Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He's a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 1: Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This is Girls Talk Boys Talk presented by Jigsaw Dating, preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys, and broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters at the Star.
Speaker 3: Welcome into another off season edition of Girls Talk Boys Talk presented by jigsa the preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys. Haley Suddon, Aisha Morrison, and Jess Navarrez with you all.
Speaker 1: Of us back in the studio today. We're hanging out. Life is good.
Speaker 3: A lot of changes for this Cowboys organization that we've kind of been charting the last couple of weeks, but it seems like some things are finally coming into fruition here for the team. So we're going to talk a little bit about some of the coaching additions and some coaches have recently got some promotions and that kind of thing, so we'll talk about that. But the first thing I want to start with is this Kicker drama. It is very apparent and Jerry Jones actually told reporters that they were starting from scratch when it came to the kicking position. We all know the way this season ended for Brett Maher not so much on a high note there. The Cowboys have since taken matters into their own hands. They have signed Tristan Viscaino. They signed him late last night. We will see if he makes it through training camp. I believe this is his second time going through this process, but as of right now, he has been signed to the roster. A couple of things before we open this up for conversation now, he was signed to the practice squad earlier this year. Whenever Brett first had those issues, We watched him at practice a little bit and he wasn't incredibly.
Speaker 1: Impressive during the time that we watched.
Speaker 3: Obviously, we get limited sessions, so he could have obviously turned it up after that and in the week's prior. But it'll be interesting to see, you know, is he a permanent fixture. Is this they're putting their eggs in his basket or they bringing him in as kind of a competitor piece. So he'll be an interesting guy to follow throughout this offseason and then into training camp. But a couple of things on Tristan. He was signed to the practice squad as I mentioned he was kicking for the Patriots last year. He was two of two in his field goals three of three on Pats in Arizona prior to that, and then before that, he's kind of been bouncing around the league. He was with the Chargers for six games in twenty twenty one. I had a really good season with the forty nine Ers back in twenty twenty, so he has the ability to kick.
Speaker 1: But we will see, ladies. This obviously means.
Speaker 3: That the Cowboys are pretty much out on Brett Maher.
Speaker 1: Are we happy about that?
Speaker 3: Give me your initial thoughts on no more money Maher in Dallas?
Speaker 4: Go ahead. I noticed.
Speaker 5: It's my bread and butter.
Speaker 6: You know, I'm so on the fence about this because I was really impressed with the season overall that Brett Maher had. But again, it is excusable the way things kind of ended for him.
Speaker 5: So I do.
Speaker 6: Understand the reason in wanting to, you know, maybe move on.
Speaker 5: I guess it's just it makes me so nervous.
Speaker 6: It really does, because you look back to last season and training camp and how all of this really came to be, and it's funny how things shifted.
Speaker 5: Because correct me, if I'm wrong.
Speaker 6: But Tristan was one of the candidates vying for that kicking position back in training camp and it was a mess.
Speaker 3: I remember the kicking situation was a mess. I love being in Miami and just watching it from AFAR and being.
Speaker 6: Like, yeah, all of the tweets coming out, all of the videos of I mean, there were balls going to the side and the trees and the stands, like nothing was going through where I needed to go through.
Speaker 5: So it makes me nervous.
Speaker 6: It really makes me nervous because what I've heard of Tristan is exactly what you said. It's not the best, it's not, you know, maybe the most impressive, but light at the end of the tunnel guys and some silver lining. We were saying that about Brett ma Her last year.
Speaker 5: During training camp.
Speaker 6: Was Hey, this guy gives us a little bit of trauma coming back up because of how he left the first time and then look at this season he had. So I have nothing but faith in the special teams coaching to maybe coach this guy up a little.
Speaker 5: Bit and where he needs to. So I'm torn.
Speaker 7: No, I agree to like they at least they're starting kind of early, you know, as far as like trying to figure it out and bringing someone in here that has some experience. Like you said, you like, I don't know if he, Haley, I don't know if he is a permanent guy, but he is a gentleman that has some experience that is gonna push whoever is whoever else is gonna be in competition. So this this, this camp will on this training style, training stuff, this coaching staff. Last year, they really like competition from other positions. So maybe it's just like, let's bring a guy in here that experience, that has competition. And it's weird because when you read his numbers and you go look at his numbers, you say, oh, this guy's he's been efficient, Like he's been efficient in a few times he's kicked, but how obviously you ask the question of how is he going to be over a prolonged period of time.
Speaker 4: So interesting to say the least. I'm just again, like you mentioned, we didn't know that.
Speaker 7: Kicking was We knew it was an issue, but we didn't know it was that bad until camp. Yeah, so at least now they're trying to get someone in here and kind of get something established beforehand.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's where I'm at with it.
Speaker 3: It's just one of those things where it's like, dang, you know, because kicking. I've always said this, kicking is like the one position I think on the field that is unforgivable, yes, right, And I think really close second to that is the cornerback or the secondary because you know, like you're set up for failure in those situations. But when it comes to being a kicker, you don't get the chances that a lot of these other positions have. You know, like think about where Jerry was whenever Brett first missed that kick against Washington, right, Like, Jerry already was like, hey, man, like, what we're not going to do is this?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I wish you would say that line exactly.
Speaker 5: I would love to hear, you know, say.
