Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Hope you had a great weekend. Everybody. Gang's all here, ready to go. Actually, we're down a Danette, but we gained a Danette. I'll explain. The King of Content, the Minister of Humor, Fritzie is here. Seaton is on the road. He's out for the next day or two.
Speaker 2: But we brought in Dylan, our graphics guy and full time gambler as well. Dylan, good to see you. Glad you got dressed up. If you're watching on Peacock, Yes, that is man Candy right.
Speaker 3: There, Man Candy.
Speaker 4: Dan that's a first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a last probably Yes. Is that a velvet jacket like a smoking jacket. It is a velvet jacket.
Speaker 5: I like it.
Speaker 2: It's gonna get a little hot in here. Oh, it already did get hot in here. Speaking of which, Marvin is here as well. PAULI upfront and yours truly a lot to talk about with the NFL. We'll get to your phone calls as we always do every Monday. Best and worst of the weekend. What you saw that you liked, you didn't like? Stat of the Day? To you buy Panini America? The official trading cards of the program. Garage sales still going on. We're clearing out all the inventory for spring. Everything has to go and pick up some great deals at Danpatrick dot com. First Hour brought to you by Maco. Uh oh, better get Maco. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC. At Maco, they bring your car back to life, affordable pink jobs like collision repairs, and you can get a free estimate. Uh oh, better get Maco. Eight seven seven three DP Show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com Twitter handle. A DP show operator Tyler is sitting by to take your phone calls, and once again our streaming partner Peacock will bring you all three hours, a couple of things with NCAA bids Omaha Omaha's in Lipscum and high Point, and we will play the geography game coming up here. If there is a team that does qualify during the show, let me know, PAULI break into programming. There few other teams in there as well that qualified. Yeah, Drake's in of course, I like Drake.
Speaker 3: Drake.
Speaker 2: Drake's had a bad year, but not that Drake right, Yeah, Drake the school, Yeah, Drake the school and SIU Edwardsville.
Speaker 3: Dan is in Edwardsville.
Speaker 6: That's done in Ohio Valley, that's your region. Mh he played ball.
Speaker 2: M okay lebron injures his groin, his own and the Cabs who won fourteen in a row. The football news Over the weekend, we will explore a little deeper. Judy Bautista, an NFL insider for NFL Network. Great appearance, last time. She'll join us, coming up here in about fifteen minutes from now. Miles Garrett staying with Cleveland. The Raiders go out and get Geno Smith, Josh Allen got a contract extension, Steelers got DK metcamp, DeVante Adams goes to the Rams. This is similar to opening Christmas gifts on Christmas Eve. That's what yesterday was. This weekend was like today is Christmas. This is when the news is supposed to break. Noon Eastern is when they can kind of make this all official. We got Christmas gifts on Christmas Eve instead of Christmas Day. Hey, I'm not complaining. There's some big news, big news items yesterday, the Miles Garrett staying with Cleveland, Geno Smith going to the Raiders, and I think we're looking at all these scenarios, and you go, why we knew Dk Metcalf wanted out, but you're going to go to Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh doesn't even know who their quarterback is, or they might know, we don't know yet. And we brought this up a couple of weeks ago, Aaron Rodgers to the Steelers that possibility. It's at least in the exploratory stage. From what I'm told that, they haven't ruled it out. And then I saw where what's Russell Wilson going to do? What's Justin Field's going to do? And then I saw a report maybe Justin Fields to the Jets. Hasn't this young man suffered enough? They shouldn't do that to him? But you might be the starting quarterback. It's wild. It's like Seattle. They said, yeah, we'll trade Geno Smith. Okay, well, Seattle must know what they're doing if they just traded Geno Smith and they've gotten rid of Tyler Lockett or they're going to lose him. And then DK Metcalf as well, And this is a team that won ten games last year and you're going to trade Geno to Pete Carroll and the Raiders, And does that preclude them from maybe going after Shador Sanders. Now I was told it wouldn't that they could still see them drafting a quarterback. Now, are you going to draft a quarterback in the top ten. That's a little bit different if you're going to go out and get Geno Smith. But Tom Brady's influence has already had an impact there. Josh Allen gets an extension and if this helps them with salary cap relief, pushes the contract down the road, eventually going to have to pay him again. Do you get ahead of the market, which you know, there's some teams that do and some teams that don't. Dallas Cowboys don't, and it costs them all the time. It's going to cost them with Michael Parsons. And Michael Parsons probably had a I'm going to guess a celebration yesterday. I would have because all of a sudden he looks at what Miles Garrett got to stay in Cleveland and Michael Parsons is going to be asking for something that begins with a four and not a three. Jamar Chase probably had a really good day yesterday as well. He didn't do anything, but the Browns have said they're going to make him the highest paid non quarterback. Why they said this, I don't know why they have not done this, I don't know, but it's going to cost you. If the guy is great, then pay him.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's a band aid and it might hurt a little bit, but boy down the road, I'd rather have a band aid than need stitches. And that's what's happening with the Cincinnati Bengals and the Dallas Cowboys. Is Jamar Chase as much of a sure thing in the NFL?
