Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to another episode of the Odd Lots Podcast.
Speaker 3: I'm Joe Wisenthal and I'm Tracy Alloway.
Speaker 2: Tracy, you know, there's that theory people say it from time to time about in different contexts, different schools of thought, and kind of gets dismissed as crankishness sometimes that higher rates can be a contributor to inflation.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: Yes, And actually I'm hearing this more and more interestingly enough. So you used to hear, you know, little rumblings of it every once in a while, but I swear in the past two or three months, a lot of people have been talking about this, And I guess the basic idea here is there's always been some question about the efficacy of interest rates in the current inflationary environment. So if you think back to the twenty twenty period, the idea that we had all these supply disruptions, lots of snarls in transportation and logistics, what are interest rate hikes really going to do in that context? Right? Yeah, And some people even argue that higher interest rates are detrimental for that kind of inflation, because you make it harder for people to build out capacity. Yeah, but what's happening more recently, and I think you're hearing more talk of this is the idea that higher interest rates in and of themselves can contribute to the inflationary impulse through the interest income channel.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely so. Right, there's a bunch of people that are on treasuries and then they get a payment I guess every month, and that is income into the economy, and when you're fighting inflation, that's the more so. I think that's one of the arguments for how higher rates can be inflationary. But then there is this sort of like there is the more are read upon view that you mentioned, which is that higher rates can constrain investment and contribute to less housing and that has an inflationary impulse in a time of housing shortage. That seems to be a little less controversial. The connection is clear, but I think regardless, like I think, Okay, here we are in July twenty twenty four. Inflation has come down a lot. There's still many stories that could be told a lot about the last four years, and I don't think there are any really economists who have like nailed this cycle with some theory or whatever that it's like, Yep, they explained how it's all going to work. There are many this period. Whatever we've experienced over the last four years will be debated and argued about, and what role did higher rates have and bringing down inflation or why the will be debated by economists for like one hundred years.
Speaker 4: Probably.
Speaker 3: I find this aspect of our life right now simultaneously exhilarating and terrifying. So it's great that we're learning about how the world works. It's also terrifying that we still aren't entirely sure how interest rates work and what impact they actually have on the economy. But I am very, very interested in digging into more of this argument the interest income channel here and the actual like push and pull of higher interest rates on inflation. I think we should talk more about it totally.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm really excited. We do indeed have the perfect guest, someone we've never had on the show before, but he's someone who we get a lot of requests for on Twitter on the Outlaws Discord, someone we probably should have had a long time ago. We are going to be speaking to a Warren Mosler. He's he's an economist, former investment manager. He drives fast race cars in the Virgin Islands. Currently he's on a bike trip in Croatia, a very cool life. He is also the originator of what has come to be known as modern monetary theory. So Warren, thank you so much for coming on outlaws.
Speaker 4: Good to be here and enjoyed listening to the introduction. How do we do at all?
Speaker 2: How do we okay, we're done here? Why do you give us your Yeah? Thanks, that was great. What do you give us your summary? So someone said, people, okay, higher rates cause inflation. I think there's even you know, there's like a new Fisherian school that I think the Turkish president subscribes to. How would you des characterize what that means or what's going on?
