Speaker 1: From Marhart where Innovation, Money and power Collie in Silicon Vallet NBN. This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed Ludlow.
Speaker 2: I'm Caroline Heindet Bluemog's world headquarters in New York, and I'm Ed Ludlow in San Francisco.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg Technology coming up.
Speaker 2: Micron it's warning on its China sales again amid those geopolitical tensions, sending the shares lower. We are going to discuss chip companies. Are they diversifying their supply chains.
Speaker 4: We'll discuss.
Speaker 5: Plus we'll speak to the head of the Dblow Universe Activision Blizzard as the video game maker sees its best debut of all time.
Speaker 2: I'm Billionaires at lunch in a musque, Bernard, Anna. They hit town for a power lunch in Paris with their families. We'll break down exactly what we've learned from their day out. But first let's check in on these markets because we've got some nervousness, whether it's around geopolitics China US related when it comes to Micron nuclear, when it comes to Russia and Belarus. We just have enough to take the steam out of this market. As we head towards the weekend and what has been, of course a key run up post of the FED. I think it's been one of the best weeks for global stocks in months, at least since March. We're see NASA currently down tenth of a percent at the moment, the socks, the chips under pressure. As we talk Micron a little bit more in a moment, ED, I know you've got your eye on that, and interesting moves that we have in the bond market. We seem to be rebounding. We had yields pull lower yesterday. Today the march back hires. We have a couple of FED speak out. They're really saying, look, we've still got to focus on inflation.
Speaker 4: Maybe we do still need to tighten. Moving on, have a look.
Speaker 2: At what's happening to our risk assid a choice when it comes to the tech sector. We are looking at Bitcoin and look, has had quite the volatile week, particularly in the fourteenth and the fifteenth, but we've rerounded. Still under some pressure, we're some that twenty six thousand dollars level, but relatively sanguine when we think about all the regular focus on this particular asset.
Speaker 5: Then I'm hitting the earning story with Adobe, and yes it's about generative AI as well, raising its four year outlook for profit and revenue. But we're starting to get a censor of management about how we go from the headline and the hype to how this is impacting a company like Adobe's demand.
Speaker 3: Right for its software offerings.
Speaker 5: We're going to get more details later in the show and the Bloomberg Intelligence react.
Speaker 3: But look at the shares.
Speaker 5: We're up two and a half percent since that commentary overnight trading at a February high. This is a stock that's up fifty percent year to date. Part of that is the hype. We will give you the granular detail and analysis from bi Otherwise, I'm looking at a tale of two chip stocks. In the first instance, Intel is now down half a percentage point.
Speaker 3: It had been markedly higher.
Speaker 5: Two reports out of Europe, the first that it's going to invest five billion dollars in a facility in Poland, the second being that it will get around eleven billion dollars of subsidy from Germany. We're going to get into that very shortly. This idea that Gelsing is playing with the smart capital approach. You use Capex, you use co investment, but you also look at publicly available money as well. That stock has turned a corner. And then micro un down one point six percent. It's warning that sales from its customers that have Chinese headquarters that fifty percent of it's under risk, and we're going to talk about why. But basically, this is China looking at a cybersecurity crackdown and that could hurt mic run in the long run. We're going to actually go straight to this, I think, Kara, We've got a good guest with you on set.
Speaker 2: Yeah, our very own Paula Pencar of Bloomberg Intelligence. You can really break down ultimately how much Micron's already tried to pivot, already tried to tell the market, tell the street, how much exposure they have from the geopolitics it can't control. But why this addition, what else is happening at the moment.
Speaker 6: Well, first of all, Mark Murphy, CFO of Micron recently said at a Golden SAS conference on May thirty first that even though they provided this guidance, that they were still uncertain because China never really defined what they were looking at and what this critical infrastructure security risk really entailed.
Speaker 7: So it really doesn't come as a huge surprise to me.
Speaker 6: Yet the market was sort of like relying on Micron's guidance of low single digit to high single digit percent impact on revenue.
Speaker 7: Higher than that.
Speaker 6: Now it's low double digits, twelve thirteen percent.
Speaker 2: And ultimately, what can it do when it's so dependent. Still from a client perspective on China, how are you seeing trying to diversify, Because yes, you can diversify your supply chains, but how do you pivot away from dependence on setting certain gear to certain customers.
