Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Mick Shots streaming live on dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys have now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Walls, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: It is a bright sunshiny day here inside the SWBC podcast studio. Everson Walls looks like the shade of the sun. There where his brightness. And Mickey Spagnola here too. This is Mick Shots and there are football players on a football field. How are we doing this? Fine? When the Thursday morning, Thursday Thursday at noon now it's already turned into afternoon.
Speaker 2: Thanks back, So you're getting phone calls?
Speaker 4: Why do you get a phone call every People just don't know what I did, and they knew.
Speaker 2: Why does he call you every show.
Speaker 5: Checking to see who's going to get me off side? You got the ring to have good friends too?
Speaker 2: Silent?
Speaker 5: It is vibrating.
Speaker 3: Hecky, you just had a Mike McCarthy press conference that wrapped up. We have football players arriving on the field for the start of practice. What can you bring us up to speed on as we get you set for Cowboys Steelers Sunday night football.
Speaker 5: Well, one of the things that I noticed on the injury report that Kyle and Carson, who had been starting at corner, ooh, what you just do because I can hear myself? Oh better?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, before it was I didn't do it.
Speaker 5: Well, something happened, something did happen, and I saw you touch something.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: That's mean I was trying to figure out, I'm good start hearing people.
Speaker 5: And Carson missed this last game with a shoulder injury, and yesterday for practice he was limited, which was a step in the right direction that he did not practice all last week. So when Mike was asked about Carson and you know, his deal and for practice, and he said he needs to make a big step today. Now I don't know if he's bluffing or just doesn't want to come clean, but he said, I can't tell you either way at this point. Well you think so that made me think, hmm, limited might have been the reason he was limited, right, and maybe not ready, which means that they're probably gonna you know.
Speaker 2: Well, it sounds like frustration from the coaches point of view.
Speaker 5: It did a little bit, So we'll see, I guess what he's able to do today when they practice in pads. So that stuck stuck out to me.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: The other thing he was talking about, he thought the running game you know better last week. Uh, he said it was their best day so far. But they're built to stop the run and they'll attack you even when you go play action. So it's gonna be a pretty good matchup because each team has got some injury situations going. Uh, their offensive line is beat up, and their defensive line. If you count Alex high Smith as a defensive lineman, he's outside linebacker. However they line up, he's gonna be out with a groin injury. And their backup Nick Herbig has an ankle and he didn't practice yesterday. So maybe that things will even out the amount of injuries were going into this.
Speaker 2: Have t J.
Speaker 3: Watt and Michael Parsons is not supposed to play right. Yeah, so both so maybe it does it even out.
Speaker 5: What do you mean.
Speaker 3: They have t J.
Speaker 2: Watt?
Speaker 5: Well, now you can just concentrate, you can just concentrate on.
Speaker 3: We're going if we're going to talk about pass rushers. Yeah, they haven't advantage this game, Yes they do.
Speaker 5: Well, he's got three sacks in four games. I'll take that. If he only gets one sack.
Speaker 3: You'll take you.
Speaker 2: If you.
Speaker 5: Okay with one track, I'll take.
Speaker 3: Over the course of the season. That would only be like a fourteen sack season instead of a nineteen.
Speaker 5: Saxieson that's that's a win for me.
Speaker 3: If he on, which he's had before.
Speaker 4: And as long as and it's not just that he disrupts all running plays come to his side.
Speaker 5: You know what I noticed. I was watching some of the early plays against the Colts. Uh, they ran the other way and they didn't block him in the running game. They let him dive in from the backside. He made a couple of tackles from behind, but at least they gained three or four yards. They weren't really running right at them.
Speaker 4: I think, you know, you probably use all your resources to concentrate on the vicinity you I mean, if he's coming from backside by Timmy gets there like you said you should.
Speaker 5: If you blocked it well on the front side.
Speaker 4: And that you can use all your resources to concentrate on the hole that needs to be opened.
Speaker 5: The other thing that I noticed is the Colts were not stupid pass blocking. They put two guys over there and sometimes even turn the guard that way and let the center take care of the defensive tackle. Other times they chipped them and he was primarily Now they might switch them around. I didn't get to watch enough of it, but he was on Terrence Steele's side. He was on their left. So we'll see if they say, hmm, let me see where the soft spot is right and go to the site. But if they do, you just got to motion the tight ends over to that side or now the other thing I saw them do and I thought this was interesting. Their safety Deshaun Elliott Texas, is that right now?
