Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Business Wait inside from the reporters and editors who bring you America's most trusted business magazine, plus bloom oall business finance and tech news. The Bloomberg Business Week podcast with Carol Messer and Tim Stenebeck from Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Says, f.
Speaker 3: Yes, indeed, we are living.
Speaker 4: Instagra.
Speaker 5: Good record.
Speaker 6: I remember listening to this record on my very first trip to Amsterdam.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, was anything involved?
Speaker 5: No, well so I was nothing illegal there.
Speaker 3: That's so true, nicely said. We are living in strange time, strange days. This story we want to get to. It's in the Bloomberg BusinessWeek newsletter and you can read it. It's on the Bloomberg and of course at Bloomberg dot com slash newsletters. It is written by Joshua Green. Josh Green, National Coursepond at Bloomberg BusinessWeek, who's joining us right now on the phone from Washington, d C. And Josh, we want to get to it. Talk to us about.
Speaker 5: What is going on.
Speaker 3: Why are these people supporting the former president who hopes to be president again.
Speaker 7: Well, yeah, I was up in New Hampshire last week and one of the running themes, you know, at the various town halls and campaign stops for some of these candidates was that they were all either extolling Donald Trump or more likely attacking Joe Biden in the Justice Department for you know, for going after Trump for indicting him. And then of course at the scene in Miami where Trump was arrested yesterday was full of not just Trump protesters, but twenty twenty four presidential candidates or possible presidential candidates who are against him, and yet we're there to support him. So I wrote a little bit about the phenomenon of what I've come to think of as maga Swifties. Instead of being behaving like actual Republican political opponents trying to seek the Goop nomination, they're acting like craved Taylor Swift fans, fluffing up their hero and attacking his defenders. Have a I have a sixteen year old happens to be one of these Swifties, so I've I've studied the genotype.
Speaker 3: But my twenty year old daughters here, who's a Swiftie. She's going to be really embarrassed that I'm calling her out here. But yeah, totally get it when you.
Speaker 7: Make that aware.
Speaker 6: They're everywhere I just don't understandami. He's he's a little bit older. You know, he went to Harvard and then Yale Law School, So it's not like he completely lacks critical thinking skills or is totally ignorant. Why is he down here about in Miami, just like on his knee kissing up to former President Trump? Does he want to be on the ticket? Is there a romantic link we don't know about, Like, what's the deal? Joe Webber, by the ways, a great question.
Speaker 7: With the Veke who I saw in New Hampshire last week, he makes a point of mentioning that he is the only millennial Republican running for president. That might have something to do with the swift.
Speaker 5: Bragging about being a millennial.
Speaker 7: I think more likely is that these candidates are all looking at polls of who votes in Republican primaries, and we've seen a bunch of them since the indictment came out. And what Republican voters think is that Donald Trump got screwed, that the indictment is political. They don't like it. It's made Trump more popular, not less popular, and they're very, very angry at anybody who criticizes Trump over the indictment. And so I think a lot of these candidates who've been releasing supportive statements, or as the Vake did in Miami, mayor Francisco Suarez, who's rumored to baby beginning in the race, actually showed up to support Trump again, their opponent in the race. I think the way they're doing this is because they decided it's a way to get attention. It's a way to sort of like demonstrate their bona fides to Republican primary voters. But the problem in talking to Republican strategists, and I talked to Trump's old strategist Steve Bannon in this piece, is that if you're trying to run against Trump, ultimately, you need to have a strategy to beat it and going out there and saying what a great guy he is and have terrible his tormentors that the Justice Department are isn't doing anything to bring down Donald Trump. So Bannon told me for the piece he thinks the primary is already over and Trump's going to be the nominate. But it is a really bizarre kind of collective behavior that we see among these Republican candidates. Because while it may get them TV time, and while it may get them, you know, social media buzz or what have you, it's not getting them any closer to Trump. And the polls, who now has the biggest lead he's ever had in the twenty twenty four primary polls. You know, these guys are all falling further behind instead of catching up to him.
Speaker 8: But what if he can't run right? What if? What if he's actually not available, not on the playing field, and I'm allowed? And then and then I think the vex move becomes a little bit more clear, which is I'm the closest, most sympathetic guy that you have to that you have and I you know, basically in spirit, I am maga incarnate yet as a millennial.
Speaker 3: At your back.
Speaker 7: So I did a lot of calling around about that, talk to lawyers, talk to Republican strategists, talk to voters at these town halls in New Hampshire, and basically, you know, if it doesn't seem like the legal system is going to move quickly enough to hypothetically convict Trump before people start voting. But you know, he could get hit by lightning. He could, you know, I don't know, decide he'd rather spend his days on the golf course. I don't think anything is going to happen, but certainly it's possible that if you were somehow sidelined willingly or otherwise, then the field is ride open, and being the kind of you know Trump he also ran, becomes an actual emblem that could help you. In one of these new polls from CB, three quarters of Republican primary voters stead of Trump can't be president, they want somebody just like Trump. So all these guys are sort of scrambling role. I'm old enough to remember back in twenty sixteen when every candidate in the race wouldn't attacked Trump because they thought, oh, well, somehow he's going to get sidelined or his voters would just magically change their minds and lo and behold. That never happened, and it still hasn't happened. So I don't put a lot of stock in the kind of praying and hoping that he just bows out strategy, but that is that is what most Republican candidates seem to be doing at this point.
Speaker 8: Can we talk about the Nikki Haley approached a little bit, because I thought that one was an interesting one. What did she do?
Speaker 7: Yes, you know, Nicky Haley is sort of the Republican hamlet to cycle. When the indictment was first announced, she came out in the press and said it was terribly reckless to have done stuff like kept you know, classified nuclear documents in the mar Lago bathroom. But she got attacked so much that she she then pivoted yesterday and came out and said no, actually she was inclined to savor pardoning Trump if she were elected president. So she's managed to be on both sides of this issue. You know, she was she was four indicting him. I guess before she was against it.
Speaker 6: That was back when it was the party of law and order. They've decided they don't care about law and order anymore. By the way, can we well, can we stop.
Speaker 7: Only as far as it applies to Democrats. There was a lot you know, you ask about the Trump indictment, and you know, nine times out of ten the answer comes up being, well, why haven't they indicted Joe Biden or Hunter Biden? Which may, by the way, but but there's they're only the candidate of law. They're only the part of law and order in so far as it pertains Democrats, And I think for most Democrats that goes the other way to everybody's very interested in seeing Trump indicted. You know, not a lot of clamoring among the Democrats, I know to indict Hunter Hunter Biden.
Speaker 5: Well, that's not terribly unlikely, let's be honest, But I think we should. I think we should.
Speaker 6: We focused too much on he kept classified occupants in the bathroom, which doesn't matter because Biden kept classified documents in the garage next to his gorgeous nineteen sixty seven corvette. But the problem is the obstruction Yeah, the problem is the obstruction charge, right, And is anybody in the Republican Party obtuse enough to see beyond the irony of Donald Trump chanting or leading a chance of lock her up against Hillary Clinton? I mean, how do you These people went to Harvard and Yale. DeSantis and Vivek both went to both of those Ivy League institutions.
Speaker 5: Are they just they can't be just dumb.
Speaker 7: No, I don't think any of them are dumb. I think they're looking at the polls and reacting accordingly. And there is one candidate in the race, so I spent time with in New Hampshire when he made his announcement last weekend. Who isn't going along with us who's been very critical of Donald Trump, and that's Chris Christi, the former New Jersey governor. The problem, though, is, we see in one of these new polls, is that Republican voters don't want to hear Trump criticize Christy. As I wrote for Business Week last week, is very unpopular, not only among Republicans who like Trump, but even among Republicans who don't like Trump. And this new poll shows for Morning consult that Christie's favorability rating has actually fallen from thirty five percent down to twenty five percent since he got into the race last week. So the strategy of criticizing Trump doesn't seem to be helping Christie get ahead. But that being said, look, if any of these guys want to actually be the Republican nominee in twenty twenty four, and I'm less and less convinced that they actually do, they're going to have to figure out a way to lower Trump's favorability ratings with Republican voters or they're simply going to lose the GFP primary race and a blow. And that seems to be happening right now, which is why I do think that Canada like Vivek round Swami and maybe even Nikki Haley, whether or not they realize it, are really running for vice president, because that seems to be the only open spot this one. Trump, looking at the poll numbers, at least at this point, it seems to have the nomination all but wrapped up.
Speaker 3: And then there is the former vice president Mike Pence, who apparently said he cannot defend what is alleged in the most recent indictment against former President Donald Trump. I'm reading ABC News as a story. I guess. He did some interviews with other networks, but he talked about reading the full indictment. But he also is saying I'm going to wait until basically after he's had his day in court.
Speaker 6: He also was clearly afraid to really speak out right, Josh. I mean, this is a guy the former president sent an angry mob to essentially kill him, and he's never really said anything that bad about Donald Trump.
Speaker 5: But he's still saying I can't believe that politics.
Speaker 7: His campaign released a pretty tough kind of video ad, but Pence himself has more or less been kind of whimpering in the corner, you know, hoping this all goes away. Nobody I can find in Republican politics who isn't on Mike Pence's payroll or the payroll of his super pack can figure out why he's running for president, because it really does not seem to be any constituency at all that either respects him or is longing for him to be Indiana the White House, his unfavorability ratings are almost as high as Chris Christie's, and that's really saying something. So again, it's the strategy of kind of wanting to have it both ways, of not really wanting to attack or engage Trump and just hoping that somehow, by a stroke of magic, Trump disappears and voters crown either Pence or Hayley or one of these also want to be candidates in his place, and they kind of wind up with a nomination that way, because as we've seen throughout the indictment drama, Trump really isn't getting any pushback from the candidates that are running against them, and so voters don't seem to be under any pressure or have any interest in considering anyone but Donald Trump. And that is a recipe for Trump becoming the next nominee, whether or not he's indicted. A third or a fourth time, no matter what happens.
