Speaker 1: Hello, Hello Lou, Happy New Year, Andrea Barber Joe, what sweet first of twenty twenty four. Yes, well for us and for us it's our first recording session of twenty twenty four. How were your holidays? Did you have a nice Christmas?
Speaker 2: And I got sick? Oh no at one point, not like I was pretty crappy for like two days. But it was a perfect like I just gave myself permission to like just kind of be mellow.
Speaker 1: Oh good.
Speaker 2: So yeah, no, But it was other than that, it was great. It was easy, you know, small family, just small little get together at the house, have kids and my husband and my parents, and yeah, that was really it. And then New Year we did, uh you know night, We did our New Year's celebration at nine pm and that was it.
Speaker 1: That's not the best. That's the best I did. Not a couple of weeks later, so people are very much over again the Christmas.
Speaker 2: But I feel like January is that month when it's like the first time you see people, You're like, okay, we I have to talk to you. How it's yeah, how the holidays were?
Speaker 1: Yeah, very true, very true.
Speaker 2: Nothing nothing. Yeah, February is really when we start back to work.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's when that's when my brain finally goes back.
Speaker 2: Somewhere around mid February.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I did not stay up till midnight. I I went to bed at eleven pm, which was late for me. On New Year's and Christmas was fine. I felt like the the winter break was so long, Like Felicity didn't go back to school until today, right, Yeah, Beach had a very long winter break. It felt like years. But now we're all back back to work, back.
Speaker 2: To school, back to business, back to podcasting.
Speaker 1: Yes, and my I'm very on edge because I've Felicity takes her driving test in a few weeks, so we've been really emphasizing going out every day and driving. And it is absolutely hell like it is. It is the my I don't know if Zoe has started, is she I don't know if she has a permit or if she's getting geared out.
Speaker 2: And she's working on it.
Speaker 1: She's working on it, so, oh, well, I think you'll be a much better driving instructor than I am, because I am a very nervous driver. I'm a very nervous passenger.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have Yeah, it's I'm a little she's done like parking lot driving, so not like real driving. So we'll get there though, We'll get there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hate it. I hated it when I taught Tate. I hate it now. It's I'm I've got notts in my head.
Speaker 2: It's not fun. Teaching your kids anything is like stressful and their stress and your stress, and then teaching them how to operate a vehicle around other people operating vehicles. Oh right, terrifying.
Speaker 1: There's so many things that could go wrong, right because you're like, yeah, yeah, exactly exactly, And she's good, like she's she's a good driver, but she is she is nervous like me, which is not good. So I always say, I'm like, well, you're great as long as no other cars are on the road. But once other cars get on the road.
Speaker 2: That's gonna be a problem. Here in LA, it's a.
Speaker 1: Little bit of a problem. So not got to land to drive defensively in uh in l A. Yeah, it's not not an easy state to drive in for sure.
Speaker 2: I mean, as we've seen on the show, apparently San Francisco is also not a great city to drive him. You know, cars go sailing into into.
Speaker 1: Bays and motorcycles get damn cycles. Yeah, it's all because of Jesse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he is gonna be hard to ensure. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 1: Yes, State Farm's gonna drop him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that State Farm is not always on his side.
Speaker 1: Well, let's get into this next episode.
Speaker 2: Continuing with season two, Season two episode two. Yeah, this is a big one for you too, by the way, which I loved.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, No, it is a big one. My name's in the title, Tanner Versus Gibbi. Okay, so today we're discussing season two, episode two, Tanner Versus Gibbler, which originally aired on October twenty first, nineteen eighty eight, and it goes a little something like this. Danny starts a new job at the TV station, co hosting a morning talk show called Wake Up San Francisco. He meets his new co host, Rebecca Donaldson, just days before work is supposed to begin. Also, DJ throws a surprise birthday party for Kimmy, but Kimmy's older friends clash with DJ, causing a rift between the girls. Those our first big fight, DJ, Kimmy's first big fight, and I am here for this. It was directed by John Boab. I don't know if I said that right, I mean that looks right. Okay, look at it Tommy speaking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have not I I will say, I don't know, I don't remember.
Speaker 1: I have no recollection of this.
Speaker 2: But I loved the I loved the some of the shots. It was different, it felt different, felt uh, it felt a little more soap opera at moments, like there was a shot where you're like kind of in the foreground and DJ walks in and like. And there were a couple of things like sitting in the window seat of one of the of the girls room that we don't usually do. Just some pieces of like set that weren't necessarily used, or like moving the camera up into set a little bit more. It was it was interesting.
Speaker 1: I liked it. I liked it too. I liked it too. I'm I'm interested if this style will continue or if this director comes back. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't know. It'll be interesting.
Speaker 1: I liked it. I liked his style. So I'm a big fan, big fan of John Boab. This episode was written by Lenny Rips, who we love. I love because he created Kimmy Gibler and so he included me in a lot of his scripts.
Speaker 2: Yep, he created Kimmy and he he loved writing for Steph too. He liked he liked writing for the little smart ass lines for stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, the best. You always have the best smartle like lines. And we have several notable guest stars this week. Most notable we have the introduction of Lori Lachlan as Becky Donaldson.
Speaker 2: Which is, Oh, my good god.
Speaker 1: Thank god Becky has arrived.
Speaker 2: Right, it's I can't I can't take any more. I can't deal with Jesse anymore with without Becky. No, you've got a like she is, We've got We're stepping in the right direction here with season two.
Speaker 1: Jesse's like a snake shedding his old skin. He's emerging, he's growing.
Speaker 2: He's growing. It's lovely.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank goodness. And so Laurie. She had appeared on CBS Movies of the Week and specials, but most notably, she was in Back to the Beach with Frankie and Annette.
Speaker 2: And also the movie rad Oh remember that movie? No, Yeah, movie rad Oh. I think it was rat. I always get rad and gleaning the key. Uh confused, Okay, but I believe it was Rad And I think it was BMX riding like by like bike riding. Maybe it was skateboarding. I feel like leaving the cube of skateboarding and that this might have been like a rad bike riding like BMS.
Speaker 1: Okay, never seen it, never heard of it, all right, yep, but good to know, good to know. Very eighties obviously with the movie sounds very eighties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's just you can picture the neon.
Speaker 1: Also guest starring this week is Kimberly Dunham as Melissa and Amy Foster as Nina. I immediately recognized her.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh my gosh, you're on so many things.
Speaker 1: She's done so many things. She's most well known for playing Margo on Punky Brewster.
Speaker 2: That's what I remember her from was that.
Speaker 1: And she played Claire in Troop of Beverly Hills. I remember that too, Like, yes, such a great movie. Yeah, she was just a sitcom queen in the nineties, Charles in Charge, Wonder Year's Empty Nest, Step by Step, these iconic shows. What a resume. And she stopped acting back in nineteen ninety four, which I can relate to. That's right about the time I stopped acting as well. But she did appear as Margo when Punky Brewster did their reboot in twenty twenty one. So that's great that she came back for that. Good for her. Yeah. And then our last guest star of this week is Richard Paul as mister Strobridge.
Speaker 2: Also a very well known character actor that I've seen in a ton of things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think he comes back. He comes back later in later episodes two, which is great because he's such a great actor. He played Jerry Folwell in The People versus Larry Flint.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And he was a star of a seventies TV show called Carter Country County, Carter County, Well that too, Carter. I can't read Carter County, Okay, And so his tons of TV credits to his name. But sadly he passed away in nineteen ninety eight. Oh, so very sad. I did not know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, I have some definite like faces that you've seen on a lot of eighties and nineties TV shows and stuff.
Speaker 1: In this episode, very recognizable. And he plays He does such a good job as Danny's boss trying to talk Danny down. Yes, so we opened, we have new opening credits like I had wonder last time we got new credit. I knew the kids had gotten new credits the last episode, but now, yeah, John the haircut, the haircut, He's got a new opening credit, which is great. There's an updated shot of the family riding in bullet the convertible on the bridge. It looks like there's some two scenes in the park in.
