Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Me and M, the British modern luxury clothing label designed for busy women. Founded and designed in London. Me and M is about intelligence style. Much thought and care are put into the design process, so every piece is flattering, functional and made to last forever. Me and M is well known for its trousers and how I got to know the brand. It's my go to for styles that are comfortable enough to wear in the kitchen or the restaurant, also polished enough for meetings. Me and M is available online and in stores across London, Edinburgh, New York. If you're in London, I'd really recommend heading to their beautiful, brand new flagship store in Marlevin, which opens on the twenty ninth of October. How often have people said to me, there is a certain person I must meet, Ruthie. I know you'll love her for a while. This has been said to me over and over about Sir shar Nan. In a way I feel I have met her through the intimacy of her performances, the movie she's shown to make and her fourthright interviews Greta Gerwick, who directed her in Ladybird and Little Women sat at the table with me in our house, talking about Sirsha and how unique the experience of working with her is. It's like we have one brain, she said. Now the three of us are here together, sitting around a table at the River Cafe. We're going to talk about food and cooking, Sirsha's garden, learning to eat spaghetti, and much much more. And now when people ask me, I will say, yes, I've met her, and yes I love her.
Speaker 2: Not so not I know is beautiful.
Speaker 3: It was so beautiful, so beautiful.
Speaker 2: Spaghetti with crab. Okay, so today we have five hundred grams of fresh crab meat. Is it white and dark white white?
Speaker 4: Three fresh red chilies, seated and finely chopped, Four tablespoons of flat leaf parsley, me chopped, the juice of four lemons, three garlic cloves, peeled and ground paste, two hundred and fifty mils of olive oil, five hundred grams of spaghetti.
Speaker 2: And extra virgin olive oil.
Speaker 4: Simple, simple, Put the crab in a bowl, add the chili's, most of the chopped parsley, the lemon, juice of garlic, the.
Speaker 2: Season well, stir in the olive oil.
Speaker 4: I feel like something's happening behind my head while I'm saying is cook the spaghetti and a generous amount of boiling water and drain thoroughly, stir into the crab sauce, but.
Speaker 2: Do not reheat.
Speaker 4: Serve sprinkled with the remaining chop parsley and a generous amount of olive oil.
Speaker 1: In Brooklyn, Yeah, you were taught how to eat spaghetti cetti, So you're going to teach us. You're going to teach Greta and I how to how to eat doing this right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because well the girls in the film did it.
Speaker 2: The girls in the movie do it with a spoon. I never use a spoon. I would use I would never use.
Speaker 1: Well, they do that like they put the go for your tech.
Speaker 4: I don't like using a spoon, do you You just use the plate?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Italian way. You just stab it and spin it, stab and star.
Speaker 1: You were born in New York, Yeah, did your parents still feel a sense of identity with Ireland in New York and food wise?
Speaker 2: Do you think they did? They did? I think my mom did. Especially. Everything was just always homemade for us. It was always it was always the main event of the day.
Speaker 4: She would cook more traditional Irish stuff, so she used to.
Speaker 2: She still like she cooks like coddle. Have you heard of Irish coddle, which is like a stew. I don't know. She also when I was working, she didn't do it.
Speaker 4: On a Ladybird because she wasn't around for long enough. But Mom used to like batch cook and just like bring food in for the crew, even though.
Speaker 2: Nobody asked for it.
Speaker 4: But she was like, I'll just make this and I'll bring it in and whoever wants it can have it. And she would heat it up in my trailer when we were doing night shoots on like Hannah and stuff, when we were in the middle of like I don't know, Munich or something, and she'd make these like home cooked meals.
Speaker 2: And that's just kind of what I was used to.
Speaker 4: And coddle is sort of like an Irish stew that you can kind of put anything into. Its peasant food, like Ireland doesn't really have a cuisine in the way that like Italy, France, like Southern America does, Like there's no kind of specific diet except for potatoes and whatever meat you can get your hand on. So the soup would be she'd use like a vegetable broth. She puts barley in. It's celery, carrots, onions, sausages, rashers as we call them. But bacon, just lots and lots of goodness. And we used to have that a lot grown up, but we had that in the Bronx, Like that was the kind of food that she used to make.
Speaker 1: Did she work when I was a kid, She was a nanny, so she would come home from work and then cook.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she did it all lot. She brought me to work with her. Then she would cook.
Speaker 1: She took care of other people's children.
