Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our two.
Speaker 2: On this Tuesday, Dan and The Dan Nuts, Dan Patrick Show, Brady Versus Belichick.
Speaker 3: New book out.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to the author, Gary Myers, been covering the NFL for over forty years. Merchandise store Big Hit. Thank you for shopping. Go to Danpatrick dot com. It's open for business. Got some new gear and we're finishing up the calendar. We were taking some pictures yesterday. It'll be ready in time for the holidays. Stat of the Day has always brought you by Panini America, the official trading cards of this program. From the crew that brought you The Office, comes a new comedy of underdogs with major issues. The paper streaming now only on Peacock, which is where you can see this show. Thank you for downloading the app. We say good morning to our radio affiliates as well. Dean Blandino, the head of Fox They're a rules official, former head of officials for the NFL. He'll join us coming up in an hour from now. We'll talk about the Tush push because in a moment of frustration trying to look at this and he was on the call with the Eagles and the Chiefs. He said, I give up. I don't know how you officiate this. We'll talk to him about that. And is that reason enough for two more owners to say they don't want the Tush push and they'll vote against it because it was two votes away from being tabled, Well, it was table. Bit, it was two votes away from being eliminated from the NFL. That will happen in an hour from now. Let's see eight seven seven three DP show operator Tyler. He's sitting by. He'll take your phone calls. Pull question for the second hour. Actually, let's clean up first hour poll questions and then go down hour two.
Speaker 3: Seaton.
Speaker 4: Yeah, first hour we kind of pivoted a little bit. Who's more super bowlish, the Buccaneers or the Chargers. Right now, the Chargers have sixty seven percent of that vote, which is the opposite of the way I think the room thought.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just think an easier path for Tampa Bay. I have to factor that in. They have been consistent the last what four years?
Speaker 3: Five years?
Speaker 2: They won their division, and I mean they won a game last night that I didn't think they were going to hanged up offensive line, but Baker Mayfield did a great job leading the team down to victory, and here is Baker after the game.
Speaker 5: In these two minute close games, we were not on the right side of things for the past couple of years, and it's good to see that we haven't even played close to our best ball in all three phases and we're still finding ways to win on the road.
Speaker 3: And that's that's really important.
Speaker 5: It is to not out loose side of that we're finding ways to win, but also we do need to get things fixed.
Speaker 3: Some of these games can make it.
Speaker 5: Easier on ourselves and try and put the teams away earlier. But this is a good team that we played, so it's we expected a hard fought battle. But yeah, it's nice to be on the right side of it.
Speaker 2: Fifth consecutive beer two Sampas open up the season, two and oh longest active streak in the NFL.
Speaker 3: What other pole questions putting up there right now?
Speaker 4: The AFC team that two and oh that won't make the playoffs?
Speaker 3: Your options?
Speaker 4: They're Bill's Chargers, Bengals, Colts two and oh team that won't make the playoffs from the AFC.
Speaker 3: I'll say the Bengals there.
Speaker 2: I do believe in the Colts. I mean the Colts could have made the playoffs last year. I think it's a talented team. I know we want to look at Daniel Jones and say you're not going to make the playoffs with him.
Speaker 3: I think he just has to do enough.
Speaker 2: You got a really good running back, you got skilled position, and I think they're sneaking now. I'm not saying they're a great team or boy they're going to be dangerous in the postseason, but I do think they have a playoff caliber roster.
Speaker 3: Yes, Tod, And how do.
Speaker 6: You score on your first ten possessions of the season. I find that amazing that they got at least a field goal the first ten times they touched the ball.
Speaker 2: Well, it also helped they were playing against the Broncos this weekend. By the way, Todd gets a pie to the face at the end of the show that I do.
Speaker 3: I don't know what kind of pie. I left that up to the back room guys.
Speaker 2: Unless you requested something after your Broncos lost to thee I did not.
Speaker 6: I'm just going to let it randomly find out later on what it is.
Speaker 2: Dylan just sent me the Super Bowl odds for the Chargers and the Buccaneers after last night. Who do you think has better Super Bowl odds? This according to DraftKings, if you said the Chargers, you would be right plus sixteen hundred, the Buccaneers plus two thousand.
Speaker 3: Whoa stand of a day? Stanta day, Statuta day, stand outa day.
