Speaker 1: Welcome back to another edition of the Frida Egg Podcast. Today's episode, I am joined by ESPN's Kevin van Valkenberg. Kevin is back on the golf beat, but you know, I wanted to talk about the Olympics, and I figured I should talk to somebody that's got, you know, some experience in clout and other sports. Kevin wrote one of one of my favorite pieces and any any sports piece this year, about Simone Biles earlier this year and taking his daughter to Olympic trials. Highly recommend that read if you have not read it yet. We talk about Olympics and golf state in the Olympics, and you know, I think I think both of us really enjoy golf in the Olympics, so seeing where it can go in the you know, we only have to wait three years for the next Olympics. Where it can go in the next three years and hopefully get a little bit more creative with the formatting and hopefully more top players play. As a quick reminder, if you haven't been to a Friday Egg event, I highly recommend him. Obviously I'm a little biased, but super fun days. I think anybody that's been to one will testify that we we it's a really fun day out at some world class golf courses. So we have three left on the calendar. For the rest of the year. We are sold out. In Lancaster. We have a few spots and Prairie Dunes on October fourth, and some spots at White Berr Yacht Club on September thirteenth. So two magnificent golf courses with Prairie Dunes and White Berr Yacht Club. I would highly recommend seeing both of them. Really fun, different golf courses and world class courses in their own right. So, without further ado, here is Kevin van Valkenberg.
Speaker 2: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset.
Speaker 1: When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my.
Speaker 2: Ball in a brid egg Friday Egg, the dreaded Frida Egg Frida, Egg Frida, egg egg Frida egg bride egg.
Speaker 1: Lie, I'm about ready to run off the golf Kevin, welcome back.
Speaker 2: It's been a while, it's been much too long. I'm excited to be back in the golf podcasting world.
Speaker 1: You know, I gotta I gotta one of those like X number of years ago, things popped up on my phone the other day and it was of us golfing in Saint Louis uh pg a bell Reeve and I brought it brought a smile to my face.
Speaker 2: That's fabulous. I uh yeah, that.
Speaker 1: Was a hot day, this extremely hot day.
Speaker 2: Gosh. I was definitely sweating my face off when we were doing that.
Speaker 1: So sounds like you got one of those ahead of you today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very possible. It's like the heat index hair in Baltimore is like one hundred and four, and I've somehow been talked into some sort of golfing adventure. So pray for me.
Speaker 1: Hey, when it's January and it's like ten degrees, you're gonna be praying for the one hundred and four. That's what I always tell myself. When it's really hot.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be like, hey, guys, just just plus for second. Last time, I was sweating my balls off like this. Andy wanted me to point out the various layers of the and the bunkering here and Mike Cart has none of that, So let's just imagine what it looked like if it did.
Speaker 1: Hey, I really enjoyed your piece as a you know, not really recent girl, dad, but a girl dad, a blossoming girl dad. I guess that's probably a weird word to use, but I enjoyed your piece about some of Biles and going to the trials with your daughter. I'm curious, you know, we're going to talk about the Olympics today and golf in the Olympics, but I'm curious in a larger sense, does your daughter, at age ten eleven, you know, kind of revel in the Olympics more so than other sports? Does she understand like the significance is that. Do you think there's something that when you're younger, the Olympics mean more than say, other, you know, sporting championships.
Speaker 2: There's definitely the case with my girls. My oldest in particular, she adores the Olympics and will just kind of soak up as much gymnastics as she can possibly do. Like the Peacock people like, we got our money's worth out of all the gymnastics stuff this year because we were watching it at all hours, various preliminaries and men's gymnastics and women's gymnastics. I don't know what it is about it exactly. Both of my girls like golf, but they have a special kind of affection for the Olympics, and I think, you know, I was watching Lydiaco get all emotional were in that bronze, and I was thinking, like, I get it, like my girls see this as something bigger than like, you know, I don't even they don't even think like the avy On is like a They couldn't even tell you that's a major, you know, like most people, I bet they know of the women's majors. They know the US Open and in the Open Championship, and that's about it for the women. And they love golf. They're like in the one percent bracket for girls their age of who were into golf. So I'd say, yeah, the Olympics does have a sort of a special appeal for them, and I if anybody's no, Like I took my daughter to the gymnastics trials because I had promised her that I was going to do that for like a tenth birthday present, and then the gymnastics trials got canceled like everything else because of COVID, and so we ended up going this year and it was a really kind of surreal interesting experience. Is the first sporting event that I had been to in like eighteen months since the Super Bowl when the Chiefs and Niners played. So I wrote a little thing about for ESPN, just about the kind of whole experience of being a parent and trying to take your kid back out in the world and them, you know, someone like Biles being there her hero, and just kind of trying to understand what it meant to Biles to be in this position. And it's sort of time of divisiveness and racial unrest, and Saint Louis provided a very interesting backdrop for all of that. Uh, And yeah, it was, it was really it was one of the more emotional moving things that I ever written, uh, and just kind of spilled out of me.
