Speaker 1: So you don't you're in LA, but you don't know if the Hollywood sign has changed colors.
Speaker 2: I haven't looked outside. I saw that on Twitter like last night, but I wasn't paying attention.
Speaker 1: The whole thing. The whole LA thing was like so fake like they I mean, I guess I guess it was by it, like they couldn't actually fly Tom Cruise warp speed back to Los Angeles, but just like felt I don't know that first of all, that they went to Long Beach instead of Venice, like they seemed to indicate they were going to Venice, and then it was Long Beach.
Speaker 2: So you're talking about like in the closing ceremony they had him like transfer it basically to LA.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so I didn't see the full thing. I just saw him like repelling into the tweets about.
Speaker 1: It, and that scared you, and so you ran away and stopped at that point. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you're saying it was just like very fake, which does feel very Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just felt like so he got the thing right. It just felt the whole closing ceremony in France was so like experimental art piece, like what are they trying to say, it was like so slow, they didn't give a fuck that they were making it, just like in a wildly uncomfortable watch. And then the second like Tom Cruise repels in and it's like quickly edited. They're like yeah, yeah, YadA, YadA YadA, like do the red dot flying across the globe like in Indiana Jones And then he's like skydives for no reason and makes the Hollywood Sign a different color. Although we still don't know and there's no way to know really if that's actually happened to the Hollywood Sign other than you looking at your window.
Speaker 2: And I refuse to do that. I refuse to give Tom Cruise. When I look at my window, I see this Scientology building and that's enough attention Tom Cruise for me.
Speaker 1: Done. He had done something to the Scientology building. That was the big reveal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like, this is where the Olympics are going to take place now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hello the Internet, and welcome to this week trend edition of Daily. It's a production of iHeartRadio. It's a podcast where you take a deep bab into America share consciousness. It's Monday morning, Monday afternoon, depending on where you are. I'm Jack O'Brien and I am thrilled to be joined by very special guest co host with the mo host, a hilarious and brilliant stand up comedium writer, actor improviser. It's pobably Ganollo.
Speaker 2: It's you, your favorite non Olympian.
Speaker 1: Come on, you're you're an Olympian in our hearts.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you so much. I will drown. I will drown in that pool.
Speaker 1: That was just drown in front of everybody.
Speaker 2: Well, that's like there was that tweet that was going around. That's like, if you feel useless in your life, just know that there's a lifeguard at the Olympics. It's doing nothing and it's like, if I was anywhere near that pool, you'd be doing a lot.
Speaker 1: That pool so deep, or at least like the diving pools I was. I had the question, how deep are those diving pools? They look crazy deep. Yes, I'll go.
Speaker 2: To the other side of the area. I feel like every time I saw this, the swimmers go under, I was like, save them, and then they came.
Speaker 1: Back up and I was like, oh, get back, Oh no, okay, what's gonna happen. Yeah, that swimming, I think in particular, and there have been videos of this where they show you like regular swimmers versus Olympic level swimmers. Yeah, and it's just bonkers.
Speaker 2: We're Olympic level swimmers from like the nineteen thirty Yeah, like the track athletes, you know. Yeah, they didn't have the technology back then, they did.
Speaker 1: Not they also, Yeah, it was just like there were like five people in each town who knew how to swim, and they they sent them to try and do the Olympic for Yeah, exactly, freestyle was really free. It was like, I don't know, is this something that that was how they swam. But we're gonna talk Olympics. But this is of course the episode where we let you get to know us a little bit better by telling you guys something that we think is overrated, underrated. Let's let's start with underrated. Paulavi, do you have something I know? I just kind of sprung this on you. You were you were not familiar with the format. Do you do you want me to kick us off?
Speaker 2: You go either way? I have have something I can talk about.
Speaker 1: Hit me with something you think is underrated.
Speaker 2: Cheap people, we exist, we're important. We're getting you free shit. Yesterday I was at my dog rescues like adoption event, and it had like all these stalls and I just went around. First thing I did, fuck the dogs. Okay, first thing I did. I went around and I caught I'm like the volunteer that's like trying to get some adopted. But I'm like, forget this, I need free shit for my dogs.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I was the only one of the volunteers who like did like was very Indian about it, and like was like, hey, can I get like another stuffed toy from my dog? And I came away from that with a whole bag of swag, came up on squat. I feel like in every family there's like a cheap person who like haggles and gets stuff for their family, and everybody's like, oh my god, this is so embarrassing, and then they get all the free ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like, come on, we're out there, we're the soldiers doing the brave work of debasing ourselves for free shit for you.
