Speaker 1: Everybody is bill courted with an army and normal folks. And we continue now a part two of our conversation with Dan Jarvis. Right after these brief messages from our general sponsors. That's heartbreaking to me.
Speaker 2: Well, I was in a position where I didn't know what to do, Like do I self refer.
Speaker 3: To mental health? I mean you're drinking. I'm drinking just to calmin just so I can.
Speaker 1: Sleep, which explains alcoholism and a number of vents. Yes, they're self medicating.
Speaker 2: When they go in the Olympic hijack. The nervous system is pegged. So think of an engine and a thousand RPMs at idols and then you hit the gas pedal and you're up to seventy five hundred RPMs.
Speaker 1: An engine can't last long there.
Speaker 3: And people are the same way.
Speaker 2: So that engine in the brain opens up the entire nervous system and it's just you go through these cycles up and usually it's like ninety second waves and it just keeps going and keeps going.
Speaker 1: But those not How often do you feel that in a day?
Speaker 3: It depends depends on the intensity.
Speaker 2: If you can keep your brain occupied, you know you can do okay.
Speaker 1: It almost sounds like a guy getting off the meth. I know that sounds weird, No, but seriously, I've interviewed and I have a friend. Actually, I was talking with that friend this weekend and asked him how he's doing with his demon and he's been cleaned for three years, and he's like, I still think about us some. And he said, but you know what, as long as I stay working or as long as I stay busy, I never feel it. It's when I get downtime or boredom it comes back. And I am in no way comparing our veterans to folks that have a drug add what I'm saying is I kind of get what they're saying about. As long as they keep their brain active, they don't go through one of those triggering things. And I guess if your brain is hijacked, as long as you're staying busy, working, or maybe still active in the military and theater, it doesn't happen as much. It's when you don't keep your mind occupied that the hijacking takes over.
Speaker 3: And is it right, No, it's your one hundred percent on target.
Speaker 2: So like a lot of us, when we come back from combat theater, we have a hard adjustment because the brain is hardwired for the fight or flight, So like.
Speaker 1: Has become hardwired's as a result of the environment and the experience constantly.
Speaker 2: See what ends up happening is when your brain is in survival mode because every day you're in combat and combat actions are happening, troop tics, troops in contact, are going on id's are going off indirect fires, and in your brain is in a heightened fight or flight response. And I'll give you a prime example of it at all times, at all times. So they say that one hundred percent of the guys when they come back for more would be diagnosable PTSD right because they're still in the fight or flight. And then over time the brain reprocesses things out. But here's the way that that part of the brain is supposed to work. And I'll give you the first time we took contact in Afghanistan. We're having a leadership meeting in our plateen leader and platoon sergeant's area and I heard this in the distance and I looked at everybody and I said, we're about to take contact. And they're all looking at me like what I said, We're about to take contact. And then about ten to fifteen seconds later, rounds blew up about twenty meters from we were. We took our first casualties, and then afterwards those guys were, how did you How did you know that was going to happen? I said, because the hair on the back of my neck stood up when I heard the thumb.
Speaker 1: Because it's the thumb the munition leaving whatever tube it's in.
Speaker 3: It's the pooh, the point of origin.
Speaker 2: So and the way I say that is because in two thousand and seven, when I'm in Iraq, I'm a sergeant of the Guard. We're getting relieved by the top mountain guys, and I heard a thump in the distance and I went on the radio, said anybody hear that?
Speaker 3: And yeah, it came from the south.
Speaker 2: And then about fifteen seconds later, one hundred and twenty two millimeter or chillier round detonated on top of the Hesco barrier, which was only about fifteen feet from me. And basically that was one of my first big concussions. So that thump in seven activated the nervous system in twenty eleven. Wow, that's what the brain is supposed to do. It's like the alarm went off right that's the context that alarm is supposed to go off, not when we're back home and we hear the fireworks on the fourth of July. We hear the fireworks on the fourth of July, that alarm goes off, and that's what triggers a lot of your vets.
Speaker 1: It's funny because if you go down like in Memphis, we have our big Fourth of July thing on the river. But I'm not talking about yard Fourth of July. I'm talking about the big firework show. If you pay attention before the big explosion the sky, you we're here that they're shooting those things up in the air, and that's exactly what stops that's it was that. But if you're at the river and you hear that thump, you're immediately going to go.
Speaker 2: To If you're a VET with PTSD, you're immediately going to go back to Iraq or Afghanistan or Syria or wherever you heard of that the first time, and then the nervous system will open back up. Now a lot of us are just like, Okay, we're safe, we know that. But in the moment a person that's struggling with PTS, their brain doesn't tell them hey, this is not They think it's real and they think it's happening, and then their nervous system reacts. That's what they call like the flashback moment, where all of a sudden, you're diving for cover because you hear that thump and you think indirect fires coming in and then you realize, oh, I'm here, I'm.
Speaker 3: Safe, right, but your nervous system is still going.
Speaker 1: So you got that going on. Your brain's hijacked. You're filling all kinds of guilt. Yeah, first, thank god you didn't. What happened is your thinking about lights out.
Speaker 2: So I think what it came down to was, I'm like, do I do I ask for help? This is myself talk before do I ask for help? Or I'm like, man, if my commander finds out, they're going to put me in the barracks, they're going to take my guns away. My men aren't going to respect me. That's the language that's going on. And I'm like, well, do I do I call EAP what's like an employee assistance program outside of the military, And I'm like, no, they're still going to let the commanders are still going to find out that I'm getting treatment. So that's why suicide became the better option, right, and this ridiculous.
Speaker 3: It should not be that way, and so.
Speaker 1: You would rather kill yourself than lose face and standing with your unit and your commander.
Speaker 3: Man, But that's the problem with a lot of us.
Speaker 1: Is that biggest stigma over it in the military, Yeah, there is. That's a real thing.
Speaker 2: I think they're starting to be a little bit more open minded to it because if you really go into the numbers of suicides of active duty forces, the highest numbers is in the special operations community. So it's obviously got nothing to do with psychological weakness. But that's that's the dialogue that we tell ourselves, because.
Speaker 1: You don't get into special forces unless you're a high speed anyway, right.
Speaker 2: And you're and they're evaluated from a psychological perspective before they even get there, right, And so if they're having that problem, you know what's what? It's not a weakness thing, right, but we all look at it as it's a weakness. At least that was a dialogue that I because I would make fun of those guys beforehand.
Speaker 1: And you're one of.
Speaker 2: Them, and now all of a sudden, I'm wait a minute, I'm I'm I'm sure I was a drill sergeant between two combat tours. I had already been a police officer. Why am I having these problems? I'm tougher than this. And thank god it was the kids in the apartment above me that ran across my sailing when I was at the moment, and I'm like, Okay, that's a horrible idea because that that rifle round will go right through that floor. I didn't want to hurt a kid. I mean, I'm literally playing this out of my mind. I'm like, man, that was stupid. So I passed out. Want to sleep that same night? Yeah, I passed because I'm self medicating. Right, That's how I would sleep if I didn't. If I didn't drink, I wasn't sleeping. And does the drinking turn off the highjacking? Yes, it numbs it.
Speaker 3: Well, the it's a central nervous system depressant.
Speaker 1: That well, that makes complete sense.
Speaker 2: Alcohol is when the anxiety goes up, when the PTS, which is PTS is the highest warm anxiety. When it goes up, alcohol will quiet it back down. It'll just it'll numb it out. You won't feel it for a while, right, And that's a sense of normal It becomes a sense of normalcy. But the problem is you end up being being depressed because you're not processing, because.
Speaker 1: It's alcohol, and because it's it's a depressant.
Speaker 3: It's a depressant, so.
Speaker 1: Which exacerbates it. Actually, once you sober up, yeah, it makes it because then a spiral. Yeah, it's a horrible spiral. And that's part of the problem is trying to identify that. Right.
Speaker 2: So the next morning after that, with the kids above me in the apartment, I get my phone rings probably eight o'clock, I think it was a Saturday morning, and Ryan was one of my soldiers.
Speaker 3: He goes, hey, sarm Jarvis, did you hear about Corey?
Speaker 2: Right, that's a word when everybody, if you're in the military, somebody says that they're either dead.
Speaker 3: Or engine Did you hear about did you hear everything behind that?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, nobody, what happened? So Corey shot and killed himself last night. So Corey was a twenty I think it was twenty one or twenty two year old soldier from the platoon I had just come from. So I went from a line unit, you know, Proble Company, one of the platoons up to headquarters because I got put on a desk, which was what's That's what caused me to spiral, because I had time to now you're out. Now I'm out of the action, and I'm behind a desk and I'm thinking. And Corey just he killed himself the same night that I was and serena, Wow. So I couldn't imagine, you know, And I do say this, Corey saved my life, unfortunately when he took his own so doing the memorial service, preparing, you know, to do the send off, let guys get closured. When I saw how it affected the guys, I realized, Okay, I cannot go out this way. I cannot give permission to my men to do this. And I just continued to drink and so I'll medicate.
