Speaker 1: Microsoft makes some big announcements in New York and Google unveil some new privacy features. You should know about what's going on. I'm Rich Dmiro. This is Rich on Tech, the podcast where I talk about this stuff I think you should know about happening in the tech world. And it's also where I answer the questions that you send me. And on this show, we'll do things a little differently. Since I'm streaming live on Facebook, I will attempt to take some of your questions live on the show. So Producer Megan, in case you haven't noticed, she is not with me today. She is vacationing somewhere in the world, I believe somewhere tropical. So I'm very jealous of her today. But I am handling the show solo, and I've got lots of good questions for you, and also lots of updates from this new Microsoft event. I was just in New York City for a Microsoft Surface event. I personally don't necessarily use a surface. I use a MacBook Pro. But a lot of people love the Surface devices, and I see why. It's kind of the best of both worlds. You've got a tablet, you've got a sort of a laptop at the same time, and it's everything you need all in one. And for me personally, I do a lot of video editing, so I use a MacBook Pro and it's tough for me to switch to a Windows device. I know plenty of creators that do that, but for me, I'm just so used to my Final Cut Pro I can't leave it. And I love my computer. You guys know if you follow me, that I just paid about five hundred dollars to replace the hard drive.
Speaker 2: In my laptop.
Speaker 1: Five hundred and fifty dollars, I think to be exact who But the cool thing about these new Microsoft devices is that they are going to allow you to replace the hard drive yourself in both the laptops and the tablet. So let me just quickly run down what Microsoft announced at their event. They announced five new products, Surface Laptop three, Surface Pro seven, Surface pro X, Surface earbuds. Those are all going to be available by the end of the year. Then there's two new devices, the Surface Neo and the Surface Duo. Let me go through these quickly so that you understand what's happening with the Surface. So Surface Laptop three. I do have a lot of experience with that device. Surface Laptop three is the newest and latest and greatest. It now comes in a bigger size, so you can get in a thirteen inch or a fifteen inch. It's also twice as fast. And if you had if I had to pick a Windows laptop, this would be it. It is a beautiful laptop. The styling is impeccable, it is it's it's just amazing. So if I had to choose a Windows laptop, this would definitely be it. In fact, I might be tempted by the fifteen inch laptop. I've been editing with this new program called Adobe Rush, and I can do ninety nine percent of what I need to do for TV on that program that runs perfectly on this Surface Laptop three, So that could tempt me to come over. This is the fastest, according to Microsoft, fastest lightest fifteen inch laptop you can buy. They really went to great lengths to explain how comfortable the typing experience is, and I tried the keyboard out on it and it was very comfortable. I cannot stand the keyboard on my MacBook Pro. It is terrible, terrible, terrible. Maybe the new ones are better. Mine's a year old two years old. They also have a larger track pad on it, and for the first time, you get both USB A and C. USB C is the popular connector these days now that's available on the surface laptop, so you really get everything you need. This is a pretty good device. It also has fast charging, which means it's gonna charge nice and fast, just like your smartphone, up to eighty percent in about an hour. The thirteen inch starts at nine ninety nine and the fifteen inch starts at eleven ninety nine. I always recommend going for the next level up, so if you're going for that eleven ninety nine. They make those prices sound super sexy for people that just want to get something, but in reality, if you go a little bit higher, you're already going like almost the whole disc. And it's just go a little bit more and pay a little bit more and you're gonna get a lot more for that money. Surface Pro seven. Let's see, not much to tell you about the Surface Pro seven, except again they added USBC and it's now twice as fast. Now the Surface pro x not the Surface Pro ten. Everyone seems to be loving that X naming convention this year. Surface pro X is their thinnest, lightest, most powerful surface Pro ever, and it's also connected.
Speaker 3: It's got LTE built in, which is really cool. I love that idea.
Speaker 1: And taking a page from the Apple playbook, Microsoft created their own chip with Qualcom called the SQ one, which means this is gonna have some advantages because they made this chip specifically for this device. It's also very thin. They say it gives you a thirteen inch screen and a twelve inch device.
Speaker 2: And one of the cool.