Speaker 3: In the entries?
Speaker 2: Yes, this is exactly what you wanted out of a player that you drafted that high to be great. Now pay him. Pay that to me on his meney. And then with Michael Parsons, pay him. Remember when TJ. Watt getting thirty million, We're like, man, what is going on in the NFL?
Speaker 3: That seems like the old days? It wasn't that long ago.
Speaker 2: And then Miles Garrett, Okay, I know a little more about this than I'm allowed to talk about. But Miles Garrett, you know, talking about staying in Cleveland, didn't want to stay in Cleveland. He had Now let's go back to when he had his statement during the Super Bowl. As a kid dreaming of the NFL, all I focused on was the ultimate goal of winning a Super Bowl, and my goal fuels me today more than ever. I've loved calling this city my home. My desire to win and compete on the biggest stages won't allow me to be complacent. The goal was never to go from Cleveland to Canton. It's always been to compete and win a Super Bowl. With that in mind, I've requested to be traded from the Cleveland Browns.
Speaker 3: O WHOA, okay.
Speaker 2: This And once again I got to be careful in what I'm going to tell you. That spent twenty minutes with somebody yesterday and because I was like, boy, that was a big turnaround. Well, Cleveland wasn't fielding trade offers or they didn't get blown away by anybody. And I think what happened is Miles Garrett's representatives probably said, hey, they're not going to trade you. I mean, you can't be the GM who signs Deshaun Watson and then trades away Miles Garrett. Like that's not good on your resume. I think Cleveland was pretty steadfast. They were not going to trade him. They said they weren't going to trade him, and we thought, well, they have to trade him. I think what happened is it was basically, Okay, what can we pay you so you want to stay here? And it got to forty million dollars. I think that's really what's happening here. Miles Garrett wanted to go someplace else. They didn't get blown away by a deal, and then therefore he had to basically say, Okay, I'm going to stay, but what are you going to pay me? Because I think he also said, hey, this isn't about being the highest paid player in the league, which I didn't buy even if he went to someplace else.
Speaker 3: But I think that's what happened in Cleveland.
Speaker 2: Once again, I gotta be careful in what I'm saying, because I got information yesterday that there's more to the story that I'm not allowed to tell you about. I have to wait and let the process kind of play out here.
Speaker 6: Yes, poone, but the common reaction is what changed for Miles Garrett Because they didn't add some star players in the past two months to bolster that team and make them more competitive, They're still the Browns.