Speaker 2: Some new stuff in the park. Yeah, John's got like the black hat on that, Like we kind of redid the running scene, like oh yeah that we shot in the park, and like the soccer or whatever. And then there was a couple things in a grocery store. I did not remember the part of the intro where there's like women talking to the baby in the cart and the three guys are at the grocery store, Like I don't remember that.
Speaker 1: That was just hey, you know it's they got to appeal to all the day. Yeah, the jet I.
Speaker 2: Was like, oh that just because it was sort of like in the first season where the two girls walk by and you know, Jesse and Joey go like off that way. It was that moment. But the updated version.
Speaker 1: The updated version, oh, it was great. It was great. Michelle is just a woman magnet, a babe magnet, if you will. Yeah, so great. And then instead of at the very last shot, instead of picking up the baby off the kitchen floor, Bob picks up a toddler or the top. Michelle as a toddler walks over to him and he picks her up and puts her in the chair for the family dinner. So great. This is such a good updated opening credits. I loved it. So we open our cold open in Michelle's room, where Michelle is bouncing on her little horse Rocker. When Jesse asked if she wants to go sleepy, Michelle promptly answers no. So Joey asks if she wants to stay up all night, and again she answers no. Jesse scoffs and questions, well, isn't mister Horsey tired. Michelle tells him no, and Joey asks, are you gonna say anything but no? And Michelle responds no, no, Clearly this is a word. She had very excited to showcase her new lexicon of the word right no.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. When toddler's learn no, they're like, I'm gonna say it for everything.
Speaker 1: It's so funny. So Joey tries to trick her asking what's your favorite James Bond movie? Would it happen to be Doctor? And Michelle finishes by saying no. And I laughed at this part because you can see Mary, Kate or Ashley staring straight up at the boom mic and.
Speaker 2: You're gonna say, remember the boom So a boom mic is like it's a long it's like on a long stick. And on sitcoms they had like these little like podium things and so this the the boom mic will go into set and it's kind of on a stick and the operator can be turning it depending on who's talking and things. But you know, to a baby, it's this little thing that's like up in the air sort of moving around, and so they were fascinated by it and like look at it, and you know they would be like moving around and they like play games with it and stuff, and yeah, it.
Speaker 1: Was uh and you can't tell a toddler don't look at that. I don't look at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look at it. Yeah, And it's near enough that they're like, should I touch it?
Speaker 1: I'm sure we'll see this again in a future episodes. Them trying to grow so funny. So Jesse and Joey laugh at Michelle's response, and Jesse admits it seems like we're unable to put a two year old to bed. Joey asks Jesse if it's possible that she's smarter than them. They both start to shake their heads no, when Michelle simply smiles and says, yes, and that is the button on her cold open. It's very, very, very cute, So let me continue. In the kitchen, where Jesse is singing as he makes peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, Danny walks over to Michelle with a roll of tape in his hand, giving her a handy hint. He says, if you put masking tape around your hand, sticky side out, it's useful for removing that unsightly lint from jacket or sweater.
Speaker 2: Did Danny Tanner invent the lint roller?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, this is pre lint roller. Is that pre Well, it's either a makeshift one or maybe he invented right. Wow, let's go with that. Danny Tanner invented the roller that would track. Yeah. So Danny is demonstrating the effectiveness of his lint roller on Michelle's sweater, and Jesse chimes in there's something every toddler needs to know.
Speaker 2: Danny again leaning into his like OCD, we're seeing he's more and more fastidious about everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very very strong, this character trait. He's there. The writer's definitely leaned into this for season two. Yeah, so DJ announces she made a list of the food that she needs to get for Kimmy's surprise birthday party. She rattles off grape soda, orange soda, caramel, corn, cherry, licorice, and ice cream. Joey asks, why stop? Why shop just put out a bowl of white sugar pretty much? Yeah, that's all that Sandy made. Yeah, exactly, it's just straight pixie sticks. Yep. The phone rings, and Danny answers it, telling the person on the other line that he'll be right there. He tries to hang up, but he's unable to let go of the phone because the sticky tape is still on his hand from his handy tip demonstration.
Speaker 2: See that's where he came up with the lint roller. He was like, you need a separate device to put the sticky on, because if you put it on your hand, you're gonna get stuck to things.
Speaker 1: You're gonna get stuck to the phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where it came from.
Speaker 1: This is the orange. It all makes sense now, so he tries to pull himself together. Bob is so funny in this where he's like knocking over the desk lamp but everything, it's just he does such a good job with this bit. But once he pulls himself together, he tells Jesse and Joey that that was his boss on the phone and he needs him down at the station right away. He excitedly mentions that his boss said he has some good news, but then he corrects himself, realizing he actually said big news. Then he worriedly tells them, well, that could be bad news. Danny starts to spiral, questioning why why didn't he say? Why didn't I ask him? He throws his arms up in the air and tells them I'll worry on the way, and he rushes out the door.
Speaker 2: That was a very Bob moment.
Speaker 1: Such a Bob moment, just erotic, worried about things that you don't need to worry about, right, and not letting anyone get away.
Speaker 2: Not letting anyone right, and then just leaving and you're like, I'm still worried.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Such that was definitely an art imitates life moment. Yes, Joey says aloud, why does he make himself so crazy? And Jesse admits he doesn't know, but he points out that on the plus side, there's no lint.
Speaker 2: On the phone, very very delinted. That a fabulous blue phone that matches the curtains.
Speaker 1: That's so great that it matches the same queue of blue as the curtains. That's such detail.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: So Stephanie walks in, and you're wearing this very cool Scottie dog sweater, which, uh.
Speaker 2: I am It was my mom's first dog actually was a Scotty dog, which she was like twenty years old, and it ate all of her shoes. Oh, but yeah, they're very cute on a sweater.
Speaker 1: And is this the same sweater you're wearing in your intro in the You're opening credit. I feel like it's the same or a similar sweater. I don't know, it might be, might be yeah, in repeating maybe yeah, maybe this was the weekend they shot those title credits and they're like, air right, just go go open the front door with a backpack. Probably, yeah, But Stephanie's carrying two pretty poofy dresses. In her hand, and she asks DJ, which one of these dresses will I look cuter in at your party. DJ breaks it to her that she wouldn't like this party. It's going to be a bunch of six graders. So steph holds up the dress on her left, saying, in that case, I'll wear this one. It makes me look older. Yes, DJ responds, let me say this as nice as I can. You're in first grade and all the kids at this party are in the sixth grade, and she holds up one and six fingers to represent this numerical difference. Stephanie shoots right back, holding up her fingers to match. DJs. What if I bring five other first graders? Yes, the math makes sense.
Speaker 2: It's the math is math. The math is math.
Speaker 1: That's very creative for a first grader to come up with that. I laughed, yeah, But DJ rolls her eyes and she calls Uncle Jesse over to give back up. As de calls out to Uncle Joey to have him help them. Because the girls are arguing, they start yelling at each other. Jesse and Joey pull them away and bringing them to their neutral corners so that they can work it out and understand this dispute. This remind this is like a callback to the oat boat episode.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say it's the very sisterly thing, and I've watched it go down at my house, like, oh my god, you can't. But there was an argument last night between my kids because uh Be commented on Zoe's friends post.
Speaker 1: Oh no, you can't do that.
Speaker 2: I was like, you can't do that.
Speaker 1: You can't control what other people are.
Speaker 2: Very Yeah, this is just the test of siblings. Oh man, don't talk to my friends. Don't look at them, you be around them.
Speaker 1: You're doing all the wrong things at all the wrong times. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, And Stuff's like, I just need to look cute and it's gonna be fine.
