Speaker 1: Ridiculous crime. It's a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Zaren Elizabeth n Hi.
Speaker 3: How are you to do?
Speaker 2: Pretty well? Do you do? Oh? To you? I'm good, well, happy for you, thank.
Speaker 3: You, and I'm happy for you and all your joyful bounties and also with you. Yes, let us give thanks, let us give thanks and praise Saren.
Speaker 2: It is right to you, you know.
Speaker 3: Do you know what's ridiculous?
Speaker 2: I do the nineteen ninety four movie Clifford.
Speaker 3: Okay, do you know this film? Is that what a lot of people don't?
Speaker 2: Short? Wow? Look at you? Do you agree? Now?
Speaker 3: And then my brain works totally.
Speaker 2: Do you know the other star in that movie, Clifford Martin? And just think of a kind of a curmudgeingly humorous actor. Oh gosh, my last name rhymes with Hoden.
Speaker 3: Charles Groden. Yes, that was like I was. I could see him and I was trying to remember his name.
Speaker 2: So Martin shirt is like this annoying character in the movie, and Charles Groden is a long suffering person. Right, yeah, Well you know who loves the film?
Speaker 3: Ummm, Saddam hussaying, no.
Speaker 2: Good, guess I'll tell you it this way. Martin Short was on a flight from LA to New York. And he had never met this person who loved the film, and this person wanted to talk to him all about it. And this is like, this is a movie was a bomb?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Nobody ever goes hey.
Speaker 3: Look was it Henry Kissinger?
Speaker 2: Good? Guess no, So I'll just I'll read you. This is how Martin Short tells the story. Okay, quote. Half an hour into the flight, I noticed a figure hovering in the periphery of my vision. Nicholas Cage crouched in the aisle beside me, his eyes locked on mine. Can I just say something to you? He said, a very Nick Cagy intensity in his voice. The dining room scene in Clifford with You and Charles Groden, where he's confronting you and you keep lying to him, a sustained battle of wits, much of it improvised, in which Clifford drives Groad's character the edge. Well, I broke my VCR watching it. I watched that scene twenty five times in a row, and I rewound it so much that the machine jammed and the tape broke. What Nick Cage man? I love Nick Cage. I want to meet him if you could ask me there if you have. If I met like a genie and they're like, you get three wishes, two of them would be Nick Cage.
Speaker 3: Related, Meet Nick Cage and what's the other one?
Speaker 2: Got to meet him again? He likes me, so we hang out and become friends. We like we race cars and we compare, like our various comic book collections, and our kung fu fighting and like weather Jack, I like your your karate g Have you seen my kung fu outfit? We show up surprise each other with sunglass gifts. Let's make that happen. I know, Nicholas Cage. If you're listening, we could be best. So there you go. It's ridiculous, right it is?
Speaker 3: And do you want to know what else is ridiculou?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'm here.
Speaker 3: For social media influencers. This is Ridiculous Crime, a podcast about absurd and outrageous capers, heists, and cons. It's always ninety nine percent murder free and one hundred percent ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Damn right.
Speaker 3: Influencers in them. Yeah, I'm talking about the folks who leverage their online presence, yes, particularly on social media, to affect the opinions, the behaviors, the purchasing decisions.
Speaker 2: Yes, of consumers. I'm assuming their audience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like that's an academic way to put it. Yes, it's very nice and how minded they build a following, like they create this engaging content, yes, and they interact with their audience and they establish themselves as like a credible source.
Speaker 2: Of information at an entertaining one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like and usually like in a specific niche.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, so they lurk.
Speaker 3: They darken the doorways of social media platforms like Instagram totally.
Speaker 2: They're almost like street level famous YouTube.
Speaker 4: Yeah, YouTube, YouTube TikTok.
Speaker 3: And yeah, so they have or they want you to.
Speaker 4: Say, by the way, that is now called ekis in Spanish, Oh it's sekis Okay, so YouTube TikTok and ekis.
Speaker 3: And then Insta. So they want you to think that they have this like specialized knowledge experience or like authority so that their opinions are valuable.
Speaker 2: Totally, or a great life that you're envs like you.
Speaker 3: And they build this trust through interaction. What they want you to think is transparency totally and like a consistent brand voice.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So the endorsements, the recommendations, they carry weight. They impact people's decisions on things including purchasing stuff totally products and services and and so, like you know, they focus on, like I said, a specific niche beauty, fashion, fitness, technology.
Speaker 2: Travel, gambling, advice.
Speaker 3: How do yeah, how do they do it?
Speaker 2: Zara? How do they do Elizabeth? Great questions Aaron.
Speaker 3: They create and share various types of content a.
Speaker 2: Photos, videos, steady stream of stuff, live streams.
Speaker 3: It's all just like tailored for this audience. Sometimes they do collabse that's true, very true, to promote these products or services. It's like sponsored content, reviews, ambassadorships.
Speaker 2: Yeah, brought to you by Yetti cooler, so you're.
Speaker 3: Like the toblerone ambassador. They get commissions for like hawking this stuff, and I understand, yeah, And then they have all like these affiliate links and stuff, and they can track the sales through their recommendations. Some of them sell their own stuff merch digital courses, and they do public events, they do conferences, met and greets.
Speaker 2: They've really changed the name of fame.
Speaker 3: They really really have. And here's something that I find interesting.
Speaker 2: What is that, Elizabeth.
Speaker 3: We like to classify and label everything, including influencers. So there's a categorization for influencers based on their following. Oh really yeah, so mega influencers are celebrities and public figures with millions of followers. Millions, okay, so mega influencers, macro influencers have five hundred thousand to one million followers.
Speaker 2: Okay, I didn't know this was about brokenewer.
Speaker 3: Mid tier influencers they're fifty thousand to five hundred thousand.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Micro influencers they have ten thousand to fifty thousand followers. And then there's nano influencers and that's one thousand to ten thousand followers. Okay, So, and then there's me, the anti influencer.
Speaker 2: Wait, so wait a minute on Ekis on Twitter. Then I would have been a nano nano because I had like some like six thousand. Yeah, I didn't even know what I was.
Speaker 3: That it was right there in front of you. You could have monetized.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to tell my family I am.
Speaker 3: The anti influencer. Yeah, I have a private account. I have less than a thousand followers, and I'm an anti influencer in that if I were to profile a product or a lifestyle as cool, it would instantly make it uncool and.
