Speaker 1: Hey, hey, hey, we're bad. We're black, We're black epision.
Speaker 2: Hey, mandra Hey we definitely didn't oversleep.
Speaker 1: Now, I know, I know what happened today. I'm not gonna lie walke up this morning and I said, I don't want I don't those days right it was. I was honestly like, I I don't want to wake up right now. I would love to, like, I don't know, maybe because it's draining. I definitely was feeling very like, well, it's me and I'm not gonna lie. Halfway through the day, I was like, oh, really, Tiffany, what is you You get to work from him and sit your own schedule. Me me, me, you get to take a nap in the middle of the day while everybody else is at work.
Speaker 2: And I was like, well, you put it that way, it's not something that you want to brag about, you over I overslept from my little late, late morning nap. I try not to tell my husband that I now during the day because he's.
Speaker 1: Like, I call my nap second sleep. I'm like, oh, it's not a second sleep, but.
Speaker 2: It looks like I missed. Like the world is falling apart.
Speaker 1: It's falling apart. Let what's going on?
Speaker 2: Catch me up?
Speaker 1: So as far as I know, so no, honestly. So. Earlier today I was on Twitter, aka the place where we all get our news from, and the Twitters had Mark Zuckenberger as Little Boosie calls him, which, if I think it, is hilarious because apparently Little Boozy was a band from Instagram, and so he's been using all of his friend's accounts like Little of all all those places, and he's been bagging for his Instagram back. He can't even get Mark Zuckerberg's name right, He's like, mister Zuckerberger, please, so we I referred to him as so Mark Zuckenberger. Apparently there was this sixty minute expos on Facebook last night. I don't want sixty minutes, but I do read Twitter, and that's why they were like trending and I was like, oh wow. So she blew the whistle saying then basically that Facebook Mark all of them knew that Facebook is harmful and toxic to people in specific ways, and they knew that they could actually fix it, but they determined that in so fixing it, it would mean that people would spend spending less time on the site. And as a result, if when you spend less time on the site, you're less likely to see ads. If you're less likely to see ads, you're less likely to click. If you're less likely to click, you're less likely to buy less money for Facebook. So they decided that it was worth it to put you in emotional, mental, psychological distress so they can make more money, which quite honestly sounds like every big organization that we know. I mean, let's be real, that's not unique to the sucking bug. Yeah, you know. But so I saw that, and then literally earlier I was talking to you know, our production team shout out, said dad sah, and I was like, oh, I wonder if Mandy's okay. Let me check her instant because that's what we do now. Like I figured, oh, maybe she's I figured, like you might be riding your bike in the park and forgot. I was like, let me see no, because I was gonna look at me like mmm. And I looked and I was like, wait a minute, Instagram is down, and then we all checked it was down, and then we went to Facebook. I said, wait a minute, Facebook is down, And then I tried to WhatsApp you to say, hey man, drug because I had text you. I was like, oh, what'sapp, you know, because maybe WhatsApp will ping. So I tried to to to text you and I was like via what'sapp and WhatsApp was down. Then I was like, wait, what how did these three How are these threings? The three things related? Facebook, Instagram, whatsappen all owned?
Speaker 2: Yes, sucker Puka.
Speaker 1: So here's here's my theory.
Speaker 2: You tell me, okay me the spy Malu, where's your monicle?
Speaker 1: My theory is the hardy boys, right, the hardy Blacks. So my theory is instead of Nancy Drew, we got it, Nakeisha Nakisha Drew right. So my theory is then because there was also a hashtag going that said the leade Facebook that somebody with some hacking skills said, crack my knuckles, say less and Facebook down. So yeah, that's it.
Speaker 2: Oh how the Mighty have fallen?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I heard that on the radio this morning. I'm like a sixty five year old lady. I guess you get your news from Twitter. I get my news from the radio. Yes, I heard about the like the and I guess I had known, you know, just kind of in the background. Facebook's been going through it ever since the twenty sixteen election and all that. You know, I'm all for whistleblowers, but I it just reminds you how powerful they are, because as much as you kind of want to resist Facebook, they are everywhere, and even through their Instagram and through WhatsApp, they are just taking on every new app out there. I mean, they're trying to make every other social media platform obsolete. They've already yeah, So I don't know, it's like it's hard to just go cold turkey away from these tools and these systems that are just so much a part of our even more so than the phone, you know, Like they're just such a huge part of how we connect to one another and get in touch with each other. So it's it's like a toxic relationship I feel like we have in Facebook and their whole portfolio of companies.
Speaker 1: I mean, Twitter's like the last holdout you know that doesn't belong to Like, yeah, remember the Snapchat. They try to buy Snapchat. Snapchat said no, so they're like, well, we'll make our own Snapchat, and sure enough they I mean, although kids still use no Chat, not as I don't hear about it as much as I used.
Speaker 2: To yeah, and TikTok, like now they have the reels and all that they are. It's I don't even know what to say. I just hope it's like I don't care. But I'm also like, can I get my ig back though, because we had some content, like our social media manager Amber had some plans today. I'm earlier, you.
Speaker 1: Know, so funny. First of all, Twitter is undefeated. Let's be real. Twitter is the shadies of all the platforms, and I love it. People are going in they're like someone was like I was in the middle of an argument and now on Instagram and now it's down, so they don't think they won. Danks Like literally, they're using SpongeBob like crazy. This is one with SpongeBob, Like you could tell he like kicked the door open and he's leaning one hand against the door and he's breathing, saying me running over to Twitter. I have to noticing that Facebook and Instagram is down, y'all?