Speaker 4: She took care of other people's children. She would not only cook for Dad and I. But we always had Ireland stay with us. So because Dad became an actor while he was over there, and that was absolutely not part of the plan. Like Dad had not finished school, he hadn't even been to the theater before he auditioned for his first play. And when he got into that world, it became everything, really and they became such a part of that Irish American off off Broadway community. And so we had actors staying with us all the time in the Bronx, in the Bronx, in this tiny little like one bedroom flat, and we had this pull out sofa and you'd have like people like Brona Gallaher, who's this incredible Irish actor, Like they would live with us and man would cook for all of them.
Speaker 1: Did your parents go to New York out of a desire to work?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they left school when they were like fifteen sixteen and that was the place to go back then.
Speaker 2: So I think they had friends who had moved over ahead of them.
Speaker 1: And then they went back to Ireland. And so you probably don't remember New York if you left when you three.
Speaker 2: I remember what I ate?
Speaker 1: You don't before three? Can you remember what you ate before three?
Speaker 2: Don't what she does?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Interesting?
Speaker 4: There was this diner that I went back to for like a sixty second sixty secondary sixty minutes.
Speaker 3: That sixty minutes, sixty minutes, it's only sixty seconds.
Speaker 2: Your generation sounds.
Speaker 4: Like before you came in your generation.
Speaker 2: Version, Yeah, segments.
Speaker 4: And they brought me back to this diner that I used to go to when I was a kid, when I was like three or four, and I always had a grilled cheese sandwich and a pickle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you can remember that from being Yeah, and so was it? Did they react when they went back to Ireland, did they go back with joy and pleasure or did they just find New York was too tough?
Speaker 2: New York was tough.
Speaker 4: They didn't have enough money to stay there. But also Dad had become an actor that was doing relatively well and there was a surge of Irish work at that time because of Jim Sheard and Neil Jordan people like that, So the work was just taking him back home. And I think when ma'm had me, she was adamant that she was going to have me in the States so that I had citizenship, so that I was free to sort of roam in a way that they never were, which has been such a blessing in hindsight, because I you know, I've lived and worked in the States and I can come and go as I play, as I can vote in the election.
Speaker 2: Which is great.
Speaker 4: But I think she realized that this wasn't the kind of environment she wanted me to grow up. And because they didn't have enough money to like get a beautiful apartment or have a garden, or to a four day care, like.
Speaker 2: They just didn't have that.
Speaker 4: And also I think to have that support system for anyone, no matter where you live is so important when you have a kid. And also the work was taken dad back there, so they moved back.
Speaker 2: But the really.
Speaker 4: Interesting thing that my mom has kind of very honestly talked about me over the years is that there is still this notion of like the American dream and you sort of becoming like the next Kennedy. And when you come back from America and that hasn't happened, you sort of feel like your tail is between your legs a little bit. That you came back and it wasn't the success story that you thought it would be. It really made them who they are and they made some incredible friends over there, and I don't know if I would be doing what I am doing if they hadn't made that move, because that's where he was sort of discovered.
Speaker 2: As an actor. But it was it was hard, you know.
Speaker 4: And they were also coming back to Ireland during the Celtic Tiger where everything had become so expensive in that booth. That was the night that was like, yeah, the nineties, two thousands, and that was to Dublin. They moved back to Dublin for a spell and then we that's what took us to the countryside because Dublin was just too.
Speaker 1: Expect You remember the garden. Was there a garden in the country side, Yes, your mother, because you have a garden in London, don't you.
Speaker 2: I have a little garden in London.
Speaker 1: And what was a garden like in your house when you're growing up?
Speaker 2: It was the best we had.
Speaker 4: That's where I used to do all my audition tapes and and that was always the thing.
Speaker 2: That like directors and producers.
Speaker 4: Commented on when I sent over my audition for Atonement. I remember Gina j the cast an agent, and Joe the director, and everyone was like, we just couldn't believe it when you came out of that orp English accent and you showed us around this beautiful garden.
Speaker 1: That you grow around the garden.
Speaker 2: It was a big garden. It was probably like half an acre. It had. I remember when we moved in, there was two rose beds.
Speaker 4: That my mom hated. My mom never liked roses for some reason. I think they were sort of hard to tame. And she did the whole garden by herself. She used to use like a.
Speaker 2: Manual lawnmower and she would do the whole thing.
