Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Pass Podcast. The NFL Draft continued tonight for rounds two and three, and the Ravens made a pair of picks. In the second round. They took offensive tackle Roger Rosengarten out of Washington, and then they follow that up in the third round with outside linebacker Adissa Isaac out of Penn State. We had a chance to talk with both those prospects on zoom calls after they were picked, as well as hearing from head coach John Harbaugh and general manager Eric Tacosta as they recapped the second day. Let's kick things off with ADC and coach Harball.
Speaker 2: Well, guys, we're excited to have a pretty successful day today. I think with our two picks, Roger rosen Garden tackle that we've really been following since the Senior Bawl. We were fortunate as an underclassmen with the rule changes, he was able to be down there this year, and we watched him at length and followed him and saw him at the combine. We interviewed him at the combine. He was a player that we had kind of had our sites set on. Today he's one of our top players in the entire round. Today, and I think fortunate that we got him when we did. It was a trend. As you guys saw all those offensive linemen get picked after him. I think they were like ten or eleven guys in a span of like maybe twenty picks. So we were fortunate, almost like with the corners yesterday, we got out in front of that trend. So it's better to be at the front of those moves and at the end. And then when the DESA was My first school visit this year was the Penn State West Virginia game. I had a daughter there at Penn State. I scouted the Lisa. They had a lot of players on defense this year, and I love his body, love us frame, his upside. He's a very explosive player, very physical, can be used in a lot of different ways. He's got a great story.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Patrick McDonough, one of our scouts, did a phenomenal job scouting him. Uh. He was his Red Star player this year, which is kind of cool. And we just feel like he's a raven type of guy. Fits us in many different ways mentality and with his just physical style of play. So we're excited to get him.
Speaker 4: We talked to the Rose garden, he said, And your combined is that you told it didn't even go to the full length.
Speaker 5: And he said, you told him he checked all the boxes.
Speaker 6: What would lead you.
Speaker 7: To say that, Well, it might have been about the seventh or eighth interview in a row, back to back. They stacked it up by so we needed a break. But uh, he came in there and just we try to focus on football, you know, we we do. We do a lot of our scouts do a great job of uncovering all the other stuff and if something needs to be asked, Eric will do a great job asking question. But we try to get in there with football. And he was just so on point. He was on point. He knew his technique, he knew his assignments, he was very self aware of the things he needed to get better at, and just seemed like a motivated guy. He seemed like a raven Like both these two guys were just our kind of guys. So, you know, we didn't we needed a break and he checked all the boxes.
Speaker 8: H he seems to seem like he plays on the right side, right tackle. Uh, do you think there's a chance that he can come in and start ideally?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, absolutely, I mean, we draft him with that idea that he'll compete for that. You know, that's the idea. All these guys will be competing for playing time and opportunities to start and in his case, right, and you know, we're gonna we're gonna look at him everywhere. He's he's, he's he can he can play guard if we needed him to, and he can play left tackle if we need him to. We're just gonna let, you know, roll little offensive line out there and let him compete.
Speaker 9: How do you see Isaac's pass rushing skills translate to the NFL?
Speaker 10: Does need more development.
Speaker 2: Or can you come in to meet m F Well, I mean, I think heavy most of these guys need some some development when they get to this level as pass rushes. But what I like about him is he's got great length, which is a critical factor. Uh, he's got heavy hands. Uh, he's got some different moves. He's he's got speed and quickness, and I think he's tenacious. And so I think all of those things when you think about our best pass rushers, I think those are a lot of the traits that those guys have, and so we're very excited. I watched you know a lot offensive linemen this year in the Big Ten. Obviously we have a need at that position, and so I watched a lot of these guys, and Adize is a guy that kind of reatavoc in the Big Ten this year.
Speaker 11: You guys and Robbers at best player available team, you go into day three of.
Speaker 2: The draft, probably each had argument three?
Speaker 6: Is that just how the board fell?
Speaker 9: Was this particularly draft that is kind of conducive to being able to.