Speaker 2: All right, oh lord, you know what also is down? And this is a company that maybe you guys haven't heard of. But I was just kind of like eating my virtual popcorn and getting caught up on all this drama around Ozzy have you heard of Ozzy.
Speaker 1: Yes, they wanted me to be on that show.
Speaker 2: Carlos what's his face, Carlos Watson, Yes, yes, So you decline, okay, good because they were apparently a hot mess. And I bring that up because it's another big brand that's kind of having a hard time. Well they've they've shut down, But you had talked about Elizabeth Holmes and Therahose last week and how you wanted to like talk about this, you know what's happening with Thearrahos and her trial is going on, and people were so obsessed with her downfall, almost to the point where it just reminded me like when you're beautiful, blonde and you're in power in Silicon Valley or in any big company. I just feel like American media and Americans we just like have this fascination with watching women fail. But Carlos Watson being a black man, black man you know his mom or his dad. He's part Jamaican and part something else I forget now, but it's just is like, damn it, when there's so few of us out there, you hate to see a black owned business like not even just shut down, but like gets so embarrassingly called out like they were on a call with Golden Sacks and they used did you read this like in the New York Times, he apparently his partner, his his his co CEO or CEO or something. They caught him using a digital like voice altering system service to change his voice and impersonate someone at a higher up at YouTube to try on a call with Golden Sacks to get more investing dollars. Like the level of foolishness that was going on at this company, and like apparently they've never really been transparent about their audience and how big they are. And like he had a show that he apparently you can just upload anything to Amazon Video if you want to, kind of like YouTube, and he was and he posted a billboard saying it was Amazon's Amazon Primes first talk show, first news focused talk show.
Speaker 1: Yes, I remember that that was the show they invited me on. And when my publicist shout out to you, Tracy l j a p R. Farmer Londons, well instance now but no, honestly, because she she does all the bedding, and she was like, I'm confused, because he had he has like pictures and like clips with people like you know, President Barack Obama and all those other people, she said, but then looking at the site, she said, something feels a little and some of y'all, you know, you could tell if you're forty and above food gayzy you might not know that word, Mandy.
Speaker 2: I know for gazy?
Speaker 1: Okay? Is that in theties as well? Y fake?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Yes? So she just was like, it just it didn't sit right, and she was like, hey, I don't want to think it's a fit tivity because although it does seem like he's had interviews reputable folks with these like little clips, it doesn't it's not jiving with what's happening on the site. And so we declined. But to your point, it is such a shame because it's not easy to get to a certain level of success and then for you to do so, and not to say you should carry the whole race or the whole gender on your back, because that's not fair.
Speaker 2: But and yet.
Speaker 1: And yet here we are, because let's be real, they're gonna be like, it's gonna be much harder for the next black man in media to be taken seriously because they're literally going to be like, you know, like they're already saying you trying to pull a their nose, you know, like, so what are they going to say another assie? You know, and everybody's delighting in it, but unfortunately, you know, it's it's bigger than just you when you have.
Speaker 2: A spotlight on you, absolutely, I mean there's headlines about like there was another article. It was like an opinion column. But it's like what Elizabeth Holmes rise and fall means for ambitious women?
Speaker 1: So great?
Speaker 2: We had one high powered woman, you know, billionaire on the on the front page of all these business magazines, and she ended up to be a fraud. And now it's like, well, that's just you know, gonna make it harder for ambitious women as like a as a cohort to get taken seriously. And Carlos, yeah, I mean him being a black man, a media it just it. I know, it's not fair, and yet that is the way that it is. That is the way that it is, and I feel like it just sets us back so far. It sets us back so far. I mean, what is it about Elizabeth Holmes's case that you feel like has captured I don't know, I don't even want to say imagination.
Speaker 1: It's so ludicrous, Like how does someone like no one said, let me actually see if this thing works. Not let me just take her word for it, but let me actually see if this thing works, because I mean she had secretaries of states generals. I mean, one super super prestigious Stanford teacher that was beloved quit his job to join her. And I'm just like, what she that cute? I mean, I don't I'm not really to be a like a gauge of like, you know, what's super attractive, but she's not giving Pamela Anderson nineteen ninety nine, you know what I mean. I'm just trying to understand, like, what was so engaging about her. I'm just saying she's to me, she looked like a regular, regular like woman, Like you know what I mean. She was not unattractive, but she's not somebody who would be like, oh my god, stunning.
Speaker 2: H you know, I think she had just enough of the you know, when you're glancing over someone's LinkedIn page or their resume or something.
Speaker 1: There are certain.
Speaker 2: Ways that, especially in the media, we describe people that it's almost like a way of giving them credibility. So a Stanford dropout somehow that became really sexy, and it became something that was appealing. And yes, like you said, once you have I mean she had, you know, recognizable names. Kissinger James Maddis supporting Theraphnos and it's like every additional person who gave her credibility, it made it easier for other people to do less work, to actually look at what she was doing. And it's this crazy line. And same with Ozzy. It's a line between because they were sort of overinflating their audience size and you know they had a because of Carlos and his his connection. I mean, he was an anchor on MSNBC was it before, so he had he had this like celebrity kind of talk show host you know, aura about him, and he would get big names like the Clinton Clinton's I think, or at least Hillary Obama. He had interviewed these really big names. And I think it's like it just shows the importance and the what's scary about how brands can borrow credibility from influential people that they are aligned with and then use it to dupe dupe so many people, And in Theraposi's case, it was people's lives, you know, people's health. I mean, Ozzy, you could argue people weren't, you know, thinking that they were going to get life altering information with their service. Is the same way that Therahnos was, you know, going to tell you everything you need to know about with the with the tiny pin prick blood sample. But they both went way over the line when it comes to selling their vision and faking it till you make it. But then you have other companies in Silicon Valley startups who that's kind of how you get investor funding. You got to kind of like sell them on a vision that does not exist yet, So like where is that Where is that line? When does it become fraud versus Oh, we're just really ambitious.
