Speaker 1: Hey there, fan Rito's welcome back to a brand new episode of.
Speaker 2: How Rude Tanitos, Brand new episode, same old boy.
Speaker 1: So today we're back with another t GIF recap, and this time we're watching the Family Matters pilot.
Speaker 2: I love watching these pilots. I'm loving this series. You know that we're like, this is great.
Speaker 3: We've made shows.
Speaker 1: Before, so it's just so cool to see other shows that we're on the same time or similar time to Full House.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I dig it.
Speaker 2: So neither Jody and I have seen this pilot.
Speaker 3: I've never never watched an episode of Family.
Speaker 1: Matter same same this time. This show is a little reminiscent of a certain sitcom that we are very familiar with. So let's get into it. We did this with Boy Meets World a few weeks ago. We watched the pilot and had a lot of feelings. Very cute, very cute, But yeah, boy was a great I had some mixed feelings about that, but I liked it. So did you come into this having high expectations for Family Matters? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think you know.
Speaker 2: I always try to kind of temper my expectations for a pilot because you know, you're like I'm not. I'm not going to judge it based on what I know the show to become, you know what I mean, You're like you kind of got to give pilots like the the benefit of the doubt because you're like work, everybody's trying to find the find your way took.
Speaker 1: I mean, how's a while to find its way, you know.
Speaker 2: I will say I think our pilot was one of the best pilots that I've seen, hands down, ten out of ten, ten out of ten.
Speaker 3: Especially for a sitcom.
Speaker 1: I know, I and I agree with you. I mean, I don't know, I fair I would agree with us, but I agree with you.
Speaker 2: And I'm not saying that just because I like, you know, because it's Full House, But I really do think like it was just it was a great It was a great pilot.
Speaker 3: This one felt a little more.
Speaker 2: Not exponential, but uh explanatory exposition word, yes, exposition y expositioning. It was just an official which is an official word in the Merriam Webster Dictionary, right next to six seven.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I went into this with high expectations because this show premiered exactly a year after Full House premiered, right, was.
Speaker 2: A year or two years later. It was two years. Okay, this start.
Speaker 3: Came about in eighty nine and we were.
Speaker 1: We were eighty seven. That's right.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's two years.
Speaker 1: But I think I am looking at it through the lens of oh, this is family matters, the massive hit that went on for nine seasons. So I had high expectations, but maybe I should have tempered them a little bit, because as like you said, you know, gives gifts pilots some grace to kind of find their footing and introduce the characters.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I thought it was a solid pilot, but it did feel like it felt very much like a sitcom. And I understand that I.
Speaker 3: Know exactly what you mean.
Speaker 1: It's yes, yes, when I watched The House, it doesn't feel like a sitcom to me, and maybe it's because we're watching like home movies.
Speaker 2: But when I watch sometimes it does. But I think there was well, we'll get into it, but there was definitely moments where I was like, you're at a twelve, just turn it. It felt very it felt very cheesy sitcoming.
Speaker 1: I very much noticed, like the last laughter.
Speaker 2: I will say that I think as ridiculous as our show is, the we played the characters as grounded as they could.
Speaker 3: Be, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: That didn't feel like.
Speaker 3: Like a caricature.
Speaker 2: It was like, this was just Danny Tanner who likes everything clean and you know, is actually cleaning the leaves in the backyard. Didn't feel like I don't know, maybe that's maybe it's just us, but it did feel I get what you're saying. Let's let's let's get we'll get into it before we get into it.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll get into it. Yeah, okay. So in many ways, full house and family matters are the same. Uh, And so what are some more obvious similarities that you noticed as you were watching the pilot.
Speaker 2: Well, you've got a disruption in the family.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, someone's moving in.
Speaker 2: Someone's moving in, and right too that that upsets the balance.
Speaker 3: And also you have the.
Speaker 2: Sister there with the baby because her husband died. Yeah, got a dead spouse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: Well, because you got to kill them off, I guess in the eighties you can't just have them be like, oh, they left me like it doesn't you know, I mean you're like, no, that's just what.
Speaker 3: We do, right, right, So they're either dead.
Speaker 2: Or don't speak of divorce and then no, no, no, no, no, we're killing them off.
Speaker 3: But that sort of felt similar.
Speaker 2: And the music, the music, you know, they had the episode with a show or with a song, and I was like, wait, we did that well.
