Speaker 1: I went to two concerts in three days.
Speaker 2: Oh god, that sounds o me left your house twice.
Speaker 1: I left my house twice in one weekend, both times getting back home after midnight and then waking up at five point thirty in the morning to do radiation.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: But it was so worth it because I got to see Sabrina Carpenter's Short and Sweet tour, which I the her La shows were how she ended the tour, so I couldn't believe that I wait until the very end. I actually all of October, I kept thinking, if there's any time I have to take off and fly to somewhere else in the country and see the show early, I'm going to try to see the show early. And it just didn't work out that way with everything we have going on, really, so.
Speaker 4: I was going to say, the one thing you have in abundance is extra time, Danie, I know anything about you.
Speaker 3: You've just got like your schedules.
Speaker 1: Wide open, wide open, calendar, wide open.
Speaker 5: But the tour was so great.
Speaker 1: Sue Will's wife Susan went with me last night. I brought some other friends with me, and I brought some other girlfriends on Friday night, so we saw her at Crypto Arena, which formerly known as Staple Center. Unbelieved that this is the way. It's not the Staple Center anymore. It's not the Staple Center anymore. It's Crypto dot Com Arena.
Speaker 4: It rolls as to tom different corporations.
Speaker 1: I also, I do want you guys to know that I win the Crypto bought Staples. I was like, give me a break, I will never ever call it Crypto dot com Arena.
Speaker 5: Well, guess who flipped a switch.
Speaker 2: I remember going to a Springsteen concert there when it was first Staples and him doing a whole bit from the stage like why is this place called Staples, And he's like, I can't wait to meet mister Staples. It's like this old bit because it was so weird back there. It was one of the first to be named after a corporation. But I'm totally right now it's crypt Now it's Crypto, So look at it this way. In another month it's gonna be worth half as much.
Speaker 3: So nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 1: That'll be great, But I do the show is absolutely amazing. Next year she'll be doing a European leg of the tour. If you have not seen the show. It's really truly so beautiful. The set is gorgeous. She does these very cool vignettes. You know, writer, you got to know Sabrina very well. You know, she's an incredible storyteller, she's a great actor. Nothing with her is like, oh yeah, we'll just do the very basic pop star thing. Like everything is well thought out and it's just so well done.
Speaker 5: I absolutely loved it.
Speaker 1: I you know, sobbed through the first show and then actually really got to enjoy the second show. And she is annoyed with me because I keep talking about the Forum cake.
Speaker 5: So if you've ever been in the Forum.
Speaker 1: Club, which is like the lounge as part of the Forum, No, we're not.
Speaker 2: Cool enough to have them.
Speaker 4: Now, I don't think I've ever been.
Speaker 2: Probably every time you go to before, but literally don't think it would have been in the Forum.
Speaker 1: Okay, So when artists perform there, they make a cake, a big cake with the artist's face on it. And for ten years now a little over ten years, I have known Sabrina And every time I've been to the Forum in those ten years and I see an artist, I take a picture of their cake, and every time I send it to Sabrina and I say, I can't wait for the Sabrina cake. I can't wait until someday we're eating the Sabrina cake. And so I'm gonna start crying me back. But so when I knew she was doing the Forum I was so excited about the Forum cake. I didn't even eat the cake last night. It's not about eating cake. It's about I don't even like cake. It's about the fact that this was such a milestone and to see her reach this level and to have been, you know, just knowing she would get there eventually, and continuing to take pictures. And then yesterday someone told me, she said, oh Danielle.
Speaker 5: Cares about is this stupid cake?
Speaker 6: But literally a superstar. Also, I also a gazillion records. I was nominated for Acre face is on a freaking cake. Thanks, but I've got a sheet cake with my face on it.
Speaker 1: But it really represented something to me, and I was very excited. So literally I walked into the Forum Club yesterday and I was.
Speaker 5: Like, I gotta find the cake.
Speaker 1: So out we'll post the picture of the Sabrina Carpenter Forum Cake on our Instagram for you all to see.
Speaker 4: I'll go to the next one. I want to go to her Tall tour. I think that's going to be I can't wait for that. That's the one I'm looking for.
Speaker 1: Good lucks, little short and sweet girls. We don't get very tall, we definitely get it.
Speaker 2: I want that cake. I remember working with her the first first year, you know, meeting her. She was probably twelve, she was thirteen, Yeah, she was thirteen when okay, but I came and visited. I remember the there's a photo of like, you know, because I just came and visited this the pilot and it was like, oh, I meet the new girls or whatever, and there's a photo of the two of us. And then I got to work with her and actually, you know, act with her, and I was like, oh, she's just such.
Speaker 3: A great actress.
Speaker 2: But I had no idea about the singing until I was directing the episode that was nineteen sixty three where it was like we went back in time to the sixties and at the table read, she just sang acapella. This you know, they had written lyrics, but they didn't have a song, and she sang acappella and it was like, oh that was that was perfect because I was worried, like, oh, we have to, you know, figure out a song and incorporate it. And Ray Colecord, the late great Ray colecrd uh just I met with him afterwards. I was like, so, what are we doing about this song? He's like, oh, well, I just wrote down what she sang, like the notes she sang. He's like, I'm gonna I'm gonna write the song to what she did a cappella because she was just that good and and I remember talking to her about music. I even like, I wrote her like this long Spotify list with like the reasons why I was including all these songs that I could tell. I was like, you were going to be like, I'm already you're a great actress. But like I could tell, it was like you you have this musical thing too, you can do it all. Yeah, I wonder because I remember then, like a couple of years later, she still had the playlist on her Spotify.
Speaker 3: She was really nice. There's so few of us triple threats like that out there. Yeah, you know, we got to stick together. We got to stick together support one another.
Speaker 5: Welcome to pod Meets World. I'm Danielle Fischel.
Speaker 3: I'm right strong, and I'm Wilfordell.
Speaker 1: For one hundred and fourteen episodes of television over five years. Our guest this week was one of the most iconic pop culture characters.
Speaker 5: Of the late eighties and early nineties.