Speaker 1: Right. Why wouldn't she be invited to this party? So DJ goes first, and she tells the uncles, well, she thinks she's coming to my party, and Steph nods and admits I do think that. Indeed, Joey suggests Stephanie, well, why don't we have our own super duper party upstairs. Doesn't that sound like fun? Steph cringes and asks, does that sound like fun to you? Stuff's got Joey's number, like, she.
Speaker 2: Yes, she's like, no, this is don't don't lie to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, don't even. DJ thanks Jesse and Joey for their help, and suddenly Kimmy barges in, asking DJ if she's ready for school. Jesse scolds her, asking how can you just barge into people's houses? Don't you ever knock? Kimmy tells him, well, I looked in the window. Nobody was in their underwear, She continues, when you're in your underwear, I knock, and Jesse walks away as he says, we need to get a guard dog.
Speaker 2: Is this the first time that we've watched Kimmy just barge in?
Speaker 1: I feel like it is. This is the first.
Speaker 2: I feel like bargas Kimmy has already been in the house and usually been leaving.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is her first. This is the first.
Speaker 2: Framers multiple of like just into the house and being like, hi, I live here too.
Speaker 1: Bargin in, and that the sound of the kitchen door closing behind me, like it just brings them that slam yep is so yeah, it's just ingrained in my memory. I have a Pavlopian response whenever I hear that. So DJ walks up to Kimmy, telling her happy birthday and reminding her we're going to the movies tonight, so come get me at exactly seven o'clock. Stephanie hears this and asks movies, Well, what happened to Kimmy's surprise party? Oh, Stephanie. Kimmy's eyes get really wide and she asks a surprise party for me? All right. Steph realizes her mistake and says, ooops, way to go. Didn't you do this last season too? You're giving away surprises like, no, I mean to tell you anything.
Speaker 2: Steph was uh when Danny came home and she was like, but you guys actually did this and they were like, no, we did it, and she's like, yeah, actually you did yeap.
Speaker 1: Oh, Stephanie, you're such such the quintessential sister.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So DJ looks at stephan tells her she's dead meat, but Kimmy assures her that she'll act surprised. She then asks, hey, can I invite my two friends from karate class, Nina and Melissa. DJ tells her, hey, it's your surprise party. You can invite whoever you want. Stephanie chimes in, I'm free tonight, invite me. You're so desperate to come to this party, like she just never stops trying.
Speaker 2: What a friend man, Yeah, Steph never Yeah, she's always looking for people.
Speaker 1: I admire your persistence in this entire episode. So the girls leave without it giving her an answer, and Steph yells after them, you don't have to answer that now, think it over and Kimmy slams the door without answering, and Steph says, how rude. Yeah, so it's more of a rude Oh yeah, yeah, it was a very yeah, a different, little slight change of the intonation and the drawing out of the rude. Rude. Yeah, this is definitely a full fledged catchphrase at this point. This is stuck that they tried out some other ones, like nobody asked me, but I think this.
Speaker 2: Is whatbody asked me. Did not? Did not? Stick pin of rose on your nose? Came in when every once in a while, how.
Speaker 1: Rude was the the catchphrase. So we cut to the news station and it is Becky's first appearance on the show, Becky Becky is being given a tour around the set of Wake Up San Francisco as her boss, mister Strobridge, asks do you like it? She exclaims, like it? I love it? I could live here. Then she adds all this place needs is a sink, a toaster of it, and maybe a wall right about there, and she points to where the fourth wall would go. She tells her boss that she can't wait to meet her co host. Mister Strobridge assures her that Danny Tanner should be here any second, and then we see a man quickly run past the screen. That was so fast like Bob.
Speaker 2: Out Right, we had long legs.
Speaker 1: He was very, very true. So the boss confirms that was him. Don't worry, he'll be back, and Danny walks back into the set, scoots past Becky, saying excuse me, and immediately tells mister Strobridge that he can't wait to hear the big news. He confirms with mister Strobridge that it is big good news, isn't it, and his boss assures him that yes, it is very good news. Mister Strobridge tells Danny tonight will be your last sportscast. Danny's shocked, assuming that he's getting fired, as he responds. As he responds, it's interesting how one man's good is another man's bad. Mister Strobridge tries to explain, but Danny cuts him off, pleading what did I do. I'm always on time, the ratings are up. I never step on the weather man's jokes. Who are you going to get to replace me? He's panicked.
Speaker 2: This is Bob right, but just are off the deep end and you're like, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, hold on, yeah, and.
Speaker 1: He will stop panicking or talking right, So mister Strobridge tries calming him, and he introduces Becky as the newest member of the Channel eight family. Becky stands up, shaking Danny's hand and admitting it's wonderful to meet him. Danny potely politely agrees, and then turns around to his boss and asks, you're gonna hire her. Danny turns back to Becky and pleads, well, before you accept this job, can you just take a look at my three little girls here? And he flips open his wallet and shows her the pictures of them. As he continues, you can't see their feet, but boy do they go through shoes. Becky is very uncomfortable. She just kind of uncomfortably laughs.
Speaker 2: I mean, right, what are you supposed to say to me?
Speaker 1: Like her?
Speaker 2: Right? You're like, sir, I don't you've insulted me. You're showing me pictures of your kids.
Speaker 1: I don't know, talking about their feet right right? Yeah, So she just says like, oh, cute kids and tries to move on. Mister stro Strobridge butts in, telling Danny you're not being fired. You and Rebecca will be co hosting Wake Up San Francisco. Danny is shocked, asking really, His boss reassures him, and Danny yells, I'm the new host of Wake Up San Francisco. Becky taps him on the shoulder and reminds him co host. Danny tells her I can live with that.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine getting a surprise job like.
Speaker 1: That, Yeah, especially a new job.
Speaker 2: Someone's like to come in and we're like, we've given you a new job.
Speaker 1: Didn't even ask him what he thought about?
Speaker 2: Asked there were no negotiations, There are no what's Danny getting pay? Is he getting paid the same to host wake Up San Francisco's He wants to do the sportscast.
Speaker 1: This is a completely different time of day. He probably has to get at five am.
Speaker 2: Now rule changed. This feels like a lot to just spring on a person.
Speaker 1: This is true. I didn't think about that.
Speaker 2: Why Danny's a little upset.
Speaker 1: He's allowed to be a little unhinged here, because this is quite the surprise coming from the boss.
Speaker 2: I love if someone was just like, hey, guess what you just what I haven't you? You're giving me a job, right? Yeah? Oh so sitcoms Yeah.
Speaker 1: So. Danny thanks his boss and gives him a hug. Then he gives Becky a hug, telling her, oh, you'll get used to this. I hug everybody.
Speaker 2: Something that would not fly today.
Speaker 1: Keep your hands to yourself.
Speaker 2: Keep yeah, just can you imagine hugging someone at your work and going You'll get used to this.
Speaker 1: I hug everybody like, no, you don't, please not me? No. Uh so Becky laughs and tells him she likes people who hug. Mister Strowbridge excitedly tells them this is just what I was hoping for. Chemistry. That's what's gonna take us from number three to number one. He pats both hosts on the shoulder and knowingly says, San Francisco is gonna love the two of you. He tells them that they'll be starting Monday, and Danny once again panics.
Speaker 2: Good reason, he's tired. He's got three kids, there's school.
Speaker 1: There's yes, you know, this is a care there's no time, no time to adjust to this massive change in his life. But Becky assures him that's the best way to do it, just jump right in there and have fun. But Danny is baffled by what Becky is saying. He tells her it's gonna take hours and hours of relentless rehearsal to make it look like we're having fun. Becky says, well, unless we actually are having fun. Danny is questioning this. He says, Rebecca, no offense, but have you ever hosted a talk show before?
Speaker 2: She I loved this response.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, yes, Becky. Becky shoots back, as a matter of fact, I have I am Omaha for two years. Mm hmm. Take that, Danny. She asks if Danny has ever hosted a talk show before, and he pauses and then responds, that's kind of personal.
Speaker 2: I love that moment because so, you know, like for the eighties, it was a moment like she was like, actually, yes.
