Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Pass podcast. The Ravens opened the season with a twenty five to nine victory over the Houston Texans. It's good to start the year in the win column. Now, the flip side of that great win is that they did suffer some significant injuries in this one. They lost JK. Dobbins for the season with the torn achilles and also dealt with a handful of other injuries. On Monday afternoon, head coach John Harbaugh met with the media for his standard Monday afternoon press conference, and he updated the media about the status of those players who dealt with the injuries on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Okay, first of all, I just want to make mention of nine to eleven being today being nine to eleven. Most of us our age, we're a lot younger. Even remember where we were on that Tuesday morning. I was in Philly game planning for a game. Good sir, I beg it's the Giants. I'm not sure, but and just happened to see the second one go in and something you never forget. Been to the Memorial now a couple of years ago, would highly recommend it to anybody and everybody go spend as much time there as you can. The stories are amazing and compelling. So for you know, for our country one important day that is as far as the game, just really happy and please with the win. And I'd say the number one thing pleased with is the effort. The effort that our guys played with was about as good as it gets. It was standard setting effort, you know, in all three phases, and that was something that you can hang your hat on and you can win with. And the physicality was there along with that. So just really happy with that. Also the idea that we we made plays that we had to make in critical situations to win the game. I thought guys came up with plays, stops, conversions, touchdowns, getting the ball and field goal range, making kicks, all the things, even punts. You know, you look at the Jordan's punt early on from backed up, I think he had a sixty sixty plus yard punt, fifty plus yard net, flipping field position from your own ten yard line. That's pretty pretty great play that you know, sometimes doesn't get noticed. So those kind of players were made during the game. So really happy with that. The things that we you know, is obviously it's always this way after your first game, and really it's this way after every game. But there's so many things we have to work on, so many things from an operation standpoint, both sides of the ball, and special teams, execution standpoint, both sides of the ball and special teams. Penalties, just way, way too many penalties. Too many times we took chips and we put them back in front of our opponent. You know, we don't want to do that. We want to keep the chips, to hoard the chips. You win with more chips, and we don't need to be giving them things that are that are you know, caused by us not doing the things we need to do quite the right way. So we'll be looking at that real hard this week and looking hard to improve in those areas. That's, you know, what we refer to as winning football. So we'll be talking about that. But individual efforts, uh, focus, playing hard. Want to really proud of the guys and really proud of the win against a good Houston team. I've said this before and about certain teams early in the season. They're gonna win a lot of football games this year. So uh, you mark it down, you'll you'll see that's a good young football team.
Speaker 3: So what questions you have.
Speaker 4: John, as far as injuries, Do you have any updates one Marcus Marcus Williams running stally in Toyland.
Speaker 3: I do, I do again.
Speaker 2: I just confirmed JK he's going to have this the uh, the Achilles surgery to repair that. And he texted me last night after we texted back and forth and told me not to worry. He'll be back better and stronger than before. So here his spirits will be good. Marcus has a peck injury. He's talking to consulting with the doctors right now. He'll be out for a while. Uh may not be a season ender though. Uh there's different options that he has. So we'll keep you updated on that. And then it's soon because he'll have to make a decision soon on a possible surgery there.
Speaker 3: Tyler has a has.
Speaker 2: An ankle sprain, so i'd say week to week right now. Uh, he may be out for this game.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Ronnie has a knee brain Uh, so again that'd be kind of similar to Tyler right now. So we'll see where those guys are at. But they could be out this game, and we'll be counting on the guys if they are out to step up and play. There's that everybody any other injury questions.
Speaker 3: We're at it.
Speaker 2: Marlon has a shot. Yeah, thanks Jeff, He's got a shot. But depends, you know, it's uh, it's it's pretty early in the process, but it's possible.
Speaker 3: So we'll see same thing. Mark looks good, you know, we'll see how he does.
Speaker 2: I would prefer those to the practice, actually to the report probably is going to be your best indicator.
Speaker 5: Was there any kind of stuff that Mark Price kind of like say how he would play?
Speaker 3: Yeah, just you'd never know. I don't. I don't know. It's just somes. We hoped he'd make it, couldn't make it to the game. We were trying. He was trying, just didn't didn't get there. John.
Speaker 6: Was there a point where Marcus Boyles tried to play through.
Speaker 7: His injury during the game.
Speaker 2: There was, it happened. It happened. Uh, didn't really, he didn't really realize what it was. It just kept bothering him as he went. Made some plays too, played really, I mean, Marcus played greats. It's a tough one for us, There's no doubt, you know, and I'm disappointed that, you know, Marcus Uh. All three of those guys are are great players. You know, those are guys that were hoping to get back uh in different times.
