Speaker 1: This is the Meat Eater Podcast coming at you shirtless, severely, bug bitten, and in my case, underwear listeningcast, you can't predict anything.
Speaker 2: The meat Eater podcast is brought to you by First Light. Whether you're checking trail cams, hanging deer stands, or scouting for el First Light has performance apparel to support every hunter in every environment. Check it out at first light dot com. F I R S T L I T E dot com. Okay, everybody, We're recording in Nashville, Tennessee, and I'm in a very tight spot as a podcast host because I'm plugging a different podcast. So theoretically you can turn this one off and turn a newer, perhaps better one on. Like already, I like that already. The Gods Country, not the God God's Country, not.
Speaker 3: Though, why are you God's Country podcast?
Speaker 2: God's Country Podcast is live right now, as you're listening to this, as you're listening through magic of the magic of show business. As you're listening to this, it's live right now. The first episode dropped this past Tuesday. From your perspective as a listener, today, January sixteenth is the actual date from your listener perspective listening right now the second episode is coming out tomorrow. If in fact, you listen to this show on the day it comes out, what.
Speaker 4: Just happened?
Speaker 2: What happened is bad producing. You take this up with cringe niner.
Speaker 5: Oh, don't say anything, he's.
Speaker 2: Not with us today. God's Country Podcast will launch on a weekly cadence. First episode January six first episode out January sixteenth. So from there you can just track in your calendar what day of the week is that Tuesday?
Speaker 6: Tuesday?
Speaker 2: So Tuesday releases every Tuesday, right every Tuesday, so you get the Meat Eater Podcast on Monday, God's Country Podcast on Tuesday. I'm sitting here with a collection of folks instrumental in the creation and launching of God's Country, including Dan Reied, Isabelle is bo there who've been on the show before?
Speaker 6: Yeah man, yeah man.
Speaker 2: One time.
Speaker 6: Where are we talking video show or are we talking podcast?
Speaker 2: You were on the podcast we recorded one time in a tour bus. We recorded on a tour bus in Wyoming. Does remember following we recorded, you guys came on the show and we talked about the business. Among other things, we talked about the business of country music. Because you guys are both I don't know what the hell you call your lunch contractual contracted professional songwriters.
Speaker 5: I want to hear more about the Mississippi Cold Shoulder.
Speaker 6: Well, when we got there, I think I told this then, But when Steve came up, he's real tough and like wasn't like, hey, how you doing to see.
Speaker 7: Actually spoke through Yan. He was like, Yanny, tell these guys that were about.
Speaker 6: Steve, Steve Steve, and then he just jumped in the truck drove off.
Speaker 2: Because I was trying to get I was trying to get some stuff.
Speaker 6: Squared justified it on the other podcast.
Speaker 2: I was trying to get some things squared away for our our deal square his things squared up. Also joined today by my wife Katie uh not Ranellae.
Speaker 7: There we go, Katie Finch, who has that's the thing we need to talk about that thing?
Speaker 2: Oh no, I'd like to Yeah, great, I'd like to put a tonnel work into God's Country podcast and Jordans. She thought her name.
Speaker 7: Was Isabelle un till earlier today, been married a couple of years and with all due respect the m v P m V of this podcast question.
Speaker 3: A lot of therapy went into getting us to this point.
Speaker 2: Uh, So we're gonna do our normal thing where we get into all kinds of stuff, but go I'd like you guys just do your own intros real quick too. Just just talk a little bit about yourself that you work up eighth mile from here. Yeah, we're saying that you have an injured finger. I do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're currently on music row.
Speaker 7: I write at fifty Egg Music, which is I think it's just this way. I don't know if that's north or south or whatever, this way about eighth of a mile. Then Dan's at Sony. He works at Sony down here, probably eighth and mile that way.
Speaker 2: So that's you guys work for competing outfits. Yeah, yeah, you could say that.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, but you know, it's a it's.
Speaker 6: It's a friendly competition though it's it's more like be because they all kind of have to work together in order to get songs in different places.
Speaker 7: That makes sense, Yeah, okay, Yeah, it's competing outfits.
Speaker 4: But at the same time, like we work together all the.
Speaker 6: Time, like we write songs, and it's not weird to write with other people's companies, got it, because you need you need that different angle to get a song cut as well. As like a different perspective.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just helped my my younger son work through a couple of kinks of a song he was working on called Twinkle Little.
Speaker 7: Star beautiful rendition of Twin Little Star Twinkle they do Twinkle Twinkle, which is that officially called twin.
Speaker 6: He did great, he just needed a little, Uh, we'll push something you need that.
Speaker 2: You remember me getting the outfit you work for.
Speaker 7: It's fifty egg music and they got that. They got that sing from the movie cool Hand Luke.
Speaker 2: Oh okay when he eats all those eggs.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they said they can't eat fifty eggs, and he eats them. But usually this is where this is Monday that we're sitting here recording this. Usually this town, I mean, the roads would be jammed up with cars and trucks and all of these back parking lots writing songs, and the the food how or the restaurants would be jam up with people eating. But today there's probably what four inches of snow on the ground, and I would venture to say that we're one of the only ones doing anything productive on the road today.
Speaker 6: National is looking for a reason to not do nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, part of the reason today would be They asked you to not do nothing to greed. True.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that's that's right.
Speaker 2: It's like during the pandemic when you felt bad going and doing stuff.
Speaker 4: Those are good.
Speaker 6: I didn't feel bad about that.
Speaker 2: We had a thing where they said outdoor recreation is a okay, but don't go anywhere. So it put you in a mind like we would go five six hours to outdoor recreate and it felt like, so am I under the outdoor wreck or my under the not go anywhere?
Speaker 6: Well, I think as long as you stay. I mean, my own justification was as long as you stay, you know, relatively spaced out. Are we talking about COVID again?
Speaker 2: Four years that when you when you're when you're writing, are you sitting in a couch like this? Yeah?
Speaker 7: Man, yeah, Well in my place if i'm writing, I've got to room up here.
Speaker 6: Wait, you want a little skit one, a little skit of how this goes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a couch?
Speaker 6: Hey man, I heard Jake Owen was cutting. I had a thing like this.
Speaker 2: Oh cool.
Speaker 4: I think he needs an up tempo.
Speaker 6: He needs an up tempo.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to see his different he's a positive. I think he's a positive.
Speaker 6: So he has different knowledge than I have, right, even me saying, hey, good to see this morning.
Speaker 2: Let's can you back it up a minute? Sure, how did the conversation start?
Speaker 6: What's up, dude?
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 8: Thing?
Speaker 6: I heard Jake Cowen's cutting? Uh yeah, I've heard.
Speaker 4: I heard he needs like a positive up tempo.
Speaker 6: Who told you that?
Speaker 4: My publisher?
Speaker 2: So someone's pretty assembling his album and they said you need a positive up tempo.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because he's got it. I've heard he's got a sad song.
Speaker 7: I've heard he's got a dad song, a couple of heartbreaks, a couple of heartbreaks.
Speaker 2: Wait, why is this funny to you? This is not the construction of an album. No, No, like I like that. There's this we're just using.
Speaker 4: Like, Okay, j could probably use a positive Okay.
Speaker 2: He's got a sad song, he's got a dad song, he's got heartbreak songs. Yeah, so he needs a party.
Speaker 6: So I'm not gonna go. Yeah, because I already know he has it.
Speaker 7: Chances of getting that thing and beating something he already has is way less.
Speaker 6: Than Okay, he needs a up tempo. We start there, got any hooks? Uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Man, I was fishing the other day and my dad said this.
Speaker 6: What did he say going up?
Speaker 2: He said, fresh set of eyes will always find more beans.
Speaker 4: He said, saying, f fun little beans.
Speaker 6: It's a little old school. I don't know what.
Speaker 2: It means, but we can figure it out any day.
Speaker 4: So what don't we write a song that is.
Speaker 6: Say yeah, Then we go, oh, you didn't say an aron there? What's a cool aron? And we try to make that fit because that's what based on the information that he has and that I have, we know that there's a space there. We're commercial riders. Not everything that comes out of us has to be well. My great granddaddy told me passed down the line this saying, sometimes it's just, hey, what does this guy need? We're commercial riders. We're hired in order to do to fill that need.
Speaker 2: Right, do you have particular specialties within that, yes, Like, how would you describe Well, I.
Speaker 6: Mean it depends on different Different writers have different strengths, right, So I think I mean.
Speaker 7: It's a good example of us sitting right here right now. Like I would consider myself a melody guy. I can write a lyric, but I feel like melodies in my head are my first go to. Like when Dan, if Dan plays a song, I'm not gonna say what if the first verse said this, I'm gonna go what if it sounded like this?
Speaker 4: And do the the ups.
Speaker 7: And downs of a melody to a you know of a verse melody and then which is completely different than a chorus melody.
Speaker 4: And that is my strength.
Speaker 6: Dynamically speaking, right like you obviously obviously want your verse melody to be somewhere in a in a range that you can lift from in order to create emotion in the course, create an emotional lift in the course.
Speaker 4: But Dan is I would consider Dan. We can we can.
Speaker 7: Both of us can do all the I feel like can do, are really good at doing all the things. But Dan's strongest specialty that you know, that you say is a lyric, painting a picture, getting some getting a listener to see what we're saying.
Speaker 4: And Dan's, you know, really really good at that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well some good.
Speaker 6: I'm good. I'm good all around.
Speaker 2: Can you cover off real quick on your finger injury?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so I smashed my left index that's an index finger with a set of rattling horns.
Speaker 2: Last week because you didn't cut the brawd times.
Speaker 4: I didn't cut that, I didn't listen to my dad.
Speaker 2: Daddy told her I cut the broad times off there day, did you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 8: We Uh?
Speaker 6: I was.
Speaker 7: We were going down for a week rut hunt last week and I found I got a pair of horns and found him, got him, found him. Uh, found him on our property. Actually, we can get into this a little bit.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 7: I was bow hunting, sitting in my stand and I heard the wildest like grunt slash roar I've ever heard in my life behind me and I'm sitting out there in the world.
Speaker 4: It's, you know, far away from anybody. So my first thought it was what is that? It happened again?
Speaker 7: Thought it was a bull hung in a fence, and then a cow, yeah, like an actual cow like. And then I heard it grunting like a buck like, and this is We're getting close to the runt when this was going down, So I was like, man, what is going on? I called Dan a video to send him a video. He's like, dude, you need to go check that out. I went back there and got down out of your tree, got down on my tree to go investigate, and found a three year old buck that had the back end of it chewed off by coyotes.
Speaker 2: Why was he grunting because.
Speaker 4: He was getting eat in a life like it was it was a oh he was bellering.
Speaker 7: It was a grunt. It was like a roar, like a like a yeah, it was real. I'll show you the video. Anyway, found that deer.
Speaker 2: Was the coyotes still on him.
Speaker 7: No, they ran off, tagged him, take him, took him in, cut the backstraps out of him, and then cut his horns off to make some rattling horns. Just so you know, Man, so I didn't we and throwing, you know, just yeah joker, yeah, huh so that was the pair of antlers I was using. And yeah, before going down to the hunt, my dad was like, hey, you better cut these brastones off.
Speaker 2: So you said to that buck, You're like, you won't be need knees anymore.
Speaker 4: Dang right, you're gonna help me.
Speaker 7: Ye went down to Mississippi, ended up not cutting the brow toones off. Last morning, I go in for a sequence and man, I smoked my finger and it's pretty much if you if you took pliers and tried to rip the side of your index finger off, that's pretty.
Speaker 6: Much what happened.
Speaker 4: Stitched it up, quick, stitch.
Speaker 2: I'm chilling bro, when you say a sequence, what do you mean? I mean, I don't know what you mean, but do you have a philosophy?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 4: Not really, I think uh.
Speaker 6: The initial you were talking about that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, sequence.