Speaker 1: And it's it's a multi generational family all living under one roof. It's a lot of people, and they don't the whole thing takes place in the house, right, there's no other scenes and other sets. It's all. I mean, there's different sets, but it's all in the Winslow house.
Speaker 2: I believe it's Yeah, living room, kitchen, and bedroom, so was full house?
Speaker 3: Have any other sets?
Speaker 1: We have some swing sets, I mean, I guess in the pilot. We did it not in the pilot and the pilot, yeah, it's a pilot. They won't give you swing sets.
Speaker 2: They're like, you're getting the bare minimum for what you can do and we'll see how it goes.
Speaker 1: Right, It's true, very true. So did you enjoy watching a show that was reminiscent of our own show? Did it feel comforting? Did it feel like a copycat?
Speaker 2: No? But I it was like I didn't I didn't want to keep what's the word like comparing pairing it? Yeah, I was trying to really not, even though I was like, oh that feels like oh that, I was like, let it stand on its own merits and let like these relationships develop, you know, very true.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's it's its own show and its own right, and yeah it isn't. People can make unfair comparisons to Full House, but I think it stands. It totally stands on its own. I found myself fascinated by the mother characters because there's no mother character at first in Full House. So I'm very drawn to like Harriet in this or like Amy in Boy Meets World. I'm like, oh, look very wonderful.
Speaker 3: Yea's great.
Speaker 1: They're nurturing like Amy's so nurturing, and then Harriet is like such a strong there's a very yeah, yeah I love that.
Speaker 2: It was. Yeah, it was like I liked to how like, yes, the show's felt similar, but like to I think the audiences and the perspectives of the families that they were representing, like they felt authentic, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah they did. So he did love it. So on a scale of one to ten, how would you rate the pilot of Family Matters.
Speaker 3: I'm going like a six, You're going six or seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I kind of feel the same way, like I feel like maybe I'll get it.
Speaker 3: I don't want to be me.
Speaker 2: I don't either, but I also am trying to just be honest and I just don't.
Speaker 3: It was. There was some things, but.
Speaker 1: We'll get there were there were some things, but I thought it was solid. It was a great It was a great pilot, but I wouldn't rank it up with like the top three the best pilots out there.
Speaker 2: So that's okay.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about some fun facts about this episode. It was directed by joel's Wick, So in some of these camera angles, I was.
Speaker 2: Like, Jeel, Okay, camera angle, Joel. I watched this entire episode and I was like, was Jewel drunk?
Speaker 3: What is happening?
Speaker 1: There's a very camera There was.
Speaker 2: A weird there was a lot of weird angles, a lot of people in each other's lights, yeah, a lot of upstaging of themselves, just all kinds of things where I was like it it felt like I was like somebody needed to fix this. Well thought, It's not like this was Joel's first rodeo, like a gazillion directed gazillion things. And also like was it all new.
Speaker 3: Camera people like you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: There was one where it was like you literally see the camera like sort of shuttling left, you know, it's like bumping over the floor.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, who were not gotten?
Speaker 2: Not in a pick up? Yeah? So true.
Speaker 1: I was just like, I don't know, Joel, I don't know what you were thinking when you were directing this. But okay, Like we mentioned, the first episode of Family Matters aired on September twenty second, nineteen eighty nine, which is the same.
Speaker 3: Date almost two years later, same date, two years later.
Speaker 1: Amazing. And this show was actually a spin off of Perfect Strangers.
Speaker 3: Oh right. The character of.
Speaker 1: Harriet was the elevator operator at the show Cogo newspaper where Balky and Larry worked.
Speaker 3: So that's when we got to watch too.
Speaker 2: I know, oh yeah, maybe Mark Baker and some Bronson Pinchet. Just brilliant comedy.
Speaker 1: Brilliant comedy. But I yeah, I I I knew that I had forgotten it, and then I remembered, and then I wished there was a tie, like there should Larry and Balky should have been in this pilot, Like there should have been some sort of ushering of Harriet out of Perfect Strangers and into family matters.
Speaker 2: Right, they did, They did. They over explained everything everything else right, they would have writ I would have at least appreciated a mention of like, oh, at the at my job or at the yeah something.
Speaker 1: I don't know, what did you say? She was the an elevator operator, like the person that puts the goes goes up and down elevator operator? Is that the name?