Speaker 2: So well, he couldn't do anything about it right, like he he. I don't think he wanted to stay there. I think that they gave him an offer that will satisfy him, and they were, you know, adamant, they weren't going to trade him. I don't know if he goes yeah, you know what. On second though, I think we can win at all. I think we can be competitive. I think he's just being honest that I did want to go. I can't go. I'm staying now. You know, make me the highest paid non quarterback in the league. So he can save face as well, you know, because we'll eventually move on from this.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Right now it's like, oh yeah, great, you said you were going to You wanted to be with a contender, somebody could compete for Super Bowl. Cleveland's roster hasn't really changed that much. That's what I was told. That Miles did want to leave, they were not going to trade him. They were not blown away. And then I think both parties, how do we make this work moving forward? And that's how he ended up at forty million dollars. But Gino Smith's situation, I like it for the Raiders because now you have somebody who can play quarterback and You're in a division that is the most competitive division in football. Now, you got to at least every Sunday know that your quarterback gives you a chance. And maybe Geno Smith is a B level quarterback, but that's okay. You got Rock Bowers, you got Max Crosby, you got a chance in the draft to get somebody. I'm told that they're going to get Ashton Genty told that yesterday. Now once again I can tell you things that are you know, what are we five weeks out from the draft? A month out from the draft. Things will change. But I'm trying to understand the philosophy of I don't know what Seattle's doing because that's a clearance sale. And are you going to go get Sam Darnald so you get a younger quarterback doesn't mean he's a better quarterback. In fact, I would probably still I would take Geno Smith over Sam Darnald, especially the way Seattle plays. You know, it's a ball control, grinded out makes you know, a couple of plays, and Gino has played well, But the Raiders got a quarterback that they can count on and they haven't had that for a little while. As for Seattle, I'm not sure if is this a rebuild or reload. That front office has always been great. They find talent and that's a division you can win. That's what surprised me. They could have just stayed with what they had there. Now DK Metcalf, I've said before he should be a whole lot better. Every time I see him, I see Dez Bryant without the resume, and maybe this helps him. But I can't imagine George Pickens and DK Metcalf being happy with, Hey, you got four targets today, how.
Speaker 3: About our running game?
Speaker 2: Like now, if you get Aaron Rodgers, Okay, then I could see where that would be a little more interesting. I think the Rams had an unbelievable day because you're going to get Cooper Cup's salary off the books and you bring in Davonte Adams, And I always want to know how far out do you think the Rams go? You know, we're going to get rid of Cooper Cup. Who can we get Now you start going, okay, what are the Jets going to do with Davante? But that's when you make a phone call. These things don't happen in the span of you know, six hours, twelve hours. I know there's the legal tampering, which I still find amazing that it's like jumbo shrimp. Wait, doesn't make sense legal tampering. Why do we even call it legal tampering? But DeVante Adams going there, Matthew Stafford's got to be thrilled. So you've got DeVante Adams and Puku Nakua. You got a good running game, you got our young defense. You know, you get Matthew Stafford back. They the Rams are in great shape, great shape, but there's teams that didn't do anything. What are the Giants doing? What are the Giants doing? Are you going all in to get cam Wore? Because is Justin Fields going to be Plan B?
Speaker 3: I don't know? Or is Justin Fields going to the Jets? What are the Jets doing?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 3: Is Russell Wilson in him?
Speaker 7: This?
Speaker 3: And the Steelers?
Speaker 2: I'm guessing you get like you have two quarterbacks, but you don't feel like you have one quarterback you got you just traded for g Like if I'm dk Metcalf, the first thing I say is.
Speaker 3: Well, who's going to be quarterback?
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm glad you're gonna give me one hundred and fifty million dollars. But who's going to be the quarterback here? That's the big question there. And can Aaron Rodgers fit in with the Steelers if that would happen. Kind of wild, kind of wild, yes, John.
Speaker 3: And you're still hearing that buzz even up until this weekend.
Speaker 8: Giants Vikings for Aaron Rodgers, it's all over the place.
Speaker 3: Right now with him. Yeah, I thought that.
Speaker 2: The Vikings basically said it, JJ McCarthy, you'll be our starting quarterback. And then I saw a where, well, he's coming back from a devastating injury. He might not be ready to go, and that's why you reach out to Aaron Rodgers. I'm not quite sure. But if i'm deating, you know, uh JJ McCarthy, I probably think I'm going to be the starter. But if you're Aaron Rodgers, he in his mind he's still a starter. It may not be reality, but it may be. Hey, you want to be the starting quarterback for the Giants for one year, thirty million dollars.
Speaker 3: Or take your chances elsewhere. Yeah, it's almost like.
Speaker 6: The Vikings were too competitive last year to start developing a quarterback. They were surprisingly competitive because of Donald. They may move on from Darnald, but now they have to replace him with a guy who can help them win the division. Now, it's a weird place to be if they were under five hundred last year they finished under five hundred. Move on to JJ McCarthy, calmly, but it's like they're weirdly competitive.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yes, time and social media has been having fun with the far of comparison.
