Speaker 1: Yeah, no, we should probably do a show. You want to do a show? Hey, we can send an.
Speaker 2: Awkward silence and just at each other.
Speaker 3: We were just sitting here in silence, you guys, because because because no one.
Speaker 1: Told us what to do.
Speaker 2: No, because we're waiting for a next guest to enter.
Speaker 3: The guest right and to end the waiting room. And then I was like, well, wait, don't we have to do some pre show chatter? And we were like oh yeah, and our producer was like, yeah, we were just waiting for you guys to start talking anytime and do a show.
Speaker 1: So like, are frozen? What's up with?
Speaker 3: Welcome to uh unprepared Tana Ritos. No, welcome to uh, how rude Tana Ritos. We're so glad you're here. I was what I was about to say when I realized we should just start our pre show chatter, is that.
Speaker 1: I went. I went to Trader Joe's last night.
Speaker 3: And I I bought way too much pumpkin flavored.
Speaker 2: Oh I forgot you're a pumpkin.
Speaker 1: Spice person, Sam.
Speaker 3: I look, I drew the line at some things, but I I just had a little overnight oats and it was pumpkin. It had like pumpkin it was delicious.
Speaker 2: Well that's okay, that's a nice fall breakfast. I can't get on board with that when it's when they're selling like pumpkin spice cereal and pumpkin spice.
Speaker 3: They are pumpkin Spice o's, and I'm going to need you to call them by their proper name. Okay, I did not buy them, but I'm going to buy them. I was like, I was just looking at cereal we already had, and I was like, okay, wait, I don't need that much cereal, but I'm going to go back for the pumpkin os don't.
Speaker 1: Right, Hey, how dare you you?
Speaker 3: Funny came out with pumpkin o's today? I would one hundred percent do that commercial. I'm sure you would, Yes, exactly. That would be your jam right up your alley.
Speaker 2: No I can. I'll have like one pumpkin spice latte and be like, yeah, I'm good for the next twelve months. I'm good. So I'm a well won a season.
Speaker 3: I don't drink them as often as I used to because they're like a lot of sugar. I basically do like half the amount of the pumpkin spice syrup and twice the amount of coffee, so there's like just a hint of fall. No, I don't want the whipped cream on top. I don't want the like. I want it to be coffee with a slight pumpkin vibe. But I do have rules about when I will order my first pumpkin spice latte of the year. You have rules this, well, rules, but things that I feel comfortable doing with myself.
Speaker 2: That okay, So how do you order it? What are your instructions?
Speaker 1: No, it's not the instructions, it's the timing. Oh you can't. You can't order.
Speaker 3: Like a hot First of all, you can't order an iced pumpkin spice latte. To me, that's sacrilegious. It's not if you're ordering pumpkin spice. It's got to be cold enough outside that you need a sweater. That being said, that is the second thing. I will only order hot pumpkin spice lattes and only if I am wearing a sweater or something cozy and I feel the need to warm up.
Speaker 2: I approve it.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's it's it's a it's part of a vibe for me, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And I don't want to. I don't want it to be preemptively done.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't want to mix in my my late summer vibes with my with my fall coziness.
Speaker 1: You know, it's they are separate times of the year.
Speaker 2: So anyway, you don't want to confuse your brain like you gotta be like no, no, no, no, You've got to it's cold outside.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and I'm going to hot decorate for fall this weekend much too. Mescal's uh chagrin. He's always like, oh, here come the decorations. So I even I bought a new decoration. When we were at Cracker Barrel.
Speaker 2: I saw, yeah, the whole team, Lance Bass and the rest of the iHeart team all bought.
Speaker 3: Lance bought one, uh who yeah, a couple of producers and we all we took all like the last ones of the little TV which thing.
Speaker 1: It's it's exclusive at Cracker Barrel. Do you only get it there?
Speaker 2: You're their target audience right here.
Speaker 1: I am, oh, I am.
Speaker 2: I bought the foodge really good.
Speaker 3: Just I go in that store and I look at things, and I like all the Li Home decorse stuff, and I go, oh, man, I've become my mother.
Speaker 1: So anyway, which is great, Which is great?
Speaker 3: Janas Sweeton, Jana Sweeton, you're listening. You have an amazing decorating style, and you know that I get my love of holiday decord from you.
Speaker 1: So anyway, we love you, mom.
Speaker 2: Uh that being said, our guest is here, so should we let him in?
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: Let's let him in and chat. I'm excited for this one.
Speaker 1: This is great DJ's first kiss.