Speaker 7: I mean I'm I'm not gonna sit there and bang them all day, you know. When when it comes to I just try to recreate a fight that I've heard in the while before, and and that's usually a big bang at the front, some rattling in between. What I what I really am kind of intrigued at it is, and I've heard people doing now is is taking two or three sets of rolling horns, tying them to a rope, dropping them on the ground from your stand. So when you're rating your sinquts starts, you just start picking up that rope and it's hitting the ground, making leaves move, cracking limbs and stuff and making like noise ground level with the deer and as well as like you've got the leaf noise going on and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: So that is when they come. You know, people say the turkey, that turkey knows what tree you're sitting against. Absolutely, you know what I mean. Yeah, I've always heard they come, even when we were messing around recently with posturing decoys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, buck decoys in which which way?
Speaker 2: But when that buck comes in, he's like, got it. I see the decoy, but I know that under that tree there should be another deer. Yeah, I mean they're.
Speaker 4: Like aware of boat for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't go like, oh, there it is. They're like, well, there he is, But what about what I know should be here?
Speaker 7: I've always heard that that too. The turkey thing is like, it doesn't matter how far turkey is. If you hit to yelp, call or whatever, he could pinpoint within ten yards of where you're sitting. And if he's enticed to come check it out, he's gonna be better be ready because he's coming. And same thing with a buck. I mean you've rattled in deer before, is you know you better? You better rattle and then set your horns down and get ready because if a buck's if a buck hears that and it triggers that innate fight to survive, I got to get over there check it out. He's not taking his time like he's he's gonna rumble in. And that actually is what happened. When this happened, I hit my finger and I wear cut off gloves when I'm bow hunting, so my hands were frozen anyway. So when I hit it, I knew it hurt. And I looked down at it and it was just, I mean, there was blood everywhere. So I start to wrap it up.
Speaker 2: And I hear.
Speaker 7: And I look up and luckily it wasn't a dear that I was, you gonna shoot And a three year old eight point ran in thirty yards from my tree and just you know, went down window of me checking it out and looking and didn't see anything.
Speaker 6: Scared us. He said us a picture he was like, got a blood trail and there was blood all over the leaves and he hurt his finger up where it was.
Speaker 2: Everybody was like yes.
Speaker 4: I was like yes from I wish that was because everybody's.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, he got one, he shot one.
Speaker 6: He was like, no, just busted his own ship.
Speaker 2: There's a we hit it on a thing this year. I'm not going to talk about rattling all hour here, but we had another thing this year. Is when you know, you know that buck, he's gonna know where that rattling noise is coming from, and he's gonna come down wind of it, right, and he's gonna come down wind of it twenty or thirty yards, No doubt. We hit an on a thing this year. The rattler, the rattling person sets up and then you go fifty yards. Then the archer goes fifty yards down wind of the rattler. That way that bark bam comes running in right on top of them, staring in the direction that thinks it is never even would think to look further down wind. But then one thing is I when I was hunting with with Seth, you guys meet Seth if you mess uth, Yeah we did. Yeah, I had to. I almost had to decide if I was gonna risk piercing him with the arrow. I mean, because that buck stopped and I'm like, man, I hope he's in sess that he could see the buck And he started trying to slip.
Speaker 4: Down in the Did did come between them on the tree?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, big time? And I had to shoot earlier, and I wanted to because I was watching him at what point it was going to go through and get set really and he said he could see it happen, and he started trying to melt into the ground. Thinking about what that think about?
Speaker 6: This guy sounded real desperate to kill a deer here. Man.
Speaker 7: Gee, that's a big that's a big turkey strategy is the caller if a turkey's not coming in, if he's hanging up at one hundred yards, and the call if you're you know, a couple of guys sitting there, you got a shoot her in a collar. The caller is gonna, you know, a good strategy to drop back, to continue to drop back like that hen is walking away, which will entice that turkey come coming forward.
Speaker 2: Uh, Jordan, you you so you tangle up the music business too.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So I'm a marketing director for label group here in town, based out of LA but I kind.
Speaker 3: Of head up there Nashville.
Speaker 2: But you can't say who.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Virgin Music Group.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so they're playing people.
Speaker 8: Is we don't get a discount though at the hotels for the curises.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we passed one of their hotels right here here, No discount, no discount. Take the eighth of a mile, yeah, eight of them.
Speaker 8: And so yeah, and then kind of helping these guys. Our brains work very differently.
Speaker 4: Helping is not wrangling is a leading.
Speaker 6: I mean we just kind of show up and do it.
Speaker 4: She says lassoing, Yeah, herding, Yeah, hurting.
Speaker 8: Like this morning, for example, they were sitting at the kitchen table.
Speaker 2: Oh, don't just say were I was in the same house.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, Dan came.
Speaker 7: No, we do live ten minutes apart from each We did live. We're eight from a mile.
Speaker 8: But Dan came over this morning. Dan was holding one of my babies. And but they are sitting at the kitchen table talking about buying trucks, and the conversation just will not end.
Speaker 7: Well it was it was eight forty five, and Jordan was like, we gotta be out of here at nine, and I've got sweatpants on a T shirt.
Speaker 3: She said, nine thirty fifteen, And I just I don't know.
Speaker 8: I also think being late is like a son of rudeness, and so I am always just like, okay, let's go whatever.
Speaker 4: And she walked in with a baby. This is weird.
Speaker 7: I was sitting down like this and my my feet propped sweatpant, my feet propped up on a chair. Jordan had a baby in her arms. I was drinking coffee. You know, she's we gotta go.
Speaker 2: You concrete boots on yet? Or I had that No, not yet.
Speaker 4: Not yet creep. These things are mean.
Speaker 6: This is cold.
Speaker 4: But Dan sitting there.
Speaker 2: Jordan deadly too. If you lived in the North, you know better, dude.
Speaker 6: My feet are freezing.
Speaker 2: Eat it too. On ice going, you'll have good working on concrete. That's good.
Speaker 7: Jordan walked in and goes hey, And this is how, this is why she works with me and Dan and she she walks in and goes, hey, I love you guys.
Speaker 4: I think you guys are great.
Speaker 7: She was like, yeah, to go, like, quit talking about buying a truck and go put some pants in your in your concrete boots.
Speaker 3: And they were both like, Okay, what have we gotta do?
Speaker 8: And I was like, snow needs to get off the truck, Dan, truck read shower, do something and but yeah, so I guess in wrangling these you.
Speaker 3: Hoo's, it's been fun great.
Speaker 2: And then Katie, I.
Speaker 5: Noticed your little about Jordan's common about being late. Yeah, yeah, that is one of the main things that Steve and I argue about it.
Speaker 3: So are you always on Tom or.
Speaker 2: I'm a mint man, dude? You know what a minute mann with the American Revolution.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we our kids were talking. They all try to be minimum. Our youngest is the only one who.
Speaker 2: Oh dude, he's fast.
Speaker 5: He is always ready for school on time. Anyway you asked me, I'm I am your wife, and I work at meat Eater, do a variety of things and have the amazing fortune of getting to work with you guys on this podcast. So excited.
Speaker 2: Do you just know we met through publishing? I didn't know that I did. And then Dan go ahead, Uh, what talk about? We talk about your line of work.
Speaker 6: Oh, it's the same as rates. We do the same thing. We already covered that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, same thing. Great.
Speaker 2: So we're gonna we're gonna do a couple things that we're gonna get into. We're gonna get into the God's Country Podcast. No, you guys are not familiar. You're familiar now with my saying that I invented a freshet of eyes will always find more beans. I'll clarify where it came from. It came from when you'd send people to pick pole beans, as one does, they'll come and say, well I got them all. I'm like, and then I'll go out and there be more anybody, anybody.
Speaker 5: This is a very specific saying to our children, though I think it just applies.
Speaker 6: I'm really curious as to how you're applying this to your children though.
Speaker 5: No, it's like so like literally sending them outside to get pole beans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, what are you? What kind of you guys? Do bush beans or pole beans down here?
Speaker 6: What are we talking about it?
Speaker 2: Gardening?
Speaker 6: No? I don't. I don't.
Speaker 2: Okay, either way, I observed it like no matter who you how many people you send out, they'll you send them out. Like pick up pole beans is hard because they camouflage inside the trestle, O L E. Pole. Well, there's two. You have two varieties. So you have bush beans which have snap beans and great, but they they can be either or Okay, just just for clarity's sake. Uh, bush beans are already generally they're determinate, meaning they're already all at once, right, so for canning and stuff they're great. Then you can have indeterminate pole varieties, which is produce over a long period time. You will send as I've had to explains a bunch of times, you'll send someone out. You'll be like, hey, kids, go pick all the beans for dinner, and they'll come back, but we got them all. And then I'll go out and they didn't get them all there's more. So didn't you invent the saying or was this a past?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 2: I invented the saying A new old say, a new old saying, which means it means like a like. You can apply it to glassing, for instance, like no I glass that hillside out, there's no deer there. And then he's like the fresh at eyes, fresh set eyes. So we've got a lot of variations on this.
Speaker 6: I have a conflict with that statement working on.
Speaker 2: Song titles, and a guy said that he tried it on his wife the other night. She was looking in the she was looking in the pantry for vanilla extract. She couldn't find it, and he said, well, I'll come in and take a look, and she said, what good would that do? I'm already looking. He'd been wanting to use the expression. His wife's name is Kate. He wanted to use the expression, so he said it, and then in rep why, she called him the one word that no one has ever said on this podcast, see you next Tuesday, which made me think, what kind of wife's he got? What happened right there? What just happened doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: See you next Tuesday is way more than one word.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what he got called for applying to saying, now, we've been covering serious situations with TSA agents stealing your pocket knives, and we had a guy. We haven't been disclosing where any of these TSA agents are located because we want to get in trouble. But there's a TSA agent who tells people to go put it in the bathroom drop ceiling, and a guy goes to later get his knife, and he says that he finds multiple names, three other knives in the drop ceiling. Another TSA agent wrote in. He says, I worked for the TSA, and there have been many times that someone was caught while attempting to stash a knife in the ceiling tiles of a bathroom. They're usually caught by another passenger, who reports them to either TSA or the police at the airport. My suggestion this is coming from a TSA agent, which is what I've personally done. Put your knife inside of a planter, you're less It's less suspicious to see someone fiddling with a planter than someone in the bathroom fiddling with the drop tiles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: A guy wrote in about hunting strategies, you guys might be interested in this. He's talking about trying to kill town deer. Yeah, okay, he's observing when you're hunting town deer, and I've seen this. You're hunting town deer that are town Turkey's town deer. They're totally used to people. But the minute you go to hunt them, they know you're hunting them. He's saying, the reason that's happening is because you're acting different. You're dressing different, acting different. When he's hunting town deer, he acts like he's going to do a normal town thing, like go to the grocery, you put on normal clothes and don't go toward the deer. You tour to shed, Yeah, you don't go. You go like you're going tour to car crank a four wheeler out there. And he talks on his phone.
Speaker 5: And then he turns around and WAPs him.
Speaker 2: And he said it's so easy that he's gotten sick of it.
Speaker 4: So he's been successful with this.
Speaker 5: You sound angry about that.
Speaker 6: I'm a little angry about this.
Speaker 2: Well, he's like, Hey, I'll act if I'm trying to get a town deer. I'll act like I'm doing messive with my garbage. Because the minute you like get all your gear on and act weird and try sneaking up on it, it's like, what the the deer's like, hell's going out with this guy and he takes off.
Speaker 4: He's hunting me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like he doesn't like it. Yeah, so he said, just like you have it, be chill, do normal stuff. He like said, it works so good, this works so well. It ruined the whole experience.
Speaker 6: Oh beautiful.
Speaker 2: He's got a friend.
Speaker 4: This guy, go find some public land.
Speaker 2: He's got a friend. He says that hunt likes to hunt deer. He's mechanic and he hunts deer by the garage. He hunts in his mechanic clothes by the garage. And he said that he thinks it's the perfect all that grease is a good cover center.
Speaker 6: I just absolutely demolishes, like all the standards and bars that we were brought up on as far as like respecting everything and do it.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 6: It's just like, hey, man, just set up by the garage and your work suit, shoot some ship.
Speaker 5: So you don't think you should do it.