Speaker 1: Honestly, you're right, because I'm sure there are Like I remember, was it? I think I was reading someplace where Steve Jobs like the first time he debuted the I. What's the big one with the big back, big back, the back I the computer that member had, like the big is the iMac. It was that something was supposed to say hello, you know or what ever, and it didn't it wasn't working, so they fake, did you know? And then of course they got it working later, So it's like, what's the difference between that and her. I think the difference is it seems that, I mean, there's delusion and there's delusions of grandeur because although maybe you know those Honestly, I don't know, to be fair, I don't know, she might truly have believed that they were on the cusp of getting it to work. I don't know, you know, so maybe she wasn't you know, she was like, no, no, we and she just like kind of oversold herself. So to be fair, you know, what is really the difference between Steve Jobs pretending that his first major you know, thing that he that he shared is working, versus his you know, her lying and saying things are working when they did it. Yeah, but also too, I think that for her it wasn't just it's not just the technology. It was the fact that these are people's lives. I don't know if you saw. I watched Bad Blood, like they had a documentary and yes, there's so many, yes that woman is too many, right, But I watched honestly most of them because I was fascinated. So one of them was this woman who was in remission from cancer and took one of the tests that was supposed to be done by the fair noose machine and it looked like the cancer had come back. So of course she is terrified. Her doctor sends her to another lab and it's not true. I mean, that's that's that's really bad, that someone you know, giving something a false positive or false negative. And then you know, I was reading that how she's not even on trial for those things because that those records mysteriously disappeared. Can you imagine, so all of those people that you gave those falsified records to, you know, they disappeared. So I'll say this, She's not unique to the big business environment, but it's still wrong.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it is still wrong. I just I hope that we treat others. I hope that we treat other CEOs and company leaders and company boards with the same amount of fervor. And I don't know when everyone just sort of when everyone finally agreed that she was bad and that she was a liar. And the same thing with with Ozzy and his co founder. I mean, there's been I feel like half a dozen articles in the Times just overnight about the downfall of Ozzy, like it's they're a novelty, right, it's a black owned, it's a black man owning a brand and it's a white well, it's a woman in Silicon Valley owning this multi billion dollar company, and there is this I don't know, this sick, this kind of sick, twisted fascination with watching them fall. And I think with women owned brands in particular, you know, you look at there was this uh well, first there was this whole idea of the girl boss and the woman who created that whole and then she.
Speaker 1: Arms.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I feel like every badass woman that is on the cover of a magazine one month, give it a year, give it a year, and there will be an article in the Cut or in the Times or wherever talking about how employees accused them of a toxic work culture.
Speaker 1: Ah, not here and not here. I was on the cover of Money magazine and Unicorn Squad, But I get those NDAs kidding, No, I honestly, those are the things I think about. I think about that all the time, like in my creating a welcoming work environment and my making sure that my employees. I was so proud of one of my employees yesterday she she she sent me, she said, Tiffany, you know I've taken on additional responsibilities and I want to send you my my what do you call it? Her not her employment proposal, her salary proposal of what she felt like she deserved. And she was just like, I was so nervous to send this to you, but I saw you in your live where you said that you know, people should assert themselves if you bring a lot to the table. I was like, honestly, girl, I'm really proud of you. Yeah, because I didn't because I'm not. I look at salaries typically the year before, we kind of like look to make sure we're inn alignment. But if you pick up new like projects and things during the year, I might not make that connection. Or maybe your lead did not make that connection, like, oh, we're asking her to do more. Have we adjusted her pay? And we had not. So she was absolutely right, looks ting. I didn't even tell her, a girl, you're getting it. Actually surprised. I was gonna say, like no, because she was. Because when I looked, I was like, wait, girl, I'm so it's important. Now someone else might listen. You know, you might be a Unicorn squad member. You're like, oh, me too. Now here's the thing. Literally, what I told my I had a meeting with my CFO George today and I said, Georgia, can I get a list of like what everyone's making annually, you know, our full time and then like what part time is making and contractors, because I want to see is anybody out of alignment? So we used to do that every six months, and I don't know what fell through the cracks. Like myself and my CF, my COO, my CFO, we would literally look and say, is anyone el out of alignment? You know, has anyone picked up something new? And we forgot to adjust their pay because oftentimes people won't say they'll just do the work, and we don't want that. You know. I always used to tease them when we were before, when I didn't have money to pay annually and they would just be working hourly. So people would never punch in when we had our team meeting, and I would always see them and say, like, Harry Tubman did not she did not do what she did for y'all to be on this meeting and not have punched in. They're like, oh, but I ran out of hours and like because we would have like a set number of this very early budgetesta. So but I just say all that to say that, like I mean, I don't know what it looks like to run some billion dollar business, so for sure, obviously it's easier to run a smaller business. But I just hope that I never forget to check in and make sure that people that work for me, you know, are are happy.
