Speaker 1: Peaks of the planet, charlamagnea god here, and as we come close to the closing out this year, I just want to say thank you for tuning it into the Black Effect podcast network. There have been so many great moments over the past year. Take a listen to some of those captivating moments in this special best of episode.
Speaker 2: She is a three time Emmy Award winning co host of ABC's The View. New York Times best selling author. I fell in love with her first ball because she is an attorney, a legal analyst, as well as a sought after speaker. Y'all already know. Y'all know who it is. Please, Sonny Houstin.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you for having me.
Speaker 4: Wow. You know, I remember the first time we met. I mean I had watched you perform, of course, but I remember the first time we met. We were you were walking out of a Japanese restaurant and I was walking into a Japanese restaurant and you were like, Sonny Haustin and I was like, I know, Michelle.
Speaker 3: Williams does not know who I am.
Speaker 4: So it was great and it's been great to keep in touch since then.
Speaker 3: Yes, ma'am, it has been great.
Speaker 2: It has just been awesome over the years, because.
Speaker 3: You know, I am a bootleg attorney.
Speaker 2: My college was criminal justice, so I would stay tuned and peeled into cases that made like mainstream television. And what inspired me so much was to see women of color bringing it as it related to the legal parts of all these cases that were going on.
Speaker 3: I mean, killing it sure confident.
Speaker 2: There are times where you had to set people in their place, or there are times you have to be like, no, the person did it, how did y'all not see it? How do they see it? So I'm just appreciative of you. I'm appreciative you've been what ten seasons or more on the View?
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I was just reminded of that.
Speaker 4: Have some one on the View I had said during an interview six years and she was like, no, you started guest hosting with us in twenty twelve, and I was like what She was like, yep, Barbara got you into the rotation in twenty twelve, and so I was a guest co host for a lot, like half the shows in a year, and then I've been on the show formally as a full time co host since for seven years.
Speaker 3: It went by really quickly, doesn't it go? By quickly. Yeah, and it's like.
Speaker 4: I started guest co hosting, but at the time I was working at CNN, so it was, you know, they wanted me to start at the View, but I really couldn't because I had a contract and CNN at the time was like, no, you can't get out of your contract, which in a way was a good thing for me because I was reporting out in the field. I was doing the things that you were just talking about. You know, I was covering the Trade bon Martin trial, well, the George Zimmerman traum, but the Trayvon's murder. And I was, you know, covering Casey Anthony who murdered, in my opinion, her you know, her baby, And so I was. I was in the thick of a lot of heavy stuff that was really important to me. And so in a way it was great to be able to do that that heavy lifting and give voice to our community and then get on the View and have a little bit of fun.
Speaker 3: So it was a good balance. Got it.
Speaker 2: The foundation of checking in is mental health. It just mentioned that, you know, you had to cover some heavy cases. Yeah, okay, I named all these brilliant things that you do, but some of the most brilliant things that you are is a wife and mother. Yes, say someone's daughter, someone's friend. How were you able to handle all of these heavy moments as far as your mental health is concerned.
Speaker 3: Learned? You know, it's interesting.
Speaker 4: I'm learning how to handle it better. I am someone who tended to internalize things. You know, I was the calm in the storm. I had a pretty chaotic upbringing because I grew up in the South Bronx projects and I saw a lot of violence and addiction, and so I was always the kid with the book that was looking for an escape from my surroundings. And it kind of grounded me. And my faith grounded me. You know, I'm Catholic, went to Catholic schools. I had a really good friendship with a nun believe it or not, sister, and she passed a couple of years ago, and I still to this day have a really good friendship with two priests, Father Edward Beck and Father Bob, and so I was.
Speaker 3: Able to turn to them.
Speaker 4: I didn't turn to a traditional therapists, but I turned to them for a guidance, you know, like faith guidance, Like how do I do this? Especially when I was covering a lot of the heavy stuff, and it's hard, I will say, not only covering those issues, but covering them as a public figure, and it's especially hard.
Speaker 3: On your family.