Speaker 3: Didn't I'm just confused because.
Speaker 2: Did not end in like nineteen thirty eight, you know what I.
Speaker 3: Mean, Like, how what its elevator operator? Don't we have buttons?
Speaker 2: I know, I know, well back in the day. You know, I don't know when Perfect Strangers takes place, but I guess they head in Chicago, so I guess it's like you. The assumption is it's an old building.
Speaker 1: So you need, yeah, an operator to work.
Speaker 2: It feels it feels it feels flimsy.
Speaker 1: It's either that or it feels like a high end hotel where it's like no, no, no, like they have bathroom attendance too. It's like, we don't want you to have to touch your own towel. We're going to hand it to you. The same thing with the elevator. Oh no, you're too important. I'm going to touch the buttons for you.
Speaker 2: I don't know, perhaps strange. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know, uh, valcan Larry.
Speaker 1: Rolling like that? Maybe I didn't know either. Yeah, no, that's that's that's a thing that we learned. Okay, so we've got main cast synopsis. I don't know if we want to go through all of this. Okay, here's the synopsis. The Winslow home is full of love and family, and Carl's mom is moving.
Speaker 2: In straight to the point, and then shenanigans in suit in sue.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's talk about some of the best moments of the series. The first one is that Carl is doing everything in his power to prevent his mom from moving in. He pitches all kinds of alternative ideas to his wife, Harriet, but she knows it's pointless because mom is moving in anyways.
Speaker 3: Right, And I gotta say, I like, Harriet, I bought in this scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh, Harriet's great. I did.
Speaker 3: Harry was great.
Speaker 2: Carl.
Speaker 3: I was like, you're doing too much, Carl.
Speaker 1: Carl, Well, okay, this is.
Speaker 3: I was like, why are you making that face?
Speaker 2: Carl? What is that face.
Speaker 3: Are you smiling? Reginald grimacing?
Speaker 1: Reginald has a great sitcom face, like he is giving so much face.
Speaker 2: But I wasn't sure why he was giving that face at that I was like, are.
Speaker 3: You you gmc? Are you smiling? What's happening? But it was it was a lot.
Speaker 1: It was a lot.
Speaker 3: But then you have but I guess i'd be making that face of my mom was moving into.
Speaker 1: Oh, I was just kidding, Janie, Yeah, I I For half of this episode, I was just trying to place who belonged to who, Like, who are these people in relation to each other? So I'm like, we're.
Speaker 3: Quite specific with their description. They were quite specific.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well no, but I'm like, why is okay if if Carl.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to get these names right because everybody dragged me for calling Ben Savage Ben Savage or Corey Ben Savage. I don't know their character names people, Okay, I only know.
Speaker 3: Them as like people Kelly, Joe, Marie, Reginald.
Speaker 1: Whatever I will learn. I'm trying to learn their character names, so give me some grace here. So I was thinking, Harriet's the one that said, okay, Mom, okay, Mom, you can come move in. But it's not her mother, it's Carl's mother, right, So why doesn't Carl just say, hey, mom, this isn't gonna work. What you can't move in?
Speaker 2: Because that's because that's because Mama Winslow is not going to let that happens. It's not a little Winslow's way or look by way.
Speaker 3: It is, yes, all right.
Speaker 2: But then I say, Harriet's fine with it though. Harriet's just like this is just this is happening. So let's because there's a there's a I think, an aspect of respect, okay, of elders, of your mom, of your you know what I mean. That I think very true. You know, I think.
Speaker 3: Culturally it's a little bit different. There's like, you know what I mean, like you.
Speaker 2: Don't argue with mama, and that seems kind of like what Carl is used to is like you just Mom's running the house.
Speaker 3: And same with Harriet.
Speaker 2: Harriet's running the house with the women in this family are the ones that are in charge.
Speaker 1: She's definitely wearing the pants in this family. She is such a strong female role model. I love her strong shoulder pads, like.
Speaker 2: Got it, love it, you loved it.
Speaker 1: I do think these two play well off each other, Harriet and Carl, because she is so stable and he is just a little about all of this happening. So I think they do play very well off of each other. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Was he in Perfect Strangers too?
Speaker 1: Are we introd?
Speaker 2: Cal?