Speaker 1: I think it's you know, it's a great piece. Everybody should read it, whether you're a fan of gymnastics or not. All you have to do is google Kevin van Valkenberg, Simone Biles. It pulls right up. That's I find the easiest way to find anything these days. It's just to google the publication that you know it's in, and or the author's name and the topic. But you know, it's on a little website called the ESPN doc In case you hadn't heard of it. But I think about the Olympics in you know, golf's got had an interesting start to the Olympics, just in terms of like I don't think it's really been fully embraced as much as the golf organization say they're fully embracing it. I don't think they necessarily have really thrown their weight behind it. But I think back to like me being a kid. Your piece about your daughter made me think about, you know, the significance of Olympics as as kids, and I thought, you know, we had weady boxes like you get you know, the Olympic medals. You know, the weady box was such a big deal. And and I just I remember watching all the sports. You watched, figure skate, you watched, you know, I'd watched figure skate with my mom and sister. I'd watched gymnastics, like that's what they wanted to watch. I wanted to watch the hockey in the winter of the Olympics. In the summer Olympics, I wanted to watch basketball, you know, like it's uh, you know, it's really interesting, but there's that it definitely when you're a kid, and it's and still is almost like I think, like a habit in you and throughout, Like I remember even in college when I would fall out of watching, Like, you know, I didn't watch every major when I was in college of golf, but you know, I always remember distinctly watching Olympics when I was in college or what I was in the summer, when I was in maybe the worst state of my human being, you know, I still carved out time to watch Olympics because it was something that like I think obviously the scarcity has a lot to do with it. I think in probably some of the pageantry, which you know, somehow they pull it off. I think probably because of history they pull it off. But like if if golf had an event with the amount of pageantry that the Olympics had, we would just crush it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was just talking about this. I was thinking about I hadn't thought about this in years, but I remember as a eleven year old like sneaking down to stay up and watch the men's volley ball gold medal match in South Korea in Seoul. This is nineteen eighty eight, and like Karch Karai and Steve Timmins, two dudes who I would have never otherwise like had any knowledge that they even existed, were like these heroic figures in my life. I was like, oh my god, these guys are so awesome. I want to be like karch Karai and probably like went outside and practiced volleyball, which wasn't even a sport, you know, in in Montana for me growing up. And so that that's like the weird appeal of the Olympics, right. I remember Greg luganis hitting his head on the diving board. I you know, I exactly felt the same way. I can vividly remember where I was when I remember when the Dan and Dave thing was playing out, and Dan didn't make the he like didn't make the next round of it. He like you know, couldn't clear the h the pole vault in one level whatever, And so it was like the whole rebox hole like super duper ad campaign like fizzled out. These two dudes who are supposed to be like the best you know, have athletes or pen athletes in the world, where we're not going to have this showdown. Like all of that is vivid or memories of my childhood. And I couldn't tell you, like who won a single major in nineteen eighty eight without looking it up and golf.
Speaker 1: So was that maybe Bob Tyat Andverness was that eighty.
Speaker 2: Eight that's extremely memorable.
Speaker 1: I just said in nineteen eighty eight. You say nineteen eighty eight fell, that was fella those masters eighty nine ninety right, yep, So it wouldn't have been Fell though masters. But you know the interesting thing too with what you just talked about, like the instigma, like you're an eleven year old, you go down, you sneak down and watch volleyball because it like you wanted to see if they won the gold medal. And ironically the medal count, like the gold medal count, the US has thirty nine gold medals, China's second with thirty eight. US got two gold medals from a pretty new sport in the Olympics, golf, and would have been a big story if China had more gold medals of the US. Yes, but that that bargin to victory. The reason they you know, the difference between first and second, and that that count is golf, which is really and you think there there could have been whether it happened or not, there could have been kids that were really obsessed with the with the metal count and Nelly Corda's win coming down the stretch like at that kind of the tail end of the Olympics was a big deal when it came to that metal count.
Speaker 2: It's true it made me think of like I would it would be so fun to have like an INCAA tournament style pool of like who you pick who the win? My remember sports ill trade used to run like this big you know, prediction of who would win medals, and so I would like study it, like how it would be super fun of that was like a mainstream thing nowadays where you would sort of have to guess and do like research as to all right, who's going to win the medal in skateboarding or you know, synchronized swimming. Okay, it looks like Ukraine is really strong this year. I'm going to pick them, and like that was as important as picking like a first round upset in the in a pools like that would be awesome.
Speaker 1: We need to get a Joe Lonardi type of character on the on the feat true bracketology. We got to come up with a catchy name.
Speaker 2: Tell NBC to you know, get Steve what's that guy who does the election stuff? He was nacky guy. Be the predicting of all Right, looks like Nelly Corda is the favorite and the gold medal match this week, so lay your money down on that.
Speaker 1: So you know, zero again. On golf, What did you watch a bunch of the golf in the Olympics, and if so, what were kind of your big takeaways.
Speaker 2: I watched a little bit of it. I didn't get to watch as much as I would have otherwise because I was traveling during a bunch of it, but I did peek in on it whenever I could and sort of would talk and touch with my girls about Oh, you know, did you see that that Nelly Corta is leading by a bunch because they're My guest is super into goolf and she wants to be either Nelly Korda or Lexi Thompson for Halloween this year, and this may have tipped off her. She's not she's short, she's not tall like Nelly, but she this may have tipped the scales to her. Wanted to be Nelly Korda for How exciting that? Yeah, she gets the dire hair blonde either way, so she's pretty excited about that.
Speaker 1: You know, if she wants if she wants to be Lexi make sure she knows how to mark her ball.
Speaker 2: I think she's a better chipper than Lexi right now, you know. Look, yeah, there has definitely been some discussions as Lexi. The long fade during the s Open was was kind of crushing, and we had to talk about how, oh.