Speaker 1: And do you put the stuff to use, like you'll you'll actually use those stuff stuff toys.
Speaker 2: Nice, they already destroyed one, you know. I have like a ton of treats that I got them. Of course, I'm advocating for all the people who can't, you know, talk to the waiter themselves, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can't feel too embarrassed to ask for like birthday, or we could pretend it is if you're yeah, yeah, all right, shout out to the shout out to the cheap. My underrated is I got two one is. I think my brain was just like, I don't smoke weed anymore, but my brain just like has these periods where I feel like I'm like having high thoughts and so, uh, my two underrateds are seashells and identical twins.
Speaker 2: And like acid flashbacks but yeah flash.
Speaker 1: Works, Yeah, where I'm just like like seeing it again for the first time through like high eyes and I'm I so, I'm I'm down to shore with my kids, and my kids are just running around, you know, obsessed with seashells. My eight year old is into collecting broken shells, which at a certain point is annoying because what the fuck am I going to do with all of these broken shells? Like pave a bar parking lot in Key West. But the more time I spent with him really looking at the seashells, I feel like he's probably right, Like the sea just kind of spits out a bunch of artwork that is like a minus sixth grader art project artwork, Like it's better than ninety percent of the like sculptures I have ever made or really seen. And like the colors or like the colors usually go together really well on the seashells, and.
Speaker 2: You're like, you know what, see, nice job, nice job, I see, You're very good, pretty good most of the time. I literally had this thought recently because when I was a kid, I used to be that kid who collects all the seashells, and like even like my dad or whatever would bring a seashell back from like a beach he was on, and they are like really beautiful, and like all the different shapes and the fact that they're imperfect but still beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like a little shard of one that you're like, oh, this thing was beautiful. Like the full version of this was unbelievable.
Speaker 2: They're homes to creatures.
Speaker 1: They're homes. They are just a bunch of houses for mollusks.
Speaker 2: Tiny homes, tiny tiny huh.
Speaker 1: They were on the tiny home wave before humans. Yeah. I think I think I just got older and aliced over by life and stopped having the wonder. But I think I am wrong and the kids are right on this one. And seashells are fucking cool. Just straight up, they do great work. The ocean does great work every day. Plus they've like been in the depths of the sea. They've like seen some shit and then you know, came out beautiful and they still come out beautiful us. And then back to the Olympics. My identical twins one just watching synchronized swimming, and they were like, and this is our first of six different duos who are identical twins. Like they're so like, being an identical twin is basically a performance enhancing drug for synchronized swimming, which I don't know.
Speaker 2: I wait, so that was actually a thing, Like they were actually twins in synchronized women.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a bunch of there were multiple twins that were doing synchronized Yeah.
Speaker 2: I saw that there were a couple track athletes that were twins. I forget what their names started with an S, but they're like these gorgeous women that were twins and track athletes.
Speaker 1: Why are all the track athletes so gorgeous? Those were literally I was like, why is everybody so beautiful. What the fuck is happening? It's like when you see like NFL quarterbacks, and a bunch of the NFL quarterbacks are all like really handsome, You're like, why are all these track athletes like the most beautiful humans I've ever seen? It doesn't make sense.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be like, hey kid, you got a face for track?
Speaker 1: You know, face for track? Doesn't make sense. But it did make me again like have high mind, just the identical twins. Like thinking about it again, I was like, this would be like if it wasn't real, it would have been invented by a sci fi writer and it would have been like a mind blowing work of science fiction, Like what if there was a type of person who looked exactly like you but also had your like same insides and a lot of like your same personality. Like I don't know, it's just a philosphic, philosophical like mind fuck that we just you know, we we've lived with forever, so it's not that weird to us. But yeah, I don't know. And then this like sent me down a rabbit hole of just weird Olympic athlete hacks, like apparently swimmers have to have really long torsos and short legs because like everything below the waist is I guess useless. So like Michael Phelps in person looks like he's walking around on his knees, but he's got like webbing Yama's wingspan, like he's just wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then I was I just remember like at the time, everybody who was commenting on the Olympics, they'd be like, he's so graceful in the water, and he looks like a fucking dog on land. He looks disgusting, like some sort of deep sea fish. Get the fuck off land, Michael Phelps, get back in the water. We don't want to see you.
Speaker 1: You look like shit. Pal. Also, water polo players have to have long forearms, which is just so that they can yeah, just so they can like throw. I guess that like helps them with the which is interesting. It's just like weird little details of the human body. I never would have thought.