Speaker 2: Hey there, Fana Ritos. Welcome to an all new episode of How Rude Tanner Ritos. Now, not too long ago, I interviewed my very first kiss on the podcast. But what about DJ Tanner's first kiss. We're sure you all remember Scott Curtis aka Kevin Gwen as he played a huge part on the show and DJ's life. I mean, no one forgets their very first kiss. Lucky for us, we have Scott joining us today to tell us all about his time on Full House. So everyone please give a warm welcome to Scott. Hey, you have to unmute yourself.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 3: There, Hey, good podcast. Finally, Yeah, nice to see you. Just about you know, we jump right into the podcast, so so you're in your we're recording.
Speaker 4: Welcome, So I wanted to start.
Speaker 5: This was my daughter Kylie, and she's a part of this story because I came home from work one day and she says, Daddy, you're on Fuller House. And I said, no, sweetheart, you know it was it was full House and she said, no, it was Fuller House. So she hit the remote and went to the kiss flashback seat.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and oh my gosh, you're right.
Speaker 4: I guess I am on Fuller House now as well.
Speaker 2: No, that was a sweet that was a sweet episode.
Speaker 3: Actually, that's you, dad, What was What was it like seeing your dad as a as a kid like actor.
Speaker 4: It's weird.
Speaker 1: It's weird.
Speaker 2: It's very weird. It seems like it's kind of cool telling all my friends, like, my dad's on full House.
Speaker 4: It seems like a life to me too. Yeah, years ago, right.
Speaker 2: I can imagine. I can imagine how weird that is for you and your kids.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us, Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's kind of cool. We should always get a kid in here, right, like everyone's kid.
Speaker 4: Obviously.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. That's I'm glad you brought her on. That was so good. Yeah, oh, Scott, it's so great. To see you again. We've been talking about you. We're getting ready to watch the thirteen Candles episode where you first appear as Kevin Gwynn DJ's first kiss, and so we got to get it out of the way here. You know, this was Candice Cameron Burray's first kiss in real life and on stage? Was this your first kiss in really?
Speaker 5: I saw Betterman say when you had him on recently that she was my first kiss in heart? Right, Yeah, you guys, I may have had one kiss before. It wasn't so basically televised.
Speaker 3: It was televised so that you can't really remember, right, that's yeah, except more difficult, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Exactly, So we'll say it was. It was close enough to.
Speaker 2: Be oh good good, Oh that's so great.
Speaker 1: This is what a trip.
Speaker 2: Did you ever imagine re reconnecting with your first kiss like this is just it blows my mind.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you know, with our kiss was pretty uh exposed.
Speaker 2: To wait, what does that mean like public?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, yeah you may have. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: Quite right, only the millions of people watching, yeah, and.
Speaker 3: The audience and your parents and yeah, not we've talked about that.
Speaker 1: Not weird or uncomfortable at all, Yeah, at all. No, totally not.
Speaker 2: Well, take us back, like, was this was full house your first acting job or how did you even get into acting? Tell us your origin story.
Speaker 4: So origin story.
Speaker 5: I'll make this as fast as I can. I in second grade I played the accordion of all instruments. My mom saw an a for keyboard lessons, and so we showed up and it was an accordion class. And as I walked in, they were all playing the theme to Empire Strike Back.
Speaker 2: Oh cool.
Speaker 5: I don't know what this is, but I'm hooked. I played a Christmas performance. I accompanied the teacher, and there was a young girl that went to my school. Her name was Alison Croft, and her mom saw the performance and she wrote a letter to my mom saying, hey, you know, this kid can obviously get up and perform in front of people. Would you guys like to give this a shot? And so she gave us a number for her manager, and the manager sent me to Harry Gold, who is Tracy Gold's dad. Yeah, yeah, yep, And so I went in and read for him, and he brought me on immediately.
Speaker 4: And started throwing me in auditions left and right.
Speaker 5: And it was about nine months before I landed anything so so, Yeah, I started at seven and a half.
Speaker 4: Okay, first game I.
Speaker 5: Got was you guys probably won't remember. It was a soap opera called Santa Barbara.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember that. Abe was a soap star herself.
Speaker 2: Is where it all begins for us child actors. Yeah. I was on Days of Our Lives though, so, but it just throws you right into it. Memorizing every day new scripts, new blocking.
Speaker 4: Sitcoms compared to soap operas are very nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, trying to.
Speaker 5: Learn a script every single night on top of being a kid and going to.
Speaker 2: School and all that, you know, Yeah, it's a lot.
Speaker 5: So yeah, so I was on that show for about nine and a half months. I was the first Brandon demot or Brandon Capwell ended up ended up being.
