Speaker 1: I mean, I'll play into it. I say, I used to rake when I was a little kid, but I was a po.
Speaker 2: I was a PO come high school, So I don't know if that really counts for a whole lot.
Speaker 3: But as closed with Mason Miller with us right now, Mason, great to have you back on foul territory. How's life right now with the A's, I mean, just to put it simply to start the conversation, hello to you and thanks for swinging by. You know, this team in the last couple of years hasn't been great, and now I mean you're in at least wildcard contention, if not division contention.
Speaker 4: I know it's early in the season.
Speaker 3: Is it fun to be involved, you know, on the now positive side of the rebuild?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, good morning guys. Appreciate you having me as always.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but getting to some competitive baseball is obviously a nice change of events for us. I think we were kind of there last year, but after the first half you don't really get to look at the schedule or look at this the standings and kind of see see your team up there kind of in a couple of games out. You know, it's early, so we're not necessarily focused on that. We're just focused on competitive baseball, bringing our best and trying to be consistent in each game each series.
Speaker 5: Does it feel different?
Speaker 6: Are the conversations different than it was when you know, you guys are already kind of dug a hole for yourself last year and then you started to improve, and it's like, you know, we see it coming. But now you start the season out you were hovering above five hundred.
Speaker 5: Now you're bouncing right in there.
Speaker 6: Are the conversations different in the clubhouse with you guys or in the bullpens that you spend a lot of time out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the expectations are certainly different. You know, you have high expectations of yourself and of your teammates always, but you know there's there's a ceiling uncertain times, and you know we're not blind to that. But I think just the goals shift a little bit, and the goals in the previous couple of seasons are a little different than this year. You know, after the end of last year, the second half that we played, that was kind of our coming out to everybody that that were a competitive team with some good players. And I think we knew that before everybody else did. So you know, now that we're at this point, we kind of knew that we had this talent, and I think that we can, you know, play even higher above that. And we have a tough schedule this month, but I think it'll be be a good test for us and kind of put up, shut up type type times.
Speaker 7: I love that, and I think you know, here, guys say, especially earlier in the year, you know, these games don't matter. They matter, every single game matters, and I think that put up or shut up time. I absolutely love that. So for me, my question, you talk about competing, you're talking about a different team. Who's who's the leader right now? Who's that guy in the clubhouse that everybody looks for?
Speaker 4: Is it you?
Speaker 7: Is there a guy that you know everybody kind of leans on, or is the team just know what they're doing. They come to the ballpark and sad, everybody's accountable. You know, let's get after it and.
Speaker 2: We have an awesome mix of guys. Signing Sevy this year has been been huge for us. He's a phenomenal leader, phenomenal person, and he's been really a big difference maker for the locker room.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: But we got a young group with you know, a couple veteran guys in there too, but just a bunch of guys that you know, come to the field excited to see each other, excited to hang out, excited to work. So you know, having guys like Rooke and Log at extensions is awesome. Guys kind of look to them obviously, but I think I think Rooke Sevy are probably two of our biggest guys, and you know, they're doing a phenomenal job. We're kind of regardless of how you know, their games go, and just being the kind of calming presence for the team. And sometimes it's reminding you the guys that we got another one tomorrow. You know, like after last night, it's easy to easy to let them sit with you a little bit, but you know we're going to turn the page and you know, come play.
Speaker 1: A competitive series and try to take the series here in San Francisco.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you got a good point too. I'm looking the last three series.
Speaker 3: I mean Mariners, who at that time were playing really really well. They were kind of right in the midst of their hot streak, and the Yankees and then I know, you just finish up the series in La and yet the team's still twenty two and twenty two two games away from first place in the AL West. So I just want to dial in on the Dodgers series for a moment. How was that to experience, because you know, they've kind of got this international vibe to them with the way that they've been able to pick up some of the top Japanese talent in the sport. Ya Momoto, i know, pitched in that game a couple of days ago. Otani put on a show in this series too, So how was that for you to witness? Obviously you want to win the series, you guys picked up one game in it, but was it cool to actually experience what's going on there? Because I do feel like we're going to look back at this time at some point and forget the wins and losses, but just how much talent we've been seeing from Japan come over to the United States and a lot of those players happen to be on the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, I mean you have a lot of respect for good players, you know, no matter who they're playing for, and to see that many good players is kind of established on one team, and they obviously have a lot of injuries that's going on there too, But see the lineup that they run out every night is you know, they're one of the one of the team's perennial teams and will be for a while.
