Speaker 1: Well, well, well, guess what. We've officially reached the weekend.
Speaker 2: The weekend of yes WENBA Con exactly, and we're on location at NBA Con. If you can't hear that already in the background, we are not in our usual studio and it's you know, we're here for the first weekend of the Las Vegas NBA Summer League, and we're going to discuss the incredible atmosphere here.
Speaker 1: As well as you know, some excitement for all the rookies of the Summer League.
Speaker 2: Maybe talk a little bit about webbe with stand up comedian writer podcaster Ian Carmel on today's episode. Ti'm Miles Great and I'm Jack O'Brien and this is let's tack.
Speaker 1: All right, Okay, shout out to be young man right there. Fantastic lass, Sir Davis, there you go, driving spinning Curry, a three parter stop Curry from downtown again, benest a tall, don't you get on? And Carmelo is our guest today. Thank you so much and Carmel for joining us.
Speaker 3: It's it's a pleasure to be here. I'm here to try to force Brooklyn into putting up as many of their drafticks as possible. I was happy to stop by the podcast.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you're in deep negotiation.
Speaker 3: I'm a deep negotiations. Right after this, Joe Cron and I go on to NOBU and just opening a table on the tap, table on the tap, anyone wants to swing by, even like hockey franchises, football, will take.
Speaker 1: Any of anything. Yeah, it's good enough. Open, We're open, We're open. What do you think so far?
Speaker 3: Have you?
Speaker 2: I haven't been able to walk around the convention, but NBA con look is gigantic, and I've probably seen a fraction of it and I saw one DMX poster, so I'm already very excited.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's dark in hell is hot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can tell you that much about NBA Connor. That is what the NBA asked us to say right off the bat. Uh, the most legendary dmxpece.
Speaker 3: It will mostly be a DMX center to events DMX No. I walked around. It's fantastic. There's a lot of shirts that I know I couldn't pull off that people.
Speaker 1: Are saying yeah, yeah, yeah, a lot of.
Speaker 3: Stuff that I'd buy, and then a lot of the closet and be like you're thirty.
Speaker 2: I think I see atliens On Wax right there across the way, if my eyesight does not fail me.
Speaker 1: But yeah, anyway, so for everybody listening at.
Speaker 2: Home, we are in Las Vegas at NBA con uh and there's a twenty foot hoop here, Miles, I don't want to leave out the twenty.
Speaker 1: Foot hoop we got. You think you can make a shot on the twenty foot hoop?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been like the Sword in the stone, like no nobody has made it yet in my version of events.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I walk up cockly swish it. Yeah, just like just very casually, one handed.
Speaker 3: I'm waiting for Dan Cortes to walk in, Yeah, exactly, walk out.
Speaker 2: But he's got like a T shirt wrapped on his head like full Rock and Jocks, Full.
Speaker 3: Rock and Jock twenty point they win. He leaves.
Speaker 1: So you are You're You're a You're a Portland man.
Speaker 2: I'm a Portland man, a man fan left long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, tell us about what is it? Was it by choice? Is it?
Speaker 3: You have no other choice? Because I mean there's no other choice if you're a man of taste. If you're a person of taste, do you become a Portland trail Blazer fan. I grew up in Beaverton, Oregon, right outside of Portland. I went to preschool at the Middleman Jewish Community Center where the Blazers used to practice. Oh wow, Kevin Dunkworth, give me a piggyback ride. You'd see you would see Clyde Rexler leaving as you were eating steak fries in the cafeteria, and I was I was hooked, man, it was I've been a fan ever since.
Speaker 2: I can't that's so wid that they were using like a middle school, a not even a the Middleman Jewish Community Center.
Speaker 3: Oh, just a community So they had like a basketball they had like two basketball courts, and on one court the Portland Trail Blazers would be practicing. On the next court over a bunch of middle aged Jewish men would be playing pick up basketball.
Speaker 4: In the one nineties early two thousands, the Celtics practiced at Brandeis University, right legit Like they're just.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, I don't know, man, they got a court, like it.
Speaker 4: Wasn't as bit like now everybody's got their own like fitness center.
Speaker 2: Right, it's used to be like do they keep the lights on it? Like yeah, yeah, well practice there we're an NBA. Ya.
Speaker 3: He just actually picked up a JD. He was there too, right messages.
Speaker 1: So, how you been feeling, how was the how has this season been feeling for you?
Speaker 2: And you know we'll get to the off season, but how do you feel so far about this season as a Trailblazer?
Speaker 3: I have a I have a mixed bag of emotion. Yes, I I'm very I'm trying not to lose sight of a scoot and sharp, you know what I mean. I'm very excited about that. I'm very excited we locked up a tease title, you know, for three more years. Uh, Damian Lillard is is on his way out of town. And that's sad. That's a sad feeling.
Speaker 1: I was gonna ask you know that I thought he was going to be a lifer.
Speaker 3: I thought I thought of I thought he was going to be a life or two. But then certain things started breaking certain ways where it was like, I think what happened to him is what happens to everyone. You You you know, you get a little deeper in your thirties, you start looking around.
Speaker 1: You don't have a ring on that finger, you don't have a ring.
Speaker 2: On that.
Speaker 3: And then you're like maybe I should expand my age range on him, you know, right exactly, because.
Speaker 2: You're interviewing Ian like you're trying to make him cry, like you're Roy Firestone.
Speaker 1: What else? Remember I beat a simonus.