Speaker 4: And you don't think about that, or at least I didn't think about that when I first started. I just want to tell people stories. I just want to make sure people knew about Trayvon. I wanted to make sure you know that people knew about George Floyd. I just it was important to me that people knew about what was going on community. I prosecuted child sex crimes and trafficking. That was the business that I was in when I was a prosecutor, and I pretty much put myself last all the time. I wanted to make sure my daughter was okay, my son was okay, my husband was okay, and I was doing the work. But I wasn't as concerned about myself. And I would say within the past five years, especially with the help of Joy Behar and Whoopee and my co hosts asking me, are you and I started kind of taking stock in that and I was like, some days I'm great, but sometimes I'm actually not okay, And it's okay to say I'm not Okay, it's okay to say I.
Speaker 3: Think I'm gonna have to take a mental health day off today because I need to.
Speaker 4: You know, I live on kind of a modified farm, so I'm like, I need to go out with my chickens, I need to tend to my beehives. I need to be with my two hundred and fifty pounds New Finland dogs. I need to just spend some time for me. And that's been extremely helpful. But it took me a minute to understand what self care meant and how if I am not good and centered mentally, that I am not good and centered for anybody else.
Speaker 2: His authenticity is what won the hearts of millions, went on to work with and have his own show through Ellen DeGeneres, and is now transitioning and doing so many great things. He is someone's friend. He is someone's son. To us, we love him. He is Kaylin Allen. Have you heard Tapitha Brown's story, Yes, kind of the same thing where she says she heard a voice say, get your phone, use your phone, and to see what you two have done just by the power of making good use out of the phone, bringing joy to people's hearts. Because people use their phones for evil. I'm just gonna say it, but y'all, you use your phone to make us? Did you know you were you trying to make us laugh?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: And you know what's so funny about that. And I tell people this all the time is that I'm not a comedian. And it's like, I just know I'm a comedic entertainer. I know comedy. I just know what's funny. And it's really a lot of times it's just how I talk. It's just how I express myself. It's just who I am, you know. So it's just like I don't see it as I'm sitting down, like writing down a joke or something like that.
Speaker 3: It's just like every now.
Speaker 5: And to be honest, even the way that I make content now, it's all off a feeling. I don't believe in making content. Just to say that i'd have made some content or whatever, I have to feel it. So for instance, like the other day, I was at the grocery store and these two boys call me sir, and so then something in my spirit was like this would be a funny video. So I went home. I was like, I already know what I want to say, I know how I want to say, I'm a pressure record and I'm gonna talk to this phone for a minute and thirty seconds, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And what I realized after.
Speaker 5: That video is that I think because because it is so natural to me, I think it becomes so believable that people think that I actually really care about it. If that makes of being like and I'm like, I don't really care that these boys call me sir, Like that's not that is not keeping me up at night, you know what I mean. But it's like it's a part of the comedy, is a part of the hysteria of it Allfore.
Speaker 2: I love it. I have those moments and where I should press for corpor then I'm self conscious, like, well, you don't have no makeup. You gotta do this, you gotta do that, don't be coming on looking busted. So a lot of my thoughts just stay thoughts. But I'm going to try to do some more natural moments of you know, spontaneous filming.
Speaker 5: Now, where do you feel like that self consciousness comes from? Where does it stem from?
Speaker 4: So this could you interview with me?
Speaker 3: I can't help it.
Speaker 2: I can't help so, Okay, I know where it comes from. It comes from always being known or seen as glamour, hair and makeup always done, and it's like I should at least have on some lipsticks. Okay, I'm not saying one that comes on natural with no makeup done or no hair. I'm not saying that they're wrong, but it's just like if I don't, will it be like, ooh, what's she going through today summer? Okay, I don't know, but that's me overthinking assuming what people are thinking, and they're probably not. They probably don't care.
Speaker 3: Well, I would say that the flip is.
Speaker 5: I think it's also the fact of like you, being in the industry at a time before social media, but at the level that you were doing it as well. I can understand why you would have that perspective, and I think the industry has changed so much in today's day and age.
Speaker 3: It's that it's two different times, you know what I mean. So I don't think it has anything to do with you overthinking at all. I think it's you thinking in what you're used to and what it used to be, you know what I mean, which that I can understand.
