Speaker 1: Diamond. What do you have?
Speaker 2: Oh wait, how about I turn on your microphone? Professional, go for it.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is a and iced It's supposed to be an oat milk brown sugar shaken espresso, but I took the oat milk out and put non fat milk, okay, because I'm allergic to oats and it's very strong. Okay, I'm a few SIPs in and I feel it in my bones already. I'm judry.
Speaker 1: Okay, So a couple of things. What's up?
Speaker 2: It's sauce on the side. Thanks for joining. We have kind of something different happening today. It's gonna be a little I don't know if it's gonna be weird or not.
Speaker 1: We'll see.
Speaker 2: Because one our guest is outside of someone I think we would normally talk to. It's a person from the White House and she's joining us via zoom. So I feel like anything could happen. It could go well, it could go terribly wrong.
Speaker 1: We'll see.
Speaker 2: But you were talking about your allergies, and I don't know if we've ever really gotten into Have we gotten into all your allergies on the episode that we did.
Speaker 1: With Juste you to do?
Speaker 3: We may have.
Speaker 1: We may but I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 3: That's like one of my go to things that everyone makes me talk about.
Speaker 2: So we may have, but let's not talk about it. Then if you die, you die. You know, A yolo oat milk not for you. You know what I haven't been doing lately. I don't think anybody's noticed. I stop drinking caffeine and coffee and stuff in the morning. I just do water now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I noticed that this morning, and I thought, what a loser.
Speaker 2: I know it's so easy because it, like man, caffeine hits me like a fucking train.
Speaker 1: But I just don't do it anymore. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like I'll just save my heartbeats for other things.
Speaker 1: Why. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I heard do you only have a certain amount of heart beats in your life? I've probably made that up.
Speaker 3: But still you need coffee. There is no life without coffee. Trust me. I do it every year for lint. It's not fun.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing.
Speaker 2: I can't drink black coffee. A lot of people can drink black coffee. I like cream and sugar in it. Yeah, and I don't know if started my day every day with cream and sugar is really a good idea.
Speaker 3: No, switch it up. Do oat milk instead, if you're not allergic to oats.
Speaker 1: I'm not.
Speaker 3: I mean that I know of oat milk is really good, but it makes my mouth felt funny, so I'm like, oh great, is it sweet? It has a sweetness to it. It's a good alternative.
Speaker 4: Come on.
Speaker 2: Apparently we can't eat anything that is delicious anymore because.
Speaker 1: Everything is killing us. We're all gonna die anyway.
Speaker 3: Just have fun, live your life, you'll okay.
Speaker 2: So the guest today, her name is Near Attendon, and she works for the White House. Apparently they reached out because they wanted to talk about how they're switching marijuana or they're in the process of changing marijuana from a Schedule one drug to a Schedule three drug. What does that mean? Well, we're gonna get to it whenever she gets here.
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 1: I am recording? Okay, Well let me double check before him. Goodbye? Thank you mean it? Justin Bieber? What does he mean?
Speaker 2: He doesn't know if we were recording. He's looking into the into the studio. It says in use, and we're both talking to microphones.
Speaker 1: Scared Jones.
Speaker 3: Everybody that's a very scary thing to do.
Speaker 2: Man, it would be actually kind of fun at some point to just do an episode with him.
Speaker 3: That man experience.
Speaker 1: He's Diamond's favorite.
Speaker 2: He he pushes her to a place of darkness. Oh, and now Andrew wants to come in. Like, Andrew doesn't know how recording works.
Speaker 3: Save me.
Speaker 2: We started recording Andrew home, No, because I know you're sticking around to do something that I want to do.
Speaker 5: Like what.
Speaker 6: Oh he told me? Are well I agreed to something I didn't know about.
Speaker 1: Oh, we got to talk about this, but I don't.
Speaker 3: That's not a good segue. But we need to talk about that.
Speaker 2: Andrew's here, Hi buddy, Hi, Hi Hi? Is it weird that that there's only one microphone for you guys?
Speaker 3: Should I move this over?
Speaker 6: I'm the star, So it's okay, hold on.
Speaker 2: A second, what I'll beat you downstairs? We need we need to talk about how this studio works because there's a light that says in use. And then also people can just look in and directly see us, and everybody stares through the glass like we're zoo animals, and then is like are you recording? And they try to have conversations with you through the glass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's actually very weird.
