Speaker 1: Welcome to the Solid Verbal. I'll that for me.
Speaker 2: I'm a man, I'm for I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy, you want to be happy for Dake Edith State?
Speaker 1: Is that whoo whoom and down and tie. Welcome back to the Solid Verba boys and girls. My name is Ty Hildenbrand, joining me as always over there in beautiful New York City.
Speaker 2: My man.
Speaker 1: Am Dan Rubisteine, Sir, how are you you know? I got a massage earlier today?
Speaker 2: Ty? What I really slept? I slept terribly the past two nights on my neck and was really feeling it. And I have one of those handheld massagers that's on the fritz, and so I went to a local place that's well reviewed, got ten minutes of intense attention, and I gotta say, I think it opened something up in me and I'm feeling great.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's a Bob Kraft joke in there that I will not make. I promise you upper.
Speaker 2: Back massage will not make that joke.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the show. I'm Tie, He's Dan. This is the Solid Verbal. Our website is solidverbal dot com. If you're checking us out for the very first time. You can find everything you need on that website if you want to listen on your app of choice, if you want to subscribe to our newsletter, which we're going to use in the next couple weeks to announce some fun things that we've got on the horizon. Also, you can check us out on Facebook, on Twitter, on Instagram, and there is also a subreddit at reddit dot com slash r slash solid Verbal that is where some of our most oil verbowlers hang out and talk about all the episodes, as well as some other popular college football topics. Dan, did I miss anything in there?
Speaker 2: No, I think that's pretty good. We've got a whole bunch of shows that if you haven't listened to these past few weeks, I think you should go check out we've been I think we have been hitting our stride pretty nicely. And it's not even in July when we would start doing season previews, team previews, conference previews. It's a no weeks off operation here, Ty and I couldn't be prouder. I feel like since I started standing while I record, Yeah, I've not only enjoyed the show more, but some of the ideas to make it through this long cold off season. I've just they've come a little bit more naturally, not just to me, but to you as well. This is true. And can we first before we get into because you know what the show is generally about, because you've seen the title and description. We need to give proper attribution to our inspiration for doing tonight's show.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely so. I don't know have we settled on a title. Maybe we just call it all times solid verbal something like that. Yeah, yeah, something along those lines. We started talking about it earlier in the week. We both gravitated towards it. Right, all Americans, we can do that workshopping. I'll keep workshopping workshop all throughout the next hour or so. But yes, proper attribution is required here. Do you want to lay it all out there?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So, somebody who's been around the sort of Twitter sphere and college football universe online for a while as this guy Jim Weber and helps to put together and run and do all sorts of things with a concept, a website, a feed, all sorts of thing called Lost Letterman, And every so often I don't even think he doesn't know we're doing this, but every so often he says, hey, just reply to this tweet with the first random college football player you think of, and there are I'm sure you've gone through it now, incredible responses that people are just saying, like, hey Willie Twitama, Hey Joe Shobert, Like it's just all over the place, incredible players that we've celebrated these past few years. But the replies to his specific tweet go back forever and ever. So we decided that we were going to come up with two sort of all American ish teams. Yes, and they are both going to exist within the solid verbal universe of time. So this is all American teams that we are coming up with that is only including players that have played during which we've had a podcast. So the two thousand and eight to current day correct and the first team is and I want to explain this correctly because either way we're going to get a lot of people pushing back and questioning some of our choices. The first teams the it's the all solid verbal standard all American team. It's not necessarily who we think is the actual best player at every position. This is the clear best offensive lineman at you know, playing right tackle. It's not that, but it is the best person that also resonated most intensely with us, Right, does that make sense? I think so it's a combination of being best and subjectively made the biggest impact on us. So while the subjective best quarterback is you know, statistically and accomplishment, it's probably what who Baker Mayfiel, I don't know. That's it's it's it's very subjective, but you have on this a quarterback who nobody would choose as the player that you consider to be one of the most impactful and best players I love.
Speaker 1: So it's it's we've got two teams that were putting together and the second team is what tie well. So the first is right as you described, it's our collection. It's our favorites of the best, our favorites of the best. And then we've also got another team which is just more random. But I think guys who had who had an impact on us, none of them I'm looking here, none of them really had much of an NFL future. A lot of them had their glory very much limited to their college years as college football players. But guys that resonate with us not only because they're rand or maybe a funny names or had an accomplishment here or there in the college game. But I thought of it pretty specifically in terms of who we talked about over the course of the last decade. Sure, so you could see a little bit where that's going if you've listened to us for a while, because some of these names are going to sound familiar, and you'll know some of the obvious folks into our show dating back, gosh, years and years and years now. But so one team is sort of like our All American team, the players that had the most impact on us over the last twelve years or show, however long it's been since two thousand and eight now, and then the second team is more just a bunch of randos, maybe not NFL accomplished, maybe not even that college accomplished, but guys who had an impact on us, both in terms of the show and just as college football fans.
Speaker 2: Would you say they have sentimental value?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, these are players that have CENTI.
Speaker 2: I think we have three times of spending a lion I as we do Alabama.
Speaker 1: I want to start with the random team first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so these are just to all the players we liked before.
Speaker 1: Is that's the song.
Speaker 2: Daniel hit me.
Speaker 1: We'll start out at the quarterback position.
Speaker 2: So this is just sentimental favorites, not necessary excellence.
Speaker 1: Let's talk a little bit about my boy. Casual dress James Franklin.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, great pick.
