Speaker 1: Yuck digital, No thanks, It's one more thing I'm strong.
Speaker 2: Indeed, before we get to yuck digital no thanks. I get way too many phishing texts. Drives me crazy. That's why it makes me angry when I go to a restaurant and how many two insider outside doesn't matter to me. Okay, can I have your phone number?
Speaker 1: No? Why do you need my phone number for.
Speaker 2: Me to eat at this restaurant? Because if I give it to you, I'm gonna get all these damn texts because you're selling it to people I know you are. Drives me nuts. Anyway, I got one of these texts the other day.
Speaker 1: Thing it's probably reached critical mass went now, and there's so many freaking companies and Russian mobsters who have my phone number, I might as well just give it out to everybody. I to post it on my roof, so so airplanes going over ahead and can see it.
Speaker 2: I got this one yesterday. Though usually it's pretty obviously a scam of some part, but this one was pretty good. If I had to choose my friend all over again, I'd still choose you every single time from a random phone number, and they're just hoping that I'm a lonely person that thinks, wow, is there any link attached one of my very Well, it's a phone number. I could text back, but I assume something do it. Well, I assume that alerts them that this is a live number, and then I just get endless.
Speaker 1: Katie, Katie too soon. He's still bouncing back from the affair with the Ukrainian. That's right, yeah, scammer that relationship ending.
Speaker 2: You think I should have pursued this?
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, every time I get one to sell all the time, I'll get these texts that say, hey, Ashley, are we still on for lunch later? And I always go, you have the wrong number. Sorry, oh I do. I'm so sorry to have bothered you. And then I'm like, okay, I know what this is. You didn't bother me. It's all good. So now that we're talking, what do you like to do for fun? And oh, I just I broke these people in for if I have time, for as long as I can, because that means they're not doing it to somebody else.
Speaker 2: Well, have you ever seen feel Von stuff on that they podcast or comedian? He's got a whole website of it. He is so good at it. It is hilarious.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, help out.
Speaker 2: I'm here at the hospital. Thanks for getting a hold of me. I just had my legs removed and I'm really needing someone to talk to.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, And they'll keep going until you use the word.
Speaker 2: Scammer and then they stop. Yeah. Oh it's so fun. Wow. Yeah, Okay, I'll text this person back and then tomorrow we'll check in and see how this person who said if I had to choose my friend all over again, I still choose you every single time. How should I respond to that person?
Speaker 3: I feel the same way about you.
Speaker 2: So I was going to go, if you betray those of the words of a you betrayed me, and you are now my mortal end to me? Where do you live?
Speaker 1: I like you? Oh, I like that even better. See, I'm probably technically digitally naive. I always I don't want to respond in any way, so they don't know it's a live film number and it landed, but they can tell that anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I send red receipts, so if I open it, it shows both now Android and Apple that I.
Speaker 1: Don't.
Speaker 2: I don't. I want to be I want plausible deniability to say.
Speaker 1: It's always ability and everything you do kids. Here's a tip from your old uncle's Joe and Jack.
Speaker 3: And then you don't send the red receipt what it.
Speaker 1: Says delivered, so the scammers would know, Okay, that is a phone you think. Okay, Joe, I might as well engage them and mess with them because that would delight me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as long as you don't click any links, you're fine.
Speaker 1: I was made for that, tooted. So my my introduction digital yuck. Essentially, it's about this piece we referenced very briefly during the show the radio show Slash podcast earlier by Ted Joya. Being human as cool as in is Ai saturates everyday life. People are seeking refuge in flesh and blood alternatives from bookstore signings to vinyl record sales. And there are a bunch of different examples about this, and I don't care examples of this. I don't care if this has reached any sort of critical mass. I have given up on quote unquote humanity. But if individuals or small groups of people, or my friends or my family can do the right, healthy thing, that's good enough for me.
Speaker 2: You've given up on humanity. That's an interesting ever has to be.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I never had any particular hope from humanity before humanity. That's one of the reasons I'm in conservative. That's why you have to have incentives and disincentives to have in orderly society, because you're not going to reform humanity and all of a sudden human nature is going to change after a million years. It'll never ever happen anyway. So here's this bookstore in Alabama. It's gotten a fair amount of coverage in the national news. It's a small, almost windowless business on a day in Birmingham, Alabama, and it doesn't look like much either. But their thing is uh. When many indie bookstores barely survive this book, the Alabama booksmith is flourishing. But it has a crazy strategy that draws customers who bypass stores in their own cities to purchase from distant retailer. Here's the secret. Every book in the store is signed by the author. This store owner wants the author to travel to Alabama to sign copies in the store. He likes to see the human author in the flesh. In an age of ai slop and books on Amazon, this is the ultimate verification of authorship. Blah blah blah. The Alabama bookstore can guarantee sales of several hundred copies of a new book and maybe more. And that's enough to convince authors to fit in Alabama on their book tours. And here's something for you, the Alabama booksmith. It rarely charges a premium for the signed copies. Our books don't cost more, the owner told the New Yorker, But they're worth more interesting customers repay them with their loyalties. Store does not solicit business. It now has approximately five thousand customers on its email list, and so many people travel from out of town to visit the store that it is negotiated at a discount and rate with a local hotel. Isn't it crazy? Then Ted writes about the same dynamics fueling the vinyl revival in music. Musicians sell these gigs. Many do it themselves. They man the merch table. I've actually seen this.