Speaker 3: Yes, grab it Iman of Zoo Animals. Andrew decided to act as one today. What do you do? Andrew canceled on a wedding four or five days before the actual wedding, which he r svp'd to. He said he was going. I think it's horrible, horrific.
Speaker 6: I agree, that's someone. Gandhi was the one that sent the text message because I had so much anxiety over into this.
Speaker 3: Your anxiety is warranted at this point. No, you knew four months that you did not want to go to this wedding, or that you.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't be able to go to this wedding, and instead.
Speaker 6: Of it's not that I knew, It's just that you know when you have a gut feeling, but it doesn't kick in until like a week after, or like two months after, maybe months.
Speaker 3: He All I have to say is the woman was very gracious.
Speaker 6: She was Oh she did, and she was super nice. And you already have dinner plans next month.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's beautiful.
Speaker 6: But Gandhi appreciate you.
Speaker 3: I'm letting you know that if it was anyone else like me, you would have been blocked.
Speaker 6: Don't be then, when you got the check with the gift in it, you would have said, oh, thank you.
Speaker 3: But you wouldn't have been able to respond because you would have been blocked.
Speaker 6: Well, I wouldn't ask you if you received my check or my honey fund. I would have just known, and then you would have taken my money and blocked me off. Some weird petty stuff that you're doing.
Speaker 3: Well, no, it's not petty.
Speaker 1: She paid for your plate.
Speaker 6: Right, sure, And I apologize, and I'm going to send a really nice gift and also I'm sorry. But as a bride, if you're really gonna stare at your guest list that hard and block people week of that says more about you than the people you're surrounding yourself with.
Speaker 3: Okay, great.
Speaker 2: I have to say I kind of agree with you, Andrew what se because here's the thing, Like, weddings are very much for the people getting married, and I think a lot of people make themselves this like you center of attention. Life happens to other people. It's not a flight at you as somebody can't go. If somebody's just like oh I just I don't feel like it. Okay, that's a different story. But when people have like shit.
Speaker 1: Going on in their lives. You can't make it. You can't make it.
Speaker 2: I know someone here who didn't attend a wedding of somebody on our show. This person just didn't show up to the wedding. That's kind of different. But I feel like if you can't go, you can't go.
Speaker 6: And it's better, in my opinion, to give notice and say, hey, I'm not going to come. Then just day of, the plate is paid for, the spot at the table is given, and you just don't show up. That to me is more of a slap in the face than coming up with I have the flu and I can't make it. No, that means you have a table with my number on it. I'm on your seating chart, and now what's going to happen.
Speaker 3: I would much rather you wait until the day before and say someone you know has COVID. Because this is the thing, is that the table is set. You usually have two weeks before the wedding to set the table. Your guest was to set you paid for everything. You could have said this two weeks ago.
Speaker 6: I understand that. And again I am putting blame on myself for saying I fed up. I had the anxiety over sending the text message. Thankfully, my friend is an adult and understood.
Speaker 1: Now I'm an adult too.
Speaker 6: Yeah you did send the text because I was too afraid to.
Speaker 3: It's like someone else is an adult.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: It's like people my family does it sometimes too. Maybe it's because they're Italian, but they're like, who's going to show up to the wake if they don't show up? And I'm like, if you're at a wake someone is in a casket in front of you, and you're saying, I'm taking attendance on who's coming to the wake, that's weird.
Speaker 1: Yes, maybe I'm Italian.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Diamond has very grudgy tendencies. Absolutely, But my mom, you know what she did the other day. So my sister got married a year and a half ago. At this point, my mom sends her a text message for the umpteenth time, I need a list of what my friends got you.
Speaker 1: Oh that's petty, right, No.
Speaker 3: Damn it, because I mean now, if your mom is gonna like reach out to said friends and say, hey, she better not I know you got this for Priya blah blah blah, then that is petty. But moving forward in life, I want to know what, you got my kid for her wedding so that I could give your kids the same caliber.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that that's what she's doing. But I'm like, oh my god. First of all, she's never gonna make a spreadsheet and remember any of that shit. So it's just gonna be my sister's responsibility, like when something pops up for her to be like, how much did salence?
Speaker 1: I'll give you.
Speaker 2: It's genuinely just my mom being nosy. I don't really think it's all that serious, but man, she needs to know. She has really asked my sister repeatedly for this information.
Speaker 3: Ye love that for her.
Speaker 1: I can't wait till Diamond gets married.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, we're making I'm gonna start my spreadsheet early.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: I can't make it.
Speaker 6: I'm sick.
Speaker 3: I will block you, like literally, especially if you wait until the blocked.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you guys this.
