Speaker 1: And That's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 3: Welcome to you, and That's what you really miss podcast. I'm Jenna, I'm Kevin, the one with the bad immunees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm coming to you live with strap throat.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, Well, at least we're able to do this mobile.
Speaker 2: We should take it. We should start cataloging the illnesses I have during this because if people don't know, fun fact, my immune system is non existent.
Speaker 1: Crap.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, and if you talk to anybody that we worked with on Glee, they can also tell you that because I was.
Speaker 3: Sick all the time, all the time while we were also being worked to the bone.
Speaker 1: So it didn't help that we were on like very little sleep and.
Speaker 3: Very although do you remember that we used to get every once in a while, and maybe this is I'm making this up on the show, we would get a doctor to calm and give us some be twelve shots in the butt while we were having some real rough times.
Speaker 2: I believe there was more tour we did that.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, well and then we did it during waitress as well, so maybe that's why my brain.
Speaker 1: But yes, we did love that.
Speaker 2: Do you remember like so singers and performers, we need to perform live and sing. Sometimes your voice is gone because you're sick or whatever, and so in America it's very easy to call up a doctor and get like a steroid shot in your butt. Yeah, and it reduces the inflammation and you can sing and you're fine, go about your business. Do you remember when we were in Manchester, England on tour and so many of us were sick because it was I think our first like two consecutive days off had finally caught up with us. We were ill, and then we had the hardest time because you know, they don't just give out medicine like like Americans zo right, And we had to like scrounge to find a doctor who would come. We had to describe what we needed. And finally, right before the show, we were in a line and just like getting poked with a shot in the ass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. I had something similar on tour.
Speaker 3: I think it was the second one when we were here doing staples because I was living in my we weren't living together anymore, sad and I lost my voice and I called our doctor and he came and had to give me a story shot, I had no voice at all. I didn't think I was gonna be able to get through the tour at all, or we would have to use some pre record or something like that formed to and I.
Speaker 1: Was like, I'm not doing that. In La You're crazy.
Speaker 3: At Staple Center, all of our like everybody was there, like we're singing live, And within twenty minutes of that shot, my voice was completely bad for the rest of the night.
Speaker 1: It's pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: We were not vocally prepared to go on tour. My voice was gone too fair.
Speaker 3: Look, I think we would have been vocally prepared if we weren't out partying as well and like living it up.
Speaker 2: I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm not talking about like until five and I was talking to like we want to like drinks out you know after Yeah, yeah, No, we weren't okay. This episode is the beginning of our run with Brad Beaker, who was a editor on the show up until this point and then got his first episode and this was his directorial debut on Glee and it was very exciting. Brad Baker would go on to direct many, many many episodes. We should have him on the show. And he continued to work with Ryan forever.
Speaker 2: He ended up getting some of the more difficult logistical episodes that we've mentioned before.
Speaker 1: Because they knows how to do yes.
Speaker 2: And you watch his episodes and there's no fluff, like he only shot what you needed, and so it was the days were usually pretty short or on time with him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, unless it was one of the like regional's resectionals or whatever.
Speaker 1: But he did that a lot too.
Speaker 3: So this is season two, episode six, Never Been Kissed, and the the original airdate was November ninth, twenty ten, so we are almost in Thanksgiving time.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: This is a gigantic episode for several reasons. Okay, but before we get into that, right, let's tease it with the state of the world. So the number one song was we Are Who We Are by Key Dollar sign h Kesha. Number one movie was Due Date with Robert Dwren Junior and Zach Gothnakis. But more importantly, the best news this week is that Glee the Music the Christmas Album was released on this same day the episode aired. It was the fourth soundtrack by the Glee cast, and it went platinum. Baby the Albums Christmas Album at number one of the Billboard Soundtracks chart, compeaked at number three on the Billboard two hundred.
Speaker 1: What.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was I believe our most successful album ever because Christmas music is going to do it to you. And I gotta say, Cam Davis and everyone just like smashed.
Speaker 3: It, right, also like h for sure, and then also like you still hear Glee Christmas music everywhere every season, Like do you also remember that this year this was the TV Guide We made the twenty ten hot list on tv Guide and we shot Glee covers, we sure did, and you, me and Harry were on a gleek went on the tv Guide cover.
Speaker 2: You know, thinking back about those things, like you see that getting on a tv Guide cover, getting any cover is a really big deal. It is hard, it is rare. But when we're shooting so many hours, this all the planning for that happens and we have no idea that it's happening. And then we get like ushered into We're told at some point like, oh, there's gonna be a photo shoot for tv Guide, right, and then we get ushered into one of the sound stages connected to our main sound stages, and there's a little setup and we have about fifteen minutes.
