Speaker 1: Apple launches very expensive headphones Disney Plus, ready's a price increase. Google assistant routines are easier than ever. Plus your tech questions answered? What's going on? I'm Rich Demiro and this is Rich on Tech the podcast right talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer the questions that you send me. And boy, do you send a lot of them? Well, I should say boys and girls. It's not just boys, it's everyone. I mean I met boy as like, boy, do you send a lot of them? And yeah, yeah, yeah, I get them always. I mean Instagram, DMS, email, Facebook posts, text messages. I mean, you guys, you find me, you figure out how to get in touch with me, and I reply to a lot of them. But this is the place where I really take the time to kind of share what I'm talking to you about privately with everyone, whether you like it or not, if you email me or text me, that's just what happens. I'm the tech reporter at KTLA Channel five in Los Angeles. Yeah, it's been quite the year. We're almost done with it, if you can believe it. And I've been enjoying the holidays a lot last night, we went to this. It's so funny that a drive through Christmas light display is a thing, but that's the thing here in Los Angeles. And we went through this it's called like Wonderland last night. It was really cool and they put a lot of work into it. It was like, you know, a whole drive through. We went to one that was just lights. This one was sort of a whole wonderland, you know, with like snow and you know, different buildings and just all kinds of stuff and dancers moving around like it was. It was pretty well done. I got to say, seventy bucks for a car loads, so I mean, you know, it wasn't cheap, but I mean, we're My wife and I were discussing this and it's like, well, you know, if you go to a movie for a family of four, you're gonna easily spend seventy bucks. I mean, tickets alone here in La are probably you know, depending on the depending on the time in the theater. You know, I've gotten them as low as like nine dollars for like a cheap matinee to like as much as like eighteen dollars depending on where you go.
Speaker 2: So it can it can add up.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: So that was fun.
Speaker 1: And I've just been really enjoying the holidays with a lot of holiday movies and music and decorating the house because i've just been I figured out the word I was trying to get last week. I've been nesting. That's the word I was looking for. I not that you think back all the way to last week's show, but I do. Once I record the show. For the rest of the week, I just it plays over and over in my head and I'm like, what did I say wrong? What did I say weird? What did I say bad? What did I say good? Who did I offend? And the one word that I was looking for last week was nesting. That's what I've been doing. And so everything is nice and cozy in my place, lots of fireplaces at night.
Speaker 2: We finally got our fireplace.
Speaker 1: Hooked up, and it's just been nice, lots of you know, it's been really really fun. On Hulu, they have a section of like all holiday stuff, and they have all the old shows that I used to watch as a kid with their holiday shows like Wonder Years, step by Step, Family Matters, Full House, Brady Bunch, and it's just fun, you know, it's it's nostalgic. That's what I need this year to get through this because it's been such a weird year. I can't go home for the holidays. We canceled everything. We canceled Near's Eve, Christmas Eve, all of our vacations this year. And yeah, I know, poor Rich, I know, so tough, but.
Speaker 2: You know it is. It's been. It's been.
Speaker 1: We've been in our house for pretty much the whole year. I mean, it's it's really interesting. Never have I spent so much time at home, and it's fun. I like the the aspect of everyone being together. And my wife had to go to work today out of the house and it was, you know, we had to rush in the morning.
Speaker 2: Oh go go, go, get the kids ready.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh, you see, see the pandemic there are some positives because you know, you haven't had to rush out of the house like this in a long time. So I spent a couple of days cleaning up my Google drive. I think I talked about this in the last show, but it just felt so good. You know, I think I'm having deja vu. I think I already talked about this, but anyway, I've been cleaning up my Google Drive because you know, I'm on this mission to get it, you know, as low as possible, so I don't have to pay any extra come June next year or whenever they're doing it. I think it's June, and I've been I've been making some progress on that. All right, let's get to some of the news. I guess this was big news for the week. I mean, if it's Apple, it's always big news, right. Apple introduced a new pair of headphones called the AirPods Max. They love, they love using. For a while, it was plus. Now plus is anything like a subscription that you're paying extra for, like Disney Plus US or the upcoming Apple Fitness Plus. Anything with a plus at the end means they're going to be slowly but surely sapping the money out of your bank account over a long period of time. That's what the plus means in any name, ESPN plus. Oh, we'll take this six ninety nine a month. Where's the Spotify Plus? All these music services started before there was plus in the name. So the AirPods Max are headphones that go over the ear. And the big headline that you know everyone was talking about is that these are five hundred and forty nine dollars WHOA for a.
Speaker 2: Pair of headphones?
Speaker 1: Now, I remember it was like ten years ago when I bought my Bow's noise canceling headphones for a trip to Japan. It was like my first international trip with KTLA, and I was like, should I spend the three point fifty on this pair of headphones? Oh my gosh, it's so expensive. And by the way, I've had them ever since. They still work great, although a little bit of the pads are sort of wearing off, but you know, they're they're still still cranking. And three point fifty was very well spent because I've divided up by all the international trips I've and air trips I've taken with them, and yeah, you do by the hour, and it's like a penny per hour at this point. So anyway, now I'm not defending these AirPods Max. I know that that price is extremely high. But with s said, they've got the Apple Magic built in, they've got the noise cancelation, they've got you know, three D audio, they've got adaptive sound.
Speaker 2: They come in five cool.
