Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys, Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 6: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Mbar Garcia, Brian brought us, Patrick Walker, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 7: It is Wednesday, May first, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number five. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We are alive from this WVC Mortgage Studios at the Start, presented by LG and today we recap the NFL Draft. Cowboys had an interesting three days. We'll get into our thoughts on each of the different picks and what they bring to the Cowboys upsides and where there are risks and all those sorts of things. We'll go pick by pick, but before we go through that, just overall, and this is not again you don't have to get into the specifics of particular guys, but just overall, looking at how the Cowboys conducted themselves throughout the weekend.
Speaker 2: Well, your initial thoughts. Let's start first with you Patrick.
Speaker 5: Oh, I was gonna let the draft network.
Speaker 3: No, man, we're all good. You're the one that called that Detroit trade.
Speaker 2: He didn't call it out. We got to give him a little lot.
Speaker 5: So, first and foremost, thank you Cowboys for not only striking a trade in the first round, but you were able to still remain in position, striking position to be able to get a starting offensive lineman and that became Tyler Guyton. But then you were able to also parlay that into the seventy third overall pick, which became Cooper bb who I am a massive fan of. So yes, you lost Graham Barton, but losing Graham Barton picked you up guyten and BB. I can't be mad at that. So I think that the first round they handled it magnificently. They were even on the phone lines taking calls at pick twenty nine to consider moving back further, maybe thirty one, thirty two that had Kansas City on the phone. But I did say last week that I didn't see a scenario necessarily wherein they'd be comfortable moving out of the first round. Why because they wanted fifth year control. Because they're not typically an organization that gets deals done proactively. That fifth year of control comes into play as Stephen Jones about it post draft. He said, exactly absolutely, they want the fifth year, so got that on Tyler Guy, and I would have liked to see them come away with another trade back, try to get back or maybe get back into that fourth round. I wanted to see them use next year's draft collateral draft capital to be able to do that. They weren't comfortable doing that. That's one of my only knocks in that they let the fourth round go by without them getting into it, because what did that cost them? A running back? You saw that run on running backs in the fourth round, and that had to kill them to see that, and that led to them not drafting or running back at all. So those are my only knocks. But overall, when you look at what they came away with talk about Marshawnneeland, I think that although he's not one of the bigger names in this draft, which is why Cowboys fans are like, who's that guy? Go watch the film, there's a reason a guy like Dame Brugler had him ranked I believe thirty second in The Beast. If you don't subscribe to the Beast and you're missing out there, But overall, you triple down on the offensive line. You got yourself a quality linebacker, got yourself a sleeper and Ryan Floor. Now I like what they did. If they even got the big boy and Justin Rodgers in the seventh round. Granted that's a flyer, but he comes from a big program. He was impact for the big program in Auburn.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 5: I like it a lot.
Speaker 8: They coveted to tackle more than the center. They liked the linebacker more because of what they went through last year with the problems they had, more than the running back. They were able to recoup. Well, let me put it this way, they found the right right team to trade back with. Detroit was super aggressive in this draft and they were willing to give up an overpay to get there. They were giving up picks, multiple picks anyway to move around there. So to me, you know you're going in, you're trying to figure out, okay, how we're going to help you offensive line, How are you going to help the linebackers. I think that they did that with both their picks right there. I think instead of forcing a running back late by taking the corner from wake Forest, I think they showed great discipline there. This kid's a heck of a football player. And I know we're going to get into all these kids and talk about them, but overall, I think you have to give them a lot.
Speaker 3: Of credit.
Speaker 8: Their ability to be patient in some areas, their ability to work the phones, and their ability to grab players that they feel like can help them.
Speaker 3: Now, me personally, I love the Guide and Pick.
Speaker 8: I think I love the BB Pick more and I think bb is one of these guys. And we'll see, we'll see about the potential transition from the guard to the center. But if you talk about a guy that's in that mode of plug and play, Beebe's that guy, maybe a little bit more than Guidon is right now. Guiden's Guiden's good player, but he's just gonna need a little work in some areas.
Speaker 7: Yeah, That's one of the things I seem to have heard a lot as I've read different people's takes on the Guidan Pick is that he's a bit of a project. Whether that how much of a project he is not.
Speaker 8: To the not to the point of project where you would like, you're just gonna have to totally remake the.
Speaker 2: Kid, Right, He's just a couple of things, you got.
Speaker 8: There's there's some things that you're gonna have to deal with with the hands and the feet. But we heard the same thing about Tyler Smith, you know, because Tyler Smith led the nation and holding calls and it was his hands. A lot of his hands were you know, his hands were a little wonky at times. But but to your you know, I'm sorry, I mean to interrupt you there, but it's not that project where you're like, I, we're just taking a guy here and maybe we can make it work. Now this this guy's got a little lot of really good traits to his game.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And I say this on in the post draft pod and Ambar was there as well. Uh, money on the table. I believe Geten is you're starting left tackle when week one comes around. I think they put him through the crash course. I don't think this is a Massie Smith situation where they're like, okay, well you know, we have you learned behind the veteran in this situation, be like chewing when you dog or something like that. I think they throw gutting out there after this training camp and they say, hey, it's time for you to learn by hooker by crook how to play left tackle. But to his credit and like Brian is saying, he's not a completely raw prospect. Right. So, he has played effectively at the edge, albeit right tackle with Oklahoma, but in speaking with the young man, he said he prefers to play left tackle, which sounds like he wish he would have gotten more burned there at Oklahoma.