Speaker 8: But Matt, do you really think Pence could not not run like he kind of has to run even if I mean, I mean, you've got to put your foot out.
Speaker 6: I feel like Pence would have had a great shot at this had he immediately come out against his former boss and said, you know what, it doesn't work that way in America. You know, we don't attempt to overthrow Congress. We don't attempt to overturn an election. This is a democracy, and we're strong. If he had flexed at that point, it would have been awesome.
Speaker 3: I want to go back to you, Josh, because you wrote the book Devil's Bargain Steve Bannon, Donald Trump and the storming of the presidency. Really just you were there at the get go, at the beginning, watching Trump and his you know, his winning of the White House that first go round and the rise of the alt right. Having said that, what you were seeing at this time in place, do you see that indeed it's going to be trumped, depending on the legal cases play out a little bit, that he will be the Republican nomination. We're looking at the potential of Trump getting back to the White House.
Speaker 7: There's no real reason I can see, based on what's happening in Republican politics right now, to think that Trump is not going to be the nominee. Like obvious caveats, you know, he could drop de of a heart attack, he could somehow change his mind, the Earth could get hit by a meteor. But barring something like that, if you look at Republican voter sentiment, it's hugely favorable toward Donald Trump. In a new CBS News poll, Trump is leading his closest opponent, Rond De Santis by more than a three to one margin. Every time he gets indicted, his favorable numbers with Republican voters tick up. The one thing that Trump needs to worry about is that is popular with Republicans has grown, and as he's been indicted, you know, more and more times, he's become less popular with non Republicans. As far as Trump getting back to the White House, I think that's a pretty big hurdle. But Trump winning the nomination at this point seems far more likely than not. And especially when you see things like we saw in Miami, with all the sponents going down there to defend him, it's harder and harder to see him. Okay, losing to one of them?
Speaker 3: All right, we got to run great stuff as always. Josh Green, National correspond at Bloomberg Business Week, Joe Weber at the editor of Bloomberg BusinessWeek. Find this at Bloomberg dot com slash newsletters. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Podcast. Catch us live weekdays from two to five pm Eastern on Bloomberg Radio, the Bloomberg Business App, and you too. You can also listen live to our flagship New York station. Just say Alexa, play Bloomberg. You love them thirty.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg New Senior financial reporter Shrinanarajen here with Matt and myself in our Bloomberg Interactive Bookers studio. Were you a little fraid to walk in because Matt was a little heated?
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 9: I've never seen anyone more excited about inflation than him.
Speaker 3: This is why we love Maddie's enthusiasm over all things, including FED meetings. FED meetings are fun. Also fun is watching firms navigate politics and kind of the global financial world and where business will be and where they need to focus their efforts. Talk us a little bit about gold Band and what they're doing in India. And you know this country right well born there, family there.
Speaker 5: Grew up there.
Speaker 9: Yes, I did know the country a little bit. It is fascinating the story and it is a mustreat. It is a window into Goldman in the fact that their biggest office outside of New York, their headquarters, happens to be in India and Bangalore. But equally it is a story about how India has become a attractive center for a large number of firms. Goldman might have eight thousand of it's roughly forty five thousand people there. JP Morgan has about fifty thousand people there, fifty thousand of about three hundred thousand. These are what they call these global capability centers, and so like when you.
Speaker 3: Call in like write a lot of the back office.
Speaker 9: That used to be the case. When you go back to the nineties, when you go back to the early two thousands, you will think about India. You will think about back office jobs. You will think about your you know, customer care centers, that's where most of your calls were getting answered. Then that was the stereotype associated with India about the kind of jobs. But what the story does a good job of explaining to us is how that has changed. It's not purely back office anymore. It's not just that companies are sitting around and saying, how can we lower costs? It has evolved into something more than that. We have Goldments, the head of India, the India business at Goldman Sachs talking about how they have a number of software engineers there now building and writing code for their trading platforms that quant firms here can use for their commodities analytics business. That is not back office by To me, it's a.
Speaker 6: No brainer, right if I look at the landscape in India, the universities, the educational system is so strong that you know, we see obviously some of our smartest analysts here Bloomberg Intelligence are from India.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 6: You look across the banking landscape, You've got some of the big CEOs.
Speaker 5: Are from India, you know.
Speaker 6: To me, when I read this story, a light switch was flipped, like, oh, obviously you can hire pms, You can hire business heads there and you don't have to pay them, you know, ten million dollars a year. I would move a lot of my business to India.
Speaker 9: And move away from the banking landscape, and think about the tech landscape, Google, Microsoft, IBM, all of these places, a lot of their CEOs right now are products of the Indian educational system. And that's why it's important to sort of break down why it's so attractive. Right there is this vast pool of young talent. India just became the most populous country on Earth, just overtaking China. Yet the median age here and that is why this phrase has been associated with India for long, the demographic dividend, the median age. There's twenty eight in the US and China. That's thirty eight, Danias. Doesn't seem like a lot, but it is a lot. Yeah, twenty eight years old is sort of your average person in India.
Speaker 6: What I would give to be twenty eight, You could take my left arm if I can be twenty eight.
Speaker 9: We can easily rewind five years age if that's all you want.
Speaker 2: But not just that.
Speaker 9: There's an educational system that has this focus on science and technology. Right that again becomes a big thing in an attractive, attractive quality for a lot of these companies trying to set up these centers, and the most important thing, the unforeseen catalyst what happened with the pandemic. You learned that you could have your workers and your staff in distributed locations, in remote locations, and still do it seamlessly. Of course, that was a very dire example, and people working from their bedrooms and their living rooms and trying to get work done. And we were able to do that. Here you're talking about fully constructed, state of the art buildings with all the relevant technology that's needed. It just happens to be twelve thousand miles away that works, and companies are convinced that can happen. Of course, it's not all a plus. There are questions about the employability of many people who come through the booming education system. They have to make sure that a lot of time is spent on training. And I actually remember that around the pandemic. There was a phase when the pandemic struck the US that was March twenty twenty, and that's when we saw most of the impacts. But the peak pandemic impacts in a place like India was felt about a year later, and when you saw these national lockdowns. I remember having conversations with Goldman executives who were suddenly thinking we have moved a lot of our risk functions and some of the other critical operational functions to places like India. When suddenly the entire office is locked out, they had a moment of panic and they had to be sure, wait, are we too reliant on India. Of course it didn't cause any problems in the end, but it certainly sparked that conversation for them.
Speaker 3: Shri and I think about like China and what it developed into in terms of supporting the world, right versus what India is. I mean, it's really a very different story, right. This is these are highly educated workers that are becoming increasingly a really significant part of the global economy.
Speaker 9: China became a manufacturing powerhouse. It became the factory of the world. Looking at how this Indian ecosystem is developing, you're seeing more of a services exports system here, right, And that is what it is turning to. It is using the demographic dividend to its advantage. It is using its existent education system and the focus on science and technology or even the STEM fields if you may, to attract a lot of these companies and they're seeing the benefit in that. Goldman just Operate opened a second Global Capability Center India in Hyderabad because there is an infrastructure challenge. If all the big companies are flocking to the same city, it will cause problems. And anyone who's seen Bangalore realizes there are problems. So other cities are developing, So there are alternatives.
Speaker 6: What I wanted to ask, what is I know many Indians students actually end up at Harvard as well, but what is the Harvard of India?
Speaker 9: I believe how we call it the Harvard University for instance, is the I of the United States?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 5: I see, I love the way he did that he turned around.
Speaker 3: Ah, that is very interesting.
Speaker 5: It's god.
Speaker 3: You know what I wanted to quickly. We only got thirty thirty five seconds. So when you see the headlines about Tim Cook and Apple and India, are they behind what the financial firms have been doing, because it sounds like they've been entrenched on a much more sophisticated level in India for a while.
Speaker 9: No, remember the Apple headlines and the Tim Cook in India headlines recently were more about Apple opening a retail store. And as a completely different side of the question there, you realize that when you have one point to build in people and a very fast growing middle class and that still translates to a pretty significant number. You have a consumer market that is approachable in ways you did not think possible many years ago. It is a growing market. Even with big investing firms, they would look at India as the good with the growing Dennis markets, the possibility to find investing opportunities there.
Speaker 3: Group so glad to jump in and see mattx craziness and then do this story. Shrinata Rojan, thank you.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Catch us live weekdays from two to five pm Eastern on Bloomberg Radio, the Bloomberg Business App, and YouTube. You can also listen live to our flagship New York station, Just Say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: All fly, Amram Baby, Ram baby.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 6: I do want to fly, but not in a narrow body seven thirty seven Max.
Speaker 5: I'm still a little bit worried about flying on a seven thirty seven? Is it just me?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 12: I get that I don't know enough about planes to sort of suss out what aircraft.
Speaker 6: I know very little about planes, but I know this one tends to crash a lot. Those numbers seem yeah, and Apparently the Chinese. For a while, they were cool with it until the plane started to crash. They were buying a ton of Boeings. Uh Trump's trade war and then COVID, and all of a sudden, Boeing went from like the most beloved plane maker in China.
