Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff you Should Know, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, and welcome to the podcast. I guess I should say beep beep and welcome to the podcast. This is stuff you should know. It's a love bug of podcasts, and the reason why is because it features Charles W. Chuck, Wayne Chuck, Tran Bryet.
Speaker 1: Is it a reference to my first car or just me just you you love bug? Oh? Okay, I got you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Jerry's a love bug too, but much more insect.
Speaker 1: Like this was my first car.
Speaker 2: I know. Is that why you selected this? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean I've always had a soft spot for the old VW Beetle. I had a sixty eight that my parents bought new in nineteen sixty eight, which, as we'll see, was the year they boomed in the States.
Speaker 2: Know, I do know that. Yes, I didn't know if there was more to your story.
Speaker 1: No, No, I thought, no, I mean, I'm continuing my story, so yeah, I just thought that you might react or something. It's fine. Then I later had a seventy five super Beetle Liar, and then I had a square back, a Type three square back I think it was a seventy five as well, and that was actually my favorite of them all.
Speaker 2: But I'm not familiar with that last one.
Speaker 1: You'd recognize it. It was sort of a it was it was their version of a station wagon.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're talking about the thing.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, thing wasn't a station wagon at all.
Speaker 2: No, I've never seen a Beatle station wagon in my life. Dude.
Speaker 1: Okay, Welston, you picture.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, that's cool. I guess it was roomy trunk wise.
Speaker 1: Oh no, not at all. It was you know about it. It was probably in the chassis of a Beatle, so it wasn't like it was big. It wasn't like the huge station wagons of its day.
Speaker 2: So it was basically just the the shape of it kind of was station wagon esque.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to send a picture right now, buddy.
Speaker 2: Please do. I don't have my phone near me, but I'll pretend I saw it. Okay, have you sent it yet? Not yet?
Speaker 1: Just say, oh my god, I have seen one of those.
Speaker 2: Okay, tell me when you sent it.
Speaker 1: Well, just continue because it's taking longer than I thought.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have a riddle for you, Charles. Okay, what do the foreign words babble? Cosinel Tortuga Subpito, Buba, and vo Cheeto all have in common.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, they are all various names in various countries of the Volkswagen Beetle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's long and short of it. They have nothing else in common except for that. But that's pretty cute. All of those names are pretty cute. And the reason why is because the VW Beetle is a very cute car, which is kind of a strange thing to say. If we were to go back to the fifties, old old timey, nineteen fifties, post war American suburban dudes would probably beat us up for saying that the Beatle was cute. Yeah, say no, it's an ugly car. Everybody knows that, and no one thinks that anymore. Everyone loves the Beatle. And that's the end of the podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good night, I sent you the picture. I'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Hold on, Oh yeah, I've seen one of those before. They're great.
Speaker 1: Well, I look forward to your real and your rear response later. But I called mine the Type three. It was a Type three square back. But the original name of the VW Beatle was a Volkswagen Type one, and the Germans themselves kind of renamed it der kefer K a umlaut fer, which is Beatle in German. But Volkswagen, I mean they kind of just took that name upon themselves because people were calling it that already.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they stole it from Dervaulk der.
Speaker 1: Volk, yeah, the people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it was der Volk who came up with the name Beatle, like you said, but it was der Volk for whom the Beatle was created, Chuck. Which is the reason why Volkswagen is called Volkswagen. It means the People's car. And that is the basis of the entire story of the Beatle. The whole thing was started off in the nineteen thirties, championed by no less than Adolf Hitler in Germany, I mean, where else. And the point of the car was to create an affordable car that the average German family could use on the newly built Audubonds, which Kraftwerk famously sung about, and which would also bring the German economy out of the slump that it had been in during the Weimar Republic. And I don't know if you remember or not, but we talked about the German hyperinflation many times around this time. In my twenties early thirties, and get this. There's a stuff you Should Know listener. Dave Kusten sent this to us yesterday. I don't know if you saw, but there's a stuff you should Know listener named Scott Seligman, and he created a like a search tool where you can search keywords and it will bring up every Stuff you Should Know episode that we mentioned, say the word hyperinflation in so that's how I know that it was in our episode on currency that we talked about that. So hats off to Scott Seligman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can people use that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So the URL is just too cluegy to say out loud, so I would encourage people. I think he posted it on the Stuff you Should Know subreddit, and that would be a good place to go. Get it.
Speaker 1: You should have made one of those little URL shorteners.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's legal to do that to someone else's u R l.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't know. I thought that was just a way to send out like, hey, just go to you know, keyword syskkeyword dot com or something and it would reader.
Speaker 2: Well. Yeah, I'm not that sad of each Okay, I'm forty nine years old. For PiZZ sake.
Speaker 1: Hey, speaking of that and craft work, that leads me around to this. Did you notice that I used craft work on your stuff? You should know birthday post?
Speaker 2: No I didn't. I saw that post. Thank you very much for super sweet, But no, I didn't notice. What was the craft work reference?
Speaker 1: Did you know I had the craftwork song playing to the post?
Speaker 2: Oh? I know, yeah, I never have my volume up for stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Which one I got you.
