Speaker 1: Well, well, well, we're back again for episode one, and we've got a very special episode in store for you today as we continue getting ready for the upcoming season with a former long term NBA assistant and head coach, currently the head coach of USC's men's basketball team, Eric Musselman, on today's episode.
Speaker 2: Hey, look, this is the top tier show.
Speaker 3: What wait, it's what we do. It's what we do, got Eric?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, okayim, he's here now, Okay for in a moment, but let me introduce myself.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 4: I'm Jack O'Brien and this is my Boosties do Sorry, got it? Looka don chic his Okay?
Speaker 3: Here you gob driving spinty fat number night Gene.
Speaker 5: That's good.
Speaker 3: Secure.
Speaker 5: Let's sell picture NBA champions over the double team.
Speaker 1: To be honest with the time, Eric Musselman, coach muss, welcome to the show. Even though I am a former Bruin at heart, I welcome you as the USC men's basketball coach to our illustrious show. Thank you so much for joining us. I mean, look, you've we were saying like before you actually got on. I'm like, I think this guy has probably seen the game from almost every conceivable angle in terms of coaching and whatnot.
Speaker 2: So it's really great to have you here so we can pick your brain a bit.
Speaker 6: Now, Thanks Miles, I appreciate you and and jack having me on today.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely absolutely So. We have so many questions. We don't even know where to start. Which way should we go? Jackson's to us since we are the hosts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you you recently told a story about working with Jerry West that was pretty interesting to us. Get to sort of just the level of skill, the level of intensity that I feel like you only see behind the scenes. Can you talk about just your experience with with Jerry West just to give people a little taste of like what kind of you've seen it all? It's Blade Runner.
Speaker 6: There's so many stories. You know, working at Memphis, the head coach was Mike Urtello, I was one of the assistant coaches. Obviously, Jerry West was the general manager. And you know, I like in the draft room, Uh, the most competitive person I've ever been around. And you know there was a game where Kenyan Martin was not blocked out by one of our bigs and UH, and Jerry West came in after the game.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: In the locker room, uh, and addressed the non blockout in about is the most intense post game locker rooms situation I've ever seen. Can't really use a lot of the words that were used in that locker room that night on not blocking out Kenyan Martin, But I mean there were so many stories that you know. One of them I was I was rebounding or working out whatever term you want to use for Dante Jones and the phone rang at the Scorge table. It was like a four point thirty in the afternoon for seven o'clock seven oh five tip off, and the phone kept ringing and Scott Adebata was one of the assistants, and he said, must go answer that phone. It's probably Jerry West. And I had just joined the team, because remember that was the year that for Tello, I took over you for Huby Brown once the season was already underway and the only coaching changes were for Tello and then myself. And what had happened is Jerry was watching the workout that I was putting Dante Jones through and didn't agree with some of the skilled development stuff I was working on, some of the areas that I thought Dante needed to improve on Wow, Jerry just wanted him to work on what he was going to do that night, and he used to sit up in the owners suite and watch. He wanted to know who the first players on the floor were for the opposing team and our own home team, and then he wanted to watch the players work out to look at their intensity level, attention to detail, and he wanted to watch the assistant coaches on both teams to see who knew what they were doing. So that's just one example of his attention to detail and then his work ethic. Obviously for a guy of his stature, I mean, he's the logo and he's there, first executive in the building at four point thirty, already up in his little perch waiting to see and look down and evaluate everybody that was on the floor, way before even the first bus came, because obviously in the NBA there's a first bus, second bus. He wanted to see about those guys that were you in a taxi cab with maybe a lower level assistant coach at the time. So super super detail and about as competitive as any human being I've ever been around.
Speaker 3: How is his competitiveness And in the draft room, specifically because I mean legendarily the guy who saw Kobe before anybody else saw Kobe. But like, how is how is that manifesting itself?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I think all those Kobe stories I wasn't around obviously, then I think they're all true.
Speaker 7: I know that.
