Speaker 1: Native lamdpod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 1: Hello everybody, and welcome home, as we say on Native LAMPOD. I am your host, Angela Rai. It is Solo Pod Day and I am thrilled to be joined today by some extraordinary legal scholars to break down some very very pressing news in this country right now. Many of y'all have probably heard by now that the Supreme Court undermined a black appointed judge who is a black woman in California appointed by Joe Biden, who issued a stay in a decision around ice invasion. Let's call it what it is. Ice is invasion in Los Angeles. We know that Donald Trump has been targeting blue states and blue cities, and in particular cities that are run by black people. So of course the black mayor in Los Angeles is Karen Vass. They saw it as a victory and put Ice at bay. They put Ice on ice for just a little while. But yesterday the Supreme Court, under the guidance of Brett Kavanaugh, decided that the role of the court should not be in law enforcement right and So today we are going to be talking to some incredible people who I trust in this space and in so many others, about what ICE the new authority that ICE has because of the Supreme Court continuing to cave to Donald Trump, we do have some dissenters. Leading the descent in yesterday's decision was Supreme Court Justice Sonya Sotomayor, and of course concurring was Elena Kagan and our very own Katanji Brown Jackson. So I do want to get into this. This case is a Gnome versus Pedro Vasquez Perdomo, and I want us to talk about what this means, not just for LA, not just for DC, not just for Chicago where we're starting to see some interference. And joining me today is not a Jumfie, who, as you all will recall, is the executive director of Black Alliance for Just Immigration and also my favorite upcoming lawyer, A B. Tucker, who you all will know from all things social media. She kills it with great regularity, as she does it in common sense terms. So you're gonna be like, y'all will be like, what's a stay, what's a concurring opinion? What's a dissent? What are all of these things? What do they mean?
Speaker 2: And what does it have to do with me?
Speaker 1: AB can break it down to the lowest common denominator or like we say, break it down like fresh. So, ladies, welcome and thank you so much for being here. Native Lampard is always a home to you. What is going on in these streets? And this got you?
Speaker 2: What is happening? What is the Supreme Court do it?
Speaker 1: Now? I want to start with you because you you organizing us and getting us together and still show up glowing with the anointing on you. So there must still be hope somewhere. Thank you. Yes, there's hope somewhere. There's hope with us. That's where the hope is the people. So what is going on is that this regime and its supporters in the Supreme Court are getting on all fours. They have just decided that they're just going to be who they are. They're going to revive the techniques of the crash units at LAPD, the jump out boys of NYPD, we can go, you know, the torture the cops in Chicago, and they're going to say that all of that is okay because it's all right to racially profile people. It's all right to profile people based upon the jobs that they work at. It's all right to profile people based upon whether or not they have an accent. And you know, but also we're going to pretend that that's not racially profiling people, right, And we understand this specifically as black people, immigrant or citizen, because when we think about how our children ended up on gang databases, hello, when we think about the racial profile that had us being stopped left and right, stopped and frisked, stopped in our cars. The whole Black Lives Matter movement and movement for black lives is about how people are Black people being racially profiled and then ended up dead or injured. And this Supreme Court has said, yes, that is fine, and it's also don't worry Angela because you just have to carry a pass or a passport around And so when they stop you because they think that you're from the Caribbean, that don't worry. You just got to pull out your passport. When we know that we don't want our people to be under that pass condition and we can't. We got black folks that can't get a real ID. So who are we really talking about here? And I think that is just it. So I want to get into this Supreme Court case in all of its meanings, particularly around profiling. But I need y'all to put a pin in this because so I don't forget. But I also want to make sure we're clear about is that the Supreme Court ain't trying to use race in no other space where it's beneficial, but they do want to use it where it could be harmful, right like they are. They're willing to call out how many millions of people are here in the United States illegally or in an undocumented way at the very beginning of what they lay out as facts in this decision, But they do not want to talk about the benefits of using race and college admissions and using it in contracting and using it in hiring. They don't want to talk about it anywhere else. So I think that is anyway we need to get to that too, because I think it is that there's a way to tell people you don't belong without saying you don't belong. So I definitely want to talk about that. But Abe, let me come to you when you reflect on what you understand to be the case for me yesterday when you're breaking down sis. How do you how do you tell the laymen how this applies to them, especially the those who are like, well, I'm cool with ice on these streets because they don't apply to me. So how do you break this down to them? Okay, if you.