Speaker 2: Oh cool.
Speaker 1: I bought some CDs, but I liked the idea of vinyl even well. I had a lovely, lovely conversation with a songwriter. I thought it was terrific. Anyway you transact directly with fans here too, A real human does something no AI bot can replace. Everybody enjoys it, and then Ted writes, I speak with authority as someone who's been on both sides of the transaction. I bought directly for musicians relishing the opportunity to chat for a few seconds with a person behind the album. And I've peddled my own works at public events. Welcoming my chance to do the three s is sell, sign, and schmooze. Let's see you see the same thing? Oh go ahead, yeah and jump in anytime. I'm sorry, there's a lot here and I tend to go kind of quickly. But there's a new secret strategy in the arts, and it's built on the simplest thing you can imagine, namely existing as a human being. Here's ad Week, which I used to read all the time. You see the same thing in media right now where live streaming is taking off. For viewers, live streaming offers a refuge from the glowing, growing glut of AI generated content on their feeds, and I would also suggest to suggest it's a contrast with like the super edited, insanely high paced, fast paced stuff they write in a social media landscape where the difference between real and artificial has grown nearly imperceptible, the unmistakable humanity of real life video, real time videos or refreshing draw And then they get into the They think Amazon shut down, it's fresh and goat, it's fresh stores, fresh and ghost stores whatever it's called, that you could buy groceries without dealing with any checkout clerks, and that people didn't want this. I know there's a divide on the show over this, and I fully think maybe I'm in a minority. I'd rather do the self checkout, but I know you don't like it.
Speaker 2: No love self checkout. I just don't like hassling with the computer thing because I don't know how to handle three bananas.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, So your your inner misanthrope is in conflict with your inner luttite.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, that must be terrible, and the and the inner Why am I doing your job?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: But then you know grapes, I don't know. It doesn't have a bar code on it. The frig see.
Speaker 1: I think it's fun to figure it out. That's weird. I mean, I'm weird. I know I'm weird. Uh as Ai customer service becomes more pervasive. Oh my god, Oh my god. Judy and I were trying to rebalance what we have in our four oh one k. You got a little of this fund, a little that fun, a little less fun. And we talked to our angel Guru and he said, yeah, you're super heavily weighted in this. I'd sell some of this Bubba And we thought, all right, no problem, I think I'll do it on the website. How hard can it be harder than getting a camel through the eye of a needle to paraphrase the Bible as it turns out? And then I tried the effing chat bot that was going to help me. I might as well have asked my dog, Hey, Baxter, Baxter, how do you figure I sell some of this and buy some of the other thing? Baxter, Listen to me. There's a complete waste of time. So we get this, used the phone to call a human being and he helped us brilliantly in about five minutes.
Speaker 2: Well, congratulations on getting a hold of a human being. Oh my god, I was trying to do a thing with a bank yesterday and could not figure out how to get to a human just couldn't do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay, so I interrupted myself, but I like this a couple of sentences as AI customer service becomes more pervasive, the luxury brands will survive by offering this human touch. I'm now encountering this term. Concierge service is a marketing angle in the digital age, and it's a fancy way to say I can speak to a human.
Speaker 2: If customer service makes a comeback, I'll be so happy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, it might cost you. It's like, you know, I, at this point in my career own a pretty nice car, and where I go for service is different than if you own a pretty cheap car. They take care of you. It's humans at every step and they want you to be happy. I'd love to see that penetrate, you know, down in the market more like it always used to be. I get efficiencies, I get it.
Speaker 3: I'd like to see it go down to the peasants.
Speaker 1: I would like that for you peasants.
Speaker 2: That's how I heard it too. Hey, I bought some jeens the other day, Brandon Jeans, and they sent me an email saying, we want to make sure you get the right size so you don't have to return them. And so they measured them and they said, they explain to me, take your favorite pair of genes and measure them this way and see if they're the right size. And I did, and so they sent them to me and they fit perfectly, as opposed to like half the time when I order stuff online it doesn't fit, and then you're supposed to send it back, but I never get around to it. So I have stacks and staxiclothes that don't fit.
