Speaker 1: Welcome to tech Stuff. I'm os Voloscian. There are many ways to think about AI. The one that recently struck me quite a lot comes from Demis Hassebus, founder of Google's Deep Mind, who said, if you stop to think about it, we've essentially found a way to make sand think. He was talking about silicon, the element that is melted and sliced into the chips that power AI, and today I want to talk about those chips. Our guest today is Steve Vassalo, a venture capitalist who was the first backer of Cerebras, a chip company that went public earlier this year in the largest ever IPO for a semiconductor company. Steve, Welcome to tech Stuff.
Speaker 2: Thanks Arles. It's great to be here, great.
Speaker 1: To see I'm curious what's your reaction to that, To that framing of demis making sand think.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's such a great reminder of what it is that we're doing and how fundamental it is, both from a physics perspective and all the hard work that is required to take a piece of sand and turn it into ultimately intelligence. And then there's also something that feels sort of I don't know, almost I would say sort of you know, just sort of scary and fun in a humanity sense, like, Wow, what are we building right now? What are we doing to be able to sort of turn this, you know, very basic material that surrounds us everywhere into something that is super intelligent.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you all about the story of Cerebrest and and also frankly, what wayfer scale means. But before we get there, can you just zoom out a little bit and give us the wider context of what's going on with chips right now? Because I think we will see the headlines. I mean, I'm going to read a few, but the New York Times recently had it's not just in Nvidia. The AI boom has ignited Asia's chip companies. Dull Street Journal had a couple of months ago inside Apple's push to build an all American Chip axios in July, Chip craze for the layman, what's going on here?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I love that question.
Speaker 3: So the way I think about it is really sort of starts with what I'll call workloads, And the workloads are, you know, what is the work of computing, And if you go back to the nineteen seventies and eighties, the workloads at that time were very serialized. They were kind of diverse if you think about the invention of things like the spreadsheet, or you know, as a kid, I wrote my college essays on word Star and an eighty eighty six IBM computer.
Speaker 1: Diverse in a sense that different computers for different applications, or diverse in what sense.
Speaker 3: Diverse in that you had one computing platform, which turned out to be Intel's X eighty six platform that turned out to be a great general purpose computing platform for a wide variety of applications. And then sometime in the kind of mid nineteen eighties, we began to see a new workload emerge. And that workload really came from two areas as one was from gaming and the rendering of pixels and a need for paralyzation of the compute. And then also in believe it or not, the CAD tools, so you know, building new products, whether its futures exactly.
Speaker 2: So computer aided.
Speaker 3: Design pushed the perimeter of what was possible on traditional computing CPU general purpose systems. So that was really the dawn of the GPU, and really that was Nvidia. And by the way, at the time of Nvidia's founding, there were like we're seeing today thirty other companies working on graphics processing units. And I say graphics processing units. We many people, you know, see the term GPU. They don't know or remember that, like graphics is the g It was purpose built for that workload. And then the next real shift was a few decades later, but was really a constraint a workload driven by mobile devices, and the constraints there are totally different, right. This is form factor, this is power consumption, battery life of course related to that, and so you've got a totally different workload. And then what we began to see this is now zooming forward to kind of the twenty fifteen timeframe, really starting in the twenty twelve timeframes, but the workloads began to really build in the mid twenty tens. And what you saw was, oh wait a minute, statistical inference over large data sets. Our portfolio companies were beginning to hire data science teams business models that weren't possible before you had sort of a real awareness of kind of the data underlying your This.
Speaker 1: Was the era when phrases like big data es out computing mark andresen saying software eats the world. Is this the area referring to sort.
Speaker 3: Of about five years later than software into the world, but kind of roughly contemporaneous with that. But really what you're seeing big data is absolutely right and in a sense that, wow, there are signals inside of our businesses that if we're more attuned to we could make better decisions. And what was interesting at that time, and this kind of ties back to the sort of the GPU wave was those kinds of workloads. AI workloads are very data io intensive, so that just means the data is moving through the system with with a lot of bandwidth, memory bandwidth and with high high frequency.