Speaker 2: So I have a friend who I told you guys was getting married in a different country. So I was going there, but something's changed. But I booked my ticket, I booked my hotel. Now for whatever reason, I booked both of them with cancelation available, just in case.
Speaker 1: Even though.
Speaker 2: The wedding is pretty close. So I text him the other day and I was like, should I do these dates or these dates? Because I booked two tickets because for the business class it was actually really inexpensive, which is crazy. So I booked two tickets and I was like, which one should I do? And he hit me back and was like, don't book anything. The wedding is can what's going on?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know. He told me we'll talk this week.
Speaker 2: Maybe they like shrunk the guest list or something and I'm just not invited anymore.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I was like, oh shit, okay, what is going on now? Here's my thing?
Speaker 2: Right, that happens whatever. It's not their responsibility to continue to do something if they don't feel it in their bones anymore. Yeah, but like this isn't a foreign country, not a long time away. I imagine a lot of people have booked a lot of shit to go.
Speaker 1: Well what.
Speaker 3: This happened? On Summerhouse this last season, Carl Lindsay was supposed to get married in Mexico. Carl broke up with Lindsay two months before the wedding. I don't know if it was Carl and his Yeah, Carl and his family still went to Mexico.
Speaker 1: You shouldn't marry people if don't want to get married.
Speaker 2: You know, if Brandon's friend did what, I might have told you this same thing destination wedding. It was in Mexico, everybody came essentially a weakish or so he decided he wasn't going through with it. He didn't tell the bride. They went through the whole wedding. He basically faked the whole thing. But you know, when you get married in a foreign country, you then have to come here and like sign all the paperwork. He was like, no, we're not signing the paper and I'm not getting married.
Speaker 6: That's sociopathic behavior, that's what he's said.
Speaker 2: I was like, okay, so part of me understands why he would do that, because everybody was coming, everybody booked their shit, everybody had a good time.
Speaker 1: Also, like you got all the presents from.
Speaker 2: Whatever people bought you, Like, that's crazy. But to then like to fake the wedding and she thinks this is the happiest day of her life. And then you guys come home and he's like, yeah, no, So what happened was I don't want to get married, Like what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is that what?
Speaker 3: Love and hip hop? Love and hip hop? I don't remember which. I guess love and hip hop New York. But she he was going to jail. Mendyce's was going to jail. They had the full blown wedding in the city, I mean, like huge wedding film for TV and everything, and she never mailed in the marriage license or marriage certificate because guess what, she didn't want to pay child support on his behalf.
Speaker 2: I understand that. I totally get that. So I feel like we already burned Andrew in the burn book.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, he's burned.
Speaker 1: But you know, it's cool about this.
Speaker 2: We should get Josh in here at some point because this is probably not happening. That frees up all of us for that vacation to maybe doing off the grid trip.
Speaker 3: Oh. I love that.
Speaker 1: Out of ten.
Speaker 2: I was just thinking about what I should do because all of you guys said you were available. Yeah, when let me tell you, initially Andrew over here said he wasn't available, and that.
Speaker 6: Woned October. I'm in Portugal.
Speaker 1: No, you said, I'm buck for all the vacations. I don't think I can do anything.
Speaker 3: Actually, don't forget he cancels last minute. Better fucking you may have had a vacation plan for August, but he said never mind because he didn't feel like going just the same way he did with this wedding.
Speaker 2: If Josh was in here, I feel like he would be triggered by this conversation because he got mad at me about a vacation thing. Not too long ago, too long, too involved. Do you guys think Josh is ever going to actually do his episode?
Speaker 3: No, he told me he was well book it.
Speaker 1: We should go get him and see what he has to say. You think he has an intern in there?
Speaker 2: Excellent, go disturb it it.
Speaker 3: It wasn't important.
Speaker 2: It's so important Josh, Josh, le's see if we can even.
Speaker 1: Hear him doing it.
Speaker 3: He's going to see around.
Speaker 2: Does he come back with him?
Speaker 5: Hi?
Speaker 1: Hi, buddy, come in here for a second.
Speaker 6: Is this your podcast?
Speaker 2: This is my stupid podcast. We were seeing if you're available. First of all, that air feels amazing. We're seeing if you're available to do off the grid in August.
Speaker 7: Tell me more, tell me more.
Speaker 1: Oh, we know right now. You just asked me to go. Yeah that I got chair.
Speaker 2: And and we were debating if you're ever going to sit down and actually do your podcast episode as discussed, what.