Speaker 8: You play for the Packers or go to the Jets and at them the Vikings.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, you say you can't do it, but he can do it. Yeah, he didn't care. All right, we'll take a break, we'll talk to Judy Battis to NFL Network Insider, and we'll come up with a poll question today. Your phone calls as always welcome any day, especially on Monday. Best and Worst of the weekend eight seven seven, three d p show. We're just getting started back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you in to take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 3: That's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Age seven to seven, three DP show and we'll get to your phone calls coming up, best and worst of the weekend. What you saw that you liked, You didn't like. Dylan is in for Seaton today. He'll handle the poll question duties. How about our one pole question?
Speaker 4: All right, Dan our one poll? Who had the best weekend? Excluding Josh Allen okay, Gina Smith, Miles Garrett, DK metcalf A, Davonte Adams okay?
Speaker 2: Well, I would say Miles Garrett because of what he's getting paid, but he still has to get paid playing for the Cleveland Browns.
Speaker 6: Yes, Paul DeVante Adams at this juncture, his career goes to a competitive team, big market and a drop back timing quarterback that's perfect for him.
Speaker 2: Judy Batista, senior national columnist, co host of The Insiders on NFL Network. Let me start there, Judy, who had the best weekend?
Speaker 10: I would say Devonte Adams as well. He got I think more than many people thought he was going to get.
Speaker 11: He's with a.
Speaker 10: Team very much on the rise. I mean they are way ahead of schedule. He gets to stay in California, where he's from.
Speaker 11: I think he had the best weekend because, as you put it perfectly, Miles.
Speaker 10: Garrett just for the cash alone, but he's staying with a team that we now know he didn't want to be with just a few days ago.
Speaker 2: Why didn't Cleveland get an offer that could at least have them budge off this stance of we're not going to trade Miles Scarett.
Speaker 10: I don't think they ever even entertained the idea of trading Miles Garrett. I listen, so much has gone wrong for that team. Obviously, the Deshaun Watson deal was just a catastrophe.
Speaker 11: That you can't trade your best player.
Speaker 10: I mean, he's not just their best player, this is a Hall of Fame caliber player. He's arguably the best defensive player in the league every year. You just can't trade that guy. And if you're going to give your fans anything to hang on to you, you can't trade that guy. So unless they were somebody came to them with, you know, we'll give you four number ones, which I don't think anybody was doing. Like, they just couldn't entertain anything. And if we take them at their word, and I think we can, because they were saying the same things to teams that they were saying to reporters, they were never trading him.
Speaker 2: Is it irresponsible though of them that yes, this guy is going you know, Cleveland to Canton. But maybe there's a stop in between with Detroit or Washington or whoever. Maybe somebody overpays to make you a bet. If I'm Cleveland Browns fan, it's nice that I I'm going to see him in uniform, But are we any better by having him in uniform instead of trying to get something else to kind of restart this this franchise.
Speaker 10: I saw a lot of that online yesterday when the deal happened, a lot of fans saying like, shouldn't we have gotten the fall of draft picks? Draft picks are gambles, right, you don't know how they're going to pan out. You do know what this guy is going to do, right, He's going to sack the quarterback fifteen times a season. At least he is going to give you a chance to win. I think part of what kept him in Cleveland, aside from the obvious the pile of.
Speaker 11: Money, is they sold to him on the idea that they have a plan to be back right.
Speaker 10: They were in the playoffs only a couple of years ago, Like, we're not you know, the roster is not completely barren.
Speaker 11: This is what we're going to do at quarterback.
Speaker 10: And I thinks as those things come to light, maybe the decision will make a little bit more sense, you know. I think he read the tea leaves and his representatives read the tea leaves that they were never going to trade him. I mean, Jimmy Haslam wouldn't even meet with him and basically said, like, you know, go deal with Andrew Berry. Don't try to come appealing to me for a trade. Go go talk to Andrew Berry.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 10: And I think they, you know, they came to the conclusion like, you're not getting traded unless you are willing to hold out and sacrifice, you know, a year's worth of salary, because that's the only alternative.
Speaker 11: You need to come to grips with the fact that you're not getting traded, So make the best deal you can and try to figure out how you can be happy here.