Speaker 3: Like he was already feeling it after one miskick. And when you think about what Brett did for this team, I mean I was looking at his numbers last night. He was ninety point six percent made field goals in twenty twenty two, ninety four point three percent.
Speaker 1: Of those pats.
Speaker 3: And I'd like to know, you know, the numbers even before the last three games of the season.
Speaker 1: I imagined it was up there ninety five percent, you know, or higher.
Speaker 3: So it's just tricky when you think about, you know, the work he put in. I remember when he was sitting down with us on the radio show that I'm now Cowboys Hour.
Speaker 1: I was like, what was that show called? It's been so long since we did it.
Speaker 3: But when he sat down with us on Cowboys Hour, with me and Brad Sham and we were we were talking with him and just the level of intensity that he was at then, you know, he was talking about how, you know, this was an exciting part of his career. He was trying to figure out, you know, from a family perspective, you know, because his family doesn't live here right now, because you know, its temporary, you know, so he's trying to figure out, like, is my family going to move here? Like am I finally in a place where you know, I'm I'm gonna be a Dallas cowboy for a while. So it's really frustrating just from that frame of mind to see where he was three months ago even and now when you think about he's back job hunting and listen, I don't think he'll be you know, for lack of a better term, unemployed for very long. I think there's a lot of teams in the league that need good kickers. Brett is a good kicker, so he'll get picked up and maybe he gets resigned again. You know, there's still plenty of time to bring him back. He's one of those free agents on that lengthy list.
Speaker 1: So that's really interesting. I also thought this was interesting too.
Speaker 3: This is the second straight season where the Cowboys have cut ties with a kicker after one year. They did it the year before with Greg Zerline after he missed six pats and six field goals.
Speaker 1: Oh that is egregious. So I can't believe Greg.
Speaker 6: Greg the leg And I did want to correct myself because I was going back to look in my notes. It was Jonathan Gary Bay and the ram Hira Lahu that they had in training camp last season, and then Brett Maher came in and everyone goes, oh no, the world kind of stopped for a second when whenever every all Cowboys nation found that out.
Speaker 5: But I was glad that Brett was able.
Speaker 6: To turn that that view of himself around throughout the season.
Speaker 5: But I'm so torn about this.
Speaker 6: Because makes you look at the you look at the start of the season and Brett Maher's leg was the reason really the Cowboys were able to win, especially when Cooper Rush was first coming in to be adjusted to the offense and then Dak was out. So it's it's just it really is not fair to discredit the success he had because of how things ended. But I do understandably get why they would be quick to be like, Okay, you're out.
Speaker 5: You you didn't do it when it mattered the most. And I get that. I get both sides.
Speaker 4: A flu Sorry, it's such a fluid thing.
Speaker 7: GEK, Like we're gonna look, we're gonna look at so many guys and be like he got signed again, Like I mean, or you're gonna look at some some guys in the league right now that have been playing for a while. I think there's a couple of guys that have been here for a minute though, that exactly that are gonna be free agents, and you're they might get picked up even after.
Speaker 4: Having not not such gray seats.
Speaker 7: It's such a like I said, it's like a fluid thing to where a lot of teams are like, well, I can just go find somewhere, I can go find one somewhere else. But at the same time, it's like it's so important, so how can you? But I just think that's how the position's kind of been handled. And it's kind of like what you say for me one time, shame on you for me too, Like it's it's it's the thing. What happened with Brett is similar to like the Cowboys saw it the year before, Like, well not the year before, but a couple years ago. It was like, he's great, but then you get those extra points and it's like he's he's just cocking it and.
Speaker 4: He's just like, what are you doing? Like it's so weird.
Speaker 7: It's so weird how it happened for him, And I do agree that it's I don't know, a bittersweeten the sense of like, dang, he has such a good season and to finish it like that and that just be it is is disappointing, But I guess it's just a part of the game.
Speaker 3: Because that's that's what everyone's gonna think of him as, right, Like, nobody's gonna remember the fact that he banged out back to back sixty yarders against the Vikings at halftime to put that game pretty much to bed.
Speaker 1: You know, no one's going to talk about the fact that he was a.
Speaker 3: Perfect for for four I believe it was against Washington and helping up the Cowboys beat the Commanders in that you know, second game with.
Speaker 5: Cooper or nine of eleven from fifty yards or more.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like basically being one of the best kickers and Cowboys franchise.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and then he won since the game, like, yeah, it wasn't it. It wasn't a lesson and so he Yeah, he was.
Speaker 4: A huge part. But that's another thing too, is like I I don't I don't.
Speaker 7: I don't know how it is in a locker room too much, but I do understand, like you also don't want the team to lose confidence in the kicker also too, because there were instances at the end you're like, go for two, go for two, And that's a that's a tough situation to be in as an offensive player.
Speaker 4: You go all the way down the field, you need points.
Speaker 7: Then your kicker like to stay grounded and he's gonna make it next time, he's gonna make it, and then he's not making it the next time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's panic that sits in for an offense. I'm sure.
Speaker 7: So it's it's like Actress bones Fossil actually one of the guys is actually returning. Crazy, Yeah you look crazy, you know you look crazy, but he's returning this year.
Speaker 4: So yeah, kicker is.