Speaker 1: Colors, gray, silver, blue, green, pink, and you know it's breathable. I did not get a sample of these from Apple, so that goes to show the importance of my report to them. But I did see that a lot of the YouTubers got them, and you know, I didn't watch any of the videos just yet, so I'll maybe do that this weekend and see kind of what their response is. I'm sure it's all gonna be cheery, because you know, what are they gonna say. I mean, they're these these headphones are probably beautiful, they probably sound great, and they're probably nice and lightweight, just as advertised. But the reality is, is the average person ready to plunk down five hundred and forty nine dollars? Probably not? But will there be enough people that say, yeah, I was thinking of spending three fifty. I mean, what's another two hundred if I'm going to three fifty? And I don't think that's me per se, but there will be a lot of people, especially I'm thinking like the frequent flyer set, sort of the influencer set, the quasi celebrity set, and you know, the business folks set, and you know, the typical person, you know, the average Joe might get these. Yeah, probably not, I don't think so. So twenty hours of audio and you know, it does everything as you would imagine. It's basically a beautiful pair of AirPods in a different form function or different form factor. Five hundred forty nine dollars shipping on Tuesday, December fifteenth. You know, I'll be honest if I'm if I'm being completely honest with you, if I was, you know, using an iPhone, which you know I do, but I struggle because I always want to switch to my Android. But if I'm using an iPhone, you know, like permanently, which I have been for two years.
Speaker 2: But you know, I.
Speaker 1: Feel like I use an iPhone, but I'm not like one hundred percent committed, you know, but I still love it, and I'm just like and I'll get to you know, I don't want to get into all the reasons, but you know, so anyway, I would be tempted because I'd be like, you know what, if if I'm traveling again on an airplane, like these are probably amazing and with Siri built in and how lightweight they are, they probably feel great. I mean, AirPods are pretty magical, and so if you can get that same thing with a pair of over the year headphones, I mean, that's pretty awesome. All right, let's get to our first question, and this one is a little different because I've got a new podcast home. Just go to podcast dot rich on tech dot TV or rich on TV, rich on TV, rich on tech dot TV, slash podcast, and that will take you to the new home for my podcast.
Speaker 2: It looks really cool.
Speaker 1: I'm testing this service called pod page and it's really really slick and I love it. But the cool thing about it is that in the lower right hand corner there is a microphone and you can leave me a voicemail and it's super easy. It's super fun and we can do cool things like this.
Speaker 3: Hey, Rich, my name's Charlie van Kirk. Been a fan of the show for a long time, really enjoicing your segments. And I'm a tech you guy too. One thing that I just purchased is ub key five, the NFC version, and I use last Pass. I've used it for years. I also use last Past Authenticator app. I was just wondering if you'd be able to do a segment, you know, showing people the advantages of using hardware encryption and authentication and maybe just kind of simplify it for people. It's pretty complex stuff. You know, let people know that it's not difficult to step your level of security a notch.
Speaker 1: All right now, thank you, Thank you Charlie for being the very first person to use the microphone to leave a voicemail. Love It Again podcast dot richon tech dot tv or rich on tech dot tv Slash podcast will bring you to the new home for the podcast. Okay, to answer your question, Charlie, well, I love the fact that you are staying extra extra secure with this ubikey. I am aware of these. I have not used them, nor have I tested them in the past, but I'm looking at the website and it looks really cool. So what sort of if I'm understanding this, it's kind of like a physical key that unlocks your two factor authentication for your various accounts. So instead of having to like type in a number with like an authenticator app, you would just use this and it would authenticate automatically and seamlessly. Because the idea being is that you have this little key and it's on your body, and you're the one that that would be able to authenticate.
Speaker 2: So I imagine there's some sort of.
Speaker 1: You know, since it is two factor, I need to look into this more because I'm not exactly sure how this works, but it seems cool and I'm trying to figure out how it's better than my authenticator app. There's obviously an extra level of security here that I'm missing right now at first glance.
Speaker 2: But and here's the thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, I love the fact that you're trying to get me to you know, my segment is on TV, it's on mainstream media, and it's for an average audience that is not necessarily techies, and so the challenge there is honestly just getting people to use a password that is not the same password for ten different websites is really really tough. And I will say in recent years, I have seen a lot more people show interest in password managers, which I think is amazing. And you know, I use one, my wife uses one. I told my dad about it on or who'd I tell to just use it? You know, Like the iPhone and Android have them built in, and they're getting a little bit more aggressive now, like it's kind of on by default. I feel like when you download Chrome on Android or it's called like Google smart lock or something, it's like the first time you type in a pass word, it's like, do you want us to save that for you, and you're like what, Or I've noticed on iPhone it will just suggest them for you if you're in Safari. So we're making progress, folks. It's just a matter of like this this UBI key is like next next level, and so I'm not sure. In the past, I've kind of shied away from this with a mainstream audience because it it might like you also have to think on TV, how do you tease something? How do you say to people you know, you know why they should tune in and watch your story, And with this one it would be kind of tough. I mean, it's like, you know, a better way to secure your accounts, you know, and maybe it's easier, but again I need to research. So thank you for the for the voicemail and thanks for the story suggestion. I will definitely look into it. And it looks cool. I remember so many years ago my roommate was he had a job, and he sat down at his computer and he had like this little keychain thing that would like I think it was for like e trade or something, and it would like randomly generate a number every thirty seconds or whatever it was, and it was a two factor authenticator and at the time I didn't even know what it was, but he's like, yeah, I got to pop in this number to make sure it's me when I log in. I was like, oh, interesting, So I'm guessing this ubkey sort of functions in that way without a physical display.
Speaker 2: Very cool.
