Speaker 1: Hey guys, it's Jen Sfessler and Jackie gol Schneider and we are.
Speaker 2: To Jersey Jay two. Jersey Jays. I saw you the other day. Oh yeah, I've seen you a lot lately.
Speaker 1: We went to the VMEs last week. Was no, that was two weeks ago.
Speaker 2: Yes, we went to VMA's. Yes, we were not.
Speaker 1: Sitting together, but we were together on the red carpet.
Speaker 2: That was really fun. It's just fun. It was UNBULLI yeah, it was really fun. It was really really good. And then you know, I.
Speaker 1: Loved Benson Boone, the one of the Rhymestone jacket at the piano because yes, I recognized the song, yes, and then I was like freaking out, like just his whole performance. And you know, I used that song before and I like liked it, but when you see him perform it, and then you're.
Speaker 2: Like, oh wait, I actually love that song. Yeah yeah, And that's why I was. We went to jingle Ball last year and Sabrina Carpenter performed, and I was sort of like, you know, I didn't really get it, like I was too old for Sabrina Carpenter, and then I saw her perform and I was like, Okay, Wow, I get it. Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 1: With Chapel row Into, she's an old soul. I feel like her music is for people who grew up.
Speaker 2: In the eighties. Yes, well, speaking of old souls, I did sort of feel like one on the Red carpet. Not an old soul, sort of an old person.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I felt a little old also, Yeah. Yeah, I mean I got that outfit together and I was so excited about it, and you get I mean, I love the outfit, but like you get on the red carpet and these people are just in over the top, they're like costumes. Yeah, they're so fabulous, you know.
Speaker 1: And then my daughter, who's fourteen, she's recognizing all the people from TikTok who I have no idea who they are. And then when she would get really excited, she was like bro, and I'm like.
Speaker 2: What did you just call me? Bru b bruh. And then we were together to do Jana Kramer. Oh that was really fun.
Speaker 1: You're into country music. I'm not so much. I'm like an all rock kind of girl.
Speaker 2: But it's so funny. But I love seeing you excited.
Speaker 1: But I love her.
Speaker 2: I love her. She is just she's very fabulous, adorable, interesting, beautiful all of it. And I love Kat They're so good together. Yeah, they're very sweet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then we start Amy and TJ on the way out. Yes, Kelly Wanson was good. We have been so I've seen you a lot lately. So last time we talked about what would happen if the show ended, right, and so this is sort of like maybe a little bit on the topic because if it did ends, we would have to start thinking about what's the next step in your career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know, reinventing yourself at a certain point is not always so easy to do, and not everybody even wants to reinvent themselves. Some people are very thrilled with who they are. So I don't actually I don't mean reinventing yourself, but finding purpose, for instance, after you're an empty nester, and women that don't have kids at some point, I guess there's retirement, right or wanting to change gears, and it is not that easy.
Speaker 1: No, But also there's the financial portion, like a lot of people can't afford to just you know, stop working in their fifties. It's not retirement age just yet, you know. So I have a lot of those friends. I have a lot of those friends who are not feeling completely fulfilled specifically when the when the kids leave, but even before that and want to make you know, some changes. And but I know so many friends of mine are successful at having done that, you know, which is so exciting at a later point in life.
Speaker 2: At starting new careers, a life start, not just starting new careers, but just sort of like changing their life around a little bit, even if it's you know, hobbies or like I have this friend Leah who she lives in Florida and she goes to this I don't know if it's an assisted living care. I think it is facility, big place, and she does these chit chat groups is what she calls them. And she sits with big groups of seniors and talks about ask them questions about their past or you know what, what was the most romantic moment you feel like you've ever had? Or what's your I read for that, or you know, things going on current events. But she loves it, and she gets dressed up every week because they love to see how she dresses. She's like, she's actually my stylist as well, so she's a great style and it's something that she just incorporated into her life that I know has just enriched her life. I'm sure it enriches.
Speaker 1: There's also yeah, there was this case on the side note, there was this case in New Jersey actually a few weeks ago where this elderly woman passed away and nobody was claiming her body.
Speaker 2: Do you hear about this?
Speaker 1: No, And nobody was claiming her body and they couldn't.
Speaker 2: Find any family.
Speaker 1: And then it came out that nobody had visited this woman at her assisted living center in like twenty years. And there's this epidemic of loneliness amongst seniors, especially in senior centers. They don't have visitors. A lot of people maybe family has died or moved away or sad they never had kids, you know, So to do that I'm sure is great for her, but for them it's probably.
Speaker 2: Wish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I know it's hard. We're the Sandwich generation right now. Yeah, take care of kids, take care of parents. But you know, back to what we're talking about today, like it is really really hard to start something new in middle age. You kind of feel like your best years might be behind you, and that who's going to give a shot to someone in their.
Speaker 2: Fifties, right, or like it's really hard to.
Speaker 1: You know, Like in my head, it's like when I think of doing something new, I'm like, well, there's already someone better doing it, or someone younger doing it, or maybe all the best products have been invented already, and there's people smarter than me. Like, it's really hard to snap yourselves.
Speaker 2: Out of that. And there's also We've talked about this numerous times, but the invisibility factor that when you get to a certain age, you kind of feel like no one's really that interested in, you know, what you have to say, what you have to contribute. I don't know if that's true, you know, necessarily in middle age, I think gets a lot worse as you get even older. So you know, I always love these stories of women who started businesses are not just businesses, but started you know, making changes as they got a little bit older.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, before we tell you who we were speaking to today, Jen, you actually did just that. Yeah, yeah, did so tell us about your business. For those who don't know, Jen started a shoe business.
Speaker 2: How old were you?
