Speaker 1: Welcome to this Evening's classic episode. Fellow conspiracy realist. I gotta be honest with you, we don't always line up our classics as well as we have done this time, but when we do buzz, when we do, it's totally on purpose.
Speaker 2: Definitely.
Speaker 1: Yeah for yeah, that's one hundred percent true. What are the Phoenix lights?
Speaker 2: Well, in March thirteenth, nineteen ninety seven, thousands of people in Nevada, Arizona, and Mexico reported seeing bizarre lights twinkling in the evening sky. Reminds us a whole lot about some weird bizarre sightings in some place called New Jersey.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, New Joysy. But the other thing is, guys, other people were seeing what appeared to be black objects, huge ginormous objects of in the sky that just had They were just shadows basically, with these lights attached to them.
Speaker 1: And even two decades after the fact, that lights are still considered one of the most significant UFO or UAP if you like sightings in recent history. And now thank you Fox News more than ever, folks are wondering about the weird stuff in the sky.
Speaker 3: Dudes. Before we move on, I want to show you an image of something that I took last night from my space binoculars.
Speaker 1: Nice. I like those.
Speaker 3: By the way, these are, it's kind of weird. There's some lensing going on because of the nature of the way I took the photograph. And the reason why I'm showing you guys this in particular is that you can trick yourself. If you're an amateur and you don't like me, You've got like a cool toy or something and you're trying to get optics working up there with light, Yeah, it can really trick your mind. I'm just putting that out travels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes.
Speaker 3: And the way it's going through that lens and then going into a camera that also has a lens attempting to capture that image.
Speaker 1: It looks like aura photography.
Speaker 3: It does exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, hey, let's jump into this very precience discussion of the Phoenix lights.
Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff. They don't want you to know. A production of iHeart Radios How Stuff Works.
Speaker 3: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Nolan.
Speaker 1: They call me Ben we are joined as always with our super producer Paul Mission Control decond. Most importantly, you are you, You are here, and that makes this stuff they don't want you to know. We'd like to do a check in at the beginning of the every show nowadays, right, feeling good, feeling great? How are you pretty good?
Speaker 3: Not too bad, not too great?
Speaker 1: Kin in the middle of the road.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I never feel like I have anything to add at this juncture of the sh I feel like I'm just like a blank slate.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll give you something now, I do it. Finally went to go see a movie after all these years of not seeing movies. I got to see the new Tarantino film.
Speaker 1: I really wanted to go with you guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah once once upon a time in Hollywood. Yeah, I have my daughter. And that's not kid friendly film, is it?
Speaker 1: It is?
Speaker 3: Not? No, certainly not. But in this film there is a small part for certain Kurt Russell, who you know, shows up in another Tarantino movie, and he has a really interesting connection to today's topic.
Speaker 1: He does yes, which will come to the forefront. Assume as always as you listen along, if the spirit so moves you give us a call and let us know your thoughts. You can reach us directly.
Speaker 3: We are one eight three three std WYDK.
Speaker 1: And if you are feeling particularly charitable, why not leave us a review on your podcast platform of choice. Do it? We we we enjoy it and every review. Every time we get a nice review, our uber boss appears in an obsidian mirror and grants us one more day of life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then he says, now get back out there and give some more ride sharing stuff, because I'm the uber Boss.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly exactly. Today we are diving into a phenomenon that many of our fellow listeners have asked us about. Over the course of years, gears and years and years. This has shown up and we've looked at it a little bit in the past. But now we are diving face first full into the deep water of the Phoenix Lights. To some people, the entire Phoenix Lights phenomenon is a cynical way of grabbing cash and some publicity. And you know, in some respects that is true. To others, it's one of the most well documented UFO sightings in recent history, due primarily to the video footage available and as well as the thousands witnesses on the ground and a few in the air at the time. So today's question is what happened? Where does the truth fall between these two rather divisive views. To answer that, we have to travel back in time. So here are the facts.
Speaker 3: We have to go back to March thirteenth, nineteen ninety seven, around eight pm, a little bit after that in Arizona, specifically in Phoenix, Arizona and the surrounding towns mostly north of that. Now, on this day, numerous reports all kinds of residents from all across this area start describing to police because they're making nine on one calls. They're making reports this all over the place of these mysterious lights that are in the sky. But here's the deal. If you went through and you cataloged every single one of the reports that occurred that night, you were going to hear a lot of different stories about what was actually seen. Some people describe seeing this strange V shaped formation or sometimes it's they called it a boomerang, and it just looks like, you know, like if you were looking at geese as they're migrating or something, flying V. A flying V yes, similar to that, with six lights, sometimes more, sometimes fewer, usually six or fewer that were actually.