Speaker 1: My god, that had to be brutal with your daughter, Lexi fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty brutal there. But they they they haven't quite they can process like sports failure. But like I was really worried about how my oldest would process the Simone Biles news when she didn't compete. But mostly they're like, oh, I just hope she's okay, like I. You know, they don't don't have quite the crushing like when the Lakers would lose when I was a kid and I'd go up to my bedroom and just cry for ten minutes and then be done with it. They don't quite look at it like that just yet.
Speaker 1: So it's or like how I feel when the Bears drafted to a quarterback.
Speaker 2: Exactly true.
Speaker 1: Yes, something I've kind of like watching a good amount of it. I feel like the Olympics, it doesn't it's not like a regular tournament. It's definitely elevated, especially on the weibi's side. I felt like coming down the stretch of the tournament, players played noticeably differently, whether it was you know, the bronze medal contention, silver gold, you saw the type of things you see in large tournaments, maybe even more so than even majors, because I think the significance of second and third led to more players feeling that pressure not to take Azinger's term, but feeling that uncomfortability in the moment. You know, like, how would you assuming golf continues to be a major part of the Olympics, where do you see it going and being when we start to talk about careers.
Speaker 2: I think it's going to get more wait as things go forward. I've I don't know if I came around a little bit more on it this year, Like the first year of it, I was sort of more on the rory side of things where I didn't really think like Justin Rose and Matt Kocher like winning medals and Hendrickson like you could have. I had to look up that Hendrick Stinson was one second in Reo Olympics.
Speaker 1: I did not.
Speaker 2: It's not something like a performance that stood out to me as like a big historical thing. But you know, this time around, like I thought it was a lot more you know, compelling, and it feelt it had a better field. It felt like it had a little bit more history to it, just in the sense of we already had one Olympics and so now we're adding to that. The thing that kind of just stuck out to me thinking about the Olympics this year is just how few things there are in golf where history is what you're playing for, not money, because at some point money just becomes kind of like background noise. Like you could, no amount of money is going to change Rory McElroy's life, like you could. You could have a tournament for a billion dollars and he could play super hard, but it would affect his life like maybe one percent at all, Like he'd be able.
Speaker 1: To own it, yeah, maybe own a plane, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and his wife gown another plane like that. There's nothing really that would change that. But honestly, like if he had won a gold medal, it probably would make him further kind of delve into identity and like what does it mean to be an Irishman or a Northern Irishman and what does it mean to have. I think you saw some of that when when the Open Championship was at Port Rush, right, because the weight of all those things was super heavy on his shoulders and all this idea that like Rory McElroy could unite a country, even if only briefly, that had experienced, you know, hundreds of years of secular divisiveness, and he just couldn't, like his brain kind of short circuited during that. And so I think those kind of things are rare in golf, and like the US Amateur is one, like it's a meaning that's part of the reason why we love it. Right, So these guys aren't just being handed a big check. They're kind of etching their name into history, and they're sort of thinking, like Jack did this, and Tiger did this, and Bryce and the Shamba did this, and so this is meaningful to me because I know that my name is kind of among those things. And I think that there is a chance that golf will have some of that kind of meaning if if this kind of continues to be something that where all the you know, top players actually really wanted. The first year, I think it was just kind of like there was no one even knew if the golf course was going to be ready like three months before the Olympics, and Zekas was either you know, a fake excuse for not wanting to go or a real concern for some of the guys. And so Justin Rose in retrospect probably will be seen as sort of an important figure in the history of Olympic golf because he's the first, and he can only be the first winner. That can only be one of those I didn't love Justin Rose kind of try to shame Rory for sort of not competing. Rory had sort of admitted in one of those Paul Kimmage interviews, you know that Justin Rose had texted him and been like, Yo, the boys, all the boys here want you to know you missed out. And it struck me very much as like a daft englishman's understanding of what it means to be from Northern Ireland. And you know that Rory would not be thrilled to sit up there and listen to the Tri colors. You see the Tri colors and hear the international anthem and it'll be like this, this feels so foreign to me because this doesn't even feel like my country. So I think Justin Rose kind of was a fool in that sense of looking at it from Rory's perspective, But I do understand it from Justin Rose's perspective. How probably cool it had to sort of seem. And these guys, you know, they all grew up watching these Olympic moments like we did, and so for them to get a chance to sort of, you know, feel like they're a part of that instead of just adding more dollar signs to their you know thing. I bet you that if you took a poll of like, oh, would you rather win a gold medal or FedEx Cup? Of all the guys who'd never been to the Olympics, THEYD probably said like, oh yeah, FedEx Cup, that'd be sort of life changing. But of the people who have like a ton of money, I would bet they'd say Olympics because it's like, what is ten million dollars when you have one hundred million dollars? It's really the way the mount that it changes your life is almost nil. And so I do think that will kind of matter. I mean, it's if you die and you've won a gold medal, one of the first lines in your New York Times obituary is going to be like gold medal winning Justin Rose, who won the US Open and a gold medal passed away this year in twenty sixty five. Whatever, that's what's going to read in his oh bit. You know it'll be you're the one major that you won and the gold medal that you won. So I do think it matters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I think you hit on something that I hadn't thought of, is like the purity of the Olympics. There's you know, there's no money at stake, and then you know, everybody isn't a walking billboard. You know, we don't have NASCAR drivers out there filled with logos, and you know, if Bryson had played, it would have been in one. It would have been interesting to see if he had thanked his sponsors. But you know, that's one of the things, is the purity of it. And while the golf in the Olympics doesn't necessarily have history, you're definitely you're chasing the history of of what you watched growing up as a kid, and thinking of all the great athletes like you know, Michael Phelps, Simone Biles, like these these transcendent you know, Usain Bolt in recent time, like these transcendent athletes, like you become in the same class as them if you win a gold medal, and I do think golf is I've thought wrangle my head around, like how can we get significance out of second and third place in regular tournaments? Because it made the Sunday telecast where you know, in both cases, like the women's got close quick but Xander, you know, both set up where Xander and Nellie Corda had big leads going into Sunday, and at the start of the telecast there was still ample things to watch because you know, effectively ten players were in it for something significant in a medal, and we saw lydia Co obviously very emotional about winning a medal, you know, just you know, and then we saw a lot of you know, Adity talked about how she's never been so you know, disappointed in a fourth place finish, which was, you know, the best finish of her year. So I think that's the it's got sticking power. Where I started with the formatting, the embrace of the overall golf world is kind of where it has a lot of room to grow.