Speaker 1: But just seeing seeing a young guy like.
Speaker 2: Kim taking the at bats he's taken, he got his first home run, I mean, he's a solid player, and Rushing made his debut too. But just just the group that they have, it seems like they have a lot of fun playing and they have an awesome atmosphere, awesome stadium and fan base to play in front of them. But that's that's kind of what makes you know, being on the road and going to a place like that fun is you know, kind of they're the measuring stick of the league right now. So you know we didn't We got the first game eleven to one and then kind of rolled over the next two. But you know, we know we can beat teams like that, and it's just a matter of being consistent.
Speaker 6: Who's the best team you've seen this year? You just left l A. I'm not saying it's a Dodgers and say who is the best team? And you're not. You're not saying all they're better than the age. It's just who had Who have you been the most impressed with.
Speaker 2: I think the Cubs was probably, I mean it was early, but their lineup was firing, and their pitching has been been pretty solid too, So I think I think as far as overall impression, I think that made the biggest one.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 7: My question to you, Mason. I mean you've talked about, you know, your teammates. I want to talk a little bit about you as well. You know you got the electric arm. Talk about your process. Have you always had that electric arm? Is it something you've had to work on over the years. I mean, talk a little bit about maybe you were a good hitter, I mean did you hit back in the day. Talk about how you were as a hitter, and then how you absolutely developed this cannon of an arm.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'll play into it. I say, I used to rake when I was a little kid, but I was a po I was a po come high school. So I don't know if that really counts for a whole lot, but.
Speaker 7: No, it does on this show. It does for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah I think, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I was playing I was playing short and bat and third when I was twelve, so Yep, I'll hang that out there. But I think I think I've always had a smooth, smooth arm and thrown harder than most guys from my age. But getting past college and into the pros and being able to sustain this elite level of velocity, I think is a god given gift that's coupled with work ethic and you know, the things I do to take care of my arm, my shoulder and my body, and you know, putting myself in a position that I'm able to go out there and compete on a day to day basis. I think at the end of the day, that's what's most important. As exciting as it is, the availability is the most important thing.
Speaker 3: Hey, I f t fam Hello Fresh as America's number one meal kit cam because we're busy and we would like all of the ingredients to cook up something nice and make us look like elite chefs at home.
Speaker 2: You know what I do.
Speaker 8: I've got kids in basketball, I've got soccer, I've got best I've got baseball, And when they get home, there's a Fresh and they think, oh dad, he's so great.
Speaker 5: Well, no, it's not me. It's Hello Fresh.
Speaker 8: It's nutritious, it's packed full of good nutrients. The kids have good energy and they look at me like I'm the greatest dad in the world. So make sure you go grab that Hello Fresh, because you know what is doing my family all.
