Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go. Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Ready for a break? Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com right with Mbar Garcia, Brian brought us, Nick Harris and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 5: It is Wednesday, January twenty second, twenty twenty five, Season twenty, episode number one hundred.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We are live from this s WBC Morgage Studios at the.
Speaker 5: Start, presented by LG Elgi's world's number one o lead TV brand for eleven years in counting see why at LG dot com Forward slash o led evo one hundred episodes in Brian still hasn't figured out the chair, but that's.
Speaker 3: Okay, working on in Boston.
Speaker 2: We'll keep working on that.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've been working for you for about fourteen years and chair never works.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Maybe at some point we'll just say it's the chair and we need to get you a new chair.
Speaker 3: Exactly. We're a good man.
Speaker 4: We're speaking of chairs. Someone got rid of our chairs at training camp years ago. I oun't know where what remember that we took the chairs we had back at Valley Ranch. Yeah, and we shipped them out on the truck. Well, I had the comfortable chairs, and then we decided to leave them out there for storage. And then we got in back the next year, and then all of a sudden, two years after, we never found them.
Speaker 3: Never found the chairs again. I started bringing my own chair. Bucky and Mike were nice enough to let me pack a chair camp or camp.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was your big leather chair.
Speaker 3: I had my leather chair. Yeah. She's right though, Emperor and.
Speaker 4: He got me to take my chair as well, because those chairs on training camp are really uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I have the video of the last day at Valley Ranch, like when we closed the door and turn off the lights, that kind of thing, And yeah, I missed that chair. There's probably there's probably somebody an Oxnard there that has that chair, and it's probably sitting back right now listening to our broadcast.
Speaker 5: Nick and I don't worry about that. We're just out there grinding, just fighting for our lives. Yeah, that's just what we know. We were always fighting for your lives.
Speaker 2: I remember the old T shirts, right, if you do, you still have yours. I do still have had it on the other day, I wear.
Speaker 3: It every once while goes what does this mean? And I go, you really don't want to know.
Speaker 5: You really don't want to know. Oh that was before your time, though, that was your time. Sometimes I forget you went around for something that old.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Jason Garrett, he used to come up with some interesting slogans for the season and and acronyms and stuffs that were very interesting.
Speaker 2: So we can't move one of our own. Tell you the story, tell you all right? So who's were going to do today?
Speaker 3: Obviously Derek did a really smart thing not acquiring us to go to that big meeting that they had that brought us all like, hey, boss, this is a bad idea. Man, this guy's giving me the raw ross and I'm about to tell him he can't coach a lit Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sometimes we do have to politely declined thank you.
Speaker 3: But note Eric said, thank you very much. We'll catch you down the road.
Speaker 2: No, but what I said was I will go for the group.
Speaker 3: You guys, yeah, exactly, all know and represent our You're a great boss, that's the question.
Speaker 5: All right, let's talk. Here's what we got to talk about today. We got to talk about the coaching search. More has happened since last week when we met. We'll spend a little time on that in the second segment and maybe even the third segment.
Speaker 2: I have some questions for you guys.
Speaker 5: It's really our season in review, and I'm gonna take you guys into some questions about how the season played out and some some different thoughts you may have on different things that happen and how they affected this team and how we ultimately ended up where we ended up at seven and ten. But let's start first with the coaching search. At this point, they have interviewed Kellen Moore, Robert Sela, Leslie Fraser, and Brian Schottenheimer.
Speaker 2: Let's go through each of them and what I'd like you to do.
Speaker 5: I'm going to give you a name, and I want you to tell me what you like about the candidate and what you don't And I wouldn't eve say don't like about the candidate, but what concerns you most about the candidate? All right, so's start first with Kellen Moore. What do you like about him? What concerns you most about him?
Speaker 2: I think as a head coaches.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think innovative as an offensive play caller. I say innovative in the sense that his offenses have been changing from year to year. He would be the youngest head coach in the NFL at thirty six years old. I think there's still a lot of growth to have in his game.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 6: Granted, growth could also be a negative, and it's going to be part of my negative is the fact that you don't have an established head coach and Kellen Moore and you know, there were, you know, concerns whenever he left here about you know, does he have the presence to be a head coach.
Speaker 7: That would definitely be something he would have to answer as well.
Speaker 3: I think the presence is the biggest problem for me, and in first and I don't mean that in a way to be mean. I just maybe I've from a different era of football where when guys stand up in front of me, you know, I have to believe, you know, sell me, sell me on why I should follow you, Tell me why I should you know, sacrifice everything for the next ten months to follow you, you know, And and some people have that ability to do. There's been some great leaders that have been terrible head coaches. There's been some terrible leaders that have been really good head coaches. You know, quiet guys. There's Tony Dungees of the world. Tom Landry here very quiet except when he got in a meeting, then he would he would get on his players. So but to me, man, I think in this day and age, would I gravitate towards more towards the Dan Campbell line of thinking, then I do the Tony Dungee line of thinking. So to me, that would be that would be a negative to me as far as the presence of you know, of the stature of the guy standing in front. Can you can you make me follow you? I don't know if I can, if he can make me follow him?
