Speaker 1: Let's talk about the White Sox right now. Jim Margolis joining us from Socks Machine. It's part of the FT Network. Make sure you check out the platform, but also the multiple show slash podcasts per week. Jim, good to see it, and great times for the White Sox. They sweep the Tigers and they're in their best spot they've been in. So how real is it feeling that this team is going to go from one hundred lost season to a division title.
Speaker 2: It's still hard to grasp just because the White Sox have had three hundred lost seasons in a row. Their preseason ambitions were muted in terms of wins and losses. They're still talking about developments versus any kind of tangible goals of a winning record or a wildcat spot.
Speaker 3: Or even the division.
Speaker 2: So to see them sweep the Tigers in Detroit, which finally tilted their fangrafts projections for the postseason. Now they're at sixty three percent. Had been below fifty percent the entire time because it always takes the systems the longest time to catch up.
Speaker 3: To what over performers are doing.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it certainly was a statement series in the sense that they very well could have been swept by Detroit and left America Park in second place and said they turned the tables. They take all three, the rest of the Central has a pretty bad time over the weekend. And now, yeah, you would have to say that if they didn't make the postseason, if they didn't win the Central, it would require it would be a disappointment, depending on the shape of it, depending on how hot other teams have to get, it would be considered a collapse, which is, you know, it's a weird way.
Speaker 3: To think about it.
Speaker 2: But on the other hand, to think that the White Sox are in a position to where it would be a pretty stunning disappointment if they didn't make the postseason based on how they entered the year, I think that reflects ultimately just how charmed their season has been.
Speaker 4: Okay, so charm season. Yeah, we didn't nobody expect it, including Chris Getz in the front office. They didn't build a team expecting to get here. So what do you need to see from this team from now until the postseason? Which you said, hey, it looks like they're gonna make it so that they have success, or does a Sox machine shut down after the first round of the playoffs and say what an amazing season.
Speaker 2: Pitching, basically starting pitching, I think right now is the biggest gap. They have three starters you can pencil in right now. With Davis Martin go on the injured list, there isn't a proven or you tested ready replacement in the miners to fill the spot, So right now you're seeing two TBAs in there are probable pitcher listings. And then Sean Burke his last time out stuff was flatter, missing a tick or to a velocity. He's approaching a career high innings, so you're seeing this rotation. They added Luis Castillo, who should help in terms of having an arm that doesn't require a lot of maintenance.
Speaker 3: The rest of the way.
Speaker 2: But between Burke and Anthony Kay who has never has certainly been through this length of a season Stateside, then Davis Martin signs of him wearing down rookies who are trying to get in the rhythm of a major league season. Noah Schultz didn't quite take David Salin's had some moments but has had more struggles. Drew Thorpe could be back to maybe make his first major league start in two years after Tommy John There are a lot of holes and some candidates to fill those gaps, but there isn't anybody who inspires a whole lot of confidence at this time. So Will Venable has been able to cover for it with creative bullpen use, some long outings. We just saw Sean Newcombe record a two and a third inning save. He hasn't been afraid to go to the bullpen early to play matchups. He's been very proactive, which helps. I think if you're talking about that first round exit, you could see a pitching staff where if they aren't able to find some kind of continuity in the rotation between now and October and they don't have the kind of they still have to kind of play all out to make sure that they lock down a spot because it's nothing's a given yet, then you might wonder if they're going to run out of gas come October. But everybody expects them to tail off at some point, or you know, they had their first four game their last team to lose four games in a row and that finally hits and you're thinking, okay, this is the beginning of the end. It was fun or Detroit finally closes within being a series of first place, and they're the hottest team in the ALE, and a lot of fans who are out expecting this, and a lot of even I would say projection systems, for example. There are a lot of reasons, whether emotional or math, to think that this isn't going to quite hold up. But every time he starts thinking the evidence is mounting against them actually sustaining this, they rally back in a pretty impressive fashion.