Speaker 6: Micron's in a really tough spot because they don't want to give up the huge China market. It's significant and when they recover and when the Chinese start buying smartphones again and when all that picks up, I mean, Micron wants to be a part of that. Yet we've got this whole drive in the US to decouple. So they're trying really hard to sort of keep relations good with China, yet at the same time diversify to other regions.
Speaker 7: So I think that there will be diversification. We're seeing it happen.
Speaker 6: We're seeing capital going into other regions in the world away.
Speaker 7: From China and Southeast Asia.
Speaker 6: But if you look at what we saw announced just today, Micron is putting six hundred million dollars into a test and packaging facility in China. Is China pushing them to do that, coercing them to do that using a ban on their product as some leverage I don't know, or is it Micron basically saying, you know, at some point tensions with China will go away. This is a huge market. We want to keep our finger, you know, we want to stay in there in that.
Speaker 5: Market, Paula, let's stay global. But recap some of the other headlines from the top of the show. Bloomberg reporting that Intel will get about eleven billion dollars of subsidies from the German government for a chip plant in that nation. This is part of the smart capital approach that Pat Gelsinger has been telling me about CAPEX. Get some co investors, but get as much money that's available from the public sector as possible.
Speaker 3: What's your reaction to that reporting.
Speaker 7: Look, Pat Gelsinger is being really smart.
Speaker 6: He is angling in every way he can to get as much money as he can, to keep his costs down and to widen and broaden his reach in the market. I mean, Germany is a great market to be in and partnering with the government is a smart move. And Pat continue Gelsinger continues to just make really smart you know, chessboard moves.
Speaker 5: All right, PAULA pen called Bloomberg Intelligence. Great to have you on set with New York. Let's continue the conversation the global narrative around security chips of Chris Rulin. Now he's the CEO and founder of Phosphorus Cybersecurity, but also served as an advisor to the US government on cybersecurity issues for the last three decades. So Micron and this story Chris warning about the impact of revenue, but the cause is a clamp down by the Chinese government in the context of cybersecurity.
Speaker 3: What do you make of that?
Speaker 8: Well, what we see here is the planning field big set for really a next generation of economic warfare that's happening right now. The Chinese have been stealing ideas from American companies for years, and in the case of Micron, Micron might need to think about what type of technologies they can actually export and build in China, knowing that they're at the risk of being taken to reproduce.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean what's fascinating Chris is actually it was but a day or so ago Bloomberg had a story that Micron is still investing. They're investing six hundred million dollars in terms of trying to still build out in China, still trying to think about a packaging plant in particular.
Speaker 4: Paula said it so right.
Speaker 2: They don't want to lose out on an economy that is still eventually going to rebound post COVID And as a key consumer, how will we ultimately be separate? Will we have one technology economy versus another.
Speaker 8: Well, when we have a situation where foreign state actors are actively rewarded and hacking into United States companies, American CEOs are actually going head to head with these state intelligence.
Speaker 1: Agencies, and it's a serious challenge.
Speaker 8: And I think there will always be risk management in how much of our technology we have built and share overseas versus in the United States, and I do think we see a pullback there and some more conservative behaviors across the board.
Speaker 3: In the world of technology.
Speaker 5: We also see Bill Gates in China, Chris meeting with President g and reports from the media saying that g in the conversation would welcome USAI companies to China and have their technology in that nation. From a cybersecurity perspective, how does that work in practice?
Speaker 8: Well, the United States is great at cybersecurity.
Speaker 1: Our government has eyewater in capabilities in cybersecurity. The Chinese are ahead of us in AI.
Speaker 8: TikTok has been the biggest experiment and successful adventure in our official intelligence. So the thought of our artificial intelligence technologies.
Speaker 1: Shipping them to China, I don't think it is a very.
Speaker 8: Good idea until we either alter this behavior or really lock ourselves down and take this threat seriously. China plays the long game. They don't want to take our ideas. They don't want to make iPhones for us. They want to be Apple, they want to be Micron. That is the long game. The other adversaries, Russia, other state actors where they're more interested in near term economic game like ransomware, have different motivations than the Chinese were a point one game on intellectual progress.
