Speaker 1: I'm going to make a prediction here. I think Rafa is going to surprise you at the Olympics, best of three sets at Roland Garros. Him losing the way he did it to Suev in the first round where we played very well. I think he feels like that guy got to the final and I played him tough. Don't be surprised if he's playing for a medal. Still, I'm saying, hi everyone, and welcome to the French Connection. Of course, I am Renee Starves and that guy over there is Sam Query. We're bringing you this, of course by NBC Sports and Racket. We're going to cover all the tennis as we've done and have done, of course, from the French Open right through it, of course the Olympics in Paris and everything in between. And of course what's in between. Well we know it's Wimbledon, of course, and I'm here in Weimbledon Village, in my little beautiful house here that I have, and of course Sam, you're back in California. But Sam, before we get to Wimbledon, it's nice to see you, my friend. How are you going.
Speaker 2: I'm good. I've got extreme fullmo that I'm not in Wimbledon. I was going to be playing the Legends this year, which you're playing now that we're like three days out and like all my I see all my friends there, I see like the draws out. I'm just like I wish, I wish I could hobble around on a torn achilles right now, because I would if I could.
Speaker 1: Now, Friend, you know what I'm going to say to that is that that's what happens when you play pickaball right, you could have been here on the hallow lawns of Wimbledon instead you chose to bust your achilles playing pickleball. But anyway, I don't want to get into that.
Speaker 2: What I'm going to get into.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, I'll let them know that you're coming back, Sam because I know you love the grass my friends. So we're going to get into that. But before we do, let's talk about the Roger Federer documentary Twelve Days. What did you think about it? I'm going to give you my thoughts. There was a lot of tears, I have to say, I admit it. I cried a lot. But what did you think about it?
Speaker 2: I liked it, I didn't love it. I mean, look, I was I'm a huge Roger fan, just like the rest of the world. I'd probably watch a documentary of him sleeping. But it's almost like I wanted, I wanted a documentary about his whole life of os and like going into these Wimbledon finals and things like that. Having said that, it was it was really cool to watch. I love the behind the scenes kind of footage in the locker room. But yeah, it was like an emotional roller coaster for ninety minutes. Everyone's He's crying, Rofers crying, Novak's crying, Mirka is crying. But it was a fun watch crying. Yeah, you were crying. But I wanted I want another documentary about like the twenty years of Roger's life on tour.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's interesting, isn't it, Because you have to think that they, you know, thought about this at the last minute, like, Okay, we know you're going to retire, let's maybe start documenting it. So many great documentaries over the last couple of years that nothing was better in my opinion, obviously than the Michael Jordan one. I mean, because I don't know who thought about carrying a camcorder around back in the day, but they captured so much of that. So yeah, hopefully down the track we're going to see a more in depth history of his career and life because as you said, I mean, you wanted to live through so many of those moments. We got to see some glimpse of his past and all the things. But one of the things that I felt so interested in hearing was his discussion about Novak and how he didn't really respect him early on his career. And one of the things that I thought was really interesting was he talked about technically he wasn't a great player and you played him back young, you know, when he was a young guy. How much has he improved his technique along the years. And I loved that Roger said that because it was true, right, No.
Speaker 2: You're right, it was true. Like especially like on the serve, Novak's kind of always gone through like different serve motions, different tactics. You've seen him bounce the ball anywhere from one time to twenty times. But yeah, like I want to say, from two thousand and like six, seven, eight, nine, ten, Novak was great. There was some hitches in his in his game with the strokes, but Roger kind of hit the nail on the head the strokes are are so clean now, especially on the backhand, and that just kind of propelled him into what he is today. But it was fun to see Roger kind of give an honest, raw take on Novak, one of his greatest rivals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also I loved the conversation about matchups and we don't talk about it enough in tennis, and hopefully we'll do that a little bit more and get into the weeds of why matchups are so important. Like I'm sure you had somebody that was just a complete pigeon, you beat them all the time, but then that person would beat a guy that you could never beat, and I just you know, we don't talk about the matchups and why they are so important on grass, So it was on different surfaces and all the things, like you know, everyone says that the reason why I know Roger's backhand got so much better is because Rafa played it so much with the lefty and it made it so much better and so through the years. And I love that he talked about Novak's backhand. How everyone talks about how great novaks back end is, but he was like, even his back end wasn't real smooth. It was a little Dodgy and how to me. It also showed you the reason why Novak Djokovic has become the greatest player of all time, arguably because he improved every single year every little thing about his game. And it was really nice to hear that. And that's the thing about that we love about Roger. He's always been really honest, but he knows how to sort of massage it. I love the story where he put his pants on the wrong way when he beat Andy.
