Speaker 1: Welcome to This Is Important, a production of iHeart Radio, the show where we talk about what's obviously most critically crucially important today.
Speaker 2: On This is Important.
Speaker 3: The last thing you want to say when you send a dick pic is zoom.
Speaker 2: In suck our dicks. R. L. Stein.
Speaker 4: I'm tattooed on a man's ass in North Carolina.
Speaker 5: Honey cock more than air.
Speaker 6: Let's goes.
Speaker 3: Yes, whoa, we got a spicy one today?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 2: Oh, I can't wait for them to listen to what we're about to say, because I bet it's gonna be.
Speaker 5: A spicy one today.
Speaker 7: Whoa, I know it's going to be a spicy one.
Speaker 2: Up winning, that's good, real quick, before we get into the spice. Okay, just so you know, we're going to Catalina till it now tomorrow. Yeah, it was getting too spicy. We're the three of us are going to Catalina tomorrow. The road is ready, the fire are being filled. Okay, I'm bringing Dorito's Cool Ranch Regular, some kettle chips.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 6: My wife was like, you.
Speaker 5: Guys are three actors. You're not gonna eat all them chips.
Speaker 2: I'm like, bitch.
Speaker 5: Oh, I was like baby, baby, it's just you wait, did she really?
Speaker 2: She did? She did say that, and I was a little offended. And that is h that was a little offended.
Speaker 5: That's probably a wake of call. Is that a wake up call? Yeah? I guess like you guys are actors. You shouldn't do that.
Speaker 7: You shouldn't eat all those chips.
Speaker 2: But just so you know, guys, I've been working very hard on getting ready for the Grand Voyage all the way over to Catalina. Catalina, I okay tomorrow because we're it's open ocean, baby, it's open ocean. Anything that happened, it's international waters. It's kind of dangerous, anything that happen.
Speaker 5: What Blake is only thinking about triple kissing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm Blake's like, sorry, sorry, so we could fuck out there, He's like, and for all these years, Adam's singing fireworks, Yes, I'm thinking murder.
Speaker 3: After all these years, I'm still thinking about triple kissing, y'all, and this might be my time.
Speaker 2: You know what we could do is we could and I if you guys have a shotgun, bring it.
Speaker 5: We could go skeet shooting.
Speaker 7: Okay, you can go skeet shooting out there.
Speaker 2: These clays they dissolve I don't have a shotgun.
Speaker 5: I wish I would have had some heads up. I didn't. I don't have my shotgun with me. What do I have to get one illegally?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 7: Like, where am I going to get a shotgun in a day? But you can get illegal and go right downtown.
Speaker 2: Go just get a shotgun. Yeah, just go to gun.
Speaker 5: Thought it takes a while, and that's why I'm leaving LA. You can't just go get a shotgun on a whim.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's some bullshit, Thanks Gavin.
Speaker 2: Yep, come down here in the Orange Country.
Speaker 7: You can get a you can get a shot gun like that.
Speaker 2: But okay, so I just wanted to preface I'm very excited about that. But you know what I'm more excited about.
Speaker 7: Boys, We know what IM more excited about.
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 2: I do our first ever real guest. And that's not to take away from my father. Yeah, doesn't count hit us with hit us with the button that it's important.
Speaker 3: Or all the people that we interviewed at the super Bowl, at the super Bowl we've had.
Speaker 5: It doesn't take it away from Doug Fluty.
Speaker 7: Yes, take it away from Doug Flutie.
Speaker 5: Never the hot dog, hot dog eater, dude.
Speaker 2: Joey Chestnut, Yeah, Joey Chestnut. It's not taken away from them.
Speaker 3: And of course it doesn't take away from Will Forte, who was our first kind of live show guest.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately we didn't get to him because we ended up fist fighting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he didn't really speak up, Yeah, which is on him. Maybe next time.
Speaker 2: But this this guy, he's a he's he's a true comedy hero I know, for the three of us, and we're goddamn are we excited?
Speaker 5: Oh, we're ready to break the mold.
Speaker 7: Our first ever.
Speaker 2: Legitimate guests, not taking away from any other guests, and we've had not that they're illegit. Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. Danny mybride, Danny McBride, everybody hit us with an applause button.
Speaker 5: Blake, this is what it feels like to be the first guest.
Speaker 7: I like it and all this glory.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, one of our best freaking comedy heroes on the pod.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Thank you for joy, thank you for coming on, thanks for.
Speaker 4: Having me, Thanks for saying that I'm the first real guest, even above your dad, Adam.
Speaker 8: That's really really kind of you.
Speaker 2: Well, he didn't He didn't really say much.
Speaker 7: He came on. He was battling cancer, so he was being all Laxaday's school.
Speaker 2: We're like speak, I like energy, energy, energy, fucking come on man.
Speaker 8: Yeah I understand that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he talked about fucking your mom or eating pus something.
Speaker 2: When my dad gets nervous. We brought him up. We did the cruise, right, I think I told to a little bit about we did this insane cruise with all of our fans.
Speaker 7: It was It was very fun. It was a lot, though, but it was very fun.
Speaker 2: And uh, there was this one girl that kept saying that she wanted to fuck Blake and she would wear the base of her strap on. She would wear her strap on just around around the around the cruise and then would constantly be like, Blake, I want to fuck you. I will fuck you like penetrate me, penetrate Blake. She kept and we don't know what happened behind closed doors.
Speaker 4: Be surprised that that did work. That seems like a good strategy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, kind of outside the box. Usually it works all the time.
Speaker 9: But yeah, kind of outside the box, inside the ass, inside the ass, inside Blake's ass bogs.
Speaker 5: But yeah, he got into some some risk territory. You're dead.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but you handled it well.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So we we brought him up on the cruise ship and then you know, he gets nervous and then he tries to joke and then immediately he started talking about fucking my mom, which uh, which is yeah, it hit. It works with a crowd, So he went blue. This is this is where we get it from. We are our father's sons going.
Speaker 9: That's where he talked about sending dick picks or something, and I'm like, you never.
Speaker 5: I don't know if he was trying to relate to the youth. I don't know. We're going digital, baby.
Speaker 2: He looked out at our forty year old crowd, and it's like these kids like to said, dig picks forever young, forever young. Yeah, not a lot of dick pics being sent over here. You guys never send tickpics, right you guys did you? Were you big Dick's pick senders?
Speaker 5: I would have been big Dick pic center.
Speaker 3: I I can't say I had the confidence, nor like the proper lighting to send any Dick p Yeah.
Speaker 7: I feel like lighting is a huge part of it.
Speaker 9: I do feel like Blake would have drawn like a smiley face on the end of it or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he would have put a little hat on his guy. He would have called his dick his.
Speaker 5: Guy a lot. Yeah, you've got to have fun with it here.
Speaker 8: It's just I think I think technology saved me.
Speaker 4: I just I just had a Nokia for where any time where I could have sent dick pics.
Speaker 8: The megapixels weren't great.
Speaker 2: It was just four pixels.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then once that clarity got in, I was married. There was no reason to send it.
Speaker 3: Bro, it was right there. You're like, hey, have you have you seen the newsnake game? Have you seen the news game?
Speaker 8: Let's play mine sweeper?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what would what would your wives, all all of us, what would your wives do if you, out of the blue, right now just sent a Dick pic?
Speaker 5: Would that go over at all?
Speaker 8: I should do it, you know what I'm going to That's a good idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, let's let's really surprise everyone under the table right now, under the I.
Speaker 5: Think the first question would be like, was this meant for me?
Speaker 3: It might get you into some trouble, Yeah, that would absolutely.
Speaker 5: That's what I'm saying. It's like, this is out, this is out of normal.
Speaker 8: Moves.
Speaker 5: It's like, what is this for durs?
