mentors like this through their program and to possibly go through this incredible educational experience. If you go to your association dot com slash field to Fork that's f I E L D dash t O dash fork. Go to that website, do the new hunter survey, see who they connect you with. Be a part of that program if you can. There's also a Deer Hunting one oh one online course you can participate in through that program that will definitely give you some of those building blocks to get started.
Speaker 3: Good luck.
Speaker 2: That thorough answer is why Mark Kenyon got to go first, Yanni. But what would you like to add?
Speaker 4: It's pretty solid. It's pretty solid. Now that I heard it, I might have to retract my earlier statement.
Speaker 5: The seriousness of tone in that in that short clip, I think, really is it odds with the mood in this room right now. So I'm just feeling a little conflicted.
Speaker 4: About Art doesn't want you to have fun when you're out there. White tail.
Speaker 1: Well, I tell this folk, I mean, Northeast Ohio is a great play. I mean, you have a short it's a short range weapon state, right, so it's a straight wall car tread if you want to shoot center fire, but you can. There's a shotgun, season, muzzleloader, season.
Speaker 3: Man cross pos.
Speaker 1: You want to own a shotgun, you got spring Turkey. That's big Turkey state. Lots of grouse and you can shoot a deer with with a shotgun there, so barrier to entry is pretty low. Lots of lots of cool, cool stuff in Northeast Ohio.
Speaker 2: I got two piece of advice for James. First one would be Randall Williams is from Ohio, so reach out to him. He'll tell you all his spots, give you all his connections.
Speaker 3: Opposite corners of the state.
Speaker 2: Though it doesn't matter salty Chile spaghetti.
Speaker 5: I think. I think if you, if you want to kill a deer in Ohio, find a place where you are allowed to hunt. And at least when I was growing up by a crossbow go buy a Barnett Rhino or whatever the entry level crossbow is these days, and that's how we figured things out.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of deer in Ohio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I just saw a giant two hundred plus inched buck just got whacked on public land in Ohio.
Speaker 2: It's a good state. I'd like. I've never hunted Ohio. I've always wanted to hunt Ohio, but the public land in that part of the country hunts a lot bigger than other places because you have these rolling hills that are really timbered. So there's a lot of opportunities.
Speaker 1: Oh, explain, hunts big. That's a great hunting phrase.
Speaker 2: Hunting big would be like if you had two eighty acre parcels, one of them was seventy acres of corn with ten acres of timber and slew grass that are flat that hunts small, Whereas if you had eighty acres of rolling hills with creek bottoms, that would hunt big. You feel like you don't see everything when you're hunting that eighty acres versus if you're hunting the eighty acres that's all cornfield and a little bit of slew and timber. So Ohio I think a lot of the public land there hunts bigger than other parts of the Midwest. Here's the other thing I'd say to James. As someone who picked up a new hobby during the pandemic, which was rock counting, I learned so much of what I know now, or like gained a foundational level of knowledge just through watching YouTube videos a lot and a lot of YouTube videos, and deer hunting is no different.
Speaker 1: You're not going to be young because, like you couldn't identify a rock before, you can find the Internet held the tube as well.
Speaker 2: I mean, it sure got a lot easier. The barrier to entry is much.
Speaker 1: Always run away from you. You couldn't figure out how to where to find them.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, So James, uh, YouTube is going to help you out. It's probably not going to be the reason you kill a deer, but you'll you'll find a lot of relatable content there from meat Eater and others. Anybody else have any advice for James?
Speaker 6: I mean, finding a mentor is huge. But if you're struggling to find a mentor or you know, schedules don't align, just go out go hunting. You'll make mistakes, but you'll.
Speaker 3: Got to put yourself out there.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 4: Just find a spot so that there's deer everywhere. Find a spot you know you can hunt legally and learn it. Learn that landscape, learn that property, whatever it is. Maybe go knock on some doors. You can get yourself a spot where you don't have to have any competition. But yeah, I think learning the landscape really helps people be successful.
Speaker 1: And don't think that you need to dedicate whole days. Like whole days and multiple days in a row are fantastic, but those are hard to come by. So if you can find a spot that's close to you where you can kind of eliminate that like, oh, it's not worth going out type of mentality. Man, you can learn so much by those fifteen minute, twenty minute hour long sessions where you know it's like, sure you got to you know, it could be home washing clothes or something.
Speaker 5: But we know you don't need to do that very often.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we already covered that.
Speaker 2: All right, James is gonna kill a big old buck in twenty twenty five. Here's the next question. This is from Joe. For those with kids, what are your go to places to getting quality youth hunting base layers and outerwear for cold weather hunts. We put our two fathers on this side of the table. They even dressed the same today.
Speaker 1: They just got back from an audition to be the next Brownie paper towel man.
Speaker 4: Some great dad jokes too.
Speaker 2: We go, Yanni, Corey, how do you outfit your kids when you're going out hunting or just doing anything.
Speaker 3: In cold letthers?
Speaker 4: You know, I'll be honest and that, you know, I get a pretty steep discount with the old first light. And even one of my girls were they make an extra extra small in women two x small I believe so. Oh and so even when they were super small, we could fit them into that, you know, and then we just did the hand me down thing as we grew up into them. So that's one way to do it. I mean, obviously you're getting the highest quality of youth, but that's you know, it can be expensive. I think you can do uh an ari I I mean these days synthetic bass layers. I mean, let's be honest, like it's if it's polyester's polyester, right, you can go get some knockoff stuff at Target. Probably if it's not cotton, you're probably gonna get pretty close to similar benefits from buying super expensive synthetic bass layers, and it's gonna get the job done for you. Then when your kids trash it or grow out of it, you're not out a bunch of money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Corey, I don't know if Marshall's been on too many haunts yet, but I assume he's done some skiing with you. How do you get him dressed for those?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you kind of took the answer right out of my mouth.