Speaker 1: How your local thrift stores. Oh yeah, yeah, so this is interesting. Even tech companies are figuring this out. Spotify now boasts that it has human curators, not just cold algorithms. Cool Apple Music says human curation is more important than ever.
Speaker 2: Wow. I think in that world that maybe the AI would be better than a human, but maybe not.
Speaker 1: Huh. I know, I haven't paid attention lately. I remember early on thinking they sucked. The algorithms. I don't know. I don't want to it off into musical explorations, but just they're terrible. I'd like listen to something like really quirky and esoteric from a certain era, and it would give me the big smash hits from that era, and I'm like, no, I'm a hipster. How do you not get that I'm a hipster.
Speaker 3: Spotify has gotten really good with that. If you listen to something, it's more exploring things that are kind of in that realm rather than just throwing the you know, the hits at you.
Speaker 1: What I want to.
Speaker 2: But what I hate about Spotify is not having to search for the hot hits. So if I type in Fleetwood Mac and you have your albums listed, you don't have rumors. I've got to type that in by title to get that. If I'm listening to Fleetwood Mac, you got all these other live albums and recent albums nobody wants, you can't give me the biggest hit they ever had, And that happens over and over and over again. Drives me nuts. I almost don't use Spotify because of that.
Speaker 1: Interesting, Yeah, I'm not familiar with it. I mostly listen to Apple Music. Interestingly, band camps. Band Camp is organizing band camp clubs where members get special music selections, listening parties, and other perks from human curators. Then they like talk to each other about whether they liked the song and stuff. Imagine that. Let's see. Recently, streamer Quo Buzz Somebody Anybody, qobu z Yeah launched a announced launcher of a proprietary AI detection tool. The companies published a set of principles that include this paragraph quote our conviction AI can be a valuable amplifier and ever substitute for human judgments of their human curation.
Speaker 2: That sort of thing Quobaz or whatever you said that could be nobody or could have eighty million followers on some platform and I don't know them.
Speaker 3: It's a music streaming service that's considered better than Spotify for sound quality.
Speaker 2: Okay, I like that too, I like that got my attention.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got to send this to my son, who, as I've said several times, would be an editor Rolling Stone if he had been born thirty years sooner. But there's so much content everywhere you can't make any money from it. So I thought this was interesting. Final note from this bahbah the paradox of living in a digital age. Human beings have more prestige than ever they just and they get it just by showing up. Just being a human is so attractive in the digital world. This won't change. In fact, the Silicon Valley elites forcing tech down our throats will only make us hate cold, sterile tech more than ever they have me, and they won't fix that problem by training AI to pretend to be human. That just adds insult to injury. Oh so true. Yeah, this might even be the hot new career path, ready made for curators, concierges, caregivers, conversationalists, and other people who loved being around people. As the old pop song anticipated, they might just end up being the happiest people of them all. So welcome to the lovely new economy where humans actually matter. Go ahead, try it out, be cool, be a human. All the bot and boctom will never be able to take that away from you. Well.
Speaker 2: I don't particularly like humans, but uh, since the all the AI customer service stuff sucks, I prefer a human to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's just horrible. I like some humans. Just a question of how many and how much.
Speaker 2: There's like five unplanet Earth the rest of y'all can Poundsand what if they're friendly?
Speaker 1: Do they annoy you or.
Speaker 2: Good looks?
Speaker 1: Scerely friendly or like clearly friendly for a purpose?
Speaker 2: I just again with we were talking about this earlier in the show, the idea that AI is going to take all our jobs. Okay, I'll believe it. You're a genius, but sure ain't close yet. I mean, you'd think customer service would be better than it is. You can call a multi billion dollar bank and there and their AI customer service thing is shit. I mean, it's just shit. Whatever question you have, I'm sorry. Did you say accounts? No, I didn't say accounts. It's just I can't believe it's not better than it is. How how's it going to replace every white color job in America if they haven't gotten better than this so far?
Speaker 1: And you speak more distinctly than the average human being, right, what about your average marble.
Speaker 2: Mouthed half with boom Hower calls in needs to do something to checking.
Speaker 1: Cat coucheck around a.
Speaker 2: Little interest rates.
Speaker 1: I like In and Out for their customer service. I actually think they're customer service.
Speaker 2: High school kids standing out in the parking lot in the long line taking your order.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Nothing I love better than the old in and Out Michael
Speaker 2: Huh, Well, I guess that's it with pickles