Speaker 6: Get that about done?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 2: I think, you know, so far, we've gotten pretty lucky. You know, we've I was you know, I talked about trading up yesterday, and you know, I was tempted at one point. I got scared today a little bit, but we just stayed patient and we were four. You know, I think when your need and best player kind of match up, then you really have something special. And I think that's happened a couple of times for us, and so it's it's good. You know. I think tomorrow we're in a position where we're just basically open highway and we can just sit back and just draft the best guys that we see on the board without any real thought to like position or how they're gonna fit. Roster wise, we're just gonna draft the best football players you.
Speaker 6: I think he's happened the ros and Garden pick.
Speaker 4: The TV cameras showed at least the m that showed you kind of had me a conversations that over possibly the trade up Offertunty not doing it.
Speaker 12: No.
Speaker 2: I think I asked them if I could have a glass of red wine in the draft.
Speaker 6: Room at that point.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I don't know we were happy. I don't know what we were talking about. I think we had there was a team that had called us about trading up to our spot, and we'd considered it. Uh and I don't want to, you know, really give away too much, but a team that was just behind us called us about trading up, and then they decided to not do it, and so we drafted Roger. And then they they did trade up right behind us and took a different tackle, and uh, you know, there's a theory that they were drafting Roger. So that's what we were talking about. I think just we got lucky that we didn't go back a few spots because we might have missed out on the guy that we wanted. You know, you think if you go back to spots. Pretty good chance to get your guy. But there was a there's a chance we might have been disappointed.
Speaker 6: On Roger a lot to talk about how great his mobility is.
Speaker 13: Where's the greatest area for him to grow is it?
Speaker 6: Is it power? You know, well, he's.
Speaker 2: Young, he's a young player. You guys will see him. I mean, he's just he's young. He's gonna get stronger. We'll get him in the weight room. He's a very gifted athlete. He's played some left tackle, he played left tackle at the Senior Bowl. Very good feet, body mechanics, exchange the direction, agility. He's just got to get physically stronger. There's a lot of guys, do you know, And so he will, Uh, he'll fill out and get stronger, have a great strength program and uh and he'll see quick results.
Speaker 3: I think, well it's a lot.
Speaker 5: Do you think how uh signific it was the was the mobility in the decision giving direction in the offense?
Speaker 2: I guess, uh yeah, I mean I think it's just you know, fast protection wise. You know, the guys that really kind of flourish at our level of the guys that have enough strength and the guys that can really move their feet and uh, and that's you know, it's that's great. I mean in our offense, you know, we do a lot of things out in space. Guys have to be able to pull. And you know our screen game was was good this year, and you know, we get these guys out there and we have fast players and a quarterback obviously is a tremendous athlete. So you know, you want guys that are mobile. We want big, strong guys, but we want these guys to be mobile too.
Speaker 5: Is there any consideration why either in the third round or is it just one of those situations.
Speaker 6: Obviously you'd like the guy you got.
Speaker 5: It's a pretty receiver playoffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think what you have to try and do in that any situation is look at your needs and who's the best player available, and then what are your chances I think getting a player at these other positions in the coming rounds. And so we've got a pick in I don't know what is it, thirteen picks away, fourteen to fifteen picks away, whatever that is, I don't know. So we have to kind of assess who we think is going to be there at that pick, and then we have another pick after that in the fourth round, and so everything we do is based on percentages, and so again I'll give I'll give Derek Yam credit. He said today, at the start of the day, there was an eighty percent chance that we would get Roger roseen Garden eighty percent, and I said that seems kind of high to me, and he got kind of nervous and goes, yeah, it seems kind high to me too, But we got him. So he's he's a free man.
Speaker 5: How much does it factor into Roger, who's a right tackled recovering the line for.
Speaker 6: Is the added value in doing that job? Yeah, I think that's a good point.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 7: And he's at He's just an athletic guy when you watch the tape, Like Eric had mentioned, he's young, but he can move his feet. I think Brian was kind of talking about that, the athleticism part of it. He can move so it's not going to be a challenge for him to go either way.
Speaker 14: He's young.
Speaker 7: We'll bring him in all these guys we look at, especially early on. He live be in a mini camp in here next weekend and he'll be playing both sides and just see what they look like and kind of see how it shakes out over the course of mini camp, training camp and all that. But the fact that he was with the left handed quarterback on the right side, I think is kind of part of that. Yeah, what do you what do you?
Speaker 5: What do you?
Speaker 6: Kind of how you in your defense?