Speaker 2: So there's so many greats like Roger stories. But like you're saying, I think all three of those guys they improved their games to beat the other ones. You know, you hear in other sports. Oh, you know, the Boston Celtics are going to draft this player because they know they need to beat like the Philadelphia seventy six ers the other good teams, or the Mavericks need to do something to counteract the Denver Nuggets because they're the good teams. Those Roger Raffin wrote, And Roger Roffa and Novac weren't working. He wasn't working on his backhand to beat guys ranked fifty to one hundred. He knows he needs to work on that backhand to beat Rafa in major finals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, obviously now with this next generation of Sinna and now Karez, they're going to be sort of the Roger and Rafa of this period of time. And what do they have to do to beat each other because they know, given at most every day, that's who they're gonna have to play. And speaking of the drawers, we're going to get to Wimbledon. But I guess the biggest story coming in here, and you and I talked about it that remember when I said, well, Novak will be here and you're like, oh, he's not going to play, He's in the draw. I can not believe. I've had two meniscus surgeries and I can tell you six weeks was the minimum that I when I came back, and I still think that was too early for me. And I cannot imagine having surgery on my knee. And the first tournament I play is slippery grass, because you know, the first day, you know, Sam, you take one wrong stip and bang, your knee goes down. We've seen it over and over and over. We saw it with Von Drossebert last week, like it's a dangerous surface to play on. Early on because it's so slick, so I cannot believe that he's actually in the draw.
Speaker 2: Your thoughts, Sam, I mean, like you said, Wimbledon's slippery, and Novak relies a lot in his movement. He's an aggressive move where he slides on the grass. But you know, like I haven't had a meniscus surgery, but I I've had other little surgeries, and like you said, usually with the meniscus it's six weeks minimum, and it's gonna be will be four weeks for him kind of basically by the time he takes the court, we'll see. I'm sure he's had an incredible doctor, a great surgery he's doing. I'm sure he's spent every day the last four weeks rehabbing it. And he might look at things because he's so good and and you know, he might look at the first week of the draw and say, look, I think I think at eighty percent, I can maybe get by some of these players and hopefully the knee kind of heals and and then I'm and then I'm into week five.
Speaker 1: But to your point, wait five, not wake five.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. After the first week he plays and then he's then he's kind of into the week five. But I'm just as shocked as you are. And look, we'll see what happened. He's in the draw now, we'll see if he plays. It seems like he's practicing. You're there, you've seen him on the courts hitting.
Speaker 1: Yet I have seen him. He's been on the courts every day. He hit with Janick Sinner. I believe yesterday he hit again today. I mean, look, he plays Kopriva. I gotta say it's a perfect great draw for him. Guy that will probably go out there absolutely, you know, you know whatding his pants playing arguably the second greatest player at Wimbledon behind Roger, I mean Novak. Nobody has won more titles other than Roger Federer on grass, so at Wimbledon. So for me, it's as crazy. I can't believe that he's wearing the sleeve on his knee every practice. He looks pretty good running for the ball. But it's more And as you know, Sam, it's not about practice. You are still in control. Even if you're practicing a practice set or playing points, you're still in control of I don't need to run for that. If you want to win, you have to run for that in a match, so and in best of five, I mean, physically, is he going to be able to get through it? It's mind blowing to me. Taylor Fritz had a similar surgery, I believe, and came back fairly quickly as well a couple of years ago at Wimbledon, And so I don't know. This is clearly the story of the early part of the men's tournament.
Speaker 2: Though, right, And I think maybe he might take He's gonna play the first round and like you said, he can control it and practice, he can't control it when the tournament starts. Play the first round and then see how he feels after After that it's like, oh my gosh, my knee is sore. Hey, maybe I'm gonna call it, but hey it feels pretty good. Let's keep going and see what I can do.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And of course the number one player in the world, Jannick Sinner, he was out practicing today. As I said, he hit with Novak yesterday and today he was on Court eighteen, of course, the famous court that John i Isna made famous with a match that went for felt like five years, and he was out there today hitting with stan vav Rinka and they will going at it, and of course they're in the same section again semi finals. It will be Alcaz and Sinner in the semis. Of of course if they make it there. We know that a lot of things could happen in the meantime, but what a bummer again that they're in the same half. Hopefully you know through the years. It's going to change, as we know once Novak g retires. But just you know him coming in here, he's got to feel really good winning Hulla, knowing he's playing great on grass, very similar to what Alcaraz did last year by winning Queens. And uh, you know, let's take a look at this draw. I've got to put these on now, Sam because I can't see this around. What are your thoughts on both of these guys, And.
Speaker 2: Look they're still young, like Center, you know, obviously Alcaze have won Wimbledon. Sinner doesn't have quite the experience in the grass, but he just won Holly. Like you said, he's coming into this Wimbledon feeling good. He beat good grass court players along the way, beat Huey hurt Cox in the final. Who's a Wimbledon that he beat him in the final of Halla and hirt Cox is a Wimbledon semi finalist in the past. So Sinner's coming in with confidence and look, he's he's kind of the Him and al karaz Are are the two men to bet right now. And so I you know, I like where Sinners kind of I like how Sinner's playing right now a little more than al Kraz. I know that Alcraz lost in Queen's early It's just it's a small sample size. But look, when you win a tournament going into a Slam the week before, like your confidence is high and you're feeling good, and that's where that's where Sinner is right now.