Speaker 6: Texas and Rockwall Heath High School? Oh, Rockwall I didn't realize that. Uh, they line up what lot wide and if there's a gap between him and the defensive tackle. A lot of times Elliott is in that gap and he's he's blitzing a lot of time. So that gives you an idea.
Speaker 5: Of Okay, if you think you're going to double team over there, well who's picking up the safety in the slot?
Speaker 2: Well, now that's that's been real.
Speaker 4: The They will probably attack just like they attack anyone else when it comes to the run.
Speaker 2: But whatever the Coat did.
Speaker 4: We can't do what the Colts when it comes to the running game, we just don't do that.
Speaker 2: They're much better running the ball. Had a thousand yard Russia last year.
Speaker 4: I think they was when he made it, because I know he got injured a little bit, but he did.
Speaker 2: He had a thousand yard seasons onto his belt.
Speaker 4: And so their their running style is going to be a whole lot different from ours. We're going to have to tack it a whole different way simply because we're just not as good at it.
Speaker 5: But although they only only ran for I think eighty eight yards in that game, they were throwing the ball, So that means you got to protect and that'll be that'll be a big.
Speaker 3: Chore for Jonathan Taylor not only had a thousand yard season in his career, or had a couple of them. He had an eighteen hundred yards season, but that's been three years ago. Last year, to your point, he had only played ten games with seven starts and seven hundred and forty one yards. But Cowboys showed signs of improving their run game on offense in the game against the Giants.
Speaker 5: Mike said it was their best day and no, we could have figured that out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Boar's kind of low.
Speaker 3: Both offensively and defensively. As far as the run game it's concerned. It was their best.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely we got criticized for playing such good run defense, which.
Speaker 5: Is a good thing, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we only gave up what twenty six.
Speaker 5: Yards twenty six on twenty four Carris And as I mentioned yesterday when we closed, it was probably Mozzie Smith's best day in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about old Mazi.
Speaker 5: It came out of nowhere, had three tackles, had three tackles the game before. And you know what I noticed about him and even after the game, like on Monday, rarely what he said at his locker and allowed the media to come around and have a group interview. Well, he hung in there and he did it, and I saw him smile. I couldn't remember the last time I saw him smile, because when he arrived here as a first round draft choice, big smile had kind of a big personality. His mom was here with him and said that you know, he was a jokester, and I was like, hey, well we're gonna say it. We never saw it, right, And she said something like laughter is the biggest part of life or something, and that wasn't him. But on Monday I saw him smile and one of the things after kind of most everybody left, I think there was just one or two of us there, he started talking about I want to be able to carry my weight and I don't want to be dead weight. And I was like, hmm, all right, and he actually smiled and shook hands with us, and I said, well, maybe he's coming out of his shell.
Speaker 4: Well, he's coming out of his shell as a player. Yeah, that kind of helps. I would imagine this help your personality, help his personality, his confidence right now. Right, he had the three tackles this past game. I didn't know about the three in the previous game, but I do know that after every play, if he wasn't in on the tackle, he was pushing someone into the play.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: His pressure throughout the entire game was consistent and consistently good.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 4: I mean, when you looked up, he was always a guy that was doing the pushing.
Speaker 2: He was a guy that was what he was boasted.
Speaker 3: We had seen that this previous However many games it's been in his career, seventeen Bluster twenty games, in his career. We wouldn't be talking about there weren't many questions about Mazie Smith.
Speaker 2: No, that was a first. We wouldn't be surprised that he knows how.
Speaker 5: To smile and he's getting more snaps obviously right out of necessity.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he just looks like, I'm sorry, I never saw that guy last year. I never hardly How many tackles did he make last year? Did we know what that number?
Speaker 2: It's got to be.
Speaker 5: Minisculled because maybe fifteen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, come on, I mean, this guy is I'm just so glad that he's coming out of his shell and that regard. Now once again it was just the Giants, but you did what you were supposed to do. When you're supposed to kick someone's ass, you kicked that ass.
Speaker 3: He had thirteen tackles last year. Wow, thirteen tackles, three tackles for loss in three quarterback hurries, one sack in three hundred and four snaps total last year and.