Speaker 5: Well, one of the things that helps a pitching staff is a good lineup. And right now, Mirakami has twenty eight homers. Vargas has to twenty eight homers. But I want to touch on Vargas real quick. So what has been the most surprising thing about him? And could you, I guess, make a case that he may be their most complete indispensable player so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been a journey with Vargas, certainly. I think a lot of fans saw how he looked after the trade from the Dodgers, the tweet of him kind of slumped by the dugout rail at the Coliseum, just staring into the distance and thinking like, what's happened to me? And what's happened to the team? I used to enjoy playing for going from the Dodgers to a White Sox team that was on the verge of making the wrong kind of history. But it's just been steady improvements, a lot of adjustments, a lot of no instant fixes. It's been working on the body to get stronger and to maintain weight over the course of entire season. It's been adjustments with hands, with hips, with everything like that, trying to get more power into a swing because he always made good swing decisions like that was always the strength of his game and his prospect profile. It was just not translating to power. It was like translating to a lot of medium, deep flyouts when he first arrived at the White Sox. So he's a testament to the amount of runway the White Socks were able to give him by losing one hundred games three years in a row and last season giving him the audition that a team like the Dodgers could never give him. And that has just been a lot of work on his parts. The coaches tip it back to him saying, no, he's the guy who did the work. He's the guy who believed in making the changes. His twenty twenty five could have been seen as fine, Like, I'm a major leaguer, might be a second division regular or a platoon bat or something like that, but I'm no longer at risk of being optioned to the miners. But he took that and he improved upon it further and he adjusted further. So, yeah, to your point about him being the most valuable regular, I think he is probably the hardest guy to pitch to you in the lineup in terms of play discipline and the ability to make contact within the zone and on the fringes of the zone, and that makes them a difficult out. And then his ability to play a decent third base also gives the team some flexibility in terms of, you know, he's a very good first basement, he's kind of a mediocre third basement, but playable when he's hitting as well as he does. And just the amount of configurations that Venable has for mixing up the infield and rotating guys out and resting guys getting handedness advantages, he certainly plays a big part in that.
Speaker 1: For the families out there looking for a new path to help your child succeed, take a look at K twelve Powered Schools. K twelve offers tuition free, accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade. It's all in a setting that works for your family. And K twelve has been around. They've been a leader in online education for over twenty five years, serving over three million families with flexible education options tailored to each child's needs, interests, and goals for the future. K twelve's dedicated teachers are trained in virtual instruction and they provide real time support. Hey, we've heard Todd fother on here talk about how his kids have gone through homeschooling and it's really helped them for a family that is very much on the move during his playing career. So you can see how K twelve powered schools can help unlock your child's full potential and roll online today at K twelve dot com slash foul. That's the letter K, the number twelve dot com slash foul. K twelve dot com slash foul.
Speaker 4: All right, pull back a little bit. When you look at this team and you've watched this team the entire season. Yes, the record is where it is. It's awesome. Have these young hitters develop the way that you think they needed to develop to be able to be a sustainable winner year after year with a Colson Montgomery, I think he's got like he's got a pretty good shot at striking out two hundred times with the Miguel Vargas, all the stuff you just talked about Antonachi coming up. Have they developed the way that you think is sustainable or is it kind of like, well, you know we've won a lot of games, Well we've hit really well. I don't know certain things are sustainable.
Speaker 2: They have a couple holes I think in their lineup, like they've struggled against teams with really high riding fastballs that can get above the batpath. You can see that mirror Comi and Colson Montgomery have gone quiet in those series. If the pitchers are hitting their spots. So in their current mode where they have a pretty a steep batpath, they are you know, they can be pitched you in a way where you can kind of see them, you know, maybe having a little bit too much reliance on the home run, you know, versus the strikeouts that can pile up. However, since seeing Tristan Peters, he wouldn't kind of a cold spell after the All Star break, after a surprise appearance in the All Star Game. He's come back and provided the kind of flatter batpath, more average oriented bat that is a nice contrast to the middle of the lineup. Antonacci has been that pasted all year at the top of the lineup and is getting better against lefty, so he's less of somebody who needs to be platooned, and Venable can use his right handed bats for other positions of need. You're seeing Chase Mydraft, who has had he had up and down first half wrestling strikeouts versus finding his power swing. But he's set a career hind homer's and now the strikeouts have come down as well, so it seems like he's figured out the balance between when to get his a swing off and when to hunt power versus when to ratcheted back and be more of the all around hitter or gap to gap hitter that he was in Triple A and during his prospect days. So when those guys are clicking, they provide a lot of depth lineup that makes it less reliant on you know, Murakami hitting a homer, Colson Montgomery hitting a homer. It makes it less reliant on Braden Montgomery needing to hit the ground running He's been a little bit up and down, but he's a rookie.
