Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Nick Shot screaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now Here are Bill Jones, Savannah Humoler, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: And it's time for another edition of Mickshots as March madness turns into April gladness. Wow, the NFL Draft twenty four days away. That's right, and we're here to talk about it in much much more. Bill Jones, Savannah Humohler, who enjoyed some who did some draft scouting at eight eight game yesterday. Everson Walls, whose Grambling team was an NCAA tournament team this year, very briefly, and Mickey Spagnola, whose Missouri Tigers.
Speaker 4: Are playing baseball now, okay, Oh, everybody, have a good weekend. Yes, I did watch a lot of basketball, some football.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The UFL season began on Saturday in Arlington Stadium. Bob stoops Arlington Renegades at Champion Champions.
Speaker 4: I watched the second half of Saint Louis Michigan.
Speaker 3: You saw the sixty four yard field goals to win the game. Yes, there's another Brandon Aubrey head the NFL. Jake Bates shape.
Speaker 5: We're in good shape.
Speaker 4: Bates his first kick since high school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he wasn't even the kicker at he went to Arkansas, but he was the kickoff specialist.
Speaker 4: He went to Central.
Speaker 3: Oh I saw that he was from marketas.
Speaker 4: Wait went to Central Arkansas, then went to Arkansas State as a kickoff specialist. Never tried anybody. Then he went to Arkansas as a kickoff specialist. Never tried a field goal.
Speaker 5: And he's so he kicked it, just didn't kick field goals.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, he was a soccer player too, by the way. And then first kicking, he lines up his own forty six yard line and I'm sitting here going are you kidding me? And then here's the kicker, no pun He hit from sixty four right after they called time out, so he had to do it twice. Wow them and he hit both of them.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 4: And they were suggesting that it would have been good from seventy did you think that? Yeah, he cleared it, oh, right out in the middle.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 4: It was pretty amazing.
Speaker 3: Great.
Speaker 4: I also did some scouting. I believe it was number sixty nine for Michigan UH center guard Cole Cabral six five three forty. I saw him wipe out two guys on one plane. He got off the line of scrimmage, took care of the linebacker, then went and got the safety. And I said, if that guy's that mean, I need him on my team. Now he's only been on practice squad, so.
Speaker 5: There's gotta be some something's wrong wrong.
Speaker 3: Keep an eye on him, but keep an eye usually usually for player nothing against the UFL. Yeah, but usually something's gone wrong.
Speaker 4: Right right, but you never know.
Speaker 5: Just one time, you never know.
Speaker 4: You never know what Brandon Aubrey shows up right or Cavante Turpin.
Speaker 3: That's right, exactly right.
Speaker 5: So well, I had the amazing experience.
Speaker 6: It's this weekend the high school sports magazine McDonald's All American Football Team banquet.
Speaker 7: I spoke that really had a good time was Padre Island. I don't know if I look darker than that. You know now you're still feel in South Padre Ish.
Speaker 3: The McDonald's All America team, I think of basketball for the McDonald's. So there's a McDonald's All American Football Team team banquet.
Speaker 5: YEP, that's exactly what. It was a coaches convention that they had down.
Speaker 6: There, and some of the kids there were actually McDonald all Americans.
Speaker 5: Did a good job. Good Joby Rollins was there.
Speaker 6: Nico from the Texans, the wide receiver number twelve, Nico, and.
Speaker 5: Nico is a whole forehead taller than I am. Nicole Collins Collins, thank you.
Speaker 6: He's an entire forehead taller than I am. Taking pictures with him, thinking what would I do with this guy? That's all I could think, What would I do with this guy that's the new wide receiver speaker? And he left me hanging big time.
Speaker 4: He didn't speak, so you like, and then you had.
Speaker 3: Exactly thanks dude during my speech.
Speaker 6: That's exactly what I said. But we had a good time down there. The kids down there are great down in the valley as they call it. Uh, you know you've got the Edinburgh's, the mccallen's all.
Speaker 3: Down there Far sand One Element.
Speaker 5: Thank you for exactly. They had a kid from far Yeah.
Speaker 4: Really And by the way, Savannah and I did some scouting at the Big twelve.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh he did.
Speaker 8: It was a great I watched.
Speaker 4: The running backs run the forties.
Speaker 5: And what did you see?
Speaker 4: They had numbers on, So if you didn't have a roster, you had no idea who they were, right, but you can watch it and kind of predict four, five for six, whatever.
Speaker 3: So anybody catch you.
Speaker 6: You give us a number of someone who was the best running back in the Big twelve this year.
Speaker 4: Well, he's not in the state.
Speaker 3: He's got school, Ollie Gordon, Texas seven, Texas is not considered to be in the Big twelve for Big twelve Pro Days and so, which was then I was going, could be playing here.
Speaker 4: So they're having the Big twelve Pro Days and Texas had their own. So I was thinking, what's the deal. I go, oh, they're in the SEC. Yeah, doesn't count. Did you see anything that when you peeked.
Speaker 8: In, you know, nothing that really stuck out to me. They only had three quarterbacks there. And then I was watching some of the wide receiver drills and some of the running back drills, but I didn't watch anybody receivers that came out right. There were some guys there, some patches. Again, nobody that like totally stuck out to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just like you. And then they worked out again on Saturday. Friday was interview day. I guess they conducted interviews.
Speaker 6: So so you got nobody that was I can't help you, you know, I just this is the.
Speaker 5: Big twelve you're talking about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's minus Texas and Oklahoma.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but this is the Big twelve you're talking about.
Speaker 3: But still they're not They're wearing a lot of first round.
Speaker 5: Draft round picks right now. Yeah.
Speaker 3: You mentioned Texas running back from Texas Jonathan Brooks, who's coming off in a c L. He would be one to keep your eye on.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, there's a lot of people looking at him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so.
Speaker 4: What about their didn't they have a backup guy.
Speaker 5: That was well too?
Speaker 3: Shard Choice is producing running backs at a record setting pace there to Shard is the running backs coach at Texas and in last year's draft, Yes, in last year's draft pretty good. He had the Robinson and Roshawn Johnson who went to the Bears. And he also, prior to coming to Texas, he was at Georgia Tech.
Speaker 5: And so we can't get rid of him that because he coached Gabbs.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, and so now he's got another prospect to there doesn't appear to be a running back that'll likely go in the first round. But Jonathan Brooks of Texas is probably the top running back if he was if he wasn't coming off the ACL, he'd be sure the top running back coming out.