Speaker 1: Back and forth, back and forth. We had somebody who I'm sure you know, Nick McEwen from course on the show recently, who was at Cisco in the days of building the kind of you know dominat net Round.
Speaker 3: He was building networks, networking systems in that company was acquired by Cisco.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: He was saying, today's data center, a single data center, has more back and forth connections than the whole Internet did in the nineties.
Speaker 2: Exactly, exactly. In fact, was fun.
Speaker 3: There was an announcement yesterday and videos new vera Rubin and you looked at I mean I sort of laughed when I looked at the photo of the launch because you're staring at this thing and it was just basically this medusa of basically cables and connectors behind all of that, you know, literally probably miles of AMFONYL cables.
Speaker 2: Was of course some graphics processing.
Speaker 3: Units, but what they're having to do is connect all that stuff back together. And so this ties to the point around wafer scale, which is, if you are going to build something starting from scratch, not using platforms that already exist, not relying on CPUs or GPUs or ARM architectures, and you were to say, what would you build that's really designed for these kinds of workloads?
Speaker 2: You build what we built at Cerebras.
Speaker 3: And that's the journey that we started in twenty fifteen, and really it's born of this notion of big, big workloads deserve custom purpose built silicon, and that has been really the story of every silicon wave over the last five decades.
Speaker 1: And talk about this concept of wafers scale because I can. I mean, if you look at the Cerebras chip, it's fifty times bigger than an Nvidia GPU. And as you mentioned with with Jensen holding up with verrub and it is this kind of like, you know, sort of different silicon chips connected together with cables and stuff, whereas your chip is is kind of a single huge piece of silicon. Why do they do that and why do you keep it as a single piece.
Speaker 3: The way to think about sort of silicon, MANUF is it's grown as you started this conversation with sand, you know, it's grown from sand into single crystalline columns, and then those columns are sliced very thinly that is then cut to basically turn it into a nine inch roughly nine inch square, and that nine inch square has trillions of transistors on it. And the way Nvidia or ARM or others build their chips is they might start with a twelve in wafer, but then they cut it. They cut that wafer into many smaller components that are, as you said, sort of fifty or fifty eight times smaller than ours, and then they cut it and then in many cases they're actually literally putting them back together. And you ask a question, which is why cut it? That's exactly the question that we asked ourselves, which is you shouldn't cut it.
Speaker 2: You should keep it all together.
Speaker 3: Because as soon as you as soon as you take communications from a chip off of the chip. So once once a bit needs to move from one chip to another, you basically have other components involved, and everything you add as you would imagine with any sytem them. As soon as you add another component between two pieces of silicon, you've slowed it down, You've created new constraints. And so the big idea here is don't do any of that. I'm sure you're familiar. I mean, Elon, you know he's working on other stuff in this domain, but you know he has this, this sort of rule of thumb. When you work at SpaceX or one of his companies, you hear this all the time, which is the best part is no part. And the point of that is you'd like to reduce all of your components down to their simplest sort of platonic ideal form.
Speaker 2: And that is exactly what.
Speaker 3: We decided to do with Cerebus, which is, instead of taking a twelve inch column of silicon, slicing it into hundreds of smaller pieces, then putting those on a motherboard and reconnecting them.
Speaker 2: With copper wires or copper traces.
Speaker 3: Let's keep it all on one piece so that the data can move as fast as possible throughout that single piece of silicon, and we'll get a thousand x improvement in performance. And that's from a memory bandwidth perspective. That's exactly what we delivered, and so's I were now call it roughly fifteen in some cases even more than that times faster than any other inference platform on the planet.
Speaker 1: What do you think the biggest misconception is about the quote unquote chip craze today.