Speaker 1: Thanks again, Podcast dot Rich on tech dot TV. Leave a voicemail and you might hear your voice on the next podcast not just mine. Disney Plus is already raising prices and I can't really complain about this one, but I will tell you that I predicted this in this very podcast last year when I announced that Disney Plus was coming out for six ninety nine a month. So what is happening here? Disney had a big announcement. They said they have one hundred and thirty seven million paid subscribers, which is eleven and a half million ESPN Plus subscribers, thirty eight point eight million Hulu subscribers, and eighty six point eight million Disney Plus subscribers. That's just since launched in November twenty nineteen. So we are just one year into Disney Plus and they think they're gonna hit three hundred to three hundred and fifty million total subscribers by twenty twenty four, and they say Disney Plus is gonna release more than one hundred titles this year.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: But then they go on to say, oh, by the way, March twenty six, twenty twenty one, Disney Plus is going to be priced at seven ninety nine a month or seventy nine ninety nine a year. So that's a dollar extra a month. And for the yearly, I think it used to be sixty nine ninety nine, so seventy nine so eighty dollars a year divided by twelve is six dollars and sixty seven cents a month. That is the way to go. Save yourself a dollar thirty a month. I mean, here's the thing about these subscriptions. It's great that they're monthly, but I like the fact that you can save yearly. But who wants to pay these bills yearly?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: I don't like.
Speaker 1: I like the idea of just the Like I've had my Google my Google Drive account for so long at ten dollars a month, and they keep bugging me to pay ninety nine bucks for a year, which would save me. You know, if you do the math, I think it's twenty dollars a year saves me, but I just can't get myself to do it because I'm like, ah, I hate when these bills just like bill your account randomly, Like I got my bill for like Nest and it was like one hundred and fifty bucks for the year, just like randomly, like it just shows up on your card and you're like, oh, I forgot about that, or like sirious XM used to be a big one that used to do that, but now I have them bill me.
Speaker 2: You know, they send me.
Speaker 1: A paper bill, So I just don't like being surprised. So I think this six seventy or seven ninety nine a month is like easier to manage. But I'll say, you know what, it's tough to really scoff at this because Disney Plus has a lot of stuff. I mean, if you watch one thing a month on there, you're talking you're getting your values worth. I personally am watching a lot of Hulu recently, and I have I pretty much have all the streaming services because my feeling is I just you know, when you add them all up for me personally, it's kind of like what I was paying for cable, and I'm just like This is so much easier.
Speaker 2: It's so much better.
Speaker 1: The kids love it. I like having the choices. I don't you know what, I don't subscribe to all. I don't do Showtime, and there's a couple I don't do cable. So I don't have like a you know, I don't have like a YouTube TV kind of thing, but I do have YouTube. But anyway, there you go seven ninety nine a month. But here's the thing that that is the problem. So a dollar is fine, but now we also have Netflix that went up two dollars or is going up two dollars on my next bill, So that's three dollars a month now. And okay, the music services they have not budged from nine ninety nine for a long time, so I feel like maybe they're gonna sneak in a dollar price increase in twenty twenty one, so now they can be up to ten ninety nine a month. I mean, it gets so when you have five or six of these things, when they all start raising the bills, you know, it's just like cable TV back in the day, they always raised the bill like clockwork. Cable TV rates went up every year, and that's sort of what we're seeing with a lot of these streaming services. It's just a little more staggered because not all of them do the price increase every year, but enough of them do where it's becoming kind of in line with what.
Speaker 2: We used to do with cable. So just something to watch, something to be aware of.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to cancel Disney Plus anytime soon, and I'm sure out of their ninety million subscribers, I don't think a lot are going to get rid of it, but you never know. All right, let's get to the next question. Jennette says, Hello, Rich, my brother has an old, at least five years or more, Samsung phone. He very much wants a smart watch to link and use, but I don't even know how to find a compatible item.
Speaker 2: Can you help?
Speaker 1: Not sure what questions I should be asking? Love your segments from the most technologically challenged viewer, Jenny, Jenny, I don't think you're my most technologically challenged viewer because you were able to email.
Speaker 2: Me, so that's a pro. There you go.
Speaker 1: Let's see Samsung phone. So immediately what comes to mind is a Samsung smart watch. But I'm not a big fan of them, so I would say a fitbit, So I think a fitbit would probably be his best bet. It's a five year old Samsung, so I'm guessing he doesn't need the latest, greatest, best whatever. So I would say something like the Fitbit versa, and I think they're up to the three you probably you know, you could probably get away with the two, but I would go with probably a fitbit. I would also kind of, you know, see what he needs, see what he wants, Like, he may not need all the features of the smart watch. Maybe he just needs a regular fitbit or maybe even like the whys they're coming out with the new smart watch. Maybe wait till that one comes out in January, and that's only twenty dollars. But the fitbits, you know, the versus is kind of pricey. You're looking at probably over one hundred dollars for that, but you can get cheaper fitbits as well. It really depends what he wants to do with this thing. If he really wants, like all the features on a smart watch, yeah.
Speaker 2: I'd probably go fitbit.
Speaker 1: You can also look into some of the Google Nah, I'm not gonna recommend that those are too complicated, so I would I would say go with a Fitbit. I think that'll do what he needs. And if you can wait until February for the wise Watch to come out, I mean he's been waiting five years with his phone to upgrade, so I mean, I'm sure he can wait two months to get a new smart watch. But maybe you want to get it for Christmas, so you know, there you go. I would just say get the fitbit versa. I think he'll be very happy with it. The main thing about that, you know what, there's no downside. I think he'll be just fine speaking of smartphones. You know, look, I don't want to get into like the whole you know, this whole coronavirus stuff. It's so it's so wild to me that it has become polarizing to try to get through this virus, right And look, do I want to sit there and wear a mask every day? Of course, not like I want to be on with my regular life.
Speaker 2: But I do. And when I go out, I respect the.
Speaker 1: Rules that are around me. And do I want to not eat in restaurants right now? Of course not. But I live in California and those are the rules and I'm following them and I get it. There are a lot of people out there that you know, don't think it's right, and believe me, like, do I think my kids should have been in school?
Speaker 2: Probably? But I get it.