Speaker 4: It was like backbreaking work and it would take her like two days to cut all of the grass. It was quite manicured when we moved in, and she kept it up for years.
Speaker 1: Was it vegebles of flowers?
Speaker 4: It was flowers, and we had The people who owned it before us were an older couple and the woman was really into vegetables and she had a grapevine in a glasshouse. So I remember that was in the middle of the garden. And then over on the other side there was a sort of big stone wall with a tree grown out of it. And my dad did tree surgery for a while and there was a guy that he worked with who one day just decided to tie sort of this thick blue rope to the tree and he added a little log to the end of it and that was their swing. We just called it the rope, and myself and any of my friends that were over would just spend.
Speaker 2: Like the whole day out there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we have a really beautiful garden in Scotland. My husband Scottish and.
Speaker 2: We have vegetables that we grew this year. And so I.
Speaker 4: Keep thinking about like hopefully when we have kids one day being able to.
Speaker 2: Be like, should we go out to the shops.
Speaker 4: Just wandering outside digging up a load of potatoes.
Speaker 2: And onions and shalots, and.
Speaker 4: I'm getting so much enjoyment out of that, and I find it. It might sound silly to say, but I find it really inspirational. It like it feeds my soul in a way that the city just doesn't.
Speaker 1: When I interviewed Michael Caine, two things he liked with gardening and cooking because being an actor on a set, you have hundreds of people. It's collaborative. You've got people around you. And it was something that he could do by himself alone, but he could make something.
Speaker 4: You know, whether there was and it's something that's taken out of your hands when you are an actor a lot of the time, Like I've gone on to jobs where I vowed to cook for myself and then bring everything in during the week, and you just don't.
Speaker 2: You just don't follow through with it.
Speaker 4: But I I really miss it, and it makes me feel quite empty when I can't cook for myself.
Speaker 2: Like yesterday was Sunday, I cooked.
Speaker 4: A massive roast for just myself and my husband with all the trimmings, and it was delicious and full of love. And I took a few hours to put it together the proue. So I was telling your chef, I think it's from this cookbook that I found called Bitter Honey.
Speaker 2: Have you come across that coup book?
Speaker 4: And it's this english woman who moved over to Sardinia and.
Speaker 2: She has this beautiful recipe for.
Speaker 4: Like this anchovy garlic rosemary butter with lemon zest that she puts into a micrea that she puts into the chicken. And so I made a big stock of it ages ago and froze it and then just used a little bit of it yesterday.
Speaker 2: And I did that with like lots of gorgeous roasted veg with.
Speaker 4: With a honey that I got in Broadway Market yesterday actually, which is honey from the Venetian Lagoon.
Speaker 1: Every year, the River Cafe curates holiday gift boxes filled with Italian ingredients. Are extravirginal oil bottled exclusively for the River Cafe, Pawa Petrelli, tomatoes from Puya, Tuscan chocolates, and candied sweets from Genoa. One of our best boxes is the International Box, which also has River Cafe Limited edition jam Chipriani Ultra Fan taglerin need pasta River Cafe Cantucci, Anda Bella Freud candle. Order on our website, shop The River Cafe dot co dot uk or call me an O seven Sorry, okay, thanks.
Speaker 4: Food has always been so important to me. It's it's so emotional for everyone. But like my dinner in particular is something that I cannot skip. It's kind of how I like anchor myself.
Speaker 2: I build my whole day. I'm not joking. I build my whole day.
Speaker 4: Around my dinner and what I'm going to cook and when I'm gonna have it and who I'm gonna have it with.
Speaker 1: Your mother brought up with that notion of food that was your grandmother. Do you think your grandmother brought your mother up to have a meal every night and that food was that you had.
Speaker 4: I don't think Mam will mind me saying mom has quite a complex relationship with food.
Speaker 2: But she I think.
Speaker 4: She's always believed that by making and my dad is an incredible cook as well. She believed by injecting love into the food, you will taste that.
Speaker 2: And she every.
Speaker 4: Single Sunday, no matter where we were, would make a Sunday roast, and that was our tradition.
Speaker 1: You started so young, acting so do your mother brought domestic life wherever you were working. Yeah, so when did that stop?
Speaker 2: I was about eighteen or nineteen when I did.
Speaker 1: Why did it stop? But you just thought it.
Speaker 2: Was just time, you know. But it was an adjustment because she had been with me constantly for this whole time, through this incredibly formative, intense stage in my life, for every single moment of it.