Speaker 2: Don't look white, then you should not be cool with ice because they may not be cool with you. Right at the end of the day, the decision specifically said, there's what ten percent of the population in Los Angeles is allegedly illegal immigrants from Mexico and Central America. What they said was is use your common sense. If I look at you and you look Latino. If I look at you and you're at home depot, right, and you Latino. I look at you at home depot and Latino, and you got paint on your shoes. I look at you. Your look Latino, you're at home depot, you got paint on your shoes, and your English is a little bit shiky. Come on to get in the back of this paddywagon real quick. Let me holler at you, right Like, that's essentially what they're saying, and it has everything to do with you, because even if it's not you today, it's going to be you tomorrow. Right. It was us as black people, as was mentioned, right when you think about stopping for terry stops came from an officer stopping a black man because a legend he looked, he looked suspicious, right, And then they came up with this whole idea of it's not really race, it's just you kind of look a little funny because of where you're at. Right, So it went from us as black people, and they was like, okay, as cool as black people, and now it's a whole nother population of people. But let's also talk about the white people from Europe that are here who've overstayed their visa, right, which you as well should be illegal. So do I get to look at a white person in their face? Right? As Elizabeth if she on the road right now, she said, I'm gonna go to the sea bass stops and look at white people and stake out if you're a school shooter, right, Like, is that what we're going? Is that what everybody's gonna do at this point, because that's what it comes down to. I look at you and I say, you don't look like you belong here, and they're saying they don't think we belong here. You just had a US senator from Missouri who literally said this not y'all stuff. This was for us. Our ancestors left it for us, and if we have it for everybody, well then it ain't for.
Speaker 1: Us no more.
Speaker 2: So they're staying at out louds. So you could be cool with ice until you're in the back of the patty wagon. And I think, can I just add to that, yes, no, go ahead, absolutely, because when we think about LA, for any of you who have been in LA, there are black immigrants here. You may not know they're black immigrants until you know they get killed, and then it's like nipsey hustle, What are these eritreans doing here? Right then you find the information. But that's not going to be the case in Chicago. That's not going to be the case in New York. That's not going to be the case in Baltimore. All of us are living together, and all three of us right here could be black immigrants, and that's at least what they're going to say. And they have all the federal agencies working together. And if you look at Kavanaugh's opinion, he talks about people reasonable suspicion for violating immigration law or federal law. We already see that playing out in New York, right, and the mean in DC wherever they're using everybody to profile black people, especially black youth. And that's what's going to come to Chicago and to black folks wherever you are across this country if this is allowed to stand.