Speaker 7: Well, I saw a guy on tape that makes a lot of plays and he does it in a real athletic way. I mean, he's a very athletic guy, very explosive starter, very.
Speaker 14: Can cover ground.
Speaker 7: He can get to you can get to the edge of a tackle and beat him on the edge with quickness or beat him underneath the quickness and then you know, long arm power, he's got that too, So he's got some real pass rush ability. He's heavy handed against the run. So for us, he's going to be in the rotation just like last year, and he's probably from a number standpoint, you know, in Jadevian spot with those guys. So you got all those guys back, we're going to add We're gonna add David, you know, because he's going to be healthy. We got van Nei back and then we got our other guys. So who are you know, I mean, we got a pretty good group out there. Coming off the edge, setting the edge outside backers, defensive ends, and he's going to be a part of that. So I like having fresh guys out there playing really hard, you know, and especially deposition.
Speaker 4: Your evaluation of athletic pass rushers changed it all because you guys do got Chust who he's one of the best to kind of crafting, you know, scale out of maybe some rougher edges.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, I think Jonas I really pay attention to Chuck. I mean when he talks, I listened because he is a great pass rush specialist and he's looking for traits and he gets excited by certain guys and uh, and I like that. I love his enthusiasm. He's a he's a he's a joy to work within the draft meetings because he's you know, if he loves a guy and uh, and that's exciting. That's what you want as an evaluator. And there's a guy that kind of organizes the draft. You really want, you know, your your scouts and your coaches to take ownership of certain guys and get on the table for guys. And Chuck does that. And he's a great coach. And so if he sees these trades and somebody I get excited. I think we all saw how our guys developed last year and emerge and what we did, and I think Chuck's a big part of that.
Speaker 6: Big picture of the draft has surprised you, so Fartman.
Speaker 5: And any of the positional run tapping it different times than your respecting.
Speaker 2: Maybe well, I just think it's you know again it you know, I feel we feel fortunate because you know, we took Nate and then we saw those corners go at the beginning today like all of the guys we like to get picked, and then uh Roger and then I mean, I've never seen anything like what we saw today where every single guard and tackle on the front board got picked in a span of twenty picks. Never seen that before, so that was kind of surprising. It's just been it seems like, if you're going to define this draft is to the draft of the run, because you sew the quarterbacks in the first round, and then you saw the corners kind of at the end of the second into the at the end of the first, end of the second, and then for the end of the second into the thirty sell of the offensive alignment. So it's been unusual.
Speaker 15: Is that a big part of Derek Gams kind of job is your job is analyzing where's that run going to start? How can we get ahead of that run or earlier than run at least?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I try to do that. I think I study that list, the damn list. I have it, and I study it, and you just kind of if you look at it long enough, you start to see patterns. And I did feel I can't say that I thought the offensive line would work out like it did today because I actually thought that we would have an opportunity tomorrow to get some pretty good offensive linemen.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: But at the corner position, I did kind of see there was a trap that if you didn't get a corner in the first round and you weren't picking high in a second, you were going to be in trouble. I did see that, and so and I think that was the case.
Speaker 4: Ericor John, I think rosing Guard obviously was coming off that kind of disappointed and that Washington Michigan game. Was he as high on your rate or as central on your radar going into the Senior Bowl then when he left, I mean, you guys already really liked him going into Mobile to be kind of open, you guys, I was to have a look of a prospect he was there, Well.
Speaker 2: You know I didn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 2: So we went that We went to the National championship. John and I we were blessed to be able to go to that game and it was a great result, as John would say, in a fun night. And you know, I'll be honest, I really I did scout a little bit, but I was really just kind of taken in the atmosphere the game at that point. I didn't know a lot about Roger at that point. My first real you know, exposure was at the Senior Bowl and I was very impressed by him. Came back and before the draft meetings, watched his tape, was more impressed and uh and then he you know, went to the combine interviewed him. Super impressive guy, great background, great makeup.
Speaker 16: Uh.
Speaker 2: And so that's kind of what happened with that, which you know was.
Speaker 5: That and what any impact that And to approach the.