Speaker 7: This is the stele of the day.
Speaker 2: A lot of chattered today about Tom Brady being in the coaches booth last night with the Raiders lost. They're not even hiding. I mean it's right there, like Tom part owner, and you're allowed to sit in there and help Chip Kelly and his staff. Albert Breer, Monday Morning Quarterback sent out a tweet. People think of just the strategic stuff, but it goes deeper than that. You can also gather pertinent detail on players in production meetings to inform free agent signings and trades, or figure out who the key assistant coaches are and try to poach them. Lots of layers to this. With Tom Brady and his role at Fox and as a minority owner of the Raiders, James Palmer, he says that Tom Brady meets with Chip Kelly two to three times a week to go over film and go through the game plan and every weekend, Brady is calling a game for Fox, gathering as much information as possible from players and coaches from both teams to be at his best in the broadcast booth period. Got it, snarky? Got it, yeah, Paulie.
Speaker 8: Tom Brady earlier in the day yesterday announced a partnership with Fanatics to play a flag football game in Saudi Arabia next March. That was the second most controversial thing.
Speaker 3: He did.
Speaker 8: Think about that per a second.
Speaker 2: Once again, it's apparently not a conflict of interest, and uh well, I might have a problem with it, but you know, I'm one voice. I just don't like the look of it. And if the owners are okay, quietly okay with this, maybe they're not, I wouldn't be. But I just can't imagine if I'm Ben Johnson and I'm the Bears head coach and we play the Raiders the following week and Tom is going to be calling our game this week?
Speaker 3: How forthcoming am I going to be? Or can I be? Should I be? Yeah, Paulie.
Speaker 8: And that's another competitive advantage, Like the Bears now have to go into a production meeting and they need every bit of help they can get. Thinking about how they attack that production meeting instead of walking in, giving a few lines to the production team and the announcers and walking out. Now they have to adjust what they're doing for Tom.
Speaker 2: I haven't been in those production meetings. All I know is football night in America. Rodney and Tony would go in and they would they would have information. They were told things, but they were told things that we don't want you to tell anybody anything. It was embargoed. You don't tweet them out. This was something that you would be using if you were calling a game, they would give you this information. Hey, third down and long, what's your philosophy? You know that jet jet sweep? You know, explain what your philosophy is with that. Hey, hey, this player, why are you only using him this much? Who's the guy who's really surprising you on? Like I mean, there's all these questions that you would ask, But then what you say, You've put a team in a delicate predicament. But also fox in doing the game because Tom has to get this information. Now. Granted, he's smart enough to know certain things, but I can only tell you from what guys that I work with would tell you or tell me when they got back from these meetings. The coaches love to tell you something, Hey, watch for this, and you were embargoed. You couldn't use it.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 2: It was one of those unspoken hey, I'll tell you stuff, but only use it during the game because you don't want the opponent to go, oh, did you see what such and such tweeted out or just told you know whoever you know you got. They give you information, They love to talk. They love to talk to each other's language. Hey, when they do that too, safety and then bothera da d about it. And then you know, Jimmy Lipper goes banana white, you know, scooty scooty, and then you're like, that's a tough play stop though you have banana y scooty scooting. Yeah on one, sure thing, yeah pulling.
Speaker 8: But you'll hear this a lot and not even know you're hearing it, especially with someone like Kirk kirk Street during college games. I talked to Brenton Venables the other day. When you hear him mentioning assistant coaches and coordinators and saying, they're really looking to this this that's Kirk's pregame prep and all these guys do this. But you hear it during the game.
Speaker 2: Specifically, let's see Sean in Florida. Hi, Sean, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Good morning Dan? First and foremost, so I want to give a quick Tampa Bay. Baker Mayfeld and the Boys balled out last night. I want to say my six held daughters are biggest fans. She's home six today. She compelled me to call Dan as the boys Stephen wore her. I'm trying my best at the field day last year was amazing. A quick question, maybe a poll question. Is there a better clutch quarterback than Baker.
Speaker 9: Mayfield right now?