Speaker 5: Serve Chris bear with us, Caroline, I think we've got some breaking news on the subject of China.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anthony Blincoln of course currently set to be on a trip soon enough to China. Currently telling us a new news conference, he looks forward to his Beijing trip overall, and then he wants open communications with China. Chris to that end when miss seeing such breaking news. When it comes to a geobilic political narrative, that we remember that Anthony B. Lincoln was meant to be with Jijingping, or indeed in China, and then a so called spy balloon up ended that back in February Today, how much more risk is there from a cyber perspective, from a technological exchange perspective, can we ever really see sort of bridges being built from your perspective, from a political perspective, and then indeed from an economic one, Well, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Think that's really a cultural issue.
Speaker 8: The Chinese don't feel it's wrong to take other people's ideas and implement them.
Speaker 1: They will keep doing this.
Speaker 8: Not much has changed in the cyber landscape in the last three months, other than the fact that in the last week we've seen three major cyber attacks, two of them attributed to China.
Speaker 1: For this visit going on, if you.
Speaker 8: Were having lunch with someone who had just broken into your house, you might want to talk to them about it.
Speaker 2: One way of putting it fosphorous cybersecurity CEO, We thank you so much. Co founder there, Chris Ruland with some perspective on or the ever growing geopolitical headaches certainly swelling around Micron, and we look towards that meeting between Anthony Blincoln and indeed the Chinese leader. Meanwhile, another story, we're watching jd dot Com on track to emerge from a record sales funk as a bounce back in parts of Chinese economy begins to revive the once booming online's commerce sector. Retail CEO actually joined the program shin Legion, expecting that the commerce revenue will grow starting from the second quarter after a two percent decline in January to March period.
Speaker 4: Spoke exclusively to Bloomberg.
Speaker 10: Well, you guess, I think our service revenue will grow relatively steadily in the second and third quarters. It's still hard to say how much it will grow, but it is part of the overall ecosystem for marketplace merchants. So long as we do a good job in the infrastructure of the ecosystem, the growth will remain healthy.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about Adobe after its numbers shares actually on the app after the company raised its full year revenue and profits a bit, and the outlooks of course surrounding the optimism of generative AI, the features that they've been introducing when he spurring demand for the software, huaranteed for the shares what they're up about fifty percent so far in the month, and our r A bringbag Intelligence joins us. Now fascinating how much this company seems to have swung from what many felt was behind the curve and AI to really leading it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, one of the things I would say is, going back six to nine months ago, there was a lot of discussion around you know, increased competition in the creative space, and frankly, Adobe was facing very tough comparisons in that segment for this year. But they have shown that they can still grow that segment in low double digits despite you know, tougher comparison, more competition. And I think that's the key reason why we are seeing you know, the Stoker reacting the way it is today.
Speaker 5: An Rak, Why are you shining a light on Adobe's creative tools in a tough macro environment.
Speaker 9: Well, the reason is because it makes over for more than seventy percent of their sales and the rest of the business, which is the digital experience business, which is tied to more enterprise spending.
Speaker 1: You know, they actually pulled back.
Speaker 9: Guidance for that particular segment, which is what we were expecting going in. But to our surprise that the one that is you know, tied with SMBs and consumers that's holding up very nice new users coming in. They are you know, spending a lot more for those products, whether that's you know, Acro, Acrobat or Photoshop illustrator, which basically says that everything that has to do with you know, creating more you know, digital imprints, whether it's pictures, videos, or even digital documents, that's remains very strong.
Speaker 5: A reminder, Adobe raised the outlook for its profit and revenue in response to what they're seeing with generatord Ai demand do you buy management's optimism annorag that that translates into top and bottom line growth.
Speaker 3: See, that's going to take some time.
Speaker 9: It's probably going to take one to two years before we really see a big push into that. But the one thing you have to think about is in this particular area, who are going to be the winners? You know, in our view, there are two distinct categories of companies that are going to, you know, be the winners. One that has a lot of capital that they can invest in to create new products, and the second one the ones that have a lot of data. And there is nobody out there that has more data on digital documents than Adobe. There is nobody out there that has more data on the number of pictures and videos somebody is creating. So from that point, Adobe does have an advantage that it can commercialize some of that underlying data with new technologies.
Speaker 2: Some of the overhang remains Figma, the deal, whether it gets done, the regulation that still needs to be jumped through, and argue, does it matter ultimately how important is this enormous deal for them?
Speaker 9: You know, it's actually very funny. When the deal was announced, everybody hated it, and then in six months everybody is worried that if the deal doesn't go through, Adobe is going to be in trouble. But I actually differ from that particular thesis. We think Adobe should be fine with or without Figma. If anything, the last two to three quarters of results have shown that they can still grow the creative business with aug Figma, And you know, to be honest, that size of a business growing thirteen to fourteen percent organically in constant currency is pretty impressive in our view.