Speaker 2: First of the draft, you know, Rishard as a player that I just I've said it a million times and I think coach would say the same thing, like I am extremely excited to watch for shot this year. I think his best football's ahead of him, and so to get him back was kind of a no brainer. It's something he wanted, it's something we wanted. When both sides kind of see the same goal, then it's easy to kind of accomplish. And so I just feel like he's a really, really talented player who's had some bad luck with injuries. I think he's got a very bright future and I'm excited to watch him play.
Speaker 3: You guys, so you got them.
Speaker 1: Thanks, So they're certainly excited about these moves. And now let's hear from offensive tackle Roger Rosegarten, who the Ravens took in the second round at pick number sixty two.
Speaker 8: Hey, congratulations, Roger. You're obviously known for your past blocking at Washington. What's how do you kind of sunk in? How's it going to feel to be a pass blocking for Lamar Jackson?
Speaker 9: I mean, as soon as I said I heard Baltimore, you know that's the first thing I came on. My blocking for Lamar an elite level quarterback and MVP level quarterback. I mean, it's it's a dream come true. I mean, Baltimore is one of those places where it's been a historic program for such a long time and just to year my name called and have everybody in the staff come and congratulate me.
Speaker 6: It was it was such a great feeling.
Speaker 10: We'll go to Garrett Downing.
Speaker 1: Hey, Roger, congratulations. You know, you know for you obviously played a right tackle Washington. Just kind of what do you feel like at your best position here at the NFL level and how do you feel like you're getting projects to this next this next level?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, uh, I'm most for sure comfortable with tackle both tackles. I grew up playing left and then kind of got switched over to right. But you know, my main thing is is I actually want to come in and compete and uh, you know, Earn Winz helped help this team earn wins for the program, and uh, I mean it means a lot to me that Baltimore chose me at this position. And uh, you know, I take a lot of pride in playing offensive line, especially especially offensive tackles.
Speaker 10: So Jeff's the reeback.
Speaker 3: Rocher.
Speaker 11: What was your level of interaction with the Ravens. Did you come to Baltimore or for pre draft visit? Did you meet with them at the combine and did you kind of have a feeling that they were going to be one of the teams that was going to be interested you here in that second round.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I mean I met with them first at Senior Bowl kind of briefly within the scouts, and then I think that progressed on to a Combine visit and I had a formal meeting with them and that went super well.
Speaker 6: I remember, you have the alloweded.
Speaker 9: Seventeen or twenty minutes whatever it was, and our meeting ended up going ten minutes.
Speaker 6: Coach Harbaugh and.
Speaker 9: The offensive line coach and the rest of the staff really said, hey, man, like you check all the boxes. I mean, no, there's no need to spend all seventeen minutes on this. So I know, I knew from there. My meeting went super well with them at the Combine, and then I didn't end up doing a thirty visit, but that's kind of all the extent was.
Speaker 6: And yeah, we'll.
Speaker 10: Go Childs Walker and then Ryan Mink.
Speaker 13: Yeah here, Roderick, congratulations. Where do you feel like you have the most room to grow in your game?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I mean, for me as an offensive lineman, I feel I'm my own biggest critic, you know, I feel like there's a super It's unbelievable to say, but I think there's a lot in my games that I need to critique and get better at. You know, so when it comes back to game film, I wish I could give you one strong answer, but I mean, I got a whole lot to work on my game.
Speaker 6: You know, my game isn't perfect, but you know, I.
Speaker 9: Feel like I have certain strengths in certain areas and certain weaknesses and areas. But I mean it's it's all broad in on offense line. It could be get off, it could be hand placement A to Z.
Speaker 6: Really, so.
Speaker 15: Ran me, Roger, congratulations. Yeah, I just want to build off those strengths that you see. Where where do you feel like right now are the biggest strengths in your game?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I mean, just coming from college, we were past heavy offense, so obviously I feel very confident in my past set, but also my run blocking. I feel like my run blocking is underrated. We were kind of in that spread offense, kind of spread offense, run scheme, zone scheme. But I mean it doesn't matter what what scheme it is, uh, I mean I feel confident within run pass screens, getting out in space, I just feel confident at all.
Speaker 10: So we'll go to Brian Whacker and then Gianahan.
Speaker 17: Hey, Roger, congratulations, you know you mentioned you run blocking obviously, Derrick Henry here just got to hear how excited kind of are you to be able to block for him and and sort of what what how familiar are you with with the raven scheme and what Todd Mulkin likes to do and so forth.