Speaker 3: I would say the biggest misconception is how hard it is to build a new platform to yield those systems, and the yield it's basically for everyone you make, how many of those can you use? And that that is sort of one of those fundamental drivers in the semiconductor industry. But in the case of large semiconductor systems powering it so you know, most of these systems are now taking tens of kilowatts. Back when I was building startups a couple decades ago, you know, a rack was somewhere on the other of two to three kilowatts. We now have racks that are sixty kilowatts, and so you're trying to power this system now. Of course, once you're powering it. Guess what else you have to do. You have to cool it. You have to get that all the all the heat out of that system. And then of course, once if that's that's now working, now you're going to program this thing that has you know, two and a half trillion trans and then get you know, modern models to work on that and get them up and running in a matter of days or weeks instead of months or years. And so you're compounding many, many hard problems. And in most businesses, when you compound hard problems, what comes out the other end often doesn't work. And so, you know, the single greatest challenge really is can you actually make this thing at scale?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think I think you said somewhere, you know, I sometimes joke that Cerebras was five startups in one. You've sold wafer scale, great nive power system, cool it, package it, deploy code onto it, integrated with an existing frameworks, get into data centers. Each one of those challenges was quite literally its own company. So I mean, let's go back to twenty fifteen. I mean, you had this insight, you know, every new wave of computing demands and new type of silicon right and We talked about the computing of the eighties, one type of chips and the GPUs for gaming, which ended up by sort of accident essentially powering the air revolution, the arm chips that power cell phones, and then these these new chips that cerebreast design for data centers. Essentially exactly who were you in twenty fifteen, and we've got the kind of we've got the global context, the industry context, what's the what was the Steve context? And what made you? I mean nowadays twenty twenty six. When we think about venture capital and investing, you know, we often think about like momentum based, like how do I get into anthropic before it goes public right? Versus like how do I make a ten year plus bet on something which which you know is not only requires all these macro things to break my way, but also has like just layer upon layer, up on layer of complexity. And you know, these these all these different elements we talked about in terms of cooling and packaging and integration. What what made you want to do this? And how much of your career, shall we say, or your capital, your financial capital, your relation capital did you stake on this?
Speaker 3: I love that, Yeah, so I mean the quick bounce on me is you know, I'm trained as a roboticist. I lived for the first ten years of my career at the intersection of electrical and mechanical systems. I worked at a company called Ideo, designing products.
Speaker 2: Some of those.
Speaker 3: Products brought those two worlds together as well as sort of the design world, sort of really answering the question of once you've solved those hard technical problems at inter section of electrical and mechanical systems, does anyone actually care? Do people love it and want it? So I spent really a decade building products. Came to Foundation actually as an entrepreneur in residence on the path to starting another company. And this is now in the spring of two thousand and seven. And so I'm a builder by nature, if I would say, sort of more of an accidental venture capitalist than one who sort of, you know, thought to do this from when I was a teenager. I didn't I literally didn't know the term venture capital until I moved to Silicon Valley back in the mid nineteen nineties. And the specific context and I love the question around sort of what was required to get an investment like this.
Speaker 2: Approved as it were, more than a decade ago.