Speaker 1: We're all in this together and we're all trying to get through this. And so I was very surprised when I posted my videos about California and their COVID nineteen apps for the iPhone and Android that they finally got on board with Google and Apple's API, which is called Exposure Notifications. And I was, you know, I've been kind of like tweeting out for a long time, like California, what's going on? Why aren't you on board with this? You know, because it's been around for a while. Well, they finally did get on board this week with an app called ca Notify. And the way this works is if you have a you know, Android or iPhone, it basically sends out a little tiny Bluetooth number that changes like all the time, and when the two devices are near each other within six feet for fifteen minutes, they exchange those numbers. And what this does is if someone comes down with COVID nineteen, they pop a special code into their phone and their phone will then notify the other phones that belong to those random numbers. It's all anonymous, there's no location, and it was you know, this system was created by like really smart people at Apple and Google, and I mean, come on, these two giants are working together, like there's not any secrets here. You know, they had everything published. It was all up and up and like you know, long story short, I published these videos and everyone was just like Rich, oh my gosh, no way, Like I'm not big brother government, well whatever, and like yeah, I mean is does government always do like what's best? I don't, you know, don't want to get into that either. But the reality is, I think this program's pretty good. I think if a lot of people use it, it would help notify you earlier that you came into contact with someone coronavirus. But the reality is a lot of people don't want to use it. Clearly is evidence by the comments on my social media. And maybe that's just the commenters on social media.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe you're listening and you're like Rich, yeah, you're crazy, Like why would you ever want that on your phone? Like more tracking? But the way I see it is it has potential to help slow the spread, which means I can get back to my normal life, and you know, I think we all want that. But anyway, so I have it turned on on my phones, and I you know, I'm gonna leave it on.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's gonna.
Speaker 1: Work though, because of the reaction I saw. I don't know if there's enough people that are on board with this to make this truly worthwhile.
Speaker 2: And I think that's gonna be the downfall.
Speaker 1: Of it is that it just doesn't have enough support from people turning this on. Maybe I'm wrong, Maybe maybe it was just the dissenters that were loud on my social media, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I recommend that you turn it on. There is no personal information that's collected now, and I will tell you if I thought there was, because when when Los Angeles partnered with with Citizen for their I think it was called a safe Path something, I recommended that you don't use it because it did use personal information, it had location, they didn't turn off GPS it. You know, it was just the privacy policy was like kind of tough to figure out, and so I recommended that people did not participate in that. And so with this one, I do think it's different, and I do recommend that you participate. But again, you know, we can have different opinions and it's fine. I'm not you know, I'm not saying that you have to agree with me, but I do think that if a lot of people are on board, it probably would help in the bigger scheme of things.
Speaker 2: But that's just you know, we'll leave it there.
Speaker 1: Oh, I guess I should probably say that I do have the videos on how to turn those on on my Instagram at Richon Tech, and I've got the video for iOS and Android. On iOS, it's really easy, you literally just go into the settings and flip it on. But on Android it's a little different. You actually have to download the CAA Notify app to turn it on, and you can easily turn either of them off at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: All right, let's see.
Speaker 1: Midge says, I'm really frustrated with the podcast app on my iPhone. I play a podcast and at the end of it, I delete it and then the next day it comes back.
Speaker 2: What am I doing wrong?
Speaker 1: I choose to automatically download because I don't have un limited data, so I'm picking from the download list when I want to play them. I know it says it will delete after twenty four hours, but I want to go ahead and delete it to get it off that page. I tried one of the podcasts apps you recommended a while ago and didn't like it. Is there another podcast app you like? I agree Midge that the podcast app on iPhone is very, very complicated if you want to do anything more than just like subscribe to a couple shows and play them, but you can't build a playlist, you know. It's like it's just very weird, and it downloads everything all the time. It's like, if you ever look in your storage on your iPhone, if you have podcasts enabled, it's it's gobbling up like gigs and gigs of data just by itself if you don't change the default settings. And I've tried to change the defaut settings, but there's there's no one way to turn them all off or turn them all on. It's really really tricky. So I agree it is a frustrating app, and I'm not sure why Apple doesn't put more effort into like giving it some features, or maybe purchasing one of the other podcast apps and incorporating some of their features in there. And there are a lot of alternatives. I mean, The big difference is that you know, they just don't integrate as well with your iPhone as the of course Apple version does. But the one that I go back to over and over is called pocket Casts, And again it's got a lot of features under the hood. You don't need to necessarily use all of them, but it does have a lot of stuff. A couple of the features I like is the ability to create smart playlists where I like to back when I was like driving to work, I like to have a podcast, like almost like a playlist of all the little things I want to listen to on my ride into work. And it can easily do that and filter out by like Okay, I want these five podcasts. I want them in this order, and I want them to play only one episode, and I want it to be the most recent, like you can do that. It's powerful, and you can do where it automatically downloads like a podcast that you star or it can you know, it's just it just does a lot of stuff. So I have my podcast kind of organized by I have like interviews, and so I go through and any interview I want to listen to in that list, I download and then I look at my downloads and see the list of things that I wanted to listen to, and then I have like a tech list, and then I have like a you know, like a news list, and then I have, uh, what's the other one. I have a special list for Leo Laporte. Every Monday, I listen to his we call it the Leo log or you know, the monologue that he does on Saturday morning. Like I don't know if you know, but Leo on his show, you know, for the when he first comes on, he says like a it's like a ten minute like I don't know what you call it monologue basically like you know whatever, And so I like to listen to that because I like to hear what he has to say. So I listen to that on my commute and anyway, that's on Monday mornings.
Speaker 2: Anyway, you know, you can do whatever you want.