Speaker 4: And was he the one that doctor Cooper did the yes surgery?
Speaker 3: Yes, that's right. So that's a name to remember. Another name to remember that Savannah watched yesterday at the AAC. Who would that name to be remembered be?
Speaker 8: That would be DJ Burns Junior looked like a d lineman.
Speaker 3: On the court, or he could with the he's already what is he listed at? He's six nine to seven, but he's probably more like six seven. Yeah, he's not six ' nine yeah, and that was the way seventy five either. So is he a defensive lineman or is he an offensive tackle?
Speaker 4: You know what I just read something. People were looking at him as an offensive.
Speaker 6: I was going to say, you want an offensive lineman with good feet like that? Uh huh, Yes, I'd say offensive lineman, That's what I would say.
Speaker 4: And he's left handed lift tackle. But you know what, well we.
Speaker 3: Said last week a week ago. See my sister who is a loyal listener to mix shots, although apparently not apparently not in the off season, because she texted me yesterday and said, this dude for MC State, he looks like he could play in the NFL. And I said, did you not listen to mix shots last week? We talked about him last week that he needed to go to the Big twelve pro days and then they would have a first round prospect here.
Speaker 4: So when I was reading, I was reading something about him today this morning, and how about this for a misprint? It said he poured in twenty nine pounds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're thinking about.
Speaker 4: Great feet, and I read.
Speaker 5: Could you imagine him pulling around there? Somebody? Could you imagine him on the pool?
Speaker 4: Somebody called Jim Nagy, the director of the Senior Bowl, to kind of ask about him, and he said he got texts from several NFL GMS, assistant GMS and scouting director express throing interest in him. If he doesn't go to the NBA, I'm sure and they're looking at him, probably as an offensive tack which made me think back to rayfield Wright. If you remember when he went to Fort Fallace State, he went as a basketball and the football coach had to basically bribe him to go play football, and after his junior year, the Cincinnati Royals drafted him in the first round. He was going to go and play with Oscar Robertson.
Speaker 5: Is that crazy right? Have you heard them tell that story? Oh? Yeah, crazy man?
Speaker 4: And he went back because he had promised his mom that he would graduate college, so he passed up on NBA career as well.
Speaker 5: Let's look at big man, so junior CJ junior DJ.
Speaker 3: What's his name, DJ?
Speaker 4: DJ Burns, who's who is not quite as big as his dad, So he's got room to grow.
Speaker 5: Oh, don't say that.
Speaker 6: What you need is when you go to the NFL at that size, how long do you think he can last on the NBA level? I mean you're talking NCAA and he's really dominating, But how long do you think someone at that size can last NBA?
Speaker 4: In a gaze?
Speaker 5: I don't think in the season, and it's just a season.
Speaker 6: Well, and especially I'm not trying to diminish his abilities at all, but it's tough to get up and down the field on an NBA level.
Speaker 5: At that size.
Speaker 6: So everyone is obviously optimistic or pessimistic. Howpy you look at it and say that's going to be his next choice is coming to the NFL.
Speaker 3: Well, it's funny you mentioned that because I watched him not only this week, but the previous weekend. In fact, they played Texas Tech in the first game in Tech couldn't handle not only him but the other post players they had. But anyway, so I'm watching him the last two weeks and I can't get Oliver Miller out of my mind. And as a.
Speaker 5: Matter of fact, this is that's a compliment.
Speaker 3: And Oliver Miller in nineteen ninety at Reunion Arena in Dallas, watch Arkansas played Texas in the Elite eight. And I'm sitting there yesterday afternoon. It's like history is repeating itself here thirty four years later, there's the big oh, Oliver Miller playing again in downtown Dallas with a chance to go to the Final four. And Arkansas went to the Final four back then and now DJ Burns is But to your point on I just looked up Oliver Miller in his NBA career. He played in the NBA from nineteen ninety two to twenty ten. No wait a second, that's not right, No way, that can't be right. Twelve years twenty ten is incorrect. Now he played Okay, he played Get This on Oliver Miller. He played ninety two through two thousand in the NBA and then he played for the I can't even pronounce the name, the Southern California Surf, the Gary Steelheads, the Dodge City Legend, Wow, Dakota Wizards. The other names overseas I can't pronounce until twenty ten. But anyway, there's a picture of him at a later in life where he was pushing probably four bills and he uh and I'm a suggestion to DJ Burns is make sure you stay on stay away from the optical machine.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, he's sort of built its kind of strangely. He's big from the hips up. His legs are small, are not that big.
Speaker 6: That's good, that's why. That's why he's able to maneuver. So well, yeah, you're big enough already up top. You do need nimble legs. I mean, he's he seems to be nimbling.
Speaker 3: So do you think as the Cowboys reported back today and other NFL teams report back to work in the office today and they're just.
Speaker 4: Over they're doing the same thing, working water cooler, saying what do you think about this guy?
Speaker 3: You know? And they're probably having the same conference.
Speaker 6: You've only had two guys that. Two other guys that I can think of, Oliver Miller and big Baby from LSU.
Speaker 5: Oh, Glenn Davis.
Speaker 4: Glenn Davis.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that's the only two that I mean too well. It really Big Davis wasn't nearly as big as I don't think he was big as a Miller.
Speaker 4: And he seems to have the nature that could play football because he's pretty serious. He's not out there being goofy.
Speaker 5: He's smart well.
Speaker 8: The way he could even block and then push some people back, like to get into a certain area that he needed, or to make a pass like it looked almost like he had the stance to play the.
Speaker 6: Offensive lineman of the most intellectual on the team.
Speaker 5: He would that.
Speaker 4: I spoke with it and doing he was doing well. The last thing I heard, he goes, I'm having some good days and bad days. But I talked to him. So he had surgery on Tuesday. I talked to him on Friday, and he was hoping to go home on Saturday, but he was already star in his rehab. I said, when did you start your rehab? He goes Tuesday afternoon Tuesday night, and I said all replacement dual needed. Both needs done. So basically the knees are good. He's just got to recover from the surgery and you know going through the whole deal. Uh yeah, he did it. Nate and Frisco.
Speaker 5: Well, Nate, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I heard Nate could dunkle basketball back of the Florida and m I believe that.
Speaker 5: I believe it too.