Speaker 3: If you would have come over a little bit sooner, we would.
Speaker 1: Want probably for sure, for sure.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's a Blazer fan. It's I mean, it's a melancholy time. You're sad to see Dame go. You're sad to see it happening the way it's happening, with like everything like playing out in the media, all the mud slinging and everything. But you know what I mean, a passionate love affair of messy divorce.
Speaker 1: What are you going to do to see that?
Speaker 4: I've seen a lot of people trying to put the Dame's career as a Blazer in perspective, you know, as it seems to be coming to an end, and the conversation around like is Dame the greatest Blazer of all time? And I've seen it debated along lines of like, you know, well, well Walton got you a title, and his high was like the highest and he was like a one of a kind center and Clyde might have put up, like, you know, had more success in the postseason, but I just feel like there's like something so singular about Dame. And again, I don't want to like fully go down a road where I'm trying to make you cry, but.
Speaker 1: It would be good for the numbers. Yeah yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 4: Like just just greatest blazer, Like I feel like it has to be dam Like he is the coolest.
Speaker 1: Person in the league. I feel like he's.
Speaker 2: Even the coolest person. I think in like a sleeveless T shirt. Like in my mind, I think about like how I would want my like, how I would want to look in the sleeveless teashirt I pictured Damian Lillard in practice, right exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wearing that kind that nobody else looks good in this one body type that he hasn't. I think it's generational. Yeah, I think Bill, I mean Bill won't won a title with the team. Of course, they were amazing, and then the next year they got off to an amazing start, but then he got hurt and then he left, and it was bad circumstances on the part of the team. You know, they mistreated his broken foot and made him play and everything. But he was there for like a minute and then he left and that was the seventies. Cline, I think has a little bit more of an argument, but he didn't win a championship. And to me, when you're a Blazer fan and we haven't won a championship since seventy seven, what you have to latch onto are moments, like moments of pure euphoria as a.
Speaker 2: Fan, right, because it's not always going to come in the form of lifting the trophy.
Speaker 3: Yes, not right. We haven't had that experience. So with Millard, you get the shot against Houston. I was there for that shot, and it was like louder in the tunnels after the game than I'd ever heard it in any arena during any other game. It was insane, the explosion.
Speaker 4: It was like euphoric and quieter before he hit it, Like wait, I still remember, Like the most iconic sound of the game winning shot is like when he clapped for the ball, and like you heard it echo like the whole crowd.
Speaker 1: Like it also sums up how good Blazers.
Speaker 3: Everyone's heart was like suspended until he shot it.
Speaker 2: You were clinically dead for about like a point three seconds, yeah, point nine, And then.
Speaker 3: He did We did that and that was amazing, and they did it again against Uh Oklahoma. He did it impossible shot like impossible. I went to the Motor Center to try to recreate that shot. Afterwards they had me do it and it was the fattest moment of my entire life. It was so embarrassing, like I hurt myself trying to lunch it and I still came up like four feet short. But uh, for that reason, the moments he's given us, I think he has an argument for being the greatest placer of all time. And that is just it's up to what you call it. You know, it's Tim or drex Laft or Rashid Wallace if you're just kind, you know, kind of a jerk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Rashid Wallas is one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: I say, even though you know I've had my run ins with him with my teams, but I'm just such a big Sheet fan.
Speaker 3: It's like a cult of Rasheid Wallace in Portland.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean that was like I had, like I'm not gonna lie. I had the Air Force once the Sheet.
Speaker 2: With him shooting on that, which is wow too because who else got like that kind of a logo quote unquote there's not many people like after Michael Jordan, who were there like, okay, we'll give you a little a form of you as your logo just Hid Wallace.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I also dyed my hair a little bit for cool. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I have a little bulldog tattoo on my own. I have the second most technical thousand NBA yesterday.
Speaker 4: Dame as a like, as a commercial entity, like his appearances in commercials is always so like he can pull off things that nobody else can. Like the first of all, I think he's the only NBA player to have a Madello ad, right, I think so could be at least the one that's even memorable enough to say, yeah, I'm sure they might be someone else. And then he has that one Gatorade ad where he the premise is that he trains with Ryan Garcia for a day and then is as good at boxing as Ryan Garcia is by the end, which like I feel like if Lebron tried that, nobody would be having it.
Speaker 1: But Dame, we're just like, yeah.
Speaker 3: About Ryan Garcia. Before he he started boxing, he said, hey, get you boxing. We should surely got Ryan Garcia into boxing. He also helped him Ben Gatord, so it would have been in that commercial in a very different way. Damn, that's tremendous, ranging commercials on the court and the commercials because he also plays a baby and then.
Speaker 2: All stayed at that's true. And the Medello ad though he does not do much acting. No, it's just more like he was like serving food or like doing you know, and working out in the gym.
Speaker 4: But again it's not about his acting ability necessarily as much as his like cultural gravity and like what he can pull off just like in our in our eyes more so than like what he can pull off. Yeah, his his dialogue with Ryan Garcia and that gate right ad, which I made everybody watch before we start recording.
Speaker 1: Is not convincing. It's not a it's not cracker Jack. I wasn't buying it. And just a note to the listeners what you're hearing right now is I'm just gonna look out.
Speaker 2: I'm not really good at estimating this is about two to three hundred people.
Speaker 1: I think in front of us it was two hundred unseating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's another two.