Speaker 5: To the biggest loser to air Bus.
Speaker 6: This duopoly is something we're going to talk about with Bloomberg BusinessWeek Editor in chief Joel Weber. He joins us here in the Interactive Broker studio, as well as Julie Johnson, the aerospace reporter, and Joel, I was telling Katie earlier, my love for this business has grown exponentially since I read Airframe by Michael Crichton.
Speaker 8: Okay, have you read it? No, man, I.
Speaker 6: Feel like this is one of the most novels he wrote Jurassic Park, and it's a great book.
Speaker 5: It touches on China.
Speaker 6: But everyone needs to read it. So how did how did Julie win? You overd this pitch?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 8: Well, you know, we have this interest in airplanes and air lines and the people who are running those companies and also the people who manufacture them. There's this thing that happened in China where you know, they closed the borders for a really long time during COVID travel and demand went away internally, domestically in China internationally, and that had all kinds of implications for the global economy. It also had implications for people who make and sell airplanes, and that was sort of an interest of us, especially ahead of the Paris Air Show, which is just around the corner. And so we circled back to Julie to talk more about Boeing. So, what's happening with Boeing since China has been such a crucial market for the company for so long, Julie.
Speaker 13: Pretty fascinating, I mean for the last three or four years. The story had been pretty much the same until very recently, and it was one of frustration for Boeing. They were locked out of their largest international market, frozen out, whatever you want to call it, and and the they very much seemed to be caught in the middle of this, you know, trade war, and they were all kinds of other issues mixed in, including the fact that China was the first nation to ground the MAX after those two crashes and one of the last to unground it. So what's going on here is that market dynamics have overtaken politics there because of COVID and the MAX grounding, the global air mark market is thousands of planes short of demand, and so if you want a Boeing jet, you want a Max, you better get in line because they're sold out now into twenty twenty eight. We just saw Ryanair place this monster order that goes into the twenty thirties just to line up aircraft, and Airbus is sold out almost to twenty thirty. So it's pretty pretty fascinating to see suddenly, you know, there's all this activity in China. They need their planes, and things are starting to look good for Boeing.
Speaker 5: The numbers are striking.
Speaker 6: I mean, I took from the story that Boeing was like a big was beloved in China and was selling more planes than anybody else there. And then the geopolitical tensions I think are key, right, the Trump trade war plus COVID plus the MAX crashes. Since twenty twenty, Airbus has sold three hundred or delivered three hundred and eighty four planes to China.
Speaker 5: Boeing has delivered four why haven't bothered, and Ryanair has.
Speaker 6: Now put in an order for three hundred. United Like two hundred, and the Indians have ordered another one hundred, So you know, everybody wants these things, and I guess Boeing is now optimistic?
Speaker 5: Is Dave Calhoun, the guy who runs Boeing?
Speaker 6: Now he's optimistic that what the Chinese are going to start ordering him again because he had a backlog of like ten billion dollars of the planes that he was supposed to sell to them but had started already giving to other clients.
Speaker 8: You did it, that's firedough it.
Speaker 13: Yeah, so there's a lot of to unpack here. Boeing has one hundred and forty planes that they built for China, most of them in twenty twenty nineteen, that have been in storage because China was closed to the MAX and China has not resumed imports of the Max yet, but apparently that could happen. It's basically all they need is a stamp from the government for that to happen. The airlines want their planes. So so yeah, that's the ten billion dollars that's tied up. That's been very frustrating to Boeing. But if China, you know, Boeing kind of ran out of patients last year as the market started to heat up and Calhoun was not subtle at all in saying, you know, we're marketing these If you don't want these planes, they are going to be other buyers. And that's that's right around the time that China started reopening and this this relationship flipped and by the way, I mean it could flip again, Like the politics are crazy here. I mean, but it's looking good for Boeing.
Speaker 8: So how did Airbus manage to to really just continue to you know, sell planes. There's so much more dramatically than Boeing.
Speaker 13: Well, their plane wasn't grounded. I mean, this is so the Max. The global grounding was I think the longest in aviation history, certainly the longest for a really important aircraft, and Airbus Boeing had to shut down production during COVID. Airbus managed to keep their factories going and running semi semi hot. And then Airbus has also done a lot of direct investment in China and they've got they've you know, they're building their A three twenty NEOs in China that's the rival to the Max. So so they've managed they've got a really good relationship that they've you know, they've managed to foster through the trade tensions. And by the way, Washington's kind of irritated by some of the ordering that that's gone to Airbus's way.
Speaker 5: Oh well please, They've brought it upon themselves.
Speaker 6: I mean, you know, if you want to win a congressional campaign, dissing China.
Speaker 5: Is a great way to do that to get votes.
Speaker 6: And the Europeans have been courting the Chinese with the Belton Road initiative and letting him straight up in through Italy, right up into the heart of Europe. That's got to help a lot as well, doesn't it.
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 13: Yeah, absolutely so.
Speaker 6: I wonder why does China not have its own I was talking about airframe. I was talking about Airframe, the book by Michael Crichton, Julie, have you read it?
Speaker 13: Sorry?
Speaker 5: Okay, I thought it was popular anyway.
Speaker 6: Part of the book talks about how the airplane ip like, for example, how you make a wing is so heavily guarded in this country, and I'm sure air Bus guards theirs as well. But they have to outsource some of this manufacturing to China. As you know, the global economy became too intertwined. China knows how to make planes, now, why don't they make an uncomfortable narrow body jet.
Speaker 13: They have China just to make things even more complicated. So China has its rival, homegrown rival to the Max and to the A three twenty neo, and it just entered service last month and more than ten years behind schedule, by the way, and about I've seen estimates that around eighty percent of the technology in that plane, basically everything that you need to keep it aloft is Western made, and so manufacturing commercial jets is really, really, really difficult, and to build them on scale even tougher. So it's one thing to get it into the air, but then the next challenge for China is to start churning these out, and it's you know, they put a lot of resources into it. I wouldn't count them out at all, but it's going to be probably decades before they're a threat to Boeing an air bus. And that also works in Boeing's favor right now.
Speaker 8: Okay, Well, if Matt is reluctant to get on the Max, Katie, I'm curious the CET nine to nineteen, that's going to be China's answer to the Max. Matt, when you're gonna step on one of those.
Speaker 6: No, I mean no, it's like getting a Chinese COVID vaccine.
Speaker 5: No, thank you, ma'am.
Speaker 8: No, it could work.
Speaker 5: It could, yeah, it could.
Speaker 12: Okay, Julie, I have a question about the competitive landscape here, because again it seems like this dynamic maybe is shifting again in favor of Boeing. But I mean you also made the point that if you look at airbuses, waitless. I mean we're talking until the start of the next decade. So from a competitive standpoint, it still seems like when it comes to China, Boeing is far behind that of air Bus.
Speaker 2: Is that safe to say, Yeah, that's that's spot on.
Speaker 13: Yeah, that's exactly right on. The Airbus is clearly in the driver's seat. And frankly because they both Boeing and Airbus have struggled post COVID to get their factories back up and running smoothly. And when you're coordinating hundreds of thousands of planes or parts that go into a plane and they've got to arrive on schedule, you know, sometimes down time to the half hour, you can just see how quickly, you know, how difficult that is, and how quickly things things can go amiss. And so air buses inability to you know, to make good on their their schedule has kind of left Boing back into the game a little bit. But Airbus right now dominates. I mean there's just no question it's their market.
Speaker 8: Okay, Julie, I'm curious. Air show coming up soon Parish? Do you get to go? And if not, what are you going to be looking for from Afar?
Speaker 5: No, I'm I'm I'm gonna be there.
Speaker 13: I'm gonna be sleep deprived and you know, eating bread and cheese and sitting in traffic.
Speaker 6: Maybe truly, poor Julie, she's gonna be eating French cheese and drinking wine.
Speaker 8: What what are you most looking forward to there, Julie?
Speaker 5: You know it's on it.
Speaker 13: The excitement is palpable. So it's it's very cool to have the whole industry. I mean, tens of thousands of people jammed into an airfield for a few days and you run into I mean, like, oh my gosh, there's a you know, four star general walking by. I mean, it's just it's really really cool just and and as a as a I love airplanes, and so just just to see them up close, to see the flying displays, to run into people I know, it's it's like.
Speaker 2: It's very cool.
Speaker 8: Matt wants you to ask why Airframe wasn't a bigger hit.
Speaker 6: I feel like it was huge, But now you guys read it, I'm excited to I'm excited to see what they have. And Julie, we're going to have you back on out at the Paris Air Show because they always have the coolest new things, new products there and it'll be interesting to see.
Speaker 8: It's always an open question. Overrated, underrated? The book air Frame by Michael Creton, just putting it out there.
Speaker 6: The book apparently is under red, all right, Julie Johnson. There covers airlines for US or aerospace is more than just airlines, the makers of planes and defense.
Speaker 5: Stuff as well.
Speaker 6: Joel Ever, editor and chief at Bloomberg business Week.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Catch us live weekdays from two to five pm Eastern on Bloomberg Radio, the Bloomberg Business app and YouTube. You can also listen live to our flagship New York station, Just say Alexa, play Bloomberg You Love them thirty.
Speaker 3: First of all, just a little bit of a setup. Remember we caught up with more Keeshaw CEO at All Finance.
Speaker 6: Yess, I will never forget because he gave me that phrase that I use all the time, which is you.