Speaker 1: Observed, and other people amidst these thousands of witnesses claimed that they saw hovering lights, meaning lights that moved in discrete groups, or lights that appeared to fade after they had passed the observers. And again, most of these observers are stationary. They are on the ground. They do not they're not looking through various instruments. They're watching with the naked eye, so they'll have a hard time guessing the altitude.
Speaker 3: Yes, we see a large range in how high people believe these things are, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: So let's trace the events because we're fortunate in that this happened so recently, nineteen ninety seven, there's a wealth of technology that wasn't available in say, the fifties or the thirties. According to the National UFO Reporting Center, which is one of the only organizations that keeps an official record of these sightings, they received their first call on their UFO hotline that night from a retired cop in Paulden, Arizona. That's a small town a couple hours north of Phoenix. And then after that initial report, the hotline blew up. People were calling all over the place from locations south of Paulden, and that indicated to the reporting center that the aircraft or the UFO, whatever you want to call it, was heading in a southeastern direction. And some of the specifics from the reports are a little bit different. But USA today, a few months after the fact, in the summer of ninety seven, reported that there were several key observations. Here they are The craft was enormous. Witnesses described it sometimes as a mile wide. Two it made no noise, and three it moves slowly over Arizona, often stopping to hover in a single location.
Speaker 3: And now that is generally with the reports that describe it as one craft. Essentially that's flying together and all those lights are just represented attached to that craft right.
Speaker 1: Like on its belly. Right. So now we enter into a tricky situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 4: According to researcher Tony Ortega, there were actually two separate events on the night of March thirteenth. We have the mysterious v in question, that configuration of lights that so many people across the say witness that was seen over Prescott at about eight fifteen PM and then travels south to Phoenix at about eight thirty. Then it passed over Tucson. Finally at eight forty five. That's two one hundred miles in thirty minutes, which means the v was moving at about four hundred miles per hour.
Speaker 3: And remember what Ben said earlier, these people are generally stationary on the ground and they're observing it going in that direction, So it you know where it actually was above, you know, whatever location it was in that time span, give or take. It's give or take you know, miles. But still that's a big deal.
Speaker 4: Well, in this part's wild because you had a huge disparity in whether or not people were seeing it up high or down low.
Speaker 1: Literally, some early.
Speaker 4: Eyewitnesses perceived that it was high in the sky, and then you had others swearing that it was a low moving almost a hovercraft kind of the hovering very low and slow.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, some people described it as being right above their homes as it was going across, and that's been depicted over the years as that other people have seen it as well, above above the mountains, even because there are several large mountains, especially in the Phoenix, Arizona area kind of to the northeast, and people were describing it as coming over those there's a huge mountain. I think it's called Squaw Peak, right near the center of Phoenix, and people saw it come right over top of that mountain as well. Anyway, we'll get into more of the specifics later. It's just just think about how fascinating that would be to actually observe that.
Speaker 1: Sure. Yeah, and as we'll find, this is not uncommon for the residents of Phoenix, Arizona. Here's the second event that happens on the same night, March thirteenth. News of that eight thirty pm siding that you just described, NOL traveled very quickly and so more people were outside with video cameras when the second and unrelated event happened at about ten pm in the sky southwest of Phoenix. A string of lights appeared in the heavens and slowly sank until they disappeared behind the nearby astraya mountain range. So, given that there were two different events, one of the big questions is where people can inflating the reports. Did these two separate events happen so closely together in a chronological sense that later people are saying, well, I saw something weird too on the same night, so logically it's the same thing. I can see that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that makes also that would that would account for the disparity right in height.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, now what twenty two years later, yep, plus we are or how much has been conflated just historically Now at this point, after that initial day of reporting.