Speaker 1: Casual dress James Franklin. Anyone here remember him? Yeah, yeah, yeah, casual dress James Franklin. He was quarterback for four years for the Missouri Tigers under Gary Pinkell. He was quarterback. I believe at the time that you know, that would be the time when they converted over from the big twelve to the SEC and we were doing the show then it was twenty ten through twenty thirteen, and I was enamored with this guy. Not because his stats were off the charts. I'm looking at him now, believe me, they were not off the charts. Fine, he was fine. Yeah, he was a fine college quarterback. But what had me so enamored about James Franklin was the fact that he would drop back in the pocket and you if you weren't listening to the game, if you didn't have the sound up to hear that there was actual hitting going on, you would have thought that they blew the whistle. Yeah, he was always very nonchalant in the pocket, standing upright walking around back there at times. Casual dress. James Franklin was born on the show, very different person, does not the current coach of Penn State, but casual dress James Franklin sixty nine hundred yards in his career four years nice at missoom So.
Speaker 2: I got to the bottom of this a little bit accidentally because I think the offensive coordinator at this time for Miszoo was Dave Christiansen, who excuse me, I don't know, not Dave Christensen. What was It's the floppy haired guy who ended up at Oregon under Mark Helfrich. But Dave Christensen was at Missoo at this time, and this quarterback coach, I'm finding his name as we do as we're doing. This was Mark Helfrich's offensive coordinator his final year, and so Dakota Prucop also had this very flat footed a approach to playing quarterback because he got back chapter like three games. But it was as if James Franklin got out of his car in a shopping center hungry for lunch, and there's Panera on one side and Chick fil A on the other, and he's just sort of scanning, like what do I feel?
Speaker 1: It was an extremely passive pocket.
Speaker 2: What is it that appeals to me about scenario Alexander TJ. Moe or any of these guys, So I like applaud that pick. Any other quarterbacks that you sort of I've got centered for your team.
Speaker 1: I have multiple options here. I won't go into them with such detail, but Tate Forcier has to be on this list here.
Speaker 2: David Yost is the floppy haired guy, but dude yos okay, right. I think he's the current offensive coordinator at Texas Tech. So look forward to that Red Raiders.
Speaker 1: Kate Forcier had two thousand passing yards as a freshman back in two thousand and nine, right when we were yeah, I guess in our second year of doing the podcast, and I remember him well. A lot of people remember him well for be eating Notre Dame on a late touchdown pass that season. Of course, so.
Speaker 2: Runs the gut right against Notre Dame. He had found like a long he had a.
Speaker 1: Run, I believe, but it was a touchdown pass late in the game then that ended up winning it. He was supplanted by someone else who I believe is on your side of the equallitia here, which we'll talk about. But Tate, FORCI had a bit of an edge to him, seemed very dynamic as a freshman, and then sort of fell off the face of the earth transferred a few times. Yeah. The other guys I have here Joel Stave, who is forever in solid verbal lore, played forty four games for Wisconsin, but will be forever known, at least in the context of our show for developing the yips back in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 2: Poor guy developed the yips. He was fine, nothing great, but that really did resonate with you. So I have Dinard Robinson because I went back recently randomly in thinking in my brain, I want to remember how good Denard Robinson am. I misremembering that Denard Robinson was super fun, And I did not misremember him because he was amazing. I'm sure Michigan fans have sort of mixed feelings that are not probably totally his fault because of the coaching change of going from Rich Rodriguez to Brady Hoak and the alborgious offense and the complications from there, and he ends up as sort of an all purpose weapon before getting drafted. But damn was he fun. And I would imagine the biggest compliment that you could pay somebody no matter their position, no matter what team they're on. He'd probably made a lot of bh's clench tie and I'm sure yours was one of them. When Michigan played Notre Dame that at any moment he was just gonna rip off a seventy one yard run.
Speaker 1: He never knew.
Speaker 2: And you go back and watch the highlights, because I think it was the under the lights game with the big m the big Blockam Jersey. Sure he went crazy. They were throwing RPOs pretty early on. It was a crazy fun Michigan team, at least on offense. And I would imagine Michigan fans now who are like, we need to modernize this offense. You just show them the clips of like the twenty ten, twenty eleven whatever Michigan team, like, oh, that'd be great, that'd be pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Collectively, between passing yardage and rushing slash receiving yardage, yeah, he had over ten thousand total yards.
Speaker 2: He's the best dual threat quarterback in Big ten history.
Speaker 1: Just incredible, and you're right, every time he touched the ball there was always that risk that he was going to break one and score. Really a great example of how one player in the college game can truly overtake we overtake an opponent. He was incredible. You had to count for him at all times. So it's a good pick here.
Speaker 2: But I'm thrilled by the way that Don Pelham never coached against him on like generating a third and seventeen against Lenard Robinson. That is one of the great successes of my Oregon faring number.
Speaker 1: Having to see that other quarterbacks was sentimental value to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got Jimmy Heisman, obviously, Jimmy Clawson, who I forgot about. So two thousand and nine he had a really good year when they went six and six, right, Yeah, he was very good. That was a Golden Tate Michael Floyd team.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep.
Speaker 2: I believe his two thousand and eight. The year before, he had two of the absolute stinkerst games I've ever seen, the Boston College game in the USC game, I think he combined to throw six or seven picks. The USC game was just abominable. And the fact that he came back the next year and was really good with a pretty bad team.
Speaker 1: I admire that.
Speaker 2: And if you look at my list, there are a lot of players who thrive despite things out of their control going terribly wrong. And Jimmy Clawson, for all the crap he took, finished his Notre Dame career in a pretty pretty fun one, I would agree.
Speaker 1: I looked at his stats recently, just for the hell of it.