Speaker 3: The answer to that question is is really sort of central to how we work at Foundation Capital, which is we go really deep in opportunity space, and we're not trying to be everything to everyone, and when we go deep, we try to kind of build what we call our points of view, a sense of what would need to be true for us to be excited about a new investment in this area. What are the attributes of the founders that would make them successful or not, What is the timing of the market opportunity, because of course many venture capital investments, you know, have great ideas, but are maybe a decade too early or in some cases multiple dedcades too early. And so for me, I had been studying this space, and I'd actually met Andrew Feldman and his co founder Gary Back no joke, in October of two thousand and seven, seven years before we really re engaged around the opportunity at Cerebras, and they were actually at that time just starting their prior company, a company called c Micro, which was kind of also in the kind of data center think sort of warehouse scale computing concept, and we didn't actually invest in that company. I hit it off with them and they were acquired by AMD maybe five years later, and a couple of years into that, I reached back out to Andrew and I could tell immediately, I mean, I had this intuition going into the conversation that he was not going to stay long for AMD. He had another startup in him. And so we basically, over the course of the next two years riffed on a whole bunch of ideas that at that time were kind of around that big data concept that you and I talked about earlier, and we were looking at a whole bunch of companies were using Andrew as a sounding board for the opportunity space. And then he and Gary and then Sean and then Michael and JP started to basically converge on this idea around Hey, wait a minute, there's this new workload, and this new workload we got to pay attention to, and this new workload while as you said, sort of NVIDIA is a bit of a happy accident that it happens to be better than CPU's, but it's not what you build. And so the you know, these five founders basically set out to go build something that was purpose built, and I had this prepared mind I'd been working with Andrew on kind of a range of concepts for two years. So when he finally said this is now kind of March timeframe of twenty sixteen, it's like, I think we're ready. I told him, I said, look, we want to be your first term sheet and so we It was no joke on April first, so April Fool's Day, I said, Andrew, you know, we presented it with an offer, and over the course of the next few weeks we basically converged on that initial financing, which we which we did in partnership with Eric at Benchmark and Pierre and Leora at Eclipse, And yeah, that was the beginning of a cerebras back in May of twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: What was the closest moment between twenty sixteen and ringing the bet On in the New York Sulck Exchange to failure?
Speaker 3: Oh many, We had many, so many white knuckle moments. We didn't ship the first product for three and a half years from that May twenty sixteen. I'd say there were lots of challenges around getting that first semiconductor system to work. You know, we'd spent multiple millions building the first one and no joke. The very first system we plugged it in and it blew up. I mean we joke about like we call those thermal events because you never want to tell your landlord you've.
Speaker 2: Had a fire. But we had an event.
Speaker 3: We had a small thermal event around our first system. And what you're trusting in those cases is, wow, that was very expensive. That one system you could you could as certain cost you know, millions of dollars with all the R and D that was invested in it. And then you've got to just trust that we're going to come back, you know, the next day and and dig through what went wrong and figure it out.
Speaker 2: And and we did. And that team is just.
Speaker 3: Born of so much grit around sort of getting a system that again there were no there were no playbooks for this. TSMC had never done anything like what we were asking them to do. And then the other piece I would say that was a very scary moment was when we realized, you know, we were initially actually going to build an air cold system because every other system in the data center, you know, including all the GPU systems, were all air cooled, and we realized to make our system work, we would need to do we'd need to water cool it, and there was lots of questions around how that would work. APR kind of head of mechanical engineering and system design, had never done this.
Speaker 2: He kind of admended that to me later. And you know, keap.
Speaker 3: Dissipation at that scale is a really hard problem. And so we we built a lot of prototypes. We actually ended up having to bring in several consultants and I spent you know, probably you know it was not hundreds of hours, but you know up in that range working with the team on how do we actually solve this really really hard problems because you'd come out of the lab some days thinking, guys, we might just be trying to beat the laws of physics, which is never never a good idea.
Speaker 1: So you, in a sense you had all of these pod engineering problems and now engineering problems. Some of them are solved, but no doubt are new ones. But also of course you have you know, you have competition within Vidia. Is that is that essentially? I mean, how does the business look today? Is it? Is it a pitch battle of Nvidia?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Is that the central kind of business challenge?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean they are the eight hundred bound guerilla no question, and we are the insurgent and they've built you know, they've built an extraordinary category. When when Nvidia moved into the data center space, which was kind of in the mid twenty tens and it's now you know, it's more than half of their business, and so they are definitely you know there, they are the player that we most directly get compared with, which I'm fine with. And they have a different architecture and you know, we fundamentally believe we're doing we're doing things differently for again back to the sort of you know, initial premise here, because we think this workload deserves its own silicon.