Speaker 7: Do you want to talk about if we tease?
Speaker 2: Okay, so we actually teased in the trailer. You're in the trailer for this show why one of my coworkers was absent for the entire month of November, and then we never ever got to it. So, I mean, at some point I feel like we should cover that why I was.
Speaker 7: Sick for the month of November. Yeah, there's a reason, hey know.
Speaker 1: And the reasons one of my favorite things.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so we were doing that, and then see if you're going to be on the podcast, So you're in for Off the Grid.
Speaker 7: My August is free. Yes, I could do it in theory. In theory, well, yeah, where are we going? What are we doing?
Speaker 2: We need to discuss it, Okay, we all need to get on the same page.
Speaker 6: I'm down, I'm in okay, Josh, Yeah, yes.
Speaker 2: We have a lot to figure out in like two months.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, fuck yeah, Yesked, if you had to.
Speaker 6: Drive, I could drive.
Speaker 1: D Andrew hit a mountain. Yeah, no, he really did, Josh. It was very scary.
Speaker 7: He ran into a mountain.
Speaker 1: No, he hit a mountain with an RV?
Speaker 7: Was it?
Speaker 6: I got us?
Speaker 4: There?
Speaker 7: Was it a famous mountain?
Speaker 6: Like? Yeah, it was in Sequoia National Park. It's a really high up hill. It was a thirty foot RV when I was promised to twenty foot RV. So I'm sorry, and I drove the entire time, so you're well, wait, wait, wait wait.
Speaker 2: I definitely drove for a little while, but it was freaking everyone out because I basically had to stand while driving short but also Andrew, they told us how fast. They tell us we can't go above seventy.
Speaker 6: Which is, let me just say the slowest, like slow pokes go down.
Speaker 2: Okay, But there's a reason they said don't go above sixty five because if you have to hit the brakes, you have the back half of a thirty foot trailer, more than half that continues at the same speed. Andrew would not go under eighty five the entire time, so I think you might have to drive.
Speaker 7: He almost drove off a cliff in Yosemite, like going fifty. They have like like the falling rock signs, and you're on like legitimately on the edge of a cliff, and if like one wrong turn and you're you're going down the mountain and he's through it like he's on the way to the Jersey Shore and trying to be traffic. It's just insane.
Speaker 6: And I got us there early, so everyone is welcome again.
Speaker 3: Yah no, No, that's all you want to Josh.
Speaker 2: Thanks so stud your episode next week, yay, I can't wait. Josh's reasons for being out all of November are probably my favorite thing in the world.
Speaker 6: Well, I have to go back and do work now as well. So hot in here, Andrew, you know you don't work because the AC doesn't work. It's all pumping out in there.
Speaker 2: Maybe you could work on that while you're fake working over your desk. What do you think he's gonna go do?
Speaker 3: Diamond, listen to Chapel Roone.
Speaker 1: That's your new thing.
Speaker 6: There's potential.
Speaker 1: You should check out abel Heart. That's my new thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, So back to this podcast. That's all over the place today, which I appreciate.
Speaker 1: Let's just get to near Attendon because.
Speaker 2: Definitely got some stuff to say which is completely unrelated to anything we've been talking about. And that's my favorite thing about the podcast. It's all over the map.
Speaker 5: Cool cool, Hi, can you guys hear me.
Speaker 2: Hello, Nira, how are you? Would you like to be referred to as Nira? Do you want to go by your full name? How would you like.
Speaker 5: To near as fine? Near as fine?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I describe you as Nandhi, Yes, okay, I'll love it.
Speaker 1: They'll call me by my lafe name. My first name's may Thea.
Speaker 5: But it's very nice.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I am How do I announce your last name? By the way, tand In?
Speaker 5: My dad totally americanized, Okay, this name.
Speaker 1: So I didn't want to assume. I was like, is it on the originally? Sure?
Speaker 4: I originally Tendon? Yes, originally tend In. But like I've just gotten with the flow of Tandon.
Speaker 2: We're here to talk with Nira Tandon from the White House about the reschedulization or rescheduling I should say, of marijuana.
Speaker 1: Hello, Yes, how are you. I'm doing well.
Speaker 2: I'm excited to get into this because I have a million questions about how it's going to work and timeframes and all of that. So it's a schedule one right now, same as math, same as methanol. And you guys want to change it to what is that where the schedule three comes in.
Speaker 4: Yes, we're changing it to Schedule three, which is much more like how we handle prescription drugs and strong medications like codine and other things, but not like LSD.