Speaker 2: I watched the clips, I watched the film. He was good.
Speaker 1: He was he was I like the next name on your quarterback list here though, this is a good one that I forgot about.
Speaker 2: Team Magic, Team Magic, Taylor Martinez, who the case is pretty clear he's the best modern Nebraska quarterback. We'll see if the new Martinez is better Andrew Martinez, but it's better than Tommy Armstrong. I would argue better than Tanner Lee, no matter that the Manning passing Academy's success and there was just an element. And this is just sentimental. This is not saying that he is the best quarterback. He was the best quarterback of his era. Nothing like that. I enjoyed the hell out of the best of Taylor Martinez, shot put, javelin, throwing and all. He developed into a pretty good quarterback. He helped them to win a bunch of games. And he is the subject of one of my favorite hush hush conversations I had. I don't think this is betraying any trust our pal, old pal Mike Knebler. When I visited, we did a shoot a video shoot at Nebraska in twenty twelve. Yeah, I think it was twenty twelve. He pulled me aside, like, this is sort of off the record, but we're going to the option next year. It's coming back. And it didn't come back like they look like in the nineties. But Taylor Martinez when he was healthy and feeling it was super fun. I think his coming out game was against Kansas State and he ran for like two hundred and some odd yards, and there was just something pretty great about Nebraska fans out of nowhere working themselves into a frenzy over Team Magic, and I celebrate.
Speaker 1: That also goes into that same category as Dinard Robinson with over ten thousand yards if you kept up passing and rushing slash receiving. So a very very bright career for Team Magic and Nebraska. I remember talking about him many times. Let's move on to running back. So here here's what's interesting about the running back position. We both have a variety of names, yeah that I think we want to talk about here. But isn't it true that we could do a full episode just talking about the running back room at USC over the years. Yeah, guys that fall into this sentimental like Alan Bradford, uh Mark Tile, guys like there are so many of them, Yeah, Joe McKnight rest in peace.
Speaker 2: Yeah. CJ. Gable Yeah, CJ. Gable, Yeah, Chauncey Washington. There are three to five USC players and the big room was like two thousand and seven, so it's just before our show started. But tangentially, if we want to go here, there are whether it was Herschel Dennis or Desmond Reid or Jeff Byers, guys they were like, were you recruited in the nineties, were you offered a scholarship via compu serve?
Speaker 1: Oh gods great?
Speaker 2: Okay, so yes, we could do an entire show on just ridiculous rooms across college football. And that room comes from there were eleven blue chip players. All right, I've got Mikael Lashure. Oh my gosh, mckl Lashore from Illinois. There are He is not the last Illinois player we will listen, No, not even the second to last.
Speaker 1: No, MIKEL. Lashore. He had almost seventeen hundred yards as a junior, and then he left early, got drafted in the second round by the Lions.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think it was good for a couple of years.
Speaker 1: He was good for one year. Oh, okay, got over two hundred carries his first year, very promising. Played three games the next season for a total of nine yards in NFL play and they never played a game. We had that one year at Illinois that really vaulted his status.
Speaker 2: Ten Lashore. Yeah, Mikela Shore. And by the way, this is a disclaimer and this has nothing to do with mikel Lashore. But we may name a player or four players who have gone on to do shady or horrendous things after they played college football. We did not research. So if let's say Joel Stave has defrauded a series of preschools or something, we did not do any research, and so we were strictly talking about sentimental value about what these players did on the field and nothing else.
Speaker 1: Some other names here very quickly, Fitzgerald Toussaint from US Oh fits fits Toussaint.
Speaker 2: There was a run of Michigan receivers that you're like, oh, he's pretty good. I don't think I'm ever going to see him again, but he's pretty good.
Speaker 1: I also have Jeremy Gallen on my list. We'll talk about it.
Speaker 2: Ring a little bit, five foot one, tons of fun. Yeah, Lake Seastrunk, your boy.
Speaker 1: Oh, bounce it outside.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Wasn't he the one that helped get Chip Kelly in trouble?
Speaker 2: No comment, Tye, no comment. It was he didn't help, But yes, his recruitment was the subject of an investigation. And yes, Lake Seastrunk, who I still maintain one of the most underrated high school film whatever tapes. And he played in Texas and his speed was unbelievable coming out of high school. He was a five star, but it seemed very shady because all sorts of schools suddenly backed off him near the end of his recruitment, and Oregon was like, well, I guess we'll take him.
Speaker 1: I don't know. That's the good stuff right there. Oh. And then the other name here that I have on this list, and I think, for my money, this is the best name, best random name that we're going to talk about here. Zach Zwinnak. Oh my god, I love it. Zach Frickin' Zwinnac from Penn State. M hm. He was the guy, like the the guy for Bill O'Brien over that very short tenure he had at Penn State when everyone was fleeing Penn State because of the scandal and they had very few scholarship players. He was one half of that vaunted zwinn act Bill Belton combo that they're going to talk about. I'm sure in perpetuity rushed for I think a thousand yards or close to a thousand yards both seasons that he got the bulk of the carries and really truly was the guy for Bill O'Brien for two years.
Speaker 2: That was Hack's freshman year, right, he started as a true freshman, yes, correct, and was good. So in retrospect, Bill O'Brien, pretty good coach, pretty good college coach. I think that class, it was a smaller recruiting class, but pretty good because you're going to see playing time early on. Yeah, Bill Belton, Zach's Winnak. Yeah, there was something about some of that team where you're like, yeah, my cousin Za's pretty good if you want him to start.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what I was going to say. For sentimental value and for randoms that played college football, if you want to go mining, go look at that twenty twelve twenty thirteen span for Penn State football. You'll find a Mike Zordich here in there. Guys like that.