Speaker 2: Sure, I've never told the story before, but I wrote a piece about lydia Co a few years ago. I remember that we talked to a bunch of people about it. And one of the stories that I heard but didn't get to use in the piece because it didn't sort of fit structurally, and it is, you know, her parents, her father in particular is pretty strict and sort of a driving force in her golfing life, and you know, there's a lot of people who for a while felt that she would be better off if she you know, did like Michelle Wee and essentially cut her parents off at a later age and said, you know, I'm my own person now, like you don't want you to travel with me or whatever, but we are in the Olympics in Rio. Her father was really really pushing her. He really wanted her to win a gold medal, like this was extremely important to like their family, he felt, and their sort of you know, identity as South Korean slash New Zealanders. And she felt kind of an overwhelming amount of pressure and maybe didn't play quite as well as she could or as she finished second there, but that that was like a lot of people were like, WHOA, Like, she's under a lot of pressure, and I don't think people really realize that or understood that at the time, in part because it was the first Olympics, but like to the co's it really really mattered. It was a huge, huge deal, And so I was reminded of that when I saw her emotional and talking about her grandmother and stuff, and I think, like, you know, growing up part in South Korea and part in New Zealand and just thinking about sport in the sort of larger context. I mean, she was the kind of she I asked her about this. She went to like a ton of other events when she was in Rio to watch like New Zealanders compete. And I think if you're someone who you know, grows up in one place and has a connection to to it, like South Korea, but then moves to another place, part of what makes you maybe feel like a part of that culture and that country is like Olympic sport. Like here she is like cheering on like weightlifters and like you know, rugby players and these more traditional you know, Kiwi New Zealand type sports. And so that I thought was a cool thing to kind of understand why the Olympics made her feel like she was more in New Zealand. Then you know, some outsiders might sort of look at us because she was like, you know, I'm one of these, I'm a New Zealand Olympian.
Speaker 1: The Lydia cow whole evolution, just the way she's evolved as a as a person, Like I thought that last round of the like I've never found her so endearing, like her attitude towards Nelly Korda, the way she competed. Obviously played an incredible round of golf, had a little bit of you know, a few missteps in the middle of the round, but the way she battled, and then just the graciousness of her as a as a competitor, as somebody who came up just short. I found just it was unbelievable. And I think over the last year there's something about when these athletes go through struggles and come out of them that I think has such a It creates such a humility and a so much more balance in their life. They become I feel like, more relatable, and Lydia Co has gone from you know a few years ago, I kind of didn't know how I felt about her. Probably one of my favorite LPGA players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, this is the same person who fired you know, nine caddies whatever in the first few years of her career and who everyone kind of wondered, like, is she, you know, behaving a little spoiled? Is she not looking in weird or whatever too? You know, I've seen her. She's sort of famous on the LBGA tour for like packing great snacks during rounds and like having like fresh fruit, And so I watched her, I'm serious, I watched her walking during a round and like, this is like a major round. I think it was the Ana and she whips out like a big tub of like freshly cut pineapple and watermelon and like starts handing pieces of it, like offering it up to the people she's playing with, Like hey, you know, and these are like her competitors. I mean, can you imagine Bryson like sharing protein bars or you know, anything like that during rounds. Like she's the kind of person who will offer you half her sandwich in the middle of a you know, one hundred and ten degree day because she's like, hey, I'm not to eating all this and I'd love it if you got a chance to experience it.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. I might have to have her on just to talk about what her favorite fruit is luely discussed, like the intricacies of what's the best fruit on the golf course. See, the thing I worry about with pineapple is sticky fingers, you know.