Speaker 2: A model? I don't know it would be appropriate.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure which one it was. I wish it was autobunding because I'd really bring this sing full circle.
Speaker 2: It really would. But still the craft work mentioned, I'm gonna go back and listen to it. I appreciate it. I'm gonna look at the picture of your your station wagon and listen to the kraft work song that you posted for my birthday. I appreciate that. Man.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's only a station wagon in the purest sense of the word. It's more like a stretched hatchback.
Speaker 2: It's too late, Chuck, you really built it up as a station You can't back title now.
Speaker 1: But they also had and you know this is along the same lines instead of the actual squared back that was oh what did they call it? Not the round back or did they the green back? I don't know, but they had a similar model, except if it wasn't as boxy. It was a little rounded, but it still had the hatchback.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm totally lost. Now I know about the Beatle, but that's about it.
Speaker 1: All right. Well, let's keep talking about the Beetle then, like you said, the People's car, We're going to tell you about the history here, because the history is a little complicated. And I don't mean like, oh, it's complicated because the Nazi Party, you know, commissioned it. It's complicated because there's a bunch of different people who they borrowed heavily from to kind of make the Beatle. Hitler and there are also, you know, various stories, depending on who you want to listen to, about whose initial idea it was. Hitler, if he were alive today, would say that it was his idea first and foremost, and he picked Austrian, a gentleman named Ferdinand Porsche mm hmmmm, porsche mm hmm, to design the first Volkswagen, and that Porsche came up with that iconic shape, you know, that round looking weird looking car for the time. I mean, we're so used to him now because it's literally the best selling car of all time by a long shot, that everyone's like, no, it doesn't look weird. It looks like a beetle. But back then it looked very strange.
Speaker 2: It did, and that was essentially the end of the story. Fernand Porsche came up with the design. He also came up with the the Beatles iconic characteristics, which is that the engine is in the rear, it's air cooled, it saves on space, you don't have all those tubes or whatever for water fuel, liquid fueled or cooled engine, and that it had real rear whale drive. So essentially, the Beetle was created a whole out of out of the first time out of the gate by ferinand Porsche under orders essentially from Adolf Hitler. That's like the story that most people know. Even Volkswagens like, yeah, that's not quite right. There's some other details in there that are a little different, and yet they still give all credit to ferinand Porsche, which, as we'll see, is misplaced. Really, if you drill down into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, supposedly it could fit for adults. That's the party line. Well, I guess that's really not the right thing to say there, although it was the Nazi party. Yeah, but you know what I mean, it's just an expression. Sure, but two adults in that back have to be pretty small adults. The backseat didn't have a lot of room, it didn't go super fast, but it could top sixty miles an hour. At the nineteen thirty four International Automobile and motor Cycle Exhibition in Berlin, Hitler came up on stage gave a speech basically saying that you know, I have called for the creation of this car, car of the people. Something it would be affordable, something that you can drive on the Autobon, unless you're Jewish, of course, because Jewish people were not allowed to drive on the Audubon. And the initial price was nine hundred and ninety reich marks, not Deutsche Marx but reich marks, which was about thirty one week salary for the average German worker. So not a lot of money, but a lot of money at the time for sure.
Speaker 2: For sure, but still affordable, right, I mean this is unless they made you pay it all at once, then it probably wasn't very affordable. The point was to make an affordable car for Germany and then also create what almost amounted to a national state owned car company, yeahs Wagon, and to create both this car and ultimately the company that made the car, Volkswagen. In nineteen thirty four, the Reich Automotive Industry Association was formed. And that right is kind of a giveaway that the Nazis ran this consortium of privately owned car manufacturers in Germany. Brought them all together and said, defur really would like you guys to get together and make this people's car, and if not, you will all be summarily shot, and so will all of your family. I don't know if they said that last part, but I think basically everything that was said in Germany during the thirties had that unspoken attached to the end of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, And you know, just to be clear, because I think I was probably confusing things a little bit. The two versions of that story is one Hitler said it was his idea, and then two Volkswagen said no, it was really Porsche's idea to begin with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that Hitler took and ran with it exactly, But I don't know that he is said to have given Porsche the credit probably not. But the upshot of it is that this consortion of German automakers hired for Nam Porsche to create and design and create this Volkswagen. So there's no question about that. Like the original Volkswagen Beetle was created by Ferdinand Porsche. What makes this whole story even more convoluted. You thought that was convoluted, everybody buckle.
Speaker 1: Up, Well, they didn't have seat belts either.
Speaker 2: Hang on to your oh shoot bar, yeah exactly. It gets way more convoluted than that because it turns out that Ferdinand Porsche either took credit for a lot of other people's ideas or just over time was given credit. They're kind of like, you know, the short sketch version of the story. Most people don't go into this much detail into the story of the VW. But we're stuff you should know, so we're going to do that. But there were a few people that kind of along the way contributed to the what would become the Beatle very directly. It wasn't like, hey, we should make a car and call it the Beetle. Their ideas were essentially taken and adopted and turned into the Beatle. Sometimes like as a whole.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it was. It's pretty blatant when you look at these designs and these sketches and drawings and stuff like that. The first guy we're going to talk about is Joseph Ghanz who was a Hungarian Jewish engineer, and he came to Germany after World War One, and from almost the beginning of the twentieth century, I guess it was like nineteen oh four nineteen oh five, people were talking about like a people's car. You know, motorcycles were the only kind of inexpensive way to get around, and they thought, hey, if we could get a car that's you know, not too much more than a motorcycle, it could actually hold a few Germans, then we'd be, you know, doing pretty well for ourselves. And he was a editor of a German car magazine, so he was he knew his way around the idea of like an affordable, lightweight, kind of smallish car.