Speaker 3: Right right, because there's because names mean nothing on soap operas well or on full House. I mean it's we've established that there's no there's no rules, that doesn't matter whoever you want change, especially on a soap opera.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So, but the the kiss Cannis Cameron first kiss story begins. I would say I did two episodes of Growing Pains, okay, and I was probably ten or eleven, and so Jeremy Miller and I, who played Ben. We became we were best friends with Jason Marsden, who I know.
Speaker 1: You guys, Yes, I love Jason.
Speaker 3: Jeremy Miller's birthday party at the George Michael concert was the first concert I ever went to, and it was amazing.
Speaker 5: And I'm pretty sure that's where Candice got that poster that she haunt that she has.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because they all went and met him.
Speaker 3: John Stamos was there and they went and met him and they were like, come get a picture, and I, for some reason, was being weird and was like I don't want to bother him, and they were like it's a meet and greet and I was like, no, I'm good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So so and then he died and I regretted it. But anyway, yes, the poster is from that.
Speaker 5: Amazing So so it started.
Speaker 4: Uh So I knew Kirk, not real well.
Speaker 5: I mean, if you asked him, you know, hey, you remember that's Scott Curtis Kate, he would say no, but you know, because we were the age difference. Yeah, so I'd met Kirk a bunch and you know, us kids, we we would we were always on the interview trail like that's what we call it.
Speaker 4: So it was all the same guys.
Speaker 5: We also, i'd chose to be like your birthday parties or whatever, which I have a picture and I think it's of your birthday, Jody.
Speaker 4: I think where it.
Speaker 5: Was ed Bebecks, Yes, and I think we went to Debbie Gibson if I remember correctly.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Oh that might not have been my birthday party, but it was somebody's. But yes, I was there Edvics Center, so yeah, definitely there. I don't remember whose it was, but that sounds like exactly like the kind of birthday parties we would have ed Bevics and some sort of content.
Speaker 4: And it was all of us. I mean, it was every every.
Speaker 3: Every everybody that you'd go on every audition with, or you'd see at every upfront or every press thing or whatever, every Hollywood Christmas bread.
Speaker 1: You know, it was like, oh, hey, what's up. So it really is a weird little family that we have.
Speaker 4: It is, and we were a tight group.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, thinking back on it, you know, we weren't kids anymore, you know, we were we were little adults, and so I know, especially for me, like it was hard to relate to like public school a little bit because they were all kids, and you know, we're going we had to be here at seven thirty am, and I had to be prepared and ready to go for some really interesting uh friendships between all of us for sure.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 5: So yeah, then so I did the Growing Pains, I did uh Golden Girls, I did episode of Valerie Bob Newhart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw it, just saw that I didn't have that connection. That's awesome.
Speaker 4: So yeah, full House was it was just it was an audition.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I remember Jason Marsden auditioned for for that for Kevin Gwynn as well, and I think that same day or maybe the day before, we both auditioned for The Monsters Today. Funny, so he landed The Monsters Today, which ended up being a full season, and then I got the Full House gig, so weird.
Speaker 4: That was normal for all of us. That was normal. Hey I got this one, you.
Speaker 2: Know for sure? Yeah, that was part of the business. It's rejection and then you win big and then you lose big and you're just like, eh, I just want.
Speaker 4: To Aaron Spelling. You know, no big.
Speaker 1: Deal, right, right, I mean, you know, I think about it. Like that sort of.
Speaker 3: So many kid actors, I know, like we do kind of have this ability to be like I'll commit to this, I'll.
Speaker 1: Be in it, and then it like doesn't happen.
Speaker 3: You're like, all right, well next, you know, like because you especially if you grew up doing this, Like, you know, I can't get too attached to it, you know, I can't get to attach to the outcome. If I book it, it's still mine not have, Like you're just kind of you have not this pessimism.
Speaker 1: But this like.
Speaker 3: Realistic idea that like, yeah, sometimes it just doesn't work out.
Speaker 5: You know. We're used to winning the highest of highs and then losing and going to the lowest of lows, and that's.
Speaker 4: Just part of the game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, but I think that that's something you know, that is that is unique to all of us, where the tramps are on a level that nobody could imagine and the losses on a level that's really devastating. Yeah, so it's it's a roller coaster ride for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tough. It gives you tough skin, though, you know, you become really resilient after you've been rejected so many times. Jody said, you got to let it roll.
Speaker 1: Off your back.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you have a particular story that affected you of not getting something that you still remember to this day.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, again, this was like thirty five years ago. I would say that I brought up Aaron Spelling, who was the creator of nine O two one oh, and he just did a ton of stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I had actually auditioned for nine O two one oh, and he really was considering me for one of the roles, but I was too young. The cast was about four years older than me, and then so and then a couple of years later, I auditioned for he did it what was it? The Lassie? Oh right, and so he was gonna he wanted me for that part as well, But then then I was too old so for that part.