Speaker 2: Three yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely so, you know, apologies to all the Boostie's listeners staring at.
Speaker 1: Us in a stunned silent.
Speaker 3: I actually saw on Twitter that like the Thomas and Mac Center is like half full because of this.
Speaker 1: They have it on a remote feat.
Speaker 3: Spur representatives actually pretty upset.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and yeah, shout out to the Allegiance Center of who I know tomorrow they're going to be doing a whole live stream of our second performance here.
Speaker 1: So anyway, all good things to our.
Speaker 4: Home arenas are full because yeah, because the Hope bands obviously didn't travel, but it's going to experience it together.
Speaker 3: Everyone watching this on the big screens of Shabu Across.
Speaker 2: And to know that or Yoko Salt, you know, we got to keep it international? Should we move on? Yeah, let's move it along, I think because we're here at NBA con obviously, the big thing that everyone is talking about, even us as we try to figure out how we're going to grift our way into seeing Victor women Yama play for the first time is Wemby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're recording this the he's about to debut. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Other than that brickfast yeah, because he was wearing a Spurs jersey at that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we'll get a little bit more Jack your little sugar comp on this guy.
Speaker 1: The guys steaks. This guy steaks. They couldn't get one to drop series around up, make at least one. There's a hoop right there. I'll go make three in a row.
Speaker 3: In summer league. If you play well, it doesn't really mean much. But if you can't perform, you know, that's a really bad. Yeah. So I think we got to get out on Wemby.
Speaker 2: Now, you know, we were talking about Wemby for somebody who is potentially like part of the dawn of the new age of what basketball looks like. We felt Wemby isn't quite it doesn't quite capture like the essence or maybe the it doesn't quite the gravity. He needs a nickname, just Victor Webbing yam too many syllables, he needs one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where he is terrible? Yeah, we terrible.
Speaker 3: We need to put effort in on nicknames because we had that entire era where it was like, you know, you have like PG. Thirteen where it's like initials a number, initials a number.
Speaker 1: That's terriff b W one. No, come, we can't do no concept car W one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I need to be WI gives you Volkswagen, which, like he it's a notably small car.
Speaker 1: Nightmare is what they tell you.
Speaker 3: Great, And then we got like and then like just the name based nicknames are terrible too. Now we're stuck with Joker forever, with Jokic. When Big Honey was right there.
Speaker 1: Big Honey, Big Honey. Yes, the man is.
Speaker 3: Big Honey Joker. And look at all these brackets and.
Speaker 2: Uncle, I don't know that. Yeah, that's how he plays basketball. It's like you're playing with ball. He plays the driveway George, the goat of George, because he could play just as well. Looks like he would show up to the y and George dominate. Did you see the video of him buying beer in Serbia recently? There's CCTV camera of him going into a liquor store in Servia to like just buy like a six pack because he's like hanging out with people, and.
Speaker 1: He's dressed like.
Speaker 2: Uniform, no, just like like loose cotton tank top, shorter shorts, like slides like backwards hat, and he walks in very casually, and like the person at the register's like, wow, you're tall, and like doesn't even like doesn't know his pocket and he's just being like yeah, yeah, She's like you should have played basketball, took off there he is.
Speaker 1: He's like undercover as Pacoli, Like that makes sense.
Speaker 4: He seems like one of the people who would do what like Bono got caught that one time dressed as like a Hasidic Jewish guy, because like, yeah, to just like try and fly under the radar. He's just like like I am American surfer as a Jew.
Speaker 3: I just want to say, we would welcome you, Kitch.
Speaker 1: Or Bonom.
Speaker 2: Make the leaf, so Jack, you have any I mean, look all right, So yeah, Wemby just sounds like I don't know, like when.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear it's Wenby said in.
Speaker 2: A British accent, Like for some reason, it just sounds like it should be said with a British corky, like one of the Queens Corgies was named Wenby Wemby. When I wrote it in the Google doc, it auto suggested Wembley. So there's just Enlish energy coming from this nickname.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So we're gonna live workshops and nicknames for him. So Nails is one that I wanted to put out there because it sounds tough but is actually a reference to his beautiful.
Speaker 2: Nails and nail beds. Yeah, yeah, likeceutical health is peak, like some of the most beautiful nails I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you look at that guy. You know he's taken by it.
Speaker 2: You know, there's no question he's cheap, like Dead Sea Secret brand, you know what I mean. But again, beautiful hand. I mean that could that's potential if I'm thinking on the business side, Okay, maybe we can a little nail polished deal or something there. But you know, maybe maybe something you have something a little more intimidating.
Speaker 4: Slender Man was thrown out by super producer Brian gets that kind of the otherworldly nature of his presence, the fear he puts, the fear he strikes in other team's hearts, the fact that he looks like three large gazelle's in a trench coat. Like all those things kind of work together, right, what else?
Speaker 1: Wembang ya mama?
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 2: That's I feel like that's like very fifth grade like playground and energy back.
Speaker 3: Like these sort of and one T shirts, you know what I mean, where like he becomes the new and One guy.
Speaker 1: Who's also kind of like Sunderman, like a faceless.
Speaker 3: Grave form victorya mama, and then like whatever joke it is, you just fell that right in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I like Vic, Vicky Stilts, Vicky Stilts, you know, just the classic Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think Vic has to come into it on some point, Like Vic is a workable part of the Yeah, like something about Vic Vic Skywalker, you know, like sci fi and stuff like that, So I think that could work too, maybe.