Speaker 2: And you know what they use toothpicks. Yeah, I pluck it on the insight to the fruit I'm offering onto this podcast unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Now for a quick break for a word from our sponsor, Zero Restriction. Uh. This is a apparel company. You've probably known, Zero Restriction, great rain gear maker, that's what they're kind of cut their teeth getting into the industry on Uh. They are part of Summit Golf brand, So same brand that creates b Dratty. Zero Restriction is the official outerwear of the Fried Egg as well as the next international team competition that we're going to see on TV, the Solheim Cup. I believe that's a true statement. The next international I didn't do my research, but I believe that is the next international team competition. So the Solheim Cup will be at Inverness. We will have ample coverage of Inverness. But Zero Restriction is the official provider of the Solheim Cup's outerwear. You know, fall is on the way. As much as I regret to say this. It's time to load up on some outer gear. And one of the great things about zero restriction is that it is awesome for men and women. They have you know, missus Friday loves their pullovers, their yoga pants, and then I'm a big fan of their pullovers, rein gear, vests, et cetera. So they have official licensed Solheim cup gear in their shop zero restriction dot com and if you use the promo code TFE twenty five, you will get twenty five percent off. So if you've been procrastinating about rein gear or anything, twenty five percent off is a big deal on these big purposes. I mean you're talking about if you buy a really nice rain rain suit or you know some nice hour where you're talking about fifty hundred bucks off. So use twenty five TFE twenty five at zero restriction dot com and you'll get twenty five percent off. Now back to Kevin van Valkelmberk. So you know, moving forward, how would you We did a Golf Star podcast a few years ago where we got to just you know, change change golf. You know, I don't I should listen back and see see if anything's changed at all. Or moved in a direction. But how would you make the Olympics better Golf in particular, not the overall Olympics.
Speaker 2: Well, I would adopt more of an NC DOUAA tournament model where you have a stroke play sort of section that determines a sort of a champion of her team.
Speaker 1: Kind of like an all around title for the women's gymnastics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then but where then I would sort of follow the Antiba model where then it breaks into match play because I think like that would be really cool, Like that would sort of you would really feel like you had vanquished everyone if you were the match play gold medal winner, right, Like that's kind of how most other of the Olympic sports work in some sense, Like if you couldn't do that, which I don't know that, like golf will ever go away from just a stroke play champion to sort of determine their thing. I would just love to see we'll do three rounds of stroke play stuff and we'll determine a gold medal winner from that, or we'll sort of fit it in five whatever we'll do this for. But I really would love to see some sort of mixed gender alternate shot for like a thing I mean this, think of how much fun that would be, and especially like in an alternate shot format where you know, you could have two people who from like a small country who just happened to sort of play really great together and catch fire and it's like a Cinderella kind of thing, like where they're matched up against you know, Justin Thomas and Nelly Korda and the or Xander and Daniel King or whatever in the final Like that would be so much fun. And I think watching the men and women have to kind of work together and read puts for each other and high five and get exuberant. I mean, imagine what a visual like image it would be if like Nelly Korda and Patrick Reid played an alternate shot thing and like Nelly made like a twenty foot bomb to win, and Patrick Reed like ran over and picked her up in the air. Like that would be. That would make Patrick Reid so much more likable and so much more endearing. And if they ended up like hating each other, that would make for fun kind of get interesting visuals too. Like I think alternate shot with with a one man and one woman would be so much fun for the Olympics, and there would be nothing else like it, and you only have to do it. Let's just only do it for one round, right, Like, let's just let's just sort of say, like who can post the best score with these two players each each going out? And I think that would be a really interesting way to kind of get a team element. It would sort of show like, Okay, you don't have to necessarily have a super deep team to compete in this. Maybe there's you know, one male Indian golfer and one female or one New Zealand male golfer who can compete with Lydia Co and like, you know, one golfer could be so good from the female side that it could make their team super competitive if they didn't have like a super strong male candidate or vice versa. I mean, you're tell me, like there aren't two golfers in all of Russia, who couldn't you know, have one day where they compete and play well, Like it's such a huge country, or like South Africa, like all of these places where we maybe we don't think of them as like traditional hotbeds for men's and women's golf, Like that would be a great chance to showcase, like, well, the best player in the best female player from some country might just be like a one which might not be good enough to play like professional golf at a highest level, but an alternate shot they could be pretty darn like good. How is that any different than some of the other Olympic sports where being a niche.
Speaker 1: Like a swimmer. I remember a swimmer from I can't remember where a few years ago qualified and it was you know, they were It was a huge story, but you know, the guy came and last in the qualifying rounds, but he was there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it would be awesome, and I think it would just everybody would be I think, kind of riveted. You'd get some really bad shots and you'd get some really cool recoveries too. I just alternate shots one of the best formats and we only ever see it at the Ryder Cup, and so I think it just would be a super fun way to get people really engaged in a larger sense of like, all right, I'm a fan of women's golf and men's golf, and so now I get to see them come together for this brief moment.
Speaker 1: I completely agree about the mix event. So you know, with the current construct with sixty person fields, it's very small. I don't you know, if you just did one small tweak, I don't see why you can't have a women and men's tournament happening concurrently. So that's a one one A like why aren't why isn't this happening at the same time? How cool it would be to have, you know, two events going on at once, right, B. There needs to be some matchplay format of this or team competition, whether you know or and the mix thing is also a thing that I've I thought would be a great idea. So idea would be obviously, like a team competition for the men, Chili would have won depending on how you split up the American team into two if you put them into two man teams, Chili would have won the men's team. How fricking cool is that?
Speaker 2: That's amazing? That would be really cool, Like I.