Speaker 6: I heard that from several sources. So could you imagine him, I think at the time around two eighty five.
Speaker 5: Dunk in the basketball.
Speaker 4: Larry Allen when he had his tryout at Sonoma State, the guy that brought him in, that did the scouting and basically got him out of South l A. And he told the head coach at Mistate that I got this great athlete and I've heard that he can dunk a basketball. And the head coach was like, yeah, yeah, okay, another one of these. So they bring him in. Larry shows it up in a all white kind of silky warm up suit, right, and the.
Speaker 5: Sister was making an impression assist.
Speaker 4: The coach goes, okay, go show the coach you can dunk. He doesn't run. He stands underneath the basket and dunks the ball and the head coach goes, yeah, we might be able to fight a spot for him on our team, and the rest is history.
Speaker 5: That's when you know athletes. Baby.
Speaker 6: Now, when you look at DJ, if I was going to compare him to anyone physically, it would be Larry Allen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if I was going to do that.
Speaker 6: Of course, he's a little taller I guess than Larry, but I would say that interesting.
Speaker 5: Look.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, so what else? We got a few a couple of minutes two minute warning before our first break here, I've got a hypothetical I'm going to present to you in regards to quarterbacks and just a little bit.
Speaker 4: But what else is all by the way, and so this will just be some clerical work. But the Cowboys off season programs, Phase one will begin April fifteenth, So what you see guys doing now is basically volunteer, just doing strength and conditioning. Phase one is twelve days, Phase two three weeks, and then the OTAs begin May twenty first, twenty third. And as a reminder, the Cowboys only have two of those three day sessions because they got penalized last year for being too rough. I forgot about that, remember, yeah, wow, Yeah, somebody complained. So they only you get three you get ten days of OTA. They only get to three day sessions.
Speaker 3: Oh so they got penalized like two wars in a row, four days or four days, yeah, usually the tenth day, right, so they got basically got penalized three days. Yeah, so one full week worth because they usually do it.
Speaker 5: No money, just lack of a just took practice.
Speaker 4: I think Mike got fined because if you noticed when he did the Coaches Breakfast Day interview and he kind of just passing by said oh yeah, I saw Dak working out, which he was right this morning, and immediately somebody says, well, did you talk to him? What did you have to say? And he goes, oh, no, no, I just saw him. I can't talk to him. Okay about that. I would have made that clear I saw him.
Speaker 5: I didn't talk to Oh good news though, Hey Zeke is coming back. Did you hear that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll get into that would build teases whatever he's getting more.
Speaker 3: There's mutual interest. There's a report out there. There's mutual interest.
Speaker 4: Right, there should be through the Great bron I heard he's also costing him six million in dead money.
Speaker 3: You might as well have him here for that.
Speaker 4: Right, he'll play for two or three million, which is what he did last year. He paid for three million last year. Since we ran down this rabbit hole, had fifty one percent of the snaps, rushed for six hundred and forty two yards and had fifty one catches for three thirteen and two.
Speaker 3: Millions from yards from scrimmage. He had nearly one thousand yards last year.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, Yeoman's work last year.
Speaker 4: That was and they lost their lead running back demandre is it Stevens something like that.
Speaker 3: Oh no, he's still with them. Romandre Stevens. Yeah, I mean, but he was injured. He was injured during the season. Yeah, and so, but is better Zeke. I'm telling you Zeke is better. I know Romandre Stevenson because he played at Oklahoma and there are things that Romandre Stevenson can do. Zeke's better running back than Romandre Stevenson. Even now, I would endorse it fully. I'm not saying you don't if Jonathan Brooks.
Speaker 4: Is there, you know, but the veteran guy.
Speaker 5: I want a veteran guy. That's what I want.
Speaker 4: And his agents and they've got Rico Daldel coming back. They're starting to throw chum out there. Everybody's going, oh, cowboys are interested. I mean the Cowboys are interested, by god, everybody else.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the other thing.
Speaker 4: If and he still lives here from.
Speaker 3: But from Zeke's perspective, one of the main reasons he knows that he's not going to Any of the running backs out there are not going to command any amount of money beyond what Zeke made last year for sure, and probably less than that. Why would Zeke go sign anywhere else? As long as there's a glimmer of hope that he could come back here and.
Speaker 4: He lived those state income tax right so iron Smith, Hey that state income.
Speaker 3: Tracts or oh yeah, yes. And by the way, the Cowboys have announced for the twenty twenty four Cowboys Draft weekend, presented by Miller Lite. It was just the release out this morning. They announced the events for the draft party, which kicks off six point thirty on Thursday, April twenty fifth and continues for all three days of the draft on Tostita Plaza Tostitos Championship Plaza. Okay, when we come back, I've got a little hypothetic goal that has to do with quarterbacks and remember the trade that the Kansas City Chiefs made in the draft about seven years ago. Let me throw that out for your consternation on mixed shots.
Speaker 9: In just a moment, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: They snapped the press guy who looks right, it's not there. He escaped slapped. He'll run full pers down.
Speaker 5: Just like football.
Speaker 9: When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 3: Prescott's gonna run this himself, running up the middle and he scores.
Speaker 9: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 5: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 9: Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 10: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing. Pepsi baby the yin to this Burger's yang. Burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of lettus, every sesame seed on the bun and every sip of that crisp refreshing ice cool coola. A journey to footopia burgers better with pevsi, That's what I like.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 12: Did you know that're responding to one spam call can lead to more? Or that the IRS would never ask for your Social Security number on the phone? Beat scammers at their own game. By subscribing to AARP Fraud Watch Network alerts and texts at AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX, you can sign up to receive information that helps you recognize and avoid the latest scams. That's AARP dot orgs much Beat Scammers t X shots, h.
Speaker 8: K post roofing and Waterproofing, the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys, which.
Speaker 4: By the way, Post is their last name that owned the company. There's a TV commercial outlet. Oh, okay, I believe it's Nick Post is the Sun. I forgot what the dads.
Speaker 8: Were gone to k Post Roofing.
Speaker 3: And okay, got that cleared up. As we continue with mixed Shots brought to you by Millerte all Right, what's the what's the latest on the situation with Dak and the Cowboys?