Speaker 3: What are the Seahawks doing, That's a good question.
Speaker 10: It's hard to it's hard to really question John Schneider because he's very, very good, you know, but certainly this is a reset at the very least, moving Geno Smith. You know, I always got the depression that maybe John Schneider, he was always less committal about Geno Smith than maybe the coaches were. Mike McDonald was at the combine only you know what was that two weeks ago saying like, we love Geno Smith, He's definitely our quarterback. But I always thought John Schneider was a little bit more reserved, and it's I think it's a good move for Geno Smith.
Speaker 11: I think it's a fairly decent.
Speaker 10: Move for the Seahawks, presuming that they already know who their next quarterback is going to be. And it's hard for me to imagine that a GM as good as John Schneider with Trader starting quarterback without having a very very strong idea of who the next guy is. So I assume that that domino will fall as soon as the window opens today for.
Speaker 2: Negotia, Yeah, I rarely question what the front office does in Seattle. They're they're very buttoned up, they're very smart. Yes, you know, if you're getting Sam Donold, Look, Gino is an older, a little above average quarterback. It gives you a little more stability with the Raiders competing in the AFC West, but the NFC West is winnable. You won ten games, you know, you went toe to toe with the Rams. The Niners are going to come back a little bit. But That's what was surprising is you let your receivers go and it just felt like a tag sale. And I don't know, you know what that big grand plant is Sam Donald going to be the answer? They're that sure that Sam Darnoald is their guy, right.
Speaker 10: I think they also want a running game, like I think they just want to retool.
Speaker 11: Right, this is now a.
Speaker 10: Second year head coach who is now going to instead of working with what was in place, is going to start putting what he wants in place, right, the kind of system he wants. I generally agree with the idea that it's a much greater chance that you're going to get worse at quarterback. Look, you already know what Geno Smith is. Are you very very sure that Sam Darnold is going to repeat the kind of success with your program that he had in an almost perfect situation with the Vikings right where he had just all world weapons, great coaching, he was protected. Well, so you got to be really sure that that's going to translate. We'll see. But again I hesitate to question John Schneider because they usually make the right motes at Seattle.
Speaker 3: Who's going to be the quarterback of the Giants?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I don't know. I don't know the answer.
Speaker 10: For a while, I thought all the pieces were lining up that it was going to be Aaron Rodgers. I'm still very curious to see what Aaron Rodgers market would be. The fact that you know, nothing has been completed with Aaron Rodgers makes you pause, and you know, as we know from Rogers in the past, like he's he's deliberate, right, He's going to think about his options and explore his options, and he's not going to be hasty. He certainly doesn't want to make a bed decision here. But you know, but if that falls through, what's the fallback plan for the Giants?
Speaker 11: You know, I don't know, you know, would they be in on Sam Donald?
Speaker 10: That's a that's a different kind of thing, you know, Russell Wilson, that's a different.
Speaker 11: Kind of thing.
Speaker 10: I mean, I you know, when the Aaron Rodgers thing started first bubbling up about the Giants connected to the Giants, I think a lot of Giants fans I live in New York, a lot of Giants fans walking for this is.
Speaker 11: Great, no way, come on.
Speaker 10: But when you slow down and think about it, like there are not a ton of great options, like for that kind of job right now, like the veteran guy who's just the bridge guy. We're not talking about a veteran guy like Sam Donald that you're going to have for the next ten years.
Speaker 11: We're talking about a.
Speaker 10: Bridge to the next guy that presumably they're going to try to draft this year. It's just there's not that many of them, and Aaron Rodgers is the best of the bunch late. I mean, you would rather have Aaron Rodgers than Russell Wilson at this point, or Jamis Winston or you know, Jimmy Garoppolo, like you know who else is out there.
Speaker 11: So we'll see.
Speaker 10: I am curious to see what the rest of the market would look like for Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 2: Judy Battista joining us on loan from NFL Network, co host of The Insiders.
Speaker 3: What are the Steelers doing?
Speaker 10: The Steelers are loading up. I think the way last season ended for the Steelers, where it was just clear they didn't have enough firepower, enough offensive firepower to stay with the top teams in the AFC that you know that the offense really sad at the end.
Speaker 11: I think they are going to fix that.