Speaker 5: Do you have a positive one thing that you would think, Hey, that would be an actual advantage.
Speaker 7: I think.
Speaker 3: I think the fact that he spent a lot of his career here as a coach would help. I think that gets he understands there are things that are involved. He understands there's dot Com. He understands, there's blue Star of this blue Star that he understands. There's tours, he understands, there's a cafeteria. He knows who the locker room is, he knows where the coach's offices. He knows that the sun shines through the windows sometimes at three twenty five in the afternoon on a Sunday, you know. So, But he understands all that, he knows all that. That's an advantage for him. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I agree, that's an advantage for sure. The familiarity of it all as well as him being a player. He was a player here before, so he's been on that side as well. And I think he he's a very smart guy. He understands the game. But I'm completely with you, Brian on this. Personally, and as someone who is quiet myself, I'm not like a bubbly personality that goes around.
Speaker 7: Really, I'm not.
Speaker 4: You don't see me walking into a room, which shut.
Speaker 2: Up, you know what? Oh guy, here we go. This is you guys suck, Here we go, y'all. Yeah.
Speaker 4: But yeah, wow. Anyways, as a quiet person myself in the general speaking public environment, Kellen, I've been around him, I've seen him. I just don't think he has a personality to stand up in a room and be that type of leader that would want to make you go follow him and get you hype and pump. And you want somebody that draws attention when they walk into a room with their power presence, and he doesn't give me that.
Speaker 5: Let me ask you, Yes, I want to I want to challenge that a little bit because I kind of agree with you, but I at least want to think about it a little bit. In my opinion, I think leadership really comes down to relationships. I think it is the ability to be able to connect with people. And if you can connect with people, then you can ultimately motivate them. And by the way, you have to be able to show them how your presence in their life makes their life better right ultimately, and that means their professional life. Is that less about how you present and more about how you connect with this person when you sit down with them, when you have time to interact with them, about them believing this guy is who he says he is, and I trust that he can get me where I'm trying to go.
Speaker 3: See, this is the positive that I was going to give about Schottenheimer. Exactly what you're saying about, you know, about his ability to connect with people. Yeah, I think that's a huge positive for him. I think that's why he has a shot for this job. I agree with you. There are people like that, you know that have that ability. I just you know, to me, I see a guy that it would be. I would say, if Kellen Moore tried to give up, like a raw, raw speech to me to kind of get me to leave, I would I would take it as being. I would take it as not being. And the last thing I want to do is follow somebody that's phony if he stands up there. But if he's a person that you know, if he can, he might connect with a lot of people. I'm just saying for me personally, he really wouldn't connect for me, I can't. And you know, I've one of my favorite things. I was terrible in school, but I loved history. I loved wartime history. I loved generals. I love studying these guys and what the different And there were there were certain that were fiery and then there were others that were very calm in the way they've domined and that's the way they lead. I would have gravitated towards the fiery guys. And so that's to me. I don't mean it as a slam to Kellen. I just don't. I don't know how many guys would follow that. And this is and I hope this doesn't sound terrible, but there's a lot of these our players nowadays come from broken families. And I'm taking this in a way of maybe a dad not in a picture, but a very strong mom. And they look to some of these guys that stand up there coaches, as leaders, as people in their lives that give them direction and give them hope and give them focus, and you know, because they haven't maybe had a male figure in their life all their time. So to me, you know, I think our players, they a lot of these guys understand that kind of coaching, that hard coaching that I say hard, but I mean, you know, you know, hey, come on, let's go. You know, hey, grab you you know, come on, come on, man, come on, you're with me today, come on, you know that kind of thing. And so I tend to think that this, this, this, this this generation that we have now looks to that guy. They look to a strong personality, a strong person standing in front of them, as opposed to maybe a person that doesn't come off that way. Because they have they they're looking for that in their life.
Speaker 2: In that way is it?
Speaker 3: I hope I didn't mess that up.
Speaker 5: No, here's my question though, in that way, is it more about the presence that they command, like when they walk in the room, they're immediately noticed, is Amber says, because I don't know if that always necessarily trains.
Speaker 4: Like if you're in a room, let's say, with Jerry Jones other people, is your voice gonna be heard? Are you gonna fight for why you believe it's true, or are you gonna be submissive to what other people are saying? Like I want somebody that is vocal and feel comfortable to be vocal, but not allow themselves to be walked all over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get so, And that's my question.