Speaker 1: It would have been hard to find someone who didn't know or a boy who didn't love Winnie Cooper, the unattainable love interest for Kevin Arnold on The Wonder Years, and those who knew her in real life figured out she was just as kind, impressive, and beautiful as she was on screen. And we didn't do a ton of research into this. But she's also probably our only guest to have a mathematical theorem with her name on it.
Speaker 5: Don't worry, Blake, Senate, there's still time.
Speaker 1: Yes, she is an actual genius who outside of Hollywood, graduated UCLA with their highest honors in mathematics, and once co authored a paper titled Percolation and Gibbs states multiplicity for Pharaoh magnetic Ashkin Teller's models on Z to the second. While I genuinely have no idea what any of those words meant, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Her conclusions are ridiculous in that paper.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, is that your favorite of person?
Speaker 4: No, I just don't know how she You know, I'm all for a theorem, but I don't know where she came up with this one.
Speaker 2: This was just she was z in the second. Is that what you.
Speaker 7: Keep? You know you keep?
Speaker 3: Seriously, come on, come on, rookie mistake.
Speaker 1: She appeared in the movie Sidekicks, and was seen on TV shows like The West Wing and Big Bang Theory, and has since become a Queen of Christmas, starring in some of your favorite festive flicks, including a new one just around the corner.
Speaker 5: Please welcome to Pod meets World.
Speaker 1: We're getting by with a little help from our friend Danica McKellar.
Speaker 5: So good to see you.
Speaker 7: Good to see you too.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I'm sure a lot of our listeners are brains are exploding with a nostalgia seeing the four of us together on their screens.
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh. That cool. So good to see you, guys, So good to you.
Speaker 1: So I wanted to talk to you about the fact that is this correct that your very first job was The Twilight Zone, but your second role ever was Winnie Cooper on The Wonder Years at twelve.
Speaker 7: Sort of. I did two episodes of the Twilight Zone, and I'd done some commercials, some mashup commercials, but that was my first like theatrical like non guest dying role.
Speaker 2: Wowt pretty good one to get.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all say, yeah, what was the audition process?
Speaker 7: Like, I mean, it was kind of a last minute thing because I was I didn't have many credits to my name at all, and so they had done this search for the character. And I remember the winning Cooper was supposed to just be a guest role on the first episode.
Speaker 3: Oh come on, really, yeah.
Speaker 7: Otherwise.
Speaker 3: You gonna say, like Topanga, Wow, Oh.
Speaker 7: Is that the for you too? Yes, Oh my gosh, that's amazing. I didn't know that. Yeah. So that's the only reason that my mom left me audition for it, because at the time we were not considering anything that might disrupt our lives. Really, like that was not uh it was guest roles commercials only, no feature films, no series regulars, and so this was just the That's why I got to audition for it. That's why I was even eligible to audition for it in terms of it because I, like I said, I had no credits. So anyway, I I auditioned, bought my sister auditioned for it as well. It came down to the two of us and for this for this one time guest rule relatively small part on the first episode, if you remember, Winnie Cooper was kind of seen from afar. There wasn't like there was a kiss at the end, but there wasn't like a lot of lines. And yeah, I came down to the two of us, and I remember they Fred Savage lived in Chicago at the time, and so they'd flown him out to do like a chemistry read and so Crystal and I both did that, my sister and I and they came down to the two of us, and and then they said, well, we're giving the role to Danica, but if we get picked up for Stu, then we'd love to give a role to Crystal as well. And then during the pilot of The Wonder Years, they said, look, the network loves the chemistry between Danik and Fred and we want to offer her a series regular like if we get picked up. And so the time, like at that point, my mom had a chance to meet some of the other moms, Juanne Savage, Jane Saviano, these women who really cared about their kids being kids. They weren't stage moms, you know, So she felt comfortable with it, but she had she got me this fancy lawyer to put in a loophole because I ever wanted to not do it anymore, like you can get out because it's a seven year contract, and so she she protected me, but I never wanted to quit.
Speaker 5: So, oh my gosh.
Speaker 7: And then they did write a role for Crystal Becky Slater. She played the Bred's or Kevin's nemesis, and she did nine episodes, I think, which was cool.
Speaker 5: So what was your life on set like then as a kid.
Speaker 1: Did you go to traditional school as well or did you were you just schooled on set?
Speaker 7: I did both. I went back and forth. So I went to Harvard Westlake. Okay, first it was Westlake then and became Harvard Westlake. And I would go to school when I wasn't working, and then I'd run my school work to set when I was working. And we did it like that. It was just back and forth.
Speaker 6: It was it was.
Speaker 7: It trained me to be able to like compartmentalize my brain. So I mean just being on as you guys know, being doing school on set is like that anyway, because you're doing this scene and then you take a break for twenty minutes. Now you're doing a history test or like math concepts, go back and now this is the emotional part of the scene whatever. Like you just learned to like be here now and then be here now, and it trains you. It's funny because so the movies that I do now, these romantic comedies in the Christmas movies, first for Hamewark Channel, now for a Great American Family Channel. We shoot these movies in fourteen days. Sometimes it's fourteen or fifteen days. It's a crazy schedule, and you have to be like, Okay, I'm here doing this scene now, and then now we're doing the end of the movie, and now we're doing this little blip from like midway through the movie. And as you guys know, it just takes this kind of this focus and you have to be able to just be where you are now and completely shut out all the rest of reality so that you can do your job well. And then later Galla gets cut together and it's great.
Speaker 1: So the show was such a massive hit for ABC. It was always in the top thirty, and it won an Emmy for Best Comedy Series in nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 5: Was it difficult.
Speaker 1: For you to have a normal childhood or do you feel like you got the best of both.