Speaker 1: It's weird and we'll see that mainstream media had an unusual role to play in this. But let's see what Uncle Sam said. Initially, lots of people freaked out. They contacted military bases in Arizona and they said, all right, what's what's going on? What's all the hubbub bub and the military bases every single one said, nothing unusual here, what are you what are you beefed up about? Or whatever? You know, that's military jargon again, and later these military bases and the government would change their story. So that's a little bit of foreshadowing. This is where we can see a little bit of that telephone game you're alluding to met and how quickly things got out of hand. So we said, the event happened, let's call it mid March. It did not become national news or even general knowledge until June eighteenth, nineteen ninety seven, when USA Today put out a story with the headline skies phone lines light up Arizona on their front page. Misinformation was already spreading like wildfire. Many people weren't sure exactly what they saw. Some time had passed. That means they were in a suggestible state. And we have a pretty accurate reenactment of how those kind of question answer sessions can go. So who wants to be the researcher? Who wants to be the witness?
Speaker 3: Researcher? Sure? Would you say it looks like a craft? Well, I don't know. It happened so fast. Perhaps it had a rough shape, a triangle, a boomerang. I guess, so maybe.
Speaker 1: Boom cut and print and seeing that's all it takes.
Speaker 3: The witness saw a boomerang.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, because now we have Now we have a witness who is very clearly not trying to like trick anybody, not out to get any money or you know, be on TV or whatever they're they're honestly thinking, well, I I yeah, I guess it could have been a boomerang or something like that. I thought that was very well acted.
Speaker 4: Can I can I point out really quick I really miss headlines like skies phones light up Arizona.
Speaker 1: It's just good economy of language. You know, the British are great at it, very good. I've got to send you those compendiums of brilliant headlines that are like that. Well some of them are very dirty puns, but I'll send it along. The question here now becomes what actually happened up there twenty two years ago, Phoenix, Arizona, nineteen ninety seven. We'll tell you after a word from our sponsors. Here's where it gets crazy. Let's rule out the theories. Guys, what do you say, Let's dive into Okay, let's dive into it UFOs.
Speaker 3: Okay. Sure, So the first thing that we can absolutely confirm is that something that was illuminated was in the sky on that night.
Speaker 1: Something definitely happened, yes, point checkplate.
Speaker 3: I mean for real, Because a lot of times, when you were thinking about these kinds of things, you have one or two witnesses, right, or you know a small handful of witnesses, and you have to just by critical, you know, by the way of thinking about these things critically, you have to question the veracity of a witness. Sure, in this case you still have to do that to an extent, but you have so many people seeing it that we can confirm that something was in the sky, something occurred, and there was video documentation and photography. There were a lot of photographs of that night. Now Here is where we bring in our friend Kurt Russell.
Speaker 1: Okay, lay it on me.
Speaker 3: Okay, So on a talk show, British talk show years ago. I think it was around the time that Guardians of the Galaxy one or two was coming out. I can't remember. He was in two. Okay, so he wasn't one too, but he was really prominent too well, Guardians of the Galaxy was occurring. Kurt Russell is on a British talk show. He's sitting next to Chris Pratt and the presenter brings up the Phoenix Lights. He just starts telling the story of the Phoenix Lights and Kurt Russell answers it wasn't even a question or anything. Kurt Russell just responds by saying, I know exactly what that was because I was the pilot that that actually called this in when he was coming into the airport. What And he tells a story about how he was taking his son, he had just got his pilot's license. He was taking his son, Oliver to go see a friend out in Phoenix, and he was flying out there and as he's approaching to land, he sees these six lights and he makes a report and describes him. He says, well, yes, they're unidentified. There's six lights. You don't have them on your radar. Well then that's odd. I'm just letting you know. And then he lands and goes about his day. But fairly odd that someone is prominent as Kurt Russell ends up being, you know, a pretty major witness to this phenomenon.
Speaker 1: It is he he has talked about it.
Speaker 3: He actually named the what is it the call not the call sign, but the tower or it's the the tail number or whatever of the plane. Like he calls out exactly what it was, Like, that's so cool.
Speaker 1: So he said he's all the plane and could even see the tail.
Speaker 3: No, he knew it because he was the pilot.
Speaker 1: Oh no, his plane. Okay, yeah, okay, that makes sense. I mean to me, it's not that weird because this is post big trouble in Little China where everything changed for.
Speaker 3: Him, is true, and he's just flying around and just seeing UFOs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you stare into the abyss man. So technically it's absolutely true for several months. The Phoenix lights were inarguably, regardless of how you feel about quote unquote aliens, they were UFOs. People had multiple, often contradictory ideas about what could have been up there. Some of these ideas were more plausible than others, so much more plausible than others. But the point is no one was completely sure. Ufologists hit the scene very quickly, and when they investigated this story they found wildly varying descriptions of the lights. This is again important as time wound on, descriptions included things that you had mentioned earlier, Matt, huge boomerang shaped aircraft, luminous globes, one of my favorites, spinning disco balls. Maybe those guys were already out partying with some hallucinogens or something, in which case they add an amazing night.