Speaker 1: Fifty fifty? That's amazing. So Jen started a shoe business at fifty? Tell us, like, how did you even have the courage to do it?
Speaker 2: So I was so frustrated at fifty because I have always loved wearing high heels my whole life. I used to do, which is probably the reason I can't wear them anymore. But I used to like walk to work in the city with platforms like stilettos, you know, and everybody's like, oh, put on sneakers for the walk. No way. I was never going to do that. But now' and I've got numerous nasty things going on with my feet, you know, bunions, planter, fasciitis, just whatever. As you get older, your feet, like the rest of you, they widen and they soften. And I could not walk in a pair of high heels. So I was at an event actually for diabetes. My daughters has juvenile diabetes, type one diabetes. And on the way home, I was in heels and we left and I'm walking like barefoot on the streets of New York City, Like there's you don't want to do that. That's I would never suggest doing that. Not a good idea. So anyway, I was, like I said to Jeff, this is madness, the fact that I cannot find one pair of high heels, went home, started to just google it, like you know, like you do, and I couldn't find one pair of sexy high heel shoes. I wanted one pair of black heels that I could wear with anything, you know, something luxurious, and there was nothing. And you know, at age fifty, I actually had some money to spend and I went to I think I believe it was Nordstrums and asked a saleslady, you know, just bring me anything, any pair of high heel like three inches that I could wear with everything. I'm not like, bring me all different pace points anyway. So she brought me what she had and I'm trying to, you know, force my foot into a pair of I don't know whatever it was at the time, whether it was Manolo's or Stewart, I don't know, but couldn't do it. She said, well, honey, you have to just you know, size up. So we size up and I still can't walk and she's like, no, you just have to learn to walk in like a bigger size. And that was kind of my you know, light bulb moment where I'm like, I need to learn to walk like I'm fifty, I'm not learning how to walk okay, So that was that was sort of you know, the impetus, And that's how F major started was I felt like there was no solution for my problem.
Speaker 1: Right, But how do you get from the point? So I think that ninety nine percent of people's dreams die in their heads, which she's really sad, But how do.
Speaker 2: You get to so many other ones that had died in my head?
Speaker 1: And I've I've actually pulled the trigger on a lot of ideas, but a lot of them die in my head also, So how do you get from that moment where you are googling how to do something to actually.
Speaker 2: Yeah, doing it? So this is what I always say when I'm asked that question. So I've had lots of ideas that they may have gotten out of my head and they may have gotten started and they've gotten down on paper, but then somehow they just sort of trickle away. And so with F Major, I built a team around myself really really quickly. What that means is that I called an old neighbor who had been in the shoe business forever and asked him what he thought, and he said that I was indeed right. There were no real, real sexy comfortable shoes for women of my age. He got on the team. Then we found a manufacturer in Spain. They got on the team. Then my best friend from college she got on the team. So once I had the team around me, there was no squirming out of it, do you know what I mean? Like everybody at that point was invested. So that's the only suggestion, you know, I really have in terms of how to I'm not good always at staying on track, and so having you know, three other people invested, not just financially, but you know, emotionally, physically, mentally, whatever, that really helped. And so, you know, F Major changed everything for me at age fifty. And unlike our guests who we're about to introduce you guys to, it didn't turn into or hasn't yet, or maybe we'll never turn into a multimillion dollar enterprise. But it's certainly the journey of it was so fulfilling. And my therapist always says that F Major as great as it's been, whether or not it's you know, it becomes a phenomenon or not. The best part of it was showing my daughter that at age fifty I could start a business. I could, you know, do a lot of things turn my life around. I mean, who knew that The Real Housewives in New Jersey was even you know, an option. But anyway, that's something else. But so that was the best part of it, right, and showing Rachel that anything could happen over a certain age. So it's amazing you found a fulfilling Yeah, I found. So you're still doing it. I am still doing it. Shopfmajor dot com and we have two. We have a black NAPA and patent pump and we have their three inches Oh the tagline is three inches. Never felt so good well as major as they do Shopfmajor dot com. So yeah, and then we have and we also have a beige package.
Speaker 1: I'm very impressed. And I have and they're beautiful. Thank you to shop f Major guys. So our guest I am so excited for because she is such an inspiration really and I don't use that word lately. She You might not know her name, but you know her product.
Speaker 2: Oh yes you do. Yeah, her name is Susie Patiz and her product is poo Perri poopery.
Speaker 1: And when I tell you that this stuff is amazing, everybody bathroom in my house, it's amazing. I don't understand, first of all, how you come up with this idea? How you make it work? Like, how you know to even think of this? I can't wait to talk to her. So, Susie is a self made millionaire and founder of Poopery and it's now a five hundred million dollar business. She has such an incredible backstory of how she started her business at forty two years old, after divorce and bankruptcies, multiple bankruptcies, and childhood trauma. So she had all of it and she still started this massively successful company. So we are so excited to hear her story.
Speaker 2: Let's get her on. Hi.
Speaker 1: How are you? Hi?
Speaker 2: How are you nice to meet you? Nice to meet you, Thank you for coming on, thank you, thank you so glad that you're here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like, I almost can't believe it because I've been using your products forever, so to see the face behind it it is kind of wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we want to know everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let's start at the beginning. How did you come up with this idea?
Speaker 2: And also, well tell our I think I feel like everyone knows, but please tell our listeners who don't what exactly Pooprie is.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, So poopri is it before you go bathroom spray that you spray in the toilet before you go to the bathroom. The oils create a barrier that keeps that's the motor from coming up and to your nose. It's been a minute, says I've pitched it.
Speaker 2: You know it's funny. I spray it right into the air.
Speaker 3: You can do that too.
Speaker 1: I need to.
Speaker 3: I use it. Most people don't know that. I keep telling on our marketing team, like we need that. Say you can use it after.