Speaker 3: That's forgivable.
Speaker 2: So I think there's an diversity in the lineup now that Peters is back that I think you can get by with what they have. And then you get to October and everybody is throwing ninety five plus and you're seeing a lot of relievers in short stints and all offenses kind of struggle. So I think they're probably in about as good of a position as they can be, in way better than anybody would have expected at this point. I think everybody saw it as a as a multi year project. There was some progress last year, more progress need to be made, and they made a lot of ground in a hurry.
Speaker 5: So you know, you go from sweeping Detroit and now you're going to face the Cubs at Wrigley. Do you see this as a legitimate test or how do you think this team is measuring up this game as they move forward?
Speaker 3: It's a test.
Speaker 2: I think having the Tigers right in front of it and that series being so crucial to their division race. The Cub series is always big. It's usually some date people circle because the teams are seldom good at the same time, so one team is trying to play for bragging rights and change the storyline in the city for a weekend. But I think with the Tiger Series right in front of it, it did take a little bit of this shine or the focus off the Crosstown series because they had to take care of the business.
Speaker 3: At hand in Detroit, and they did.
Speaker 2: But the emotions, the environment is so charged, whether it's South Side or North Side, that you know, this is not a trap series by any means. Everybody knows the Cubs are good, that they have a deep lineup, they play really good defense. So there's no reason to think, like, you know, should they lose the series that like they took it off or that is emotional letdown. There will be plenty of emotions, you know, coursing through the coursing the Wrigley Field and then they have the braves right after that. You know, it's it's not a week that encourages a letup because the schedule got lighter.
Speaker 4: Do that before I get to my next question, do the players on the White Sox know the South Side North Side? I'd like, are there enough guys that have enough tenure because if aj if aj Perzinsky was on here, he'd be like, oh, man, I hate the I hate the North Side. They're the you know, the bad side. Do these players know the rivalry?
Speaker 2: The quotes in the first half or the first front front end of the series on the season.
Speaker 3: Were temping at best.
Speaker 2: There were a lot of you know, while we take every series important and to their credit, like they were not in position where they could really pick opponents to targets and use themselves to measure against.
Speaker 3: Like they they had to take every series seriously.
Speaker 2: They're in the process of building credibility, both individually on the roster and as a team. So I think the first time around there were a lot of players who are talking about learning the series, looking forward to it, but not really having anything spicy to say, which I think is a disappointment if you're trying to find something to run with for for clip for Twitter, or things to play on sports radio.
Speaker 3: But it's worth watching again.
Speaker 2: Whether it's this series, whether it's next year, to see as these players get some staying power, as they are seen as fixtures on the White Sox and players who are planned around, whether you see the emotions, how loud it gets, how rowdy it gets in the crowd, whether that actually embeds itself in these players and they start, you know, speaking up for the fans the way you know Aj has and other players have.
Speaker 4: All right, speaking of Aj and myself, the catching position, the catching position in the south side is filling the blank.
Speaker 3: Cleveland lights.
Speaker 2: I think right now with Jake Rogers coming aboard, you're seeing them commit to defense, commit to framing, blocking, throwing, game calling. Rogers gives them an experience catcher that they've largely gone without. Edgar Carroll and Kyle Teal became the tandem. Caro had been hitting better, and yet when the ability to add Rogers came up through waivers, they did it, and they sent Carow down to Triple A. And want to give them the everyday playing time there still, but it seems like they are committing to defense, to handling the pitchers, batting them ninth and then whatever offense they provided, and Derromo hit a huge homer against Detroit to get back in the game on Sunday, Like whatever offense or moments they provide the plate is more or less a bonus.