Speaker 1: So on this, let's get to kavanav for just a moment, because Judge from pong I Hope I'm pronouncing her last name, right, who made this initial ruling from the Central District of California, again a Biden appointee, said that reasonable suspicion cannot rest solely on any combination of four factors apparent race or ethnicity, speaking in Spanish or accented English, being present at a location where undocumented immigrants are quote known together, and working at specific jobs such as landscaping or construction. So she basically outlawed with her ruling racial profiling, right or immigrant immigrant profiling, maybe not immigrant profile, racial profile. And let's call it what it is because some of these people that speak with these things, that are in these places are not undocumented people. So what Judge Kavanaugh does is say, hold up right to her ruling and say we're gonna let this whole appeal play out. And while this appeal, Trump's appeal is playing out, y'all can go on about your business and keep doing what you're doing, which is terrorizing community. Now, given the fact that you're in LA right now, can you talk about some of what you've seen as an outgrowth of some of this terror and what you're preparing for as folks shift their attention to Chicago. So just this morning I got noticed from some people doing court watching Criminal Courts Building downtown La. You know that building, several people picked up just as they're walking out of the building, they angela are already Just this morning court started at eight thirty am, you know Pacific eleven thirty Eastern Dome. They already picked depth, she said, tens of people as they came out, not asking them questions, not having warrants, just running grabbing folks that, as far as they were concerned, fit the description right and taking them. What this means and what people have seen and are continuing to see, is it means that people are being ripped out of, you know, their children's arms. People are being chased like enslaved Africans trying to be free in home depot down, the aisles of home depot down. You know, people are being chased in these agricultural farms. People are being having folks just show up wherever they think that folks could be. So the swap meets those taco trucks, like all the things actually that make LA kind of live. People are being grabbed up African vendors, you know, those vendors that are you know, selling their Louis Patan and all of that. They are grabbing those folks, and some of those folks that's the only way that our whole crew is able to survive. So what we're seeing is tears. We're also seeing defiance though, right, and we're seeing a lot of people helping out people. You're minding people what their rights are in that moment, trying to comfort people, getting their information, community defense. But what Kavanaugh has done because also to remember, when they do this type of shadow docket thing, they don't have to say anything. They could just say no. Kavanaugh purposefully did a concurrence so that he could lay out the way in which racial profiling should happen. And I don't think that it's a coincidence that this happened right before they claim they're going into Chicago and Baltimore. I do not angelatte A B. I think this is to let them know you can go after those Negroes the same way we've done god after these immigrants over here. Let me ask y'all this because this is an area that I've been honing in on watching some of the decisions come out of this Supreme Court. And it's a question y'all might not like me for, but we sister, so we're gonna talk through it. The question is on standing now. He did bring up standing in this concurrence, and he said that the challengers likely lack a legal right to suit known as standing, because although they may have been stopped in the past, they have no good basis to believe that law enforcement will unlawfully stop them in future in the future based on the prohibited factors. Now, y'all, the reason why I'm bringing this up is because I do think that historically we have been able to say we're gonna come at this proactively and given that this type of person wouldn't fit the mold, even based on what they've laid out as reasons for racial profiling like they would fit the mold because there's not an existing harm. This court ain't full of with it. I'm watching them time after they did it to AFG, so I'm like, why are we not responding with somebody with actual standing? Now you could say no, no, I can hear you all right. You could say, well, Gerde would, but Rodney's behind bars right now, get him. We need Rodney. We need Rodney. You know what I'm saying? Why are we not learning this lesson? Y'all might be mad at me. I'm telling the family business, but I want us to get better, So y'all help me. Why are we learning this lesson around standing? Who do you want to say? Hey, you ready to catch me out? Whoever feels I would say two things. I think I would say. Part of it is that this is why we have to have multiple lawsuits on things, because sometimes there's a wax on and a wax off, right, I think number one. I think number two, And I think it's important because and this is why you gotta center black people. If you notice there are no black orgs in this thing, that's another conversation, Okay. In terms of plaintifs filing et cetera. But we would bring in maybe a different kind of understanding of the racial profiling piece to be able to argue that a little bit better. I will say that if I was in front of the Supreme Court now, one of the points I would make is that your decision, Justice Kavanaugh, actually means that all of us are in perpetual standing because you have decided that these people can pick us up at any time. So unless I'm in detention and deportation right now, I have standing because you have put me as having standing. Thank you so very much. Let us continue to the next thing. That's good now, Nana. That's now, here's the thing that is the case now that was not the case when he issued the opinion. And that's what I'm saying, Like, I think that is brilliant, and you should say that everywhere, not just here on this podcast. Please go forth and say it everywhere. And also we're going to do the same thing. We might attribute it to you. We may not, but because you know, the Supreme Court might allow us to plagiarize. At this point, we don't know or we're going, but this is a great point, Like now, your decision makes it so that we all have standing. So now it's going to be about a million of us as plain on this next round, right, Like that's exact exactly, Yes, then that's what we should do. I want to hear, hayp what you got to fight me on it?