Speaker 2: And this has been your ask, doctor kaylen Hermett, because thank you, though you are so right, you're spot on. That's why I was sitting in the spirit of hush, because I was like, Caitlen is actually spot on. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just try to add perspective to stuff.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: I think I'm very especially so. And I don't know if I've even told you this before. Is that I plan on when this is, you know, when I decide I want to retire and I want to like, you know, sit down or somewhere. I plan to become a therapist too, specifically to people that work in the industry, because in my experience in going to therapy, therapists could only understand the everyday stuff, but when it came to industry stuff, they had no idea of how to help me, and a lot of especially in earlier that was a lot of my issues. We're rooted in navigating the industry, and it was just like, well, who am I supposed to talk to?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? So I want to be able to be that resource to people.
Speaker 2: So you think we should go to school together and open up a practice.
Speaker 3: Come on, let's go, we should let's go. I like that. Let's go. I like that. Go okay, I'll let you get back to the interviewer.
Speaker 2: No, no, we no, because it's going to flow.
Speaker 3: Ince a half of.
Speaker 2: Eighty percent of what we're talking about ain't even you right about it? So you did a reaction video.
Speaker 3: Now wait a minute.
Speaker 2: Were people that you did reaction videos to did they actually get offended?
Speaker 3: Some?
Speaker 5: Some at first? But it was never like a big thing. But I do remember. I think there was at some point when the videos would be, you know, featured on Kaitlin or on Ellen, that people would be like, well, we need to cut, you know, like because it was like.
Speaker 3: A cut of the revenue.
Speaker 2: You know, no, no, you ain't need what you cook needed to be cut?
Speaker 3: Okay, exactly exactly, they were right, it needed to be cut. Exactly cut the video.
Speaker 5: But the fun you think about that is that technically it's a parody, you know, because it's like a commentary or whatever. But you know, when you when you're dealing with something that was getting that many views. I think once I left Ellen on Kaitlin itself had already done over a billion views in itself, So it's like when you have stuff with that magnitude, of course, people want to you know, cash in or get a cut of the check or whatever. I didn't really care about that because I don't that's not why I make stuff. But yeah, no, I think what was also crazy about it was just that then, And this is why I stopped doing them, was because I noticed that people were just making videos to that were just nasty. And I think for me, everything is about authenticity, you know. And so I was like, I would watch a video and I'd be like, that's not real, you know, and me talking about like how I'm not a comedian. It's like, I'm not about to sit here and just write a couple of jokes to try and make this funny, you know what I mean. It's like I don't ever want to be a character or or for it to feel inauthentic. So I was just like, so I just won't do it that much. I'll just find something else to do, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I'm still stuck on because we saw the videos and then wow, I'm just tripping, Like you said, it was only three months later that Ellen DeGeneres calls you and then you literally saunter and Sashet and strut out on that show and you sit down and you cross your legs and you're sitting with Ellen Degenerous.
Speaker 3: This is what twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen. So I take the first episode December of twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: And so what was that like, you get the phone call to go out there? What?
Speaker 5: Well, it was a whirlwind. Kansas born, very much, so, very much. So it was a whirlwind, you know. I So my first idea was that I was going to show up. They was gonna give me a cute little shutterfly check and I was gonna go buy my bas like That's what I thought it was gonna be. And then I wasn't expecting to be offered the job. And so when I was off at the job, I said yes on the show. I remember I left there. I was staying at the Hilton in Universal City.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 5: So I was at the Hilton, and I remember the next day. I think my flight may have been in the evening or something. I was like, Okay, well I'm gonna get up go to Universal Studios. I ain't never been, you know, I'm gonna go buy myself and go have hun and I member I got to university and I called up at that time my acting teacher at Temple.
Speaker 3: I said this is the deal. I was offered a job. I need to move to LA.
Speaker 5: The original contract did not say I needed to move to LA, but I knew that if I moved to LA, then I would be you used more. They would use me more because I was there. I was more convenient, they didn't have to pay for travel and stuff like that. And so I was like, we need to figure out how I can finish my degrees in LA and with this move needs to happen asap. So I flew back to Temple, packed up all my stuff.
Speaker 3: We figured it out.
Speaker 5: I did claims at night while I was at Ellen, and then I moved to Los Angeles. But I will say that it was very scary at first, and to be honest, it's probably one of my most depressive moments of my life. And the reason is is because I was thrown into something with little to no guidance as so far as how it operated and how it worked, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Also, and when I got.
Speaker 5: The job, I was working five jobs in college like I was used to, you know, working, working, working BBB, and now my only job is the Ellen Degenerate Show.