Speaker 1: I have, have you And it was like, I gus, oh, he wasn't expecting the question to come back to him. It's so funny, great, and I agree they do have great chemistry as co hosts. At this point, on I was gonna say.
Speaker 2: On a side note, though, I have to say, can we talk about the fact that Laurie has an.
Speaker 1: Aged no, like she's in thirty six years, she has not.
Speaker 2: She probably wear those same pants.
Speaker 1: I'm sure she can't. She has the same Becky with the great hair like she yeah, like she's always been just stunningly beautiful and timeless and uh yeah, she's just fantastic.
Speaker 2: I was like, like, she came on screen and I was like, you're the same person. Yeah, she looks great.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you this was Jesse. Jesse lucked out. She came into their lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in more ways than one.
Speaker 1: Because she blows all the others out of the water completely. She's a clear winner.
Speaker 2: I mean, seacrews to Becky, come on.
Speaker 1: Come on, come on, not even a competition, right, Yeah. So in the living room, DJ announces to a group of sixth graders that it's party time.
Speaker 2: And DJ, did you recognize some of the sixth graders?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yeah, well that was my everywhere you look moment. But we can talk about her now. No, no, no, we can talk about it now. Did you recognize any of that?
Speaker 2: I did because one of them was my friend.
Speaker 1: Oh, oh which one?
Speaker 2: Oh you probably the one who was wearing the side pony that I walk by and I go love your hair and she's like, oh, yeah, that is my friend Tory Clive, who I met when I was three years old and they have been family friends of ours.
Speaker 1: Still are to this day. But Tory was she was a little bit older.
Speaker 2: We met at my dance studio, but she was kind of closer to Candas's age. She was like like a sister to me sort of in real life. But Tory was always coming and doing background stuff for you for like DJ and Kimmy sets because she was.
Speaker 1: She was our age six. Get Yeah, I didn't even I didn't even notice her in the background.
Speaker 2: Yes. And g Raconus's daughter, our wardrobe lady's daughter, she was seen too, Christina, Yeah wow.
Speaker 1: And Candas's cousin Megan or Megan is the blonde that's sitting on the coffee table like in the foreground. Yeah, So was there anyone in this background that was not related?
Speaker 2: There were other people there too that I was like, they look familiar? Were they friends of mine from a dance studio too? Like it might like it might have been some other people I knew it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just a little benefit of being on a hit TV sitcom is you get to invite your friends and cousins and daughters to be in the in the show. Yes, So Michelle walks into the room. She's holding a bowl of pretzels that is almost as big as her Uh. DJ walks over, reminding Michelle that she's supposed to be in the kitchen. But Michelle drops the bowl and the pretzels go flying everywhere, which I felt really bad. It seemed organic like this seemed like she really dropped it. Like it wasn't scripted. I don't know, didn't know it feel like it was scripted. Okay, she just did it so naturally. It didn't look like somebody was prompting her to drop it. So I was very impressed with.
Speaker 2: Well, toddler's are one thing that they're really great at is dropping things and being sure that yeah on the ground like don't and you're just like okay, yeah. So I have a feeling it was just tapped right into her natural abilities.
Speaker 1: Hey, you don't need acting classes to learn how to drops.
Speaker 2: So for a toddler to say no and drop his food on the floor, no, it's.
Speaker 1: They were writing to her abilities for sure, yes, So she leans down to pick up her mess, but DJ assures her that DJ will clean it up. Jesse walks into the room to retrieve Michelle, and he starts to carry Michelle out of the room when he notices it's awfully quiet in here. He asks DJ what's going on? It's supposed to be a party, and DJ whispers, they think you're cute. The camera pans to the sixth grade girls, all given Jesse a small smile and a wave. Jesse waves back and makes the comment where were they when I was twelve?
Speaker 2: I just wrote down ew stop stop the lean ye born? Yeah exactly, stop just stop now get.
Speaker 1: Out of there, Yes exactly, not born.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 1: So Jesse leaves and DJ promises the girls that that was the last interruption. The doorbell rings and DJ tells everyone to get ready because that's Kimmy. This should be your first clue that it's not Kimmy, because Kimmy doesn't ring the doorbell, she just walks.
Speaker 2: Right in everywhere.
Speaker 1: I thought that was a dead giveaway, but that's okay.
Speaker 2: Well, but remember, Kimmy knows about the surprise party, so she's gonna ask and DJ knows. She knows, so she's probably gonna be like, oh, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: So this is kind of planned out, maybe in advance. But DJ opens the door and the whole whole group yells surprise as Stephanie walks in, wearing with gloves her one of those poofy dresses. Oh yeah, matching gloves, your little purse, your little patent shoes, like you are dressed for a very fancy party. You were like, you ready, you could go to church or you could go to.
Speaker 2: Her a garden party.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it did look like you were just missing like a fascinator's older.
Speaker 2: But by older, we meant like seventy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she so Stephanie announces for me, you shouldn't have. She is so funny, just leaning into this, so hard selling it.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: The DJ glares at her and asks Stephanie, what are you doing here? Stephanie's excuse is that she just went out to check the mail in your fanciest dress.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Stephanie walks in, sees the pretzels on the floor, and goes to pick them up, saying, don't mind if I do. DJ grabs her arm and yanks her away, saying, I mind if you do. She yells at Stephanie to go upstairs, and Steph responds, oh, dear me, I almost forgot. I do have a super duper party waiting for me upstairs.
Speaker 2: Apparently I turned into Angela Lansbury or something.
Speaker 1: Like, you're so committed to this character.
Speaker 2: I oh god, I mean I was a kid like here act ridiculous. Oh yes, thank you, it was great.
Speaker 1: I was. You're partially British at this point, like, it's just hystic.
Speaker 2: I mean my British accent was as good then as it was when I came back and did it in Florence.
Speaker 1: Yes, you didn't really improve in those thirty six or thirty whatever years, but that's okay. Yeah. As Stephanie makes her way upstairs, she passes each girl, complimenting a few of them and adding, we must do this again sometime. You're just ready for your afternoon tea with the Queen. Yeah. Well, while everyone is distracted by Stephanie, they didn't realize that the door was left open, and Kimmy walks in yelling surprise to everyone, and everyone groans, realizing that the surprise was ruined.
Speaker 2: Wow, Steph blew it twice.
Speaker 1: I know, Steph you're just wow. DJ's you can just see that she's fighting me.
Speaker 2: See i'd be pissed him. I'm sorry, I get it.
Speaker 1: Yep. Kimmy keeps overacting, telling everyone a surprise party for me. What a surprise. Jimmy introduces her two karate friends to DJ, referring to them as the two friends you said I could invite Nina and Melissa there in junior high, and the sixth graders immediately ooh at this, like this is very impressive to be hanging out with junior high girls. Oh my goodness. Nina and Melissa walk in, telling DJ, we wouldn't miss a party for our new pal Cammy. DJ defensively tells them her name's Kimmy. Kimmy turns to DJ, telling her they wear lipstick, they can call me whatever they want. Kimmy reminded me of this happened in Just One of the Guys with Kirk Cameron cousin Steve Right, who also called me Cammy, and DJ tried to correct him and she's like, no, yeah, I'm Cammy.
Speaker 2: Was your own brother call you Cammy in that letter too? Didn't we have this discussion that he wrote the letter? And he wrote Cammy, Yeah, or are you actually Cammy and you don't know that?
Speaker 1: INSI that's an interesting twist. Her real name is Cammy Gibbler. Cammy just forgot that's yeah.
Speaker 2: In true Kimmy form, she finds out in her somewhere in her late forties that actually her name is Cammy and her her parents forgot to tell her and she never paid attention.
Speaker 1: That should have been an episode of Fuller where yeah, Kimmy finds her birth certificate.
Speaker 2: And it's Cammy.
Speaker 1: So Nina tells the girls that this party is dead. Then she is wrong. She's kind of not. Yeah, they're just sitting around getting Then the surprises are getting like the kids.