Speaker 3: It reminds me of descriptions of chariots of fire in ancient writings, of having our understanding of technology in current time, attempting to explain what we're seeing that is of a technology of a further advanced time. Yeah, that's just at least the image I get. I'm not saying that's what I think it is.
Speaker 1: Eric von Danikin. Yes, love to drop that name. It's true. Furthermore, ufologists believe still that the story goes much deeper than the two events that were reported. They often also insist the events or either related or the same phenomenon, and that the attempt to separate these events is either misguided or purposefully misleading. You have vo researchers say that before the lights were seen over Phoenix, they were spotted near Henderson, Nevada, and then afterwards they were spied in Mexico. And then they also say some people had strange reactions to the light, encountering temporary amnesia or reacting in an oddly unemotional way. Like they saw the lights, they stopped the car, no one said anything as they watched them in silence. And then when it was over, instead of going holy smokes, what was that, they said, all right, well, Denny's closes at ten, so ge get back on the road.
Speaker 3: I just want to point out really fast that Henderson, Nevada is very close to Las Vegas. It's on the outskirts and it's to the north west of Phoenix.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 3: So, like if you're imagining that line of travel down from generally Las Vegas. It's that same direction that it was reported earlier.
Speaker 1: That's perfect to orient ourselves geographically. Let's bring in the professionals, the professional non governmental UFO observers. Let's introduce MOFON because they got involved in this, right, boy do they ever?
Speaker 4: So you know how much I love a good acronym. So MOFON or the Mutual UFO Network, is a US based nonprofit organization that we have talked about many times on this show, made up of civilian volunteers who study alleged UFO sightings. MOFON is not officially persuaded that this was an extraterrestrial event at all, and I would think they'd be the first ones to be like, you know, yes, we need more confirmed UFO accounts. So I'd love to hear what their argument is. And here it is. Thus quote, do we have evidence that it was an extraterrestrial event? MoveOn said, in the form of their investigator, Jim Mann, we have evidence that it was an extremely bizarre event, but we can't put a label on it other than that it was an anomaly. Man then added the Arizona move On investigated three hundred and twenty five cases of reported UFOs last year and the majority were explained. Twelve were filed away as unknown, and that would be last year for that would be twenty eighty one.
Speaker 1: Thing, you know, move On is not a perfect organization, as its fair share of critics, especially given some of the political infighting and allegations of racism within the ranks. But when it comes to their analyzes of these different reports, they are from what we can tell. And again, Paul Matt Noll and myself we are not members of Moufon, but it seems like they would rather know the truth. So if they investigate something and they have a plausible, you know, weather balloon explanation, then they'll take it if it seems true, and that's respectable.
Speaker 3: We were at a guy, wasn't that long ago? We were at a MoveOn meeting. Not I don't even know when it was. Was it twenty eighteen or twenty seventeen, one of those years, twenty eighteen, It must have been twenty eighteen. Time moves so strangely now, But what we saw in that meeting were individual investigators coming up and giving the reports about all the research they'd done on specific sightings, and it was fascinating to see how much care was put in by you know, each individual member who like who knows exactly what they put in, But at least the people that we witnessed the effort is there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it seemed a very productive meeting. I was. I enjoyed it. There were, of course, maybe a couple of more eccentric people, but that can happen almost in any free public gathering. I mean, we were there, Yeah, we were there. That was one thing I was thinking about. And I have a question for any uthologist in the listening audience today. How do you feel about people who seem quote unquote too eccentric for a meeting. Do you think it is important that they have a space to speak or do you think that they discredit the overall investigations. I don't know. I don't have a badger in this bag or a horse in this race, but I would be interested to hear what people have to say, especially if you have attended many such conferences or meetings. So that's not where the conspiracy theories end. Some people say, no, of course, these aren't aliens. This is just a cash grab by people who want to build the credulous. It's much worse. These are man made events, but they are not made by the government you recognize. They're made by a different government, a deeper government, a deep state, something we would call a new world order. Some fringe researchers active in nWo research believe that the second event was sort of a red herring. They claim the military at Fort Huachuka south of Tucson, Arizona, actually dropped flares and that those created the you know what seemed to be that second event with the lights, and they did this to confuse people and hide evidence of a psychological warfare test that created indistinct shapes in the night sky. You love this mat via some sort of holographic projection device.