Speaker 1: New features they have the storage for the pen right in the keyboard case. So if you get the keyboard case and the pen, which by the way, adds a whole bunch of money to this ice, you can store the slim pen right in the keyboard case, which is really cool. I love this fact that you can do that because it just means that the pen is always there, it doesn't get lost, and it also charges the pen, which is really cool. The Surface Pro seven starts at seven forty nine. The Surface pro x starts at nine to ninety nine. Now let's talk about the surface earbuds. I tried these on and they look super weird. They look like big giant discs in your ear.
Speaker 2: But I will tell you.
Speaker 1: They were very comfortable, very lightweight, and there's also some tap things you can do on them where you can swipe to move the song to the next song and all this different stuff. I didn't have much luck with that. I also couldn't hear them very well because it was super loud in there. But I do think these are promising. I would place them somewhere between the Galaxy buds.
Speaker 2: And the AirPods.
Speaker 1: They might actually be better than the Galaxy buds as staying in your ears. Those are going to be expensive though. Two hundred and forty nine dollars. That's a lot for earbuds considering the kind of the best on the market right now. The AirPods are one sixty, so this is almost a full hundred dollars more expensive than those. All right, now, let's talk about the two fun things that Microsoft announced, the Surface Neo and the Surface Duo. This is just it's crazy for a company to show us something that's not coming out for a whole other year. And by the way, we saw this with Apple. Do you remember something called the air Power. They showed off that charger at one of their events, and guess what, it never saw the light of day. Let's hope that doesn't happen with these two devices. Surface Neo is a dual screen device built for productivity on Windows ten X. This is their new dual screen operating system. It's got a three hundred and sixty degree hinge with two.
Speaker 2: Nine inch screens.
Speaker 1: So this is not a foldable display, but it's a display that sort of folds in half. It's a dual display, so two nine inch screens give you a thirteen inch display total. It's really thin and you can also connect all the other stuff. Think of it as a surface, but both of the screens the up in the bottom are both screens, so you can do a lot with that. Then the Surface Duo is a surface that fits in your pocket. So this is a lot smaller. Yes, it makes phone calls. Yes, it runs some sort of version of Android along with Windows apps. And are you know Windows Desktop apps not? There's no Windows Mobile going on here. They're not bringing that back.
Speaker 2: They were.
Speaker 1: They understand what's going on in the mobile landscape. It's Android versus iOS.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: They're not trying to change that. But these are two five point six inch screens that unfold to eight point three inches and they showed me. They wouldn't let me touch this thing, but they had it like by ropes. But they did give me a demo of it not on. The screens were not on, but you know how you can fold it, unfold it the size of the screens.
Speaker 2: It looks cool.
Speaker 1: Do I think this is the future right now? I don't think right now, but I think that they're onto something and it does seem like these foldable displays will be part of our future when it comes to computing. While you're calling in, let's get a question from my Facebook page, Facebook dot com slash rich on tech. This is from Laurel hey Rich. Thanks for all the info, tips and fun stuff you've shared with us on KTLA. Just being sure that upgrading to iOS thirteen point one is okay?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Are all the bugs ironed out? I have the ten ten are no, the bugs are not ironed out. I am still having so many issues with iOS thirteen even though we're on thirteen point one point two. So my advice, Laurel is to just hang tight unless you need it. Unless you need that dark mode, you probably don't want to upgrade just yet. I've never seen more issues with this with an upgrade I have, but it's unfortunate, but they keep ironing things out, so just I would hold off as long as humanly possible. Right now, Carolyn rode into my website richontech dot TV. She said, consumer cellular grand Pad tablets, because this is non Internet service what technical port links the connection for face to face conversation, and I had to look up what this is exactly. So the grand Pad is a tablet that is aimed towards senior citizens and it looks like a simple Android tablet that has you know, looks like calls, email, photos, and camera for video conferencing, plus a little stand. And I generally don't like things like this because it, you know, you're basically putting faith in this platform, this consumer.
Speaker 2: Cellular, which is pretty big.
Speaker 1: They're actually very popular, so that's fine, but you're putting faith in this platform that is not proven, so I'm a little hesitant with that.
Speaker 2: And then the thing is.