Speaker 1: Mean, like that, that's the whole point of having the team competition and what you just illustrated with, you know, a small country like if Chili, Like that's a huge deal in Chili. I can't imagine. I don't have how many medals they won in front of me, but I can't imagine they won many, you know, and It's the same thing we saw with why Aditi was such a big deal was that, you know, it's a country that doesn't win a lot of medals in the summer Olympics, and this, you know, golf, her chasing a medal in golf was like became national news. The other idea I had, you know, I think there shouldn't be an event the week after and either men's or women's golf, Like, there should not be a WGC the week after. There shouldn't be in a very important event. Whether it's important for us as media, I don't find wgc's at all important, but it's important for the pro golfers because of the free Bunny and the world ranking points that go along with it that they need to play in that. So that should never be after Olympics. That's that's just doing the Olympics. That's where I feel like the tour hasn't really embraced the Olympics, as you don't schedule at WGC after the Olympics, and I think, you know, part of this is like they don't own the Olympics. They don't get you know, they don't have a big financial benefit of the Olympics. Happening, so they don't, you know, they don't want to push it, right. But then I was thinking the other thing you could do, Like I've seen a lot of calls for amateurs. What if the mixed event was an amateur event the week after the men and the women play the same week, and you get like the you know, it becomes you know, builds these people, these young golfers as you know, on a large platform, and you you maybe have someone like you know, Pierson, Cootie or whatever playing with Rojjang for the US, like and then all of a sudden, I guess I hate the term grow the game, but I just think that's these are the things like the Olympics. Of all the grow the Game initiatives, of all the tournaments that the golf hosts and everybody like, oh, growing the game, the one event that truly do have an impact and ability to grow the game is the Olympics.
Speaker 2: It's true, I will say I was I was a big like roll my eyes that they grow the game stuff. But I read somewhere that when golf is designated as an Olympic sport in order to send an Olympic team, to like to be a part of the Olympic Federation whatever, you have to invest a certain amount of money in each of the Olympic sports. And so there is actual like investment that has to be made as long as golf stays an Olympic sport. Like even the little country of Yeah, so they have to moore a bunch of money into their junior golf programs or whatever to sort of say to the Olympic Committee, you know, this is look weird doing this for golf, so, you know, knowing the IOC and its history of corruption and probably take their sort of piece off the top first. But there is you know, precedent for you know, these countries is saying, are right, well, if golf stays this way, we have to do it. You know, there's each each year the Olympics comes around, it seems like there's another like quirky sport added to it, like another basketball. Yeah, but how fuch far are we really from like having a TrackMan Olympics from having like a.
Speaker 1: Long drive thing Bryson Olympics.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, like two hundred mile an hour ball speed a way to sort of win a gold medal, and you know Bryson would just get dusted by those long drive guys, So like that would it would like send Bryson further and further down the rabbit hole of trying to find extra speed and flat drivers with you know, zero degrees of loft, like you could totally see like a track man that would How is that any different than like the hammer throw or like there's break dancing in the Olympics next year or next time this day in France.
Speaker 1: So that's unbelievable. Yeah, break dance that I mean they could do. I've always wondered why we have we don't have any like skills competitions. Like one of my favorite memories of of the Pro Bowl is when Mitch couldn't throw it over the over the the like plywood, the plywood defender to the receiver to the best one of the best receivers in the league. That was you know, the skills competition part could be fascinating. You know. Victor Hoflin loves to talk about dog out himself about how bad he's at chipping, Like, let's let's get him under the Olympic lights going for a metal chipping like that. It I think you could do something similar. I don't know how many metals golf is really barritted to hang a hand out. You know, this is gonna be a lot of metals.
Speaker 2: But you know might not. They're swimming. How many metals is there in swimming? Like there's there's like thirty medals for seven different disciplines. Like you know, every time Olympics comes around, you see all these people bitching about how Michael Phelps isn't truly the best Olympian of all time because what is the difference really between like the butterfly and the freestyle and the you know, the backstroke, and they're not that it's just swimming in a different way going forward. So why can't golf just say like, oh, yeah, like this is just this track man Championships has you know, very little to do with the actual stroke play, but it's still a clear golf skill.
Speaker 1: What if like he did like something like like wedges and and Ireland's like, no, Rory, we're sitting you out for this one. We're bringing we're bringing in like some sixty five year old.
Speaker 3: Man Christie O'Connor or whatever, that guy who won the rider up for him, Like what a what a controversial decision is the Irish team or skidding Rory? This We'll see how he reacts, but right now it's.
Speaker 1: I mean, this just would bring so much Uh, it would almost bring like a great level of bananity that would be so so entertaining uh to the Olympics. I'm all for it, And then it would give It would also spice up our regular weekly telecast and be like, well, you know, uh, Patrick Cantley won the UH one, the all round driving gold medal, he's a gold medalist.
Speaker 2: Well, like you never it's funny that they never talk about how Rory's got such an average wedge player in the broadcast. Maybe that would finally force CBS's hand or ABC's hand to kind of discuss the reality that we like that truth about Rory only exists in like the podcast world.
Speaker 1: He got bench. He got bench famously for a sixty five year old man who had played competitive golf in twenty years.
Speaker 2: We just had Olympic pressure and he just couldn't handle the pressure.
Speaker 1: Maybe Gary Player would get in some copies.
Speaker 2: I mean, bunker play is for Olympic medal, Like, are you telling me that Gary Player couldn't isn't the like the fourth best bunker player in South Africa? Still the.