Speaker 2: Lose money that's not true.
Speaker 3: I deflate brand, but I can.
Speaker 2: See people being less likely to buy that ruin fads.
Speaker 3: I am an anti influencer, but influencers, right, they're this great trope.
Speaker 2: By the way, just interrupt for a second. Would you want to be to have and wield that power? It feels like something you would hate.
Speaker 3: No, I couldn't. I could. I wouldn't want to. I would find it exhausting. Yeah, Like I dabble on social media, so I'll post something every now and then, but like, I don't have how the interns do it with our Instagram account.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 3: I couldn't keep up with that.
Speaker 2: I stay from social media now. It's all gotten lame anywhere.
Speaker 3: It's exhausting and I don't really care. And so you know, we.
Speaker 2: Also, I mean there's just when I go into Instagram now, it's like I don't see people who I follow anymore. No, I'm like, wait, what happened? I didn't add any of this stuff.
Speaker 3: There's all this stuffy social media I have, But yeah, I don't go in there because it's ads and it's stuff I don't know why I'm being.
Speaker 2: Shown and they've really changed the game.
Speaker 3: And then if you look someone up who's a friend of yours and you see all this stuff that you missed.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, do you have to pay to be an influencer?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: I mean, what's up?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but we need to get back to like group emails.
Speaker 2: There you go. There.
Speaker 3: It is so we got the trope of the influencer, like an airhead who can create the image of success and coolness and people just follow blindly.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 3: I like to see people in public trying to get into the game and create quote unquote content.
Speaker 2: Yes, like in restaurants and stuff, and they're like reviewing the food they're eating and they're alone, the cameras on like a little tripod on the table.
Speaker 3: You and I We're at Heifeiburger in Oakland and saw a guy doing that.
Speaker 2: Right, That's what I was thinking of.
Speaker 3: It was. It was a really weird thing to watch, Like he had multiple cameras set up.
Speaker 2: Totally on a table by himself. He turned his personality on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then was like talking. It was really strange. But yeah, that's content. I don't like that word.
Speaker 2: Just like marry not content.
Speaker 3: You make stupid videos. It's not content, you make stupid videos. I have really set myself up to be like the grumpy old gal today anti influencer. It's nine days out of ten these days anyway, influencers in public. So it's wild and like you see them making their videos and like crowded airports.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, I've seen that gyms parks their like yoga stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they've got like some friend filming them. Okay, take it from the top. Yeah, the light's really good. It looks foolish.
Speaker 2: It also just doesn't look like real or present or any of the things you would really want from somebody who is trying to influence you. But it's so performing.
Speaker 3: When you see it, it makes me think of like if I hear a jingle and a commercial, I automatically think about what it looked like when they were recording in the studio, Like, well, someone like shredding on a guitar and the guy from the ad agency is like, I'm sorry, but that's just not giving toyotas on right now, like I need to take it from the top. Or like a vocalist at the mic like singing her heart out and the producer clicks on the speaker and says, you know, that was great, but I need you to put a little more of a growl in the words Maxi pad and she's like, okay, got it, got it, Like okay's just again.
Speaker 2: Come on, grab the keys, let me go, let's go.
Speaker 3: So all that said, I have for you today some influencers, criminal ones, ones that ran afoul of the law while in the act of personal myth making. So that's what being an influencer is, right, it's personal myth making, creating a persona and a lifestyle that's simply not true, not attainable, it's mythic.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to start outside of these here, United States, home of innumerable grifters and cons who sail the social media sees that we're going over to Bele Italia.
Speaker 2: Oh heck, yeah.
Speaker 3: I want to tell you about Kiara Feranyi. Yeah. So she is one of the most prominent figures in Italy and fashion media digital entrepreneurship saren. She was born in nineteen eighty seven in Cremona, Italy. Her dad was a dentist. Her mom, Marina Degardo, is a Sicilian writer who worked as deputy director for the fashion brand Blue Marine. So she's in that.
Speaker 2: So she's kind of a nepo baby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she's got these sisters. And when she was sixteen years old, she got scouted by a modeling agency in Milan. Sixteen Oh okay, when she was six. They were like, yeah, look look at those gams.
Speaker 2: You're going You have a future, You have a future.
Speaker 3: So she modeled for a couple of years. She gave it up. In two thousand and nine, she and her ex boyfriend Ricardo Pizzoli, they started her fashion blog call The Blonde Salad.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, just a word salad.
Speaker 3: Maybe it means something, and it sounds better an.
Speaker 2: Italian sounds better than the original Italian?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 2: Isn't a soup? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: His name is Rick Soup exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So twenty eleven teen Vogue named her Blogger of the Moment. So that's who I lost out to that year, apparently. Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: I thought you had a good shot that year. I know, I've been blogging it.
Speaker 3: Up her blog. Though her blog didn't just stay a blog, oh no, it evolved into a full scale talent agency and fashion brand. She had like a footwear collection. She was making millions of euros. Twenty fifteen, she became the first fashion blogger to appear on any Vogue cover for Vogue Espanya.
Speaker 2: Oh look at her.
Speaker 3: She got featured Forbes thirty under thirty.
Speaker 2: Don't you buy her way on into that?
Speaker 3: I think probably? And she was the subject of a Harvard Business School case study. Really a different kind of criminal.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So by twenty seventeen, Kiara had ten million followers on Instagram. Ten million.
Speaker 2: That's a lot. Yeah, it's a lot of people.
Speaker 3: She launched these collections. She had a capsule collection, like literally with n Espresso in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: The coffee maker. So it wasn't closed, it was like which coffee.
Speaker 3: It was like special coffees. She had fragrance quote initiatives, as some sources called them. I have a fragrance initiative and I, you know, put on the old squirts and then walk out of.
Speaker 2: I have a fragrance initiative. Like when I've been in like a closed room for a while, someone comes up and I'm like, I know it's crazy in here.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's an initiative.
Speaker 2: We have to take an initiative.
Speaker 3: So she appeared in documentaries like Kiar for any unposted, and then she had this reality series The Ferragnz What and that ran from twenty twenty to twenty twenty three. Because he she married an Italian rapper called Fedes fed Easy.
Speaker 2: Oh so this was their portmanteau.
Speaker 3: And his real name is Fredriko Luccia.
Speaker 2: He didn't stay with that.