Speaker 7: So he was checking the blind side of the quarterback because it was a left handed question in this.
Speaker 5: Quarterback right right, So he sounds like a guy who's kind of tamping at the bit to get to left tackle because he actually wants to be on that side. So I could see him just soaking up every single thing that he can to make sure that he's effective.
Speaker 2: Here's the magical question.
Speaker 7: When you say you expect him to be the start of week one, is that because of his level of ability or is that because of the level of competition he will.
Speaker 5: Be left tackle? The answer is yes, yes.
Speaker 3: The answers yes, I think it's more you know, to me, yeah, it you could. I guess you could say yes there, But to.
Speaker 8: Me, I I don't think anybody at left tackle is proven right there.
Speaker 3: To me, that's that's where you know.
Speaker 8: They they clearly had a need to draft a tackle and they got one, and they you know, they they plug and play guys, and so we'll see. I mean, I'm I like the pick, I really really do.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 8: I was Fitanu was coming down the board that kid from Washington. I'm thought, man, the draft guys are about to throw.
Speaker 3: Them one here.
Speaker 8: You know this is this is a seedy lamb kind of about to come down the board at him, and it just didn't quite get there. But Guiden is a very very good uh selection for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And then when you think about it, and we talk a lot about Austin Richards for example, uh, and I don't know, right he's going into his second year. If and this is not to say awsome Richards cannot move forward and maybe be a quality swing tackle, but if they felt like he could be a starting tackle in the league effective or two, they wouldn't spent a first round draft pick on a tackle. So when you talk about the level of competition, it's your incoming first round pick versus former fifth round pick last year. Austin Richards, a veteran at chumy DOGA Matt will Letsko who has a high ceiling, but his shoulders don't like to play nice. Josh bald is going to be moved to the inside, So he's going to have a hill to climb because now he's going up against you know, the Tyler Smiths and the t J. Basses and the Broad Kaffins of the world, much like Bbie is going up against the broad Coffins of the world. So yeah, it's it's ability a high ceiling on guy in combination, I should say, with the fact that the competition just isn't as strong as as you know it probably could be. Otherwise.
Speaker 2: We got to welcome Ag to the show here.
Speaker 3: She made it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, a fresh offer, fresh off a trip to Minnesota, and I'm gonna drop a little nugget for y'all. She was working on this project we got coming up for Deep Blue teasers, and I'll just say Mary and the Barbarian That's all I've got to say.
Speaker 2: The Barbaria is involved in.
Speaker 7: I know that's a fan favorite. It'll be a little I think people will be excited about that. But anyway, we're talking about the draft, i'd like you to give me your general thoughts. Obviously don't have to go through play by player, We're going to do that in a second, but just overall, What were your thoughts on how the Cowboys approached the weekend.
Speaker 9: I think overall it's uh. I like the picks that they were able to make. I like the trade and the fact that they were able to get two players out of that trade, which was very important, especially at the position in the O line. And overall, other than the running back debate and dilemma there, I do like how they came out out of the draft. Now I'm hesitant to speak on and Guidon because and I don't know why, and I just I don't like the feeling or my opinion.
Speaker 10: I don't like my opinion right now.
Speaker 9: And every time everything I've heard from everybody, he has been very positive.
Speaker 10: Meeting the guy and listening to him. I love him.
Speaker 9: I absolutely love him, love him, love his personality, love the the will like you can just tell that he's gonna get out there on the field and really work, work, work, and work really hard to get to where.
Speaker 10: He needs to be.
Speaker 9: But something inside me, it's kind of very I don't feel great about it. And maybe it's because the amount of expectation, the amount of pressure that you're having to put behind a guy, and we've seen it before where mentally, it can really take a toll on you. And you can look physically look like the guy, the right guy, and this guy is his arms are freaking long, Like it's insane how big this guy is and the length length that he has. But something inside me is just very feels very uneasy easy because of the spot that he's having to be put in and the amount of pressure and sometimes yeah, we've we've seen it before and it just makes me uneasy, even though I hear people being very very excited to what he's bringing. And you love to hear a guy say, hey, I prefer play left tackle, which is.
Speaker 10: Great, but I don't know, man, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I just so do you because I feel like and I understand exactly what you're saying. But when you look at the hit rate for Will McClay and the Will m clay.
Speaker 10: Era, that's another thing.
Speaker 5: Right, So yeah, brought has made a good point a few minutes ago when it comes to Tyler Smith. When Tyler Smith, when that was the pick cowboys got dragged on social media for that pick. Who's this kid and he leaves the nation in holding and he's coming from Tulane. That's not a program right.
Speaker 2: By the way the Cowboys are.
Speaker 7: The Cowboys are coming off a year where they were having issues withholding, and so it's like you're just making one probable word and whole and.