Speaker 7: One of my things I'm really looking at in camp because it can make or break your team in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Clearly, yeah, clearly there was a little bit of optimism. And this is why I say I don't see him having any issues getting resigned somewhere else, because you know, the extra points were the issue. It wasn't the field goals, right, He wasn't missing field goals. He was missing extra points. So I think the silver lining in that is at least in that San Francisco game, you saw that extra point hooking left. Regardless of him who got blocked or not, that was not it wasn't going in. Yeah, but the field goals were going in. And if I'm weighing, if I'm weighing here, this is a guy where he's going to spend all of off season, I imagine kicking nothing but extra points, getting you know, mentally right in that aspect, and at least he's not having to worry about the missed field goals.
Speaker 1: So positive for him there.
Speaker 3: We obviously wish brat nothing but the best if he's back at some point. You know, obviously we'll cross operates when we get there, but just some interesting things going on before we get into the coaching.
Speaker 1: I think we're going to do that in the second block.
Speaker 3: But I want to ask you, ladies, obviously that kind of feels like a dramatic move almost for a guy who was such a contributor on offense and he's not returning. Where are some other positions you maybe see on this team where you can kind of go, Like, personally, I don't want him to go, but maybe for the good of the team, we maybe need to do some evaluating.
Speaker 1: Oh god, I know this's tough question. I can talk about it first if y'all want me to.
Speaker 3: But I just think that there's kind of been seeing I was watching yesterday how the Titans were kind of operating right, and the Titans are letting go of a lot of veteran guys that I'm looking at contributors.
Speaker 5: I know, like a free agency is how many days March fifteenth.
Speaker 3: But the Titans are an organization where you know, they cleaned house, they got rid of their GM earlier in the year after they got smoked by what's his name? AJ from the Eagles. I always get him in AJ Green and AJ Brown mixed up, but A J. Brown had the Titans in a tail spin when the Eagles played them back mid season. They got rid of their GM after that game. Now they're clearing house, getting rid of veteran offensive linemen. They released Robert Woods obviously, but to me, that's kind of signs of like they're serious about getting better. And sometimes I think that's why I don't envy being in the front office, because I'm not the one that's having to make those emotional decisions. And I think that there's a couple of guys on this roster here that emotionally I don't want to see them go right, But maybe for the good of the team and looking forward to what you need to get to that championship level, you've got to make those decisions.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, I mean I guess you say, like can you get can you get better at that position?
Speaker 4: Like can you get better at certain positions? And so I don't know I was going to ask you.
Speaker 7: You know, since you you know, your man's like a Miami Covers guy and everything.
Speaker 4: Listen, listen, put yourself together too early? Anymore. It is. But I've just been seeing a little bit of.
Speaker 7: The conversation about Byron Jones possibly being somebody that's gonna be a casualty or cap casualty.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 7: From the Dolphins he's dealt with, you know, some hip injuries and some injuries lately or whatever. However, is he still an upgrade to you know, maybe your cornerback three year, your cornerback two, or just a depth piece that you can bring in. That's and I always me personally, I truly wanted to see him with this coaching regime, with this with this Cowboys, yes, okay, with the Cowboys defensive coaching regime, with Al Harris, with the Joey Junior, with the with the gentlemen that were brought in after pretty.
Speaker 4: Much after he he was he was gone.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I would like to see how he plays with them. And then you brought up the Titans, like my guy sky Walker Steele a shout out to him, a easy sports. He brought up David Long Junior that plays for the Titans. Linebacker Anthony Barr felt like what he did here was Admiral Bull is helpful, But at the same time we saw very clearly that in coverage that people took.
Speaker 4: Advantage of that spot.
Speaker 7: And also too, you want to upgrade at the linebacker position because it allows Micah to be free and do what he wants to do. Late Vander USh is a guy that we are very confident and he played well, But can you.
Speaker 4: Get better there?
Speaker 7: Can you get I mean, because the Cowboys could sign him back, obviously can He's familiar with the system and everything.
Speaker 4: But you know, if you can get better there, let's do it. Let's you know, let's do it. So I'm those are the two spots.
Speaker 5: I guess.
Speaker 4: I'm like, maybe you can continued to upgrade.
Speaker 7: I haven't seen a lot of offensive linemen, but that would be nice.
Speaker 1: Cool. Yeah, Yeah, let's go ahead and take our first break.
Speaker 3: When we come back, we'll continue this conversation and we will get into some of the coaching changes that we have here on Girls Talk, Boys Talk.
Speaker 1: Will right back at Jigsaw Dating.
Speaker 8: We obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth ring home, but to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who will put a ring on your finger. That's why we a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation. So you can date deeper, because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating Today, dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: All right, Pepsi loving football fans, it's time we had a lesson in trash talk. And I'm not talking about that stuff that happens on the field. What I'm talking about is trash, and it's the only thing that belongs in your garbage can.
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 9: Recycling might not be his thrilling as converting up fourth and long, But next time you're thinking about throwing that Pepsi zero sugar bottle away, just cap it back up and pretend you're down by six with a recycling bin wide open. Know the difference, make a difference, be a team player, and recycle. Visit Pepsi trash talk dot com to learn more.
Speaker 10: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: And they schnappered a fresh dout who looks white. It's not there. He escapes left, he'll look full push down.