Speaker 1: And he I think he said he likes Game of Thrones also, so look.
Speaker 3: You know MATD.
Speaker 2: Boosey's listeners, please give us some Tolkien or George R. R. Martin or George Lucas based nicknames for him that we will personally delivered him well when we surprised him on.
Speaker 1: And he seems really busy, so we're gonna have to run up. We got some notes for you.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I mean he's the person he's mainly going to be compared to, other than I guess Chet probably a little bit, but also Scoot, and Scoot has like just a timeless, like a plus perfect nickname.
Speaker 2: Yeah, out of the box, Scoot is fantastic and it's I think I think what's great about it is that it feels like it could be diminutive to school, but there's also just something about it where it's like that, Scoop.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Also, can you imagine how it would feel to get dunked on by guy named Scoot, like the guy maybe you lose to it like tennis at the country place, you know what I mean, like maybe shuffle board, he beats you up and you just got dunk.
Speaker 1: Scoop Scooting his wife cricket tennis club. Yeah, yeah, we're.
Speaker 3: Having We're having Scooting cricket Own for clubs.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh have you had her time? She makes her own Tom Collins. She's amazing stick Actually I love Cricket, love her. But yeah, I and Scoop. By the way, his real name is Sterling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which is also good, so like he just naturally is just oozing nickname charisma.
Speaker 3: You know, if he turns twenty nine, then he wants to get out of the school business and turn into Sterling.
Speaker 1: Sterling rules.
Speaker 2: It's definitely like one of the most high volume car dealerships in terms of sales in the Pacific Northwest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Sterling Henderson is like a in like a John Grisham book, where like the hot shot crops and works before things like turn out to be not what they seem exactly right.
Speaker 1: It's the pelican digging into the all is not what it seems. Hey, you know what happened to the last guy who had your position. It's Sterlie Henderson. He went missing neither do we scuba diving accident and he and he was licensed.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: A lot of people have kicked around something with aliens UFOs. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't feel like UFO really captures, like the link calling him an alien is a little weird.
Speaker 1: I think maybe we just have to wait to see him play and it'll be very clear.
Speaker 3: I think that's what it should be. I think there needs to be a league wide agreement that we wait and don't stick him with like wemby d nickname. We wait for him to do something right, right right, and then it's bestowed like that talent should happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how many games do you think we give somebody before we give them a stick stock until the right name arrives. Well, I mean we'll tell them, like the process, this is my son right now, we haven't given him and can't figure it out. Just trying to vibe it out. Oh man, five months deep, it's getting kind of hard. The nurses still stopping. Buy your place, be like, hey, Hey, come on, you gotta fill this thing out. I'm like, just leave it blank for as long as you can. I don't I'm not getting a vibe from this kid yet, just like.
Speaker 3: Straight up commune vibes and let the kid name himself whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just lay out three basketball cards in front of him and whenever when he pulls out fo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're lafondol.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, do we also want to talk about chet because I think that's another thing I feel is missed a lot, and we're so focused on Wemby that we're also forgetting that we're also going to have another very interesting physical creature.
Speaker 4: The enormously tall, thin people out like in the heartland of America devouring NBA teams.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I this is the most excited I've been purely based on in the Summer League. Like, I mean, he's had too like two games this year and a number of games last year.
Speaker 1: This is like also there there's a.
Speaker 4: Huge leap it's taken because of like how little I feel like he was able to show what he could do in college. It's it's so strange, like have you ever had like a group of friends who you're just like for like people that like you couldn't like really like vibe with and like you like I wonder if that's what was Yeah, I know, but I wonder if that's what it was like like he just like couldn't like do like he didn't look that impressive a Gonzaga and like, oh my god, he looks amazing in the Summer League.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that wasn't a system where he could shine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I don't know if it's the like they clown it.
Speaker 3: Up aready there going on? You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Like that loved Tom, don't they We loved Timmy, don't we look him? But yeah, I don't know he Have you ever.
Speaker 3: Seen the video of Girafts fighting yea at the zoo? They like they say they faced each other and then they just whipped their next to each other as hard as they can. And I think that's what it's gonna look like if Victor webban Now and Chet end up in the paint together.
Speaker 2: It's there for fun in the Yeah, wow, that's gonna be a just it's gonna look so weird. That's that's again, like to your point, Jack, what's so interesting I think about this new season coming up is that I feel like we're just on another sort of generational shift and how the games played, you know, like we're starting to see like these like really interesting, very unique types of players come into the league and now just seeing how that's gonna work now because a lot of people that we'll look see what happens if you know, can winby throw was weight around or this, that and the other. And I'm sure we're gonna see how he's you know, is able to use his size and skill. I'm gonna watch every game that Wemby plays in for like I don't know how long it's gonna ast, Like.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry your we got got it. I'm gonna watch every game that the Nails Nail Nails.
Speaker 4: I watch everyone in Nails this game, and I'm gonna watch everyone at Chess kids because like they're yeah, they're both so super exciting.
Speaker 3: And like Lenny Dysker was the last Nails and that was like ages ago, right, we're ready for it, And.
Speaker 1: That was more persona based the cuticle. You don't have a successful car wash, absolutely.
Speaker 4: One successful business man all and then Scoot, I mean, so how are you feeling about the season.