Speaker 5: Then from a standpoint of Kellen, I don't know enough about Kellen and know that that person or not.
Speaker 2: What I can see is I agree with you.
Speaker 5: I don't think that when you look at him, you don't automatically assume that he is the type that immediately commands respect when you see him walk in a room. I think he just blends in with everybody else. There are some people that walk in the room and immediately everybody notices who they are. Typically that's about size and Reggie White.
Speaker 3: Reggie White, I never I walk. When Reggie White came in a room, when I was sitting in a room, I literally took a breath because he's massive. I mean, he's but the personality, you know, in his faith in alle I mean everything that he said was you know, if he's talking about, hey, we need to do this, and we need to do this, and you're like, yes, reverend, yes, reverend, yes, reverend, yes, reverend, yes, reverend. You know that's how you followed him, you know, But when he came into a room and like Amber's right, first time I ever met Jerry Jones. He comes into a room and you're just like, wow, that's Jerry Jones.
Speaker 5: Well, let me challenge it further. Does a person like Sean McVay have that.
Speaker 3: I think Sean McVay. I think Sean McVay. I think players trust Sean McVay because of his age.
Speaker 2: I think about that.
Speaker 3: I think they trust him because they feel like when Seawan is a young guy, players are young guy. They kind of I think that Sean McVay can relate more to players today with his age because his age. But see, you know, and I'm not gonna I'll give Kellen Moore credit because he could because of his age, he can relate. That's that's a plus. But when you said Sean McVay, I think did Sean mcvay's personality leads to that of a you know, like stretching lines. He's coming up, he's he's he's needling you.
Speaker 2: About something he has, the person has the person person.
Speaker 3: He's not standing up in front watching the whistles being blown and all right, turn it and he's looking at his play sheet thinking of what practice Sean McVay might be walking around going in between the group. John Gruden when he was the young coach. John Gruden did the same thing. I watch John go in between the the players and like and and talking to him about that. Now on the other end of it, I've seen Nick Saban, seventy years old, needle in his players. But I think with McVeigh it's it's there's a trust with the players because he's closer to their age.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes it.
Speaker 6: One counterpoint I'd like to bring up is uh the fact that Kellen Moore has a lot of experience commanding a huddle and sure that could go back to uh high school days, going back to college.
Speaker 3: He's a winner. The guy, he's a winner. Yeah.
Speaker 6: At the time of him leaving Boys and State, he was winning this quarterback start record.
Speaker 5: I would say he's the guy that put Bois on the map because before him, I don't know that Boise was a national team that people really thought about in that way and just in my opinion.
Speaker 3: Won a lot of games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that the blue turf, Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 6: I'm trying to think of the Oklahoma Fiesta Bowls. Before he got there, I think it was what was it.
Speaker 7: I think before he.
Speaker 3: Got there, I thought he did the statue liberty. I thought he handed it.
Speaker 2: I thought I could I could be my time. It was all very often.
Speaker 5: But but again, what I'm hearing from you, Brian, though, is that it really is then more about can you create relationships? Because what you say of McVay is they knows how to individualize his coaching.
Speaker 2: So as he.
Speaker 5: Walks around that that field, this one guy, he knows I can needle him about this. So this other guy, hey man, how's going you just had a Baby's a baby? That he knows how to connect with people on a personal level. That's what makes him a great can.
Speaker 4: He portrays more confidence even in this is a something I'm a I'm a very visual person and I talk a lot about like the physical and like the psychology and and the movements of people. When you see him walk, he has a certain step to his walk that he portrays a certain type of power slash confidence. You want somebody that walks in with confidence. Again, this is not a shot a Kellen Moore, because, if anything, I relate more with Kellen Moore and his personality. I feel like I'm on the same boat as him. But one thing is leading in a huddle. Another thing is leading a whole team. And again being in the room with other powerful people, is your voice gonna be heard the way it needs to be heard, by the way?
Speaker 2: And then oh, okay, so he was there.
Speaker 5: He was there after the okay, Yeah, so I guess it jumped on the map that year.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, but Kellen definitely cemented the map.
Speaker 3: Fifty three games? Did he win?
Speaker 7: He played fifty three games?