Speaker 2: Weird for those people, because everybody's like, oh, you're tall, do you play basketball? Like that's a thing, But nobody's like, oh, you have long form arms. But yeah, how do these people like find It's it's amazing to me when people find the thing that they're amazing at like Simone Biles, you know, like how she had the body for and the mental capacity and like all everything had to come together for her to be who she is. That's such a beautiful thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I have to give my overrated to like every athlete that's not Simone Biles. Like when you see how fucking high she umps, it's truly incredible.
Speaker 2: Like she's like five x her height is to the boundary line. Because fuck that when she's jumping that high and she steps out of bounds, Like, let.
Speaker 1: Her like her just what we do now? If she steps out of bounds, that's what we do now. Although she was so cool about giving you know, she was so chill. Yeah, she like bowed down to the woman who won gold and was like really cool. Yeah, fuck the boundary line, I got, yeah, well we'll come back, we'll talk about we'll do our Olympic uh decompress. But I got, I got real into it. I was I was like refreshing the metal count over the weekend.
Speaker 2: Oh that was the thing I didn't really care about that. Did China win that?
Speaker 1: No, we ended up tied with China for gold, and then overall metal count uh, the United States ended up winning, so but it was was touch and go there for a little while. We needed needed that US men's basketball title, and they came through for us. All Right, let's uh, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. And we're back and the Olympics are over. We got to watch a very weird, very French closing ceremony. We got to meet Ygun b girl Raygun on the way out. That was wild. So just let's just kind of go through impressions thoughts. As mentioned I, you know, Miles and I were talking about I was like not prepared for how into the Olympics I was going to be and then kind of gets me every time, but this time in particular, I was refreshing the medal count all weekend to see if the US was going to catch China. I had multiple conversations where I was like, they should have like a gold Derby or like a New York Times election needle style list of like expected medals and remaining events because because they just like they don't because of the tape delay, they're like not trying to be very forthcoming about when things are happening. So you'll watch someone win a gold on TV and then like not know if that gold is already included in the total, and like they're very loose with like live. You know, it says live sometimes when that shit is not live. But anyways, I have that thought every four years where I'm like, they should make it easier, Like someone should just have like a hacked together unofficial web should be that guy.
Speaker 2: I'm seeing it happen.
Speaker 1: I'm seeing it happen, but I'm also not the sort of person who remembers to do that.
Speaker 2: Thing I was thinking that about the Olympics in general, is like it's really cool to be able to see all of these sports that maybe you don't regularly have access to or aren't popularized in the same way during those four years, and to be able to like get really into like I'm not out here like watching two hundred meter race, you know what I mean, Like I'm not out here watching synchronized swimming, even though there may be events, but it makes me want to go to more events in between, because it does give you an appreciation for all of these different techniques and mental fortitude that all of these different athletes have to have.
Speaker 1: You're fucking bonkers, like the way they're able to suspend themselves in the water like and just do whatever they want with their body, like in time with one another is really uh.
Speaker 2: And the timing of it because I don't remember water, Like, how do you hear the beat? Like you just counting? Like that's crazy, that's raw dogging beats in rhythm. That's right, that's I don't understand that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, their heads are underwater, so they can't know. They're just like kind of tracking one another. The Yeah, I learned something about an athlete, and then if somebody walked into the room, I act like I've always known that thing about them. I'm like, oh, yeah, she's she's she's the best. She would actually win the four hundred hurdles if the other girls weren't even jumping over hurdles.
Speaker 2: That the term repage like I knew what it meant this whole Yeah, like a little the the isn't it? The the repasage rounds where they like it was like the rescue rounds for like the track runs qualifying and I think.
Speaker 1: I watched it usually without much audio.
Speaker 2: Oh, I had to listen to the commentary because some of it was so fun like watching Noah Eagle. Noah Eagle and Dwayne Wade comment on things was so fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because.
Speaker 2: Dayne Wade was like, I'm a Hooper and no Eagles be really serious. They were great. I loved it. But it was like the right dynamic.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They the basketball was you know we I think the last time we recorded the Serbia game was happening. Both the Serbia game and the France game for the US basketball were like high points for sports fandom for me.
Speaker 2: Those were really fun games.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: It really felt like they, like the US was like, okay, let me just like relax a little bit, and then they had to like amp themselves up and be like we're not going to be disrespected. Like Seth Curry like turned it to turbo mode the last game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Miles said it as the Serbia game was going on, and then a lot of people have since come to this, but it really was like an Avengers film, Like it was like, yeah, they were losing and then just just in time and like on command, everybody's very special super power like came out and they were able to like do their thing. But yeah, Steph Curry, who had been not great in the Olympics up to those last two games was so so awesome. Was like really, you know, proved that he's the greatest shooter of all time, greatest shot maker of all time. The three he hit where he had like two people on him and he was like fading away and just like looked like he flung it up.