Speaker 1: Fact to a serious. So the other thing with the Olympics is talk about with golf is like the the circumstance Deltha with Zeke between Zeka and COVID, like no no swimmer, like elite swimmers skipping because the Olympics is like everything right, but for golf, with it being at this point not fully established in not a must go, you know, between the two things like the dampened I saw DJ cited the dampened you know, Olympics experience. I think he said that it wasn't really a real Olympics. So those two things obviously had had a huge impact on I think players showing up or they were convenience excuses for people that didn't want to make the travel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what would be the excuse for I mean, will Bubba Watson say he can't go because he vowed to never go back to France as the food was weird? And you know, I don't know if.
Speaker 1: There's something if Bubba Watson was qualified at that point forty years years.
Speaker 2: From something has mid forties, right, if it was still he's like forty one now or something, I don't know, that'd be that'd.
Speaker 1: Be super exciting to see if could have a crazy excuse at that point.
Speaker 2: Not allowed outside the country because of extradition rules or something. Yeah, I don't know, Like I'm already imagining though, where you're your your amateur slash pros take like that we could have the pros play at leg Off National and the amateurs could play at Montefort or whatever that more Fonte. Yeah, that's just what a great pression.
Speaker 1: It's okay, it's if you had me pronouncing you know, NFL linements. You know.
Speaker 2: How great is that course? And yet like I probably couldn't stand up to the pro game, so you could totally like showcase it. But with the amateur game that would be sweet.
Speaker 1: Well. The other thing I think that they're missing out on, which you touched on in your piece, is like, why don't we have a qualifying tournament? Why is it just like straight like how fun would a qualify tournament be?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Olympic, the US Olympic Trials, that's true. I haven't thought of that that. I think when when we were talking about the difference between like money and history, it would be fun if the masters like through in all right, you know that you get to you get to come to the Masters, if you finish you know, in the top if you win a medal, like no matter where you are, because that would that isn't like a mon Yeah, that isn't like an right, Like why not, Like that would be a great incentive for you know, imagine other than like if you grow up in Chile or you grow up in you know, Bali or wherever, one of your dreams if you're a golfer might be to someday play in the Masters, and like the Olympics would be a way into that, you know, without having to finish what in the top fifty or when you're Latin amateur or Asian Pacific amateur, Like getting an Olympic medal would be a great way to get to play in the Masters. That would be just as huge too, like the the golfing population of some of these smaller countries as other things. So like why not the Masters can just add three more people in their field. It's not like they're really you know, stuck on a certain specific number, and they could just do that for the sort of history of the game, for fun.
Speaker 1: It'd be great. I mean, there's all kinds of things you could do. All the majors could do it. This would this would fall under the bucket of golf actually embracing the Olympics as as a real thing. That would be you know, it's good. It's good for any time that like casual viewers, like a large like golf was on the NBC telecast at points, it's like you're picking up people that not really do not watch golf, whether you're like any time you can get in front of golf, So like all of golf should embrace it. This is a all boats rise situation. This is not a this or them. Only the tour might look at it and say they're gonna they're gonna take our fifth major away from the players. But outside of that.
Speaker 2: You know, it does get into the like the scarcity argument, right, is what we a lot of what we talk all the time about why golf kind of has a monotonous feel, right because you never get the chance to miss it, Like you never get a chance to sort of have a a week where you have a breath and like think like okay, like I don't have to think about golf this weekend or whatever, and yeah, like it's you know, it's I guess it's important for playing opportunities and the tour is never going to sort of take away tournaments, but I mean, you know, it might benefit in the long run if like some tournaments, some cities only got a tournament every other year, you know, and then it's the whole the whole populace of that city is like, oh my god, like we didn't get the you know, the Quad Cities or the three m or whatever this year, the John dere like, but it's next year, We're going to be so excited. Like it's the Ryder Cup argument. Like some people say, oh, there should be a Ryder Cup every year. I actually don't think so. I actually think one of the things that makes it really makes you really into it will wait. It's so long that you get more and more build up and excitement and so like I kind of love it when there's two weeks between the the AFC Championship game in Super Bowl, because it's like, okay, like you're itching, like after that first week of like we don't have football for the first time or whatever, Like I'm now I'm super jack. Like the players are exhausted by it because of the media obligations and stuff. But I think it would be kind of fun if there was just a little break here and there.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's football is like the perfect example, the perfect Like, I am a football fan and right now I've got I've got the football itch. I've started to listen to my football pods. I'm getting back into it. I'm like and it's like, oh, thank god it's back. And you know, every Sunday it's yeah, I love Sundays. You know, I've flipped between golf and football, and it's like the football, I mean they haven't figured out where I mean, they added a game, so they're getting less scarce, which is you know, eventually we probably will get to the point where we have fifty two weeks a year of football if they if the owter's at their way. But you know, the one game a week, it's a smaller commitment. It's easier to be super invested when the commitments smaller. You know, of your time, Like you think about golf, I get it's on for it's like twelve hour a day, four days a week. It's like, it's really hard to be committed to that. It's hard for me if somebody covers the sport to watch like as much of it as I think I should.
Speaker 2: I wonder what percentage of people watch all the golf that there is available to watch. You know, it's probably zero point, you know, five percent of the golf watching audience, whereas like the percentage of people who watch every football game that's available to them, you know, within reason, like we're not watching four games at once, is much higher, I'm sure, and that's because it requires a smaller investment. Like, Okay, I'll watch Sunday night.
Speaker 1: It's one day, really not football.