Speaker 3: The good cookup dishes like chicken dijon and pecon crusted trout, over one hundred seasonal snacks, sides and treats as well. Feel great with meals that fit your spring schedule and make the season even more delicious. Go to HelloFresh dot com slash ft ten FM now to get ten free meals with a free item for life one per box with active subscription. Free meals applied to discount on first box new subscribers only, varies by plan. So, Mason, I want to ask you about the mental side, and I've got you a specific way to approach this because yesterday we just got into a really good, in depth conversation with Max Monty on the show about hitters meetings and how everybody has to come prepared with actual homework on what their approach is that night against the pitcher, then they talk it out, et cetera. So he gave us, you know, fifteen really good minutes on how that all goes down some of the language that's used, which many people if they're just listening in, would not understand, right, like the baseball terminology that they're using. So how does it work on the pitching side, Like what do you do? Are you looking to see what pocket you're going against, you know, or are you much more relying on your catcher and obviously you know, looking at locations and pitches and stuff like that, or are you kind of dialing into a player by player basis of your preparation against teams?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I have honestly a pretty unique outlook on it since I used to start and that preparation is a lot different being a dot. You'll have to get a guy three times maybe during an outing. But you know, now speaking as a reliever, you know, we have a reliever's meeting before to start every series, kind of go through the lineup, go through you know, who's a runner, tendencies, things like that, and the kind of just talk about where guys missus, whether it's you know, heaters up, heaters away, what lanes you know in or out is better up and down? Kind of just giving guys an idea of you know, the safe zones to go or the you know, more optimal places to be. Obviously, there's certain hitters like Otani where it's like, hey, the whole box is red, don't you know, you don't don't want to give them anything too good, But at the same time, you don't want to just put them on base every time. So it's just kind of about giving guys the keys to, you know, their stuff. Everybody's stuff's different. You know, my my holes or my zones that I'm going to are going to be a lot different than you know, a guy that can you know, has a good change up or cutter, curveball, things like that I don't do. So it's kind of just the same way that you know, you teach a sixth grade class and you got kids that are very smart and kids that very you know, from lower levels to middle levels everything in between. Like everybody's in a different spot. But it's like, how do you get it to a point where you're meeting everybody's needs. So I think for us eight relievers, you've got a couple guys that they're cutters, a couple guys that throw good changeups, sinkers, et cetera. So just kind of hit each one of those throughout the meeting. And then I honestly think that it's a little bit on the player too, that you know, you know yourself best, and the way that you're going to be able to get the guy out, you kind of have to be able to go and look at the numbers and figure that stuff out for yourself. So I kind of just look at where guy's damages, you know, since I'll be pitching and the most important part of the game most of the time, you know, I want to know where the guy historically has done his damage and where I can go to get swing and miss, you know, if I need it. So that's kind of how I approach it. And you know, I think you're always learning to You got different resources available to you, you know, heat maps, weighted averages, all this different stuff where it can get kind of consuming at times. But I think the sooner you find something that works for you and just have a process, I think that's the best.
Speaker 1: Way to do it. Mason.
Speaker 5: I want you to look at me.
Speaker 6: I want you to look at me in the eyes, and next time you guys have a scatting report meeting, I want you to be like cut or Slider, probably throw one hundred and three. I'm a blow some cheese by these nerds. That's what you need to say in your meeting, because I know that's what's going on in your head. You're like, I am this good. But you're right. If you take everything that they're talking about and you can start executing it, it takes you to the next level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, I mean I do. I do approach that that way. You know, some guys it's you know, give me a heater until they put a good swing on that. But I kind of the last couple of weeks struggled a little bit with my slider command and saw that in Miami and that ultimately led to the Grand Slam from Stours. But it's kind of like when I do guys a favor and don't throw anything else competitively close to the zone and they can just gear up for the heater and you know, I gotta throw it. I gotta throw it in the zone at some points. So just giving them a chance in that sense, you know, if I'm able to mix my stuff, be in the zone and expand the zone and then really start throwing those those fastballs where it's like I'm coming and throwing this fastball by you.
Speaker 1: That's that's what I'm at my best.
Speaker 6: It's called a speedball. You throw a speedball, so I'm gonna throw fastball as you throw a speedball. Is there somebody you watch, Like, let's say you're facing the Dodgers and your lane is you know, it's not just a ninth inning or whatever, it's it's one, two three in that lineup? Do you do you queue up on the true media on your scattering report page?
Speaker 5: Do you queue up a certain picture?
Speaker 6: Because I know hitters would do that, Like I would never look at a you know, how somebody faces Prince Field or I'm not a left handed, power hitting you know monster. I would look up other backup catchers that don't play much that hit right handed. How a pitcher attacks them. Do you look up a certain pitcher and you go, if this guy attacks them this way?
Speaker 5: I think I can too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's that's an awesome way to do it. You know, it's a lot of great pitchers in the league. And for me, if I'm going to look at fastball swing and miss and if it's you know, I could be sinkers. Obviously, you can filter it to just four seams. But that there's a huge variance between a ninety two mount Our fastball and one hundred mount Our fastball, So I usually filter it to like ninety seven and above, and guys that I'll see a lot of, or you know, Surez for the Padres Hellslie for the Cardinals, Chapman obviously too, and kind of you know you'll watch it, but I you know, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think I'm as fastball heavy, or my fastball isn't.