Speaker 4: She was the one who I ran lines with. She was the one who when I would come home at the end of the day, I'd go, do you think this director likes me? Or like, I don't know, did this go well today? Or I don't think I did that as well as I could have done.
Speaker 2: And she was the thing that.
Speaker 4: Really kind of kept me in reality, and it was an adjustment for both of it.
Speaker 1: Did she I share this with you?
Speaker 2: She did.
Speaker 4: My dad is an excellent cook, so I think I learned a lot from my dad. And then also just when I left home when I was about ninety and I moved to London. I was in Highgate, which wasn't the right place for a teenager to go, but anyway, I went to Highgate and it was lovely, but I was very much I had my own flat because I'm not into like living with anyone.
Speaker 2: But I do regret that now, and I was very very lonely, and I don't know, I didn't make a conscious decision to.
Speaker 4: Do it, but I just it seemed to be very very important to me that I picked a recipe every single day and decided what I was going to cook for dinner just for myself that night. And I hadn't figured out like portion control yet, so I cooked for like four people for myself and ate most of it.
Speaker 2: And I did that every single entertained.
Speaker 1: Did you think of having people over?
Speaker 2: You know what? I didn't know as many people as I thought it did.
Speaker 1: What were your filming?
Speaker 4: So when I moved over, I just moved over for myself. I just wanted to leave Ireland and I needed to be somewhere else. But soon after I did Brooklyn, which of course heavily focuses on leaving home and homesickness and how shocking it is actually when you go through that experience, because nothing can really prepare you for it, And so I was going through that exact.
Speaker 2: Feeling and didn't have enough distance from it in order to see it clearly, I think.
Speaker 4: So that was I would say that, and Ladybird, and I've been saying this recently. Both of those characters were highlighting something that I was feeling very very vividly in my own life. And sometimes I found it really difficult playing those roles because it was so close to home, and it was very hard to have any separation from it, I suppose, but Brooklyn in particular was very difficult.
Speaker 2: It was very overwhelming at times.
Speaker 1: Was it completely filmed in London?
Speaker 2: No, anything in London.
Speaker 4: We filmed three weeks in Ennescorthy, which is where it's set in Wexford and that's where Contobain's from.
Speaker 2: And then we went to Montreal.
Speaker 4: Which doubled for Brooklyn because Brooklyn nowadays doesn't look like it did in the fifties.
Speaker 1: Did you go to restaurants? Was a kind of experienced food? Did your parents ever take you to restaurants? Or did you when you were living alone in London? Did you go to Greek or Chinese or eat food that was other than Irish?
Speaker 4: I ate a lot, I mean we ate a lot of different types of food in New York. Chinese was my favorite. And actually, when I did Jamie Oliver's cooking show, a few years ago, I asked, could we make general sous chicken, which is something that you don't get here, and I.
Speaker 2: Don't think he'd heard of it before.
Speaker 4: Some people say so, some people say show it's like tangy, yeah, but spicy as well.
Speaker 2: It's not quite sweet and sour. It's kind of more.
Speaker 4: Like an orange dish. But yeah, we made it together.
Speaker 2: Which was really nice.
Speaker 1: Jack he loves does he love food?
Speaker 4: He loves food, but he loves how much I love food, and I think he I remember when we were sort of coursing.
Speaker 2: I ate.
Speaker 4: I think I was eating like a burger or something, and I looked at him and I was like, what are you looking at?
Speaker 2: We were watching something on the TV, and he was like, I'm watching.
Speaker 4: You while you eat the burger because you're getting so much out of the burger.
Speaker 2: And that was when I knew. I was like, you're my guy, and thank you. So yeah, so we yeah, we love it.
Speaker 1: And we were talking about Little Women and we're talking about the food that can you talk about both of you? Tell me about the food scene and little Women.
Speaker 3: The food and Little Women was period correct and there were always like cakes and buns and things, and you know, I.
Speaker 1: Was just watching you eat all that ice cream.
Speaker 2: We ate those florins that ate all the ice cream. I feel like you got it. Maybe it was me as well.
Speaker 1: I ate.
Speaker 2: I ate a lot of popcorn that day.
Speaker 4: It was just really interesting that we would have these scenes where either there was such a lack of food and that's all we could talk about, or there was too much food, or then we had a Christmas sequence in Little Women where the food was repurposed for Christmas decorations, which I've been very inspired by every Christmas since. So I'll like dry oranges and use bits of popcorn and put them on the string and.