Speaker 2: But let's say you do, like I want to be sure that there is space for people like you, for people like me women in a place that's necessarily not as you know, it hasn't always been the place where we can thrive and run a successful business. I just wish that we had the space to fail, the space to mess up once in a while. So like, let's say, you know, you do have someone who's underpaid for a few months, And believe me, I've been in that position too, where people on my team have had big gaps and it just it. It's not like you do it maliciously, but sometimes those things can happen someone and it happens quickly, and things kind of move slowly. Sometimes. I have a lot of empathy for companies when it comes to well, to a certain extent, empathy about pay in equity and how complicated it can be to fixos. But anyway, I just want there to be room for us to mess up once in a while. And I feel like if somebody, I feel like, if someone went to you know, a major corporation, was like, you know, Tiffany wasn't paying me what she said she's the budget Hoiston. She wasn't paying me when I wanted to get paid, and they were like vindictive. I can see a reporter seeing you and being like, oh wow, you know, she's all about empowering women to get what they're earning, and then look at her and they I could just see that that obsession in the media with that to tear it down, to tear you down because you are a novelty, and that is what frustrates me so much.
Speaker 1: I say, it's a lot of spirit because that happened earlier this year. Like I'm trying to decide I'm going to tell the story I am. You know what. Bumpet, so one of my mentees had made a mistake. Remember we talked about her making this mistake online and I told her, girl, you have to take your lumps because it was a mistake and you were wrong, you know, but we live and we learned. Because it has not it won't be your last but you know you will live to see another day. You continue on, but you apologize for it, and you and you try your best to make amends for it, and some people will forgive you, and some people will won't, and it's their prerogative not to. So there were a couple of other young women who was in personal finance involved, and they reached out to me to say, hey, you know, she made this mistake and she's tagging you. And I was like, what I had not known because I wasn't on social as much. And so when I found out, so the other young women, you know, they they sent me articles about why what she posted was offensive. I read and we were having a dialogue and I thought, okay. And then one of them, I think she like wanted to like jump on a call, and I said sure. And then the other one I reached out, was like, you know, if you'd like to talk, I'm open to learn. I said, no, one is too big for correction, you know, and I'm open to learn. I'd love to jump on the call. She said sure. So then I I like, my my mentee had posted an apology and I had wroteen underneath it. You know, you know, I'm proud of you for postings apology. So one of the girls was mad at me for telling my mentee I'm proud of you for posting an apology, and she wrote, this is why I'm so glad that we have new faces and personal finance, you know, basically like you know, like, oh, we're already in the guard Yeah, new people are here to push you out and not quite Honestly, I hope so sis I'm tired. Honestly, I was like, girl, I'll threatning with a good time. So when she said that, I was like, so that I reached by her and behind the scenes and I said, you know, you know, and then she posted a tweed and said people like the budgetnist to imagine it was so weird because she thought I was supporting my mentee because there was some sort of financial benefit, and I'm like, what would that be. There's no there was no financial benefit, you know. It wasn't like there's no brand, there's no I just thought that was strange anyway, that was her interpretation anyway, So she posted she tweeted, I hope I never become like the budgetista that she added me where you know, I do things that are not right for the financial benefit or something to that. She was basically trying to get the cancel train going. I think, you know, I didn't even because I knew that I could amplify that voice and I wasn't gonna do that. I was like, sis, I see you added me. You think I'm gonna like say sentencing back.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I hit her behind the scenes and I said, you know, if you think that I've done something thing wrong, I'm open to hearing about it because maybe I have. This is what I wrote her. So this is how I knew that the desire to for change was not really genuine. Sorry, girl, it wasn't. Because later she was like, actually, for my own mental health, I prefer not to talk to you. I'm like, oh, but you can. You could tweet poison gotcha, because oh, we're really here to make things different and change. But the moment that I'm like, girl, I am wide open, you know, like, let me know, because honestly, I really do want to do and be better. And I said that, but no, no, no, But you can tweet about and you can instagram and say all these things, you know, but when it comes time to actually have an adult conversation to say hey, Tiffany, this is where I think that you were wrong whatever, and not that it's her job to teach me anything, but that was offered. And then two, you know that if you're going to, you know, like I guess, try to publicly drag me for whatever reason. So anyway, I just thought that that was really unfortunate, and I thought to myself, well, what if that had work, you know, like what if she would have posted that? And then there was this tumbling effect of like, well, you hate budget Theese stuff, you hate Buese. I don't you know it's possible. You never know, you know, And I thought like that just would have been so unfortunate. Here's the thing though, with y'all, don't be knowing see some of y'all, all your money is made on the front end.
Speaker 2: It's foolish.
Speaker 1: I've been peep game. If you only knew like maybe ten percent of the money I make. If Budget Eesta were to disappear today, I would still be a very wealthy woman. It's too late. It's too light. Literally it's too late. So even if I were to disappear, I'll be still good, good, good good, and have so many services of product I've got equity in, I've got ownership in. I advise on all them stuff, sweetheart that you be on that's me too, like so, but I put those things in place on purpose to make sure that if ever, I didn't want to be do budgetiesta anymore. But it was a really eye opening experience about what it's like when people really are not really looking out for whatever the greater good benefit is. They're just looking to express their frustration, which is their right. But you know what that could be like to like, you know, like be canceled or whatever one day, and so a hope before that, you know, I sent my own self down. I'm like, don't sit me down. I want to set my whole self down. But it was just honestly, I wasn't afraid during that time, you know, because I was just like, you know, I just didn't really I didn't think much of it. But at the same time I was thinking I was disappointed. And because here's also the disappointment Mandy behind the scenes. I don't think people understand how much that the quote unquote old guard puts y'all on. Like I might not say, but I have a list of financial people of color and a day does not go by that. I'm a request is not made of me. Some and many of them are not within my price range. Ayd dollars twenty five hundred dollars five thousand, No, no, no, no, But I never ever ever let something cross my path that I can't you that I do not share with another financial educator of color. Never, you know, Patrice put me onto that of You know, we all love Patrice of Patresa's.
Speaker 2: King Wisdom, Yes, seek wisdom, wealth sor ry yes watching him one of our first guests ever.