Speaker 2: H yeah, oh, I don't even read the directions you harrier for us.
Speaker 1: Oh, I use it after, but it works wonderful after Yeah, okay, good.
Speaker 2: So how do you come up with an idea like that?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: Actually, should we go backwards first and start at the start and get the history or yeah?
Speaker 2: Well I I yeah, I want to. I personally, I just have to know how you came up with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah okay, yeah, so we're just start at when I was thirty eight, I had my second bankruptcy stock market crash and invested everything into dot com and really good idea. Still a good idea, but anyway, stock market crash went into a spiritual sup batticle for about two years, like really done, Like I don't want to be in business. I don't want anything. We were at a dinner park. I wrote a course called inside Out, how to create a lifew desire by going within. So I just found bankruptcy right a couple of years ago, don't really have any money. So I have five women my friends like, hey, I wrote this course about how to basically manifest right, and nobody finished the course. And I remember going like, oh, I haven't really been successful, right, Like I'm teaching them these principles, yet I haven't done it. So that's just an important kind of side note that I had that, Like, huh. So a few months later, I'm at a dinner party and someone says, can back the motor be trapped.
Speaker 2: And a dinner party conversation.
Speaker 3: To the family gathering and the house only had one say within an older family. Okay, so there are a lot of people in there, and I had this kind of I don't know how you guys get ideas, but I see things in pictures. It's literally like I'm watching a movie. I just did it. When I met my husband, I'm like, oh, you're not gonna keep you anymore, you're gonna be Preacher. You're gonna do three albums or Preacher Command Resonator twy them exactly what they look like like, I see things.
Speaker 2: Right, Wow, Yeah, that's very cool.
Speaker 3: Why that is? But anyway, so I'm sitting there and I see, oh, oil floats on water. And I have always been this closet hippie, you know, living in Plano, Texas, which I did not ever fit in anywhere. But I was always attracted to natural products. And I grew up in the rice fields of Arkansas, like I didn't have any you know, my grain had a garden that's as much natural stuff as I had. But I saw it and it took me nine months of mixing, and it didn't matter. There was not a single person in my life that thought it was a good idea. Of my mom, my husband, and my kids. They were like, oh my god, what are you doing? And nine months I just kept mixing. And that's what I often tell people. It doesn't don't ask people what they think about your idea because it's your idea, right, They're not ever going to get it, They're not going to know it. So a lot of people get discouraged because They go, well, you know nobody liked my idea. Well, how can they know that?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: It's your idea?
Speaker 2: Well, wouldn't you say? Also, I just want to stop you for a minute. When you mixing, what does that mean? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I was getting oils and mixing every single.
Speaker 2: Day, mixing like by yourself and your kitchen with water, like.
Speaker 1: You were trying to trap odors with that mixing. So you were spraying like an odor substance on top of it.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, I was controlling odor using essential oils. So I so what I do differently in all the products, whether any of the pere products. You know, we have home Pury, pet Pri, we have Supernatural, have another brand. They're the most you know, eco friendly, beautiful, it's really a beautiful brand home cleaning products. But I use essential oils to do the job. So most people use them for aromatherapy. Unless you're really into essential oils and you can use them for health benefits, you can use them. So I decided to use them like you would a chemical, but use something natural that would help control the odor. And I did.
Speaker 2: So you put them, You mixed it in your toilet bowl.
Speaker 3: I mixed them in my house in bottles and then just tested it.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's really cool.
Speaker 1: Wow, do you have any kind of background in that, like in chemistry?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Zero, zero background zero background. As a matter of fact, once I didn't really want to start another company. Remember I just followed bankruptcy and I was going to be into personal development. But the idea was so good that I couldn't abandon it. You know. It's like, I got to get this out to people. So I really didn't have an option. In my own mind, It's like this is we got we got something here. But then I bought two thousand bottles and I had I started a company with twenty five thousand dollars. It was a loan from a family member, and I bought I think two thousand or five thousand bottles. I talked to manufacturer and they wanted like, you know, ten or twenty thousand, and I'm like, and I thought, well, hell, I'll sell them on the trunk of my car. I've done that before, you know. So I bought the bottles and built a little website and started selling to people. And then someone called. It was a local gift shop and he said, hey, my friend told me about this product. You have I want to sell at my store. And I said, oh okay, and I'd already had my margin set out to sell online. And this is eighteen years ago. This is really before a lot of DTOC businesses were, you know, even a thing. And I was selling it at five dollars because that's the margins I needed. And this guy wanted to buy wholesale, and I go, what's wholesale? Like this literally how much? I didn't know and he goes, oh, well, you know, you sell it to me, and then I double it and I was like, oh shit, okay, well I guess it's I've got to sell it for five dollars. Now he's got to sell it for ten. So that's how poopri became ten dollars. And it's been ten dollars for eighteen years. I've never raised the phone.
Speaker 2: Oh okay. I was going to ask, like, it's just such an interesting story because I've had ideas that I've let taper off, but because of what's called imposter syndrome, like when you have been through bankruptcies and you you know, have come up with other ideas and I'm just curious, you know, when you got this idea for poopery. Did you have that whether the doubts. Did you have that in your head or no? I mean I.
Speaker 3: Remember one doubt. Not at the beginning of developing it. Again, it's almost like I had blinders on because I saw it. Does that make sense. Yeah, when you see a picture and you go, there's me standing at Yosemite, I must have been there because there's a picture, right, even if you don't remember it. So it's kind of like that. It's like I saw it.
Speaker 2: So did you see your success or you just saw the bottle of hoopery?