Speaker 2: Well. Yeah, he also used that position to promote and try to drum up support for the idea of a German and people's car in the pages of that magazine too, which I think was Car und Driver. He even went so far as to design a prototype that he actually called the may Coffer the may Beetle. Yeah, nineteen thirty one, this is long before the Beatle was even called the Beetle popularly. And he had there was another car called the Standard Superior. Did you see a picture of one of those.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it looks like a Volkswagen Beetle exactly.
Speaker 2: And so the apparently that was based on one of Joseph Gonz's patents. So this guy definitely had a lot of contribution to the development of the Beatle. And we're talking, I mean nineteen thirty one. The Standard Superior is built. In nineteen thirty three the Beatles started to start to be built, and I think nineteen thirty four, thirty five, thirty six, So this is like, it's not like the Ferdinand Porsche was totally unaware of the Standard Superior. It was a car you could buy in Germany at the time. So you might say, well, why was Joseph Ghans not credited for this, Why wasn't he hired instead of Ferdinand Porsche. Well he was Jewish and he was arrested by the Gestapo before the Volkswagen Beetle was ever created, but right before it, so it was very easy for Ferdinand Porsche to be like Joseph, who these are my ideas?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. He was arrested in thirty three and fled the country in thirty four, and that was kind of it. He never got any kind of compensation or anything or any recognition either, even except for I mean us and other people on the internet.
Speaker 2: I guess sure, and that's what counts, right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The second guy we're going to talk about, another Hungarian engineer. I don't know what the little accents mean as far as pronoun pronunciation goes in Hungarian, but I'm just gonna say bella bargni.
Speaker 2: Okay, good enough? Sure, all right.
Speaker 1: So he also wanted to build like a people's car, sort of a small and expensive thing. This was like he was a kid, He was a teenager in the mid nineteen twenty when he came up with an idea for a rear wheel drived, rear engine, air cooled engine. And if you look at the sketch that he set out in nineteen twenty five, and this is what eight years before the standard Superior, even this thing looks a lot like a Volkswagen Beetle.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the Chess is exactly the same essentially, and then even the body he drew like a side view of the car and it's a Beetle. I mean, like he's creating this in nineteen twenty five, like you said, as an eighteen year old, and this one is so irrefutable that in the fifties he apparently sued Volkswagen and they said, Okay, from now on, we will refer to you as the intellectual father of the Beatle. Could you definitely lay down all the stuff that later became the Beatle, even though you weren't given credit at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And he was like, does a check come along with that title?
Speaker 2: And they said nine, yeah.
Speaker 1: They probably did. It's interesting though, if you look at the I'm getting confused now. I think the Standard Superior is the one that looked like a Beatle ekscept the front end had a little kind of squared off center.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure about the front end and all the squared off business, but I do know that the lines were more right angled rather than rounded.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I think that's the one I was thinking of. Like what it looks like actually is people VW Beetles are highly have always been highly modifiable as far as people making them look and as we'll see later, like dune buggies or like this or that, and one of the kind of I never really liked them that much. But one of the kind of fun things you could do with the Beatle was put a little front, squared front end on it instead of that big rounded scoop, you know, a square front like a Model T forward huh. And that was something that people do to modify their Beatles. And it looks a lot like the Standard Superior that way.
Speaker 2: Oh like the hood, yeah, turning that Yeah, okay, I gotcha. I got your I wasn't I'm not up with the jargon and the lingo here I could Yeah, yeah, I don't know this front and end thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's where the beat is.
Speaker 2: I think the standards, right, I think the Standard Superior did have a squared off hood as the way people call it.
Speaker 1: I'm a front ender. My bad.
Speaker 2: And then there was one other guy too who was Austrian. His name was Irwin Comenda, and he's the one who actually filed the patent for the body that became the Beatle. This wasn't like he drew something along the way. He was working for Porsche. Porsche produced this design for this car, and the guy who actually drew the design and patented what the car ultimately looked like was a different guy. Yet if you just listen to all the stories, essentially it was Porsche Hitler Porsche Hitler overtime. V W would try to get away from that story a little bit, but it would come back to him. They had to finally kind of deal with it head on. Yeah, as we'll see. But in the meantime, Chuck, while we wait for VW to reckon with their Nazi past, I say we take a break.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back, all right. Earlier you said it was thirty five, thirty six or so, it was in fact thirty five when they delivered the first prototype. At this point it was the VW Series three. Dave helped us out with this, and he was keen to point out it was made from steel and wood, which sounds weird when you think of a car being made of steel and wood, but back then cars were made of steel and wood generally.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, And this was the prototype, but I think the the eventual ones that came out were made of the same stuff. And if you look at it looks like a cross between a beatle and one of the black cabs in the UK. Yeah, like those things, like one mounted the other, and then the The Beatle Series three came out. Sure. A little fun fact of the podcast, Hitler never knew how to drive. He never had a driver's license, and yet if you step back, he was like directly in charge, or not directly in charge, but he was overseeing this Like this, he knew what was going on. Maybe not day to day, but generally he was getting updates on the progress of this car and how it was coming. Like this was not like he said something at an auto show once and then from that point on it was kind of taken over like he had like some sort of hand in it, which is just crazy if you think about it, because I remember being a teenager and hearing like, man, you know, like the Volkswagen. It was like a like a Nazi car, the Beatle was or something.