Speaker 3: I thought he was.
Speaker 2: Carl was the security guard.
Speaker 1: Ah, that's right, he's the cop. These two looked like they had been married for decades, So I bought into this, this marriage for sure. So then Carl and Harriet's oldest son, Eddie, is trying to butter up his parents so he can go to a party at his friend's house tonight.
Speaker 2: I felt very typical teenager, very teenager.
Speaker 3: Hey, I'm going to wash your car.
Speaker 2: Why they knew?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they knew immediately he was up to something. He neglects to tell them at first that it's a party that ends at two am, right, which I'm like, he's fifteen years old. Why do you got to be out till two am? Nothing good happens after two am? I am that parent. So I ran my team when I am team Carl and Harriet on this, and then I'm like, no, you can't stay out that late. Your curfew is at ten.
Speaker 3: True, I'm torn.
Speaker 1: You're torn.
Speaker 2: I'm torn because I'm like, it's the nineties or eighties. Yeah, this was the end. And I could let you know if it was a neighborhood kid and they're like, you know whatever, a couple of blocks away, Like, I don't know, it feels a little bit different, but maybe you know.
Speaker 1: Well, once I learned it was a rambo watching, it's not like a rave. They're just watching TV. So yeah, maybe right.
Speaker 3: That was the thing is I was like, well, I've kind of agreed with my mother Winslow on.
Speaker 1: This was like yeah, yeah, yeah, you can light up, lighten up a little bit about it, but not till two am.
Speaker 2: Like let's just maybe I would have been like eleven thirty midnight, Okay, that's plenty two am.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nobody needs to stay up that late.
Speaker 2: So then Carl's mom Estelle she finally arrives and oh yes, she tells her granddaughters all about her experiences abroad and apparently she knew the Queen of England, like so random, and that was so I was like, what, I don't know if she was making a joke or if she was being serious. No, that she's being serious. Apparently that she was.
Speaker 1: She like knows she was.
Speaker 2: I think the implication is, I don't know, like a assistant housekeeper, some worked for various wealthy people and traveled with them. Okay, that seemed to be what it was, and that was how she kind of met all those people.
Speaker 1: But that was just rare. I either want more backstory on her or none. But I feel like they just teased this and then it went nowhere.
Speaker 3: It was again, it was.
Speaker 2: Throwing out that you knew the Queen of England sort of as an offhand comment, and then moving on. I was like, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait that let's.
Speaker 1: Get back to that, right, No, it felt.
Speaker 2: Like but it also felt like, let's not get back to that, because that felt like it was shoehorned into the conversation.
Speaker 1: Also, you know, for sure, oh absolutely, But this actress is played by Rosetta. She's so perfect, great, just shines, She shines this whole episode. She's a perfect mama Winslow. You know, she is just opinionated.
Speaker 2: She's yeah, subtle judgment like this's just amazing, not so subtle judgment sometimes not so subtle.
Speaker 1: She loves her grand babies.
Speaker 2: I was just like, oh yeah, this is I think she's a good addition to the house. I really she's great. Yeah again, like throws the dynamic of everything off, which is exactly what you need in a sitcom.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And can we talk for a minute about the house because when the still arrives, right, what is this front door situation?
Speaker 3: Okay, so I was thinking that too, and then I went, wait a minute.
Speaker 2: It looks like we're in Chicago building. We're in Chicago. It's going to be like a mud room, like a front You'll have like a front because when you come in and out, you don't want I mean, if you go, you don't want your front door like directly opening from all the coal there. So you usually have like kind of a little there's like a like a vestibule ye take off, like a mud room where you basically, yeah, you kind of come in, but a lot I noticed that a lot on like houses in the East Coast or where it snows or things like that, you kind of have like a come in here, it's tiled whatever. And then her second door is there.
Speaker 1: Well it didn't because I thought.
Speaker 3: The same thing.
Speaker 2: I was like, and then I remember the outside of the house and I was like, oh, yeah, the implication is that it's like a front little up the steps there and then whatever.
Speaker 1: It was very distracted, but it didn't very distracted.
Speaker 2: It didn't they need some coats and boots there then right, they did it didn't.
Speaker 1: There was no plant and a.
Speaker 3: Like an apart It looked like a hallway.
Speaker 1: It looked like an apartment hallway.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I was just like, huh, I.