Speaker 3: Oh? I don't think I think he was. I think it was fifty three wins that he had. But yeah, you know, to Amber's point, this is why I think that fifty and three, This is why I think that that he's did that that Schottenheimer has got a real shot because if you remember where he came in, he was like he took over the you know, he was the defensive assis. I mean, he was like helping the defensive coaches. He was the Ben McAdoo coach, you know, on staff, so you know, the defensive players. I remember defensive players talking about him like, man, this guy's in your face all the time, like, hey, you got to watch this man this week. They're going to do this, you know when they get in trips formation there, and the defensive guys really respected him for how hard had he worked and how you know, And you're right about the relationships. I just feel like though that that's one of the strengths when you get to you know, Brian Schottenheimer. Why I think he could get this job is exactly what you just said. The relationships.
Speaker 2: I really think.
Speaker 5: I think it's underestimated in the opinions of fans when they start talking about coaches that they'd like to see coach their team. I think what's really not talked about enough is the fact that being a head coach is really about getting all these men to get on the same page and stay on the same page. And I can tell you from managing about forty something people in our group, the hardest thing you have to do is make sure you keep everybody focused on the right things. And by the way, there's always distractions. This person over here has a little distraction, and when they have a little distraction, it.
Speaker 2: May change what they're doing.
Speaker 5: And then this person over here sees that distraction and then either do they handle it the right way, do they go to ask that person thing need help, or they start gossiping with someone else about this guy being distracted, and now it turns into something else over here. Now you got a faction over here, and now you got to deal with that faction over here. And then the work over here starts to slide and you got to deal with that. It's all the little fires that you have to put out. That's what being a leader really is. And can you manage a group of people to stay focused on what you need them to be focused on, to minimize all the distractions, minimize all the little things that can pop up, the idiosyncrasies, and to be able to look past all that and say we've got a common goal, We're going to be focused on that common goal that has nothing whatsoever to do with x's and o's. By the way, you got coordinators position coaches that do a lot of that. The head coach's most important job is keeping all those guys together. And it's more it's a more difficult job in football than it is in any other sport because the sheer volume of players you have.
Speaker 2: When you go to training camp.
Speaker 5: You got ninety something players, right, and you got to keep all of them focused on the same thing to get anything done. That, to me, is what the job is. It is not ex's and o's in my opinion. Exit and o's is a part of it. That is not the job of an NFL head coach in my opinion.
Speaker 3: If you're bad at x's and o's, you'll notice, though you will.
Speaker 2: And by the way, I think I think there's a baseline for all of that.
Speaker 3: You'll point it out.
Speaker 5: There's a baseline for all that. You can You can't say, go throw Direk in there to be a coach. Yeah, because I think I'm a pretty good leader. I don't know that your point.
Speaker 3: Your point's absolutely right about keeping everybody on task, But you know, like you say, it's also the delegation of others around them to help you get your message across and keep everybody on task. But I always said, you know, and I never really got I never got to the point where I got to hire anybody. But I would always if I if I did, I would have said, hire people that are smarter than you. Always try and hire people that are smarter than you. You know. And there's a lot of guys around the league that make mistakes that don't hire the smarter guys, and then they're out of a job in.
Speaker 2: Three years because they're insecure. Because they're insecure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can't be that way if you're going to be successfulness saying all.
Speaker 5: Right, we're going to take our first break, We're going to come back. We've got a couple of other names gonna have to throw out. We'll do that when we come right back. This is Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 8: Todd thought it would be secure to jog and the cheat of Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 9: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G footy Deals.
Speaker 10: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 11: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas take five oil change. A proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think. They're so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take fives, stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area, and remember at take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. That means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration.
Speaker 3: Take five the official.
Speaker 2: Oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 7: From the field to the festivities.
Speaker 12: Lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the starn Frisco or online at lucasey dot com.
Speaker 7: Lucasey the official boot.
Speaker 12: Of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 2: How do you tell the world about all the great gifts in the Yetti Store? Letter Rip Troy?
Speaker 13: All right, folks, let's get started with the Eddy French Press and Joe Calvin This Day's Hot for Hours and French Press thirty four. As for U six four with the cruise Yetty French Press. What mix waterproof bags bags and waterproof some Where's wa waterproof Devil's waterprove bag bags forts most of the watersh to get a waterprove YETI bag gont smell something. Cooking pole new cast iron skillets made to be passed down like Mama's recipes. Take a stek cornback compaerce pot pie ptatoes next over with three sizes of the Yetti cast iron.
Speaker 5: Skillers, gear gifts and product experts visit the Yetti store on McKinney Street and at South Lake Town Square.
Speaker 14: Today back to the Break, lgled evo is the best TV in the game, but don't take our word for it.
Speaker 4: Digital Trends said that LG OLEDG four has the best picture of quality they've ever seen. See you for yourself at LG dot com slash oled.
Speaker 2: Evo Welcome Back.
Speaker 5: It is the second segment of the Break, live from the SWBC Mortgage studios. At the star of the segment proty by blockchain dot Com. Okay, I'm about to take a detour and I'm gonna take our our off the air conversation to the air, and I want to hear from that.