Speaker 2: Those those like pictures were insane. If you've seen stills from it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Webbing Ama like trying to block it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the French commentators on that were like, Steph Curry the devil, stuph Curry is done, He's hurting us, He's doing it. They calling him the devil and saying he was.
Speaker 1: Hurting the French. I do enjoy like that. That's something that I've I still remember when he went off like early in his career against Oklahoma, the Oklahoma City Thunder, and somebody was just like, Steph got a demon, that's all. That's the only And I've always remember that because that does It's one of those things like sometimes my kids will have a temper tantrum like this where I'm like, oh, I understand exactly why people believed in Satan before, you know, like when when before like we knew science and psychology, and like I feel like Steph Curry is the other reason, like something yeah, like if awesome ande do that like two hundred years ago, you would definitely have to at least, you know, make sure that they could couldn't withstand like a boiling body of water or something.
Speaker 2: All those Salem witches were just like really good at track, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe they're just like damn, did you see the vert on her day?
Speaker 2: We're just synchronized swimmers and it.
Speaker 1: Took out some of her greatest athletes. And then of course, I mean there's also the really cute Chinese silver medalist and rhythmic gymnastics who saw the Italians doing the like bite the metal with the side of the mouth thing and then was like made an audible like oh and then bit like put it in her mouth like a cookie or like a pacifier or something that really cute.
Speaker 2: I love watching the metal ceremonies because it's afterwards and like everybody is like just so excited to be up there. And then like even watching the women's like weightlifting, it just looked so beautiful. I love watching women just like hug each other on the podium.
Speaker 1: I love the hugs. The hugs are humans crave hugs. We crave like contact with one another. Uh. And it's like you see it in athletics, Like you see it when like somebody's going to the free throw line in basketball and like they have to touch every other member of their team's hand before they shoot and after they shoot, and like they've done studies where that actually helps.
Speaker 2: Like it's like improv. It's like I got your back on improv where right before you go on stage you pat each other on the back and you're like, I got your back, I got your back, I got your back.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The only NBA teams the US men's basketball did zip zops app also, Yeah.
Speaker 2: You could tell they were really in tune. That's what one of their times that timeout was for. That would be such a fun uh like Patch Adams like like because I know Seth Crey has his show that's out, but it'd be so funny if that's like they were, there's a coach trying to get who was in improv, who's trying to get them? That's a team.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, like a ten lasso with an improv coach coaching in the NBA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's uh, the only two uh moments that I will say didn't happen is Jordan Chiles is still Lebronze medalist, and nobody dunked on Lebron and we can just move on, you know what I mean, we can just keep.
Speaker 1: Going Lebron he was trying to take a charge. I feel like I know it over.
Speaker 2: It didn't happen.
Speaker 1: People like this is worse than nine to eleven. I know, it's.
Speaker 2: Dunk denialists.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was doing. He was so good that whole game. He's like Lebron has gone up a whole new level in my mind, Like I've always been a huge Lebron stand but like what he was doing. Some of the passes he was throwing throwing were so cool, and he did it all with like a gray, old old ass man beard. I know, I love.
Speaker 2: It's crazy that he's playing with his son. That's insane that like, that's how old he is, and he's been this good for this long.
Speaker 1: It's bonkers, all right. And then of course there was Rey gun Uh doctor Rachel Gunn I think is her name. She So I've heard it said a bunch of times that they should let an average person compete in every Olympic event for context, they finally did it by accident in breakdancing. It did not go the way I would have expected. The yeah, I don't know, hopefully you got to see this Australian breakdancer before they like pulled all the clips off social I think there's still some floating around. Mostly it is people taking a video of their TV and just laughing.
Speaker 2: She basically was just like there were serious breakdancers, and then she looked like she was just making fun of them. She looked like she was from Alabi's Most Wanted. Like it was this white, thirty six year old PhD woman who was I guess trying to prove a point, which is the whitest shit ever is to go into a space created by black culture and then act like you know more about it because you're being an academic about it and not appreciating the culture.
Speaker 1: It just it really seemed like someone was like making fun like my, you know uncle, who's like breakdancing that shouldn't be a sport, Like was watch breakdance and then was like, oh, yeah I can do that too, this is you or like the comparison I saw a lot of people make is to like a five year old immediately after watching an actual breakdancer, like yeah, be like, oh yeah, we'll check this out. Like that's kind of what it felt like.