Speaker 6: You know, the year that I was with him, he went and saw Monte Ellis play before anyone really knew who Monte Ellis was. And he came back and said that he thought he saw a guy that could average fifteen and twenty points a night, and he was right. And you know, that was evaluating a high school player, which is you know, super super hard to do. Yeah, and we just were we drafted that year. It was more in the mid first, so we were not going to take Monte early. But I remember him keep saying, like, hey, Monte Ellis is going to be better than any of these guys that were going to draft in the mid first. But he had his eye on uh Gerald Green uh and Danny Granger, and both those guys went pretty close to right before uh we picked, and he walked out of the draft room. He was so frustrated that those two guys had gone directly in front of our pick, which ended up that year being Hakeem Warwick. But he was so competitive and was so fired up to get one of those two guys, and and and and he was he was so right on with his evaluation of players and how they would fit in with the current roster.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I get that.
Speaker 3: I I sometimes get frustrated when I got my eye on someone in a fantasy draft and taken, you know, a couple of picks before me. So basically the same thing.
Speaker 6: We were on the clock, you know what I mean. It's like, hey man, we're down to nine minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got to make a pick, and it's he's just leaving because he's so mad.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was between an NC State guard that Denver took and Warwick and and we're trying to make this decision. And then Jerry came in about a minute and a half before the draft and and went with the guy that had a little bit more size.
Speaker 3: There you go. Was it hard to argue with him when he when you're taking a call from him, I'm assuming he's being very diplomatic about telling you what you should be doing with Dante Jones, setting your workout and just being like taking your feelings into consideration, But you did you have a moment where you look down and looked at the logo and you were like, the logo is calling me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Well, the.
Speaker 6: First encounter with with with Jerry West was, uh, we had made a trade in Golden State going into my year two and we had a really good year one with a lot of young pieces. But Gilbert Arena swalked after year one and there was a shift in the organization where they went with a lot of older vets, probably knowing they were going to fire me, and they were going to fire the general manager, Gary Saint Jean and Chris Mullen was going to take over, right, Avery Johnson, Popeye Jones, Nick Van Exel. We got a whole group of older guys that were coming into our program. But a trade was made and Jerry called me and said you're gonna get fired time in the next twelve months based on the way the roster was moving, and he was one thousand percent right. That was literally the first time that I ever talked to Jerry West.
Speaker 3: Hey, man's up, you get fired, coach, and let me start the clock real quick.
Speaker 2: There's the countdown.
Speaker 6: Yeah. She hit my phone and said, hey, Jerry West is on. At that point, I was like thirty seven year old coach and I'm like, hey, just directed to Jarry Saint Geane like I don't want to, you know, be involved with talking to another GM, and she said no, he insists in talking to you. It's not necessarily about a trade proposal. And I got on and literally he said, you're not going to make it bad. Chemistry stuff going on there with your with your with your additions and so on and so forth, and he goes, you'll be fired in twelve months. Click and wow, he gave me three months more than what I actually got from the from the moment of the phone.
Speaker 3: He was he just doing that to talk trash or was he like, so keep us in mind when you're looking for the next job, or what was his purpose in telling you that you were about to get fired, just like something he had figured out and wanted to make sure you knew.
Speaker 6: I'm not really sure, you know, Jerry mysterious way. I don't. I'm not really sure what was when he when he made the hire of of coach for Tello. I was, you know, I got a phone call right after he and coach for Tello got you know, came to an agreement, and you know, he was the one guy that I brought on with Mike. So I don't know if he had been watching studying or what, but but I you know, was fortunate enough to then end up working for him obviously.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, like in terms of, like I identifying talent and stuff. I know you've seen a lot of players come through and had your own sort of opinions on them and what their careers could be. I mean I've heard that, like, you know, when you were in Orlando and ninety eight, you you're like Dirk, Dirk, like, what was sort of like, you know, give me a little bit of texture in terms of like what your experience has been, because I know you had also seen Vince Carter or like Deer and Fox and seen something special but sort of described like for you, like what those experiences are like and seeing them and kind of immediately sort of trying to get your gears going and you're like, Okay, I see the weaknesses here, these are the strengths in the past. Nope, this will be good in a couple of years, or you know what, how does that? How does that work in your mind, especially after you know, being around so many really gift at people in the game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, you know, my role kind of in Orlando was John Gabriel was a general manager and Chuck Daly was the head coach, and it was kind of a bridge between because I had come from the minor leagues in the old CBA, so when we needed to, you know, call a player up, I was heavily involved in that stuff. But then Coach Daily had, you know, kind of because I was so young, I wanted to mentor me in evaluation and and and how to kind of go maybe potentially in that player personnel development role. And you know that particular draft, like John Gabriel sent me to watch Vince Carter playing Daytona Beach because he was from Daytona Beach and they played Bethune Cookman and I came back, and you know, my eval was that, you know, he was always grabbing a different body part. He looked like he was always hurt. You know, the particular game he got poked in the eye and went in the locker room for a brief moment. And then I look back all these years later and I'm like, you know, how dumb was my worst email ever.
