Speaker 1: Thanks for coming over to play, Billy and Lisa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, here comes Elliott.
Speaker 3: Hi everyone, I just learned about a super special music guy and he housed the coolest name. What's his name, Quincy Jils, Quincy Jones, Quincy Jones.
Speaker 2: Yep, how'd you learn about him?
Speaker 4: Well, it all started when I filmed this big black circle thingy.
Speaker 5: That really is a big black circle thingy and it's a little shiny.
Speaker 1: I know. I've seen those at my grandma's house.
Speaker 6: She has a.
Speaker 1: Bunch of black circle thingies.
Speaker 6: Let me check that out.
Speaker 1: It's hard like plastic and it's about the size of my tubby.
Speaker 2: Must be a frisbee. Don't here, No, this is not a frisbee.
Speaker 5: Then I really don't know what this flat black circle thing he is. Welcome to Stories for Kids by Lingo Kids, where we discover fascinating facts about the world around us and the fun of play learning.
Speaker 7: These days, people often listen to music.
Speaker 5: On a phone or computer, But did you know there used to be other ways to listen to music.
Speaker 7: Do you have any idea what that black circle.
Speaker 5: Thing was and what does it have to do with Elliott's musician, Quincy Jones.
Speaker 7: Let's find out.
Speaker 5: So the frisbee looking thing is not a frisbee, then what is it?
Speaker 4: Well, it's kind of a music holder. Huh, Like there are songs in it?
Speaker 2: Oh, let's shake them out out. I don't hear any songs.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna look at that black circle thing.
Speaker 5: Hmmm.
Speaker 1: When I peak closely, I can see little tiny grooves in the black circle thingy ooh, maybe the music falls into the grooves.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's it.
Speaker 5: Billy says, it's a record and you need a record player to hear the songs. It's an old way to listen to music. Oh, well, I don't like old music anyways.
Speaker 2: But you haven't even listened yet.
Speaker 6: Not my thing.
Speaker 2: Well, I want to know what the old.
Speaker 1: Guy Quincy Jones's music is like.
Speaker 4: Well, he played trumpet, but he also helped many other musicians, helped them.
Speaker 2: How did he do that?
Speaker 6: I'm not really sure.
Speaker 5: Billy says he helped by being a musical genius.
Speaker 2: He was a musical genius.
Speaker 5: I think what Billy is trying to say is that Quincy had a real sense for music. He was skilled at choosing great tunes. He knew which instruments to use and how to play and sing the songs to get the mood just right. He helped musicians decide the way to play their music. I never thought about the way to play music or the mood.
Speaker 6: And there's a real job for that. The job is called it's called well, I don't know what it's called.
Speaker 7: A producer, that's right.
Speaker 5: Billy Quincy Jones was a very famous producer.
Speaker 1: Producer.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 5: Jones was such a good producer that he won many awards. He was the first black person to be nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song in a Movie. That sounds important it was. He also produced the most popular album.
Speaker 7: Ever, Yes, Billy.
Speaker 5: An album is a collection of songs and they used to come on records, just like the record Elliott found on.
Speaker 7: That popular album, which is called Thriller.
Speaker 5: Quincy Jones' job was I know, he was the producer, that's right. He knew how to talk to people, help them feel comfortable and work together. I like that. One time he brought together a huge group of forty six very famous musicians. They sang a song called We Are the World. And even though they liked different music and came from different backgrounds, Quincy Jones helps them all feel comfortable and make a beautiful song together.
Speaker 2: Wow, what a cool guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I really wish we could listen to this black circle thing, I mean record.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's this dusty box thing?
Speaker 7: That's a record player?
Speaker 1: We can play Elliott's record.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'll help you do it. Just put the record onto the record player.
Speaker 6: Hey, why don't we try to do what Quincy did? What make a beautiful song together? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh, this will be fun, Philly Usta.
Speaker 1: If you're happy and you know what, capter hiss it HAPPI and you know I.
Speaker 2: Clap your hands. If you're happy and you know it and you really want the show it. If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands.
Speaker 5: Lingo kids listeners, thanks for joining in to learn about the musical genius Quincy Jones. We learned about his job as a musical producer and how he was special because he brought people together and helped musicians make their songs great.
Speaker 7: We also talked about old music. Have you ever tried listening to music from a different time or a different place? Did you like it? Let us know what your favorite song.
Speaker 5: Is by sending us an email, and if you feel like singing along. Send that to us as well to podcast at lingo kids dot com.