Speaker 5: Then what happens. Tyler Smith flies right out of the gate as a left guard and then he saves the day, helps save the day at left tackle, and then you put him back at left guard and he's an all pro. So and I mean, we're talking two years in, so I think when again, I understand the concern and we were just talking about our concerns as well when it comes to God. But I think the overall consensus is that not only does he have the physical ability to do it, not only does he have the will and the want to do it. Also I'd be remiss if I didn't mention his support system and just how strong his support system is and how much he's leaning on that to be great, not just at the NFL level, but there's this extra oomph by being the Cowboys. When having conversations with his father, Hell looking at seeing how emotional this father was at the pickup in the locker room, tears his dad laying on the start in the Star of Facilities, so I think when you have that type of support system kind of pushing him to be great, I don't think. I don't think Tyler's going to settle for anything.
Speaker 9: That's also potentially add to the mental pressure of things. And again, maybe it's just that the anxiety and me and the panic person that I am in nature, because when you talk about the success that the Cowboys have had drafting linement O Linement specifically, it's been great. But in my mind, I'm like, well, what law of probability? At what point did they actually miss one? And again, I'm not trying to be pessimistic, and I want to be very optimistic about everything that he can bring in the trust that I put in Will McLay and his team. But since you guys are forcing me to be on the show and speak and speak something inside me right now at this moment, Yeah, still still fair.
Speaker 5: It is fair.
Speaker 8: I wonder where they have this is just me, the scout in me. I wonder where they had Tirian Arnold, the corner from Alabama.
Speaker 2: On their board that was the one who was picked by Detroit.
Speaker 8: Yeah, because I know on my board he was my seventh overall player. And if you were playing the game of best available player on the board, Terran Arnold would be and should have I mean, and if you were doing if you didn't have, say, you didn't have the need to tackle a corner cornerback. To me, you know, that was one of those things that all of a sudden, you're picking potentially at twenty four and maybe the seventh best players on your board, and you're like going they talk about the blinking light.
Speaker 3: To me, that was a blinking light if.
Speaker 8: You didn't have the need and maybe this first pick, this tackle pick was about need.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was.
Speaker 7: But I think the need was was not necessarily just the or the overriding need was not just necessarily a boy just getting a tackle. I think the need was we need another pick. We got too many, we got too many holes we got to fill. We need options like and so I think for them, I think trading back. For me, even if you were going to look at someone like Terry and Arnold, the question becomes, would you take him or would you take two guys a tackle and the center potentially as opposed to taking the I think.
Speaker 8: If Troy Fatanu from Washington was on that board when at twenty four they wouldn't have got the seventy third pick gonna they were gonna hand that card in. They were gonna think, Okay, maybe we can do it some other way down the line. The fact that they were offered the seventy third pick, I think is a huge deal. But I think if a certain a certain player or two was there, I don't see them trading back.
Speaker 2: I will tell you this.
Speaker 7: Going into the draft, and we heard some some things that came out of the war room, it was it was a high percentage chance as far as the way they were looking at going into the draft that they were going to trade back.
Speaker 2: I think their.
Speaker 7: Expectation was, we are trading back and we're gonna find the right partner to be take an extra pick. And not only did they find the right partner, they found the right part of that got them that overpaid to come up so they could get a guy like Cooper Bebe.
Speaker 8: I had a Detroit fan argue with me though about this and any not argue, but made a point the overpay by the Lions actually for what it would have cost them to go from twenty nine to get Arnold say at seven.
Speaker 3: Is actually a deal. Yeah, no doubt they for the player that they got.
Speaker 8: You know, I was thinking about you know what, Yeah, it's overpay on the chart, But for Detroit to go from twenty nine to potentially where this guy was projected to being taken in the top ten, they got, They got a deal.
Speaker 7: You paid the price for a higher quality play. It did right, and it worked for everybody. I think this is one situation work for everywhere.
Speaker 5: And there's also the thing to consider in that, Yes, they ended up getting gout in offensive tackle, high area of need, but if Darius Robinson was still on the clock at twenty nine, was still on the board at twenty nine, there was a great chance they were going to pull the trigger on Darius Robinson. They were very very high on him, and I'm told that was a discussion. He was in that discussion as well, So keep that in mind, ladies and gentlemen. But he went off the board at twenty seven. So that kind of solved the problem there for the Cowboys, and there was guy in steering them in the face.
Speaker 7: So all right, we're gonna take our first break when we come back. We've talked a little bit about Tyler guid and we're going to go through this list of the other picks that the Cowboys made and give you some scottery reports on what we think of these other picks. We'll be back Dallas, Cowboys dot com.
Speaker 11: Ragod thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah. Savannah Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 12: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 13: Cowboys fans, after that move, we've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 3: Let's roll back the tapes.
Speaker 5: Okay, there's our mascot rowdy cheering on the boys. And now he's on his phone on his Bank of America mobile banking.
Speaker 13: App, staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial assist in Erica.
Speaker 5: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive. Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash Can't Stop Banking.
Speaker 3: Erika is only available in the English language.
Speaker 13: You must download the latest version of the mobile banking app, only available on select mobile devices.
Speaker 2: Message dat rates MA apply a number FDIC.
Speaker 14: Welcome back in Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 15: Would you, Dear Doctor?
Speaker 12: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 4: But what's the right gift that says thanks for.
Speaker 6: Being a soldier to cry on?
Speaker 14: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 14: Just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 4: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors, combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf, the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 3: Back to the.