Speaker 2: Still, yeah, I still remember a Davy Jones story after Bill O'Brien left, where like Bill O'Brien called him on the phone and was likesh, I'm dealing with a lot here. There's a lot. I'm whoa this is not?
Speaker 1: And those were the Evan Schwan years at Penn States.
Speaker 2: So yes for running back on my just all sentimental team I lost Letterman squad. I have Kadeem Carry, who anchored who I believe did get in trouble. So I'm strictly talking about my sentimental value for what he did on the field, what he did on the just such a hipster twenty thirteen Arizona Wildcat squad with BJ Danker. It was the hipster ass West Virginia Pat White, Steve Slayton backfield with Kadem Kerry and BJ Danker, who I think Kadeem Carry went for about four thousand yards in two years. BJ Danker almost rushed for one thousand. In twenty thirteen. They beat a really good Oregon team that year in Tucson, and he was so good. He was arguably the best running back in the country, and he just sort of faded. I think he was drafted in you know, a mid round to like the Bears or something and never did anything. But both I have him and I have David Wilson, who had one extraordinary year for Virginia Tech man and that makes me happy because I've watched recent Virginia Tech offenses and it's nice to go back to a time where they could run the ball and he was a great all purpose weapon and he did backflips. And it's a little personal to me because I met him. I interviewed him and was super nice, did a really fun interview with him, and then he I think he medically retired after like a year in the NFL. He had remembering the good times. It was like a vertebrae.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I remember that he had something crazy like eighteen nineteen hundred yards from scrimmage. He was your year and the Giants drafted him. He was first round. Yeah. He was great in college and had the injury and wasn't able to play.
Speaker 2: So that still resonates with me. Okay, let's go receiver.
Speaker 1: Okay, why don't you start with receiver?
Speaker 2: All right, So this is on my sentimental team, and these are the best compliments I can offer to, especially a receiver where you're in such you're in so little control of your actual success. It's so quarterback and blocking and you know, dB dependent. But the three of my guys, this is my like memorial Eric Decker Award for being on not so good and just getting open and being an entire offense. Aj Jenkins for Illinois, Yeah, another Ali, and I I think his quarterback was Nathan sielhouse Man and that he was the offense. He was that offense. Jared aberderis who I think early had Russell Wilson and then it got kind of rough quarterback for Wisconsin, but he was alongside Nicktoon and they were both very very good. He could definitely have gotten Nicktoon. I went back and forth. My third pick is my favorite just in terms of sentimentality, and you know it must be because it's a receiver from Oregon State eight. And this is similar to my feeling or my comparison for you about clenching that BH with Denard Robinson, James Rogers. And I know Quiz gets probably more attention because of his size and just you know the huge game he had against USC, but James Rogers running the fly sweep and then just un guardable. There are certain receivers you look at and like, if I put Julio Jones or al Sean Jeffrey or Calvin Ridley, know, all of these guys who are just Adonis's in front of you, and said, these guys are here's a spoiler, You're not gonna be able to guard him. You're like, yeah, I get that. Uh huh, yep, I totally agree. You put James Rogers in front of You're like, hey, we'll figure something out, and you couldn't. James Rogers was that good and that automatic, and I loved watching him and it made me feel terrible because he went to Oregon State and he would kill Oregon each year.
Speaker 1: He was so good. A good return man too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, he was terrifying.
Speaker 1: All right, who do you have? I've got Aurelius Ben while we're doing while we're doing the Illinois thing. Yeah, here's what's interesting about Arelias Ben. I feel like a lot of people know him. A lot of people know the name.
Speaker 2: But yeah, five star yep.
Speaker 1: After he had a breakout sophomore year. He had like a thousand yards a sophomore year. If you look over the totality of his college career, he only had he played three years and left early. He only had seven receiving touchdowns in three years. Okay, all right, so it wasn't like a Justin Blackman kind of season where he's got a million touchdowns seven total over the span of three years. He was drafted, I think in the second round by the Bucks, had like kind of immediately right, Yeah, had around one thousand yards over the entire span of his NFL career and sort of flamed out. But Arelli has Ben had that season, went to the It wasn't the same season that Illinois went to the Rose Bowl with Juce Williams because that was the year before we started doing our podcast in like two thousand and seven, but he had that experience. He built on that experience the next year, had over a thousand yards in his sophomore year, then left early after his junior campaign, got drafted and then didn't really work out. But Aurelius Ben is a name that still holds very much sentimental value for me. Also on that list, I mentioned Jeremy Gallon. We won't go back into it. He does fall into that category of Michigan receivers that you know by name, but he knew in the moment that maybe we won't see them on Sundays. They're just fun to.
Speaker 2: Watch little Rowntree action.
Speaker 1: I considered Roy Rowntree as well. Absolutely, I have Derick Rodgers on this list. Ah, great transfer. Derick Rodgers had some issues at Tennessee ended up transferring to Tennessee Tech. I just like the fact that his name was Derick. We always got to.
Speaker 2: Kick out of that doing the shade played at Oddston Stadium Tennessee Tech and then made it to the NFL for a little bit.
Speaker 1: Totally good. Pick some other names here on my list. I'm surprised you didn't include Josh Huff.
Speaker 2: You know, I didn't want to go too heavy Oregon because we've got a couple here, and I don't know. You took one, maybe two Notre Dame players.
Speaker 1: I love.
Speaker 2: There's Josh Huff, Jeff Mail, There's all sorts of players in that those wide out cores.