Speaker 1: I was that teenager who owned it the time, so it was a little okay.
Speaker 2: All right, I was the one throwing exit your car. Okay. But you know when you hear those things, like in college or high school or something like that, as you get older, you're like ninety eight percent of that stuff is totally wrong. It's just off. It's sometimes just totally untrue. This is one of those rare ones that's not only true, it's even worse than it seemed in college.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you were throwing exit my car and sucking down your fan of orange.
Speaker 2: I was very confused at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So in nineteen thirty eight they built a factory in Stuttgart to start building this car, like, you know, this tremendous you know, people's car factory. The original like off the line edition, like for real finally was called the Volkswagen Type thirty eight KDF Wagon Big K, big F little D. That stood for Kraft d'ur freuda, which is strength through which is was a literal Nazi propaganda.
Speaker 2: Slogan because you associate joy.
Speaker 1: They named their car often with the Nazis, for sure.
Speaker 2: So their plan was this nineteen thirty eight. The plan was to produce one point five million of those a year. That is ambitious in the nineteen thirties, but that's what they were going for. They ended up producing two hundred and ten.
Speaker 1: Right, not two hundred and ten thousand.
Speaker 2: No, two hundred and ten two to one zero niner. And that's it. The reason why, in large part was because the war broke out in nineteen thirty nine. The reason the war broke out was because the Nazis started everything. Yeah, I just want to make sure no one forgets that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. And they immediately started sort of reconfiguring the the KDF to suit their military needs. So they came out with different types of Type eighty seven, which was a four wheel drive, and I guess that German officers would drive one. They had a Type eighty two, a Kubelwagen, a bucket seat car, and that was armored. It was on that Beatles Beatles like the band you get it, m It was on a Beatle chassis, but it was armored and so therefore safe. And I'm sure some of the higher ups right around in that one for obvious reasons.
Speaker 2: That one, very clearly to me, became the thing, the VW thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I knew one person in high school, Mary Francis Shepherd, had a VW thing, and I thought it was so cool.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it was cool, especially in high school. It takes some gall to drive such an unusual cool car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I admit you were a little bit the same with me. I was the only person with a beatle in my whole high school because everyone else wanted like a Mazar X seven or something.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, Yeah, yeah, so that they also had a modified version of the Type eighty two or Type eighty Yeah, Type eighty two called the shwim Wogan the swimming or swimming car, and you could drive around in the water with it. I saw a picture of some dude in his vintage shim Bogan like in the water, and it looks so nerve wracking. Like the water the thing is maybe eight inches above the water line. The rest of the car is below the water to comfort. Yeah, way too close for comfort. Apparently it went six full miles an hour on the water, and there weren't very many of those made, so I imagine that that dude probably paid a lot for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably so. And I don't know if you can. I doubt if you can still find one of these. But they had a during the war, they had some gas shortages, some fuel shortages, so they developed a wood burning conversion kit for that cube of Bogan, so the bucket see car. And you know, I'm sure you looked up pictures of this thing. It had a little you know, round hatch in the front of the car. What do you call that the hood? Yeah, and you would open up that hat like a wood burning stove and put wood in there to power this thing.
Speaker 2: That's how you remember, it's called the hood. That's where you put the.
Speaker 1: Wood, right, that's right.
Speaker 2: Those are slogan, and that would power the card, not through combustion, but through pyrolysis, where the wood was gasified, and then those gases would be transferred to the pistons to make them go up and down, and then make the wheels on the bus go round and round.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that was even possible, not the wheels on the bus, but I didn't know that you could use wood in such a way to power a card.
Speaker 2: It's kind of cool, yeah, and it did work, but it didn't work very well. Yeah, to answer your question, I read some article on it, and the people said that, as far as anyone knows, none of those survived, so you would not be able to find one of those.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sadly. So. In the end, while they were pumping these things out, what they would use was force labor they had, and this is another horrifying fact of the show. They were for literal concentration camps and eight forced labor camps on the grounds of the Volkswagen factory complex. And that's just like, that's his not only was it a Nazi car, like they were exploiting labor to make them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it gets even worse because Ferdinand Porsche specifically asked for forced labor to be assigned to build the Volkswagens because he wanted to keep costs down. So you put all this together, Hitler's directly involved in the creation and manufacture of this car. They use slave labor and concentration camps built into the automotive factory complex. And the reason that they're using slave labor is because the chief designer, Ferdinand Porsche asked for slave labor. VW eventually had to like face this as the world kind of continued on. People are like, guys, this is we have to talk about this because this is not okay to just ignore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you wonder, like could they literally arrest fer An end Porsche for this. He was held by French authorities at one point, but he was not convicted of a crime. But in the nineties, I think it was the early nineties, Volkswagen started a couple of different payouts. They paid twelve million German marks deutsch marks, which is about sixty three million bucks today to some of the survivors who were those forced laborers from that factory. And then about eight years later in ninety nine, Porsche actually set up a fund even they were like, yeah, you know, Volkswagen's taken all the heat on this, but it was really our guy, so maybe we should pony up some dough. So they ponied up five million euros about ten million bucks a day to compensate some of those same laborers.