Speaker 8: Break Register now for twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboy Youth football and dance camps.
Speaker 3: Presented by Visial Ligne.
Speaker 8: Athletes of all skill levels ages six to sixteen are invited to learn from the best at this summer at the Ford Center at the Star and Frisco. Register for two or three day camps before May seventeenth to save twenty five dollars. Visit Dallas Cowboys dot com slash Camps. All right, welcome back.
Speaker 7: It is the second segment of the Breakwheel off from SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Start presented by LG and the segment's brought to you by blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 2: All right, let's let's go through this list.
Speaker 7: I want to throw out a name and then I want you guys to kind of give me your thoughts. On the pick, what you think of it, and you know whether you think it's a good pick for the Cowboys, and what you see in that player that could be good or bad. Let's start first the second pick, number fifty six overall defensive end, Marshawn Neeland out of Western Michigan.
Speaker 5: Great pick, here's your here's your DeMarcus Lawrence clo In my eyes, this this guy is he has some work to do and to be consistent in pass rushing off of the edge. He's shown signs obviously that he can be disruptive in that capacity, but boy does he know how to seal the edge against the run. So absolutely bring it on some of those. I expect that he's going to glue himself to the Marcus Lawrence, and I think that that's going to be his role going forward. I absolutely love it.
Speaker 8: Really strong, not a bendy guy. So to me, this is where all of a sudden we blame linebackers and defensive tackles for poor run defense. They said, the hell with that, We're going to sign a guy that can play the edges. They need to get better on the edges playing against the run, and this guy can do that. Though, like I said, he is going to have to develop some pass rush skills, the effort, the chase, all that, though you know he's just not His first step is really good, but he needs to find a way to carry that to the corner. And like I said, he's not the bendiest guy. When I think of Lawrence greg Ellis, who was compared to kind of some stiffness in both the way, especially with Ellis, but Ellis could get the corner and then close it. This kid, I think is going to have to work to get to the corner. But playing run defense, if he's not going to give anything up playing run defense, he's just that powerful of a guy.
Speaker 9: Based on the plays that I did watch from him, something that stood out to me is his awareness, like football awareness, where he can keep an eye and be aware exactly kind of where the play is going or where the ball is going, which is something that I've seen with some of the defensive players in the past that they struggle with sometimes of just kind of keeping up with the speed. And I think he's a guy that has shown again on the plays that I've watched, that he can kind of keep up and we'll see if that easily translates for like NFL speed, which.
Speaker 10: Is a lot faster.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: The one thing that pops out to me is the one play, one play why I should say the one play one play that I saw from him a was particularly impressive. I think is floating around the internet is one where get the Diowa game where he beats his guy, gets off him and then just decapitates the running back and the running backs running kind of up the a gap. So it's it's kind of that's what you're looking for in this run game because so often what we saw from the Cowboys is guys kind of hold their they can't get off their blocks. The running back finds a gap scene and he's in it and he's gone. And in this sense, I love the fact he was able to shed, get down the line and actually make the tackle. That's something I think the Cowboys sorely need when it comes to their their run defense.
Speaker 2: All right, let's move on to pick number the third round. Pick pick number seventy three was up.
Speaker 7: Oh, you're talking about come over Cooper BB, offensive lineman from Kansas State. The expectation is he will be a guy that they will slide into the center position.
Speaker 5: Your thoughts Heart Aye Emoji Cooper bb Is. He's a he's a mauler, he's a road greater. You know, one of the reasons that he was available in the third round would be you look at something like his His wingspans not the longest, his arms aren't the longest. But he was effective at tackle for Kansas State. He showed he can do that. I don't think that he has the arm and wingspan to be able to do that at the NFL level, but this is a guy who's played all five spots on the offensive line and can do it. We mentioned a little bit earlier about will he be asked to take on the center road with Dallas. I believe upfront Will he's already taking reps at center as far as preparation goes with our good friend Duke Miniweather. So he's already in preparation for that. But when you talk about physical stature, he is a unit and he has a demeanor that is visceral and brutal, and he wants to in his own words, he likes to quote dirt guys. He wants to beat those guys sense lists that are trying to come at him. So over the course of four quarters. They just don't want to see him anymore. That's the kind of demeanor the Cowboys have been lacking at center. But also even when you look at Tyler Byadish, one of the biggest knocks on Biadish was strength issues. Strength issues. We can sit here and say that Cooper B. B doesn't have the longest arms. With the power that's in those arms in his hands, it will more than get the job done for the Cowboys. I could not love this pick more than I do.
Speaker 8: He's an old school offensive lineman guys I used to watch when I was a kid back in the.
Speaker 3: Seventies, in the eighties growing up.
Speaker 8: He gets real close to you, and he is he doesn't have the arm link to really to extend on you. But where he does is he once he gets a hold of you, he is going to maul you. And you would think that at six three three twenty two he would have problems getting to the second level with foot quickness.
Speaker 3: And a balance in those things. Not at all.