Speaker 1: Yes, she was one of our first guests. She's got her own podcasts too, which is awesome. So she reminds because I remember asking with Patrice, like, well, if you can't do something, what do you do? Patrecea is like, girl, I always try to pass it on. I'm like, oh that's good. So we're in this black money group called Elevate, and so almost every week someone sends me something I can't do it. I posted and Elevate and said, does anybody want to do it? It's twenty five hundred dollars. They told me that I could share. I always ask if I could share, but not only just that. Sometimes brands literally come to me. There's a huge brand, one of the biggest financial brands in the world that ask me for a list of young, up and coming black and brown financial educators that they can start to invest in. And so what I look for obviously that you know your stuff, but I also look for how do you navigate in this space? Are you a tear downer or you're a builder upper? You know what I mean? Like, literally, there was a I just was tired. There was a twenty five thousand dollars contract now that is within range, but I said no to it, but not before passing it on. Twenty five thousand dollars is transformative money for a brand new financial educator, or a.
Speaker 2: Few email just to see if I got anything.
Speaker 1: You know, they were looking for it. They were looking for a dude. Fine, It's just like wait, I could be But I just say all that to say, be careful that the person that you're trying to tear down and attack it's not on the same team as you. Mama, like I put, I might not tell you, but like literally, I have my list and I'm always asking Sandy for people I'm oh. I like literally, I have like a running list of like dope educators that I'm like, oh, let me put her on, and let me put him on, and let me get and let me make that phone call or you know what. I see they're doing this, and I'll slide into people's DMS. But oftentimes that I'm putting people on with because I don't want them to get excited that maybe it doesn't go through. But oftentimes, if I cannot do a thing, I'm passing it on and sometimes the company will connect with that person and they won't you know, that person will never know and I'll see that they got it. I'm like, yes, but I'm not like Hagar, I got it. Like I just helped my friend Sondra. This organization wanted me to build out this coaching program and they were like, we have a grant for fifty to one hundred thousand dollars. I did not have the capacity, but I knew Sondra and she's amazing. That's what she does. She's got a nonprofit and that's what she does. She builds out coaching programs for large financial organizations. She got one hundred thousand dollars. She said, Tiffany, you just got me a hundred thousand dollars. I was like, I did, I couldn't even remember. She was like, girl, remember, I'm like no. But then I was like, oh yeah, yeah, months ago one hundred thousand dollars for her organization. So I just say all that to say like, it was just such a disappointment because I thought to myself, one day I will sit down. Not today, bobo, but one day, one day, I will sit down. And what I loved to do is I love mentoring and I want to be a con do it to make sure that you know that we continue to be seen, heard and paid in this space. And you want to be mindful of how you navigate. Not that you should kissing anybody's butt, you know, but you want to be mindful how you navigate because brands and people are watching. I had one brand said that they looked at all my social media back two years before hiring me two years because they wanted to make sure I wasn't with the shits. And so, like, people are watching and they're wanting to put you on give them, give them the space and the grace to do so. You know, it's okay to be angry and be mad and check someone, but make sure you're doing it for the greater good and not just on some pettiness.
Speaker 2: Amen. Absolutely, And I hope that we continue to support each other. I mean I'm not saying that just because you're a woman of color, Like we all have to support you. Think the work has to speak for itself. But let's not relish each other's downfalls and let's not contribute to Like there's already enough forces work against us, right, why add Why add to that and try to bring someone down just to give yourself some perceived edge, to give yourself some per like for a good tweet, you know, to get a couple of It's just not it's really not worth that. I mean, as we can see from Elizabeth Holmes and Carlos Watson, like the world will sit us on our asses if we deserve it eventually, and people will dance on those virtual graves. It looks like, especially if you're a woman or a person of color, because it's such a novelty, which is super depressing to me. But I think that that's why it's important Tiffany to to. I mean, it's almost like the extra burden of being black in business. It is watching every p and every queue you know, because it can be so easy to step out of to step a little bit outside the line, and to not be forgiven and not be let back into the you know, the club, the circle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you want to give especially, we want to give us a little extra grace space. I mean, it just even had me thinking about like, remember you know, the confience that he who shall not be named, you know, Yes, yes, I'm like, I wish you well from Afar, you know, because it's you know, ultimately, I don't want anybody, you know, like like livelihood to be taken from them. That's not the intention. Jesus, go ahead.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, this is kind of reminding me of Delianne Barros and what she just went through.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh my.