Speaker 7: Worlds Alsiman, We had a very normal childhood because, for example, when we won the Emmy for Best Comedy Series, my sister and I were not there at the awards ceremony. We were on vacation with my dad because we had this vacation plan. He's a busy real estate guy. He didn't have flexibility, and so we had to either go to the Emmys or go on this camping river rafting trip thing with my dad. And we did that, and we talked about it as a family. It's like, no, this is more important. And I remember I remember being in this tiny little motel room the night before we hit the river, watching the Emmys on this like it had to have been a TV from the nineteen seventies. My dad was always very frugal, so you know, we didn't stay in like it's retain this hotel and everybody was like this old yellow little TV. And we watched The Wonderers win and we jumped up and down the bed like yay. We woke up next morning, like five in the morning and hit the river and had the trip of our lives. I mean, I remember so many details about that trip. I remember solving like these minute mysteries at night around the campfire. I remember picking blackberries on the side of the river, and that just is so emblematic of how I was raised. That the Hollywood stuff was not this. There wasn't a big emphasis on how important it was, or how glamorous it was, or how you know, how that defined me at all. I'm so lucky to have had parents who weren't overly impressed with it all, and who really cared about us being kids first. I mean, you know, as evanced by the fact that I wasn't allowed to audition for series regulars. I mean, my mom and my dad both had a sense of like, Okay, this is all great, but we're not going to just take over her childhood.
Speaker 2: So where did the desire to do it in the first place come from? Was it just like local theater or acting classes? How did you and your sister get into it?
Speaker 7: Oh, my gosh. I mean, my mom was a professional dancer before we were born, and so she had a dance studio that we took lessons in when we were very young. And she was also friends with Leslie and Warren, who is an actress who did like the original Cinderella. Speaking of Cinderella, I have to reach out to her actually about that. Anyway, Leslie and Warren wonderful woman, and she The story goes that I was sitting on the floor of my mom's dance studio, staring at myself in the mirror, making faces at myself, and then Leslie said, oh, that's an actress. No, that was And then and then my mom she moved us up to Los Angeles because she was getting into like producing music videos and stuff. And it's funny because that never really took off. But at Leslie's suggestion, my sister and I tried acting classes and we loved it. We went to Lee Strasburg and Stupid. It's so much fun. It was singing and dancing, acting, it was it was camera work, it was theater work. It was like an all day thing on Saturdays. And I remember my mom said that she felt back. She's like, I'm dropping them off for so long. But the end of the day we didn't want to go. Oh we had so much fun. So then we did some theater there when we were like six and seven years old, and then after that we got an agent came to one of those shows and started doing commercials and there you go.
Speaker 2: Wow, where was your first commercial?
Speaker 7: It was for a nineteen eighty five Volkswagen Golf car and it was I was just a family getting out of the car. It was supposed to show how big the car was on the inside, because I guess they were known for being small cars, Like no, no, there's lots of space, and so we all like piled out of this car like a clothing car.
Speaker 3: Yeah you think, you think of exactly, but yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean you have to pause to see my face because I remember my mom saying, oh, the mother in this new head of find the camera because she's like getting stuff out of the trunk and she turns her head towards the camera to get into stuff out and I was like, just I had no clue. And basically I was like it was like she was holding this speech ball and I had pigtails. You could see meet my pigtails from behind the ball. And then she moved the ball and there I was with.
Speaker 5: Pause, there's there's her face. Yeah, that's so funny.
Speaker 1: So again, similar to me and Topanga, your first episode had a kiss on screen.
Speaker 5: What was that experience?
Speaker 7: Like for you, Well, that was my first kiss in real life too. Yes, how old were you when I had that?
Speaker 5: Twelve?
Speaker 7: Okay, wow, parallel lives, Yes, it was, it was.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 7: It was exciting and nerve wracking. I mean at the time I had a massive crush on Fred, so that worked out. But it was embarrassing because you're like a preteen about to have your first kiss and there's all these people watching.
Speaker 5: Yes, including all your family.
Speaker 7: Oh yes, my family and not all my family well well eventually my family. It was there at that moment outside with us, with the Harper's Woods and the village, the uh, the video village was right there, and like everybody was just there, you know, and trying to have my first kiss over here people can we.
Speaker 4: And you both kissed the Savage for your first time. I mean just the parallels are pretty amazing.
Speaker 5: Yes, so funny.
Speaker 1: My my parents were there, but also my grandparents were there, so I was literally was like it truly felt like this is not usually how I would have chosen for a first kiss.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: I think this brings up an important distinction though, is that we were a multi camera sit and Wonder Years was single camera, so it's actually, you know, even though we have a lot of parallels, you were living a very different day to day lifestyle. You were, you know, you would shoot a scene, you'd get the pages, you know, and then shoot that scene that did never have to look at it again, whereas we would be rehearsing, you know, all week long, and then it would just be.
Speaker 7: Okay, did you rehearse the kiss? Like, did you kiss in the rehearsals?
Speaker 5: Yes, for at least the run throughs. We didn't kiss necessarily all day.
Speaker 1: During the the rehearsals, but I think it run throughs we did the kiss, and then on tape night it was still like a really.
Speaker 7: Big deal, yeah, right, because then you've got the live audience.
Speaker 5: Right exactly.
Speaker 1: We had two hundred people in the audience, my grandparents included.
Speaker 7: Yes, we were outside in the woods, you know, sitting on that rock, and and and also and Fred and I both wear glasses, and we didn't have our glasses on. We were shooting, and we didn't work. We were like too young for contact or something anyway, so we couldn't. Really it was like this haze of people, which is actually probably good yestive as clearly because just a crowd of people just you know.
Speaker 4: Watching Where's kiss? First kiss should be blurry? I mean I should be blurry. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Where did you go to shoot Wonder Years? You were obviously Yeah, but were you?
Speaker 7: I mean we shot we were we had since we had sound stages in Culver City eventually, but we shot the the neighborhoods were in Burbank and which is Los Angeles for those listening, part of Los Angeles. And yeah, we just had we had locations, we were all over.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's very and so what Yeah, what was your your typical day then? Like I know, on a single cam it kind of changes day to day and your location changes.
Speaker 5: But we've talked a lot.
Speaker 1: For our listeners about what our schedule was. We started on our week started on Fridays, we would do a table read, we'd rehearse for you.
Speaker 5: Every day was probably very different.
Speaker 1: But could you walk us through a pretty typical day for you on set?
Speaker 7: Yeah. For the days that I was working kids, I would literally work maybe two days out of the weekend. The other three days I was going to my school. I was bouncing back and forth and back forth. The thing that was unsettling about that, honestly, is that like they would say, okay, well there's a history of test next Friday, and I would have no idea if I was going to be there for it or not. All right, I wasn't giving my schedules till sometimes the night before. I wouldn't know if I was working.