Speaker 8: I mean, he can, he can hitch you, he can target guys. He's got accuracy with the way he finds his guys. He's a little bit of a push shove blocker. Like I say, when you get real close to somebody, that's how you're gonna play. But he will knock down as many defenders as he can on a given play. I've seen him like secure down linemen and then get to the second level and knock another guy down there. So we'll have to see, Like I say, the center part of it's gonna be a little different from him because here he's coming out of a stance and going in and executing snapping the ball, stepping and then going will be something that he's done before in his career. But now he's gonna have to get back on that horse though, and play it at a much higher level.
Speaker 9: I don't judge people by their looks, but it's always hilarious.
Speaker 10: But it's always hilarious to me when you see Linement that their.
Speaker 9: Face is just so innocent, like Anna.
Speaker 10: On the field. And that's the thing.
Speaker 9: You see pictures of him, you see videos of him just like not playing and it's like okay, bro, like who are you?
Speaker 10: What are you gonna do?
Speaker 9: And then you watch the plays on the field and this guy is so aggressive and that's exactly what you need from in lignment. He's so aggressive, aggressive, does not give up on the play and will literally stop once the whistle stopped, like once it hears that, okay, but he just it's it's amazing. And by the way, just to give you guys an insight, when that pak was made, everybody here in the office was going crazy watching the highlights watch.
Speaker 10: So that's very very exciting.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'll tell you this from from my perspective watching him when he played the Longhorns last year, which that was the strength of our team, was our defensive tackles, and he did a really good job against those I don't know that I saw another team do as well against those two guys all year.
Speaker 3: The West Virginia Center.
Speaker 8: Fraser has a pretty nice day against those guys, and that's why you would like talk about him as a as a guy as you would have possibly have drafted.
Speaker 7: But I just thought the way he handled physically, and those are big guys, I mean, both those guys are really big, very powerful, and he handled them pretty well. And I think that's what what turned me on to Cooper Beebe and I love that. I love also the idea that they're getting a little bit meaner. That was one of the things actually with Geyton, he said in his press conference, they asked him about playing next to Tyler Smith, and he said, the thing I love the most about Tyler Smith is that.
Speaker 2: He plays with the nastiess.
Speaker 7: He says, I like to play like that too, and so I'm thinking, Okay, that gives me another guy that plays nasty like Tyler, and then you give me a center that plays nasty like that, and obviously just the skill of a Martin and Still who also can be a little nasty when he wants to be as well. I love the nastiness of this offensive line in a season where, let's be honest, like they're gonna need to block really well if this running game is gonna get off the ground, and so I love that.
Speaker 5: A lother thing that Cooper BB does exceptionally well is run blocking. He will carve lanes and like Ambar said, he'll knock the first guy in the dirt and then he's on the hunt for the second guy. He's at the second level. So in that aspect, he reminds me of like what Lyle Collins would do. When you'd see Lyle Collins running down the field almost with the running back. That's Cooper BB. He wants to get his hands dirty.
Speaker 7: All right, Let's go to the second pick of the third round, who was picked number eighty seven, lineback of marist Lea Foule from Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts?
Speaker 5: I like it, and the Cowboys did not want to risk losing him by moving back out of that spot or by taking a running back there, because they felt like, obviously when they went back on the clock that he would not be available. This is a young man with an exceptional wing span. I'm going to also read from my skeleting reporting him here eighty six percent tile and arm length. Not the fastest guy out there, but also not the slowest. He's four to six plus in the forty which, as far as linebackers in this classgow seventieth percentile, so he's far above average there. His demeanor is gruesome, like he wants to get it in. He wants to tap in on every single play. Covers extremely well. My only concern with him is that he needs to learn how to drop gears when it's time to drop gil gear. Some of his pursuit angles lead to over pursuit because he's trying so desperately to get to the play that he kind of gets caught at the wrong angle. But if he can kind of refine those skills, I think he can be a player for the Cowboys, definitely. Sideline. Sideline reminds me of what Overshown brings to the table as far as like that that long rangey cover guy. But when when Maris gets his hands on you and when he can make contact, he really wants you to remember who just hit you. And that's that's that Mike Zimmer. I think Mike Zimmer sees that in him, and that's where he's going to come into play.
Speaker 8: He's a traditional off ball linebacker and you can use him as an edge rusher as well. He plays with physicality and a sense of urgency to his game. He's got the size of the functional strength. I think he's maxed out though at six two, two thirty four. I don't think he's going to get much bigger.
Speaker 2: Than is that undersize or is that okay?
Speaker 8: That's okay, that's okay for right now. And you know, the thing about him is though he's got good patience and he's got disciplined in the way he diagnoses. He doesn't take many false steps as a player, there's some explosive power to the way he plays when he steps up and he fills. He's fast in pursuit, and you know he'll chase ball carriers down where he I like him too. You can use him in coverage. You know, you could see him. He'll carry tight ends, he'll take backs in the flat. Those are the types of things. He's kind of got some completeness to his game that way. The thing about him as a tackler is though he will wrap up. There's a lot of times you see him in space he'll wrap up and do a good job of that. Then other times you'll see him kind of miss and so he needs to be a little bit more consistent in that area. But he does a great job of getting to the football.
Speaker 9: I have mixed opinions on him because even though Brian you said the size is good personally for me, I like my linebackers a little bit bigger and and I'm exactly and I'm already kind of missing that from Overshawn, Like we haven't seen him yet.
Speaker 10: I haven't seen him recently, so I don't know how.