Speaker 1: I have to say, when we look at this draw in total, I think they both have pretty good draws. Like there's nobody in those sections of the draw where you're like, oh, that could be Jane just on grass, right, So if you look at Sinner's draw, clearly we know Mateo Bertini has the potential to beat anyone on grass. He made the finals here a bunch of years ago, but he hasn't had the success over the last couple of years due to injury. Greek sport, he can definitely push you on a grass court. Dennis Shapovalov is in that section playing Jarry. We know that that you know Dennis can play really well on grass, but again the confidence isn't really there. Somebody that I like to see is Harris through qualifying and he's dangerous on grass, and he clearly against an American who plays very well on grass himself in Michelson. But Ben Shelton is he the section of that bit that can he get through and you know, really push Sinner. We had a lot of expectation for him last year at when Bleerne he didn't have the success, but again he's playing a Balucci who go through qualities and as you know Sam, guys that come through qualies are playing really really good tennis on grass. So no given that Ben will get through. But I think for Sinner that looks really good. One player Dimetrov. We know he can play well on grass. He's been playing great this year. It's probably one of his best years, and I think he's the guy that will probably get through that section. If Sinner gets through, and I see them playing against each other in the I would say the quarter finals, right, Yeah, So that's my two guesses there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think Center's path a little more than Alcoraz's. I feel like Carlos has a few more like maybe dangerous names in there. He's got Tommy Paul on his section there. It was just fresh off of Queen's titles Bear, Yeah, who was beating whom Bear won Hallay himself a few years ago. Who can be tricky? You know, I know Francis Tufo is not playing great, but France is a guy here that can kind of like, you know, feed off a crowd and get hot, and he's a showman and like he's going to get up for a match like that. So Carlos has you know, he's got some guys in there that are that are going to be tough. But I definitely if I had to pick one that I really think is going to go further at center right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. If I were to pick over the drawer, certainly Alcaraz's draw, I think one play in that section that's sort of I know he's an Aussie, so maybe I'm a lib being a little bit biased, but I think Jordan Thompson, he's had a little bit of a tough year with injuries, but he played very well last week. He can play really well on grass, and as we know, Ozzie's sort of know how to make their way around a grass court. So I think I think that Jordan Thompson might be a bit of a sneaky one getting through there to play our Carez. I think that's my guess. And Annaldi is tough and he will play Tiafo really really well. But I think Tommy Paul. I think Tommy Paul, believe it or not, I think he can. Listen, he's beaten Alcarez before. We know how well he can play on grass, winning as you as you did winning Queens. He comes in here with tons of confidence and that could be a real threat for our Cirez if he is not to get through to play again Center. But look, some great storylines there overall. Indeed, can't wait, my god, I get I get so excited when the draw comes out. One guy, we need to talk about Andy, excuse me, sir, Andy Murray. He's in the tournament, he's decided to play. We're excited about this. He's going to play doubles with his brother Jamie, and he's in the singles and the doubles. Just your thoughts in total about you know, hoping that Andy takes the court. Who's more likely to not take the court, Novak or Andy.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna say, it's like, it's almost like it's a it's a Novak Djokovic part two here with Andy. You know, he heard himself at Queen's. I guess, if I had to guess, I think Andy's maybe more likely to take the court, just because I truly feel like this is going to be Andy's last Wimbledon, you know, obviously being being from the UK. Uh, you know, it's a it's a huge deal, and I think he's gonna want to take that court one more time. It's really cool to see him play doubles with his brother, which I think that could be just like Venus and Serena or playing on center court at the US Open Serenas last year. I could see uh, you know, Murray Murray as a doubles team. I could see them throwing that on center court. But I just hope Andy's was it his ankle that was bugging him in Queens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's so many it's a back all the things. I like that JD. Murray. I love that Judy Murray went to town on you know, releasing his medical forms and YadA YadA. You know, I gotta love Judy. She's gonna support her sons like to the end. But he had yeah, like his final final cord.
Speaker 2: I hope he can get whatever injection.
Speaker 1: That's pretty bad they release that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. I hope he can get whatever he needs to take the court one more time because he actually has like somewhat of a decent draw at Wimbledon this year. But I hope he can go out there and fight, and I expect him to take the court.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Marshark is a good player. He played very well at the French and he pushed he you know so, But I think he's more a clay court player, so I think it's possible. But he's definitely a very good player, so not certainly not easy. Look, the guy's draw is stacked, as we said. I mean, I wrote down some classics. I think one player to watch also is Jack Draper. There's always a brit there's always a Brit that gets through somewhere. They get so much support here at Wimbledon, which is I got to tell you, it's as you know, it's so fun when the brig Brits are still going and you know the crowds are behind them and all the things. I mean, Zverev, what's he going to do. I'm gonna put these back on because I can't see it without it. But you know, when we look at this draw, Herbie Hercutch is certainly a player that is to be absolutely watched. There's no question that he is player that can get through. He's made the Semis before. He was clearly the last We know what he did to Roger his last match, as we saw on the documentary. He's the one that took out Roger six love in the fourth set. But look, I mean I think that her Cutch is probably the player to get through in that section. One player down there, Alex Demonor look out for Alex was going.
Speaker 2: To give your assie credit. Yep.
Speaker 1: I mean, I keep picking the assies. But look, Alex Demonol can play on every surface. We know he can play well on grass. He's one of the best movers in the game. And let's not forget, of course, how well can Chris U Banks do this year. We know what he did last year, right comes in playing a little bit better on the grass and Sam, you know, you know what it's like when you don't have a lot of confidence. But you get onto the grass, you win a few matches, which he did in Huller and he had a great win there. Can he get through this section of the drawer runa, We're a little bit unlike, how's he gonna do on gross He's been a bit of up and down this year. And I think that Chris Humbanks can get through that. Hutching Off is a very good player. I get it, and can play on every surface. But can Chris break through again in this tournament?