Speaker 5: Need to put your greed above your bias.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, yeah, it makes so much sense. Well, and he is really specifically working on diversifying the all finance space, and he talked about All Finance having their first graduating class of HBCU students who are now headed to the investment world. So all about diversifying the financial space. And that's where we get to our next guest. It's our regular equality segment because June is Equality month. Harold Butler is City Group Global Markets head of Diverse Financial Institutions Group, joining us on site here at Bloomberg Headquarters. Although I will say that we try to delve into this all the time, I don't need a month to do it. Yes, and I'm looking forward to the time where I think it's really important, but that we don't have to talk about it because it's just done.
Speaker 8: Wouldn't it be wonderful?
Speaker 3: Why aren't we done already? I've been doing this a long time, yes, and Matt's been doing a long time.
Speaker 5: And it is funny.
Speaker 6: I was reading there was a story today about the Supreme Court backing black congressional district, and I think Alabama was in Alabama, Alabama, and I was thinking, how insane is it that we still have to deal with this kind of crap. If somebody a hundred years ago had read that headline, they would have been like, seriously, they haven't dealt with the racial problems in America yet.
Speaker 14: Seriously.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean exactly, it's just unbelievable, the right to.
Speaker 14: Vote other things. Absolutely, I agree.
Speaker 3: With you what's wrong with society?
Speaker 14: You know, if I had a crystal ball, I could probably give you that answer. Right.
Speaker 8: I think people need to relax.
Speaker 15: Quite frankly, what does that mean?
Speaker 16: What do you mean?
Speaker 14: I think people? I actually think folks are very uptight right in the US and general. And it's not necessarily just a financial markets. You know. I'll give you an example. You know, when you go my very first time to Europe, I had the pleasure of serving in the US Army and I got stationed at NATO Suppek and when I landed and this is back several years ago, with seventy years a long time, and when I landed in Belgium, I went to the installation and I said well, where is everybody this?
Speaker 8: Oh, it's CIEs the time.
Speaker 14: Where people are taking a lunch and taking a break so they can reset themselves for today, right, and communicy families or whatever. And then they come back to work and to work a couple of hours, and they're much more effective. And I said, in what's wrong with this picture? Come in?
Speaker 3: I'm in.
Speaker 5: I want to join that too.
Speaker 3: We sa a bit about Germany right, that there was more balance.
Speaker 6: I mean, you know what because of the social system, because of the safety nets. I think also, you know, people aren't as worried about how am I going to pay for if I have an accident, how I pay for health care? If I get fired, how am I going to afford to pay my rest right? Because there are so many more safety nets, and as a result, I think they need to use them less.
Speaker 3: To be honest, no, I get it, they get worried about it. So if we relax, yes, I like to relax. Why do you think how can that improve the situation in terms of diversification. I'm tired of hearing I love you Mackenzie, but tired of hearing about the studies. I get it. It's better to be diversified and there's a bottom line financial component to it. So tell me if we relax, how does that make things better?
Speaker 14: Well, I mean, let's use the financial component.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 8: So, like you, I am.
Speaker 14: Oftentimes mind boggled at the same conversation around you know, why are we doing what we're doing?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 14: Just recently, in fact, I was asked, so, why are we having the same conversation about equity?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 14: Why are we still having this conversation? And you know, without having to go into a history lesson, which sometimes I don't mind doing, right and really helping that individual ask me the question, talk about helping them to understand why things are the way they are. I said, let's let's refocus your question and you ask yourself, right, if if the shoe were on the other foot, how would it be different for you?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 14: And when I say the shoe of being on the other foot, you know he's talking about in this case, I'm kind of tired of hearing about diverse and equity and all this kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Tired. Just no, no, no, I'm just saying repetition is why isn't it done right?
Speaker 14: That's just the whole point is that I think I think we and I hope this is where we're going now. Right, much of the work that's been done, certainly past the horrific events that took place several years ago. There's a lot of corporations that have come into the space that are putting capital in the spaceport George Murder, George Floyd.
Speaker 3: The conversation shifted dramatically.
Speaker 14: Dramatically, right yet, and yet I think I think progress is happening, but yet we're not there yet, right, And I think it's because it continues to be a difficult conversation for people to have. I think people some people don't really understand steal the what or what needs to happen. And I think some folks just get for Clint about the level of commitment that they need to make.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 8: We over a.
Speaker 14: Lot of times financial institutions in general, because it's the nature of how we do business, you know, we think about it a lot, right, We put do you think about risk? And we think about this, and we think about that, and all this out of time.
Speaker 3: A trader's got to pull the button and make the trade.
Speaker 14: You got to do it right. If we weren't on radio live radio, I have a nice little term for them but it's.
Speaker 3: Probably it sounds like we got to get off the pot.
Speaker 8: I mean, really what we need to do.
Speaker 6: I think also it's just it's so hard for people to overcome their biases. Yes, when Marcus Shaw came on and he gave us this, uh, this term, you need to put your greed over your biases.
Speaker 14: Use.
Speaker 6: His point was, if you have that kind of diversity, you're going to be able to generate more revenue, better margins, You're going to be able to make money.
Speaker 5: And that's what we all want to do. So we all want ostensibly, right, So.
Speaker 3: Bias is that strong that people will give up making money?
Speaker 6: Yeah, let's talk about black banks versus surely because you said sometimes you don't mind giving people a history lesson, and I think people need that.
Speaker 15: Here.
Speaker 6: There are historically black banks. Are they still in operational the same sort of scale that they once were?
Speaker 14: Well, you know, since reconstruction. The black banks that are in existence today about seventeen of them, so that's not a big number. Across the country probably have more capital than they ever ever had. Right during the number of years prior to these events that we've talked about, such as the murder George Bloyd and how the whole industry sort of change. It was a tough world, right, and that's steal tough, but it is changing because the banks do have capital. Prior to you know, there wasn't capital to do things right, And so people oftentimes ask me, well, how come there are black financial institutions that have been around for one hundred years and they remain under a billion dollars in assets for example?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 14: And then I like to say to the history lesson things, I well, if you were denied capital markets, if you couldn't play in the capital markets, you'd be the same way, right, because it's a vicious cycle, right. And if you don't have access to capital, you don't grow, right. And if you don't grow, you cannot offer the communities you serve services and things like that. So you know, it's it has been a.
Speaker 3: It gets exponential, it does, right if they're able to lend out and you keep going.
Speaker 14: It's just the growth, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 6: So what can be done about it? You are at city? Can you do you work with them? Or are you competitors?
Speaker 14: Definitely not competitors, right, So we've taken we're gigantic, We're not relative pect. We're not that I'm gigantic the waistline maybe a little bit.
Speaker 3: But you're what we considered one of the big banks.
Speaker 14: Well, we are a big bank, right, and I'm thankful we're a big bank because we're able to do things in a unique way and we're the first. Really maybe you didn't know this, I'm so I'm happy to tell you this. We're the only bank Steal on the street, the first to actually create a dedicated business unit, the Verse Financial Institutions group. This focused at the minority deposit institution. Are going to include broker dealers and asset managers because they're part of the equation as well. Absolutely right, And so our mission, our focus really has been to get to communities underrepresented, right, under invested communities through these financial institutions in a way that you know, we can help those banks attract investment to a community, to get rid of food deserts, which helps people eat more healthy so they don't go to the doctor. And you know, as much it's you said earlier, it's a vicious cycle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all those things that keep people from moving ahead financially as well as just kind of personally stay in touch. Let's know, how things are.
Speaker 14: I'm happy to stay in touch. I've got so much to talk about you. If you have me back, will we get back. We can have all kinds of fun talking about this week.
Speaker 6: We will definitely have you back. Thank you for coming in, Thank you for your service.
Speaker 14: Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: By the way, thank your waistline is just fun.
Speaker 8: I'm just okay, I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Harld Butler, who's Global Markets head of Diverse Financial Institutions Group at City Group.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. That's just live weekdays from two to five pm Eastern on Bloomberg Radio, the Bloomberg Business App and YouTube. You can also listen live to our flagship New York station Just Say Alexa play Bloomberg. You love them thirty.
Speaker 3: Well, got to say. Ruling the AI world right now without a doubt is Microsoft and the stock closing at an all time high today. It is up forty five percent year to date. Microsoft A lot of the reasons why investors excitement over the company's outfront moves when it comes to generative AI netnet. There is so much excitement in the markets over AI and so this week's issue Bloomberg Business Week really dedicated to big tech's market resurgence thanks to these new and constantly improving machine learning tools. So who's actually in the pack when it comes to the rapidly expanding AI hype cycle. Yes, it's Microsoft. So let's get to it and let's bring in Business Week editor Joel Weber, calumnist for the magazine, Max Chaffman Chaffkin, Excuse me, I always do that to you. Why do I do that? Obviously I need help.
Speaker 5: It's that human touch that you're providing.
Speaker 3: Max Chafkin and Bloomberg News Seattle bureau chief Dina Bess Joela Max in studio Dina on zoom and Seattle. This story also Bloomberg's Big Take, and it's in the new issue of Bloomberg Business Week, on newsstands, online, and on the Bloomberg terminal. So, Jill, Microsoft's kind of cool again.
Speaker 8: Yeah. The way that we've been talking about this is that Microsoft strikes back and Microsoft has been really, uh not a cool company h for a really long time. We've We've covered before how it became an absolute juggernaut in the cloud space and that was really a Sachi a Della move, and what we've seen recently this year ultimately has been this emergence, this unexpected move where they showed just how strong of a hand they had in the AI space, largely because of their investment in open ai. And what Max and Dina managed to do here is to show us how this this unlikely dominant place where it came from. And so Dina, I'm curious, let's start with you. What was the moment here that you that you learned that you know, Microsoft has really been at this AI stuff for a while, right, this is not their first fora did they what were some of those that about this.