Speaker 5: All right, Bloomberg Intelligence, Anna rag Rhana with the react to those aderby ownings, Thank you so much, a story that we're also following.
Speaker 3: Karo.
Speaker 5: FTC chair Lena Khan has declined to recuse herself from a case against Meta, despite the advice of the agency's top ethics official. That's according to internal agency documents. The FTC's ethics official recommended that Khan remove herself from the case to avoid the appearance of bias, but left it up to Khan to decide, concluding it wasn't an ethics violation if she took part. Meta had sought to disqualify Khan from participating in the case over the company's proposed acquisition of a popular virtual reality startup.
Speaker 3: Within now coming.
Speaker 5: Up, Elon Musk Bernard Arnault, the two richest people in the world. They go out to lunch. The big question who picks up the chair? More on that next and really quickly, Caroline, it's been a weird twenty four hours. We're watching shares of Nikola. They're on track for a record weekly game. I'm at my desk last night Trevor Milton, the founder who has been charged and found guilty of securities fraud, breaks a three year social media silence to tell investors to vote against all company proposals at the upcoming AGM. Shares now down two point eighty three percent in the session.
Speaker 3: It's been a wild ride. This is bloomberg time for talking tech. First up.
Speaker 5: International cooperation is needed to properly regulate crypto firms. That's according to France Central bankhead Francois Villeroi, who spoke earlier at Viva Tech in Paris. Is stressed that the European Union was ahead in cryptoregulation. He noted that a new version of the EU regulation MIKA two, would be needed to tackle crypto conglomerates. Also at Viva Tech, AI is bursting onto the scene. A French startup called mistral Ai has already raised a whopping one hundred and five million euros in funding despite being barely a month old. French President Emmanuel Macran is pushing to make the nation more attractive to tech and AI businesses. Plus the world's two richest people, Tesla CEO Elon Musk and Bernard Arnault of LVMH together they got together for what we're calling a power lunch. The meeting follows a fever tech event which Mush spoke at. Both men share a combined wealth of about four hundred and twenty six billion dollars that according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.
Speaker 2: Caroline, that's stick on that, because well we know that in Omsk went on to take to the stage at France's tech event, Viva techsir conference they hold each.
Speaker 4: Year, had a lot to say about AI. Take listen.
Speaker 11: I'm in favor of AI regulation because I think advanced AI is a risk to the public, and anything that's the risk to the public, there needs to be.
Speaker 12: Some kind of referee.
Speaker 13: That referee is the regulator.
Speaker 11: And so I think that my strong recommendation is to have some regulation for AI.
Speaker 2: Is the old time in Paris for a Friday Bloommegg's bro chief. I'm very pious to say, staying a bit late for us, Alan Catz. So what do we make first of Elon Musk, even being their present, he was of course meeting with the wealthiest man as well, but also meeting with Macron too.
Speaker 4: This is about bringing technology to France.
Speaker 14: So Elon Musk has talked about creating a battery factory in Europe, and he's got sort of lots of European politicians essentially begging him to do so. So he met with as you mentioned, with French President Demandor Macron earlier today and maxconn gave a tweet of him shaking Musk's hands saying let's work together. He met yesterday with the Italian leader Georgia Maloney and who and he's apparently talked about potentially putting the battery of factory there. People have talked about Tesla putting this battery factory in Spain, and so he's sort of got, as sometimes happens with these kinds of investments, sort of politicians desperately trying to get him to invest in their country and is using that as a way to sort of, you know, gather.
Speaker 3: Them around him.
Speaker 14: And he has made himself the center of attention in that respect.
Speaker 5: Thousands of people alan at Viva tech elon Musk walks on stage. There's a big reaction taught to us about kind of the star power of this man in France in particular.
Speaker 14: So it's a funny thing because France is not a very pro business environment.
Speaker 1: In many respects.