Speaker 5: So he teach you to be like, you know, yeah, that's flexible.
Speaker 7: And uh and ready for anything. A lot of interesting skill there and this young person.
Speaker 2: But then you guys would have on super early morning calls sometimes right like you would be yeah, sure.
Speaker 7: We would always do like too bad. It wasn't well, it wasn't as a as a kid, they didn't bring in too early. They would bring the parents in early summer. Dan and Ali played the parents. I'd get there and they were already they'd already shot sometimes by so I don't weber being called earlier than eight as a kid, whereas you know, Allie Mills would have been there at six thirty and here in magup right, and now that's me, now I get it was not It was not too early. It was pretty reasonable. And we only worked nine and a half hours, and that was including lunch and including the three hours of school, so we were and they did a really good job of protecting us, so we were not overworked and and but but that meant that we often didn't shoot with each other. So another thing that's very it's different from what you guys experienced, is that because it was single, Cameron because he had to get three hours, had to get three hours to school work done. And that was the most challenging brand because he was in so like basically all those scenes, and and so I was often on my close ups, he was never there. And then photo and the foul worked a lot too and also needed uh schoolwork. So sometimes it was a single, clean single I'd be literally working to a piece of tape. And I remember there's one scene, there's one episode of It's called a Mad Mad Madline World where it was a field trip we were we shot at a Griffith Observatory and I remember my close up in this scene with like five people, and there's four pieces of tape and the trew smile and pieces on I knew which tape was each person in the scene. And Kirk Trutner, who read the voice of the narration while we were shooting it, he would he did all the different voices and he would change his voice slightly. He was super talented voice actor that we were lucky to have on set with us because he was the voice of the narration. He would later be recorded by Daniel Stern. He was there to guide us through it and you Also, the other interesting skills that that I you guys probably didn't have to learn is because of narration, is that when you're not the one having the thoughts, you just have to kind of suspend yourself in that moment. Yeah, right, suspended where you are as Bread was getting to act the thought that we're hearing.
Speaker 5: Correct, you couldn't even act it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, why I wasn't having those thoughts. I was just right. It's like an avatar that's kind of waiting for the next instruction. Hey, in the moment, there's almost like, you know, like you're shooting something and they're like, wait, come in, we fix a hair like wall, but you're still in the middle of the scene and they walk off there and continue. It's like being that suspending moment. So that's a lot in those kinds of situations where there's some shuan set that fixed something in the background. We have to keep shooting, and I just have to stay where I am.
Speaker 2: Well, something we all had to learn holding for laughs because that's c you have to sit there. And what you realize, you know, especially as a kid or an actor who's never done that, you just want to keep playing the scene. But what you realize is that everybody sort of like turns off and just holds for to laugh because if you keep playing the scene, the laugh will actually stop. They'll think something else is going to happen.
Speaker 7: Right, And at the beginning of whatever you were saying.
Speaker 2: You know, and I've seen it now, like you work with you know, new actors that haven't done it, and you have to teach them like no, no, no, no, it's like it's like reality stops and it's actually more realistic for you to just hold your facial expression for thirty seconds or whatever. It's so weird.
Speaker 4: You come to realize though, that that's that's the audience's line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, I mean, that's that's the laugh. Is their line.
Speaker 4: So you're just essentially reacting to another to their yeah.
Speaker 3: Giving their line out and all that stuff.
Speaker 4: But I'm curious, So you the show is obviously a smash hit, but this is all pre internet and pre social media. When did you realize kind of what you were doing in the culturalegeist.
Speaker 7: It's funny because in six seasons and the last season, somebody on set asked me what it was like to be America's sweetheart. And I had no idea what they were talking about. It was clueless, Like what what do you what do you mean? I mean, I was so busy working, but mostly going to school, you know, a studying. I mean I I you know, I went to this difficult I mean, Harvard was no walk to the park and and you know it prepared me for being a math major at U c l A afterwards and all all the rest of it. So it was it was I was so busy doing that and I was not. I was a very I was a good girl. I was I didn't go to parties and stuff. I was just And even if I did go to a party, like nobody was offering me drugs, Like nobody because they just could tell I really couldn't.
Speaker 4: This is this is a waste of drugs.
Speaker 7: So it's sorority party is at U c l A. I was like, and I would go to a fraternity party like maybe once a year, and like, oh, this is why I don't usually go. I would take a beer cant like because I was so people would just pressure you, Oh why aren't you drinking? So I take your can, dump it out filled up with water, in the bathroom with one of these frat houses, and then drink that all night. And then people would not write.
Speaker 5: People wouldn't bother you.
Speaker 7: Then they beat they'd leave me alone. Yeah. So I was just always a good two shoes, which I have no problem with. I e. I wasn't mean or judgmental people. I just like to you.
Speaker 4: Didn't even like cigarette smoking. I remember that distinctly.
Speaker 7: Yes, Oh my gosh. Okay, so there was So we have a mutual friend Jason Marson, who I think was trying to set us up. But you smoked, and I.
Speaker 4: Told you, yeah, You're like I'm not going to date you because you smoke cigarettes.
Speaker 3: And I was like, all right, I will continue dating camera lalth.
Speaker 5: Not you don't get any of my camel.
Speaker 4: Bucks, then exactly I could have showered you in camel cash, but whatever. Yeah, it's fine. I could have made it rain with the camel cash.
Speaker 3: But no, it is like no yet, No, I remember that. It was like, it's not it's not going to happen. You smoke, and I was like, all right.
Speaker 1: You'll be happy to know Will is ten years free of cigarettes, so everyone can enjoye ten years.
Speaker 5: It's been really difficult. Breathe better.
Speaker 7: You probably exercise more, Yeah, but at what cost? So I tried a cigarette once when I was eighteen, and it was like so good and nutty and satisfying. I was like, okay, I'm never touching that again.
Speaker 3: It was exactly the opposite reaction.
Speaker 7: I supposed not like it the first time you try it, and its like if I like it the first time I try it, then that's bad news.
Speaker 5: That's bad news for you.