Speaker 3: But this is before on Kaitln.
Speaker 5: This is before regular appearances, so it's just like an every down. And then so I'm just sitting in the apartment, Like I'm just sitting in my apartment watching TV all day. It was driving me insane. I was like, I'm so bored. I was in like a furnished apartment, so it really wasn't mine. So the apartment was just like there and it was dark. There wasn't a lot of sunlight. I was like, I can't do this. This is sad. I don't like it. So then that was when I asked for an office at Warner Brothers, because I was like, give me purpose, give me somewhere I can go, you know. And then I think that that was really why then everything else started to happen. Was because I was very hands on, and you know me, I'm a very vocal person. I am very like all toesy in you know what I mean. So that's just who I am.
Speaker 2: I'm so thankful that y'all continue to check in and subscribe and download our podcast. Now today, I'm so excited. I've said that word about three times already in the span of one minute to have this beautiful guest checking in with us. Her name is Deabbie Brown. When I tell y'all, she is so soothing. She focuses on mental health, you know, an advocate for healing. She is an author, a successful podcaster, master educator, and y'all, she works for organizations such as Chase, Microsoft, Chopra and other Fortune five hundred companies.
Speaker 3: Please welcome Debbie Brown. Yay, I'm so happy to be here.
Speaker 2: Girl. You talk about naming your wounds and how there's strength in it, and thank you for that. How does a person name their wounds? It is a long, slow, beautiful process.
Speaker 6: Our healing is a lot of things, but one thing it isn't is like a one weekend session of something right. It is the continued practice. It is building a system of curiosity with the way that you view yourself and your life. And so self awareness is what allows us to come into our healing. And the more self aware we become, the more we're able to look at the things that have really hurt us in our lives, the easier it is to look at our own behaviors and not be in judgment of them. Sometimes it's really hard for people to come into self awareness because being honest with yourself hurts, you know, it can feel really defeating. For some people that have had traumatic backgrounds, it also means meeting experiences in their lives that didn't receive their consent, that they didn't deserve, and looking at.
Speaker 3: That stuff is hard.
Speaker 6: It does feel easier to pretend things didn't happen. It does feel easier to bypass that and to just try to instantly push yourself into a positive thought.
Speaker 3: But it is not sustainable.
Speaker 6: Everyone who has ever tried that knows you may be projecting a look of yourself to the world, but you're not feeling it in your own heart. You deserve more. You deserve more. You deserve real healing, not performative healing. For that to happen, we just have to really be willing gently to look at the truth of our individual lives, the truth of our behavior, the truth of our experiences, as soon as we're able to do that. And for anyone listening that may have a story that you think that makes sense for everyone else, but not me, because this happened to me.
Speaker 3: I hear you.
Speaker 6: And it's about releasing yourself from that cell. It's about saying it out loud. It is about saying it and sharing it with trusted people who give you this space to talk about yourself without trying to cover you with their discomfort or their advice or their spiritual bypassing. It's about giving yourself, however much time you need to say it out loud, but saying it out loud so it can free you and you can release it, and you can reframe the narrative of who you are.
Speaker 3: And how you became.
Speaker 2: That as we hold our hearts and what you might want to call your abdomen or your stomach, just take this hold. Let this just be stable center. In this last I closed my eyes as Debbie was talking, and I received it as a prayer, a prayer for myself and as a prayer for the person listening, and as a prayer for Debbie as she continues this healing work through individuals and for corporations and to the world that we continue healing. It is deserved. It's not for the rich person, it's not for the person that's never been abused. It is for you, and it's for me. You are loved. Know that I don't care what your abuse and trauma. I don't care what the lie say to you. You are loved. We're with you. You're not alone.
Speaker 7: Release, release, release. You deserve, you deserve, you deserve. Who do you want to be? Who are you being called to become? Grace and ease will cover you say yes?
Speaker 2: M hm yes amen.
Speaker 4: Wow oh that was so beautiful.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, wow.
Speaker 2: Oh this is what checking in the Foundation must be about and must continue to be this And thank you Debbie for joining.
Speaker 3: Me intident once again. Thank you for tuning into the Black Effect Podcast Network.
Speaker 1: See you in twenty twenty five for more great moments from your favorite podcast