Speaker 4: I feel the passion.
Speaker 2: I really will I don't think he's wrong. I want to hear from fans.
Speaker 5: I want you guys to either call us, hit us on Twitter, whatever. I just want to know if you were Dion Sanders, because the question came up Brian. Brian said in the break man go hire Deon Sanders, right, And I kind of agree with you.
Speaker 3: I think he would be if they're not going to hire Eron Glenn. I kind of yeah.
Speaker 5: But that being said, we both also agree there's no way he wants to coach his son. I mean, he wants to complay play against his son twice a year, and a lot of a lot of it's saying he's going to get go to the Giants. A lot of a lot of pre pre draft mocks are saying that. And and my thought was, there is no way, absolutely no way, on God's green Earth, I would ever set myself up in a position where I have to play, I have to compete against my child in order for his livelihood. There's no way I would put myself in that situation. I actually, as a parent, care more about my children's success than my own. I will sacrifice my own success for the success of my children.
Speaker 15: So Amber, on the other hand was like, screw my son, kick his butt. No she didn't say that, but but she was. She was on the other side of that arc. I'll let you make the argument, but.
Speaker 4: My argument is it's a game. I get it. But listen, I'm a type of person. I'll feed my child before I get to eat. Yeah, and so that's there's no question. Good parent, there's no question about it. Your kid goes first. But in something like this, I don't think it's as serious as you denying to take your job where at the end of the day, Yes, it's your job and all of it, but we see it like it's a game. And I'm not saying it's just a game, but you have what is it? It's eighteen games? You got what sixteen sixteen other games where you can win and.
Speaker 5: Be fifteen because he'd be playing him twice if he's at the time twice a year.
Speaker 2: Oh, we're finding feel.
Speaker 4: I blur that out. I was just counting with It is.
Speaker 6: A game, but it's also a career, and especially in this business, if you can't win in your division, you get out that around the league.
Speaker 7: I think eventually that's what you know.
Speaker 6: Kind of led to h Daniel Jones's demise is that he couldn't win in a I don't know that that would be tough because one of you are going to have to be on the way out.
Speaker 5: And not only that I can't win, but whatever I think, I think I know my children's weaknesses more than anybody else on the face of the other side of their mother. Right, So if I am coaching against my son, then I have to tell my defensive coordinator, here's how you beat my son. Here's what he can't do, Here's what he doesn't do well, here's what he doesn't like. Right Because I know those things because I know him intimately. Guess what, there are thirty one other teams, thirty other teams out there that are going to watch that game and see, oh he doesn't like those things.
Speaker 2: Oh that makes him uncomfortable.
Speaker 5: And so you're not just affecting him in affecting him those two games, You're affecting him for all of the games. That's gonna affect his career. I just wouldn't be willing to do that, and I suspect Beyond would neither because what we've heard from Deon publicly is the only way I want to play coaching the NFL is if I get to coach my sons. Yeah, that's what he said publicly. Now he might have a whole different opinion behind the scenes, that's what he said publicly. So to say you're going to go the exact opposite and say I'm not only not going to coach my son, I'm gonna play against him twice a year in the same division, I just don't.
Speaker 2: I don't see that happen. As a parent, I can't do that. I wouldn't be able to do that.
Speaker 6: Not just that the only head coach that Shador Sanders has ever known is deonce right, going back to the little league, to high school, to college, both colleges, and you know, now he's gonna have to play for a different head.
Speaker 7: Coach for the first time.
Speaker 3: What if okay, and I'm with you on this, Derek, but real quick, what if Shador played another position.
Speaker 2: Other than quarterback, other than quarterback? Because I do think it may be a little bit different.
Speaker 3: See that's what I'm saying. If I do think maybe if if if he's playing, say he's a left tackle, you know, and you're coaching against your son who's like an all pro left tackle that's that's a different thing to me playing quarterback is that that's a position that you clearly can affect him and it affects you. I would hate to because I mean, my son played high school quarterback and I every play I just prayed he got up after every play. I mean, I just couldn't and I couldn't imagine coaching against him and having free rushers hit him, you know, because we created a package that they missed the blitz pick up, and now my son gets just.
Speaker 5: Clocked and you're encouraging your defensive you're encouraging your past rushers go kill my son.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, this is what we're gonna do. We're gonna we're gonna blitz. We're gonna blitz Jordan Lewis as a free rusher.
Speaker 4: Just let him, you know, the way around. If anything, you're giving information to your son and helping him out.
Speaker 3: You don't know.
Speaker 4: But that's also what I'm saying. I'm just saying, like it could be the other way around. Like, if anything, you're helping him out in two games.