Speaker 2: Yeap. So remember they only produced two hundred and ten of what became the Beatle What the type thirty eight, Is that correct?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think that was it, or the Series three, one of the two. They only produced two hundred and ten of those before during the war they changed the whole VW factory to a defense vehicle factory. And then after the war when they started to get back to business, it was under oversight from the British authorities. So it actually, in a really weird way, was the Brits who first fully realized Hitler's vision for a people's car for Germany.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was in their occupation zone, so it was kind of theirs. I guess they renamed the factory to the Wolfsburg Motorworks because of the Wolfsburg Castle that was close by and that you know that. I don't know if you would recognize it depends on how much you've been in like these old Beatles and Volkswagens, but a lot of them, like later on would be like the Wolfsburg edition, if they had a special edition of a golf or something.
Speaker 2: Even I know about that, Okay, all right.
Speaker 1: Good, But they would have that little symbol, this little castle with a wolf there on the center of the steering wheel, just sort of an iconic logo.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you might recognize it.
Speaker 2: Maybe is it on the hood.
Speaker 1: I don't know what that is.
Speaker 2: So with the Brits, they made twenty thousand of those things, twenty thousand essentially Beatles in nineteen forty six alone, but all of them were to be used by Allied occupation forces in Germany at the time, right, So they weren't the people's car yet, it wasn't and I think the Brits ran it from nineteen forty five to forty nine. In nineteen forty nine they finally handed it back over to the West German authorities, and in the interim, I think nineteen forty eight, they hired the guy who would essentially be who you could truly call like the real actual father of the VW Beetle, a guy named Heinz Nordhoff, who took the control of this factory and like ran with it and introduced the Beetle to the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, he really ramped up production. He was a very experienced car maker. He made the car a little better, I think, gave it a little more horsepower, but you know that's that's not saying much because the Beatle was never known for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would actually cough sometimes, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He gave it hydraulic brakes, which is pretty good, and chock absorbers, but again, none of that stuff was like it was always a car that felt a little janky to drive.
Speaker 2: I remember you talking about yours, and the heater was redirected waste heat from the engine on your ankles, is that correct. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They just had these little events down on the floorboards, and we call them ankle burners because it would just pump heat directly from the engine right out to your feet and it would ultimately heat the car, but it would scortch the ankles.
Speaker 2: Was it bad enough that you could smell the hair on your legs burning?
Speaker 1: I didn't have hair on my legs then.
Speaker 2: Okay, so, but it didn't have ac at all, did it?
Speaker 1: No? I know that some of the super Beetles did later, and I don't think my super Beetle did though, but my sixty eight definitely did not. It was two sixty air, which you drive sixty miles an hour and roll down two windows. Not a dad joka, that was a joke I heard.
Speaker 2: Back then, Okay from a dad probably. So heinz Nordoff, he comes in, he takes over and he's like, look, there's a lot of stuff we can do. Like you said, we can update the car. The problem is, we can sell a million of these in Germany, but German marks are so devalued right now because of the fallout of World War two that we need to get some dollars in here. And the way that you get dollars or start selling them in America. So he tried that and it did not go very well at first, in large part because America was like, that's a Nazi car and you're probably a Nazi trying to sell us a Nazi car. And by the way, your stupid Nazi car is ugly as sin. Get out of here, Nazi. Yeah, And Heinz Nordoff was like, well, let's try this again in a year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's all it took. I think the first Beatle and it was just a single one that came to America was in nineteen forty nine. It was a Dutch car dealer named Ben Pond and he had to sell that thing for like whatever he could get, just so he could go back home, like you know, Transatlantic sale back home that He's like, all right, I barely sold the one car, so it's probably not a good idea to buy a bunch of these. But like you said, just one year later, in nineteen fifty, there was a dealer named Max Hoffman, a foreign car dealer that ended up selling three hundred and thirty Volkswagens to dealerships that were selling Porsches and Jags other foreign cars. So it fit in just a little better and doesn't look that much different. You know, those old bathtub Porsches, you know, the design isn't that different than the BW beetle. They're very round and sort of buggy looking.
Speaker 2: That's true for sure. So I think in nineteen fifty they sold three hundred and thirty of them. Yeah, in nineteen fifty five they sold thirty two thousand, six hundred and sixty two of them. And one of the reasons for the huge leap forward, especially considering when the year before they sold nine thousand, was that Volkswagen of America was formed, so essentially an extension of the America conversion of Volkswagen was formed, and that really kind of helps streamline importing, setting up dealerships, moving cars to those dealerships, getting car salesmen to step away from their chicken fingers in the break room and actually go out and sell the cars for once in their life. Yeah, that's really all those factors put together are what helped them start selling beetles like crazy in the mid fifties.