Speaker 2: I think he can put on some weight.
Speaker 7: I think he is frame and can carry a little bit more overshon put on way.
Speaker 10: I haven't seen him recently, so I don't know how days.
Speaker 5: And he looks good.
Speaker 10: Okay, that's good.
Speaker 5: That's good, like it looks good well, and energy is great. He can't wait to get back up.
Speaker 8: The thing with Mike is Mike will play with a linebacker because he did it with Dak Wynn and Dexter Kochley. If you're small, Mike needs you to be small, smart and quick with their thoughts on how to play. He Mike can't use you if if you're small and you don't play that way with instincts and quickness of thinking, he won't.
Speaker 3: He won't play you.
Speaker 8: So this kid kind of fits into the bill of being able to think and react the way you need to do it. So I mean to me, this is the one point in the draft, though, where I had two running backs on the board and I was thinking, Okay, you drafted two offensive linemen. Now go fix this running game. Now go get Lloyd from USC, or go get right from Tennessee. You know that's where I That's where I would have gone. But I understand what they did here. We interviewed day three of the draft. We interviewed Scott McCurley, the linebackers coach. He didn't want to go through that. He said, Hey, God bless Marquise Bell for the way he played, you know, God bless all those guys for stepping in. They ran out of linebackers. They were sure at that spot and it affected the way they play.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 8: The picks they made with Neelan and this kid, they're gonna try and help themselves in the running game.
Speaker 5: And also keep in mind, this is a book Cats Award semi finalists from last year. So for anyone who's wondering if this kid, just generally speaking, if this kid can play, he can absolutely play. You don't get that far in the book Case Award nomination if you don't know how to impact games.
Speaker 8: They had two good linebackers there, kid Bertrand got picked a little bit later in the draft. But you watch Notre Dame's linebackers, they're downhill players.
Speaker 9: Well, something that we talked about quite a lot last year as far as some of the issues on the defense was the lack of size and just those types of matchups where you have the right amount of power and size to go up against some of those offensive players last year. But either way, I think and this is something that I'm gonna have to learn. That is what Mike Zimmer is going to bring to the table. And every coach has a different for different body types and player preferences for those guys, So we'll see how he exactly fits in. But definitely a good pick in the sense that it does address the linebacker position, which for me, I saw it a bigger need there rather than the running back. And I know that's a debatable topic, but yeah, happy with it.
Speaker 7: All right, we're gonna take our final break, we'll come back. We'll get through the rest of these picks that when we come back. Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g it is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and t five G, fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 12: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 15: Don't put off getting your oil change.
Speaker 3: Dallas.
Speaker 15: Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room. Yep, you hurt that correctly. Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area.
Speaker 3: And remember, at.
Speaker 15: Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 13: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order, plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash.
Speaker 2: Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP say.
Speaker 4: Champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle anti challenge on and.
Speaker 5: Off the field.
Speaker 4: Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 8: Back to the Break, Country Music's Party of the Year is back like never before. The Academy of Country Music Awards returns to the Ford Center at the Star in Frisco May sixteenth. See the biggest stars in country music and watch unforgettable live performances. Limited tickets are available now at SeatGeek dot com.
Speaker 5: Welcome back.
Speaker 7: We are in the final segment of The Break live from the SWBC Mortgage Studios, presented by lg Let's Jump in We've got the fifth, sixth, and two seventh round picks that we need to talk about. Let's start with the fifth round pick, pick number one, seventy four, defensive back Kaylin Carson out of Wake Forest.
Speaker 5: What do we know. I'll make this real quick, great athlete, great value for the Cowboys. Here two way player, former two way player. He played wide receiver and cornerback in his recent football career. Full four two i'm sorry, full four to eight second forty yard dash, which is comparable to what Trayvon Diggs did. I think Trayvon was a full four to two, full four three something like that. So not the fastest, but definitely not slow as well. He's going to be somebody who can be disruptive with both his catch radius when you talk about his arms. Doesn't have the biggest hands, but he can be there at the point of attack nearly every time. He's frustrating to cornerback I'm sorry to route receivers because he likes the press, he likes to get his hands dirty. He'll get up on you at the line of scrimmage and make that route a little bit difficult to get off of on the release. So overall and at the same time because he was formerly a wide receiver, not unlike Trayvon Diggs. He can diagnose quarterbacks reads in real time, probably faster than most traditional cornerbacks can. So I like this big.
Speaker 8: Watch the Florida State game man. They got some cats that can play over on that other side, big time receivers over there, and he was up to the task. You know, he's a very competitive, he's a fiery guy. The way he plays, he's quick footed. He plays is what we call field corner, and a field corner plays the whole open side of the field. You hear boundary corners and scouting and you hear field corners. Jerry Madaline so proud of me right now, Yeah, and he is so. But a boundary corner uses the sidelines. Field corner uses the field. So what you're going to have to do is you carry the whole field, so you carry all those routes. This kid's got the ability. He could play both sides. But what you want to do with him is maybe think about him with a slot corner. Where he's gonna have to improve is he will get his hands on balls, he will knock down passes and stuff like that. He's got to do a better job of intercepting the passes and so you know he's but he's a very willing tackler. He's he's right on the spot when he does that. The link demeanor is very very good. I love the way he plays.