Speaker 10: Don't forget they spent all of last year trying to get a big time wide receiver.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 10: They were in on Brandon Ayuk, they were in on DeVante Adams, they got Mike Williams. That didn't you know, okay whatever, So this was like the long quest for a receiver finally finally coming to an end and they get DK Metcalf. To me, the thing is, are they keeping George Pickens too? Because then you have Pickens and DK Metcalf, which is pretty appealing for a quarterback, whoever the quarterback is. To me, it's amazing that they made the deal for the star wide receiver without having any quarterback under contract. I know, sort of the reverse, but it's quite a good selling point if you have to sell yourself on a quarterback.
Speaker 11: I mean, for instance, if I am a.
Speaker 10: Veteran quarterback with options and the Steelers are interested in me, that's a pretty I mean, I know the weather is tough and it's an extremely difficult.
Speaker 11: Division, but those are some pretty good weapons you'd be thrown too.
Speaker 3: We tend to talk about this.
Speaker 2: It feels like on a yearly basis, there's certain teams that are proactive. They're going to extend their star players. They get ahead of the curve, the financial curve. Here we are with Dallas and Micaeh Parsons, and here we are with Jamar Chase. The Bengals could have signed Jamar Chase a while ago, it feels like and Dallas could have done the same thing. I mean, you'd be saved. It's only going up. The longer you wait, the more it's going to cost you. So I'm just trying to understand the financial responsibility sensibility with both of these programs. These franchises of they're great, pay them, don't wait to pay them.
Speaker 10: I don't know, I don't know why they wait, but I mean this last weekend we've seen the stark like what happens when you wait? They waited, and now they are Both teams are going to have to pay many, many millions of dollars more, Which is great for the players, Michael Carson. Good for Jamar Chase. They deserve they've earned it, go get it. But if you're the team that's trying to move around the dollars, I mean, you have really put yourself in a terrible spot. The Bangals did it to them twice. First of all, they should have done Jamar Chase last year. They were close. I believe they got hung up on guaranteed money, which now you're like, ah, I mean the market jumped so significantly, right. Nax Crosby deal made him the highest paid non quarterback, you know, by a little bit. Now the Miles Garrett makes him by a lot. And the Bengals have said publicly that they're going to make Jamar Chase the highest paid non quarterbacks, So I mean they've got no wiggle room and now that's going to be much more expensive.
Speaker 11: Same thing for Trey Hendrickson if they have any thoughts of being able to keep him.
Speaker 10: Well, the market for pass rushers just took that big leap too with Miles Garrett, so that's double trouble for them. And then of course the Michael Carson's thing, which is, again, why why do these teams wait? I don't know, but they're going to pay much much more than they would have if they had just been proactive and gotten it done early. You always, if you're the team, you want to be the first, right if you're the player, you want to be the last because you want to top the market. From the team point.
Speaker 2: Of view, this was not good and I like what Buffalo did they were proactive. This kind of came out of nowhere with Josh Allen getting a new deal. But it gives them flexibility, yes.
Speaker 10: Right, And you don't have to you don't have to think about this and there's no The other thing about waiting is it creates tension with the player, right, like, which you should not want to do. If again, the Bengals know they're keeping Jamar Chase, right, he is a superstar, he's your guy, He's Joe Burrows guy. You can't let him out of the building. Why would you ever want to create tens with a player like that. So in the case of Buffalo, I mean, obviously Josh Allen is a stud, right, the MVP. Where would that franchise be without him? Yeah, they were proactive. Let's make him happy, keep him happy, like anything, anything to make him happy.
Speaker 2: And it's like the Bengals are paying their taxes late. The Cowboys pay their taxes late. They're not And once again, they have to be pretty smart to get in the position to be able to be an owner of a team. But there are times when I just with Jerry Jones, he did this with dak overpaid for DK see d Lamb now you can look at ce Dee Lamb and say, all right, they got a better deal with the you know, wide receiving market. But Michael Parsons, you know, he's great, Pay him, pay him, and because down the road these other guys are going to get paid as well.
Speaker 10: But well, and the other thing, if I could just add this, the other thing is when they when you wait and it stretches throughout the off season, as we saw happened with Dallas last year. Like the players admitted it was a distraction, right like when you go down to literally opening day for Dak Ruscott, right hours before kickoff of the season. I mean they admitted it was on their minds. And that's that's the last thing you want for a team that's you know, considers themselves.