Speaker 4: So I was like right the middle.
Speaker 5: I think that one kind of stung the most. That's the most memorable, you know. Yeah, but yeah, it's too many to remember for sure.
Speaker 2: But you got the Full House audition. You you nailed that one, clearly. So what had you seen Full House? This This was in season three, so the Full House had already been on the air for a couple of years. Had you seen the show before you came on our set.
Speaker 5: Yep, absolutely, Okay, really enjoyed the show. You know, great comedy, great family show was on.
Speaker 4: All the time.
Speaker 5: I mean everybody even even to this day New full Use. So when I got the audition, I was, you know, excited to get the audition. And they had said that I was going to be a Candas's first kiss, and I remember like going, okay, you know, not really understanding that the depth of the situation. Or so when I came in and did the table read with you guys, first thing, like I took this seriously.
Speaker 4: You know, I knew that this was that this was a big moment.
Speaker 5: And then you know, the table read and meeting all you guys, and like I said, for people that don't know, when you do a sitcom, you have an entire week to do.
Speaker 4: The show right.
Speaker 5: And then so the first days of the table reading and everybody shows up in their pajamas and exactly the script and so but it's a it's a great way for a for a guest star to meet the entire cast and really like bond and get to know each other. So and it was it was pretty pretty great between Candis and I right off the bat. Okay, g and I became pretty pretty friends. We became uh broken with each other. So there was an exciting week leading up to the infamous.
Speaker 1: Kiss, right, yeah, well that whole.
Speaker 5: Week, like it was, it was really cool. Uh she might remember. Do you guys remember banaka spray? Yes?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Bana it was.
Speaker 3: I think my taste buds are still uh burnt from that stuff. It was basically, god, what was it like ninety nine point nine percent rubbing alcohol, a splash of bleach.
Speaker 1: And ce mint, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like here, do you want to burn the inside of your taste buds off permanently?
Speaker 1: Yeah, go for it.
Speaker 4: It made that sound.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It was like it was an aerosol spray like.
Speaker 2: The eighties.
Speaker 1: What were we doing?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I kind of kind of broke the ice a little bit where we were playing with that.
Speaker 4: We would ah hit each other's mouth and you.
Speaker 3: Know, like it was just so we used to have banaka competition, So you guys, this was how and I'm not kidding you, Like we would be like how many sprays could you?
Speaker 1: And you'd get up to like six and you're like, oh my eyes are watering.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't feel my tongue.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, this is how we occupied our time on set.
Speaker 2: Great, yeah, we're very simple, kid.
Speaker 4: That was how we broke the ice.
Speaker 5: And of course the rest of the week it was you could feel the build up happening, you know what I mean? Yeah, time for dress rehearsal. You know, I don't remember who directed it, but you know, they were standing there, aren't kind of cross giggling watching and they go, oh, we missed up the lighting on that part.
Speaker 4: We're going to have to do it again.
Speaker 1: It was Rich Correll, wasn't it. Huh was it Rich Correll?
Speaker 5: It May Yeah, I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 1: Jeff Franklin, Oh yeah, Jeff was Yeah, Jeff was there.
Speaker 4: Which yeah, real quick.
Speaker 5: In the same an episode that I did with you guys, I was drinking beer in the hallway right of the school dance and.
Speaker 1: So on the show.
Speaker 3: On the show, Scott was not casually storyline thirteen or fourteen, just drinking beer in the hallway of the dressing rooms. Just clarify that before people are like, oh wow.
Speaker 1: God, yeah, the Hollywood kids these you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but knocka yeah exactly. Well, I mean you got to use seven sprays but not going to cover the beer that you've been drinking obviously.
Speaker 1: Anyway, sorry, you made a.
Speaker 5: Joke towards the end of that that episode is like Will Scott, He's like, we're going to have you back next week doing drugs because we started you with a kiss and now you're drinking. It just seems to be the only way. And it was so funny that, like I remember that joke to this day. It was good humor, but yeah, it was really funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's so great, right, just the next escalation obviously, Yeah, and then and then Kevin, and then the story line, Kevin gets locked up and DJ goes to visit him, and yeah in June.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she didn't bail him out, no.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, no, he needed to learn his lesson, but she was like, I'll visit you.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, gosh, you know, it's so funny, like thinking back again, silly little things like Banaka or whatever, that these memories that bring back such like such times in our lives when we were, like you said, we were kids, but we weren't kids. We were we were still kids being silly, you know, and dumb, but like in this weirdly adult world and job and I'm just always glad to like meet the other you know, all of the other young people and kids that grew up along in this business that were like, yeah, man, I remember that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like our our little our little clan.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know absolutely, like I guess, like I said earlier, like we were just uh, we were expected to have our lines ready to go, expect to be exactly where we want, you know, where we.