Speaker 2: Do now where they just sit around on their cell phones and stare at a screen. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So then Nina asks DJ if her dad is home. DJ responds no, and Melissa exclaims, good that is. This is a great party house, and DJ smiles and thanks them, but Nina adds, much better than the house we trashed last weekend.
Speaker 2: Dabe for junior high school.
Speaker 1: I thought that was a little young junior high kids trash home. I thought that was more of a high school aged saying, not junior high.
Speaker 2: Maybe I mean, it's the eighties, so again they had that you know, do you know where your kids are at ten pm? Things? So maybe seventh graders were out like having raging house parties.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Okay, maybe that was the thing back in.
Speaker 2: It's just the yeah whatever, let him go.
Speaker 1: Why fine coming when the street light comes on and otherwise you're fine. Parents don't care where you are. So DJ and Gimmy look at each other, wide eyed and nervous, and Melissa and Nina find the phone to call greg Andy and the Duke.
Speaker 2: J Duke sounds suspiciously old to be hanging out with middle schoolers. It's anyone that goes by the Duke. I'm like, unless you're yeah, unless you're part of the royal British family. Like that feels to me like someone who's like gotten held back a few years and is definitely like, not a great influence.
Speaker 1: It's somebody who definitely trash a house. Yeah, unless she was.
Speaker 2: Talking about John Wayne, in which case, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's an entirely different interpretation went by the Duke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't think that was it either.
Speaker 1: So DJ quickly walks over to them, saying, Hey, before you call any Dukes, do you mind telling me what you're doing. Nina tells her not to worry. In an hour, they'll have fifty or sixty kids there. Melissa's on the phone with Duke when she asks what DJ's address is. DJ swoops in and takes the phone from her, telling Duke this is a crank call and hangs up immediately. Melissa looks at DJ and says, what a dweeb. DJ snaps back, telling them this party isn't for you and your friends. It's a party for Kimmy and her friends Cammy. So Cammy walks over to DJ in embarrassment, telling her DJ, you're messing everything up, Cammy. It reiterates the importance of them being in junior high, and DJ finally asks her, who cares? Which is so true? Like really the bigger picture here, Kimmy, Like it doesn't matter that they're in junior high.
Speaker 2: H I know, I actually kind of felt bad for I was like, Kimmy, stop, like she's Kimmy's usually so like into like who she is and being independent and kind of whatever.
Speaker 1: And I was like, no, Kimmy, No, Kimmy is very you need highly influenced by bad influences. She just wants to be part of the cool kids. You're right, this is a departure from her character later.
Speaker 2: On, but I mean un all fairness. The one girl is wearing a dream of an acid denim Oh yeah, acid washed denim outfit with a jacket and a it was made. I'm pretty sure that was like in commercials for that that board game, like Mall Madness yeah, or like yeah yeah, and that was it, so, you know, I get it. Kimmy was like, I want to be like them.
Speaker 1: I want to be them. Yes, I think this is common. A lot of kids go through this, just wanting to be a part of the cool crowd until they see the light and realize, you know what, cool crowd isn't always that cool.
Speaker 2: They're usually not.
Speaker 1: They're usually not. Uh So, Nina announces this is the land of the lame. Come on, Kimmy, let's get out of here. Kimmy starts to follow the older girls out, and DJ calls after her, you can't leave your own birthday party, and Kimmy is torn. She looks towards Nina Melissa, and then she looks back at DJ, and finally she just says emphatically, you can't tell me what to do. DJ explains that she's not telling her what to do, she's just saying, don't act dumb. Kimmy gets very defensive and she says, oh, well, now I'm dumb. Melissa tells her if she's she is if she stays here, and Nina encourages Kimmy, saying the mall is open until nine o'clock. So Kimmy agrees with the girls, telling them let's do it, and leaves the surprise party. We fade out on an embarrassed and sad DJ and go to a sad commercial break like that, I'm sorry, this is a dick move. I will own it like this is Kimmy is so rude and so mean to DJ who threw her this party. Yeah really yeah right, talk about her appreciative. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jimmy's going through it.
Speaker 1: She's going through it. But if there's no excuse to treat your best friend like this like it's.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely not, absolutely not.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 2: She's she's very selfish, yes, very impressionable, Yeah, and really wanting to be cool and yeah, it was it was a shame, It was a it was a poor choice, but definitely a portrait you were in sixth grade also, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess as an eleven or twelve year old whatever we were at this time. That's it's a common thing to yeh, have to be face a decision like this and then you make the wrong one. But that's okay, Yeah, that's that's the right of passage, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: So we returned from the said commercial break in DJ and Stephanie's room, where Stephanie has lined up her stuffed animals in rows, telling them there will be no talking in class. Steph continues playing teacher, calling out, mister Bear. This is it, This is it, dear. The heavens have opened up, and here is mister Bear.
Speaker 2: Mister Bear is here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. What took so long for mister Bear to appear?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know why, why it took so long to feature him, But you know he's here now, and that's here now.
Speaker 1: Yes. Did you have any idea at this moment that mister Bear would become such an iconic part of Stephanie's story or was this just like a rund think so?
Speaker 2: No, I think it was just a random thing that we found and then we I think they just thought he was, like, you know, kind of funny and cute because he's dressed as Humphrey Bogart from Casablanca. That they were like, it's just sort of silly that, you know, steph has this bear in a trench coat. Yeah, yeah, and yeah, and it just stuck.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad mister Bear has finally joined the full House universe here.
Speaker 2: So yeah, like we got we got mister Bear and Becky in the same episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a huge episode, like a huge episode, it really is. This is setting the tone for the rest of the series, basically. Yeah. So Stephanie tells mister Bear, if it's so funny, why don't you share it with everybody, clearly copying something her teacher has said.
Speaker 2: Never had a teacher tell me that before in my life. No talking in class.
Speaker 1: Never. Oh sure, sure, Jodie. So the stuffed animals are just staring blankly back at Stephanie. When DJ comes huffing into the room and Steph asks if she wants to play school, DJ plops on her bed and sighs, saying she wants to quit school. Stephanie asks is because you ate lunch by yourself today, DJ corrects her, I wasn't eating by myself. I was eating alone. There's a big difference. Steph turns to her stuffed animal students, asking them any questions class. Mister Bear seemingly asks the question, which Stephanie lated. Oh, he's an a student in my opinion, really is Mister Behar wants to know why all the kids in school were calling DJ a geek burger. DJ stands up and grabs mister Bear, saying he's going to the principal's office, and she throws him in the toy chest. And then Steph corrects her, that's the cafeteria, because God forbid you throw the bear in the wrong room, pretend room. So Stephanie continues, I told them you weren't a geek burger, then they called me a geek burger junior. How rude. This is a double how rude episode. Wow, this is ya. I'm telling you, just an incredible episode all around two how rudes.
Speaker 2: And Becky a mister Bear himmy yeah, in a fabulous checkered outfit.
Speaker 1: I mean so much, there's so much happening, So DJ tells her it's all Kimmy's fault. She hates my guts because I wouldn't let her stupid friends take over the party and wreck my house. Now she's turned the whole school against me.
Speaker 2: Damn Jimmy, that's cold.
Speaker 1: She's so coold. Kimmy is so awful in this episode, so awful. Steph sits down next to DJ, trying to comfort her by saying, don't feel bad. I know you're not a geek burger. Oh. Steph pushes her arm and thanks her, adding and I know you're not a geek burger junior. Steph pushes her right back, thanking her as well. Steph gets up and says, well, until this blows over, I think I'll change my name to Connie Chung. Is Stefanie watching Connie Chung at the age of six?
Speaker 2: Yes, I know who she was. She was a news anchor. It's just such a you know does I think there were several references made to her. I mean she was like it was like Connie Chung, Barbara Walters, like they were sort of Diane Sawyer. Yeah, he's like there were three female news anchors or new you know, that was about it, but.