Speaker 1: So so displacing them with clients, I guess is one challenge on the on the on the demand side, shall we say, what about on the supply side? I mean you mentioned that TSMC actually you know, fabricate these these chips for you guys, Are you like literally fighting of a factory flaw space in Taiwan with Nvidia to to to see which orders for chips they'll fulfill faster? I mean, how do you how do you navigate that relationship?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So TSMC has been an extraordinary partner to us, and they are to really everyone in the industry. And what I appreciate most about them, and I think what they are uniquely well suited to doing is working on new ideas even before the market is sort of clearly there for them. And they have been a great partner to us in that regard, because again, if you're looking at Cerebras back in twenty sixteen and your TSMC and you've got you know, customers like Video or Apple and many many others of scale that are you know, would dwarf anything that we could ask of them. For certainly several years, they had no business in working with us, and yet they know that and they've proven this out time and time again that by working with startups on hard problems, they get better. And so you really want you want partners like that. You want first customers that are like that, that help you make your systems better, that help you debug them, help you find problems that you wouldn't have and resolve those problems you you wouldn't have otherwise.
Speaker 2: And so they've been a great partner to us.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think everyone in the world is asking more of TSMC. They're having to make you know, investments and you know, as is ASML and that the companies that make their machines are also in high demand. And I think the entire world is basically looking at this market opportunity in front of us and saying, well, what is the market for intelligence?
Speaker 2: It's unbounded, right like you you.
Speaker 3: Know, these are trillion dollar markets today that could be one hundred trillion dollar markets in the future. And so you know, working on for them, working on the fundamental technology underlying that wave that intelligence.
Speaker 2: They're in high demand, no question. But they've been great, great partners.
Speaker 4: To us.
Speaker 1: On the demands side. As I will send it. In twenty twenty five, between eighteen ninety percent of the revenues came from setting chips to to UAE based entities g foot two and the Muhammad Benzai a University of Artificial Intelligence. I guess, first question what do they use those chips for? And second question is how do you How are you diversifying the business and are you focus on winning market share from in video or just maintaining your position As you put it, the kind of the market for intelligence grows.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I mean we got started really selling systems to great partners early in the life cycle of a company. We had partners with National Labs, we had pharmaceutical companies, we had energy companies working with US buying systems, and that was primarily in the training days of.
Speaker 2: Three versus History. In twenty twenty four, we launched our inference offering.
Speaker 3: We built it, we kind of had a board meeting, realized that as everyone was seeing, inference workloads were growing very very quickly, beginning to sort of really dwarf the training workloads, and so we ourselves realized that our architecture, our way for scale engine was going to be really appropriate for that. So we basically rotated towards an inference offering, and as part of that, we developed a partnership with G forty two, which is the entity you just described, and they have been purchasing our systems and working with our cloud infrastructure for their customers. So think of them as sort of the AWS for the Middle East, and they have been able to really work closely with their own customers as well as some of our customers. In fact, we have actually put a number of our customer workloads back onto those systems that we that we put in place now a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: And then your question around diversification.
Speaker 3: So earlier this year we announced our deal with open ai, which is more than a twenty billion dollar multi year deal to build seven hundred and fifty megawatts of compute and we were after announcing that we were only six weeks to launching our first model with them. We love working with them. I mean it's so great to see too super high performance teams focused on, you know, making the fastest inference on the planet, which is which is what we launched and what we have continued to prove out with you know, lots more to come there. So open aye is probably the single largest sort of counterweight to the question of you know, kind of customer concentration. And then back in March of this year, we also announced our partnership with AWS. So I think what you'll see is over the coming quarters is you know, us scaling those deployments with those customers. And then there's many many more that are you know, kind of wanting to work with us. And I think back in the early two thousands, there are lots of companies building search products, and Google happened to have the best one. It was also one that was just ruthlessly focused on speed. In fact, you remember the early days of Google, they would tell you how many milliseconds it took to return the you know, to return the query. And they did that because a it was it was important to users. But if they if they weren't fast, you know, their users were going to go do other things. And so performance and inference is absolutely fundamental. And so we while while we might only be i'll call it sort of ten or fifteen percent of the market today in terms of who wants to have high performance, we think one hundred percent of the market towards most towards high performance over time.