Speaker 2: Absolutely can? We saw it last year and like you said, like for me personally, I pretty much met my entire career playing like garbage on the clay courts, got to the grass court season, won a match or two and boom, your confidence is back, and you Banks kind of has that right now. He just he quarterfinaled in Halle. He'd beat Boob Lick along the way, who's a great grass court player. So you know, if he comes into Wimbledon here and he plays he plays hals hallays, I'm not sure if I'm pronouncing the name right. The qualifier that's that's tough. But I like you Banks there and you get a win under your belt. Then you're feeling you're feeling confident. And if he gets to serve going and he's one of those guys that kind of can he can still serve and volley. He's got great volleys. He can he hits the ball low, hard and flat. If things are working in his favor, you know, he can beat coach nov and then you know you would love to play Holder Rene in the in the third round of Wimbledon. That's that's a matchup that he can win. So if things aligned for you, Banks, I think he can do well. But going back to Demonar, he's a guy that I like a lot as well. And the matchup if it's him and hirk Cox, like, that's a coin flip to me. Demonar's crafty on the grass. He won hers Bogenbosch, you know, two weeks ago, and he just knows what he's doing out there. He's a great mover. So I've for me in this section, it's like it's Demonar Hirks her Cocks and it's like a fifty to fifty on who gets through that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, I think I'd probably edge a little bit. It depends. Demonar's tough, but he's a little emotional too. You know, he doesn't look at but that that is going to be a toss up obviously, FAA Felix Asia Alizim, who's done very well here in the past, struggled last year, lost early on place. Kokanaka's first round not an easy first round at all, but for just you know, flipping over their Djokovic. It's a pretty good section of the draw for Novak. So he'd be looking at that going if I can get through, if I can manage the weight and you know, the knee. This he could not have got a better draw than what he has, There's no question. I mean, he's got two qualifiers and a wild card to get the third round, so that in and of itself, I would put my house on even with a bad knee. Let's slip over though ruby Lev it's been a wild year for him, just emotionally and all the stuff. I think that's a really good section though. I think he can get through. Can he make a quarter you know, can he get break through.
Speaker 2: A quarterfinals in quarterfinals or something?
Speaker 1: Right, But he's in it. Not a bad if he's going to do it, it might be this one, certainly with Novak. Not if you if normally you'd say no, because you know he's not breaking through against a lot of these players. But Zverev is a bit of an unknown at Wimbledon. He has never really done well here. He's in a pretty good section. But Jack Draper in that section is the player that I'm suggesting will get through there. And I've already talked about it. And up the top Taylor, Fritz. You think, okay, it's a pretty good drawer, right, Not so another Rosie O'Connell plays very well on grass. He comes into the net and for Taylor, this is not an easy first round because as you know, you don't want to play people that are good on grass in the first round. And Taylor plays very well on grass. But this is not an easy first round for him.
Speaker 2: It's not. But you know he's still playing an Eastbourne. I believe he's got his semi final later today. I like Taylor to get through that, even though you're like, you're saying O'Connell's tough, but that whole section you're it's like, you know you've got You've got Fritz, Draper, Zverev, like all three of those guys, I don't I don't know who's coming out of that section. They're all they're all playing well, they all have big games, they're all played pretty well on grass that none of you know, no one's like phenomenal on it. But I don't I don't know who I've got coming through that section. But on the other side, like you're saying, I do like rube Lev to get through that little that little part of the draw.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna add a little Sebi Corter. This is not an easy first round, but you know, David for Kinne is usually a little bit better on clay, but not easy first round. And Kay Nishikori nice to see him in the draw. But I think that Sebbie Krter gets through there. I think he can beat sitz APAs sits a pass a little bit unknown, you never know on he plays well on grass, but much more comfortable on a hard court on certainly on clay. So I don't know. Sebbie Corter could sneak through there as well. So we've got a couple of Americans in that half. But we can't wait. It's starting real soon and we're going to figure it all out as it goes. But let's flipped to the ladies. And when you look at the draw, the first two names you see Eager Shion Tech playing against Sophia Canon. Now we cannot forget about the fact that Sophia Cannon took out Cocoa Gough in the first round at Wimbledon, so she likes doing this. She did it last year. She came through qualities, so she was playing really good tennis coming into Wonderland. She took out Cocoa Gough. And now she has the luck of playing the number one seed. And I'm telling you right now, if there's an upset, it could be this one. And I know Eager has beaten her both times. So they've played and they only play at Grand Slams, which is ridiculous. They played twice and Eager's won both matches in straight sets. Okay, but on grass, this is a nightmare for Eager. She on Tech first round because she hasn't done she has played no matches coming in here on grass, and to play on a really fast slow like the ball is going to stay low, Sophia Cannon is a nightmare first round for her. Give me your thoughts on that first round.
Speaker 2: It's like the plan Osaka early on in the French Open part you know the sequel look yet, like you said, Kennon, Look, she's a Grand Slam champion. She's crafty, and that's you know, when you're playing people on grass that are crafty, it's difficult. Canon's going to head thirty drop shots. She's gonna bring Eager in where she's not overly comfortable egos. As great as she is, grass isn't her best surface. And to play someone like this right out of the chute when you're you know, you don't have your bearings, you don't know how the court's playing, it's gonna be difficult. And I'm I'm with you, like I'm not shocked if there's an upset here. I think it's gonna be. It's a juicy first round that everyone's gonna be glued to.