Speaker 1: That was a weird way of saying skiing. What wash? Do you not like skiing?
Speaker 2: What's your deal like skiing? I didn't think I said it weird skiing along with you? Yeah?
Speaker 6: No, ski anyway?
Speaker 2: I competent, I'm not. I don't feel like I'm gonna go out there and do a green and break my arm. So that's that's the sweet spot for me.
Speaker 6: I mean, my kid's only six. We've gone on one spring turkey hunting, multiple fall and winter squirrel hunts, so actually, yeah, wearing ski gear is what we've been doing. I mean, just staying warm is so crucial, and then having two, if not three, backup pairs of clothes because inevitably they're getting wet and uncomfortable, so having backup boots, socks, gloves, just to keep them out there as long as you can is what I do. And then for like bass layers, man, we just go to Costco and get the good, solid synthetic stuff for nine dollars.
Speaker 2: I've ran into Corey twice at Costco. If I was trying to pattern him, to assassinate him, I just go to Costco and then Winco because I know he goes to Winco as well.
Speaker 6: Meet me in the food court line at about eleven ond Yeah, and I assume with ski gear they make that for kids of like all sizes, just like little tykes, oh yeah, to teens yep, little guys. Yeah, so warm and comfy.
Speaker 2: Anything else to add from the fatherless people in the room, goodwill, Well, I have a father, Thank you very much. I'm sorry the childless the childless people. Of course, you have a father.
Speaker 5: What do you think cal if you're gonna dress up a little kid?
Speaker 4: Well, remember the question is where, where where do you find them? Well? Good?
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you randall. So a ton of my hunting stuff came from the Saint Vincent to Paul Church thrift store, and my grandma worked at and so you know, should cherry pick the fifty wool items for us? I mean yeah, I mean that's that's the stuff to grab, especially if folks are gonna if they're really hard on stuff, or if they're going to grow out of it, right, I mean go recycled.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I just say, find a well to do family with kids slightly older than yours and get their hand me downs and pattern kids are always getting made, you know, and it's just like you find an age class slightly about yours and position yourself to benefit from.
Speaker 4: That that work. We've gotten a lot of hand me downs from families.
Speaker 3: That for some.
Speaker 5: Advice from the childless side of the room here, or.
Speaker 2: Just don't have kids like me, callan Randall. Here's the next question. This is from Adam What qualities should I look for when picking boots to hunt elk? And Wyoming? What are your go to boots for a western elk hunt? To answer this question here is Jason Phelps.
Speaker 8: He's probably should I look for when picking boots to elk hunt Wyoming? And then what are my go to boots on a western elk hunt? So the qualities I'm looking for, it really depends on where you're hunting, what type of hunt you've gotten, and really how tough your feet are. Everybody's a little bit different and everybody's foot shapes a little bit different. So a boot that may work perfect for me, may not work for you, may not work for somebody else. So you need to try all these boots on number one, they need to fit. So that's one quality you need to have. You need to fit your heel pocket based on what insoles you have. You need to make sure you don't get hotspots on steep stuff down and uphill. But then as far as where are you hunting, If you're above tree line and the steep stuff, you know, hunting above the you know the goats and you know mountain goats and sheep, then you're gonna want a booth that's typically stiffer. You're gonna want a boot that's typically taller. Is you put more stress on your feet, you're gonna And then if I'm hunting the sage brush maybe flatter stuff in Wyoming, I'm gonna go for a boot that's more flexible, something that you know my foot won't fatigue is quickly. And even though I'm in a more flexible boot, versus if you take that flexible boot up high and the steep stuff at your foot may fatigue throughout the hunt. And then as far as what are my specific go to boots on a western el cut, I found that the Crispy bricks All line of boots works best. So they've got like a four flex rating uninsulated boot I wear on a lot of my September hunts. You know, went on a sheep hunt this year. I chose their Pro which is two inches taller and a stiffer you know sol on that boot, so I didn't flex as much for the steep stuff. So for me, Krispy Brickstall and all those boots work really well. But really, you got to go try boots on, make sure they fit your foot, make sure they're comfortable, and uh, that's my recommendation on western elk cutting boots.
Speaker 2: Johanni, you tackle this one after Jason. What do you have to add about finding the right boots for an elk hunt?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean Jason covered it very well there. They I would add is oftentimes, like an archery season, when I know I'm gonna have to be sneaky because I want to get in close for an archery shot is that the boots need to perform both in hiking, you know, climb aircross mountains, then also in those last fifty yards when you're getting in closed and so I'll have to go with a boot that is kind of under not undersize, but it's not what you consider like a mount big mountain boot, right because I need it to be soft enough so that at the end when it's go time, I can maybe run a little bit very comfortably. I can be very sneaky and quiet. Usually the bigger the boots get, the burlier they get, the soul gets stiffer. The stiffer boot is, the noisier the boot is. There's nothing like sneaking through the woods and a pair of running shoes like the elk cannot hear you coming. So that's something to consider. But otherwise I think Jason covered it pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's not even mountain like even like right now or yesterday. Now with our current warming trend to what we're going through, which is so annoying. Walking through fields that are frozen with a full shank stiff mountain boot is very unpleasant because there's just no flex in that boot. But you take that boot onto steep terrain, shale rock and it's the best it's your it's your best friend. So you do having a little bit of a quiver some options throughout your season is great. And yeah, I would say it'd be don't automatically assume that you need like a fully lined boot, like a gore Tex liner, because that's going to be a more expensive boot, or an insulated boot is gonna you know, it's going to perform well only in a specific range of temperatures. So if you're hunting in a warm day, then you're gonna sweat that boot out from the inside and it's it's not going to perform well for you. So I would really cause folks to really analyze their season before they go into an insulated boot.