Speaker 10: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 9: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 10: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 3: Back Two Girls Talkboys Talk presented by Jigsaw, the preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys, Haley Sutton, Aisha Morrison and Jess Navarrez.
Speaker 1: Who's got some info for us?
Speaker 6: We'll get ready for the twenty twenty three Dallas Cowboys Rhythm and Blues Auditions with the DCRB Rhythm and Blues Prep Class Every Monday night at Next Step Dance at the Start in Firstco from eight to nine pm.
Speaker 5: Learn proper stretching.
Speaker 6: Technique, choreography, drills and tips from DCRB director and dancers. More on Instagram at DC Rhythm or Blue or Dallascowboys dot com slash d c RB for more info.
Speaker 1: I love them.
Speaker 3: I love going to the Cowboys games and watching them perform and how they just dance and dance and dance for like a million, a million minutes. Yeah, yeah, I'm like, hey, like I wish my mom and dad would put me in dance growing up.
Speaker 6: I have so much admiration for Rhythm and Blues and then of course DCC, just because that was my life growing up with dance and it was like a dream of mine almost to be part of those teams, but just watching them as I was in dance and just knowing how hard that is to know that much choreography and to perform in front of that many people to make it look easy. And that's how you know they're good when it looks easy, because it is not, and it is a sport.
Speaker 5: Anyone who says it is not.
Speaker 4: Let them know.
Speaker 5: Oh I will, I will have a debate about that.
Speaker 1: Well it's not because we've got no right here, not right here.
Speaker 5: But if anybody ever wants to, let me know.
Speaker 3: So we were talking a lot about the kicking situation, a lot of changes coming to this organization. Of course, those changes started right after the Cowboys lost to the forty nine Ers. They made six coaching changes before eventually seven with Kellen Moore leaving for the Chargers.
Speaker 1: So a lot of changes that.
Speaker 3: Have gone around, and the Cowboys have kind of started finalizing that list. They have added a couple of new guys on Wednesday that were promoted, so Scott Tolzien, he was moved from offensive assistant to the new quarterbacks coach Jeff Blasco who was the offensive line assistant coach. He is now the running backs coach, which, by the way, the old running backs coach Get Pete was hired in Tampa, so good for him. Coach Pete was always good to us. And then Canon Matthews got promoted to assistant defensive back coach. He was doing some quality control on defense. So just some promotions going on. There a lot of still moving and shaking. I think there'll probably be a couple more HighRes before the end of the week, and then we will get a chance to hear from Mike McCarthy for the first time next week at the NFL Combine. But for the changes that are happening, you know right now, and we've talked about this on the show before, it really feels like this is a Cowboys organization that is ready to get past the hump we've talked about in seasons past where it's kind of been a lot of talk and not a lot of action on the back end. But I feel like Jerry knows that that he has something really special here and he's got to do what it takes to get them to.
Speaker 1: That next level.
Speaker 3: So I kind of just want to talk about some of the coaches who have been promoted, if there's any guys that stand out to y'all or your thoughts just on I know you mentioned earlier how they're starting early. You know, what does this kind of how does this kind of impact the off season with them getting to work so quickly.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean it's when you go ahead and get the coach and stuff in here. This is similar to it's kind of similar to when Mike McCarthy, Dan Quinn, those guys came in that offseason. It was early, like it was far before the draft, it was. And that's partially because that allows these guys to get in here. And these are gentlemen that are familiar to Mike McCarthy as well, so these are some of his gentlemen. But they can come in here and they can establish like, Okay, so what's our identity?
Speaker 4: Were gonna be what are we going to do?
Speaker 7: And that, in turn, to me, is gonna trickle down to setting expectations of what who's doing what you know.
Speaker 4: I think Mike McCarthy talked about delegating to.
Speaker 7: You before, and I just think it's important for the team but also for well for the coaches, but for the team the players as well, to kind of know what the expectation is and going into the draft having your staff together, I think it is power in my opinion. I think it really is power. Not trying to play catch up after the fact. Guys know what their jobs are and what you're going to be looking for. How that can impact how you draft, so you're drafting the right guys for your locker room. And so even with like the most exciting thing for me, and it maybe not super exciting, but Blasco is it?
Speaker 4: How do you say his first name, Jeff Blasco?
Speaker 7: Just there being a run game coordinator, like there being a somebody that is like we're solely granted, like Joe Filman was the on line coach, but this guy has, you know, insight on like how we're going to run the ball. And we've seen with Mike McCarthy, I think he did work with Mike McCarthy Blascow before.
Speaker 1: All three of those guys were guys that were with Yeah, so.
Speaker 7: There's familiarity there with him, and he's getting guys in here that he's comfortable with. I don't know nothing about Scott told me, like most of us have been trying, Like I know he was a former player, but we don't really know what to I don't know what to expect there. But the blasco thing, him being an actual run game coordinator and a running back coach is interesting to me because I know that the emphasis of running the ball and running it well is important to this team moving forward. So yeah, I'm interested in what's gonna happen with these shindlemen being here.
Speaker 6: I like the idea of this Mike McCarthy culture spreading. Haley and I were talking about how our windshields are cracked and how when when.
Speaker 4: It started to get out.
Speaker 6: Oh my goodness, girl, that rock that it was a rock and you know, I'll tell you later.