Speaker 3: Well, I just saw oil floating on water. I saw that I could eliminate the odor. Got it, got it, got it Once I did that, my mission was how do I create what I now saw? And I actually have two new companies that two tech companies that we've just started. I started with my husband, and it's because of things that I saw that Now I'm trying to figure out what did I actually see? Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Yeah? For sure?
Speaker 1: So how did you were you discouraged by the people in your life not believing in your idea?
Speaker 3: No, because I really didn't care anymore. You know, you have to the beauty of it's so funny. We have a line in one of the songs my husband and I wrote an album that we're just about to finish.
Speaker 2: My goodness, what haven't you done right lady?
Speaker 3: That's fun We have a line that says, there's beauty and the breakdown of the walls crashing down. So there's something that happens when you're at the bottom. It's really I call it the luxury of losing everything, because once you've lost everything and you realize, hey, I'm intact, I'm still good, I'm living, I'm breathing, you build some sort of resilience, see where you don't really care anymore. Yeah, definitely as the ego and attachment. But I did that with Pee right after the pandemic. I didn't want to come back. I was living in Beverly Hills and the company was really suffering, and I didn't want to come back, and I really thought I was going to lose everything. So I had to face that in myself. Am I willing to lose everything? Wow?
Speaker 2: We've talked about this, like how when you're at the bottom, it's you know this grap you wanted, there's nowhere to go, right, So you have the luxury of that and the luxury if you can only rise. But when you're at the top, there sometimes is that fear that you're going to get sucked back down. Yeah, and so like the beautiful place to live is outside of that sort of My therapist always says like indignity, like there's nothing to lose, there's nothing to gain. You know, you're good where you are, and then you can just do your thing without fear.
Speaker 3: And my probogy that is to go all the way in. And when I say all the way in is I don't mess with the fear. I don't sit there and go, oh, I'm going to try to go to a positive thought. I'm going to like, I don't do any of that stuff right because that's just the thing I don't like about mindfulness as it's full of mind, you know what I'm saying. So what I love is mindfulness is try to try to try to manage your thoughts, try to you know. So what I do is I go all the way down into the bottom, really imagining I've lost everything. I'm a fake. I'm a fraud. Everybody's laughing at me. They think I'm a big joke. Literally, I spent this is two years ago. I spent in my bed for a couple of days, just curled up, going through all of that horror.
Speaker 2: You know, that does not sound like fun.
Speaker 3: Everybody said you teach manifest every story you could imagine. I was going through it and I finally went like, okay, that's it. I'm losing everything. And then I thought, well, that'd make a good story. Do you see how to bounce back up? But they as I go all the way down, I don't try to temper that fear. I'm like, okay, let's go. If I'm gonna lose everything, let's see what does that look like? What does that feel like? What is every story that's involved in that? Yeah, says that it's just like an ayahuasca ceremony, you know, or any sort of medicine ceremony, if you've ever done any of those. The thing is you're get shown the dark thing, but you look at you face it, and then you integrate it, and then it doesn't have power anymore.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like you would have had that sort of wherewithal when you were younger? Because we're all about talking about, you know, reinventing ourselves, not just reinventing ourselves, but you know, finding things that fulfill us as we get older. And uh, for me, I feel like I could do things now that I would never have been able to do in my twenties or thirties.
Speaker 3: Oh no, yeah, no, no way, you're so much more wise. Yeah. My daughter the other day was talking about she was taking a lot of personal accountability and I said, you know, and she was like, I'm going to go in and do some work on that. And I said, you know, it's so great that you're facing that and taking accountability and that you know it's safe enough. I said, only wisdom would know what's safe enough to go there. And she was like, oh mom, And I go, yeah, I go. That's the beauty of wisdom. You know, I can dive to those deep dark places and I'm going to be okay, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: It makes sense anymore.
Speaker 3: It's like, Okay, I need.
Speaker 2: To get past that fear.
Speaker 1: I still am afraid of those things, and I think that holds me back and I actually pull the trigger on a lot of ideas, but I get sucked down by people not believing in me. I hold things very tight to the vest, like I won't tell anyone until it's a success, so that they don't know.
Speaker 2: If I fail.
Speaker 1: I'm scared of people seeing my failures.
Speaker 3: Oh you know, it would be a really fun exercise. If you go to the coffee shop this week, say they say what's your name? When you go Hi, Jackie, I could really be a failure. I'm a failure and see what happens. So I love they good all somatic exercises.
Speaker 2: What will happen? I think you would end up in patience Jackie herself she only lost. She's looking for helping start ups.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, you know I did it when I first got divorced. I was terrified of being I'd been married twenty six years. That was my identity. And one of my friends, best creative coach in the world, Gillian Farrabee, she said, order your coffee and say, hey, I'm Susie. I'm single. And I did. I went to order it and I'd go, I'm Susie, I'm no God. I just cry for like two weeks. Every time i'd order my coffee, I'd be like, I'm Susie, I'm single.
Speaker 2: And they never called the men in the white coats. They just like, have your coffee.
Speaker 3: Okay, someone would write, Susie is single.
Speaker 2: Single, Oh my goodness, why did it help?
Speaker 3: It helps because you face it, you know, it's the same thing. It's like, hi, you know Jackie. You know I feel I could be a failure, you know, and if you just do that, they're like, oh dude, me too.
Speaker 2: Right, well, what do they say in the twelve step programs? Acceptance is the first said the first step. Accept it when you're free of it, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a big dark secret. I'm afraid it. We're all afraid of being a failure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can I ask you? I'm dying here the rest of this story. So the guy bought, he put it in his store. He sold it for ten dollars, and then what.
Speaker 3: And then the next day another store called and said a friend of mine bought this product, put it in his store, and I buy the product, and the next day another friend.