Speaker 2: Delianne the money Coach. She was actually a guest on BA a couple of episodes. Agoes to go back and listen, and this was a very delicate situation and she I think handled it as well as she could have. But she I just saw an ig live one evening. She had gone live and it was like, you know, this person is stealing my work and they are passing it off as their own, and I mean the evidence and first of all, Delianne is an entire attorney, Like she has a whole law degree. She only quit her job just a few months ago, y'all. Like she is still fresh. She's still fresh. I don't know why in particular, someone would want to steal her work, but she had for months been trying collecting evidence against this this other influencer, and she named them in her post. Yeah, she named them in her post. And I think my first inclination was like, whoa, let me really listen to this, because you know, you don't want it. And the other person is as a black woman, a woman of color, and it sucks to see someone that you know, when you're familiar with, get dragged in that way. But Delianne had all the receipts and I and she also had for months been trying to handle things outside of the public eye, you know, privately, to get this person to acknowledge and take down the work that they had, you know, passed off as their own that was actually Delianne's. And then it just was like way too far. It was like an entire course that had been ripped off. And I I don't either, and what I and you know, one of the many reasons I love Delianne Is. You could see how it pained her to talk about it because you know, she said it on her live and I couldn't agree more like, there is plenty of there is plenty of room for everybody. Yeah, like there's plenty of people to help. We all have our unique voices and there is room for everyone to succeed, I think. And and the fact that there's more women of color coming up in the personal finance. You know, the influencer space is not something to be threatened by, and it's not something to think that there's only so much work out there. And Delian's like, I I didn't want it to be this way, but there comes a certain point when you have to stand up for yourself and get those get those attorneys out there.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was, really, I was. That's what really paid me that it was like, oh, I was another woman of color you know, that did that to her and then blocked her and like, you know, and then I saw that because I'd gone to the woman's page and I was like, I didn't say anything, but I just was looking in my mind. And then now she's like, you know, she's she became private, that this woman's page, and I'm just like, since that's not you know, like that's not gonna say you like, yeah, like the receipts, Like for since she was on your web, there's no way that you can keep someone like an attorney. Kid, just watch the webinar and be like hmm, could take your course and be like, here it is. How are you going to know who's who? It could be anyone that they send in so if you continue to sell it. It just was because that's happened to me before. Literally word for word, someone copied me so bad. I mean, we're cool. Now someone copying me so bad they forgot to take my name out o girl. Literally, I remember when my sister told me this is one of my literature challenges. My sister said, I think this lady another sister and a sister who was my friend, like I had spoken at her conferences like we was cool, we was financial friends. And my sister was like, hey, Tiffany, I think this is your literature challenge. And I was like, girl, I did not invent financial challenges. She's like no, I'm pretty sure. I was like, how can you know for sure? She's like, your name is in it. I was like my name. So I went to take the challenge and it was like there was one line that said something something, and that's why they called me the budget nistas. They had forgotten. I was like, when I say copy paste, she wasn't the first part. She's the second woman that another black woman had stolen, like almost word for word, like she had done an investment version, but she had took my whole template. And I wrote her and I was like, and she basically was like, you didn't invent challenges. I said, I know, but I invented this one, and you have taken almost every word and just switched out investing investing. I'm like, that's cool. So she ended up taking it down. The other woman ended up taking it down, and then I saw her some years ago and she said, you know, she really apologized to me. Both of them did, and so she just was like, you know, Tiffany, I was in a really bad state at that point. I'd hired like a you know, a young intern. I told her to find some challenges online that we can use as a template, and I guess she copied and pasted and I was so embarrassed, which I can understand, and I know she said I was so embarrassed. I didn't want to, you know, I didn't want to face you. And I was just like, honestly, you know, I mean honestly, for here's this thing, I give extra space and grace assistance. So both of them, I said, that's fine, and when I see them, it's all good. You know, it's it was unfortunate, but it didn't, you know, it didn't, you know, didn't stop the train.
Speaker 2: There's at the top of your list. I imagine for people to refer business too, maybe they're towards the bot, but they're.
Speaker 1: Like because I use it. One of them in particular, we used to partner and I used it's had a lot of business her way. Then I was like, so about that. We won't be doing that anymore.
Speaker 2: It's not the pressure to get to you to where you are lying and passing off work as your own. I mean, that is a real like we just have to be real with ourselves. It can feel lonely out here, and it can feel like everyone's everyone has the best ideas, everything's already been done. How do I have something new and fresh? But sometimes it's okay to just sit down and take time to develop your own point of view and differentiate yourself like any other business out there.
Speaker 1: I hate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was really painful to watch Delianne be in pain talking about a woman of color. But she didn't do any more than she needed to to. Yeah, she didn't do anything else that she needed to do. I thought she handled it really gracefully. And I my heart goes out to even the other woman because you know, I imagine it can't feel good to be a fraud. It cannot feel good like it's hard to sleep, I imagine, and that there is no future in front.
Speaker 1: No, well that's the that's the name of the episode. There's your future in front. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well it's a very short one. We all know where it in.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, now it's time to switch on over, I think right, Yeah, maybe a word more sponsors. We have work, more sponsors.
Speaker 2: Let's hear from our sponsors. Tipping Yes today, Brand Ambition is sponsored by all Right, should we do a boost and break?
Speaker 1: Yes? We should. So I just got two little like boosts. One my husband went food chopping yesterday and he randomly bought a bag of pistachios. And we're not kidding.
Speaker 2: You've never had pistachios. No, here this is delicious.
Speaker 1: They're so good.
Speaker 2: Wait did you get the pre shelled ones or.
Speaker 1: I did not for it? No, no, I'm working for It's better when you work for it. They sure do. When I tell you, first of all, look I've got this is my full cup, and this is my I mean, I am living my best life. I said, who knew? I mean I always seen the pistatio commercials, you know, and I thought that were hil harrious. But yeah, I'm like, you know, I'm into pistatios now whatever. You know.
Speaker 2: Ice cream so good.
Speaker 1: I loved chocolate chip, but I've never had pistasio ice cream. I have to try that.
Speaker 2: I cannot. I mint chocolate chip. I just have a physical version, Like I don't really have toothpaste flavored chocolate.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I love the chocolate chip. And my second boost is Oh. I was like, okay, Tiffany, I want to get serious about taking care of myself. So I went on ahead and hired a personal trainer. Oh yeah, that comes to the house. I feel really fancy. And you know what here So this is like a bigger, broader financial kind of like lesson or word if you will. My sister is over and Juliana, she is my housekeeper. I don't even know because I mean, she's not here all the time. Anyway, she comes every two weeks and she cleans and she's amazing. She's from Brazil and she's awesome. We always have a chit chat, but she's she's amazing. So Juliana came to clean that she comes every other Friday. Then Nisha. Nisha is the cook I told you guys about that cooks for me, like every every other day. She brings like two meals from my family. Nisha is West Indian. Her food is banging, okay, banging. She's making lasagna tonight. I'm like, so, but I won't be eating much of it because like I'm trying to do better. But either way, Nisha came over that day, and then my new personal trainer, Nissa, who's also a sister, young sister. So Nissa came over and my sister Tracey was like, now this is what I call black luxury. She was like, yeah, God, Juliana helped you clean the house. Nissa's dropping off food for the family and you're getting exercised by Nissa, And I thought, you know what, I'm proud of Tiffany of Today, because y'all know, if you just listen to some old episodes, you know I was still buying pack panties until Mandy was like, you know, you could just go to Marshall's.