Speaker 2: No, but but really tiny on the shaft you have to write four and then your wife's name.
Speaker 7: So so I'm like, zoom in, honey, zoom in.
Speaker 8: Yes with the date on it, so you know what happened to call?
Speaker 5: That's for you, baby, zoom in good call.
Speaker 3: The last thing you want to say when you send a dick pic is zoom in.
Speaker 8: To get the fool throttle.
Speaker 5: You're gonna want to zoom.
Speaker 2: You're gonna want to hit this tension zoom. Danny's like, what did I sign up for?
Speaker 5: Sorry? Man, We're sorry.
Speaker 8: Idea here. I was like, this is fantastic.
Speaker 4: I would I want to do it when I I can see my wife so I can see the look on her face and to make sure that my daughter is not using her phone when I.
Speaker 2: Send it's not connected to the iPad.
Speaker 7: When whether you're trying to play roeblocks or whatever.
Speaker 5: Why don't try.
Speaker 9: If I sent it, the only thing I would get back would be like, just don't forget to pick up the kids at camp.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it would just it'd be like, no, just get to your God, just pick up the.
Speaker 2: Greek yogurt from the store.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, are you in the aisle right now, Danny.
Speaker 9: We're about to go to Catalina. Have you ever been to Catalina or dog Alina?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 4: I have been to Catalina. Yep, I've been there. Catalina is fantastic. Adam, I was spying and listening. You are you're you're commanding the ship that's going over there?
Speaker 8: Yes, Sam, oh are you scared about that?
Speaker 5: I mean, it's his boat. It's his boat.
Speaker 7: Would you trust me to command a ship with your life?
Speaker 8: I think so? I think I think so. It's a straight shot. It should be pretty easy.
Speaker 5: It's pretty easy.
Speaker 7: You kind of just set it in the computer and get it right.
Speaker 2: No, that is not true. You don't set it and forget it. You have to be vigilant.
Speaker 5: Adam's gonna be doing a lot of just feeling the wind.
Speaker 7: Yeah, don't be oversteering the motherfucker the whole time.
Speaker 5: Like, oh, I'm not oversteering.
Speaker 2: There is a there is an auto pilot that that that I will set it to. But you don't set it and forget it. You said it, and you sit there and you watch. Remember there could be there could be ships.
Speaker 4: You know, you follow the dolphins, right, Isn't that what you do to get to Catalina?
Speaker 8: You just follow the dolphins the pods that are out there.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, yeah, that's where they go to.
Speaker 5: Really fuck dude, there.
Speaker 2: Was I remember one time we were coming back and it was a it was like really foggy and you couldn't see and I didn't not I don't know how to really work my radar that well, so I'm just sort of going slow as ship and which is good. And then we came through a clearing and the fog had lifted just in this one like spot about the size of a football field, and there were this was a dolphin breeding ground or something. There was a thousand dolphins just it's just on the water, splishing and splashing. It was sick, dude. Yeah, so we might see cool stuff like that, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: I mean, I hate to say it. I think dolphins are really cool.
Speaker 5: Man. That's a cool animal, right there.
Speaker 2: You hate to say that.
Speaker 8: It's a controversial opinion.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, and is that it? You're just gonna let that lie there.
Speaker 3: It's not the most manly badass that animal to like, you know, dolphins are pretty damn cool.
Speaker 5: Dude, I'm on board.
Speaker 9: I do wonder if there is like a hardcore dolphin out there, you know what I mean, with like one eye that just.
Speaker 5: Fuck up a shark.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Like, why do dolphins have such like a sweet reputation over sharks.
Speaker 2: Well they don't. They're rapists. And we do know this, we all know this that they are rapists. Reputation, Well, yes, they have a reputation. Yeah, they are trying to rewrite their history for sure. Because if if a female is menstruating and they get in the water and.
Speaker 7: They human woman, a human, a human woman.
Speaker 2: And they get in the water, they smell the blood and then they get all horned up, these dolphins and they will fuck so science they're not just nice dudes.
Speaker 8: So well, that sounds like that's you, Adam as well. You could have just described you.
Speaker 9: I feel like, you know, I've heard several seasons together.
Speaker 2: You've heard you've heard the tails.
Speaker 9: I do think on the call sheet at Righteous Gemstones at the top, it would be like, if you're menstruating, don't come to set, Adam't Adam will be there today.
Speaker 7: Away from stay away from Adam's trailer, Like.
Speaker 5: It's that time. This thing is coming out.
Speaker 2: The wardrobe, girls are like, I can't deliver. I cannot deliver. Adam's throwing at the trail and you take them his pants whatever, insane eight thousand dollars poncho Adam has to wear today or.
Speaker 8: Somebody else has to deliver it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, I was, uh, you know, I was.
Speaker 5: I was preparing for this interview team.
Speaker 8: I don't believe that.
Speaker 5: I don't either.
Speaker 2: I've seen you on set. I know you don't prepare. And I was looking at some old photos of us shooting Gemstones and the wardrobes and the things that that you had us wear, and you really had us in some funny costume comedy. And thank you for that because because you know it gets it makes it a lot easier when they're gigging from the beginning.
Speaker 8: One hundred percent.
Speaker 4: Well, we always I've always felt that, like in a good comedy show, you should create characters that people can dress up as for Halloween.
Speaker 8: Yes, you got to push it, you, that was that was the thought process.
Speaker 4: You gotta you have to be potential Halloween costumes with every episode.
Speaker 5: Right dude. That is cute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I feel like there were a lot of gemstones there for a while we're out and about. I love it. I love to see it. What would you say, is your number one out of all of your characters, because you have some iconic, iconic characters, is the number one Halloween?
Speaker 5: Probably Kenny Powers?
Speaker 2: Right? Is that number one?
Speaker 8: Kenny Powers?
Speaker 4: You get a lot, You still get a lot, But I think the effort that people put into dressing up like Kenny Powers has gotten less and less. Now it would just be somebody with just like a fucking rug on their heads, just.
Speaker 9: Like, dude, this is a mullet and wrap round shades and then like a baseball jersey.
Speaker 5: Yeah, still in your work uniform.
Speaker 2: Also, like mullets are kind of back, so it's just like a guy now, a guy who's just like say back, they're back.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I feel like they're prominent for the first time. Yeah, okay, sure.
Speaker 9: I think they've made like mainstream prominence for the first time.
Speaker 5: They're actually cool.
Speaker 8: Everything comes back around.
Speaker 9: This to say, if a rat if people start wearing rat tails, right, I would never say those are back because they were never like prominent, prominent popcorn.
Speaker 3: Like of course, we've never had a like, we've never had a president with a rat tail.
Speaker 5: Is what you're saying at older than you, and I gotta disagree. There was thank you.
Speaker 8: Rocking those rattails and taking very seriously.
Speaker 2: Thank you Danny buy and large, and also we we differ with there's a lot when it comes to this because we were middle You know, dors.
Speaker 5: Is comes from a country club culture and they just didn't.
Speaker 2: He was popping collars. He had a collared he wore a collared shirt and he popped calls.
Speaker 9: We both blocked the sun off the neck, the mullet and the pop collar. It's one and the same.
Speaker 8: Now it does the same.
Speaker 5: We're outside, some of us are working, some of us are golfing. It's just different.
Speaker 4: I learned something just a few months ago that took me years to figure out. But a lot of times if a celebrity goes in public, what you do is you put a hat on to disguise yourself. And I was at jazz Fest and I was getting popped everywhere I went like, I got my hat on, I got everything. And then I looked in the mirror and realized the first time, like when I put the hat on, I look more like the character like people think. And I literally just took it away and then no one recognized.
Speaker 8: Was tipping people off.
Speaker 5: You gotta be careful with that.