Speaker 3: And they did multiple covers, so there was like Finn and Rachel, there was our our Love Triangle, There's a Quinn and Puck and all of these ones. But yes, it usually like a cover shoot takes a whole weekend and there's a lot, a lot that isn't integrated into the preparation and the shoot itself.
Speaker 1: But we literally were like, it's like a blink of an eye.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and next thing you know, like, oh, we're on the cover of TV gunt. You don't even real it's in the middle of your workdays. You don't even realize what's happening.
Speaker 3: It is one of my favorite covers though, my favorite photos that I have. Yeah, they're really good.
Speaker 2: I love it and I love that I got to share it with the two of you. That was special. It was party. They had a TV Guide party that we went to.
Speaker 3: Vaguely it was at the Sols Hotel. It was at the W Oh the w that's right. It was on the roof, right, yes, yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what what it was? It was messy, was it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: There was somebody else that I'm friends with on another show. Oh and she had a little too much, you know. It happens and we were all trying to avoid her, and Amber was like, you guys are terrible people. I'm walking her to her car and I was like, you're an excellent, excellent person, Amber, your.
Speaker 1: Parents are really branding. And I was like, I want no party.
Speaker 2: No, it was really embarrassing. I'm like, we're at literally a TV Guide party.
Speaker 1: This is where a house party.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, I don't know what to do. But I met Brandy. Do you remember we met Brandy?
Speaker 1: Amber was you wouldn't remember.
Speaker 2: Oh my, I embarrassed myself so hard, but we met Brandy. I even think I got her number somehow, and she's like, I want to come to stop And I think I tried to arrange for her to come to set some point, but it never obviously happened.
Speaker 1: But I, oh.
Speaker 2: Was I star strike, Like I also needed to be walked out to my car because it.
Speaker 3: Started out I probably scored it. You out okay, okay, okay. So this is a big episode because this is the beginning of Brad Peeker. As I said, it is also the debut of Darren Chris, which we will get into. We would meet Blatane for the first time. We also have.
Speaker 2: Some pretty heavy Max Adler.
Speaker 1: Got a lot more.
Speaker 3: Yes, we've got a lot more for Coach Beast as well, and at Ray Jones, who this is her first stuff with like all the all of the Glee Club, Dot actually received an Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series nod for her work on the second season, and they submitted this episode.
Speaker 2: Because Dot was excellent in this episode.
Speaker 1: She's an angel like I also love.
Speaker 2: So this is the return of Puck after got punished irl releasing an album. He's now back and has a gigantic storyline.
Speaker 1: So I would say that let's start.
Speaker 3: This is where we've set the precedent that usually if a cast member gets in trouble, leaves, acts out, does something, they usually come back and they get a huge difference.
Speaker 2: I will say when we allude to people getting away with things, and we're not here to be gossipy, however, but when we allude to if people act up or get away with things, they don't get punished, this is sort of what we're referring to where a lot of times, like Jenna and I would feel like, do we need to start acting crazy crazy? And then we get a storyline out of it because it seemed like the squeaky wheel sort of.
Speaker 1: Thing got yeah, the gold yeah, and so.
Speaker 2: But you know, we weren't really anyway. So you know, Puck gets a big storyline, and I'm involved in storylines, So no complaints.
Speaker 3: I think it's funny that you also said like, I don't really remember this episode. I didn't either, to be fair, but you were all over this no recollection.
Speaker 1: Did you remember as it started? You were like, oh, this is that episode.
Speaker 2: Yes. What I remember about it is two scenes.
Speaker 1: One love, one Love and the.
Speaker 2: Scene in the hallway where already convinces Puck to let Lady sort of rehabilitate Puck to him and we do that really inappropriate hand finger thing.
Speaker 3: And David literally gave me his hands last night and I was like, I'm not doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, obviously that was Mark's idea, and we were like it got kept. Yeah, We're like, should we do this? And no one knew what it meant. You know, the adults on set didn't know what it meant. So it's our handshake.
Speaker 3: Stop stop, I know, you know, teenagers. Yeah, teenagers. Okay, sorry I interrupted you before. Was there something else I want to say?