Speaker 2: The crazy thing is she got through like all the trials and everything, and so it just like I don't understand like what she was trying to prove or what her message was. And the thing is like I don't want to give air to it, Like I don't want to understand it. I'm mad that she's famous. I'm mad that she let people are like she's like this is such a like a beautiful, like a fun moment, like it made it the Olympics accessible. No, it's like demeaning to break dancers. It's I think, to media to like black culture, Like I don't I'm I'm just like pissed that that spot was taken by her.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It it really reminded me of this Naked Gun umpire scene like where he like goes under cover as an umpire and like doesn't know the rules of baseball and it's just like kind of making it up as he goes along. Like yeah, I think roy Wood Junior made that comparison. The confidence, the utter ineptitude just to an amazing combination. It's probably bad for breakdancing. I think you're right, Like it was the fact that that was the thing that Kate people took away from break dancing rather than like the gold medal winner is a bummer. At the same time, it was incredibly entertaining. So yeah, I don't know. And and it looks like breakdancing is not going to be back in la unfortunately.
Speaker 2: So this white lady like took it away.
Speaker 1: So they had already made that decision at a time. But yeah, I blame ray Gun. Yeah she didn't even like she just wore the Australian like warm up that they like gave all the Olympic athletes. It was a it was a wild look.
Speaker 2: It felt like she stumbled into it for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like it felt like someone woke her up that morning was like you have to break dance. What it's like, Yeah, here's a video of somebody else doing it. You need to be out there in fifteen minutes. Anyways, Uh, the NBC is still trying to make Jimmy Fallon happen. That was the other kind of bummer thing. But other than that, it's just so I don't know, did not need like reaction shots of Jimmy Fallon during like these super iconic basketball moments, like Steph Curry hit that shot, and then the NBC's like cutaway to Jimmy Fallon's reaction shot, like, I don't know, he's.
Speaker 2: Like doing like he's he's doing like a song with the roots on the side. He's like he's doing bits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah. And then they had him like narrating the closing ceremonies and just kind of like fucking up the vibes. He asked Katie Ledecki if she was going to fly home or swim home, and she was like, sorry, I didn't hear that, and he was just like we just all we love you so much the respect that he bailed on the joke. Anyways, all right, let's take a quick break. We'll come back. We'll check in with the Trump campaign and other news stories.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back, and we're back and back back to real life.
Speaker 1: No more, no more burying ourselves in the Olympics.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Time to so that there's still a presidential election coming up. Apparently a couple updates on that front. Trump's campaign was hacked by Iran and you hate.
Speaker 2: To do it, do they just hand over documents.
Speaker 1: Right, somebody just emailed them and asked for them. They're according to the Trump campaign, they were hacked by Iran and issued a statement. It sounded like so weirdly familiar. I can't I can't put my finger on why it sounds so familiar. But they were saying these documents were obtained illegally from foreign sources hostile to the United States, intended to interfere with the twenty twenty four election, and so chaos through our throughout our democratic process. You'd think they would have like done something to like put it in Trump's voice, so it wouldn't sound exactly like the Hillary Clinton campaign when they were.
Speaker 2: Hacked by Russia, like so wild.
Speaker 1: It's like it's it's.
Speaker 2: Like when Milania stole Michelle Obama's.
Speaker 1: Speech, still my favorite speech, the best. She just like removed some words, but like it was no longer grammatical.
Speaker 2: I think politicians should be able to do covers. I think that's fair. Yeah, yeah, if we're still talking about the same issue, we should still be able to use the same speeches.
Speaker 1: The hackers apparently send a shitload of documents to Politico, and while Politico hasn't published anything. They did give us the most appetizing little morsel in a description of what was in the documents, they said, one is a quote research dossier the campaign apparently conducted on JD Vance.
Speaker 2: It's just a bunch of testimonies from couches.
Speaker 1: That's right, Like there's pizzas in there. What if they're like, look, we have nothing to base this on. It's he never wrote it, but the guy has the vibes of somebody who fus couches. We can't explain it, but just beware if one person suggests that, even remotely suggests that on social media, Uh, it's going to catch on. Like if their intelligence was that.
Speaker 2: Good, it's like the Batman dossier on the rest of the Justice League. But it's just like a fire all full of couch.
Speaker 1: Couch couch shit. Yeah, I don't know. Maybe it would be boring since they did end up choosing him, so apparently whatever they found was not so it was not enough to scare them off. The advance trant.