Speaker 4: Were supposed to be.
Speaker 5: I remember I did a series called Aaron's Way and was with Brilin Olsen, who was a Los Angeles ram in the seventies. He would played my father. But I remember the director then, you know, no pressure, but he said, you know, Scott, if you mess up your lines, it's a twenty five thousand dollars restart.
Speaker 4: And I said what does that mean?
Speaker 5: And it was basically they added up all the time of what it would take to reload the camera with film, right, and it costs for you know, that time to be with the prop master and the best boy and the grips and the camera and lighting and sound. And so he's like, you know, so when you grew up with with I don't want to see pressure. But with expectations that you know, you have to show up here, you have to you know, you made that commitment.
Speaker 4: So yeah, and we were just little adults living in an adult world, right, you know.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad I can be an adult now in this business and mess up my lines all I want, it feels.
Speaker 2: So I'm trying to tally how much we at work now.
Speaker 3: I think I actually I have owe Netflix money at this point.
Speaker 1: I think I should go pay.
Speaker 3: Them and be like, hey, this is really all the yeah, exactly, for all the delays a couple restarts, Yeah for a couple No, well yeah, but you don't have to change film. There's no you know, that's and there's it's scaled down quite a bit. I feel like production is not as as there's not as many people as you know that are on a set anymore. And it's a shame. That's a whole other side topic. But but but you know, you talk about like that it was kind of a struggle for you to relate to kids in public school, Like did you go to a regular school? I mean obviously like not when you were doing you know, nine months of a soap opera, But in between those periods, how did you do your schooling situation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I went went to public school. I remember, I want to say it was seventh that was when I did nineteen eighty six to eighty eight, was like, really, those are the busy years for me. So I remember being in junior high and I was filming Aaron's Way, which was on NBC against Growing Pains, remember that, Jeremiah, right, And so I wasn't at school a whole bunch that year. You know that the rumors go around, and you know, I don't walk around tell everybody, you know why I'm.
Speaker 4: Not there right on?
Speaker 5: Some kids tease you, and other kids think it's really cool, you know, just a part of growing up. Yeah, but yeah, normal school, normal school. And I want to say, didn't wasn't the teacher on set Adria later?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes it was. So I always on.
Speaker 5: Something with Adria and she but she was there for the for the twins, right.
Speaker 3: Well, she started she started out as our teacher and then sort of transitioned into working with Ashley Mary Kate more exclusively as like their sort of baby wrangler and stuff. But she started out the first couple of seasons as our teacher and always was like part of the sort of the teaching groups, you know what I mean, like she.
Speaker 2: The head mistress.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she had been in the business a lot, like Adria was sort of always you know, even if she wasn't in charge, like you.
Speaker 1: Just kind of knew Adria, like you went to her about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it was only there was always so many you know, that was a real specialty job, the studio teacher, because not only were they you know, your tutor, but they were also kind of responsible for making sure that you know, we followed along with the again actor.
Speaker 3: You know said they had to be they had to be welfare workers as well. Yeah, yeah, so they had to know like all those guidelines and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: It was neat to see her too.
Speaker 5: And I walked on set and there she was, you know, wrangling wrangling the twins.
Speaker 1: Right, what did you work with her? What did you work with her on previously? Do you remember?
Speaker 4: I don't remember.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's no telling. She worked on so much, so much.
Speaker 3: We had her on the on the podcast on an episode because we're we're all still friends and still talk, and we had her on and yeah, it was just so lovely.
Speaker 1: But yeah, an incredible career.
Speaker 3: I mean again, but one of those teachers that, yeah, you'd see on so many sets and you know, again, like as a kid actor, you know, seeing a familiar face on a new set is such a relief you feel because you know you're walking onto a new set, new people, new job, new environment, new teacher, new other people. You know, it's it's a lot. So yeah, it's nice to see those familiar faces.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they really become part of the family.
Speaker 3: Too, Oh for sure, Scott.
Speaker 2: You mentioned the beer drinking episode Just Say No Way, which is a kind of a it's one of those episodes, a very special episode, you know, face meaning behind it. Did the did Jeff Franklin or any of the producers talk to your parents or you about doing this episode and what it meant.
Speaker 4: Like the social impact of it or.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just like hey, your son's going to be underage on a TV show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, nothing, nothing comes to memory about it. I mean, you know, we knew it was ginger ale that was wrapped in like a whatever, right yea it said beer on.