Speaker 4: Okay, So there wasn't any like thing nefarious picking up Jake Rodgers before this Detroit series, like he knew anything or is that just a conspiracy theory.
Speaker 2: It's the Tigers were asked about it, and just they did not indulge that. Everybody's got scouting reports, everybody's got information, everybody you know, everybody's on more or less an equal playing field or even playing field when it comes to just the ability to scout. And some names have changed between the last time Rogers was there too, So yeah, it's it doesn't hurt probably in terms of knowing a little bits. But I think it really came down to pitch handling first, or pitcher handling first, pitch calling, and then perhaps anything else he can impart in terms of whether it's just how to pitch the Detroit's, how Detroit's going to pitch, or just in general like what a veteran catcher provides who has seen a lot. I think is more or less the kind of added bonus points.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's fair, Jim, good stuff, thanks for joining us, and a reminder to everyone for much more White SOX coverage. Socks Machine is the spot and it's part of the FT network.
Speaker 6: Jim, appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 6: There it is nice and pretty on the screen. For you.
Speaker 1: You can smack the QR code on the screen for YouTube or for podcast platforms.
Speaker 6: Jim, Thanks, toxeing, Oh, happy to be here.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 1: We have popin colors for mack Weldon here. I've got a little green shade. You've got a nice blue shade. And what else do you love about mac weldoncrats.
Speaker 4: I can be head to toe with mack Weldon. I have the underwear, I have the shorts, I have the pants, I have the SOPs and obviously we got the shirt and the jackets. But it's head to toe comfort no matter what piece they send. I even have a belt that looks sick.
Speaker 1: And make sure you check out mack Weldon's air Knit X fabric to help you out. Their lightest fabric fused with nylon mesh for maximum airflow skip the midday wardrobe changes. The barely there feel also keeps you feeling more dry and more fresh. You can browse that collection at mackweldon dot com. Don't sweat the heat this summer. It feel as effortlessly cool as you look. With Mack Weldon. Go to Mackweldon dot com and get twenty percent off your first order of one hundred and twenty five bucks or more with promo code foul. That's m A C K W E L d O N dot com code f ou l. Let's talk Twins and where they're at and also what they tried to accomplish a couple of weeks ago at the trade deadline. Dan Hayes joining us right now, can follow him covering the Twins every day for the Athletic and of course on Twin Cities Territory part of the FT network. Dan, if you don't mind, I actually want to start there. We had Mitch Bannon on for his point of view, but can we get your point of view of what the Twins tried to do. They did some things, but what they tried to do even past what they accomplished at the trade deadline and how that could have effected things down the stretch for them.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, I mean they tried to go big.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 7: They got the baseline stuff out of the way early on. They got their starting pitching depth and Dean Kramer, which has proved very useful so far. They got aj Mentor and Jeff Hoffman. They got Hoffman a little bit before the deadline, but I mean they had three days to work on that, and they were pretty confident going to the last day they were going to land him. But they were clearly aiming bigger because with the Angels, before the Angels traded Jose Soriano to the Jays, the Twins were in those conversations. The Cubs were to other teams and the Twins were asking and pursuing. The Angels wanted Walker Jenkins. The Twins did not want a part of that. I think that's the one guy that they were not gonna mortgage the future on. But they tried to talk to him about Zach Needo also, and it was always Walker Jenkins was the starting point there when with the Angels, you know, so clearly they looked at I thought zach Needo was the interesting part because, look, the Twins had Kalen Culpepper ready to go at the top of the minor leagues. He debuted Friday after the deadline in Milwaukee. But the Twins pursued Nido, knowing he had three plus years and that he has an accomplished shortstop and already here. And I thought that was pretty interesting just because it states how much they wanted to go for it. They ultimately chose not to again. Jenkins wasn't gonna be somebody they wanted to part with. But then when Soriano got traded over to the Jays, they continued to pursue them. With the Jays. Now, look, they were already talking to the J's about Jeff Hoffman, so the conversation just sort of came up. As what I was told was, they were like, oh, how did that happen? You know, like they're they're talking to these guys a lot. The Twins and the Jays have made quite a few deals over the last couple years. Louis Varland, Tommy Nants earlier in July, so they had some you know, they were having a little bit of a conversation and they said, like, how did that come about? And they thought that the Jays responded enough where there was an opening, so they just pursued Soriano. And it sounds like the Jay has never really entertained it because the Jays were kind of sitting there and like the second piece was going to be something along the lines of Riley Quick, and the Twins didn't that's their top pitching prospect. They didn't want to do a Kaitlin Culpepper, Riley Quick and that didn't go anywhere. That converse didn't go anywhere, But I think it kind of does reveal the mindset of where they're trying