Speaker 4: Well, I look at what is okay, look to the numbers, I look at the data, and I try and make sense of it, just like everyone else. And my narrative has been different from everyone else that's released up until recently from listening to you, and it's nothing more than that. Where to start? I wrote my first paper on this and I think nineteen ninety seven called the natural rate of Interest is zero. So it's not something new to me and myself and my partner Cliff Viner. Back in the nineteen eighties, we always used to muse about how the best indicator of what M two growth would be is live or because the interest rate itself determines the money like growth as it was measured back then. You know, there's been there's been institutional changes since, but this was back in the eighties, and so the idea that, you know, the interest rate itself was instrumental in how the price level moves over time. I'll notice I'm going to avoid using the word inflation rate. I may say inflation indicators from time to time, but that is the whole word, and term has gotten so confused by the way it's been used. You know, if tomatoes go up, that's tomato inflation or something, right, instead of just the price of tomatoes going up. That I it's not informative the way I like it to be, So excuse me for not using that word. Maybe you know as much as you all do. Yeah, So the interest rate itself has had this effect on a price level, you know, for a long time that I've observed. Okay, nineteen eighty that's forty five years, right. Something interesting happened in this cycle compared to prior cycles. Now in prior cycle is like in two thousand and eight. I was saying back then that the rate cuts, the BERNANKI rate cuts were probably not going to do much for the economy, if anything, because cutting the rates from five and a half to zero or whatever it was a time removed something like four hundred billion dollars a year of interest income from the economy, lowered the deficit by four hundred billion from what it otherwise would have been. And all that income and those net financial assets were no longer being added. So I was looking at a very sluggish recovery. I didn't see the stimulus packages being large enough to cause a particular boom. It was plenty large enough for decent growth, but not any kind of a runaway inflationary boom or anything like that. And I can recall being at the FED at a meeting, private meeting with a guy named Dave Wilcox who was talking about quantitative easy and how he didn't think would be inflationary. I said, yeah, I'm not so much worried about not being inflationary. But with the FED buying all these securities, okay, they were buying securities that had higher yields, they were paying for them with reserves, adding reserves, which is fine. It was changing the duration of the government holdings. But it went from you know, the Fed was now earning the high interest rates and the market was earning those zero percent or whatever they were paying on reserves. At the time, it was very low. And I said, you know, they're effectively taking ninety billion dollars a year of interest in come out of the economy. That might have been half a percent one percent of GDP at the time. I thought, for that reason, quantitative easing would probably slow down the economy at that point in time. And you know, that's kind of what happened.
Speaker 3: So initially prove it, you kind of looked at it from the opposite side of where we are today. So the idea that que was sucking right, rather than higher interest rates.
Speaker 4: Adding, and that it was based on the yield curve at the time and the duration of government you know, everything at the time, it was a and the data seemed to play that. And I don't know if it's just confirmation by some hypart, but it looked at me like that's what happened, and we did have this sluggish economy, and that was partially the reason that the depth SIT wasn't large enough, partially because the interest Now I'm categorically against using a positive interest rate policy to increase DEPSIT spending to support an economy because it's so obscenely regressive. When they raise rates, you know, the only thing they do is pay interest to people who already have money in proportion. I'mers, they already have, okay, and you increase depths A spending that way.
Speaker 2: Just to be clear, you may say that lower rates or CTE or whatever, that they're not particularly stimulative, but that's very different than saying, oh that a good form of stimulus would be higher rates.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'd hather have low rates and a tax cut. Yeah, you know, then high rates and attacks increase, right.
Speaker 2: Sure, So let's bring it to now.
Speaker 4: But back then, here's the point. Back then, the debt to GDP held by the public was something like thirty or thirty five percent, So a one percent rate hike or in those cases, the rate cup but a one percent change in rates, a rate hike would have added maybe thirty five basis points of income to the you know, percent of GDP to the economy. Because the debt to GDP was like thirty or thirty five percent. This time around it's one hundred percent roughly, you know, debt to GDP held by the public. Yeah, so a one percent increase in rates two and a half years ago ultimately increased interest payments by a full one percent of GDP, three times the impact of the prior cycle. So here I am saying, look, if I thought this had an impact before, now it's really has an impact. Okay, Now it's three times larger than before. This is going to be far different than anybody can imagine. And raising rates this time around is going to have a strong supporting effect on aggregate demand, you know, keeping unemployment down, you know, total employment growing, that type of thing. And at the time they increase the rate, the Fed was ranged with criticism for engaging in policy that was going to cause unemployment to go up to fight inflation. Remember that, Yeah, of course. Well, and I'm going no, they've got it backwards. This is going to bring unemployment down, This is going to bring total employment up. This is going to cause strong positive GDP growth, not a recession. Every forecast was for recession for what years, right, they were just ignoring this fiscal impact of this increase in depth at spending. Now, the only thing I could rationalize why where they get where they're getting this from is that they must have had in their deep in their model somewhere, a zero propensity to spend interest income. Right, no matter how high you raise rais, no matter how much interest you pay, there, nobody's going to spend a dime of it, and so you don't have to worry about it. And that's why they look at the primary deficit when they talk about emerging markets. They don't even count the interest income expense, right, That's all I could come up with this to why they would ignore that.