Speaker 1: Because because now the fear of letting your men down was greater than the other fear.
Speaker 3: The fear was not letting them down, but giving them permission.
Speaker 1: Oh oh oh yeah.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to green light one of those guys.
Speaker 1: To do the same thing, because you knew they were all struggling.
Speaker 3: They're all struggling.
Speaker 4: One other thing we didn't name. I think Nils Jargonson said this well too. Obviously you want to say face of your man and with your commander. But also Nill's put it like he dealt with a lot of the same things. After nine to eleven he was FDNY, and he said, and they actually took it more out of the FDNY once he got cancer, so he lost his career, and he said, they took away my priesthood. So it's like you're taking away everything, like your entire identity if they kick you out, or you're losing your position because of it too.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 1: I mean, I got another question to get to, but I'm just going to say this. I just have such deep empathy for a person who chooses to serve their country and on a relationship with brothers in arms and risk their lives for one another to end up in an apartment drunk, contemplating suicide, because that's the work.
Speaker 3: It's a story.
Speaker 1: It's horrible.
Speaker 3: It's a story you hear regularly.
Speaker 1: And that's the problem is your story is I mean, it feels very personal sitting across from you hearing it. But the very truth then it is not uncommon. It's very common, you know, which leads me to what are the numbers twenty two and zero mean.
Speaker 2: So twenty two was originally the accepted numbers of suicides per day by vets.
Speaker 1: Per day, per day, and we're losing more veterans for suicide. I did the mad when I read that. I looked it up. That's more than we lost in theater per day.
Speaker 3: Totally.
Speaker 1: We're losing more men at home than we did fighting in Afghanistan in Iraq.
Speaker 3: That's nuts.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a system that we have, right, So the VA came back and they tried to revamp those numbers of that. I think they claim its seventeen and a half. Oh, well, that's so much better, so much better, right, because they forgot to add Texas and California in those numbers, which the two big right.
Speaker 3: Which I'm pretty sure it would go the other direction.
Speaker 1: But what does zero mean?
Speaker 3: The goal is to not have any suicides.
Speaker 2: The goal is zero, you know, because even in the first responder world, we lose more cops to suicide than line of duty deaths. Same thing with firefighters, all right, And it's just trauma, right, not knowing how to handle the nervous system.
Speaker 1: It's that whole amigula being hotjick, right.
Speaker 2: If think about it this way and the way I explained it to people. Have you ever felt like you were so scared that you thought you were going to die?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Almost ground once, And yes, I do know that they legitimately.
Speaker 3: That legitimate feeling.
Speaker 2: Now imagine it's every day, every hour, every minute. That's the problem is the nervous system gets so overstimulated and it dumps chemicals into your bloodstream, your cortisol, your adrenaline. You guys are ending up with a drenal fatigue. They're just exhausted. They can't rest, they can't recover. It's a lot of them numb things out. So when you numb things out, you can't even feel the good feelings, and that becomes your normal, and that becomes what these men and women don't want to deal with.
Speaker 1: I actually have had the drowning thing happened about ten years ago, but I actually have had not too long ago, recently. It's so weird that you asked that question to me, because I have had I've woken up with a sense of dread because I dreamed. I had a dream, a recollection dream. I don't know what the words are of that moment, and it's scary and I'm just thinking about that one little time. I wouldn't be an attack to think of that going on.
Speaker 3: But it's still a life or death moment, but it is.
Speaker 1: But you're saying that's happening petually, perpetually, every hour, every day, every.
Speaker 3: Hour, every day. It depends, I'm on how intense the symptoms are.
Speaker 2: It's some people every hour every day, once a week, some people it's three times a week.
Speaker 3: Some people it's every single day.
Speaker 2: So when you get to that point where your stress loads and your nervous system is just going and it's firing and it's firing and all those chemicals, you know, I use a metaphor of a box of crayons, right, I tell my marines, this has got nothing to do with you guys. For as a marine out there, I'm not talking about you guys. We have an eight pack of crayons. We know what our emotions are. We have eight of them that we're pretty comfortable with. The ladies ore there they got a sixteen pack and we're like, what the heck is that emotion that you're doing.
Speaker 1: My wife's got the fifty four pack.
Speaker 3: But then we throw in the sixty four pack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sixty four, which is trauma.
Speaker 3: And we don't understand what future looks like. You don't understand what future fusia the color fusia.
Speaker 2: You show those emotions compiled because what happened is your body will dump them all in the system at the same time, good emotions, bad emotions, and different emotions.
Speaker 3: And it overwhelms the nervous system.
Speaker 2: That's the feeling of overwhelm that you just don't know how to process what is this? And it goes in those cycles, that waves of ninety seconds, and that ninety seconds feels like an eternity because what happens when you go into that limbic hijack. Think of your brain requiring resources, right, it needs survival mode needs resources. So what's the first thing They get shut off? Prefrontal cortex, logic brain, thinking brain gets shut down. That's also where our empathy centers are. So you're losing empathy. So you lose the empathy for anybody in your world, right, not intentionally, it's just that part of the brain turns off. So when you get into that emotional overwhelm, you lose empathy, you lose the logic, you lose decision making, you lose impulse control, because that's also prefrontal cortex, and that's when guys do it right, not realizing because they're out of the frontal part of the brain.
Speaker 3: They're in the back of the brain.
Speaker 1: Can then also manifest itself instead of in suicide, can it manifest itself in screamate a spouse or children, or even getting into fights and abuse, all of that same.
Speaker 2: Stuff one hundred percent of the same thing. So when a person gets into a triggered state, right, they lose that prefrontal cortex, they lose empathy. And I always talk to groups of vets and I'll ask him, all right, who in this room has said something to the person they love and care about the most? And five minutes later we're like, oh my god, I can't believe I said that. Everybody's hands goes up because they the brain resources shut off that front part of the brain, and then all of a sudden they're saying something in anger, not realizing because they can't connect to that person.
Speaker 1: And you're saying scientifically, at that moment, they literally cannot control.
Speaker 2: It correct until that limbic releases, until they come out of that and the empathy can start coming back.
Speaker 3: It's what's getting our law enforcement in trouble. Right.
Speaker 1: I was just about to say to cop, is this why cops? An otherwise normal, nice guy ends up beating that out of somebody for twenty seconds because he's.
Speaker 3: In Olympic hijack.
Speaker 2: The amigdala is taking over and the logic impulse is gone and the empathy is gone. You can see law enforcement also is getting in trouble all over the place. And there's people that go around that's their whole job. They want to get cops triggered and let them do.
Speaker 3: Something so they can sue the department. Right, So we had a.
Speaker 1: And there's also to be clear, there's also some just bad human beings that are cops. But those are very very very very very very very very infinitest SMaL percentage.
Speaker 2: What are the ones that I'm talking about? Are the ones that lose control that you would never expect.
Speaker 1: That to happen to And it happens.
Speaker 3: It happens, and.
Speaker 2: A career can be over in a second, a life can be over in a second. You know, a lot of those folks get into those limbic hijacks. There was a sergeant down to Sunrise Florida, and there was a young black male. He was in custody, hands cut, but he was just running his gator, right. He's in the back of the patrol car ready, he's not going anywhere.
Speaker 3: Let him run their gators, right.
Speaker 2: And this sergeant arrives on seeing everybody's body cams are out, and he goes into the back of the patrol car.
Speaker 3: He's got his pepper spray out.
Speaker 2: And he's mfing this kid, and a female police officer reaches to his duty belt because what they trained him do to de escalate it pulls him away. So what does he do in that moment he's in He's enraged, right, He turns to her and puts his hands on her throat and starts pushing her back and mfing her. He was in the hijack right now, All of a sudden, he's a convicted felon because he ended up getting arrested in charge with the battery and a law enforcement officer because that's what he did, right, all because the LIMPIC system overactivated from something that was probably twenty years prior. So think of it in the terms of because I work law enforcement too, so I'm deeply passionate about trying to shift some of the culture and law enforcement because I've seen guys.
Speaker 3: Overreact on the job. Right, I've probably overreacted plenty of.
Speaker 2: Times on the job, but a lot of them are losing it, and they're losing their careers over it, or they're losing.