Speaker 7: That is so funny.
Speaker 9: I thought about the same thing of the day like before, Like you're you're an actor and you're like really getting noticed and recognized places. You think other actors are wearing sunglasses so that they're not recognized, like indoors, right, But now I'm realizing actors wear sunglasses indoors so they can look around and not make eye contact with people, because as soon as you make eye contact with somebody, it invites them to go hey. Like, but if you can just look around, scan a room and not make eye contact.
Speaker 5: With anybody, people are a little less. They're like not.
Speaker 8: Maybe that guy's blind. I don't know if that's who.
Speaker 7: One thing about Jersey is he hates He hates the fans and.
Speaker 2: He does not want them to come over.
Speaker 7: He doesn't want them to come over, doesn't want them to say Hi.
Speaker 5: Absolutely listen to me. I'll go on the record.
Speaker 9: Fans, you've all had a pretty good experience with me.
Speaker 5: I said, Hi, I've been nice, I've been cool.
Speaker 6: Do I like it?
Speaker 9: That's not what we're talking about.
Speaker 5: Two different That's true.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 5: That's true, you've done.
Speaker 2: Do you have any, because we've had some fans, uh that have had some like pretty crazy tattoos of us on different parts of their bodies. Have you had any, you know, inner thigh, you.
Speaker 5: Know, characters of yourself?
Speaker 8: I definitely have had.
Speaker 4: I've seen I saw I'm tattooed on a man's ass in North Carolina.
Speaker 8: I was at a brewery and he showed it to me right on the left cheek.
Speaker 4: Yep, Okay, I've seen my I've seen an image of Kenny on a calf before, not a not a young cow, but on a man's cat.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 5: Come look at my farm, dude. That kind of lets me down.
Speaker 2: I was picturing a cow, and now I'm yeah, we were all pretty confused there for a second. Takes are clarified.
Speaker 5: That's the first place our mind goes livestock. Actually, that would be I mean, is.
Speaker 2: There like some weirdo farmer tattoo artists that's just like tat it up their cows just to just to practice, well.
Speaker 3: They practice on dead pigs. They do it on dead pigs. That's how you learn how to tack.
Speaker 8: Wow, that's a good But that's a good place to practice.
Speaker 5: No, it's not.
Speaker 9: A new practice is on dead pigs.
Speaker 8: To them and then you serve them up for lunch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right. You have the most badass hot dog out of that. Dude.
Speaker 9: The only person I know who's done, who's become or thought about becoming a tattoo artist. They just did it on their own legs, like above the shorts.
Speaker 3: If they had a friend in the butcher business, they would know. You can buy a pig and you can tattoo dead pigskin.
Speaker 2: Now, you used to work in a butchery, blake, So is this firsthand knowledge you had, Like, No, these guys are sucking the pigs.
Speaker 5: Oh, adam, adam, thank you, adam, thank you.
Speaker 2: You're selling these whole dead pigs.
Speaker 7: These guys just say I'm just gonna tattoo.
Speaker 5: It could be you can fuck them, you can tattoo them, you can do.
Speaker 2: What you want.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be a loo out.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of things you could do with a whole dead pig besides fuck the thing.
Speaker 5: Dude.
Speaker 2: By the way, there's not a lot of things.
Speaker 5: You can eat them.
Speaker 2: You can cook them and eat them.
Speaker 5: You can eat them, and you can.
Speaker 3: Tattoo them them.
Speaker 5: You know what else?
Speaker 7: You can use them as Halloween decorations.
Speaker 3: My uncle used to put pig heads outside of his house during Halloween.
Speaker 7: He was a butcher and grow.
Speaker 8: Up where.
Speaker 5: With Blake's uncle we used to sell.
Speaker 7: Yeah those are cool uncles, right, Uh yeah.
Speaker 9: I kind of have like a little short story to tee up something that I think is very cool.
Speaker 5: Okay. I had no internet for like four days.
Speaker 9: It was a total fucking nightmare, right, Sorry, So the kids are like, how can we do anything. I'm like, We're gonna break out the DVDs. We're gonna watch some DVDs. So I go into my like DVD closet and I'm super excited, and you.
Speaker 5: Know what I find in there? Let'd you find? What is it? Hang on?
Speaker 2: Ready, foot fist way, foot fist way, Oh, a copy?
Speaker 5: You're under arrest.
Speaker 8: The original distribution company.
Speaker 9: Is from a friend who got it from an agent at CIA ICM ICM.
Speaker 5: Maybe.
Speaker 9: I don't know what it was twenty years ago when it just had come out and was just getting passed around LA and I watched it and I laughed so hard and I went straight to the guy's house the next.
Speaker 5: Day at like nine or ten am early.
Speaker 9: And I put it in the DVD player and I said, we're all watching this now, and I think I stood up for the first half hour.
Speaker 3: We're like, you watched it standing up. He watched it like this, He watched half watching it, half watching us. No, it was a very impactful film for us.
Speaker 2: That was a formative moment for the three of us.
Speaker 3: That was like a north star for us seeing that and being like, Wow, there's people out here doing this and.
Speaker 9: That you guys made it for nothing and you just fucking did it and you did your comedy.
Speaker 2: We had writing sessions every Wednesday, I think, and we would write something on Wednesday and then we'd try to shoot it that weekend. And that's when we were first starting out, and it was our writing session Wednesday. And I'm a little butt hurt at durs because instead of writing, we're like just going to watch this movie. And I'm like, shouldn't we like be Yeah, Adam loves writing, Yeah, I love it. Well no, I mean, I was like, well, let's let's work so we can shoot something this weekend. But he's like, now we're going to watch this movie and I'm like all right, And then it was. We were fucking floored and it you know, you didn't make it for a lot of money, and it felt fresh and it felt original.
Speaker 5: It's a very specific voice.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and it also made it And I think i've I've told you before if you haven't seen Footpast Way, people at home watch it to watch it now. It's a true banger. And we watched it and it it hit so close to home for us in a way that we were like, oh, we can make comedies ourselves, in the way that it felt like you guys felt like the same kind of friend group that we were Unlike like Will Ferrell, who we love and idolized, but he does these big characters and we didn't even though it's obviously a character that you're doing, but his characters are so like wacky and SNL type characters that we were like, oh, we can't do that, But this this feels something like we could.
Speaker 7: We could do something in this world. And that's awesome.
Speaker 4: That's so cool that you guys found it and you liked I mean, you know, we were taking a complete obvious risk like doing it. We didn't have any idea if it would work or not. We had just been out in LA for enough time that it was you know, we wanted to just do something, and you know, we went to South North Johina and made this thing. And you know, it's funny because at that time, like you were saying, how it wasn't like will we were you know, even when we made that, we were imagining just making some dark, strange, fucked up comedy. And I think even though it got passed around town, I don't think the distributors didn't really have any idea what to do with it. They started testing the movie and they would get the audience to come in based on like, if you like Dodgeball, you'll like this. And I like Dodgeball, but I don't necessarily know if you like Dodgeball you will like the.
Speaker 5: Right checking off different boxes.
Speaker 4: But I think I protested at like maybe like a twenty six or something like he completely like the audience. Yeah, sure, the audience in Burbank was not sure what to do with it, and because of that, it sat.
Speaker 8: Around for several years.
Speaker 4: They waited until like Pineapple Express and Tropic Thunder came out before they released it for real.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, yeah, I know, I think like it was almost like a we felt like we were like on the inside because like you know, when you started to get like more major success and like can Powers appears and he's bounding down and people are like, oh my god, It's like, no, bro, we've been on this train, on this train, we knew this was gonna be good.
Speaker 5: Yeah it was. It was you like Foo Fighters. You should check out this span Nirvana. Yeah, a pretty deep cut.