Speaker 2: Oh lord no, but I instantly thought of that time when you were trying to find someone to help you do your laundry. Yeah, and he felt guilty about doing like a laundry service, and I was like, let's just take your damn laundry ild, just drop it off.
Speaker 1: Because I guess, well, well, because it wasn't. I didn't actually grow up with money hang ups because my parents were really good about that. It wasn't until the recession happened, and when I lost everything, it made me so afraid to spend because during the like four years when I was really struggling, I used to literally think to myself, I would add up how many times I had sushi prior to losing everything. I would add up how many times I spent money on something, thinking I could show you sad two hundred dollars. Now I could show you step, you know. So then moving forward, I was like, well, let me not spend because I never know what's going to happen, but it got really toxic and I was oversaving. I was too afraid, and it took a long time for me to be like Tiffany. It's gonna take a lot for you to be broke. You can do things to take care of yourself. So I always have this thing in my head, what is the money for? You've taken care of your parents, You've paid off their house. You've paid off all your debt. You've paid off your house so you don't have even a mortgage. You paid off your student loans, you paid off your car. Tiffy, you and your husband are debt free, like toddlers. You make sure you look. You have a college fund for Supergirl, my stepdaughter. You have a college fun for my nieces and my nephew. You're good. You donate back to charity. You're good, like, what is the money for? You know, you're set aside for retirement. You're good like, I think you can get your laundry done, you know, so to have niece to come. And what I thought is that I'm gonna say price is because sometimes things are not as expensive as you think. My friend Cabro used to push me to say, have you even priced it because he's my fancy friend. He's like, let's go. As I told him, I was like, I want to range Rover one day. He's like, well, why don't we go test drive it today. I'm like, I don't have range over money. He's like, how would you know? Have you priced it? We went, we tested over a range Rover and I hated it. I didn't like the drive. He was like, see, you would have spent the next five years hoping, wishing, dreaming about a range Rover, not knowing that you didn't even like it, you know, and so so price is right. So Nisha is eighty dollars a meal, and a meal feeds about eight people, six to eight people, so it's like ten bucks of person. I'm like girl Juliana to clean the house, and she came every week. It'd be one thirty a week, but she comes every other week, so it's one fifty. You know, I always give everybody tips, but that's like the bear bones what they ask for. So one fifty to clean my house is three floors, I said, five bedrooms, three bathrooms. Yeah that's what she charged it. But I always give her, like a really good twenty five percent tip.
Speaker 2: I know, everybody's a little house, just the main floor. My good old neighbor Paulette comes over every other week.
Speaker 1: I love sick and then and then Nissa herself is for her to come every session is like if I were to come to her, I think the session would have been forty, but it's because she comes to me, the session is an extra ten bucks, so it's fifty. So I'm like, that's really fair, right, I was like these, I mean now, ten years ago, when I was broke, this would have been way too much money. But for me now, that's not an exorbitant amount of money. Fifty bucks for a training session, one fifty to get the house clean, you know, ten bucks a meal to have like a home cooked meal cooked for us at home, so much so that now I have her do my parents on the weekend. She cooks like two meals for them every Sunday, so they have like, you know, two meals for the week, so my mom doesn't have to cook as much. But I just say all that to say that, like my boost is you know, allowing myself and I'm giving you permission as well to spend the money. You know, like of course you want to be responsible, but you also want to live well now and I still struggle past that, but like, it feels good to know that I have put things in place to make my life more comfortable, that I've worked hard, and even if I had it didn't work hard. If I have the money to do so in a way that's responsible, why not? And so I'm just trying to learn that lesson for myself. So hopefully that'll be a little opener for someone who's listening, Like, Okay, I can do it. I can spend it ten to ten bucks.
Speaker 2: I mean, I feel like once you move on to fancy nuts like pistachios, you are well on your way because them nuts are not cheap.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know Superman bought those. He's fancy, well but lit, bougie.
Speaker 2: Well treat yourself. I think that's amazing. I'm glad that you've come a long way from pack panties.
Speaker 1: When you get your underwear.
Speaker 2: Now, Tiffany, what have we moved up to?
Speaker 1: What if we moved up to? I just left a hubband?
Speaker 2: Bye? Oh okay, I would never I want to be comfortable. Okay, I'm going to do a quick I have so many okay, but I'm going to do a quick one because I don't think I've shouted out this tool yet, but as a new solopreneur who's getting who has like seventeen different work personalities and income streams and stuff, I feel like I'm One of the first tools I invested in was a service called Calendly like calendar with the l Y at the end, and this has been the most I mean, I just can breathe a sigh of relief whenever I use calend Lee because they help you schedule appointments and you can literally send someone a link and they have access to your calendar. Now, my admin rocks. She knows that my calendar was a little jankie jink, and it wasn't it was my fault that I hadn't set it up right. But once we got that all squared away, Calendlee has been a dream and I'm able to schedule everything from like podcasts recordings or podcast meetings to you know, the free coaching sessions that I've been doing, and people can add to my calendar and I don't have to do the whole email back and forth with like here are the dates and times, and it's like nine twenty nine between one and two and two and three and three and you know all that is gone. So and I think calend Lee was a couple hundred bucks for the year, and I think that was a couple hundred bucks well spent. So if you are out there struggling and you aren't using a calendar system like Calendar, there's also schedule Once. I think that was also one that I looked at, but I highly highly recommend it. It really has taken a lot of stress off my shoulders in terms of like keeping my calendars. Great.