Speaker 4: Nothing? Uh, they only restructured the five million dollars roster bonus, so it saved him like four million dollars. But as for a contract, they keep saying, yeah, they want to do it, but they're in no hurry. And I don't know if that's a negotiating ploy, like we've given you an offer that you didn't accept and so we're not in any hurry, and if they're trying to put the pressure on them to maybe take less or they're just not in a hurry to re sign him and let them play the final year of his contract.
Speaker 6: It kind of reminds of the last negotiation, except they can't franchise him and they.
Speaker 3: And when they wound up signing him to the contract extension. It was before free agency.
Speaker 4: And there's a no trade clause too, But go ahead with your scenario.
Speaker 3: Well, so we're going to assume nothing gets done on the on a contract extension before draft day, right, and we don't know where things stand, I mean outside of what they're saying publicly, which is that Dak is going to be the quarterback here going forward and they just have to work something out whatever. But there's there's been no talk that Dak would not be the quarterback here in twenty twenty five, right and beyond. However, you do have a quarterback that's going into the last year of his contract, and as you pointed out, you can't franchise him. He could walk in March. So does that in any way change the Cowboys thinking going into the draft this year as far as quarterback Now, they do have Trey Lance, and we don't know for sure how they feel about Trey Lance, although we think they like him and he could he's your young quarterback that you've invested in in terms of giving up a draft pick.
Speaker 6: Do they like him in regards to being a potential starter ords what they can get for?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, we may find out if.
Speaker 4: If there's a holdout, are you suggesting.
Speaker 3: Are we or oh, there you go, there's the other option there. Yeah, so is there What does that do? As far as the draft goes this year it said, apparently a deep quarterback draft. Do you ponder taking a quarterback considering where your quarterback is contractually right now?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: I think I mean you got to qualified. With you talking second day, third day, just somewhere in the draft.
Speaker 3: Let me throw out a Sinnario.
Speaker 4: All right, Yeah, that's why I want going to commit.
Speaker 3: And I'm not proposing this, I'm just throwing out a scenario. In fact, I think that should be the quarterback here for years to come. Okay, but take you back to the Kansas City Chiefs in twenty seventeen. They had a veteran thirty two year old quarter back named Alex Smith coming off a Pro Bowl season in twenty sixteen, and they were picking I believe, twenty fifth in the draft, somewhere in the same neighborhood that the Cowboys are at twenty four and Andy Reid fell in love with a quarterback out of Texas Tech named Patrick Mahomes, and he and others on the staff there in Kansas City. And so when Patrick Mahomes is available at number ten in the draft, he decides they pull the trigger and they traded their first round pick and a third round pick plus next year's number one, the twenty eighteen number one to Buffalo to move up to number ten, and they took Patrick Mahomes, which now in hindsight seven years later, might be the greatest draft day trade in the history of football. And maybe I should take the might be out of that. That is the greatest draft day trade in the history of football.
Speaker 4: When you say train robbery.
Speaker 5: All right, No, U do set? When Tony does set when he came.
Speaker 3: Many Super bowls a Tony Dorset win two, one, one, one one, How may as Patrick Mahomes one, three, three, Yeah, at least three. I think it's the best best draft right And by the way, by the way, in that same draft, Deshaun Watson went number twelve, I mean, what were they thinking in that draft?
Speaker 5: Anyway?
Speaker 3: And Mitchell Trubisky went number two.
Speaker 5: Time.
Speaker 3: So anyway, let me just throw it out there there. There's talk that there could be six quarterbacks taken in the top twelve picks in this draft. If there is someone who thinks that, let's say J. J. McCarthy or bow Nicks or whatever is the next Patrick Mahomes. I'm not saying they are. But if you think that there is a Patrick Mahomes in this draft, would you, considering where you are with your quarterback situation right now, would you do what the Kansas City Chiefs did in twenty seventeen and trade your first and a third and next year's number one to go get Patrick Mahomes at number ten. And, by the way, you could put the Cowboys in that scenario. In twenty seventeen, they drafted Taco Charlton in the first round. The third round pick was Jordan Lewis. They didn't. They wound up not having a twenty eighteen number one because they had to trade it for Amari Cooper later that year.
Speaker 4: How far did they move They went?
Speaker 3: They went like fifteen spots, from from twenty fifth to tenth something like that.
Speaker 5: How long did it take for Mahomes to one of his first Super Bowl?
Speaker 3: And then Mahomes did not play his first year. Alex Smith stayed as the quarterback, and then Alex Smith left after twenty seventeen. By the way, Alex Smith was a Pro Bowler in twenty seventeen, while Holmes was on the bench and just played the last game of the season, and then the franchise was his in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 6: So they didn't get with of They didn't do it instantly. I mean right, they'd wait till next year.
Speaker 3: The next year, which is what what if Patrick Mahomes was in this draft and the Cowboys decided to do that, that would be what the Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I can take that scenario. I thought, based on what you talked about it. I thought it happened that particularly no.
Speaker 3: No, and that quarterback sits for a year.
Speaker 5: That's fine, That'd be fine with me.
Speaker 3: So you would, you would if if you felt, if you felt like, if you were so sold on one of the quarterbacks that you think, this is Patrick Mahomes right here, you would trade your first and a third and next year's number one to move up to number ten to take him.
Speaker 5: He'd better be damn good. He'd better be damn because there's but that.
Speaker 3: The Kansas City Chiefs were in the same scenario that the Cowboys are right now, and they're just so happened to be the greatest quarterback in the history of the game per half who they everyone else couldn't see what Andy Reid saw And.
Speaker 4: How many of those scenarios did you find that backfire?
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, there's one of them.
Speaker 8: Well, my stance on this is we have a quarterback right now that has been sitting out since he got here, and that's Trey Lance. So let's say a year from now in March, dak you know, you have to look at different direction. I almost think not drafting a quarterback or if you do it super late, six seventh round, whatever. But you know, with Trey Lance, who has had not a lot of development time to actually play, I say, you give him the opportunity to see what he and almost do as a backup.
Speaker 6: It's kind of hard to ignore the fact that we already do have Trey Lance.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and we have needs in other places for this roster, and that's where you utilize the draft. I don't think trading up for a quarterback is ideal place to the.
Speaker 3: Fact that you just never know what these guys, whether they're gonna.
Speaker 13: Let's let's look at Lance though, I mean, how good is he? I think we just need to figure that out. Yeah, he could be the next Patrick Mahall.
Speaker 4: I know, I think this preseason is going to be very important to find that find out that answer. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they need to see what he can do.