Speaker 1: And what was your mindset? Were you like, oh my god, I can't believe this. It was your first successful, really successful product, right?
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was excited. I was like, wow, this is amazing. And then they said you need to go to market. And I'm like, what's market? And they're like, well, you go to the gift market and then you set up a booth and then people come to place orders. And so I did my first gift market in Dallas, and that's the point where I wanted to leave. We set up the booth, you know, and I have like, you know, drapes and a toilet with yellow faked limits. It was so bad and people kept walking by laughing. And I looked at my husband at the time and I'm like, we got to get out of here, okay, and he goes, we paid five thousand dollars. I don't care. We're getting out of here, like this is an embarrassment. But he talked to me out of it, and I talked to myself into staying. And we made like fifteen or twenty thousand, and we were so excited.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's a lot of money. Was an entire investment right there. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then they were going, are you going to Atlanta Market? I'm like, when's that? And they're like, in two weeks. So I called Atlanta, go to Atlanta and then they go You're gonna go to New York Market And I'm like, when's that and they're like, oh, that's in three weeks. I'm like, okay, great. So I just kept literally everybody just kept leading me there. I was like, and I just.
Speaker 2: Have to ask you, like, when you're that big of a success, I just want to know what that feels like. And I don't care. I'm just going to say it the money of it all, And I know you're probably gonna say that's probably it wasn't the most fulfilling part. But like what I.
Speaker 4: Think, like it's that must be so crazy and exciting, and I don't know, like tell us some of maybe that wasn't the money that thrilled you.
Speaker 2: Maybe that was just be me, but it wasn't because I.
Speaker 3: Had a very complicated relationship with money. You know, I had a lot of poverty mindset to really overcome. You know. I remember the first time I bought a pair of Farantinium Baker boots from Barney's and they were like six hundred bucks. This is like fifteen years ago, and I sent them back three times. Oh, and I was making you know, we were doing a couple of million dollars a year, but it was so oh my god. So I had a lot of worthiness issues. So money was the business was doing its thing, and I never really took it personal. So I never really thought, oh yay, I made a bunch of money. It's just like almost like a child like you got to get at school. Yeah, you made an a that's awesome. That's the child, right right, child. You don't sit there and go ooh, I have a child who got day's I made or so smart? You know what I'm saying. You just go, that's great. Bag. Maybe. So that was my relationship and still is my relationship with poopery.
Speaker 2: That's probably way healthier than the way that I think, which is just not that you should be. I don't know if you're driven by money, if you ever really find the kind of success that you want, right, But I feel like I would be so excited about that part of it. Yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 3: Again wonderful news. You probably don't have worthiness issues to work through.
Speaker 2: Oh believe me. I have plenty of issues.
Speaker 3: Do sound like it right there? But other issues, But you say we all have own. That was an issue that I was working through and really still are, like, what is you know, I've been married for a year and both of us had to have had to have some really harsh facings of worthiness. You know, how can you you know what happens when you get everything you ever wanted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you just wait for the h Yeah yeah, I heard it. Or you know, I always waiting for a shoe to drop after that, Like when something good happens, I'm waiting for it to get right to get So what's been the most exciting part of this for you?
Speaker 3: What I learned is to not be attached. I was like, oh, it's its thing, I'm not going to be attached to it because I'm not going to go on the ride of money. I've been bankrupt twice. I've been Forbes richest women, I've been bankrupt twice. Don't get on you.
Speaker 2: You have bankrupt after Forbes.
Speaker 3: I was bankrupt when I was twenty and then I was bank thirty.
Speaker 1: Are you comfortable talking about that. I'd love to know your backstory.
Speaker 3: I'm comfortable talking about everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So what was your first Your first bankruptcy was from starting another product.
Speaker 3: No, I had a bridal salon I bought when I was nineteen. I got married, I was married, bankrupt, and divorced by the time I was twenty one.
Speaker 2: Wow wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But the really fun part is I when I was seventeen, I invented a pair of denium shoes. I really get to tell the story. It was really fun. It was back in the day when guest genes were really anyway you wore, like if you were a pink sweater, you were pink pumps. It was like the cigarette leg ye, the colorful pumps, right eighty two. But anyway, I thought, well, you know if I if these were dentialm they would match everything. So my boyfriend's aunt worked a shoe factory. I draw up a shoe, I cut up some dinum and leather, and she makes me this dental pump. So I called guests in New York and I'm like, oh my god, here I am seventeen year old little girl from Arkansas.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I called them and they're like, we're coming out with a shoe line. Come see us. And I was like wow. So I called. I go to my mom and I'm like, I got to go to New York. Guests, you know, wants to see me see my dental pump. And she said, you can't go to ark I mean to New York. I said, why, She goes, You're just that girl from Arkansas. They're going to chew you up and spit you out. So I never went right. Well, I came out with two years later, a dnim shoe, a dentim pump. Right, Lena did a pump you know.
Speaker 2: Wow. How was your relationship with.
Speaker 1: Your mom.
Speaker 3: Tumultuous?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, I was molested by my stepfather and when it came out when I was sixteen, she ended up living with my stepfather until she died. So it was a massive betrayal, you know, my psyche.
Speaker 1: So I understand my relationship, and now I'm not surprised that, you.
Speaker 3: Know, just like that, like, yeah, she really did believe they're going to choot me up and spit me out. You know.