Speaker 1: I'm also throwing Marvin McNutt in there. I think he might be my number one. Marvin McNutt over DJK yeah, okay, had a cup of coffee, I believe with the NFL played a little bit here and there.
Speaker 2: So he was drafted in twenty twelve. So who were his quarterbacks at Iowa. Let's see, two thousand they had DJK. That was a good duo. In two thousand and eight he had Ricky Stansey.
Speaker 1: Oh, love it or leave it. In two thousand and nine he had Ricky Stanzy. Yeah. In ten he had Ricky Stanzy.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that was that was totally decent. That's an NFL quarterback.
Speaker 1: And in twenty eleven James Vandenburg. All right, so Ricky Stansy was an NFL quarterback. All right, Before we go any further, doan need to talk to you about Indochino. Oh please, Now, I'm going to see you this weekend. Full disclosure, I'm gonna see you this weekend. But we're not doing the suit thing. We gotta make sure we organize a suit fitting at some point this summer at Indochino. Yes, with Kindochino, they make suits. They make shirts to your exact measurements, which gives you an unparalleled fit unparalleled comfort. Guys love the wide selection of high quality fabrics and colors, not to mention the option to personalize all the details, whether it's your lapel, your line, your pockets, your buttons, you name it. It's an easy process. All you gotta do is visit a stylist at one of their forty showrooms in North America and have them take your measurements. Or you can actually do it at home and just shop online at Indochino dot com. You submit your measurements, give them your design choices. You just sit back, relax. Your suit is going to be professionally tailored. Indo Chino's being with us for a long time. This week, our listeners can get any premium Indo chinosuit for just three fifty nine at Indo Chino dot com when you enter solid at checkout. That's fifty percent off regular price. A made to measure premium suit shippings free again. It's Indo Chino dot com, I nd O c H I n O dot Com promo code Solid Any premium suit three fifty nine to three shipping A great deal. Incredible deal for a premium made to measure suit. Once you go custom, you're never gonna want to go back. So that is Indo Chino user promo code solid Dan. Also, if you're looking for ways to save some extra money this summer, if you want to start paying less on your credit card balances, if you want to refinance with a credit card consolidation loan, why not do it with your light Stream Oh my god, Yeah, it's an easy way. You can save hundreds, maybe even thousands of dollars and lower your interest rate. Light Stream offers credit card consolidation loans from five point nine to five percent APR with auto pay. That is far lower than the average credit card interest rate of over nineteen percent APR. Plus they're absolutely no fees. You can even get your money as soon as the day you apply. Whitestream believes that people with good credit deserve better loans and a better loan experience. If you are interested, if you were a listener, just for our listeners, you can apply now and get a special interest rate discount. The only way to get it, though, is a go to lightstream dot com slash Solid that's light s t r e a m dot com slash Solid. Of course, subject to credit approval. The rate includes a point five percent autopaid discount. Terms and conditions apply and offers a subject to change without notice. Visit lightstream dot com slash solid if you would like more information, Dan.
Speaker 2: That seems reasonable.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move to the lines here. I'm ready. Are there any names with sentimental value to you along the lines?
Speaker 2: So along the offensive line, I have one name, and this is one of my Oregon names. It's Kyle Long, who Yes, he's a first round pick, he's still in the NFL, but he was not a longtime college name. He played one year of college football. I think you started playing college baseball and got in trouble and went JUCO and ended up at Oregon. He was a backup at Oregon during his one season and into like November, and this still resonates with me. They're like, well, he's come along, he's learned the playbook, he has a good understanding, and I guess we're gonna start him against USC on the road. At USC, smash cut to ken Yon Barner running for three hundred and twenty one yards behind Kyle Long, and it made me so happy, so so so so. It was Marcus Mariot's freshman year, and I think they petitioned to get him another year. It didn't work, and so his fallback plan was getting drafted in the first round. And Kyle Long probably would have been like a blue chip, five star offensive lineman had he chosen football over baseball. He grew up and I want to say Charlottesville, think that's where the Long family resides. But I remember that early on, hearing just from people at Oregon practice, players and coaches and people who just happened to be like, he's a different kind of guy. He's a different guy. So he's going to start and he's going to be the best guy that there is. And so that became really apparent that first game starting. And so I held a soft spot from two twenty thousand, twenty thousand, I held a soft spot from twenty twelve.
Speaker 1: I don't have an offensive woman, but I do a defensive lineman.
Speaker 2: I know you disrespect large men.
Speaker 1: Remember a gentleman by the name of Jackson Jeffcoat. What about Jeff Schwartz.
Speaker 2: I guess he was oh seven was his final year Jackson Jeffcoat, Dan Jackson Jeffcoat.
Speaker 1: He was the number one strong side defensive end in the twenty ten recruiting class. He's Canadian born.
Speaker 2: Mm hm. He got to be really good.
Speaker 1: He played at the University of Texas and didn't really go on to that renown of a pro career, but came in with a certain amount of acclaim. And uh, I was always enamored with the name. You know, now, it's the name of a Billions character. Almost there's a character on Billions named Jock Jeffcoat, and I always think of Jackson Jeffcoat. Jackson Jeffcoat played at Tennessee. No, Jackson Jeffco played at Texas. The name forever sticks with me. This was right in the early part of our solid verbal rise to glory here on the podcast, Jackson jeffcot.
Speaker 2: You know what I really liked about not just Jackson Jeffcote, but a lot of players from this Texas era. It was like the Forgotten era. It was all these players, seeing Vince Young and then Colt McCoy and those incredible secondaries and running backs, whoever, this Texas team is just going to be a never ending dynasty. And then like it's the actual Jackson Jeffcoat era. Right, it's like twenty ten to twenty thirteen. That's the end of Mac Brown at Texas. That's the well, is he going to turn around this year?
Speaker 1: No? Is he gonna turn around this year? No?
Speaker 2: And like it's the hush hush, what forgotten era of Texas. And I'm trying to think who else we're on? God, it was I'm looking through here. This is Jack and Shipley, Marquise Goodwin, Fozzy Whittaker. You got David ash in there until he got hurt. There's you have I think two Malcolm Brown's right on both sides of the ball. You have DJ Monroe, Joe bergeron who like really flashed for a while, Jonathan Gray so, Daja Johnson. Oh my god, these names. So this was like that forgotten era and every team has this era. And you know what, whether it was like as things went downhill for Notre Dame or the end of you know, uh, Mark Helfrich at Oregon and even the end of Pete Carroll at USC You're like, oh, yeah that guy, huh yeah, I just went to a rose ball.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: So I love that that, you know, Jackson Jeff quot was still able to shine through some some turbulent times.
Speaker 1: Let's go over to linebacker.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, well I didn't give my defensive lineman. Oh please, I'll go through these quickly because I love a good unorthodox ly not a word sized defensive lineman. You look at LSU and you're like, man, both of their defensive tackles are six five three thirty great. Both of their ends are six four two seventy five, exactly what you want. I love it when they're like so. I have listed on here every undersized defensive end from TCU. Ever, Jerry Hughes, who is pre Fantasy Things. Ye did you know Jerry Hughes used to be a running back pre Fantasy Things all star if it had existed. But Stansley Mapunga, DeVante Fields who did get into a bunch of trouble, and Paul Dawson, all these guys were like they just looked like they were like, oh, he's built kind of solidly, but like if he were working a construction site or at an office. They're all six two two forty and we're all amazing. They were all incredible. I also have down here unorthodoxally sized Mount Cody, Yeah for Alabama, who blocked a game winning kick and at five hundred and seventy three pounds, why not. And just a personal favorite because it seemed like he memorized snap counts in a way that was like ingrained in his head. Hercules mataafa for wazoo. Great, Like, that's a six two two forty five defensive tackle who just sliced through every offensive line.
Speaker 1: I loved him, all right, let's move to linebacker. I'm partial to two guys here, I'm right. First off, a gentleman we actually had on the program. Mm hmm. Aaron Curry. Yeah, formerly the fourth overall pick out of Wake Forest, was picked by the Seahawks in the two thousand and nine NFL draft. Was a big deal coming out of college. Didn't really live up to the hype, right, But we had him on the program, and I was always partial to him. The one thing I remember, you could probably go back and find the show if it hasn't been deleted. When we talked to him, we said to him, what are you gonna do with your money? What are you gonna do with your with your first paycheck? And he talked about how he wanted to buy and I forget the breed, but some breed of dog that was very rare might have been silver and had it was a husky ish something blue Allions or silver eyes, right, something akin to that. So I hope he got his puppy, and I hope he's doing well. May not have worked out in the pro game, but was an absolute force at Wake Forest.
Speaker 2: He was a total force.
Speaker 1: And then the other one here is Joe Schmidt. Oh, I love that call. Joe Schmidt to me feels like one of the ultimates of this list. Joe Schmidt, former Notre Dame linebacker, undersized walk on had a lot of feel good qualities to him and his play.
Speaker 2: Five foot nothing, one hundred and nothing was.
Speaker 1: Very, very bright on the football field. Maybe not the most athletically sound, but certainly plug the hole up the middle and was limited but very effective in his own way.
Speaker 2: Was he there at the same time as Jalen Smith? He was, Yeah, So that was like a nice dichotomy because Jalen Smith was everywhere. Jalen Smith was arguably the best linebacker in the country. And then you next to him, you have what are we gonna use, gritty Wes Welker type, ye, Joe Schmidt. Yeah, No, that was good. That was a you know, Notre Dame recently has done really well with linebacker.
Speaker 1: It was a very good tandem. But what I will never forget about Joe Schmidt, And maybe it was because you could see the contrast between him and Jalen Smith on the field because they were playing on the same team, same side of the ball, every play, right next to each other. Joe Schmidt is one of the only players that I can remember watching the game and listening to the commentators pretty much talk openly like he's not going to play in the NFL, like, yeah, he's good enough for this team, but like he's going to be going pro in something other than sports. And the degree to which the commentators who are just open about this fact always blew me away is like, does Joe Schmidt find this disrespectful that they're talking about him like this? He's having a pretty good year.
Speaker 2: There's also a Joe Schmidt who played linebacker for Pitt in the like fifties.
Speaker 1: Uh so there's that.
Speaker 2: Soh My linebacking crew is all over the place, but I love it.
Speaker 1: So I've got Scooby right.
Speaker 2: Obviously, good one, good one who piled up tackles like he was paid a dollar a tackle, like they would pay you for Neutria in Louisiana. To help get you through the winter. Scooby was just everywhere and just piled it up, put up every stat but was a Heisman finalist. So I feel a little bad putting him in as a sentimental favorite, but he absolutely was because he didn't do much. I think he was on an AAF squad. Ray maul Luga, who was a total blue chipper and had an NFL career and maybe still is in the NFL. I have no idea, but when he came in, I mean the USC linebacking crew. I keep saying cru but linebacking corp whatever is one of the most talented. When you look at like the height of the Pete Carroll era, with Brian Cushing and Keith Rivers, all these guys and Raymond Lugu. When he came in, You're like, I think he wants to kill somebody, and he was there. I want to say he overlapped with Vontez Berfect, but I'm not positive who was actually on my act All All team. But that huge hit against UCLA is one of five six times where I was watching a game You're like, what just happened? Is that guy all right? Is that guy Spleen in the seventeenth Row and he was just ridiculous to watch. And then my third guy is Kenhrell Brothers, who this fits a very specific mold for me. He was at Miszoo twenty fifteen. He like one hundred and fifty plus tackles. He was arguably the best player on a defense that had to do everything for this family. It was such a bad offense that Miszoo's defense is there. Again, we've talked about great half teams. There is an argument to be made, and it would be the saddest argument to spend any more time on twenty fifteen Mazoo that that defense was the best defense on a terrible, terrible team that had to deal with a terrible offen Ken Trell Brothers, I think he's a backup in the NFL. I'm not sure, but he was everywhere. I loved him.
Speaker 1: We actually have some overlap. What do we have defensive back position? I didn't know this. Oh yeah, I saw this. We both have Zach Sanchez Zack Sanchez. Zack Sanchez had a run st Oklahoma right yep, where he was just incredible at finding the football, at picking off the football didn't amount to much as an NFL player. That's okay, but incredible run as a defensive back.
Speaker 2: For the Sooners makes me feel sentimental. For a time when Oklahoma occasionally stopped people throwing the ball, and Zack Sanchez was one of the reasons they did that. They had a couple good linebackers in there. They struggled post venables, I would say, but Zack Sanchez a lot of the time was a bright spot. So we have that soft spot for Zack Sohnchek.
Speaker 1: We had a ton of fun talking about Zack Sanchez and especially doing that accent. But just looking over his college career, he had fifteen interceptions in three years, which is incredible, six and seven his final two seasons at Oklahoma. They could use a lot more of that. Right now, Zack Sanchez has any eligibility and wants to come back.
Speaker 2: And sometimes that means if you were throwing at a corner more that maybe he's not as good as the guy on the opposite side of the field, and that's it could be true. But if Zack Snchez is pulling down picks, then he's doing what he supposed to. So I like that.
Speaker 1: You have a couple other heirs. Here's a couple others here yeah, I got Crazy Carl Joseph, who's still actually I think in the league. But Karl Joseph from West Virginia. We called him Crazy Carl because he was just like a torpedo coming down from the strong safety position. I've also got here the Darren Walls slash Gary Gray mm hmm, blended era at Notre Dame. There was some overlap there between the two. Darren Walls came in and was a very highly regarded cornerback prospect, didn't quite amount to the hype once they got it out there wasn't bad, wasn't Gary Gray bad. But Darren Walls was one of the first cornerbacks that I can remember in an era where Notre Dame needed cornerbacks where they actually went out and got one, and he came in with a hype. Didn't quite pan out, but whatever. And then the Gary Gray thing. I put Gary Gray on this list because in the early part of our podcast I I made all sorts of hay making fun of Gary Gray. Okay, not a very good cornerback, but still saw a ton of playing time because Notre Dame all on the whole was not very good at cornerback either.
Speaker 2: And then it was what year are we talking about?
Speaker 1: So this is like right as the podcast is starting up.
Speaker 2: Darren Wallas oh nine to ten.
Speaker 1: Yeah, finished his college career in twenty ten, and Gary Gray was shortly thereafter.
Speaker 2: He is currently the defensive coordinator at Baldwin High in Pittsburgh. Yep, I assume named after Jonathan Baldwin. That would be weird.
Speaker 1: Who is the note? I liked a Notre Dame corner. This is weird to say out loud.
Speaker 2: But it was like thirteen fourteen, fifteen somewhere in the Russell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was good.
Speaker 2: He was good. They've gotten really good at corner, my other corner other than zax heres Is. I mean, how do you not love Cliff Harris at what he did on the field. Has had a rough go of it after. But the rumor is the story is he showed up at Oregon and when freshmen were introducing themselves to the team, he said, my name is Cliff Harris and I'm here to lock shit down and then just sat down and totally backed it up. I still claim he had that pick against Auburn in the National Championship game that they ruled he was out of bounds. He had one of my just most viscerally enjoyable picks. It was that Tennessee game that if you remember, there was lightning the delay and Matt Simms, bless his heart, decided to throw clear across his body across the field and Cliff Harris took it back for eighty and six and it was just so wonderful. So, Cliff Harris, you were great and I miss you so.
Speaker 1: On the heels of talking about Zack Sanchez and drawing drawing loose reference to our favorite John Miller fake Spanish accent, yes, I want to talk a little bit about Drew Alamon, the kicker former kicker for LSU who Vern Lunquist seemingly invented a fake French accent to described during CBS broadcasts back in the day.
Speaker 2: That sounds familiar, Drew Lmo Lemo. Yeah, I'm sorry you didn't go with Brad Wing here, but you know that's too obvious. He was so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he's playing in the NFL now, and.
Speaker 2: He's still in the NFL, but you know, for a punter on a fake punt to get an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty as he runs in a touchdown on a fake punt. Oh, it's wonderful. I have Alex Henry, who was also excellent. This is not underrated Nebraska, but for Nebraska, I think he's still their all time points leader, and I just I still remember him. There's something about a kicker who doesn't just make field goals, but you get the announcer saying that would have been good from seventy and he was putting deep field goals in ten yards above the crossbar and just had an absolute boot and could not have enjoyed his career more. I just, yeah, I was jealous watching him in Nebraska.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna read through this list of sentimental favorites. Yes on my end, on your end, we've got casual dress, James Franklin, Tate Forcier, Joel Stave. I don't know if I had time to mention Riley Skinner. Great name, Yeah, great name, Michel Laschore, Fitzgerald Toussaint Lake, Seastrunk, my boy, Zach Frickins Winnack.
Speaker 2: You forgot the top. You've brought two of the names on here. Oh oh yeah. And Ralph Bolden, Poor Ralph Bolden with his knees. Yeah, Aurelius Bend Marvin McNutt, Josh Huff, de Rick Rodgers, and Jeremy Gallon. I had Jackson, Jeffcoat, Aaron Curry, Joe Schmidt, Darren Walls, Gary Gray, Zack Sanchez, Crazy Carl Joseph.
Speaker 1: Andrew Elmore. And then on your side we had Denard Robinson, Jimmy Claus and Tea Magic, Taylor Martinez, Cadeem Carry, David Wilson, James Rogers, Jabbed, Jared Aberdaris, A J. Jenkins, Kyle Long, every TCU undersize defensive end. Excuse me, Hercules Montaafa, Ken, Shrell Brothers, Cliff Harris, Alex Henry and Zack Sanchez. Times.
Speaker 2: Yes, all of these are correct. I am quite excited. These are our sentimental favorites. And on part two we're going to be doing our actual favorite excellent players at each position, and we are going to try to make cases for why they are the deserving ones in our minds. So, for instance, like you have here, uh, Tom Reese as you're an.
Speaker 1: All time best, So yeah.
Speaker 2: Should we I meant to do this? Should we be calling him Jim Clawson? I don't know, John Manziel, Chris McCaffrey, I'm previewing too much here. I love this ty, I sincerely, sincerely did. One of the things I just wanted to mention real quick before we go and preview next week, is when you were talking about crazy Carl Joseph, that there is something about having a safety. It's usually a safety, but sometimes it's gonna be a corner who piles up ridiculous interception numbers and gets drafted like four rounds too high. And I couldn't pull the trigger on Raheem Moore, nor could I select David Amerson, but it's all I could think about when you were talking about Carl Joseph. Also, I was going to ask about tight End because I have an answer, but it's putting you on the spot if you don't, So I'm gonna give you my tight End who was automatic And another pre Fantasy Things showing okay, and that's Nick O'Leary. Nick O'Leary for Florida State. Yeah, grandson of Jack Nicholas.
Speaker 1: Who could ever forget that would have been a Fantasy Things selection back in the day.
Speaker 2: He was secretly one of, if not the most dependable part of that all time all time. I want to say it was twenty thirteen Florida State offense, where anytime they'd get to third and seven, it would either be a screen or be like, oh, eight yard quick out to Nicol Larry Sure, uh huh, drive keeps going, And I respect that.
Speaker 1: If I go back, you look at Notre Dame tight ends.
Speaker 2: Hm, oh, this is gonna be tough.
Speaker 1: Notre Dame has a long list of really good tight ends. Yeah, I think back a while if you go back and look at it. But one that always comes to mind for me is Anthony Fosano. And that was slightly I guess before our two thousand and eight cut off for this. He was maybe a year or two before that. But Anthony Fossano for me, is the tight end that I think I have the most sentimental value.
Speaker 2: Who is objectively the best Notre Dame tight end of the solid verbal era, of the solid verbal era, probably Kyle Rudolph. Rudolph Okay, yeah, it's not a good run. It's been a really good run. Kyle Rudolph definitely in the mix there.
Speaker 1: You could probably throw Tyler Eifert in that equation as well, though I don't think he was. I Likedifford a lot as good. John Carlson another sleeper who played in the NFL for a while. If he might still be in the NFL, I don't know. Troy Nick, Troy Nick Nick, Troy Nichols, the Troy Nicholas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, god, there was a I'm looking through it. Oh here, how about ben Koyak Ben Koyak yep, sure, yeah, they went away from it. They've gone away from it a little bit recently. Alas Jones and Alas mack Man, this is a good lift. Durham smythe durham smythe All right, we're just naming people now. My pick for a favorite Oregon tight end is David Paulson for the record, Auburn Washington's own.
Speaker 1: All right, So here's the deal. Next week, we're going to go through our all time all time team. Yes, two thousand and eight, Yes, two thousand and eight, Yeah, all time all time. Within the span of doing this show, we'll go through a two thousand and eight to present. In the meantime, though, please send us in your tweets, your emails, at soliverble dot com, wherever you can find us. Please your sentimental squad, give us your sentimental squad man. Let us know who you think about when you're talking college football. Maybe not the best guys, but your favorite sentimental favorites over the last I don't know, decade or so. We're gonna be back next week. We're gonna do our All TIMESV team, and please do send in your suggestions for that as well. One more time, Soliverble at gmail dot com, hit us up on the website on social media, and don't forget to check out that subreddits, Reddit dot com, slash our slash Soliverble Day and you got anything else.
Speaker 2: I'm going to close with this, ty, if you could select anybody on your all Thie sentimental team to have all twenty two a team of O leave them? Who are you selecting? Do you want a team of Marvin mcnutts.
Speaker 1: I think I'm gonna go Lake Seastrunk.
Speaker 2: A team of Seastrunks. That's not bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all speed, baby, all.
Speaker 2: Speed all the time. I'm going all Mataafa's sounds good.
Speaker 1: All right, Well for that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubisy, for myself, Dihalda, We'll catch you all in a week. Thanks for listening. In the meantime, stay solid, peace,