Speaker 14: I mean, it's become much more so under under Manual mack Home, but still sort of in terms of popular public opinion, business people are not generally heroes here in the way that they can be in the US specifically, but Elon Musk has managed to really transcend that, you know. In addition to meeting with politicians, as he pointed out, he had lunch with bah I know who. By the way, even though again their their relative wealth goes back and forth on who's the richest man in the world, I'll know it is not like a star like Musk is. I mean, he walked into this room. You could feel the energy and the desire that people had for Musk to be there. They had to move it from you know, their original venue to a new place where they had four thousand seats so they could fit all the people who wanted to come see him. When at the end of this of this sort of forty five minute session, when when Musk agreed to take questions, it was like pandemonium in the hall.
Speaker 3: It was real.
Speaker 14: He really is like a rock show, which is very surprising here.
Speaker 5: And Musk has just retweeted that Macron tweet are thanks to Bloomberg's Alan Katz, bureau chief out in Parison.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Bloomberg Technology. I'm Caroline Hyde in New York and I.
Speaker 3: Met Loved in San Francisco.
Speaker 5: Carry for the final time this week, it's going to check in on these market's.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 5: Were kind of treading water, chopping and changing between gains and losses on the NAZAK one hundred, up of ten to one percent, but we are on track for our best week since March. A little bit of FED sprinkled in there. A lot about artificial intelligence. Some of the megacaps on a points basis have pushed that index higher throughout the week. We'll get to in a second. The socks moving to the downside, off by two tens and one percent, a lot of negative headlines for those chip makers that we can pass through. US ten yield higher by six basis points three point seven eight percent, and Bitcoin actually pushing higher by a percentage point around twenty five eight hundred US dollars per token. But we actually have kind of seen it above that in terms of levels in recent days and weeks, specific movers. So much of this is to do with AI. When you think about the single names moving in both directions of mister director, you'll do your magic, thank you very much. Intel hire by three tens of one percent, another name bouncing around. Bloomberg Exclusive reporting about eleven billion dollars of subsidies in for a new chip plant there.
Speaker 3: According to sources.
Speaker 5: Microsoft coming off that fresh record high Thursday, off by four tens percent, and then Nvidia continues to see gains. When will this end the momentum in this AI related stock because everyone wants the GPUs more near term, Adobe pushing higher February high up fifty percent year to date, raising its outlook for profit and revenue because of the demand for its generative AI offering character.
Speaker 4: And there is the exuberance.
Speaker 2: But on the flip side of the exuberance when it comes to AI, of course, is some of the concerns, the nervousness and therefore the policy making that needs to come. And in fact, look policymakers around the world trying to grapple with this. They're harping on about how to better regulate artificial intelligence. But there are concerns that some fundamental aspects are being overlooked. In particular, we're pleased to look for insight from Jennifer Polker, founder, former executive director of Code for America, the author of Recoding America. Why government is failing in the Digital Age and how we can do better. Jennifer, your book is fascinating, and it's not only about thinking about to regulate AI and technology in the here and now, but ultimately also how to implement it and how we're failing to implement regulation at large.
Speaker 4: And that's a technology solve that could be there.
Speaker 2: But first, just give us your thoughts as we look ahead to next week, the EU might indeed bring us the AI Act. How do you think policy make is a doing looking at artificient intelligence?
Speaker 13: Well, the good news is that they're paying a lot more attention than they have in the past, and actually that Congress has gotten a lot smarter about tech over the past couple of years, in part due to efforts with Tech Congress and organizations like pop Fox Foundation, where they're really out there helping get people with great tech skills in and around Congress to help them be able to have just a more deeper understanding of the core technology and the kinds of things they're going to do to our society. There's some bad news too, which is that this is going to be a lot harder than some of the tech challenges that have come at our government in the past. AI is just going to be far more disruptive, and the truth is that we really don't know what it's going to do to us. We don't understand it the way that we at least are starting to understand things like social media.
Speaker 2: Okay, So when we think about also the immediacy of the issues, what we've heard on one front is the anxiety about ultimately AI causing mass extinction. That seems to be some of the issues being proposed by or some outman the guy leading the charge when it comes to open AI. But then there's people who try to really remind us of the here, the now. The issues are bias, the issues of already using facial recognition in AI in when it comes to recognizing crime. What do you think policymakers need to be looking at from a short term and longer term perspective.
Speaker 13: They need to understand that there's different types of threats that come with AI. They're certainly societal type threats. There's yes, certainly existential threats like this, and then there's the threats of what humans might do with it, what bad actors might do, and the kinds of policies that will address these different types are going to have to be quite distinct. So you're going to need people who understand what the technology can do today, more importantly, what it is likely to be able to do tomorrow.