Speaker 5: And basically what happened here is the President.
Speaker 4: Set up a process for examining marijuana. It takes a little while, the process takes a little while, but basically the Department of Health and Human Services did a scientific analysis of whether we should really have how we should really look at marijuana, and whether marijuana really should be like ventanyl or LSD and other really intense drugs that you know are can be pretty dangerous.
Speaker 5: And so they consulted experts.
Speaker 4: And did a very third view and found that marijuana really should be Schedule three. And what that really means is it just really shouldn't be regulated, and the federal argument should not regulate it like it regulates.
Speaker 5: A drugs like LSD.
Speaker 4: And it may it will make it research easier, and I'll be a little bit easier for cannabis businesses to engage in lawful practices in their in their states. So it has that kind of impact. It does not legal Anyone's going to be honest with everyone, that's not that takes Congress. But what the President is doing is really using his executive powers to you know, to really move the needle.
Speaker 5: And you know, this is a really historic action.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's not going to legalize things, but what does this mean for people who are currently serving time have been incarcerated under kind of regulations that we're dealing with the Schedule one drug.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's it. That's a great question.
Speaker 4: And I would say most fundamentally, the President believes that no one should be in jail for the mere possession of marijuana, and he's really acted on that.
Speaker 5: So he's ensured thousands.
Speaker 4: Of pounds thousands of pardons for people in federal prisons too, who are in who are basically in for drug possession or marijuana possessions specifically.
Speaker 5: So that's his overall approach.
Speaker 4: Now, this this rescheduling or moving from schedule to one, from Schedule one to get Edule three, doesn't actually impact It doesn't actually impact sentences because sentences.
Speaker 5: Are based on legislation.
Speaker 4: So President isn't able to just do that by executive action. What he is doing is taking them, you know, really the most sweeping executive action he can to ensure that our federal government looks at marijuana like it should, which is not in the same category as LSD.
Speaker 2: So what are some of the things that researchers found that made them, well the collectives say, hey, let's switch this from Schedule one to Schedule three. And I'm asking that question for a reason.
Speaker 4: They looked at addictiveness, impact on health, what the impact of marijuana is on you know, people's short term and long term health. It was a very detailed analysis, and they basically found that it should you know, shouldn't. It doesn't have the same impact as you know, other more dangerous drugs.
Speaker 2: Okay, So then the reason I asked that question is there's also been a lot of talk and maybe you guys haven't even gotten to this yet, but there's so much talk right now about psilocybin having similar impacts on health, whether it's your mental health or just overall anxiety.
Speaker 1: Anxiety is part of mental health.
Speaker 2: But is psilocybin something that people are going to look out in the future or are we taking this one step at a time?
Speaker 1: Where are you guys at with that?
Speaker 4: We are definitely taking it one step at a time, But I'd also say it's really up to the Department of Health and Human Services. These are scientific decisions, they're not political decisions, and I would really defer to them on how they're going to approach.
Speaker 5: Other drugs in the future. I know there's a.
Speaker 4: Wide debate about psilocybin, but I think that our view is that experts should really look at these issues and we defer to them and how to handle that.
Speaker 2: Do you have their phone number if we wanted to call them later inact?
Speaker 5: You know, I think it's I think it's on the internet. I don't have enough at the top of my hand.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll find it. I am very into this. I think this is great. It's gonna hopefully have a positive impact on a lot of things and a lot of people. And you mentioned something earlier talking about how businesses can operate can operate legally now, so you hear a lot of talk about, yes, it's been legalized state to state. Certain things have happened state to state, but federally it hasn't been so from what I hear, I do not obviously know a lot about this. I'm going to ask you the questions, how does it work. As far as let's say I own a business, I'm making money off of marijuana in the state of Michigan, and now I have all of this money, but the federal banks won't take it because federally it's illegal. How do you know how that's working or how that will change?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's actually it's just a bit convoluted here. But there's okay, a tax provision which says, so this is a US tax law that says companies that have drugs like Schedule one drugs that engage in schedule any practice related to Schedule one drugs have higher taxes. They can't really defer their payments, they can't really take some tax breaks that normal businesses can.
Speaker 5: So the the rescheduling affects.
Speaker 4: This affects these companies by making it you know, more of like how they treat prescription drugs, which is just another product. So it actually has a significant impact on businesses that are engaged in cannabis because, you know, all legally obviously in their in their states, because because of federal law, they have sort of uh, federal taxes that they pay.