Speaker 2: That like, the only people that are competent maybe put together put it together. And then Trump didn't read it. He just was like, what does my son want me to do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it also apparently has vetting of the VP candidates who didn't make it, like Marco Rubio. So uh, should be interesting if that ever drops. But just a quick vibes check for the race. It feels like, and again you do hate to see it, folks. Feels like Trump and his supporters are really struggling right now. We're seeing a lot of energy for Harris and Walls and a lot of responses for Trump and team that seem pretty out of line with what is actually happening. You know, their Harris. So apparently Harris had twelve thousand people turn out for her rallies and Philly in Wisconsin, fifteen thousand in Detroit. Vegas had twelve thousand people inside UNLV's arena and they had to like turn four thousand people away because they were getting heatstroked because it was one hundred and nine degrees outside.
Speaker 2: Some Waltz had to stop his speech in multiple cities and be like, someone, get that person water.
Speaker 1: Like a fucking beetle. Like it was like beatle Mania, Like people are fainting in the front row and he's having to like point them out. Yeah, but meanwhile Trump is like launching conspiracy theories about their crowd size, claiming like the images and report about Kamala having big crowds or like digital manipulations. He like posted a photograph of like this massive crowd outside of air Force too, like where you know, on the tarmac, and it does look altered like it just like the picture is like a little crisp. I don't know if like they you know, did some touch up work on it. But he was like, you know, just with it. He said, look, we caught it with a fake quote crowd. There was nobody there, and like all you would have to do is search on the internet for any want like a video of it, and you would have been able to find that this was in fact by photograph from fifteen thousand people showing up in Detroit for them.
Speaker 2: It also is like he's using the same arguments that they're using in order to try to boost the numbers around his crowds, which is he's saying like, oh, they turned them away. I don't want to turn them away, but they said they had to turn them away for his rallies, And it's like what are they can turn like four more people away that many people outside or like jd Vance had a rally but it was mostly like press people and it was just like because nobody wanted to be around them. So it's just like super awkward. But it's crazy how the ratings invigorate Trump, Like that's clearly his motivator for everything. That like spices up his attacks, Like yeah, he gets some like it really upsets him that she is having these this energy and this crowd and these donations and things, and he's still stuck on Biden. He's still posting about like Biden.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fan fishing is going to like take the nomination back at the DNC. He Yeah, he just can't. He can't see the appeal of Kamala Harris and his supporters, like his most ardent supporters can't see the appeal of Kamala Harris because they're racist, and so they can't deal with it. Like they're really having a hard time dealing like making sense of it. Like they see the massive crowd, they see people excited, and they're like those people can't exist. It does remind me of like how I think a lot of like live brained people greeted the rise of Trump in like twenty sixteen, where they were like there's no way that many people are into him because I find him abhorrent, you know, and because I thought racism was cured when we elected Obama, you know, so like they couldn't to deal with the crowd size because they just they were like, well, now he said something racist, so certainly this will be the end of his campaign. And it's like, no, no, the racism is the point, and that's why there's so many people there because America racist.
Speaker 2: Did you see that video where he called Kamala He's like in a golf cart and he called her a fucking bitch.
Speaker 1: No, do we have a video now? I know that there, it's been reported. So I want to talk about that New York Times article because that is a banger from Haberman and co. At the New York Times. They yeah, it just talked about like what they call the worst couple weeks, the worst few weeks of his campaign, and one of the one of the details was that he was but was heard calling her a bitch behind the scenes. But I did not know that. We had him on wax doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my computer is frosen right now, so I can't navigate to it. But there is there is a video of him, and it's like clear that he didn't know he was being recorded, because it was kind of like at waste level and someone outside of a golf cart is recording him, and he's in it and he's talking about how great he did at the debate, and then he calls Kamala a fucking bitch wow, very casually, and it's just like sometimes, like, you know, he is a bigot and a fascist and all of these things. But then we kind of kind of remove him from like that personhood of like that person that you see in your daily life who that actually has these like really dismissive, dehumanizing feelings, and then you see a clip of him be so casually disgusting and you're just like, oh, yeah, this is like a real person and this embodies like real people that I have interacted with in my life, and it gives you like a visceral reaction, right like anger and fear and discussed with how this person actually views women, how they actually view black and brown people and immigrants at everything.
Speaker 1: You're just like, oh, yeah, yeah, there was just a poll that said that people actually trust her more on the economy than Trump. And I don't know the strength of the policizes we can, but the way it was agreed on the right was like, well, now we have proof that they're lying. And weirdly, the poll said that people trust Trump to make them richer, but trust Harris to run the US economy better. And the New York Post is like, well, well that doesn't make any sense at all, and like not not making room for the idea that people might recognize that just like tax breaks are actually really bad for the economy overall, like if there's no taxation and is just doing the worst thing that everybody kind of secretly selfishly wants but doesn't actually benefit like the overall running of the country. Yeah, I don't know, or maybe the polls bullshit.