Speaker 4: I sure do. And then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the you know, there's a everybody's like what is the boot? And people have very different feet, just like your fingerprints. So there's a gajillion boot companies out there for a reason. They all have different lasts, which is like the footbed form of the boot, and and that's because people have different feet. So don't think that just because you need a hunting boot, you need to look at hunting boot companies. If you're not finding success in hunting boot companies, you know, go look at the Loas and the Scarpas and and that mountaineering world too. You know, these companies exist for a reason.
Speaker 6: So Randall Corey, anything to add footbeds, I mean, yeah, gets you a good boot, but do not skimp on solid footbeds.
Speaker 3: That you get.
Speaker 2: That's not very that's not a real expensive upgrade either.
Speaker 6: No. I mean you could spend fifty to one hundred bucks easily with some over the counter stuff, or just go to your local ARII or whatever, or you could get some custom ones that might run you a couple hundred dollars. But anything is going to be better than what you buy. It's pretty sad you spend five hundred bucks on a boot and the footbed is garbage. So make sure you get a better footbed.
Speaker 5: I would only add that, Uh, I think the more I I guess like over time, I've come to prefer a lighter and lighter boot, just because heavy boots wear you out and you like can't wait to get them off. So if you don't need something like super high and super stiff, I think like things in the lighter end of you know, there's I have like a spectrum of boots, but I often find myself if I can get away from it, going with like a lighter option, just because it's more comfortable and.
Speaker 3: You never want to take them off.
Speaker 2: The only thing I'd add to this is I've had really bad luck ordering hunting boots online. As far as sizing goes, it seems that more than casual footwear or tennis shoes or dress shoes, hunting shoes or bass slides, yeah, any of that, the sizing is much more variable. And so if you can find a boot that you can go try on in person, it'll make your life easier than having to order something online and be prepared to then make a couple returns.
Speaker 4: You ha to piggyback on Randall's point there, and Jason even mentioned it, like if you're hunting elk above the mountain goats, that happens to like zero point five percent of the elk hunters in our country annually. It's just not a thing usually where you're hunting above the mountain goats, so you don't need boots that are made for that alpine shale, super rocky landscape. Because you're just not there that much. The elk are usually in the timber.
Speaker 2: Moving on, next question is from Christa. My family eats a lot of ground venison, with burgers, tacos, and chili firmly in our rotation. What are some other weaknight meals with ground meat that are easy, tasty and outside of the norm cal. What could you recommend to Christa?
Speaker 4: Larb?
Speaker 1: Hmmm, that's good stuff.
Speaker 2: What larb is really outside of the norm carry?
Speaker 1: I mean it's it's just finely chopped or ground meat.
Speaker 4: And what is it title?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you know, make like let us wrap tacos, make a little sauce that's totally a winter and it's you know, it's a little sweet ginger garlicky, little red chili in there.
Speaker 4: That's to do some larb tomorrow ground pulled out. I needed an idea. There we go.
Speaker 2: Okay, someone else makes some recommendations for Christa and Yanni.
Speaker 5: We we have a delightful uh North African meatball recipe.
Speaker 3: From the New York Times. Oh and we just had it last night.
Speaker 5: Little couscous but they're like these little meatballs and kind of a it's almost like a I don't know, it's almost like a you've had those, haven't you.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: I put a lot of trust into the New York Times recipes. I haven't been left solid.
Speaker 5: The New York Times recipes will not they will not lead you astray. But yeah, this this North African meatball thing.
Speaker 2: Uh. And to be clear, if you're new to cooking wild game, if you find a recipe from The New York Times, you can just you know, use venison place of ground beef. Yeah, and and basically anything.
Speaker 5: We'll make like whole sheet like cookie sheets of these meatballs and then make the sauce and then Phillip gallon baggies with meatballs and sauce and freeze them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so royal the meatballs to cook them.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, but yeah, it's like last night we had people over for dinner, and we didn't tell them that would pull these out of the freezer and just simply reheated them, But we did and they loved it.
Speaker 2: In a similar not, we make a lot of pot stickers at my house. A few times a year. We'll set aside a Saturday, we'll just get the Wanton wrappers that we get from Elbertsons. But I think they sell the same exact ones at Walmart and high V whatever your grocery store is, and that makes ground venicson go a really long ways. We'll do a one to one ratio of ground meat and vegetables slash mushrooms. And I think this last time we made three hundred potstickers in one going. And then that's a super easy freezer meal to get out. You freeze them in whatever portion makes sense for your family size. You get those out and you can be serving them within fifteen fifteen minutes. And they're just really easy to make, both like prepping them for the freezer and coming out of the freezer. So potstickers highly recommend YEP, and you can make them to your liking. There's like a certain vegetable or flavor profile that you really like or really dislike. Your potstickers can be unique to your taste.
Speaker 1: Basically every culture has a pot sticker too, so like if you want to put like marinara sauce and mozzarella in there, like, shoot, it's not that crazy.
Speaker 2: Wantan rappers are a great vessel for just like any meats and veggie.
Speaker 1: We filmed a standin sticker with chef Linda here in town.
Speaker 2: Is that hummingbird?
Speaker 1: Yeah, kitchen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been looking to go to some of her meals.
Speaker 4: You should do it.
Speaker 1: It's super super cool and Linda's who she's, She's super fun. But that should be on the media YouTube channel. And we do do we do do Wanton's January fourteenth.
Speaker 6: That should be on the.
Speaker 4: Oh son of a Gun.
Speaker 2: There this guy here, Yanni Cory unique ground venison meals besides burgers, tacos, and chili.
Speaker 6: Man, it's not unique, but y'all ever had hamburger helper?
Speaker 4: I do it without the box grew.