Speaker 2: He heard of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was awesome.
Speaker 7: But I think even speaking to what Adam was saying about, like the.
Speaker 3: Way you your characters, you know, even though they are in some ways larger to life, they are also so real and so flawed, and like the comedy doesn't just come from like these you know, really gigantic swings. It comes from like the oh shit, like I have a friend just like that, or like you know, it's just like the the the humanism of it, if that's a word.
Speaker 7: I have a real piece of shit friend, like Kenny Powers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I loved so much about Specifically Kenny is like he was such a piece of shit and even and you're like, oh, here's a moment he's going to redeem himself and then he just didn't.
Speaker 5: I mean and if we can, can we set uh?
Speaker 3: You know, we know you as an actor a director, but now you have entered a whole new realm of of smartness.
Speaker 7: We can now call you an author.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you have to actually call me a New York Times best.
Speaker 2: Selling suck our dicks R. L Stein.
Speaker 3: Danny McBride has released a new book that's wild.
Speaker 5: Congratulations.
Speaker 7: Yes, that is fucking cool, dude.
Speaker 3: But I think even in you know this, this book is a collection of you know, like tales, short stories like anthology got this, yeah, And even in reading them, all those words together, all those characters that you you put on the screen, like when you read these stories, those characters are in this book as well, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does. It really comes to life and every one of them, every one of the short stories that you're like, is this. Do you have any plans on making this into an anthology series.
Speaker 7: Or because you could see this on HBO.
Speaker 3: And gentle Thrilling Tales of Modern Men. Let's name the book for those who are listening.
Speaker 2: Thrilling Tales of Modern Men. Yeah, yea, for those that are listening, And any plans for that or not?
Speaker 4: You know, I don't. I don't as of now, I didn't. I didn't when I wrote it, and I didn't have any specific plans, Like I wanted the book to feel exactly how you all are describing it, where if there was a fan of mine who've watched any of the shows I've made, that they could pick this up and it would feel like it was an extension of that stuff, that it was those sort of characters, that sort of comedy, that sort of you know, that kind of genre bending, of like being silly and then trying to find some kind of pathos or some kind of like weird or deeper energy to it that you would find that in a just a different format. And so I think in order to do it, I did have to not think of these things as like, oh, I'm going to make this into a movie or this and TV show. I really just wanted to try to make them survive as this now since it's done.
Speaker 8: I mean, honestly, it's.
Speaker 4: Like Adam, you came in and read the audiobook that we did the audiobook for it, which.
Speaker 8: Was a blast.
Speaker 4: I mean that was Sadam came in and crushed and Eric Andre and Edie Patterson Goodman, a bunch.
Speaker 5: Of people the courting ast is crazy.
Speaker 4: It was awesome to uh, to hear the stories read and performed. It did for the after for the first time, it was like, maybe we should do something with this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, Adam, which one did you do? Fun Run? I believe I did fun Run. Oh that's the one I read Fun Run?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, it's it's oh man, it's it's it's really cool, like and even in like, you know, because I've read some pages and then I've been listening to the Auto audio book too, because how could you not The cast is amazing and all that, but like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it truly was the I like to listen to audio books, and actually you got me into that quite a bit on this set of Gemstones, because sometimes you'd be driving in it's like an hour drive.
Speaker 7: Some some morning standy big brother.
Speaker 2: He totally and he's like, maybe listen to an audio book.
Speaker 4: I was like, stop listening to this pop music, dude, Yeah, educate yourself.
Speaker 5: You have to get smarter.
Speaker 2: Yes, you've been listening to too much, Sabrina Carpenter.
Speaker 3: You're stumbling at table reads like it's not good.
Speaker 5: Dude, let me help you.
Speaker 2: Luckily we didn't have table Reads Uh, we didn't.
Speaker 7: Do that ship, so thank How do you say this work?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And I would listen to a lot on the way in, but this was It's so fun because every every story there's a new someone new is narrating it. And I mean, it's fucking Stergel Simpson. I think is in here?
Speaker 7: Shay Wigham?
Speaker 5: Is he in here?
Speaker 9: Is?
Speaker 2: Did I hear Shay's voice?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Yeah, this is there.
Speaker 2: There's some stunners eighties great. Uh And then John is like obviously I was. I was driving back. I went to uh the Colorado River this past weekend with with my friend.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: My friend has a house up there, and we took our family up there. And on the way back, I was like, oh, I should listen to the audiobook And my son is watching on the on the back in the back seat, he's watching Monsters Inc. Which is John Goodman's voice. And then I'm listening to the robo Robocare. Is that the name of the Robocare? Yeah, Robocare. I'm listening to Robocare And it was just dueling. John Goodman's in my car, just going toe to toe.
Speaker 8: Heure Monsters Inc.
Speaker 5: Probably yeah, yeah. He goes off on Michael Chowski.
Speaker 3: Yeah, dude, it's really cool, especially like Right Out the Gate, because you are in the audiobook and we're going to reference that because we don't rea that much.
Speaker 5: But like I was like, oh boy, here we go.
Speaker 3: Right out the Gate, Right Out the Gate, the the Illusionist one. It's just like when you are reading it, it's like I felt like almost I was hearkening back to like when I would listen into like Adam Sandler's like they're all gonna laugh at you because they almost it almost it's so visual, it becomes so real in your mind and you're you're laughing along with it, and it's just like, I don't know, it just felt like it really unlocked, like this new thing to me.
Speaker 5: Like reading Danny, Thank You.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna start getting into books, says.
Speaker 2: Well, he's gonna he's gonna dust stuff off those Goosebumps books that he has on the shelves.
Speaker 3: Hey, I already took urs recommendation. I read The Western Game. I don't know if you're familiar. It's a ya novel. It's pretty good, man, it's wonderful.
Speaker 4: That was that's a big one too, probably a lot of big words in it.
Speaker 8: That's good.
Speaker 5: Wow, hearkening was the big word. And that's no that circled right here. I knew I was gonna drop that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's your word of the day.
Speaker 3: What were your kind of like influences growing up, like books that you enjoyed as like a youth or even like influence dude, would you say, you.
Speaker 4: Know, when I was a kid, I really liked Stephen King, I would I was like Clyde Bark, I was really into horror when I was a kid.
Speaker 8: I felt like that, you know, you.
Speaker 4: Would get assign things to read at school and I just felt like reading was boring, but those horror stories would just keep me wanting.
Speaker 8: To find out what happened.
Speaker 4: And I just liked horror as a genre, so that was like an easy way in for me.
Speaker 8: And but it's funny.
Speaker 4: It's like it's reading something that I'll constantly come back to. Like There'll be times where I'm very prolific and reading a ton, and then there's other times where, like a year goes by and I've read like one thing, but I try to just keep up with it. And every time I am in the middle of like you know, being on a binge or just reading one book after the next, I.
Speaker 8: Always tend to be happier, Like it always feels.
Speaker 4: Like I'm not as antsy, I'm not as out. There's something cool about being able to get lost in the story, and I think that was happening for me enough that I was like, this is an art form that I would like to be able to crack into, and even like what you guys said, it's like to appeal to people who maybe not normally would pick up a book and do this, and felt like that was also part of what could be fun about this. And you know, whether it's the audiobook or the written book, I think all of it just to find a different art form, a way to kind of convey your comedy or tell a story that you know, that's what was fun about doing it is there were zero gatekeepers with it, you know.
Speaker 8: I remember I.
Speaker 4: Was so used to it with us working with HBO, and not that HBO is bad with notes, but just anyone who's investing money and what you're doing has thoughts on what your choices are, you know, and it just becomes a part of creating where you're constantly like.
Speaker 8: I love this, what are they going to hate about it?
Speaker 9: You know?