Speaker 3: Thought the same thing.
Speaker 2: I was like, wait, what do we and then I was like, oh, okay, that makes sense, but not the way that they did it.
Speaker 1: And the house was so cluttered, like I just couldn't get past how many chotchkeys. And it wasn't the kitchen.
Speaker 2: I mean, we had Danny Tanner, so Danny Tanner was the cleanest. They did not have a Dandy got in the first episode.
Speaker 3: First episode, the house was a night.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that was a plot point. That was a plot point. The houses a nightmare, their moms to come over.
Speaker 3: But if you.
Speaker 2: Notice, like the girls rooms, all of that, it's a set deck thing you've got to have because otherwise in it looks so bland. You have to overcompensate because on camera it just if you would decorate it like a normal room.
Speaker 3: You look around and be like, oh my god, it's bearing here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, well, I think I think the full House set deck they got it. They got it. They struck the right balance. Well, but I mean it, I don't know. Ours was easy.
Speaker 3: We had a theme, you know, nautical, Yeah, right.
Speaker 1: This this that.
Speaker 2: I don't think there was a theme. There was no seapappy that was certainly missing. Definitely not but yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: There was just so much stuff on the counter, like the kitchen counters. I was like, put that stuff away. You don't need all your spices out on the counter and all of your jobs.
Speaker 3: The spices are out on the counter. In the full house kitchen, it was a goose. There's all that crap on the on the island.
Speaker 2: That goes around this west stuff, and there's a bunch of crap on the kitchen on the back wall there with the counter spaces. I think I'm just space in that. Yeah, I think I'm just so used.
Speaker 1: To these house. This was the walls.
Speaker 2: If you look at the walls in the girls room, there's a Winchester Mystery House Tour brochure pinned to No No Joke, pinned to DJ's bulletin board, Like there's random crap in there, all of the like SPADs and set debbins. It's almost like set Next being paid per item that they put into. Yes, you gotta make it like you have to build the story of like Okay, this kid has one ribbons doing that or whatever. Yeah. Yeah, Like DJ was into horses, so they had all these horse figurines ventures into Nelson.
Speaker 1: And then you were into Doogie Houser.
Speaker 3: So you know this is just wow.
Speaker 1: Oops, okay, okay, So anyways, I will try to get past the distraction of the cluttered house and the weird mudroom entrance. Uh Eddie confides in his grandma about this party that he wants to go to tonight. Those curfews at ten the Rambo movie marathon doesn't start until nine thirty, and so Estelle assures him that she is going to fight for his right to party.
Speaker 3: Now, see, this didn't feel.
Speaker 2: This felt like not true to who she is for me in the brief moment that I've never in seven minutes, you've known still that I've never I'm like this lady is not about to let a child go out till two o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't know if she was just trying to be buddy buddy with her grand I.
Speaker 2: Get well, yeah, I guess that kind of the thing is that, like you're the you're seeing that like she'll let the grandkids get away with murder and that she's going to kind of interfere with stuff.
Speaker 3: So I get that.
Speaker 1: And she's undermining Carl's parents.
Speaker 3: She's exporting that's the thing.
Speaker 1: It's like, I care what you think, Grandma. You have to respect what the parents.
Speaker 2: But I do feel like she would have been like two am, yeah, absolutely, it's too late.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why would grandma be on board with that?
Speaker 3: So I don't know who knows? Who knows what Grandma's up to.
Speaker 2: Grandma's just trying to create Haral world. She's like, I know, the Queen of England, I mean of England.
Speaker 1: She's a fascinating character. I'm gonna keep watching the show to find out more about Estelle. Then Harriet's sister Rachel, So it took me a minute to figure this out to who she is in the context of the family. She's Harriet's sister and the mother of this baby. This random baby just showed up in the kitchen. Baby Richie and so we find out in the later scene that Rachel's husband died.
Speaker 2: I don't think she says how he died, though, did she. Well, they never, they never really don't get into it too much.
Speaker 1: We'll get that in season eight. Yeah, and that's how she and her baby came to live with the Winslows. Okay, so it took me a while to put that together.
Speaker 2: So she's like, the well, cause I was just like, I felt like it was explained like over. I was like, Okay, we get you're basically drawing a family tree at this point by the.