Speaker 7: You know, I don't know, he didn't have much like his He didn't have a long career, did he he was yeah, yeah, yeah, But that.
Speaker 6: That same draft for Shard Lewis had come out, and part of my stuff was hanging out in the weight room when the when the strength coach tested him, and Mick Smith was our strength coach, and I just remember how little Rashard Lewis could bench press, you know that when I tried to report back to coach daily and then John Gabriel, I just you know, continually talked about, hey, I don't know how his body is going to withstand uh, NBA Force and NBA and then obviously another guy. But but I feel super lucky that I was part of remembering my opinion and how that opinion was wrong because I lacked experience, yeah, and I lacked the vision and looking long term. So I think it's really helped me at the collegiate level, looking back at some of the stuff that that I said about players when they were coming out of college.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, you weren't the only one, by the way, who had that year's draft wrong. Michael Olowa Candy went number one, like Bibby who was you know, all these things made sense at the time. Rafe LaFrentz maybe didn't make as much sense at the time.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: And then Anton Jamison, his own teammate, went before Vince Carter. I still remember that draft because my dad was an assistant for the Boston Celtics, and it was like peak me being like super bought into just whatever was going on, like you know, needling him for any extra information that he could get me. And he was like, there's this guy Dirk Noowitsky that like if we can, I think he might slide to us. They were at ten, and like he was just like all week all we care about. We're just like begging, like hoping that Navitzky slides to us, and he went one before he went number nine and there but Paul Pierce slid that year for no, for no good reason, like nobody has a good explanation for why he ended up at ten, and so they ended up with a you know, generational player anyways, But yeah.
Speaker 6: The Dirk story too, for that that I experienced, Jack was we did not know who Dirk was. About thirty days before the draft. We had not his name wasn't on the draft board. Word started circulating about three weeks before the draft, at least for our you know draft war room in Orlando, and then we tried to go over there. We tried to send different staff members over there, and and to my you know memory, you know, don Nelson just had him on lockdown. Like there was all types of stories about how how Dirt couldn't play, and I really truly think it was a lot of it was fabricated by the Dallas Mavericks and and Don Nelson. You know, one of the stories, you know, with the Timberwolves was in the inaugural year, Don Nelson had called my dad and told him how bad Tim Hardaway's knees were. And we drafted poor Richardson and he turned into a really good player for us. But obviously Tim Hardaway's a Hall of Famer and Tim Hardaway don Nelson Nelson who was telling my dad he had a bad meat. So you know, part of the game, never hear any never believe anything you hear in the draft room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, amazing, all right, we should take let's take a quick break. We'll come back. We'll get into uh, just kind of the different eras the conversation that started with Aunt, but that we like to talk about about whether basketball is progressive, Are the guys getting better? Is the game getting better?
Speaker 2: Be right back.