Speaker 1: It's a nightmare for her first round. I can tell you that because that court is gonna play perfectly for Sophia Kennon to as you said, hit the drop shots, hit the ball hard through the court with the forehand, like just nail it. So it's not gonna be easy for Eager. And I'm telling you going into that, she's gonna be very, very nervous, Okay, I mean it is a rough draw for Ega. I got to tell you. For her to even possibly get to the semi finals, she's got to go through a lot of people. We I really need the glasses on this because the WTA, this is the draw for the women's and in this section of the draw up the first half for her, even if she gets through into the fourth round, is her biggest nemesis in Olona Ostapenko, who beats Eager all the time and is a great grasscourt player. The one caveat is that she plays ailer. Tomlanovitch is coming back from an injury, but has played pretty well since coming back from the injury and has played well and plays well on grass, has made the quarters here I believe last year made the quarters again here. So this is a nightmare for Ostapenko first round. And if you remember, do you remember this the argument Sam that they had on the court a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: It was a specific argument, but I remember them arguing.
Speaker 1: It was not pretty. Tom Lanovitch accused Ostapenko of faking her injuries and called her out on the court. They had the trainer on the court. It was viral if you haven't seen it, check it out. But that first round is one of those matches where you go take your popcorn because that will be a tough first round. But if Ostapenker gets through there and EGA is going no, not again, not this girl, because this is a nightmare the one of the drawer. I think the one player we need to highlight is Danielle Collins. Look, she's had an amazing year. She hasn't had a couple of great results of late, but if she can find her form on the grass early, not a bad section of the draw for her. Towson is a very good player and can be dangerous and hits the living daylights out of the ball, so it's not an easy first round. But Hadaj Maya's in that section. But that this, this section of the draw for Ega is really hard.
Speaker 2: I agree, And look I don't I don't know the woman's draw as well as you do. But like you're saying, Collins is a good player, uster Penko tom Janovic, you've got that. I see Kerber was in there as a wild card.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: That's always tricky. That's always tricky as well. If he gets through her first round, there's a girl. Her last name is Jones, a wild card from from Great Britain. People. Yeah, the players, the men and women from Great Britain know how to play on grass.
Speaker 1: So there is and I will say, actually, actually I will say, I think Mark Titch wins that match and Mart Yeah, like they're all that's a tough section.
Speaker 2: There's hurdles everywhere in that section for Eager.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Putinsuba who is in that section to play Kerber, which is a nightmare for Kerber just won a tournament on grass, beating Tom Lanovich. So you know, these are players that know how to play in grass. They're effective on the surface, and we talk about it all the time. Mattchuts are important, but grass and surfaces are huge, and Eager is not comfortable on grass at all, particularly early on when the court plays a little bit different in the first week than it does in the second week. And also just adding down the bottom half of the drawer, My pick to win the tournament is Rebarkiner. Now, poor old Rebekina though again pulls out of a tournament with an illness. All the things that are going on with her, so if she stays healthy, she's my pick to get through this, but now I have to add down the bottom half of the drawer. You've got Onibur and Jessica Pagoula. Now, if they get through, I mean they play in the fourth round to play probably Rebarkina. But Leila Fernandez is in there, and she's in the finals of Eastbourne, so you know she plays well on grass. So this whole section of the draw is the whole half of the draw. The women's is absolutely stacked with great grass court players who know how to win at Wimbledon. And this is a section that I would not want to be in.
Speaker 2: No, you're absolutely right, Like Joe Burro a finalist, You've got Pagoula who just won a tournament last week, Leila Fernandez in the final this week. Katie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they're all really this is the section of the drawer that you just go god, nightmare. I mean, skaya.
Speaker 2: Like the best kind of like, hey, who are the sixth best kind of grass court specific players and they put them all in that one section right there.
Speaker 1: Nightmare. Like. Actually, there's a thing on the WTA website right now where they do have the grass court power rankings, and you know, I'll go through them for you. It's Jabour first, Vondrosova second because she won Wimbledon last year, Alexandrova, Ostapenko, Sablenka, Pegoula, and then it goes Madison, keys, Plishkova, Bolta, this is the top ten and Hadaj Maya and most of those are in that section of the draw. So it's just a nightmare. Yeah, So I don't know who's going to get through here. I picked Rebakina to win the tournament, so I have to go with her. But I think Jessic Pagoula is a sneaky Okay. She comes in here, she knows she was so close to being in the final last year, up four one points to go five to one against Vondrosova, who then went on to win the tournament. So I think jess Pagoula comes in here fresh as a daisy. She barely has played this year with injuries, and she comes in here super healthy, super confident. And I don't know, but I can't change. I picked for Bakina, but if I.
Speaker 2: Had, I like Pegoula as well, and I also like like she's a friend, she's an American I'm cheering for, and like you said, she hasn't played a lot this year. She hasn't played great, but she just kind of came off of an injury and then won a tournament. So she's coming in with confidence. I think there's like that fine line of like the expectations for her aren't that high right now, so she's kind of playing with a little more lucy goosey attitude. And look, I'm cheering for her, and I think she's going to get through this.