Speaker 9: Yeah, as soon as you brought up Dereck Henry, I mean that was one of the first things when I thought Baltimore.
Speaker 6: You think Lamar and then you think the new addition of Derrick Henry.
Speaker 9: Uh, you get a guy that that high level running and guy runs hard.
Speaker 6: Trust his O limeon. I know he loves his old linement from just.
Speaker 9: Watching him back when he was at Tennessee and to see him now finally on Baltimore, it's it's super exciting. And just to note that I'm going to get reps at blocking for Derrick Henry, it's a it's something that you know, you don't really think of growing up watching him when he was at Alabama, and then he wins the Heisman and uh, kind of come full circle and get a get a block For a guy like that, it's it's a super special.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Gianna, congratulations.
Speaker 18: Kind Of going off of the last question and response, when it comes to blocking Lamar, what you've seen just watching him, is there anything unique that entails since he is a very different type of quarterback. Obviously he can lift your game. But is there anything you'll have to adju us to learn to play with Lamar?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 9: I mean, I think obviously Lamar is one of the strong suits is his ability to scramble and get it out of the pocket. But a lot of that came with Mike Pennix back at school before he kind of came to Washington and everyone saw him as a true pocket passer and seeing what he can do in practice, he would he would definitely burge out and kind of get in that scrambled mindset, and I learned to adapt to it very quickly. I mean, thankfully he didn't have to do that too much in games, but I mean in practice, it was it was, it was on and uh when it came to that scramble mentality that he had when it needs to be and uh, you know, going from la Lamar's standing there and he'll rip it and rip it, but he'll also get out in the pocket when he needs to.
Speaker 6: So I'm excited.
Speaker 10: We'll go Nikkeel and then back to Jeff's the rebec.
Speaker 19: Hi Rober, Congratulations, Welcome to Baltimore. I know someone already asked you a little bit about what your feel is about Todd Monkin's offense, But coming from that Washington offense, how do you feel like what you did in that Washington offense is going to translate directly to the NFL?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, just from Todd's offense when he's in that gun formation, I know he trust this offensive line very much, so, especially the edges and the tackles, and you know, I think just that supreme confidence of in his offensive line within the past game in also run game, I mean, it speaks millions to what I could bring to the table and coming in and competing.
Speaker 20: And yeah, Roger, have you gotten the sense from the Ravens where whether it's gonna be the right or left side or is it just not got conversation not gotten specific yet with that, and.
Speaker 6: That hasn't gotten really specific obviously.
Speaker 9: I think you know, I played right the majority of my career with my starts, but I'm flexible to just come in and compete for both.
Speaker 6: You know, that's my main thing.
Speaker 9: I just want to come in and compete and earn the respect of my teammates and the coaches.
Speaker 6: And yeah, we'll go.
Speaker 10: To Kyle Barber.
Speaker 21: Hey, Roderick, congratulations. You know in past protecting for Michael Pennix, being a left handed quarterback on the right side, you're essentially protecting his blind side. Just how translatable is that for your game on the right side with with pass protection. Do you think that kind of gave you a benefit in refining your past skill pass protection skills?
Speaker 6: Absolutely?
Speaker 9: I mean just knowing your blind side, you know, you got to sharpen up your edges. You know, you can't get loose on an edge and give up an edge pressure because you know quarterbacks I could be able to see it, but I mean there's just those added extra I don't even think it's pressure to me. I think it's it's a privilege, you know, those privileges that come with the blindside. And you know, especially my two years of starting and having that left handed quarterback, you know, I ate all that pressure up and took it for all those worth so yeah.
Speaker 10: Ryan Mank and then Jonash Schaeffer.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Roger.
Speaker 15: One thing the draft pundits talked about is is your weight at three ten at year pro Day? Is that something are you looking to put on more weight or is that where you feel comfortable because of your great mobility.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Like you said, I just want to I just want to make sure I'm mobile, I feel athletic, So I can probably range from three to fifteen to three oh five.
Speaker 6: It really doesn't matter.
Speaker 9: I just want to feel strong, especially mobile, feel athletic on the edge, and get out in space. So that's my main thing. So if that's three fifteen, three twenty three ten, my weight can vary. I'm not like one strong, one strong way I could it could varies as long as I feel good at that weight running around and taking sets and getting off on runs.