Speaker 3: Whoa, we're getting into bluebeam territory here, watch out. That is my favorite. Well, you know, the other thing is they would have known that there would be a lot of people out looking at the sky because there was a weather phenomena or a space weather phenomena that was going on where there was going to be a meteor shower hail bop right, yeah in a comment and it's you know, if they were going to do some kind of psychological research, it would have been a great night to choose that is true.
Speaker 1: That is true, And then we bring in the Heaven's Gate strand to this web. That is the religious movement often called a cult, that was convinced they would be able to leave their corporeal forms and travel to their religion's paradise via the hail Bob commet if they took their own lives, which is unfortunately what happened. Maybe a story all its own, So add that to the mix. Maybe that's where the psychological warfare aspect is kind of coming into play. But the issue here for New World Order stuff is still one of motivation. Why go to all this trouble? If you are a very powerful, shadowy paragovernmental cabal, what would you have to gain by pulling a stunt like this? You know? Is it just bragging rights? Walk up and kind of you know, swing your business around at the Builderberg conference.
Speaker 3: God so weird, I can imagine. I mean, if I really put on my tinfoil hat just to see, imagine it being a test to see how the public is going to react to a mass scale vision in the sky like this, no matter what people are seeing, right, if they're so, I guess the motivation would be if we were to fake an alien invasion of some sort, how would the human beings on the ground react?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and how would we propagate it most effectively? Yeah? So these are questions that currently do not have answers everyone can agree on. We would like to point out our Bluebeam episode if you want to learn more about. That is a fascinating story, and it's one of those that feels a little bit less impossible each time you think about it, especially given the recent breakthroughs in imaging technology. But so far we have been talking primarily about motivations or explos nations that exist in the heavens. We're going to pause for a word from our sponsor and then return with a bit of a more let's call it an earthly explanation A Right, we're back, And while we're back, let's go back to Tony Ortega, who mentioned earlier. Ortega, who is a journalist and has reported this for some local papers, believes that he has arrived at solid explanations for both of the events over Arizona that evening. First, that infamous v formation.
Speaker 3: The one that happened in around eight eight thirty.
Speaker 1: Right, So, Ortega spoke with a young man who had a ten inch Dobsonian telescope. This kid was named Mitch Stanley. He spotted the V from his backyard and he was able to see close enough that he could discern it was a formation of airplanes used magnification of sixty x that more or less puts him sixty times closer to the V than people who were viewing it unaided, and he said he could see each light in the sky was actually a double with one light under each squarish wing. The planes looked small in his scope, and that suggests they were flying at a very high altitude, which comes into play later. But he did not know what type of plane they were. There was no doubt, he said that these were definitely planes. He doubled down on that.
Speaker 3: And if you look at some of the video footage that was captured on that night in nineteen ninety seven, it looks like people are talking about this big black V right or the boomerang. It looks in some of those videos like there is blacked out sky with a light in the center of it, and that occurs six individual times, kind of in a formation. And again there are numerous videos that you can see online of this. To me, to my eyes, that's what it looks like. I can imagine if it really were individual planes with the wings going out in the way they do in that V formation, they're gonna overlap enough where the you know, the blacked out sky behind those wings, it's gonna look like it's connected. And if you've got highly experienced pilots, particularly those who were in a military, flying in a formation, it's gonna be so rigid and flying, you know, with such regularity with that formation that I can imagine as it's going overhead or something, you would visualize the entire thing as one.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, totally, I can see that.
Speaker 3: I just want to put that out there.
Speaker 1: Well, what about the second event where Teka has an explanation for that too, Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 4: This was seen as a string of flares dropped by the Maryland Air National Guard over the North Tack Military Range and or take a rights on this one. The problem developed later when people conflated reports of the two sightings, like we mentioned earlier. For the many people who had seen the earlier V pass directly over their heads, the explanation of the flares made absolutely no sense whatsoever. News organizations didn't differentiate between the two events or report on the Stanley identification.