Speaker 2: He feels that so he felt it all off season.
Speaker 5: These last two games he had I want to say it was close to forty forty some snaps in each game. So that was you know, that was like Okay, we can play this guy a little bit more. I've got it right here. Forty seventy smith, forty six snaps and then twenty.
Speaker 3: Twenty six against the Giants. Forty six against Baltimore.
Speaker 2: Twenty six against the Giants.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so that's pretty good participation. That's not bad, right, that's not bad.
Speaker 3: So so yeah, and we talked about it. You know, they have a the Giants have a young center, John Michael Schmidtz, who played at Minnesota in the Big Ten. It was a second round draft pick last year, so basically the same age as Mozzi. And this week he's going up against a rookie center for the Steelers and Zach Frazier out of West Virginia. And so, I mean that probably helps a young player's confidence too, that you're going up against a guy that's your peer and not a seven year veteran and who knows all the tricks?
Speaker 4: Who did you play against in Baltimore? Against Baltimore, what's what was the center of veteran.
Speaker 3: Tyler Linderbaum?
Speaker 2: Three tackles against him?
Speaker 3: And Linderbaum is another he's from Iowa. He's another Big ten guy, and so another he's a little bit older a couple of years.
Speaker 5: And potentially they you know, they lost their starting well, they did lose their starting right guard Daniels.
Speaker 3: So Linderbaum was in the first round pick in two years ago.
Speaker 2: So well, the.
Speaker 4: Fact that he was able to get three tackles from him, and I know that Derek him, we was able to run run all over the place. But uh, you got to hold your own. Yeah, you got to hold your own. Can't speak for anybody else.
Speaker 3: So basically he's got three straight games now where he's gone up against young sinners who are you know, which up and coming who should be guys that uh, you know from an experience standpoint and so forth. They don't have an edge on him, you know. And even his play strength don't have an edge on him, you know. So they haven't been around the block.
Speaker 5: Like facing guys of his own.
Speaker 2: Ill.
Speaker 4: Right, That's good and had a lot to do with the building of the confidence.
Speaker 5: The other thing probably need to clear out since clear up, since we were kind of guessing yesterday on Brandon Cook's situation. So my understanding is that after the game on Friday and Saturday, he did a he took a platelet injection to help his sore knees, one each day and one of those injections, and it was planned. The Cowboys knew he was doing and evidently he's done it before.
Speaker 3: Good time to do it. It's a bye week, it's a mini bye week game. You got more time before the next game.
Speaker 5: The problem was one of those shots or whatever they injected them, the blood caused the infection and understand that. And so when he got back here, the Cowboys got on top of it right away.
Speaker 2: Is there negligence involved here?
Speaker 5: Well, that part because it's you have something like that and you get an injection and you get an infection, you would think so, right.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yeah, I mean I thought you were about to make excuses for him, like, no, this is something that should be.
Speaker 3: And it was.
Speaker 2: It should be just.
Speaker 5: And it was where he New York and the reason he had it after the game because he previously in his career had done it.
Speaker 4: There that part, I get no problem with that. Yeah, But if we're going to make this happen and we're going to be strategic on how we do it, we're trying to be timely with it with the many buy or whatever, and then now we have a problem.
Speaker 5: Well, they had to solve the problem when he got back here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, now now we have a setback, correct.
Speaker 5: So not this week, We'll see next week. And then you got to buy. So so that plan failed, We'll see, uh where it goes. Well, I don't know that the Cowboys endorsed it. He did it.
Speaker 4: They knew he was going to do it. It's a plan, yeah, and it failed. I blame it because I just know that it failed.
Speaker 5: So anyway, Jalen Tobert, Ca Turpin, Jalen Brooks, Jalen Brooks, and maybe flow Noy. This is your life, her opportunity.
Speaker 4: The reality is, if you want to be doomsday about it, uh, this is not the time for that.
Speaker 2: This is not the game for that. We need this game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I was hoping that he was going to be one of the guys that's going to provide us the.
Speaker 2: Tools to do that.
Speaker 5: Well, got to step up, gotta step up. Hey, they got problems with their receivers not named George right anyway, So we'll see how well the Cowboys defense can adapt to that.