Speaker 11: In the mix.
Speaker 2: Now they're all in, and that's what they are. The Cowboys are all in. Great to busy with you again, Thank you very much.
Speaker 11: Great to see you, Dan. Thanks.
Speaker 2: That's Judy Batista, senior national columnist and co host of the Insiders on NFL Network. Yeah, there are just certain teams, certain moves, things that make you go, hmm, Michah Parsons is going to cost you. We've said that this was last year. I think we talked about the Cowboys were in a a good ish but bad ish situation because they were going to have to pay Dak CD Lamb and Micah Parsons, all at the top of the pay scale for their positions. If they are great, then pay them. The same thing with the Bengals. Now you have to pay Jamar Chase over forty million dollars. You could have saved yourself four or five million dollars, but a year add that up. Now, all of a sudden, you're saving twenty million dollars that can help you in other areas of your team.
Speaker 3: Just don't understand it.
Speaker 1: Yes, Marvin, it's like the beautiful girl that is way too hot for you, and it's like, man, she's smart, she's funny, she's into you.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure if I want to marry you. So what's the issue? I'm worried? Like, what's the issue? I've got commitment issues?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, commit to Jamar Chase, commit to Micah Parsons, or be committed for being crazy. All right, We'll take a break. Play of the day up next your phone calls. It's a Monday, best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 5: Oh my God, the play of the.
Speaker 9: Day butter website got it.
Speaker 5: This is the play of the day.
Speaker 6: Check this out file on at six, file on at five, over to Seers at three, Sears at two, head one, put the way in game.
Speaker 4: Game.
Speaker 3: Oh, I've done this mark series with the float at the buzzer.
Speaker 2: That's courtesy a lear Field Sports Alabama Beach All on the road. Sears is the second leading scorer in the SEC. He just he gives you buckets.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: He's a really good player, he really is. He attacks and Alabama is a good team.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Oates has done a nice job with that team. Auburn once again the SEC. Florida got to deal with them, and it feels like if you win the SEC tournament that you will have earned that number one seed. They could have a couple of number one seeds as good as they are. Play of the Day brought to you by Rapid Radio's official walkie talkie of the DP Show, offering national LTE coverage. Nose subscriptions ever, great alternative for the kids or parents.
Speaker 3: We use them all the time.
Speaker 2: Go to Rapid Radios dot com for sixty percent off our one poll results.
Speaker 3: Dylan in for Seaton.
Speaker 4: Yes, Dan, I have the results for you. Who had the best weekend excluding Josh Allen Adams is taking it right now with fifty three percent, fall by Miles Garrett at thirty seven and a half percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get it. With Davante Adams. You know, you go from the Jets and not quite sure was he going to go back to Green Bay? Was there another opportunity for him? The Rams swoop in and all of a sudden they upgrade their roster. Rams have had a good off season so far. Matthew Stafford coming back for a couple of years. That's a young team. Aside from Matthew Stafford, Devonte Adams, that defense is really good. And Miles Garrett, I don't think as much as he wanted to leave, there was nothing he could do. If the owner won't talk to you. He says, you talk to the GM. He wants you to stay. The GM said we're not trading you, and from what I was told, they didn't receive anything of I think they thought they were going this is what I was told, that they were going to get a herschel Walker like hall for Miles Garrett. Didn't get anything anything near that.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Maybe they didn't even take phone calls.
Speaker 2: But that's one of those where you got to save face for Miles Garrett and it's like, hey, but we're gonna make you the highest paid defensive player because he did want to compete. I don't know what leverage he had other than he was going to hold out Buddha in San Francisco.
Speaker 3: Hi, Buddha?
Speaker 5: What up? DP? Happy Monday boys? Every day it's a super Bowl, Frittie. Let's go DP real quick? Left turning here.
Speaker 12: Last Thursday, you guys were talking about the deathbed confession. So I called in on Friday to put a bow on it, and I got nobody and Uh, as a Dodger's fan, die hard Dan, I would be.
Speaker 5: Remiss if I didn't bring up the.