Speaker 1: Two hundred dollars today with eas say so it's like ten dollars plus forty dollars a month for a service plan. So the simple answer to question Carolyn is that there is a service plan. So there is cellular built into this device, and that's how it's doing things. But I imagine it's also using Wi Fi, so it connects your Wi Fi network, it connects to cellular when it doesn't have Wi Fi, and that's how you're doing those things. I would probably recommend if you have a senior and you want to get them something to video chat, I would probably look into something like the Amazon Echo Show, the Google Nest Hub Max that has the camera on it. So I would look into one of those because I think that those are a better platform, and also the person on the other end can use just like Skype or Google Duo to make a call. Three two three, you're on with Rich. Who am I speaking with?
Speaker 2: Hi?
Speaker 3: Mark? Where are you calling from?
Speaker 2: Mark and Monrovia? Welcome to the show?
Speaker 4: Well, thank you Rich. My question is not so much technical, but it's regarding text. What is your view on insurance on these devices that they provide from the carriers?
Speaker 2: Great question?
Speaker 1: So my okay, So I can tell you my opinion when it comes to my rational opinion and then my everyday person opinion. Right, So my rational self tells me, don't pay fifteen ten to fifteen dollars a month, put it in a savings account, and when something happens to your device, you know, maybe six months down the line, you've got anywhere from sixty to ninety dollars saved up and hopefully the repair is not that expensive. Now, the other side of me says, it's ten dollars a month and it gives you a lot of you know, it just gives you that security of knowing that if something happens to your device, it's not going to cost you a ton to get the screen repaired or whatever. So I think with the way Apple does it, you can do I think it's like ten dollars a month now. They're doing it monthly, by the way, so you can do it forever or as long as they let you. I'm not sure how long that is. But instead of paying the two years up front, you can pay you know, ten bucks a month or fifteen dollars a month if you want the loss protection and the theft protection. So I personally don't buy the protection plans I have in the past, and when I have bought them, I usually get Square Trade because it's a little bit cheaper and you can still get it repaired pretty easily. I think for ninety nine percent of people. The easiest thing to do is get it through your carrier or through Apple, because then you just bring the phone back to what where's closest to you. So I think that's easy, but it also is a very expensive way to protect your device. But then again, insurance is expensive. It gives you peace of mind. And when you're looking at ten dollars a month, I always call it, did you buy a beer this month? So if you bought a beer for you know, five six bucks, you've already spent that much money. And how long did that last you?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: And this is you can if you don't drink beer, you can put that on anything. You know, maybe you went to a movie one night. It's cost seventeen dollars that gave you two hours of entertainment. So it's it's one of these things that I think comes down to a personal decision. But I think in the long term we probably ruin our phones less than we think. If you're very accident prone, you know, you may want it, but if you're not. I mean, I test a lot of phones. I've I've broken exactly three in the ten years that I've been testing phones, So that kind of gives you an idea of and I a lot of times I'll keep the case on fifty percent of the time because I want to see what a phone is like with and without the case.
Speaker 4: Now not my follow up was you carrier, which it's not important us, but they only provides one type of others out there through these types of bud devices.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think the most popular is uh, square Trade squ ar So square Trade is a good one. And then I think the other one is is really Apple Care. That's the other popular one. You can go directly. You can actually do it now through your phone if you buy a new iPhone. I notice there's now a new option inside the settings to add Apple Care to your phone right from the phone. So if you go into Settings General, it says like and actually I talk about this in my book because you can now see the warranty time period two in your phone. But it basically lets you add Apple Care right from your phone. It tells you how many days you have left to do that, because there's a certain window of time that you have when you get a new device to add the insurance. So I would look into that, and I would compare a couple of In fact, It's funny you asked this question because I have a story idea for KTLA where I'm going to compare some of these different insurance companies. But in general, if you're going with a third party like Square Trade, it's going to be cheaper. Apple Care is right in the middle, and I feel like the carriers are just a little bit more expensive. But you have to remember there are usually deductibles no matter what, so even if.
Speaker 4: You pay regardless of the dam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so that's that's different.