Speaker 1: And I just want to add, I agree with you, that's but I gotta stick with my person, right. But one little section in there, Caroline wasn't the ACCHI to play against Alisha Parks, and Alisha Parks got through qualifying and has the biggest serve and the biggest game, so she's confident that is going to be a really fun match between those two of the draw. So there's a lot of popcorn first rounds in that section and I, as we said, we can't wait for it. Let's flip to the other side or the bottom half of the draw. And Sablenka, you'd have to say, of all the draw, I think that you know, when you when we talk about all these players, there's still a lot of plays in this section of the draw that can do really well. One player obviously that's in the finals again of Eastbourne, who plays really well on grass is Derek Casakina. She's in that section of the draw. But but just you know, when you look at this section of the draw, any sort of matchups that stand out for you, any players that stand out for you. There's there's a lot and there's a couple of popcorn first rounds in this one too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean for me it's it's Coco Goff. You know, you've got Osaka in there. Everyone's kind of like, you know, is she going to bring that game that she played at the French Open against Ega to Wimbledon. If she does, like she's a threat.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: For me, the most fun matchup is as a rank of her Sloan Stevens, assuming assuming Sloan's got her game together and she's playing well. Those are two big names and two players that have had like tremendous Grand Slam success. So you know, I we'll see what happens there. I hope Sloan can get through that as a rank is a phenomenal player, But I know I expect that one to be a fun match to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Chin Win Jang up the top there published in Cova. I was actually I actually hit some tennis balls today, Sam, because you know I'm playing in the oldies. I mean I'm playing with my I practiced with my old doubles partner Sam Stosa and my old player that I was coaching, and we had so much fun. We only hit for it half an hour because that's all we could do. And Sam actually said to me after that her glutes were hurting her about an hour later, so I did my job. I must heat miracle. But anyway, but it was so fun and we were hitting next to publoging Cover and just us being able to hit without pressure is as you know, it's so different. And being at Wimbledon be able to hit balls on that court and the courts are so perfect. I mean, I loved every second of it. But publonging Cover certainly can play on all surfaces, so we'll see who gets through that section. But yes, to play Taylor Townsend in the first round. So Taylor we know, very good on all surfaces as well. But Alexandrova, she's a threat. But guess who she plays. I did Carnu. He's had a couple of good wins. She beat Jessica Bogula last week. I saw Jessica today and she said, you know, I was because part of me was thinking did she want to get out of there and get to Wimbledon? And you know what it's like, you don't want to play too much tennis before, and she has no I was really trying. So obviously Radakanu is a threat. It'll be nice to see, but she has a nightmare draw first round. It'll be on center court or court one, so we'll see.
Speaker 2: But it's with some momentum and kind of getting herself back in the thicker things and playing regular bases, having consistent results. So you're right, that is a nightmare draw playing Alexandrova, but it's on center court. The crowd is going to behind Radakanu, and so that's a somewhat of a popcorn match for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, it is for me, and there's no question it'll be fun. There's a couple of little popcornhills also in there. Bodoza playing Mukhova. Mukhova is back, thank goodness, but pulled out of Eastbourne after winning a couple of matches and on the advice of her team. Hopefully she's one hundred percent coming into the torn that we know how well she can do here at this Tournament's probably one of her favorite surfaces. But the winner of that match will then play the winner of Andreva and through Thetova, two young players that are going to be playing forever against one another. That's some popcorn tennis there with those two youngsters. So I'm looking forward to. I mean, mire Andreva. She can play on all surfaces, but I don't know, when you play someone about your age, it gets a little bit different. It becomes a little bit more of a junior mentality. So we'll see who gets through that section of the draw. But Sabalanca's got to feel pretty good about that section. But still there's some good players like Casaquina Andreva. Not an easy section for her to get through.
Speaker 2: No, But yeah, like you're saying, I like Sabalanca. Right below Sablanca, we've got your girl, Paulini off the French Open final heat. How does her game translate over to the grass?
Speaker 1: It good? She just you know, she did well in Eastbourne, lost a tough match to Casaquina, so she comes here feeling pretty confident. She plays against the player that she probably should beat on grass in Cereba's torn but she can play on grass too, likes to come into that. That'll be actually a fun match, I have to say. But Mattie Keys is in that section with Kostchuk, who can who can get through to the quarters there? Matti Keys has played really well through the years on grass, and certainly at Wimbledon, she knows how to play well here. She she lost a tough match to today, but look, the bottom line is, you've got as a ranker, you've got Emma Navarro. Hopefully she can figure out a way to do well on the grass, and I think she will probably get through that section. But someone in there is also Carolina Plischkova, who made the finals against Ash Barty a couple of years ago, who's not even seeded. So the women's draw is stacked with so many great players, and I have to say, not an easy first round for Coco Golf. She plays against Caroline Caroline doll Hyde, another American. Never fund to play an American, but massive game.
Speaker 2: She probably the biggest serves and this woman's drop door hide and she's gonna go out there. That question and swing away, and if things are laying it in, that's going to be a tough one for Coco. And like you said, like we were saying earlier, it's the first round match. No one comes out first round A lot of times it just plays lights out. So if I can kind of go swing for swing and hold her serve, the pressure kind of goes over to Coco. But if Coco gets through that, I like her to make a pretty deep run. I think she's going to be confident, going to play well, and I like her to kind of, you know, make a semi final or hopefully even more than that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I saw her practicing today. She was on eighteen as well and looking really relaxed and pretty happy. So quick, let's do a little rapid five for you, my friend, who is going to go the furthest of all the Americans in the draw. We've got Coca Golf, of course, Jessica Pagoula, got Tommy Paul, Ben Shelton, give me your I'm going to go on.