Speaker 1: They were legendary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally Yeah, Connie Chung, no one whatever, no.
Speaker 1: Love that Stephanie is a fan of Connie Chung. That just makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: I mean, she's thinking smart. She's like, how is nobody ever going to look for me? And that not nobody would look for her.
Speaker 1: She's right. So next we cut to the living room where Danny is cleaning the TV with the whole family gathered around it. Joey tells me in his anxiety clean anxiety clean, Yes, taking out all this really xety.
Speaker 2: This is a case study in some sort of like OCD anxiety, like how traumas affect Yeah, anyway, we'll get you.
Speaker 1: Notice he's always anxious right when he before or during clean.
Speaker 2: Right before he's doing something, and it's getting worse, and it's you know, it's okay, that's very clean now though I can it's much better than it did in the beginning.
Speaker 1: This is true, and I understand because I tend to clean too when I'm angry or need to get some aggression out. So it's a very effective technique. But Joey tells him to stop windex scene they're dying to watch his first show. Stephanie reminds him not to play the tape until Uncle Jesse gets there. Oh, Danny knew he forgot something the tape. Becky interjects, saying she brought it, and Danny admires the two of them, saying, what a team I forget? And you remember this is that's the motto of our team, right, that's the tags, right, what a team I forget?
Speaker 2: You remember?
Speaker 1: So Becky walks over to her purse, which is by the front door, to grab the tape, and in walks Jesse. He sees Becky and immediately says, have mercy. He shakes her hand and Becky assumes it's Jesse. Danny's told her about him. Jesse smiles and asks, well, what did he say, and Becky reiterates he said he had a brother in law name Jesse, and she walks away.
Speaker 2: So Betty just put from the very beginning, she's just.
Speaker 1: Like, no, yep, and this is what Jesse needs somebody, because she's like bringing him back down, bring him back down to her reality.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So Jesse's offended, telling Danny, well, thanks for the build up, pal, and Jesse continues the conversation with Becky asking oh, well you must be Rebecca, and she tells him, no, please call me Becky. Jesse responds, Becky, I like that, Becky, Becky, Becky. He tells her he was gonna go get something to drink and asks if she'd likes something. She asks what they've got, and he asks what she likes and she responds, whatever you have. It's such a weird, like you they're flirting in front of the whole family. It's weird flirting.
Speaker 2: It's just I don't even I don't even know that she's flirting, though, I think she like the way I took it is that he's flirting, and she's just like, what do you have?
Speaker 1: Like, just tell me, do you have your wine? Right?
Speaker 2: Water? Juice? I don't know, Like that's kind of how I felt about it.
Speaker 1: Yes, she's like get to the point. From the beginning, she's just like no, she's very matter of fact.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And Jesse's trying to drag this out and make this a singing and it's yeah, she's not she's not responding. So Jesse decides that they should go get drinks together, and they exit to the kitchen and they already have so much chemistry, like just from this like two minute interaction, I'm like, wow, Yeah, the chemistry is just popping off the screen. There's just two very attractive people and they're already, you know, getting along great. I love watching these early interactions between.
Speaker 2: I know we come icon that Jesse Becky meet you.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's so great. So Danny looks over at dj asking if everything's okay, and she tells him yeah, she's fine. She can't wait to watch the show. She's not very convincing, but that's okay. We cut to the kitchen where Jesse is grabbing some drinks out of the fridge. He asks Jesse if she's found an apartment yet. She says she's found plenty. The problem is they all have people living inside. Jesse laughs as he pours their drinks, telling her I find a sense of humor very attractive in a woman. Becky tells him this is gonna sound weird, but he reminds her of someone. Jesse slyly goes to close the kitchen door as he asks who's that. Becky laughs and tells him it's silly. You don't want to hear it, and Jesse assures her to go ahead. People tell him all the time. Then he breaks out in his Elvis's voice saying, come on, pretty mamma, lay it on me. Becky laughs and admits, you remind me of Kirky. Jesse's confused. Quirky Becky tells him that's her little baby brother and he used to do that same cute Elvis voice. Jesse uncomfortably asks I remind you of your little baby brother, and Becky's like, yeah, it's uncanny. She tells Jesse Quirky and I would go up to Sutter's pond to catch frogs, and he would always say, come on, a little froggy mamma, as she tries out a cute Elvi's voice too. She did great impression too. Very impressed with her, Jesse says Elvis never said that, and Becky laughs and tossles his hair as she walks away, saying you really are cute, and Jesse says, allowed, we are so far from where I want to be, like he's already been friends zone.
Speaker 2: Great. I loved this. I love it, and I forgot that this was sort of the dynamic in the beginning that Becky was kind of like a yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: She puts him in the brother's zone, not even the friend zone, but the brother zone me and my brother. Yeah, I've been waiting for this is so satisfying. I've been waiting for this. After Jesse has dated everyone in the greater San Francisco area.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he also though something to think about Rebecca. Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: It continues.
Speaker 2: She goes by Becky, Yeah, Becky, yeah, but Rebecca.
Speaker 1: Rebecca Yep, it's the trend has continued, but she shortens it to Becky so, yeah, you're right technically, Rebecca. Goodness. So back in the living room, everyone is gathered around as Danny reminds them that this is their first show, so they were a little nervous. The family urges him to just play it, so he does, and the tape starts. Danny starts off the show with an awkward ad lib. Danny pauses the tape, telling the family he thought that joke was pretty good. Everyone politely agrees, and Joey urges, yeah, that was a great twelve seconds. Is there more? Danny resumes the recording, and this time Rebecca ad libs a joke that the whole family actually laughs at. Danny doesn't like this. Danny pauses the tape and comments, you didn't laugh at my joke?
Speaker 2: This again? Was such a Bob moment. I was like, yeah, moment, Wait, but didn't you think I was funny?
Speaker 1: Why didn't you laugh at my joke? He's just so jealous that people are laughing at his joke.
Speaker 2: I wrote down such a Bob thing. You didn't laugh at my joke? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Stephanie assures him we were laughing inside.
Speaker 2: And I have also said that to mob heard him, yeah yeah, or said something he was like, waited for a joke. I remember one time he waited till everybody was quiet and then he just said something and it didn't get last. And I'm so glad we waited for.
Speaker 1: That or Bob, he was so sensitive, so SENSI ve we do. So Danny asks if he should rewind the tape so that they can hear his joke again, and the whole family is like, no, we don't want to see it again. Joey finally just snatches the remote and plays the tape, but not long after, cartoons suddenly appear on the TV.
Speaker 2: Was it Wildcats? I believe?
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't know. Paying attention, we find out that Michelle is holding the remote and Danny tells her, hey, you just turned off Daddy's new show. In response, Michelle sticks out her tongue at him, and before Danny is able to switch the channel back, steph and Joey voice their desire to keep the cartoons on for a while. Hey, you know, I don't blame him. They had to watch their cartoons. So up in DJ and Stephanie's room, the famous red Lips phone rings. God, I love that thing and uh, for whatever reason, Jesse is there and he answers it. He calls down to DJ, it's for her. Jesse tells her it's Kimmy, and DJ grabs the phone and immediately hangs up. Jesse and Joey walk over to her as she's sitting on her bed with mister Bear. They ask her if something's wrong, and she responds, oh, I told that kid a million times to keep her junk off my bed, and she throws mister Bear onto Stephanie's.
Speaker 2: Bed, tossing of mister Bear.