Speaker 1: But that's kind of the podcast app that I always go back to over and over. The one that I want to love is called Overcast, but it just doesn't have like one feature that I need for some reason, and I'm not sure why. It's like I think the one that filters whatever. Anyway, that's that's my thing. But Overcast is also really nice, so that might have been the one that I recommended. I think it's that one's a little bit nuanced for a lot of people. But pocket Cast is pretty good and pretty popular. So talking about music, and I was really surprised at this announcement. Apple Music is now available on Google smart speakers and displays. I thought this was fantastic. I love to see that Google continues to be a little bit more open than you would expect when it comes to integrating different services. Apple has gotten a lot better too, but they always prefer their own stuff over anyone else for a long long time, and they begrudgingly kind of incorporate other stuff. But Google, I feel like they they always try to do you know, like the right thing by you know, incorporating every service and like giving you a choice. And I think that that's lessening, but it's still going. And I think these tech companies are realizing as they get bigger and bigger, that they kind of need to do this to you know, stay out of the the ire of you know, all those those government regulators that want to regulate them and say like, uh, well you gotta break up because you know, uh all the it's like Apple, Apple, Apple, Apple, Apple, Apple Apple Apple. Okay, Google, Google, Google Google Google.
Speaker 2: Uh, and what's the other one? Oh?
Speaker 1: Amazon, Amazon, Amazon and Amazon a little. So anyway, I thought this was great that Apple Music can be a default streaming music service in Google Assistant devices. And I didn't think I'd see that day. And it's great now for me personally, I it's it's really I'm like so close to getting rid of my I I've been using YouTube music for so long, but when you have an Apple Watch, you kind of have to use Apple Music. I've talked about using iHeartRadio as an alternative, but I realized my mistake with that, and the mistake is that you can't off load the music offline. So I was up on a hike and there was no signal for my watch and guess what. I could not listen to iHeartRadio. And that was a it came to me. I was like, oh, here's the downside of this setup. So as much as I wanted to save that ten dollars a month, I'm back to being an Apple Music subscriber so I can download music to my Apple Watch and my wife as well. But so my point is that I've always had Google Play as my music of choice on the Google smart speakers, but now I'm kind of like, okay, well now i could use Apple Music. That's really cool. But the only thing, and this is where they get kind of tricky. Google's very smart. They link Google Play music or sorry, YouTube music to a YouTube premium subscription, so you sort of get it thrown in, and as far as I know, there's not a way to separate them.
Speaker 2: Maybe there is.
Speaker 1: I'm going to look into that because I'd like to save a little bit more money by getting rid of YouTube music and just going with Apple Music because I can use it everywhere now. But and yes, it works on Android phones too, So anyway, that's it. You can do all the stuff you need to do by saying, h Google and you know.
Speaker 2: Playing those Apple stuff.
Speaker 1: So to do this, you go into the home app on your iPhone or Android and I got a little notification on it that said, you.
Speaker 2: Know, link Apple Music, which is pretty cool. I think that's that's great.
Speaker 1: Brian Smith writes in can you recommend an Android version of the I expand sand disc flash drive shown in your segment?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 1: This was brilliant. I did a segment on KTLA. I'm not saying this is brilliant. I'm saying the pick is brilliant. So I did a segment on KTLA where I emailed a couple of my tech friends and I said, hey, would you mind just like you know, putting a camera in front of your face and just saying, like what your favorite gadget is of the year under fifty bucks for like little stocking stuffer.
Speaker 2: Well, I had no idea. Number one.
Speaker 1: Almost every single person I email said yes, and I was like thoroughly surprised. So if you're listening, thank you for doing that. That was very very nice of you. The second thing is I had no idea just how popular this segment would be. It by clicks, it is the most popular segment of the year. Now maybe that's because all these you know, influencers you know, tweeted it out to their friends and you know, of course the network effect took over. Or maybe it was just because so many people like the idea of under fifty dollars gadgets recommended by tech experts. Whatever it was, it was super duper popular. And the I'll just go over the gadgets real quick, since i'm talking this up right. One of them was this sand disc drive or I expand from sand Disc and it was it was a It was a pick from Jefferson Graham, who is my friend over at USA Today.
Speaker 2: So let me just give you the picks.
Speaker 1: Lamar Wilson, my pal from YouTube. He picked the Google Nest Home Mini speaker. Brett from Tech with Brett on YouTube. We become sort of pals on Twitter. He recommended the gov LED light strips for eighteen bucks. Kevin Nether, who is known as Kevin the Tech Ninja on YouTube. He also picked the gov LED light strips. My pal Brian Tong on YouTube. We used to work at scenet together. He picked the airfly. This is like a Bluetooth splitter slash coupler. I guess you can call it for forty five bucks. Lance Yulanoff, he works on the Or he's a guest on the Live with Kelly and Ryan Show. He does tech stuff there and all kinds of he's been. I mean, he's just you know, legend in tech. He liked the Nintendo game and Watch for fifty bucks. Jefferson Graham, like I said, USA Today Tech columnists, who just recently announced his retirement from USA today, but he's still going to be doing stuff, just not there. He recommended the sand Disc I Expand flash Drive Go, which is all drive you plug into the bottom of your iPhone and it, you know, backs up the pictures. And so the question is is there a Android version? The answer is yes. In fact, pretty much any flash drive will plug into the bottom of an Android phone. It's just copying the pictures over that could be kind of tough, and that's what the sand disc software does nicely. It does it automatically. But if you go on sand discs I expand, if you if you just type in sand disk I expand, micro USB or USB C. It depends on what kind of phone you have which device you would get, Brian. So if you just search that on you on Google, you'll find it, and yeah, they make it for sure. Andrew Edwards gear Live. He picked the Chrome Cast with Google TV for fifty bucks. Jacqueline Dallas from Nothing but Tech we met at a one plus event many years ago, or probably like three, but still and we've kept in touch. She's doing really well on YouTube and she's she recommended a USBC hub from Hutu for twenty three dollars, which you got to have a USBC hub if you've got one of these newer laptops. And Leo Laporte, my pal that I just mentioned earlier, he recommended the au Key Omnia one hundred watt charger, which I will probably end up purchasing because he talked it up. And it's a charger that's one hundred watts, so that means it can charge everything, your computer, your phone, anything that's USBC from a laptop to a tablet to a phone. And I'm getting into this whole thing of you know, less is more and so if I can plug everything into that Omnia USBC charger, that's that's a win in my book. And then I threw in my recommendation, which is the Nano Leaf Essential Smart Bulb nineteen dollars. And this is a smart bulb that is really tough to find, but they sell it at the Apple Store and online on the Apple Store, and it's just easy to set up, it's fun, it's hubless, which means you know, it connects easily to your iPhone or Android, and it changes to sixteen million different colors. So there the picks, and that was a fun story. I got emails, I got tweets. I mean, people really liked that story. And my editor Luis put it together. I gathered all the videos and then I said, hey, ar, I wrote like kind of a rough script, but he didn't follow it. He just like kind of made a montage and graphics and it just really came out nice. So if you want to watch that, go to my website rich on tech dot tv and look for I'll tell you what the uh come on, I'll tell you what to look for on there. It's tech experts recommend their favorite stocking stuffers under fifty dollars speaking, I always say speaking. But Apple and Google another thing that they're doing this is gosh a lot of Apple and Google news this week, but it's kind of light on tech news now right now because of the holidays. But I thought this was fantastic.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: I love just when things get a little bit easier in life. And now you can if you use Google Photos. One of the big things that's always been kind of a friction between the two is they don't necessarily sync up that well when you want to make like albums or like favorite some pictures.
Speaker 2: So now you can star a.
Speaker 1: Photo in Google Photos and it will become a favorite in Apple Photos, you know, with that little heart, or vice versa. If you favorite a photo in Apple Photos, you know, tap that little heart, it becomes starred in Google Photos. I love this making my life easier. So here's how you turn on this tiny, little life changing feature. Go to Google Photos, tap your profile account photo in the upper right hand corner, tap photo settings, Apple Photos, and sink favorites, and then turn on SINK or turn off SNC.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't know, maybe this is not useful to anyone else, but it's highly useful to me because as your resident instagrammer, what I usually do, Like for instance, last night, when I went to that Wonderland place, you know, the Winter Wonderland I was talking about, I took a bunch of pictures, you know, I take a lot of pictures, and then the way I would posts them to Instagram is I would go through my gallery heart the ones I think are good, and then I would go into Instagram and I would, you know, look for my favorites and then they would all be there, like in a row, instead of having to look through each one individually. Now, with Google Photos, which is my preferred photos app, I would have to not use that. I would have to go into Apple Photos and heart them there, because you know, on iOS it does not interface with Google Photos. Now an Android it does, but it doesn't even show your favorites. It's it's getting there. We're getting there on Android. And in fact, this is the extent to which I test stuff, just so you know. And this is why I say when I struggle carrying an iPhone versus Android, it's because I love aspects of both, because I use both of them so much. So, for instance, on Android, I love how there's a lot less clicks required to do things. So, for instance, on iPhone, when you want to connect to something on Bluetooth, you have to swipe down, you have to, you know, look at your little Bluetooth indicator in the control center. You have to press and hold to see all the Bluetooth and then you have to press settings and then it brings you to settings. It's like ten clicks. On Android, you literally just swipe down from the top, press and hold on the Bluetooth and it brings you directly to the settings. So it's just like a couple steps less, and it's like that with a lot of things on Android anyway, So to challenge myself, because I do think social media is way tougher on an Android than it is on iPhone, I was like, Okay, I'm going to post all these pictures that I took, which I took, by the way, with the Samsung S twenty fe and they came out pretty darn good. I gotta say that phone is really rocking. I took them all with that, and I went through the gallery on Samsung and I favorited the pictures that I liked, and then I went into Instagram and I found the native gallery chooser and it worked, and I posted all the pictures and anyway, if you want to see them, we can go on Instagram and see those. But so I you know, I do this stuff for a reason. There's a method to my madness so that I understand how these things work, because if I only used an iPhone every single day of my life and never went to an Android or never went back and forth, I wouldn't really understand the nuances between the two, and it's tough to compare in contrast if you're not using them. So it all worked out, and I always joke that whenever I post something from my Android. It never does as well as stuff I post from iPhone. I'm not sure if they favor iPhone posts on social media for some reason, but that post did find so I guess that's not really a thing. I'm not going to spread conspiracy theories here in the rich on Tech podcast, Marty is it March. I'm guessing it's Marty, but it looks like they put an extra letter in. Marty says, help please. I adopted my son and lost a very valuable picture of him and his biological father when he was a baby that was deleted from an SD card during a Samsung S twenty fe factory or set.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, we were just talking about the S twenty Fi. Please let me know if you have any solutions or suggestions.
Speaker 1: Oh Marty, I hate hey, hey, hey.
Speaker 2: Hearing this, and this is why I say.
Speaker 1: Please back up your pictures. Please back up your pictures. Don't do it tomorrow, don't do it the next day. Don't say you distrust the cloud. Please just back up your pictures. You can use Amazon Photos, you can use Google Photos, you can use one drive.
Speaker 2: There are so many ways to back up pictures these days.
Speaker 1: Please get them into the cloud and that way, you don't have something like this happened. You shouldn't have pictures in just one place. And with that said, I've not actually ever tried to do this myself, but there is software that can recover lost data on things or erased data, and this one they sent me some info on it, but it's called Stellar Info s T E l l A r Info dot com.
Speaker 2: And what I like about this.