Speaker 1: Things like that.
Speaker 2: They got very creative on Little Women.
Speaker 1: When you talk about film sets, and you've talked about the dinner, the importance of the dinner at night, do you have breakfast and do have lunch when you're working?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I definitely have lunch breakfast. I'll have something small sometimes I'm not that hungry during breakfast. But each movie has had a different type of breakfast. So like I did a film in Australia a couple of years ago, and they love veggiemite and they love their smashed avocado, So I would have smashed avocado on toast with veggiemite for breakfast every day, for breakfast every day the whole shoot. Yeah, on a job I did at the start of the year, I was just having smoothies.
Speaker 2: It depends breakfast isn't as important for me.
Speaker 4: But then when I'm away, you know, on holiday in places like Italy and France, it will become very continental and very much about the cheese and the meat and the fruit. And I think when I'm in Italy or France, that's the only time that I really enjoy breakfast.
Speaker 2: I look forward to breakfast because of how they do it. I prefer how they do it, and when you're.
Speaker 1: Working to other foods that make you feel more like working and some that make you feel more tired, is it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that's the problem actually on a lot of movie sets is that less caterers are doing it now. But for a really long time, caterers.
Speaker 2: Would make like really stodgy, heavy food when.
Speaker 4: We were doing Little Women and you were braggers, but nobody knew. I knew something was off off because on Ladybird all she ate ri Cheetos, like six packets of Cheetos a day.
Speaker 1: You went back to the food of your kind of teenage cheers.
Speaker 4: And then we went on to little women and I'd come over to the monitor and she'd have a wooden I specifically remember a wooden bowl, a big wooden bowl with an entire roast chicken in the bowl, like.
Speaker 2: On a bed of salad.
Speaker 4: And she'd lead that every day and I was like, what happened to you? Like, why are you so health conscious?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: This isn't the credit. I knew it from a few years ago.
Speaker 3: A good day, I had like a full leg of lamb and you were like, you, Queen, I know.
Speaker 1: My young prince.
Speaker 5: Needs only the best.
Speaker 4: Even then at the end, when someone was like, she's pregnant, that's what it is, I was like, that's a fox.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is it a fox or a cat?
Speaker 2: That's a dog, it's a terrier, it's not a fox. But there's so many foxes around London now.
Speaker 1: When we have a flat in the basement and somebody my son was down there and Bow had the door open and the fox wondered, I like, London has foxes kind of wild.
Speaker 3: It makes me feel like it is like not totally controlled.
Speaker 4: No, And I feel like the number of Foxes has gone up in the last few years. We have a street around the corner from us and it's like the Fox Street, like there's a whole family that lived there.
Speaker 1: If you like listening to Ruthie's Table for would you please make sure to rate and review the podcast on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, O, wherever you get your podcasts. Thank you. I thought we could talk about Blitz for a minute. I haven't seen it. It's about a mother and separation and a child in separation. Is that right?
Speaker 2: I guess yeah, I guess.
Speaker 4: What Steve mcquaan has done really brilliantly is that he's paired the romanticism that I think people who grew up during the Blitz and during the Second World War do have about that period. And I think that's born out of the human spirit that just will always endure no matter what it's faced with. So that is absolutely something to be celebrated. And we have moments of people coming together and working.
Speaker 2: Together in Blitz, but in true Steve.
Speaker 4: Mcquaan fashion, it's an incredibly honest take on.
Speaker 2: The cruelty of life.
Speaker 4: And war and how hard people can be on one another, and it kind of feels like the Blitz itself is more of a backdrop for this very domestic story actually between a child and his mother and that incredibly tense relationship, especially between a single parents and their child, and how when they are separated from one another there is this invisible tie, as I'm sure you guys feel with your kids. My best friend just had her first baby and she said that, you know, even when I'm not with him, i am there.
Speaker 2: There's one half of my brain that is just always with him.
Speaker 4: And so I think that's what we're really connecting to in Blitz, is that you.
Speaker 1: Are and grem Nord. Let's talk about grem Norton.
Speaker 4: I was on, Yes, I was on Graham and I had such a great time, and I was there with Paul, Who's.