Speaker 3: I can see why people do this.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I feel this, and I have been I better not yep.
Speaker 1: So when Wonder Years ended, did you find it hard to be seen as anything other than Winnie Cooper? Did you have a hard time breaking out of the like child actor stigma?
Speaker 7: Well that's a good question. I mean, I I still am recognized Cooper like that's so. Did I have a hard time breaking out of it?
Speaker 5: I never did, never did, but it's okay.
Speaker 7: It was. It was confusing when I first went So I the Wonder Years ended and I started UCLA within a few months of each other, and so I was like, Okay, new chapter of my life. I'm moving on with my life, and everyone else will do that with me too.
Speaker 5: They're all going to move on to.
Speaker 7: Everywhere I went on campus whatever, people like, oh my gosh, hey, Whinny, where's Fred? And you know the riche Kevin and and uh and that girl friend that show. Oh my gosh, dude, look it's that girl from that show. It's like over and you guys are I'm sure that guy from that show that girlfriend right, yeah, oh yeah, you're like grew up, you know, and you're you're that girl played Winny and and so I had a big turning point at UCLA where I kind of like I just needed to know who else I was. And at the time I was considering being a film major. And then I had taken a math class. I always loved a good challenge, and so I took this mathlas multi variable calculus because I'd taken single variable calculus in a Harbor West life, and so that was the math that I passed into. I'm like, oh my gosh, college math, this is gonna be so hard. But just I just I just have to see what it is like. Let's just see what that would be like, right, And I did really really well, and uh the first midterm I studied so hard too, I really I put everything into it and it paid off. First midterm, Remember, I thought, oh my gosh, I failed. Right, I got a twenty two out of forty. But apparently it was some sort of weader test because the professor like grafted the scores on the chalkboard. There was one twenty two. This is a class of one hundred and sixty three people. There was one twenty two if there were two fifteen's and the rest was nine and below. I'm like, I'm looking at my test, like that's that's me, And there's all these people who looked much more like math people than me. I don't know how to say it, but they just I thought, well, those people, I'm sure I can tell that they're gonna.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're gonna aice this.
Speaker 7: Yeah, exactly. They all look like they belong here, and I do not feel like I belong in this class. And that was a good lesson for me, like, oh, okay, I guess maybe I do belong to this class. The next day, I had someone tap me on the shoulder in that class and say excuse me under that girl. And I figured they were gonna say from the morning, who got the twenty two? I was like, it is me. And that teacher told me, he's like, you have a gift. You need to pursue this. You know, you guys weren't supposed to do this well and what's going on? And so it was like it was just music to my ears. I felt so from from being associated with something. It was over. It was the one years was done and so and it makes you, as you, guys, I'm sure have experienced to some extent at some point. Who else would I be if I didn't have this character? What would my value be if I didn't have this show and this character that everybody loves, like who also want to be? And so I got to find out by I just I decided to quit acting because I was still trying to do like I done a TV movie up in Vancouver and the Moment of Truth movies on NBC. You guys did any of those anyway? I did one and then I came back and it was this was before I took that math class, and I was like, okay, I'm ready to to do a makeup mid term and they're like, no, you can't do that. We give you an incomplete I'm like what I was like, Oh wait, maybe you can't really straddle these two worlds. So anyway, as I really fell in love with math, I was like, Okay, I'm not going to be a film major. I can do that later if I want to, and you know, learned behind the scenes, behind the camera stuff, and I'm just going to do math. I'm just going to see what that is. And it felt so good. I wore no makeup to school. I would wear like jeans and a T shirt and my hair and pointing tail, and I wore my backpack with two straps and I was over. And I would walk to camp like across campus, and I just felt so a lot of the professors and then the math apartment didn't even have TVs. They had no idea who I was. And it was perfect. I went from that girl on that show to like that girl who helped me pass calculus because I was I was a tutor in the math apart I met at that point and it just felt so right. I felt really good, and it gave me this whole other base. But I remember it was interesting when I came back to acting and I would go into auditions and I would have these casting directories. I'm not going to name any names. I won't who were like, oh, so, how have you been? You know. That was the time of I'm not a writer and like the shoplifting and all that stuff and the child stress did not have a good name, right, you've been like everything? Okay, I'm like, yeah, no, no, we haven't seen you in a while. I'm like, yeah, yeh know. I was at college like, oh, that's that's great.
Speaker 5: For you, for you who are.
Speaker 7: Like a theater major. It was like and I loved this moment, just this little moment in time so delicious, Like actually, mathematics and I it's like, what you know, for some reason, I just loved that stilly. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm curious. I have to ask why maths.
Speaker 7: Because it gave me this other sense of identity. It gave me because it's hard, it's challenging, and I was doing well at it. So I felt valuable for something that had nothing to do with winning Cooper I got. I felt the value of like I felt like kick ass for something that's just in my brain something that I.
Speaker 4: I mean, were you were you attracted to math your whole life, because again I mean, you could.
Speaker 3: Have done that with it. You could have been an archaeologists. You could have been And so why maths?
Speaker 7: Well, I love puzzles and any times I love solving things, I always have to this day I do all The New York Times calls you the connections and Wortle and me too, selling me yeah all that stuff. Connections is actually right now my favorite. I pretty much addicted to it. And if I do it after a minute, like turn it the next day, I don't have it. I've already done it. Anyway, I love puzzles. I love, I just love. I love the beauty of math. Math is not a science. It's a language. So it's much more fiwer than the sciences. Sciences are like open term interpretation. People keep discovering things that disprove what they used to know, and like that's that's kind of defined science. And so with math, it's really an exploration of the human mind in a lot of ways. It's the patterns and the games that we get to play. It's like check simple rules, but the strategies are endless and so with math, it's these simple rules. There's like seven axioms or something, and then everything is built from there. And I homeschool my son, Draco, who's fourteen, and we're now doing algebra two. It's so much fun. By the way, I've written math books now, but I read that night to my son.
Speaker 5: Bathtime math time is a regular in our house.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 5: Yes, I love that.