Speaker 1: Now with Apple I do believe it's only twenty nine dollars if you crack your screen if you have Apple Care for the first two incidents. So the way I always look at these insurance plans, I add up for you know, how long I think I'm gonna keep the phone, Let's say two years. I add up the monthly fee plus what it would cost to actually do one fix, which in the case of a screen, would be thirty dollars. So if you look at ten dollars a month times two years, that's two forty plus thirty dollars, that is is two seventy. So you're looking at two hundred and seventy dollars for the first time you need a screen replacement, that's kind of what you're looking at. But you get two years of security with your phone. So it's a good question. It's one that you know, I think is a very personal decision for people. A lot of people just feel better having the insurance on their phone. All right, Thanks Mark, thanks for calling in. Appreciate it. Good good question. I struggle with that myself. But in general, I think that if you can save the money and you're good in, you know, being diligent about putting that money away, it's never gonna catch up, probably will never catch up to how much you need when you know when you need that repair, but at least you'll have half of it saved away, and then it's like not as bad now. I was kind of telling Mark the story. But I have replaced, or I have now repaired this laptop twice, and so I call this my three thousand dollars laptop, even though it started out as a two thousand dollars laptop. Because the first repair was my kid through a a toy at my screen and it cracked the screen, and that was I think a five hundred dollars repair. And then the second time my hard drive failed and that was a five hundred and fifty dollars repair. So now I'm holding on to this computer as long as humanly possible because it has cost me so much more than it should have cost me. But great question, and uh Courtney. On the live stream, Courtney Rogers says, your story idea for KTLA was from me, So thank you, Courtney, and I will I will do my research and actually come up with a story for KTLA because I do think that people need to know about that stuff. Question from James' guest, He says iOS thirteen point one point two for iPad is requiring a passcode? How do I avoid a passcode? Well, James, you know, as a tech guy, I can never ever ever recommend that you don't put a passcode on your device. You should always have a passcode. The reason why is because you got to protect your device. Let's say someone finds this device, it is now totally it's worthless to you because they're going to be able to easily take it over. If you don't have a passcode on there, your personal information is at risk. If you don't have a passcode, you just always need a passcode. I know it's a pain and it's tough. You got to type it in. They want you to do six digits. There are two things now you're asking about thirteen point one point two. I don't know this to be sure that they're requiring a passcode, but in the past I can speak to how the iPhones are generally set up, and in the past it says please put in your passcode.
Speaker 2: But if you look way at.
Speaker 1: The bottom, it says you can have an option for new options, and the options are if you want to do a four digit passcode or bypass the passcode altogether.
Speaker 2: So it is small print.
Speaker 1: It's at the bottom of that screen, and they make it so that you don't really see it, kind of blends into the background, so you don't choose that option. But the reality is they want that option on there. They don't want you to choose that option, and I don't think you should. I think you should have a passcode on your iPad. There's no reason why you shouldn't. And yes, it takes a little bit longer, but it's.
Speaker 2: Totally worth it, believe me.
Speaker 1: All Right, while we're waiting for another call, let me tell you about some new Google privacy features. So they have introduced at least four new ways to protect and control your privacy on Google and the first is incognito mode on Maps, and this is on Android. In fact, this was on my Android for a while. I guess I was in the test case. I didn't know that I was one of the testers of this. But if you go into your Maps and if you tap your little head in the upper right hand corner, there is now a new option that says incognito mode, and you press that, and now it stops tracking you. So any restaurants you search for, any directions you go to or navigate to, it's not going to keep that in your Google history. So if you want to try that out, just go into Google Maps on Android right now. At the top, you'll see a little search bar. To the right of that search bar is your face or your profile picture. Tap and then it says incognito mode. You tap that, and now it's gonna stop tracking you and it will not be saved and used to personalize your Maps experience. So let's say you're researching a restaurant that you don't want anyone else to know about because it's you don't want it to affect your recommendations from Google. You can tap that incognito mode. It's coming to iOS soon, they say, auto delete is coming to YouTube. This is something that's expanding on location history and web and app activity. This is something that you've been able to delete on Google for a couple of months now, maybe six months ago. So now you can extend this to YouTube. So if you go into your YouTube settings, there is now an option to auto delete your YouTube history. And what that means is you can delete all the stuff that you watch, all the stuff that you search for, all the stuff that you view, and you can decide to keep that stuff for three months, eighteen months, or until you delete it. So that's a new option, is well, and uh, that's a pretty good option, I guess. I mean, if you don't want a record of all the stuff that you're watching on YouTube, you can just auto delete after three months. Now, this is really interesting. If you have one of these Google Home devices, there is a new way to control your data right from the Google Assistance. You can now ask Google. You can say, hey, you know who, delete the last thing I said to you? And then hey, you know who delete everything I said to you last week. I think this is really cool, and this is something that we've been asking for as tech folks, because it just makes sense that you would be able to ask Google just as easily as you ask Google a question, ask Google to delete what you just ask Google. Now, I personally think that this is the most incriminating thing in the world. If you ask Google a question, then you say, hey, Google, oh sorry, I just said the words. But if you say that and then you say, hey, can you delete what I just asked you? I mean, come on, if I was the authority, that's the first thing I'd want to know, Hey, did this person ask to delete anything on Google? But maybe it's truly deleted forever.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I would assume there's some sort of record on the Google servers that you asked to delete your stuff, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: I can't be sure on that one.