Speaker 2: No, there was those two scenes. That's all I remember. But I think what I also remember leading up to this episode is we had heard that there was going to be a new We heard about the Warblers, right. I remember us being in the ten Sad and Dance rehearsal and remember knowing that there was another singing group coming on, but it was all sort of like hush hush, like we were busy to filming the episode before, we didn't really know what was happening. They were casting, and then Zach I think it was Zach came in and said, this song you're doing is really good, and we all crowded around and he played it for us, and we were all sort of envious because it was such a great, great cover reminiscent of you know, the original don't Stuff Believing with those backgrounds yep. And I just remember like, oh, this is going to be huge, Like this is so so good, And we were just really excited to like see what the Warblers were going to be because we did not know at all that they were going to be around permanently, yeah, or anything like that. So it was an exciting, exciting time when we all got to meet Darren, and it was also fun to get to see Max Adler get to act.
Speaker 3: Do you remember when when Darren came on set he was wearing pink sunglasses. He always wore those pink sunglasses, and he showed up in a Michigan T shirt. I was dating somebody at the time who had also gone to Michigan or from that's right, and knew Darren, and so I went up to Darren was like, we have mutual friends. He was also kind of in the musical theater scene. I mean he definitely was not kind of he was in the musical theater theater scene as well. So like the names were being thrown, I was like, I know of this kid, and he had done so much before already that like in his own you know, original.
Speaker 1: Making way that he does and.
Speaker 2: The Harry Potter of it all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And so I remember like him coming on to set and being like, oh, I kind of know you, but I didn't know he was going to be Kurt's boyfriend yet.
Speaker 2: I I didn't know him at all. I he just like came on and felt like he had always sort of been there, Yes, that's right, but it felt different. I was like, oh, this is like the start of like Kurt getting a boyfriend is going to be a really big deal totally, and so it was. It was so interesting that I have somebody knew come on and take on that responsibility because we had been living in that world and seeing how Chris gets approached publicly by fan and how much Kurt means to people, and then to have somebody come on, like, I hope you're prepared for this, because it's going to ye totally.
Speaker 1: If there's anybody that was prepared for it, it was Darren say that he.
Speaker 2: Can just handle it like he's it all just rolls off the.
Speaker 3: Back, literally, nothing fazes him.
Speaker 1: Tell me about the songs in this episode.
Speaker 2: We have one Love by Bob Marley, Teenage Dream by Katy Perry, Start Me Up, Living on a Prayer by Rolling Zones, and bon Jovie. I mean, the girls smashed it like it's so good and you sound great on it, and I have issues with it, and I'll point them out when we get there. Stop with the Name of Love, Saush for your Mind, Mashup Supremes.
Speaker 1: And Vogue, So good, so good it was.
Speaker 3: It's a weird one, but yeah, I love we loved that one. Shooting you guys shooting that one We loved.
Speaker 2: You loved Chord. Chord was still new, and I remember Cord stepping out for his solo and all of you literally gasped and giggled and started like what you're doing right now? Your hands on your face. There was no acting. Everyone was so enamored with Cord, like he's our little baby brother.
Speaker 3: Yes, like a little puffy, so charming and so cute, and.
Speaker 2: You guys melted and it was crazy.
Speaker 1: We were surprised, though.
Speaker 3: I think he came out of nowhere and he like, he just fit in with you guys, like you guys all hold this like very high standard of like being yourselves and these things like Corey looks like a fool dancing, but he's so committed and it's so cute, and everybody looked that way, and Cord just like fit right in with that, and I was like, wow, he really feels comfortable here and that that's awesome. But yes, we were totally smith.
Speaker 2: I also feel like the girls didn't have as nearly as much time with cord A at this point as all the boys did. There was a lot of boy centric scenes with him, and so this was sort of like we know we had done numbers with him without you guys, so right.
Speaker 1: And then you rehearsed all this stuff with him, and so you had a lot more time with this. But he's so the sweetest. The whole number was just so cute. You guys all looked really great. All right.
Speaker 3: So the episode summary of this this episode is a big part of it was that Kurt makes a new friend.
Speaker 1: In a new glee club and a new school while he continues to deal with Karowski bullying him at McKinley. Finn and Sam come up with this idea to use Coach Beast for a way to cool down.
Speaker 3: And it it Beast finds out, gets her to quit, and Tine is also involved in.
Speaker 1: That, and then Puck and Alaradie strike up in unlikely friendship. Where do you want to begin?