Speaker 1: It was Yeah, she probably thought she was protecting you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, so that never went anywhere. Okay, so what made you bankrupt? Just creating the shoe using all your money?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I bought a bridal salon, so then I thought, oh, there's a bridal salon. A lady was going out of business. It ended up with a bunch of old inventory. She really tricked me, you know. But anyway, I ended up following bankruptcy and just moved on.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is such everything about this is inspirational and I think, you know, we hope that our listeners are not just middle aged but also you know, younger, and like, how great, Like I want my daughter to hear about this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's really easy to believe that when life knocks you down that there's that's it, that's all there is for me, And like, I took my shot and now that's done. So how do you pick yourself back up after that? Especially being so young and not having support.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm starting to understand the answer to that question. That's the that's the question that stumped me the most over the past, you know, ten years of doing these interviews is people would say, where'd you get your resilience? And I was like, I don't know, you know, but what I believe is it's faith. I was raised in a very dog at a super conservative Christian environment that I rebelled from for many years. But they're also the beauty in that there was a seed of faith in me that knew that everything's going to be okay. You know my father, It's funny I learned about balance from someone that was bipolar. My dad was a bi bipolar. He was also alcoholic, but he used to draw me the universe, and he'd be like, here's the way the universe work. So he's teaching me metaphysics in Arkansas nineteen you know, when I was a god in the seventies, and he would say, and he had no metaphysical training, but he would say, the universe is balanced, right. You can't believe in angels if you don't believe in demons, he said, But the way that it's designed is evil can never overtake good because it's a perfect balance that in itself is benevolent.
Speaker 2: So that's so cool. Yeah, I mean I never thought of it that way.
Speaker 3: Exackly equal. There's a little bit more benevolence because of just that alone. That's what raises it to where so I always it's trained from a young age to know that everything's okay.
Speaker 2: I spent so much time worrying about evil taking over, especially right now at this point that our world where we are right now, and we're two Jewish women, and I think there's a lot of fear specifically for Jewish people right now. I know there is in this country. And what a fabulous thing, yeah, And what a fabulous thing for me to hold on to and share with my friends, and not only that, but like talking about younger people. I have two kids in their twenties, and they get so frightened, like what if this doesn't go well? What if it doesn't go right? Where will I be in there? I'm like, you're in your twenties, this is the time for all of that. But still you know, having some faith, and I think just sharing with them this story is going to be very valuable to them.
Speaker 1: So how do you feel about if there was someone in our lives who was creating something that we didn't think was a great idea? Do you believe in just shutting your mouth or being honest or just supporting someone blindly no matter what?
Speaker 2: Like what hell? What it helped you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a rule, right, what is it? Is it useful? Is it productive?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What are those things?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I know there's like there I want to say, it's there's like four letters or something. There's something you never.
Speaker 3: Idea, but I still kind of do it. No, I don't exactly remember, it's like, hold on, is this going to serve right? The person, the project, whatever it could be? Feedback that's necessary, Like, hey, it didn't work for me. That's very valuable feedback to It's not negative, it's honest, it's right. I love that you're going for it, and I had issues with it. Can I tell you what happened right, rather than oh, that's a bad idea that sucks. You're going to fail, you know, or overinflating pretending like it's good when it's not. One of the issues. I do believe we make too much stuff, but I think the issue is we don't make If we only made stuff that made our lives better, we would have way fewer products, you know. So that's the question is does it make the world better, does it make you better? Or is it just more crap we're putting out in the world.
Speaker 2: And this might be a very ridiculous question, but I can't help it. You have a daughter, one daughter, do you have other one you want to tell daughter?
Speaker 3: And two sons.
Speaker 2: I'm just wondering how just watching you. I know that when I created a business when I was fifty, and I was just saying earlier, my therapist said, the greatest part of this is having your daughter watch you at fifty create something and feel so good about it. But I'm just wondering all of these messages I want to share them with my kids. And I wonder about your kids. Are you able to do all of this, not just in theory, but in practice, kind of stay out of their space and let them fail. And because I work very hard at that. It's not easy.
Speaker 3: It's not easy. It's not easy. Still. Now, you know, one of my sons right now, we're we're trying to mend. But you know he has a lot of anyway, it doesn't matter. You know, there's family issues.
Speaker 2: Right there, always are there, always are.
Speaker 3: They always come up and it's always about like you know, i'll tell you what I told him. I won't tell you his part, that's his business. But I said, you know, I apologize for having the misconception that I could alleviate struggle in your life and that it would be good for you.
Speaker 2: Thank you. When I have to write it down, Jackie, do you have a pen? Okay? Perfect? Because I want to say that to my children. I'm sorry that I had the misconception.
Speaker 1: That I could alleviate struggle, that I exactly eliminate your struggles for you, right, because everything you need struggles, right.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: It's the truth. It's like, man, I had a really misconception. I thought, if you didn't struggle, your life would be great. That's really what I thought. What a myth?
Speaker 1: That's I asked you about your spiritual work. You have a platform called Eliva shit. Can you tell us about that?
Speaker 2: Which is obviously obviously.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, well it's actually called Alivas. Oh. I did want to call it a live as shit, but I couldn't because of you can't do ads right saying shit right. Okay, So anyway, it's called a live OS for a live operating system. I do have any on Siginus says a live as shit, But yeah, Aliva WES is basically a thesis. It's taking the twenty years of hardcore personal development work. I don't do anything halfway, you know. I've done over one hundred and seventy something hallucinogenic journeys in ceremonial settings, psychological reasons. I've done EMDR for over ten years, religiously, I've done somatic therapy for thirty years, countless workshop. So I'm just mean I've been in it, right. So what happened is I took the eight markers that I thought, really that things that I learned that really made a change in my life and I packaged them together. I say, at the very beginning, this is a thesis. Here's my teachers, here's my mentors. I don't know where my work stops. And there's starts and there's ends. You know, I'm saying, I don't, so I've tried to give as much credit as I can. But it's like you go through college and you go, hold on, here's what I learned, and here are my theories and my ideas, and it drastically changes people's lives. The first time I taught it, I taught it to twenty five women. I asked them to be my accountability partners. I wanted to rewrite that program that I wrote, you know, eighteen years before, and man, they were getting divorced. They were like quitting their jobs, They're moving across country. I was like, hold on, people, what are you doing? And what I realized is they were just looking for permission. These were all inner desires that had been happening for a long time, you know, I'm saying. And now all of a sudden, as they're working through the system and learning about residents and dissonance and how to identify these things once you can't once you identify dissonance, you can't unsee it. It's like, oh shit, this is draining my energy. Okay, great, what am I going to do about it? Then you can make choices. People that say, oh, this marriage is killing me, this job is killing me, there's truth to that. It's actually draining your life force energy. So a lot of people through an eight week process for basically getting rid of the shit. You know, we dump a lot of shit and then we start putting in good ship. Wow.