Speaker 1: Time we got to that scene. But when she walks in with all of Estelle's luggage, I thought she was a Stelle's daughter. But she's not.
Speaker 2: She's she's not related. She's related to the Harriet side. But I thought, oh, it's the daughter she's says. But earlier that she says something about Carl. I think says, your sister went to go pick up mom at the airport, if I remember.
Speaker 1: Right, probably I was there a lot of a lot of characters, yes, And I was just it took me a minute to put the family tree together, but I think there, you got it together. So we've got this is how they.
Speaker 2: Get the baby.
Speaker 3: There that they have a baby, and she's.
Speaker 2: So she like the uncle Jesse. She's the sister, he's the brother in law. She's the sister in law. She's like the uncle Jesse version. I don't know, she's not really just as far as like being an aunt or uncle. Yeah, I feel like I remember Toma Hopkins did not last long on that.
Speaker 3: Show Last Friction. Really things on there.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I could be please don't quote me on that, Okay, I could be making but like it sounded familiar when I was like.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, I feel like I.
Speaker 2: Thought Thelma was in like most of the series.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. She was on that girl Lele and so I remember everyone's like, oh my god, she's a legend, and I'm like, yeah, she's a legend, but maybe it's just not a family matters legend, just a legend for all her other work. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure what season that that that they left them.
Speaker 3: Oh, we're gonna he just looked it up.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're getting live updates.
Speaker 1: Stay tuned, live updates.
Speaker 3: Season four she left, Okay, so she was she did.
Speaker 1: She did half of the shows Okay, a little less than half.
Speaker 2: All right, that's that's so significant. Yeah, he just feels like that too. Where does she.
Speaker 3: Move a contract? Renegotiation?
Speaker 2: Is what that feels like? That is that's exactly the money.
Speaker 1: No, you don't see, Yeah, but fascinating.
Speaker 2: Okay. So then after Estelle tries to interfere with Carl and Harriet's parenting, a fight blows up at the dinner table. Carl finally realizes he needs to talk with his mother and set some boundaries. Big lesson for Carl.
Speaker 1: He for someone who's a cop in real life, I assume that you know, he he's stern and to the point, but like he's not like this in his private home life. He's anxious all the time and not direct. He's passive, aggressive, he doesn't want to talk to his mother, Like it's just like mom's intimidating.
Speaker 2: I think that's the thing, is like he's a cop and everyone like he's you know, secure and everywhere else, But when it comes to his mom, he's like, oh lord, this lady falls apart.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna argue with her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, totally falls apart.
Speaker 2: I get that that happens. You know, moms can be big presences.
Speaker 1: And estelle is she has hurt. I got to eat right now, or my digestion isn't good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, that's what I mean.
Speaker 2: Like this, Yeah, so I can tell why Carl's like, oh god, oh god, what.
Speaker 3: Am I am? I doing it wrong?
Speaker 2: I do it? Yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel like he could have instead of saying complaining Mom keeps sitting in my chair. You just read director say hey Mom, that's my chair, let me sit you over here instead. But that's the thing, it's logical for a sitcom.
Speaker 2: But see that's now the thing is is this kind of relationship. He would say that, and she'd be like, well, it's more comfortable and I'm old, so I'm gonna sit here.
Speaker 3: But you know what I mean, that's the thing is. I don't think exactly.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's he can't tell her to move once once she sits. You are not telling her mother Winslow, that she needs to move, You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: This is a complishing. It's the use you got respect your elders don't question Mama Winslow.
Speaker 2: But she's living a driving its house with their.
Speaker 1: Rules and their parenting, so right, friction, This is a tremis for a serious excellent. So Carl and Estelle have a heart to heart and acknowledge that they really want this living situation to work.
Speaker 3: And you can see to their background music better.
Speaker 2: Oh really, rather than like violins, it had like a little it was a little uh I don't know. That's a little less chaccharine and like sappy shmoopy, yeah, lesh movie and more like uh I don't know, just a little more upbeat, a.
Speaker 1: Little more up beat. Yeah, I thought this this You could see the formula is working the sitcomference. You got the heart to heart, you got the music, you got the hont you got the compromise, and it all just works. You know, this is how you end a sitcom. Yes, and it's lovely. It's lovely. Then I thought that was the end of the show. Oh no, it's not. Carl goes up to Eddie's room, which is in the attic.