Speaker 3: And we have a Player of the Month award, Yes, the NFC Special Teams Player of the Month. Brandon Aubrey of course, twelve of thirteen on field goals, five for five from forty to forty nine yards and six for seven from fifty plus yards. You know they need to add a category. How many he was sixty in beyond?
Speaker 5: Which is two of two or three of three this year? Two of two, right, should be three of three.
Speaker 3: If for a delayed game penalty.
Speaker 5: Y's right, that would have tied the NFL all time record.
Speaker 3: That's right, yep, delay game time out. You could have taken a time out. We don't want to take those timeouts because we want to.
Speaker 5: Stay rhythm right.
Speaker 3: One ice our own kickers, but twice now we've had timeouts and decided not to use it. He missed one field.
Speaker 5: Goal they had, they had.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying, we don't have time for mistakes this year. We got to get on it, guys. I mean we need to be had.
Speaker 5: They had a big issue with the clock management by the officials on what happened.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmmmm.
Speaker 2: So then that the verdict is still out there, do we know what's up?
Speaker 5: Well, they thought that the t was going to get reset because of they ran a guy on the field and it wasn't a substitution. They only had ten and they held up the snap, sat over the center and told them not yet, not yet, not yet. They were ready to go, and they let that guy run on.
Speaker 3: So they don't do it as a rule when the special teams unit comes on the field.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's not a substitution, right, I substituted, you substitute because the special teams It's not like, oh, I brought in a different wide receiver, so they get to bring in another corner, right, and you hold up the snap. So yeah, that was their negligence.
Speaker 2: M sided coach.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, we continue with more Mickey rants next shots.
Speaker 4: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends.
Speaker 2: Want to stay at the.
Speaker 4: Team hotel, attend the best tail game party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x'es and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 7: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately, I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 3: Keeps it slides for the first down.
Speaker 7: Invest like your icons, where everyone is a rooking crypto With blockchain dot Com perfick.
Speaker 3: Throw my goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 7: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 8: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here with football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster canholer comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed YETI Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetti dot com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 3: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Light is brewed to be less feeling. What are you doing here?
Speaker 1: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 5: Look, I'm just reading the script.
Speaker 3: It says less fillings. That's not what my script says.
Speaker 2: Hell mindset.
Speaker 9: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers Little Lighters in fact less.
Speaker 3: Filling and taste great. I'm me Shine, Legal guy.
Speaker 9: Celebrate Responsible l Walkee Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands, three point two grams carvers for twelve bounces, fewer Cowson cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 1: Tomed shuts.
Speaker 4: The Cowboys take on the Steelers in Pittsburgh on October six, so we're hosting a free watch party presented by seventy eleven. Join us at Miller Lighthouse at AT and T Stadium to watch the game with Cowboys Nation Q Thunderstruck because the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders are performing and Rowley will be there too watch the game, Grab a slurpy and cheer loud. Get your free tickets at dallascowboys dot com Slash watch Party.
Speaker 9: Wonder what they're gonna be putting in those slurpees. When's October saw slurpy? When that's October sixth? When is that this weekend?
Speaker 3: That would be Sunday night the Cowboys and the Steelers.
Speaker 5: You're going to the Miller Lighthouse for a slurpy heart sloping, heart sloping. Very good?
Speaker 3: You looking forward to this weekend, Mickey, I am so. The last time I guess you went to Pittsburgh was twenty sixteen.
Speaker 5: Uh, Ezekiel Elliott touchdown at the end.
Speaker 3: Dak Prescott was your quarterback right Zeke Elliott, and Zach Martin was on that offensive line. Frederick Frederick was the man. I went back and watched. I watched the last part of that game last night, and I went, oh, man, look at that offense.
Speaker 2: Everything was going backwards.
Speaker 3: Yeah. You had that Tyron Smith in his prime at left tackle, Ronald Leary in his prime time at left guard, Travis Frederick, who would have been in his fourth year in his prime at center, Zach Martin was born in his prime at right guard, and you had Doug Free at right tackle.
Speaker 5: Doug Free before Leall Collins, right.
Speaker 3: Uh huh yeah.
Speaker 2: So and they were pushing them back and so just the entire.
Speaker 3: Dame and I and since then I always thought, oh, that was one of the best games of that season. And of course the Cowboys went on what an eleven game win streak that year. That was win number eight in a row, week ten of the season. And early on in that game, towards the end of the first quarter, it was a screen passed to Zeke and he took it eighty three yards down the sideline.