Speaker 1: So is it designed more for people who are Do you find that the women who come to you are more drawn for they want to start a new business, or they're just people who are struggling in their life.
Speaker 3: Everyone everyone's struggling with something. Yeah, the relationship of business, what's happening in the world. You know, there's if so it's for anyone.
Speaker 2: Do you tend to draw more young, younger women or middle aged women? Just everyone?
Speaker 3: Everyone? Usually middle aged to older women.
Speaker 2: That's what I would think.
Speaker 3: But we've had people. I've had girls as young as thirteen go through it. Wow. Wow, Yeah, it's a it's a great program. Yeah. So really, anybody can do it because the principles are very basic you know, but it is a process and we put you in a group and you have these accountability partners. It's really fun. There are still I haven't really taught it in a couple of years. I'm getting ready to do another live one and really start promoting it again. But you know, there are people that have a live groups from four years ago that are still you know, in their mentor circles.
Speaker 2: Really, our listeners can sign up for this online obviously.
Speaker 3: Oh you just go to Susie Batist.
Speaker 2: I see you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can I ask you back to poopery because I just think that it is such an amazing product. When was the moment that you were like, wow, I have truly made it? Like was there a celebrity who was like I have this in my bathroom like Oprah or not that Oprah poops? But was there like a place where you saw it being sold or you know, on in the bathroom at the Oscars, or was there.
Speaker 2: Any moment for you?
Speaker 1: Not really again, you stay separated from that.
Speaker 3: I do, I really do. I go to gratitude, you know, each time somebody goes, oh my god, I love that product, I just go to, oh my god, I'm so grateful, thank you for buying it, you know, because even though I've sold one hundred and eighty million bottles, those are one hundred and eighty million people that took a chance.
Speaker 2: You see.
Speaker 1: I think that's my problem is it goes straight to ego for me. Yeah, it goes to ego, and then it goes to fear. It goes to wow, I really made it, and then it goes to wow, there's nowhere but down to go.
Speaker 2: That's all of us. It's very hard to get where. I don't know if it's hard, but it takes a while. Susie, where you're in therapy.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I've been in therapy for twenty years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too. You know.
Speaker 3: It's like I've made it to where right was?
Speaker 2: I not a whole before poopery?
Speaker 3: Righting I've seen is whenever I have tried to make it, I keep moving the carrot, so I never really make it. Yeah, you know, so I got tired of trying to make it, Like, Okay, I'm not going to get to where I want to go because I keep moving this damn needle and I know I'm moving it. But then if that happens, then I'll really you know, so I just kind of learned to detach myself from that and be like, it's doing it's thing, you know, just like my children, they're doing their life and it's awesome and I get to be freeing.
Speaker 1: So now that you have this amazingly successful product and spiritual course and website, and is what's next? Do you feel like you should like you can just like slow down and stop or do you have a million more ideas?
Speaker 3: Well? I thought so. I was a year and a half ago, I was living six months in Ohi, and I was moving to Kauai and going to live six months in Kawahi and six months in Ohai. And I came home for a month before I was going to Kauai, and I fell in love with my husband here in Dallas.
Speaker 2: How just out here asy real quick? How'd you meet him?
Speaker 3: And what is he like? We've known each other for five years, just socially and no attraction to each other. And one night he came over for a business meeting that I wanted to blow off because we both love helping young artists and a friend of ours was like, you guys got to get together and collaborate, right, And he walked in and my entire body shook. And we have a song called the Moment and he's like, you know, it's it's literally something happened in that moment. We still don't know. We'll probably for the rest of our lives not know. How can you have zero attraction to anyone and at parties at my house like zero and then all of a sudden you are madly, wildly in love. It was. It's the wildest thing.
Speaker 1: Still, what a life life, Such an interesting life. Agree, it's so we.
Speaker 3: Were I say we wrote thirty two songs that first two months we were together. We didn't sleep or eat. I kept texting Gay my mentor going, am I, okay.
Speaker 2: Are you selling this album?
Speaker 3: And someone playing he's a musician, he's a singer.
Speaker 1: Wow, are you selling this album? Did you sign them?
Speaker 3: And I will launch it in March of next year for you, my roly don'te an article on him. We performed some of the songs that he performed at south By Southwest. It's just fun.
Speaker 1: Wow, it is.
Speaker 2: It sounds like you're really creative.
Speaker 3: So your child will make a drawing and you're like, oh, that's great and they're like yeah, and it's on the fridge and they're making another one. Right. That's the way I consider ideas. It's like I'm not attached to them. We know, it's like they're just ideas. Man in some works, some don't. I have a goal at Fred, I tell the whole team is we just got to win more than we lose. That's it. So losing is a part of it. There's not a single sports game in the world you don't lose something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: I love that because I take losses really hard. You do, but if you if you consider it as part of the whole, you know, it's no wonderful way to live. Yes. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So our main audience who we speak to are women in middle age who we've we've talked about the fact that we are sort of like an invisible in society. You know, you lose you know, we were mothers, We are mothers, and then your children grow up and suddenly you lose purpose. So what would you say to anyone in their forties or fifty who was trying to think of something new to surround.