Speaker 3: And we're back and coach. This is something I think the first episode we talked about this idea that basketball kind of has this specific shape to it at least. This is my thinking that, like, you know, baseball, part of the appeal is that it's been the same game for a long enough time that like the stats are comparable and you know, basketball really like you can just look at games from ten years ago, fifteen years ago and like see a pronounced difference in how the game is played, and it seems like they're adding new skills, Like you can see the players getting better and or at least getting good in different ways. And so just curious to hear your thoughts on that, Like is that something that you kind of are keeping in mind or that gets you excited about the game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think so. I think, you know, I'm a big baseball fan. I think, like you know, when you look at baseball, I mean it's it's predominantly played in the United States in places like Dominican Republic in Venezuela, so it's kind of a smaller world participation right and what I believe has changed the NBA is the influx of the of the overseas coaching and players and the fundamentally sound players that have come over from outside the United States. The coaching right now, like if you're sitting in the USC's office and you want to try to come up with a new offensive scheme that's a little bit outside the box, more than likely you're turning on a FOBA game because there's body movement, there's player movement, there's there's five to six seven passes being made. There's three to four to five options instead of one or two options. I think the creativity of of of FOEBA basketball right now is as at a way way high level. I don't think the coaching is any necessarily better in the NBA than it than it has been in the past. I look at QB Brown and and and and your dad and his defensive reputation, and the Mike Bertello's and the Chucked and the pat Rileys. I don't necessarily think the coaching in the NBA is any better. I actually think the coaching has dipped in the n b A and and has slid a little bit compared to what it was. You know, the guys like Cotton fitz Simmons, those guys worked their way up and and were unbelievable X and O coaches and guys like Doug mo way ahead of their time. From a passing standpoint, George Carl, but I do think the European coaching and European players have changed the NBA and made the game better than it ever has been. And you do you know, nobody fifteen years ago would have thought player would have the shots selection of Steph Curry. So because of player development, because of you know, the work ethic, and guys solely focusing on one sport. When I grew up, you know, if you were a decent athlete, you played three sports, right, That does not happen anymore. Players going into their eighth grade a year pretty much have to commit to one sport. And that's another reason why I think you see better players than maybe what you've seen in the past.
Speaker 2: A lot of people I hear criticism a lot is like that.
Speaker 1: A lot of the players coming from overseas, there's so much emphasis on like teamwork and team play, where in the US it's become a lot more individualized, and you know, we're like in the business of really churning out stars rather than getting kids more familiar with playing like a team game. How do you look at that or or how do you like sort of balance the two or does do you see that as a deficit or more just that the emphasis is different and they sort of kind of blend together and they sort of compliment each other once these players are together, No.
Speaker 6: Miles, It's really interesting when I ask our players or recruits, Hey, who is your favorite NBA team? Almost nine out of ten guys say, oh, I don't have a team. I have a player. I like whoever Durant's playing on, or I like whatever team Kyrie's on. When I grew up, I mean, you were either a Laker fan or a Celtic fan.
Speaker 2: I mean, for the most part, for sure, sure.
Speaker 6: And I never almost never hear a player say, hey, I got this team. It's always hey, I like Miami when Lebron was there. I like the Cavs when Lebron's there. I like the Lakers now because Lebron that's a whole different mentality, you know. Then when I grew up, for sure, So I think that the star power has changed. I think even when you look at women's basketball, like the star power right now is really really prevalent in in the in the women's game, in the w n b A, and so I think it's just a different mentality of maybe what younger people feel about the game and how they're attached to two stars, you know. I mean, shoot, when I grew up, if if if a guy played on your favorite team and then he walked from for free agency or got traded, you.
Speaker 2: Didn't like to player at all, right, right, right, yeah, right, yeah, it was wrong with you. You never forgave him, yeah, of course, yeah, yeah, yeah, total yah.
Speaker 3: So one of the things that this is in the news lately because somebody who didn't do the one sport thing who actually was more of a football player, I think through high school, Anthony Edwards and then like kind of started coming around to basketball became one of the best players in the in the world. Was asked about players in the eighties and his quote starts out, I didn't watch it back in the day, so I can't speak on it, and that should have been the end of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, but confident guy, Yeah, he's like, what if I must answer.
Speaker 3: But then yeah, he kept on. They say it was tougher back then than it is now, But I don't think anybody had skill back then. Michael Jordan was the only one that really had skill, you know what I mean. So that's why when they saw Kobe they were like, oh my gosh, now everybody has skill. It really feels like my six year old trying to like having watched three YouTube videos, like trying to come up with an explanation of like thirty years the best. Well, so they saw this guy and then this other guy who also has a lot of highlights. Everyone was like, wow, he's.