Speaker 3: That's a good nose, right, I mean, that's like that's you could be smooth, don't know, he's like one of those illustrated man types. He looks like the desk in a poorly performing high school's detention room. Like he's all scribble city. So the couple there they became known as Faragnez and I know I'm not saying that, like, you.
Speaker 2: Know, sure the benefit of their yeah Italy exactly.
Speaker 3: So they had two kids before separating in early twenty twenty four. But they'll always have that reality show. I'm shocked it didn't last, to be honest. Oh so a lot so she served as a judge or like guest judge on shows like Project Runway, Making the Cut and the San Remo Music Festival. She's just everywhere sounds and she also she's got all these brand partnerships mashups. If he will late in twenty twenty two, she partnered with Balco, a well known confectionery company, to launch a limited edition pink Christmas Pandora, branded with her logo.
Speaker 2: That's a bread, right, what is Pandora? What is Pandora? Elizabeth? Clearly, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm so good at asking.
Speaker 2: Yes, great question, Elizabeth.
Speaker 3: Pandora is a traditional Italian sweet bread. Okay, you have it during Christmas?
Speaker 2: Her pan, I just assume bread.
Speaker 3: It's a golden bread, a Dior.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it came from Verona Fair, Verona.
Speaker 2: The gentleman, come from there.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's known for its golden color. It has like a fluffy Brioche like text. Oh that sounds good, signature eight point star shape. You bake it into a special.
Speaker 2: Mold Okay, there we go.
Speaker 3: It gets dusted with powdered sugar. It looks like snow covered mountains. It's delishes.
Speaker 2: Sound good?
Speaker 3: You've actually had it at my place?
Speaker 2: Have I?
Speaker 3: Because Sarah Tasioni, the Colabrian cutie. Yes, she always brings one over.
Speaker 2: The it is Okay, I would like to try it again because it sounds amazing. Apparently the first time you.
Speaker 3: Did, you did, but she just don't remember these things. You know, you got drunk on Pandora and then we had to wheel you out the door. So these things are everywhere in the shops at holiday times, all right, and they come in like those cool boxes. It's like a curved top cardboard box, like a dome almost, and the boxes are a lot of times really beautifully decorated. Hers was special. It was a stylish pink box with a red ribbon on top, and there was matching pink icing on the Pandora.
Speaker 2: Okay, the millennial, yes.
Speaker 3: And there are all sorts of pictures of her pretending to take a bite of a slice of it where she's like yeah, and then you know she's like spits it out.
Speaker 2: I like it if she did that, and then like smile, there's just crumbs all on her teeth and like I love these Whereas.
Speaker 3: They caught her like mid where it's just like half the pieces left, she's like and like a hand mark of so it. But it wasn't just that the packaging was cute and the was cute and she's cute. The campaign was promoting a charity initiative.
Speaker 2: What's the charity initiative?
Speaker 3: I'm so glad? I asked that buyers they were led to believe that a portion of each cakes I believe would be donated to the Regina Margherita Children's Hospital in Turin to support Turino, to support sarcoma and youing sarcoma.
Speaker 2: Research, dear god, children's cancer, and that of.
Speaker 3: Course didn't happen, which is really you know why we're talking about her. So in reality, the company Baloco, they made a single donation of fifty thousand euros before the promotional campaign began, okay, and.
Speaker 2: That was it.
Speaker 3: No further donations tied to sales volume, which is how those things normally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the idea.
Speaker 3: And these these cakes were priced at around nine euros each, and that's compared to the normal like you know, three, three, seventy or four euros.
Speaker 2: So there's very specific like that.
Speaker 3: So there's like a steep mark. Her companies made nearly a million dollars in licensing promotional revenue, and remember peeled off only fifty k for kids cancer. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So there was this journalist, Silvaggia Lucerelli, and she, like herself, is pretty problematic and has been sued fifteen ways to Sunday for privacy violations defamations right now, Well, she uncovered the discrepancy, so I'll say, okay, good job.
Speaker 2: Get on her. Yeah.
Speaker 3: By early twenty twenty four, Italy's antitrust authority had opened an investigation into both Farani and the Pandora company Ploco. So they figured that the consumers had been misled into thinking that the purchases triggered donations, when in fact the donations was independent.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So she and her companies were fined over a million euros, and then the cake company got fined around six hundred and seventy five thousand. She publicly apologized. She said she believed that no trial necessary to prove her innocence, and she's like, you know what, I'm going to go ahead and donate a million euros to the hospital, and I'm never going to mix charity and commerce in future promotions. And then people started digging around some more and they found other like hanky charity stuff. She did Easter Eggs in twenty twenty one and twenty twenty two, and then all these other branded collaborations that were supposed to have a charity aspect to it. A similar structures payments to her brands while no conditional donations were made. This consumer group CODACONS filed complaints across all these Italian jurisdictions. Multiple investigations were initiated into all this like aggravated fraud. So October of twenty twenty four, Milan prosecutors concluded that she had realized an unjust profit of two point two five million euros via all these schemes, and they wanted to do indicteror for aggravated fraud. By it's December of twenty twenty four, she reached a settlement with CODACNS, agreeing to compensate all the affected consumers with one hundred and fifty euros each, reimbursed legal expenses, and donate two hundred thousand euros to an anti violence charity for women.
Speaker 2: She essentially stole some two and whatever million euros from all these charities, and she gets off with a slap on the rest essentially.
Speaker 3: And then they withdrew their complaints. So despite the settlement, January twenty twenty five, the Milan prosecutor formally indicted her on aggravated fraud charges, along with Bloco's leadership and her former manager Fabio Dmato. So a trial is set to begin in September.
Speaker 2: Oh so she actually still catch some with justice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she faces up to five years in prison.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Simultaneously, the scandal triggered legislative change, a sort of Jackie Cougan situation. In early twenty twenty four, Italy enacted the Ferrani Law, requiring influencers with over one million followers to clearly disclose and legally structure charitable promotions to combat false advertising and fraud.
Speaker 2: That's amazing they put her name on the law.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you got over a million. So let's let's stop there for a bit. I need to hear some ads. I'm hoping for one for some influencer stuff. That would be amazing. When we come back, more social media scamming Zareneth Saren All right, are you ready to influence?
Speaker 2: You don't have to get ready.
Speaker 3: If you stay ready, let me tell you something. Belle Gibson, like, I'm talking about the star of such his as lethal weapon three, what women want? Daddy's home too, tim and boss level but with a stuffed up nose Bell Gibson, which I have quite a bit anyway, because I'm a delicate orchid. In the slightest thing sets my systems up.