Speaker 3: Champel, can we talk a little bit more about I guess the consumption avenue of the interest income channel, because I will fully admit that it was very nice in circa twenty twenty two to finally earn positive interest on my bank account. I'm an elder millennial, so that had basically never happened to me before. However, I wouldn't necessarily say that because I was earning, you know, two to five percent on my savings that I went out and bought a bunch of additional things, and of course a lot of that was offset by the increased cost of living, increased price level for not using the term inflation. So how do you see that aspect of it playing out? People are earning more income, but does that actually translate into more demand?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's that's a good question, and that's a micro question. You know what, you look at what all the individuals who are getting it to pension funds get treasury security, you know interest, How does that translate into aggregate demand? Foreigners get a lot of interest, you know what? I hear all this that look, none of this interest is going to get spent, and so it doesn't matter. You're wrong, We're going into recession. The interest rate effects on you know, borrow wars is going to dominate, and that's going to take down the economy. And the answer is you can only look at the data and see what happens. We can both come up with a narrative of what we think the propensities to consume a ount of interest income, but we're not going to know until after it happens. And I looked at in prior cycles, the data was telling me that it's not zero, that there's a substantial amount that directly or indirectly does get spent. But that's all it is. It's a view looking at the macro data, looking at what GDP did versus what it was expected to do, looking at how the rate cuts help the economy or didn't help the economy, you know, based on what their models expected, right, and the same way those rate cuts didn't help the economy as expected back in two thousand and nine, Ish is telling me it was that four hundred billion a year of you know, income that was cut out was having a dampening effect on spending. Goes back to under Bush in two thousand, two thousand and one, when we hit that recession, they dropped interest rates to one percent and nothing happened. It didn't help. And I was actually in a meeting with Andy Carr Andrew Card, who was chief of staff at the White House in two thousand and two February March. And I'd gotten that meeting because in my car company, two of the people on the board of directors were ex engineers, one General Motors, one for a New Card personally, he was an engineer at GM, and when I talked to him about the interest income than the same way I'm talking about it to you. They said, you got to talk to Andy and set up this meeting. You know, I went to the White House. Meeting was in the West wing, and the first thing I did was just what I said to you, and what look in the economy itself when when they lowered interest rates. Okay, it helped borrowers, but it hurts savers. You know, into the penny for every dollar saved, there's a dollar borrowed in the economy. Banks have loans and deposits and their equal or somebody made an arithmetic mistake, you know, I assets and liabilities, and so you know, when you lower rates, you're just shifting income from one eneity to another. And the only way that can have an effect is that if there are differences in the propensities to spend interesting income of those two. But at the macro level, because of the public debt, when you lower rates, you're cutting the size of the depths that you're cutting total interest income in the economy. I said, I think that effect dominates, and looking at what happened in the last year in two thousand and two, you know, I wouldn't expect Race to do anything. And Carter looks at it. He goes, He says, yeah, why would anybody think that's going to work? And he says and he goes, oh, look what does work? Then I explained fiscal side, where when you spend more than the tax that is a direct ad of income and financial assets. And when you increase deficit spending proactively, any economist who pays to be right it's going to revise his forecast upward for the economy. And he says, well, how much do we need? I said, well, I think it's probably seven hundred billion annually back then, which was maybe about five percent of GDP. He says, well, we don't have much time doing it, and he said, oh, you better get started. It was got a nice note back from it was very nice. A week later, the President was asked about the deficit and he said, look, I don't look at numbers on a piece of paper. I look at jobs which came right out of our meeting. And after that. I don't know if you remember those days, but they passed every tax cut you could imagine, including retroactive tax something we never had before. People were getting tax refunds from taxes from previous years. And they passed every spending bill. They could get through Congress trying to get this deficit off to save the economy, and that included prescription drugs for medicare. So I'll take personal responsibility, even though that wasn't disgusting meeting or you know, for good government, spending all that money on prescription drugs definitely got up to two hundred billion by the third quarter, which was about my reign target number, you know, seven hundred million for the year. The economy turned around, and it didn't cost him the election. So you know, I've been on this for a while, so it's all been from a narrative and then watching the data.
Speaker 2: So true, mainstream macro economists have this concept that they call fiscal dominance, and yeah, that sounds like what you're describing.
Speaker 4: We're a little bit yeah yeah h.