Speaker 2: Also then that guy dunked really good in that one clip.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh to Magic Johnson, who I'm just hearing about now in this story but apparently also a good player now. Magic in response, I never respond to a guy who's never won a championship. He didn't win a college championship. I don't even think he won a high school championship. So he's gotten a little snippy, Yeah I do. I don't know, like this seems like it takes it too far in the other direction of Blake. It's nobody was good back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But then then Kevin Garnett on his show of Paul Pierce, Like Kevin Garnett was like, He's like, I don't think these kids could have even lasted twenty years ago. Felt like, again, I know the I'm like, I have great love for the nineties, eighties and two thousand, so I understand the pain to hear someone say Michael Jordan was the only player with skill.
Speaker 2: But that felt like a bit of like a overreaction to that response.
Speaker 1: He kept saying like, you can't hit no triple step back three like anymore now, And sure, that's one thing we're talking about, But to say that they couldn't last, I don't know. I think they would adapt if that's how the game is being played. I guess two parts. Do you just look at that as like sort of like the hubris and confidence of a young player like Anthony Edwards, like obviously he's starting off acknowledging his ignorance there, but also as someone who has coached young young people who are getting in the game, how much emphasis do you put on people understanding the foundations of the game and how the game has been played, or do you kind of think it's not as relevant to how we're playing now.
Speaker 6: Well, to answer the second part, I think for sure it's relevant. I think that young players should watch Magic Johnson and see his vision, see his willingness to be a passer, see his willingness to make teammates better. I mean, he's probably one of the greatest teammates, maybe the greatest teammate ever, because I mean you saw in that Philadelphia series when Kareem couldn't play and Magic went and played the five spot and was shooting hook shots. I mean, how many guys could ever play the one in the five in the same championship round. It just doesn't happen. But he could do it. He's probably the only player in the history of the game that could play the one one night and then go play the five and be equally effective. But I do think there's some brilliance in Anthony Edwards too, Like he must watch TV in an interview because you never know what he's gonna say. Sure, yeah, And so there is beauty in the fact that he can bring attention with some of his you know comments and you know, cause discussion points. But look, when I look back at game planning, you know, when you had the game plan for Charles Barkley. That's about as heart a guy as ever. The game plan. Yeah, mid post draw fouls, six foot four, but built like a linebacker, like could draw a rethrow attempt as well as anybody in today's game. So I think that all the young player should really sit down. There should almost be like a history class, right for every college player where they take a class, you know, once a week for an hour where you go back and you look at, you know, how did Carl Malone improve as a free throw shooter? Like that thing is that story on his free throw percentage increase is a phenomenal story. So I think that you got to know the history of the game because I think it's it's the only way to learn. It's the only way to to try to get you know, little nuggets that can help you improve as well.
Speaker 3: I mean, part of I think aunts appeal also is that he brings a sort of new to this earth point of view, Like that one interview where you like heard an Irish accent for the first time, it was like, oh, that's.
Speaker 2: Kind of cool. Yeah, like that kind of like that so from Iron, Yeah, So that's.
Speaker 3: What that His description of NBA history seemed like to me. Is like someone who just found out about that there wasn't an NBA in the eighties and nineties and.
Speaker 2: It wasn't just Michael Jordan playing himself the whole time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's like, huh.
Speaker 1: Okay, I saw the documentary Space Jam and I was intrigued, so I wanted to learn more after that. But yeah, but I mean I think that's kind of like what makes the comment obviously not like feel like too antagonistic or anything, because he does start off, admittedly just saying like, hey, I didn't watch, so I can't so what I'm about to say, don't bother.
Speaker 2: Taking it seriously because the world were text.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's just funny even to do that, like you say, and then still give the answer and then everyone's like it comes out with their pitchforks. But like, as you talk about history for you, we've been talking about sort of some older players that you know, we have like listeners that span many generations in terms of fandom. A lot of younger fans, you know, some like to get into highlights and look at old tape and see how like the players of Yesterdyear played, But who are like some people that you feel like you would you would emphasize to your players, who are you kind of.
Speaker 2: Like does everybody know about this player?
Speaker 1: Does everybody know about this person's game or the evolution they had with their game? Like who are some people like that? Do you feel as somebody who's leading younger players? Like who are those sort of important players that you'd want them to be familiar with?