Speaker 7: But you're also going to have to have.
Speaker 13: Really smart policy people who understand how to create policy that's adaptable as we learn what these technologies can do in these areas. And of course, with each of these areas of real threat also comes real potential benefit, And we need policy makers who are going to understand not just how to mitigate the downsides, but how to make sure that we as a society get the advantages of what upsides these things can bring.
Speaker 5: Jennifer, it seems like a lifetime ago, but it was only six weeks when Vice President Kamala Harris gathered the great and the good of the world of AI and said that the White House would do something.
Speaker 3: Have they done something? You know?
Speaker 13: The executive branch has its own special relationship to technology, much like.
Speaker 5: The find that special relationship for us. What do you mean by a special relationship?
Speaker 13: You know, my book looks takes a sort of historical look at government's relationship to technology, going all the way back to the sixties. When we define technology as something commercial, it would be something that government would buy, and therefore powerful people in government would need to really understand how it works just be something you buy the way you buy pencils or cars. And over time we've had attempts by the legislative branch, like in the nineteen nineties with the Cleaner Cohenact, to say this is something more than just a tool of the mechanicals here in government the people who implement things. It's actually fundamental to our society. We need people in government who understand it. So in nineteen ninety six, Senator Cleaner, Senator Cohen and Representative Cleaner asked the White House to take responsibility for a digital strategy, and in fact they said no, they said, that's inconsistent with the policy nature of this institution. It's operational and therefore not something we should do.
Speaker 7: So in that case you.
Speaker 13: Had Congress actually being more forward looking saying this is something we need as a core competency in our government, and the executive branch saying nope, we're not going to do it. Now, sometimes we've seen that in the reverse, where you have the executive branch really having things like the Office of Science and Technology Policy trying to have people who understand technology in the building able to participate in critical conversations, and you had Congress behind for a while, so they kind of, you know, weave in and out of having the competences they need. But I think both now really see that you can't separate technology from governing. You really must have people who understand it at the table when policy is being made.
Speaker 5: Jennifer, how important is education. I'm talking about children at high school, any level in the AI story in this country and globally.
Speaker 13: You know, our kids today are sort of growing up in a very different world than we did. They're getting an education just in their daily lives. I do think they need to understand how these algorithms are going to affect them. As you said earlier, that there may be bias in them, and the degree to which AI is so hard to actually see what is going on under the hood needs to be part of just a basic literacy that our kids get and that needs to be built into policy as well.
Speaker 5: Oh thanks to Jennifer Polker, author of recoding America right. Another story that we're tracking, a new lawsuit is accusing ex Corps formerly known as Twitter, of profiting copyright violations by using music on its platform without permission. A slew of music publishers presented the suit in the Tennessee Federal Court, alleging that Twitter routinely ignored or dragged its feet on takedown notices. Twitter is one of the only major social media platforms that does not pay music rights to holders for licenses to their work. All right, coming up back to it, generative AIS impact on customer service. We talk all about that with may have been co founder and CEO of AI platform writer.
Speaker 3: That's next. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 11: Seventy percent of customer facing time is wasted on non productive work.
Speaker 1: We can now automate a wide variety of interactions.
Speaker 15: When you think about the ability for businesses to serve customers in lower cost, more efficient ways, AI is a huge accelerant to what they're trying to do.
Speaker 11: Our users a lot of that they don't have to do this drudgery. They can spend more time with customers.
Speaker 1: We believe in a human augmented AI.
Speaker 14: Customer AI is really the intersection of all these new capabilities of generative and predictive.
Speaker 1: AI, in combining that with the customer journey.
Speaker 9: Think of this new world where your employees can become even more productive where they don't have to do the mundane boarding routine tasks.
Speaker 11: So it doesn't necessarily mean like limiting their jobs, mean limiting the drudgery from our day to day.
Speaker 5: Those are just some of the thoughts of our guests from this week when it comes to how AI can improve everything from customer service to how employees do their daily jobs. Let's bring him write a CEO and co founder may be for her take on that, because that's what you do, but so does everyone else. Apparently, what is Right's point of differentiation?
Speaker 16: Yeah, thanks Ed, thanks for having me.