Speaker 1: There was love that. I really liked them all. I did a podcast with Eddie and Paul's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And I think Paul and I knew over the last few months that with him having Gladiator out, me having these two movies out, that we would hopefully be doing a lot of our press together, which is a relief for us because I think when you're in you know, a crowded and you're able to look across and see someone that you genuinely love, like when Greta and I will do stuff together as well, it just sort of it grounds you. But yeah, there was this comment that I was Eddie was being sort of coached on how he could use anything as a weapon for his show, that you could use any it could be a tea cup or whatever, and the lads were saying, how you know, in the heat of the moment, if you're being attached by someone, you would never think to use anything as a weapon. And I was listening to it, and it really wasn't sort of me trying to put anyone in their place, but I was just being honest about like a girl's experience in this life is that you sort of need to you need to look in your bag before you go out, before you even leave the house, and go, Okay, what can I use in case I get attacked?
Speaker 2: And we can laugh about it, but it's true.
Speaker 4: And so I think that's why I made that comment that actually, for girls, you do have to think about this sort of stuff and you would be fully aware that you can use something like an iPhone as a weapon. But I am very conscious of that, like I don't have kids yet, But the older I'm getting and the more aware I am at the effect that that's had on me as a person, and it does every single woman.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 4: The idea of my little girl having to think about that and this being on her shoulders as it inevitably will.
Speaker 1: Be, yeah and yours and hers, and yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Makes me so angry. Actually, it makes me really angry.
Speaker 4: And I guess the only way I've been able to sort of take some control back over that particular narrative that's just been sort of setting stone for women since the beginning of time is to at least express it to men so that they can have an awareness of it as well.
Speaker 1: My daughter in law is a city planner and she's working on women's safety. Thinking about safety, thinking about violence is something we do all the time. And you have a second movie.
Speaker 4: Yes, So my other film is The Outrun, which Greta has say. I was very nervous about her saying it, but it's a movie that.
Speaker 2: Nervous because there's no one I wonder more than Grata.
Speaker 1: Did she.
Speaker 5: Produced this movie?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it was part of your grosses and artists as a producer as well.
Speaker 4: So the Outrun is based on a memoir of the same title by this woman called Amy Liptrop, and it's about her recovery from alcoholism. Her relationship with alcohol became sort of chaotic and out of control when she moved from the Orkney Islands up in Scotland down to London, and over the course of a few years she lost kind of everything and everyone that was good in her life and nothing left and eventually goes into rehab, gets clean and unwillingly moves back to the Orkney Islands. And it's about that sort of complicated relationship that we all have with home and our parents, but also the healing that can only come from actually facing your past.
Speaker 2: And it really is this.
Speaker 4: Kind of very intimate but also very epic story of just someone healing themselves.
Speaker 2: It's been really special.
Speaker 3: It's very intimate and it's very.
Speaker 1: Watching a film of.
Speaker 2: Addiction and a film of recovery.
Speaker 3: It didn't feel like I was watching an actor act a thing. I felt like I was watching how a full body and need of you know, whatever the drug is, but also the need of the recovery, Like it felt embodied in every way. But this scene where you're like asking the guy for a light outside of the cafe, and you just need a friend, you need anyone, and you're so lonely you could almost touch it, and it was like a force field outside of her, and you're like, and you also understand, of course you want to use if you're that lonely. It was just really came through the specificness of this very beautiful, very stark place.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Have either of you had to experience and experience of people you love had with addiction, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: I think the reason why I wanted to make it is because I've watched people very close to me go through that. Some of them have seen the light and some of them have not, and you feel you can't help but resent them and the substance. And I think I'd carried so much anger around with me my whole life, and I really needed to let go of that. And I knew that the only way that I could really do that, and I still haven't fully done it, but the only way that I could begin to understand it as if I played someone with that particular addiction alcoholism.
Speaker 2: For me, especially coming.
Speaker 4: From Ireland where it is an issue, it's the same in Britain as well.
Speaker 2: It's it's so accessible, it's so a power.
Speaker 1: In a house. I was taught that within a minute of somebody entering your house, and it's actually rather nice is to say, whether it's somebody coming to fix your dishwasher, somebody coming to visit your child, or whatever it is, you say, can I get your drink? And it could be coffee or tea or something, but it means you're stopping what you're doing to look at the person say what can I get you? And so it's the kind of little thing in the back of my mind. But you also realize that a drink is also walking into a house and being offered a glass of wine or a gever it is, or.
Speaker 2: It's people on their own at the end of a hard.
Speaker 1: Day and they're like, oh, I'll just just have a bottle to myself.