Speaker 3: Their lives over.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back. It's funny you hear the public talk about, gosh, these cops and their egos. Why can't they just look, I was speeding, fine, give me a ticket. You don't have to be such a jerk about it. And you know, they have these massive egos. They walk around like they own the place, and candidly, if you take yourself out of it, you kind of get where people are coming from. Because the cop is the one person walk around the streets that can actually take the one thing that's the most valuable to you, which is your liberty, and you would like them to not also be so fricking intimidating. But if you walk in the shoes of.
Speaker 3: The cop and you listen to what you're saying.
Speaker 2: We outsource trauma to our police and firefighters right a place.
Speaker 1: Interesting say that again.
Speaker 2: We outsource our trauma to police officers and firefighters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you may be the very one I'm talking about saying what you're saying, but the minute something goes bad, you're calling that one one exactly, you're outsourcing your issues.
Speaker 2: But the trauma that the police officers and the firefighters have to endure because they agree to do that and our community sends them to do the job.
Speaker 3: Right. So there's a study with one hundred.
Speaker 2: And in a thirty year career, one hundred and eighty eight traumatic events may be experienced by a police officer, and if you put a civilian side by side, maybe two or three in that same timeframe.
Speaker 3: That's one of the reasons why they're dying so young. One hundred and eighty eight for a cop.
Speaker 2: Traumatic events personally life or death to the police officer. And that's not even at all because not every critical incident is traumatic to a police officer.
Speaker 1: Where I may have experienced three over the course of my life, if you, as an officer, would experience hundred eighty eight, what about an officer that was a vat those numbers are.
Speaker 2: Right, If they're a combat vet, they may have had close to that many in a single deployment.
Speaker 3: Right. Think about if you.
Speaker 2: Were a marine in a Fallujah, or a marine or a soldier you know in Ramadi n O six when a lot of those guys didn't know they were going to come home or not because it was day in and day out. Right, think about your you know World War two vets that are still walking around today, right, I mean, imagine if you were on Normandy and D Day, how long did that go on for?
Speaker 1: And Vietnam?
Speaker 2: How many events did they experience in that So they may have an entire career's worth of trauma in that short period of time. But even because there's a very close similarity between what a soldier on the battlefield fields and what a police officer feels. When I first got into Iraq and we did our first mission, I'm like, wow, this eerily feels like being a cop, same kind of feeling, same kind of heightened.
Speaker 1: Firefight, bigger guns, baagger guns.
Speaker 3: I felt safer in Iraq because I had a.
Speaker 2: Whole p two of infantry guys, right, I had a bunch of twenty year olds and fifty cows. So but yeah, I'd love to see the culture and law enforcement change.
Speaker 1: So initially you started twenty two zero yes to do what the.
Speaker 2: Goal was to take twenty two veterans suicides at eight of zero. That was the initial goal. That's when I first met Scott Man. So my paradigm change happened in twenty eighteen. So a little bit of backstory. My wife and I were divorced now, but we got married after military, and I was a deputy sheriff for Pole County, Florida. And when I went back into law enforcement, I felt early normal again, really I did.
Speaker 1: Because it was at least back close.
Speaker 3: To felt very close to what it felt like being in the military.
Speaker 2: So when I'm in my patrol car and I got my uniform on, I'm carrying a gun, I'm operating at a fire flight response. So when that uniform came off, that's when I felt like the fish out of water. Just like when I went from the line infantry unit to a desk, I felt like a fish out of water.
Speaker 3: It's why they always want to go back to war.
Speaker 1: So you felt like a fish out of water when you went home.
Speaker 2: I felt like a fish out of water when I went home, like I don't belong here, this is not where, this is not where I'm comfortable.
Speaker 1: And again that is not necessarily uncommon. Correct, that is horrific.
Speaker 2: Well, there's the reason why a lot of that's get involved with mixed martial arts, right because you're fighting on a mat.
Speaker 3: Your brain's function in the way it's you feel normal there. You've been wired that you're wired that way, you know. But the really cool part is when you can.
Speaker 1: Unwire it, so that takes us through healing the hero and the getting unwired part is this. This is where first of all, I have sat here in all of the stories in you, like I hope most of my listeners right now have. But now we're kind of flipping to where we get to to hopefully take that perspective and understanding from your very real explanations and very personal explanations into the psychology of what Healing the Heroes about. I think it's interesting that your first exposure to it you thought it was hocus pocus, I mean, those are my words. And then how you became a believer in this work, and then what you're doing with this work and what's happening with this work. And I'm going to let you start at the beginning and just take us through it because it's fascinating to me because now we're switching into that psychology part that I find fascinating.
Speaker 2: I prefer the word neurology to psychology, and you'll understand here in a minute.
Speaker 3: Neurology is a nervous system.
Speaker 2: Right when I left the sheriff's office, you know, well, my wife was a civilian level administrator, and she was worried because I didn't have a filter. Right, she was worried I was going to say something they would cause her to get called into the boss's office.
Speaker 3: Right, because I did. I had a very very short fuse because I was still hard wired that way. And when I.
Speaker 1: Left line you a scary person.
Speaker 2: I don't think I was, but there may be some people. A lot of people say I would intimidate them. I mean, I was a drill sergeant, so I was scary for a part of my career, right, No.
Speaker 1: I'm talking after when you got back.
Speaker 2: That's a Again, I don't think I was, But at the same time, I wasn't thinking clearly, so it's possible.
Speaker 1: I just think if you were hijacked and frontal lobe was turned off half the time and you lacked empathy, that maybe you wouldn't have even known if you were scary right, which again feels common for people. I'm trying to put a face and an understanding on what that is. When you see it, when I see it, when our listeners see it, you.
Speaker 2: Know well, I mean, there's enough video evidence out there to show all the Karens out there, people getting super triggered.
Speaker 3: It's pretty noticeable when you see it.
Speaker 2: If you see a cop triggered, or you know you're seeing somebody in school or juvenile.
Speaker 3: It doesn't take much.
Speaker 2: Kids are easy to trigger because they're developing and they're still already in the especially.
Speaker 1: Kids that grow up in kang ridden neighborhoods. They've experienced all kinds of trauma. I mean Memphis, let's look at Memphis. There is so much tu I've coached them for thirty years, and it's.
Speaker 2: So sad because hard think about the future of a traumatized child.
Speaker 3: Right, there's a couple different pathways.
Speaker 2: One may because if you look at vets and first responders, it's the same thing. Ninety five percent of people that come to us, it's childhood trauma.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: A lot of these people were traumatized as kids and they decided, you know what, I'm going to be the sheep dog. I'm going to stand in the gap. I'm not going to let this happen. And then they take on a persona a firefighter, a paramedic, a police officer, or a soldier. The other half become predators because they don't know how to process correctly.
Speaker 3: And it could go either way.
Speaker 1: It's so interesting that all pull up the same characters on opposite ends of society.
Speaker 2: It's just the pivot point, what are you going to look for in your life? What do you want to do?
Speaker 3: So as a you know, it's.
Speaker 1: A fascinating way to think about it, really, it really is.
Speaker 2: You know, because I had some things that happened in childhood that I never wanted anybody to experience.
Speaker 3: Me too, So I became the other side.
Speaker 2: I wanted to be a sheep dog, a protector, and I went in the military, I went to war. You know, it was a street cup. I weren't in narcotics. I did a lot of those things. And I used to get so frustrated dealing with kids as a police officer, right because you know, the system just they don't punish these kids, right, And then you realize now it's well, they don't punish it because one their brain's not developed, you know. And two, look who's raising them?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: I remember one time I had a six year old little boy asked me when I arrested his dad.
Speaker 3: When's it my turn?
Speaker 1: On's it my turn?
Speaker 3: When's it my turn? I said, what your turn?
Speaker 1: For?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: We tried not to do it in front of children, because well, my dad's been arrested, my mom's been arrested, my aunts and uncles have all been arrested.
Speaker 3: On's in my turn? What chance does that kid have?
Speaker 1: Not much?
Speaker 3: Do you think it's his fault that he's going to turn out that way?
Speaker 1: No, more than likely he'll get a turn.
Speaker 2: He'll get a turn, or he'll go the other way and become a Green Beret or a Navy seal or something hopefully right.
Speaker 3: That happens. You see it all the time.
Speaker 2: A lot of these big time operators had tons and tons and tons of trauma, which is what makes him as a good operator. But then they have to deal with the aftermath when the music stops.
Speaker 1: Okay, so yeah, I don't really remember how it happened, but take us through your comment or we can reverse it.
Speaker 2: So when I first met Scott Man, it was at one of his leadership retreats for a men's leadership treats called Spartans Rising, and I'll never forget he stopped in the middle of one of his presentations and he looks at me and he goes, Dan, you look like you have something you want to say. And I just said, twenty two zero. So like, what's that? I said, We're losing twenty two veterans a data suicide. We're going to take it to zero. And then I coached with Scott and he taught me how to tell the story like amazing. And then and was invited to Albuquerque, New Mexico organization. I want to give them credit, doctor Frank Burke right, the Research and Recognition Project, and they have a process called the Reconsolidation of Traumatic Memories Protocol RTM.
Speaker 3: I cannot believe I've never heard of that, but I'd never heard about it.
Speaker 2: Tim Bridger so RTM, and I'm I'm the I'm the ex cop combat vet in the back of the room and I'm listening to the instructor. And this was all mental health professionals teach all these people that you can heal PTSD with a ninety five success rate.
Speaker 3: YadA YadA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my bowl crap. You are thinking, you crazy.
Speaker 3: There's no way.
Speaker 2: I've been dealing with this stuff for real long. You're telling me you can fix it or whatever.
Speaker 1: I have friends that have committed suicide exactly, I've lost a marriage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it was it was. It was ironic because it was the day, second day of that training. They were getting ready to start doing the live stuff and I said, Alan, I said, h you're you know, you're saying something that I'm having a really hard time believing.
Speaker 3: Is this real? He was absolutely.
Speaker 2: I said, well, if I'm going to recommend a veteran first responder to do it, I'm gonna have to go through it.
Speaker 3: And then he goes, oh, you want to do it today. I'm like, yeah, sure, why not do it?
Speaker 1: What is but the protocol is.
Speaker 3: The Reconsolidation of Traumatic Memories RTM.
Speaker 1: I mean, come on, that does sound like hocus pocus, right, Well.
Speaker 2: That's what I said. I mean, I'm the cop in the back of the room. Can I say a bad word? Yeah, I'm a cop in the back room saying both That's.
Speaker 1: How I feel, right, So, especially since we got twenty two people kill themselves, if you can do this, well, why aren't we doing it?
Speaker 2: But here's the irony is, I'm like, I got to go through this because you want to do it today.
Speaker 3: I'm like, yeah, he goes.
Speaker 2: How about in fifteen minutes when we come off break in front of the class, I'm like, whoa.
Speaker 3: I'm like, giddy up, show the whole class and this guy is an idiot.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna shut this dude down.
Speaker 2: So anyways, so we had talked a little bit beforehand, and that protocol. You talk about the event and then when you start a trigger, they stop you.
Speaker 3: They do what it's called a break state. Oh what a break state? They break the emotional state. So you talk about you talk about the trauma, which when you've got nine thousand different traumas well, we just picked one, right, we picked one.
Speaker 2: So I started talking about the one trauma and I'm starting to talk about it and I got super uncomfortable quick, Like I went from from zero to ten in about seven seconds. You could feel it, Oh yeah, yeah, you can feel the nervous system.
Speaker 3: Do they have you monitored or they're just they're watching you?
Speaker 2: And when I got you know, your eyes of water, You'll start breathing heavier. You'll start ringing your hands. You're like, you're you know, it's some people. You can start sweating and I'll never forget it. He stops and he goes, hey, what color is your Dodge truck?
Speaker 3: What? Yeah, well it's a break state. And I looked at him.
Speaker 1: He's just asking anything.
Speaker 2: Out of that moment, and it was so funny. He says, what color is your Dodge truck? And I'm like what I said, But I drive a Forward. I'd never be caught dead driving a Dodge. Right, that's funny.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, we're very brand loyal, especially in the military.
Speaker 1: I'm a Ford guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 1: I'd rather push a Forward than drive a Chavy exactly.
Speaker 2: So I have I have a Ford Raptor. That's what I have, right, It's a twenty thirteen that's called truck.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then all of a sudden, I'm like, I'm out of it. I'm not even thinking about the event. And then he just does the process. What they do is have you visualized different things?
Speaker 3: Well? After he says that about the truck.
Speaker 1: Right, and you broke and now may you may be even grinning a little bit about the old Dodge thing.
Speaker 3: Then what's the next step. The next step is the visual kinesthetic part. Right. It's so he goes from the dodge truck to create an image in your mind before the event happened.
Speaker 1: Of that day, are we it was the one you're talking about?
Speaker 3: It was, Yeah, it was a combat related it was losing Doug.
Speaker 1: Okay, So now he wants you to go about before you're on patrol at breakfast or so.
Speaker 3: Or it could be before you left for the deployment.
Speaker 2: Oh, so think of a bookend of the event, right, Okay, so he booke ended the event and you make a black and white picture and a black and white picture, and then all you're doing is going to a third person perspective. So like if you're watching a movie, so you're in a movie theater and you're in the in the movie itself, you're associated, right, if you're sitting in the seat looking at yourself on the screen, you're disassociated.
Speaker 3: One time. Well, now they would take you up to.
Speaker 2: The camera room, the booth where the camera reels are, and you'd watch yourself in the theater watching the movie. So they're doing all these layers of dissociation.
Speaker 1: So that's really interesting.
Speaker 3: So you're looking at it from a third person perspective.
Speaker 1: Right, So they say, go back to the day, the morning, or before that event happened, and envision.
Speaker 2: Whatever you were doing. It could have been having breakfast. Okay, you're safe. Your brain knows that that's before the you're safe. You're safe, right, And then you have a point after the event's over. Maybe we're back in Alaska. Right, that's your safe place. You have two pictures, so think of it from an unconscious perspective. The brain now has a bookend and the event is in the middle. Well, when that event is open, when that emotion is active in the nervous system, there's a four to six hour window you can change that emotional state.
Speaker 3: So that's all they're doing.
Speaker 2: They're not changing the memory, they're just changing the state of the emotion attached to it. And by watching it, observing it yourself, watching a movie, you're third, you're three people distanced from it, and it does things on an unconscious level where the neural pathways will eventually decouple. Right, So then that process hit the rewind and then you're going all the way back to that first picture and you're bringing all the color back in and what you're doing at that point is now you're at a safe place before, but you're going from black and white to color. So the brain thinks, when you think of a black and white movie, what is It's an old movie, right, less intense. So if you were to watch a scary movie in four K versus black and white, which one's gonna be worse, right, the four K one. So when you go back to that color event, it's like reversing the order of the event on the brain. And that's when they made it goes, oh wait a minute, that's not what this it's for. And then they put you into a positive state like birth of a child. You know, something you did successful at work, felt really good, a.
Speaker 3: Really good thing.
Speaker 2: And then you're introducing a new positive emotion in that layers over the old memory. And then when they put you back into that memory still like for me, I was that process, they have you tell the story again, So sorry, tell the story again, and I want to because it was uncomfortable for So I start telling the story and all of a sudden, I'm getting through the.
Speaker 3: Story and I'm like, wait, where's the emotions?
Speaker 2: And I remember at one point I got through the whole story, and I looked at him. I'm like, all right, what kind of Jedi stuff is this?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Half the classes laughing, the other half is crying, right because they just watched a.
Speaker 3: Real ten drop down to like zero to one.
Speaker 1: Right, it happened that quickly.
Speaker 2: Well, that protocol is an eighty nine line script that goes line by line, and it takes sixty minutes and sometimes a little bit more.
Speaker 3: I don't know how long.
Speaker 2: I was up there, but probably an hour, and then you know, fast forward.
Speaker 3: We initially at that point and this was my words.
Speaker 2: I went over to doctor Burke and I said, I said, doctor Burke, why isn't this available to everybody?
Speaker 1: That's what I'm sitting here thinking.
Speaker 3: Swear to God, it's exactly what I'm thinking.
Speaker 2: Well, I can give you my answer, and my cop answer is it's not profitable to fix the problem.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back. What was his answer?
Speaker 2: He said, He goes, it's just the research hasn't done yet, And I'm like, this should be available to everybody, right, And then.
Speaker 3: Did you literally fell back or that hour? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I felt better as soon as I finished, which is why I asked them what kind of Jedi stuff?
Speaker 3: It's like, these are not the emotions you're looking for. They're gone.
Speaker 2: That negative feeling that was associated that memory was not in my body.
Speaker 1: Okay, but that's that memory. What about another one?
Speaker 3: I had to work on other stuff?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, But the point is that same process. Right, Let's take that ten most traumatic things that have got you crazy and when and thinking about killing yourself and everything. If you spend an hour on each one of these through this process, the memories don't go away. It's your response to them that changes.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's like you now have different stimuli. Right, And when I look at what we do now, So the method that we use now is it's a nine line instead of eighty nine lines, it's nine lines.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It takes about four to six minutes to diffuse a single event, whether it's traumatic event emotion, or if it's anger or rage, or if it's anxiety. It's a great success, right of this, But that's part of the problem. Everybody that does it heals. Come on, everybody, everybody that does it heels. If they finish and do the work, everybody will heal. Some people won't finish the work. What does finish the work mean?
Speaker 3: I mean, do the number of sessions that are required, which are usually three.
Speaker 1: To five three to five twenty minute sessions.
Speaker 3: Well, if we dig deep, it's three five forty five minutes.
Speaker 1: Okay, whatever, three to five hour sessions. Let's say it's the longest session in the world hour and fifteen minutes. And let's say you need six you're talking about a day, right.
Speaker 3: We've had people come through. I had.
Speaker 2: It was a wife of a firefighter. She had PTSD and she'd been in therapy for twenty years. It was the firefighter's wife. So that our nonprofit we know.
Speaker 1: But why was the firefighters?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: Why? Because we worked with spouses, So she was experiencing PTSD through his life, probably both, no kidding, Yeah.
Speaker 2: If it's stuff that her husband went through, it's vicarious trauma.
Speaker 3: It's real. A lot of your therapists end up with a vicarious trauma from doing therapy. So she had been in therapy for.
Speaker 2: Twenty years for PTSD, and she did two sessions with us, and she was done and she was mad, and so like.
Speaker 3: What are you upseid about it? Years?
Speaker 1: She's wasted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she goes, I've been in therapy for twenty years and you just fixed me.
Speaker 3: In two hours.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what is this called?
Speaker 3: We call the Trauma Resiliency Protocol TRP.
Speaker 1: Is what our method is. And why is the United States military not adopted this?
Speaker 3: Who runs the military?
Speaker 1: The government?
Speaker 3: Okay? And who funds the government?
Speaker 1: Taxpayers?
Speaker 3: Okay? Who funds those running for office?
Speaker 1: Donations and taxpayers?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: But what I'm saying is there are a lot of organizations other that get funding from pharmaceutical industry.
Speaker 3: A big pharma funds both sides of the politics.
Speaker 1: So you genuinely believe that's it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's part of it.
Speaker 1: What's the other part?
Speaker 3: So you ever heard the term cognitive dissonance?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: A brain can't hold two beliefs, different beliefs at the same time.
Speaker 3: Right. Let's think Republican a Democrat.
Speaker 2: They are absolute beliefs that Democrats have their absolute beliefs Republicans have and when you cross that over, make it doesn't make sense to the other person. So for a general officer who's done a career of forty years and has seen damage a PTSD and nothing's worked to fix it, they don't believe it can be corrected.
Speaker 3: So I think that's part of it.
Speaker 2: Is cognitive dissonance the inability to believe that it is possible the way it works. And I'll tell you how cognitive dissonance is. If I go to a function and somebody asked, me, well, what do you guys do for a nonprofit? Oh, we got a neurological intervention that removes PTSD and depression anxiety. They're like, oh, yeah, that's cool, great, awesome because it doesn't make sense to them, and they'll move on. And then I'll say it like this. They'll say, well, what do you guys doing well? Can I ask you a question first? They're like, oh, yeah, I'm sure. I said, what live long and didn't have to die? SOID that'd be amazing, it'd be all beautiful world. What we do is this, Now you're past that critical faculty and you're in the unconscious brain. So the critical faculty is what we call the bullter between the conscious and unconscious, and it filters your brain, filters things out. So I think a lot of those general officers filter out the possibility and then to the ability to get to the right gatekeepers.
Speaker 3: Right, it's very difficult to get to the higher levels. I honestly believe if our President, our secretary, war our general officers, realize how simple this is, and I just tell this this stuff so easy. We got marines doing I love you, marines, nice shot. We love if we're not picking on each other, and then we both just tell the Air Force at least we were in the military, all right.
Speaker 1: So how many iterations have you done yourself?
Speaker 2: Since I've started doing this, I've worked probably around five thousand people.
Speaker 1: And you're telling me of the five thousand, none.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you.
Speaker 2: Of that five thousand, I've probably had maybe a handful that didn't finish the work. In other words, because what ends up happening is they feel so much better. They're like, I'm good, deuces, I'm out.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like not taking your antibiotics until the whole prescriptions filled.
Speaker 2: All right, because they if you have somebody with a lot of severe PTS, And the crazy part is the higher their scores are, the faster the brain heels because their brain is ready to dump it, right, And once you start dumping that, a lot of them will move on and do the next greatest thing, but still could probably improve. Sometimes you get people that have what we call a personality disorder, where they call cluster b very difficult to work with, Like we if we can identify that before, we wouldn't let them work with one of our coaches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that was a problem long before the trauma happened. Correct, So it's.
Speaker 3: A different.
Speaker 2: You know, it's you can still address a lot of their issues and make their lives better, but they still have other things they have to overcome. And that's like tons and tons and tons of childhood trauma that leads into that. But yeah, I have I have very few people who it hasn't worked with.
Speaker 1: One of the greatest stories that I've read was that this just doesn't happen for people in the Rock Afghanistan, and there was a man who carried trauma all the way from World War Two. That story, Oh, Mel was a beautiful meal. So Mel, he's still alive. He's one hundred and one years old, right, wow. And when I first met Mel, I was just my jaw hit the floor. I'm like, this guy is incredible. A friend of mine, Jay gar Steki, who's got Operation Healing Heroes. It's a Discovery Channel show. They do like mini document of the Live on me.
Speaker 2: Jay, you got to get this guy's story and so I picked Mel up in Orlando and I took him to River Ranch in Florida. It's like a little resort and that's where he did the interviews.
Speaker 1: And they said, where you do your thing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we do our thing remotely, all over the place.
Speaker 1: Got it going.
Speaker 2: So so Jay captured Mel's story. It was beautiful, like they don't make people like that anymore. And as we're I'm driving him home, He's like, do you ever think it's really over?
Speaker 3: I'm like, what are you talking about? Mel?
Speaker 2: He said PTSD. So Mel had gone through the RTM protocol right, so the trauma part was resolved, but now he was still dealing with the survivor guilt, which that protocol doesn't address.
Speaker 3: I said, what are you feeling?
Speaker 2: Because I felt guilty every day I've step foot on us soil since I got back from the war.
Speaker 1: What year was this?
Speaker 3: This would have been two thousand and probably twenty.
Speaker 1: That's almost that's fifty five six, that's twenty and forty sixty years that he is sixty or more years that you're telling me. Every single day of his life for sixty years, he felt.
Speaker 2: Guilt, yep, for being alive, for being alive, because so many good men didn't come home.
Speaker 1: What what did he's what? Where would he serve?
Speaker 3: He was a B seventeen waistgunner, so he left.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, life express it was nothing.
Speaker 2: His last combat sort he was flying over Normandy on D Day. Wow, imagine the visual that this guy had. So his best friend was shot down. Oscar was the It's funny he was telling the story. I used to pull Oscar out of the bars every night because he would get into fights.
Speaker 3: I'm glad it was a different day back then, yay, But some things don't change.
Speaker 2: And so they used to wave at each other when they were flying their missions. You know, oscars in one plane, he's in the other, and he watched them go down into the ocean, right and God, so he's felt he's held onto that guilt and I and it was is everything right. What I mean by framing is if you look at a picture and it's got a black frame on it, and then all of a sudden you put a white frame on it, the picture looks totally different.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So on a zero to ten stress load, he was a ten on that survivor gilt. So what I did with him is I said mel I want you to trade places with Oscar. You're going down into the ocean, and every once in a while you get a glimpse of his airplane.
Speaker 3: He's going to survive.
Speaker 2: I want you to look at it from that perspective, and I'm like, what would you want for him?
Speaker 3: And that this is the framing component.
Speaker 2: I want him to be happy and have a great life, be a good citizen. You don't hear that anymore, you know, and just be a normal person. I said, mel do you want him to feel the weight of your death for the rest of his life? He's like, Heavens no, I would never want that. So then I asked a question, what makes you think he's expecting less? And in that moment, his eyes got super wide and he looked at me and he goes, I never thought of that. So for that sixty plus years, that wasn't accessible to him. And in that very moment, the shift happened where he released the emotional attachment to the memory, so he didn't have that zero to ten went to a zero. He couldn't feel it, the survivor guilt anymore. And that's what we get to actually do, is address the neural pathway where that memory started and all the data that's around the memory. One of the ways that we do the process is we do it way different. Now the nine lines, we're looking at it from a third person, so we'll have them associate, rate the intensity of it, and then disassociate. Look at it from a distance, drone flying up, moving down the street. And as you're doing that, we do things like I want you to take the color out of it, make it black and white. I want you to turn the volume down so you're changing the visual, the auditory, the kinesthetic, get far enough where you don't feel it. And then we'll have them turn around again, and I want you to look into an older, wiser version of yourself. They'd be like, like, you're drowning, isn't a coach, Bill? I want you to turn around and look at a future version of you. What would you teach yourself at that moment? Right, that's the frame that if you learned, you could let the feelings go easily and effortlessly. Well, that's a presuppositional statement, so you're presupposing the outcome. And once you give the answer, your brain is in an unconscious agreement, attaches that new learning and then we reassociate and take you back in time, and then you come back through and reprocess it, and then we sit you in a resource anchor.
Speaker 3: It takes about four to six minutes, and then when they go back that ten is gone and then the brain reconsolidates that memory. Sleep is the biggest byproduct.
Speaker 2: So some people will sleep twelve thirteen hours after going through the process.
Speaker 1: Their brain's eau.
Speaker 3: Right, the brain's exhausted.
Speaker 2: But then finally got to take a foot off the gas pedal and the seventy five hundred RPM's got to come.
Speaker 3: Back down to one thousand, will be right back. Do you have a degree?
Speaker 2: I got a master's degree, but it's public administration, nothing in like psychology or so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're you're you're not one of these fancy smart people. And I know you met doctor Barku, the guy, the first guy. Yeah, it's it's just interesting to me that this is something that you're doing and it's working. Like it's working. You see what I'm saying. I'm trying to reconcile all that.
Speaker 2: Well, a lot of people look at me like I don't have the right pedigree, right if I talk to it, like there's a va psychologist that one day when I go back and see her, I will give her a big thank you card, which was, well.
Speaker 3: I can only imagine what this is.
Speaker 2: So this is this is our system, and I'll functions. She's a psychologist, she's at the highest higher level of that field. And she was speaking at an event and I spoke at an event, right, And she came up to me and was very resistant about what I was talking about, condescending, very condescending. Well, She's like, I'm like, ma'am, I'll pay for your training to do RTM with Frank Burke. I'll pay for your lodging, I'll pay for your meals. I'll take care of it. You'll even get continued ad credits. And she's like, I don't need any continued ed credits, right, And then she went into how this is snake oil. That's not real cognitive dissonance. She's never seen it, right, And we were just having this conversation back and forth, and there's a therapist sitting right there listening to the whole conversation, who had been through the training and who has been using the protocol.
Speaker 3: Guess how many words she said? None?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: Because the other one is a doctor, and she he's a licensed professional counselor, right, So I'm like, you could have said something.
Speaker 3: But anyways, she thanks wrapping my back.
Speaker 2: I'm like, and I it was a hold my beer moment for her. For the psychologist says, you know what you're gonna do.
Speaker 3: She's like, what's that?
Speaker 2: I said, You're gonna You're going to cause me to train my brother and sister to the left and the right of me, and we'll make your profession a whole lot less relevant. Wow, And we are. We're making them less relevant. If they don't want to be part of the solution. Good, get out of the way. Because a lot of US vets and first responders were problem solvers.
Speaker 1: So why are you going to send her a thank you?
Speaker 3: Guard?
Speaker 2: Because of where we are right now, that was the fuel to the fire. That was the rocket fuel that took us into the pure support model. I stopped paying for therapists to get trained, right, and then COVID hits, and of course everybody's funding dried up. Everybody nobody knew what was going to happen with the world, and I'm like shooting out, what are we going to do?
Speaker 3: And then I just went down the search rabbit hole. A lot of this work.
Speaker 2: It all comes out of a body work called neural linguistic programming. I don't know if you're familiar with NLP, but Tony Robbins was probably one of the bigger names that started off in NLP, and he calls it something different now, But NLP was founded by doctor John Grinder and doctor Richard Bandler. Grinder was a Green Beret linguist and Bandler was a coder, ones and zeros. They got together and we were trying to figure out why some people were so.
Speaker 3: Good at what they did.
Speaker 2: So they modeled you know, Virginia Setier family therapy, right, why is she so good at what she does?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: Then, staying with her for seven eight months, they basically said, there's eighteen different meta models and she drives down.
Speaker 3: To the deepest.
Speaker 2: Also, some people are auditory, some people are kinesthetics, some people are visual. So she could get a husband and wife that one's auditory, one's visual, they're not communicating the same and she would get them on that same wavelength and she was very effective at it. So once they did modeled her, they started training other therapists to do what she did, and then guess what happened to her him an average, It lifted everybody up.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Milton Erickson was the psychiatrist who's the father, one of the modern fathers of hypno therapy.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: He used hypnotic language patterns, so he chunked up instead of down.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: The way that might work is when we would ask hey, when was the first time that ever happened, they'd be like, well, I don't remember when it did.
Speaker 3: I said, I know you don't, but if you did, one was it? And all of a sudden they'd come up with an answer.
Speaker 2: Because you buy a pass critical faculty, you go directly to the unconscious brain. And then Fritz Pearls was the gestalt therapy, where we know, we've known for over one hundred years emotions established linearly and they kind of like a string of pearls, right, you pull one out and they drop down into the next layer.
Speaker 3: So we've that's NLP right.
Speaker 2: And then of course NLP kind of got a little bit crazy going into like the you know, coaching side and business and trying to sell things, because all they did was learn how people did what they did that it did really well, and they trained other people to do that. So, and this is one of the things that Frank Burke when he when I met him, he goes, you know, l he's probably the greatest advancement in psychology in the laste hundred years, but nobody knows about it. And now a lot of the research is coming out is NLP focus, so they're finally starting to validate, which is what we're doing when we're doing research out of Arizona State University. They've already published one study from my first nonprofit. We're doing it with brain scans, so we're seeing the brain.
Speaker 5: But I was just about to ask, couldn't you bring the scientific community in if you just took people up to brain scans and watched their brain react to this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, the process that we use doctor David Haggidor and he's just a beautiful soul. He's an Army veteran, he's a clinical psychologist, neural scientist. He developed a system called evos. It's now owned by Firefly Neuroscience. So when I first met Dave, doctor Phil mcquee, who was on our board, you know, we were talking and I said, man, I really like to know what's going on in the brain, right And next thing you know, doctor Phil connects with you know, David, and all of a sudden, Me and Dave are having a conversation and I'm like, well, I'm getting ready to goup to Maryland to work with a police officer because she won't do the work remote.
Speaker 3: He goes, well, I'll meet you there.
Speaker 2: So it's like a Friday, He closed up shop, drove from Jacksonville, North Carolina to Frederick, Maryland, and next thing you know, he's doing a brain scan on a female police officer and I'll never forget. Her scores were about match full tilt like max on PTS, max on anxiety, or.
Speaker 3: Her pre evaluation scores. Her pre evaluation is hijacked.
Speaker 2: So like the PCLC, the civilian version, it's an eighty five point survey. She was eighty five out of eighty five, which means seven days a week.
Speaker 1: Her life sucks, and she's constantly, constantly and probably not sleeping.
Speaker 3: And not sleeping.
Speaker 2: So what ended up happening is, you see in the back of the brain, there's a part where you close your eyes for five minutes, and what's happening is as you close your eyes, your nervous system goes into full tilt because you've lost all situational aware and so somebody with PTSD will go into a fight or flight response and they close your eyes because they have now they can't see what's binding. They feel unsafe. So you measure that and you see it and I'll forget. He goes, a young lady, this is the worst brain scan I have ever seen, and he said, in your scores match your brain scan, and the relief in her voice. I've been trying to tell everybody that, right, she's a female police officer in a pretty male dominated world. Plus she's mixed race on top of that. So I do a session with her and then we come back the next day. I do another session with her, and then doctor haggittt Arrn does a second brain scan. And after that second brain scan, he sent the results back. He goes, gentlemen, this is profound. He said, you're getting in twenty four hours results that it would take six months for an EMDR Master practitioner to achieve. And he said, in most EMDR Master practice will never get this level of work.
Speaker 3: And he goesaid, you're not even a therapist.
Speaker 2: So he he was on board from the very beginning, just from the science end, because he saw what we were doing from a scientific perspective, and he's the one that's convinced us to do the research.
Speaker 3: So now we're doing uh yeah, that you got to do. Now we're doing I'm not a research I know, I get it, but but but.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, when I saw the first batch of data together, I was I was hooked.
Speaker 3: At that point.
Speaker 2: I tell everybody I've officially become a nerd. I know more about the brain than any self respecting infantry mister nobody.
Speaker 3: But the think about it, think about it from a clinical perspective.
Speaker 2: We deal with something called peer review literature, right right, So you're telling me thirty psychiatrists are going to read the same article and come up with the same conclusion. Where's the innovation going to come from? Was the cab company ever going to create Uber uber no or Lyft? Was a hotel industry ever gonna create.
Speaker 1: Going to create Amazon?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 1: Same game?
Speaker 3: So now what we're doing, and Dave really convinced me.
Speaker 1: You know, that's a really good point to my question. Why isn't the the psychological side of the VA adapting this. It's for the same reason the cab companies aren't venting Uber and series didn't invent Amazon.
Speaker 2: It's you want to talk about egos? Yeah boys, yeah boy, yeah there. They doesn't actually get that. That makes that's so plausibly sensible.
Speaker 3: I mean, who am I? I don't have the right initials.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: You know doctor Haggitorn with the brain stuff, he can hook you up to the eg and within that thirty minute test he can tell you if you're suicidal based on a part of the brain activating. So when the VA a few years ago did their I think it was a Mission Daybreak or some new it was like a three million dollar grant. They were going to award a three million dollar grant to a company trying to do something about suicide. Dave and I we both applied for that grant. Dave actually works for the VA right now. We both got rejected first round. We had a solution and he had a way to identify. So I don't want to call out the organization that got the grant, But what they were doing was forensic audits of social media and cell phones.
Speaker 3: So what does that mean they're already dead? That's the VA. It's cheaper for the VA if we do die? Why did you reenlist an army after note to eleven in the first place? And what do you think led so many to re enlist? And I what impact did not eleven have on you that it didn't have on me.
Speaker 2: So I watched from a distance, all right, the towers getting hit, the towers falling. I had already left because I worked law enforcement prior to that. I was military first, did law enforcement, and I was out of law enforcement at that point, and watching it, I just felt helpless, Like everybody saw what happened, and I just I was pissed, I was angry, and I wanted to figure. I didn't even think that there was an option for me at that time until I talked to one about thirty four.
Speaker 1: I was re enlisted in the military at thirty four.
Speaker 3: I'm a glut for punishment. You were clearly nuts, Yes, totally.
Speaker 2: But I talked to a buddy of mine who was going back in. He was going from reserves to active. I'm like, how are you doing that? And so I just went and talked to a recruiter. I had to get a little little waiver, and next thing you know, I'm back at Fort Benning, Georgia. Going all the way back through basic training again with a bunch of eighteen nights.
Speaker 1: You went through basic again. You had to at thirty four.
Speaker 3: Well, I that sucks. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was supposed to do a what do they call that, Warrior transition course, so it was like prior service. They condensed that whole period of time into like four weeks. So I get sent to Fort Knox, I do that, and then they sent me back.
Speaker 3: I was so mad. You want to talk about mad? They sent me back to a unit that was in week two. Ah had I stayed at Fort Betting, I had to be at weeks seven or eight. So I went all the way to four weeks.
Speaker 2: At Fortnite, oxtitted four weeks a month there, and then I came back and I get dropped into week two and I had fifteen more.
Speaker 3: Weeks to go.
Speaker 1: It sucks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was not fun.
Speaker 1: So an answer was, you had some training, you were pissed, and you felt something need to be.
Speaker 3: Done, something need to be done. I wanted to go, I wanted to fight.
Speaker 1: I genuinely believe there's an entire generation of kids that were twelve years younger than you at that point that served in our military. That had that same sense. That's patriotism, that's commitment, that's service. And they are the same people who were losing twenty two of every single day. Let's remember that. Let's remember that that the image of nine to eleven. There's an entire generation of people who served our country because they saw that and felt compelled and called to serve. And we're losing that home because of the trauma that they took. You said earlier police that people give our trauma place just outsource.
Speaker 3: We outsource our trauma, outsource trauma.
Speaker 1: Well, we outsource our trauma the military.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's crazy eight year olds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy to think right now that a lot of these kids joined ucause I think the army just met their mission like four months before the end of the year. So recruitment is through the roof with the kids who weren't even alive when the towers came down.
Speaker 1: I know, it's cristy.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot of patriotism that comes. I think one of the probably one of the signature wounds of the war is probably gonna be the moral injury component, because you're doing things that's not normal, right, And I'll use the withdrawal from Afghanistan. We know for a fact there was a suicide spike after we abandoned Afghanistan. Right, I'm connected with a lot of the gold Star families who lost the thirteen that day, and I've actually worked with some of them, and they're trying to change the system too, because nobody can give an answer why their kids are dead. Right, the fact that we lost so much blood and treasure and just gave billions of dollars of hardware to the Taliban and then paid them forty million dollars a week, that's moral injury.
Speaker 1: And abandoned Afghan interpreters, very brave. Afghani is the thut alongside us. We got guilt.
Speaker 2: We abandoned a group of people that we promised that we were going to help them. We promised, when you're done helping us, we'll get you to the United States.
Speaker 3: Exactly right. What Scott's doing and those guys, it's like, you know, it's crazy. Have you ever seen it? Have you seen this new play?
Speaker 1: I haven't seen them play.
Speaker 3: Now, let's just take some clean X. It's very good. It's coming here, is it? Yeah? Yeah, we'll be right back. Kind of off topic, but on topic. When Hurricane Hellen Eleen thanks starting North Carolina.
Speaker 1: What's your experience that American needs to hear.
Speaker 2: So when Helene hit, you know, one of the things that Scott did through task for fine Off what made some connections. He's an amazing connector. So he'll go into the community, what do you need and then they'll resource it to get plugged into that signal group. Is amazing because when an emergency happens, all these resources come to bear. They're using their skills that they use, you know, and obviously the rule is if if you're interfering with first responders, stay away because they have the legal responsibility.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: But when we got into because he connected us with one of the churches there and we met him before we came back and did some training, and all six of the people we worked with were like, what did you just do?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Because we know they're going to need it. When Able and I went back, it was right after the flood. We went through one of the communities and I think it was I think it was Asheville, North Carolina. We went to their PD and fire departments and the hey, may should go see these guys in the outside.
Speaker 3: They're the ones that are really dealing with a lot.
Speaker 2: So we went up to this one fire department and we're driving around this neighborhood, this community, and every home had everything inside of their house in their front yards. They pulled everything out of the homes and you're going by the tree lines and the mudlines are five feet above ground level, and then you start hearing some of the stories and it was just like mind blowing, Like one of the guys.
Speaker 3: Lost like eleven people in a family. That's like war, right, but natural cause. It was very overwhelming.
Speaker 2: So that we ended up going back and trained eleven of the church ministry folks and the pastors so that they would at least have something that they could actually do on the ground. So we got connected one of the one of the pastors, she was a former police officer and she's the first one that experienced it, and she's the one that wanted us to come in there. But yeah, I was just we went in, we visited some of the fire departments and these guys are just sitting there with the same look that I remember after we lost Corno.
Speaker 1: That's what That's what I think is important, is this work although started with that's and that's where your heart started with anybody experiences massive trauma.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, the good thing is we're getting we're getting some credibility. So like I'll give you an example of Pittsburgh, right that's probably our single largest growth right now. We trained Pittsburgh Bureau Fire Peer Support Good. We trained McKee's Port some of their fear peer support good.
Speaker 1: So there are some.
Speaker 2: Well, this is a really cool part is the what do they call it? The Department of Human and Services for the County of Alleghany County funded two trainings for community based trauma. So the county paid for training for US to train other nonprofits and therapists. So they have twelve therapists that work in the jail with inmates.
Speaker 1: Oh so there's that's all.
Speaker 3: That's another population.
Speaker 2: So when I heard about that, I was like, man, this is really really cool. And so we trained forty eight new people up there, plus the fire department the other folks, and it was really kind of awesome to watch that. And so one of the guys up there, he was a news reporter, Sheldon Ingram. If you hear this, shildo, I'm sorry, but I'm gonna dime me out. I called him, and I said, because I did an interview with him before, I'm like, man, this is a great story, right.
Speaker 3: Think about it.
Speaker 2: The fact that they're trying to use this to help stop recidivism, help community based trauma. I mean the majority of the inmates at Alleghany County or African American, right, trying to help a community that's been disenfranchised and to get them healthy. And then when he did the interview, he brought in the union president of the corrections officers, and what they spun it in was that this was only available for inmates. It wasn't available for the correction staff. But there's a good ending. Hey, I'm a Christian man. Guy uses all things for the good for those who love him. Don Brucker's on my board of directors. He's the Alleghanty County Chief Deputy Fire Marshall. I'm like, don you think you could reach out and find out that this corrections guy their union president.
Speaker 3: They saying, you know, we're having a conversation. We meet him.
Speaker 2: He thought dB was punking him because he talked about trauma the correction staff we're having. So we did his brain scan, did sessions with him. He had a massive shift. So now we've had a whole bunch of other guys coming through and they're getting ready to train. We're going to eventually train their peer support so that they can work with each other.
Speaker 1: Two things, and then we're going to close one. What have you been through this and then you experience another trauma?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Do you do it again? Or can you lean on what you've already been through? You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so your brain is going to get a new skill, so it'll probably process differently. However, new trauma is new trauma. It's not like a vaccine, right. I have one of my coaches who's a fire captain down in Sarasota County, Florida. Every once in a while, you, hey man, been a rough couple of weeks. You can carve some time out. Yeah, let's go, bro, and we just do the process. So all you have to them it's just for him, but anybody.
Speaker 3: And it helps clean it up, clean it up. That's all you're doing is cleaning it up.
Speaker 1: So healing the hero is it started with twenty two zero and now you're healing the hero And clearly you've talked about your board and everything. What is Healing the Hero now, is it a five oh one C three? Is it based in winter Haven? Do you have how what give me the structure of what this thing is now? So you see what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Once we started is we're we've been about two years now, and I mean when we stood up, it was fast, quick, fast, in a hurry.
Speaker 3: It blew my mind.
Speaker 2: But we we had the organizational structure very quickly. So Healing the Hero is a five oh one C three. Right, we're classified as a Christian ministry. Although it's not a requirement to come through. We get plenty of people that we get Jews that come through, Muslims, we get non believers.
Speaker 3: Just a we're about your model the world, not ours. We just want to heal everybody. So wherever you are, well, yeah, but you.
Speaker 1: Think as Christians we should help whoever you are, regardless there are.
Speaker 2: Some organizations that there is it's a diehard stop. It can't be that way when, especially when it comes to trauma, where you I find let's we'll meet you where you are. We'll meet you right where you are. Because a lot of times Jesus healed those that were believers, and then he also healed those that weren't believers that became believers. You know, it's about giving the time to, you know, get that relationship if they so choose to. So we have about thirty coaches right now that are trained. We're all over the US. There's no geographical boundary limitations. I can work with some. I've worked with people in Australia. I've worked with people in Europe.
Speaker 1: So if people do you do seminars or do people just hear about you and call up and say hey, I need help? How does it work?
Speaker 2: It's been a very grassroots and been very word of mouth. So we get a lot of people that'll come through us and be well, what's this going to cost. I'm like, it doesn't cost you anything. Oh come on, there's nothing that's free. So all right, you got me. Here's a catch. When you heal, send me three or four your buddies. Oh, I can do that, And that's how it happens.
Speaker 3: So that's it.
Speaker 1: Funded donors.
Speaker 2: I'm not a really good fundraiser, so when I finished the study, that's what I have to start doing. Because we've gotten like I'll give you an example. Two weeks ago, we had twenty five people come through in one week.
Speaker 3: That's a lot of people. There's a lot of people.
Speaker 2: And we got to make sure we have the structure in place. I need a full time staff, so I need a prefer national executive director. I need a professional case manager, and probably hire two or three coaches full time.
Speaker 3: Probably need a fundraiser, and probably need a fundraiser.
Speaker 2: So if you're an angel out there and you want to give to something where we can really show you what we do, we're always open to that.
Speaker 3: But our goal is to become irrelevant. We don't want we don't want to exist.
Speaker 1: Do you want to go to zero? Want to go to zero? Last thing we opened with our girlfriend May's who's under the table comfortably sleepy?
Speaker 2: M hm.
Speaker 1: Funny. That's a support dog, but you consider yourself a support human. Explain that.
Speaker 2: So I tell people that I inherited May's. Fortunately, that's truthful. It was one of the veterans that I had I had been working with. His name is Jared Jared Hill. He was a Navy vet thirty three years old. He was a Navy CBE, so he was landlocked Iraqi war vet had dealt with a lot of physical pain and the VA did what they did good back then they got him addicted to opiates. So this guy struggled with the addiction part and trauma and we were having we were trying to get him out of the traumatic event that he was in because it's like I can, I can pull you out of a river, we can clean it up, you'll you'll catch your breath, but if you jump right back in the river, you're gonna go right back to being exhausted. And we couldn't get him out of the situation he was in. So I picked up May's at his funeral and she's been with me ever since. And yeah, and that's when I just tell people, I'm her service humans.
Speaker 3: So she travels with me everywhere I go. I'm her service human.
Speaker 2: It's and it's funny too, because if she gets around really loud noises, she'll start shaking. Well, she she will, and then I'll have to like comfort her and love on her and do the things that she would do. Because what a lot of people don't understand service dogs. But the impact is, you know when I talked about earlier about breaking the state, So what a service dog does is they're in tune with the trigger of the vet right when a veteran gets emotionally triggered or they're having a nightmare at night, they'll jump up on bed, on the bed, they'll.
Speaker 3: Start licking their face.
Speaker 2: They'll intervene with make them okay, make them okay, intervening physical contact, getting them away from the green Dodge into the White Ford, right, it gets breaks that state.
Speaker 3: And that's why they're so effective.
Speaker 2: And the sad part is when Jared killed himself, he locked her out of the room because he knew he wouldn't be able to follow through with it.
Speaker 1: Wow, So this is so you are Amaz's service human.
Speaker 2: I'm the service human, and she goes with me everywhere, and I just tell everybody this mission is no fail And the only faces I remember are the ones we couldn't save Dan.
Speaker 1: With all of the people that listen to this show every week, and it's thousands, there's absolutely zero points zero zero zero possibility that somebody hearing us today. It's not either themselves in a place that you found yourself, or does not have a friend, family member in that place. And if you are that person, please hear Dan's voice. If you are the family of that person, please hear Dan's voice. If they want to find how to get help from Healing the Hero, how to get help from you, and how to try this this this work. What do they do.
Speaker 2: So healingthero dot org is you got a blue button that says he'll hear. All they have to do is push that button, fill out the information there and usually within twenty minutes. Tammy, she's our case manager, well within twenty minutes they'll get a response from us. Because I get the email and Tammy gets an email. We respond very quickly. And then what Tammy will do is schedule a ten minute call to see how high your stress loads are and then place you with a right coach.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: If you're a police officer, we'll put you with a police officer. If you're a firefighter, will put you with a firefighter. If you're a marine, will put you with a marine. You know, whatever you're comfortable with. And Healing your Hero has been around for what two years too? And two years the first nonprofit was April of eighteen that I started at.
Speaker 3: This one was April twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: And you said about four thousand so far.
Speaker 3: Well that I have worked with personally organization.
Speaker 2: I'd see between both organizations, it's probably around eighteen nineteen thousand.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Some of that is also to the therapists that we trained.
Speaker 2: So we got some therapists up in Pittsburgh that I have a they're doing work. They're doing work. So I have one Vietnam vet, retired Philly cop. Awesome dude calls me up every six eight weeks to share a story and or he might need help as he's stuck on something and then it'll help him correct it. And he sees five or six a day. And he's been doing this for what four years now, So five or six a day for four years. Do the math, same thing with one of the other guys. So the therapist, it's a force multiplier, which is why I'm excited about once we get the research done and we can you know, because it's deeply rooted in evidence based practice. So basically we have six evidence based practices that are put together, and once the next randomized control trial is done, which is going to be San Diego State University with corrections officers out of Cook County Jail in Illinois, which is Chicago, hopefully that'll give us the solidification of an evidence based practice and then we can get the therapy world to really step in because technically it's their responsibility. But as Scott Man says, nobody else is coming, so we're doing it.
Speaker 1: One of the things we've learned through this through doing this show the last three years is there's just about nothing that replaces hope, and if you don't have hope, things are pretty ugly. It feels to me like healing the hero offers hope. So if you're listening and you need help, or if you're a family member of a highly traumaized person that needs help, healingthehro dot org. Yes, Sir, Dan Jarvis is working on some things that are saving lives. And one, thank you for the service too, thank you for sharing your story with us. Three, thank you for the work you're doing.
Speaker 3: And four.
Speaker 1: I hope as you model this out and continue to have sus the more and more of our country knows it so that you can go from twenty two to zero.
Speaker 3: My friend, I'm hoping we can take every suicide of zero.
Speaker 1: Not just FETZ. I love that. Dan. Thanks for being here.
Speaker 3: Thanks for let me go, appreciate.
Speaker 1: You, and thank you for joining us this week. If Dan Jarvis has inspired you in general or better yet to take action by checking out Healing the Hero, sharing it with a friend and need donating to them, or something else entirely let me know I really do want to hear about it. You can write me anytime at Bill at normal folks dot us, and I promise you I'll respond. If you enjoyed this episode, share it with friends and on social, subscribe to the podcast, rate it, review it, Join the army at normal folks dot us. Join or start one of our local service clubs by our merch any and all of these things that will help us grow an army of normal folks. I'm Bill Coordinator until next time.
Speaker 3: Do it.
Speaker 1: You can