to go. And you know, we heard about it back in spring training. I don't think anybody took it serious, but the Twins were in that from or Valdez kind of sweepstakes that materialized late in January, right before spring training, and they thought they'd made a significant offer. Detroit obviously came along and blew out of the water, but the Twins were trying to make a play there, and it's just kind of where the owner is now. The owners trying to win back fans desperately because the fans have tuned them out and they're going to be down from last year most likely with attendance, and last year was one point seven million, So they're trying to basically win back fans that have been disappointed since the end of the twenty twenty three season with that payroll cut and then not adding it to twenty four deadline and then trading everybody at the twenty five deadline. So they're trying to reverse course and kind of, as the owner said, make bold moves, aggressive moves, that people wouldn't expect from us, And you know, to some degree, not to the two hundred and forty million that the Padres had a couple of years ago, but to some degree they see the Padres as a team that they'd like to kind of emulate, that goes out and makes moves and you know, has a great roster everybody's looking at every year. And I think one reason they can at least entertain this is that there's enough young talent on the roster where they could fill in with more expensive players now achieving that convincing people to come to Minnesota that's not easy, Like this is definitely a tough sell players and free agency. You're subjecting yourself to cold in April May and that that could be a very tough sell. But it's ideally where they want to go, and it's definitely a one to eighty from where you know, I think everybody thought they were totally totally.
Speaker 4: I was one of the people that said, yeah, they're definitely lying. But all that aggressiveness, you look at Soriano, you look at netto two three years of troll still, is that what the Twins look at with this team? Are they right that this position player Corps has because they always develop bullpen arms. Right, Obviously it'd be nice to have Louis Varland, but they've always developed bullpen arms. They have Joe Ryan, they had, you know, they have some pitching out there. Is this the core that they're looking? Okay, we have three years because Buxton's contract's going to be gone, and are they right in making this move or are they just trying to buy their friends?
Speaker 7: It's it's a good question, but I do think there have been signs that this is the right group. Look, Brooksley is having a good season, his nineteenth home run Grand Slam yesterday. Royce Lewis has shown a lot of signs. He in May, his career looked like it was pretty much on the ropes, and he's responded with an eight hundred plus OPS for more than two months since he came back from he's cut down his strikeouts. He looks like the guy again. You have Luke Kishaw, who since as a four hundred OPS sorry on base percentage and like an eight hundred OPS. They got to find him a position where he's comfortable, or get him comfortable in the outfield. But like that guy's a gamer. He gets on base, you look at those moves, they think that Walker Jenkins coming. They're really excited about Von Lackey, who they drafted in July. I don't think they look at him as being a long ways away. And so when you have those young pieces, I mean, especially with the progress that Lee and Lewis have made this year, Like who knew going into this year what they were going to be if they could do enough. And there still needs to be more improvement, but I think the signs they've seen suggest those guys can be players that they can build around, and then you go and get bigger pieces in different spots. I don't know how you do it, because there's so much in the outfield too. Right, you have Buckston and he's in for a couple more years. I think his contract expires after twenty eight, but he's he's got a couple more years, and Walker Jenkins and Emmanuel Rodriguez are there in the minor leagues. It like, I don't know where you spend unless you go out and spend on pitching. It's going to be interesting because like do you get a DH you know they're gonna they're I think they see this as that window and they just need to do anything to attract fans because it hasn't worked. What you know, this is a team that drew two point three million in twenty nineteen and it's gone downhill since then. I think they would have been in line for a good, good attendance boosts in twenty twenty four, but you cut payroll by thirty million and disappointed your fans less than a month after you won your first playoff series in twenty one years, And that was just a huge mistake. It may have saved them money in the short term, but it cost them in the long term. I mean, we're probably look at a team that would have drawn two million that year, and they were seventy and fifty three at one point in twenty twenty four and looking like they're streaking towards the playoffs, and they ran out of gas because they really didn't add anything to the deadline. That's I think something that they realized they disappointed fans so much that they just have to be aggressive and do things that people don't expect them to do. So I don't know, I don't know how it looks, but I see that they're you know, they've talked about it. They've talked about a lot. Tom pole Adds the new point man is for ownership. He took over after the partial sale in December, and he's gone on record with this a lot, and that has not been something we've seen from Twins ownership before in the forty plus years of the pole Add family owning it. He's been aggressive with his his thoughts publicly and basically saying we're going to do this. And you know it's it's one thing to say that privately and not, you know, have it be on the record, but by putting it on the record, you're going to get called out if you're not living up to this stuff. And I thought the deadline was solid. They did a good job. They got the baseline stuff they needed. I like probably a B or a B minus on their grade for that. But they did a good job of going and getting guys and they said they were gonna do that, and it was it was one small step to try and win back the fan base. There need to be a lot more steps to win back the fan base.