Speaker 6: I'm not saying I don't think you should do it. I would absolutely do it. I just think it. It just doesn't feel as good to make.
Speaker 2: Some weird you know what it is. It's it's it's well, go on, I'm good.
Speaker 6: I'm good.
Speaker 2: I used to so when I used to get on a plane and there was people in first class, I wanted to cut all their throats.
Speaker 6: I knew they were.
Speaker 2: On board, rich bastards. Came by it dishonesty, you know what I mean. Later you get then later you get where you start getting later, I know, but now now you know, Now I get out there, and I'm like, man, a bunch of hard working people, you know, a lot of sacrifices, a lot of sacrifices they made to be in this situation up here. You guys order Champagne to talk about down on people, the hunted town stuff. But now I have a yard that has a lot of town stuff in it, and I'm always plotting and devising how I would go about it. And the one neighbor I have right next to me is out in a different zone, a different municipality, administrative zone, and I'm envious. Even though you know, one of the commandments is don't covert that neighbor's property. I coveted his property because he would be at will to hunt the town stuff. So I'm saying I wouldn't look down on it. Now, I'm an aspirational town hunter, meaning it's just your situation varies.
Speaker 8: I mean, yeah, so you wouldn't you look the country correct back porch, a giant deer walks out across your backfield.
Speaker 6: Depends on how the years go, okay and what season.
Speaker 8: End of season, you haven't killed a buck yet, not see ya, you would shoot it.
Speaker 2: We recently looked at a property that's basically touching our property, and my only motivation looking at that property is that you were to have excellent town hunting.
Speaker 3: When you say townhunting, like, are you guys like in talking.
Speaker 2: About hunting habituated animals. Yeah, that was not.
Speaker 5: My motivation for looking at.
Speaker 2: That the truth, I'll still do normal stuff, but I was like, my like, this would give you a chance at town bears.
Speaker 6: I'm saying there's a different for me personally now, what I mean, honestly, ignorance is bliss too, right. If you didn't have the foundation I guess that we were brought up on, it probably wouldn't matter to me. I'm old now and there there is more to it for me than the animal. And I'm not trying to put myself on some purist pedestal here. I'm just saying it. It just I don't know that it would that it would bring the same satisfaction as because.
Speaker 5: You didn't feel like it.
Speaker 8: So there's a guy here in town. No, no, no, you and you guys probably know the story. But he was dating this girl who lived within city limits.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're doing it, you're doing she is doing it.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to say names. I'm not going to say names.
Speaker 8: The girl lives in East Nashville, very well known for having like town deer over there.
Speaker 2: Oh no, she's at a location.
Speaker 4: Big deer, and we're getting close.
Speaker 8: We're going to judge you if you shoot him, because you shouldn't shoot town deer.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 8: This guy is dating this girl. He and he had been watching this deer come up on her property. They ended up breaking up, and I don't really know what I think. They were kind of like talking still, and as a talking she sent him a picture of this giant buck in her backyard. Conveniently, they got back together and he shot it and then posted a picture on the internet.
Speaker 3: In his camera, like he shot it out and then he broke up with her the next day.
Speaker 9: Mom, like with that, Wow, but it's kind of funny you say that, Like he shot it off the back porch and his normal clothes, went inside, put his camera on, and then went outside and took the picture.
Speaker 5: With the deer.
Speaker 2: Well that that happened.
Speaker 3: One degree removed.
Speaker 2: But I like to be a very well rounded outdoorsman, Okay, Like I hunt a trap, I fish, I hunted some of the most I hunted some of the most remote places you can get to. And as the well roundedness, I would also like to build a hunt in some of the least remote places you get to, just to have that full breadth of experience. And I don't think, I don't think you're going to damage the resource. Which leads me to another thing that someone wrote in about where a guy wrote in looking for some moral help. He has a twenty acre plot twenty acre track a land in western Virginia. Used to be a big cattle operation, but it got all as things do, got all busted up in the little pieces, one of which he purchases load of a deer in turkeys. Here's the thing he's in a situation where in terms of the state regulations, he's totally fine to hunt, but there's this dumb property owners association prohibition on hunting, and he's looking for some moral guidance and what you should do. I just I I never knew. I didn't really understand what those things were. I bought a house that's in one of those things, and I would never make that mistake again. I would not pay any attention to that.
Speaker 7: No, I'm either and I live in one as well, like like we live outside of the city, but it is. It is in a community, and there is an HOA system in place, and they will send you letters if your grass is not cut at a certain height, or if you've got limbs in the backyard, which I just kept on moving them, yeah, and just made them move them in a different spot. But yeah, I'm the same way man, I think, and I always say this too, like until that association is paying the taxes on my property, I'll do what I want to do on my property.
Speaker 2: I have all phenomenal neighbors, same, yeah, but I know I don't I would rather all my neighbors were horders not. I mean, I don't want to trade my neighbors in I would like to have my wonderful neighbors that I have, but that but that they were hoarders and junk collectors, Okay, meaning when you need something like I have in my place in Alaska, I had a horder junk collector neighbor. Anytime you needed anything, just.
Speaker 4: Walk over there.
Speaker 2: You go over there and need to have it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you don't have to keep up with it, so you need like and didn't even know.
Speaker 2: He has some metal yay long? Right whatever you know he's going to have that huncle metal yay long. It's just there's the They have all kinds of rabbits, like junk piles. Yeah, it just be. And then my place looks awesome.
Speaker 4: Sure not happening in an Hoa.
Speaker 2: Looks way better than everybody else's.
Speaker 5: We've never gotten any like criticism from the Hoa, except not like grass anything we've done to the house. Just our camper trailer. Yeah, staying outside for too long?
Speaker 4: How'd that make you feel? And when you when you opened that letter and read that.
Speaker 2: Didn't come in a letter for him?
Speaker 5: Right? Was it right after your hunt with Luke?
Speaker 2: No, it was during the big flood that we.
Speaker 5: Had just gotten a notice about our camper trailer and our HOA was upset about it. And I pulled in from work one day and there was probably twenty cars, our trailer and a tour bus generators run or like today, and I was like, well, they were upset before.
Speaker 2: Ye a Minnesota trapper. This was reported in I believe this is a report in Minnesota public radio. A Minnesota trapper had a Bobcat set out. This, Oh, this is not this is This story makes trappers look pretty good. A Minnesota trapper has a Bobcat set out, and he's in the area where you can't trap pine Martins, and he catches a Pine Martin in his Bobcat set and he thinks it's deceased. Calls a warden because that's what he needs. He needs a self report. This guy's an exemplary figure because a lot of guys would have been like that didn't happen, right, and just go about your business. But he calls a warden to say, I had an incidental catch. I think I killed this Pine Martin. The warden says on the call, the trapper then says, op, it's eyes just moved and hangs up on the warden. He then manages to give CPR. The warden backed him up on this, gives him CPR, resuscitates the martin, uh warm, puts it in his vehicle. What moves the martin into his vehicle to warm it up? No, he put his He put his mouth over its nostrils and put air into it.
Speaker 4: I'm with it.
Speaker 2: Rushes to the scene Belle Tramy County. The guy gets it all warmed up in his all trained vehicle. They don't say what kind. The warden rushes to the scene. They get it revived to the point that it becomes very angry.
Speaker 7: Confining, confined within the ATV, and they released it.
Speaker 5: It's impressive that he he pulled out the CPR, and you how to do it.
Speaker 2: Not only that, the warden reviewed video taken by the trapper's wife that confirmed the sequence of events. The warden was so moved he included it in his weekly report of Notable activity activities. The trapper, I wish Kren was here, supposedly does not want to be interviewed.
Speaker 5: If anybody could could make that happen, it would be crinal.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I always think I'm readneck and then I hear stories like that, and I'm like, you know, what.
Speaker 4: What a story.
Speaker 6: Why don't your parents have coons or something?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, my dad and stepmom raised raccoons in our house.
Speaker 7: There's literally pictures of her dad holding a raccoon feeding him a twinkie.
Speaker 8: Yeah, like on the cow and they would like have to burp the raccoons and then like a baby.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's a whole thing.
Speaker 2: Just kept them when I was little. My kids are dying for one to spring the raccoon.
Speaker 8: They fell out of a tree and they were Huey, Dewey and Louie I think, and they would come they would open the door not and come in and eat cheetohs.
Speaker 4: That's pretty red neck.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, I guess I am the mouth to.
Speaker 4: What a story of the Pine Martin?
Speaker 2: Let me ask you about that. I was going to move on to another news story. Go on.
Speaker 6: Sorry, Is that is that like, because obviously we don't have pine Martins down here? Is that like a kind of a revered animal there is this just like like would it be.
Speaker 2: Like No, it's more it's more heroic than reviving a possum. So we trap Martins where we're at and it's an American Martin people call them Pine Martin. Have you ever heard of sable like a sable coat or a sable brush. So Martins are sold as sable and it's a very high end, luxuriant fur. And they used to make a brush with the with the hair of a Martin. And now, like I was saying, if you were an oligarch's wife pre Ukraine invasion, if you were an oligarch's wife, what you wanted was a sable coat lined with bobcat which really brings this guy's worlds together.
Speaker 6: It was like a season for Pine Martin and it wasn't in season.
Speaker 2: The season for Pine Martin runs, well, I don't know in his area. He might be in a unit. So there are Minnesota units you can trap Martin. He might have been out of unit. But our season runs from uh December one to February fifteenth for Martin trapping. And they're regulated as a fur bear. They're a mustal lid, they're a weasel, remember the weasel family. They're regulated as a fur bear. And you'll have all kinds of quotas in place and stuff like that. But right now the unit I'm in is open quota. December one to February fifteenth. So is that why there were there were worth like forty fifty bucks? So is that why he had to report it because it was out of season?
Speaker 5: Was that what you were going for when we had the snowmobile?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Martin trapping when we had our snowbill crash.
Speaker 5: Okay, so I have the best photo ever. I'm going to find it for you.
Speaker 2: We had a miss I took her trapping.
Speaker 4: We had a misma.
Speaker 5: It was not a miscommunication.
Speaker 2: Here's the I said.
Speaker 5: It was like, I have I have a great date day, date day, date.
Speaker 2: Day got her with the d so I had her drive. She's like, I don't want to be driving on some steep ass.
Speaker 5: Trail and I was like, the one thing I'm worried about is driving off the side of a mountain and flipping over ballot.
Speaker 2: So I say you should drive the snow mill and learn how to drive on the flats. Tough to drive. Drove it and then wasn't crazy about driving it. And then I jump off to check some sets.
Speaker 5: Just they just happened to be where.
Speaker 2: I leave it. I leave it.
Speaker 5: I can I'm supposed to do a date day, but I have to go to check my.
Speaker 2: Some sets, and I go down the mountain. She my snowmobil has footwarmers. You jam your feet up into these feet warmers. She moves up to try to warm her feet on it. So when I come back up the mountain, she's perched up there in the driver state. Yeah, in the driver's Yeah, I thought she was up there because she's itching to drive again. But she was up there trying to warm her feet. But size just whatever. I jump on the back and she's like, well, I guess I'm driving again. And I had already broken trail through this area. So then we are on the steep stuff she doesn't want to drive on, and her skis get a little out of the ruts. This is the day Ken Block died on a snowbill always be find the day, same day. So she gets the ruts out of the skis out of the track. I reach forward to grab the bar and pull it back on, but inadvertently punch the accelerator.
Speaker 6: That's what's.
Speaker 2: A whiskey throttle. It off Off the mountain we go, and I think, man, this is gonna hurt when this thing starts rolling over us bunch of times, so I kind of bear hugger and get like tucked in expecting the machine was but the powder was so deep it just burrowed in and I was like, man, this is bad. But we had there's two trees in the vicinity. I had one tree to get it back. I got a rope polar on one tree and got it upright, got a rope pullar on another tree and got it back on the road. And we were lucky in underway Jordan, Uh, that's the pinet.
Speaker 6: I don't know if I can put my mouth on that.
Speaker 4: That's a pine Martin.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm not.
Speaker 3: Putting my mouth And God didn't mouth the mouth on that.