Speaker 2: Lit's hear. I just feel like we've been here before, which is why we know better, right, We've had to have these type of cases before, which is why I thought it was ironic to bring up the fact that there are no black organizations on here. We used to setting up a gameplay and having somebody ready to fight this fight. Right, So when you think about Rosa Parks, for example, we were brought up to think, oh, she just was tired that day whole time. That was plotted in the background because we knew what was coming. We were two steps ahead. I think we're two steps ahead now. It's just unfortunately it ain't our demographic per se, right in terms of the language that they used in this particular court case. Although we know that this applies to broader right, the broader of us as a whole. So that's my first thing. Second thing is I'm with you, go get right right and pooky about the pan real quick. Unless utilize this and do what we need to do to fight this right here, right now, before they start trying to find other things that beat us to the punch. What happened to is he did Kavanaugh tried to beat us to the punch and said, well, no, you don't have stand up because of this. Not thinking that we have the intellectual ability to think outside the box and go around your language. That's where you are losing. And that's why y'all don't want us to be educated. But it's too late, right you have three attorneys on the panel right now. We know how to think outside of your language. We were taught your language too, and now you're not using it properly to be able to stop us in this case, I too could be a plaintiff. Guess what, sometimes my English and all the way great off of comptent, I grew up around Latinos. Sometimes I got a little Latino accent. Imagine me get stopped. You get what I'm saying. So any of us at any point could be that. And we do need to start riding and getting ready to set up for that case, because as soon as they get to Chicago, said matter of fact, they already just landed in Chicago. Right then, the article just come out that they just landed in Chicago. We got about less than twenty four hours before we actually have a case that we need to start defending. We got standing now, yeah, and we need to stand in the gap. Speaking of standing, I will say, you know to this point, Abe, you take me back to what Malcolm X said, Plymouth rock landed on us, and since it did, we got to get this rock up off us.
Speaker 1: Nana. So let me ask you this. You have been also engaged in how to prepare Chicago for what's coming. So for those folks in Chicago who are watching or listening to this show, how are you telling them to prepare? How do they meet the moment? Given all that to ahead, So the first thing is to not be isolated. The first thing when you're afraid is you feel like, Okay, let me get into my little box or stay in my house, or stay under the bed. No, there are organizations that are doing such good work and working together. Like I am so proud of Chicago and I ain't even from Chicago, you know, I got relatives there, and I'm trying to buy into that, buy into the Chicago world. They have iSER, which is the Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights, working with groups like the Black Worker Center out there. They have churches that are out there. I know that our good folks, but that's the Jamal Bryant and Natasha Brown were out there right. So if they have national people, they have local people. Jump into that. Number two. If you go to Baji's website, if you follow us at Instabaji, you can get information about knowing your rights in various languages. Because again we know that there are black people, lots of black people. One out of every five black people in this country is either an immigrant or a child of immigrants. And so you can't have twenty percent of your population vulnerable and it doesn't mean something. Let alone mixed families, right, people that are married to people, et cetera. And so we have information, we have emergency preparedness information. All three of us right here should have a plan. If you reach out to me and you can't find me, I should have a plan for what happens next because I need Angela and Ab to get into gear. I need you to call Judith, and I need you to make sure that I'm covered right, and people should be doing that in Chicago right now. We are making sure that we're together, get in where you fit in, because there's so much to be done and they're so and I know that people are interested in making sure to do it because we're going to defend our communities. We're going to turn them back in Chicago, just like we did at the beginning of this administration when they went limping. The regime had to limp away sadly with their tail between their legs because folks did not let them come grab people up in Chicago like they thought they would. I'm telling you. So here's the thing. First of all, I love this podcast. Let me find out that this is the best Coast podcast. But my favorite moments are getting where you fit in and who and we're gonna be who righting on ice. So I love this because I feel right at home. This is all my slang. I just you know, for everybody who's home today, just know this is the best Coast podcast. Let me just you know, go to doves up real quick. Okay, I'm back on it. So I think that what I wanted back into now is we know and we say it all the time till we're buling the face. I'm tired of it. Elections have consequences. One of the chief consequences we've seen is what has happened with the Supreme Court. When we look at the constitutional crisis, we're in the fact that democracy and all of its things are at stake where we need to know for black people at home, as that means we're on the front line, whether we ask to be there or not. And so on this when we think about the strides that we made in twenty twenty around white people finally be like, oh my god, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: What books should I read? Write?