Speaker 2: Monday night football, Thursday football, and Sunday football. That's a lot. That's most football fans probably don't watch all of those things. But that's still less of a commitment than would take to watch all the.
Speaker 1: Golf and one week, one week of golf versus like seven you know, fifty two fifty weeks a year. That's golf is Thursday through Sunday from seven am till seven pm. Let's just say football seventeen weeks or May twenty weeks a year is noon my time to ten pm, ten thirty one day week, and then you get night games two other days. It's like it's kind of wild, I can't.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, sometimes when people root for the PGL to sort of come into existence. They I just try to imagine the like the chaos that it would be as a golf fan, like trying to follow. All right, well, we got two tournaments on today and ones that you know that this team could be relegated if they don't win, and then we're gonna come back to watch the three m where the you know, the leader. There's nobody in the top thirty in the world who's in this tournament, And like what does.
Speaker 1: It mean, Like we're Brendan Todd's battling Jim Herman down the stretch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the riveting. Maybe that's what Maybe that's what golf was like in like nineteen eighty eight before Foaldo came along and started winning majors.
Speaker 1: To bring us back to the beginning, all right, KVV, it's always a pleasure. Give us one one football take that you've been rubinaing on with the season right around, and then we'll let you out of here.
Speaker 2: My football take is that the Packers will once again collapse in the more important, more.
Speaker 1: Important player audience here, Yeah, most.
Speaker 2: Important game of the year. Like there's look, Aaron Rodgers is a great player. Have loved watching him. Think he's the most enjoyable thrower of the football that I've ever seen in covering the game for twenty years. But there is something to be said for why, like he's only his record in NFC championship games is not great. And it's not just like, oh, he doesn't have the right pieces around him or he's always got some bad breaks. Like guys like Tom Brady like put their teams in position to win, like over and over and over again by doing the simple right things, And Aaron Rodgers doesn't do those things. He does all the miraculous things, but he is not great about like in what seems like a meaningless thing picking up a third and six on a you know, and I think that that puts his team in a position to where they can choke it away more often than like what Brady's greatest talent, all the time, for his entire career has just been like you need four yards, I'll get you five, and Aaron Rodgers is like, you need four yards, I'm gonna try for thirty eight.
Speaker 1: You know. The The other thing he did was that he, uh, he said that his teammates stunk all off season. Yeah, could cast some you know, whether or not, you know, apparent at first glance, when the gooye gets tough, some some scars that you know.
Speaker 2: When Justin Fields starts leading the Bears to you know, a string of unexpected victories and they upset the Packers on like a Thursday night, and there's a mutiny in the Packers locker room where guys are screaming at Aaron. You didn't want to be here anyway, Then that'll be like you're Nirvana.
Speaker 1: I'm not getting any hopes up about Justin Fields. I've been down this road too many times, I know. I still I still have haunting nightmares of Kate McNown and his throwing balls into the dirt.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't like make this that public because I kind of cover the game. But like, I grew up a Bears fan, so you and I will trade texts about the history of terrible Bears quarterbacks and you know, uh, we're together in our misery to get through the season.
Speaker 1: But I went to games that were more illuminating than any any two games that I think we could possibly Like, I watched Peyton Manning play Craig Krenzel Crenzil and then I can't remember who it was. I watched Tom Brady in like a blizzard light up the Bears. I can't remember who the quarterback was. I don't think it was Grossman. I was in a little bit of a haste due to my own doing the night before, and it was, you know, it was like something like both games were like I think the team scored fifty points, you know, the Patriots of the Colts both scored like fifty and the Bear scored about seven. And it was just like, we don't have one of these quarterbacks. We never have and we've never been close to having one of them.
Speaker 2: I like waited my entire life to go to a soldier field, like I had sort of dreamed of it, and then when I finally got to do it, it was I was like writing a Teddy bridge Runner story and it was like Teddy Teddy Bridgewater versus God. I can't even remember who the Bears quarterback was.
Speaker 1: It was a couple of years ago. It was when Bridgewater was on the Saints. It was, uh, who was that?
Speaker 2: God it was? I I do know that. I like texted some friends and I was like, oh God, this is not this.
Speaker 1: It wasn't Glennon, it was It might have been. Uh it wasn't Foles, No, that was Folds was last year. Who was it?
Speaker 2: I'm trying to look it up. I don't know. It's brutal.
Speaker 1: It was someone Mitch is back. Oh who's uh it was what's his name? Uh, he's the Chase Daniel.
Speaker 2: It wasil. This is clearly a dream matchup for me. That was I waited my whole life just for that.
Speaker 1: So oh all right, we'll end on that high note. KBV. You can find KVV on Twitter. Is right, I got ESPN dot com. Enjoy your sweaty golf today and we'll talk to you sooner than later. Thanks buddy, Thank you for listening to another edition of the Frida Egg Podcast. We will be back next week. Garrett Morrison has another edition of his popular Frida Egg Stories. This is gonna be a good one. I don't want to give too much away, So next week in your feeds early in the week will be a new Frida Egg story with Garrett Morrison. This episode was edited by the aforementioned Garrett Morrison. And thanks for listening. If you got a second, write this review, give us a review on the app store or podcast app wherever you listen. Ratings and reviews do help. Even if you're saying this we suck, it helps us get better. If you say we're great, that's really appreciated at it too. Have a nice day and thanks for listening to the Friday Podcast.