Speaker 5: But the point.
Speaker 6: Is is when you see this coaching reign of Mike McCarthy starting to spread quickly throughout really this building, I think what it does for really everybody has created this Mike McCarthy culture, which you saw more of last year and you've seen on the up and up since he came in twenty twenty, which was a very weird year.
Speaker 5: We all know that you.
Speaker 6: Can't really start your coaching brain in that way, and since then, I think Mike McCarthy has taken leaps and bounds to establish what he wants and set those expectations and set those identities. I also really appreciate a guy who will move people up within his own staff to give them promotions if you will, where they're deserving, and he knows their strengths already, as those coaches, those players already know them.
Speaker 5: They're familiar.
Speaker 6: There's no time to have to sit there and kind of play ketchup of oh.
Speaker 5: Hi, how are you nice to meet you? You're my coach.
Speaker 6: Now. There's already that respect factor there for what they're saying because they've been around these guys.
Speaker 5: So I appreciate that very much.
Speaker 6: But I think what you're seeing is you're seeing the final seal, if you will, of the Mike McCarthy culture in this team, because I mean, he's bringing in guys he knows, guys he trusts, and to be honest, if Mike McCarthy trusts these guys, I do too, And maybe that's bold to say, but I have nothing but faith in Mike McCarthy and how he runs this team because it was incredible to watch last year. I can't imagine when he has guys that he has full confidence in knows can get the job done.
Speaker 5: It's going to be special.
Speaker 3: Your question when you said you had no idea about Scott toles In, I did a deep dive. I'm currently on Wikipedia. I was at the knap Scott tolls In. He is a former American quarterback who is now a coaching assistant for the Cowboys.
Speaker 1: We know he is the quarterbacks coach.
Speaker 3: He played football at Wisconsin, but he was an undrafted free agent. He got signed by the Chargers back in twenty eleven, and he spent time with the forty nine Ers, the Packers, and the Colts. He was a two star recruit out of Illinois in high school. It reminds me a lot of Kellen Moore, and I'll be interested to see, you know what his skill set and how he's able to work with guys like you know, Dak and Cooper if they resigned, obviously, but I'm also interested to see what he works.
Speaker 1: Like with Will Greer.
Speaker 3: I know that you know this past season was just a learning opportunity for a greer and you know, getting to learn from a guy like Dak Prescott or even Cooper Rush. I think that combination is really good to kind of pick their brain from. So we'll see what he can do with the quarterbacks and how he works with ness Meyers or not ness Meyer.
Speaker 4: He just left.
Speaker 1: Who's the new OC? Shotty? Thank you the last time?
Speaker 3: Yeah, their last names are kind of tricky boat something else that I think, And you were talking in length about Mike, and I get that. I think he's done a tremendous job with this organization, but I think this also could kind of be a make or break here for Mike as well. You know, those conversations have been happening for the last two seasons now. The positives is that he has continued to improve. But again, I think Jerry, and I think a lot of the leadership guys on this team are to the point where they're like, look, we cannot.
Speaker 1: Keep wasting that really show me.
Speaker 3: We cannot keep on saying that we're it and then we're not. And so I Jerry, I think, is finally hearing that. I believe that he's kind of like all right, like time to put up or shut up and listen.
Speaker 1: I don't think Mike has done anything wrong.
Speaker 3: I think it'll be interesting to see how he calls plays and how that makes things different. I'm actually interested to see if that is even something that they continue to go forward with or if it's just something where they're saying right now, we don't know, but we're going to default to Mike as the play caller.
Speaker 6: I also think, though, as long as you're the Cowboys head coach and you're not going past a certain point in the playoffs, you're always going to be questioned if you're not exactly yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, how many.
Speaker 6: Years with Jason Garrett did everyone sit here and say, oh, it's.
Speaker 5: His job on the line every every off season. I mean, he's so wild the day after loss.
Speaker 7: And understated and it's wid era Cowboys fans are I really do?
Speaker 4: I think that Jason.
Speaker 7: Gear Eric really gay Cowboys fans like I need to go see my therapists.
Speaker 4: But I'm so glad that you mentioned the locker room.
Speaker 7: I'm so glad that you mentioned just like you two years in a row, it is what it is, two years.
Speaker 3: In a row.
Speaker 4: Your office couldn't get it done and your defense was more than capable, more than capable.
Speaker 7: And so I am one of the people who really think it's important for your locker room to stay together, for your offense, for you to show the aggressiveness and the want to change on the offensive side of the ball. Because it's staggering that it's it's similarly happened, similar things happen in the playoffs two years in a row. I think it's important that they address it and go forward for the team, and also just the camaraderie of the team, Like I really do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they have to, I mean yeah.
Speaker 6: What you don't want is you don't want another stagnant timeframe where you look back years later and say, Okay, when when should I have made this move happen? When how long was too long to keep people here that weren't making it happen. So what I really appreciate about what we've seen so far this off season is, you know, some of these coaching changes may have come to a shock as a shock to us on the outside, but really when you look at it, it's it's interesting to see who was on there make it or break it year This season, you know, I know Kellen was the biggest one that we were all talking about, but it's interesting to see kind of how quickly that moved along. And what I think is a good new pattern to see is these things are happening quickly. Like you mentioned to your point, Aisha, is these are happening. These things are happening quicker than I feel like they were in past years. It wasn't a hold on until the very last second kind of thing with Kellen. It was all right, we didn't make it happen next and not that brutal. Right, Like, I'm sure it was not that brutal, but it's I like the speed that they're going with this. They're not wasting time. It was very much so turn the page. We need to focus and kind of revamp things here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of.