Speaker 1: That's perfect because that's one of the key pieces in this story. So USA Today, right, and a couple of other outlets, they just report this stuff, hit the UFO angle hard and don't differentiate between the things. That doesn't mean that they're guilty of purposely trying to mislead people. Just to the point we mentioned earlier, you're asking people what happened after the fact, and it's very plausible for them to assume the same thing was occurring the military and government. As we mentioned, they originally said Nope, nothing to see here, move along, mosey on down, out of the way. They later came forward and change their story. See Phoenix has two Air Force bases pretty near the city, and two some weekly eventually brew the news that the Maryland to Air National Guard was in Arizona for winter training and they had a squad of E ten fighters over the gunnery range that night. These fighters had dropped flares. An Arizona National Guard PR officer or Public Information Officer PIO named Captain Ellen Biens had determined that the flares were dropped at get this ten PM over the North Tack Range thirty miles southwest of Phoenix at a pretty high altitude fifteen thousand feet, so they would be falling in the air for a long time. Another thing happened. Local governments came forward then incumbent to Arizona Governor Fife Symington. I love that name. Fife Symington thought people were being too uptight about this and taking it too seriously, so he arranged a joke press conference. He had a lot of UFO jokes in his beach. He even had one of his poor aid to come up on stage in an alien costume, and he was like, all right, everybody, calm down, you know, let's just have a good time out here in Arizona. But then later on a few years, as the years passed, he pulled a total one to eighty.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he told the story about how, oh uh, I actually saw something on that night. I was mentioning that there's a thing called Squaw Peak there near the middle of Phoenix. He's the guy, at least from the reporting that I read, he is the person who said, yes, I saw something come over a Squawpeak and it was like that v formation. It was the lights like that, and that's right in the middle of Phoenix, in the Phoenix area, and he apologized and he was just like, hey, yeah, my bad. The the lights are a great mystery that couldn't have been flares because it was too symmetric according to his own eyewitness account of it, even though he made fun of it.
Speaker 4: Interesting, huh, preaching to the converted, I guess interesting.
Speaker 3: Well, ultimately, what it sounds like is a politician that was afraid of, you know, ridicule, because we do know that there was a I believe a city council member who brought it up in a meeting and then for the next months and months and months she was just made fun of relentlessly at her office and in public.
Speaker 1: Right, right, And this remains a divisive topic for people in the area or ufologists versus skeptics today. You know. Skeptics, for their part, are quick to point out that, with a few notable exceptions, the majority of witnesses were watching again with the naked eye stationary positions on the ground, so they can be easily fooled into inaccurate estimates of very important factors like size, altitude, and speed. But for the ufologists is one big advantage, at least in terms of rhetoric and argument. They can say, well, it wouldn't be the first time that the government did something sketchy and then lied about it. It's absolutely true. The only comeback you have for that is to say, that doesn't mean that this is one of those cases. Right, Just because a car has driven through Bedford, Massachusetts, doesn't mean that all cars drive through Bedford, Massachusetts.
Speaker 3: True.
Speaker 1: True, I'm phrasing that in an awkward way. But it's interesting, and now it brings us to the conclusion we have to ask, what do you think. Let's walk through it. Let's say let's just speculate here. Let's say that the most out there conspiracy theories are correct that in March of nineteen ninety seven, extraterrestrials or extra dimensional entity were time travelers or whatever, came to the Phoenix, Arizona area and did a flyover. Thousands of people saw it. Why would they do that?
Speaker 3: They didn't know where they were, They were lost, they were trying to find Hollywood. They saw the lights of Las Vegas and they made a pass over Las Vegas because they saw the pyramid down there, the Luxor, and they were like, oh, well, this is obviously you know this is the ancient shape they've you know, paid homage to us. Oh wait a second, what's going on down there? They did a scan, they realized it was people, you know, just throwing their money into slot machines, and they went, oh, geez, that's not where're supposed to be. Let's keep going down the path here. They went over Phoenix and they were like, eh, they kept going, sorry everybody in Phoenix. And then they finally they made it down down Mexico Way and they just stayed. They just stayed there because they really liked it.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, we've all been there, right, Yeah, but at least in the state of mind, in a Mexico state of mind. Okay, that's one idea. Okay, let's say, what if it was US military craft? Why and how would they do this? Well? Currently, this seems to be the most solid explanation, but there's one big gap in the story, one that rightly bothers a lot of people. We don't know foreshore, where the craft originated. Nobody requested the radar information from the FAA Federal Aviation Administration within two weeks. The records for this kind of stuff are usually deleted within that two week span, so we'll never know exactly where those planes came from outside of you know, these statements of journalists and statements from the military, the mystery remains.