Speaker 1: Is they have a free data recovery software up to one gig, so that is what I would say. And they say recover lost or deleted documents, email, data files, videos, photos, retrieve data from a laptop, PC, hard driver, USB stick, recover files due to drive formatting or corruption. Drive formatting is what you mentioned. So up to a gig you should you should be able to get this picture back theoretically if if you know, this software works. So again I haven't tried it personally, but stellarinfo dot com slash uh. Just go to their website and it should say somewhere on there free Data recovery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does when you click it.
Speaker 1: So they sent me a little note about this a couple of months ago, and I just kept it in my notes because I knew i'd get a question about this, and sure enough I did. And I hate to get a questions like this because it's really sad to me. I hate people losing their pictures. And I think I told the story last week, but I can't remember. But when you know, I had all these gigs of pictures from my sister and my dad on my Google Drive because when I was upgrading their phones, they'd be like, I'd be like, all right, now, what would you like me to do with your pictures? Like, Ah, don't care about them? And I go, what do you mean you don't care about them? Of course you care about the pictures that were on your phone. Why would you just get rid of all these pictures because you're upgrading to a new phone and it's just you know, they didn't want to clog up their memory or whatever. And I was like, look, I'll take the pictures and I'll put them my Google Drive and one of these days I'll get him back to you. And I think it was like before Google Photos, so it was like there was no easy way to like just kind of put their pictures back because they don't want to pay for like iCloud drive or something dumb like that, and I already gave my dad the warning. I said, look, once we get all these pictures in there, you may have to pay the two dollars a month, you know, to Google Photos, because they're going to start charging. And he's like, oh, that's okay. I mean, you know, hopefully that's okay, you pictures all right. Here's another reason I was. I was talking about the reasons why I like Android, certain aspects of it better than iPhone, and this is a prime example. So they added this feature this week called a Google Assistant Routines shortcuts. So I have one Google Assistant routine that I use almost every single night is called turn on my night Stands, and it turns on my night stands next to my bed, and it also dims them to a reading light level, so nice level. I had at one point some like nice soothing music play as well on the speaker. I turn that off because you know, I don't know why I turned it off, but I just did. But it was kind of like a bedtime routine, right. So but the thing is, every single night I feel kind of dumb going into my room and be like, h Google, turn on the night stands. It just sounds weird, right, So now you can take these little routines that you build and you can make a home screen shortcut out of them. And of course, every time I go into my room at night, I always take my phone and I put it out on my charger.
Speaker 2: So what would I do. I would just unlock it and boom.
Speaker 1: I would press a little routine and write on the home screen and there it goes. Now, I don't always use my Android, so you know this doesn't work on iPhone. You can't make a little routine that's pinned to your home screen because well, you know what, I take that back. You probably could with shortcuts, So you know what, I take that. I totally take that back.
Speaker 2: You could. It's just not gonna be as pretty.
Speaker 1: So I like the idea that you can do this, and I think it's going to make people use routines a lot more.
Speaker 2: It's easy.
Speaker 1: When I opened up my Google Home app, it literally had like when I went into the routine, So if you click routines, it had like a big kind of pop up that said pin this to your home screen. I said, ah, there, it is so cool, and I did it and I pinned it and there it is and it's.
Speaker 2: A great little feature. So build some routines.
Speaker 1: I was talking about this on Twitter and my friend Dave Malcoff, he's a reporter at the Weather Channel well, but he just like takes everything to the next level. Like I do things like kind of you know, like halfway there, he does it like, you know, the full way. So I was saying how I had a couple of these routines and he's like, he tweeted me and he's like, Oh, I've got a routine that when I go into my office and start editing, there's an emotion sensor under my desk that notices my legs and it will cue this routine which dims the lights and it turns on XM chill serious, XM im my smart speaker, and I think, I don't know if it does something else, but I was like, ah see, that's cool, and so I need to do that for my office because I do like to have my lights at a certain level and a little music playing in the background. So I'm calming, you know. I do like the XM chill. That's one of my favorite stations as well, but I haven't done that yet. So I need to do that. And we just need to. It's just some of this smart home stuff can get a little intimidating because it's like how many things like I you know, it's like, oh, I got the Christmas tree on. I've got all these things like with the smart stuff, and you know, it's fun, but it does take a little bit of work to set it up. But once you set it up and you kind of get used to it and you remember to do it, it is kind of fun.
Speaker 2: So there you have it.
Speaker 1: Let's see here, Sharon says, I have a ring doorbell and saw your piece on Fox two now that's my station in Saint Louis. Thanks for watching there. I saw that piece this morning about sidewalk internet for Alexa and Ring. I hope this isn't a silly question, but if I'm not logged into my Alexa app, well I need to log in and turn off the sidewalk option. If I don't log in, will it default to sidewalk? Thanks sent for my iPad iPhone Sharon, Sharon, great question, and it's not a silly question because it's exactly what Amazon doesn't want people to do. This is why they made sidewalk on by default, because half the people that you know set up an Alexa. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say that word and echo. You know, they set it up and they just don't think twice about the app. Maybe they deleted off their phone, maybe they don't need it anymore. Maybe the thing comes set up from the factory.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm not sure why you don't have the Alexa.