Speaker 1: Obviously G forty two's connections with with with China cause some consternation in the US, and I believe that was part of the reason why this rebrass IPO was originally delayed. So I'm curious for your kind of take on on on the geopolitics of all this. And also, I mean, you are a you know, a sort of roboticist and an IDEO guy based in Silicon Valley with like a real passion of engineering, and all of a sudden you're you know, on the board and the lead investor in this in this company that's in the middle of you know, politics and geopolitics, how do you navigate that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we I mean we see these you know, these markets. Market again for intelligence is infinite, is unbounded, and it's coming from everywhere in the world.
Speaker 2: And and I.
Speaker 3: Would also assert that the you know, the geopolitics of the last four or five years have only made those international parties more to get access to alternative systems, alternative technologies than just the sort of you know, you know, kind of think of it as the traditional hyper scalers or Nvidia for that matter. I mean, we have prospective customers in Europe and they're desperately seeking any alternative to purchasing more in video gear. And so there's I think a really sort of a pull around the world for alternatives that are coming from parties who don't feel like they've they've got eighty.
Speaker 2: Or eighty five percent market share.
Speaker 1: Why because if fear that they're basically not going to get they're not going to be a big enough client to get preferential.
Speaker 2: Get the allocations they are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's you know, these are you know, you're you're you're seeing companies have to and and sovereign governments have to come to here in Silicon Valley and I mean Jensen's made more than a few trips to the Middle East over the last few years. But you know before that they were all coming here to kiss the ring and get allocation.
Speaker 1: Well knows you about the open a ideal. Obviously huge announcement a few guys, and then the market was sort of questioning, oh, is it going to be more expensive than they thought to actually service this deal which is not a not a problem, which is you know, confined to cerebras. I know, Google it getting beaten up for the kind of cost of deployment of that cloud computing. But how do you think about that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we it was interesting because when you know, we did the IPO roadshow, we shared all of that in conversations as well as in the S one, and you know, there was this question mostly in my sense was it was folks either not reading or perhaps misunderstanding, or just looking for ways to sort of throw bricks.
Speaker 2: At young companies.
Speaker 3: So we basically had a home run up and down the P and L beat really every metric. And the question that folks were raising was around gross margin, which was off by I think ten or fifteen percent, and that was entirely because we were renting back capacity over the next few quarters from G forty two, which is the thing we talked about earlier. So we had you know, they had deployed systems, we had customers who wanted more, and so we ultimately, I mean, we put those systems in place, and then we've developed an agreement with them which was, hey, can we rent back that capacity for these customers, which they were they were happy to do, and you know, we had to take a gross margin hit in the in the near term for that. So this was not a surprise for any of our institutional investors. But you know, folks are looking for, you know, whatever might be a crack in the story for your first earnings call.
Speaker 2: But yeah, this was this was a big nothing burger in my mind.
Speaker 1: And what about I mean, how do you look at the competitive dynamics beyond Nvidia obviously, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Meta all now rushing into the space of chip design and and and you know for their specialized use cases in many case which I mentioned on how computeeing. How do you look at what they're doing, are you worried about it? And how do you maintain the edge?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I think broadly the way you think about these things is you know, large markets like this, and as we said, these are the mother of all markets, you're never going to have them all to yourself. You know. If you're right about these things, they're going to attract competition. That's just basics and you know economics. And so what we observe is every one of the hyperscalers has already developed or is it you know, in development on their own silicon. I mean, obviously Google's had their TPUs in place. They're on their fourth or fifth generation now, the Trainium and Infernia platform at AWS, and again we're in partnership with AWS. Fact you know, we've we've shared some of the ways in which we're working together on a very novel disaggregated solution where we can kind of get the best of their hardware and the best of our hardware, which is where I think it will be really interesting things to sort of.