Speaker 1: Should we take a break?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: All right, good, because I got a cliffhanger. A very key thing happened in the mid fifties to really ramp up sales of these. We'll talk about that right after this.
Speaker 2: So, Chuck, you left everybody hanging. You said that you had a Cliffhanger about something that happened in the fifties that really kind of revd the beadle up into hyper drive, which I think is a thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I said mid fifties, it was really nineteen fifty nine. And anyone that has been around the advertising industry or even knows a little bit about it or watch mad Men, knows that there was a series of brilliant, brilliant ads brought forth by the DDB and almost aid insurance agency ad agency that I hate to say this, but they leaned into what people didn't like about the Volkswagen and tried to make that a selling point, and they did so to tremendous success.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a real game changer. Yeah. So this I mean, like everybody in advertising knows about this, and a lot of people outside of advertising know about because it's just talked about so much. And the reason why it was a great ad campaign just visually speaking, they used all sorts of different techniques that were very much different than than what you would normally find to sell American cars, which were huge land yachts at the time. This is the I think the first compact car that America ever encountered, but like you said, they they really kind of took some of the criticisms of the Beatle and turned them into selling points. One of the first things they said was that it's ugly, but it gets you there. So this this was just one example of what came to be called an anti ad campaign. It was like the what was that Paul Reiser movie from the eighties where he like just turns the ad world on its head by just speaking the truth about the products he's selling, you know, the one? No, yeah, what it was like an ad for Volva was there. They're boxy but they're good.
Speaker 1: I don't remember that movie.
Speaker 2: I can't remember what it was called. It doesn't matter, but it was basically a movie based on this, even though they would it was never to be like a fictionalized version of it. They just I think it gave the screenwriter an idea, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll get you. One of the ads became, and I guess it was the most famous one. It's not the one I think at first, but it was named ad of the Century by ad Age. It was it just said think small. And the one I remember most specifically was and not by seeing it you know, live obviously because this was before my time. But I just remember seeing I guess reading about or something. But it was just a picture of the VW Beetle and it said Lemon underneath it. Oh yeah, yeah, which Lemon is, you know, a car that's kind of sucks.
Speaker 2: Right, So I'm not sure what they were going for with that. Can you explain?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know. I mean the same as the other ones that say ugly is only skin deep. You know, they were just sort of playing upon people it was ugly or saying it was you know, I don't know if people were saying it was a quality car, because Lemon definitely indicates like it doesn't run well. So that was a real sort of extra brave, I think, even compared to the rest.
Speaker 2: I mean even I don't get that one at all. It doesn't make any sense to me. I'll have to go look further into it.
Speaker 1: What's your search, norm? Can someone explain to me why they.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll write it out exactly like that.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I don't think it's that much different than saying it's ugly.
Speaker 2: No, it is, because ugly, it's like, that's all just a point of view it's it's subjective and really, ultimately, if the car runs, well, a lot of people don't care what it looks like a lemon. Everyone cares that the car is not going to run. Well, it does not. It makes no sense to me whatsoever, But I'll figure it out on all report back. How about that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well maybe that's why I remembered it because it didn't make.
Speaker 2: Any sense, right, But yeah, and I guess you ended up buying one, so there you go. Uh, well, my favorite one was lived below your means.
Speaker 1: That's pretty fun. But who wants to do that?
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you who wants to do that. People who essentially were the basis of the counterculture, the people who were the beats a few years earlier, sorted to grow up, started to go to college, were very highly educated, but still did not want to follow in the exact steps of their parents, and the beetle kind of gave them a well, a vehicle out of their parents' shadow to kind of forge their own path. It was basically a finger to the crew cut. Buying a Beetle was in the early sixties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's very weird that my parents bought one brand new in sixty eight because they were not that at all. My dad was the crew cut like literally, yeah, And I don't know, they weren't counterculture, like I have no idea. Maybe, I mean, maybe my mom thought it was cute, maybe my dad did. I have no idea. I'm gonna have to ask my mom about that. But cost wise, it's probably because of the cost, because they didn't have a lot of money, and in nineteen sixty four, you could get a Beetle for one five hundred and sixty five bucks compared to about twenty four hundred four Ford Mustang at the time, or close to seven grand for a convertible Lincoln Continental. So it was definitely affordable and I'm sure that's probably why they got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so they started selling a ton of these things. In nineteen sixty eight, they sold four hundred and twenty thousand just in America, and by this time, by this year around the world, it was the best selling car in the world. This was twenty years after Heinz Nordoff took over. So we went from essentially this Nazi car to the best selling car in the world in two decades, which is quite a feat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, just a year after that, it got a big bump when Disney came out with the love Bug movies. The initial one was just the love Bug and Herbie, of course, was the name of that sixty three beetle that If you haven't seen those movies, they're like those sixties early seventies Disney movies are kind of fun, but they're not great. But Herbie was definitely a lovable car. And you can still see Herbie versions driving around with the two off center stripes. Yeah, and whatever the number in the circle was, I can't remember what it's racing number.