Speaker 10: I think he leads the league and fourth quarter comebacks moment.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Sean. I hope your daughter feels better today. I'd still lean with Patrick Mahomes being clutch. I like what I see, but I've always liked what I saw with Baker Mayfield. You know, he had a chip, he has a chip on his shoulder and somehow, some way he's going to find a way to beat you. And he did that in college. I mean, he got kicked to the curb in a couple of places in the NFL, and then all of a sudden, who was he going at Kyle Trask that was his competition I think with Tampa.
Speaker 3: Does that sound right, yes, Marvin, Yeah.
Speaker 11: I felt bad for Baker going early in his career because he kind of had the arch Manning thing where he was a rookie and he had all these commercials.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, what ended up happening with I think Odell Beckham was the turning point where he tried to play Kate and try to you.
Speaker 3: Know, force the football to him. Definitely, he did what those progressive commercials. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Paul Baker's third year in the league with Cleveland, he was eleven and five as a starter, twenty six touchdowns, eight picks. They did not give him the big contract after year three. If they would have, they would have had him for four or five more years. They pushed it back and that next season is when he started getting injured. Seventeen touchdowns, thirteen picks, and they didn't have to sign him, which they should have.
Speaker 3: PAULI has a quick NFL game. Here we go.
Speaker 8: You mentioned Brandon Aubrey, the star kicker for the Cowboys. He only makes He's making under one million dollars this year. He's the second lowest paid kicker in the entire NFL.
Speaker 3: This season.
Speaker 12: Wow.
Speaker 2: Who He's a restricted free agent, right, so he can go out and get offers and then the Cowboys have the final say if they want to match.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 8: Okay, who is the highest paid kicker in the league this season? And how much does that person make this season?
Speaker 3: And you want to take you see on a roster? Yes?
Speaker 8: Oh, yes, oh, I know what you're saying. That's that's well done by you. But not justin Tucker. He would have been third highest paid this year.
Speaker 11: Okay, Marvin Harrison, Butker at maybe five and a half.
Speaker 8: Anyone else want to guess?
Speaker 3: I was going to say Harrison, Bucker.
Speaker 8: Harrison, Butker is correct. Highest paid kicker? Who wants to guess his current salary?
Speaker 3: I think he just signed that in the off season. Yeah, I think so, sure he did. Yeah. Uh five point two million, six point four million dollars four million?
Speaker 9: Wow.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there are ten different kickers in the league making over four million dollars a year.
Speaker 3: Dang, dang, dang, that's the entire game. Oh that's it.
Speaker 2: Oh, well, congratulations, all right, you guys want to play dang next?
Speaker 3: Dan Paul says something and we all just go.
Speaker 2: Dang Madden Rawley, I Matt, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 12: Hey?
Speaker 1: How we going?
Speaker 13: Dan?
Speaker 12: Guys?
Speaker 14: So you know, I heard you all discussing earlier about the NFL schedule and someone brought up possibly having a bye week. My thought would be, we could kind of do what every other sport's doing and they could have a all star break somewhere around week twelve or thirteen, which would fall the week before Thanksgiving for the players. That would be great for the owners. Now you've opened up not only all day on Thursday and Friday, You've also now opened up Wednesday night doubleheader. What would be your Monday night football? I feel like that would be huge, give them more time to own the entire Thanksgiving time off. Just wondering what you think about that and bro hug back growth.
Speaker 3: Now, what you're saying is you would have games over Thanksgiving.
Speaker 14: Yes, the week before would be your bye week, So that's Sunday.
Speaker 3: Will be everybody's all. They don't want to give up a weekend.
Speaker 2: They don't want to give I mean, there's too much momentum that you're going to go in no football over the weekend.
Speaker 3: I understand what you're saying.
Speaker 2: To own Thanksgiving weekend, they own Thanksgiving weekend anyway.
Speaker 14: How they can own Wednesday as well.
Speaker 2: I think they'd rather own Sunday than the following Wednesday.
Speaker 3: But thank you man.
Speaker 8: Yes, Paul, I got to tell you, I didn't really enjoy the Monday night football doubleheader, and I don't think I enjoy them. I'm too conditioned. I think we're too conditioned for that eight o'clock Eastern and whatever times on your end Monday night football. It hits you too early on the front end and hits you too late on the back end, so you're really forced to watch parts of both games.
Speaker 3: They don't care about us, right, but.