Speaker 2: Throw somebody in the in the These people's addicts are incredible, immaculates, are the best addicts I've ever seen. Dust, there's no decay. No, they've got windows. It's gorgeous attics.
Speaker 1: Yes, and one of the kids is always displaced, just to throw.
Speaker 3: In the attic.
Speaker 1: Uh. So Carl extends Eddie's curfew and allows him to go to the party tonight.
Speaker 2: But not before Eddie was creeping on the neighbor across the street with binoculars, and so is Carl.
Speaker 3: And I couldn't figure out. I wanted to.
Speaker 2: Tell myself, said Carl took the binoculars because he was like, I don't want my son to do this. But I think the joke was he took him because he wanted to be the.
Speaker 3: One to look.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think you're right that that's a joke, and that made it creepier. I didn't again, this is this was the nineties. You're nothing's funnier than you know, inappropriate dude watching. Yeah, yeah, yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 1: Well I at first innocent me. I was just like, oh, isn't that cute? Eddie is looking at the Rambo marathon across the street that he couldn't go to.
Speaker 2: But no, I know it's a love he's so su and you're like, no, no, no, no, no, lady get across.
Speaker 1: When he said don't move to a different room, I was like, oh, it's not a not a Rambo marathon, it's a it's a lady so yeah, I didn't love that. That very distracted.
Speaker 2: The weird camera angles in this scene too. Yeah, there was there was a lot of things where I was like, can you move You're in his light? Can you There was take a step you need to step.
Speaker 3: Back because you can't you feel the shadow? You know, she feels like that, right, the actor.
Speaker 1: Should have felt the shadow. And there was one shot where it was like shot from the floor up and I'm just like what what?
Speaker 3: Yes is this?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It was waste yea. Yeah, there's some strange things happening in there.
Speaker 1: Thinking and then the episode ends with Harriet, carl Estelle and Rachel singing He's got the whole world in his hands.
Speaker 2: I love this.
Speaker 1: What a great end A.
Speaker 3: Pilot ended with a with a song and.
Speaker 1: With a family.
Speaker 2: I hope this is a recurring gospel show. You got.
Speaker 1: I like it. I bought into it. I bought into the family.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was you know, it was cute. It was.
Speaker 2: It was cute.
Speaker 1: There were lots of scanned out like I thought. Kelly Williams as Laura.
Speaker 2: Was Yeah, it's fantastic, like she has so much shaded grass.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. She was fantastic Darius. I can tell he's kind of growing into his character a little bit for sure, staying a little more comfortable with.
Speaker 2: And the little girl was not the little girl that wind up being there later. And then that little girl went away too. Oh so she was recast, and then the second was recast, and the second one went and the second one. They're literally the sort of joke is she walks up the stairs one day and then never returns.
Speaker 3: You never hear from her again or see her.
Speaker 2: She's just and the producers are like off into the night. Audiences will never notice.
Speaker 3: They're like, they're not paying attention.
Speaker 2: They won't be watching this in forty years, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the little girl.
Speaker 1: I don't have much to say about the little girl, although you know, I'm thinking the Olsens should feel lucky by now, because you got the little girl was disposed of unfamily matters. She was recast on Boy Meets World as well. The little girl was recast there. So I'm like, man, we.
Speaker 2: Got lucky with the Oldsens. It's just like maybe the old shows.
Speaker 3: I'm glad.
Speaker 2: I'm glad I made it for chopping block. Nobody is safee, nobody is safe. I mean, well, I mean Danny. We didn't replace Danny.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's right, but not after the series aired, like the series after the pilot was shot, well after it was shot. But it hadn't nobody has no searching on YouTube that No, it hasn't never aired yet. So yeah, I don't know. I don't know if we got an accurate feel of family matters without Rcle, like because because he's kind became the show, you know, yeah, so uh yeah, And I don't think he comes in until season two, so we could watch all of season one and not no right and.
Speaker 2: No matter of a moment. Yeah, so I feel like, I don't know, but I like this.
Speaker 1: I like this show.
Speaker 3: It's cute.
Speaker 2: It's cute.
Speaker 3: I like, yeah, I like I like Mother Winslow.
Speaker 2: She's great.
Speaker 3: I like her. I like I love Harriet. Harriet were kind of my two favorites.