Speaker 7: That thing would eat your tongue out.
Speaker 2: So recorded in the Okay, here's here's here's the here's here's here's a distressing story kind of. So a group by now in Canada how to work like in Canada big Game the British Columbia big game guides will have I've hunted a BC on one of these. A big game outfitter in Canada will have like what they call on Crown Land, they'll own the concession. Okay, so big game outfitter the public can hunt a certain area, but only one an outfitter can guide an area and that's what you own. There's an animal rights group in the Great Bare Rainforest of BC which is buying up the concessions, doing everything normal, and it's a bid process. So there it's like willing seller willing buyer. They're doing the bid process, doing all the necessary paperwork.
Speaker 6: But that would essentially be like here where they do duck draws. They draw for blind right, what they're called pits and stuff, and so what they do here is is essentially it would be them entering these duck sure things, getting the rights to it, and then just not hunting it essentially.
Speaker 7: But with a duck thing you have people out. There's a possibility that you can't. This is money.
Speaker 6: This is no this this money too. People buy pits from people who draw them all the time. Oh oh okay, maybe illegally, but they definitely do it.
Speaker 4: Okay, I see what you're saying.
Speaker 2: This is similar to a move that's been happening in other areas where uh So, a couple of years ago when the US Fish and Wildlife Service moved to delist grizzly bears and the grizzly bears in the Greater Yellstone ecosystem. We're going to go under state management some of the states. Montana sat it out, Wyoming said that we're going to issue twenty tags for hunting. Idaho was going to do a sort of they were gonna do one sort of a symbolic one tag, and there was a big movement for if this went through, it was gonna be that the whole they were trying to get people just to swamp the application system and hopes that that anti hunters would draw the tags and just sit on them. Right. So this is like a play that you'll see that is happening more and more and more and more. Let me ask you about this.
Speaker 6: Do you feel how how do you feel like if there's a versus the revenue of hunters versus the revenue of non hunting, where does that How does that sit?
Speaker 2: You know? I think where you see it play out in a really effective ways you where you have a legitimate juxtaposition would be as explained to me, it would be if you look in areas in Africa where you have countries that have moved away from right, you have countries that move to a park system, in countries that run a hunting concession system what it winds up doing. With countries that run like that have like a park system, you have the same way you'd have it in for instance, in Montana with Yellowstone National Park or Glacial National Park. Then the rest of the area. You have a high volume of spending in a very concentrated area and in a bunch of neglected area. So in as it's been explained to me would be in the case of in Africa, you have these vast, vast, vast areas that are hunting concession and it brings in small amounts of people that spend extraordinary amounts of money and allows for habitat preservation to occur on in remote areas on big landscapes. And then you have park systems where large amounts of people spend small amounts of money and they're very concentrated. Its effectiveness almost lies on its effectiveness almost relies on the concentration, right, Meaning a dude that goes to Wyoming to hunt elk and you know the dude goes in Whoming elk is going to go spend over ten grand. Yeah, all in you go visit the park, you know, spending that you know, spending that amount of money. Yeah, right, but that that two million acres of Yelsow National Park, for instance, that two million acres generates an enormous amount of money per acre, but it wouldn't be applicable across these sort of like less showcase scenarios.
Speaker 6: Do you think that's moving our our country to a got to own to be able to hunt place.
Speaker 2: Man everywhere outside of the big pub land areas. Yeah, I mean I'm witnessing that in my I mean, you know, I'm turning fifty pretty soon here, so it's like when I say, in my own lifetime, keep in mind that's like a half century. Yeah, but I've witnessed that dramatically in my own lifetime. Pay to play, right, the days of we used to I used to maintain when I was growing up in Michigan for trapping, I maintained twenty five permissions. I had twenty five permissions to hunt trap.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's definitely happening here in the South. I mean, you have to and I don't know, I don't know if it's a I don't know if it's people just don't want people on their land at this point. But like to me, it was the most it was the it was the most important thing I could spend money on was land in order to lock up a place for my kids reads kids are you know what I mean? Like I don't care about trucks or any of that other stuff.
Speaker 2: It was like you you were just talking about buying trucks this morning, when you're supposed.
Speaker 6: To talk about readout.
Speaker 4: No, we were talking about you bound a truck.
Speaker 2: Well just this morning. Well he's rich now he already got care about trucks.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry. I shouldn't say I don't care about trucks. I care about land more than I care about trucks, and I care about acquiring land more than I care about trucks. And that that's what I think. It's part of the problem as well, is because once I get it, anybody hunting that, they're not my family's gonna hunt that. So the more that that happens, the more locking up that that happens, the less opportunity there is for people that that's not important to.
Speaker 7: Them, especially now that that land is is through the roof and price.
Speaker 2: Man, that's what that's what I mean. So you've decided no one's hunting your place.
Speaker 6: No's not my place. You can come sit with me. He dogg, but you're not shooting anything. You need a dough or something. But look, here's the other thing. Okay, let's take the six point for example, the one I sent you the picture of. I've been watching that deer grow for four years. Okay, So I come in, I work and don't buy trucks for years in order to be able to purchase this ground. Right, it comes for sale bound, we hop on it. I go start hunting it. Dream spot backs up to my little farms, and now we've got this acreage. I see this six tall six point right, he's running around out there. I'm like, man, that thing's pretty be awesome. If he could make it, he makes it, makes it another year, makes it another year, and eventually turns into this desired six and a half year old white tail. Right. So, the thought of me bringing anybody outside of Jesus Christ to shoot this deer, it's outlandish.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 6: I've been passing this thing. He's been dodging Z seventy one's for the past six years on those roads. You know what I'm saying. Not to mention other whack chop mechanics sitting out behind their house trying to grease and everything.
Speaker 4: So like to me, that deer is.
Speaker 7: More periodicity an implant driving a flashlight and two seventy.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying, and I'm with the mindset of it. I'm just saying, it's a tough spot, right, It's a tough spot because people want their on ground and they want to do what they want to do on their own ground.
Speaker 2: Well, let me hit you with this. Okay, this is true, but like, Okay, my friend Doug Darren, he manages his family's farm, right, that dude, he takes the number one number he's interested in. He's interested in two numbers.
Speaker 8: One.
Speaker 2: He likes to brag about how many people hunted his place.
Speaker 6: How old is this guy? We older me, so he's had some time on there.
Speaker 2: Maybe you know what he's I'm older than he was. He recently pointed out to me. I'm now older than he was when he and I became friends. That doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot to you. But either way, Oh, I don't know what the hell. He is a decade older than I am. Yeah, maybe a little more than that. Anyway, he'll brag to me forty four people hunting my farm. This year in a very control or andize fashion. And if you go talk to Doug too, the number of dead deer is usually at or higher than the number of people that hunted his place.
Speaker 4: How big is this place?
Speaker 2: Several hundred several hundred acres. He takes pride in getting people on his place. I got another I got well, I got another bud. Does he set limits on my buddy, my buddy, Matt Cook. There's years that dude don't hunt his place. He's so busy having everybody else on his place, wounded veterans, kids, non.
Speaker 7: He's the last time I went a veterans hunted your spot.
Speaker 5: If we had gotten the land behind us? Oh, come on, okay him, would you invite a bunch of people to come over and my.
Speaker 2: Kids buddies that I got another guy, I got another guy know uh, another guy know Mark That dude he's got more kids run around hunting play his place. So you don't need to be mean. But it also could be that you could mature into this in old age.
Speaker 6: Maybe that's what Doug Duram did.
Speaker 2: Well, he did just he used to be. He's and he'll tell you, well, I'm not saying no one can ever hunt my place? Well, Jesus you said he could.
Speaker 6: Now at this moment, and I mean, yeah, we've shot some turkeys off there. I'm just saying, it's the it's the dilemma, right, the dilemma.
Speaker 2: I hear you, loud and clear.
Speaker 6: Locking up ground for you and yours to do what they want to do.
Speaker 2: On Can I hit you with a scenario, then we're gonna move on by let's go. And I was guilty, You already look like an asshole. Well no, I'll hit you with scenarios. So I own a weird little spot. Okay, I own a weird little spot where.
Speaker 6: Now let me just say this. If you've got a record deal, you're welcome to hunt my spot. I'll swap cuts for.
Speaker 4: A for a for a dough up tempo positive positive little.
Speaker 6: Slide in there. Hey man, shoot that forecorn he he don't make it down to me.
Speaker 2: I have a little spot that opens up some great opportunity. Like in and of itself, the spot's nothing, but it just gives you. It gives you like pretty good access to an area. And buddy of mine owns a little spot next to the little spot that's.
Speaker 6: Somebody of mom own the spot next, no spot, No okay.
Speaker 2: So he gets a letter from some kids saying, couldn't help, but notice you got a nice little spot. Could we use your little spot to get to.
Speaker 6: The other spot?
Speaker 2: Other spot? And I said, man, I'd act like I never saw that letter. And I mud up being real glad I didn't get the letter because that would have put me in a morally compromised position.
Speaker 6: So did the little Montana heart of yours have done?
Speaker 2: I would have been in a buying. I would have been in the buying. But thankfully I was like, just I just was. I thanked the universe that that didn't come to me, because I wouldn't want to have to deal with the situation like that.
Speaker 5: What did he do? Did he say? No, you and your kid?
Speaker 2: I advised him to act like he never saw that one?
Speaker 6: Is that what he did? Is that what he did?
Speaker 2: Or he was a little distraught about that? He was a little he was a little dismayed about the address that they found. M M, what, Yeah, they've done a lot of work. How he felt a little spied on?
Speaker 5: Well, we had someone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's just leave you at that.
Speaker 3: Maybe something for that.
Speaker 8: My stepdad has land and had someone approach him about getting to hunt it, and so my stepdad actually made a list of jobs he didn't want to do on the property to help clean it up, and told the kid, if you trim the fences, paint the fences, do all this stuff, you can have rights to hunts, to.
Speaker 4: Which the kid has not done.
Speaker 6: Yes, you know, and then we locked everybody out of it.
Speaker 2: I'd invite your dad to visit with the guy I was talking about, Doug Duran, who lets everybody hunt his place because not only that, he has started an organization called Sharing the Land, which is just for that purpose. Doug's philosophy is is this, like, first off, his philosophy on land ownership is a it's a it's not ours, it's our turn. Interesting, it's not ours, it's our turn.
Speaker 6: Jesus is really making me.
Speaker 2: Look, let me tell you he's gonna get worse. So Doug's like, every time, you know, everybody knows what the hunter gets out of the land, right, everybody knows that the landowner gets out of the land. But Doug's like, what does the land get out of it? Out of this exchange? So Doug has started this thing called Sherry the Land, which is he brings in farmers who have chore lists right, and he brings in groups of hunters who say it like I'm ready to work for access. But the work that they're doing goes toward habitat improvement. So if a farmers like he wants shelter belts and windrows, he wants to pull up old fencing, he wants to do any number of things, they try to gear it toward land improvement while improvement actually and then he puts the he pairs the hunters with the landowners. There's no and it winds up meaning there's no exchange of cash, so you don't wind up in a weird regulatory space. But it's like, oh, I've always wanted to, you know, improve my riparian area, or try to re establish willows along the creek or the cattle graze it down, or try to do trout work on my stream, but shit, I'm not gonna have time to do that. Well, you get these holsers that want to hunt, and they'll come out and pour the coals to it and then they get to do their hunt.
Speaker 8: I'm with that, and I think it's good, especially if the landowner doesn't hunt like they're not going to be like if you didn't hunt, yeah, you would let people probably hunt your land.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Man, so you.
Speaker 5: Got like, I think in Dan's defense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is a team.
Speaker 5: The last you brought up the fact that it's a dilemma, Like to act like it's not a dilemma is not truthful, Like you're being honest about it, and you admitted that you also would were conflicted when you know tangentially.
Speaker 6: We're on the same team. He's just not as vocal about he's just not owning it.
Speaker 2: No, No, I'm just putting it in a tough spot.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 2: But we're on the same team.
Speaker 8: I'm not gonna lie. If I owned land, I wouldn't let people hunt it. I'm just going to say.