Speaker 8: Sea Geek is the official ticket marketplace for Major League Baseball, and anytime you want to go to a game, you should go to Sea Geek. I used to call the director of team travel. I used to call the traveling secretary whatever they want to be called KP to try to get a seat. But on Sea Geek, I can pick my own seat, and I can pick where I want to sit instead of being told where to sit.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's a great option. And summer is coming to an end here soon. I'm going out and finding all the day games possible, all the warm weather cities so I could stay in this tank top. I can watch very competitive baseball as the calendar turns into fall. I want to make sure that I get the most out of this tank top and warm weather and Sea Geek is where I would go and get my seats.
Speaker 8: You can use code ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at SIKI. That's ten percent off MLB tickets with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 5: Yeah, hopefully they're starting to go in the right direction with that, because yeah, it's when you said the attendance numbers, it's mind blowing. So hopefully they're getting back to where they need to be to be contenders. But this past series they lost seven to one, nine to one, and then they blew a five zero lead on Sunday. Do you think that that was just one of those bad series or do you think the Phillies expose something And how do you think that stands? What information did you pull to where it gives you information on if they are true a playoff contender.
Speaker 7: Well, the Twins have an interleague problem. I mean, they're thirteen and twenty six against the National League this year and tonight it gets no easier. Atlanta comes to town and there's two lefties and the Twins have not been able to hit lefties very well. You look at and they go from here to San Diego. So basically they are in this just terrible stretch for them schedule wise, and they need to figure it out because Sunday was pretty crushing to have the five nothing lead and it slipped and you know, they it blew up on them fast. And I will say a post game was a little bit tense manager's office. It was a short session. You could tell that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: It was disappointing weekend. They did not play well in the field of dreams and nationally televised game. They were almost on Saturday night within they were an instant replay overturn of Keishel getting thrown out at the plate from tying the game, and it would have been one to one in the fifth inning, and then all of a sudden, you look up and it's eight to one in that game is or eight to nothing and that game is over. So Sunday they thought they had it and they had their bullpen in place, and it just didn't happen again. Philly's the middle of that lineup was very effective during the last two games of this series. Alec Bahum had seven hits. I don't think Alec Bohm will ever be invited back to target field. You know, they like the three run homer yesterday was crushing, but then he blooped a single in down the line to write and it's one of those it's in no man's land and it, you know, ties the game and then an Opo base hit for to pull ahead. I mean, it was just one of those days where it's like everything that could go wrong went wrong. Austin Martin got hurt on trying to track down a Louis Aurri's opposite field double that hit off his glove and he's on the I l that they placed him on the aisle, I will say. Talking to Byron Bucks and afterwards, like he he stressed that the guys are treating it the same and that they are in the same mindset that you know, things haven't changed, but it did still feel a little bit more tense around there, and I think they do recognize they're in a very tough stretch right now. They you know, just a week and a half ago they were at five hundred and here they are five games under and starting to see some distance between them and the White Sox. It's six games back in the division and then also even in the wildcard race, and the one thing that's been lucky for them all season is nobody's really pulled away in the wildcard race. I think they're one and a half back right now in that sixteen blog for the third spot. That's that part's encouraging that it's still there for them, But that's a lot of teams to keep track of and beat out, and unless you start taking care of business, I mean, it's not going to be there. So I think they understand that. But also I you know, talking to guys, they didn't seem to be flustered. That's been one of those team's strengths all year. Just when it seems like it's over to everybody else, they turn it around. And they have done that. But it's a really tough stretch right now to turn it around, given it's the Braves and then the Padres on the road.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, they fired rockoball Deli and now under Shelton this team is playing better? Is it Shelton? Is it not? Is Rocko getting too much credit for what he did or didn't do from last year? Where is this at? And is that mindset a manager's mindset directly tied to Derek Schell.