Speaker 1: Oh right, She's like, no, you got mister Bear's sacred handle with the hair. They ask her if she's pretty bummed, and she denies it while twirling a piece of her hair. Jesse points out how she always twirls her hair like that when she's bummed and so GJ finally admits, well, you'd be bummed too if Kimmy got the whole school saying you're a geek burger. Joey points out that she could have been calling to apologize, and DJ tells them, well, she can dial till her fingers fall off. I'm never talking to that little trader again. Kimmy deserves this though, you know, like this, Kimmy was not nice this episode. Jesse assures her that she can't mean that Kimmy is her best friend, and DJ corrects him X best friend. She gets up and sits on Stephanie's bed. Jesse forces joe to go over to her, and he tells DJ, I know you're upset with Kimmy, but that doesn't mean you throw the whole friendship out the window. DJ responds, ex friendship out the X window, and she moves over to the little table. And I love how the director's using blocking in this scene to kind of he uses DJ's agitation to kind of move her from space to space to avoid the guys and their questions.
Speaker 2: Well, you know it's sitcommy, You're always like sitcom, like the pacing you have to be crossing and moving and otherwise it's just a dead shot. And yeah, this but this, this episode we talked about, like had just much different pacing a little bit slower and like moments breathed a little bit more. It didn't feel like it was, you know, quite as a sit commie right at the pace, you know what I mean. It felt like it breathed a little bit more. I love it.
Speaker 1: I thought it was great almost. I almost wonder if this director was like a single cam director.
Speaker 2: That's what it felt like. It felt like he was maybe a soap opera director or a single cam but like that more.
Speaker 1: Just the closer ups, the different angles. I like it. I'm here for it. Yeah. So Jesse and Joey fight over who should go talk to her next, and Joey is forced to. He tells her she's so upset because the people that hurt you the most are the people that you love the most, which is brilliant insight from Joey.
Speaker 2: Yes, the people that can hurt you.
Speaker 1: The people that can hurt you the most are the people that you love the most. Yes, that's right, It's it's so true. Joey walks over to Jesse, using the two of them as an example. Jesse glares at him, asking is that the best example? But Jesse's kidding. Joey's right, and he has a story to prove that. Jesse tells DJ just like last week, Joey taped over my favorite Elvis video with Peewee's Playhouse, and then he does some voices that I'm not going to try to replicate, but he continues. The point is Joey made a mistake, but I forgave him. Erasing a friendship is a lot worse than erasing a tape. DJ walks over to the phone and tells them, well, I still think she's a nerd bomber.
Speaker 2: Joey talks, he's creative insults.
Speaker 1: I love it, Yeah, nerd bomber, geek nerd bomber, Yeah yeah, Geekberger Junior a Geekburger cheese is coming up. I love it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Joey talks to DJ next, asking if she remembers her beat up, old flat soccer ball that he accidentally threw away. DJ remembers it's the ball she scored her first goal with. She was so mad at him, but she isn't anymore, and Joey explains, if you hadn't forgiven me, we would have missed out on all the good times we've had between then and now and all the good times we're gonna have. DJ understands they're trying to get her to give Kimmy another chance. Joey tells her part of having a best friend is being a best friend. Let the hurt go away, not Kimmy. Like these such great sound bites in this scene, I think, too, Yeah, this really rings true. I just am amazed at these two uncles that didn't know how to diaper a baby a season ago are just given this great advice.
Speaker 2: Now, this was such a great scene. It was like so.
Speaker 1: Real, very real, and it definitely gave DJ a lot of things to think about. So Stephanie yells up. Steph is off screen, but she yells up to DJ, telling her Kimmy giblers downstairs. DJ tells Joey that okay, she'll go talk to her. Once DJ leaves, Jesse stutters trying to commend Joey on his advice. He tells him I'm touched. That was really beautiful. Joey pat's him on the shoulder, saying, I think we really helped the kid out. Huh, Ozzie and Jesse agrees, we sure did. Harriet.
Speaker 2: By the way, for those of you who are like, who's Ozzy and I don't remember Ozzy Osbourne being with anyone named Harriet, No, it's yeah. Ozzy and Harriet were a like nineteen fifties sitcom about like this great little family.
Speaker 1: Life whatever, old school, old school.
Speaker 2: Style, nothing to do with Ozzy Osbourne.
Speaker 1: Right, thank goodness. We cut to the living room where Kimmy is waiting for DJ, and this is one of those cool shots that you mentioned.
Speaker 2: Yes, were we're like, Kimmy's sitting here and she's in the foreground like and then DJ's kind of soft focused in the back. And it was a very single cam type of shot. Yeah, it was great.
Speaker 1: I liked it, and it kind of highlighted my hair, which I loved, which was in like this banana clib.
Speaker 2: It looked so cute. Iaho so great the checkers the like bigger ones on top of the small yeahs oh fashion forward, Kimmy.
Speaker 1: I felt great in this episode.
Speaker 2: Loved my hair, and you did a fantastic performance.
Speaker 1: Oh well, we're let's we'll get to that because I don't I don't necessarily agree. So DJ and Kimmy coldly say hi to one another, and DJ encourages her to go ahead and apologize. Kimmy questions apologize. DJ assumed that that's the reason why she came here, but DJ says, no, she's there because her mom told her to go over and get her presence. Ooh oh my, what a burn wow. Like she just keeps getting ruder and rude. You know what, I can see missus Gibbler giving this advice to her daughter. Yes, it doesn't matter that her her daughter's been a total dick. Just go over there and get your presence. Yeah, so DJ asks, but if you don't apologize, how can I forgive you? Kimmy asks forgive me for what getting kicked out of my own party. DJ argues, I didn't kick you out, you left. Kimmy shoots back, because you embarrassed me in front of Nina and Melissa. DJ finally asks, what's wrong with you? I can't believe you'd rather be friends with girls who really aren't your friends than friends with a friend who already was your friend. Kimmy tells her, I don't know what you just said, but same to you. Geek berger, DJ says, don't call me that, Kimmy gobbler. Kimmy calls her a double geek burger with cheese, which is the ultimate insult ultimate in nineteen eighty eight, and DJ tells her she hates her. Kimmy says she hates DJ two and tells her to mail me my presence. So this like, I can believe they use the H word that they actually said I hate you to the other person. This is getting very ugly, very fast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but also very very typical sixth grade girl best friend.
Speaker 1: Yes, yep, everything is of uber importance and they fight.
Speaker 2: And it's the worst thing ever, and it's all right.
Speaker 1: Yep, so dramatic, so so much drama. So Kimmy starts to storm out, but before she makes it to the front door, DJ tells her to wait. And there's definitely like a tonal shift here, also marked by the beginning of the violins. DJ asks, how could you call me all those names? In school? Tells her I wasn't the only one everyone was calling you, well, you know the G word. DJ reminds her, you're supposed to be my friend, and Kimmy corrects her best friend DJ smiles and agrees. Best friend DJ goes on to ask, well, if we don't make up, how are we going to share lockers and junior high. Kimmy adds on, we won't get to go to college together, and DJ says we won't be able to marry identical twins and be Congress women. Kimmy nods, we got to make up or our lives will be ruined. They should have brought this back in Fuller House. We weren't Congress. We weren't, you know, marrying identical twins. So we really got off track there in Fuller House. Yeah, Kimmy tells her she really is sorry. She admits I'm sorry I brought those dumb junior high girls to the party. I'm sorry I left with them. I'm sorry they dumped me when they met those two cute guys at the mall. And I'm really sorry I told everybody you're a geek burger. I'm the geek burger. DJ smiles and tells her, don't say that about my best friend. The girl's hug the audience OWZ, Yes, such a great this is such a great moment, and DJ reminds her that she never opened her birthday present. DJ runs and grabs a big rainbow box with purple bows and hands it to Kimmy, telling her happy birthday. Kimmy opens it and pulls out a purple hat, saying this is like only the ratdest hat in the entire universe.
Speaker 2: It's got sequence on it, got blazing purple.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is a lot. Kimmy loves it. Kimmy is so here for it.
Speaker 2: It's all eighties, yeah, time.