Speaker 6: I feel ready.
Speaker 22: Hey Roger, congratulations. Was there a offensive lineman for you growing up who you modeled your game after? And then secondly, did you kind of get a sense from the Ravens whether they would encourage your kind of aggressive style on pass sets? I mean, you'd be bringing the the forty four Special to Baltimore. Is that a little bit too far down the road.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean absolutely, I just want to come in and compete right away, you know whether obviously I gotta use the technique that coach once to.
Speaker 6: Install, and I you know, well, coach has a really good.
Speaker 9: Plan for offensive linemen that come in and you grown up, I watched a lot of the Joe stalies.
Speaker 6: You know, I'm thankful to have him in my corner training.
Speaker 9: And uh, you know, I've heard stories about my old uh DE line coach in high school.
Speaker 6: His name is Travis Kirski. He was UCLA teammates with Jonathan.
Speaker 9: Ogden, and you know that's uh he he told me crazy stories of how Jonathan Ogden was such a legend over here, and uh, yeah.
Speaker 14: Did you ever get to meet Ogden?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 6: I didn't. I I've heard.
Speaker 9: Uh he's one of the biggest humans, at least my D line coaches I've met. And Travis Kirsky was not a small individual, to say the least.
Speaker 10: So we'll go to Brian Whacker and then close it out with Jeff Curiebeck.
Speaker 17: Roger, I know you're also a pretty good basketball player back in high school.
Speaker 14: Just how much one did that help?
Speaker 17: You know in terms of your full work and ability into how do you think that translates, you know, to your skill set.
Speaker 6: Yeah? Absolutely.
Speaker 9: You know, going back to my old line meetings with Coach Huff, you know, in the old line room, basically what would happen was He's like, get to a good point, get get to a good position to punch and pass pro and then once you're there, it's basically just playing basketball with them. And that for me just clicked right away. Like you said, you know, whether that's your guarding the guy in the perimeter and interior, you block a guy with your feet first, and.
Speaker 6: I find that very very true with offensive line play.
Speaker 9: So I mean that basketball background background definitely helps me out.
Speaker 6: A ton.
Speaker 14: So did you have a favorite basketball player ground up?
Speaker 9: I wouldn't say I really had one, but I've really being a colorad of kid, and uh, you know, I've really come to uh loved Jokic's game, just how he plays and how he dominates and it makes it look so easy. You know, I think just bringing those same uh skill traits to offensive line and uh, you know, I'd love to and they and make it make it look easy.
Speaker 1: So we lastly, let's close it out with outside linebacker A Lisa isaac whose the Ravens took in the third round to pick number ninety three.
Speaker 15: Congratulations. Just just want to get your take on on joining the Ravens. Were they a team that you felt like, you know, was coming after you the whole time, that you had a good chance of Lanta with or what's the what's the emotions?
Speaker 23: I mean, it was kind of you know, surprise when you had a good feeling of you know, the Ravens had, you know, they had high hopes for me, and you know they don't me, so you know, I thought they it was a good bit. And you know I have one of my former teammates, Ado Fine anyway, so you know he helped with me to play State.
Speaker 3: So that's when we you know, we were close.
Speaker 23: So just seeing that connect thing and seeing how you know, just how it ended up happening to me.
Speaker 10: We're going to Gianahan.
Speaker 18: Hi, Lisa, congrats. I know Eric Acosta said that he was up there for the West Virginia game visiting his daughter. Got to see you.
Speaker 3: But did you talking during that it?
Speaker 18: And I guess what is it like having a GM whose daughter was a I guess a classmate of yours.
Speaker 3: Actually I didn't see it. Talked to him during that game.
Speaker 23: But that's crazy, like the amount of the nexting that the Ravens have with play State and just how many familiar pacing and just connexing is.
Speaker 3: A small world. So just the pit itself piece is perfect.
Speaker 17: Go to Brian Whacker, Hey, congratulations, two quick things. How familiar are you with Adafi Alway? And and you know have you talked to him much or any of that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm very familiar with him.