Speaker 4: You're constantly are ready to have someone you know tell you to change the parts you like the most. And with this I realized that that does not exist, like they'll give you suggests, but ultimately your name's on it.
Speaker 8: You just do whatever you want to do at the end of the day. And that was cool.
Speaker 4: I was like, that's you know, especially for comedy, to know at the end of the day that it's just you and you can tell anyone to fuck off at the end of the day is great power.
Speaker 2: And you did that a lot with the people at the Penguin Yeah, fuck off.
Speaker 3: Look, because they're the people were working on books, their nerds.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you could. You could beat their.
Speaker 4: Ass whenever they didn't like stuff. I got real internal. I was like, oh god, no, no.
Speaker 2: And they read a lot of books, funking that a lot actually, because I uh, listen to the one that Gillis Shane read, The hair one Institute of Men, Institute of Men, Yes, and that one was such a trip And I'm like, oh, you couldn't have or it would have been very difficult in time consuming and costly to shoot that if it were a if it were filmed, and and I'm like, it's so cool that you can read it and you could just let your imagination fly and and you know, you can create something in your in your head and imagination without having to see it. And and it made me go, man, I gotta I gotta read more. But Danny, truly, Danny truly, you're such an inspiration for me. You're the best boss I've ever had. And I've I'm not I'm not sucking anything. I'm not sucking anything. I'm not sucking anything. It's being a nice person, isn't sucking comments. No, I'm not sucking.
Speaker 5: As men, we can compliment each other, compliment each other.
Speaker 2: You don't need to, you don't need to get uncomfortable because I'm complimenting. But and I mean, you're the best boss I ever had. And we were our own bosses, and you were much better than we were. But it was such an inspiration because he would come in just set in the morning and it's like five six o'clock in the morning, and he would sometimes be reading a book. He'd be talking about a book he just read, or he'd be like passing a book to someone that was like, Oh, here's this book we talked about, you know, read this.
Speaker 5: He gave me Clifford.
Speaker 9: This whole book revelation thing is so sad, dude, Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 5: I read a book. It changed everything.
Speaker 9: I used to see you with books and I thought those are books.
Speaker 5: However, you're not.
Speaker 2: You're not wrong, You're not wrong, it is said. But this goes for all of us, because I know the three of us, we're not reading books.
Speaker 9: Danny, I'm on this. I was just gonna say I'm on the same track as you as far as like school. As a kid, they were like, we need to read this, and I was like, I'll read Stephen King or I'm not going to do it, and the teachers were like, Jesus Christ.
Speaker 5: Fine.
Speaker 9: Now, I don't know how much of the Stephen King I absorbed, but I think that you might be thrilled to hear this is the kind of thing that like a kid who was you will be reading.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 9: That's what I hope they're gonna tell a teacher I'm not reading around the world in eighty days or whatever the fuck it is.
Speaker 5: I'll read this, and they'll go, you know what, whatever it takes.
Speaker 9: And then when they grow up and they're in their forties, they won't be talking about books.
Speaker 7: Dude, Well, what's you know.
Speaker 3: What's genius about it being a collection of like short stories is as a super dumb bro like, I look at that and I go, oh shit, this is a there's a big one.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I won't do that. There's a lot of pigs in there, Dude. You can you can just chip off one short story. It's just that. Man, that's it.
Speaker 8: Easy in any order you want. You don't even have to read them in order.
Speaker 3: Wild man, dude, it's it's it's a brilliant move by you.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 5: I think you really hooked the dumb guys on this one. I like that.
Speaker 2: So beyond beyond like your inspirations as far as books and stuff go, what do you have inspiration? Because I know you didn't come at comedy in the way that we did, where we were like, we're comedians, this is kind of what we want to do, and we want to be in the comedy lane. You sort of came at it as you wanted to be a director first. And did you want to be a director of comedy or did you want to do horror or did you kind of always know you want to do do comedy?
Speaker 5: You know, It's funny because when I was I went to film school.
Speaker 4: That's where I met Jody Hill and David Green and John Caturing, all these guys that I work with now.
Speaker 2: J John John wrote for us on Workaholics.
Speaker 8: First he did.
Speaker 4: He came back singing y'all's praises too. Yeah, we had a we had a like treat him better after.
Speaker 8: He came back.
Speaker 4: They met me racing go carts in the fucking warehouse. We gotta we gotta get go carts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a lot of non working doing at our You guys might have worked a little more. We're like, yeah, should we play three hours of ping pong instead of finishing this?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: But we we never You know what's funny is that I never really looked at that stories like just in terms of like genre of like it's horror, is it comedy? We were just wanting to tell stories and make shit that we hadn't seen before.
Speaker 8: And then I think.
Speaker 4: Because we like what bonds a lot of us, you know, is that you know, we joke around a lot and we make each other laugh.
Speaker 8: And I think that that inevitably.
Speaker 4: Just like got into the stuff we do together because we're constantly just trying to make each other laugh. Probably not indifferent from how you guys work, but we were always approaching.
Speaker 8: Them, even the dumbest ones, as if it was a drama.
Speaker 4: You know, like we're approaching foot this way, We're approaching it like this is a serious you know.
Speaker 5: This is this guy right, there's a taxi driver.
Speaker 8: Not as important to this guy is what's going on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it felt like once we started doing that, it made all of the shit funnier because it was like, oh, if this the tone of this is like trying to take this guy's like stupid stuff that's happening in karate school like this seriously, you know that it's like his whole life is falling apart. It just made the stakes of it really funny us. And so then we just kind of started you know, that was we kind of were learning it as we went along. That that was our tone was just to sort of take the absurd and make it completely serious, play it straight, and and you could make you could have i don't know, some pretty strange moments by doing it that way.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's what that's what keeps I think all of us as your audience members like super engaged, like even in the book, like all the stories, the Steaks are fucking high, dude, and but they they do have those those those moments that that's what makes you laugh.
Speaker 5: It's almost a nervous laughter, like what the fuck?
Speaker 3: Like how is that his response to such a serious situation. That's like, I don't know, I think that's what you've really really mastered.
Speaker 5: Man, I commend you, Oh thank you.
Speaker 9: Do you think the uh, the comedy boom of the two thousands kind of steered you?
Speaker 4: You know, it felt like, you know, I remember when we were shooting the foot this way. It was the same with like we saw wedding crashers. I think while we were shooting, you know, and I remember seeing like, oh, this is working. That's amazing that, like people are going to see our rated comedies again, because you know, the eighties obviously they had lots of R rated comedy. And then going to film school in the nineties, I remember us like looking to each other saying like, man, they just don't really make comedies for adults anymore, like everything is really like young based, and so.
Speaker 8: I think and that was for a while.
Speaker 4: So I think once we got there and it was seeing that like, oh, this stuff is actually working.
Speaker 8: It's like rated our stuff.
Speaker 4: I think we were just really grateful that we were coming out with something that was in that same genre. And then of course, like you guys know, that time period in Hollywood was so much fun. I mean it was the idea of like you're going you know, there's all these different camps of people doing comedy and I remember going to like the bar at premiere and it was just like Will Ferrell's there with a fucking cowboy hat on it all.
Speaker 8: I mean, it was it was awesome. It was kind of what you had.
Speaker 4: Hoped Hollywood was going to be when you were a kid, and it was like several years of it just it was just legitimately fun and it was fun to meet all of you guys and all these different characters that all were doing their own stuff. And yeah, it was a pretty awesome time in Hollywood.
Speaker 2: I think I feel like we were hit. We got in right at the last gasp of that, and it was like we were like right on the outside just sort of looking in and we got in.
Speaker 5: We got a whiff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got our little until Hollywood goes, nah, we're not doing that no more. But it is nice to hear. Like, yeah, in the eighties they did it a lot. In the nineties, you know, the R rated comedies sort of cooled off, and then it picked back up in the early two thousands, and then now we've we've been in a fifteen year drought.