Speaker 12: So we are a full stock generitive AI platform. So what that means is we are both the foundation models as well as the application layer on top, and what we allow enterprises to do is build their own generative AI use cases. A lot of the AI that is being built into the applications that are used across the enterprise don't have the enterprise's own data or brand or context, and so the information that is being put in front of folks is just not good enough, and there is a lot of talk about how AI can help people and reduce the drudgery of work. I saw the segment earlier, But professionals don't look at their day as drudgery, and so we are really helping enterprises figure out what are the use cases that bring people and AI together to make everybody just a lot more productive.
Speaker 5: We had my Lund Thompson Bukavec, who's aws Cloud VP on yesterday. Bedrock essentially offers the same thing. What do you make of that argument?
Speaker 12: Sure, so we've got an announcement coming around where our foundation models will be offered, But regardless of that, what we are seeing is this need to connect the output from the generative models to the actual use cases. Right now, at a lot of companies, we have executives almost like deer in the headlights, yes right, really frozen, kind of panicked because you've got AI and AI associated risk being built into a lot of the tools that their employees are using every day.
Speaker 16: They don't really know what to make of it.
Speaker 12: They've got APIs that they can use to access foundation models, but then there's this huge gulf between the technology and how you actually operationalize that.
Speaker 16: And that's where we come in.
Speaker 12: It's the technology and the methodology to actually roll out use cases functioned by function, team by team in ways that actually get adopted.
Speaker 4: Okay, may it's teasing us, what's the announcement?
Speaker 12: So our models can be hosted on prem and in private clouds of enterprises. So it is a really exciting, real jump in the ability for enterprises to control their generative AI rollout. Nobody wants another shadow it apocalypse here with one hundred tools being used across their companies, all of them accessing different models that all have to be risk assessed.
Speaker 16: Nobody wants that.
Speaker 2: Okay, So on prem that's just sort of winning formula visa via cloud offering. It really speaks to me the whole deer in headlights. I feel like most consumers, most people are ultimately deer in headlights at the moment, trying to understand how their world gets upended, how their job gets us upended, but.
Speaker 4: How they ensure that they got the right skill set.
Speaker 2: How are you thinking about your own team, how are you thinking about enterprising you're working with getting their workers into that line of skill set totally.
Speaker 16: The first thing is we've been doing AI since before.
Speaker 12: It was the start of the entire you know, the center of the world's conversation. And so we are not going into enterprises like a hammer looking for a nail.
Speaker 16: We actually start with the workflows themselves.
Speaker 12: So what are your people doing in marketing, in comms, in service, in R and D that has really bottlenecked, and how can AI be used to reinvent the workflow. It's a radically different approach because we are thinking about AI enablement of the individual employee versus here's a shining new tool.
Speaker 16: How can we implement it day to day?
Speaker 5: Wright to raise series A November twenty twenty one, twenty one million dollars hasn't raised any fun since you're making money. Look, we'll have you back on when you're ready to do around. I know you're getting a lot of phone calls from vcs.
Speaker 3: We'll have you back on.
Speaker 5: Mayhabe, writer, co founder and CEO, Thank you for your time. Activision's Blizzard Entertainment unit seeing its biggest launch ever with the release of Diablo four. The action role playing game has already surpassed six hundred and sixty six million dollars in sales, and that was in the first five days, the best opening for a game in Blizzard's history. Delighted to say that joining us now is Rod Ferguson, Blizzard's general manager, but we're basically the head of the entire Diablou universe. So the game comes out June first, and in the first four days, ninety three million hours of gameplay, which is equivalent to ten thousand human years. What is the latest number of gameplay?
Speaker 17: Two weeks later, we're up to three hundred and fifty million hours now players, So it's pretty exciting.
Speaker 5: I think what's so interesting about this is the widespread adoption of the game. Can you tell us which console or platform is Diablo four been played on most?
Speaker 17: Well, I mean it's sort of The Diablo franchise is a long history, has a long history. It's twenty six years old, and it started its roots for really in PC, and so it's kind of that's been its main platform throughout its history. But that's one of the things we really focused on with Diablo four is we wanted to bring Diablo to a wider audience, and as part of that, we really wanted to embrace console and controller play, because you can play with controller on PC. So while PC is the predominant platform that you can play on, we've seen a lot of growth in our console and in fact, Xbox said it was Blizzard's fastest selling Xbox game as well, and so we're really excited about that new audience for bringing in.
Speaker 5: So on that note, I have to then ask, when you think about the Activision Microsoft deal, what is the benefit to the blow universe, how does it help you grow?