Speaker 2: It your husband, I mean, yeah, my brother in.
Speaker 4: Law without me.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 8: But I mean like if I I mean, I grew up on a chicken farm in Kentucky and I don't I wouldn't let people hunt that. I wouldn't let other people hunt it. I would let my family enjoy it. I would be selfish about it.
Speaker 6: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I'm exploiting myself this tough spot.
Speaker 6: And I'm not saying I'm not taking a wounded veteran back off.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying how wounded which war?
Speaker 6: No, Look, I mean here's a prime I have a prime example. They probably never listen to this anyway. There's a there's a guy that has asked like, hey man, do you mind? And I was like, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Do mine.
Speaker 6: Nicely. I worked extremely hard to have a place for my family to do this, and we're going to be doing it on that day. So next year rolls around, hey man, son's in for Christmas? You mind if we I was like, ah, wish we could make that work, but my brother and I are actually going to be back there on them. Next year rolls around, hey man, my nine year old granddaughter who has never killed a turkey, she's a combat veteran, was a combat veteran, and has a purple heart. Is there any chance? And I was like, dude, I'm gonna have my nephews. All true, all true. Me and Reed were hunting at one year, Me and my dad were hunting the year before, and I was taking my nephews the next year. All true things. I'm not just lying about it, but I'm trying to establish the fact that a bro finally somewhere, buddy, they're out there. Because I feel like that's what we had to do. That's what we had to do to get ground. We had to We hunted core ground and public land, and I mean I shot a turkey on the other side of the lake over there then, and I mean we we worked to have access to places to hunt understood, and there is ground fifteen minutes down the road that we have killed deer on. Now were they six year olds? No, but but we got to hunt there. I feel like you should be able. Yoh, this sucks to say. I just keep feeling like a jerk every night time.
Speaker 2: No, you don't need to feel like a jerk. It's a real it's the thing. Let me bring it positive that we can move on from the conversation.
Speaker 6: Sorry, yeah, we've been on.
Speaker 2: No. No, I just think that hats off to the people that have that ability to let people go on. I've told you joking. I'm totally joking.
Speaker 5: If if we ever find ourselves in places where we can plan to hunt, I would be very interested to see if you just open it up to all hunters everywhere.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I'll be like hunt what when? Okay, do you do that? With your spots that you hunt.
Speaker 6: Now, are you like, after you've filmed me a little show, do you go, hey, man, by the way, here's the pinpoint. Go kill everything out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but not to anybody.
Speaker 6: Give me a coordinate.
Speaker 2: Well, I, well, here's the deal. There's sort of a you know, I have a collection of individuals. I have a circle of individuals that there's that we there's like an unwritten deal where I throw them little tidbits and they throw me little tidbits, a.
Speaker 5: Little tip for test.
Speaker 2: It's test, it's highly reci it's highly reciprocal. And sometimes you know in The Godfather, when the guy comes and says the Marlon and he's like he wants something done about someone that violated his daughter and the criminal system let her go, Brando says to him, Someday, I don't know when, but someday I'm gonna have a favor for you. Maybe never, but someday I might have a favor for you, and I'll take care of this.
Speaker 5: That's how you feel about.
Speaker 2: So the people that I share with, someday maybe I share with I have an expectation that sometime down the road, I might say, hey, I'm in a little bit of a bind trying to take a buddy mine to get some whatever ducks this weekend. You got any tips, and I would expect, and if they clam up on me, then I would expect, like down the road. I'm not throwing tidbits. I get that, Like you know what I'm saying, I'll do that with fish. But I mean, I don't know about dear fish.
Speaker 5: Anything you were explaining to me the other day, because I was a little bit surprised by it that if you take someone somewhere where and then they go without you, that that's really just.
Speaker 2: I just said, it's just it's good policy to acknowledge.
Speaker 6: Agreed, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: A good policy to It'd be like if I take someone to a spot, it's good policy for them to say, hey.
Speaker 6: What, uh is it cool?
Speaker 2: If yeah, like I want to go up there and hit that spot. I don't want to be up in each other's business. I know you showed me the spot, like what are you thinking? To which I might t which I would then be very upfront. I'd be like, you know what I was gonna I was gonna go up there with my boy. He already tagged out, I'm not going to hit it this year. If you're gonna hit this year, yeah, and then the one deal is just let me know what you see, right, And I'll say that to people. I'll be like, dude, go you should check this spot, check this spot, let me know what you run into.
Speaker 6: Now. Look, if we're talking public ground, that's all what I'm talking. It's a different deal. It's all because ultimately you can't hunt it all. Right, that's a different deal. And I'm with you. I would I would do exactly where you're saying. Hey, man, now I'm not telling everybody, and maybe if I bring you to the spot, you don't tell nobody else you if you're going up there with your kid, like, let me know what you see.
Speaker 2: I've had people say to me, I don't go to spots with people because I don't want to have to then later on be like worried about that stuff. I'd rather just find it all on my own and know that I found it on my own and never have to deal with any kind of weirdness.
Speaker 5: Worse, I don't know if that's worse than owning land and not letting people hunt it, because you're not really sharing the resource.
Speaker 2: I do share. I mean there's not there's not I don't have I don't have one public land. I do not have one public land secret that I don't that I don't share with my circle of friends that that that that that we network.
Speaker 6: How big is that circle?
Speaker 3: What's the initiation for that circle?
Speaker 6: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 2: It's big because it's spread all around, Yeah, across the country. Yeah, it's spread all around. I mean there's probably I could sit and list. I could probably list there's probably twenty people that depending on what's going on, that I would be like, oh, yeah, buddy.
Speaker 6: I mean we've checked spots because we don't hunt that anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And because it's public lands, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: I mean it's public ground that we've hunted, that we hunted for a long time while we were busting to have our own ground, you know. So we we pay for a lease in a spot, and then we've you know, we purchased some grounds. So so there's not the need to continually stomp out public because it's not a it's a big it's a big place, but it's not giant compared to the pressure. You know.
Speaker 2: It's all I just think it's all part of it's just all part of fun. Man. And then I'm like way more sympathetic to kids, right if someone's trying to get their kid into some action, We're more sympathetic to record deals.
Speaker 6: If you get a record deals, there's a good chance you can find some of our secrets out.
Speaker 2: Moving on, Uh we well we The last time you guys are on the show, we talked about country music and the place that like outdoor living holds within country music. How would you guys describe that? I mean, like, sort of the confluence is very strong. It's not it's not a subtle connection. And I would argue that it is like I listened to country music made from the I don't like anything like pre mid seventies. I listened to country music from the mid seventies to present. It has grown. The outdoor hunting, fishing references and stuff within country has absolutely grown in that time. Yeah, I agree to maybe a crescendo right now.
Speaker 6: I think it's always going to be a part. And you also gotta we also got to like draw a line between like commercial music and non commercial music.
Speaker 2: Okay, draw that line from it.
Speaker 6: It's just just a different bit of a genre. And I feel like those genres are kind of blending right now, don't you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I would agree, Yeah, I don't know if if it's if it's like more people like you know, it's kind of a snowball effect where you know, it started getting written about and started getting sung about and and now people are kind of jumping onto that ship and writing about it.
Speaker 4: Or if it's just more people are.
Speaker 7: Writing lifestyle music and writing what they know, and you have more of those lifestyles coming into town trying to do what you know, trying to write commercial songs, and so it's a good term. More of that content is getting put into the songs that are getting played on the radio because more people do it, you know, it's it's their lifestyle besides you know, not doing it.
Speaker 2: When you say lifestyle music, explain what you mean by that as opposed to.
Speaker 7: Faking it, as opposed to, yeah, writing about something you don't know, me writing about New York City. You know, I wouldn't know what If I was going to write a song about New York City, I would have to look up what's in Times Square because I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't I hadn't spent time there.
Speaker 7: I don't you know, I don't know what buildings are where, or what little restaurants or you know, little little niche places that are local to people that they would want to hear that tune. But I can write a song right now about the woods or or fishing or being on a boat or four wheeler or you know. And and that's what we've always taught. When we talked about that, and and the Josh Thompson episode, it's about to me, country music is, and writing songs is writing what you know, and and and writing about your life. And if you know, my life is all about my family, God and hunting and and and so most of the songs that I'm gonna pin out or ideas that I have, if if they meet that space, you know, I'm gonna I'm gonna put in there something about sitting in a you know, an oak flat in November and and watching the sun rise while I'm sitting there waiting on a buck to walk by, you know, because that's what I know, that's what I love, and that's that's that's the truth of to me.
Speaker 2: You me, and a move like you're gonna play something.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 6: I was just thinking a lot of our songs do that, but there are also songs like it's just like a total smooth sex tune. You know what I mean, Like let me hear it.
Speaker 2: I don't hear the sex part.
Speaker 4: Put you gotta put the two get ready we singing this?
Speaker 6: You are okay?
Speaker 4: I don't have to have with the lyrics.
Speaker 6: Ready here with the verse.
Speaker 4: We bent burning both in keeping the lights song. This is not a hunting song, by the way, what we do know a song?
Speaker 10: I bent thinking we need it a little time alone.
Speaker 4: Three week, number one's one five.
Speaker 10: We'll just say we cancel a plane tonight. I'm morning gonna be a man.
Speaker 4: Let's get some cana burning song.
Speaker 2: Record all the linestyle.
Speaker 11: Taking that saying, so the way your body's moving, keep doing what you're doing to me.
Speaker 4: Got not love song, girl, I wanta gotta heavy. Let the passion take us to a higher please making that kind of love.
Speaker 5: We mad.
Speaker 6: Not really about the outdoors, but we.
Speaker 4: Have outdoors songs, so I'm just saying I don't know where they came from.
Speaker 6: You gotta write what you know, is what he says. I'm trying to explain that as a commercial country writer, you have to be versatile in the areas that you know, So no, not all of them are Tailgate. Hey, man, come on out, check this lifestyle out. But we also have a lot of songs about that too.
Speaker 7: But it's kind of like we were talking about earlier. It's it's it's constructing an album. And and you know, if if I was making an album, I would want love songs on there.
Speaker 4: I would want dad songs on there. I would like hunting songs on there.
Speaker 7: You know, I wouldn't necessarily want a song about New York City or something like that, because that's not true.
Speaker 4: It's not my lifestyle.
Speaker 2: We recently had Evan Felker on Uh turnpot Yeah on the podcast right dude, well, he is love that stuff. I was asking him about. I had some a couple of questions about the role of the outdoors and and his music, and I said, do you ever think to yourself, man, I should put more I could put more hunting references in, or I should pull him out. He says he didn't really like the question, but eventually said that I guess if I thought one way or the other, I think that I could get away with putting more in. But he said, for me, I don't make it. It's not about that. It's just the background, Like I need people they're doing something, so I'm not talking about the act of doing it. I'm talking about something that's going on in people's lives and that's just what they're doing. That's what's happening. Yeah, So it's the backdrop of the subject.
Speaker 7: Which is which is the thing, because I mean, hearing you say that, you can absolutely write I mean better together. It was a great example of that is is you're writing a love song that's a that's a that's a slow tempo you to your you know, the one you love. But it's got eight eight points in autumn, you know, and and.
Speaker 2: It's and it's got a yeah board board.
Speaker 7: So so you're seeing that, and that's that's something to commercial songwriting in the country music. Realm two is like painting these pictures of the life that we all lead, but at the same time tying them into a subject that's love or or you know, something else, whatever it is.
Speaker 6: That's my favorite part of the trick to The favorite thing about the thing we just played and how it's relative is that when that song was going to radio, three of the wives of the four people that wrote it were pregnant.
Speaker 2: So it's like they had been doing.
Speaker 6: Some of that.
Speaker 4: And here's a little thing too.
Speaker 2: We were actually jump we were we were.
Speaker 7: In Mississippi on a turkey hunt, and it was it rained us out that morning when we wrote the song, when we wrote half the song we started.
Speaker 6: We literally went down there to turkey hunt.
Speaker 4: We were in Camoina.