Speaker 3: If he's if he's not the quarterback, I think I think differently.
Speaker 4: Say well, you're gonna be better then than they are.
Speaker 3: Probably.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not saying that's not that's not even the point. The point is you are.
Speaker 5: You are actively taking a part in his demise professionally like you are taking part and trying to figure.
Speaker 2: Out how to make him less successful.
Speaker 5: I can't imagine a world where my job would be to figure out, at least for two weeks out of the year, how I'm going to get my child less successful.
Speaker 3: You're absolutely right about putting out film about him too. Say you have success getting guys home on him, and now the teams are like, well, let's say you play him this is his kryptonite, make him play backwards and send rushers and you know all that stuff. So no, I want no part of that.
Speaker 2: Let's go real quick. We got horse in Atlanta. Horse, what do you think all this?
Speaker 16: How you doing? Guys? I think that I would. I would definitely put coach to win. I mean, I would not try and take it easy. I don't mind that the fact that my son would be playing. I think it would be a blessing that both of us would be out there on the field. I would do my best. Now, I wouldn't tell I would definitely tell my defensive team look don't chief shot my son. You can hit him, but don't chief shot it. I'll cut you ass. But yeah, definitely, man, I appreciate the call.
Speaker 17: Now.
Speaker 2: I get that it would be a blessing that we're both in. I get all that. I just I would have a very difficult time.
Speaker 5: Wanting my kid to be unsuccessful fail ever ever, like I want them to be as successful as possible, and I would never do anything to contribute to them not being successful.
Speaker 2: That would be just too difficult for me to do. But a you do what you do.
Speaker 4: I mean, I mean, yeah, I mean, hey, I see it differently, But that's okay. That's fine. Everybody against me today, but it's okay. I can take it. I I see it differently. I don't think you should ever do anything to hurt the people you love or anything like that or screw them over in their career. But I don't. I don't see it as something as big as that. I see it as it's a game. You go in, you play, the best person win, and that's it, and that's that is.
Speaker 5: A fair I think that's a fair way to look at the world. I just think I would have a very difficult time to do it for my kids, like I just the relationship that I have with my kids, I would be it would hurt me. It would really hurt me to know that I did something that made them less successful because my whole life, their whole life, I have my whole objective. Everything I do has been about their success, their ability to advance, their ability to get opportunities, Like it's every like I pour everything. I come to work every day and work so I can send my kid off to college and be able to achieve all the things they want to achieve. So if that's been my whole life, I can't imagine a world where I can then flip that and say, in this scenario, I'm actually going to be rooting for them to not be successful.
Speaker 3: That would be very so's not going to be the coach here that I would.
Speaker 2: But hey, Deane may look at it more like Amber. I'm not. I'm not projecting that onto Dan it. He may look at it. I wouldn't know.
Speaker 3: I think you look said the way you do because he doesn't want to coach against his ca he wants to be on the same team.
Speaker 2: I would guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And also I think it's a lot about the relationship too, Like let's say if at his home, depending on the kind of conversation, if there's any inclination of let's say, my child not wanting me to do something or being like one hundred percent no question about it, that's let's send a discussion right here.
Speaker 2: But if those are they told you they didn't want you to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yea yeah, absolutely, that a thousand percent. But if it's a conversation where like it's let's say the kid is not a big deal or whatever, it's like, oh, let's do it whatever, and now it's like competition, you know whatever, then I don't see the problem with it. I think. I mean, like you said, it's a personal obviously a personal decision, but if he was to do that, I wouldn't see anything bad or think anything bad against his decision whichever way.
Speaker 2: Right now, I agree with that.
Speaker 5: I just it was more for me a personal thing, and obviously I felt very strongly but clearly, but I I can't imagine. I just cannot imagine that now. I think Brian kind of agrees with that, and that maybe obviously there are other parents out there they're probably looking at a little differently, and that's Okay, I'm not saying it has to be one where I'm just saying that that would be very, very difficult for me.
Speaker 2: We're gonna take our final break.
Speaker 5: We'll come back and I guess we will get back into some of these other coaches and talk a little bit about whether we think they will be a fit, or what we like best about them and what we think maybe the biggest challenges.
Speaker 2: We'll be back Dallas Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 18: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an lg O lead Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines, that's how clear it is. It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black, over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 7: No one comes close.
Speaker 18: Lg O led Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash o Leedevo.
Speaker 17: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. And Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge.
Speaker 2: On and off the field.
Speaker 17: Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, Gator utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agon Turf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit Unitedagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 6: If you shout how about them Cowboys? You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 7: The wins will be even tastier. It's a Pepper thing, and.