Speaker 2: I mean, okay, let's talk about I mean the story this episode is really crazy because I think when people think about this episode generally, all that you really remember is the Warblers, right, Darren getting introduced, Kasi bullying Kurt and kissing him, and like that's sort of the main thing because that has ramifications throughout the rest of the series. But somehow this show The Bumper is Finn and Sam talking about how they found these two girls who won't sleep with them, basically, and Finn's like, well, what I do to stop myself from going all the way? And we have a great callback to at the very beginning of the show have the mamman on the windshield, and so Finn basically is like, look, you need to find your own thing. And so in that moment, Coach Beast is yelling at Artie and she's picking a wedgie and Sam was like, great, I found my thing. This very quickly spirals out of control because then Sam goes to mentally use Beast in this way when he is hooking up with Quinn shortly after, but he says out loud Beast and she gets. Quinn's not happy about it. But then the boys tell the other boys aka Mike Chang, who then tells his girlfriend Tina, and so Tina's like, oh, let's see, let's see if like this is actually true. Let's put it to the test. But it's not Mike who's the one that needs it. Tina, Tina a la Sam a couple of scenes earlier, closes her eyes and thinks of Beast it's like saying, it's like, close your eyes and think of England. The whole time I was like, close your eyes and think of Beast, and all of these incredible shots of Dot Marie Jones doing different thing with a ballet are smarting the meat.
Speaker 1: It is so good.
Speaker 3: It's so good. She does such it's so it's very like Niptucky. You know, it looks very niptucky to me. Yeah, I just Dot Dot the amazing actress and hilarious angel.
Speaker 2: I have to say, I think this is some of your finest work. You are hilarious. You and Harry are hilarious. And this this little nuggle that's like sprinkled in this episode and you guys eat it up and I love that it's you. And like in that scene at the end, you know when well before we get there. So what happens is Quinn is obviously upset about it, goes to Sue and is like, I don't know what to do because clearly Sam is hooking up with Coach Beast, and Sue is like, well, I'm looking away to get her fired, so you need to publicly confront him and make it loud, and she does, and Coach Beast hears it and gets yell at all, so by Mike Chang to stay away from his girlfriend, and so Will finds out right and Will confronts the glee club and says the boys and and girl in your face, Like it's such an insane storyline, but I love it because it's so high school.
Speaker 1: It is very high school.
Speaker 2: It's very inappropriate, and leave.
Speaker 3: It, chick, Tina to have like the weird to be the.
Speaker 2: Also your costume, like your costumes.
Speaker 3: This episode these This was the moment, Kevin, This was the moment. This is the turning point. Well maybe not, we're getting there. Actually that's a lie. But this was on the way to that moment where I thought I can't do this anymore. But yes, my costumes were getting more extreme.
Speaker 2: Yeah they looked really cool though. Yeah yeah they With Kurt when he first gets pushed in your.
Speaker 1: On his outfit, I mean, are you joking?
Speaker 2: No, Train, but your outfit was just as good, like you both were like fashion, fashion.
Speaker 3: Fashion, fair, fair, fair, fair fair. Yeah, this was lou like giving her her moment to these.
Speaker 2: Guys really getting to play.
Speaker 3: I feel like Tina and Kurt, you can't do that on which is like, yeah, so Will finds out, and so Beast confronts Will.
Speaker 1: About it because she trusts him and she's the only person who she can trust in this school.
Speaker 2: And I Will so much together, you know, like they have like a really sweet friendship.
Speaker 1: They do.
Speaker 3: They do they and it's nice that they have each other. They're like kind of the underdogs outsiders, like like he says in the show.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like when she first entered the scene, Sue tried to get Will to use her as a common enemy, like they're like enemy of my enemy is my friend. But really, I mean their collective enemy is Sue Sue. So yeah, they have that bomb strengthen numbers.
Speaker 1: That's right, crazy Sue, which we'll talk about her competti se Well. Will decides to give a chur straight I mean, not comfortably or willingly, but he feels like it's probably the right thing to do based on their trust.
Speaker 3: And she she takes it very personally as one would.
Speaker 1: And and it leads her to quit the quit her position as coach Beast. Then we get to the scene where he is a summoned by a note from Becky to go to the auditorium to meet Sue. Sue is celebrating. She says, do you notice the cannons, I've gotten my budget back. We guys, coach Beast quit because of your glee club. Your glee club did this, these mean children. And then the confetti cans explained.
Speaker 2: She has a great line too, about you know, songs about being ugly or whatever it is that you guys do in there.
Speaker 1: It's just so good, and.
Speaker 3: The confetti cans explode, and Sue's laugh is just even when you hate Sue so much, then the scenes are so freaking funny.
Speaker 2: I remember them shooting that scene or talking about shooting that scene, how they were going to do it with the cleanup, like you need to get it once one.
Speaker 1: It's like a slushy.