Speaker 1: So if you asked to delete more than a week's worth of data from your account, the assistant will tell you how to do that in your settings. And this is rolling out next week, So that's next week, and then all other languages next month, so you can't do this just yet. And rolling out means that it doesn't happen overnight. It means that it will take a while. And I've got a question on Facebook from Connie. She says, is the YouTube history auto delete only on Android? Will that be on iOS? I believe it's on both. It doesn't say I would think that's on both. I tried it on my Android, I believe, and it was there already, so that one was already there. And then the other thing they do is they have a security checkup which will automatically detect potential security issues with their Google account. Okay, let's see. Yeah, that's okay, security checkup. I feel like that's good to do. And what they're saying is that if you have logged into a bunch of Google devices over the years, you can now easily you can now easily get rid of those old devices by doing this security checkup. And then they have a password checkup as well, which is going to help you figure out if your passwords are reused or compromised. The problem is to use that feature, you have to use Google's password manager. And it's fine if you only use Google products to use Google's password manager, but personally I would use a third party password manager like last pass or dash Lane. Those are probably two of my favorite. If you're all Apple, you can use the one that's built into Apple. But the problem with using all these things that are built in is that now you're locked into their ecosystem, and if you want to switch from Google to Apple, Apple to Google, it makes things a lot more complicated. So when possible, and this is in general, I always try to use a third party app. Like for my notes, I use Evernotes, and it's just better than using the built in notes app on iOS and iPhone and Mac, because if I ever want to change things up, I have to export all my notes from Apple Notes into something else. So Ever, Note works across platforms, and it's the same reason why I use Apple Maps. It's the same reason why I Message really bugs me because it locks you into iPhone in.
Speaker 2: A very big way.
Speaker 1: In fact, I've actually been testing out Verizon Messages to see if I can use because Verizon Messages lets you see your messages on various phones, your texts. The problem is you can't use I Message, and I Messages is really really good. Hector writes in on my website, rich on tech dot TV, Hey, I'm wondering what the best photo and video editor other than the Photoshop is in either free download or purchase for a modest price to use here and there. So this is a great question because this is what I use all the time. I mean, I'm always editing. I don't edit my picture so much. Sometimes I'll pop a filter on them, but most of the time I am editing video on my computer and also my phone.
Speaker 2: So when it comes to.
Speaker 1: The best photo editor, I would say an app called pixel Mater is a really good one. It's very high powered, has a lot of features that I don't really understand, but it's a great program. I think I paid five five or six dollars for it pixel Mater Pro, and they do have it for iOS on your phone, so you can get that for your phone, and it's a you know, it does everything you need. It does all kinds of like photo editing, this and that.
Speaker 2: That's too much for me.
Speaker 1: I don't want to do all that kind of stuff, but I do something called snapseed, which is a lot easier. And Snapseed is just a program that lets you do very I mean, it's very powerful. It's owned by Google actually, but for me, it's just I love the filters on there, and I love kind of the different little things you can do on there, Like if you have a little you know, let's say you take a picture and you got some something stuck in your teeth, you can just kind of smudge that out with a very simple flick of the finger on your screen using that app. So snapseed is really great. If you're kind of sick of all the filters on Instagram, check that one out.