Speaker 3: The players, we just got to push alert from me espn Ceedee. Lamb apparently got a massive back tattoo and I'm looking at it. I don't know if we can show our viewers though the tat it's pretty intense.
Speaker 1: It looks like he got it done while he was at the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: But he said out, yeah, that looks like it hurts the commitment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is I'm looking at it that I'm trying to, like to say.
Speaker 3: On there, there's like a some kind of big cat, like a jaguar or a leopard. On the left. It's got Kobe Bryant on it, top of it says my story Isn't over forty five logo on there as well, there's a Warner Brothers logo and a Spartan helmet, so a lot of things, a lot of his favorite Yeah that's creative, yeah, yeah, yeah. So obviously always a guy who's feeling. He's feeling himself.
Speaker 6: Clearly to hear like backstories of tattoos, and even when you just see the guys in the locker room, you can see some of them and sometimes I'm like, what is that one mean?
Speaker 5: Look at that one?
Speaker 4: Look at him becoming a number one?
Speaker 7: That's not what they you notice what they do the leg tag du the arm and then they show everybody like look, look this is what you want will see when I'm on the field.
Speaker 4: But is this there?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Problem please, it's me.
Speaker 3: Okay, oh god, let's go ahead and take our second start final break here on Girls Talk, Boys Talk. When we come back, the franchise tag window officially opened earlier this week, So we're going to talk tag. We'll talk what that means, what it means for the Cowboys, and who should get that tag if anybody will be right back here on Girls Talk Boys Talk.
Speaker 1: At Jigsaw Dating.
Speaker 8: We obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth ring home, but to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who will put a.
Speaker 1: Ring on your finger.
Speaker 8: That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating today, Dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: All right, Pepsi loving football fans, it's time we had a lesson in trash talk. And I'm not talking about that stuff that happens on the field. What I'm talking about is trash, and it's the only thing that belongs in your garbage can.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 9: Recycling might not be as thrilling as converting up fourth and long, but next time you're thinking about throwing that Pepsi zero sugar bottle away, just cap it back up and pretend you're down by six with a recycling bin wide open. Know the difference, make a difference, be a team player and recycle. Visit Pepsi trash talk dot com to learn more.
Speaker 11: It's Smoothie King's original Angel Food and New Angel Food Slim without added Sugar. You no longer have to choose between treating yourself and hitting your goals this summer. You don't have to choose between great taste and feeling great because that's Smoothie King. Every blend is made with whole fruits and no syrups, so you can satisfy your cravings without compromise. The only choice you will need to make is which one is best for you to my our classic Angel Food or the new Angel Food Slim Blended without added sugar.
Speaker 1: Smoothie King rule the day our final block.
Speaker 3: Here on this Thursday edition of Girls Talkboys Talk presented by Jigsaw Dating, we will go over to Jess.
Speaker 6: Join Dallas Cowboys United, presented by Globe Life, the official fan club of the Dallas Cowboys, to receive up to thirty percent off Pro shop purchases in stores and online now through February twenty sixth visit United Dallascowboys dot com today.
Speaker 3: Well Ladies off season typically means things are pretty slow.
Speaker 1: There's a saying though.
Speaker 3: For the Cowboys is that there's no off season for America's team, which has kind of been true. It's been fabbin and shaken when it comes.
Speaker 1: We talked about the coaching.
Speaker 3: Changes, naturally, some roster changes are coming soon. But the big thing right now, franchise tag period has opened. And I kind of have to do some digging always when it comes to talking about the franchise tag, just because I have to like remind myself, like, you know, what are the intricacies of it, because it is a little bit difficult. And essentially what a franchise tag is is that a team can take a guy that they know they want on the roster, but they can't quite get to a long term deal.
Speaker 1: So they give a guy a franchise tag.
Speaker 3: It allows them to continue those negotiations without having to worry about spending a ton of money upfront. Dalton Schultz was the guy who was on the franchise tag.
Speaker 1: This past season.
Speaker 3: It is not necessarily player friendly because it does not allow those players to speak.
Speaker 1: To other teams. Unless I believe that it is.
Speaker 3: A non exclusive franchise tag, then players can obviously have conversations. There's implications that we won't have to get too much into details about, but naturally a franchise tag, typically teams are going to do the exclusive tag because they want to make sure that they can keep those players on their roster at as much of a minimum cost as possible. As he mentioned, obviously, Dalton Schultz played on that tag this past season. He was making a fully guaranteed ten point nine since he made it through the season and some of those other checkpoints that he made. And there's a couple of guys on this roster that are free agents that could hit that free agency tag this year. Dalton Schultz is a guy who could be retagged if they get there to it. If they retag him, they would have to sign him at thirteen million. That would be his franchise tag cost. Some other guys that I'm going to list out and I just want to open the floor to y'all and just you know who do we think it's that tag? But some other guys that have been talked about so far in this offseason. Tony Pollard is the biggest one. He is also, for lack of better term, the cheapest option to tag him at ten point one million.