Speaker 1: Yes, honestly I love those tools by them yet, right, so what are the tools you use? I use? I use calendarly, we do sometimes, but we also use Slack, you know, for like interols. Right, so that's a tool. What's another tool that you're like, Oh my gosh, I love it.
Speaker 2: Canva Yeah, oh yes, Canvra and we are sponsored by Canva. But yeah, I love Camera Canva Pro. I mean, get it. It's worth every penny. It is worth every penny.
Speaker 1: You see camera. You got a freebee with us because we wasn't even and also too, I love you know, I love help Scout. I don't know if you've ever heard of it, but help Scout. So we started to use help scout to do customer support for the Literature Academy. So it's really a customer support tool, which is which is an amazing customer support tool because you can have like automatic responses. You can have like you know, people can write when they write certain emails like I'm locked out, you know, you can just click a button and it answers like you know, responses that you've already created. But I love the help scout so much. I actually use help scout for like my admin and I use help scout because it helps us to organize our emails in such a way. M h it so you can like, literally we have help Scout really helps is if you have like different teams. So we've got like our customer support team, We've got our finance team, our our organization team, and then me and so we're all so think about it, like we're all at the post office and there's this different mailboxes. So something can land in my mailbox and I could just click move and it'll move it to the mailbox's supposed to be. And just because sometimes people will say, Hey, Tiffany, I'm locked out of the Literature Academy, and before it I have to be like, oh, I have to ce see the customer support team. No no, no, Now I can literally just move you on over to the Yeah. So it's really great. And then let's just say someone like sometimes people will DM me on ig and say, hey, Tiffany up with the academy, but I forgot my password. So what I can do is if they give me their name and email. You know, sometimes I can just I can type into the search bar and it'll search all for email boxes and I'm like, oh girl, it's right here, So help Scout to me. It might not make sense if you just have just you yourself, but if you've got multiple teams, honestly, especially if you like need customer support, oh my gosh. Help Scout is is Bay.
Speaker 2: You can reach us at Brownabission Podcast at gmail dot com. If you would like to pay for advertisements the freebeet it's a little taste, let him know if you go to help Scout that you heard from Brown Ambish.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: I love it, and that reminds me. We are putting together like a little list of BA faves for the for our new when we get our brand new website.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have ba phaves because it's there's just so many things that we use that, you know, like just evening like Riverside. You know where we put our where we do our podcast.
Speaker 2: On Riversides in the penalty box as far as I'm concerned. But let's not go there.
Speaker 1: Okay, never mind.
Speaker 2: I wanted to do that big live event and they were just so it was just a little complex, Okay, a little complex.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I like, honestly, I'm not gonna lie. I like stream Yard. If we're trying to do stuff like that. Streamyard is the jam because Streamyard, you can if I go live on stream Yard, I can go live on Twitter, I can go live on Facebook, I can go live on YouTube and then also Streamyard the stream Yard platform all at the same time simultaneously. And it looks really clean. And I can literally have like things pop up, like and the link, the link can pop up. You could do like a scrolling link. You could put people in the green room and have them come up. It's yeah, stream Yard is pretty amazing.
Speaker 2: I feel like you need to do like an annual as a business owner, an annual tools check or be using the latest and the greatest what if you're struggling. Yes, absolutely, I love what I hang around for our or wait out, wait wait a little bit for our ba fhaves list. But definitely I think that there are some amazing tools out there. And Calendly is bay. Yeah, I will just leave it there.
Speaker 1: It's been an amazing show. As per us, we got it together. Thanks for dragging me out of my cave, no problem. Don't forget y'all. You know we always always have our BA QA. That's what comes up, you know, a couple of days after this episode comes out. So if you have a QA for the BA certainly ask us questions. We are a Brown and Vision podcast on Instagram. You can slide into our d MS. You can go to brannibisionpodcast dot com and click ask anything or email us at just the always want I forget email Bannibision Podcasts at gmail dot com. I don't know why, like what you know what it is? It is because the Twitter one throws me off, but like, yes, Brown and Bison podcast.
Speaker 2: Do I know if you guys know who owns the brown Ambition handle on Twitter? Just like, come on help us out.
Speaker 1: We've been trying to ask because that would just make my life easier. So I get to say the same thing over and over. But yeah, we love your your If you have a question about finance, question about careers, question about answer jacent things like buying a house, investing or whatever. In business, I love entrepreneurship talk, you know, slide on into DMS because we will take care of you on our second episode. And if you liked this episode, and you know you did, I want you to drop the link in the group chat. Okay, get your key key on, you know, text it to your bestie, to your mom, to your your work best friend, your work husband, you know, because I see how we are climbing the charts. Yes, yeah, we're top one hundred in business on iTunes.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, nice checked that once in a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just checked. I was looking up something else. I was looking, you know, that if someone had posted their their status like on inside. I was like, wait, I know that hair. It's Mandy's so like you were cut off because they were posting beers and I was like, wait, we're number of whatever we were and I was like oh wow. Then it made me go, look.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, dope talk one hundred not shabby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we're even, like, you know, close to like top fifty. So we're doing awesome, all right.
Speaker 2: Y'all gys on Friday for b a Q and a bye. Mm hmm