Speaker 6: I made help meat, little can of like cream, a mushroom, and then your favorite vegetable, can of corn, can of green beans, peas, whatever, and then some noodles on top of that.
Speaker 4: You can call it a goulash.
Speaker 6: Turns out yep, one pot meal.
Speaker 5: Depending on how runny it turns out, you can lunch correct.
Speaker 4: You know. We do a lot of meatballs too, usually Italian flavor profile. But we do the same thing that Randall does, is and we make hundreds and then freeze them and usually around twenty it's is what you can get into a leader uh vacuum seal bag. But those are great, and so do you put sauce in there? No? No, no, no no.
Speaker 5: Did did we cover meat loaf?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean I assume part of this is part of this.
Speaker 5: If I mean, if I just if it wasn't explicitly mentioned in there, I think we should just point out meat loaf should be celebrated.
Speaker 4: Stuff to move and different styles of burger. You know, oftentimes my kids like we don't like burgers anymore. I'll be like, what about smash burgers? Oh yeah, you know, so like okay, I'm gonna make them real thin.
Speaker 2: On the topic of meat loaf, though, I think when I think a meat loaf, there's like the meat loaf my mom made, which I don't like, and then there's like like an elevated version of meat loaf recipes you can find online and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is just using more bacon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, you know, using some cheese and sauteed spinach and just some other herbs and spices and and that's like that's a unique weaknight meal.
Speaker 3: Anybody could make it home great liftovers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean there's there's no end like pocket food, right, Like, so like we're talking, so Wanton's pirogis, pasties empenadas.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, in the media dot com post new recipes every week. I bet the most common protein in those recipes is probably ground meat. So the mediator dot com backslash recipes you'll get all kinds of good recommendations there. Next question, this is from Coal. I was wondering what you think the most doable DIY big game hunt would be out west. Some considerations would be tag attainment and public land access. I imagine you guys are gonna have the same answer, but I would say an analttle punt. It takes like the least amount of gear, least amount of time, the least amount of physical fitness. If you're coming from the Midwest or the east of the South and this is your first Western hunt. The tags are like the same price or cheaper than deer tags in a lot of these states. Public land access like these days.
Speaker 4: I mean it used to be a thing where you could get a bunch of prong horned tags, and now it's like there obtainable. I mean unless you have some private access.
Speaker 2: What I would say to Cole is this is a hunt you could plan for twenty twenty seven or twenty twenty eight, but you're probably not doing a good rifle analope hunt this coming fall.
Speaker 5: I'm going to go with another big game option that starts with the letter A, and that is antlerless.
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 5: Find a cow tag, find a dough tag, often cheaper. You're gonna have the same experience you're gonna take home there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're gonna take home meat.
Speaker 5: You're not going to feel like things are as competitive as if you're gunning for a big Bucker Bowl. So yeah, if you just want to go make some memories and check out a new part of the country, I'd look into those options. And oftentimes those tags are cheaper as well, in addition to being more available.
Speaker 2: And anelope and analysts have a lot higher success rate for hunters out there. What do you guys have got to add to.
Speaker 4: This black bear?
Speaker 2: Oh over the counter at a different time of year.
Speaker 4: Yep, just made a face.
Speaker 6: Yes, some of us don't know how to kill him, or at least have a curse and are somehow allowed to kill him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's more of a learning curve to it, though, I would say coming out for the first time.
Speaker 6: A lot of states have two seasons for him. Some regions have overabundant numbers of black bears, So save a couple deer, go.
Speaker 4: Shoot a black bear. Be honest, Yeah, I was gonna go on what Randall said. I was going to just say, go get a dough tag. You know, very doable, very attainable. You can just drive around looking for a dough but you can.
Speaker 1: You can hunt your butt off too if you want to do it. Yeah, so there's a bunch of ways to go back country.
Speaker 2: Call any other advice for Coal on how to plan his first doable di y big game hunt out West.
Speaker 1: Boy, the biggest limitation people put on themselves is time. Give yourself time, and that's the hardest thing to acquire in my opinion. But boy, give yourself like a full week no matter what you do. Or more like, if you want to do your first big game hunt and you're like, I'm gonna take a long weekend, you're just setting yourself up for not having a great experience. You you can have a surprisingly good experience, but it's just gonna be you're gonna have that clock ticking in the back of your brain the whole time.
Speaker 2: It seems like when you're short on time, you end up thinking about like work or family stuff that's going on. If you've got a full week, you'll have some extra time built in on the beginning and end of that yep.
Speaker 5: And if the trip starts out poorly, you can just totally reset and you still have another three day hunt on the back half.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: Next question from Kevin, This is a short one. What's your go to hunting and fishing snack? To answer this one, here is Brent Reeves.
Speaker 5: My go to hunting snack.
Speaker 2: I usually keep it in my side beside, and I keep.
Speaker 10: It in an army can like this tragic and here it is potted meat Beannie Waeney's some cheese crackers.
Speaker 11: Now, if you won't get bold and make a meal out of it, this is what I do. Also like vienies, but I don't eat the when it's cold, because get a little sav on them when that jail kind of sticks to the weens.
Speaker 10: But it's right here, potted meat, the cheese crackers. My brother Stem and I ate this. Just the other day we was running the nuts on the river.
Speaker 11: We needed a little snack with all them finishes sapping all the wind out there.
Speaker 10: That's while we was out there pulling in here. It is right here, these tras potted meat.
Speaker 2: It's good. It's good, I believe, what a treat. You should go watch this on YouTube because you'd get to see Brent preparing his little lunch there. And this is how organic that was for brand I sent an email last night at like nine pm asking everyone to make these videos by noon. So that was just what Brent had on hand. This is that's truly like his favorite hunting fish and snack. He didn't go out and then, you know, produce this content.