Speaker 2: This is true.
Speaker 3: No, I said Belle Gibson, not Mel Gibson. Belle is another Aussie and one who's also full of it. Oh really yeah, So she was born Annabelle Natalie Gibson.
Speaker 2: Does she Do you think she intentionally tried to make it Bell Gibson. So it's kind of had like.
Speaker 3: That, probably Bell Gibson. Belle Gibson with boord and like to do well in Tasmania Devil. She dropped out of high school. She moved to Perth, Australia. She got work at like a catering supply company, and she got super into skateboarding culture there. Good for her, right, and she was a big online presence in that community because that's where all the action takes place with skateboarding is online totally. That's really the spot really where everything happens. In July of two thousand and nine, she moved to Melbourne, Melbourne, Melbourne, Melbourne, Melbourne and the next year, when she was eighteen, she had a kid. Congratulations. A couple of years go by then she made it to the big time. She opened an Instagram account. H No, she w buddy, I wish, I wish. So she has this Instagram account. It has now been deleted. I think healing underscore bell and she claimed that she had multiple cancers, including a terminal brain tumor. Tragic news and then she's like, oh, ps, I also I healed myself through natural diets and holistic health approaches, so you know that's the way it works with terminal brain cancer and other cancers. I have had it up to hear with pseudoscience, like science denial. Food is medicine, yes, but it's not the only medicine. Yes, eat your color is very important, but it's not the only medicine. If you buy into this, please don't message me or email us or leave some like wounded comment. I'm glad you feel like you've accomplished something, but we are seeing people dying as a result of the ignorance that blossoms in this BS wellness culture.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I know, legit, people that likely have been dying. Amanda from MTV she died press cancer, which she could have been treating it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, And TikTok not a source of health information.
Speaker 2: Now, all the short form videos just generally.
Speaker 3: Pasteurization important and safe.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's true.
Speaker 3: Vaccines save lives. Yeah, yeah, Gibson was going around telling the media that she had this brain cancer. She also had blood, spleen, uterine, liver, and kidney cancer.
Speaker 2: What the hell?
Speaker 3: What bad luck? Right? Bad luck? No, not bad luck. She said she got all of those as a reaction to the Gardasle cervical cancer vaccine.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, So she threw shade on real legit vaccine. Yeah, and she's like, I got all the cancer.
Speaker 3: But she's like, you know, the thing is, what's great, I cured my cancer with Whole Foods.
Speaker 2: So a.
Speaker 3: Year after starting her Instagram account, she debuted The Whole Pantry, which was a mobile app that blended healthy recipes, positive affirmations, and wellness philosophy.
Speaker 2: Now you know, I grew up eating health food. I was a vegetarian as a kid, so I understand and will argue for the benefit of food being key. But I'm with you. I cannot stand this stuff that people have been doing because now it's hard for people to find the real science because of.
Speaker 3: These exactly exactly, so, this app, The Whole Pantry, was downloaded two hundred thousand times in its first month, and then it was later selected as one of Apple's best food and drink apps in twenty thirteen. That is who we lost out to that year's Zarin right. Okay, so it was also slated to be pre installed on the new Apple Watch in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 2: Like a youtwo song.
Speaker 3: Well you know how great Apple is when it comes to judgment and pre installations.
Speaker 2: No products, it never failed, no, no always good ones. Yeah, so around, I still can't get that YouTube bottom of my computer, my phone, my iPad.
Speaker 3: It never around the same time, she secured a cookbook deal, and when the book was launched in November of twenty fourteen, she wrote in the preface that she had been quote stable for two years now with no growth of the cancer. But that didn't match up what she'd said in the press and in her social media, Like she was telling magazines that the cancer had reached her liver and her kidneys. She posted on The Whole Pantry's Facebook page that her cancer had spread to her brain, blood, spleen, and uterus. And then she doubled down. She's like, you know what, it's I don't just have cancer, I have heart failure too.
Speaker 2: I also have hair cancer.
Speaker 3: She said, that's that. Get damned hair cancer. She said she had to have heart surgery quote several times.
Speaker 2: Several times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then she even died on the table once and they were all clear and they brought her back.
Speaker 2: She didn't start doing near death experienced stuff and I went to heaven and came back.
Speaker 3: But like, was that enough? No? No, what story people would say, can we interview your doctors and look at your charts? Like we've never seen anything like this for someone who'd undergone multiple heart surgeries. She was shockingly scarfree.
Speaker 2: Oh no, zipper or no, it was the chest.
Speaker 3: No, nothing, no, raised, it was you know.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 3: Through the nose. So, like I said earlier, and we've agreed, food is medicine. That's undisputed. And the whole pantry was actually like a good thing in terms of promoting movement and exercise and positivity and healthy eating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they'll name some good stuff and what they're catching app wasn't. That's why it gets confusing.
Speaker 3: The app wasn't the problem. The problem was Old Girl's Instagram account. So that's where she was like touting snake oil stuff like coffee enemas, juice cleanses, detox liver cleansing, which ps, that's what your liver does. For a living and then like really dangerous stuff like anti facts and drinking the pasteurized raw milk brainworm City basically. So either way, she's making moves, she's doing deals, and she was living large too, Like she had this really posh townhouse, she drove a luxury car, elegant office space. She was getting like cosmetic dental procedures. Yeah, she wore designer clothes. She took all these really extravagant international vacations, sales of the app and the book combined to bring in more than one hundred million Australian dollars for our miracle gal. What she was on the brink of expanding out into a brand called The Whole Life, not just the whole Pantry, the Whole Life, which seems like a lot, The Whole Life all that's everything.
Speaker 2: I'm still stuck on one hundred million, the Australian dollars.
Speaker 3: Right, No, one million million? Did I say it? It's one million anyway, So she of course claimed charitable intentions. So I feel like the Kardashians are the only ones on this ship of fools who just take the money and don't try to do some bogus I don't know, maybe they do. I don't know willingly follow what they do. Everything I know is through osmosis. I watch a lot of stuff on TV, like a lot, but I draw the line at around on that, Oh my gosh, I'm so living my truth and honest and transparent. Anyway, So, Gibbson said that she donated substantial proceeds up to three hundred thousand dollars to various causes, including like children with cancer, maternal health care, but investigative reports revealed that only a few thousand dollars were actually donated, like two percent of what she claimed. Yeah, And since rumors about her possible fraud started to spread, people looked into all her business dealings and it came out that her charitable contributions from both twenty thirteen and twenty fourteen never made it to the stated destinations. And Gimbson is like, that's a lie. And the press were like, no, you're the lie. You are one big lie.