Speaker 3: And by the way, if the Homes had been thrown in it had to play that first year, what.
Speaker 5: It may have it could have ruined his career.
Speaker 4: Kansas City ended up, didn't they end up winning? They were good that twenty seven.
Speaker 3: Well, like I said, Alex Smith made the Pro Bowl in twenty bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then I think he was a free eight.
Speaker 2: No, they traded him to Washington.
Speaker 4: And then in Washington got he got.
Speaker 5: Hurt, got Washington, Yes.
Speaker 3: And then he was a comeback player the year in twenty twenty in Washington. So, I mean, he wasn't washed up in his career at that point.
Speaker 5: But he wasn't Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 4: But they traded a you said he was a Pro bowler that year.
Speaker 2: Mahomes made it to the AFC Championship Game and lost to Brady.
Speaker 4: His first year, that was eighteen.
Speaker 5: We're talking.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, what Chris says that, I want to hear that his first year starting, he go, he was ready to help.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he went. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Apparently Mahomes in practice was like would carve up the defense, and everybody's like, Okay, this is our guy. That's kind of why they pulled the trigger on sending the other quarterback.
Speaker 3: Well, they had already decided. I mean, if you're trading your first and your third and next year's number one. Patrick Mahomes was going to be the quarterback in twenty eighteen, but they knew they had Alex Smith for one more year two and they were gonna.
Speaker 5: So this is interesting. So let's say we need to find out about Trey Lance.
Speaker 6: Just like said, Let's say they start putting him in there and he's carving up the defense. You know, we don't know what's going Yeah, just I mean, then Dak hasn't signed yet.
Speaker 5: It makes things interesting. It just makes things interesting.
Speaker 4: So they have three preseason games, right, they've reduced it to three. Do you say, okay, we're not playing Dak in two of them for sure? Do you give Trey Lance the majority of those, knowing you know what Cooper Rush can do. Do you say, Okay, we got to find out. Which is a tough decision to make because you got to have your backup ready. Can he win the backup job?
Speaker 3: I don't think it's all about the preseason games. I think part of the decision on whether you give them the first two games or whatever is what they've already seen here time that in the last six months that he's been here, and then in the off season program, it's the command does he show those types of intangible.
Speaker 5: Well you heard, has he shown it? Has he done?
Speaker 4: Remember, he ended up winning the starting job in San Francisco before he got hurt, and that's what caused Perdy to get the opportunity to play, right, because he won the job and it was like a game or two into that year.
Speaker 5: But he wasn't doing that well.
Speaker 4: Well, he never was healthy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm just saying. But the thing is, but.
Speaker 4: They were gonna go with right, right, they decided he was the starter.
Speaker 5: And what I mean, I'm comparing him to the Patrick mahons scenario. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: He didn't show any Patrick mahone's abilities. And I'm saying, since he's been here, what have what's the word, what's the.
Speaker 8: I mean, he's barely had an opportunity to totally showcase his skills so far while he's been here, and so you know, obviously, whatever the coaches seeing how he's practicing out there. You know, they could be looking at him and say, hey, you know, we need to develop him more. And I think that's going to go into training camp this year and then those preseason games. I say, you give him some of those games.
Speaker 5: He's we got a quarterback that was was almost MVP.
Speaker 3: He's worked.
Speaker 6: They don't need to look at that much at all this offseason. They need to look at that two back up.
Speaker 5: He throws football and he's athletics.
Speaker 4: So I'm forgetting who they played towards the end of the year that they needed a mobile quarterback to run the scout team the Cowboys. Yeah, what would would they have had him do? Tua or Jordan love I just remember asking him because I heard that he was running.
Speaker 5: He's going to be that quarterback.
Speaker 3: It's his size six four twenty six sies of he's Jordan love Life.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Here's the other thing it's interesting about Trey Lance. When you look at the quarterbacks in this draft, a bunch of them are like twenty four years old. I mean of the first round prospects. In fact, Caleb Williams turns twenty three in November. Now, Drake May's younger. He's twenty one. Doesn't turn twenty two to August Old. Jaden Daniels, he's twenty three. He'll be twenty four on December eighteenth. Yeah, yes, yeah, they're a lot, all right, Trey l Trey Lance turns twenty four on May ninth. He's twenty three because he's just six months older than Jaden Daniels. Okay, basically seven months older than Jayden Daniels. Michael Pennox turns twenty four on May all right, Trey Lance turns twenty four on May ninth. Michael Pennox, who's considered a first round prospect in this draft, turns twenty four the day before Trey Lance does. On May eighth, he turns twenty four. Bow Nicks already turned twenty four.
Speaker 5: Oh he's old, Yeah, we know he was old.
Speaker 14: Well, he's two months he's what but Pennix has too, I mean Nicks. Bo Nix is two months older than Pinnix. Bo Nix is two months older than Trey Lance.
Speaker 4: What about j J. J.
Speaker 3: McCarthy is young, he's twenty one. Oh yeah, literally, and I think that's one of the reasons that JJ McCarthy is getting so much buzz wise right now is because he's like three years younger than Nix, than Pennix, than Jayden Daniels. So people think that, Okay, there's this great upside because he's so much younger, and.
Speaker 6: That would go I think it's the opposite. I'd rather go with in older exactly about coming out of college.
Speaker 3: But so I'm glad we brought this up because it could be. Now I'm not saying Trey Lances, Patrick Mahomes, but the Cowboys right now, you have the equivalent in the house right now, the equivalent of Michael Pennix or bow Knicks or Jaden Daniels or any of these guys exactly had NFL experience.
Speaker 8: He has been here.
Speaker 13: He knows what is going on Jim NFL games.
Speaker 8: At least, it takes longer development time for these other quarterbacks coming into the draft to get in here and understand what it's like to play in the league.
Speaker 3: Let's just say Trey Lance did what Michael Pennox, what bow Knicks did, what Caleb Williams. Transfer. Okay, let's say instead of turning pro in twenty twenty or whatever year he came out, he decided to transfer from North Dakota State instead, and he got the COVID year and now he's in this draft. Where would number one? What would he have done in his college career? Yeah, I guarantee you he would have blown it up. He would have the same stats that all these guys have, and he'd be right there in the mix and we'd be.
Speaker 5: Talking field you doing the combine.
Speaker 3: We'd be talking about seven quarterbacks going to the top twelve pigs instead of six.