Speaker 5: We just had to go to the old army can.
Speaker 2: That's right, Randa favorite hunting and fishing.
Speaker 4: First, I want to know if anybody in this room has had that meat that he just pulled out, well, potted meat, Like there's a wide variety of can meats, okay, because that almost looked like.
Speaker 2: A pat ta, looked like cat food.
Speaker 4: I don't know what that was. I mean, I enjoyed pat a right, but I don't really know what that what he know.
Speaker 2: I think the other thing he was referencing with Vienna sausages, yeah, which.
Speaker 4: I thought that was the go to in that part of the country was uh they say, enis.
Speaker 2: Randall go to hunting and fish and snack.
Speaker 5: Man. Uh. This past year, I just ate a lot of peanut butter and jellies. Like a lot of times. A lot of times I I like, get a gallon zip lock bag and fill it up. Oh, I'll have some nuts, I'll have some jerky, I'll have some like a power bar. I'll have this and that, and then I like, just don't eat it. And I just this year is like, I'm gonna make four peanut butter and jellies and at any point in the day if I get hungry, I have one and it's perfectly satiating, and I will I'll consume all the calories I need and I won't have to think about what I'm picking out of the bag and whether or not I'll want to eat it, because I always want.
Speaker 3: To eat peanut butter and jelly.
Speaker 2: How about you, cal.
Speaker 1: Obviously like it's it's all dependent on situation. But Randall got to experienced a little bit of hunting camp with some of the crew that I grew up horse packing with this year, and no matter what's happening, there's at some point the little smokies that we scaled in a pan and eat little little smokey's out of a pan and that was always like an awesome deal.
Speaker 4: Is that just a miniature hot dog?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly. You know they're cocktail weenies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like for making pigs in a blanket.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then smoked oysters. He I mean, there were just like a thing when I was grown up, and I still love them and occasionally I'll just have that for dinner by myself here and you know, in a home, in an actual.
Speaker 4: A smoked oyster. But man, in the woods, it's just such a mess maker. And then you got that greasy can left over. You almost need a vessel to get the cant and you're backpacking out of the woods.
Speaker 1: I don't do it backpacking anymore because of that. And it's just like, you know, you end up like packing dirt in there to try to like soak it up, and then you're like, well then I dumped the dirt out and it's all a mask. You're you're correct, But yeah, so I do. Pro bars is like a staple and it's not something that like I really enjoy at all. And the refrigerator bars, the what are those ones? The they're supposed to be refrigerated, Yeah, there's a few of them out there.
Speaker 4: There's a Bozeman local company, is that the one you're thinking of? They make that product. It's like called Jack and Jane.
Speaker 5: Or maybe I should know because I picked up those packages from your front door and put them in your refrigerator.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's like almond butter or whatever, like in a bar, peanut butter in a bar, and those are a big deal. And then yeah, at this point, I just don't even mess around with like trail mixes and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: I'll actually gone back towards trail mix a little bit more, but custom making it. Yeah, like going to Costco, I get the big bag of cashew's, the big bag of cranberries, some mango slices and that way. When I go in there, I'm like, oh, this is all stuff that I like that I want to consume because there's nothing worse than looking at that trail mixing like, yeah, you're like white chocolate. Yeah, a few.
Speaker 2: My favorite hunting fish and snack always has been, I think always will be our apples because it's good at any temperature, whether it's eighty degrees or twenty degrees, and it also keeps me regular when you're like, you know, on a five day hunt or something like that. That's an awful feeling when you just can't go to the bathroom. And if you're eating apples, that's never the case. It's a natural diuretic at least for me, so apples or go to And then also this year, this is the first time I had honey stinger stuff and we had to have a bad product from honey stick. Their waffles they're they're like energy gels. Some of them have caffeine in them. I'm a really big fan of those, so apples honeystinger stuff.
Speaker 4: I sing to add to some apples too, as you can get those Justin's peanut butter packets or hazelnut butter packets if you need just a little more protein or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good like at five am, and it's good at five pm in Apple and they keep that's right, like I said, eighty degrees or twenty degrees.
Speaker 5: All this stuff applies to peanut butter and jelly's too.
Speaker 1: Well, like the dark chocolate Justin's peanut butter cups. Oh yeah, you know, I'll like.
Speaker 4: It's an expensive item, but they are good. It is. But like when I'm.
Speaker 1: At night, I'm heating up my meal or whatever. I always boil enough water for my meal, and like a cup of tea, which could just be you know, like one of those salt packet meals or liquid iv or something thrown in water, but it's you know, hot flavored drink. And then we'll have my like dark chocolate peanut butter cup and that's like my whole whole backpacking dinner right there.
Speaker 2: Of course, is there a universal snack you could bring guiding that anybody would eat and enjoy?
Speaker 5: Jerky?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: And it also every bite reminds you while you're out there there's a home major and I don't know the store bought stuff's okay, Man, it's expensive these days though, so some homemade venison jerky.
Speaker 1: It's all these damn diet trends getting into the jerky.
Speaker 4: World, the whole carnivor. Yes, I've been souping up the PBNJ a little bit the last few years. And uh, Jess Johnson, you know, from Artemis down there in Wyom, and she turned me onto it and just do it on a tortilla instead. Yeah, maybe you need a little less bread in your life. Maybe not. Maybe just a different flavor. But then I also have been putting in like a slice of two a bacon and then peanut butter jelly bacon.
Speaker 2: It's real canvas that'll set you free.
Speaker 4: Brother.
Speaker 2: I'll buy jack Links every now and then, just hoping that there's gonna be like a little note and sign saying I can come hunt their property like I want an award. They own like twenty thousand acres of badass ground in western South Dakota where they raise the cattle that turned into the beef that you eat. So someday, some day I'm gonna open up that package and it's gonna say, congratulations, you want a mule deer hunt.