Speaker 2: You're the lie. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So Fairfax Media they found that she had quote failed to hand over the proceeds solicited in the name of five charities and had quote grossly overstated the company's total donations to different causes When asked about this, two of the charities backed it up. They were like, she used our name in fundraising drives, but that was like as far as we got involved, some of them got shady little bits of money or no money at all.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: One of the big claims was that the whole pantry donated three hundred thousand to charity, not just the cancer stuff, but like you know, healthcare and impoverished countries and like schools and sub Saharan Africa.
Speaker 2: Oh that that old.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: People always picked the same ones because it's like, oh, you're doing such good work with those ports children and some South in Africa who don't even have deaths at schools, and those kids with cancer.
Speaker 3: Tell me the name of the country or the city or the village, like no, just deepest, darkest stuff. So at one point she said she was working with twenty different charities. Twenty Yeah, that was a major exact.
Speaker 2: It's also a nice round number. She should have gone with eighteen, I know.
Speaker 3: So they presented with all this damning evidence of her fraud. She admitted like, okay, yeah, that is a major exaggeration. So the press they really start digging in. They calculate that she had donated a total of about seven grand spread among three charities, and that's a long way from three hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: The best kind of Reporters also found she doesn't even tip at restaurants.
Speaker 3: Well, and then a thousand of that seven thousand was only donated after the media investigations came to light. She's got to throw another thousand in it. And some of the seven thousand wasn't even donated in her name or the company's name. It was just under someone else's name. Because you know, I make a lot of really big donations, but I do it under my other name, Mackenzie Scott, like the same name as ex wife of Jeff Bezos, happens to donate billions or sometimes I donate under the name Bill Gates. Oh yeah, the pet name that my friends have for me.
Speaker 2: Your longer name Bill and Melinda Gates.
Speaker 3: Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Yeah yeah, that's it's like, you know, a family thing.
Speaker 2: Thank you for all the money, you.
Speaker 3: Know, me and Darlene shyly So. One of the charities that Gibson said that she was fundraising for was to support treatment for a kid with brain cancer. The only thing is her parents never saw a dime. They didn't know that their kid was being used as a fundraising too, And then they were like starting to wonder if she only befriended them and their kid in order to do research on what it's like to have brain cancer?
Speaker 2: Are you kidding? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Apparently she was like asking a lot of questions which you don't really need to ask if you yourself have brain cancer, She's like.
Speaker 2: Does it hurt on side of your head or like in the center?
Speaker 3: Totally. So in February of twenty fifteen, things started to come crashing down. A close friend of Gibson's confronted her, like, have you been cheating the charities? And do you have cancer in the first place? You have to tell the truth. Her friend told her, No, said Gibson, I do not.
Speaker 2: Have to tell the truth.
Speaker 3: So her friends saw that Gibson was not just getting one over on people. She was hurting people people with cancer. So she's like, I know what I gotta do. I'm going public. She got in touch with the cops, a lawyer, and an investigative journalist. Oh no, that's the start of a joke right there.
Speaker 2: Seriously, I'll walk into a bar but here's the.
Speaker 3: Thing, none of them really interested in what she had to say.
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: But then was she not good at telling the stories?
Speaker 3: You walk in, my friend, you'll find that a lot of people don't want to step to these influencers. They just like that thing, you know. Yeah, you'll see. So the Melbourne newspaper The Age, stepped up. They broke the story and in March twenty fifteen, after reports identified her charity frauds, it was revealed that she made up her cancers and then also lied about her age, her personal life or history so she couldn't escape it now. In April of twenty fifteen, she admitted to Australian Women's Weekly that her claims about all of her cancers were just fiction. As she said, quote, none of it's true. And she said it wasn't her fault though, I mean, it never is. She claimed that it was the way that she was brought up. Her mom neglected her. She said she had to take care of her. Yeah, she said, you had to take care of herself. And her autistic little brother from a very young age.
Speaker 2: Was he really autistic?
Speaker 3: She never got to be a kid. It was everyone else's fault. Throughout the whole interview, she never apologized. It should be noted that her mom then gave an interview stating that that was all her claims were false and that her little brother is not as I knew. I know, I know, I don't know how. So here you have this woman who has all these deals, books, apps, with Apple, lifestyle brands, you name it, and it's all built upon her having a bunch of different cancers and treating it with stuff like apple cider, vinegar.
Speaker 2: And nobody was suspicious.
Speaker 3: No, and then now she admits made it all up, never had cancer.
Speaker 2: I'm a fraud.
Speaker 3: And so this made people wonder, like, what's up with these big corporations or shoveling cash? He like, didn't they investigate before signing on to like basically endorse her brand And where's the due diligence? Yeah, so we're talking about like her cookbook publisher was Penguin Books. So and then you got Apple and the watch launch, all that breathless, fawning coverage in the Australian press. Everyone seemed to look the other way because the story was just too good and she was making them too much money. So let's look at Penguin. I like to go after publishers. So Lantern Books was the imprint, the Penguin imprint that put out the cookbook. They were like, hey man, it's a cookbook. We only vet the recipes. It actually looked into her sort of Before the book was published. They made her answer questions on video about the information in her preface that told her sob story, and I guess they thought it was good enough, like you know, things got hot though, So Penguin pulled the from the shelves. Claimed it was because it was asking Gibson for confirmation of her stories and she wasn't providing it, And they wound up having to pay thirty thousand dollars to the Victorian Consumer Law Fund as a penalty for not validating her you know, the veracity of.
Speaker 2: Claimed and doing their due diligence essentially, Saren, what about Apple? What about Apple? Isabeth Pocket?
Speaker 4: Apple?
Speaker 2: Long?
Speaker 3: Last you ask a question? At first, Apple refused to pull the whole pantry app from the app store?
Speaker 2: Are you kidding?
Speaker 3: They said that the only thing they cared about was that the app worked like it said it would, And they're like, it's functional, or get off our backs Wow. But then they quietly removed it from the Apple Watch, like she didn't get the U two treatment. They just like pulled it. And then they quietly took the app off the app store and erased all the promotional material that included whole pantry And like, did they explain themselves?