Speaker 2: We're going to overtime. Erica, how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 19: Questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial Assistant in the Bank of America Mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com Slash Erica by your Side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses may vary. Digital tools featured required dowloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Englis language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for qualit assurance. Message data rates and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a number FDIC.
Speaker 8: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew.
Speaker 2: At and T five G.
Speaker 8: Fast reliable, Secure five G.
Speaker 9: Requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 2: Back to the Break.
Speaker 4: At and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 5: We are in the final segment of the Break live from the SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Starless Continuary evaluation. Let's look at at Leslie Fraser. What do you like about the potential hire of a Leslie Fraser? And I want you to think about this from a standpoint of either an off either a head coach or maybe even as a defensive coordinator. What would you like about him and what do you think would be a challenge.
Speaker 7: I would like the idea as a DC.
Speaker 6: Looking at five of his last seven seasons as a defensive coordinator that spends his time in Buffalo and the tail end of his time in Tampa Bay. He's had a top ten total defense and three of his last four years in Buffalo he had a top.
Speaker 7: Two scoring defense. And that's it.
Speaker 2: Like thatly what matters.
Speaker 6: I think he has the head coaching experience he's been in the league since two thousand and three as a coordinator, as his overall experience in the league goes back further than that, you'd have skins on the wall, you have experience, you'd have a respective voice in that locker room too.
Speaker 7: I think he would be a hell of a DC higher.
Speaker 3: If we were going to hire a former head coach guy, I would have done the Pete Carroll one. I would have Pete Carroll is absolutely if we're talking head coach, yeah, and and and but the thing about with Leslie, Yeah, you could potentially the defensive coordinator spot seems to work out. Another quiet guy, calmdemeanor. Uh, has a lot of respect in the league.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, I think there's a there's positives with him that I think the experience. I think that you know, he he happened to spend the last year in Seattle with a really dynamic defensive coordinator there. If you start to talk about, you know, with their head coach and and what all they've done, So maybe he's picked up on some things there. I'm always interested about these coaches, those older coaches that go and work with somebody else and kind of get some ideas of how to attack. So as a defensive coordinator, I'd be I'd be more than happy with him having the opportunity to to talk with whoever is the head coach here.
Speaker 4: I agree. I think he he's shown to have the experience and again as the defensive coordinator. I don't know if I necessarily would want him as a head coach. And another thing, even though I'm more leaning towards like I like the defensive minds better after what we've seen with the offense here in Dallas, I'm like, Okay, is it more important to have somebody with that offensive mindset that knows better how to lead and what to do when time management and when to throw a flag type of stuff, challenger all those things like that to improve this offense in general. But I I like Frasier. I I think potentially he's more likely to land a DC job rather than a head coach.
Speaker 3: You know what, if you're gonna if you're gonna if you're gonna hire Kellen or when they say, guys, listen and you guys all know my relations We all have a relationship with Mike Zimmer. We all know Mike Zam, but he seems like the one guy that has a plan for how to play Jane Daniels, you know what I'm saying. I would kind of think about that a little bit, you know, I would say, listen, this, this looks like the future of our division is having to deal with this guy every year now twice a year. You know, how do you find a way to convince Mike Zimmer to come back on staff and allow him to do the things that he did say the last ten weeks of that season.
Speaker 5: Do you think do you think Mike is open to the idea of coming back or is it a situation where he really wants to just kind of.
Speaker 3: I know he wanted I talked to him. He said he wanted to be the head coach. That's not going to happen. Yeah, I really did believe though they have Cincinnati Bengals called about their defensive coordinator job, which this Al Golden just got he was at Notre Dame. I believe Mike would have gone back. His home in Kentucky is only really like twenty minutes away from the facility there in Cincinnati. I think he would have gone back and been real happy. He loved working there. But yeah, I you know, I I wish Jerry and Steven could convince him, But I don't know if his heart's completely into it. Yeah, and I think that's where you know, just hey, thank you for what you did. You bridged a gap, you know, Uh so yeah, it uh you know, it's it's it's unfortunate that they didn't have the success early as they did late. I think it might have been a different story here then.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think most fans, at least the fans I've talked to, seem to be okay with the idea of Zember one back coming back and wanting him to come back. Now, I just don't know if that's something that that Mike wouldness.
Speaker 3: Well, no, and that's yeah. The thing about it is, it's it's kind of crazy because you know, Mike and his staff did a really good job. They got Massie to play better, They got OsO Diggi Zua to play at a very high level contract year, they got Golsta played a really high year, a high you know effort and all that. He took some rookie dudes, but they did with Overshown and and and Micah Parsons. I mean there was some man. They did some good things with those guys. Several guys had correct they elevate and a lot of those guys it was a contract year. You know, they're playing for their jobs. But somebody coach those guys up to be better than they were. And I think you have to give that defensive staff some credit for doing that, even if they don't, if none of them come back, you know, tip of the cap for them, for We've been waiting for years for Golston and Osen those guys to play at a really high level, and they achieved that with this coaching staff.