Speaker 15: For more than two decades? And I think you know, some of the key moments that we talk about in this story took place around twenty nineteen, when you know, Satynadella and he had sort of deputized his CTO, Kevin Scott and trying to figure out why all this AI stuff they were doing wasn't really amounting new hill of beans. And so you know, they simultaneously, almost or very shortly one after the other, start you know two things. Kevin Scott looks at what they're doing and realizes that it's very diffuse. It's a bunch of interesting research at best, it's not getting into products, it's not having company wide impact, and he starts to take some steps to change that, including having a personally approved resource allocation in the form of AI chips for any AI product. At the same time, Scott has been asked by Satyannadella to conduct talks with open ai. Is Nadella and open Ai CEO Sam Altman had a very informal conversation about, you know, we should do something, and then they set Scott out to figure out what that was. And so shortly after the internal reforms that I just mentioned, Microsoft also announces that they're putting one billion dollars into open ai and you know, and there's been twelve billion more since then.
Speaker 2: And what that amounts to.
Speaker 15: Is that Microsoft, for pretty much the first time in history, is basically outsourced, you know, the underlying technology for one of the biggest platform shifts you know, in its history to another company, which is just huge for Microsoft.
Speaker 6: So score well, I have to say when I read this story for the first time, and Carol, you and I have been watching Microsoft stock for twenty five years together, for the first time.
Speaker 8: Is that true? Twenty five years together?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Wow?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 6: For the first time I understood how the cloud business and Windows and I never understood Get Hub or the Open Eye investment. Now I get how they all fit together really well to form, uh, to make a buttload of money. As I think you guys wrote, right, tell us Max, the potential of these the sort of co pilots that they're now releasing, right.
Speaker 16: So a lot of the kind of when you've been sort of following the popular press on AI, right, a lot of it is focused on like will computers replace humans? Are they going to take over the world? Are they gonna are are they going to like usher in some crazy science fiction future? And at Microsoft, you know, as Nan and I heard when we you know, spend time talking to the company, right, they're not thinking about it that way, really, I mean they are, but the but the more immediate concern is basically, how do we plug this software into these incredibly lucrative, not necessarily beloved, but very widely used apps. You know, the probably the best known ones are the office apps, Word Excel.
Speaker 5: And so on.
Speaker 16: And you know, Microsoft is so good at extracting revenue from software, from very expensive software.
Speaker 2: It's something like four hundred.
Speaker 16: Million people pay for Office, which is now called Microsoft three sixty five. But the idea here is that they're going to charge users between say ten and twenty dollars a month. These these are not official numbers. These are numbers that you know that that are basically our best gas based on a reporting, and that's going to potentially create just an enormous revenue opportunity where where you're able to get something like forty percent more revenue out of this product that already generates a ton of revenue. And then on top of that, Microsoft has this cloud computing business that Joel brought up, and because of the open ai deal where they control This is underappreciated, but Microsoft basically owns the computers that that open AI's chatbots are run on. They're able to kind of rent that space to open ai but also to other companies, and because of that, they're in a really good position, a position where like all of a sudden, you know, we've been thinking about, Microsoft is kind of an also ran in the in the cloud space, or maybe second place after Amazon, where they could really threaten the other players on cloud as well, and so that could be a huge amount of money.
Speaker 8: It's like an AI flywheel there thanks, right, we should.
Speaker 15: Unless you think we're you know, we're calculating these numbers. Run like on Monday, Microsoft CFO so that this AI business is going to be their first you know, first business.
Speaker 3: To ten billion dollars.
Speaker 15: I don't completely know what that means because it's not one business, as Max was just saying, some of its office, some of it's azure, some of it's being but you know, at minimum we know that what they're thinking about is also in the many billions of dollars.
Speaker 8: So the person, one of the people who was behind the scenes at Microsoft here, you know, was Kevin Scott, and I'm curious tell us more about his role in this AI initiative.
Speaker 15: Wait, so Kevin Scott is a really interesting person. First of all, he is a very different background.
Speaker 5: He's the chief technology by the way, Yeah, he's their.
Speaker 15: Chief technology officer. He comes from Appalachia, very you know, he's not a you know, he did not go to Stanford, so a different different background. He basically, you know, comes to Microsoft via the open A excuse me, the LinkedIn acquisition. They did not acquire open a. I a little bit of a Freudian slip there. So he comes to the Microsoft via LinkedIn, and almost immediately Satianadella names him chief technology Officer. He's, you know, his interesting background. He spent a bunch of time at Google.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 15: He knows Sam Altman for many, many years, and so he has a he has an interesting perspective. And it's not a redmand Washington, Microsoft headquarters perspective. It's a Silicon value perspective. And so he gets put in charge of coming up with a way to rationalize Microsoft AI business, make it more impactful, make it add up to you know, a much more significant thing. And Nadela also puts him in charge of the relationship with Open Ai. So he ends up being the goal between and you know, and still is uh. And you know, he had to figure out, you know, how to balance those things because of course, you know, he while he's putting more constraints on the quality and quantity of Microsoft's internal AI work, he's you know, giving a lot of money, you know, to to Open AI. And you know, we reported some people inside Microsoft were not super comfortable with that. They felt like, you know, perhaps we could do this here. We we love that money, we could do this in house. And you know, it was a huge change for Microsoft is a huge change for Nedella to rely on an outside party for this kind of work.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad Bill Gates was like in it from the get go. So Max talked to us about Gates because he wasn't on board initially.
Speaker 16: Yeah, And I mean it's pretty interesting because you know, Gates has sort of been out of Microsoft in most official capacities since twenty twenty when he left the board, but he has continued, as we write in the stories, continue to advise company and on AI. You know, they listened to him because because this is an area of interest for Gates, and Gates you know, was against the open Ai deal, the original deal, the one that Dina mentioned for a billion dollars. And as Microsoft sort of started as things started to pick up momentum and and Microsoft is starting to think about like incorporating these chatbots into products, Gates was against it, and as Sam Altman and and and the Open Ai team essentially had to win him over. In this like presentation at Bill Gates's house, they they showed off basically a version of the kind of chatbot that we all saw, but it was with the more advanced UH technology behind at GPT four and Uh, they showed they proved to Bill Gates, or or they believe they proved. They showed what they said was the chatbot passing the ap bio exam, which was the the bar that Bill Gates had had set for the company. And and and kind of once they did that, once they had this kind of clear the hurdle with Gates, Microsoft went full steam and people, people forget this all happened very quickly. That that meeting was in you know, last summer, and and and the Being thing, the the the original being thing was only in February. And since then, you know, they've they've added it to basically like every product in their portfolio. Some of these are not public yet there's still pilots or whatever, but it's basically coming across the board. You know, risks complaints from ethesis all that be damned.
Speaker 8: Okay, so you hit on the ethical thing there. We I think all of us have spent a lot of time already talking about some of this. But the Prometheus bit, let's talk about that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, come on.
Speaker 15: Indeed, So Prometheus was the code name for the underlying model and the big bot, so the big chatbot, and you know, when they announced it in February. I was kind of a little bit ranty at the event because I thought it was a really interesting code name choice, because you know, on the one hand, you know, Prometheus is the one who brings fire to humankind and and you know, dramatically changes.
Speaker 3: The future of human history.
Speaker 15: So you can see Microsoft, you know, and opening it to some extent perhaps seeing this this work is bringing this new superpower to humans. But you know, Prometheus punished for it, right you know, he's you know, has his livery eaten every day. And so I thought it was such an interesting quandary of you know, is this a superpower, is this a good thing that we're bringing it to humankind, or is it something that maybe you know, humans shouldn't be playing with, or that you know, are we you know, are we you know, opening up, you know, to grab another Greek metaphor of Pandora's box In some way, I thought it was a very interesting metaphor for you know, for them to grab that particular code that took me back to school.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 6: This is, by the way, when Reto Grigory hired me in nineteen ninety nine, one of the first things he taught me was don't buy into the pr jargon, right, They're trying to spin the story by using phrases, and I wonder if we're doing that essentially when we call it artificial intelligence. Parmie Olsen wrote a great I think piece a couple months back saying calling it artificial intelligence basically abdicates them, you know, the Elon Musk's or the Sam Altman's of the world, of responsibility for when this software program starts doing bad things like you know, uh possibly yeah, well like potentially, like I think Dina pointed out, you know, it could be used to bar certain groups from getting mortgages or give them higher prices.
Speaker 15: You know, it could it is already doing. That's I think to me, this is the formulation. Right, So we are now whether it's artificial intelligence, you know, a term that's you know, even older than Microsoft word and work in the field, and we're going back to the you know, the sixties and for some of this, but we are now seeing people including Elon Musk, including you know, Jeff Hinton, you know, one of the founders of the current generation of technology that we're working on, talking about these existential questions these Sam Altman as well extinction, things like that, and the focus at this point, it's sucking all the air out of the room. We're not talking about the harms that these systems, and I'm not talking about being I'm talking about systems that have been around for a couple of years. These systems already cause harm to people. They're already mortgage algorithms. We can argue which ones are artificial intelligence and which ones aren't, but they do not equitably, you know, give people mortgages. There underrepresented populations, certain zip codes that are disadvantaged by that. You know, we've talked in the past on this program. We talked last week about bias in image recognition and policing. There are already harms before you go to the hey, we're we end up extate.