Speaker 2: The on the women's side, I'm going to go with Pegoula. I think she's making a final. And on the men's side, I'm going to go with Fritz. I think, you know his section of the draw there, you know, it is a tough section, but it's with it's with Zverev, it's with Draper. You know, there's not any like you know, he's kind of avoiding Alcoraz centered Novak. So I like Fritz to kind of get through there, maybe make a quarter, maybe a semi something like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, well I have I did say Rebakina, but I do think Pagoula as well, and I think Tommy Paul. I'm going to throw an upset in and I'm going to say Tommy Paul. I saw Tommy today as well. He looks super happy, super relaxed. He loves playing on the courts. I love, as you know we've talked about. He's implemented this coming into the net and playing this sort of grass court style of play on hardcourt and on clay. It has to translate on grass. And I think that he's a real threat in this tournament. And so I'm gonna say Tommy Paul and Jess Pegoula, but hey, we've got some great plays. I think Sammy Korda can also do that, all right, So speaking of Americans, of course, let's do a little reminder hear, of course, the Olympics begins July twenty six, across all the networks of NBC, all the Olympic tennis matches streaming live on Peacock through the day. You'll hear my trusty voice during that time. I can't wait for it, but let's get to it. The American team, Shelton, Tiafo, sub quarter, Mattie Keys all have opted out in playing in Paris. And I know that you are not surprised by this.
Speaker 2: I'm not surprised by it. It just the Olympics. For the Americans, it's not on the same level as the majors. I think they care about their their summer leading up to the US Open a little more and a lot of the you know, Tfo, Shelton quarter, those three especially, they're so young. They're going to get more shots at the Olympics in their career. Madison Keys, I guess I'm a little surprised with that, not that she's old, but I would have thought that she would have played it. But you know, I think they just want to get up. They all love playing the summer hardcourt season and that's where their priority is over the Olympics right now, are you surprised, I mean surprised that they're out.
Speaker 1: I'm a little surprised by Madison. And the only reason I'm surprised by Madison is because on clay she plays very well. She's done well at the French Open before. So look, a lot of this has to do with the timing, clearly, but also the surface. Right, You're never going to see Ben's never going to win a Meldo medal on clay. Francis probably not on clay. Sub quarter also probably not on clay. If it was on hardcore, I would say that they would play. Actually, I would say if it was on hardcourt, they would have all played, because it's just going straight into the hardcourt season. I'm a little surprised by Maddie just because I think she can do really well and she came so close to winning a bronze medal previously, so I know it means a lot to it. But she has represented the United States, you know, before in the Olympics, but has as has Francis. So I don't know. We don't really know officially the team yet because we'll figure it out. But look, Tommy, Paul, these guys want to go back and play. It'll be interesting to see who ends up going. But I'm surprised, and I'm not surprised, but a little disappointed because it meant so much to me to play.
Speaker 2: I know it. I hate to see this. I think sometimes for the tennis players, the Olympics means more to players from other countries. I don't know why. I don't have an answer for it, but it's just, uh, that's just what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Australia, we are sending astronomers groups. We clearly are a little bit more patriotic than it. That's all I'm going to say. I'm just kidding. I'm kidding. I'm kidding everybody out there, all right. So the update of all updates, of course, is that Rafa chose not to play Wimbledon, and we suspected this, which is the way. I also surprised Novak's playing because I think Novak really wants that gold medal. But Rafa has decided no Wimbledon. All the focus is on the Olympics. You know how well he plays in Roland Garrison, and he's also decided to play doubles with Carlos Alcarez. Tell me that's not going to be the hottest ticket in tennis to have this summer.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's gonna be huge. And I think for Rafa, look, he's he's he's got some injuries, he's not as fast. He wants to cover fifty percent of a court now and that double so like he could really he can really get after it. I think we're going to see a lay at all the lie a lot of pressure in Alcaraz. They're like, hey, like carry carry your idol here for a little bit at the Olympics. But well, I hope they're you know, I don't. I'm not overly optimistic that Rafa is going to make a run to a medal in singles. But in doubles, Rafa's fantastic. I feel like Rafa's played about twenty doubles tournaments and won like fourteen of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so oh he want to go medal before listen, he want to go medal already in doubles. So he knows how to do it with a with a arguably a lesser player than al Chaaz, but he isn't he doesn't have to run. Alcarez covers the entire court by himself. The guy so fast, So I cannot wait to see those guys play. It will be as I said, must see TV and possibly depending on how Rafa plays. And I'm going to I'm going to make a prediction here. I think Rafa is going to surprise you at the Olympics, best of three sets at Roland Garros. I think he's training his butt off right now to do well there and it would not surprise me. And I think him losing the way he did it to Suveev in the first round where he played very well, I think he feels like that guy got to the final and I played him tough. He served for the second set, he was up a break in the third. I think he feels like he can play with these guys and hang with them over best of three on clay at Roland Garras. Don't be surprised if he's playing for a medal. It's all I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm I'm with you on that a little bit. And because not every players playing, you know what I mean, We've we've seen some of the Americans opt out. Who knows if Novak plays, you know, we just the draws. It's not the French Open draw. You there we've got. There's gonna be a few more soft spots in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you heard it here first. All right, So let's build your ultimate tennis player using parts from any tennis player past or present. All right, so send us your your answers. I guess we should probably let's play tennis, Franganci and build your ultimate tennis player using parts from any tennis player past the present. Roger Federer, that's all I need.