Speaker 5: But now the news is the funniest thing on the air.
Speaker 2: I tell yeah, I tell you what.
Speaker 5: You can't make this stuff up? Well, it was.
Speaker 3: It was cool because there were all these camps, but we were really trying to like push it to the limit, like come up with the craziest set pieces and like you know, like have.
Speaker 5: The craziest like evil main characters and all that.
Speaker 3: It was really fun to be like, what is the wildest thing you can think of? And sometimes it was extremely offensive, and now looking back on some of it, you're like, well, Okay, maybe we pushed a little too.
Speaker 2: Far, but you're right, like all that black face that you used to do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I definitely think of one thing that I've reader, Well.
Speaker 7: The Blake is all that black face as that would you know?
Speaker 5: That released the.
Speaker 2: Tape Todd released the tape My solo project, My solo project that was just at Blake's private parties on Epstein Island.
Speaker 9: You know it was only when you fucked that woman off of the high dive forcefully.
Speaker 5: I think I.
Speaker 2: Remember pitching to see you.
Speaker 5: I think I remember pitching saying it happens by accident. I did do I did I did do that.
Speaker 2: In an episode, it was like a flashback episode of us in college and I'm having sex with some girls. Virgin right, I'm a virgin. I'm losing my virginity on a hide and I thrust her off the top of the and she belly flops. I'm like, sorry, Yeah, we might not have done that.
Speaker 5: I don't think you said sorry. I think you go.
Speaker 9: I think I was trying to pitch that you do say sorry, And I don't know if it's in the cut.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, you're the good guy. Come on.
Speaker 7: We might not run that exactly back.
Speaker 3: But but it was cool because there were all those comedy camps, and I feel like we were all just trying to almost like make each other laugh or be like, oh man, I can't believe they did that over there, And totally yeah, it was a really special time for sure.
Speaker 4: It also kind of felt too that, you know, with television, you know, obviously I think I find the stuff that's so specific to be the funniest, you know, like I tend to I tend to last less less at broader things.
Speaker 8: Not to say that that ship's not funny too.
Speaker 4: But I I really get tickled when I see something that's really specific and uh and even one.
Speaker 5: Here, we get it. You hate Dodgeball, dude, come on, leave them alone.
Speaker 4: I love I love it so much, But it felt that like that kind of stuff, if you were trying to navigate that in the studio world, it was more difficult because, like how our movie tested out of twenty six, like, you can have people who have good taste to respond to it, but it might not be what the masses respond to. And I think that, like when TV came around, it became popular and was willing to invest those people. I think that became like a safer ground for if you wanted to make strange comedy you did everything didn't matter if like everyone showed up the first twenty four hours. It came out like you can be weird, you can come on every week and fucking people can wait to the second season and even figure out what you're doing, and then it just kind of.
Speaker 8: You know, I don't know. It felt like you could take.
Speaker 4: More chances and I love that that hat with TV, but you do kind of hope that people will get some backbone and do it in theatrical again.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, well hopefully it loops back around.
Speaker 2: I remember being like why and you were just so smart in doing it, Like why didn't you after foot Fast Way just start churning out our rated comedies theatrically? But then you went and did I'm sure everyone was like, why aren't you doing another movie? And then you went and did Eastbound and down at HBO.
Speaker 5: What was that like?
Speaker 7: Were your agents like, yo, dude, come out.
Speaker 2: With an R rated comedy, like like we're in the middle of.
Speaker 5: The boom times, baby?
Speaker 4: They all, even Will and Adam were kind of curious of why we wanted to do it as a TV show and not as a movie, And you know, for us, it was it was it was kind of the experience we went through with foot Fists. We were like, well, we know we're gonna make something. It's gonna get put into this meat grinder and it doesn't like hit these benchmarks with the test audience in Burbank. You people out there the study is gonna lose interest in promoting it. And plus at that time too, it's like, I don't know, Especially with comedies, it's easy for comedies that have to fit into an hour and a half.
Speaker 8: To become really formulaic.
Speaker 4: You know, this is where you meet the guy, this is where something goes wrong, this is where he thinks he's gonna lose, this is where he wins, this is where he gets to that like, you.
Speaker 8: Know, write that down. That's all they know. That's up to you.
Speaker 5: It felt like with TV that first season.
Speaker 4: Of Eastbound was three hours, and we're like, listen, we could make this different by even just not trying to fill the story in an hour and a half. If we can just fill it in three hours, we could do way weirder shit and we can have it be a little bit more unexpected. But obviously nobody was going to let us make a three hour theatrical movie, and so that was just our mindset with that first season.
Speaker 8: We never knew if that show was going to work, if anyone would ever do it again.
Speaker 4: It was just our way of making a follow up to foot Fist that would be as like epic as The Godfather, but just take place in Shelby, North Carolina, and so that was our idea of why I want to go into that was just and that was even for doing the short seasons. You know, at that point, there was nobody in the States that was making shows that were only six episodes like that was still like HBO was still I think thirteen episodes or twelve with the lowest, and then obviously Network was long was bigger than that. So even when we got picked up, they wanted us to do like thirteen episodes and we said no, that we just wanted to do six.
Speaker 8: We were tripping off of like the British.
Speaker 4: Office and seeing how like that stuff was so short and there was no waste. It was all just storytelling. And I also had this idea, I'm like, I want the season to be something that theoretically someone could watch in one sitting, like I don't I want this it could be digested like on one night, like I don't want it to be something that people have to take multiple days to get through this one season. And so that was sort of our way of riding like it making it feel like it's a movie even though it was a TV show, was just not making the seasons too long where you couldn't theoretically knock it out on one like hungover Saturday Morning.
Speaker 2: Well fucking good for you, dude, because I mean at that point you probably you didn't have any money, so this episode.
Speaker 7: To be like I want to make less money.
Speaker 5: Yeah, your.
Speaker 2: Because the second they were like, we'll give you more money if you do more episodes, we were like, we will do twenty episodes season three absolutely, and we did, and we almost fucking killed ourselves. That was the worst year.
Speaker 8: Brutal TV is hard, though, isn't it.
Speaker 4: I mean, you guys know it's like, you know, the more episodes you do, it like it is and you get paid well, but it is, uh, you know, there's nothing harder than writing a TV show. I think it's like now, you know, you write a movie, and even like this book, you write something and you get to go to the next step once it's finished.
Speaker 8: Like this book gets published once the book's done.
Speaker 4: A movie gets made once the script is done, and everyone signs off on it. TV, the fucking train is coming, you know, Like you're sitting here answering questions while you're trying to figure out what the hell you're gonna still do with it and a production office is opening it just it adds this whole layer of stress that can be exhilarating and fun. But it also is a totally different experience writing than writing in other formats.
Speaker 9: I think I like it because this there's no like pondering on the script and wondering, like it's like we got to move, we got to film this, Like well can we beat this?
Speaker 5: It's like we did it, we said, we thought about it, let's go make it. We'll get on set, we'll make it funny. I don't know.
Speaker 9: I think sometimes when there's like a movie, there's like this, there's this time that they preciousness.
Speaker 5: Yeah, where they're like I don't know, and you're like, well then we'll never know. We'll never know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess, like Danny, like you, I mean, especially like upon reading the book and having all these like different stories, do you find joy in like creating a whole new environment, a whole new character, a whole new thing to dive into, Like where do you start? Do you start with your characters or do you have like an idea like oh, like robocare, Like I want a robot that comes over and takes care of an old man, like where do you Where do you get your inspiration for all your story?