Speaker 6: We will don't try to step a million dollars. I don't want to hear no turkey hunting down and from from from meat eater. I don't want to hear nothing about what we need to do turkey hunting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got.
Speaker 6: Walk up and go. Man, these help sounds sound pretty shitty over here. Don't you just don't want to even step on the court with turkey. I've seen a couple of those episodes.
Speaker 2: I stand corrected. I stand corrected. You don't need to go.
Speaker 4: Wet, dude.
Speaker 7: I got plenty I've killed plenty of I got pictures to show you this dripping wet turkeys.
Speaker 6: I would I would rather write a hit song say that, much like Reid says, he always says this, you write what you know, and if you can blend some of I feel like if I can get five percent of either my upbringing or what I'm into now or whatever into a song. I feel like, Okay, I can you know, not all of them are one hundred percenters. You know, this artist needs to say exactly what I'm feeling or what I've been through in my life. It doesn't it doesn't necessarily work that. Sometimes you're just making words rhyme. Now a lot of the time, yeah, a lot of the time. It's that the general idea is from a genuine place, right.
Speaker 2: But but if you had to be.
Speaker 6: A commercial writer and write two hundred songs a year and every one of them had to be about what you've been through?
Speaker 2: Is that a volume that's achievable to work to touch that songs? I mean, for us, you'll touch that many songs.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean there have been years, not now, but at the in the in the grind, in the early probably first five.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean you write at least three songs a week. There's fifty two weeks that.
Speaker 8: In a year. I mean that's one hundred and sixty ish. I mean I'm confronted that a yeah, yeah, I mean so.
Speaker 6: But I mean, like me, I have a nine year catalog at Sony where I've been the first five of those. I was writing five days a week, sometimes two times a day. And what my point is, the well will run dry on your experiences, which is why you need co wrotes, you need other influences, you need Hey, he needs a song in this realm. Otherwise you're just writing. It just absolutely melts your brain.
Speaker 2: There's a question I have that's more interesting to me than it is to any of the songwriters. I've asked this question too, would be you'll produce a Let's say you produce a song here like sit in Nashville.
Speaker 6: Produce is a weird that that'd be a weird term though you said to create something. Yeah, uh, just clearing it up.
Speaker 2: So here you are, like you guys grew up in the broader area. You grew up in the region, right, Yeah, you're working out in Nashville, Tennessee, and you're and you're working with a You're working with some outdoor know how that would be known here, but might not even be broadly known to other outdoorsmen outside of the country. Meeting I know outdoorsmen that if I said, like, I know guys in Alaska, for instance, older guys in Alaska. If I said I got a nice eight on camera, They're not gonna know what I meant, really, because they don't they're not in they don't do trail cameras. They don't traffic in the lingo a nice eight. Now, if you said I got a nice eight point buck on my trail camera, they'd piece that together, but they might not meet recognize that. So but and that's even some hu familiar. So the thing that I'm always curious about with songwriting is here in Nashville, you're exporting music around the world. People around the world are listening to the music you produce. But then you have these references. There are no way references that are no way going to be understood, right because for them to be legitimate, they're like insider references. Sure, I asked about this point. We're talking about like a Johnson outboard. Now, if you if you went to most people on the street and you asked them, hey, name some outboard companies who makes outboard, They're gonna be like, well, Honda makes outboards, Yamaha makes outboards, Evan Rude makes aullboards. No one around now is gonna say Johnson's right. But there's a there's a great reason to use that because it's it's it's it's it brings reminiscent nostalgic. Right, It's like a certain type of person is going to have and know that.
Speaker 6: I ask you this, when was when do you feel like Johnson was the one?
Speaker 2: Like? When?
Speaker 6: What listener?
Speaker 2: Like? What year?
Speaker 6: Section?
Speaker 2: I'm talking about specific demographic here. I was born in nineteen seventy four, and we spent the eighties trying to keep a Johnson ten running.
Speaker 6: See, I was born in nineteen eighty three, and when we had Johnson's So between seventy what did you say? How old are you?
Speaker 2: Like? One hundred and fifty? Right?
Speaker 6: So between that age and like my age, we know that that was the one in there. So when you think about demographics, I would say probably the people who are listening to that, That's why I clicked in them, is because most of them were. We're seeing that.
Speaker 4: And you kind of get two birds today it'd be a tatsu, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: But it doesn't sound good though exactly.
Speaker 7: Which is part of that's part of the thing too. But you're getting that, you're getting two things with one word. There is you're you're painting that picture of a motor on the back of the boat, which most people would get, and that's they would listen to that lyric and then going to the next one. Or you get the guy who was trying to keep a Johnson Owen for ten years and that immediately clicks and he's stuck there, you know, and that takes him back to man, probably some of the best days of his life.
Speaker 6: So kind of like boxing too. It's like you hit with a left and then there's a line right after that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and some guys, some guys might dodge that right hook that's coming, or some guys might get knocked out by hook.
Speaker 4: So you kind of thanks man.
Speaker 2: I asked Evan Felker about his use of a Belgium okay, a Belgium brown So that's like, you know, I brought that up. Then all kinds of people wrote in, I can't believe Renilda doesn't know about the Belgium made brownings. My old man thought he had a Belgium made browning, so and he got it. So when my maternal grandfather died, my dad took possession of his browning A five, which my dad mistakenly thought was a Belgium made Browning, which meant something to him and didn't mean anything to anyone around him. But then here it's a reference like he's holding it understanding you're gonna wind up. You have a reference that people aren't gonna know what you're talking about. Yeah, for sure, a lot of people like it. Not you have a reference that a lot of people it's con overhead.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but some of us there's also some some interest in having people just try to figure it out to right, like go dive in there and see see what. Like, Okay, let me ask you this. The fact that it's not Belgium made, does that take anything away from you owning the good Yoh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I had been raised to think that it was great. And then we looked up the serial number and.
Speaker 6: We're like, does it say made in Belgium.
Speaker 2: No, there's all these there's all these ways you could have known if you knew, But no, we just looked up. There's a serial number, look up and you tell where it was manufactured.
Speaker 6: After it went to mind says made in Belgium.
Speaker 2: Oh, well that means it didn't. I don't know why he thought it did. I don't know where it's at right now. Probably in my mind.
Speaker 6: Well, you don't even care anymore.
Speaker 2: No, I do care. I had I tried to shoot it for a while.
Speaker 4: You're saying you'd care more if it was a Belgium.
Speaker 6: That's what I'm saying. What it means more to you if it's Belgium made.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I wouldn't be able to tell you why they're better. But either way it didn't work good. Maybe it feels Beltgiman who worked good didn't cycle. It wouldn't cycle anything, wouldn't cycle anything.
Speaker 4: I think too though, going back to the reference.
Speaker 7: Thing is the front of our minds in a writing country music, and it might be different for La pop writers or New York writers writing pop songs. Like we write country music, commercial country music with the country listener at the front of our mind.
Speaker 2: God, so like.
Speaker 4: We're gonna use the lingo that the South is gonna.
Speaker 2: Pick up on?
Speaker 6: Can I just interjectateor like without even knowing, you just clicked my brain into songwriting mode and I didn't even hear the last thirty seconds of what we were talking about because you said I wouldn't be able to tell you why, and that's a great hook, Like I wouldn't be able to tell you why, and you can. Immediately my brain went, oh, man, why I love you? Why I don't love you? Why I fell out of love you with you while I fell in love with you. I'm not able to tell you why. Why did we break up? I don't know. I'm not able to tell you why. Like it just doesn't turn off as soon as something hits that, you're like, man, And then I started thinking, well, who would be somebody that could sing that? And you start running artists through your brain. Then you go, well, does this guy need that or is it already cleared up? Is he already cut? And he's not cutting from another two years? So knock that guy out? Who's the next guy on the list? And that all that happened within the last thirty seconds. Because you said he's hard to follow a conversation. Well, I started to bring my to take my phone down to my phone and I was like, nah, Katie sitting right beside me, show sure that that would be rude. Just sacrifice that idea if anybody writes.
Speaker 3: Well, nobody wrote that right that before this, here's one that's.
Speaker 2: Good for you. It's my favorite quote.
Speaker 6: Hey wait, I don't know if I want you to say it on here because then everybody could know because we'll just write it before this comes out.
Speaker 2: That's a great.
Speaker 6: Quote, all right.
Speaker 2: I was explaining to him.
Speaker 6: He God, do you think it's gonna be good?
Speaker 11: Or no?
Speaker 2: This is good. No, I see you're saying that, but we know whether it is what they all say. I wasn't good. I wouldn't be telling you. I wouldn't have it written. Favorite quote. Yeah, they also I got favorite quotes I got somebody wouldn't say in their go ahead. Yeah, he said. I was explaining something hint to him about manufacturing, and manufacturing is his business. He manufactures in a different sector in the sector of manufacturing I was talking about and I was telling him like, well, everybody knows you can't blank, to which he says, I don't know why that's not true, but that's not true.
Speaker 6: Pretty good. It's better than my dad's. My dad's was working for the weekend, So I'll take that.
Speaker 4: One, bro, Dad's dads are better. When he doesn't even know he's saying.
Speaker 6: Them, I know.
Speaker 2: My mom's like, my mom will come up.
Speaker 4: With a great idea to tell you, and you can write that. Dad's like, hey, man, listen.
Speaker 7: I woke up last night with an incredible thought working for the weekend, and I'm like, okay, well and then he starts telling me what he did yesterday and I'll get four US song ideas out of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what what songwriters do you guys like?
Speaker 6: I'm a big Tony Lane fan. Oh man, Yeah, there's a lot we don't like too.
Speaker 7: I mean we've had tell me yeah, I mean I didn't put a negative. Yeah, we had him, We had him on the podcast and he'll have his episode out. But you know, Casey bethard Is is the goat man.
Speaker 2: Now? Is it like? You like them? The ones you like? You like them lyrically, you like them because the melody that's interesting.
Speaker 6: I mean I say this all the time. We write with a lot of people. We know, we've met a lot of people, and songwriters to me are the most entertaining, coolest individuals on earth because there's always there's usually a sense of humbleness because the town kicked them in the teeth for ten to fifteen.
Speaker 2: Years old when they were trying to be a performer.
Speaker 6: For sure, they figured the thing out or just.
Speaker 4: A songwriter, yeah, yeah, they.
Speaker 6: Figured the thing out and then and then their stuff started hitting, and they stayed true to what they are, regardless of what that is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think with most of them.
Speaker 7: Man, now that we've moved to town and we've met a lot of the guys that a lot of the guys that were writing the songs that we'd love growing up up, you know, we've met some of those cats, and and it's it's everything. It's it's who they are as a person. It's it's their their story that you they tell you and you can see where these songs came from. And it's the lyrics and the stories and the songs, and it's the way they sing them in the melody and all of it. It's it's all those things that make you love somebody's work, you know.
Speaker 6: Now, I'd say, man, there they're they're major guys, like I mean, Whalen, you.
Speaker 4: Know, Christopherson, Yeah, uh, Johnny Cash.
Speaker 6: I mean, all these people wrote songs, but there are also people behind the curtains that are that are so important to the genre that a lot of people never see. And those people and a lot of those writers don't want you to see them. They want to stay. And I segue I also think That's what's great about what the podcast that we're doing is we're able to bring a light to those people without just completely exploiting them. You know. It's it's it's more of a like a respect issue and and saying that, hey, these guys earn their stripes as well. There are guys like Casey Bether, Josh Thompson, Bryce Long, the people that we've had on, the people that we plan to have on, who just live behind that curtain and.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and grew up just like everybody else, like same stories as we all got about in are.
Speaker 6: Absolute masterful wordsmith, What is.
Speaker 2: The general trajectory? You just use the term move to town, ten year town, baby, I guess that means that, like you moved to Nashville. What's the general trajectory.
Speaker 4: Ten year town, ten town, whatever?
Speaker 2: Cause, I mean it's and for me it was, but tell tell me from you guys.
Speaker 6: So I moved. I moved here in oh.
Speaker 2: Eight because of what I mean, I know why, But like, how did you go?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 6: Now was my now is? I had a band. I had a funk country band. We played but we played Stevie Wonder.