Speaker 3: The inbreaking routes.
Speaker 8: You get those inbreaking routes and you have somebody that can carry in breaking routes as a corner those are the guys you want to play with on your team. This guy's was a really nice pick for them.
Speaker 9: Well, another thing is his special team's ability and what he brings there. And it's going to be interesting because now with the new rules on punts and kicking and all that, you got to change up and you need guys to help with all of that. So I think it's a good pick. You know, need to see more from him, but not bad.
Speaker 7: Everything I've seen and heard about him is very very positive. My question becomes why was he available in the fifth round?
Speaker 3: You know what there was.
Speaker 8: It was one of the deepest drafts of cornerbacks that I think I've been a part of. And I know I got to the point O eisham Worse and I were laughing about it. Felt like you looked at thirty corners, you know, and this sometimes, like you say, there's there's different traits for players that I think where you look at him, maybe people dingmed him on the ball skills, maybe they deemed him a little bit on the speed. But to me, you know, I just I even said it on the Draft show when they made the pick, I'm like, now they're back on track, you know. I was kind of thinking, you know, I didn't want them just to reach on running back, yead. The last thing I wanted him to do is just Okay, we're going to take a running back because we have to take.
Speaker 3: A running back. No, they took a legitimate player here that can help them. I just said.
Speaker 8: I but the depth of the position, the ball skills, and maybe a little bit of his.
Speaker 3: Speed might have got people off him a little all right.
Speaker 7: In the sixth round, Cowboys that pick number two sixteen select wide receiver Ryan Flinoy out of Southeast Missouri.
Speaker 5: What do we know? Freak athlete, absolute freak of an athlete For those that subscribe to the relative athletic scale, which is one to ten athletics and four prospects coming in that measured against the database of other prospects in previous years. Nine point eight eight. Yeah, nine point eight eight on the scale of one to ten. He is an absolute freak. And he's also going to come in and immediately challenged to be your Michael Galluper replacement.
Speaker 3: He jumping over the young guy.
Speaker 5: He has the size and he can go up and go over smaller cornerbacks, small smaller defensive backs at the point of attech. He attacks with violence, much like Michael Gallup did. He has the footwork to be able to get his feet down much like Michael Gallup did. So we talk a lot about, you know, Jaylen Tobert, hopefully saying more opportunities and things like that. Well, news for Jaylen Tobert is that he's going to have some real competition here with a guy like Florida.
Speaker 3: Yeah. This guy is a great looking player physically.
Speaker 8: And I'll side a question here because of I like Brandon Rice of us, Jerry SI's son. Yeah, this is where and they don't give a damn what I think. But you know, my board the way I had it when we were talking about the draft, I was like, maybe I would consider Rice at this point, but Florinoy is h He's one of these guys. He's a good looking player physically six twenties two h two. I've seen them, you know, I've seen him catch the.
Speaker 3: Ball behind him.
Speaker 8: He'll gather himself and then get into the end zone. He's really he's got natural hands. He thrives on the underneath routes and the ability to catch the ball in the move. He's got no issues with that. He's really a natural pass catcher.
Speaker 3: Maybe a little bit.
Speaker 8: Of a downside on him is the' be twenty five years old later in the season, so you know, but the development there. You know, we talk about players that end up like at Southeast Missouri and at places like that.
Speaker 3: I have no trouble with that. You know.
Speaker 8: Jerry Rice went to school at Mississippi Valley, Walter Payton went to school at Jackson State. Players play, you go find him, is what you do. I think maybe some people in the in the Big twelve might have missed this kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, some people might have.
Speaker 8: He probably should have been playing at one of these, uh one of these Power five schools. But here he is at Southeast Missouri. He physically, like I say, he's a great looking kid and he can catch the football.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're not gonna out muscle him. You're not going to out athlete him. Might be getsnocked to him. Was he just needs to refine his route running, which isn't unheard of when you're talking about a prototypical X receiver Michael Gallat That was one of the things that he needed to work on. So if this kid can come in and add route running to his arsenal and his size, he can be lethal.
Speaker 3: He doesn't run many routes right.
Speaker 10: Yeah, super super athletic.
Speaker 9: Of everything I saw from him, I absolutely liked, especially like his hand and he What's going to be interesting is what happens with how everything sorts out during training camp and all of that, because I do think this guy has a legitimate chance of competing for a spot.
Speaker 10: But are you.
Speaker 9: Willing to make a big move like that if you're the coaching staff and give him a less experienced guy over the guys that they have.
Speaker 10: I'm blanking out on his name. No, No, totally. The other one that we love, Yes, Jalen Jalen Brooks. That's a guy to watch.
Speaker 9: Yes, he's shown some things, so I'm curious to see what happens and how things get sorted out, but love the pick.
Speaker 3: All right, real quick.
Speaker 7: We got two more picks we need to get to both. In the seventh round, we had picked two thirty three, we had offensive tackle Nathan Thomas out of Louisiana Lafayette, and then it picked two forty four defensive tackle Justin Rodgers out of Auburn, giving me his ear your thoughts on those two players.