Speaker 2: The other one.
Speaker 1: People like is Visco Vsco. That's another photo editing app. I personally don't use it, but a lot of people like to use it. It's also a sharing platform. You can do that. And you did say video editor, So I'll give you a couple of recommendations for video editors. I really like a video editor called Adobe Premiere or Adobe Rush. Is it Premiere Rush or is it just Rush? Yeah, Adobe Premiere Rush. Now that's ten dollars a month, but it is the best mobile video editor for both iOS and Android.
Speaker 2: Check that out. If you're on are you on an iPhone? I can't tell, So.
Speaker 1: If you're on an iPhone, iMovie's pretty good. But I person like the other one much better, So I would I would use the Adobe Rush and then the other. The other one I like is Infinite Stories. If you're just trying to do stuff for Instagram, check out Infinite Stories. That's a that's a pretty cool program as well. So Hector, thanks for the question nine five one? You are on with rich? Who am I speaking with?
Speaker 5: Speaking with?
Speaker 3: Robby Robbie?
Speaker 5: Oh bb Yeah, we be I E Hi?
Speaker 3: How are you doing?
Speaker 5: Pretty good, isn't you?
Speaker 2: I'm excellent? What's on your mind?
Speaker 5: Well? I was just wondering which phone is better, Sampson J seven or the iPhone.
Speaker 3: On seven class Samsung J seven.
Speaker 1: Let's see, I'm looking this up right now to see what the the Usually the J lines are kind of Samsung's entry level devices. They sell them at a lower cost. They don't they don't have all the high end features as their Galaxy s you know, S line or their Note line. And then the other one.
Speaker 5: I have both both phones right now and I'm just trying to figure out which one to go with. And I'm still I can.
Speaker 1: If I had to choose between these two phones, the iPhone seven or the Samsung J seven, I personally would go with the iPhone. And I'll tell you why, Number one, Uh, you get a better operating system on it, because it's going to be newer, more up to date. You get, you know, because you can run iOS thirteen on it, and you get better apps, and it's going to be faster, it's going to have a better camera, and basically everything about the iPhone is going to be better than this J seven. I'm looking at the uh.
Speaker 2: The screen.
Speaker 1: It's got a five point five inch super ammal ads. That's fine, it's unlocked. It's got expandable memory. So the only thing going for I think is the expandable memory. But otherwise, the you know, the rest of the specs are not going to be as good as the iPhone. It's it's decent, and I'm looking at the specs here. It's it's okay, but I don't think it's going to be as good and as long lasting as the iPhone. So that would be my recommendation. Let's see what kind of Android it's running. Do you know which version of Android it's running? It doesn't even say.
Speaker 5: No, I don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the thing about it just it doesn't even say what version of Android it's using, but it's Samsung is notorious for taking a really long time to upgrade the Android operating system on their devices. So you're going to be running an older version of Android versus the iPhone. You said it's a seven plus. Yeah, so you got a nice big screen. I think that's the way to go. I would I would definitely go with that phone.
Speaker 2: Is that is that help?
Speaker 5: Yes to go?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I've been watching on Channel five TV for a long time and I decided I'm going to give them more callumn see which one he would recommend.
Speaker 2: Well, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: And I you know, if you said, if you said the Note ten versus the iPhone eleven, I'd have to you know, I'd have some more debate there. But when it comes to these two phones, I think, in my mind, the iPhone seven plus is going to be a stronger contender for.
Speaker 2: For it's just everyday use.
Speaker 1: I think it's going to be just easier and better and you're going to get more for your for your money out of that phone than you are the J seven.
Speaker 3: So Robbie, good question, Thanks so much for calling.
Speaker 2: You appreciate it. Have a good day.
Speaker 3: You welcome five six two you're on with Rich?
Speaker 5: Hi?
Speaker 2: Who's this?
Speaker 6: I just stroud?
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 6: I had a question thanks for all your help with your tech and all makes new kids. I have an iMac two thousand and eight and I'm looking to upgrade it. But I was wondering, when I buy the new iMac, can I make this my old one a second screen? Is that something that is available?