Speaker 1: It, Yeah, exactly, beer, yeah, brands.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we knew that that it wasn't there wasn't the real thing. But no, you know, as far as I remember it was just another it was a job, and you know, there was a script and you know fall along with it. I do want to say one memorable thing about that show was John Stamos really took that part and ran he So dj promised the school that there'd be a band, and John showed up Uncle Jesse and it wasn't a band. So she at the last minute hired the Marching Band. I remember, oh man, he threw his hat on and he's marching around and I just like, I think that that was most of his doing. And it was really it was hilarious. It was fun to watch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have commented on this show before. He is great at physical comedy and he really I mean he watched you know, the Dick Van Dyke and those kinds of you know, oh god, I can't think of his name right now, but like other actors like that, and you really see it in his performances when he just leans in and commits. And John is can be hilarious when he wants to be. You know, he just really leans in and is silly. I love that great.
Speaker 1: Oh I can't I can't forgot about the Marching Band. I can't wait to watch that one.
Speaker 5: That's gonna be so weird because I was I was in marching band in high school, and I think was.
Speaker 1: There an accordion in the marching band?
Speaker 4: I was not. I graduated on the drummer. Thank you.
Speaker 5: There we go the rest of the rest of my life after acting. Yeah, but I remember like it was a bit strange because I was there as an actor, but I was also in a marching band, and so it was a really interesting thing for me to notice, Okay, here's a marching band. Meanwhile, today I have a dressing room and they don't. So it was it was kind of just you unders what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: It was like, yeah, but that weird thing when you're like, oh, today I'm I'm like the special, but tomorrow I'm just part of the scenery, right and kind of and in a way like getting used to that is, you know, today I get some cool stuff and then tomorrow I'm like just back to doing the thing exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: Tell us what what did you do after full House? What when did you make the transition out of the industry. Tell me about all.
Speaker 4: Of the decisions.
Speaker 5: I'll finish with this little story. I don't know you know, I'm not going to get anywhere near too deep. But after the two episodes, Cannice and I became friends and we were talking on the phone and giggling and laughing and having fun. And uh, I remember the last thing that she and I said to each other, we'll see you at the wrap party.
Speaker 4: Cool, We'll see at the rap party. So, you know, we all get tuxed up and we get.
Speaker 5: Limoed over and I walked in and I saw her and I choked. I literally froze and I could not go over there and even say hi to her, which I haven't choked like that ever before since, So I have no idea what.
Speaker 4: Hit me, but I just went, oh my god.
Speaker 5: And you know, that was kind of that was kind of Kevin Wynn's character was, you know, being kind of shy, and so for some reason, I guess I just absolutely morphed into.
Speaker 2: That, which is so funny because you'd already kissed her at that point on the show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it totally should not have been, you know, a big deal.
Speaker 4: But for whatever reason, I just went, oh boy.
Speaker 5: And and that was how that was how that that left.
Speaker 4: I haven't I haven't said, you.
Speaker 2: Haven't talked to her since I told her. I told her we were talking to you, and she was like.
Speaker 1: Oh, She's like tell him, I said, Hi.
Speaker 2: So she remembers you so fondly.
Speaker 5: Awesome, That's that's good to know. Actually, you know, I've had people when she does interviews and she talks about her first kiss. It's always kind of uh not not hard to watch, but I'm always you know, I don't ever want to be in you know, as a negative experience to anybody. And when she does interviews, she says, you know, like, how weird is it to have your first kiss in front of your parents and and a live audience.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: So I actually caught you guys when you were did your when you did the comic con and you had told her that I was going to be on the show, and she smiled, okay, cool, you know, like that was kind of a year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, all right, oh yeah, no, definitely, no, yeah, it was nothing personal, just she.
Speaker 2: She remembers you so fondly, and the embarrassment comes from just that milestone so publicly has nothing to do at all. So yeah, nothing, but.
Speaker 5: She just you know, it's so awkward, and I'm like, yeah, thinking back on it, yeah, it really.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, and I remember like when you would have a kiss when like as a kid, even sometimes like I'm now on well most of the time now, like you're rehearsing, and it's like you get right up to the moment and you're like running lines and you're in it, and then you're like all right, and then we kiss okay, and then okay, and then break okay, and then you like it's you just you don't you don't do it.
Speaker 1: Really unless you have to, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like, and it's such a and as an adult you're like whatever, like okay, oh now I guess blah blah blah, and then you go back to your lines or whatever.
Speaker 1: But as a kid, you're like like it's such a build up and you're like, okay, now we pretend okay, okay, okay, and then.
Speaker 2: We move on.
Speaker 1: Like it's so nerve wracking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then there's such a build up to like when okay, okay, this time, this is the one, this is the kiss.