Speaker 4: Let me throw this out, since we're talking about quarterbacks that get older, how old was Tony Romo when he first got his start in two thousand and six?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm going to look that up for you, you vamp for just a moment.
Speaker 4: And you might even check to see when he became the official backup in two thousand.
Speaker 3: His birthdays April twenty first. He was born in nineteen eighty, so, and he would have been twenty six and a half years old when he became the Cowboys starting quarterback in the two thousand and six season.
Speaker 4: And he ended up being the backup in two thousand and five, but never really got.
Speaker 3: To play until he was twenty five. Then twenty five, Okay, the start back well, yeah, he.
Speaker 8: Was forty, But no, that's that's a good point because it's you're looking at these different age groups and categories, and you know, it all plays a part in how many years these guys have been into the league and really what you know, might be the best age group that starts fitting into those premier quarterback positions.
Speaker 4: And if you think about it, Romo never established himself as Romo until he got to play in some preseason and it was like, oh, maybe this guy's got something because I remember his rookie year. He couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. He was so inaccurate.
Speaker 5: That was plus als. It wasn't crazy about the.
Speaker 4: You know, and and but they kept him as the third guy, and then he's going to get cut the next year, and then they they, you know, cut Quincy Carter got fed up with him, and he would have been the fourth quarterback that year had had Quincy Carter remained the stuff.
Speaker 3: Stabach was twenty eight when he made his first appearance in an NFL game in nineteen seventy.
Speaker 5: It wasn't even starting. You just said eight.
Speaker 3: Game, eight games, three starts in nineteen seventy. I got hurt and so he was twenty eight years old then, and that season, Craig Morton was the starting quarterback in the Super Bowl. In seventy one, Stabach took over and age twenty nine, won the Super Bowl.
Speaker 5: When were they doing the alternating possession?
Speaker 3: That was in the seventy one seeds seventy one seed and then, no, it wasn't a disaster. No, it wasn't a disaster because after that game, a loss to the Chicago Bears, Landry had to make the decision to go with one over the other. And it was Roger. It was Roger. It was Roger, and they were did straight games and won the Super Bowl. So it turned in to does he just hat trigger, didn't it? That's right?
Speaker 5: I'm interceptions from the bench man.
Speaker 6: I'm still mad about that, right, come on, I don't trust him, Damn coach what you.
Speaker 3: Need, Like Randy White.
Speaker 4: Was not an immediate starter, so Staubach would have got there, and so nine.
Speaker 3: And also Patrick Mahomes had to wait. There you go, and now Trey Lynch is having to wait.
Speaker 15: Also we've got we've we got our Patrick Mahomes right here in the house right now, all right, we figured it out, all right, So don't draft a quarterback.
Speaker 3: We've already got one house right now. He's the next Patrick Mahomes. And we continue with more mixed shots brought to you by Miller Lyte in just a moment.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 16: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can cracks a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday mornings Swagger, Brisky and the Smoker. Miller Lite and the Cook, America's team playing America's greatest school. Miller Lite the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly. Twenty twenty three miliber own company, fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 12: Did you know they're responding to one spam call can lead to more? Or that the IRS would never ask for your Social Security number on the phone. Beat scammers at their own game. By subscribing to AARP fraud Watch Network alerts and texts. At AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX, you can sign up to receive information that helps you recognize and avoid the latest scams. That's AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX.
Speaker 10: You know that sound anywhere. It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for. Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of cool pepsi. Finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 5: That's what I like.
Speaker 1: Demic Shuts.
Speaker 8: The eleventh annual Reliant Home Run Derby is back at ryders Field in Frisco on May first, at six pm. Come see your favorite Dallas Cowboys players swing for the Fences to raise money for the Salvation Army. Admission and parking are free. Visit Dallascowboys dot com slash reliant.
Speaker 11: H r D to learn more.
Speaker 5: See you there, good job as always.
Speaker 3: Thank you. One thing about the UFL games I was surprised by on Saturday, although I didn't sit there and watch a lot, but I did see something. They aren't using the kickoff rule.
Speaker 4: That say, it was weird.
Speaker 3: NFL adopt they used.
Speaker 4: The USFL rule. But then I saw towards the end of the game they went to the XFL rule.
Speaker 3: Oh they did one time.
Speaker 4: I saw it because they kicked off and they were lined up five yards apart from each.
Speaker 3: Other at the forty at the at the receiving team five yard line. Yeah, so they did.
Speaker 4: They did use just one time because the other kick off. That's why I turned it on. I wanted to see it, and they kicked off normally.
Speaker 8: So is it optional that like you can pick which how how I would have to.
Speaker 4: Ask somebody else, you know?
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 6: I very confused on that because they made a big deal about it, and that's not using.
Speaker 8: It, and now it's implemented until this next season for the NFL.
Speaker 4: So I saw it would be interesting enough. I saw him kicked off normally the one time crazy, but then I saw the other way interesting.
Speaker 3: We'll have to get to the bottom of that. I'm sure there are people shouting at their podcast, right, that's that. It was a case of I need to be more like an attorney. When I ask a question, I know the answer the answer, so, but we haven't had a chance. We talked about it last week and after our show last week they implemented it. They decided to go with a kickoff rule. So now that it's official, what are you thinking?
Speaker 5: What to me?
Speaker 6: Oh, that's right, I sent it to you, but it would happen that surprise.
Speaker 5: I sent that to you. I'm the guy as soon as we finished.
Speaker 4: Well, they voted it in on Tuesday. Yeah, that's why I said. When I answered the question, I said, you can listen to mix shots.
Speaker 5: We were all get there.
Speaker 8: See, I needed a visual on it, so producer Supreme helped me out and sent me what that looks like, just because I needed to visualize how that kickoff would work.
Speaker 4: But oh, I'm I'm for it. The kickoff was the most boring thing in the NFL.
Speaker 8: And the owners voted on it. They it was twenty nine to three on the vote, so.
Speaker 4: And they needed twenty four to approve it. So it's a one year deal. It's temporary. You're going to see how it goes. I think it's going to be maybe I'm not going to say a lot, but there's a lot for the officials to look at, like jumping off sides. The kick's got to be between the twenty and the goal line, you know, just how the whole thing. No one moves before the ball either is caught or hits the ground. There's a lot for the officials to have to digest on these kickoffs. No longer just looking to see that no one's off sides right. And they have.