Speaker 2: Probably not, of course not.
Speaker 3: They're Apple, They're the big dogs. They owe no one anything like.
Speaker 2: Back off saren why asking somebody? Yeah.
Speaker 3: Elle Australia magazine they wrote a glowing piece on her in their December twenty fourteen issue. It came out, they got a couple tips that like, you know, she's not really telling the truth, everything's actually made up. Magazine ignores it. Then another magazine, Cosmopolitan, which has like the same publisher as El Australia, they gave Gibson its twenty fourteen Fun Fearless Female Social Media Award, and then they also got tips via email like hey, look, she's not what she says she is. They ignored them.
Speaker 2: We already gave her the three f awards, so we're going with it. There.
Speaker 3: It is then Gibson admits to the lies. Everyone figured they'd do something like, you know, Stripper of the Award the award that you and I should have won totally.
Speaker 2: I mean, if anybody's a fun, fearless female, if you're me. No.
Speaker 3: They claim that she had been quote reader nominated and reader voted, like, so blame the reader. Yeah, nice, don't worry that. When the award came out, the magazine's associate editor said, they quote put forward the nomination myself. So it was the readers or was it the staff? Does anyone tell the truth around here?
Speaker 2: Is there any accountability anymore? Zero?
Speaker 3: May twenty sixteen, consumer Affairs Victoria cav initiated civil proceedings against Gibson and her company. They cited misleading and deceptive conduct under Australian consumer law. March twenty seventeen, the Federal Court of Australia upheld most allegations. They figured that like Gibson had no reasonable basis to believe she had cancer, and that she had engaged in deceptive conduct.
Speaker 2: She should have stuck with skateboarding.
Speaker 3: Honestly, like it'd be a different world for her right now. They tried to enforce the judgment that like search warrants on her property.
Speaker 2: In twenty twenty twenty twenty one, Raids and Stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they tried to recover the unpaid debts, which like at this point is north of five hundred thousand dollars. February twenty twenty one, a court registrar classified the case as abandoned, though, but enforcement actions continued. In early twenty twenty five, Netflix least a dramatized series called Apple Cider Vinegar, dramatizing her story and against wellness scams, and that was based on the investigative book The Woman Who Fooled the World by bo' donnelly and Nick Toscano. I have neither read nor watched either influencer. Hell, that's where we are, So let's take a break, little breather, listen to some ads, maybe they will influence you. And when we come back, I have one more for you, Zaren. Hey, Hey, I got one more influencer for you today, Elizabeth Dunnon.
Speaker 2: During the break, I was practicing influencing the interns. They just looked at me and kind of hung their like shaggy heads and they're like, what are you doing here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but look they're all wearing your exact same outfit.
Speaker 2: Who I didn't even notice you influenced them. Yeah, that's good job. Thank you. I've learned so much today.
Speaker 3: How many followers do you have? I have two and their dogs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got the same too and their dogs.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Carolyn Callaway, Yeah, she was the ultimate New York lifestyle right. Was born in nineteen ninety one in Falls Church, Virginia. She went to the Tony Boarding school Phillips Exeter Academy. Her great grandpa was a real estate mogul who developed most of Sarasota, Florida.
Speaker 2: Oh fun fact, there you go.
Speaker 3: So she started out as an undergrad and art history at NYU, New York University, and then she got fixated on going to Cambridge like just like determined. It took her three applications, but in twenty thirteen she went to Saint Edmund's College, Cambridge. She had to fake her transcripts to get in, but whatever, what do you mean she cheated her way into Cambridge?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 3: Yeah. So she made a name for herself there, but not academically. No. She joined Instagram and it was on that platform that she created a highly stylized feed like and her signature were these long diaristic captions.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, I remember people talking about this.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So her Instagram journey that began with glamorized depictions of her student life at Cambridge, and she bought followers and used targeted ads to build her following. Her feed was aspirational, it was dreamy. She got the nickname Gatsby of Cambridge.
Speaker 2: Are you kidding?
Speaker 3: I'm not Kiddingaty of Cambridge?
Speaker 2: I mean you do know who? Did you read the book?
Speaker 3: I haven't read the book, but we all know that what we see on Insta isn't the honest truth at all. It is a created identity.
Speaker 2: A couple of friends of mine who just post pictures of food that they've horrifically cooked.
Speaker 3: My god, when people post pictures of dinners and you're like, don't tell anyone you maybe.
Speaker 2: Did your car run over that?
Speaker 3: And it's like the flash was on and it's just and it's two colors on an entire play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks like something like you know, in two year olds make your food out of mud.
Speaker 3: It's so brutal. Or the worst is like, look at this beautiful party spread and you're like, oh.
Speaker 2: Money, don't take don't you are those paper napkins? Yea?
Speaker 3: Is it a plastic table cloth? I am the biggest stob in the world. So if you think that I'm going to look at an Instagram feed and not judge, no I am. I am judge, jury executioner, Lady Justice. I am a pcently lady host justice exactly all right. So, but we had, like, you know, this beautiful thing on Instagram. The basics of life, though, like getting rejected from colleges, not being able to pay your rent, looking frumpy. Those things aren't interesting unless you're an anti influence.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So around twenty fifteen, twenty sixteen, she's at the height of her Instagram, okay, and because of that, she secured a six figure US book deal with Flat Iron Books for a memoir that was supposed to be titled and we were like and we were like multiple outlets. New Yorker The Cut reported different amounts. The Cut said it was three hundred and seventy five thousand dollars with a one hundred thousand dollars advance, so that brought it up to four seventy five. Carolyn herself sometimes refers to it as a five hundred thousand dollars book deal. All I can say is that is insane. That's an insane Amountred thousand dollars is an insane advance like this, Just we don't see numbers like that, not.
Speaker 2: In publishing, not anymore, not even like authors who actually do write their books. I do have like a history of writing books.
Speaker 3: No, no, So the book was pitched as an expansion of her Instagram captions. It was like coming of age story right Instagram the Empire. It was set against her, like romanticized Cambridge years. But the reason you haven't heard about it it was never published. The deal fell apart before the manuscript was delivered, so she had to return what was left of the advance to Flatirn. And she claimed that she walked away from it because the publishers wanted to quote a cookie cutter memoir that didn't reflect her true voice. But there's another account, one that painted a different picture, that the project collapsed due to Carolyn's procrastination, her chaotic process, her reluctance to edit or refine drafts. Who told that side of the story.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth told that side of the story, Thank.