Speaker 4: Sometimes it will be like an idea for a character you know, or a situation like that, you know, like oh, a robot you know nurse or a robot you know caretaker. Or sometimes it might even be like just a scene or an image of like, oh, what would be the story around that. With these stories, it was pretty fun because again there was no there was no pressure on any of it.
Speaker 8: It was the book ultimately was just gonna be whatever I wanted it to be.
Speaker 4: So I would be very selfish in the writing of it, where I mean, I wrote a lot of stuff that I didn't put in here, but I would just follow whatever was making me laugh or whatever was making me want to come back and keep working on it.
Speaker 8: And I got down the road on a lot of.
Speaker 4: Stories that I that I you know, some of them, I complete it, but really far into them, and I just kind of lost the spark for him and just you know, shelved them. And that was kind of nice to be able to do that, to kind of know that you just could follow the ones that you really liked, and that if there was something that was becoming too much of a puzzle.
Speaker 8: You could just throw it out. Throw it out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was cool.
Speaker 2: So you would were I mean, did you write this like over the course of the last few years and you would just sort of tinker with it in your off time and then come back to it when you had a little more time in between shooting Gemstone.
Speaker 8: Yeah, a few of them.
Speaker 4: A few of the stories in there were things I had kind of like I had kind of like worked on between seasons the Gemstones, but then once Gemstones rapped, it's what I went into sort of full time. So it's what I worked on all last year. And then once I got into it that way, a lot of the earlier stuff I wrote, I just felt like it wasn't up to stuff. So I kind of ended up going through and writing the bulk of that book like last year after we wrapped Gemstones, which ended up being kind of therapeutic because Gemstones was so much fun.
Speaker 8: To work on.
Speaker 4: I loved it, Adam, as you know, we had a blast on it. But you know, I worked on it for seven years. And so even when you write and you're writing something that involves the same characters, the same world, your brain just gets trained to look at stories through those characters' eyes, and so it becomes hard to commit to another big story without it feeling like it's just like a replicant or something of what you just worked on. So these short stories ended up being a really awesome way to do that because you could just jump from short short of short story and just sort of like follow what was new and not feel like you were having to commit suddenly to a new TV show that you're going to have to love the characters as much as the ones you just finished writing for. You could you know, you can suck around a little bit like you're getting over a.
Speaker 8: You know, a long term relationship.
Speaker 10: Okay, yeah, yeah, this is this was your right here this Yeah, this is your industry dick pic man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, really, Tales of Motterman is Danny mcgride's dick pic Beautiful beautiful.
Speaker 9: Wait, so you jumped into this right after seven seasons of a show, So I guess my question.
Speaker 7: Is like four season seven years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had strikes, we had COVID, we had a lot of there was a lot of natural calamities happened.
Speaker 7: We had a lot of ups, ups and downs, and.
Speaker 5: We don't need to get into how COVID started, whether it should be.
Speaker 4: Out of those how it started in shem Creek here in Charnson, South Carolina.
Speaker 9: Right, Well, fu in a bar, Matuck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at a bar matt at Big Rid.
Speaker 5: What's what's your like work life balance? Do you have? Uh? Do you have shit you like to do to just chill?
Speaker 8: I do you or.
Speaker 9: Does your mind always go and you're like, well, I'm all write, or I'll go be on a movie and act a little bit or produce something, or do you just let you fucking row a boat?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Do you want to come on? Took Catalina with us.
Speaker 4: You know that that was something that I felt like when I moved to Charleston, and that's what I was looking for a little bit. Is in LA I really had a hard time finding what my fucking hobbies were. Like, I felt like every so work oriented.
Speaker 2: Well you drive down the street and there's just billboards of of everyone's movies and TV shows and you're like, kind of, yeah, I should.
Speaker 8: Everything is telling you to get to work.
Speaker 5: There's a fomositch, yeah, yeah, why am I not doing something?
Speaker 4: And Charleston just felt like I don't know. I mean Adam, you spent considered amount of time here. I mean you can just sit out in the back porch and look at the water. You can get on a bike and ride around, and not that you can't do that stuff in La, but I don't know. It just became easier to shut things off and to kind of find other ways to occupy your time.
Speaker 8: I mean I like working.
Speaker 4: I like doing what we do, so there is a sense of me that I always kind of am working on something, but not because I feel like I have to.
Speaker 8: I just I just like it. I I enjoy doing it.
Speaker 2: Well, dude, I think we could talk about it because I saw it.
Speaker 5: I read the Trades and.
Speaker 2: I saw it. It just came out that you wrote and are going to direct the new GI.
Speaker 8: Joe Dude Joe Yo Joe.
Speaker 3: Dude, which okay, So yeah, are you are you because I G I Joe is mentioned in the book?
Speaker 7: I remember that, like you were talking about all their needs.
Speaker 3: Then are you are you pretty entrenched in G I Joe lore or like, how how are we feeling about that?
Speaker 8: You know, I grew up playing G I Joe.
Speaker 4: It was you know, that shit was was massive when we were kids, and you know, the comic books were on were obviously awesome.
Speaker 8: The cartoon show was awesome.
Speaker 4: There's a channel on YouTube that is just twenty four hours g I Joe episodes or just streaming. Yeah, it's just streaming. I like that because you don't have to make the choices. It's just turned on.
Speaker 2: That's cool.
Speaker 8: There's an episode playing, but it takes you back. It does that.
Speaker 4: The soundtrack, those voices, the colors, it's all these it's so cool.
Speaker 8: The voices are crazy, right, I mean it like.
Speaker 9: That Stroe's voice is crazy. Cobra Commander sounds insane.
Speaker 3: Oh dude, there's some of the best voice actors for sure. It's also just cool to see like the character creation or like, so what different what makes Roadblock different? It's like, well, everything he says, he rhymes. It's like, okay, we're going with that.
Speaker 8: Okay, we like that. That's enough.
Speaker 2: So for something like this is it Is it going to be funny? Are you going to put that the comedy spirit in into this or is it going to be a straight ahead action film or or what?
Speaker 4: I think it'll be about as funny as maybe Predator is. You know, like I think that there there there will. There's no way that we can turn it off totally. These characters, I think will you know, some of them will make you laugh. But the movie itself is not handled like it's a comedy. You know, we're not We're not like making fun of G I.
Speaker 8: Joe.
Speaker 4: Or we're not like you know, winking to the audience, or you know, just even playing into nostalgia. Like you know, John Concurry and Jeff Bradley who wrote on Gemstones with me and helped run that show. I wrote, this is what we all worked on together after Gemstones, and we really just wanted to write like something that kind of grounds that concept.
Speaker 8: Of G I.
Speaker 4: Joe as much as you can without like taking out what's fun about it, without getting rid of like how incredible Cobra is and you know, and all of these different characters, and you know, just utilizing what we liked about it, but trying to figure out a way to like introduce it to a new generation of people, and to introduce it in a way where you could root for these people and you can be invested in it. And I think by us kind of making it like a kind of a thriller action you know, movie set in Suburbia. It's just I don't know everything about it just started to work for us conceptually, and we've had a blast writing it.
Speaker 8: And it was one of those.
Speaker 4: Experiences where we so I sold the pitch to it, and you know, I talked to Fradley and John and I said, listen, there's gonna be a lot of hoops to jump through with doing something like this, Like we're gonna have to get through Paramount, We're gonna have to get through Hasbro. We have no experience doing something of this magnitude. So I was like, I just want to skip outlines and all of it. Like, let's just quietly write this entire script while they're taking forever to get our contracts together, and the day that we signed the contracts and we have our first meeting, let's just drop a script on them that day. And that's exactly what we did. We just were we were like, let's just because we know from TV it's such a waste of time to do outlines. I mean, we'll sit there and fucking give notes about an outline and then we start writing the script and the outline goes completely out the door because you start realizing what really does work the moment you start writing it.