Speaker 7: I love that. Yes I have. I have eleven math books. They're all at mckellermath dot com. You can go there and you can there's this big slider button. I'm very proud of where depending on the age of your child, I have the book that I recommend her books and yeah, I've got I got let's see, do I have that.
Speaker 5: One bathtime math time? My son loves.
Speaker 3: Yes, there it is, that's where has to start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm still there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I teach I have like this one is for multiplication and division, so third and fourth grade, the times machine, times tables, and yes there is time travel because you know, I mean, I'm an entertainer, so I like to make math entertaining. It's it's about you know, stories and just you know, like I come up and have like different rhymes and things to help kids memorize their multiplication facts, which is super important.
Speaker 3: Four did you get rid of that?
Speaker 8: One?
Speaker 4: Was?
Speaker 3: Four? Yes?
Speaker 7: Trust you?
Speaker 2: Yes it was full.
Speaker 5: Never trusted. I've never trusted math.
Speaker 1: Would you say you have like an expertise in math? Like, what would your expertise be if you had to say, one.
Speaker 7: Teaching math to kids, making math fun, and teaching math through stories and characters and making it not scary anymore, it would be what I would say. My my superpower is.
Speaker 1: See my mom would have really benefited from you had you been able to help my mom when she was a kid. My mom somehow ended up in the wrong math class in high school. She like, I think, walked into the wrong classroom and no one ever or noticed she wasn't supposed to be there, and the teacher it was like algebra, and and she literally thought it was a joke. When they started adding letters into this, she was like, Oh, that's funny. Is what's that X doing in there? And then she was like, oh, other people are answering this. And she just thought she was She hadn't taken the class that led before it. She just thought she was incapable of learning, and she just stayed the entire year and failed, and from that moment on truly traumatized by math. She was like, I'm afraid and I can't do it well.
Speaker 7: Like I said, it's a language, and if it's not translated properly, then it's like reading Chinese, and it's scary. It's scary when you're doing something that's so foreign. So that's why I try to make it like not foreign and make it just bring it into the world of kids, make it feel like kindergarten, even when you're learning algebra.
Speaker 4: And I read I read the other day that in heart at Harvard they didn't teach calculus when Harvard was founded because Isaac Newton hadn't actually invented it yet, which is just crazy when you say, really, yes, apparently this is a this is a true statistic.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: So it's like, that's the thing about math is it changed. It changes. I mean there's still discover for.
Speaker 7: New ways to to find patterns and calculat I that's amazing. Yeah, I mean, calculus is basically the way to do It's like you get to do infinitely many, infinitely small things. It's kind of how I would describe calculus is it's a better way to calculate things, Like you can you can estimate the area under a curve, but if you have the form find the exact area, which is useful for things like if you're going to paint an area, right you need to know how much paint you need or whatever. And it's got a nice creamy line to it. There's there's that calculus kind of a rudimentary explanation. That's integral calculus. Derivative calculus is finding the slope of like if you have a curve, like you know the silp of the line is you know, run over ris or run or whatever. But a curve. How do you define this slope of a point on a curve, Well, it's defined as the slope of the tangent line that touches that point. Only think about only one line will touch the curb at that point. If you try to like touch a different point, well, now it's a different point, different different slope.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 7: So that's that's that's the first calculus that you learn is derivative calculus. Then the integral one that teaches the area under a crib. I mean, I could talk about this more than my brain. You brought me on to talk about I've not written a Caculus book. Maybe someday.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Now you're written up through high school geometry.
Speaker 5: So okay, Well you've got plenty of time, so you can.
Speaker 1: You can.
Speaker 5: Maybe the next one will be calculus. You can.
Speaker 1: You have your whole life ahead ahead of you to write as many books as you want.
Speaker 5: So going back to Winnie.
Speaker 1: Cooper just for a second, I wanted to ask you if you we have another thing in common that's not necessarily a negative thing, but I do wonder your thoughts on it that our characters were written by men to be kind of these perfect, dreamlike characters meant for the main characters. Looking back, now, what are your thoughts and feelings on Winnie Cooper.
Speaker 7: Well, she I don't actually see her as perfect because she had a lot going on, like her parents separated in one of the episodes.
Speaker 4: And oh really, yeah, I'm just look.
Speaker 7: Yeah. And she and Winnie Cooper had that one episode called the Accident where she starts dating somebody who's not necessarily from the right side of the tracks, and he's a little reckless and they get in a car accident, and uh, and and and that was kind of played as when he is trying to deal with her parents, you know, separating and doesn't really know how. But I think Winnie Cooper was mostly I think whether she was perfect or not seen from afar definitely put on a pedestal and not and not understood. But I think Kevin not understanding when he is. Part of what people can relate to is it's difficult to understand the opposite sex at any age, especially when you're just first entering into relationships with the opposite sex. It's like, what, who is this? Why do they not respond the way I do to things? And hack when I said this, it was misinterpreted and I don't understand. And it's like remember that book men are from Mars, women are from Venus, that that whole thing of weight. We're speaking different languages. It seems like we're speaking the same language, but we're not. That whole revelation starts, I guess in middle school, and that I think is part of why when he was put on a pedestal. And and yeah, like to your point, Daniel, it's it's the guy's point of view in both our shows, how like, how how do I deal with this alien?
Speaker 8: Female race, Yes exactly, but I think importantly, like you know, the Cory tapang of storyline, pretty quickly became that they were meant for each other.
Speaker 2: And so in a lot of ways, that's a completely different art. Because Kevin and Winnie did not get enough together, which were great, I mean, that was just yeah, but I was that always the plan.
Speaker 7: I mean, in my fans, fans still upset on me, I'm like.
Speaker 3: I'm sure, like it's your fault, yeah, like how come.
Speaker 7: You didn't you and Kevin didn't have together? Like oh my gosh, oh my god, we're still talking about this. Well, you know, it was it was the wonder years was I think also because it wasn't like a three camera show and it wasn't as like everything didn't all work out on the end. It often didn't work out. I think it was trying to show something that more people can realistically, I guess relate to, because most of our lives don't out the way we wanted them too or thought they were going to. And so in that same way, Kevin and when he did not end up together, I like to say, though, look, all we know is what happened. That what the narrator said happened, which is that when he went off to the Savonne and got her degree in art or whatever, and he had a baby with his wife, and I was the first to you know, they were the first to greet me off the plane and all the rest of it. Yeah, well that's only the beginning of this story. Personally, I am divorced and remarried, and a lot of people are. And maybe Kevin and Winnie ended up together after all.