Speaker 3: I really try to go for it once because that was a lot of confetti.
Speaker 2: Oh, and that confetti gets everywhere.
Speaker 3: We would notice Will's each shot, his confetti's like a little bit different because like confetti's like like glitter, you can't like always quite get it right, but it's everywhere. So Will tells the glee club that Beast quit and the glee club is surprised, not sure why. I guess we're kids, so we're surprised. But he everybody is very upset, and so Finn and Sam go apologize, and Will goes to actually find Beasts and tries to talk to her as well and says, the kids really love you and they are really sorry, and.
Speaker 1: And then this scene. Yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 3: I remember reading it in the script and thinking like, do we have to but I do. Look, it feels like it was threading the needle to Kurt and having never been kissed and Beast never been kissed, and it was like that was the point, see to get to. All the rest was kind of getting there, which was actually better than this point. See that happened. But okay, yeah, he's so uncomfortable. I know, it's just strange. This is not necessary, like.
Speaker 2: She want you to be her first kiss, like sir, that's pretty presumptuous.
Speaker 1: But Will was doing he was opening the door for her to then actually just of men. I don't know, it's so weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just very the whole scene. I was like, no, no, don't do it, because I couldn't really remember, but I felt like he was going to do it, because of course he would.
Speaker 3: And then he did it, and I was like I was dreading it I was dreading it, but but it was an important scene with or without the kiss.
Speaker 1: Yes, for Dot and Beast to.
Speaker 3: Be vulnerable reveal these things, it really makes you love her even more and see the softer side of her and kind of understand her because on the on the outside you she is not your typical female coach and so like just to see her as like open up.
Speaker 1: And to understand her more was really great for the show.
Speaker 2: I also thought it was interesting because in an episode that you have two introduction of two more gay characters, you then have her state I'm not gay, right. It was like they probably they got to clear it up for people. It's like, not every character in the show now is going to be gay. We do have some straight characters.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, definitely, even though Dot is gay right exactly in real.
Speaker 2: But Darren and Max aren't. So you had to balance it out. You know, we were all playing different characters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're actors. Actors.
Speaker 2: So to get Beasts to not quit, the boys perform their mashup and apologize for Beasts in the choir room to try to get her to smile because she's such a good smile and we do our mash up. You know where the girls lost their mind for one quart over Street understandable.
Speaker 1: So wonderful, What a wonderful number.
Speaker 3: I loved the number. I loved the mashup, I loved the performance. I loved the costumes. I thought it was so cute and so charming. It's just wonderful. I love boyf versus girls.
Speaker 2: I do too. It was it was a really weird it was. I remember recording it and they had all these like really intense back up. I mean, my ad libs don't like Michael Jackson like aggressive, and I was.
Speaker 1: Like, you were on that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And I remember, like Corey, Corey assumed that every ad lib was just mine. When we were filming. I was like, Corey, that's your voice. Was like, yeah, Corey, that's that's you. He's like I did that. I was like, what you must have. And I remember bringing him over to the sound and you can solo out all the things. I'm like, can you solo these? Because I'm pretty sure that's Corey and that's not me, and yeah, and that's I.
Speaker 3: Remember that they pulled the wall out for this one when they were shooting it, and I remember it being very efficient the way that Brad Beeker shot this.
Speaker 1: And that was with.
Speaker 3: Us, and you guys were just really cute, really really cute.
Speaker 2: Well, I can't wait to talk about yours. Let's get into that.
Speaker 1: Yeaheah, let's talk about that.
Speaker 3: So along with this whole never Been Kissed storyline with Beast Shoe has the competition list for Sectionals and that's how the Warbars are introduced. And then we get into Dalton. But the assignment for the week is boys versus Girls, and the tournament is announced and the girls come up. Well, then it gets kind of switched up, right. Everybody's kind of bored with that whole idea. So mister Sue decides that the girls have to do something that the boys would normally do, and the boys have to do something that the girls would normally do. Yeah, and so it just adds another level, another, an extra challenge, an added challenge to the tournament.
Speaker 2: On attempt to really like appease Kirk because he's just getting abused left, right and centered by Karowski and so he wants to be with the girls. Will's really adamant no and has this like really good one on one with him, and through that then decides to give the girls and boys an extra challenge like you said, right, but when you guys do your number, I was so excited to watch this because yeah, because even though you guys weren't on Vitamin D.
Speaker 1: We looked like it energy you know, yes, yes.
Speaker 2: You didn't forget that, and everyone is singing in it. So here's my problem with this number. Tell me every time you sing, the camera's never on you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it happens a lot, and I.