Speaker 23: You helped keep me the Penn State Models, and then we ended up playing together a couple of years and we're to the Ravens, so you know, we're real tight. You know, some similar area to me, so you know we have a lot of comiction there, you know. Just so he was a great, great, great team, a great big butt to me, permanent to the Tain States. You know, I just think him to you know, hap to me when I first got there. They learning and now now for it to come to the circles, it's it's it's a very unique situation.
Speaker 17: And then just secondly curious how you're you know, your relationship with with your siblings kind of impacted you growing up and so forth, and and what kind of relationship you have with them.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know, we're all.
Speaker 23: Close and they have their own verbally, So people may think that it's it's prowent being communicated them or whatnot. But I feel like, just you know, obviously going up within my whole life. They're just in your siblings. That's how I look my brother my sister, because my brothers my sister. So it's just I mean, I check think the same. So it's nothing, nothing new, you know. I feel like, you know, just like how you would teach your brother and talk to your brother. You know, we laugh, we joke, we uh, you know, we play fight, you.
Speaker 3: Know, just everything.
Speaker 23: So I love him to beat and you know, I think things, you know, just the motivation and inspiration to me in my lifetime.
Speaker 3: They just everything.
Speaker 10: I think that everything they've been long, say, the leasing any game to do, We'll go to Clifton Brown.
Speaker 12: Yeah, congratulations at least a little like things really clicked for you to your last couple of years at Penn State. Why do you think things clicked for you? And do you think that you're really kind of just scratching the surface, so to speak, because you know, you kind of didn't have the you know early starting.
Speaker 6: Football that a lot of guys did, right.
Speaker 23: I feel like after I got hurt that so much on one season and we'll just you know, open.
Speaker 3: My mind to a lot.
Speaker 23: You know, this is like you being able to watch more and not have they thigured to do certain things, and it puts a newer.
Speaker 3: Train on your on your mindset.
Speaker 23: And that's kind of what I've begun to field at that time in that year, and it made my whole standard. And I think back that from the front of two season and getting rolling into that teage on the season, I mean, you know, kind of building on what I taxed and I took from and from just from just to go on from the agy the adversity and taught me a lot it is good and so you're using all of that and the kind of making a bull of positivity from it kind of slung me into that t th season where I was just extra confident, you know, far away from the injury. You know, a great, great coaching and you know better kind of better strung one like you last year.
Speaker 3: So that was appetit to that. It didn't a lot of it.
Speaker 10: We'll go to creative Parks and then Garrett Downing.
Speaker 9: DSA.
Speaker 16: You kind of alluded to it a bit, but I wanted to ask you, just bouncing back from that Achilles injury and just the perseverance that it took and the adversity that you faced, how do you think that that will help you as you move forward to the next level.
Speaker 3: It's gonna help me tremendously.
Speaker 23: I feel like a diversity I wanted to live up the words may be something Malaga things and it won't really be much of a much of a hittup because I'm I'm gonna find a way to make that making something out and get the best out of it.
Speaker 3: You know, it's a little bad. I feel like it just it just blews your mind to be able to handle adversity.
Speaker 23: Is in the big waves, Yeah, I mean there's a lot of a lot of great things that come from I don't want to make it seem like it's big to get hurt, but they do a lot of good things to each other.
Speaker 3: Luke, and I'm an injuries in these congratulations is that? I guess?
Speaker 1: How would you describe yourself as a player?
Speaker 17: What the Ravens are getting and you I.
Speaker 23: Would say, I'm just a disruptive on very lengthy, bandy pitches. It's violent play like very versatilele and you know, I can't make make plays some dropping they play some ruts and they play from in the London. So I'm just a very versatile player the plug and play anywhere. And I just feel like I bring a lot to the Ravens and you know they're obviously.
Speaker 3: A great tradition here, so I'm great. I'm just excited and uncle, all.
Speaker 23: These prooven have been played, just get better and you know what I think to be the best version of myself that I mean, We'll.
Speaker 10: Go to Kyle Phoenix and then Childs Walker.
Speaker 6: He congratulations, Lisa.
Speaker 21: Is there a quarterback that you are most hoping to get a sack against? Is there anybody that comes to mind that you're excited about now that you're here.
Speaker 3: I need I need that.
Speaker 23: My home sick and I need that need that. I need that job I liked. I like explaining the bigger bodies. So he's kind of outyety, so it will give me a little bit of challenge and more back.