Speaker 2: Not just the running but the blocking field amazing.
Speaker 3: So then the game comes down to the last two minutes of the game. You got to go find it and watch it. It was really I had forgotten just the intensity and just all the story up, all the scoring that start that that that happened in the last two minutes of the game. Uh so the Cowboys were okay. The final score was thirty five to thirty. Steelers had four miss two point conversions that so it was a crazy even though that's a normal score thirty five to thirty, the numbers leading up to that were way off because of miss.
Speaker 5: I thinks they they didn't have a kicker. No, they were just once you try and miss, and then you try, and it was trying to trying to get a three point.
Speaker 2: Pressure on them by scoring.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they they the onus was always on Pittsburgh's offense.
Speaker 2: We have to keep pace from the first extra point that we missed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I should you go ahead and look up the box score, but I don't have time to. So anyway, it comes down the last two minutes of the game, and Cowboys have the ball and in fact, Zeke, well this is I'm just picking it up at the two minute one, okay, and Zeke scores a touchdown a fourteen yard run to give the Cowboys a one point lee. I can't remember one two points. It is a narrow lead, okay, or maybe it was like a five point lead, okay. And the Steelers come back. So they get the ball back with a minute forty left or whatever, and with forty two seconds left, they're facing a third down play they're coming up to clock it and that's when Big Ben faked no nice faked it the crew to Antonio Brown and corner pass. Yeah, and we were snookered and so then so the Steelers took the lead. And that was what I want to say. It was forty two seconds left that gave the Steelers a thirty to twenty nine lead. So now the Cowboys get it and they're backed up, okay with they maybe had a timeout or tack the part, but they did have it a couple of timeouts, and so the Cowboys get it. Dak completes a couple of passes and they're showing shots of Dan Bailey on the sideline. It's okay, all you gotta do is get a Dan Bailey field go get a field goal range. And of course back then we had a kicker who was a Pro Bowl kicker who couldn't kick it sixty six yards. Yeah, it was very complete, it was right. So they get it.
Speaker 5: Down here yesterday.
Speaker 3: But they actually they actually had a pass to Cole Beasley that should have been a face mask call against. It was a blatant face mask. They didn't call it. Okay, that converted got it one first down, then a past to Whitton and it was not a not a blatant face mask, but it was a face mask. And that one, that call with fifteen seconds left, got the Cowboys down to the thirty two yard line and they're basically, okay, we're just in position, get it wherever Dan Bailey wants it. On the field. We'll kick the field and go home with a thirty two to thirty win.
Speaker 2: They thought they hand off.
Speaker 3: To Zeke and there is a whole as why and Zeke goes thirty two yards up the middle, untouched, game winning touchdown with nine seconds left. Zeke in that game had two hundred and nine yards from scrimmage, Yes he did.
Speaker 5: But guess what, Rossellisberger threw for four hundred and eight yards okay, and got beat great game?
Speaker 3: What did what Doc have?
Speaker 5: Three hang on three nineteen two touchdowns? He had four oh eight three touchdowns?
Speaker 3: But what a what a great game that was.
Speaker 4: So you've got the combination of Dak and Zeke and then you've got Roethlisberger and Le'Veon Bell. It was one right they running back in the league at that time.
Speaker 3: And they had Antonio Browns or what and so they had some fire.
Speaker 5: Bell had and Bell had nine catches for seventy seven yards.
Speaker 3: That's what he did and.
Speaker 2: The U.
Speaker 3: But when you look at Dak and Zeke and where the Cowboys were that that game and the road game at Green Bay are the ones from that rookie season that stood out more than anything for me and the Green Bay game was a couple of weeks. It was that was Green Bay was October sixteenth, thirty to sixteen win, and then the Pittsburgh game was November thirteenth, so nearly a month later, those road wins, and that's when we realized we got something here.
Speaker 2: You know, talked about those those rookie.
Speaker 3: And basically, but by the time the Pittsburgh win happened that Romo was back healthy again. I believe it was leading up to that when Romo had his press conference and what did that say? Which was which what did he say this press conference? Mackey? You remember basically he basically was handed over, yeah, thank you and good night.
Speaker 5: Well this is kind of saying.
Speaker 2: And he really making some money.