Speaker 3: I feel phenomenal. I feel I pray we get the Dame thing wrapped up before the season actually starts for him and for us. But like, I'm ready, I'm ready to watch Scoot throw like an alley oop too sharp, throw it down so hard that they have to like adjust the rim afterwards, had to happen three times a game, and for us to lose by fifteen brislies.
Speaker 1: I'm ready.
Speaker 3: I'm ready for all of them. I'm ready to go twelve and seventy this season. Man, let's do it. I know it's not even a good half class. Give it's that big kid from Maine. What's his name, who's like in the twenty twenty six draft class.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I forget his name. That Lebron was just talking to you. Yeah, he also has one of those new I know exactly who you're talking about.
Speaker 3: That guy is from Maine. I don't think he's gonna have a problem with playing in Portland, Oregon. You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's just the Portland and Portland and Portland.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll introduce him to places that make high end biscuits in the woods.
Speaker 1: Like a good flannel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got a triple x al triplexel double tall.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: I know that for a fact, because that's what I was wearing. We will hook it all up. I'm ready. I'm ready for the Blazers to be bad. One of the I mean, like, as an NBA fan, what's the worst thing that can happen is your team does not have a definitive direction where you're like hanging out in limbo. And that's kind of where we were. Damian Lillard was too good for us to ever really be bad. The rest of the Ross was too bad for us to really be good. Now we've got Scoot, We've got Sharp, We've got like other good young players, and I'm ready. I'm just ready to go. Man, let's go be bad for fun.
Speaker 1: I think you guys are gonna be I think it'll be interesting.
Speaker 2: We might be all right, yeah, yeah, I wouldn't get Yeah, I mean, I know, like we all have to taper our.
Speaker 3: Well, we've been at one hundred and sixty million dollar player in uh Jeremy Grandfast Yeah, so yeah, you know for real and and of course Anthony Simon's yeah, we might actually like I think we're going to be better than last year.
Speaker 1: I think that's a safe bet. If you want to go to the sports book right now. Yeah, but what do you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Western Conference Finals?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I like that.
Speaker 4: I can definitely see okay, see like actually, you know, it seems like Shay Gill just Alexander like gets better every year and they are now going to have somebody like Chad actually looks like he can like make stops in the paint, which I don't think a lot of people had coming in.
Speaker 3: Well, we's got big hips in the NBA anymore. There's no one to literally get him off the block wide the same way. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like Embeide would turn and accidentally like send him into the room.
Speaker 3: Might accidentally.
Speaker 1: Moving his arm like is hazardous.
Speaker 3: To making always like goofy? What you real quick?
Speaker 1: In terms of contenders, uh, sons building out their depth? Uh? Are we are they now?
Speaker 4: I mean people heading into the playoffs last year were like the sons of the team to be Obviously it turned out to be the Nuggets. I feel like it's still the Nuggets, but it does feel like we're getting towards a big three of teams with the Nuggets, Sons and Lakers looking really good.
Speaker 1: I'd say too.
Speaker 2: Now, is anybody that you see with impressed with anybody's off season moves.
Speaker 3: I was really frustrated with how well the Lakers did. That really upset fans.
Speaker 2: I couldn't believe it. I was like, I was going to get a little bit more money than that deal of this century. Do we have like a promo code or something?
Speaker 3: Rock. I think there was like a group on for white rim, like rip runners and then yeah pulled that out. Uh yeah. I thought they had like a really good offseason and again like the Suns, I mean adding, uh oh, who's that guy who was on the nets?
Speaker 1: Oh, come on you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought that, like that was a fantastic ad, especially with how open He's gonna end up.
Speaker 2: Being like on that team and they better be good because yeah, even a shooting I mean, what are he in the season at like just around forty maybe?
Speaker 1: Yeah he was, because I remember at one point was she was like way out.
Speaker 3: She was like shooting mid forties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was only forty seven or something at one point, and we were like, Okay, he.
Speaker 4: Didn't end up hitting the number of threes because he got hurt, right, so like he didn't so like the season ending stats, he didn't make it. But like at a at a certain point he was like ten points ten points above.
Speaker 3: Everybody's not going to be any less open on the suns.
Speaker 1: I mean, like that's serious.
Speaker 3: That's like a really good get And.
Speaker 2: I mean yeah, even as like a Lakers fan, I'm you know, I gotta have a bit of a soft spot in my heart for Frank Vogel.
Speaker 1: So I am, I am.
Speaker 2: I'm definitely excited to kind of see what happened. Yeah, just not in the context of when we're playing this.
Speaker 3: I also, here's an incredibly unpopular opinion. I like Dylan Brooks still, you know what's.
Speaker 2: More because you think, is it because it's like he didn't I'm like, that's rough, all right, Maybe I like him a little bit, or you think the whole time, You're like the.
Speaker 3: Whole time I liked a little bit. Like I like a completely irrationally confident person. Yeah, just committed to the bill, even to their own detriment, just like never let up. There were so many opportunities for him to like recant, and he never did. And there's something really charming about that. And I think you could have been in the right situation.
Speaker 2: He's got that like the confidence of like ten thousand SoundCloud wrappers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's like, how this could be bad for you?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: And cut to it wasn't great?
Speaker 3: Cut it immediately? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't know what they're doing in general. I mean, good for Fred van Vleet.
Speaker 1: That is a whole mon Yeah, a whole lot of money. When the response to your signing is everyone feeling.
Speaker 3: Good for.
Speaker 1: Him? Actually really yeah that's great.