Speaker 2: And then suddenly that turns into two or three. And it's so it can be so easily.
Speaker 4: Concealed alcoholism, I think in particular, and I find that incredibly dangerous. And I've gone through stages in my life where I've set I've been like, I'm not religious, but I soundly religious. When I say this, I'm like, it's the devil. It's like the devil incarnet. It just it infects everything that it touches. And I hated it. And I wouldn't say I've got total closure after experiencing bringing someone to life with that particular addiction, but it certainly helped me to understand, like the science behind it, the effect that it has on the brain, so that at least I have something that I can hold on to when you feel like it's your fault, but that person won't quit that it's a reflection on you, and of course it isn't, and I think that's You're right. That's why it would be so soul destroying if you're a kid, or a partner or a family member has that issue because you can't. There is no reason it has to come from them. It doesn't matter what you do.
Speaker 3: It's I remember a line that Noah and I wrote at one point, which is apropos at this moment in this movie Mistress America, when one of them, the character I play, wants to open a restaurant.
Speaker 1: But she she won't.
Speaker 3: Like you just sort of know she won't.
Speaker 1: She's not.
Speaker 3: Trustworthy anyway. She's asking for money from a guy she used to date. And he said, having a restaurant.
Speaker 2: It's it's like having a kid with a drug problem. It's really straining. Yeah, do you find he.
Speaker 5: Says, it's so callously in this moment, But just I also my friends who luckily, thank god, been through recovery and are like healthy. I've told them to see the outrun.
Speaker 3: You know, you don't want to say the wrong thing, but anyway, really connected.
Speaker 1: We always end this with comfort. We go to eat because of your mother sharing her love for you every night, about feeding your husband, about going in the garden. But food is also something for we reach for when we need comfort. Is there a food that you would go to for comfort?
Speaker 4: It's so obvious if I do, say mash potatoes, So don't say no.
Speaker 1: Say it it so comfort for you would be okay, mashed potatoes. Does it remind you of home?
Speaker 4: There's a few things, okay, okay, so there's there's mash potatoes. Also, when when I was a kid, Mommy used to I want to do this more. Actually she used to put broccoli in with the mashed potatoes and some butter and mix it together, and that was like, honestly the most delicious thing ever. But also penny Ala vodka for me, which I think originated at Alkie Batola.
Speaker 2: Right, so I've gone there.
Speaker 1: Isn't it great? And Florence just outside.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love it so much.
Speaker 4: I actually don't want to tell people about it because then everyone will no, no, you talk about the best restaurant ever.
Speaker 2: So Pennae Ala vodka for me.
Speaker 4: That would probably be my final meal, I would say, with a bowl of mashed potatoes on the side.
Speaker 1: Do you make it yourself?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've started to make do you make you know what?
Speaker 4: I don't make mashed potatoes as much as I should, but I'm going to make more of it. And I want to put some parmesan in with it as well, so it's kind of chewiness.
Speaker 2: And but I'm starting to use butter.
Speaker 1: More and more. We've had lots of those conversations about butter with lovely.
Speaker 4: Salty yellow butter. That's what makes me sad about America. All the butter is quite white.
Speaker 3: I always buy the I always buy the salt and carry gold, which is nice and yellow, which is Irish.
Speaker 2: That's the best butter, and they have it at Cinderella. Someone said that to me recently.
Speaker 4: She was like, if you want to eat the best food, Eat what your granny ate eat.
Speaker 2: Proper whole foods, proper butter, whole milk.
Speaker 4: I've gone back to Holts, unhomogenized on pasteurized milk.
Speaker 1: So it would be it would be mashed potatoes. And how do you make your penny?
Speaker 4: Following a recipe with that one? So I've only done it a couple of times. It's got a tiny bit of chili in it, I think.
Speaker 1: And tomato tomato with cream.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very simple. I was telling your chef as well about that. Marchella has anne simple tomato sauce.
Speaker 1: Y do that.
Speaker 2: I do that all the time, and when I'm away, Jack.
Speaker 4: Is useless when it comes to cooking for himself. So I'm like the tin of tomato in the pot, put the butter in, chop the onion in half, sprinkle salt, simmare it for forty.
Speaker 2: You're good to go.
Speaker 1: Well, that was a great talk. We're going to do more together. You're going to come and cook in the River Cafe next time you bring your mom, bring my mom, bring your mom.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you, I'd be a pleasure you