Speaker 3: But uh he.
Speaker 2: Did, he played, he played some more plays, played well in those plays, and then just you know, it was really bothered him.
Speaker 3: He had checked out and that's what they found in his position again.
Speaker 4: But you still played and filled in for Marcus pretty extensively last year when he's on the list.
Speaker 3: That helped you a little bit in terms of knowing what.
Speaker 5: He takes back.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, were still gonna play great defense.
Speaker 2: I mean I feel really still really good about our defense, you know, because Gino is going to be Gino. You know, he's not going to try to be Marcus. He's going to play the way he plays, and he's proven he can play very well back there.
Speaker 3: So got all the conference in the world.
Speaker 2: And Gino and Darryl Worley and anybody else we might bring in here, We've got some options. So but those those guys, especially Gino who's done it before, Yes, one hundred percent, all the conference in the world, Geno, I know.
Speaker 4: Patrick McCard went in and tackle once Ronie went.
Speaker 7: Now, is that kind of the player that stayed with him.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Patrick's our backup tackle both sides, and uh, you know Patrick's played a lot of football, so you know he'll play well. Also, it's uh, it's not the guy that we can we're concerned with in terms of how well he'll play.
Speaker 3: He'll play well.
Speaker 4: And Tyler, I mean, is it is it you can look back and say, well, I'm really glad to really get Musterer on the press.
Speaker 3: Absolutely right, and Sam did a good job as your father.
Speaker 4: Melan Gordon will be well up from the practice fund when.
Speaker 2: He's outside of the organization for running back happened before.
Speaker 3: Now, I think that we're good. I like the guys we got.
Speaker 2: Melvin is gonna you know, he's here for a reason and uh certainly didn't expect it to be this quick, but uh, that's why he's here, and that's why he wanted to stay here, I think because you know, he likes it here, you know, and he likes the offense, and he likes the the the environment. And uh, he's a heck of a talented guy. He saw him in the preseason. He's he's a proven back. So I'm very very glad that he's here.
Speaker 4: So I'm sorry John that was when you say you're good, you don't foresee looking outside the organization?
Speaker 3: No, I mean, you know, no, I don't. That's not what I'm looking to do.
Speaker 2: But you know, if you want to ask Eric what his thoughts are, give him a call.
Speaker 4: John Wan with JK Domans, I think everyone kind of knew that it was going to be the lead back into the season.
Speaker 7: JK was gonna be the lead back going into the season. Now that he is, he's done for the year, how do you foresee it? Do you feel it will be a kind of committee between those three eyes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's just I wouldn't even I wouldn't have put it in those terms before, and so why would I answer the question in those terms after? You know, we've got backs. We play our backs, they all play, they play well. We love our backs, We love all of our guys, and you know, it's just just nowadays NFL is a lot of guys have to play. I think that's pretty clear. You know, and your ole guys, you play personnel groups. There's a lot of strategy to it, and all every single guy in your roster's got to be able to win for you as a starter, you know, And so I pretty much can see you consider all the guys starters really if just being truthful about it, and they all have to be able to play that well.
Speaker 3: They're on the team for a reason.
Speaker 2: You know, it's because they're good enough to do it, and so and all those backs are going to play quite a bit.
Speaker 6: Coach about JK, A lot of the players seem visibly affected by the news of his injury. What is your general message to the team when an injury impassed?
Speaker 2: The players like that really don't have a general message. You know, the message is understood. The guys understand it. I think you know you you You were also probably hearing the question the way they answered the quesquestions, and then they answered it in that sense, they understand what it means and kind of goes back to the last conversation in terms of all everybody's a starter, and now now certain guys get opportunities to step up and show what they can do, and we'll be counting on those guys to do a great job. And I know they will so disappointed when injuries happened, Excited for the guys who get an opportunity, and you move forward because the games keep coming.
Speaker 8: Jo Staying with the running backs, Justice Hill. You talked about him a little bit as a guy who's you know, he's viene or one and always done well on special teams, but seems like whatever he's asked to do something that's kind of stuff there and now you may have a chance to play a bigger rules will come.
Speaker 2: Back, right, Matt Cliff, you know, obviously is the way he's played speaks for itself, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, you guys have seen him play.
Speaker 2: The fans have all seen him play now through the years, but also in the preseason and yesterday, So I don't think it needs any explanation. You've got tremendous confidence in Justice Hill. He's he's a very good running back, he's a very good all around player, and it's going to be a great opportunity for him.