Speaker 3: You, Natalie Beach. She met Carolyn at Nyuka or Caroline at Nyu. Beach has said that she ghost wrote many of Caroline's long Instagram captions, the ones that like established her dreamy, diaristic style. I can't get over ghostwriting Instagram captions.
Speaker 2: I'm still thinking about ghostwriting the Whip, so i can't.
Speaker 3: But like there's like the Lana del Rey of it all is a little.
Speaker 2: Jills bear verjacent.
Speaker 3: It's very yeah, and but like ghost writing Instagram captions come on as a.
Speaker 2: Job as a job.
Speaker 3: And then Beach said she also co authored the book proposal that landed the deal, and that you know, Caroline just handled the photos, the ideas, the editing, the vibe she vibed out on it. To September of twenty nineteen, Beach published I was Caroline Callaway in The Cut, and the piece revealed their friendship, collaborative work, and then the eventual.
Speaker 2: Fallouts like printing text messages and yeah, it.
Speaker 3: Talked about like Caroline's manipulation, erratic behavior. She had all these emotional episodes, like you know, she would allegedly threaten to self harm if Beach pushed back on anything. There was the strain Beach had of being uncredited while her writing is like building this brand, and the essay became The Cut's most read story of the year. Reignited interest in the collapsed book deal. I remember reading it when it came out.
Speaker 2: Sound like this is so much and you said her name. I was like, oh I remember this. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So with no book deal, what's a gal to do?
Speaker 2: I do not know Elizabeth.
Speaker 3: I don't know either. So how can she make the money to support her dreamy install lifestyle. I wouldn't know what to do?
Speaker 2: She knew what to show, how savvy girl.
Speaker 3: She started holding things called creativity workshops.
Speaker 2: Oh no.
Speaker 3: She announced a creativity workshop tour in December of twenty eighteen, and it was going to be this like multi city road show. Is going to cost one hundred and sixty five dollars a person, and attendees were promised creative guidance, lunch care packages, personal letters, and fresh orchid crowns.
Speaker 2: She's going to monetize her fan base.
Speaker 3: Yes, the tour would hit cities like Boston, San Francisco, Chicago, DC. Yeah. It really quickly began to fall apart. The first problem is that she never booked the venues.
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me that right there?
Speaker 3: That's a problem. Yeah, and then she ordered twelve hundred Mason jars for the care packages. But she had no place to store.
Speaker 2: Them, so she did a total four seasons landscape.
Speaker 3: Yes for the events.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then she shows up with like, here's some stuff I got at the Dollar Star.
Speaker 3: She's not a logistics lady. So the press and critics they drew parallels to the disaster of the fire festival, Oh y, we need to do it. And under mounting scrutiny from Twitter users like Kayleie Donaldson, who called it a quote scam, Caroline announced cancelations and refunds, but despite the chaos, she did hold two in person workshops, one of which took place in Brooklyn. A reporter from New York Magazine attended the event and shared a vivid account. Yes, Zarines, I want you to picture it. You are an aspiring Instagram influencer. Your feed is all hydro flasks and Chanel shopping bags and sun dresses and of course you and all of it. Standing in front of a field of sunflowers, your hands shielding your eyes from the sun, facing out to the ocean, wearing a suggestion of a swimsuit, holding up a peace sign at the color correct at sea. You are a waif of a girl. You've got the thy gap and the long brown hair meant for social media stardom. You only have four seven hundred and forty five followers. Though your feed is a little scattered, you haven't seemed to lock into a real esthetic. You want more than just the image. You want to create things. You aren't sure what you want to be an entrepreneur. You aren't one hundred percent sure what that means, but it's what you want to that end. You've purchased a ticket for Caroline Calloway's creativity workshop. You love her. She's everything. She's so beautiful and stylish and witty and messy. You wish you were her, and this would be the best way to try and get as close to that happening as possible. You took a couple trains to get to Brooklyn early this morning. You walk up to a loft building, triple checking the address on your phone with the one on the building. This should be the place cars sit by. People chat outside a coffee shop on their way to work. You sit on a nearby stoop and wait. Pretty soon people start showing up all manner of young white women stream in from ride shares and public transportation and even a bike. They are all impossibly cool in your estimation, and you realize you are one of them, so you must be cool too. You look up at the sky to remember this moment when everything came together and your journey truly started right here on the sidewalk in Brooklyn, right here in the coolest place on earth. Your heart is full, brimming with potential and serious bravitas of the moment. Then a pigeon alights next to your shoe, hoops on the sidewalk, coops and flies away. Wasn't supposed to go like that? Those are yeazis. That was a close call. Oh you saw Suddenly the door the loft swings Olga. You get to a large open space and mingle with the other attendees. You scan the crowd, but you can see Caroline. You pour yourself a coffee with oat milk, stroll through the root and listening in on conversations. One woman tells another she came up from Florida. Another chimes in that she's in town from Seattle. You pass a woman talking about going to an Ivy League college with another.
Speaker 2: Who's in nursing school.