Speaker 2: There's three more of these on Monday nights. Then you have a Saturday night one at the end of the season.
Speaker 3: They don't.
Speaker 2: They're like, we want to playcate both time zones East Coast, West Coast. That's all they care about. Larry and Michigan.
Speaker 12: Hi, Larry, thanks for the call.
Speaker 9: Dan.
Speaker 12: About three moments from the Lions that just stood out. First, I'm on ra beautiful game, but the first or second he did the fake hamstring intry as a celebration. I'm too old for that crap. I was like, we went through ashing, no, no, come on, man. The second thing was Teslaw or Teslaw, the rookie that they drafted this year. He's got two catches. The first catch incredible one handed touchdown catch in the first game, and then the second game another just gets one catch, another incredible one handed get catch at the end of the first half, which leads me to my third point, which was when Ben Johnson thought that they got away without giving the Lions a score. It's like, come on, gods, let's get out of here. And they're running off the field and then you see the Lions players called come back, boys, come back, and then we got our touchdown there and topped them with fifty two. That was sweet.
Speaker 2: Larry, Just don't do that fake injury stuff because Larry's too old for that junk.
Speaker 3: Don't you do that. Yeah, Paul the.
Speaker 8: Wide receiver's referring to for the Lions as Isaac Tesla. He played at Arkansas a little bit and he's had two catches on the season. They're both one handers.
Speaker 3: Let's take break.
Speaker 2: Gary Myers wrote the book on Brady Versus Belichick. It's a new book out. We'll talk to him about that relationship and get his thoughts on some other NFL things as well well.
Speaker 3: Take a break back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 7: Hey it's me Rob Parker. Check out my weekly MLB podcast, Inside the Parker for twenty two minutes of piping hot baseball talk, featuring the biggest names of newsmakers in the sport. Whether you believe in analytics or the I tast We've got all the bases covered. New episodes drop every Thursday, So do your sofa favor and listen to Inside the Parker with Rob Parker on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: More phone calls coming up. Dean Blandino, Fox Rules analyst, former head of a Fish says he's done with the tush push. He says, you can't officiate it. And I don't know if saying that maybe opens the door to get rid of the tush push, because they keep waiting for injury data and they don't have that data. And I don't know if you can get rid of a rule by saying, hey, somebody's really going to get hurt.
Speaker 3: One day.
Speaker 2: That's the sport. Somebody's really going to get hurt one day. We usually wait until somebody does. But that might be the opening where Dean Blandino says, or these officials say, we can't call this. It would help if they called maybe the Eagles guards jumping off sides a little bit. But then there's the neutral zone and how you spot the football kind of a mess. Gary Myers, New York Times best selling author. He wrote Brady Versus Manning, the untold story of the rivalry that transformed the NFL, and his new book released today, Brady Versus Belichick, The Dynasty Debate. And he's been covering the NFL for over forty years. Gary, good to see you again. Let me start with Tom Brady in the booth last night. You as a long time journalist, scribe any problems conflict of interest with Brady in the coaches booth last night?
Speaker 15: Oh? How can we think it's a conflict of interest Because he's working on a network that covers the Raiders, the Bears, the Cowboys, whatever, and then he's sitting in the booth. This is just a horrible, horrible look for the NFL, and they need to do something about it. I mean, they approved him as an owner knowing he was working for Fox, so and they scaled back to restrictions this year. But Tom should have known better than to be so public last night, to be sitting in the booth with us, the headphones on, He's talking to Chip Kelly two three times a week, you know, okay, fine, But to be on national TV looking like you're calling in plays even though I'm sure he wasn't. What a horrible conflict of interest. And it's just such a bad look for the NFL.
Speaker 2: You know, knowing Brady doing Brady versus Manning, Brady versus Belichick. Tom's extremely competitive. Tom's not there for a ceremonial. I own part of the team. Tom would love nothing better than to be on that podium hosting a Lombardi Trophy as an owner.
Speaker 15: There's no question. And just think of this, and I know you've already discussed this, But so Tom's got the Bears and the Cowboys this week, and then in two weeks the Raiders are playing the Bears. So you don't think the information he gathers covering the Bears. And I know they don't let him in the facility anymore. Oh, they'll let him in the facility still. But he's taking part in the production meetings virtually, so he's able to ask questions. And you know he's a smart guy. He's asking good questions.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 15: You hope the coaches and the players are smart enough not to give him anything too inside. But if anybody doesn't, think he's running back to Pete, Carolyn and Chip Kelly or who else and telling him what he found out. I mean, he's an honorable guy and I like him a lot, but we can't give him too much credit here for keeping things to himself.
Speaker 2: The book is Brady Versus Belichick, the dynasty debate. What led you to your conclusion of who has or who was more important in that dynasty?
Speaker 15: Well, I think, first of all, I don't take into consideration anything that happened after Brady left, So I don't count the Tampa Super Bowl and Belichick struggling. I don't count Belichick struggling before Brady took over in New England because to me, it's irrelevant. The important part of this debate is who gets the credit for what they accomplished together, And I give a lot of credit to Belichick one for drafting Brady even though it was only the sixth round. If he knew he's gonna be great, Danny would have taken him in the first round. But that first Super Bowl was you know, until Brady's last drive on the winning field goal. That season and that Super Bowl was all Belichick, both with defense and running the ball. And then as you know they're going they beat the Panthers in a really high scoring game. I think that was like a fifty to fifty. And then they beat the Eagles and that was more of a defensive game. It wasn't really high scoring. So I think the early part of the dynasty was really Belichick. And I think the turning point of it was in the seventh season, when Tom throws fifty touchdowns, they go sixteen and zero, come within some Velkrol and David Tyree's helmets from winning that Super Bowl and being remembered as the greatest singles team, greatest single season team in NFL history. I think that's when we realized, you know, not only is Brady better than Peyton Manning, but he's closing it on Joe Montana. At that point, I still wouldn't have said he was better than Joe when he won the fourth Super Bowl, and they were ten years apart between the third and fourth. That's when I think the second half of the dynasty. I think was almost entirely Brady, but because Belichick was so influential in the first half, it doesn't even it out, but it makes the gap a little less.
Speaker 2: But people players will have told me they wanted to play with Brady. They didn't want to go play for Belichick, but they wanted to play with Brady because Brady was going to take him to the playoffs. You get extra paychecks and you may win a Super Bowl. I three players who played for them said that they went there because Tom was the quarterback there. I don't know how much that tips the scales here, but they were going because they knew they had the best quarterback in the game.
Speaker 15: Well, I think that obviously had a lot to do with it. But one of the players told me that the reason that they put up with all Belichick's nonsense is because he knew They knew he knew how to win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he's.
Speaker 15: Winning super Bowls and ultimately that's all players really care about in the end. Well, two things they care about, getting paid and winning Super Bowls. And if you win Super Bowls, you get get paid, not necessarily by the Patriots, but become more attractive as a free agent because you know, the Super Bowl champions always get picked apart in free agency. So Belichick was good of their bank accounts, even though if they didn't necessarily like to play for him.
Speaker 2: You also look at the relationship between Brady and Joe Montana and I didn't know that it was fractured, ordn't I'll put it. Let you put it into your words of where is that or where was that relationship? Because I think you allude to it. It's better now, but there was a time when it wasn't good.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I mean what happened. You know, Joe still lives in the Bay Area. Tom is from San Mateo, which isn't far from where Joe lives. Joe and then Steve Young with Tom's heroes growing up. They had a mutual friend who worked for the Golden State Warriors, who called Montana after Tom on his first Super Bowl and said, hey, you know Tom loves you. Can you have lunch with him? So they had lunch at Joe's house and Joe thought this would be a nice situation. He wasn't looking to be Tom's mentor, but he thought it was gonna be a nice relationship where, you know, he knew that Tom up to him. Well. Joe told me that in the succeeding year is the only time he heard from Brady was when Tom broke one of Joe's records. He said, ah, got another one of your records, And Joe said he could have dealt with that if at the same time, Tom was texting him every now and then say Hey, Joe, how you doing, I'm gonna be in town, Let's get together, that kind of stuff. But that didn't happen. And Joe, I don't know how well you know Joe Dan, but he's a great guy. He's really humble for all those accomplishments, He's really a humble guy. He never cared about stats. He just cared about winning and was curious why Brady was so hung up on breaking his records. They I think they smoothed things out a little bit at some of these, you know, one hundred year anniversary celebrations that the NFL had, and when they had all the MVPs together, they talked a little bit. But you know, I think Joe's the kind of guy who hold somewhat of a grudge, and I don't think I'll ever forget that he felt well disrespected by Tom, which which really surprised me because I don't look at Tom as that kind of guy. But you know, everybody has their own experience with him, and that's what was Joe's experience.
Speaker 2: Gary Myers, New York Times best selling author the book released today, Brady versus Belichick, The Dynasty Debate. I interviewed Tom before the Super Bowl against the Eagles, and at one point I said, do you think you and Belichick will ever sit down and kind of open up the scrap book and, you know.
Speaker 3: Walk down memory lane.
Speaker 2: He goes, no, because that's that's not our relationship, right. Why it's Bill. Bill's not capable of having that. You know, let's have more than a coach player relationship.
Speaker 15: I think that he's capable of having it when the player is no longer playing from him and retires, because he has a really good relationship with guys like Carl Banks and Lawrence Taylor and Phil Simms. It wasn't that Now. He was never coached Simms directly, but he wasn't. He doesn't allow himself to get close to players, because he knows, for the most part, unless the guy retires on his own, it's going to end poorly. So he doesn't want to develop that real close personal relationship.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 15: I think his relationship with Brady is better today than it ever has been, even during his playing career over the five years or so that they were separated. But I think today they've come to appreciate what they meant to each other. But I know what I did to Brady Manning book. I said to Tom. It was kind of the same question you asked him. I said, you're sitting there on Tuesday night at ten o'clock. You're going over the game plan, which they did every Tuesday night. I said, they havena say hey, we've been great for each other, and that point they had won three Super Bowls. You know, do you ever reminisce, well, you know, this is amazing what we're doing and it's not over yet. Would you ever say, hey, there's not much to do in Foxborough, but I know a good place up the road and get a pizza and share a pitcher of beard.
Speaker 12: You ever do?
Speaker 15: That? Never came up in conversation, And now I don't know what's happened in the last couple of years since they're both away from New England. But I know from the time while Brady was still in New England and Tom was in Tampa and then left Tampa, that that never occurred. And I think Tom's father is much more outspoken than Tom is himself about what the relationship is and how he felt, you know, his son was disrespected all those years in New England by Belichick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just a weird dynamic.
Speaker 2: But I always whenever anybody asked me about it, I always sided with Brady because he had to go out and do it. And Bill was a defensive minded head coach, so how much he was involved in the offense, I mean that was Tom and he did you know, he did have you know, offensive coordinators there to help him. But I still leaned towards Tom. That Bill can tell you or his assistants can tell you. Tom had to go out and do it. And whether anybody's keeping score it. It's not like Lebron and Jordan, but I think there is still the who is more important the coach or the star player in any sport.
Speaker 15: No, I agree with you, but as far as the offensive input that Belichick had. Remember in two thousand and one, Dick Raybne, who is a Patriots quarterback coach, and he was the one who was most responsible for Belichick drafting Brady. He wanted to take him in the third or fourth round. Well, Dick Raybne passed away right at the beginning of training camp in oh one and Belichick did not hire another quarterback coach. Charlie Weiss was the offensive coordinator, but rayvind is the one who worked most closely with Brady. Belichick became the de facto quarterback coach. He sat in on a lot of meetings with Brady and Weiss. He had a lot of meetings by himself with Brady, and what he would do would give Brady the perspective of the defensive coach and how to attack a defense. He was really instrumental in Brady's development as a quarterback because of Belichick's knowledge about defense. And Belichick did become like Parcels before him. They did become good offensive coaches. Now they were still known as being brilliant defensive coaches, but they became all around coaches. So I think that Belichick's influence on Brady early on was much greater than anybody remembers. And I point that out in the book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's a great point. Yeah, before I let you go. Yeah, do you think North Carolina is Belichick's last stop?
Speaker 12: Yes?
Speaker 15: I don't think he'll get hired in the NFL again. I was surprised he didn't get hired in the first hiring cycle after he was fired in New England. We know it came close in Atlanta, and weather Craft put the kabash on that.
Speaker 3: I don't know how would he have done that, Gary, Well.
Speaker 12: He would.
Speaker 15: He would have called Arthur Blank and said, you don't want you don't want this. I mean, this is what he's going to do to your organization, Dan, that's owners were calling Craft about in two thousand for your own mental health, don't hire this guy, right, And I wouldn't be like, listen, did Craft do that with Blank? That's what a lot of people are saying. I don't know that personally.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 15: The second time, Belichick wanted into the NFL so badly that he called it intermediary with the Jets, who had an influence on the hiring process, and he called him and said, I'm interested in the Jets job. You think she'd rather be a sanitation worker, And I'm not putting the sanitation workers down, but we'll go working as a cook in a kitchen before you ever want to go to the Jets, considering the history, but he said, I want that job. And after the guy finished laughing, he said, they're not going to hire you. There's nobody who's going to hire Belichick. Now, the twenty four year old girlfriend that think has something to do. No owner wants a part of that. And having to explain that, I think Caroline is his last job. Whether he's going to be successful there or not, is just it's a question of whether he can master the nil and the transfer portal and get himself a quarterback. You can't win without a quarterback at any level.
Speaker 3: He needs to Tom Brady.
Speaker 15: He does, and maybe he can find somebody in the transfer portal and see something in him that nobody sees, because he obviously saw a little something in Brady that he just invested a six round picking him.
Speaker 1: But I want to before we.
Speaker 15: Say he's a genius for taking him, just remember he took six other players in that draft before he drafted Brady, including a defensive back. There nobody has ever heard of since in the sixth round before he took Brady. So if he knew he was going to be anything to what he turned, if he even thought he was going to be a starter in the league, he would have taken him before the sixth round.
Speaker 3: Good luck with the book. Gary, Good to connect with you again.
Speaker 15: Yeah, Dan, thanks for having me on. It's great to see it.
Speaker 2: Gary Meyer is New York Times best selling author. He wrote Brady Versus Manning and the new book is Brady Versus Belichick The Dynasty Debate. Garry's been covering the league over four years. All right, we'll take a break. Phone calls coming up, Ah, seven to seven to three DP show. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. Paulie has a football question for the room.
Speaker 8: Okay, the big Tom Brady story about conflict of interest and his next game on Fox is Bears Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Correct. I believe so. So later this week.
Speaker 8: The Fox team with Tom Brady would have some type of production meeting with both the Cowboys, staff and the Bears staff, and then the Bears play the Raiders the following week. If the Bears or any team, if the Bears coaching staff refused to have a production meeting with Tom Brady, how would that go over.
Speaker 3: With people like us?
Speaker 8: Would the Bears be seemed as petty or would be like Tom's getting what he deserves or the NFL is getting what they deserve.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't blame the Bears if they said, now they won't completely out him out. I would just say, upfront, you know, Tom, we're going to be very limited in what we're going to tell you. But if you said they're not going to participate, then all right. I don't have any problem with that. I wouldn't want to give him in. I'm not going to give him information. I'm sorry, I'm not helping your broadcasting career. We have to win football games here, and you're the Bears, you're zero and two, you got a new coach, and all of a sudden, you're going to.
Speaker 3: Go they Tom, come on in. Yeah. See'd be awesome.
Speaker 4: Though, if Kevin Burkhardt had all the information and he was the one calling the players, you know, Tom, I think what they like to do here on third down is a little uh.
Speaker 2: And then he goes to you know, the Raiders to help Tom. Yeah, Tom brings in Kevin Burkhard Kevin, come on in and download everybody on what you learn from the Bears.
Speaker 6: Yes, not only would that not be petty to me either of the Bears. I think every other team should follow suit the rest of the year until the NFL wakes up and figures out that this is in fact the conflict of interest in this can't continue endlessly while he's a Foxborg game.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you, Tom.
Speaker 2: I'm not sharing information, just not going to do that. I mean, we're on the Raiders' schedule. I can't doesn't make any sense. But the NFL and the owners Fox, they put themselves in this position. You heard Gary Myers, who's been around the NFL for forty years, and you can tell you can tell where his feelings were. He didn't mince words that this is a terrible look. It just is whether if anybody has a problem with it publicly, it feels like privately they're going to be teams executives they are going to have a problem with this.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Pull The funny thing though, if the NFL wanted to do anything right now, I don't think they can. This is an unfixable problem. They can't remove him as an owner before next week, and they can't sideline him from Fox.