Speaker 1: That's eight hundred.
Speaker 3: Thousand dollars less than Dalton Schultz tag last year. Who else is on that list? Layton vander ash I don't see a world in which this happens. If you tag Layton, you owe him twenty point nine million dollars, So I don't really see that happening.
Speaker 1: But I obviously see.
Speaker 3: Value in keeping Layton vander esh on this roster. So that's a guy to where it's an option, but I don't see it happening. And then you have Donovan Wilson, who I also think is an interesting option as well. You tag him at fourteen point five million, or you can hit him with the transition tag at eleven point nine. My question for you, ladies, of those four players, who is the most important guy that you want on this team no matter what, and would give that tag to keep them around for at least one more year. We're not talking future long term, but just for this upcoming season. Who's the guy, if any, that she would tag to keep around.
Speaker 6: I think the obvious answer is Tony Pollard. There's okay to me, that's the obvious one. And there's the reason everybody's talking about it because logistically, it makes the most sense. Costwise, it makes the most sense, and just the season he's had, the importance he has on this offense. Aisha brought this up against the forty nine ers. You saw the Cowboys unravel without Tony Pollard. You saw it with your own eyes, everybody, So you need Tony Pollard back on this team.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 6: What will be interesting is I think it's Tony Pollard or no deal, because yes, get him his get him signed, get him back.
Speaker 5: But if you don't have to use that.
Speaker 6: Franchise tag, then don't I think logistically, price wise, if it's not Tony Pollard, don't use it.
Speaker 5: So I'm going Tony Pollard.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna be basic with that answer because it just makes the most sense. Bring TP back because you need him. You absolutely need Tony Pollard back. And a lot of people have been bringing up, well, the ankle injury is not going to impact anything. I don't think so, because it's not like this is a nagging injury that he's.
Speaker 5: Had to break.
Speaker 6: It's it was a bad hit happened once. And we've talked about many times on this podcast alone how great this medical staff is here to rehabbing players and bringing them back to their fullest extent to be healthy. So I'm going TP or no deal. I feel like I'm playing deal or no deal.
Speaker 4: Now, yeah, I think I would agree.
Speaker 7: It's like, as much as I love Dono, like the Cowboys, don't.
Speaker 4: They value safety. Maybe they value it a little.
Speaker 7: Bit more, but I don't know if they valued enough to tag him or nothing. And I thought you made a really good point just of like it's either you tag him or you just you know, just sign him, Like don't don't don't touch the tag if you don't have to, maybe you can just come to a legitimate deal. But a lot of the things when you bring up Tony Pollard, I mean you look at the running back room here.
Speaker 4: I mean, Malik Davis is a guy. I think he's a guy.
Speaker 7: He's gonna be a player, But a lot of the conversations being like is he gonna come back? Is he not gonna be back? And when you look at that side of things, to just go into the next season, yeah you could draft a running back. Yeah you could bring a guy in here, and I think you could. But at the same time, just to come go into next season with no veterans like no guy that's been here before and done it before. It's something I'm like shaky about, but I would definitely say at this point, I would say, is Tony Pollard if you're gonna do it or not?
Speaker 4: And also too, he's with Tony Pollard.
Speaker 7: It's interesting because all the things that you kind of worry about with a running back, he don't have a lot of tread on them tires, Like, he hasn't played a whole bunch, so you some of the things you kind of worry about with like, Okay, if I franchise tag him, is he gonna have longevity this next three years or whatever the case may be, feel like it's less of a concern because he has not played a craptn or he has not taken a ton.
Speaker 4: Of snaps in the NFL.
Speaker 7: So I'm on the fence about do you use the tag and I'm not at this point.
Speaker 3: I think it all boils down to the Ezekiel Elliott decision, right, if you keep Zeke around, the contract is obviously going to have to be restructured, and I think that's just the reality of the business side of this game. He obviously brings value to the field, and I believe it's really challenging for people who don't spend time in this building talking to the guys, talking to the coaching staff, understanding the decisions that go into keeping both Tony and Zeke. And it's wild because you know, like I'll have conversations with like random people that I see out and you know, they'll they'll.
Speaker 1: Ask, you know, like what to do with Zeke? What are we doing?
Speaker 3: And again, like people just don't recognize the value that he that he brings to the table. You know, oh, he's washed, he's not scoring well actually, like there was a streak where he scored a touchdown in ten eleven street games.
Speaker 5: And it's not you being a homer just trying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just facts.
Speaker 3: Do I agree he's not the same Zeke that came into the league. But I think that's the challenging part of being a running back in the NFL right now because you're expecting your running backs almost to come in.
Speaker 1: You give them these.
Speaker 3: You know, three year contracts, these five year contracts, whatever it is. You come in, you absolutely get what you can squeeze out of them, and then it's like all right, onto the next And that's kind of the way that the NFL is shifting, right, Like you're not seeing a ton of you know, long term running backs like you saw with like Emmitt Smith or you know some of these guys who you know were back in the day those Bruisers. So it's challenging because you know, you I want them both back on the roster again. Like I just think there's so much value in having a Zeke and a Tony, Like once they started utilizing that run game, it was, yeah, it was great.