Speaker 3: They discuss the difficulty of juggling posting with studying. One woman clears her throat and sings a high note. Apparently she's trained to be an oppersit. That's a good angle. You think to be cute and sing opera and wear European designer clothes and travel to European cities and speak various European languages, just like the europe of it all. It's a good gimmick. As dreamy pop music plays, a staffer hands you a personalized journal with your name on it. You are prepared to cherish it forever. You also get a tot, a candle, a crystal, and a mason jar seated for a DIY garden. The event tickets said you'd also get an orchid crown, the pinnacle of Instagram cool. Not just a flower crown, an orchid crown. You ask about it and you're told there won't be crowns, but you will get one orchid to wear in your hair or pin to your top. You just have to make sure you return it before you leave. Suddenly, the room goes silent. Caroline has arrived. She's wearing a T shirt that says scammer under a cart again. Across one side of the room is a banner reading fire Festival in handcut aqua paper letters. Caroline playfully identifies and waves at the journalists present. She then declares that she won't allow them to take photos with the orchids. For the next few hours, you break into groups of five or show and share your creations, poems, artwork that one woman sings an aara. You wrote a stream of consciousness paragraph about the beach. Caroline walks by as you read it and gives a nod, moving on to the next group. Soon the whole thing is over and you all spill out onto the street. You have to admit it was kind of a mess. That's Caroline. Knowing it's a mess and still feeling it was worth it makes you in on it. Caroline's in her presence, her authenticity content be damned. And then, like the end of Animal House, a text comes on the screen and it turns out you gave up on being an Instagram influencer. You moved to Florida and you got your real estate license. Good for you. There you go. The workshops were a bust that didn't stop Caroline. She held two workshops under a cheekier title, the aptly named the Scam. No press was invited for those, but one reporter did go undercover. Attendees were refunded if they were journalists, and some semblance of delivery took place, but still it was underwhelming. In April of twenty twenty, she responded to Beach's essay with I am Carolyn Calloway, and she self published it behind a paywall to raise money for COVID nineteen relief efforts. Raised nearly fifty grand that's how we people paid to read it. Then in twenty twenty three, she released her memoir called Scammer, and it's a collection of sixty seven vignettes, some new summ repurposed public and critical response was mixed, but you know, amused, intrigued. A guy from The New Yorker called it funny, engaging and full of genuine insight. Really yeah, she continued building a bizarre patchwork career. She joined OnlyFans in twenty twenty. Oh and she sells literary themed softcore content and it apparently makes.
Speaker 2: A literary theme softcore on her body.
Speaker 3: No, so she does like cosplay of characters from stuff like Harry Potter, Matilda and Beauty and the Beast, basically like kid stuff. Oh and then there are partially undressed photographs of herself captioned with details of her father's autopsy. What yeah, yeah, yeah, there it is. Apparently she makes a lot of money doing this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everyone only apparently does. So.
Speaker 3: She went around saying in the interviews that she started her naked lady journey thanks to your alma mater, Playboy.
Speaker 2: Oh there you go, and according to her stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she said. The magazine commissioned a photoshoot of her addressed as a student in a library, but then Playboy released the statement saying quote, Playboy does not have and did not have any photoshoot planned with Caroline Calloway. Yeah. Oof.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty one, she launched a DIY skincare product that called snake Oil, and it was like grape seed and essential oils. Dermatologists were skeptical.
Speaker 2: If she leans into it, The hill Scammer shared sneak bar. She was like, you know what, you're.
Speaker 3: In on it, but you're still spending the money. But you know it doesn't matter, Like you could buy it and be in on the joke. That's what I get it. Twenty twenty three, she relocated to Sarasota, Florida with her cat Matisse, where.
Speaker 2: Her grandfather had founded the town.
Speaker 3: October of twenty twenty four, she made headlines again, not for a scandal, but for refusing to evacuate during Hurricane Milton despite mandatory orders. So why didn't she evacuate? Well, she said she had trauma from her previous evacuation during Hurricane Ian. She also doesn't know how to drive, and the airports were closed. And then she posted updates from her house promising that her forthcoming book would come out quote if I survive yeah, and social media like she got the world's worst influencer. Yet here's the thing about Caroline Callaway. She embodies influencer culture's excess. I mean she had all this mess with like she was getting evicted, not paying a rent and it was just lawsuits against her for that persona though was outpacing substance. She had this painfully chaotic result. I am an agent of chaos, as you like to say, but I like that chaos to be organic. I just do one little thing to set it in motion. But I don't orchestra you see the earth with Yes, I want authentic chaos. So these influencers, like, are they con artists? Performance artists? Deeply troubled, you know, charismatic trying to navigate this brutal digital era. I'd like your thoughts on that, because that question is my takeaway. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, wow, that's quick. You know, like if you don't like trim a tree and then a tree limp falls on her person and hurts them, that seems to be her mess. Yes, it's not like you with the I seated the earth and this grew of the earth with the conditions of sunlight and water. It's like, oh, let's see what pops up. This is more like where did that come from? Why didn't someone do their due diligence and trim this tree? And she's like, I'm just so messy.
Speaker 3: Well, and you know, messy people are entertaining to a certain.
Speaker 2: Yere right up. Util the mess is on you and.
Speaker 3: It gets exhausted.
Speaker 2: I sent you to the hospital or bankruptcy or.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know what I need. I need to talk back. That's my kind of social media.
Speaker 2: Oh oh my god, could you just see that? I led get.
Speaker 3: Hi, Zaron and Elizabeth, you want to hear something ridiculous.
Speaker 1: When I was in the Navy back in the early seventies, we used.
Speaker 2: To fly from Chicago to California, buy cors beer at five dollars a case, take it back to Chicago, and sell it for twenty dollars a case. Now that's ridiculous. You were doing smoking in the bandit in the air force. I love that, even though I don't like cors beer.
Speaker 3: How in the world was cores cheaper in California?
Speaker 2: Well, because you know, back then you couldn't get cores east of the Mississippi. The whole thing in the smoking the band it was legit. Like my father, I remember when we went to Colorado. We were driving to California and he was all excited to be able to get COR's beer.
Speaker 3: He's like, we're going to go in Colorado and California. I guess this is just fun.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because all you have to do is you go somewhere west and then you can fly somewhere back east and all of a sudden, now it's super valuable. We don't have that kind of regional fund anymore.
Speaker 3: Beer list, No, we really don't.
Speaker 2: I love that. Thank you.
Speaker 3: That's awesome, And that's it for today. You can find us online at Ridiculous Crime dot com. We just one lady Blogger of the seventeenth Century, awarded by Doanes Backpills It's pretty Big Deals, Aaron, don't laugh. We're also at Ridiculous Crime on Blue Sky and Instagram all the sash halls. If you're on YouTube, It's Ridiculous Crime pod YouTube, Email us at Ridiculous Crime at gmail dot com. Leave a talk back on the iHeart app, Please reach out. Ridiculous Crime is hosted by Elizabeth Dutton and Zaren Burnett, produced and edited by Chief Ridiculous Crime brand Ambassador Dave Cousten, starring Annals Rutger as Judith. Research is by travel influencer with two point eight million followers, Marisa Brown. The theme song is by Tummy t Enthusiast Thomas Lee and face Tuned flip Flop TikToker Travis Dunton. Post wardrobe is provided by Botany five hundred. Guest hair and makeup by Sparkleshot and mister Andre. Executive producers are feed curator Ben Boleen and professional Instagram real consultant Noel grind dis Crime Say It One More Time Geous Crime.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio Four more podcasts My Heart Radio Visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.