Speaker 4: We played Jamie Davis and soul gravy.
Speaker 7: Dan was the soul gravy got it?
Speaker 4: What what did I just do?
Speaker 6: Somebody likes to say I was the gravy and I don't know why they say that.
Speaker 2: Do you no me either? So we had this band and like you're the good thing that they put on top of something.
Speaker 8: I think it's geez.
Speaker 6: Jordan just why'd you look at my stomach when she said wait?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 6: Uh, anyway, we we we were getting these we I didn't know it, but we were actually getting the run, the Nashville like run, like possibly signing us as a band, and they were putting us with different riders.
Speaker 2: We didn't know it. Well, we were talking to me like I'm five years old.
Speaker 6: Well, we were essentially babies in the industry and didn't know that this could even be a career. Right, So when our band starts getting the frontman Jamie, who's one of my best buddies, and then me, we're coming up here and doing the co writes with with they were they were using their leverage to get us into rooms that we didn't necessarily even deserve on the possibility that we might be a signed band.
Speaker 2: But they is who the business, whether that.
Speaker 4: Be a manager, a manager, B and my uh and.
Speaker 2: You guys had your band was where based out of North Mississippi. So you started getting some tracks, start getting so you get some invites to work on stuff. There you go yep.
Speaker 6: And as that starts happening, we kind of realized, like we don't want to necessarily be that upfront band right Like it was fun, but I don't want to I never wanted to do that. I always wanted to be a songwriter, a back like harmony singer, a company guitarist. I never had. I never had ambitions for the Light. Reid grew up under us and his band and I mean having little bands and stuff. My favorite story about him is when when we started, I was I was traveling with his band, just kind of helping. And then when a big run of shows came in on the week on the starting date of both season me and Dad I told him I couldn't go. I said, me and Dad are going to deer Camp. He was like what. I was like, Yeah, we're going to deer Camp. He's like, Oh, if y'all think y'all are leaving me on the road while y'all go to deer camp, it's out hung up the phone, canceled all the gigs and never played in another one.
Speaker 7: And here's my Here's I'm I'm gonna be real vulnerable with this. But my it was never my dream to do this. It was never my dream to write songs. I had a dream to perform like because I always did.
Speaker 4: I grew up in church. My dad was a Baptist pastor still is and I sang. I was the front man.
Speaker 7: I sang every Sunday two and three times standing ovations, Let's sing it again, like I alway, that was my I grew up doing that, and so I felt like I had a My dream was to perform to big audiences and crowds and then moving here. And I didn't move here on the on the base to do that. I moved here because dam was like, hey man, you need to come do this like And I was in school at ut Knoxville, chased a girl up there, terrible decision, got some great song ideas out of it, but filled physics twice and was kind of sitting.
Speaker 4: I was actually at their show. I was literally Jamie. It was on Christmas break.
Speaker 7: It was on Christmas break Mississippi and my girlfriend at the time, sorry, I'm sorry Joean for talking about a girlfriend time. But my girlfriend at the time called me. She goes, hey, you failed physics again. She was like, what are you gonna do? And I was like, ex girlfriend, how did she know she took dude, because she signed me up from my classes. I didn't even know what credits were in college. Bro, Like she just did everything because that and that's how like, I just didn't know what I wanted to do. And she was like, you feel physics for a second time. You're not getting into med school?
Speaker 2: And I was.
Speaker 7: I was having a good time in Cupolo, Misissippi, sitting on a park bench outside this club where they were playing this song and I was kind of looking up.
Speaker 4: She goes, what are you gonna do? And me and Dan had been like, dude, you got to move to Nashville.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 7: We write from you know, three to eleven, We three or four days a week. We get to travel. And I and I was sitting there my part bitch and I told her. I was like, I think I think I'm moving to Nashville. She was like, what what are you going to do in Nashville. I was like, I don't know, I'm gonna sing and write songs. We broke up that night on the phone on that part bench atu below. I walked inside, this was going down.
Speaker 4: I went through.
Speaker 7: I'm like, I'm like slithering my way through this crowd of people, who are you know, singing every Jamie Davis song, these cover songs, and I.
Speaker 4: Get to the front and I went Dan and.
Speaker 6: I'm like, dang.
Speaker 2: People call me spans Cat. What I went?
Speaker 4: I went? I went, I'm moving to Nashville.
Speaker 6: People call me the gangster of I'm like, what do I fell.
Speaker 4: Minute again and I just broke up with my girlfriend.
Speaker 6: I'm like, oh sick, all right, let me finish this. I kind of got a thing going. I'll get back to you in a minute.
Speaker 2: And that was it.
Speaker 6: That was it.
Speaker 4: I moved that semester. At the end of that semester, I moved to town.
Speaker 7: We started writing some songs for my project, and we got a band going. We went out and played some shows, and I quickly found out that that's not what I wanted to do. I had fallen in love with with writing music in the room and hearing other people sing those songs, but being gone, I'm a homebody and there ain't no way that my dad and my brother are gonna be grilling real biz's at Deer Camp in the fall when I'm out here grinding my ass off on a tour bus, you know, twenty two hours a day, just enjoying the hour and a half if I'm on stage and I found out that that wasn't for me.
Speaker 2: And if you enjoy the twenty two hours but you hate the hour and a half you're on stage, you're.
Speaker 4: In a predicament too, because because well, they don't pay you to play it.
Speaker 6: I feel like.
Speaker 8: Josh Thompson's episode is a great answer to that question because he talks about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, Josh is a great example of that.
Speaker 7: The guy moved to town, got a record deal, did the thing, hated it, man hated it, but loved writing songs and loved being at home because you still get to scratch that creative itch that you have within those walls of a writing room, but don't have to be away from your family and you know, do the grind that is being a recording artist in Nashville.
Speaker 6: Speaking of which I've had a creative itch ever since we ate that deer that the k.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well money, talk to your.
Speaker 6: Town dude, all I'm saying is, as you come to the town as a writer, essentially, what what you go through is finding your people first off, trying to get in. However you can get in a lot of the times, that's writers rounds where there's this confluence of people who are trying to all get to the same place, and they end up co writing and writing maybe a song that gets picked up by a smaller artist or a larger artist, or maybe they get an album cut on something, and then all of a sudden, a publishing company comes snooping and goes, hey, we see that you're friends with who artists X, and it looks like you have four or five on his record and he just got a record deal, which immediately means there's going to be income on those songs. So we would like to take a chance on you, and even though you don't have enough money to quit your day job as a pizza pizza delivery guy, we like to give you a substantial amount of income substantial, okay, a minimal source of income in order to make your bill so that you can write full time. And when that happens, they usually end up giving a large portion of their publishing to that in order to get off the ground, which is what happened with both of us, which is kind of the play, right, And so once you get in there and you start writing songs, it's like, man, if I can just keep doing this and get a cut here, a cut there, then make them their money back, then all of a sudden, there's longevity in what I'm doing, and over the court that entire process, it's just been proven. I mean, now, look, there is absolutely people who move to town and have a hit within six months of being here. But the majority of people that come here, learn the craft, get their teeth kicked in, have a bye to success.
Speaker 4: Stay uncomfortable for a long amount of time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and end up crying in a parking lot in their car when they hear their song on the radio.
Speaker 2: Is a is a major's store.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of similarities between book publishing, Oh my god, yeah, and writers in New York that that we know and people that have like some people at their first book, it's like New York Times bestseller. We have friends that have done that, and then friends that have written for twenty years and you know, love it, stay with it and might find success later on. But it's it's yeah, there's a I think that's the thing that I love about this podcast that you guys have so lovingly put together, is that I don't know a lot about country music. Like I'm learning about country music really through this podcast. I don't. I'm not super passionate about hunting myself. I'm very happy that our family has involved in it the way that we are. But I feel like I can relate to the episodes that I've been able to listen to because of the personal journeys, because of the stories. There's a there's similarities to other, you know, individuals in their own path that I find a lot of resonance in. And you know, I was listening to one of the early episodes, one of the edits with our oldest Jimmy on the way to school, and I think I texted you guys about this. He was like, this is my favorite Meet Eater podcast. I was like, you better watch out.
Speaker 6: I'm not.
Speaker 5: But I get it. I mean, I love it.
Speaker 6: And wait, I'm curious as to why he said that, and I'm not.
Speaker 2: Trying to get.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just like, man, you laugh a lot listening to your podcast, you guys, I think obviously your brothers.
Speaker 8: They won't brag on themselves, but I will brag on them. But I think something that also makes it really great is these guys lived on a houseboat for four years before I mean these ten years at the ten Year Town. For four of those years they lived on a houseboat together. They caught their dinner off the back deck of the boat, They washed their clothes in the y m c a gym, in the gym locker room. Facts like all these things. And I think whenever people come, they're human, and they're very relatable to a lot of these people that are coming in here to tell their stories, and everybody that sat down on this couch with them, I think connects with them on a human level. And the conversations that have happened thus far have been very prett much. Everybody that's come in here has told a story that hasn't been told and on any other platform, because it's they're being interviewed by their buddies who share a very similar experience. They're not being interviewed on the Today Show, if that makes sense. And I think that that's really what has made it such a cool thing and will continue to make it a cool thing because you guys are just dudes, and you grind.
Speaker 3: You're still grinding. I mean, they're still so far to go.
Speaker 8: And I don't know, I just feel like people, everyone that's come in here so far, it's been very like human, even top Hall of Fame songwriters have come in here and Ben Haslip talking about owning the hat company and grinding out.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I just think it's been really cool and it's going to be cool for fans to see that as well.
Speaker 6: I was extremely nervous about knowing too much about the business, you know, to come in and talk about it day in and day out, Like how boring does that get? You know? But what's been beautiful is what you're saying, is having a platform to where people can just come in and just tell stories, like because that's essentially all songwriter is a really great storyteller, you know. Yeah, and finding a way to put that to music.
Speaker 7: And every journey, every journey to Nashville, moving to town, or you know, the journey from from a songwriter's young life to loving country music to get in here to actually doing it is. Yeah, there are similarities within it, but man, they're so unique and those stories that come out.
Speaker 4: Of that well of of stories are some of the best that I think you can hear, because, like Dan said, I mean, that's their job.
Speaker 7: Our job is to is to tell a story in such a way and to paint it in such a way that you want to listen to it over and over and over and over. And we're getting those from from the from the best of the best.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: So how deep is the well? I mean very deep?
Speaker 6: And the reason the well is deep is because you go through those times and and I can. I mean people ask me all the time, when did you start writing? And I was, like, man, third grade first, as soon as I could literally write, like I had to, that was my way of expressing myself. And I remember I remember dealing with like I mean, I was a big football player, you know. And I remember like I couldn't shore, I couldn't share with anybody my writing because that was too effeminate for who I was. I was a football player. I was a deer killer man I was we were we were catching fish. I couldn't be no poet, you know what I mean. I didn't have a place, didn't have a place, took buddies occasionally, but the whole point being is that, like I always wrote, I always expressed myself. And until I figured out that if you put those poems to music you could get chicks, I was like, oh, maybe I need to learn how to play guitar in order to do that. And then this whole.
Speaker 2: What were you're writing poems? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, And just like my mom even talks about, you know, if I liked a girl or something, I would journal like about the thing, Like you know, it's just kind of like it's it was embarrassing at the time though now it's something that I'm I'm proud I did, but at the time it was like, man, I can't let him know that I'm I'm one hundred and fifty five pounds. I can't be journaling, dude. I got dudes to knock over in pee wee football. Man. I was in fourth grade, away one forty five. You know, I couldn't be.
Speaker 2: A little sassy guy.
Speaker 6: Man. I had to go you know, making words rhyme dude. Yeah, Man, the time for that, that's weak. But it was always in us and music was always in read and that's why I didn't have any trouble with going, Hey, dude, you got to come check this out. Man, It's been in you since birth. You've been singing like a bird since you were seven.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 7: I didn't write much when I was little, but I sang constantly.
Speaker 2: In church everywhere, which is one which which church.