Speaker 1: Oh sorry, the app on your phone, but I mean because I feel like you need it to set up the device. But anyway, correct, if you do not have the app and you're not logged in, it will automatically trigger sidewalk on your device, and it's it'll be turned on by default. And that's what Amazon wants because they want as many devices as possible to be on this sidewalk network. So yes, I would recommend if you don't want to be a part of it, you have to download the app a L e Xa and go into these settings. You can follow the instructions I posted on the blog post. If you look at richontech dot tv or on my scroll through my Instagram and you'll see the post with the app on there, and I show you exactly how to turn it off. And again I've said that I'm leaving mine on. I'm excited. I think sidewalk is kind of cool, even though I know that I was having a big debate with my brother. He was saying that, you know, no way would he ever do this. Well, maybe he would like later on, but he's not going to be part of the first wave. And I'm like, all, I understand that, but I'm kind of a tech optimist. I think it's really cool and I see the potential of this thing. I just hope that I'm proven right and not wrong, and I hope that there's no major security gaffes with the Amazon sidewalk. Anyway, if you want to get out of it, download the app and change those settings, all right. I thought this was interesting for several reasons. This is an article from Fast Company, and they did a little piece about how a new study from a Utah pharmacy student suggests that mail order prescriptions are spending too much time in too hot or too cold temperatures in root to your house. And I thought this was interesting for a couple reasons. Number one, recently Amazon started their own pharmacy like mail delivery kind of thing, our mail order prescription thing, and you know, anytime I think of stuff that arrives through the mail, I always think about the whole temperature thing, because if you think about it, when you leave stuff in your car or overnight in a truck, it gets really hot or really cold. And so I always think about this, like we're members of a wine club, and you know, it's like, okay, well, they actually wait to ship the wine even though it's just coming from California. They wait to ship it, you know, a on a week where the temperatures are not extreme. And I was like, oh, okay, that's smart, because you don't want it to, you know, turn to vinegar in a hot fed X truck. So with these prescriptions, they found that in the winter, packages spend sixty eight to eighty seven percent of the time in conditions outside the ideal range for medications, and twenty seven to fifty four percent during the summer. Most medications are purposely formulated to be stored at room temperature around sixty eight to seventy seven degrees, and they shipped like forty eight bubble wrapped packages to six cities nationwide during the summer and winter. So I bring this up just because I always think about this, like the other day, I ordered these energy drinks from Amazon. It was a good deal on Slick Deals, so I got them as like five bucks.
Speaker 2: But I thought about it.
Speaker 1: I was like, Ah, it's so funny, Like how how much they shake around these energy drinks, like on the way to my house. I mean, aren't you told like not to shake cans? But like, you know, these these truck people, you know, the people in the trucks don't even know what they're karting, you know, so it's like they don't know that they're shaking up this stuff.
Speaker 2: It's just really interesting. Anyway.
Speaker 1: I just mentioned that because I always think about that kind of stuff, and I'm glad that I'm not weird, because I do think about like I always thought about like ordering like chocolate off Amazon. My wife likes this certain kind of chocolate that's like super duper expensive, and I know it's ridiculous, but it's really good and it's like got all these good ingredients and stuff, you know, Like a friend at work recommended it to her. Now she eats it. But it's expensive. It's like, you know, a couple bucks for a bar. And I was like, oh, I bet you. Amazon has it cheaper. And I was like, oh, okay, well, isn't it gonna be like a melted blob by the time I get it? And then I think, well, wait a second, doesn't it have to like get from wherever it comes from the factory to the grocery store. So I mean, clearly it's not being anyway.
Speaker 2: So this is the way my mind works.
Speaker 1: Since you're listening to the rich on Tech podcast, I like to give you insight into my brain, and you know that's the way it works. Those are the things that I think of. All right, final question before we go. Dave says, I have Spectrum cable four hundred megabits per second. Oh, I have Spectrum Cable four hundred megabits per second and the Ero Wi Fi mesh. When I conduct a Wi Fi speed test, I get wildly different results. I'm running the test on a six year old Samsung tablet and a Samsung S eight phone. Most recent results show fifteen up thirteen down on the tablet versus three eighty two up, twenty three down on the phone. Or I guess vice versa. Why in your opinion the big difference?
Speaker 2: Thanks Dave.
Speaker 1: Dave, I think it comes down to the antennas on these devices. The essay is relatively new, so it probably has better antennas than the six year old Samsung tablet. That would be my guess. But having done a lot of these speed tests myself, I mean, you're not a nerd unless you're doing speed tests at least a couple times a week. I mean, it's like one of my favorite things to do. It's just like I'm always doing a speed test, like just out of curiosity, what's what's my speed here? So I would say it's probably due to the antennas and the tablet versus the antennas in the phone, if I had to guess, I don't want to get too complicated, but there's different arrays. There's different types of antenna arrays that you know, newer gadgets like the new Roku.
Speaker 2: One of the big selling points.
Speaker 1: When when I was in my you know, meeting with them and they were telling me about the what's new on the Ultra versus the old one. They said, oh, the range is like fifty percent greater because we, you know, we the antenna array is better. It's like, well interesting, And I remember when Amazon came out with their tablets, they mentioned that there. I think it was called like memommo, and it's like, you know, gives you better range on these tablets, and it's like stuff you don't think about, you know, as an average consumer, you're not necessarily thinking about the fact that, you know, what do you get for a four hundred dollars tablet versus a fifty dollars tablet. They both seem to do the same thing. They let you watch Netflix, but the little nuances are things like that the antenna range to drop off, how fast it you know, like those kind of things. So that would be my guest Dave, And I'm sure that's probably what it is. Oh I hear it. That is the sound that means it is the end of the show. If you'd like to submit a question for me to answer, all you have to do is go to rich on tech Actually, you know it's even easier now, so easy. All you have to do is go to rich on tech dot TV slash podcast and click contact and you'll get a little form that gives you all the information you need, or you can press the microphone button at the lower right hand corner of the page. Richon tech dot, TV slash Podcast. We'll take you right there and leave those voicemails. It's kind of fun. I used to do calls, and I just I wish I can get back to that, but it's so complicated, but I love doing the phone calls.
Speaker 2: You can find me online.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'd also like I'd also like it if you would rate and review this podcast to help other people discover it. Just go to rate this podcast dot com slash rich on tech. You can find me online at rich on tech. Thank you so much for listening. My name is rich Dmiro. Stay safe, I will talk to you real soon