Speaker 7: Look, I will say the new energy, the new life certainly has been appreciated, There's no question. I think everybody there was a like I truly think the thirty million dollars payroll and then not seeing ads at the deadline in twenty four just put a sour taste on everything for a lot of people. And I think it, you know, they felt like they were up against it, they had to do it with limited resources, and that when it didn't happen. They pulled the plug in twenty twenty five and that team was barely out of it. However, the league wasn't nearly as bad as it was as bad as it is this year the American League, but you know, they had a similar record where they were, so there is a new energy around it. I think the players in the clubhouse really love what Derek Shelton's brought's. He's personable, he's close to a lot of them. You know, he's a communication kind of first guy, and when it's been tough decisions made. When they told Luke Keishall at first that hey, you know, we know you drafted you as a second baseman. We know that's the position you've played most of your career, but we're going to replace you defensively late in games. He had a conversation with him about it and was just give him a heads up, but then went back and kind of talked over a second time with him. He said, that's something he learned in Pittsburgh, was the importance of that communication. And I remember talking to Keishall about it two days later and his response was, you know, he went out of his way to look out for me, just so I wasn't blindsided by stuff, and I really appreciated him doing that. And you can find that conversation having happened over and over and over with players in the clubhouse, and Keishall was responded. I think he had an extra base hit that was critical in a victory, like the next day after he got replaced defensively, and I think, you know, those kinds of things have mattered with these guys. I think that Shelton's approached it just a little bit different. There seems to be just one. I mean, the coaching staff is Grady Sizemore and it has LaTroy Hawkins as the bullpen coach. Guys love the coaching staff. They've talked about that openly. They trust the coaching staff. I remember early in the season Trevor Larnox saying, and as he's being platooned, he talked to the veterans. The veterans said, this coaching staff is really good, and they all trusted that, and they kind of just bought in. And I think that has gotten them some extra mileage. Now they have the parts in the bullpen to get through. They didn't have those bullpen pieces in April, in May and they got some as it slowly developed. Yo wenders Gomez they got as a find for cash in a trade for cash with the Rays in late April. He's developed in to a nice ninth inning guy. Andrew Morris is having a little bit of a rut as a rookie you know does in the bullpen. It's not unexpected right now, but like he's been critical to them. And then they went out and added aj Minter, and they added Tommy Nance, and they added Jeff Hoffman, and they built out the debt. But the starting rotation has struggled lately. They're giving up two many first name runs. They're just constantly playing from behind, and that's been pretty troubling for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, underrated coaching staff for what they've done this year. I'm with you on that one. Dan, thanks for joining us a lot more of this of course on mile or mile high on Twin Cities territory. Dan, thank you, appreciate.
Speaker 7: You all right, guys, thanks there.
Speaker 6: It is Twin Cities for you subscribe to it.
Speaker 1: There is a mile high, but Twin Cities for this one. Talking twins, Zach Peerce, Tyler Duffie former twin and Dan who was just with us, Go check it out