Speaker 1: And can my organization write you a check? Yes, we'll take the guilt. Money, will take the guilt reads. However, the guilt didn't last very long. Trouble don't last our ways unless you're black. So it did come back on that. It is existing again in the Supreme Court. We know they've been trying to tear up affirmative action policy for mini medi a year. They did it successfully last summer, and now here we are with them saying, oh, actually it's not colorblind. You can use race if you're targeting someone to deport, right, So can we just for a moment, not basking it because we are not at all excited about it. But can we for a moment talk about the hypocrisy and seeing race where it hurts but not seeing race where it helps.
Speaker 2: Well, they always see race when it hurts them, right, So when you think about education and getting in school and getting opportunities and jobs, right, it hurts them racially, So then they see race, right, the white person right when they talk about their birth rates are going down and things like that. When race hurts them, they are no longer color blind. But when it hurts others and it's harm for the others, all of a sudden, it's just no, it's just bad circumstances for people, and that's that's not right. Like, and I think that's why I'm so particular about talking about language, because I'm like, it's all in language and not so much in their intent, because their intent is to harm us. But they'll speak to us like, no, that's not what we just want to make it fair for everybody, okay, and this is how we balance out fairness, right, this is how you have equality, and you're refusing to do that. So quite frankly, they full of it, and like you said, elections have consequences, but they also have rewards. And I think that we as black people should be rewarded with the opportunity now to fight back and educate our communities and take our power back, because we got lacks of days to go for a little bit, right, and we thought everything was cool when we was kumbaya and it looked like things are progressing. But that's not when you stop the fight. It's when you're starting to get that progress and things are starting to move forward that you got to kick up even more and you got to kick and hide gear even more to get ahead.
Speaker 1: Of the game.
Speaker 2: And that's what we just didn't do. Right, Nobody to blame, that's just what we didn't do. So now let's take the reward of we have the ability to take collective action. We've already seen this playbook before. We got the playbook in nine hundred pages, right, we can split it up and figure out how to combat that, and we should take our communities back and take power in our communities. You don't want to educate us properly, It's okay. We'll educate them ourselves. And now we'll actually indoctrinate them as y'all like to say with the real and the real is these people are racist and it's all about race when it comes to them. Everything our laws are written with race in the center. So there's no way that we will ever be a color find nation. I'll leave it about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I would add to that. There's something that I remember Miss Sherlyn Eiffel saying that struck me. Not that it's the only thing, but that struck me when they struck down affirmative action education, and she said, you know what, that was our compromise, and we need to go for what we actually want right. And I think that is another opportunity that we're getting here, is that one of the consequences of these elections has also been that we've had to understand and remember what our power is and what we actually want right and so do we want DEI Actually that is a compromise that was to keep them and their mediocre cells. I almost cussed. Feel like they were giving us a space to be it we should be in all this space. Actually, we just want to be able to do what we need to do at our highest, fullest potential. And if that means that you all are not these other folks are not able to keep up there. You know, Kavanaugh, I drink beer, is not able to be on the Supreme Court. So be it, because you don't need to be there actually, right, And I think that on all of these fronts, in the front of immigration, I shouldn't have to be a citizen to live in this country. White people go they live in Ghana and they just live there and they have to become a citizen and they enjoy their lives because they get to have The Earth is their turf, happen. The earth be your turf. We were here first on this planet. The earth is our turf. And so what we want is a world in which you can live wherever you need to live in order for you to thrive. You only get one life, and you should be able to thrive right with your communities and with your families. And so that's what I would say. Yes, they say that there's no race here, they always are thinking of race, even when they say we're trying to be colorblind. As ab just pointed out, that's always a lie. But I think as we're pushing for what that means, we need to push for what we actually want unapologetically unabashedly. We want it all, brand new, socks, draws, pomp poms, everything, we want it blank blank too. That's right, that's right. I don't think I've ever heard socks, draws, and pom poms together, but I'm here for it. Okay again, y'all, this is the best Coast podcast. It ain't even Happy Hour right now, but it is somewhere. We ain't drinking on the clock. We were born like this. Okay, we come at it truth. We're that right there though.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if y'all have any parting words for our folks. I'm gonna urge our people. We always have a call to action at the end of our shows. I'm gonna urge y'all to go back and read this decision. I know that when you hear about a Supreme Court ruling, there's something about that that may feel intimidating. I want you to go back and read it, and I don't want to start you off in anger. So I'm gonna start you off with Sonya son on Myor's Descent. Read Brett Kavanaugh's concurring decision. Know that the rest of them hosts just said, nah, we don't like it, just go forth and do what you do. Ice. So there's nothing really there, but that concurring decision is important. And what Sonya Soda Mayors said is it also important because if they don't start to pivot in the way that Justice Soda Mayora and Justice Brown Jackson have suggested, we are in more of a constitutional crisis and much closer to authoritarianism than they would let on. So I would urge you to do that. Ladies, I want to hear from you. What do you want people to do at home? Go ahead, Aby.