Speaker 4: We talked to the offensive guys after the game. I mean, like Saylor said, for being honest with ourselves, we probably didn't execute it up to our standard. Up Marsenter or Rusty. I mean, when you looked at the table, did you see a lot of things where things were maybe just off For what was your kind of broad take on offense?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, absolutely, a lot lots of little things, even communication, just the way we were operating. It was, you know, it was it was up and down, you know, it was a little spotty. We had some really good moments, many good moments, but we also had many not good moments, you know. And just being on the same page where we were lined up, timing up motions, getting out of huddle as quickly as you wanted to at times, route running, blocking schemes, which linebacker we were working towards. Uh, there's there's just a myriad of things that go into playing a football game and operating offensively or defensively, and special teams.
Speaker 3: It's it's there's a.
Speaker 2: Lot of moving parts, you know, and we've got to get the parts moving more in sync, you know. And it's early in the season, it's not unexpected, but I promise you we want to be chasing perfection.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: We we don't.
Speaker 2: We really don't want to be not hitting on all gears at any time, and so we'll be working really hard to get better in all those areas this week.
Speaker 3: Our guys are the guys. That's what the tone in the locker room was last night. For sure.
Speaker 2: I think he probably saw that child, you know, with your questions. The guys know it, and they're excited to get to work and and get better and keep keep building.
Speaker 4: Already a lot of optims got around the door.
Speaker 3: But he played.
Speaker 4: He played all but set and snaps know he needs to move.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely. Well, I thought he played really well.
Speaker 2: And uh, I think, well, you know, I guess if the if the underlying question is did you want to play him that much? You know, and will you playing that much going forward? It's like we we we got a good guy in rock you know, also got in there late. I think he's gonna be a lot stronger this week too, so we'll have a chance to play to roll our guys in, you know, and then when Marlin comes back, we're gonna be feeling good about our situation there. But yeah, I thought Ronald played really good, especially given you know, like you said, coming back off an injury, you kind of forget that it even happened that that recently.
Speaker 3: He looks good to me.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm really really happy he's on our Team's a great guy. He plays, super hard competitor, you know, just our kind of guy who came back and played some biggers. Uh, you know, his way back to the Bolvar Rose.
Speaker 5: It was an accursion to see and made a few catches and you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah he did.
Speaker 2: He shot played really well, made the big catch over the middle, down hidding into the red zone and blocked really well all the receivers did you know.
Speaker 3: I think he was just kind of excited to be back out.
Speaker 2: There and and be fighting in a game, you know, And uh, there's a lot of great days ahead of a shot for sure.
Speaker 3: I think there was only one.
Speaker 5: Designed rush for tomorrow yesterday, and it was the huge stinked Is that just something that's kind of a wed even drive to drive insiduation, just.
Speaker 3: How to get him involved, And.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean that is, but there was more than that in the in the plans, so there were there were more than that call. It wasn't the only one quarterback sneak. So he's reading a lot of those, a lot of those runs out, but some of them are a pos, some of them are have a have a quarterback run element in him as well, So there were numerous ones in there actually, So I think it will be week to week, yes.
Speaker 3: And uh, he's gonna have to be.
Speaker 2: He's someone that that is an element of his game that defenses are going to have to account for for sure Jonas every week. I mean you know that they're they're gonna have to They're gonna have to count for him both out of the pocket extending plays and also, uh, you know with the QB driven plays, and we've got a myria out of those plays.
Speaker 3: We saw Bill get quite a lot of them. Snaps yesterday.
Speaker 5: Was that how much was that playing?
Speaker 3: How much was that play? Yeah, I mean I think it's both, you know, I mean kind of way it goes.
Speaker 2: But he's a starting wide receiver, so he played like a starting wide receiver, played a lot of plays healthy, I'm excited to be out there, and uh, you know that's going to translate. He had a couple of big catches, I mean a huge catch at the end that got some field goal range that was a kind of put the separation in the in the lead that we needed.
Speaker 3: Uh, big pass interference you know that he drew because the way he ran his route and got open.
Speaker 2: I thought he was a factor out there. Another guy that blocked exceptionally well. He was into the game. He's playing physical. Uh, it was fun to watch him play and uh, you.
Speaker 5: Talked after the game yesterday he raised McDonald for being throw something into put these guys in physicians and see as a pass rusher.
Speaker 3: Hear that echo.
Speaker 5: I got the guys who just teaching ability and you know obviously had a great year last year. But when you were going through the process of interviewing him til years back, he'd obviously been in his ability. Did you know that he would be you know that care year, that that good teacher afore this job, and you kind of will go through that process for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why, that's why, that's why he got the job, you know, and had been with him, you know for many years. He big basically grew up here as a coach and he's, uh, you know, we have a great coaching staff. You know, it's I think Mike's a good example of the coaching staff. But he's young, and he's smart, and he's very determined and turns over every stone and comes up with ideas, but he also vets his ideas and not just his ideas. He's collaborative, you know with the guys, and got a great staff. I mean, Anthony Weaver, you know you're not going to find a better leader, better, better, better defensive coach than Anthony Weaver. He's going to be a head coach very soon. Zach Orr heck of a young linebacker coach. I mean, Zach gets those guys rolling and teaches details.