Speaker 4: I think you're very sneakily right now, just like throwing.
Speaker 2: What I'm doing.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, it's not.
Speaker 5: Even sneaky's into the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not even sneaky. And their names are the Lynx. Oh the way you're kidding, No, it's l I n K. The Lynx make their own sausage too.
Speaker 3: That's amazing, all right.
Speaker 2: Their next question is from side. My family has always owned dogs, but now we're ready to own the dog. The was all capitalized a dog that hunts and is a great with the family, the kind of dog you remember long after they're gone. Does the crew have any recommendations for how to pick the right breeder or pup And to answer this question here is Tony Peterson.
Speaker 12: We should always be looking for the dog that's like the best dog ever I think anyway. But you know a lot of people focus on the off switch, which is sort of a minor thing, even though it doesn't seem like it. You just train that in like any you can train any dog to be a good dog in your house. You can't train a dog to have extra drive out in the field. So for me, that's my focus when I'm picking a pup or I have somebody looking for, you know, a litter for me, and so I forget about the individual dog and look at the blood like you want to check out the pedigrees. And for me to get a lot of drive, I like to have some hunt test and some field trial you know, competitors, champions in the mix somewhere in there. At the very least, you know you're going to get a dog that really likes to work, is intelligent, it's going to be an athlete, and there's gonna be a lot of good health checks that come along with that, and that's the way you're going to get the drive that you're gonna have to work with. And then you're gonna to take that pup home and just train that off switch.
Speaker 2: Cal how did you select Snort?
Speaker 4: What the hell?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 1: I liked a lot of what Tony just said, because yeah, the drive is is what you need, and it's hard to like encourage more drive if that's what you're looking for. It's it's way better to try to train for the off switch so folks can't see it.
Speaker 4: But smart here here, come on.
Speaker 1: Snort's been here the whole time, and this dog's got an incredible amount of drive and runs bad out of hell and and has all the things, sometimes too much of them in the field. But she's just been crashed here on the floor for I mean hours, and she's four, which you know is plenty old for some folks. But I know a lot of people listening probably have that dog. You're like, you know, that dog's eight and everybody still thinks it's a puppy. And I think hunting is is a great way to take dogs that have a ton of drive. And these dogs understand they're like, Oh, here's where all my energy and neuroticism go into this thing that like really clicks with with that little doggy soul. And I think there's a lot of knucklehead Labrador retrievers out there.
Speaker 4: They are that way because they.
Speaker 1: Don't they don't get a hunt. I picked Snort exactly like Tony said, So I said, hey, I want a dog that is a little hard headed and has some independence. And when I went and picked her up, I still have a video of it. She had a pink collar. A lot of these breeders, they're like, yeah, they tie ribbons around them or color code them somehow, some way, And she was the only puppy that was not like up at the gate paying attention to what's going on. But when I walked in, all the puppies got up on the gate and they were like, oh, something interesting's happening. And then the pink collar girl turned around and all the puppies just spread out of the way, and Snort came up to the fence and was like hmm. And at that point I was like, oh, man, maybe I shouldn't have done this.
Speaker 2: The spiritual at that point.
Speaker 4: Well, I was.
Speaker 1: I interpreted it more as like, oh, that's the alpha female in this thing, and she's like all the puppy litter was like, get out.
Speaker 4: Of her way.
Speaker 1: She's picking you're picking her. I don't think she was picking me. I think she's just like sizing things up. So but the plane ride home and everything, she was like, oh, I am I need I need a friend here because this is scary scary stuff and uh and that's where the bond was was formed initially. So but yeah, I like I like that. I like higher drive, more competitiveness, stuff like that. You know, you can train out some bad behaviors, it's just hard to build them in.
Speaker 4: I feel bad.
Speaker 2: You can hear Tony talk about more of those things on Foundations right now, on which.
Speaker 1: I think is a very unique dog podcast in the world of dog podcasts out there. I think this is a unique take. So Tony's doing an awesome job.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel bad for all of the dogs that this family has had prior to this moment because they're not remembered. They're just like cast off, forgotten, and you know, I don't even know if they got a proper burial.
Speaker 1: But deep down, when those they said, time is quit messing around.
Speaker 5: When those dogs look in the mirror, they know what they're looking at. Do you think they're really a dog?
Speaker 2: Not the dog?
Speaker 4: Not the dog?
Speaker 2: Yeah? How many trips did you make to the pound before you found mingus?
Speaker 4: I only made one.
Speaker 2: Could you have an inside source there?
Speaker 4: No? No, because at the time what had happened is I had been researching dogs way too long, like over a year. Maybeing coming on too, and it got to the point where my family said, f this. We're just ready for anything with fur and at least a couple of legs and we'll be good, you know, we just need something to rub on. And so I just got a phone call that said, hey, we're heading down to the Stafford Shelter and Livingston. They've got a bunch of blue tick coon hounds. You know, if you want any input on this, you better come down too. So on the way there, I'm like, call my buddy Jake, who runs hounds. I'm like, hey, what do you know about blue tick coon hounds? You know, because looks like we got a chance. So the way we picked out a dog is that basically by the time I got there, I got there just in time to see the guy from the shelter, basically shoving my kids into the cage with the puppies and locking the lash behind him, and then they just had a ball in there. And yeah, they picked out the mild mannered one.
Speaker 2: Oh so there you had other options there besides Mingus.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there were two others that were definitely at that moment in time. It's hard to tell because Mingus looked emaciated and I think that he probably, if I had to guess, the other two males were just stronger, tougher and when there was any food around, Mingus was not getting a bite, right because the other two were pushing him out of the way. Maybe he was literally a bag of bones. And so yes, we could have picked what was seemed to be more you know, aggressive, more energetic, definitely healthier looking in the moment dogs, but we went with the mellow one. Mingus was.