Speaker 2: I think the American people hold different contradictory opposing thoughts at the same time, a lot like how I think there was some pull on like how they like view or treat the border, like they want the border security, but simultaneously if you're like, hey, this immigrant came through for this reason, They're like, oh, yeah, I want them here. You know, Like the people have a hard time conceptualizing how policy affects them in a very real and day to day way, and so they can hold these opposing thoughts where they think, like the economy is this like big thing, but Trump's going to get me rich, you know.
Speaker 1: Right yeah yeah, and also they're incorrect about Trump getting you rich but yeah the day, yeah, like he's the rich money guy though, so he's going to make me rich. But uh anyways, uh yeah, I want to get to this New York Times article Haberman and co reporting on the Worst couple Weeks. It opens with him at a meeting with some of his wealthiest donors from this iteration of the Business Plot twenty twenty four, you know, because it is straight up like if he wins, like I know, like we're tired of being like this is the most important election, Like we're really fucked like he with what we've seen from the Supreme Court, like he's never going to like leave office unless he's dead. Like that's where really, that's it. So but yeah, so we've got like guys like Bill Ackman, Omid Malik, who names I didn't know before this article, but I do feel like we should name names because these people are fucking monsters. They're all like his key benefactors. And so they open this meeting. It's after Harris has joined and like kind of shot up in the polls, and they're like, obviously this has been going not great. How do we pivot? I'm assuming they said pivot, because like business guys love to talk about pivoting, and Trump's opener was, well, we got to stop the steal, which like that's not even this election. And then next he like bragged about how hard he nailed the National Association of Black Journalists panel, and they were like, what the fuck are you talking about? And then like and sort of less vibe, more terrifying news From this article, he also described the assassination attempts as potentially the Democrats trying to kill him.
Speaker 2: When it was a Republican and also we've all forgotten about that.
Speaker 1: It's crazy how quickly that just stopped being I remember like in the immediate aftermath, we were like, well, this changes everything. And then some people are like, or are we going to forget about this? Because the news cycle is so fucking crazy and just the turnover.
Speaker 2: Just the news cycle, it's him not being good at messaging or branding or like using that as an opportunity for his campaign to pivot from I'm a business guy, to pivot from all the negative.
Speaker 1: Thank you saying pivot because I need that.
Speaker 2: He wasn't synchronicity ing with the Democrats after the assassination attempt, so it's like, Okay, Trump's gonna trump, so we're just going to react to that. Yeah, yeah, a lot of what Democrats have been doing.
Speaker 1: So we're still waiting to see if he turns on JD. Vance But uh, you know, during during his mar A Lago Jazz sessh at the end of last week, he said JD's doing a great job. But according to this article, behind the scenes, when someone was like, they're calling us weird, he was like, uh, they're saying that about JD, not me. Yeah, fucking love. He's just so quick to throw people under the bus. But yeah, just generally it feels like he's in the position of wishing things were different. He wants it to be one way, but it's the other way. To quote Marlowe Stanfield, get in.
Speaker 2: Line, buddy. We're all we're all like that.
Speaker 1: I know, but he's like, really, he's usually not this transparently, Like where where that the post where he like wrote the fan fiction about Biden. He's like, Biden is so mad, he must be and he's gonna like come back and take the nomination back, and then he's gonna challenge me to a debate, but the I'm gonna beat him up in front of all everybody, and it's gonna be tough and everyone's gonna love me. Like it just felt so weird and desperate, along with the like claiming that her crowds are photo shopped and they're not, and then like the only rally that he's held is in Bozeman, Montana, and he played my Heart Will go On at the Montana rally.
Speaker 2: This was and then Celindion's people had to be like, we did not give him approval for that, stop immediately, and also why that saw.
Speaker 1: Why a Titanic song as your campaign is famously floundering, like like.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna hold onto the door and I'm shoving JD under the water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then he also like canceled ABC debate and then reversed when people made fun of him for being scared. He just feels scared and desperate and like he's like just once wants everybody to look at him and wants to change how this all is going. And I'm sure you know right now the media is like at a full one eighty from the stories they were writing about a month ago. And there are plenty of Trump advisors behind the scenes who are like, this is exactly what we predicted the day she replaced Biden. It will last through the DNC and then the energy will be over and maybe they're right, Like the Kamala thing does feel like there's a lot of energy right now, just based on the fact that people are so happy that Biden dropped out, you know, and like people like the idea of her. But I don't know, what.