Speaker 5: Under Schedule one that they wouldn't pay under scheduled free.
Speaker 4: So that is a that is an important aspect of rescheduling.
Speaker 2: That seems very important. Everybody wants to keep a little more money if they can, right, Yeah, So it's.
Speaker 4: A bit wonky and sorry to wank out, but that that is that is like, that is a big that is a big.
Speaker 5: Part of this as well in terms of impact.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely. I mean you're you're the expert here. That's why I'm asking you all the questions. How did you get involved with this, like what is your background and how did you get to rescheduling marijuana or talking about it?
Speaker 5: Well, I have a job.
Speaker 4: My job is Domestic Policy Advisor to the President. I have see the domestic policy counsel at the White House, and really what that means is if there's on issues like.
Speaker 5: Childcare or healthcare, or crime or.
Speaker 4: Criminal justice and how we make our criminal justice system workfair, I oversee those issues for the President. So, you know, we look at marijuana rescheduling as and the President's approached marijuana, which is really just to say again that the way our country has treated marijuana has been really you know, suspects, black and brown people are criminalized at higher rates for marijuana marijuana possession, and so the President has looked at this from the perspective.
Speaker 5: Of what we should do people's health, but he's also looked at this from the perspective of just basic common fairness and.
Speaker 4: Having a criminal justice system that treats people equally. So from both of those ones that he's really approached marijuana policy and that's why he's part of so many people for marijuana possession, but also wanted to look at rescheduling to ensure that our you know, that our marijuana laws actually reflect expertise and basically come into the twenty first century. So that's why I'm That's how I got engaged in this, and I have that job for the president, and I've been doing domestic policy work for a long time and so it's a fun gig.
Speaker 5: Marijuana might be more fun than some of the other issues I have to work on. I've been happy to do it.
Speaker 2: So this is not something that is potentially happening. This is definitely happening. So from correct, yes, So I.
Speaker 4: Do want to be clear this is that this is the beginning of the rule making process. The rule is on its way, like we expect this will happen, but I just want to be crystal clear that it'll be you know, it'll be several months till it's fully implemented.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad you said that, because I wanted to know how that works. From the time that this was conceptualized and people said, you know what, this is something that we should absolutely do, change it from a Schedule one to a Schedule three. How long does that process take from the beginning to hopefully the end and it being finalized.
Speaker 4: Well, the President started this process in December of twenty twenty two. And what that in that process was to have the Department of Health and Human Services just first examine the schedule, like whether the schedule should stay at Schedule one or move to Schedule two or Schedule three for marijuana. So that process took a fair amount of time. It you just delivered its analysis on that basically last year, and now the Department of Justice just issued the beginning.
Speaker 5: Of the rule making process. So we'll go through this rolemaking process, you know, several months. It'll take. It'll take some time.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry to report that the wheels of government sometimes work slowly, but they.
Speaker 5: Also work deliberately.
Speaker 4: So our hope and expectation is that this will come out, you know, uh, sometime in the next several months, but that is really up to the Department of Justice, and we don't actually control that process at the White House at all.
Speaker 2: So when you say you really hope and you guys are are hopeful that this is going to happen in the next couple of months, what is something that would stop it from happening.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's a it's a it's a rule for the Department of Justice to work through. So you know, they they could they handle that process, and you know, it could get stemmy there. But I think everyone recognizes that this is a high priority. And again, the data and facts are very clear. And I also just think, look, I think most people get that marijuana is very different from fetanol or LSD, and the twenty four.
Speaker 5: Century we pies that reflect that reality.
Speaker 2: Do we know why it was initially classified in the same category as meth or fentinyl?
Speaker 1: Like, where did that come from?
Speaker 5: I mean that's decades and decades.
Speaker 4: Old, So that came from people's conceptions, you know, twenty thirty, forty fifty years ago. So that's you know, exactly why we started this process and why the President thought was really important because we should re examine There's been a lot of science on marijuana and over the last several decades, and particularly in the last decade, and h I just really looked at that data and found that, frankly, it made no sense for marijuana to be in Schedule one.
Speaker 2: Are there any parts of that data and that research that stand out to you as something that, hey, people really need to know this, this is why we're moving in the way that we're moving right now.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think the most important part of the data was really just a recognition that there's some pain, there's some pain benefits, a meaning it does actually address people's pain. There are there are some positives. I mean, the h just didn't say like everyone should smoke marijuana. Obviously there's some health impact they'll but it's just very different and that was the most important thing.