Speaker 3: Maybe I feel for the team, but didn't want to hear that good for we were one of those codes we used for us.
Speaker 1: You got any more?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: And then the East is confusing because there's obviously the Miami Dame questions, right, so we don't we don't know what's going to happen there.
Speaker 3: If they don't get Dame, that's the worst them than last year. That's that's like, for sure, a worse theme than last year. So they like, I don't know what the plan is. It's if it's a James Harden backup plan or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah right now, Oh he's with the Sixers.
Speaker 4: They don't see like things are boy, but like kind of falling towards the Sixers, just running it back basically the same.
Speaker 3: Nobody else significantly better in the East. I mean, like, unless Dame like does end up in Miami, Boston could be interesting. Bostom's gonna see it. Yet it's different. I mean, that's the thing is like, did they Some people are like, did they have to burn it all down? Or at least a fraction of it down? I think, Jack, what you want to you you would.
Speaker 1: Have would have it up?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would have gone ground floor rebuilt. Well for those guys this.
Speaker 3: Recording, Jaylen Brown is not signed sign a signed member of the Celtics, so we could I mean, Damny Lilla could end up in Boston.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that is it. It's a grim reality.
Speaker 3: It's a real I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, but hey, good good for good for all the folks in being town.
Speaker 3: If that does happen, I think he would have a great time there. He'd be used to it sing, a lot of angry white people in the crowd. It's an environment he's comfortable playing basketball out.
Speaker 2: That's the real pressure picker, you know what I mean? All Right, I think it's time maybe before.
Speaker 1: We hit him with the ultimate Blazers fan trivia. Yeah, okay, so let me start.
Speaker 2: Let me turn this on this sway so you don't see anything, so Ian Carmel, Look, we'd like to play a few games here. This is actually it's kind of a bit of a first for us, where we're gonna're gonna walk you through you, put you through your paces, and see what you know about your favorite Portland trail Blazer right the pack?
Speaker 1: Wow? Yeah, that is actually the only question that week. Huh.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll off the lobby, Marnie Lucas, Jeff p three, Bob with it.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's we didn't even ask you another single one. Right?
Speaker 2: Were you looking at the laptop the whole time in the episode? Okay, all right, well here let me google some stuff. Then I'll just come up with something. Now here's question one. What year were the trail Blazers founded?
Speaker 3: Nineteen seventy one, nineteen seventy, seventy one.
Speaker 1: Seventy nineteen seventy Yeah, wow, I was going to give you options. Yeah, man, this guy's good. Oh yeah, we're in trouble all right.
Speaker 2: The Blazers have gotten the number one pick in NBA history four times. Can you name the four bonus points? If you also named the years, I'll start you off.
Speaker 3: Gregory Odin, Gregory Gregory, who was the right pick at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we didn't know.
Speaker 4: Ahead, No, everybody agreed who could Uh.
Speaker 3: We also got uh was Michael Thompson, our.
Speaker 1: First Michael Thomas was the number one pick in nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 3: Seventy eight, Yeah, the year after we won the championship, we had the number one pick, and then we couldn't run a back.
Speaker 1: We started like fifty wins with us.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't recall that happened good man. Yeah, and then it so went one just to the south greg Portland, Oregon native, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. Did he go? How's we go?
Speaker 3: I don't know if we went to school.
Speaker 1: There isn't that where Vin Love went?
Speaker 3: Kevin Love went to Lake us We Yeah, yeah, some of those guys working Gratuadson big that's what's called.
Speaker 1: Uh. I don't know if I know the other two, you would know one of them. One of them is Bill Walton. Yeah, yeah, yeah, thank you Bill Walton.
Speaker 3: And then the third one.
Speaker 1: I thought when you were saying he would know the other one, it would be this one.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, because this is one that's on the tip of everyone's mark.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I can't I can't keep track Beau. There's so many people in the crowd, I don't know who.
Speaker 3: Look came back to me. The problem with knowing all of the Blazer's number one picks. I mean Bill Walton worked out right?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah?
Speaker 3: Uh is like anytime, like LaRue Martin and Greg Odner mentioned, it's like in a really like sad Sports Center music package, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Michael Thompson also was the year that Bird was drafted to producer Jabari in a little deep dive, So in case there's not enough shade thrown at the Blazers draft history, Uh, they went with Thompson obviously. I mean he was great, and Bird had decided to play his senior season in Indiana State, and they didn't want to like wait, wait for the Celtic straft him that year, even though he was going to stick around for for another year.
Speaker 1: So you didn't just passed on Jordan. You pasted on Bird.
Speaker 2: Fast for me to think about on the flight home. All right, here we go, all timers. Do you know the all time leader in games played in a Blazer?
Speaker 3: Games played?
Speaker 1: You want some options?
Speaker 3: Let me, uh, is it's not Is it it's not Dame? If it's not Dame it's not is it Jerome Curzy, it's not true. Cliff Robbins, No, it's not Cliff Robins, No, No, who the well, Okay, let me it wouldn't be Clyde, is it Clyde?
Speaker 1: What kept you from thinking that I don't I don't bad.
Speaker 3: Terrible, I'm a stupid guys only been pretending to the advisor fan form online cloud.
Speaker 2: This has been completely nerve racked by the way Clyde. The answer has been Scottie Pippen shout out, Scotty. He's going real hard guy. Yeah, you know, hey, our heart's out there with you.
Speaker 1: Hearts with Jack. Which one you want to ask this next one?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: We could all time leader in three point field.