Speaker 2: Was, sixty three or fifty three.
Speaker 1: Well, it was probably sixty three because it was a sixty three Beatle.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Okay, I'm more of a Snowball Express man myself. Have you ever seen that one? No, it's a good one. Okay, okay, just check that one out and thank me later.
Speaker 1: I bet this stuff is all on the Disney app don't they have all their classics on there.
Speaker 2: Snowball Express for sure, watch that one and then watch the North Avenue Irregulars.
Speaker 1: Those are but I do remember that one. I love that movie.
Speaker 2: Okay, So if you love North Avenue Regulars, there's a good chance you're going to like Snowball Express, I guarantee it.
Speaker 1: One thing about the movie, though, was it was a It wasn't a radio controlled car, like it's driving around by itself. That's whole concept that this is a car is kind of alive. And you might think, oh, cool, they figured out how to remote control this car. It was actually a movie making trick where they have somebody down out of view of the windows, kind of in the back seat, like a stunt driver driving that thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we say that because there's a bunch of people on the internet saying this is, what's the world's first self driving car? And they're just wrong, wrong, wrong.
Speaker 1: Oh, I didn't know that people claim that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wrongly? What about what about Mexico? Chuck, because it turns out that Mexico and the beetle go hand in hand. I didn't know that, though, Oh you didn't know that. No, I mean, I know, I didn't. I'm not going to even try to bs my way out of it. I did not know that.
Speaker 1: I am surprised that you've been to Mexico City and that you did not notice the inordinate amount of VW beetles driving around.
Speaker 2: I just saw forest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I was kind of one of the things I was looking forward to when I went to Mexico City for the first time because I heard they were just like VW beetles everywhere, and there are because they were made there until two thousand three, which is remarkable. Like you can buy a two thousand and three you know, final year edition Mexican Volkswagen Beetle. I went online immediately, and like you can buy one for like fifteen grand that I saw that was looked to be in pretty good shape. And that's kind of all I want now.
Speaker 2: Okay, good to know somebody's got a birthday coming up in Yeah. They they actually the factory in Pueblo, Mexico, which was the first plant outside of Germany, or the largest plant outside of Germany. It outlasted the one in Wolfsburg, I think the one in Wolfsburg shut down or the sorry, yeah, the one it was in Stuttgart, the Wolfsburg plant in Stucart it shut down in nineteen seventy four, and like you said, the Mexican plant kept going until two thousand and three.
Speaker 1: So amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again they stopped selling new beetles in the States in nineteen seventy nine. But Latin America is like, we still love them, so keep them coming Mexico in Mexico staid right.
Speaker 1: On, Yeah, for sure. I mentioned earlier sort of the dune buggy conversion that some people have done. The initial guy, I guess, or I don't know if he was the first one, but the guy that really got famous for it was a California kind of car guy and racer named Bruce Myers, and he was a dune buggy guy. He built a kit car using a beatle chassis and kind of reconfigured the shell. If you've ever seen like Wonderbug the Sid Marty Croft show from the nineteen seventies, it's that kind of dune buggy. But it was called the Myers Manx, very very popular, especially in California. After he won the Baja one thousand and one of those in nineteen sixty seven. And I went to the Myers Manx website. They are building a new one, the first one in decades. It's called the Manx two point zero EV, and it is did you see this thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I did. They're amazing.
Speaker 1: Oh man. I immediately was like, should I put a deposit down on this thing. It's like five hundred bucks to put down a deposit, right, seventy four thousand dollars starting price. So I immediately was like, oh, I don't think so, all just admire them.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah. They had another one. I can't remember what it was called, but it was like one hundred and twenty five grand starting or something. These are like these are like doom buggies, electric doom buggies essentially, and I'm not sure that they go off road. I didn't have that impression.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I mean I think it's gonna if it's a Manx, it'll it'll do all you want.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, it's good.
Speaker 1: So it's got a pretty it's because it's so small, it's gonna have a limited range, like one hundred and twenty five miles. But if you're a listener out there and you end up getting one of these, I will meet you wherever you are in the United States to ride around in it with you. Oh cool, you go putting out that offer.