Speaker 1: Prima M that's a good question. Now I know with the new let's see here macOS Catalina. So on mac Os, the new version of macOS Catalina, there actually is a provision for letting another device be a secondary screen. I know that it works with an iPad. I'm not sure if it works with another computer. And I'm not even sure that Catalina will run on a two thousand and eight iMac. So let me look at the compatibility here. Usually that is the bottom of the website. It'll tell you iMac.
Speaker 3: Let's see Ooh, okay, so.
Speaker 1: Catalina is not gonna run on your computer, which is an iMac twenty twelve and later. So if you're talking two thousand and eight, which is what you said, right, you're not gonna be able to run the operating system on there. Now, that does not mean that you can't use it as a secondary There are lots of programs out there that will turn a display into a secondary screen, So you need like usually a screen sharing program. Now I know there's one called Duet, which is for Mac, and I think the problem with Duet is that you might need it might again work with an iPad. So let's see turn your iOS or Android device into a high performance secondary display for your Mac and PC. So again that one is a Mac to a iPad. So a lot of them that I'm seeing are Mac to iPad. But let's see if we can find a program Mac secondary display. Have you done any searching to see if there's a program that you've been looking at.
Speaker 6: I was trying to, like YouTube it, but I didn't really find anything that allowed me to convert my whole monitor, full computer into a monitor second monitor.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it's looking it's looking like there might be a way to do it. It says that you might be able to use a cable to do it, and then there's you can use it as sort of an external monitor, so that might work.
Speaker 3: I think you'll be able to do this. It depends on you get to a cable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what I would do is look on the back of your device and I'm looking. Yeah, I mean I'm looking here, and it seems like you.
Speaker 2: Could probably do this.
Speaker 1: I think it really depends on your Mac. Let's see, so use an iMac as a display with target display mode, and it looks like you can do this.
Speaker 2: System requirements and.
Speaker 6: What happens, I'm sorry, what the two thousand and eight would have.
Speaker 2: Well, here's what I'm looking at.
Speaker 6: Upgrade. I just don't want to get I just don't want to talk the old iMac.
Speaker 4: I have.
Speaker 6: To use it at least for a second monitor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the other the the what I'm seeing on this website for the target mode is two thousand and nine and above. So I don't know if you're gonna be able to do You might be able to do it some software, but I quickly just looking don't see it. I think where there's a will, there's a way, and I bet there's a way to do it, and I think there's a way, but I just can't be sure without you know, doing some some pretty you know.
Speaker 2: Heavy research. But I agree.
Speaker 1: It's like, but here's the thing, I mean, you can you know, there's a lot of other ways you can repurpose this device.
Speaker 2: I mean, you can make it display pictures.
Speaker 1: You can use it as a home server, you know, if you want to back up all your stuff to it, which is kind of cool.
Speaker 2: You can do that.
Speaker 1: You can give it to a friend or you know, a family member, which is always what I usually do with my computers. So I think that there's a lot and I you know that unless you do you work from home at all?
Speaker 5: Yes, I do.
Speaker 1: Oh you do, okay, So it would be nice to have that secondary monitor.
Speaker 5: Huh yeah.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Well, I think I think you do a little bit of research. But it seems like the first thing you need to do is look at the back of your iMac and and see what kind of inputs and outputs you have, you know, so I think I think that's going to determine if you have I'm just kind of looking on Google images right now to see what's what's on the back, so.
Speaker 6: You know, it has like some USBs, it's I mean, it's really all as yeah, the new newer computers have.
Speaker 1: I think it just but it looks like it's got like a fire a FireWire mini DisplayPort. I think you're gonna be able to do it. I would I would do some searching and look online and see. But it looks like you can do it. The only thing is it may just be that if you're you may need an adapter and a cable. But you know, I'm looking at these things and it seems like it's not that far off. I just I'm a little bit concerned because the official Apple website says that it needs to be a two thousand and nine and above. So that's what concerns me is maybe they just don't have the support for the older ones. I'm gonna look up one more program. There's a program called Reflector that is a great program that I've used, and that might actually that is only it looks like it's only screen mirroring, and it doesn't look like, yeah, it looks like it's.
Speaker 2: Only mainly for screen mirroring.
Speaker 1: And but look at that. Look at that app as well from air Squirrels. It's called Reflector. So good question, thanks for calling it. Recommend start, I would recommend not going.