Speaker 6: I mean I think when I, you know, you look at the point guard screening of John Stockton, like you know, I think point guards need to look at a tape of John Stockton and see how physical he was at setting screens. Obviously we all know about the assist with Stockton, you know. I think when you look at off guards, you could think about like Rip Hamilton running off of screens and the pace that he used to come off as screens. I think, you know, when you when you think about small forwards like Dominic Wilkins, everybody talks about the human highlight reel, but in reality, guys like Dominic Wilkins, Bernard King, those guys were great small forward rebounders. You know, Yeah, you could rebound your position and then you had a small forward like those guys that could arrange rebound rebound outside their area. So I think there's a you know, Carl Malone's pick and roll game, understanding when to roll, understanding when to pop, understanding how to draw fouls at that power forward spot. And then certainly, you know, if you're a big guy, you know, if you watch Bill Walton's passing and his vision and his full court passing, or Wes Unsell and his outlet passing, or even his inbound passes after a made basket, and then you know, I'm surprised that more guys that are six ten, six eleven seven foot have not tried to, you know, emulate Kareem Abdul Jabbar with this hookshot. So I think there's a lot of guys that's just off the top of my head. If you're a if you're a player that's being moved to the point guard position, you have size, certainly you should watch the way that Magic Johnson would get his team into offense where he might have to play with his back to his rim because of his size, but he could look over his shoulder and find people. I know that you know, we did that with Cody Martin a little bit where where where we've tried to convert him from a four to a point guard and Magic Johnson clips were something that we felt were important.
Speaker 3: Oh that's cool, all right, coach, let's take one more break. We'll come back, and you are in for the rapid fire round of questions, the fastest question answer segment in the history of this podcast. So we'll take a quick break. We'll be right back, getting your triple threat position, because it's gonna be yeah.
Speaker 5: Deny, deny, den't I deny, and we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 6: Us.
Speaker 1: You know they're gonna say, I'm really enjoying this because you're the head coach of SC men's basketball. But really, the hot seat is for everyone. It doesn't discriminate, and it's hot for everybody. This is the fastest question answer segment off podcasting history, at least on this podcast history.
Speaker 2: Where we're gonna ask you a question. Just just take us quick second to think about it. Just chest pass it right back, fire right back.
Speaker 1: Don't give too long of an answer, because we want to keep our title of the fastest question and answer segment off podcasting history. And if you take too long, we will be rude to you. And I just want to warn you that that that's just that's the caveat I want to enter with. So there's no hurt feelings or surprises because we take our superlative title very seriously.
Speaker 3: That we gave ourselves.
Speaker 1: That we gave ourselves. Obviously there's an asterisk by that, but don't read the fine print.
Speaker 2: Uh, Jackie ready? Yeah, coach mus you ready?
Speaker 6: Yep? Let's do it, all right, ran start the clock.
Speaker 2: This is the fastest segment of all time. Should should we? Who's going to go first? You should? I could go first?
Speaker 3: I think first one? All right, go Chris Thomas h Are you familiar with the concept of nominative determinism, where a person's name determines what they do for a living, Examples being Hussein Bolt becoming a sprinter. Doug Bowser is the name of the person who is the head of Nintendo America, or somebody who works in a gym and in sports with the last name muscleman. Has that ever come up?
Speaker 6: That has never come up?
Speaker 3: Okay, No, we just made history.
Speaker 2: Been your life?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's history?
Speaker 2: All right? Okay.
Speaker 3: I mean you're kind of shredded and you've got dumbbells on your shirt right there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah. In the gym.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw you in Nevada. I saw that clip of you on a on a treadmill highlighting while running.
Speaker 3: I was like this, Yeah, how do you do that?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I still do it. I go six miles every day with the highlighter and print articles before I leave for work, and then highlight them the next morning, and then the staff all gets the cliff notes of leadership articles, coaching articles. I do it every day.
Speaker 2: Oh amazing.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, you're hertridges running through a moment. Yeah, you're regular at Staples, aren't you.
Speaker 2: Coach bus is back just load up his toner.
Speaker 6: The Atlanta Hawks stan cast and actually called me into the office and told me stop printing and if I printed a article that was in color, I had to use black and white. That was Lanta Hawk's president at the time.
Speaker 2: Wow wow, wow wow.