Speaker 16: And it's but it's great marketing, and I think that's part of one of well, it's one of the reasons they love talking about the apocalyptic stuff because if it's going to cause an apocalypse, that means it's working, right, and it assumes that it's working.
Speaker 8: Sure, I'll give you my favorite part of the story to as we wrap here, which is Microsoft executive saying this is a little bit like our Windows ninety five moment is just to bring it back of like how nerdy Microsoft can be.
Speaker 3: Check out the new issue of BusinessWeek. It's a killer. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. That's just live weekdays from two to five pm Easter on Bloomberg Radio, the Bloomberg Business app and YouTube. You can also listen live to our flagship New York station Just say Alexa play Bloomberg.
Speaker 5: You love and Turty.
Speaker 8: I'm kicking what they gave in because I'm working for them.
Speaker 6: All right, we are, We've arrived at that point in my day. I have say it's my favorite point of the show. And we talk about one story from the Business business Week magazine. This is going to be the forthcoming issue of BusinessWeek magazine, and we typically talk to Joel Weber, the editor in chief, as well as the author of the story. We're fortunate enough to have Ellen Hewitt with us right now. She wrote the Layoffs and AI are Changing text once invincible job market story, and Ellen, I thought it was a fantastic job of reporting and a little bit of a bummer.
Speaker 5: Right because I.
Speaker 6: Had thought as well as probably many of the kids graduating college today that if you learn to code and you're like halfway good at it, then your set for a sweet job in Silicon Valley for like the rest of your life. And it now seems that's no longer the case.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, this is kind of the big mood shift in Silicon Valley, which is the learning to code is not a guarantee of amazing forever employment anymore. To be clear, there's still a lot of people who want to hire software engineers, especially firms that are outside of tech, like in healthcare and finance. They're definitely looking for coders. But there is this noticeable shift that people are experiencing, which is this once infinite fountain of high paying jobs where you know, companies were just always always hiring, that's not happening anymore.
Speaker 6: One thing I saw is that there have been two hundred thousand layoffs in tech this year. You found a website that essentially aggregates all of the layoffs, but eighty thousand of those happened in January. So what I'm wondering is, are the layoffs kind of slowing down? Does it look like maybe it's not as bad as it was at the start of the year.
Speaker 10: Now, Yes, that's definitely what the numbers are showing, so our in our story. We have a wonderful chart. This data comes from layoffs at fyi, which is a hilarious site, very well run by just a startup founder who started during COVID collecting layoff numbers and putting them in this wonderful data website. So you see a bit of a peak right after the start of a pandemic, and then a drop, and then it really started to pick up mid last year and peaked in January, and now it's actually leveling out. So probably it seems like the worst is behind us, but it definitely has. You know, the repercussions of this are going to be felt for a very long time.
Speaker 8: What I was, what I've been thinking about ever since it felt like there was this real major mood shift, was just what that what that feels like in the valley? Ellen, And I'm curious, like being there feeling like you could do anything you wanted forever. How are from the sources you spoke with, how is that manifesting itself? This decision?
Speaker 10: Yeah, mood all sorts of ways. I mean, everyone knows, you know, a lot of people are just getting laid off, you know, in the way that people you know, generally you might have expected that recruiters or people who work in sales might be the first to go. This time, it's like senior engineers have worked at firms like Google for ten or fifteen years are getting laid off. And there are people who I know who just, yeah, I've worked at a company for you know, worked at Facebook for ten years, and are getting laid off and feeling this sense that you know, I also have a friend who considered leaving her job, but then was like, I just don't think I'm going to get another good one right now, so I'm going to stay at this job that I don't super like. It's just this kind of feeling that is suffusing everywhere in the industry. And then, you know, we had this wonderful conversation with this new grad Dylan, who just graduated from Cornell with a CS degree, had interned at all these great places Google, Facebook, Stripe, Figma, and had a Google off and then it was rescinded. And it's just this sense that this dependable thing isn't happening anymore, and you see it making people nervous, You make you see them nervous to switch jobs or just like you know, looking for jobs and not finding what they want. And there's actually a pretty sense, you know, a pretty big sense of fear among some people. Like Dylan. Again, this new grad was talking about how some of his peers are accepting multiple job offers because they're concerned that one of them is going to get rescinded, and they have reason to believe.
Speaker 2: That it might.
Speaker 8: That new grad phenomenon is the one that I find most interesting, because these were the people like you were just they were just getting swept up and money thrown at them. And especially like in Dylan's case, he had multiple internships at all the blue chip places. There's this helpless quality that it must feel like to be in that twenty something age. Ellen, And I'm curious when you who's the most freaked out. The twenty somethings are the people who been in the industry for a little bit and have you know, weather changed before.
Speaker 10: I mean, they're freaked out in different ways. The twenty somethings are like, wow, I really thought that I was picking the most obvious, most stable, most high paying career, and now it's none of those things. Or I might have to struggle to get a job. Meanwhile, you know, I talked to someone who's telling me stories about peers of his who are maybe in their forties or fifties, who have worked in Silicon Valley during these boom times, have gotten used to incredibly high cost of living in places like New York and San Francisco, and are now accustomed to a standard of living that may no longer be accessible to them. Like I talked to a VC who said his friend who had been laid off was looking for a new job and his minimum salary requirement was six hundred thousand dollars, and he was just like that, you may not be able to find that anymore. And if you're used, you know, if you have kids in private school, like you get these golden handcuffs, and those people are scared too. I think they're experiencing a shift in what they expected would be available.
Speaker 6: Well, the thing is, ellen, if you need to charge a jet for a fishing trip in Alaska, you know that's not cheap anymore.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was never yeah, but now it's really not.
Speaker 10: I really did appreciate. You know, there's a wonderful part in the story where yeah, we kind of reminisce about what the boom times looked like in Silicon Valley in the mid twenty tens. It was out of control, right, We're talking about perks and salaries and stock grants and these kinds of things that were you know, these companies Facebook, Google, they were just throwing money at their employees. In fact, they would often hire promising workers simply to have them kind of in their corner without a specific job for them. So again I talked to this PC who had been a product manager at Instagram in twenty fourteen when it was owned by Facebook, and he said he was hired as a product manager. He didn't have a job yet. He was like going to be assigned to a team, but just spent three months getting trained, spending an hour every morning reading a novel over breakfast, and then having some casual meetings. And then at the end of the three months he was finally assigned a job. But he spent you know, and knew of people who had been hired just so that they wouldn't go work at a rival. And that was that sense of money that really created Silicon Valley for more than a decade.
Speaker 17: It sounds like sorry, Ellen, it just sounds like another one of those things that goes away, and when we don't have a zero interest rate environment, you get less of that kind of just getting brought on.
Speaker 8: Everything.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's a great.
Speaker 17: Actually, yeah, I'm just being smart, you know what I mean. But one thing that I'm curious about too is whether these companies are sort of blaming AI to be able to fire or lay off their employees and to kind of get away with it. Yeah, did you did you find that in your reporting?
Speaker 10: There's definitely a sense that AI is like the idea of the day, and so people are pointing to it for different reasons, one of which is, yes, there are some CEOs who over hired at the beginning of the pandemic when it looked like tech was going to have this boom time. Now they're seeing that that boom time is not around, they're going to lay people off, and they're citing not necessarily AI taking jobs, but just the need to maybe realign the company in order to be able to focus on AI, which then means that they can cut some jobs. So it's a bit of a face saving thing. It may also be a real thing that companies are investing more energy into it. Of course, in our story we also talked about how AI and machine learning specialists in software engineering are getting paid twelve percent on average more than other senior software engineers. There is genuinely a desire to hire these types of people. AI is not replacing jobs yet, but there is this feeling that it's going to shake things up, and that that shakeup may lead to some new hiring and areas and cuts in other places.
Speaker 17: All right, Ellen, well, thank you so much for joining us. We're going to have to leave it there so we can get back to this Trump news today, but really appreciate you joining us and the story, of course, which will be featured in the forthcoming issue of BusinessWeek magazine.
Speaker 3: You can read it.
Speaker 17: Now on the Bloomberg Term and at Bloomberg dot com slash BusinessWeek.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Catch us live weekdays from two to five pm Easter on Bloomberg Radio, the Bloomberg Business app, and you too. You can also listen live to our flagship New York station, just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 3: We're going to talk DC because you've got the Washington Capitals, the Wizards, the Washington Mystics. She've got Team Liquid, You've got the Capital One Arena, You've got NBC Sports Washington, and so much more. Add it all up, you get Montaman, Monumental Sports and Entertainment, a four billion dollars sports empire headed by Ted Leonsis. He's a New Yorker, he's a businessman and more. But with us right now ahead of Tonight's episode of Chief Future Officer airing at nine thirty pm Wall Street Time on Bloomberg Television is Peter bsche He's the CFO of Monumental Sports and Entertainment. He joins us on Zoom from Washington, d C. Peter, it is really great to have you here on Bloomberg Business Week. First of all, you know, talk to us about your life on a daily basis and what it's like to be a CFO of Monumental sports. And I ask you on a day when we have been laser focused on something like the FED, and I'm curious about the macro. We're going to get into what you guys are doing and everything under the Monumental brand, But what is it on a macro basis that you guys talk about with you and your team.
Speaker 18: So we talk about our consumers, our customers. We talk about what's happening in the economy obviously, and whatever happens there in fact impacts our customers. We're in the media business, We're in the disposable income business. People have different ways to spend their money, so we are We think about that a lot. Jobs, inflation, interest rates, not so much impacting us directly, but impacting our customers.