Speaker 5: They're a Pittsburgh leading tackler with nine in that game, Ryan Shazier. Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: But anyway, what a what a great game that was and also shows the importance of a run game, importance of offensive line. Yes, I'm thinking about Okay, where are the Cowboys now compare to you know. One of the things though, one of the really interesting things I thought, and looking at that footage from that game was Dak Prescott and you can see you go back and look at him his rookie year and that look at him and his improvement as far as technique, everything about every aspect of being an NFL quarterback. It is amazing to see now he was playing winning football, okay, but he was basically just managing games.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: In that season he had twenty three touchdowns and only four interceptions. He took care of the football and at some point in his career he got to get to the point where he could make plays, but you could see his form. Everything is different now and it shows all the work that he has done throughout his career. And think about the and shout out to the late Wade Wilson, the quarterback coaches that he's had, and the head coaches who have like McCarthy, like Jason Garrett, who have brought him along to and making sure that he does all the little things from a fundamental standpoint to improve as a quarterback, the things that he's done in the off season.
Speaker 4: To control the game at the line of script, all that stuff.
Speaker 3: And so it's fascinating to go back and look at the twenty sixteen Dak Prescott and understand what a special player the Cowboys have now in twenty twenty four. He was special then he was Now.
Speaker 2: We're talking three hundred plus yards.
Speaker 3: And yeah, we're talk game whatever. But the improvement that he has made, without his work ethic and all that he's put into that, he was not going to be able to sustain that like he has in his.
Speaker 4: Career because the Cowboys couldn't sustain a running game. That's right, this running game at twenty sixteen. That helped him get through that rawness that he had, right.
Speaker 3: Because what I remember from that season, as much as anything, opening drives of games. The Cowboys had a ridiculous stretch during that winning streak where they would score touchdowns on virtually every opening drive of the game. They get the ball and they go seventy five eighty yards for a time.
Speaker 4: Was that the year that we went to Seattle? Or in one did we go to Seattle.
Speaker 2: And win that year?
Speaker 3: They look at up?
Speaker 5: You mean in the playoffs?
Speaker 2: No regular season?
Speaker 3: Oh no, you may be that was not in twenty sixteen, which so that's eight years later, twenty eighteen, lost at Seattle. You may be thinking about this. We've been romo though. The Seattle win in twenty fourteen, which was a huge road win in week six of the season thirty twenty three.
Speaker 2: I don't even think but that.
Speaker 3: And of course that was a year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that was before the bookies got there.
Speaker 5: So it's eight years and sixty million dollars later, eight years and how many years?
Speaker 3: Yeah here, I was gonna say, no, it's like one sixty plus two hundred and whatever.
Speaker 2: Too much money, yo, too much money.
Speaker 3: Anyway, that's my put on that segment.
Speaker 2: Good stuff. I love it.
Speaker 3: Go watch it. I mean, it'll bring back some fond memory.
Speaker 4: What's the entire season? Yeah, even the green bag, even the playoffs.
Speaker 3: But as it relates to this and being at that stadium, which, by the way, they got a new name for the stage no longer Heinz Field. It's Akrischuer Stadium. So naming rights deal sty pitchback a stadium which happened apparently two years ago.
Speaker 5: So seven twenty start by the way.
Speaker 3: Okay, seven twenty start on Sunday night, all right, much more to get to here on Mixed Shots in just a moment.
Speaker 10: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed Forces. Since the Civil War, fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 8: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster canholer comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed YETI Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions, and on yetti dot com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Hey, Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing.
Speaker 2: Don't worry.
Speaker 7: Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 3: Kitchit shlides for the first down.
Speaker 7: Invest like your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto. Blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 3: Perfect throw my goodness, tweve did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 7: Visit blockchain dot com Slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 4: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. Want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tailgay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk ex's and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 1: Devicted Shots.
Speaker 4: Frisco Octoberfest returns for its fifth annual celebration at the Star in Frisco on Saturday, October fifth, from eleven am to nine pm. Enjoyed German cuisine, traditional Octoberfest games live music and entertainment all day while sipping on Octoberfest beer. Join the Star in Frisco for a full day of festive fun.
Speaker 2: So what we got on the fifth, you got beer, It's Saturday. On the sixth, you got slurpy right.