Speaker 3: Goals Damian Lillard.
Speaker 1: Okay, fine, all time leader in points scored.
Speaker 3: Dammian Lillard?
Speaker 2: All right, all time? Scotti's all right, folks, he figured it out.
Speaker 3: Second freeze is c J already right, that's.
Speaker 1: The s second and threes is c J. Yeah, but like by half yeah yeah, and then Wes Matthews after him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can see the idea has changed.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, reporter, I feel like it was one of the best shooters on NBA jam and he made seven hundred and seventy three total.
Speaker 2: Dame made two seven different times, man different times. All right, should we get into it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's time. It's time eatan carmel. I want to let you know.
Speaker 2: You know, although we are friendly and friends, off the microphone, you have wandered into one of the more violent and dynamic segments at sports podcasting.
Speaker 1: It is called the fourth quarter round of rapid fire questions. Yeah, temperature drop, I felt really cold. WHOA did you see that? This woman just left with her baby because she knew it was gonna get dangerous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the baby's fighting out of her arms. Yeah, it's drawn to it.
Speaker 2: Hey, the kids, No, the kids, the energy because this shows like vap pens you know what I mean, really doing it for you.
Speaker 3: That's for you.
Speaker 2: Okay, but we're here in the fourth quarter a round of rapid fire questions.
Speaker 1: We're going to ask you a question.
Speaker 2: Don't think too quick quickly, just chest pass us the ball right back with your answer. Don't expand upon it, because we like to get through as many questions as quickly as possible, and we want to keep our record attact. So if we start blow viating or expanding we need you to come in interrupt and say, hey, get this thing. And look, you've been on you know, been on TV, You've been in the hot seat before. Yeah, a network broadcast. Yeah okay, uh.
Speaker 1: So I guess we will get into it. Are you ready? I'm ready to Can I start with the first one because I have it? Well, hold on?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you do it?
Speaker 1: Oh wow? Yeah. See, they gotta I gotta get people's attention out there. Literally a lot of people stopped what they were doing and looked over here. You guys, there's a podcast happening over here. Check it out, try and make your way through there.
Speaker 4: We should have opened with Brian start the clock, all right. I have a derivation on the what teams we want to cover? So yeah, we're talking teams we want to cover in the off season. Obviously we have like the Spurs, okay, see Magic Sons, the Rockets, Portland, and the Mavericks so far. You have the opportunity to either add a new team that we should be covering and like paying attention to in the off season, or take one of those teams.
Speaker 3: Off because I have on that list in the list one more time.
Speaker 4: Spurs Wemby Okay, see check, those aren't going anywhere.
Speaker 1: I don't care if you tell us to get rid of them.
Speaker 4: The Magic Suns, Rockets a lot of young pieces Portland Scoot Mavericks.
Speaker 3: I'm ready to get the Rockets out of that.
Speaker 1: I am too. Yeah, did my dirty Yeah? No way? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Why because I think what they did was add kind of not boring but less intriguing players at positions where they had more intriguing players. And Dylan Brooks are going to be less touches for your Jalen Greens, you know, Yeah, I think.
Speaker 1: That's the right answer.
Speaker 2: Let's see you can place any Formers Blazers great on next year's roster, any of them? Which former person he's taking out the time machine and putting in that jersey?
Speaker 1: Bill Walton seventy seven Walton seventy seven? Okay, yeah, yeah, was he good?
Speaker 3: It was really good? He was really good good. I think he would like expand the mind Walton? Did I say, Bill Walt? And then.
Speaker 1: When he was just born in seventy.
Speaker 3: Seven, what Luke Walton's arm tattoo personified playing on our tune? I think you got a seventy seven Bill Walton out there just moving the ball around the offense.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, with the mind expanding, I don't think there's ever been like somebody who was openly like gettingto psychedelics in the league.
Speaker 3: Is criminalized in Portland right now. He would have a different times coming back around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, he has like his best games and areas are like Psilocipin's legalized, like Golden State.
Speaker 1: He's just going off.
Speaker 3: Sean Mayer would be hanging out in Portland all the time. What are you gonna.
Speaker 1: All right? What's your all time Blazer's NBA jam squad?
Speaker 3: Oh my god? Actual people are like who what I put on there? Okay, recency bias? Put Scoot and Chad and Sharp on there right now, just dunk it time. If I have to take recency bias out of it, it's Damian Lillard and Richid Wallaces for.
Speaker 2: I think to add that in NBA Jam to kind of make like NFL Blitz where there's also like unhinged like final defense to But it was like that was one of the best skills you could have. It's just like, you know, check them across, yeah, burn right through somebody. Okay, how about this best NBA city to catch a game in and when you're in that city, what's the best meal you can have?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: I mean, I have to evangelize for Portland, Oregon here, and let me lay out. I'll give you another option after that, but let me lay out the argument Portland, Oregon. Other than I was talking teams. It's a one town. It's a one team town, you know what I mean. Blazer's fans are passionate even when they're bad. You're going to see people who really care about the game, but who for the most part, aren't jerks. And then after the game, you can take yourself to a little restaurant called Canard, which is my favorite restaurant in the world, and get yourself some high end steamburger sliders white Castle, but like high end amazing dessert. The food is fantastic.
Speaker 1: Remember this to us when I was there recently and I did not go, oh yeah, made a.