Speaker 1: She's fantastic. Carl is like the emotional core of the show, like a Danny Tanner, yes, like a lovable father figure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was cute. It was a you know, it's a cute TJ.
Speaker 2: I can see how it fit into the t G. I f Cannon absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 1: It was a great addition. Same producers, Tom Miller, Bob Boyette. They had the winning formula for families.
Speaker 3: Although this was a Biley, this was a Bickley Warren.
Speaker 2: Oh show, it wasn't Miller Boyette.
Speaker 3: Miller Boyett developed it. Basically they were like.
Speaker 2: The overseeing development producers, which is kind of what they were on Full House too. But it was uh uh yeah, Bickley Warren not not Mark Warren, Michael Warren, Michael Warren and I forget what the other. I feel bad, I forget the other mister Bickley's name. But they were another very popular sitcom producing doing. Okay, Yeah, they were basically I think like the Jeff Franklin, you know what I mean, like the creator, the writer.
Speaker 1: There has been two Jeff's. This is that would be the exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: They were what Mark and Dennis became, Yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, so yeah, no, it was a great, great show. I think a lot of I don't know what I'm talking about here, but I think a lot of people when of that I never know what I'm talking about, but I think a lot of people mistakenly assumed that this was like the first black family sitcom on TV, which is not true. We have the Jefferson's, we have the Cosby Show, but maybe millennials, this is the first black family sitcom that they watch well on TV every Friday night.
Speaker 4: To be very real, people of color were incredibly underrepresented in television, in sitcom families, in any families, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, they were always kind of the you know, the side character or the you know. And I think, yeah, I think that this was the stix out in people's minds because also, like the popularity of family sitcoms at this time, it was, you know, it was it was a big one. But yeah, the Jefferson, Sanford Soon, two to seven, God, I love to seven. Yeah, all, you know, there's all of those. It was great, yeah, good times. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I think I like that this was just framed as it's it's a maybe I'm mistaken by saying it's a black family sitcom. It was a family sitcom that happened to feature a black family. So it's just like this is just it's not it's not it's representation without spectacle. It's like this is just the norm.
Speaker 3: And well, I do think I think it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that, you know, the strong mom character is a strong gram you know like that.
Speaker 3: I think probably resonated with a lot of people because you.
Speaker 2: Don't don't mess with Mama.
Speaker 1: Don't mess with exactly Mama knows best.
Speaker 2: But but no, I I and you know, I know a lot of people kind of unfairly go oh it was just you know, the full house, but made for you know, different people, different culture. But but it wasn't it was you know, there were similarities. But every if you watch every family sitcom, they're pretty much at similarities. Right, Someone's probably did someone's probably moving in and uh yeah in hilario and.
Speaker 1: Sues, hilarity and sues. There's definitely a formula. But yeah, no, I just wanted to comment on the importance of this show and the cultural you know, it was. It was important, It was great. And now I want to watch when the first episode with Erkeles.
Speaker 3: Come back and watch that. We like, let's watch the Erkle debut.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah right, you guys, Well, thanks for listening to our little minisode here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you want to check.
Speaker 2: Us out on Instagram, follow us at how read Podcast, send us an email at Howard Tandrito's at gmail dot com. How Rude Merch dot com is our merch store and.
Speaker 1: Let us know what you think of family matters too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let us know what you think of family matters? Are the comments on the page? Send us an email. What you think if this was a family that you related to, you know, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Did you prefer it as the Erkle Show or do you miss like these?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was early.
Speaker 1: Seasons where it was more about the family instead of the crazy neighbor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would.
Speaker 2: I would be interested to hear how people felt about that, and like if it was a weird sort of oh, we don't like this kid and then we like him, or you know, let us know your thoughts, guys, we'd love to hear it. And I think that's it. So in the meantime, remember the world is small, the house is full.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I had one.
Speaker 2: All these so many chose there's set deck everywhere, set deck not that's just spilling into the camera aisle, like it just keeps the of crap that they found in the in the sony prop departments that they.
Speaker 1: Just hire prop departments in all the house.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly, well they're you know, they were collectors.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: Kept the house warmer in those Chicago.
Speaker 3: Right Chicago's cold.
Speaker 2: You got to have a lot of crap in there to fill it up, you know. I just have drafts everywhere, So
Speaker 3: All right, everybody, We'll see you next time.