Speaker 2: Right now, I think we should talk about a few a few stats, a few records that VW put out. Sure, Well, one thing was that they they kept kind of upgrading or updating or tweaking the in all sorts of ways. But if you really look at the first Bug that came out in the forties and you look at the Bugs that were produced until two thousand and three, they don't look very different. It's essentially the same car, which is why it's considered the longest selling car of all time. It's the greatest selling of all time. I think they sold a twenty one million plus Beetles over the production run. But it's like it was essentially the same car, and so they would tweak it and release these limited editions once in a while. One was the Sports Bug, one was a bi Centennial Bug, and then there was one that came out in nineteen seventy seven called the Champagne Edition. And I looked into these and it seemed like maybe they had like a different exclusive paint color, or there was a slight tweak to the trim package or something. The Champagne Edition came with a coke mer and a vacuum shaped metal straw, but other than that, they seemed like just regular Beetles. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, it was a convertible, but there were other convertibles. I always wanted a convertible to because you know, back in those days with the Beatles, it was just like a couple of twists of a knobs and then you manually just sort of threw it back over your head. Never was able to get a convertible, You're right about. The body style never changed. The tail lights would change shape a little bit here and there, and that's kind of one of the ways you could tell what year it was. Okay, but other than some sort of headlight tail light stuff, it was basically the same shape. Even through the Super Beetle. They might have been a slightly different shape. They were a little bit bigger, I think, yeah, but not much because I had a super Beetle and it's not like it was roomy, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you had to be paying attention to probably spot the difference between a beetle and a super Beetle unless they, yeah, park next to each other, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. But VW Beetle owners and are still very much known for being very into them and sort of knowing that kind of stuff is sort of like it wasn't just a car usually, it was like something that you adored and we're into and you could get parts cheap, and you know, generally work on it yourself, because when you looked at that engine, it looked like it had like nine or ten parts totally. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And apparently VW dealerships kept all parts in stock from all years. Essentially they had huge, huge stockpiles apart, so you could always be like, well, I can at least go get this thing fixed pretty cheaply.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, and we should probably close with a car that you owned, or at least a bought that thing, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was Yumi's car, the new Beetle. Yeah, it was cute.
Speaker 1: Didn't surprise me. It was super cute and it just fit you mean to a t.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, she would do donuts in that thing all day long. It had the best like turn radius.
Speaker 1: Oh really really, I mean yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Would turn fine. But she didn't actually do donuts as far as I ever knew.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I knew that part was true, but I thought it had like a noted turn radius or something. No, okay, you just got me on that.
Speaker 2: I did. But one thing it did have, Chuck, was a little vase, a little flower vase next to the steering wheel. Do you remember that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very cute, and they I think they look pretty cool. I wish they would have made it a little more traditionally looking like a bug like. The couple of things that bothered me, and this is nitpicky as a beetle guy, was the flush headlights and the flush tail lights. I always love that they stuck out before. But aside from that, I think they honored it quite well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they did an update in twenty eleven that I thought was pretty cool too.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I saw that one. I'll have to look that one up.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you look that up. I'm going to look at the text of your square back Beetle station wagon. Yeah, I'm going to look up that lemon that confusing lemon add okay, And there might have been something else, so I'll have to go back and re listen to this.
Speaker 1: Well, I got one more quick little thing because if you have ever been in a Beetle or owned one, and this is something I didn't know until Day pointed this out, there's a very particular smell that when I stick my head in a Beetle, it's just like it zaps me back. It smelled like no other car made on the interior, and apparently that came from the cushioning of the seats. It was made out of coconut hair, and I remember seeing that coconut hair like falling out from under my seats and stuff, But I never knew that was what the smell was due to.
Speaker 2: Did it smell like coconuts or it just had this distinct smell.
Speaker 1: Just a distinct smell. I think it was the vinyl combined with that coconut hair. It was just super super distinct.
Speaker 2: Very nice. Well, I guess, well, Chucks, do you have anything else?
Speaker 1: No, that's it.
Speaker 2: Well, since Chuck started nostalgizing, then he just accidentally triggered listener mail.
Speaker 1: That's right. I'm gonna call this, I guess a follow up on Madman Mounts because this is a pretty fun email. Hey guys, A big fan of the show. I was very excited listening to the topic on eight tracks and was thinking silently, they better mentioned months. They better mentioned months because Earl Madman Muntz was born here in Elgin, Illinois. He led a very colorful life, and his part of the A Trex story is only small portion of that wildlife. He was an innovator in giant screen televisions, cellular telephones for cars and satellite receivers. He started as a car salesman and this is the basis of the typical crazy used car salesman thing. And one of his slogans was, I buy them high and sell them low. It's more fun that way. Don't tell missus Munts. And she pointed out he failed to mention what Missus Munds he was talking about, because I think he had seven wives.
Speaker 2: I think I saw that when we were doing the eight track research. What that ad no, that he had had seven marriages.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, you know, I'm not one to blame a divorce on a person, but if you've been married seven times, you may be the problem, you know.
Speaker 2: Sure he would.
Speaker 1: Smash cars with sledgehammers, where a tricorn hat with red long John's So he was you know, he was supposedly invented the wacky car salesman guy routine.
Speaker 2: It's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: So mad been months will be the subject of the Elgin History Museum's podcast Echoes of Elgin on August first of this year. If you want to learn a little bit more, and this is coming from Rebecca Miller, who is the museum educator at the Elgin History Museum.
Speaker 2: Very neat. Thanks a lot, Rebecca Chuck. I have to say I have a terrible feeling that we're going to get a lot of follow up emails saying it's pronounced Elgin.
Speaker 1: Oh is it Elgin?
Speaker 2: I don't know, but I could just totally.
Speaker 1: See it all right, Well, just pretend I said Elgin.
Speaker 2: If that's the case, we'll have Jerry go edit hard g's into all the time, she said Elgin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, instead of giving her full read, I'll just go, yeah, Jerry, Yeah, just lace that in.
Speaker 2: If you want to be like Rebecca and bring us up to speed on somebody we just kind of mentioned but really walked past. Love that kind of thing. You can do what Rebecca did and send us an email. Send it off to Stuff podcast at iHeartRadio dot.
Speaker 1: Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts myheart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.