Speaker 2: I think that's what I want for everything.
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean, seriously, he has every single shot, and I agree that's probably it. But uh, we're going to answer it. I guess when that time comes. Roddick Serf, Djokovic returns a Rinker's backhand, Federer's forehand and composure and Nadal's drive to win my answers. Wow, let's stay there, all right.
Speaker 2: So I'll give you the shot and then you give me the player. So let's go. Let's start with let's start with serve.
Speaker 1: I'll take John Isner and Serena Williams forehand, stephie Graff and Roger Federer backhand. This is a tough one on the women's side. This is really I think I at her peak. I will go with Venus Williams. And on the men's side, Oh, this is hard, I'll go with Novak.
Speaker 2: We'll go with Speed, Speed, I'd.
Speaker 1: Say right now, I'd say Carlos al Qurez. I've never seen anything like it in my life. And on the women's side, that's a toss up. You know, Stephie Graff was one of the greatest movies I've ever seen, so I would probably say Steffie with a little bit maybe of Serena at her peak as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we'll go last category, we go like, you know, mentality, I guess the mental side of it.
Speaker 1: I would peak Rafa and because I never saw the guy quit on a point or ever in or shot ever, so I would say him, and I would say mentality. In the women's game, Oh that's so hard, boy. I think peak Monica sellis just tough as nails. Yeah, toughest names. Yeah. Uh so, yeah, that's my favorite. What about you. Let's go, sir.
Speaker 2: It's that it's too obvious. On the women's side, I can pick myself for the serve, but I'm going is their serve On the women's side, Serena all right, forehand, fourhand, I'm gonna go Gosh, it's Rogers. And for the women, I mean Serena again. Backhand backhand, I'm gonna go Novak. And on the women's side, I always like as a rankers backhand. I don't really know. I just like love watching your back just like.
Speaker 1: You could pick ten women on the back end. You pick sure a Poe, but you could pick as a ranker you could. You can even pick Eager. Now you can pick Cocoa Golf's backhand like I like it. I like it all right.
Speaker 2: Mentality, Oh, we got speed speed, I'm gonna go with. On the men's side, I'm gonna go with mole Fee and he might not be as fast. I got fun speed, you know. Like it's just like I got them walking around slide and on the women's side, ega and I'm kind of combining like speed and movement.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: I love watching her move around the court.
Speaker 1: I agree, And I think she added the slide in that we haven't seen too many do all right. One thing that you didn't add because clearly it didn't matter to you as much and it should have and you should is what about volleys? Man volleys?
Speaker 2: I mean, everyone back in the day had good volleys, right, And I didn't watch a ton of tennis then, so it's hard for me to say like Roger because like in my era, he was like the only guy that had perfect bolly.
Speaker 1: Roger's vollies were not that they were good. Don't don't at me.
Speaker 2: They were have like a like a sixty year old Aussie that had good volleys.
Speaker 1: You're not going to answer this question. I would go with John McEnroe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these were good. I'm taking Roger.
Speaker 1: And on the women's no way, I would pick Edinburgh and Pat Rafter over. Raffa's over, sorry over Roger's volley's for sure, Raptor.
Speaker 2: I didn't watch a lot of Edinburgh. Or I'll give you Rafter all right.
Speaker 1: And on the women's side for volley's, I'll take Martina nav attelover and I probably mind taking and listen, I'll take mine. I'm just kidding. You took your serve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I'll take never to love.
Speaker 1: To other woman's side, yeah, I mean Martina and John Tortow.
Speaker 2: She was fifty years old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was winning mixed doubles Grand slams at fifty what anyway, So we thank everyone for their answers the Frankistein of tennis. There's so many to choose from. It was really hard. And listen, any of those people we mentioned, you can't go wrong with any of them. And if you want to just put Roger Federer, that's fine. And Serena Williams right.
Speaker 2: Serena down the line and you've got a great player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, all right, everyone, We cannot wait. Of course, Wimbledon is around the corner. I am here covering it. Sam will be home watching it and opining over the fact that if he didn't play pickleball he would still he would be here playing. But we'll save your spot for you. Sam. Don't worry. The grass still will work for you. With your serve. It's going to be okay. Join us every day. We can't wait to show it to you. Thanks everyone, of course for joining us here again on the French Connection, brought to you by NBC Sports and Racket. The next episode drops July tenth. We'll see you then and hopefully we'll get a little surprised, maybe a guest for you to talk about all things that happened at Wimbledon, and of course going into the NBC I just call him the NBC Olympics, because really that the music just playing in my head already. You know I won't sing because I can't sing, but Sam can't wait. These two weeks are going to be great and then we get to talk about all of this again. July tenth. Thanks for joining us today, everyone say goodbye, Sam, you're over here. Let's go the wrong way and don't worry everyone. Sam will be available on his Instagram doing all kinds of fun things, so follow him on Instagram. And if you don't, you miss an out, you miss it out. That's all I can say. All right, guys, thanks and joining us today. We'll see you next time.