Speaker 17: Well, I mean that's all still ongoing, and so you know, we think that the deal is great for competition in the marketplace, and there's a lot of great things that come out of that. But I'm not really the one best to speak to the acquisition.
Speaker 5: Rods that there are already two expansions in development, I believe ye without getting ahead of ourselves, do we and when do we see a Diablo five.
Speaker 1: No, you're definitely getting ahead of yourself.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 17: That's one of the things that we're really excited about is, you know, this is just representing the beginning of the Diablo four experience. You know, this is when we launched this, it was after many years of development, but it really is a game that when we think of the launch as the beginning and not the end. And so what we're seeing is like we're continuing to invest in years and years of live service. So we're going to have quarterly seasons, We're going to have expansions that I talked about. We already have to in flight as I talk to you today, and so we're really focused on making sure, you know, we have all the content that players want. Is players now are very consumptive. They really want to have new content all the time. And it's quite a different mob and making games for you know, twenty four years and it's really changed into gaming as a hobby and as a lifestyle where they always want to know what's next, what's the next thing I get to do in your game? And so we've been really focused at building this great foundation that we can now support for years to come.
Speaker 2: It is about bringing different people into gaming. And indeed you said diversifying the way which you access it.
Speaker 3: What about Max?
Speaker 4: I mean you've had a rather.
Speaker 2: Famous player will Be Goldberg coming out and saying, you know, how can I access it? And ultimately, look at the moment she's wanting what some fully fledged port, which is unlikely.
Speaker 4: How do people play it if they're in a map.
Speaker 1: I think there are ways to do it.
Speaker 17: Like, I don't know that I can officially sanction them, but with some you know, proper searches, I'm sure you can find a way to make that happen. Yeah, it's about you know, when you look at different platforms, you have to look at not only the cost of doing it, but just the opportunity costs about where you're spending your time, and when you think about how many more platforms you support and all the testing you have to do and how you you know, one of the things that have been a live service is we have to be able to update the game really quickly. And the more platforms and the sort of the broader you go, the harder it is to be agile and responsive. And so you know, we never say never. It's something you know, you're always aware of, but like right now, that's that's not one of our supportive platforms.
Speaker 2: Whereas disruption or indeed headaches for you at the moment, rod I think of just the amount of people, talent, new material that you want to bring in to your sphere.
Speaker 4: Thinking of the upending of.
Speaker 2: Content production that's currently happening in the world of movie making, or script writing and people wanting to see more benefits and worried also about generative AI.
Speaker 4: We think about how that's going to eventually be.
Speaker 2: Influencing the world of gaming. How do you lean into that? How do you ensure this macro environment isn't stopping you from growing at the pace you need and want to.
Speaker 17: Yeah, it's really about sort of understanding what your demands are for the content that you have, in the team size you need. Because as I was saying, you know, twenty years ago, when I made a game, you finished it and you went on vacation because there's nothing.
Speaker 1: Else you could do about it.
Speaker 17: And today you finish a game and the next day the players want to know what's new and.
Speaker 3: So you.
Speaker 17: So you have to keep you know, you have.
Speaker 1: To be able to have your team size.
Speaker 17: And your team processes and organizational structure to be that you can work sustainably like you And that's the big focus for us, you know, when you're working on a game like this. We're working on the main game right now, but Season one is finishing up development. Season two development is almost done, Expansion one, Expansion two, so we have these parallel teams.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm sorry, I've got to jump in. I've got to ask you about endgame. There are lots of people not happy about tweaking of endgame the process and that your response very quickly.
Speaker 17: We're day ten, right, and so like I said, we're going to be recording this game for years to come. So there's going to be when you have three hundred and fifty million player hours applied to the game, you're going to find some things that aren't working quite the way you want them to. So we're taking these early times to build a solid foundation and that we can then grow on top of.
Speaker 1: So there's lots of great stuff.
Speaker 17: We're actually doing a devstream this afternoon that we're going to be talking to our players directly about it.
Speaker 5: Now that this interview's done, I will be playing on PlayStation five. By the way, Rod Ferguson, general manager, head of the Avlo Universe, Thank you so much, Caroline.
Speaker 4: What a fully fledged edition of Bloomberg Technology Ed.
Speaker 3: There's more to come, Yeah, so much more.
Speaker 5: Recap the whole week on the podcast wherever you get it, Apple, Spotify, iHeart Twitter, spaces thirty minutes time on the Big take on AI.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg