Speaker 1: Drama in real life? What would you do? It's one more thing.
Speaker 2: I'm strong and one more thing.
Speaker 3: Number one duck's quack but doing a sexy duck dance. I don't want video that existing.
Speaker 1: I went to the State Fair hypnotist. I'll tell that story here in just a little bit, and I just have a question for it. But first this, as I promised on the radio show, I called nine to one one on somebody yesterday. And I can't figure out time and place different than what I grew up with many many years. Different time, different era, different part of the country, different kind of town. But I've seen multiple things happen where back in my day there would have been a line of men to deal with it, and they're no longer are and I again, time and place. I don't know if it's changed everywhere or it's just because I live somewhere different. I grew up in the rural Midwest. But this particular story. Yesterday, I go to the gym and I'm going to work out and so hot, I actually drove to the gym instead of walking there, and I get out of my car and I hear this screeching as I'm walking toward the gym and this gym, there's a gym, there's a pool, there are tennis courts, it's a little compound area, a little lake, and it's a country club, is what it is. I hear this screeching, and I thought, is that a dog?
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 1: As I got closer, I thought it's a human. And then it became more and more clear to me. As I got closer. It sounded like an angry human, and I thought, what could this possibly be? I walk up closer and it's some guy, guy like I don't know how it was mid fifties tank top screaming at his wife at the top of his lungs. She's sitting down, he's in her face, like nos, right right next to I don't know that it's his wife. I was just assuming wife or girlfriend companion screaming at her. We're fucking going, We're fucking going now. You hear me pounding the table like right next to her, and she jumps. She's clearly physically afraid of him and just screaming, just like berserk. And I thought, and there's people about, like nobody close, but there are people other people that are hearing it, and everybody else is just pretending they don't hear it.
Speaker 2: And I thought, this guy looks.
Speaker 1: Like he's a quarter of a second away from punching this woman in the face, and she's clearly scared to death.
Speaker 2: Why is nobody paying any.
Speaker 1: Attention to this? Anyway, I walk, I have to go buy him to get to the gym. Anyway, I walk up there, and I kind of go around the corner and I'm standing by this bush where he can't see me, and this guy is clearly close to snapping, and I dial up nine one one and tell him in hush tones, what's going on. I said, you got to get somebody here right right away, because this is going to turn this. I said, I might be fighting this guy before he get here, and because I thought, if he lays a hand on her, I can't let this freaking old fat dude beat up his wife and me and and anyway, long and short of it, my point to this story was when I was younger, different time, different place, I know so many guys that not only to do the right thing, would have intervened like before, not just call nine one one. They'd have walked up and said, hey, you're clearly scaring the woman. What is going on here. But I know so many guys that would have thought cool, a chance to fight somebody. That is not my fault. This is an opportunity. I've known so many dudes like that in my life. They were thought, this is awesome, I get to fight a guy and it's justified.
Speaker 2: Where have those people gone?
Speaker 1: Was a different era, different part of the country, cell phones, litigation, the whole be sensitized.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, partly, and yes, yeah, I think there are a lot of things going on.
Speaker 1: There's not a chance that could have happened, like when I was a twenty one year old. Not a chance that happens in public without five guys who are ready to fight that dude immediately.
Speaker 2: Not a chance.
Speaker 1: And now everybody's just kind of looking at my phone pretending I don't hear some guy who clearly is on the verge of violence. Nobody's doing nothing. That just seems nuts to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Wow, that's a tough one. I don't I can't even picture that happening in my child.
Speaker 1: She was so thankful afterwards that I called the police. After the police got there and everything was dealt with and everything like that. But it's wild, like everybody's just gonna pretend this and like go in the room and like, if he beats the crap out of her out here, I guess that's his her fault for being in a relationship with them or something. I don't know what.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I'm sure we'd have a lot of different opinions on whether it be right in or seed. There hasn't been violence yet. You know, he's screaming me.
Speaker 1: I was clearly scared to death. Yeah, obviously scared to death and should have been. He was a guy completely out of controlled.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, wow.
Speaker 1: And then one of the workers came up to me and I like, I thought, well, where were you? You're a young, strong male, why were you hiding around the corner? But he said, yeah, the guy drank like fifteen beers this afternoon out on the patio at the band. Okay, so you know he's a drunk guy. So you have even more information than I have.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Wow. I was thinking about this in reference to the absolutely horrific shooting as we're recording this just a day ago, day and a half ago in Idaho at the In and Out Burger, and some of the videotapes that have surfaced of people who are in the area, of course with their phone up, you know, recording it. And the comments were at least in the one I saw a young fella saying, essentially, people are running. Look they're running, man. That guy's shooting. Look at him shooting. Wow, And I think, wow, have part of what's going on here? And I don't know your specific situation. It's hard to judge this. I was there. But this gets back to my frequently expressed theme that it used to be virtually all of our experience was personal experience. We saw it, we heard it, we experienced it, we shook the hand of the person involved, or threw a punch. It was personal experience, with a little media that creeps in around the edges. Look, honey, as you flip through the morning newspaper, you know something happened in New York. But now, especially given how online people are, the ratio of like media filtered experience or media provided experience versus personal experience has gotten flipped completely upside down and outrageous breaks through, breaks through the algorithms, and violent and crazy. Hell, I've gotten pulled down into the rabbit hole. And I'm like anti rabbit hole guy. If I even sense myself like I'm that third YouTube video starts, I'm mister wait, wait, wait, I see what you're doing, and I turn it off. I've gotten pulled into dumb asses fighting each other in McDonald's wormholes or you know, fast food restaurants. So anyway, you combine the fact that people no longer differentiate between their actual experience and what they've seen online, and the fact that outrageous has become routine. Oh and there's another aspect of this too that flitted into my head and flitted out again. It'll probably pack pop back in. Eventually. People witness something in real life and they relate to oh oh how people will say just vicious things behind their keyboards, whether to us or other people online or whatever. And then if you say, hey, I found that really hurtful. That was overlining, and they immediately back down. So you've got this. People no longer appreciate real life for real life, it's just another video. What they experience themselves is just another video in their feed.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I do think that some of that is it gets harder to separate in your mind another TikTok video versus this is actually happening near.
Speaker 3: You, right, or what to do about it, or how aberrant it is or how outrageous it is, you have to reset.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, because the proof of that is so I was leaning towards some sort of I don't know, lack of manliness that's going on, or what's right and wrong that.
Speaker 2: Sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: But then how about calling nine one One's a pretty passive way to deal with it. You're over there by the pool, looking at your magazine, You're seeing what's happening. Clearly, this could go crazy any half second. You won't even call nine to one one when you don't even have to get involved, right, Because I was the only person to call, and again she was really really thankful, and so were the cops.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it's disturbing, no doubt. Yea.
Speaker 1: I know people now here in this time and place that if they had been there, they would punch that guy in the face, guarantee.
Speaker 3: I'm playing around with this idea just because I want to get a grasp of it. I mean, this is a stupid and mundane example. I played golf yesterday. If I constantly watched videos of people cheating at golf, and then somebody cheated like in the game I'm playing the group I'm playing in, it would probably strike me as a lot less outrageous than in real life. I don't know, I'm trying to come up with a good example.
Speaker 1: Well, one of the best examples is that study that came out years ago about first person shooter video games. Oh yeah, and just rewires your brain. So maybe our brains are rewired about I mean, because the first time we ever saw a fight in a McDonald's video, Try to remember that you'd never seen before. I'd never seen one before. First time you see one before, it kind of gets you amped up. I mean, it's like disturbing, right, Well, it's not disturbing anymore because you've seen in entertainment, right, So something changed in the wiring of your brain about about witnessing that level of human on human.
Speaker 3: Violence, right right, which.
Speaker 1: Of course transfers into real life, I guess clearly.
Speaker 3: So now, yeah, these are odd times, can survive them.
Speaker 1: Another thing to bring up on this, and this is not complaining about the police. If we all want quicker response times from police, then we need to fund it at a much higher level. But what's the old saying, you know.
Speaker 3: When seconds count to police are minutes away?
Speaker 1: It was I don't know how long, but it at least five minutes. And I thought, if I had been fighting this guy, five minutes is a long time.
Speaker 3: Oh, you fight yourself to exhaustion, path fight again.
Speaker 1: So it would have ended one way or the other by the time the police got there. In five minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I mean, it's just a really good response time too.
Speaker 1: And it might have been longer than that. It might have been ten minutes.
Speaker 3: I don't know yet.
Speaker 2: Actually it had to.
Speaker 1: Be ten minutes because I went in and I kept an eye on it, and I went closer to the gym, and I did a couple of things.
Speaker 2: Bl blah blah.
Speaker 1: I kept coming back over and because he wandered off for a while, then came back started screaming at her some more. But yees, so it had to be more like ten minutes or so. But I'm not blaming the police.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: If we want immediate response time, we need to fund it at a very high level. But I think unless you're ever in one of those situations, you kind of have in your mind that when there's a heart attack or a fight or something happens, you call the police in. Theyre there instantly. They are not so you might have. I got to deal with this mindset whenever anything's happening. I'm gonna have to deal with this myself.
Speaker 3: Learn CPR and jiu jitsu.
Speaker 1: Just in case. I mean, I'm, you know, to take a very I'm not Superman in this thing. I'm willing to jump in with a probably drunk, fat guy roughly my age. So it's not like I'm.
Speaker 3: It's not like you're fighting a lion. A woman was being mauled by a lion right in my town.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, all right. I can't believe you didn't know what to do the right path.
Speaker 4: Jack, film it, post it online and then rake in all the money and get famous for it, and then show up everywhere and talk about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I could do funny captions or funny voiceovers like the famous Hitler video tape having to be a coach screaming at his quarterback, or one hundred different variations. Yeah, become an influencer.
Speaker 2: Could have been famous.
Speaker 1: Could have mentioned Armstrong and Getty, Hey, Armstrong and Getty like fights, put the camera on him, heard weekdays.
Speaker 4: Could have sold some T shirts and Armstrong Getty dot com.
Speaker 2: I guess that's it.