Speaker 3: Then your weekend is four there you go. We've got football tonight, we got Thursday night football. And they've done well on these Thursday night games and they've done division matchups this year, and I think that makes a difference. I don't know if that continues around the entire season.
Speaker 2: Last year it was just a disaster.
Speaker 3: You got Tampa Bay at Atlanta tonight. Of course, last week it was the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: That's gonna that's gonna be a good one. That's gonna be a go on. That's good.
Speaker 3: And there are some good matchups this weekend. You had your first London game on Sunday morning as well, yep, thirty Sunday mornings, the Jets and the Vikings. So they hit a home run with that one too.
Speaker 5: Better not sleep in. Yeah, oh, look at this. Jerry's not going to be happy with that. Jets and Saints high on Devonte Adams trade wishless. When's the Cowboys not been put in any trade, that is.
Speaker 3: Okay, think about the Jets and think about the SEC.
Speaker 5: I know they both got connections.
Speaker 3: And the Cowboys do too. Well.
Speaker 2: Hell, he moved to Vegas to be with Carr.
Speaker 4: Then they cut car but they live right, they live like right next do with each other now.
Speaker 5: But now cars in New Orleans, which is one of the teams they're suggesting. And his personal wide receiver coach is the wide receiver coach for the Saints. I believe it's Kevin Williams.
Speaker 2: So what's the Jets connection, Rogers, that's it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, well that's a big connection.
Speaker 2: Yeah not right now. Well, it'll be bigger if he gets there. Yeah, but you know right now.
Speaker 5: You know the deal with him. So he would cost if you traded for him like this week, he would cost you thirteen point five million the rest of the season. Nine hundred and seventy thousand dollars a week is what's on his cap. And well, we got twenty one meal and next year, yeah, that's what everybody says. We got twenty one. Just absorb it all and I don't carry any over next year.
Speaker 2: Well, we won't need the rest of this year.
Speaker 5: And next year. His next two years, his base salaries are thirty five million. So whatever you traded, it might be just for one year.
Speaker 2: Well you know all in.
Speaker 3: You know the the other connection on the Jets, Nathaniel Hacketts their offensive coordinator. He was with the Packers, that's right.
Speaker 2: That was the head coach of the Broncos.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's right, Beef Paul's son.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, yeah, he acts like Paul Son. Yeah. I could tell.
Speaker 5: Not high on Paul Hackett. No, he had the number one offense in eighty six.
Speaker 3: He realized the connection between Paul Hackett and Mike McCarthy. What is that went back to the University of Pittsburgh when Paul Hackett was the head coach University of Pittsburgh, back the head coach here, McCarthy points to Paul Hackett as a guy that had a major influence on him. And basically McCarthy and I've done a lot of this research because he's going back home to Pittsburgh and preparation for the Mike McCarthy Show today, looking back at his trail and when he went back to Pittsburgh, he went back McCarthy went back to Pittsburgh in nineteen eighty nine and didn't have a job, going back home, living at home, and his dad apparently told him, you know what, you need to just go knock on a door at the University of Pittsburgh and tell him you want to work there. And so he summoned up the courage and he was scared of death, but he went up there and he knocked on the door and said, Hey, I want a job. I want to work wow. And they called him back the next day and it just so happened that one of their gas had left and uh, it was unpaid to start with. He was working in the graveyard ship here. Yeah, he was a he was a volunteer. Uh, and I guess.
Speaker 4: But when he knocked on his door and he said I want to work there, he gave me a volunteer job.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, he gave me a volunteers.
Speaker 5: He was working that if Bill was saying that the graveyard.
Speaker 3: Graveyard ship told booth on the Pennsylvania turnpipe is what he was working.
Speaker 5: And uh, but he was living at home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: Then he and by the way, John Gruden was one of the assistant coaches on that staff. I think at the University of Pittsburgh. There were a number of them, and so he was there for four years. So for not during that time, you have to go back to Dorset. Yeah, So he was a GA for a couple of years, and then he was on the staff there for a couple of years. And then Hackett got fired at pitt and then he got he went to Kansas City with the Chiefs as an assistant coach, and McCarthy followed him to Kansas City.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I'm not gonna be Marty.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna be like somebody on this podcast and where you know, you have a certain opinion about somebody from twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: You know, you gotta grow up, right, you know.