Speaker 2: H John in North Carolina, Hi, John, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 14: You know, I don't really have that much problem with Tom being up in the booth.
Speaker 9: I can see Jerry Jones doing that.
Speaker 13: If I see them on the sideline checking the pressure of the footballs, then I've got.
Speaker 2: An issue, all right, George and Louisiana. Hi, Georgia.
Speaker 9: First time Carler just retired, got near replacement surgery. And I watch you every morning on Peacock. All right. I don't know if anybody's seen this the other day, but the Clemson Georgia Tech game toward the end of the game was a call under review. They want the referee put his hadst on. Then they had another camera shot to the people in the booth with their microphones on talking to the referee, and I'm like, I've never seen this before, and like my head's to the TV, like what they talking about?
Speaker 12: You know?
Speaker 9: And I was wondering, is this the two things? Is this the first time? This is have y'all seen this before, and asked Ian Blandino why they don't do this in the NFL. I think it would be great TV instead of showing a picture of the coaches, the players, the fans. I want to hear what they talking about in that No.
Speaker 2: I've been talking about this for years when they had the review on the field, I want I want that official's microphone on. I want to know what they're seeing. I'm sorry, it's got to be transparency here. I want to know what you're seeing, what you saw, what you didn't see. And if you're going to get help from upstairs, great. If the goal is to get the call right, then get the call right. If it's hey, we don't want to seem like we need help from up above, and I think that leads to some problems on the field.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Pony, the ACC Conference is doing this currently this year. They're letting you hear what's being discussed in the repaid replay booth.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I've been saying it for years. Let us hear. I'm fine with it, got nothing to hide. Let us hear. Let's see George in Virginia. Hey, George, Dan, how are you good.
Speaker 13: I haven't talked to you since the family coaching session I had for you guys a while back. Congratulations on the w Thank you. I wanted to just chat about the Belichick pretty thing. So where does Josh McDaniels fit into all this? It seems to me like, obviously we know, not successful as a head coach, but he seems like he was a key part of all of those rings. But he doesn't get any love.
Speaker 15: I'm just trying to.
Speaker 13: Understand where he fits in because I think taking Welker and Amadola and some of these sort of second tier players and making them stars has to be a little bit about his scheme.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know the book is called Brady Versus Belichick, not Brady versus Belichick versus McDaniels. I mean, Josh did a great job. Wasn't head coach material, But yeah, I'm sure Tom would say. Tom might even say that he had more to do with his development, maybe later in his career, than build it. But as Gary Myers pointed out, Bill was helping him understand from a defensive perspective, I'm going to give you the defensive look, and then you as a quarterback, this will help you develop and It's a great point that he made there. Andy and Grand Rapids.
Speaker 3: Hi, Andy, Hey Dan, how are we doing today? Good? Good? Good?
Speaker 13: Heay first time forever time five ten two five.
Speaker 16: I'm a lifelong Titan fans, and now I'll never understand why they fired Rabel. But I've been saying all year that I'm convinced that they're going to be back to back number one.
Speaker 13: Overall picks this year.
Speaker 16: This is the first time that happened since two thousand with the Browns. I'm hoping for an update from you guys about going to nordamee USC because I'd love to make a pile of face that assuming I could pie one.
Speaker 3: Of you or you guys pie me, and what's the bet?
Speaker 16: The bet would be that the Titans don't win a game before you guys go to that to the USC dar Dame game.
Speaker 3: I'd have to look at the schedule there. Andy.
Speaker 16: Of course, I don't have it in front of me because I'm at work hiding in a closet right now.
Speaker 2: I'm at work too, and I don't have it in front of me. I normally carry the Titans schedule. I have that in my wallet web chart. Yes, I have it in my wallet.
Speaker 3: Say when's the Notre Dame game October?
Speaker 4: So then the Titans have the cults, uh, Texans, Cardinals, Raiders.
Speaker 3: M that's a little choppy.
Speaker 4: I don't know, some semi munchie.
Speaker 2: I have to give that some thought. Two hours in the books, one more to go. We're talking the tush push coming up top of the hour.