Speaker 5: Real quick. On Nathan Thomas, this is the Cowboys tripling down on the offensive line. This is a fairly athletic kid considering his size. He has the arm length and he has versatility as well. He can play tackle, he can play some guard. Wondering if the Cowboys are going to play him more interior next year. We'll see how that goes. But his power in his hands is insane. Once he gets his hands on a would be pass rusher or defensive line and it's just a rap. Once he engages with you, he's going to steer you like a car. Basically, biggest knock to him is he just needs to improve his lateral movement. And that's why I could see them the Cowboys possibly moving him in to see what he has there. But if they well find that lateral movement, then yeah, he can be a viable swing tackle for you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the thing about him was he probably went much higher. There's a medical condition about him that some teams kind of came off of there. But the upper body strength, the power. He's really good at setting away from the line of scrimmage. And you watch him in the running game when he plays in space for a man that big, he does a great job of finding this guy and then being able to eliminate that. You see him on the reaches, the scoop block, stuff like that. He's got the athletic ability to make those types of plays.
Speaker 9: He has the physique for sure, the size, and I love the versatility that he can bring where he can play guard and tackle. But I was surprised that they went for another offensive lineman. Again, I'm no draft expert. I don't know who else was available that could have been better, but I will say I was surprised that they went for another alignment there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, at that point, you're trying to just get guys traits right, and you're trying to see if we can turn those traits into players.
Speaker 5: And this is what were you try to avoid because if you have these guys picked this high priority undrafted free agents and you're in the seventh throne. On your final pick, you just go ahead and pull that trigger to keep them from possibly negotiating and leave it for another team.
Speaker 7: And the ones you think you have the least amount of opportunity to be able to sign as under free agents. Right, so the ones that you think are going to be more highly coveded, you go ahead and pick those, or you think for whatever reason they would not want to come to your team, whether there's you know, a lot of depth and they don't think they'd have a shot like those are the kind of picks you just make, make them come exactly. And finally talk about Justin Rodgers out of Auburn. What are you looking at there?
Speaker 8: He was the last one that you could have taken that had that size, that one technique size. There's a couple of him and Anderson from a Florida Atlantic were the last two guys, So there you go.
Speaker 3: Size.
Speaker 8: He's you know Patrick was talking about you know, you talked about where he played in the in the SEC at Auburn, physical player, point of attack transfer from Kentucky. You know they've kind of they've kind of looking for that type of guy, but he was the very last one that you could have drafted that could have probably helped you at one technique playing at that size.
Speaker 5: This is one of those rare times where looking at his athleticism as it goes to the ras the relative athletic score, I was actually excited that it was like one point eight. The reason I was excited is because this is simply a guy that's just under six ' three and he is absolutely massive. I don't care if he's athletic. He's going to eat up double teams and that's what you need your nose tackle to do. He has the hand strength to be able to not only eat them up with power through and push the interior of the pocket. I think that this is and I could see why they didn't want to risk him to undraft a free agency. He has a very real opportunity. With Carl Davis was resigned, that's wonderful. Shouts out to Carl Davis. But if you're talking about a player, especially a flyer pick, which is the seventh round, who has the ability to possibly come in as early as this training camp and push to be you know the guy behind Mazzi Smith or and also show Mazzi Smith what you know. Remind Mozzi Smith what it means to play nose tackle, get your weight back up Mazzi's myth and you know, get off the ball quickly and things like that. Obviously, there's some some downsides to him, but this is just a massive human being who loves to get his hands dirty. And there's a reason Will McClay called him big nasty and I love that well.
Speaker 10: I was talking about size and.
Speaker 9: Playing there, and he'll take off some size and he's also good with stopping the run and he has some experience there, which is something that you currently like. So Grant, I think it was a great pick, and surprisingly to me, after watching some of his plays, I was surprised he was still just there sitting waiting for someone to pick him.
Speaker 8: It was a thin that was a thin group that one technique and there's a couple of guys that were there.
Speaker 3: Boy I could say he was there was there were several that were.
Speaker 8: Drafted, and then he was really the last one that you could have said, Okay, this guy has a chance to help a team.
Speaker 5: One of the only knocks I had against him really quickly was that sometimes he can get high in his stance, and he just needs to understand and get more consistent and standing low in his stance, because if he can do that, then his momentum will continue to be devastating upon impact. Once he gets a little tall in his stance, he it's easier to move him around. So that's one thing. But something that I came across and shout out to Dan Brugler does magnificent work with funding these little tidbits. This kid, this prospect, this young man received a scholarship from Kentucky as an eighth grader. So if you want to as an eighth grade what as an eighth.
Speaker 2: Grade that means he had the size back in Yeah, we'll take him.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 10: I've never heard of him.
Speaker 5: Yes, So if you want to know what the ceiling is on this big monstrous nose tackle in eighth grade, the University of Kentucky gave him a scholar You.
Speaker 2: Can't teach size, you can't. All right, Well, appreciate you, guys.
Speaker 5: Jones.
Speaker 7: We'll be back next week. We'll talk a little bit more about this running back position. Cowboys pick up Ezekiel Elliott. Elliott, We'll talk about how he fits into this as this backfield and what other things that Cowboys may be expected to do at some point here, either before the season or during the season. We'll talk about that next week. Till then, for Patrick Walker, Brian brought us in Ambergarci. I am Derek Elton. This has been the Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.