Speaker 4: Me and Jimmy, I mean, I love what I hate what they do to Jimmy, but then I love what he gets, you know, regardless of what happened to us. I'm like somebody at this podcast, at the table who holds the grudge longer than I think anyone has ever held their grudge in life. So I'm gonna be anti Mickey if.
Speaker 5: I held the grudge against Oh my god, who you don't you hold the grudge again.
Speaker 2: Let's just we'll come back on that with tomorrow. How about that?
Speaker 5: That's my homework.
Speaker 4: Got a couple more minutes figure out whost Yes, there you.
Speaker 5: Go, and most of them are players are coaches. Players are just trying to figure that out. So this the Pittsburgh release left out one thing about McCarthy. It gives uh his coaching record overall at the franchise and then versus an opponent, Mike Tomlins two and two against the Cowboys and Mike McCarthy's zero and four against.
Speaker 3: The steel Game. They left out only the super Bowl.
Speaker 5: Damn super Bowl.
Speaker 3: By the way, if you research that too, all of McCarthy's matchups against the Tomlin and the Steelers have been on one score games.
Speaker 5: And uh say there from.
Speaker 4: Paul Hacket and David Shuler are the same guys, twin dummies. Oh man, see Nate holds the glute too.
Speaker 2: Sometimes that's cool.
Speaker 3: You know what's the best thing about that text. You know what the best thing about that text is is that it's not he doesn't say David Shula.
Speaker 2: Shooter, yes right.
Speaker 5: Now, he's right on that.
Speaker 3: Yeh man, Now I can't remember what I was talking about. You want to talk about that? Oh yeah, okay? That and four that they cited. Okay, how many times did McCarthy start to back up quarterback against the Steelers? Three times? And starting if you go backwards, Garrett Gilbert in two thousand started for the Cowboys against the Steelers.
Speaker 5: I forgot about that that name, And actually I said.
Speaker 11: Whot Garrett Gilbert in two thousand actually had a nineteen to nine lead in the fourth quarter, Ben brought the Steelers back with fifteen fourth quarter points to win.
Speaker 2: Those are some forgettable years, bag, So yeah, yes, Garrett Gilbert.
Speaker 3: And then prior to that, it was Matt Flynn and Brett Huntley where they were two. So three times he didn't the McCarthy did not have his starting quarterback against the Steelers. And I guess you could say this time, maybe the Steelers don't have their starting quarterback because Russell Wilson's not playing field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know about that. And one one note from Nate and Frisco.
Speaker 4: Uh huh, he said, one broke Mike Shuwa's leg and the other one tried to dog out Troy.
Speaker 2: Nate will never forget that because that's his quarter back.
Speaker 3: So I'm talking about that's right, that's right. Broke shots. All right, I get Paul Hackett was going to be the heir apparent to.
Speaker 5: Tom knew it when he did, he just knew it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Just remember eighty six six and two tied for first with the Giants and number one offense in the NFL, and then Danny White got hurt. Giants never lost another game. They played him the next week, and I mean that week and the Cowboys only one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I remember that.
Speaker 3: All right, That does it for another edition of mixed Shots.
Speaker 5: Look at this.
Speaker 3: What wait wait wait wait wait wait.
Speaker 5: When we look at they act like they're talking about.
Speaker 3: This is on ESPN. Jerry Jones landed at Copy and they got a little in Jerry Copy.
Speaker 2: Is this news?
Speaker 3: He all the time? You know why? Because it happened when the media was out at practice.
Speaker 5: He got accused of that on the radio.
Speaker 2: By the way, I.
Speaker 3: Actually used music for him in the intro to mash as we showed the.
Speaker 2: I said, uh, only.
Speaker 3: Radar O'Reilly would would have seen this latest injury occur. Brandon cooks really good, and you know what, you can get away with it because no one listens long enough to not know.
Speaker 5: What you were talking about there.
Speaker 3: Now, I think he is. I looked him up just to make sure last night before I heard him.
Speaker 5: Let's not worry about the game. Let's just talk about the helicopter by the way. Uh kJ Henry, he said. He turned to one of the teammates and goes, is this a normal thing? It is like, welcome to the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Buddy, all right, natean Frisco is ready to send us back in.
Speaker 4: So here we got.
Speaker 3: We'll see again tomorrow. Fabulous fight song Football Friday tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Go get Boy.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.