Speaker 1: You're like, oh my god, the.
Speaker 2: Cameras are rolling now, yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm gonna okay, We're gonna you feel like I'm gonna break something, you.
Speaker 5: Know, the night the night that we that we filmed it. We actually had to get it with audience right, and then with our audience because they wanted one take Jeff Franklin wont one take of the audience going.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: They don't know if they wanted to use that version, so.
Speaker 3: I feel like they probably did. I feel like the WU always gets used. There's always a WU. There's a kiss, there's a kiss on a sitcom, there's a WU.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that definitely happened with the live audience. Yeah, but no it.
Speaker 5: Yeah anyhow, Sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't get a woo when Bitterman and I kissed. We didn't get a WU. So that should be very flattering that you aganda's got a WO.
Speaker 4: I'll take it.
Speaker 1: So what what what made you decide? At what point?
Speaker 3: Like did you go, you know, I don't think, I don't think this is for me anymore? And you said you you're a musician.
Speaker 5: Yes, so I started getting into music, but really, like what had kind of happened. The last show that I did was a show called Over My Dead Body. I was kind of known for doing not really kids shows, Like I was doing a lot of dramas like Bob Newhart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a.
Speaker 5: Comedy, but that was you know, so I for some reason just ended up gravitating towards those kind of shows. And so I was getting more and more into in the music. The audition started coming the fewer and fewer, and I wasn't landing as many jobs, and so my agent, so Harry Gold, suggested that I go through some acting classes. And I hate improv or at least I did back then. Like I did not enjoy it. And it was with all the you know, all the crew, the same kids that that we hung out with and the loved it.
Speaker 3: Was it a young actors space. Diane Harding, Diane Harden.
Speaker 5: I mean I totally know that name, so it may have been.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's where everyone. I mean like we've all basically like if we've all been there, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I just I hated it. I did not.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, your teenager, you're out, you know, acting goofy in front of.
Speaker 1: All of your right, Yeah, yeah you have.
Speaker 4: That's what was to me.
Speaker 5: So no, so I said, you know what, and this is where my head was. I've conquered acting. I'm going to move on to the next thing, which is music. And so I had a spectacular teacher named mister Tagucci in high school, and it was an amazing program. And I became drummer and we had a great time. And then so I took I took drumming to more seriously. And then but when I graduated high school, being a child actor, I did not want to have. I wanted more of a solid background because as as you guys know, nothing was guaranteed. Yeah, And so that hit me really young that I didn't want to I didn't want to live that kind of life where, uh, you know, it's depending on auditions or not whether I was going to get my bills paid. So I actually went to flight school in Tulsa, Oklahomay. Long story short, it was, it's a long story. They basically almost went bankrupt. And so I came home and spoke to a guy who said, what do you think is romantic in life? And I said drumming, He said, and that's what you're doing. And so I really jumped into the rock scene and became a touring drummer.
Speaker 4: Amazing cool, Yeah, And I did that.
Speaker 5: I met my wife through uh, through playing music and a lot of bands. And I would say, you know, like like a common story with bands is as soon as things start getting serious, all of a sudden, the greed starts popping out of here. And you know, we were talking a couple of a couple of record deal talks going on, and both the bands that almost that were almost signed imploded. Yeah, and the second time that happened. The second time that happened, I looked at I looked at my wife Jenny, and I said, Okay, I'm done with La and so we moved up to Reno, Nevada. Okay, we've been here for we've been here for sixteen almost seventeen years, which is crazy.
Speaker 2: Nice. Yeah, you have a beautiful daughter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you, Kylie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have any other kids? Or is Kylie the only?
Speaker 4: My son Brevin?
Speaker 5: Okay, my son was actually born in LA which okay, he's pretty proud of that. Yeah, he's a he's a wrestler. In high school, we were a jiu jitsu family, so oh yeah, yeah, in the grappling world, and yeah, he transitioned from that into wrestling and he made the varsity team as a freshman. We're actually meeting with a college coach that's offering him a scholarship on the seventh of October. My daughter plays volleyball, and just between that and everything else, we are keeping very busy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it sounds like it very very busy. Well, I mean that's amazing.
Speaker 2: We miss we missed a golden opportunity to have Kevin Gwynn playing drums with Uncle Jesse on Fuller House, Like, why didn't we make that happen?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I can't believe that. I can't believe we never did that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna have to come back and do Fullest House just to make this moment h right.
Speaker 1: Just well we have to.
Speaker 3: It's just this very special music video. It's Forever, but it's all drums, and it's.
Speaker 2: Just to drink beer while you're drumming.