Speaker 2: Let's see there there.
Speaker 1: I think the iMac has like a the least expensive one, and I think that that's the one you don't want because I believe.
Speaker 2: That there's not a retina display.
Speaker 3: Let me check the uh specs on this thing.
Speaker 2: So yeah, let's see.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the cheapest one is one ninety nine dollars and it is not a retina display, so do not get that one. Just I know. The next one is twelve hundred and ninety nine dollars. This went kind of what I was saying earlier. Don't be fooled by the cheapest Apple product because a lot of times they get that price there just to get you in, and in reality, you spend the two hundred extra dollars and you're gonna get so much more for your money. So for twelve hundred dollars, for thirteen hundred versus eleven hundred, you're gonna get a retina display, which is a four K display, which is so much better than the display on the lesser computer. So that's the one I'd recommend, is a thirteen hundred dollars one. Now, if you're gonna keep this thing for a long time, you work from home, you make money using this computer, I would go for the best system that you can afford because these things will last a while. You've had your last one for ten years, eleven years now, So do the math, and I think that it could be.
Speaker 6: A good value sound good. Thank you so much for your help.
Speaker 1: All right, thanks for call and appreciate the call. You guys said me. A lot of questions, that is for sure. I get questions on Facebook, Facebook, dot Com, slash rich on tech, I get questions on my Instagram. You guys love to DM me, and yes, I don't check those every day, but I do right back usually once a week to those.
Speaker 2: So the thing is, if you need.
Speaker 1: Something answered, Email's probably the fastest, but you have to understand, I'm doing my job. I'm trying to you know, I'm trying to prioritize what needs to be answered. So if it's an easy answer, something that I can quickly write you back, you'll get an answer quickly. But if it's something I to do a little more research for and kind of investigate, it'll take a little bit longer. Let me tell you about my book while I have you here. I know it's backwards on the Facebook page, but this is it. The first copy of my book is in. It's called one hundred and one iPhone Tips and Tricks. It is updated for iOS thirteen, and it looks fantastic. It is so much better than the last book, looks wise the last book had great information. This one's a lot thinner because I I kind of condensed the tips, I made them simpler, I made them easier to follow, and I also was a little eco friendly when it came to the actual formatting inside, so chapters can start on left or right of the book. So I know it's something that it's not really something you'll notice, but it's something that I noticed when I created the book. So one hundred and one iPhone Tips and Tricks available right now on Amazon as a paperback. This is going to be the gift to get this holiday season, or to give, I should say. And if you want to read it yourself, you can read it for free on Amazon. I put it in the Kindle Unlimited program, which means you can read it totally for free. It's kind of like a loan. You do have to sign up for Kindle Unlimited, but the good news is they give you two months for free. So if you sign up for Kindle Unlimited, you read the book, it's not going to take you more than two months to read it. You just don't get to keep it at the end of that time, so it is kind of alone. If you want to buy the ebook. You can do that too. And I do get a lot of questions people ask if if they don't have a Kindle, how do they read it Kindle book. Well, you can download the Kindle app to any device. You can download it to the iPad, you can download it to Android, you can download it to your iPhone. But personally, my thing is read the Kindle version yourself and then gift the paperback to someone this holiday season. It's it's just a no brainer gift. I mean everyone, believe me, anyone you give this to is going to come back and say, oh gosh, I found at least five, ten, fifteen, twenty things inside that book that I just didn't know about the iPhone and believe me, I get the emails from you guys, I know that you're loving it, so thank you.
Speaker 2: I do appreciate it.
Speaker 1: It is updated for iOS thirteen, including all the new features as well. Thanks so much for listening to the podcast. If you are a first time listener here on Facebook or on the website or wherever, please subscribe to rich on Tech in your favorite podcasting app. And nowadays, it doesn't even have to be a podcasting app. It could be Pandora. It could be Spotify. It's really wherever you listen to audio, your songs, your music. Search rich on Tech and subscribe and you'll never miss an episode. I come out with a new episode every week. Thanks so much for listening. You can find me at richontech dot tv if you want to submit a question for the show. That's gonna do it for today. I have a fantastic weekend. I'll see you guys real soon. Bye bye.