Speaker 11: So that's something we talk a lot about.
Speaker 6: What does disposable income look like right now? You know, I often bring up the stats of excess savings left in consumers accounts right now. We to that about one point two trillion dollars essentially left over from stimulus. Now, a lot people strike back on Twitter. Let's say you're wrong. You know, we don't have any money, and I get that some people don't, but what does what does your client base have?
Speaker 11: Yeah, you know, we're in an interesting business.
Speaker 18: We're in the media business if you really think about it, and so again, disposable income. But we are also so much a part of the fabric of our community. People have grown up in sports, whether it's on the youth level of the high school collegiate professional level, so it's really part of their life in a way that a lot of businesses or products aren't. So coming out of for example COVID, where we were essentially shut down for two years, the demand back was phenomenal. We came back instantly again because I think people like sports, they like it live, they of course like it on their screens, where the vast majority of them to consume us. The other part of our business, and you mentioned all our teams, but we're really a live entertainment business, and that we have a lot of events here at the arena and our.
Speaker 11: Other facilities that aren't just our teams.
Speaker 18: Tonight we have a major wrestling event, So that that side of the business, that side of the live entertainment business that occupies our buildings came back very strong as well.
Speaker 11: The concert business.
Speaker 18: We all so what's happened recently with certain very high profile acts, so our businesses, I won't say with a recession proof that what impacts us more is our team performance. So if we have a downcycle on the teams, that's much more impactful than a downcycle into the economy.
Speaker 3: Peter, who want to get more deeper into sports, but when you look at the economic outlook, does it say to you recession? Does it say now we're going to skip it out?
Speaker 18: You know, I think that's what you all and your other guests down at Bloomber get paid.
Speaker 11: To a pine on that's not really my area.
Speaker 18: If you wanted to ask who we should pick in the next draft, which is coming up, I might have a view on that.
Speaker 6: I don't believe it. I don't believe Listen. We do spend a lot of time talking about J. Powell, but I guarantee that it's J. Powell ran into you. He would want to pick your brain to figure out what's going on in the economy because you're the kind of people he wants to talk to.
Speaker 11: Now, I think, as I said, we've done well.
Speaker 18: We are concerned, like many people are, with cities commercial real estate that impacts us here, particularly in a market like Washington, so we pay close attention to that. We have a lot of our corporate partners. Obviously we have people buy tickets, but we have sponsors and their businesses are impacted by what's going.
Speaker 11: On in the economy.
Speaker 18: Again, the commercial real estate world concerns us a little bit. We're downtown, we need fans comfortable coming here, their fan experience, fan safety, all those things are very important to us. I don't know whether mister Powell would focus on that, but that's what we focus on our fan experience. We think of it as driveway to driveway, when they leave their driveway to come here, and then when they return, we've got to make that a seamless and experience as possible. Obviously, we control what happens in the building here, but silly things like traffic and public transportation and all that that really matters to us.
Speaker 3: Well, we're just thinking he might. I don't know is the Grateful Dead playing at the Capitol Arena because he might come to see it because he does like the Dead.
Speaker 18: Well, the Dead no longer exists, but what do they call themselves?
Speaker 6: Dead and Company? I think they play Toctal City Music Theater.
Speaker 18: I don't know whether they're on tour or not. We're sort of the only game in town, so if they play in Washington, they would be playing here.
Speaker 6: They are on tour, they're playing city Field on next Wednesday and Thursday.
Speaker 18: So people play indoor buildings, particularly older acts tend to play indoor buildings like hours, they're an older act. But in the summertime, obviously, the football and baseball stadiums can hold a lot more people than we can with twenty thousand dollars. Here, become a rainy night or a cold November day, they'd be very happy to be inside with us, Peter.
Speaker 3: One thing that is certainly a great economic and market indicator is when companies are willing to expand grow their business, you know, take on debt, you build out their business, or possibly you know, expand their franchises. And I'm just wondering along those lines. The Washington Nationals are said to be coming up for sale, reports that you guys might be interested. Are you enthusiastic maybe about doing something like that? Is that a possibility?
Speaker 18: You know, there's there's been a lot of reports out there. The team was on the market. It's no longer technically on the market. We view ourselves here as having a platform. You've mentioned we have a couple of teams, we have, have a dozen venues. We now own our network. So for us, we have this platform and if we can add like businesses to it, it's tremendous.
Speaker 11: We have tremendous operating leverage in the business.
Speaker 18: Makes a lot of sense from a media point of view, we really are focused on the region now. For us, the region runs all the way up to Philadelphia and down into maybe even North Carolina and west from here. So adding to the platform, we're six hundred and fifty million dollars in revenue news revenues now Ted Chamer wants to get to a billion. We'll do some of that organically, just growing what we have. Some of it will also be adding businesses to the platform. I'm not going to name names.
Speaker 5: That there's no matter how hard you try here make a lot of sense.
Speaker 3: I tried to kind of weave it together and was hoping.
Speaker 6: A little bit of a slip. You wanted a little bit of a slip there from.
Speaker 3: Pete No, no, I respect. I respect Peter. Having said that, we did mention the teams. You know, you guys have esports gaming. As you said, you're a media Company's where's the growth. Where's the biggest amount of growth?
Speaker 18: You know, I think it really is on the media side. We can't really add seats here in the building. We can raise prices, but it's about getting eyeballs. We really need eyeballs, and as you all are very familiar with with the changing media's landscape and the regional sports network.
Speaker 11: Cord cutting, we need to be.
Speaker 18: Getting to our fans however they want to consume us, whether it's again on a traditional TV with a copper wire coming in, or it's on their hand held or whatever. So our growth is more eyeballs, but getting to them in ways that we haven't gotten to them in the past.
Speaker 11: One of the reasons where.
Speaker 18: In esports, particularly sports related to basketball and hockey, is that's a way of connecting with the younger fan, and we need to connect with the younger fans.
Speaker 11: So esports is that.
Speaker 18: One of the reasons where active and it's all over the country, all over the world and sports gaming is that's the way to connect with our fans. We have fans who have an interest in doing that. We need to have a product, whether it's a channel or distribution to reach those fans, younger fans, fans who have a very specific interest, whether it's gaming.
Speaker 11: That's where our growth is going to be. It's going to be more. That's where our organic growth will be is in more eyeballs.
Speaker 3: You know, Peter, I got to be honest, like you know this. You've been there for I think what two decades, I mean, coming off the financial crisis, we realized how important chief financial officers are in keeping businesses growing. I think we used to be for such a long time. It's the earnings call. They pop on the earnings call, they do the numbers, and then they go away. Being a CFO is so key in terms of the strategy that's deployed at companies today. And you talked earlier about you know, how you guys have really made a mark, you know, in the DC area. But does that mean that becoming even more national is not on the table or could you when you talk about growth and expansion and more eyeballs, you know, continue to think about building out your brands nationally.
Speaker 11: Well.
Speaker 18: Well, obviously our teams through the leagues have a national presence, right, the NBA.
Speaker 3: NHL, Right, But you know what I mean, you know what I supposed nationally.
Speaker 18: I think we've got a lot of work to do here at home, a lot of opportunity in our market, and there's a lot of value from our point of view. I used this word already on the platform. You can it expand perhaps, but we need to do what we need to do to get to a billion dollars and we think we can do it. And oh, by the way, Washington's a great place to do it in there. There are obviously other important cities in this country, but Washington is one of those, and so we're excited to be here. Not to knock other cities, but we think this is a great place to be.
Speaker 6: You can knock other cities. Washington is an awesome sports town.
Speaker 5: I gotta say.
Speaker 6: You know, people who live down there really root for their teams. They really get into it in a way that people in other cities sidetracked by other stuff really don't.
Speaker 3: But if you only had a baseball.
Speaker 18: Team, well, you know, we've had some success. We won the Stanley Cup a few years ago. Our women's team won the WNDA Championship. The Nationals, who you keep mentioning, won the World Series in twenty nineteen. So it's been a few years, but we've had a lot of recent success with our professional sports team.
Speaker 6: So is the NWNBA starting to pick up? You know, there's so much talk about pay parody, and to that, snarky men always say, well, if you want them to get paid the same, go see the game. You know, are people starting to fill up those seats.
Speaker 18: Yes, and I don't think it's I think it's in women's sports overall at the collegiate level, at the professional level, not just in this country, in Europe for example as well, when we see in the growth of women's professional soccer teams often sistering with an EPL team or a lot of legal team. So I think there's a rising tide raising all those boats. I think the WNBA was at the forefront of that twenty years ago when it first started. They've done some great things in terms of raising growth capital at the league level, which is a fairly unusual thing for professional sports leagues to do. So I think the future is very, very bright for women's sports, but also for the WNBA in particular, and particularly in Washington. Obviously, the mix of professionals here includes a lot of women in very very significant roles, so we're excited about that as well.
Speaker 3: Hey, listen, I want to ask you about something very serious if I may, because it certainly has been a high topic here at Bloomberg, certainly in the financial community. When this story crossed, I think it was the most read on the Bloomberg and stayed that way for the day. And this has to do with the PGA tour and live golf and the increasingly growing role of Saudi Arabia and their money when it comes to global sports. And I'm just curious what you what your opinion of that is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think is it good?
Speaker 11: Okay?
Speaker 18: There there have been sort of startup leagues that have grown in the past, whether it.
Speaker 4: Was the the old AFL or the the you know, competing NBA, wh and hockey, So that's been a common thing, perhaps not as much of resent people have tried with the XFL and others.