Speaker 2: Necessarily quite as dominant as a guy like Sworez, where he's able to throw it eighty eighty five percent of the time and still generate the swinging mess that he has.
Speaker 1: I think ultimately at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: You watch it like if I execute my fastball, you know I can get this guy out and no problem. You know, it's watching guys like that that just their execution is so good, you know, at the top, top of the rail, in and out, that's just that's the roadmap, you know, just get to the top and work it in and out.
Speaker 3: Hey, last one Mason, whatever the scouting report was for Johnny Pareda against Shoheo Tani.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know if anyone.
Speaker 3: Can replicate the pitch, then getting the ball authenticated the whole deal. So what was that like to witness and what did the guys say to him afterward?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean quite quiet clubhouse after a nineteen to two loss, for sure, But you know, you kind of I walked past Johnny and I gave him a little uh. You know, if I knew that, all I had to do was throw sixty four miles an hour and then go hard up at the end.
Speaker 1: You know, the whole league should have been doing this for a while, right.
Speaker 2: It's not that hard as a Johnny and he just laughed. It's his third strikeout.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: It's unfortunate that he's had to be in as many games as he has, but he said he wants to get up to above ninety, above ninety miles an hour. I mean, I think his pitching career this will be the highlight. I don't really care what else he does, but he'll have that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think you could top that what he just did.
Speaker 3: You know in yesterday's game, And trust me, show Tan he's not taking in a bat off.
Speaker 4: So he got him. He got it.
Speaker 3: I've not seen that before. That is the approach, right, Krats sixty something down and then what was that like eighty.
Speaker 1: Five eighty nine?
Speaker 4: I think eighty nine he hit.
Speaker 5: I thought he hit eighty eight or eighty nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's been pretty he's been pretty close. He's been pretty close to ninety. I think I think it was a TV eighty nine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love it. Well, dude, great to catch up. Good luck against the Giants here coming up, and then we'll get you again in a few weeks.
Speaker 1: All right, awesome, guys, Good to talk to you as always.
Speaker 4: Good stuff there. I mean, I'm enjoying these interviews Kratz.
Speaker 3: I think this week we took a turn here where we got a little baseball y. But you know, I'm a nerd, so I like to hear this stuff, and I know from the fan perspective, maybe for you guys, you dealt with it for a long time and it just seems like, oh whatever, we're sitting in a meeting. Like for me in my baseball career covering the game, the coolest parts are, say, the manager's office conversations that I have before I call a game, right and just hearing what they're talking about right before the game begins. So having this with Mason and hearing how he's watching other flamethrowers and how they attack people versus also hearing what months he does yesterday with his hitters is pretty cool.
Speaker 6: It's how you get it's how you get to the next level of your ability. Not necessarily that Mason Miller is going to be any better than an All Star or anything like that. He's trying to figure out the little things that it's going to get him to be the best he can be. I guess era is a little high, but he's a closer who cares about his era. But just the language. If you're picking up things, he said top rail. Max Munsey was talking about how pitches are planing out. He was talking about how stop throwing the cutter yesterday because show hey hit the dinger. Like this is all conversations that happened throughout the game. It's not just oh baseball, bat, go hit that John, No, it's there's a lot. There's a lot of conversation, and it's almost like another language.
Speaker 5: Max said it yesterday.
Speaker 6: It's another language, And to me, that's what I think our show can bring to fans if they pay attention. You're not getting this anywhere else, because it's like instant access from these guys who are in it day in and day.
Speaker 5: Out, agreed on.
Speaker 7: I got nothing else to add that out when he's right on every little thing.
Speaker 3: So and they like to hear from you guys too, obviously, like I can tee up some things, but then you guys can ask.
Speaker 4: The follow ups that I just don't know about it, so it helps. Thanks guys, thanks for helping me out. It does make a difference.