Speaker 5: More referees on the field than NFL.
Speaker 4: I doubt it probably have less or the same, but yeah, they're going to have to be more aware of the kickoff instead of just running up. Give them the ball to put on the tee and then everybody gets in place right and they look for a block in the back or a hole on the return that doesn't happen.
Speaker 8: Well, I have just a suggestion, I say, is a collective group here. Maybe we all take an outing to one of the Arlington Renegades games and we'll check.
Speaker 3: It out ourselves.
Speaker 5: You guys man ruin my reputation.
Speaker 4: We'll sit in the stands. Douglas and I went to one of those, the XFL game. It's so fun at Globe Light is it stadium? The old one?
Speaker 6: I think The one time I went got awful hot, and that was I did not have a good time.
Speaker 5: It was burning up. That was not good.
Speaker 4: Well, what do you expect? You live here for sixty years.
Speaker 5: So should not be football in the summer time?
Speaker 3: All right, I don't have to do more research on this UFL case. Yeah, I can't do it during the show.
Speaker 5: All right, I have it.
Speaker 2: If you want it, would you like it?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 2: So she says sorry, Producer Supreme, It says, I'm sorry, I just lost that.
Speaker 3: Oh you got to keep that tag, Producer Supreme. You'll find it. Yeah, give me a second, okay, all right. In the meantime, Mickey, what else is on your legal pad?
Speaker 4: Well, I've got a lot, but we're getting close to you. It'll take too much time.
Speaker 3: Well, give us a tease for next week.
Speaker 4: Then, so my column on Friday, the Cowboys keep talking about draft and develop Steven keeps mentioning that we need young guys to step up. So I went through the roster to look at all the young guys that they're going to need stuff out of right, because they're not going to be able to participate in free agency unless somebody just comes out of here and signs out of the grace of their heart right to take a two million dollar deal, which, by the way, on Jonathan Hankins, I understand the Cowboys. I mean, he didn't get much from the Seahawks, but it sounded like he wanted to play for Aiden Dirty because he became the defensive coordinator for the Seahawks because they were willing to match that. And it wasn't much.
Speaker 5: It's all so yeah.
Speaker 4: So anyway, I was just looking at and we'll just tease it with the offensive line. If you're looking at young guys that they need to step up, I mean, right now, brock Hoffman is your center. I don't know where they're going to find a center in the draft. You draft a center that high into the first round.
Speaker 3: You drafted Travis Frederick.
Speaker 4: And they did, and it was a a good move. Is there Travis Frederick out?
Speaker 3: There is Jackson Powers Johnson?
Speaker 5: Travis Frederick up, He's in the notebook. Why wanted you to do this? He brought the notebook. He has no iPad.
Speaker 6: He brought the notebook because that's his only relevance to this.
Speaker 4: Show out the offensive The offensive line needs two starters. You neither either a tackle or a guard in the center or a tackle in the center.
Speaker 3: All right, so let me as show you would you would you? I would? Would you draft an offensive tackle at twenty four? And would you trade your second and third round pick to move up to early second round or whatever to get to get at a center?
Speaker 4: That's that's a high price, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Trying to show up your offensive line?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 3: But in let's say the top center, it is available at thirty four, like where DeMarcus Lawrence was picked. Okay, and the Cowboys when they went to get de Marcus Lawrence in twenty fourteen, they packaged their second and third, moved up to thirty four and took Lawrence. All right, you've already taken your tackle at twenty four. Now would you take your second and third round pick to go get that center.
Speaker 4: So the point I was making was, do you have somebody on your roster that saves you a second and third round Pickay, can brock Hoffman do it? Can TJ? Bass play guard? If Tyler Smith moved to tackle to tackle? And then you've got to look at well, let's go ball and awesome Richards? So can you develop guys to take critical spots on your roster? And those are decisions that they're going to have to be right at when they make it.
Speaker 5: And who was our offensive line coach?
Speaker 3: Mike Slari?
Speaker 4: Mike Silari?
Speaker 5: Can he do it?
Speaker 4: Can he develop these?
Speaker 5: Yes? Can he develop these?
Speaker 4: They like brock Hoffman? Now they got to decide and you got to be right. Is he as a second year player, undrafted rookie, can he start at center for you? And is that better or as good as what I get in the draft?
Speaker 5: And so what do you want in the draft? Bill?
Speaker 3: Well, if you would, you like a history lesson on Mike Solari and who he's So it was.
Speaker 5: Thank you yes, because he didn't answer the question right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: In Kansas City, Okay, this is going back to nineteen ninety seven, he was the offensive line coach with the Kansas City Chiefs, and in fact, in ninety nine they drafted a tackle, John Tate, with a fourteenth overall pick. But in two thousand and two he coached Willie Roafe. Willie Roe, a Hall of Famer who he came over at age thirty two, Okay, who was a former first round draft pick from nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 3: He also on that offensive line, by the way, he had Brian Waters starting at left guard, who's a lot like Tyler Smith, Okay, and was a six time Pro Bowler out of Watsa Hatchie, Texas. And he had others on that offensive line where that were I mean, it was one of the best offensive lines you could put together. He goes to Seattle in two thousand and eight, and who was the Hall of Famer that he coached there, Walter Jones. Okay. Fast forward, he's with San Francisco Joe Staley, six time Pro Bowler offensive tackle who was a first round draft pick. He coached there. Then in Seattle Dwayne Brown, a five time Pro Bowler, he coached him there, and here in Dallas last year a Tyrant and Tyler And.
Speaker 6: Now the only difference is where those round draft picks. I want to know what to do, guy, What can you do with those guys? That's what I want to know.
Speaker 4: Well, and just remember that in the early nineties, until Larry Allen got there as a second round pick, nobody was drafted higher than Eric Williams as a third round pick. So they took just guys. Nate Newton shows up in eighty six, right, ends up being a bowler that day, right, Mark Tony shows up in eighty three, not drafted, drafted, and these guys over time built one of the best offensive lines in the NFL.
Speaker 5: It did not happen right the way. It did not happen right away.
Speaker 3: That was before free agency, and so they had time they should they should did they that time?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 4: I think Gogan was maybe a seventh round pick, so.
Speaker 5: And one of the funniest guys ever.
Speaker 4: You just can't have a first round pick in every position on your offensive line. You already have, well, you have two, right, you had three when Tyron was there.