Speaker 4: And Mike got he recently made comments about it when talking about whether he wanted to have him back or not, and he pointed out with dan Quinn how it was with him that the first year the defense was good, and how much better they wear that second year under dan Quinn is so similar to this of like running it back and seeing what a second year with the same voice and the same type of leadership would be like under Mike Zimmer and looking again at what he was able to make despite all the injuries that occur during the season and that second half of the season. And I love the fact that he also recognized and talked to the media pointed out like, yeah, I wish I would have started out a lot tougher from the beginning, And he said he was kind of afraid of like coming into this being new and just tapping on people's toes and he and you know, I love hearing when people say those things out loud and voice O over. I don't I'm with you. I don't think he would want to come back, but I would absolutely love.
Speaker 7: To have him.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll tell you something, Jeff Suguina the defensive line coach, he might have found something there because he was probably remember they interviewed Ron Rivera for the job, and Ron was in Washington. Or they get Jeff Saguina from the Gun from Washington, So probably Ron Rivera talking about, Hey, I'll bring this guy along, and all of a sudden, the Joneses are like, man, we need to research this guy. And he so they did play better across the front, and he might be he might have been, you know, nothing against you know, aiden dirty who went and left. But Jeff Kina got these guys. I would kind of keep him like, hey, listen, just hang in there, hang in there, because this guy might be the defensive line coach you need. If he could get Mazi to play better and these other guys to play better, maybe this guy needs to be on the new staff coming in here. Well.
Speaker 6: Greg ellis Canina from at least my interpretation was a lot more influential with the interior guys. Yeah, when you talk about Mazi oh so, even a little bit of Golston, even though Golston kicked out by the end of the year, and then ellis more so in so I would say, yeah, you see what you got to bring back both of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Let's talk real quick about Brian Schottenheimer. What do you expect from him or what do you like about him? And what do you think would be a challenge of hiring him?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think a culture builder. I think that would be the biggest plus for him. I think of all the candidates on the board, he'd probably be the best one in that category. As far as you know, is he calling plays? That's the question I would have. And if so, you know, just based on his resume, based on the offenses that he's put out, whether it be in Jacksonville's passing game coordinator, oh see in his time and Seattle and some other stops.
Speaker 7: Ran, I think this would you would.
Speaker 6: Have to have some concerns about the offensive side of the ball, but there would also be a lot of consistency on the offensive side of the ball. I think this would be kind of a situation where him and Dak would build the offense together and what does that look like at the end of the day.
Speaker 7: We will have to figure that out.
Speaker 6: But I think it's really dependent on who he would hire as a DC or who the front office would.
Speaker 7: Hire as a DC.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think the thing about it is, I think that he has I think his enthusiasm is really good, and I think sometimes, you know, I'm saying, I'm saying you need a raw rock coach because.
Speaker 2: Raw rock coaches will get got get energy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they'll get you beat too. But but yeah, but his his ability to relate to the players and kind of understand what the players go through in a daily basis. He's been here before. He understands the drill, you know, probably works well with the you know, we'll see what the personnel department as far as getting together the players, because we've talked about it a bunch on this show. As a head coach, you do have that ability to affect how they they get players here. So I would be you know, that would be I think a good hire here. Now, if you're one of those fans that I say this to you guys earlier, if you're a fan of Dak Prescott and you hate this higher Schottenheimer, shame on you, because this hire would be about continuity. This would be about keeping things the same way for Dak Prescott and C. D Lamb. That's what it's about. So if you hate this higher and you're a fan of Dak, then you're barking up the wrong tree because they're that now they're trying to well, am I am I right about you? That's what I'm saying you you could get You could be a Dak fan to be mad about the hiring, but they're trying to help your guy. Now, you people that don't like Dak Prescott, keep bitching because you know you could do that.
Speaker 2: It's fair, it's fair. You can keeping that.
Speaker 3: But if you're but if you're a fan of Dak, they're trying to make a higher with Brian Schottenheimer that will help Dak Prescott and C. D Lamb. So remember that when you start bitching about.
Speaker 4: Uh times at me.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good. All right, here's the deal.
Speaker 5: We I appreciate you, guys, joan us So we back next week next Wednesday. We'll see if something breaks. Keep stay tuned to Dallas Cowboys dot com. We'll keep you abreast of everything that's happening around this coach coaching search till then for Nick Harris. Brian brought us an Ambergarci. I'm Derek Eielton. This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.