Speaker 3: Mistake in a Blazers game. You got a whole season in front of you to do.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, And if you didn't have to evangelize for your town, if.
Speaker 3: I didn't have to evangelize for my town, I'm going to say something a little bit sacrilegious right now, go ahead, I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna say, go see a Laker games. Because because of Twitter, I think Laker fans get like a bad rap sometimes because Laker fans just terrible.
Speaker 1: Any group on Twitter is getting a bad rap.
Speaker 3: But if you as a Blazer fan, this again, this hurts for me to say that is say, fantastic fan base. They're great. They like understand the game, they're passionate, they get like they have like in depth smack talk, you know what I mean, Like if you make fun of Sam Perkins or whatever, they're going to understand what that means. Like what Like, they're up for anything. They're smart, they're passionate. And then after that, Oh, what's my favorite restaurant in LA? Right now, you come over to my house and I'll cook you up something on the backyard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll put We'll make sure we have Ian's address in the show description. Guys, so you guys can pull up anytime.
Speaker 1: Okay, literally all.
Speaker 2: Right, if you could add one skill set from a player for a day, what player would it be?
Speaker 1: In? What skill set?
Speaker 3: Any player skill set?
Speaker 1: Like it's like a like mic type situation.
Speaker 3: Will be Aaron Gordon slam doctor.
Speaker 1: Modern day Aaron Gordon, I mean maybe.
Speaker 3: Even like four years ago, like the peak of the slam dunk contest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just three point shooting.
Speaker 3: Friend setting now really, but like especially if it was me and my current body, Yeah yeah, right, all of a sudden, I like walked into a twenty four hour fitness like walked into a game, and cause do that say it like that because.
Speaker 1: Hold on, man, we're about to finish this game up.
Speaker 3: Okay, ok one second though, and then just like go do something like insane though, I think that would right here. Or it's pier Onladipo second voice, and those are.
Speaker 2: The wow beautiful wow, like honey, if you could, okay, how about this, if you if like, of all the highlights that.
Speaker 1: Have occurred in NBA history and basketball history, if you could.
Speaker 2: Embody a player within a highlight and be like, I physically can experience what happened in that moment.
Speaker 1: Is it the same thing now? Is there so biased?
Speaker 3: But it's the bad it's the bad shot. It's not even the Houston one. It's the one over Oklahoma City, just because of everything that happened after that, the arena going crazy, his family being courtside, the team, dog piling on him. Yeah. The meme happening immediately to me. Yeah, yeah, two different memes, three different memes, actually, like three different memes from like one shot. Uh. And that maybe I might actually start crying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, please, I think that.
Speaker 3: Will be it.
Speaker 1: Uh. And finally, and Jack or Miles.
Speaker 3: Oh, I got to pick them to it Jack or Miles. Yeah yeah, oh god, See this is tough. This is tough because Miles, we have a we have a relationship going back. We're friends, friends with your wife. Jack.
Speaker 6: Jack is related to doctor Jack Ramsey namesake. Yeah, I gotta take the ore. Wow, did the diplomatic decisions. But the difference, I mean the listeners, the listeners will respect that Jack.
Speaker 1: And Ill so much. Yeah. Yeah, yeah, we think that's a that's just a bunch of bold, but a good deal.
Speaker 3: Nobody's happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess it is what it is.
Speaker 2: Well, Ian Carmel, thank you so much for joining us for this very rowdy special edition of Miles and jack Man Boost is here.
Speaker 1: I'm an NBA card in Las Vegas. Uh, you got some shows coming up?
Speaker 3: I got When does this come out?
Speaker 1: Next week? Next Thursday?
Speaker 3: If you're in Toronto next week I'm at the Comedy Bar Dan fourth on the fourteen fifty whatever the next week, Yeah, yeah, whatever that is. I'll be at High Planes Comedy Festival in Denver, Colorado. I'll be at Vancouver, BC later this year.
Speaker 1: I'll be all I'm all over the plow right and where do people find you? And and get more info bus.
Speaker 3: At Ian Carmel on Twitter, TikTok, Instagram, everything but your chicktok going up. Oh my god, I got four thousand followers. I lost an NBA like conspiracy theories take in front of my old box.
Speaker 2: We never told an the Dame conspiracy theory about this st Yeah, we gotta do it real quick now, we got to get it in. Yeah, Okay, we were talking before this was I saw this on Reddit that a lot of people were talking. This is obviously a joke, but they're saying the real reason why he wants to leave Portland and go to Miami is that he's afraid of statue. He has a documented fear of statues, and that the theory goes that if he stays in Portland too long, that man is getting a statue. Yeah, so he to avoid becoming the thing he most fears. The most efficient way to solve this is to be tried to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, buy it.
Speaker 3: This makes a lot of sense to me.
Speaker 1: Rather rather do that. This makes a lot of sense to me. It's kind of the only thing that makes sense if you look at the history important.
Speaker 3: Recently too, they've been going around tearing down statues, you know what I mean, knowing Damian Lillard's afraid of that.
Speaker 5: So yeah, yeah, yeah, Well, you can follow us on Twitter. Check out the hashtag man boost E's b double O S t I E S. You can find me on Twitter at Miles of Gray.
Speaker 1: I'm on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien. Yeah, and that's been this very wonderful Rockets edition. Smile Jack Off.
Speaker 3: Did I do a good job? Tell me did a good job?
Speaker 1: You can yourself
Speaker 2: An Usher Music, Hersha Music