Speaker 2: What do you think it's gonna I think it's gonna last because I think like white women in this country have a lot of buying power. I think that's part of the reason that like Taylor Swift is one of the largest artists of our time, and I feel like they have been really activated in a way where they can advocate for women and women of color, like they feel like they can take that on their mantle, you know what I mean. And so and you know, Brian is saying, oh, she's a cop though, but like she white women love that women love a manager or a cop, you know.
Speaker 1: I see every eighties movie with Bruce Willis or Mel Gibson. White women love a cop.
Speaker 2: White women love a cop, and they love someone who's gonna girl boss like she did when she shut down the Gaza protesters in Michigan and was like I'm speaking now. So they it's very it's very bought into by a certain demographic that I think will have the energy to carry it through the election.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, we will see. She hasn't really been with the media. So that's like the there's some Tim Wall's stuff about his military record that the Republicans are anytime a Democrat like has a military record, the Democrat, the Republicans are going to attack the shit out of it, Like John Kerry was like certified war hero, and they somehow turned that into a liability. Tim Walls just served in the military, and they're going hard after him. They got somebody who had served with him to come out and be like, he's totally fabricated everything. They Yeah, I mean it's like I'm the Daily Beast, but I haven't seen it pick up a ton of traction. But I do think that is going to be happening until the day after the election, Like they're going to be going hard off that just because they always always do because they feel like there's just something about democrats at their core that like people don't trust on military stuff, so they just like and you can always find the military is so big, you can always find somebody who's going to say somebody's like full of shit, or that they were lying about their war record, and the military is secretive enough that you can't like point to documents to like backup shit.
Speaker 2: So I think they're also going to do that about anything, right, Like, I think they're going to be like football's gay now, you know, because he was a coach.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I think they're just gonna be like, we hate sports, we hate Yeah, they're just going to be willing to give up whatever for this cult.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The So, the other mainstream narrative that's kicking up about Kamala Harris is not the Gaza stuff really. I mean there there's some references to it, but it's not the main story. But the thing that is kicking up is that she has not been very like, she hasn't had any interviews, she hasn't done at press conference, and I don't know, it feels like she's going to have to start doing something.
Speaker 2: But then on the rally, trail though, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've been just doing appearances and ads that have been I also feel like this is just the way things are now. Like Trump does interviews with only people who are going to glaze him, you know, like they're just like he doesn't do like hard interviews except for you know occasionally like that the panel. But she's like, I feel like there's also you know, people are terrified of a second Trump administration who are supporting her and probably are just like or don't do interviews, like you know, we don't want you to fuck up, so like don't so just like staying your lane and like let's keep building up the good vibes. And so she I think she's like, yeah, we'll probably put together an interview at some point, but by the end of the month. But yeah, she.
Speaker 2: Probably wants to have more control over it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally. And so like we are in a new era. Like there's an AP article about it where they're like, you know, the like Biden didn't do many press availabilities Obama. Like I remember during Obama's administration, they like the media was like it's crazy how little like access we get here. And that's because we live in a new era, like social media, like they the politicians stopped really needing the mainstream media, Like they used to have to like trade access for access for favorable coverage, and it was like a whole like game. And now they're like nobody gives a fuck what you think, Like you're not you're not Obama pro.
Speaker 2: Creator albums and musicians out on his own. He doesn't need to channel that through a sixty minutes interview.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they don't have to like do favors of granting the interview in exchange for like positive coverage anymore because no media, mainstream media figures as powerful as they used to be. But all that said, I don't think I don't think Kamalak can like coast through November without any like media availabilities. So but I think she'll she'll be fine. She always seems like she's doing she she seems like she's like really stepped up, like since Biden fucked that debate so badly, Like she all of her appearances have been like she's been really locked in. She's been like giving remarkably straight answers, which has in the past been a difficulty. I think she's I think been really good in like media availabilities. She hasn't had many, She hasn't had any since she took over. But I think like some switches flipped and she's like ready for all this shit. So I'm not that worried about it, but we shall see.
Speaker 2: I would love I would love some answers on Gaza.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all I would say, assuming that's one of the reasons that she hasn't given an interview. All right, Paula v thank you so much for joining today. Where can people find you? Follow you? See you all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: At Paula Vigan alland p A L l A v I g U n A l A N I co produce a show at the Comedy Store called Facial Recognition Comedy. Our next show is August twentieth. I won't be there, but it's going to be a really great lineup, and then we have a show after that in September on September twentieth, So please come through and support brown people who are not just running for president.
Speaker 1: There you go, all right? You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O Brian. That's going to do it for us this Monday. We're back tomorrow with a whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, get your flu shots, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow. Fight bye.