Speaker 2: See that play forward.
Speaker 3: Facebook of course, has been talking about their own platform to build their own silicon, which you know they've been doing in partnership with Broadcom for some time. And so you know, we see this as any large market is going to attract multiple players, and what I actually really appreciate about it is everyone's at least looking at their workloads and saying, what is it that we should build here that's well suited to us, And what we're building at THREEBRUS is very well suited these inference workloads. It's also well suited to training, and it's you know, it's something that took as I said, you know, it took us multiple years in three generations before it really felt like we had a system that was really singing. And most of the other insurgents, you know, are still telling you what's about to ship you know whatever in the fall or in Q one of.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 3: But we, you know, we have systems out in the wild, and we're scaling dramatically, and we're also working on our next generation systems, which are which are super exciting.
Speaker 2: So that's how I think about it.
Speaker 3: I think there's going to be many many more, could be more upstarts. You know this, this this market is massive, and so we should assume there's gonna be many, many winners.
Speaker 1: So you have this claim now, which which all vcs would love to be able to make. That you essentially soar around the corner, right, and so that must be a fun moment for you. And I'm curious about two things. One is, you know, ten years ago you saw this kind of very strong demand see all for you big data processing what became AI workloads and invested in and built Cerebrass entergy for thease opportunity. What are you seeing now ten years into the future in terms of demand signals that you're investing in, either through your fund or as part of Cerebress.
Speaker 3: Well, when I think about what today we're excited about, I mean what you see in our industry. I think in venture capital and tech more broadly, and you've seen this as much.
Speaker 2: As I have.
Speaker 3: Is every wave, every platform, new platform technology, whether you know we were talking about sort of the X eighty six platform or GPUs or mobile and now AI. There's a sort of quite roughly a decade of building out the infrastructure and then there's multiple decades of building out the application layer on top of it. And so there's no question and we're spending you know, we more than one hundred companies broadly, and that you describe as sort of AIRAI native, you know, across our portfolio where a thirty one year old venture firm we've been investing in AI really sort of the sort of fundamentals of it since two thousand and eight two thousand and nine time frame, and so we look at this next waves as involving a lot of innovation at the application layer.
Speaker 2: Now what's tricky about this, as I'm.
Speaker 3: Sure you're aware of as well, is well which parts of those application layer are going to get completely commoditized by perhaps even the fundamental foundation models that you're building on top of. And so we look for the sort of thin, sort of proprietary data loops, you know, ways in which there's a data flywheel where with every use of the product, you know, your insight around your customer and your value proposition gets deeper and richer. And we look for sort of really interesting ways in which things that were today delivered as a service, oftentimes literally as maybe it's a software service, maybe it's a human service, maybe it's labor, and we look for ways that that is going to be automated over time. And so we've made you know, a number of really interesting investments in this area. And then when it comes to sort of AI infrastructure, I mean we all will have to kind of like point to the you know, the the analogies to how are you know natural systems work, whether it's a human brain or not. But you know, these systems that we're building are far less sample efficient than the way natural systems work.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: You know, if you've got a twenty whatt brain operating at two hundred hertz and it can do, you know, sample efficiency is much much higher than what is used to train a very intelligent next generation frontier model.
Speaker 1: Some of thefsionist means that you can learn from fewer examples.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so I think there's going to be some really interesting work in this area that then allows us to build models that are more efficient both from an.
Speaker 2: Energy perspective but from a data perspective.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'm very excited about, you know, some of the work that's being done in this domain.
Speaker 1: Steve has outa thank you, thanks so much, as it's just so great to talk with you for tech stuff. I'm Osvoloshin. This episode was produced by Eliza Dennis. It was executive produced by me and Julian Nutta for Kaleidoscope and Katrian norvelve iHeart Podcasts. Jack Qinsley mixed this episode and Kyle Murdoch wrote Olph theme song,