Speaker 12: Twenty seventeen Hugh Town Astros, especially jose Al.
Speaker 5: Tub and Is don't tear my Jersey off situation. I mean, that would just be Jersey to find find out about. But I digress. They have best of the weekend.
Speaker 12: How relevant the NFL is, I mean, even in its off season.
Speaker 5: It's it's like so impressive to see how much noise it makes.
Speaker 12: I mean truly amazing, how many storylines there are and moves there are to be made. Still, I mean, the shield is strong and worst of the weekend in Miles Garrett, I mean when he said it's not up, it's not about the money. When I heard him say that, I was like, I mean, it's all about the money, right, I mean, and he needs to remind himself next year. Dan around mid season, I'd say that he chose to stay in Cleveland, which is going to be not good.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: I don't know if he chose to stay. I want to be fair to the situation. And as I said a half hour ago, I have more information than I can let on in this With this story, I promised to source yesterday. But I don't think that they were either fielding calls or got anything that was going to blow them away. It doesn't mean that Miles Garrett didn't want to go and play for a contender. It was I don't think there was really the opportunity to be able to go. And yes, it's about the money he was going to get paid if he went someplace else. But when they say it's not about the money, it's about the money, Gus in La, I guess what's on your mind?
Speaker 7: Good more than mister Patrick Hopere and the boys had a good weekend. Well, you know, not too many best for me this weekend. You know, we had our eight game.
Speaker 8: Losing streak ended by that team in Boston.
Speaker 7: Lebron goes down, hopefully it's only one to two weeks, and then my lady Trojans lose close to the you know.
Speaker 8: The buzzy yesterday to that team in Westwood.
Speaker 5: Ucla.
Speaker 7: Had a good basketball weekend for me.
Speaker 3: It was fun.
Speaker 8: Though we've seen DK Metcalf comes to the Steelers. Best of the weekend. I know it really wasn't the weekend. But Thursday night I got to go to Staples Center I still call it Staples Center, I don't call it Crystal and watch the Lakers and Knicks. There's something different about this team. Dave mcmannimon kind of touched on it that there was something different, like every shot was just electric through the building. Luca.
Speaker 7: It's all one hundred percent Luca, and it's brought fun to this team. We haven't had fun with this team in years, and it's brought a level of excitement to it. I know that Charles Barkley and Kendrick Perkins are now fighting like senior citizens at the Center about why the NBA is relevant again.
Speaker 8: But hey man, it's fun being a fan in LA. No offense to Cleveland in Oklahoma City, but no one's watching you, guys, and it's because the Lakers right now.
Speaker 7: Sorry you boys, have a great week.
Speaker 3: Thank you guys.
Speaker 2: That doesn't mean that we shouldn't watch the Cleveland Cavaliers, who have won fourteen in row. You may not find them exciting. You may want to watch Luca and Lebron, which I understand. Lebron injured is growing. Paulie thinks this could be a good thing for Lebron. James, we'll have that for you coming up. When Pauli goes, hey, Lebron's growing, it's a good thing that he got hurt, I'm like, okay, all right, I'll and listen to that. I had Friday off, by the way, my wife got me a gift for Christmas that we were going wine tasting, and so we went outside of Santa Barbara, ran into some wonderful people. Got to go to my favorite. I can't say it's a winery because all they do is I got to go out to where they grow the grapes and it's a sea smoke. Now, what I found out was the sea. It's really fog smoke, but the locals call it sea smoke, and it's just this fog that comes in in the morning off the ocean and it just blankets the grapes and it creates a wonderful pino noir. But the people were great. Ran into a lot of fans of the show. Then I went to a fundraiser in Santa Barbara Saturday night and it turned it was for first responders and they did a wonderful job. Hooting The Blowfish was playing. Kenny Loggins was there, Michael McDonald was there. Who else did I see? Benji Madden of Good Charlotte was there, Miles Teller actor was there. Yeah, Oprah, Oprah was not there. I was told that Prince Harry was going to be there. I didn't see him. I was looking for Megan Marco. I wasn't looking for Harry, but I didn't see either one of them. But wonderful weekend in the Santa Barbara Montecito area. One hour in the books, two more to go on this Monday. More phone calls coming up after this