Speaker 3: You never know, Yeah, you never know that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was the thing that I mean that struck me about that show and still does so. Television is hugely important to me, and this was one of the first shows I can remember my mom and I every week hopping on the couch getting under a blanket because the show was one thing to her and something else to me.
Speaker 3: It seemed to.
Speaker 4: Straddle that line of it had something for everybody. And I'm curious when you were doing it, was there a sense on the set that it was a kid show? It was an adult show? Was I mean, was there a vibe that you guys were feeling or was it just the show?
Speaker 7: I mean, from my point of view, it was a kid's show. I didn't get how important. The nostalgia aspect was for adults until later. And also people would recognize me on the street and say, oh my gosh, I grew up in that era and they're nailing it. That's exactly the music I should listen to. And this the car we had. My dad had the same car, and we had that same TV or like so. So I did have a sense that they were doing a good job of being accurate, but I didn't realize how much it meant to people who grew up in that time.
Speaker 1: So we are currently very deep into a Boy Meets World rewatch for mostly the first time. Will and I watched the show when it was on in the nineties. Writer never watched it, so that he's seeing it for the first the first time. When is the last time you watched the Wonder years?
Speaker 7: You know? I tried to show it to Drake. I showed him one episode, but it was probably like four or five years ago.
Speaker 5: Yeah, not interested.
Speaker 7: That was me, Like, I'm like, no, that's that's me. It's like really, I'm like, yeah, how come everybody else thinks I look the same? You don't even recognize me? Oh wait? Because we all got older and so we all like understand the translation of what we look like now. But yeah, he wasn't that interested. And then I did during COVID. I remember, like when the first lockdown happened, I did this thing where I had this old de I was like desperate to help entertain people I don't know, and I had this old DVD player, like a little portable DVD players. So I showed the Wonders on that and like, I think it was just the first episode or the first few episodes, and I would like talk about it behind the like pause it and talk about it. I'm sure that was not like I wasn't licensed to, but it was a tiny little screen. It was sort of not necessarily in focus. And so yeah, but I haven't. I haven't. Really. It's funny because some there there are shows that that that mean a lot to us growing up, and like that I would probably watch if I had time, But I don't ever feel I don't ever crave going back and watching that show. I don't know, but I like Dan Laurie and I are good friends, and he played the dad on the Wonder Years and I so we keep in touch. I try to keep touch with everyone's it's tough though, but I went out in June to see him in a play, an off Broadway play that he wrote, and it was in And so we try to keep in touch in terms of watching the shows. I should. I mean, Drake was fourteen. Now maybe he would like it now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe he didn't.
Speaker 7: Try.
Speaker 4: Dan was actually on our show. Dan was on our show, and Fred was on our show. We had had a lot of the cast of Wonder Years came on board. It was cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we pretty much only existed because of Wonder Years.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, but that's what I'm wondering.
Speaker 2: See you finished Wonder Years and they were like, get us another Savage, let's do another show.
Speaker 4: But that's what I'm wondering. I'm wondering how much Tipango was actually kind of modeled on Winnie. Yeah, I mean the similarities are so kind of glaring that you wonder it's like, Okay, let's just this worked. This is going to be the new Kevin and Winnie. Let's go from there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, who knows.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just coming of age, like the story. I mean, like you're always going to have a crush er, you know, you're a character. But yeah, to keep it going for the whole series is pretty I.
Speaker 7: Was jealous of Danielle like a View and like Milano and all those people who got to a Candice Camera Brick, who got to like wear cool, fashionable things and putanaclips in your hair and stuff, because I was like, I'm stuck in these nineteen sixties wower hands. I was. I always felt so uncool. I'm like, look at them, they are feathered bangs, and I don't have any of that stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh I bet looking back now, it's it's pretty enjoyable to see that fashion. And you have a new Christmas movie, a Cinderella Christmas Ball, premiering on Great American Family this month, So tell us about that movie.
Speaker 7: So my new movie, my new Christmas movie, comes out really soon. It comes out November twenty ninth. It's the day after Thanksgiving, which for some people is the first acceptable day to start celebrating. And it's called a Cinderella Christmas Ball. And it's just as Christmas being magical as you would think. I play a dance teacher from Chicago who doesn't who never knew her birth father. My birth mother like literally didn't put his name on the birth certificate. And then she died when I was young. So at the beginning of the movie, I find a picture that has it's my mom that I've never seen, my birth mother. She's wearing a wedding dress, she's holding a hand of a man that we can't see in the picture, and on the back it says our place, haven Shire and the date is nine months before I was born. So I'm like, oh my god. So it's like solving a mystery, and I go to having Shire to try to find my family, and I end up as a dance teacher. I end up getting a job teaching the Prince of having Shire a very important waltz for an upcoming event that is called the Cinderella Christmas Ball, because at that event he is to dance with different royal ladies and then choose a bride, which is what happened in Cinderella. So that's how I got the name. So he's helping me with my emotional search for my family. I'm helping him learn this waltz, which I used all my Dancing with Stars knowledge to do, and so I was on that show ten years ago. And then it's a beautiful, happy ending that's cathartic and amazing and people are gonna love it. And again the day after Thanksgiving November twenty ninth on Great American Family Channel. And if people find me on Instagram, You'll be getting ulters of updates and I'll be posting on x during the premiere live posting so people can join in. Just on the commercial break, so someone should have watch the movie. I'll be like giving bts and stuff.
Speaker 3: Is he is he British? Or is this a fake land that he's the prince.
Speaker 7: Of well Hanshire is a made up city, made up country in Europe. But he actually there is a country where everyone speaks English with British accents of chess and he is so Oliver Rice, my co star, he's actually British. Usually, you know, we shoot all these movies in Canada mostly, and so we usually get some great Canadian actor who does a pretty darn good British accent. This is an actual he grew up in London, he moved to Canada ten years ago. Who was super legit. If you're in the New York area at all, you have to check out the Great American Family Christmas Festival. It's like an immersive Christmas experience, like dropping into a Christmas movie. There's ice skating, there's Santa, there's gourmet food and beverage, and then we have special screamings with Q and AS and you can meet the stars of Great American Family. And that goes from November twenty second through December twenty ninth, different celebrities going each weekend.