Speaker 6: Hasn't changed. I mean you said it earlier. It's like melody is more of your things that's to wear. There is more minded. It never really changed, it just kind of matured. So his strength is that I feel like my stream, I'm not. We do this all the time. Yeah, yeah, eventually after ten years you kind of learn things to take. You want it spicy, you want it sweet, you want it mild. I mean there's you know, and there's different chilis for different people. And sometimes you want it spicy, which is why you might go with a bomb, you know. Sometimes you want it smooth, which you might go sometimes you just want it sweet to feel good. So that has a different feeling, you know. It's like there's there's so many.
Speaker 2: Different figures at a chili bar right now.
Speaker 6: I'm just saying, different riders are different spices, and they bring different tastes, if you will, to the music. And the business knows that the business knows, and that's why you have multiple companies pairing different people with with with different people, because this guy might sound like this and this guy sounds like this, but together they taste this great and this guy needs that taste.
Speaker 7: Well, that's why you don't have the same song. The same song will be written a lot, but in a lot of different ways, you know. And and that's where you get that is just the melting pot of of life and lifestyles that you have working in these houses on Music Row every day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so hit me with, hit me with a like an episode of God's Country is going to cover what?
Speaker 4: Mhmm it's gonna I mean, do.
Speaker 6: We have an answer to this? I feel like Jordans or Katie should.
Speaker 3: Answer this Hot topics kind of kick it off with hot topics.
Speaker 6: We just kind of get on there and talk. I don't really know that there's actually.
Speaker 8: A formert no, I mean intro with whatever news depending on who's sitting in the seat, kind of going into their upbringing their story to Nashville.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's a pretty common theme performer.
Speaker 2: What do you guys call them? The artists artists with the writers are artists, So writers and artists, songwriters. Is a recording artist. There you some of them. Some of the artists are writers too. Don't put me in a spot.
Speaker 7: D We get into a lot of of of backstory of and kind of the way the podcast has gone so far is is it almost is like the front of the front half of it is is kind of getting the letting the artists express himself and how he grew up and where his passions come from, where where they spawned from, why why he loves fishing, why he loves hunting, And then that that move to town is is kind of been a been a common theme and and and and but like and that's what I said, Like there's common similarities with these stories coming out of your journey, but they're all so different, you know. And and then the back half of that podcast usually is about their time in town and and how their ten year process or their two year process, or the story about the best story they've got behind a single, their first single, or what it felt like sitting in a parking lot here in your song on the radio for the first time and crying your eyes out and then calling everybody in your phone, you know, to to congratulate you or whatever you know, it's it's it's really like it's a backdrop in a in a in a lining, the curtain open to see behind the doors of what goes on in Nashville on a day to day basis.
Speaker 6: And usually the trouble we've been having not trouble, but the thing we've been running into is people get on here and all they want to talk about is hunting, and we have to.
Speaker 2: Go, Okay, let's move it, so you move to town, you know? Anyway? About this book?
Speaker 6: Man, I've been chasing him for three years and he's hidden on you know, which makes it a little bit.
Speaker 2: My appetite to talk about writing is I'll talk about writing now and then same not not excited about that subject.
Speaker 6: Nope, been doing it a minute. And once you get to that point, and I understand people want to know about it, you know, but I even feel like we talked about it too long on this podcast already the ten year town.
Speaker 5: Wait, you guys, you got to talk about the one that got away that segment.
Speaker 6: Didn't you?
Speaker 2: Who was?
Speaker 6: Who was?
Speaker 7: You'll have a good that's become a that's become a thing.
Speaker 6: You'll probably explain it too much, but you have a good idea.
Speaker 4: That's become a thing we do. At the end of the podcast, we asked to questions.
Speaker 7: We asked the artists or songwriter whoever we're interviewing, what their favorite, what they think their favorite, and we kind of we kind of phrase it differently.
Speaker 2: I guess it.
Speaker 7: I just burped on microphone what your favorite country song is or what you think is the best written country song. And so we've gotten all across the you know, we've gotten and it's not even country songs, is it?
Speaker 4: Or is it country songs?
Speaker 3: We've kept country songs.
Speaker 7: We do that, and then we do yeah, a thing called the one that Got Away, and we tell them it could be a girl, it could be most of them are married or a guy. You know, if it's a female that we have on but most of them a married. Never to touch that subject, but it's usually a deer, a fish, or you know, something like that.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 7: And that's that's a That's a really cool part because we kind of go into it in an unexpected way where it kind of catches them off guard and they all, you know, tell an.
Speaker 6: Interesting and sometimes it catches them off guard because we don't tell them we're going.
Speaker 2: To do it. We're like, oh, by the way, Uh, you guys talked about ten year town. Where you at on the tenure cycle? What happens in ten years is up everything? You mean, it's all done.
Speaker 6: You just buy ground and don't let anybody hunt it.
Speaker 2: Oh, so that's that's on the ten years at I mean for some of us, where are you at on the ten year cycle? You gotta be through. But I'm still.
Speaker 7: On the I'm still on the bottom side of ten my Yeah it was. I mean I moved sneaking up on them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm getting there because I moved to town.
Speaker 6: Only a couple of years behind me. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I actually think I'm at nine because I moved to town two thousand. Like, got to town doing trying to you know, I was moving furniture in the day and then writing songs at night, trying to grind and and I guess that was twenty fifteen was and then I got my first publishing deal in two thousand and six.
Speaker 6: But I'm gonna say something that early season grind is what is what deepens that well you're talking about I mean, not to talk about how hard we had it or how bad we had it, because we we found a way to make it work. I died of deer meat and crappie ain't too bad, honestly. I mean it is when you eat with Delmonti corn six nights a week.
Speaker 7: But yeah, Tibet, you can also get twelve rolls at cracker barrel.
Speaker 6: I don't know if biscuits.
Speaker 7: We used to just just take four dollars, go to the cracker barrel. We lived from fourteen biscuits, bring them back, jelly them jokers, and eat it. We'd eat deer eating biscuit like every morning until we ran.
Speaker 2: We got some sick of those things.
Speaker 6: Man, and uh we I mean you have to have the hustle too, Like it's not just moving here and waiting ten years and then all of a sudden you can have a little Biscus says that you've got to be applying major hustle to this thing. My my hustle was I worked at a moving company, and then I did that for a long time. I had a meeting with a guy up here who was in the publishing business. I saw softball bats leaning in the corner of his office. So on my way out of that office, I said, hey, man, where does he play softball at the lady at the front told me, I looked into that place. I got a job umpiring at those softball fields. So I would work in the box truck during the day, I would change. I would go in the back of the back box truck, changing my umpire and outfit go work an umpire gig until about eleven and one night I was I had worked there and I ran into him. He was like, what are you doing out here? What are you talking about? Man, I'm hustling, dude, I'm trying to pay my bills. And he was like, but don't you work, but you told me you worked on a box truck. I was like, yeah, I work on a box truck in my umpire. He was like, man, if somebody's hustling that hard, I got time for him, come see me. Went so on really went and sawing cutting it. He said, I need five demos of these songs. I borrowed five hundred dollars for my sister and seven fifty for my granddad RP Days pudd You know what I'm saying, appreciation less appreciation, And I went and cut demos with my band. I took him to him, he held him nine months. And in those nine months, I had my phone on a charger. Every single day I would look. I was constantly the anxiety that was living in my gut. Knowing he had those fine songs and we're about to make a decision on him was like, I mean, like having coals. I mean, I was just my stomach. I was in nots for nine months. He finally calls back. It's like, hey man, we're ready to talk to you about a deal after nine months. And that is how every day that that happens, will that well, it's just going deeper and deeper and deeper. And now when somebody comes to town and they go, hey man, I'm just in a rough spot man, Like I want this music stuff to work, but I got stuff I want to do at home, and I'm missing Deer season because I'm out here grinding playing to thirty people that don't care about my music. I can go, I know exactly what you're talking about. How about this idea? Does this hit?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 6: Absolutely? Tell me some stuff about what you're doing, and then we find a way to construct something marketable out of what out of slash person slash personal. And that's what I think people get the misconception about us as commercial writers. They think we're just up here faking everything. It's not that. It's finding a way to make your story relatable to a common listener, as well as making it wrong.
Speaker 2: But you're selling your struggles to other people, man, which has got to hurt down.
Speaker 6: Then at the beginning, a little what's the check comes in doesn't hurt that.
Speaker 2: It's a little bit of pride when uh, just a final thought, when you're talking about the going to the cracker breath, get the biscuits. When when I enrolled at Lakespeare State University, in your little enrollment packet was this fifty percent off at Taco Bell. Oh baby. So we called. I was my brother Danny, and we called over there and uh, We're like, hey, is there a is that a limit? We all know? And I said, can you? And so we ordered fifty soft tacos and fifty bean britles. We said, just don't put any lettuce in there, and I said, you come by and pick them up tomorrow. So we went down there, put them in a freezer. We would be going hunting in the morning or whatever. We'd always take those out of the freezer and set them up in the turn the heater on. Oh yeah, man on the windshield and Layman, that little cracking too.
Speaker 6: Bad honestly them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not really too bad. Yeah, I'm so far from that now, But you're right, stuff madters Man.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we we. I think I think it's endless. I think there. I don't think it'll ever run dry, just based upon yeah, the work we put it to get to this place, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and not saying that we live, but the life we live man.
Speaker 7: You know, I think that will continues to grow deeper because we're having kids and and and we're we're teaching our kids how to hunt and thinking about the days and of getting to you know, bring them on our land that we don't take anybody on and letting them shoot deer and.
Speaker 2: They'll they'll maybe get a lease or something.
Speaker 8: If a big buck is on camera and Ben's old enough to hunt, we've already touched.
Speaker 6: He's gonna, I mean. And that's part of the reason I locked it up was for my kids.
Speaker 2: To be able to do that for sure. All right, ladies and gentlemen, Really not a bad guy.
Speaker 6: I'm not a bad guy.
Speaker 2: Great guys, great guys, for real, great guys, uh Dan and reed Is both join them and continue the exploration of of country music and the outdoors and songwriting and performing at God's Country Podcast, available now. And you guys know that that this year we're only using for our outro. We used to license outro music. We don't need more. We quit. It seems like, oh, it's interesting say that.
Speaker 7: It's almost like somebody put got a outro.
Speaker 6: It's almost like somebody amount of planned for this.
Speaker 2: You got an outro since we can't we're not licensing any music anymore.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's almost like, you know, you, what did you write? What did you say in the email that the song.
Speaker 2: A song called big huge Giant Bugs.
Speaker 6: We do that. I took it as like a all right. I took it as a challenge actually when you rout it, because I feel like that was a bit sarcastic. You know what was big huge show bucks. No, like, this.
Speaker 2: Is for you, Steve, you gotta do it.
Speaker 11: We get up in the morning at the crack dog, grab our gun, put our first slide on stownble to the stand waiting in the coat watching.
Speaker 4: That song rise, like, ain't no way we can love it anymore. We do it because we got it.
Speaker 11: We do it all for the huge chain bus town gates down on the back of the trucks riding through town, like we don't give away with a big, huge giant.
Speaker 2: In buck Well.
Speaker 11: Them folks Southwest love the chase, big el hitting New Maddam's a giving on hell, But what does for us?
Speaker 4: Saint Anne Low? Is it big corn sheep from Moose?
Speaker 1: Hell?
Speaker 11: No, it's big huge chine bus tailgate down on the back of our trucks riding through town, like we don't.
Speaker 4: Give away with a big, huge giant in buss.
Speaker 11: I said, it's big huge giant bush tailgates down on the back of our truck right through town, like we don't give away provice with our big huge giant in bun.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 6: On the way end, big deal brought on.
Speaker 2: I knew it had to have. It needed a song. I haven't said.
Speaker 6: It is so long.
Speaker 2: There it is bro big huge giant box.
Speaker 6: There you go there, take it, learn it big.
Speaker 2: Not just huge giant, big huge giant box. All right, Everybody God's Country Podcast, Thanks for listening.
Speaker 4: Appreciate You'll see