Speaker 8: So that's what we did. We wrote this script and just threw.
Speaker 5: It through the window. We're like, yo, Joe.
Speaker 8: We airlifted in. And you know, afterwards it was.
Speaker 4: Sort of like, oh, that was a bold move, because if they if they were like totally not into it, it'd been like these fucking nerds, like, no, dude, you gotta give us, you gotta tell us what you're doing.
Speaker 8: You can't just do.
Speaker 5: It like this.
Speaker 8: But their response was awesome.
Speaker 4: I think that like we felt really confident in what we sent in and then their response was was met with equal enthusiasm, and so I think between Paramount and us, we just really saw the potential for what this could be. And it doesn't mean that that first draft is like, you know, set in stone. We've been like working and working on it to just make it better. But we felt like it was a better place to start the conversation with something that's this ambitious, to just be like, this is what we're trying to do, instead of giving some fifteen page document where we're like summarizing all this shit and like it's so hard to convey tone with that too. And I think something like this the tone is everything. You know, there's good tones and bad tones, and you know, and you know, these people don't know us. They don't they're not necessarily give us the benefit of the doubt that all of our ideas are going to be executed in the most palatable way, like they could be reading our ideas.
Speaker 8: Like these guys are gonna blow this.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 8: And so we just felt like we just wanted to put our money where our mouth.
Speaker 5: Was that bad. That's fucking awesome, dude, And this is PG thirteen.
Speaker 4: It has to be PG thirteen, But it's okay. We're we're running within those lines. I think we got this.
Speaker 5: I like that. I like that challenge.
Speaker 3: I feel like also thirteen used to be pretty gnarly, kind of edgy.
Speaker 7: I remember that.
Speaker 2: I forget.
Speaker 5: Was it like Doc Holliday ors Doc Hollywood? Dude, Doc Hollywood. I went with my mom. They're ditties in it. Yeah, there's titties.
Speaker 9: She comes out of the water fully naked, what bush fully naked?
Speaker 2: It was PG thirteen. I made my parents rent me that movie every weekend. I was like, maybe we run Doc Hollywood back.
Speaker 5: Like Adam's gonna grow up and be a doctor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll be in the basement watching doc Hollywood again, right, So just throwing that your away, Danny. There could be there could be.
Speaker 5: Something one Lady j could be full bush.
Speaker 2: One one flopping out.
Speaker 5: Please make it, baroness, please make it.
Speaker 9: Oh god, she's so hot, brolet's.
Speaker 5: Make it with theses again. Yeah, just be really zoomed.
Speaker 7: He's gonna dress up his dick as g I Joe character.
Speaker 9: May guys, who was the guy all right, pe but the guy who was in the famous photo that went around that was like sitting on the edge of the bed with like the giant cock hanging over the.
Speaker 7: Big black guy. I can't recall if.
Speaker 5: He was alive. He's my roadblock. Oh yeah, yeah, oh yeah, I think his name was bluff block. He could block a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, his greatest asset would just go to waste in a PG thirteen movies, you know you can see some outlines.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but everyone would know, everyone would know. You'd watch it and you.
Speaker 2: Go, he's always just sitting on the edge of the bed with his just his arm hanging right there.
Speaker 5: Please have tons of in it. Wasn't that a character name. It has a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: I love Joe's the fact you're doing that gets me so freaking excited. Dude, I like live for g I Joe's.
Speaker 8: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 9: I just I'm gonna ask you do not have to answer. Can you say who the lead character will be?
Speaker 4: You know, Duke plays a big role in it, but it's an ensemble, so there's a lot of there's there's a lot of Joe's in it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I got it.
Speaker 9: God, there's a lot of jokes cool like this is asking to be cast.
Speaker 5: There's a lot for five even kind of like a soft yeah.
Speaker 3: He has it wears out in years has a little.
Speaker 2: Is currently wearing a rough House T shirt.
Speaker 3: With uh Dodger cap which can we get some kind of discount code for the rough House pictures like gift shop.
Speaker 5: I've got a couple of.
Speaker 4: My eye We gave it to Adam to give to you guys a long time ago.
Speaker 8: He never.
Speaker 3: Like the Conquered Taekwondo shirt. I'm from Conquered Dude. I need the shirt.
Speaker 8: You need that.
Speaker 5: We got it, We got it, We got.
Speaker 2: You any any at the end of the show, we do take backs, apologies, any epic slams that you might want to do on any of us.
Speaker 5: Feel free to do it right now.
Speaker 8: No way I would do that to you three gentles.
Speaker 9: I guess I'll take bring the dead gentleman whose nude photos went viral.
Speaker 5: And I don't know if that's to help.
Speaker 8: Or all right.
Speaker 2: Uh oh, I thought you were going to take back when you kept making the dick sucking noises when I was just complimenting my friend Danny.
Speaker 5: I'll give a double down. I'll give a double down.
Speaker 9: Oh you're doubling down on that, okay, just like you were gobbling down.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna double down.
Speaker 2: I wasn't God, it was not gobbling.
Speaker 5: You know what.
Speaker 3: I'll apologize to one were gassing up the audio version of the book. This is a sick ass book. To have a physical copy of it hardened one. It harkens back to the days there and you would see like cool dudes walking around with like remember when you see like a dude walking around with like Howard Sturn's private parts and you're like that guy reads but he's all.
Speaker 5: Like, are you talking about one thing that happened once to you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, that reads what he fucks too. He's cool. Yeah, he's not a word. This is a cool ass book.
Speaker 7: You could do both.
Speaker 3: This is a cool book to have on your person. Okay, when you walk on a flight and this is this is in your hand, look at you and be like, salute dude.
Speaker 5: I see the I see the names.
Speaker 9: Can I quickly before we really sign off, Can I quickly show just a few other DVDs that I discovered?
Speaker 2: Please? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, this one. I don't know if you can see what this says.
Speaker 2: Just says Adam Devine is Adam Divine's real Eddie October. Wow, that's a very that's very That's like two thousand and four five.
Speaker 8: Was that your real Adam?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 5: That was my reel.
Speaker 9: This is jet Set Hudson's like comedy DVD one of the stars of Workaholics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, comedy more and then we cast a lot of extras as extras and then ended up giving them lines throughout throughout the show. Basically our entire office were just extras who we gave acting work to.
Speaker 9: And then the jet Set was a legend who left us too soon. And then finally, this is a birthday gift that Blake gave me. I'm a huge Ghostbusters fan, so of course this is Hustlers. This ain't Ghostbusters. Yeah, where where? I don't think I've seen a better that.
Speaker 2: This is Blue Ray. You want to see.
Speaker 5: It all, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't skip out on my boy. Yeah, it's nice gift. Yeah, I'm getting my boy some four K.
Speaker 2: Blake has never given me a gift.
Speaker 5: But that's that's cool. Wait for the boat.
Speaker 7: I got a gift for you on the boat.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 9: Evanstone gives like the one and only like it's no one gives a better Bill Murray impression than Evanstone in this movie.
Speaker 5: And I'm I'm not joking.
Speaker 2: He's really good. It's crazy Evan Stone, the porn stars. It is truly talented.
Speaker 8: I love that.
Speaker 2: All right. Thank you so much for being our first real guest, Danny. Yeah, you know you're a legend.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 2: We appreciate, We appreciate you.
Speaker 8: Thank you guys, thanks for having me on here.
Speaker 5: I appreciate it, honestly it man, Yes, pick it up. It's fucking great.
Speaker 2: Keep crushing it and and everything you do. Were we're such fans. Appreciate it you guys, anime bride, everybody rid.
Speaker 5: Thanks for for getting us to read. Man. We appreciate all right.
Speaker 2: And that's another episode.
Speaker 5: This hunay hunay,