Speaker 5: That's very different from what's in the Schedule one.
Speaker 2: So if you want to tell people a couple of really important key facts about what is we're talking about right now into two sentences, how would you boil it down?
Speaker 1: I don't want to do it. I don't want you to do it.
Speaker 4: I would say, uh, this is a very this is an important important measure. Whether I could get two centences, but I'd say fundamentally, the President has directed a process to ensure that scientists can research marijuana more easily and that marijuana is more accessible, and obviously always with safety in mind, always.
Speaker 1: With safety of mind. You think there's any chance of him coming to tell us any of this stuff too.
Speaker 5: I'm super down with that. So but that's not, that's above my pay grade.
Speaker 2: So that was a very nice Probably not, but we're still going to shoot for it. I think that this is incredible and I definitely think it's it's important information for people to know about. So if they want to do their own research and come find out what you guys are talking about, is their website, you can direct them to to get this information.
Speaker 4: I always direct people to the White House website. The President announced this. There's also he did a he did a video around this, so you know, all that is accessible online on social media.
Speaker 5: But also you can just.
Speaker 4: Go to the White House website and they'll have information. I can send you to the Department of Justice website that announced this, but it's it's really it's pretty walking. So I think I think the President explains I think it President explains it best in his video which is online.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was. I think we saw it on X. Maybe it was posted over there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, come on, X, is that what's.
Speaker 1: All the time? Okay?
Speaker 2: And I don't even know how you say, like, did you X something? I don't know you posted.
Speaker 5: I know I was supposed to say, did you X something that's here?
Speaker 1: It's a weird way to say it.
Speaker 2: But I think we'll find that audio and we'll play it right here so that people can actually hear it out of his mouth.
Speaker 8: This is monumental. Today my administration took a major step to reclassify marijuana from a Scheduled one drug to Schedule three drug. It's an important move toward reversing the long standing iniquities. Today's announcement bill's on the work we've already done to partner a record number of federal offenses for simple possession of marijuana, and as of the actual we've taken the lift parriage to housing, employment, small business loans, and so much more for tens of thousands of Americans. Look, folks, now, one should be in jail merely for using or possessing marijuana, period. Far too many lives have been upended because of failed approach to marijuana, and I'm committed to writing those wrongs. You have my word on it.
Speaker 5: Way better than me, way better than me.
Speaker 1: Not a chance.
Speaker 2: We're so excited that anybody from the White House staff wanted to talk to us, so thanks for the time to do that.
Speaker 4: Of course, as Superbride, I'll let everyone know it was great.
Speaker 2: Awesome, And if you guys have other stuff you want to talk about in the future as far as policy, because I know you just listed off like thirty things that you are working on. I am fascinated by this stuff and I would love to ask you a bunch more questions, So please feel free to reach out to us anytime about stuff we want to have.
Speaker 1: The conversations great.
Speaker 5: I love it all right, thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Near a Tandon. Thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 2: Have a fabulous day, and we will maybe go look up all these numbers that you talked about online right now bank see ya bye. First of all, Diamond, what were your thoughts on that.
Speaker 3: I love that we're rescheduling, but I don't really know will it make a difference.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, so that's where I got a little confused. I thought there were going to be a lot more answers and kind of like definitive answers about things. It doesn't seem that that's the case. I also feel like that was such a brief snapshot into how politics work, which is like, hey, we're going to make this happen. Oh, but if you want X, Y, and Z to happen after that, that actually goes to these different departments and they move at their own pace and we'll figure out how it goes. And if you need those answers, you have to talk to them. I think it's definitely great to reschedule from a class one, which is insane, to classified weed as fentanyl and math. But now we're going to move in to schedule three. And then what does happen to all the people who are currently in jail for this thing that is now legal in all these states?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously there's the presidential pardon, which is possible. Is he going to pardon a bunch of people?
Speaker 1: What if he doesn't win the election?
Speaker 3: And now all this you're doing all these things in the last what six months? Right?
Speaker 2: I don't know, And I don't think we're gonna get answers from them about a lot of stuff. And I would really like to actually see the numbers and like the data that backs up some of the stuff that they're saying, because it is really important if there are health benefits to highlight, like hey, maybe we should certainly some.
Speaker 1: Other drugs too, Yeah, like psilocybin.
Speaker 2: There have been so many proven studies that psilocybin is really good for certain mental health issues. And I mean, listen for Recreation Funness Book. I wish I'm not even gonna I'm not joking. So I wish everybody I knew could have one good trip in their life, just to understand what that feels like and how it changes your thought.