Speaker 1: Now the president of the Dodgers. Uh yeah, what a guy. Okay, next question. This is something we've been talking. We've been talking about.
Speaker 2: Players of yesteryear.
Speaker 1: But I'm just curious, even though we wrapped up our nineties nostalgia series, we want to play a game of would he be even better now in this era? And I'll give you three players, and you kind of give me your thoughts if, if if they ended up in our current era.
Speaker 2: Amari Stodemeyer, Andre Kirolinko and lamar Odom.
Speaker 1: How do you see what you look at those two players, who do you feel would really thrive in our current era?
Speaker 6: Lamar odhim, I think he was one of the first positionless players, a guy that could play three, four to two if need be, could play a little bit of point forward. So I would say, Odim, that's pretty easy.
Speaker 2: Okay, Wow, I agreement that was the right answer. That was the right answer.
Speaker 3: That was but I you didn't need to make fun of us for how easy it was. All Right, that's the easiest question I've ever been asked. That's actually I answered that with my eyes closed. Do you is there a player other than those three that sticks in your mind? Like you mentioned Barkley being really hard to game plan four, But is there a player that you're like, God, if he had come along twenty years later, he would have been incredible.
Speaker 6: Doctor J. Yeah, he was just like he could play in any era. And I think about social media now and how every highlight gets exemplified and put out. The Doctor J would make a lot of money. When you think about his personality, when you think about how artistic his game was.
Speaker 3: That his name was doctor j It's pretty cool. The dopest name ever.
Speaker 1: I remember as a kid, I thought he was an actual doctor, like when I first heard of him, and well, but I was like, but don't you go to college for like four years and then you go to the NBA. But then he became a doctor And my dad was like he had just never told me. He's like, yeah, but he's a doctor.
Speaker 3: H And I'm impressive.
Speaker 2: I embarrassed myself in fifth grade. Pretty bad, coach Musk.
Speaker 1: From your perspective, you know, looking at this upcoming NBA season, who do you see as kind of like a dark horse team, like someone we're not talking about, but as you've seen some bit of progression, you feel like, Okay, this is.
Speaker 2: A team that I think, you know is going to make some noise.
Speaker 6: You know, we're so I'm so immersed in the in the college game. I mean I do like so, you know, like Timberwolves are, in my mind, are a team that if they remain healthy, if their coach can remain healthy.
Speaker 3: As well, Uh, I get taken out.
Speaker 6: I like what Minnesota has, you know, with the size and and and a superstar player and a team that continues or organization that continues uh to get better and better. And and you know for me, I you know, I like watching the Utah Jazz play just uh from a studying a younger roster with a younger coach that runs really really good stuff. So that's a team that I like to watch. And then Oklahoma City is another team that that I love to watch, another really good young coach with some really great young pieces. Actually have two of our Arkansas guys. So you know, I'm a big Thunder fan. And and uh and I think I think the Thunder and t Wolves both can make noise this year.
Speaker 3: Wow, word for word again, you got it exactly right. The answer is looking at our note, I think he might be copying off of me, off my answer sheet. We'll coach Muscleman. What a pleasure having you on Miles and Jack got mad Booth. Yes, uh, congratulations and looking forward to seeing what the what the Trojans do this year here in southern California. Where can people find you? Follow you? You know all of that stuff?
Speaker 6: Yeah on Twitter, it's just DP Muscleman and we're pretty active on social media. I know it's a little bit outside of the way I was raised with, you know, coming much like you did, Jack, when you know, your dad was pretty old school, so was my dad, but you got to change with the times, and so I'm pretty active on social media, at least I try to be for recruiting. But hey, it's been great joining you guys. I appreciate it. Jack, Miles, thanks so much for.
Speaker 2: Having me on Oh yeah, thanks man.
Speaker 1: All right, well, you can follow us at the hashtag mad boost He's beat A S t i e Y for show links and updates, and you can join the conversation on our discord server, and you can follow me on Twitter at Miles of Great.
Speaker 3: I'm at Jack Underscore O'Brien.
Speaker 1: And that was another splendid edition of Miles and Jack dot Mad Boosties with Coach where Musselman thank you so much for joining us again and we'll see you next week.
Speaker 3: Bye bye,