Speaker 2: Was really pissed because you sound really good and you don't get to sing like rock music that often.
Speaker 1: Thanks, it happens a lot.
Speaker 2: But I will say I think there was. I think it was an editing thing because it happened several times where the camera was not on the person singing.
Speaker 1: Yes fair. I think Badger had to get used to that also perhaps, but also additionally, mine were riffs, right, A lot of my stuff was riffs, or maybe just of the.
Speaker 3: It was like leads on the choruses, like we were featured voices, and that's so much like every two that's right, that's right, it would.
Speaker 1: Be me and then Leah, I mean and Leah, and I was like, oh, I forgot I sang on this. I was like is that my voice? Again? Kind of like Corey, You're like, did I do that?
Speaker 3: But but yes, fair enough that I was like a lot of the time, you wouldn't know that I sang out a lot of these.
Speaker 2: Well, also happens soon we forget because if we only have four or five a song, we go record that in about fifteen minutes, and then we go about a day and forget. Yeah, we completely forget.
Speaker 3: Yes, So more importantly in this, in this kind of storyline with the tournament, was is Kurt being bullied to no end by Krofsky? Really unhappy? It's just not manageable or sustainable violence.
Speaker 2: It's really how he's getting.
Speaker 3: I'm surprised that, Like mister, She's like, is there anything I can do?
Speaker 1: You're like, yeah, get him out of here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: And so Kurt goes to visit Dalton and he has a whole new experience and he needs Blaine, who is also gay and out in his school. And not everybody's gay Dalton, but there are more game and that are out and you know, probably there than McKinley, and as.
Speaker 2: Blaine says, they're rock stars. So everything that Kurt wants is represented. The Warblers in a Blaine, it is something that he didn't even know existed, and you get to see him finally meeting another out gay person his age and like the weight that he's been carrying every day at his school and also at his own school when we were all teamed up for the boys, the boys aren't particularly nice or supportive of him at all, and so he's completely abandoned.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was now watching this also as a viewer teenage dream which became like a don't Stop where it was like almost played too much. We heard it too much after a while, right, it was like definitely running to the ground, like don't stop. I watched you Garan't do that and I was like, oh my god, what a stunner, Like don't very charmed by him. I as Blaine, Like, I was like, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: I got to having some distance from it. I could understand it better now, I think when it was happening, because the number when we started, like don't Stop Believing was a very simple number, right, but it was so charming and worked really well. But by the point that we got to this episode, we had done Rocky Horror and Madonna and Brittany and our numbers were out of control and they were great and big and expensive. And then to have Teenage Dream come along that was sort of like a reset where it's very simple, there's not a lot of choreography, and it's one hundred charm And I think at the time I was confused as to why it was so popular, Like I knew the cover was good, was like.
Speaker 1: This performance is fine, right.
Speaker 2: But watching it now, like also I would have died if I was a viewer. I tried to consume as much gay media as possible, there was not a lot of it, and watching them run through the halls in slow motion holding hands, I know I would have been obsessed with this.
Speaker 3: I was, really I was really obsessed with it. When I watched it last night, I was like, this could have seemed so cheesy or corny in some viewers, like in in one point in time, but like I get it.
Speaker 2: Now, but also like that's great. Let it be cheesy, like this was on Fox at eight PM. And to have even if two thousand and nine or corny romantic gay storyline of high schoolers, I love that. Like whether it's good or bad or everything in between, right, like letting the whole group of people have that shown on the show that was watched by families was really special.
Speaker 1: I also will say like the blame storyline in this episode had so much substance to it with Kurt, or rather the Kurt storyline in this episode with meeting him was like, I don't know, I just I really appreciative of it. And having Kurt have somebody else in his corner other than his dad and like the semi the glee club, but not really like another gay man like in his corner, Yeah, encouraging him and supporting him, Like I can't imagine what that would have been like for somebody who was either closeted or the only gay person out in their school or feeling like hurt in any way, shape or form, to have like a Blaine or a hero in their life, like I you know, you imagine people. Yeah, Yeah, it was really I just thought it was like really well done and important to have.
Speaker 2: And it was nice to see them. They're pretty opposite in their characters as well. Yeah, And so Krosky's abusing Kurt continuously this episode, and then when Blaine comes around, Blaine's like, you know, you just got to stand up to him, courage, and so after getting shoved for the eight billionth time, Kurt follows Krossky into the boy's locker room and calls him out and is like, what the hell is your problem? In this really powerful, serious scene, right, and it's really going at it and just like punch me. You're not going to punch the gay out of me?