Speaker 6: And you know the only difference between those guys in the nineties and the guys that you have right now. The guys in the nineties, they were funny, all of them. Had great sensitive humor.
Speaker 3: Tyler Smith has a great personality. He really he might be.
Speaker 5: The only one.
Speaker 6: Everyone else they were so funny to Mark two and they was very funny.
Speaker 3: Actually, Nate Newton Hill.
Speaker 5: Let Gogan was out of his mind. That's right. Those guys were so.
Speaker 3: We found what it takes to become a super Bowl offensive line. Nate, you gotta be somenny.
Speaker 5: Guys. The leader. Nate's the leader.
Speaker 3: Crawford Kerr was funny, Yes he was.
Speaker 5: Kerr was funny. Now he owns a bunch of wing joints.
Speaker 4: Come on, hey, daddy, it ain't me. Instead of the center, he turns around and goes say, daddy, it is me.
Speaker 6: Come on, man, I mean that's just off the cuff, right off the cuff in the game situation. That's hilarious. You can't get you couldn't. You couldn't get that with this group out here.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: By the way, if they draft Jackson powers Johnson, he's a funny.
Speaker 5: That was the best group.
Speaker 3: Is Jason Kelsey a funny guy?
Speaker 5: Yes, he's hilarious. Halfway off is what I'm afraid of. I think.
Speaker 3: I think there's my first round, late first round prediction that the Eagles are going to draft this Jackson powers Johnson to replace.
Speaker 6: Should you imagine if the Cowboys were doing well, Nate Newton was in the suite somewhere and he took his shirt off and was drinking beer.
Speaker 5: Could you just imagine that was that was the good one. That's a good one. This stuff.
Speaker 4: Gogan fixed Troy Aikman's finger when it dislocated, and then get back to the huddle and am goes here, pull it. You mean he goes pull it and Gogan pulled it back to place Savannah.
Speaker 3: You missed it with the Cowboys in the nineties and ever since. Cowboys in the eighties.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they were crazy.
Speaker 3: There were personalities on those teams that we don't see to and I'm sure there are personalities on this team, but we don't know. We don't we don't get exposed to it because we're not in the locker room like we were back then, or out on the vestor field where.
Speaker 4: We didn't have the same uh are they're not in the locker.
Speaker 6: In the eighties were not that's funny, but you had everybody else on the on the team was right.
Speaker 3: I remember going out to training camp in thousand oh, it was. It was like one guy after they're all great interviews.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, to know what happened.
Speaker 4: He didn't like talking to the media, but he was hilarious. He was and he was a jokester.
Speaker 5: He was a prankster.
Speaker 8: He was Sam Williams, he's another one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, okay, Sam Williams.
Speaker 8: He's got a great.
Speaker 4: Person, right, yep, uh, good stuff, which is on my list of young guys that need to step up. By the way we get to.
Speaker 3: That, is there another common denominator among those offensive linemen. Were they badasses too?
Speaker 6: In the nineties. They were bad asses, those guys. They were not the nice guys that we had in the eighties. We had nice guys names Scott, Come on, these guys, Peter.
Speaker 5: Talk the guys in the nineties.
Speaker 3: So the profile for the offensive lineman that you want would be, what the.
Speaker 6: Way that Jimmy Johnson likes his lineman, that's what they that's what they should have here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they should keep that here.
Speaker 6: But the ages, everybody was crazy in the eighties except for the offensive lineman.
Speaker 3: And the only guy who wasn't a brash well, Eric Williams would didn't.
Speaker 5: Say a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was a badass.
Speaker 3: The other one he was crazy and Larry Allen.
Speaker 5: No, but it was crazy.
Speaker 4: You know when people used to ask me, which one of those offensive linemen do you would want with you in a dark alley and help, well, it would have been Eric before that it.
Speaker 5: Was yeah, oh yeah, yeah, no doubt was he was. He was scared. He's a little scared.
Speaker 4: He would never know it because he didn't talk very much. God bless his soul.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: Which, by the way, I finally got to watch the documentary they did here on Mark tw It was really really good.
Speaker 5: I've never seen it.
Speaker 4: It's on the website.
Speaker 5: Check it out, look it up.
Speaker 4: But I did the interview. Yeah, I did the interview with his wife and she she was great and gracious, but Gogan talked about him.
Speaker 6: I still have I had his stepmaster as of last month. But the weekend that he died, we went to see Pono. She was getting rid of stuff, you know, it's trying to take care of the fans. They gave me a StairMaster. Wow, I had the stair master for it still works, and no, I just got rid of it. Finally stopped last month, for real, it finally stopped last month.
Speaker 5: It wouldn't take. So I was on that thing. God whenever that was too like two months ago. Wow, that's crazy.
Speaker 4: It's really good because and Michael Irvin, I thought, said one of the best things he goes. We need to remember how he lived, not how he doubt. It was a great mm hmm.
Speaker 3: All right, Well that does it for this edition of Big Shots. Do you want me to keep filling up my green notebook?
Speaker 4: I just want you to get to the bottom of that kickoff in the uff?
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, what happened?
Speaker 4: Chris went it? No?
Speaker 3: I told him, no, we went We went on a tangent in a different direction. Okay, he's got the what we needed.
Speaker 2: They're doing a standard one mick, but they're starting on the twenty so there's no touchbacks.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, so they just pushed back the kickoff to yes, the twenty yard I got you.
Speaker 2: So the one crazy change they did was onside kicks. You can onside kick or do a fourth and twelve from the thirty three yard line.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I like that.
Speaker 2: And if you make it, you keep going. If you don't, the other team gets it right there.
Speaker 3: Too much of a thirty three I don't know why they picked the thirty three yards.
Speaker 2: I don't know, this is a thirty three yard line? Well, probably they have to go twelve yards.
Speaker 4: You got to get to fifty.
Speaker 5: It's easy to judge. Yeah, you know, what's the yard line for? I mean, what the com on?
Speaker 3: Well, I guess if you were incomplete, then the the receiving team takes over at the thirty three Yes, opposite. So that's a fifty one yard field goal.
Speaker 5: And what is that proving to me?
Speaker 3: We really need a time.
Speaker 5: Y'all are losing me. I'm going further far away. We're going out.
Speaker 3: Okay, do your research for next week. All right, We'll see you again next Monday at eleven here on Mickshot No Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.