Speaker 1: Mingus is huge, right, I mean he's not as he's probably not as big as.
Speaker 2: He let him.
Speaker 4: He will easily hit one hundred pounds, big boy.
Speaker 1: And I brought Snort home, you know, at like seven and a half weeks, little tiny puppy, and Mingus is the first dog. Because we were watching Mingus at the time. So I got brought a snort home and put her down in her kennel and just opened the door and was like, don't drag her out of there, let her have her space. And then eventually she crept out and crawled into bed with Mingus. I mean he wanted to.
Speaker 4: I mean they're good to cute Randal.
Speaker 1: Mingus is giant dog, like real hunting dog, like gentle old soul man, good good dog.
Speaker 2: Randall. You think you own as many dogs as everyone else in here combined? Yes, how did you pick those?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 5: Our most recent dog was a rescue from a breeding operation, so we got her when she was six and a half and just a delightful animal, terrified of everything, people mostly, But we didn't really have choices there. We saw this Facebook post that they were trying to find a new home for this dog, and so that's how we got Lil Dolly. We this was like the day or like the we're going to go to New Orleans for a wedding. The wedding got canceled because of COVID, so we're like, well, we're going to be home for a little while. It seems it seems like a good time to get a puppy, So we called around and tried to find a litter that was available within a five hour drive, and sure enough, we drove down to Saint Anthony, Idaho, and there were two puppies left in this litter and the one was like this, and then the other one was like this on top of it. And I can't remember if dollar. Yeah, I can't remember if Dolly was on the top or the bottom. But we were like, how bad. I mean, they're both doing cute things. Plus there aren't any other options, so we grabbed Dolly and drove home and then the lockdown order went into effect. Rosie. I don't know what we did to get so lucky to have Rosie, but yeah, none of our dog buying experiences. I probably if I just started from scratch and sketched out the playbook they it would in no way resemble how we got our dogs. But not applicable, Nope, nope. I mean asking how to buy a dog. Uh, that's a good hunting dog and that was going to make you proud in the field and it's going to be well behaved at home. Asking me that question is like, I don't know, asking someone who's never been in a serious relationship with their marriage advice is or something to that effect. I just I don't know. I have dogs, but they don't fit that profile, so it just exists. Yeah, yeah, like Dolly doesn't have an off switch. She just carries the tennis ball around and puts it in your lap.
Speaker 3: But we love her.
Speaker 6: Still, Corey, anything to add, Man, I don't really have a dog in this fight.
Speaker 2: Oh good one, All right, that's the next question is to our final question. This is from Nancy. What would y'all be doing if you didn't work at meat Eater? What's your dream job? And to answer this here is Clay Newcombe.
Speaker 4: I'm very interested to hear this, Spencer.
Speaker 13: You asked me what I would do if I didn't work for meat Eater and I was doing my dream job. Man, I'm really ambitious, and that would just shoot for the stars.
Speaker 3: I would like.
Speaker 13: To raise and train young mules and about every two years sell a crop of really high dollar finished mules. That would be part one of my entrepreneurial business because I've always valued independence over finances.
Speaker 5: So part one would be mules.
Speaker 13: Part two would be I would raise a few squirrel dogs every year. Now there's not a big there's not big money in squirrel dogs. Don't get the wrong idea, but you know, it'd be just enough to make it worth it. I'd probably have to supplement it with some manual labor. I've got a college degree. I mean, like, I could go work in the business sector or something maybe I don't know, and but that would just be ridiculous. I'm not gonna do that. So I would probably have to do stonework.
Speaker 5: That's kind of something that I do.
Speaker 13: I do masonry work. And lastly, I had commercial fish with Brent Reeds. Me and Brent Reeves would own the Southern fish market. That's my dream, dream entrepreneurial package right there.
Speaker 2: Be honest dream job raising mules and catching fish.
Speaker 10: Mmmmm.
Speaker 4: I think it'd be fun to learn how to how to train a mule, but not my dream job. You know. I have been thinking about that lately. I've been really getting into the habitat management thing over there in Wisconsin, and I could see it be.
Speaker 6: That.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I get jealous of those foresters and those people there doing that work, so I look at them and go, man, I think they might be spending more time outdoors than I am. You know, because even in the off season, right, they're just out in the woods working some way or another, you know. And uh, I don't know. I've been I've been digging, going into that rabbit hole and uh so I could see doing that.
Speaker 2: We had a trivia question before about the happiest profession in America. Uh, and it's forestry. People who work in forestry are the happiest, not just god like, not just happiest of folks. And like the outdoor industry or people who work outside, just the happiest in the entire country. Corey, how about.
Speaker 5: You a surf instructor in Costa Rica?
Speaker 2: Do you know how to surf?
Speaker 5: I can stand up on a surfboard.
Speaker 6: You can, Oh, yeah, okay, but I don't know if I'm technically zero Wayta Rica behind a boat on Whitefish Lake growing up.
Speaker 4: Oh, that don't count.
Speaker 6: Oh no, but it does translate into the ocean. Have you Have you gone in the ocean in Hawaii?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 6: But if I could, if I could afford it, I'd drop everything and move my family to Costa Rica and just live in a banana house on the beach.
Speaker 5: Given your for your long term health, I think it's a good thing that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, or a professional golfer golf courses aside.
Speaker 2: Corey is a great golfer.
Speaker 5: Can I be a magician?
Speaker 3: I mean, come on, what are we doing.
Speaker 5: The golfer?
Speaker 2: He is genuinely meat Eater's best golfer and he does it like once a year, sometimes once every two years.
Speaker 4: And I went out one days prior.