Speaker 5: So so fun.
Speaker 1: Do you have any other holiday movies or holiday themed episodes from TV that you love to watch around the holidays? Not that I was in, but just that just generally, Yeah, like anything that I mean, Elf is so great.
Speaker 5: Oh, yes, my mom's favorite.
Speaker 7: And a Christmas Story. Yeah, Actually, I remember when we were shooting, right before we shot the pilot, they had Fred watch a Christmas Story because the whole narration thing. They wanted him to understand kind of what it was, and so that I remember that that was the first time I ever heard of a Christmas Story.
Speaker 4: It's such a good movie.
Speaker 5: Every year, those are the.
Speaker 7: Two movies that we always make sure to watch it at least once usually a few times during the holiday season. And then Wet and then we have Great American Family on all the time because I've got so many friends doing movies on the channel, so watched.
Speaker 1: I wanted to ask you too about Swinging to Romance. What can you tell us about that movie?
Speaker 7: Swinging a Romance is a movie that was came out last year on Great American Family but now just dropped on pure Flix. So this is another dance movie. So like my new the upcoming Christmas movie, it's into really Christmas ball. I do a wall A couple waltz is in it, and that was choreographed by globs of Schenko, who's a pro and Dancing with the Stars, but he was actually in a Swing into Romance last year. He also choreographed the swing dances or the jives in Swinging to Romance. But then he played my ex fiancee and my ex dance partner in that movie, and that was a blast because I got to dance on screen with him, which is amazing because he's like so good. It was like doing Dancing with the Stars, but without the eliminations and without a live pressure so you could do it a few times. And then also without the broken rib because I did break a rib on Dancing with the Stars. Anyway, Swinging to Romance per fun movie, and yes, it's like reliving and Dancing with the Stars. It's on pure Flix and you can stream it anytime.
Speaker 5: Wait, how did you break your rib?
Speaker 7: Repeated trauma Week three actions when the trauma started because of there was this move so Val Traumakowsky was my partner, and there's this move where it was a contemporary dance. He throws me in the air and I do a three sixty spin and it catches me.
Speaker 5: Oh god.
Speaker 7: Eventually we had to change it into a one eighties spin because six I was never quite getting around all the way and so I kept landing in his on his hand on this one rib, and and I was so determined. I was like, yeah, it hurts, but you know what, I'm a dancer. Dancers, you know, you work through the pain. You just dance through the pain. Just be tough. At the end of week three contemporary dance, my rib hurts so much. I went to the doctors, like, get way, did I break it? Like's, let's no, but it's weekend sore. Wear a brace. Wear a brace for the next couple weeks. So I did so from then on, you see, you don't see my stomach and any of those dances because I need to wear those braids. Well, for week six. After week six, for week seven, that was like, okay, do you think you know it's feeling better yet feeling better, Let's go ahead and do a lift. And there was this one lift thing we tried to rehearsal and it snapped. Oh god to hear it snap, and then flooded. So when I danced for two more weeks, I danced week seven in week eight, and so I danced eight out of ten weeks two which I danced on a broken rib. And that's because because that's what you do do. Yeah, that show really taught me resilience. Have any of you guys done it?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 7: No, it's it's a ride of passage.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, we have not done it, but I will say you have.
Speaker 1: If there's anything we learned about you in this episode, it's really that you can commit to a bit, just more than just about anybody you were like math, Yeah, watch this, oh acting, child acting? Yeah, watch this, Oh dancing, Watch this. It's pretty incredible.
Speaker 7: It's called stubborn.
Speaker 5: Stubborn and.
Speaker 7: We'll see it's a guy you know, good in bed, but it's it's.
Speaker 3: Who I am.
Speaker 7: And I try to try to live life to the fullest and help people along the way. You know, my math books. I mean, that's something I'm super proud of because you know, I want other kids to learn resilience. I want kids to learn that, Like when math gets challenging, that's you don't give up because that that's when you go, oh, this is when I'm getting stronger. Yeah, this is when things are challenging, that's when you're getting stronger. It's like lifting a heavyweight at the gym. If you lifted easy weights, like who cares. Yeah, but when you're struggling, when you're struggling with anything, that's when you're getting stronger. Like embrace those moments, go oh wait, this is actually good. I still her the first time that math professor told me because I was like, I'm just I'm confused. I'm trying to figure out. He goes, that's good, Am I what? Because you're in it, yeah, working it out, and you're going to remember what you learn right now much more than you remember something that it was easy that came to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so resilience.
Speaker 1: Well, Danica, thank you so much for being here with us. Thank you for spending your time with us. It's always such a joy to see you. Hopefully we will see you at another nineties con or somewhere eventually, but it was always it's always so good to see you.
Speaker 7: You see you, Danielle. Thanks guys, Bye bye.
Speaker 5: Hy Wow. I mean she's a smarty, she's as smart.
Speaker 3: She's definitely a smart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's definitely a super smarty. We my kids love bathtime math time. It's very sweet. Every time she writes a new little kid math book, she sends it to me and she autographs it. And so I've read it a few times to Adler and he's like, what is this here? I'm like, that's the author's autograph. That's her sign that she cares whatever.
Speaker 5: Two plus three fast job, that was so fast.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Wow, you don't even need Danica's math book.
Speaker 3: I sure don't.
Speaker 1: Thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails Pod meets World Show at gmail dot com.
Speaker 4: And we have merch A squared plus B squared equals merch alt. What would you do if you're trying to calculate the area underneath the curve?
Speaker 1: Merch Pod meets worldshow dot com will send us out.
Speaker 5: We love you all, pod dismissed.
Speaker 4: Podmets World is niheart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong executive producers, Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara Sudbaksch, producer, Maddy Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World superfan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at Podmeats World Show or email us at Podmets Worldshow at gmail dot com