Speaker 3: At the same time. You know, Denard. We added Denard from Philly.
Speaker 2: He's he's added so much, you know, to the secondary in terms of ideas and technique coaching. And there's also very demanding coach along with Chris Hugh, he's been here many years, coordinates our past defense, just does a phenomenal job with that. I mean, Chris Hue at Thenard Uh, you know Zach. Eventually these guys are all going to be coordinators and head coaches. And then Chuck Smith. Adding Chuck to the defensive side was big, and I think you saw, you know, kind of the energy that those guys brought to the pass rush, right and Chuck des there's a lot of credit for that, and he does a phenomenal job with those guys. So I think I got everybody on the defensive staff. There's more guys younger, you know, they'll wait their turn, but we've got a phenomenal staff. And I'd say the same thing about the offensive staff and the special team staff. So you questions about Mike, but I turn it to the whole group. It's a great coaching staff.
Speaker 3: John, Now it is.
Speaker 7: There's a ton of injuries league wide yesterday. And you know how it is with injuries, people a reason for him. Whether it's a field, whether it's preseason preparation, whether it's how hard teams are practicing.
Speaker 3: There always has to be a reason for them.
Speaker 7: From your perspective, when you have four guys go down, do you feel like you're damned if you do or damned if you don't. As a coach that it's just inevitable at times that whether you're playing guys in the preseason or you hold them out, it's kind of inevitable. Or how do you kind of process when you have such a hard day like that Nasry form?
Speaker 2: Well, I think I've learned that that there is no answer. You know, if there was an answer, then that that'd be what it would be what everybody's doing. Uh, you know, you you practice guys, and you know you don't practice guys you play them the preseason or you don't play them the preseason, and injuries happened and that's the reason. And would you do the other thing, it's like being on a hamster wheel.
Speaker 3: You know, you're on the hamster wheel and not getting anywhere.
Speaker 2: And really that's kind of how this injury whole, big this injury conversation is going in the NFL. I think progress is being made for sure, but you know, looking at whether you play in the preseason or don't you know how many reps you take in practice or you don't take. We're all ramping our guys now. Is there is there a long enough ramp really to ramp the guys properly? I'd say no, you know, so I think that the people that are doing the studies on this they know that too, you know. So what they're gonna have to do eventually is they're gonna have to They're gonna have to change the whole thing, the whole preseason process and update it because you know, it's just been basically, it's just been basically by what's always be done, you know, And and they know that it's not enough time to get guys ready to play in that in that in that short preseason period. So there's a way to do it, you know, there could because you look at you do the studies and they've done them, and they know what the way is. And I think that the NFL and the and the nfl PA are going to come together on this, you know, and they're going to come up with the best thing for the players. Keep players healthy so you can have so they're ready to play, because if you don't do enough, and all of a sudden you go play a game, the game is as taxing. The game is taxing as it is it is, and you have to have you got to be ready for that to be taxing that way. So if you don't do anything and you go play an NFL game, you know, things are bad. Things are going to happen if you if you overdo it or if you as you push through to get ramped up, there's a there's a chance things are going to happen. You get soft tissue injuries and things like that in practice, and if you play them, then you've got the inevitable third part of it, which is just injuries happen.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 2: You get they they get falling on you know, they get caught in an awkward position because it's a contact collision sport.
Speaker 3: And the more games you play the more the more of those.
Speaker 2: Injuries are gonna happen, and so you know that happens in the preseason and the regular season. So I believe I believe the NFL and the and the Players Association are of the right mind, you know, and they want to do what they can do, and they're just they'll get together and they'll come up with a good solution and we'll see some major changes in the way the preseasons are are built in the future with.
Speaker 7: The long ramp up, are you seeing be the startup treating camp earlier?
Speaker 3: I'm trying to I mean that's pretty obvious. Yeah, what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So there's way, there's ways to do that and figure it out and with the whole big picture of mind. You know, from February till till September.
Speaker 1: That was head coach John Harball. You're listening to the Ravens Press Pass podcast if you want more of a deep dive into everything that happened in the game. Also, let you check out the Lounge podcast feed. Hit subscribe to this feed as well as the Lounge feed, and make sure you leave a rating and a review. Now we'll be back on Wednesday. As the raven began their preparation for a divisional matchup against the Cincinnati Bengals. Thanks for listening talk with you against it