Speaker 1: Like ooh wow, yeah, some writing, yeah.
Speaker 2: And then Kroofski grabs Kurt's face and kisses him, and Kurt is.
Speaker 1: Stunned, as I think all the viewers probably.
Speaker 2: Yes, and we find out one that that was Kurt's first kiss.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But he also immediately goes to tell Blaine about this whole experience, and Blaine shows up at McKinley to confront Kroski with him, right, And it's very like sort of Darren in this where it's like low key about it. Yeah, like I completely see through you, Like it's not that big of a deal, Like this is who you are. There's a lot of us, You're not alone, and that you're acting out because you don't know what to do with it, all right, and Karowski is stunned, silent, and you have this really beautiful scene that sets up their relationship and that stairwell where they are so different, and Kurt's sitting there in the midst he's never been kissed before, and Blaine is just like, a right, let's get a lunch. He doesn't play into it at all, but is there for him. He doesn't have to say all the other things because he's been through it before and we haven't seen that yet, which it's nice to be able to see that, but it also you know, it's now shown Kurt another world and going back to McKinley to the same old is going to be difficult.
Speaker 1: Yeah, stay two, stay tune.
Speaker 3: Okay, So before we get in, before we end this episode, my god, there's a huge storyline we haven't all right. So Puck comes back from his his time off on the show, and Ju went to Jubi and he comes out and he's got this whole facade on that like, you know whatever, they're scared of me. But we've come to find out that he hates that place and is never going back. So he makes already his community service so he doesn't have to go back, and says that there's a crip or.
Speaker 1: Something, which I was like, okay, now, let's not But.
Speaker 2: Later the probation officers that that Puck said he was hanging with the crip, but he meant cripple and.
Speaker 1: A gang member, like a reformed gang. Yeah. Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: He takes he takes already on and and he's going to help you. I don't know he's going to treat you like can unity service, which is an issue, but okay, I.
Speaker 2: Mean it seems grateful because I already needs some social help and Puck seems to be able to do anything he wants. Right. Yes, I don't know how this busking scene happened.
Speaker 3: Okay, first, I don't know where the idea came from. But I was like, okay, now we're in the courtyard of Bernstein and they're doing a number. Now, remind me about this day, Kevin, because I do remember that it was raining, and I think I saw you after this scene was shot and you.
Speaker 1: Were like, it was raining all day. Yeah, and we did it anyway.
Speaker 3: Now, normally on the show, if it's raining outside, we will cancel the day, or we will change a scene and do something in interior and do it another day.
Speaker 1: Tell me about this day.
Speaker 2: No, we were not canceling. And also you know it was one of the seven days that it rains of the year, and I think one of those days you have a huge location, you have all of these background actors. And also that day was if you notice by the weather the curtain Blaine scene in the stairwell with Korowski because it's everything is all wet still, and so I think it was just a light drizzle. So we shot when we could really quickly. It's a really simple number. And also Brad Beeker is pretty expeditious and like, there's rain on my glasses and a lot of oh yeah, which is like not a great look when you have thin hair, and we just did it. I mean, I love this song. I love this version of the song. Watching it in the episode of Lotokle confused as to why it was happening, and Artie can just look at a bunch of ones and no, it's three hundred dollars. But you know, I either here nor there. But my favorite part of this whole storyline is already admits the Puck that he was dating Brittany and he wants to get her back, and he's like, great, we'll go on double date with Santana and Brittany and myself and you and you just had to follow my lead, do the opposite of your instincts. And so there's that scene where we go in and we're really terrible to Brittany and Santana, but Heather and Nyo were so funny, so funny.
Speaker 1: And so funny.
Speaker 2: They ate it up and we could to do this really fun scene at Breadsticks, which I never got to spend that much time in. So I was very excited.
Speaker 1: Where are you now?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I didn't know. I didn't know the Nightmare of bread Sticks. Okay, this is my introduction to the Nightmare of bread Sticks. And we got do the scene and it was insane and also already doesn't have a lot of redeeming moments, but him paying the bill not running out, I was thankful for. And then basically it all comes crumbling down because Puck is pitching to the girls into already that he was this macho man and nobody messed with him in Juvie and it was so easy he could go back anytime. But then he gets called out by the probation officer and is given an ultimatum of twenty four hours to actually find community service or you're going back to Juvie and then AARTI confronts him and says you you're acting insane, basically that you just have to go do like community service. That's fine and already then you know, pitches, I'll help you in geometry, past geometry, whatever it is. You go to the community service and then no harm, no foul if this doesn't work out, and that seems that they have a little inappropriate handshake, and that's basically it. I thought it was like the sweet little insight into puck a moment into already desperately trying to be something else but actually getting the upper and being able to help somebody else. But yeah, it was fun. I had a really fun time doing it, and it felt light and fun, and Mark was fun to work with.