Speaker 1: That's all.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 2: I know, people are like, eh, you're pushing drugs. I am, well, this one I am. It's a mushroom, it's outside.
Speaker 3: Come on. I'm terrified, just because I've had bad trips with weed.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, you know, a trip, damn it. Oh no, no, no.
Speaker 3: Ask my friends that were there. That was a trip. It was bad.
Speaker 1: I would like to hear about that. What happened.
Speaker 3: I there were two instances. Actually, one I just felt like I was in a daze, like that's literally my head helping. You know, it was bad and like everything was so loud, and I started freaking out and then I threw up, and it was like, what the hell is going on? And then the second time, you know how your foot falls asleep and you feel the little prickles or whatever, I felt it down my back and I thought that girl, I thought I was gonna die. Yeah, this is on a music festival.
Speaker 2: That sounds terrible. Maybe somebody laced it with something, That's what I thought.
Speaker 3: I don't know. But everybody else was fine, and we all smoked together, and I'm like, maybe you smoke the seed you know you're not supposed to. And I'm like, oh, great, amazing. Maybe I did and nobody else did.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure, So Diamond is out for any of the trips. This could change off the grid drastically.
Speaker 1: What do you and Andrew? Actually, Andrew does it too?
Speaker 7: Me?
Speaker 2: Josh and Andrew. If all three of us partake in something, are you just gonna be our babysitter?
Speaker 3: No, I'm gonna do what I did when you and Andrew were looking at the stars and I got up and I left. Absolutely, I'm leaving. I'm done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the last off the grid trip we took. Andrew and I were sitting outside where we high yeah it might have been Yeah, in this one park there were no lights and the stars were everywhere. There were shooting stars. Diamond had never seen one so cool. But we're all laying on a rock. It was like Pride Rock from the Lion King. We're laying on a rock looking up at the sky, and Diamond all of a sudden was like, oh, there are bugs.
Speaker 1: I'm out. And she got up and left and she.
Speaker 2: Had to do a little walk through like woods by herself.
Speaker 1: I was very impressive. You actually did it in the dark by yourself.
Speaker 3: Out of there.
Speaker 2: She did not want those bugs around her. And I gotta be honest. When we walked back in, there was a giant one on me, and I said what I said, Andrew, don't tell Diamond that you had to get that bug on.
Speaker 1: You never told me this. It's been like three years. Oh, you were right, you were right. Those bugs were terrible.
Speaker 2: All that to say, we still have a lot of questions. It's good that they're gonna try and make this change. Hopefully it will make some significant change. Who's to say we already burned Andrew in the burn book.
Speaker 3: Early, Oh, because I have another one.
Speaker 2: Oh you want to burn Andrew? You want to burn someone else?
Speaker 3: Someone else? Okay, Aaron Rodgers, you're on my fucking list.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: You know, I really hope that the Jets have a good season. But I think that as Americas, we should take our platforms more seriously. And I think that he trolls a lot. And I know that he's insane in the membrane, right, but you know, like I mean for you too. Did you see do you know what I'm talking I do?
Speaker 1: Okay, what you're talking about?
Speaker 3: Okay, So over the weekend this past week, last weekend, Aaron Rodgers went to a UFC fight, and there's footage of Trump, President Trump, former President Trump, the convict walking past Aaron Rodgers, and he does nothing. He sees that he's walking past him. He doesn't look entertained or anything like that. And then he posts on his Instagram hours later, maybe a day later, a photo of them shaking hands and he's like so happy about.
Speaker 1: It, And to me, I think he's trolling.
Speaker 3: I don't take anything that he does outside of football seriously, and I think that he should take his platform a little bit more serious.
Speaker 1: Ce is real.
Speaker 2: We should really be thinking about this and wondering if if any of that has to do it. Say with all the when they act like Ryan Garcia, Obviously there's some other stuff happening with him, but I'm like, these people are getting hit in the head all the time. We need to worry about them. Okay, Aaron Rodgers, you're in the burn book too. I don't even have my phone open or do ask me anything. Just like the third week, we've skipped it.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 2: We'll be back, but dm me on Instagram at Baby Hot Sauce. If you can find me, ask me anything, truly, I'll go post a little thing for it. Diamond, how can people find you?
Speaker 3: At Diamond? Sincere on Instagram?
Speaker 1: Love that Say bye, We'll be back, Oh byeye