Speaker 2: Now. Honestly, my big push right now is vote on November fourth in California Tribe District. Let's start there. But aside from that, like, don't get discouraged by these things, right, I think we did get this ruling and it does seem bad. Un Let's remember that this is not a rulin on the merits right, which means it's not like the meat and potatoes and the actual case. It is just some bull crap ultimately, and it can be fearful.
Speaker 1: But don't move.
Speaker 2: We shouldn't be moving with our hands down like, oh we lost again, because I feel like the Trump administration has lost more times in court than they want, right, And the more pro octave and the more allowed, and the more together we are, our truly do feel like the more change we're able to make. It may be small baby steps, but as long as we're taking those atomic steps, we gonna get somewhere eventually, you know what I'm saying. So we have to keep pushing back and just not get discouraged by this.
Speaker 1: I know it's a lot.
Speaker 2: I know it's overwhelming, and I know a lot of us don't even understand what's going on for us, so it's easy for us to check out. But do your best to just stay educated, stay in the know, right, follow stuff like this the Native Land podcast where we're speaking in y'all language and we're talking to you, right, like, keep yourself involved and just don't get buggled down by the bullcrap. Because we won before we could do it again. Absolutely, And I'll remind us that we are alchemists, so we actually never lose. We're like Naja, we never lose, Okay, we take the things. Even when it's something like this. It's a reminder to us maybe some folks were think that, oh we're safe. Maybe some folks are thinking Oh, it's just gonna be damn. Now they remind us, oh, no, this is how we actually think. This is how we're actually moving. It wasn't just about the price of eggs. It was about much more than that.
Speaker 1: So that we can be more intentional about how we're doing things together, right, got to ask folks to follow at instabagie to get more information because there's so much that we need to keep up with, and we try to do so in a way that connects us as a diaspora and black folks that are African American, black folks that are black immigrant because what this is is a white supremacist fascism that is targeting black people specifically. But they can't deal with our technology, which is us. That's why we always win. We're talking about a people that don't know the difference. They can't understand how bad could be good, you know what I mean. They can't understand how cool could be hot. They don't even have the fought process to keep up with our language, let alone to keep up with our moves, right, And so we've got to know that and know that victory is certain as long as we're moving together. Well, hey, b I'm surprised you can plug your She's I am legally hype. I am legally hype on social. Make sure that y'all follow her. She breaks it down, I'm telling you, and not a jump fee. I love you so much. You guys are the best, and I'm so grateful that Smith is legal. It's not even a legal hour, a legal half hour with some brilliant legal minds. We will be back because y'all, you know it's gonna be somewhere nonsense, So just get ready. We're gonna be the special legal panel, break it all down, break it all down, all right, love exactly, all right, y'all, thank you so much. Shout out to Nana, ed to Abu. We will see you also. Welcome home, everybody, and with that we out We hope you aren something today. Native Lampod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.