Speaker 1: It was a great asset that you didn't see a lot around the league. It was unique to the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: The issue that I see with tagging, and I don't know that issue is the right word. The issue that I see though with Tony is if you don't tag him, he's out right like he's gonna go somewhere else, you know what I mean. Because the Eagles are going to see that Tony Pollard is available and they're going to go, hey, Tony, we'd like to give you this, you know, three year, fifteen million dollar.
Speaker 6: You know deal, and Tony's going to go They did with DeMarco Murray, right, And it's just always tried to be the Cowboys and.
Speaker 3: Obviously that's just like it's an example. But so it's tricky, right, So if you don't tag him, I don't see a world in which the Cowboys would match whatever somebody else will offer to bring him back. Now, if you do tag him, you obviously run into the issue of what is he going to be?
Speaker 1: You know, the same guy. I know you talked about the injury.
Speaker 3: The Cowboys have really great medical staff, but a broken legs a broken leg, and it's we saw how Michael Gallup. It took him all year to adjust and he still wasn't back to one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: So now you've got a guy where, let's say you do eliminate, eliminate it's a horrible word.
Speaker 3: Let's say you do not re sign Zeke right or restructure his contract or whatever it is. Now you've got a guy to where like he's going to spend all the off season rehabbing.
Speaker 1: I'm sure he'll come back fine, but you.
Speaker 3: Don't know the mental hurdles or even some of the physical setbacks that he's going to have from having that leg.
Speaker 1: So it's definitely tricky.
Speaker 3: But I do like what you said about you know, if you don't tag him, don't use.
Speaker 8: It at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do kind of like that.
Speaker 3: I would personally give it to Donna if they don't do Tony, just because I feel like Donna was a really.
Speaker 1: Important part of the team.
Speaker 3: But all of these guys are guys that I'd like to see back here long term.
Speaker 6: I also think too, when you look at how the run game was maybe not used to the full extent this season, going back to this whole Zeta conversation, it's so frustrating to me because you don't really know what Zeke is still capable of because you didn't see the run game when you needed to the most. I mean really, there were times where yes, you saw the run for a little bit, and then the run was gone, and then you have Dak throwing for how many plus yards over and over and over and over, and you're relying on on the pass game more than the run game here.
Speaker 5: So for me, when people talk about, oh.
Speaker 6: Zeke is washed, get rid of Zeke's it's just not a valid conversation because you really don't know how much he can be utilized. Still, you didn't see enough of him this season to be able to say that. So I'm more excited to see, you know, if Zeke does stay, if Tony Poller does stay, how that one two punch can be utilized to the full extent, and that will trickle back down to Dak feeling more comfortable with the run game. You're going to see, you know, that offensive line holding up, which will be another interesting conversation there as well, and how that's going to look next season.
Speaker 5: But it's a trickle effect.
Speaker 6: And so I think what people fail to realize is what you saw from the Cowboys run game wasn't necessarily a game plan that was working for the run game, even though that was their identity, it wasn't what they were sticking to for most of the season.
Speaker 5: So if anyone saying Zeke is washed, don't come at me with that.
Speaker 7: Because he's really banged up to I mean, honestly, if we're being just completely honest about this last two years in particular, you didn't see him decline and play I guess until he was banged up, until he was dealing with knee stuff even last season, like he was killing it, and then he had the knee injury, and then this season also too.
Speaker 4: It was early in the season. I'm not mistaken his knees got banged up. Yeah, the Lions game. And so when you the Lions, but when you talk about I knew.
Speaker 7: But but then also to talk about Tony Pollard possibly coming back if you do franchise tag him, if you are trying to convince him to come back, I know for a fact that he is going to hopefully with this new coaching regime. Want to know how much am I going to be utilized and how am I going to be utilized? Because it was criminal that he wasn't used in the passing game as much as he should have been. It was it was so just the the running back conversation is like who's who's coaching, how they're coaching, how these guys are going to be active. But to your point with Zeke also too, I've seen him he teaches also, he talks to these guys. He's selling them like even Tony, He's selling them like, hey, lean here and this is going.
Speaker 4: To open up for you here.
Speaker 7: There's some experience with him that that I think obviously gets undershadowed, you know, by him not playing well in the moment or whatever. But I do think he has been very healthy for this locker room. It's been a pleasure to be able to meet him as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's awesome.
Speaker 3: He's one of the first guys whenever I moved here that was polite to me, that spoke to me. So again, this is this is the hard part of our job is you know, getting to know these guys on such a personal level, right, and we're having to say like, yeah, calm down, pipe down, We understand what you said, but pipe down a little bit.
Speaker 1: Gee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it will be interesting to see. Like I said at the top of this block, the franchise tag window opened on February twenty first, it will The deadline to tag players is March seventh, at three o'clock.
Speaker 1: So obviously they have a little bit over about a week.
Speaker 3: And a half to get some of those negotiations and decisions made, so continue to monitor that. This will be our last show though for a couple of weeks. Aisha and I are headed to the Combine next week, so we are so excited to be bringing us some cool stories. I know, Jess, we'll be holding the fort down for us back here hanging out getting some good stuff. We will be back in a couple of weeks to talk. Girls talk, boys talk.
Speaker 1: But that will do it for our Thursday edition. We will see you guys in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.