Speaker 13: M hm, congratulations. Curious do you do you know much about about Chuck Smith? Who is kind of the the past Rush expert on the on the coaching staff.
Speaker 6: And is it exciting to you.
Speaker 13: The idea of kind of kind of getting in the lab with somebody who will really drill down on the specific the specifics of that croft.
Speaker 3: Oh definitely. I've heard a lot about him throughout my throughout my college career.
Speaker 23: I've always heard the name Chuck Smick, Chuck Smith, and it's never is able to put a face to it. So now you know just how it came from the circle, I'm able to working for one.
Speaker 3: So it's just amazing and I'm just excited to you.
Speaker 23: Know, learn from you know, like like you said, a lot of great coaches want to experience. So I'm just excited to you know, just improve myself and met all these exciting coaches.
Speaker 10: We'll go to Ryan mink.
Speaker 3: Easy.
Speaker 15: I'm just curious about the competition you have with Chopp Robinson, your teammate out in Penn State, and do you expect a similar competition now reuniting with a Dope.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, definitely definitely.
Speaker 23: I Mean before Top came, you know, me and me and Dophin bro It's you know, it's I'm excited to kind of re unite that and you know, get some funny topic.
Speaker 3: Six are going again and it's a lead more sweeter than this, say he just excited.
Speaker 10: Giannah.
Speaker 18: Between you know, Adolphe being on the team and the Ravens defensive success. I'm curious how much you watch him through this last season if anything stuck out to you about why they found so much success and why you think you would fit in with all that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Doctor is a hell of a player.
Speaker 23: And you know, I've been watching sixty pay from the state, so seeing how he's the goal and seeing the praise that he's making on the Ravens his first year with the year, it's amazing and miss you know, the type of caliber playing years.
Speaker 3: You know that he's even to minis athletes.
Speaker 23: You know you have a tennis state set that you know you can lead them anywhere.
Speaker 3: The Hathles, So just.
Speaker 23: Taking taking certain things from his game, seeing how he kind of approaches tackles in his hands and just kind of takes certain certain news from him that I feel like, you know, it's gonna it can fit in my two that I feel like we have a singular similar skill set and so I can kind of see some many moves, which is why you know so much, because you do a lot of things so much similar, and so he's excited to you know, you're not my boy.
Speaker 10: We can do two more. We'll go Jonas and then Nikhil. You close us out.
Speaker 14: Hey, Desa, congrats.
Speaker 22: I think Chopp said during the pre draft process that he was actually a Ravens fan.
Speaker 14: I know he obviously grew up in Maryland.
Speaker 22: Has he reached out to you tonight, uh, in any way to kind of extend his congratulations to you.
Speaker 23: Yeah, he actually tried poll me while I was on this interview, So that's a big time out.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I'm pretty sure that you know, excited that I'm in his home child, no doubt. You know, it's it's it's a great day. It's a great baba.
Speaker 6: Hidsa. Congratulations, Welcome to Baltimore.
Speaker 19: Obviously, the Ravens of Lamar Jackson Dereck Henry now strong offensive identity, but for the since the franchise was founded, really it's been a very defensive oriented franchise. How do you feel joining and what kind of legacy do you want to leave?
Speaker 23: This exciting just it's all about being a raven growing up. You know, I didn't play football. You meet a nice Steeds, but the one team that constantly heard was the raven You know, Baltimore Ravens.
Speaker 3: And Ogonham and Tom when ray Lewison.
Speaker 23: Doing these things, so you know it was it's a it's a very history franchise and you know, I'm just excited to doing ex edition is you know, be the best player I can be in the scene, contribute to the team.
Speaker 1: So it's clear that the Ravens are excited about the second round of the draft, and as Eric Costa talked about Friday night, they feel like the board is following pretty much perfectly in terms of how the Ravens are built, the needs that they have, and what it means for this team moving forward. Also, now they go into Day three having checked off some of the biggest remaining needs on this roster, and they have a lot of freedom and some picks on Saturday, so Eric can get creative about how he uses those pits and we'll see what tricks he has up his sleeve Saturday afternoon as the draft concludes. Thanks so much for listening to the Ravens Press Past podcast. Also head over to The Lounge podcast feed for full recaps of everything happening over the course of draft weekend. Thanks for listening, and we'll be back with you tomorrow.