Speaker 18: So alternative leagues I think are always going to come up. Often they result in merging, as the AFL and NFL did, and the a BA the NBA, and so I'm sort of not surprised that followed that path, maybe a little quicker and people might have expected. As to the specific sources of funding, I'm really reluctant to comment on that. I think one thing I will say is sports teams. The sports business has gotten so much bigger, teams so much more valuable that opening up new pools of capital, as the number of the leagues have done to institutional investors and the like, is just going to be critical to grow the game. And we're international brands, particularly the NBA, so international sources of money I think are going to be required to get where we want to go.
Speaker 6: I want to ask about speaking of international William Hill, I think has spot in your arena there. What's the arrangement and how has that growth been? Because you know, I lived in London for a long time. British kids learn spread betting when they're like five years old and then they do it for the rest of their lives. Here in the US, it's starting to pick up. It's starting to really catch on as a form of entertainment. Well, what's your experience been?
Speaker 11: Yeah, so I got to just give a shout out. It's actually Caesar's Now.
Speaker 18: Caesar's acquired the US operations of William Hill and they are important partners.
Speaker 11: I got to get their name out there.
Speaker 18: No, I think it's always been out there, but it's been in the dark, it's been offshore, it's been unregulated, often not good people taking advantage of good people. So having light on it, sunshine on it, I think that we think is critical. I think it's critical. So we have a partnership with Caesars. We have no interest direct or indirect and the betting that happens there. They're a tenant in the building, they rent the space where the sports book is. They buy a lot of advertising, which is why I gave Caesars the shout out. But no leagues, no teams want to have any interest in the actual betting. For obviously it's not good for our integrity, it's not good for the fans thinking that these games are on the up and up. But again, I think we want to knowledge that's out there and bringing it into the light of day is a good thing. As I said earlier, though, it's also whay if our fans engage with the game, and we need to always be figuring out new ways to engage with our fans as they distracted by, you know, watching Yellowstone or whatever else they're TikTok or wherever else is going to be doing. So that's just another way of doing it.
Speaker 11: All right.
Speaker 3: One thing we didn't ask you, are you going to buy the Washington Nationals?
Speaker 11: Well, I think you did ask me that a couple of times.
Speaker 3: All right, have any easier question, Might you guys go public.
Speaker 18: Pools of capital? We need pools of capital at the right time. I think we need to be bigger, definitely, it's something we'd think about. Market's got to be ready. But there are advantages to having the liquidity, to having a currency for acquisition. All the reasons other companies are public would make sense for US. Liquidity, currency, that kind of thing, and someday perhaps.
Speaker 3: Well, Peter, you are and no pun intended. Truly a good sport. We really enjoyed this and we're looking forward to it. Be well. Have a good season seasons. Peter, Chief Financial Officer, Monumental Sports and Entertainment on Zoom from Washington, d C. He will be featured in tonight's episode of Chief Future Officer, airing at nine to thirty pm Wall Street Time on Bloomberg TV. I love talking sports.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and a very cool show, Chief Future Officer. Tune in for that.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Catch us live weekdays from two to five pm Eastern.
Speaker 8: On Bloomberg Radio, the Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: Business App, and YouTube. You can also listen live to our flagship New York station, Just Say Alexa, play Bloomberg You love Them thirty.
Speaker 15: At your mot alone on the way, all right, I don't even think I can introduce this one.
Speaker 3: I think this is all yours, buddy.
Speaker 6: All right, So Matt Chambers is a guy who became famous, or at least well known to me when he made Confederate motorcycles.
Speaker 5: They were, you know.
Speaker 6: Big display spent twins cruisers, and at one point he kind of made this really cool pivot to electric bikes and also changed the name to Curtis. And I was following along this whole saga on social media. I just thought it was so cool and the motorcycles are beautiful. And then one day I was sitting on my couch in Berlin and I saw that they were actually offering shares for sale to the public, not through like a Wall Street IPO, but kind of like a power to the people way to invest. And he did said yes, and Clickton bought shares in Curtis. So now I am full disclosure.
Speaker 3: Yes a shareholder, Matthew, come on in and tell us little bit about the business and to one of your shareholders and to our audience if you will.
Speaker 2: Well, that's that's great to hear. Thanks for having me on. Yeah, we spent twenty five years in this what I would call kind of the AMG aification of Harley wanting to if Harley was some Mercedes and motorcycles, we would soup them up a little bit. We did a really good job with that. We learned a lot. It was it was like an apprenticeship, and we kind of hit the end of the road in terms of being able to make a better IC. And on June twenty ninth of twenty sixteen, we made a firm pivot, got rid of everything to do with IC, cleansed our minds, and went one hundred percent into the dream of making the best motorcycle in the world and it would just happen to be electric. And we were wed. We did a lot of work on our own, with our own, with the team we had at the time. Then I got this gentleman JT to come back, who had done a bike. Matt. You probably know that bike the rate. It was a pretty interesting motorcycle that we conjured. It was very aircrafty. Then we did the Fighter. It had all this machine stuff going on and it's a very precise, a more precise way to make a bike. And then JT invented this patented idea, this idea of tapping the axle the shaft through the motor some actually making a motorcycle symmetrical, the dream of an inside out made organic machine. It just all came together. So now it's about two years later than I thought. But we're very close, Matt, and thank you for being the shareholder, and I believe we're going to do really, really, really well.
Speaker 15: Well.
Speaker 6: One thing, I one day, I would like to ride one of these bikes, because in so many ways you challenge the norms of you know, the peril twin, parallel forks, and the way a swing arm works and the drive shaft as you say, and how does it handle when you get out and ride this bike, or what is the feedback that you get from people who are testing these out?
Speaker 2: If you had the experience of being in the business for a long time like me, one of the things, one of the things that would be troublesome is all of the shunt from the first time I all one of our bikes, and our bikes were packaged better than the others. I mean, we we invented our own packaging with the ice and the V twin. It was better. We turned it into a monocoque. It was a far better way to make a motorcycle. But man, when you would when you would run that thing on a Dino, it was it was shunty and violent. With JT's invention and the symmetry, the bike is a little more balanced, it's a little more beautiful. But even even more importantly, I believe, is it has the way the way you access the power is just so sublime, and it gives the bike a little more fidelity, It gives you more confidence. So the experience of riding it is I believe the best that I've ever encountered on a motorcycle. I'm very confident that this is the best motor.
Speaker 3: So I'm just going to ask you some business questions. I mean, how much have you how many are you selling, what's the growth rate that you're seeing, and what do they cost?
Speaker 2: Well, the bike, the bike is a hyperluxury item and that plays into our deck. We have about thirteen hundred customers and those are pretty much all ultra high network, so we and we've we have enough to break even the first year. I believe it's about twenty five firm deals and we have another one hundred and five to sell. We're we're thinking really small, so we we believe we will ultimately be the most valuable American motorcycle company by say twenty thirty, more valuable than Live Wire, I mean electric motorcycle company. And the way we're going to do that is by doing by hitting a bogie of fifty million of sales around twenty seven to twenty eight, but bringing in a thirty but a thirty percent of the dof fifty percent gross margins, So we're we're right now. We're hitting about one hundred thousand of net revenue per unit, and our costs will be will be south of fifty thousands. We have a good margin, so it's kind of a Tesla coming at hyperluxury. Our next product will be sixty. We're very comfortable we can hit the thirty thousand dollars of cost of good sold on that product in twenty twenty seven. But the first thing is these one hundred and thirty initial customers, and we feel like we've got them already. We do have two thousand qualified expressions of interest along with our deck of owners, numerous of whom have said they will be buying a bike. But as Matt, you probably would agree that the transfer from ice to electric is it's something that an individual has to come up with in his own time. I worked with a guy named Treblanche for years and he pounded me out and he used to just beat me to death about it. We got to go electric and I was like, shut up, dude, I hate it. And then then one day a light went off, you know, I finally you know, he was right the whole time. But it's funny.
Speaker 8: I think you're right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it takes I think it takes a long time, but then when it happens, it's like a switch is flipped, and then all of a sudden you kind of realize the benefits.
Speaker 5: Not to say that.
Speaker 6: You you know, throw away all of your love for the bikes you've ridden in the past. The internal combustion engines. But it's just a whole new experience. And I'm so excited. I'm so happy that you guys are doing this, and I'm so glad we could have had you on.
Speaker 7: Matt.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. We really appreciate it, so appreciate.
Speaker 3: Wait, so, just because folks in our control are wondering, so how much does it? Say how much does one cost? And you said, hyper luxury.
Speaker 2: It's one hundred and twenty thousand that's where it starts and it can certainly go up from there. But if you see the bike, Carol, it's worth It's worth it.
Speaker 5: I say it.
Speaker 2: No one would see it. It's lovely.
Speaker 3: I said to Matt before we get started. I was on your website. They are gorgeous and they are unlike anything else you see when it comes to if you're looking at bikes.
Speaker 6: And the engineering is revolutionary and machining, it's so precise.
Speaker 5: It's just that it will last you for all of a turn.
Speaker 3: I was asking for our community. Matt, thank you so much. Come back soon. Matt Chambers. He's chief executive Officer, Chairman of the board of Curtis Motorcycle. Ticker is CMOT and he's joining us from Leeds, Alabama via zoom. Carol Masser, Matthew Miller, Matt's got a smile.
Speaker 8: This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Business Week podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcast. Listen live each weekday is starting at two pm Eastern on Bloomberg dot Com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business App. You can also watch us live on Bloomberg Quick take every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal