Speaker 1: Welcome to River Cafe Table for a production of iHeart Radio and Adam I Studios.
Speaker 2: I mean, you've had quite a series of performers. I'm honored even to be on your podcast. The sample tape I get is Ray Fines doing the chocolate Nemesis. I'm like, you know what, I just I'm going to give up now, you.
Speaker 3: Know, never never, never, no, do the best. Michael Caine was very, very sweet. It was very did I play his actually anywhere in the world? And they have a desserved which is my favorite?
Speaker 2: That is so good. That is good recipe you want to make. Michael Caine is so rude. Oh no, now you just played me, Michael Kine. How am I supposed to this is?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: How the hell am I supposed to do this? This is.
Speaker 3: But you got to I'm notta sauce.
Speaker 2: Maybe I should do an intro to it. Okay, I'll do this. Then I'm Jake Jillenhall, and there is truly nothing like Ruthie's slow cooked tomato sauce. So I'm going to do my best here to give you a recipe that will hopefully change your life and the life of many people that you love. So here's slow cooked tomato sauce very fast. Heat one to two tablespoons of the olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the garlic until it is soft but not brown. Add the tomatoes with some sea salt and black pepper, and cook fiercely, stirring constantly to prevent the tomatoes from sticking as they break up. As they cook, the tomatoes will release their juices when this liquid has evaporated. Add the remaining olive oil, the basil or regino, and more seasoning if necessary. Serve hot.
Speaker 3: So Jake, I think you were the first person that I called when I had the idea of doing a recipe, reading a recipe from the River Cafe cookbook. Twenty five years of cookbooks and eleven books and so many recipes that you could have chosen. You chose tomato sauce. I know why, but maybe you could tell everyone else why you chose.
Speaker 2: Tomato sauce, because I think simple is the most difficult. When you take just a few ingredients and you try and cook with them, what comes through is the person cooking them. Also, if you have the best ingredients, like the ones that you showed me, how to make this tomato sauce with or tomato sauce with, then you can't mess it up.
Speaker 3: I remember there was a time when Ruby, my granddaughter, was I think about seven, and you made a little She taught you how to make it. And food is a connection, and it is a connection, and I think that probably this pasta makes us feel close.
Speaker 2: I always think of that moment whenever I'm taking the two knives and a calendar and I'm slicing the can tomatoes. It almost was her favorite part when she was instructing me. And I always think of that moment because it's it's essential to the recipe. It's really when you empty those tomatoes into the calendar and you have to slice them to get the first sort of first juices out of them. And then over time, as they sawte they really do turn into like a sugary glaze. And then how they stick on to that pasta is like nothing else.
Speaker 3: I was trying to think how we first met, and I think that I met your sister, Maggie, maybe before I met you, I can't remember, but I remember that you have a brother and a sister who love food. Where your parents obsessed with food, did they make sure that you always ate. Did you have meals at the table? What was it wasn't growing up with food in your house?
Speaker 2: I would say rather honestly, that food was and meals were the only thing that really worked in my family. And by that I mean the only thing really without a sort of drama or tumult, though it was full of wonderful drama. And you know, us being all sort of competitive and partial control freaks, you know, as it is in a kitchen, you know, there's a lot of nudging and bumping around and you know, don't do it like this like that. But the dinner table, and particularly the I would say the market, which my parents, since I was a very young age, took us to, and you know, that was an experience in itself. And I remember my mom, you know, holding my hand and taking me to the woman at the Hollywood Farmer's Market where I grew up in Los Angeles, and she was the one who grew Japanese tomatoes and Japanese cucumbers, and we'd always get sheis so, and then we'd move over to the lettuce that she loved, and then citrus, and we were always tasting things and in America in particular, that is not so common, you know that experience. But so from there, from the market and buying it from local farmers and then knowing, you know, the beautiful thing you've bought, and then cooking it in the kitchen. You know that was the process. And then sitting down to the table, you know that those are the things. You know they were. My parents were always trying to tell stories of different kinds and really beautiful artists in their own ways. And then you know, my sister and I were performing at a very young age, and I mean that also like as actors and then personalities. But the thing that was pure, the thing that was clear, at least to me, was always the meal.
Speaker 3: Was it your mother in the kitchen or your father? Did you have someone cooked?
Speaker 2: Did you both both? My mother was more of a salads not much transference of heat. She was more of a kind of antipasti cold kind of more person. Lettuces and salads were specialty. And then my dad was more of a sort of burn it roasted kind of guy. Yeah, so he would always get lots of root vegetables and carrots and potatoes and rosemary mushrooms. He was very close to the mushroom man at the market. Yeah, I'd be very close to him. I always remember going to the mushroom inn and getting all these sort of funky little mushrooms and he would then roast them with olive oil and salt and you know, different nerves and things. But they both cooked, and they both loved food. And they always said to me, you know, if you and when you make your own money, you know, if you're going to spend money, anything should be a great meal. Yeah. It was good advice, but not great advice. I would probably say if you were to ask people closest to me, I'm not always the most fun to be with in the kitchen because I was. I did have my stent in kitchens, you know, and I learned from professionals, and it's a very tough place, a kitchen, you know. It requires a particular type of focus and a sense of geography, you know, like knowing small spaces and moving hot things. And I think I might take it all a bit too seriously. It's a general note for myself, but I think that my sister likes it when I cook for her, my nieces like it when I cook for them. I love cooking for my nieces. I love asking them what it is that everything that they want that to me, like what is your favorite? What do you want me to coming over? I'm going to bring you anything that you want. We're going to cook it, you know, And just the satisfaction of that is there's nothing like that too.
Speaker 3: I always tell people work me, just say yes, no somebody and we can and then at least you say yes, and then I'll say no. But I thought it was interesting you said you just had a stint. When did you work in the kitchen? I should do that? What kitchens did you work in?
Speaker 2: Well? I worked in a few restaurants as a bus boy for a while, and then I went and when I was around sixteen seventeen, I started working as a Sioux chef, like very prep chef really for Marco Knora. He runs a hearth and Broto is another. He had a restaurant in Martha's Vineyard and Edgar Town there and I was for a while really a prep chef for him and did a buckets of lemon comfee for months. That was quite an experience. And then I did my one of my oldest best friends from childhood cooked in New York for a number of years, and I actually at times would join him in the kitchen when they needed sort of extra hands here or there. They don't have any You guys don't have any time. You know, it's just all taken up. It's you know, from ten am until midnight. You know, sometimes two in the morning, you're all working, and so it's hard to have a certain type of friendship and separate days off. So we would spend our time. Sometimes i'd just joined the line, and that was more in college.
Speaker 3: But it's interesting because you also, I always think that there is something well links between the theater with where you were just describing the geography of the kitchen, and I don't know what it's like to be on the stage, but there is very definitely a geography of the kitchen. And I remember we have an open kitchen, as you know, when we opened the kitchen completely, there were no walls at all. Richard Air, director came and said, I said, isn't this theatrical origin? And he said, well, I've been watching you, and actually I think it's more like ballet because everybody's just moving. But I think that maybe the reason a lot of actors like to work in restaurants. Is there are parallels between theater and a restaurant. You know, everybody has to know their lines, and everybody has to have made the part of the sauce. And if the scenery has to be painted and the floor has to be washed, and the curtain goes up, the curtain goes up in a theater, and the curtain goes up in a restaurant.
Speaker 2: I think you could ask a lot of actors. They would say a lot of times they started, you know, in a restaurant. But I do think that there is a theater to a restaurant. And I think what I love so much about the theater is going to the same place nightly, sometimes daily when you have a matinee, you know, if you have lunch service, it's the same thing. It's going to a matinee, you know. And I love the preparatory sort of experience before that. I mean, well, you know, you arrive. For me. What I love is you arrive at the front of the back of the theater. On Broadway in particular. You know, I love coming through the front of the house as I head into the back of that. I do it because there's that that feeling of the front of the house with all the ushers and everybody's preparing, you know, playbills or you know, whatever the program is for the for the evening, and then you know, if the theater has a bar, you know there's they're they're prepping the drinks and making sure everything's in order and the cash registers in order, and you know they're you're walking through people who may be picking up their tickets or ordering tickets first. You know, you get a sense of the majesty of what the audience walks through before they sit down, you know. And I think it gives me, as a performer, an appreciation for every single night, though for us it may feel sometimes monotonous and the same if you do two hundred, two hundred and fifty five hundred performances, that you honor the audience that arrives that night. That every audience is different, and you do feel that once you're on stage, that the energy from them is different. That some are a wild ride. It is a wild ride. Some are very steady, some are and they have their own personalities. But it's something about walking through the front of the house to the back of the house, oh man, that excitement. Oh my gosh, nothing like that feeling, and it is it is. I am so so grateful for it, and I feel at home. I think that's what you know, home feels like.
Speaker 3: Just describing that, I do very often before when we've all cleaned down and everything is ready, and you know you're in the past and you have your sauces and you've done the menu with the team, I often go out the kitchen door down towards the river and I walk around and I come in the front door and I do that, you know, I just come in the front and thinking about just looking at the place and feeling where everybody's going to be in about fifteen minutes time. And it's the same with the audience. I can because we have an open kitchen. I can look out there and I could see somebody giving a taste of their food to their partner, and then you're looking at them to see whether they're liking it. You can tell, you know, or you see people having an intense conversation. And then just the noise, the way the noise builds up. It's quite quiet in the beginning, and.
Speaker 2: You walk through those doors and the River Cafe, and you feel that type of magic. And I also think there's the process of going to a restaurant. It's not even just the restaurant itself. It's the making of a reservation in the case of your restaurant, months in advance, minutes.
Speaker 3: Come on, did you ever book a table?
Speaker 2: But you know you got to you gotta make you gotta make friends, real friends. But that idea of when you decide to make a commitment to an experience, you know, and the anticipation of that experience is part of the experience, and then you know, I think that this very special thing about the River Cafe is that when you're there, your experience is never what you expect because you know in one thing, one way. The menu always changes. So you have your consistencies, you have your certain desserts that you know will always be there, you have certain pieces you know you can always ask or or look towards. But then there's the unexpected. And I love that about the experience and I do feel that way. If you're going to compare theater to restaurants. In theater, that's what I love about theaters.
Speaker 3: Tell me about the what's that? What do you mean that unexpectedness?
Speaker 2: Well, you bring your life with you to the to the theater every night, and your life obviously changes on a daily, hourly, minute by minute basis, and so all of the things that happen within your day, within your week, be they joyous, be they tragic, they come to you, with you to your work, and and there's a way what I'm grateful for is the ability to express those things through in a safe, sacred space, you know. And then also things that happened with the audience. You know, the last show that I did, you know, I was an open monologue with the audience, and so they really had the ability to we at least sort of implied that they could speak to us, you know, in a way.
Speaker 3: What was that like?
Speaker 2: Magical and sometimes disturbing. You know, the piece that I did was very emotional piece and about birth and death, and and there was this really amazing moment that would happen if it happened every night, where I would feel, as you're speaking to an audience, they would click in and then they would ride their own imagination and all of the experiences they had in their own life with losing someone, or with having a child or or you know, all the things I was speaking about would begin to emerge and then they would tell you where they wanted you to go. It was it was that which Monolague was that monologue I did called there are two of them. One was called Seawall and the other one was called A Life that I did A Life, and Tom Sturge one factor. Tom Sturge did Seawall, and we did them as an evening pretty much all of the year before this worldwide pandemic began, and we spent the year first of the Public Theater and then we moved it to Broadway. But in that in that space, that's what was is really really incredible. You know, people weeping sometimes, people getting up and walking out, got walking out, you know, and because you can see those things, because you were facing the audience, it was unlike any other experience I've ever had in my work.
Speaker 3: It's interesting how when we opened the River Cafe after the first lockdown, people came and cried, you know, people were very emotional just being in a restaurant, being with people again. And if you ask waiters, it's interesting that they will tell you that people do cry and in the restaurant, you know that there as you're saying, what do you do in a restaurant? What do you do opening up? And it is quite emotional, and I think we really have missed that contact of people being together someone who loves food so much. Have you had to diet? I mean, have you had to lose weight for a part? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have. I have done that, and you know, it depends. Sometimes I find that you're satisfied in different ways. You know, for instance, you know, if you have a goal for a movie and you know that that goal is going to be a part of telling the story, you know, you constantly have that to go back to. I did this film Nightcrawler. I lost to you know, close to thirty pounds or so, and then doing it, I supplemented certain things sometimes with running, you know, I'd run a lot, and then I learned different safer processes of eating and being able to to lose weight, like you know, giving yourself proteins and it's possible too. You know, I was kind of like I was doing it safely, but you know, I didn't really have all the knowledge. I've learned that over the years, though, I think more and more for someone who loves food, your take making not only the food out of your life. You're taking the experience of being with people because you know you can go and I would at times I would when I was preparing for that film in particular, I would go to dinner with friends and I would, you know, drink a glass of water something like that. But you realize that oftentimes you'd say you can't go to dinner, and you're missing out on that more than anything. What I realize is not just really the food, it's really the connection with the people that I'm missing out on. And and it helped from the character at the time because he was he was a very lonely man, and all those things I could use knowing that I had a space to use them in. And if it's for something that you know, you you really do believe in that, it's for sort of the the expression of something that I'm now very proud of. You know that that was worthwhile. I think it becomes confusing when it's other things.
Speaker 3: And then thing I just wanted to ask you is when because for me, when I go to a city, I always head for the market. You know, if I saw you and as you said, you've been to Spain, I probably would have said, oh, you know, did you did you go to the product? Did you go?
Speaker 2: What did you eat?
Speaker 3: You know, we might say what we pretend to first, to ask what museums or what you don't do, but really what we want to know is the story, because we love stories, don't we. We love a story. And you might tell me how you found a restaurant in some dark alley, or you met somebody and they took you to a you know, a place by the beach. Is your curiosity for restaurants wherever you are or food wherever you are? Do you want to know the food?
Speaker 2: The only thing that matters to me. It is the only thing that that day I didn't have no other interests. It's like when I when I think of going to a city, that's the first thing I always and you know, you know, as insufferable as my friends can say that I am, the one thing they cannot deny is that they will always go to a great meal with me in whatever city we're in.
Speaker 3: That that's that's that's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, And it's also not like I'm not that Like I actually had a dream the other night about that, about just being in an unknown small town sort of in the middle of nowhere and going to the market, and you went to the market to the marketing my dream. And when you said that, I was like, it made me think, that's really where you you learn the most about where you are now.
Speaker 3: It is if you're in Venice, you go to the fish. If you're in a small town, you go to a little place and there might be only four little stalls in Venice.
Speaker 2: There's this incredible I'm sure maybe you know that that black Redicio Tagletaliti that at this small restaurant. Yeah. Never, I'm in Venice. I like that's where I go. I've had a few films that I've gotten into the Venice Film Festival. And as exciting as that is, it's not as exciting as knowing I'll be able to go get that that.
Speaker 3: I'm really here for many reasons. You might think I'm here, but I'm.
Speaker 2: Really Sadly, I've just admitted that my deepest truth. Yeah, that is it. Well, it's good, it's not sad at all. You know to me with you are connection, the fact that you are so endlessly supportive of your friends, and you are an open heart and have given me confidence to do things in my life and my work. That I wouldn't normally have had and you're cooking well, yes, but just the thing that you gave me some cooked tomato sauce as a recipe, makes me want to strive for more. You know, you say, Okay, you can have it, but you got to earn it now.
Speaker 3: I love you, Thank you, Jake. To visit the online shop of the River Cafe, go to shop Therivercafe dot co dot uk.
Speaker 1: River Cafe Table four is a production of iHeartRadio and Adami Studios. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.