Speaker 3: I've got something to point out here with the whole explanation of the military craft being a ten fighters. Do you guys know what an A ten fighter is? Noel, Are you familiar with that? No, it's there generally referred to as a warthog. Have you have you ever heard one of these? You've heard them in military movies. I've wonder super loud?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, that I was picturing.
Speaker 3: I'm assuming Ben is have you actually witnessed one of those? So I wonder if we can play a quick sound for you if we can find one. If we did find one, it's going to be right here. The A ten war hog is a loud Dijet fighter plane. So look it up in your time if you have a moment, imagine six of those flying in formation, even if they're at high altitude, you're going to hear them. And a lot of these reports were it was silent craft.
Speaker 1: Well, also, we have to we have to point out that there are people who have problems with that report to the idea that they were silent, because as loud as something is, you get it high enough in the air, it's going to be beyond the bound of human hearing.
Speaker 3: Sometimes you're right, you're right, you're.
Speaker 1: A And again we don't know. We can't accurately judge the.
Speaker 3: Altitude, right, And we also cannot confirm whether or not it was the quote unquote a ten wordthog sighting or the flare sighting, because the flares would be nice and silent.
Speaker 1: Right, Oh, nice, very good point. We hope you enjoy this episode. We're presenting what we found to be the facts, as well as what we found to be the more controversial claims. As always, your decision is your own. We don't want to tell you what to think, but we darnshore want to hear what you think about it. And there is one interesting thing I found that I thought might be useful to some of us listening in the Phoenix area. There is a Phoenix Lights Festival aliens or not, it seems like one heck of a party. Since twenty fifteen, it's given the Valleys electronic dance music scene a signature event to call its own. I've looked at some pictures from the party, and while you probably won't meet a legit extraterrestrial, you're gonna have some interesting encounters. Some eccentric individuals will make their way to you. You'll have some memorable events.
Speaker 3: That's right. And you'll never see me there. Why not just because I because of your cost dance.
Speaker 1: Oh it's DM man, you don't have to dance, just very phil callings about it. Furthermore, regardless of what you think mundane or something more, the Phoenix Lights have captured the imaginations of millions of people over the past more than two decades, including a ton of people in Hollywood, not just Kurt Russell.
Speaker 4: Oh sure, I mean the phenomenon was a key plot point for the hugely influential found footage horror film Phoenix Forgotten, which at this point has been forgotten largely. Yeah, I was not aware of it in the first one. Did you guys see it?
Speaker 1: I have not seen it. I've not seen it.
Speaker 4: Apparently come out last year.
Speaker 3: I've seen trailers for it. I mean, honestly, it looks like a Blair Witch movie based on the Phoenix Lights being the main occurrence, and that's why these people try and figure out what's going on.
Speaker 1: Found footage films are so tricky. Blair Witch was great, Chronicle was great. If you remember that one, Yeah, that's where the kids get destructive telekinetic powers from object from space.
Speaker 3: I actually haven't seen that one, and it's been on my watch list for I don't even know how many years.
Speaker 1: I'd be really interested to see what you think, because they do pretty well found footage. But there's one last note. UFO sightings, as I mentioned earlier, are fairly common in the Phoenix area, and there are reports of strange lights in the desert sky multiple times every single year. But it goes a little bit further. According to the Washington Post, Arizona has the highest number of UFO sidings per capita in the entire United States of America. So if there's anything where if there's any situation where something like the Phoenix lights would occur again, it would be Arizona statistically.
Speaker 3: If you're really interested in this stuff, we recommend looking up someone named Lynn Katai. She made a documentary about the subject, she wrote a book. You can find a lot of links in other reporting if you search for her Lynn Katai again, Ki t Ei, I believe yes, it's some interesting stuff.
Speaker 1: And that's our classic episode for this evening. We can't wait to hear your thoughts. It's right let us know what you think. You can reach.
Speaker 4: You to the handle Conspiracy Stuff where we exist on Facebook X and YouTube on Instagram and TikTok or Conspiracy Stuff Show.
Speaker 3: If you want to call us dial one eight three three STDWA. That's our voicemail system. You've got three minutes. Give yourself a cool nickname and let us know if we can use your name and message on the air. If you got more to say than can fit in that voicemail, why not instead send us a good old fashioned email.
Speaker 1: We are the entities that read every single piece of correspondence we receive. Be aware, yet not afraid. Sometimes the void writes back conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 3: Stuff they don't want you to know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.