Speaker 1: All eighties. So Kimmy puts it on and DJ comments, well it should be. It costs a fortune, which I guess if DJ's spending her own money from her own allowance. Yes, that costs a fortune. Kimmy asks, well, what do you want to do now? DJ suggests they open up all of her birthday presents and then go to the mall and exchange them. Argues, but I might like them, and DJ a sure, hurt, No, you won't believe me. I already opened them, and they continue opening presents and that is our show. Oh my goodness. This last scene was so hard for me to watch though, because I could see, oh my gosh, I could see how hard I was concentrating and I don't and I could feel my stress, And I don't know if I was stressed about remembering my lines or trying to hit these emotional beats that were all you know, Kimmy doesn't usually get emotional beats. It's all like what Zinger after Zinger after Zinger and so but I could see myself concentrating so hard. And I don't know if I loved my pacne whish I had done it differently. I mean, here we are thirty six years later critiquing this, but yeah, I felt like this was early on in my journey as a serious actor, and so.
Speaker 2: See, I thought it actually was great. Really, I thought, yeah, I thought you actually did a really good job of them.
Speaker 1: Well thanks. I maybe I'm being over critical of myself, but I definitely was cringing as I was watching it.
Speaker 2: No, I was not at all. I actually I wrote down, like, such a great scene. I thought you guys did a really good job together. And I thought like it was a you know, a real journey of Kimmy being like upset and this and that and then you know the apology, and you just really saw a lot of their relationship in it. So I thought you did great.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I do I do think that Candice and I had great chemistry and believable that we had been best friends for a long time. It was believable that they were both hurt for different reasons. I am wondering, though, did you think do you think DJ forgave Kimmy a little too quickly? Like shouldn't Kimy? You have had to work a little bit.
Speaker 2: I was like, like the part where she's like, basically Kimmy was calling her the name too, She's like, well, everybody was doing it. Then suddenly she's like, yeah, but I'm your best friend. I was like, Kimmy, yeah, I were just you had to earn it a little bit more.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: We also were getting to the end of the show and we had to wrap it up.
Speaker 1: We were at twenty two minutes and we need to wrap.
Speaker 2: We don't have sign for this anymore. Yeah, but yeah, no I did. It felt a little bit quick, but all you know, that's usually the resolution in a sitcom. Yeah, like, wait, wow, that was a that was quick. That was quick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. But I think by the end, DJ and Kimmy's friendship was ultimately strengthened by this yes fight, you know, and this is not the last time we fight over Kimmy's birthday part Like, there's more birthday parties to come.
Speaker 2: More birthdays, but it's always a birthday.
Speaker 1: It's always a birthday, always a birthday. And I don't even know Kimmy's birth date, Like people have asked me before and I'm like, I don't know what. I've never actually known what, well any of the characters birthdays?
Speaker 2: Okay, this this episode aired when in October, in October of October twenty First.
Speaker 1: Let me go back up. Yeah that sounds right, was it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say Kimmy is maybe born. I could, I could see Kimmy is inn October October.
Speaker 1: Baby. I don't know what sign that is, but uh yeah, okay, maybe September, maybe September. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is Kimmy a virgo? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't think she's organized enough to be a virgo.
Speaker 2: It's true she's well, but she's party planning. How many birthday parties did you pull together in the backyard in ten minutes?
Speaker 1: You're right, the ten minute I could do.
Speaker 2: Nobody could do.
Speaker 1: Finding a cow, a full cow for the kitchen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Kimmy, Yeah, she's killing it.
Speaker 1: So maybe she has a virgo. Okay, I'll try.
Speaker 2: That, but yeah, when is Kimmy's birthday?
Speaker 1: Is?
Speaker 2: What is all of our birthday?
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 2: I'm sure somebody out there knows if you know when any of the Full House characters not us in real life obviously, but when, like if there's ever a mention of specific birthdays of the characters, like whether it's a month or an actual day or anything. We'd love to know because I don't know if there I don't remember.
Speaker 1: If there was, yeah, I don't know, or not part of the cannon of Full House, but yeah, I have no idea there is.
Speaker 2: If it is, we'd love to hear. And if not, we'd love to hear. What you think and what what sign do you think that all of the characters are there?
Speaker 1: We go dive right there.
Speaker 2: Yes, and let us not make sure you guys, and we have.
Speaker 1: Everywhere you looks we gotta do everywhere you look? Do you have if you have some, if you don't have them, I've got a couple.
Speaker 2: I do actually, and my one everywhere you look. It was a bit of a personal moment, but it was also something so my everywhere you look is in the very beg I think the beginning scene, Michelle is sitting in her high chair and she has a Rainbow Bright oh in front of her.
Speaker 1: I did see that. That's so cool.
Speaker 2: I was a huge Rainbow Bright fan as a kid, had Rainbow Bright birthday parties like it was. I loved Rainbow Bright. And usually on shows like you have to pay licensing fees and whatever all that kind of stuff. So I have a feeling that was like whatever little snack cup maybe that Ashley and Mary Kate had, and they just like said it on the thing and didn't switch it over into something else because they're like whatever, it's a little plastic, not like in a bad way, like they just were like, that's just Michelle's thing, because it's something you don't often see the usually up the Yeah, it's usually creaked or something.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So but anyway, Rainbow Bright was in there and I was thrilled. I was like, oh my god, Rainbow Bright. But that was my that was my everywhere you look, Oh, I like that along with friends in the in the in the party scene.
Speaker 1: That's so great. I'm gonna go back and watch that party scene just to see everybody else that I missed. It's so funny.
Speaker 2: Did you have an everywhere you look? I do.
Speaker 1: I have a couple. One is in DJ's room. Did you notice all the horses, Like there's horse figurines suddenly, Yes, it's exploded horse figurines, horse posters, like horse decorations on the wall. Yes, and we have an episode coming up.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, well, it's because there's an episode coming up where DJ's into horses. So probably when they were planning out the season of episodes, they were like, oh, we need to make her into a horse girl a little bit sooner, and we made her into a Stacey Q fan, right, we need to put the horses with this one, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, Hey, that's very forward thinking. They were thinking several episodes in advance, which is which is exactly groundbreaking for them. That's so funny. And the only other one it's sort of an everywhere you look. But when Kimmy is opening her present from DJ, the lovely purple hat, right, the gift is prop wrapped. You know, they wrap gifts differently on TV than you do in real life. So you wrap the top of the of the box, right, you separate from the bottom of the box right right, so the actor can open it easier and for the paper and yeah, yeah, So it cracks me up every time I see this in TV or movies when an actor right, because it's so much effort to actually wrap a box that way, when you wrap.
Speaker 2: The lid and perfectly tuck it and tape it and then you do the bottom part and then it's like the thing you take it up. Yeah, yeah, way too much effort. But no, no, for TV. I am a gift bag kind of gal.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you that's what we need was gift bags back then.
Speaker 2: Gift bags. Yeah, well, I mean she spent so much money on that hat, she obviously had to really put some effort into wrapping it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. Got to present it as a You can't feel that hat.
Speaker 2: You can't just throw it in a bag. It's purple, it's sequined.
Speaker 1: It's all about the presentation of the purple sequence, is true. That's all I got for every Happy Birthday, Kimmy, thank you whenever it is, thank you, whatever it is, whatever your birthday is, Happy birthday, Kimmy Gibler or shall I say Cammy Cammy Gibber, canmy gobblin?
Speaker 2: But we are so glad that you guys tuned in with us this week and next episode we are going to be looking at season two, episode three. It's not my job, said that many times before, but that'll be so much fun to have you there next week. And in the meantime, if you guys want to follow us on Instagram, you can follow us at how Rude Podcast. You can also send us an email at how Rude podcast at gmail dot com. Uh make sure you're liking and subscribing wherever you're listening to the podcast so that you can get branded so it's right when they come out. And uh, yeah, we love having you guys here again for another week. And remember everyone, the world is small, but the house is full.
Speaker 1: Wow. Wow, like this is I'm not disappointing, You're getting it right.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I get over confident and then go wait and then yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, so maybe next time. Maybe next time you'll screw it up.
Speaker 2: There's always tomorrow.