Speaker 3: It's a very unlikely pairing that I really liked a lot, and you guys were very good together and Mark's Your performance was great always, but Mark's performance was also very good. Yeah, not that I'm surprised that his performance was very good, but like, you don't see a lot of pug and to give a bad boy some layers like that, yeah, it's actually kind of difficult to do. And he's still so it was very likable and I just relatable and very very cute. It was very very cute pairing.
Speaker 2: I think it was also Mark in real life was the bad boy like comparatively to the rest of our group. Sure, and so I think he was putting in the work. He wasn't necessarily like a big actor before this or acting a bunch before this, and so right, you know, I think we never knew what we were going to get, and he was always rising to the challenge of you know, the storyline, and yeah, I think you're right. This episode showed.
Speaker 1: That that's that has never been kissed.
Speaker 2: What an interesting episode.
Speaker 1: I really enjoyed it, though, really you were dreading it.
Speaker 3: I was dreading it because I think I thought it was a different episode, which we'll talk about when we get to that episode.
Speaker 2: Wait, which episode do you think it was?
Speaker 3: I can't remember the title of it, but I'll tell you when I get there.
Speaker 2: Was it a Night to Forget or whatever?
Speaker 1: No? No, no, not that one. I mean not too but.
Speaker 3: All right, you want to do some tarty tapes, let's do some tarty takes. Okay, So the cringe moments aka oucheez. I feel like mine is probably Puck taking you on his community service and calling you.
Speaker 1: A crypt.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's a couple. I think, I think us maybe doing that handshake in the hallway was probably not great. Also, like all the things with Beast, maybe we're auchies a bit right.
Speaker 1: It was redeemed, but it wasn't right.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's not, but it's okay.
Speaker 3: So we switched this this category to best dance move, but I have a worst dance.
Speaker 2: Okay, go for it.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to point out.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna point fingers, but you got to go back and watch Teenage Dream some of those some of those dances were definitely trying to get some camera time it in.
Speaker 1: That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 3: The best number though, my best dance moves were obviously the boys.
Speaker 2: I disagree. No, the girls were crushed it and you got those cool little editing effects you know we.
Speaker 1: Used before first time we had.
Speaker 2: Okay, best song, I think just because Teenage Dream is so popular, I'm gonna go with the girls mashup. Oh wow, yeah, I love it. I really love it.
Speaker 1: It's funny. I really love your guys in this mashup.
Speaker 2: That's not always fuss.
Speaker 1: You know each other, fair fair fair, uh pressed for performance by a.
Speaker 2: Prop Oh maybe I mean the microphone stands in the girls number you guys really things.
Speaker 3: I think the cleaver in Dot's hand, in Coach B's hand in the meat, the meat cutting. Anything of those dream sequences where where Dot was doing that was I thought were excellent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're right.
Speaker 1: And the best line.
Speaker 2: So I think my favorite line honestly anytime Santana and Britney spoke in this episode. But I think Santana is saying, can I just say, this is what happens when people don't put out? Everyone just put out, we would have a winning football team. Wild wild.
Speaker 3: I I also really liked. I don't know it's my favorite quote. But when we were talking about our competitors for our next sectionals, Mercedes is like, wait, how are we going to compete against a bunch of adorable people?
Speaker 2: It is very good? So should we found in TikTok? Are you watching it? Yeah? So Juli and Ernesto on TikTok made this video and they said there are two types of people on vacation. One of them is reading a book about slavery and holocaust. After explaining in depth about the book, turns and says what are you reading, and the guy is reading sorry not sorry by one Naya Rivera and says, I'm reading about how much fun Nya Rivera had on Glee. It's cute. Go buy the book if you haven't read it. It's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: Thank you Yuli and Arnesto for making that. It's very good, a great, great video and also like makes me want to be on vacation well permanently.
Speaker 1: Just yeah, teleport me there, tet me.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining us. Everyone, what an episode. This was a big, big epis history and her.
Speaker 3: Story, her story. Thanks for joining us. Come back next week for another recap and.
Speaker 2: That's what you really missed.
Speaker 1: See you next week.
Speaker 2: Thanks for the listening, and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.