Speaker 3: Kevin Gwinn, well he's got a beer hat on. That's what it's going to be. And and and John's gonna wear the marching band hat and they're going to do Forever all in drums.
Speaker 5: That's what it's has to do, the marching band hat. Yes, I was when I saw Fuller House coming on, I was very very excited for you guys.
Speaker 4: My fingers were crossed that it was going to be.
Speaker 5: A success, which I don't know how it wasn't going to be a success, but just so cool that you guys were able to continue that on. And you know, for a lot of kids, you know, growing up, it was it was that that continuation that they all wanted to see. Yeah, and you know, just the impact that you guys have had on on this world. You know, when people find out that I was a child actor, you know, they'll say.
Speaker 4: Oh, what have you done?
Speaker 5: And no matter what I throw out there growing pains, Ah, Valerie, you mean the Whgan family. I'm not really sure, but you say full House and they all go, what so, Yeah, I was DJ's first kiss, and I make a joke, wasn't she lucky?
Speaker 2: Laugh?
Speaker 4: But every every.
Speaker 5: Person that that I talked to, you know, as soon as you say full House, they all they all immediately lock onto it. So it's it was an absolutely fantastic memory and just so happy for you guys that you were able to thank you very cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, it has been quite a journey, and I'm so glad that you got to be part of the full House family back in season three, like what, And I'm glad it was a great experience for you and you weren't traumatized by it, either the first kiss or the beer drinking. I'm glad that it was such a positive experience. Yeah, you and that Candace. You know, Candace still loves you and thinks you're great.
Speaker 1: So yes, ye walk away from this today. Thank you.
Speaker 3: And I did that thirty five years of anxiety and that moment that you choke, you can let that go finally. I'm sure it's the thing that like every night you're like, oh if you know that we all have that thing. Well, you can let it go now. So you're here, You're healed. Yeah, Oh, thank you so much for joining us, Scott.
Speaker 1: This was such a pleasure.
Speaker 3: It was really great to have you on. And yeah, we loved talking to you as great.
Speaker 5: Awesome to see you guys again as well, and all the success and thank.
Speaker 2: You, thank you, thank you, and congratulations to you.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: I'm calling you up next time I come to exactly all right, by Scott. Thanks Scott.
Speaker 1: Thanks, Oh that was so much fun.
Speaker 2: Gosh, he's great, like he still is, like he's a great interview. He speaks so well, like, yeah, he's exactly the same.
Speaker 3: And you know, it's funny. I I do I remember Scott being like in.
Speaker 6: The the circle, the circle of you know that sort of that periphery of like kids in between my age and and like you're in Canvas's age and maybe.
Speaker 1: Even a little older like but that, you know, we weren't.
Speaker 3: There was like the the the brat pack of the time. They were like the older, more famous sort of like teenage movie people, like late teens, and then then our crowd.
Speaker 1: I feel like it was like sixteen to like ten, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: We were the Yeah, we were the we were the sitcom.
Speaker 3: Kids the second Yeah, the sitcom kids exactly, the CV kids.
Speaker 1: But no, it's just so much fun to see him. That was great.
Speaker 2: That was awesome. I'm so glad. I'm so glad he joined us. That was pretty true. We got it next, we got to get your first kiss. H that's that might be a few seasons from No, No, you know what, I think it's uh, I think it's rusty. Oh is it rusty?
Speaker 1: I think it's rusting. I think it.
Speaker 2: Is Okay, Fanaritos, please let us know. I think I think my first.
Speaker 3: KIS episode it wasn't because it wasn't Harry that as we were too little. I think it was rest chance with the onion. Remember I had to like buy Remember Rusty was like okay to keep playing pranks, and so I played it on him. I like at midnight, took a bite to the onion and then kissed him. I think that was like, okay, first lip to lip contact.
Speaker 2: I remember, yeah, yeah, okay, I'm excited.
Speaker 3: Our brothers just said, yes, it's Rusty, okay, yes, all right, and I remembered one thing about myself on that show. Well, thank you guys for joining us for another really fun episode of How Rude Tianerritos.
Speaker 1: We hope you're enjoying the podcast.
Speaker 3: Make sure you're following us at how rood podcast on Instagram, and you can also send us an email at howarodpodcast at gmail dot com and make sure you're liking and subscribe to the podcast, you know, to deal. That way, you can get the newest episodes as soon as they come out, so that you don't have to wait and you know, try and find them and search.
Speaker 1: They're just right there, just right the in box, right there.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you guys, it's been a pleasure. And remember the world is small, but the hell is full.
Speaker 2: Of marching dance, Yeah, geat wait.
Speaker 1: To buy, and that potentially an accordion.
Speaker 2: Love it