Speaker 2: But it for most people, golf isn't like that. Were like, you just don't play for a decade and then you go play and you're still good. Corey it is like that.
Speaker 1: Well, most people over think trip.
Speaker 2: Golfing is a lot. I could work the rest of my life to be as good as Corey and it wouldn't happen. I don't think genuinely my dream job, I would want to be a fantasy football commissioner for high rollers. Imagine leagues that have like a million dollar perse where I'm the commissioner for like Michael Jordan and Jerry Seinfeld and Snoop Dogg and every single week I'm like writing a newsletter for them. I'm hosting just an absolute banger draft party at the beginning of the year.
Speaker 1: I'll be honest with your Spencer. I can't imagine.
Speaker 2: It'd be great. I would design logos for each team. I'd have power rankings. I would be so good at that job, and I would just be like the fantasy football commissioner.
Speaker 1: I can't even tell you that I want that for you because I have no idea what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's good. The other thing to be, you know, like a hunting consultant. Maybe if like Jack Links, you know they need hunt for property, tell me more. Yeah, and then I'd go out there and be like, well, here's how I'd do it, and then they would pay me and I'd also get to hunt there. So I think I think that's the other one.
Speaker 4: They'd probably pay it enough that you just be able to buy your own twenty thousand acres m.
Speaker 2: Randall dream job. Oh besides playing meat eat to trivia, I was.
Speaker 5: Gonna say, playing professional basketball. I can shoot a basketball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're like, you're tall enough to be a point guard.
Speaker 3: Oh no, Yeah.
Speaker 5: I thought if we were just doing our dream jobs, we could arbitrarily change everything about ourselves. So i'd be six or eight.
Speaker 4: I don't think we've quite done that. I mean, Spencer did just kind of.
Speaker 2: That job does exist, though, one your dream job I mean so the surf instructor in Costa Rica and forestry.
Speaker 4: Jeez, six eight d.
Speaker 2: I should have small forward.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I should have thought about this more.
Speaker 2: Cal dream job. We'll come back to Randal while he thinks about it.
Speaker 4: Food truck for part of the year, that'd be great.
Speaker 5: Have you ever watched Gable?
Speaker 2: Have you ever watched a great American food truck race? Nothing, it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: Tell me more about why that would be a dream job for you.
Speaker 1: I really like food. I really like people appreciating the food that I cook. And here in bos Angelus, there's just like this horrible void of the breakfast sandwich market where it's like, man, you want to fork over fourteen dollars for just a crappy breakfast for anything?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: I don't, Man, it's here in Bozeman.
Speaker 4: It's very true.
Speaker 1: Oh, just ridiculously over complicated crap. So yeah, good coffee, breakfast sandwich, open until we're closed.
Speaker 4: Do you already know the makeup of this breakfast sandwich home? I want to hear.
Speaker 1: Well, the sandwich is egg McMuffin, okay, just like a nice solid egg McMuffin and American cheese.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Canadian bacon.
Speaker 4: No, God, butter with American bacon.
Speaker 2: Leave at Randall, is it butter on the muffin? Or what are we putting on the.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I do. But don't tell anybody because they love it. Yeah. So that that's one part of it.
Speaker 1: And then and yeah, I want like, you know, our reasonably sized uh you know, farm and grazing operation. And I want to live in the middle of it.
Speaker 5: Okay, Randall, I want to be uh. I want to be like a like a property manager. But like it's not it's not actually like some of like, oh, he's got a guy.
Speaker 1: You want to be like magnum p I. Yeah, he lives in that giant house and they're like.
Speaker 5: They're like, I don't really know what he does, but he seems to be comfortable and he has access to all of this stuff that he didn't earn. I'd like to be that he's got to get the boat. Oh you know, so and so is coming in for for a fishing trip. He's got to get the boats out, make sure the boats are all running well.
Speaker 2: And then you tell someone to get the boats.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly. I have like a couple like local teenagers that do most of the work for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but and you just shower them and wisdom.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, and uh but but I'm just sort of grumpy all the time despite this.
Speaker 1: You know where the name Evan Rude comes from.
Speaker 5: Embarrassingly comfortable situation that I've stumbled into. I think that would work well for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know about the food truck thing. It just seems hot in there.
Speaker 4: A lot of work do, Yeah, it's not like you're in a regular schedule.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Actually I was at a bar last year and there's there are two women and uh, they're just well and someone asked, no, what do you do?
Speaker 3: And she said, uh, she said.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm a I'm a I manage money. I'm a financial manager. And her friend said her friend sort of popped her balloon, and she's like, yeah, she just manages our money. Oh, and so that's what I like to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know, I'd learned the first year in Bozeman that the question of saying like what do you do for a living can be a little indelicate sometimes, So I've heard folks phrase it what what keeps you busy? And that's like interesting to saying what your career is or if you don't have a career. What you do instead?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd like to be a dilettante.
Speaker 5: With a vast portfolio.
Speaker 2: So we've got We've got Randall as the starting small forward for the Cleveland Cavaliers. Cal has the best food truck in Bozeman. I'm the Fantasy football commissioners.
Speaker 1: Only if you want breakfast sandwhich is my way.
Speaker 5: Coreys Cory's sun baked on a beach somewhere in Costa Rica for the next six years, showing people how to stand.
Speaker 4: On, drink coconut, giant oaks down, missing a limb.
Speaker 2: Build the engineer. What would be your dream job?
Speaker 4: Oh? Well, I'm pretty lucky because my dream job would be uh a podcast engineer for the Ringer dot com. Somebody help me. I would leave a heartbeat culture sports. I don't give a ship. Get me out of here.
Speaker 2: That is the end of the show. We're gonna cut it off right there. Happy New Year, Good luck that last. We'll see you next week with our regularly scheduled Meat Eater Radio Live programming
Speaker 13: MHM