Speaker 2: Your career business even necessarily just like interview direction, but they're scared go to the coffee shop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go to the coffee shop. Aye, I'm cam are scared. Yes, I'm scared, and lamont that the biggest in bird by Bird, Right, whatever is your biggest fear or secret, paint it red because then it has no power over you. What does that mean? Pain't it read like highlight it? You know? Whatever your biggest secret or fear is highlighted?
Speaker 2: What do you mean like highlight it in your mind? And I tell people about it?
Speaker 3: People?
Speaker 2: You tell people about it.
Speaker 3: I've done that on stage. I'm terrified to be apround stage. I just wanted to let you guys know that before we start. And what I really want to talk about today is right, it's like it. I used to do that because I was scared, and I would just let them know I'm scared.
Speaker 1: And what about the money part of like taking a loan and like putting yourself in debt?
Speaker 2: Jackie's very practical or sort of like, yes, well, I mean that's a part of it.
Speaker 3: Ever, now we were debt free. We have a line of credit now because we do a lot of business, but we didn't even have a loan until maybe like six or eight years ago. We operated off our own capital, no investors, no loans, so we only have a line of credit now, we don't have a loan.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's amazing. You're really inspirational, the coolest you really are. Well, we have your products, we love them, we love That's why we really wanted to talk to you.
Speaker 2: But this is all amazing. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just think that your mindset with everything is so centered, and I think what I learned today is like to take my ego out of it.
Speaker 2: It's a process. Not an easy thing to do, right. I find I've had that message again for my therapist for a long time, and it's it's for me, it's not it's a process, and I'm better at it now than I was, you know, a year ago. But especially Jackie with we're both on a reality television program. I don't know if you knew that. Yeah, I'm not surprised that you don't know. I'm picturing you not even watching TV.
Speaker 3: I went ahead. I have cable now, but I didn't have it for twenty years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I feel like that. I just I've that was an easy guess for me. But anyway, we're in this very interesting industry and it's very hard to factor out your ego. We're surrounded by ego.
Speaker 1: And a lot of judgment on social media, a lot of judgment about everything you do and whether you are a success or a failure.
Speaker 2: So it's hard to separate yourself from that.
Speaker 1: But I think if you can take your ego out of things, Like last year, I wrote a book, and if I could let the book just live and not make the book about like how successful I am, yeah, I think I'd enjoy the process a lot more.
Speaker 3: You know what. I I was in a similar place a few years ago before the pandemic. You know. It was the Forbes and you know, it was negotiating with some people at Netflix, and like there's all kinds of stuff happening. It was all about me, right. The problem is I really started believing it was all true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, belie your own hype.
Speaker 3: I didn't like myself, you know, and that's the reason I just went. I tapped out of everything. Thank goodness, the pandemic came. I was like, great, thank you. But I literally said this. I said to one of my true Jillian, the creative, to my best friend. I said, I wish I could sell the rights to Susie Pettis so that I could start living my life, and she goes, do you hear what you just said? And that's when I realized, whatever this character is of Susie Pettis I have bought there's too much weight there, right, Yeah, it's like, whatever that is, I don't even want it, so what is that? So then I've been in this four year. That's the reason I'm not out that much anymore. I'm getting ready to be I will be. But I really had to come at it from a different place because I started believing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah cool, Well this was amazing.
Speaker 3: None of it's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know. None of that's true. All of it's made up. I think that all even.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm the greatest saying since peanut butter, and I'm the biggest piece of shit.
Speaker 2: It can all happen in a day. Yeah, absolutely, I'm telling you, Jack, I do. So we talked. I talk about this so much in therapy and it is a delight to talk about it with you. Yeah, this is great.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for joining us. We love your product, I love your six sus We wish you everything good. Doesn't sound like you need our well wishes because.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you so much and the same to you and send me send me your show. I want to watch it.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'm not so sure.
Speaker 1: Your spirituality.
Speaker 2: You'll have to use the pole. We enjoy it just because it will be so like foreign to you. Maybe yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm because I know you guys and will never use foobery the same. Well, thank you, Thank you so much, a pleasure. Be well, okay, bye bye bye. Amazing cool. She's so so I.
Speaker 1: Can't stop thinking about that part about separating your ego from it, like how much less pressure?
Speaker 2: Jack? Do you know how much we talked about that. I mean, I talk about that. That is ego. It's all ego. All this stuff with not just housewives but your business. It's all about like trying to separate from the ego.
Speaker 1: I know, like everything becomes about how it's going to make you look, or how it makes you feel, or how successful, like always chasing, chasing.
Speaker 2: Chasing, chasing. Yeah, well what a mindset she has.
Speaker 1: She's really that's why she's so successful because she just never gave up.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 1: That was great And if you have not tried poofery it actually, yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: Great, fabulous product, and I will start actually spraying it beforehand into the water. Who knew.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't even know that either. I just sprayed in the air.
Speaker 2: I hope you guys love that as much as we did. Did you tell people where to buy F Major? Oh that's a friend, Thank you very much. If you guys want to check out F Major my three InChI heels, go to shop f major dot com.
Speaker 1: The first time I met Jen, she had a suitcase full of F Majors with her. She was hustling. Yeah, this was years before the Housewives. She was hustling her shoes. Yeah, okay. Well, I hope that if any of you have ideas in your head that this inspired you to maybe do a little digging on how to get started and maybe pull in a friend or someone.
Speaker 2: You trust and go for it right, get rid of the fear, right all right, guys, see you next time. Until next time, that's love. Bye bye,