Speaker 2: So basically yeah, so close enough. So I actually like, maybe I'll try to get you in trouble with some of your MMT friends here. But it sounds to me that from a policy like look, if dead to GDP were currently at ten percent right now, very very low, and you raise rates that you have some constraining effect on borrowers, and yes, you do have this interest increase in the interest income channel. But it's not that big of a deal because there just aren't many coupon payments at all that are going.
Speaker 4: Out right, exactly right.
Speaker 2: But where we are right now, is it safe to say that the size of the debt is a problem that we are in fiscal dominance, and that the size of the debt constrains the ability of monetary policy to be a balancing force in a time of inflation.
Speaker 4: More than that, I've made it backwards. It takes it away now. I had had a discussion with Paul Krugman a few years ago, and that's when he and Stephanie Calton were going at it with back in dueling editor. Remember that, Yeah, yeah, And I said to him, I said, what's you know, what's wrong with the job guarantee? You know? And he says, well, if you deficit spend for the job guarantee, the deficit could get so large that if the FED tried to raise you know, if we get inflation, the FED won't be able to use interest rates as a tool because the interest in you know, expense will be so high that that itself would cause inflation. Now, he was using that as an argument against the job guarantee and he made my argument and I said to him, yeah, I agree with you, I said, but I think we're already there for all practical purposes. And the debts GP was lower than but you know, it was at least neutral, that that interest rates were a tool. And he disagreed with me, and that's fine, And I said, in any case, you know, I support, as you know, at permanent zero rate, in which case it's moot. You know, you could spend for job guarantee without worrying about whether rate raising rates is going to do anything. And now, because you're not going to do it, you're going to just leave him at zero. But the point was he that was his new Keynesian the position out of the new Keynesian model, and it was a standard Nukenesian position yours, you know, not that long ago. You remember them all talking about anti deficit talk and how the interest payments are, you know, are unsustainable and all this stuff. By unsustainable, they always mean inflation shared, right, you know, say it in their first phrase. But that's if you drill down on them, that's what they get to. But in the last couple of years, when I asked them again two years ago. It's like, no, I don't think we're at that level. I still think that FED can raise rates to fight inflation. I said, okay, you know, we'll see. So this is this is in the new Canesian model. You know, it's just arithmetic that at some point the deficit gets high enough, the public deck gets high enough so that when you raise rates and pay more interest, you do call the interest itself cause inflation. Now, let's look at how high the deficit spending is. CBO's latest number shows seven percent of GDP, right, yeah, and I think that's just treasury. I don't think that includes FEDERI mints. So maybe it's seven and a half or something. Okay, Now, have we ever had anything anywhere near a seven percent budget deficit during an expansion? With the unemployment it's like four percent, you know, kind of record low levels. No, the only time we've gotten anywhere near this highest countercyclically when you have a collapse and then tax revenues fall off and transfer payments kicking kick in because unemployment's high. You know. Then we got to eight or nine percent in two thousand and nine, and we got to I don't know what the number was of COVID maybe fifteen percent, but normally, if you look at eight the budget DEFs, it was down to something like one percent of GDP, and that was low enough to allow the high price of oil and the other catalysts to trigger, you know, a major collapse in the financial sector, not a seven percent deps. Seven percent is like drunken sale or level of government spending. And out of that four percent is the interest expense. It's over one point two trillion, I think annually. We just passed one hundred billion for the month.
Speaker 3: So yeah, go ahead, Oh no, sorry, go on.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So look, we're right now that the depth sit seven percent in GDP, four percent of which is interest expense. Without the interest expense, if they left rates at zero would have been trending towards zero and the depicit would have been down at you know, two three four percent something still high, but not like it is now. And that to me is like it's it's unthinkable that that's not going to support a strong economy. Now, what's interesting is in the last month we've there's been a little bit of a bump in the numbers. Right the Fed Atlanta is down to one point seven percent GDP, growth's still not a reception or anything, and everybody's now looking for this collapse and FED rate cuts and everything else. And I'm sitting here, going, how can this be with a seven percent pro cyclical budget depicit? It doesn't It seems like an absurd assumption that we could have any kind of substantial weakness or really any kind of a sustained weakness in the price level. So but you know, for the last few weeks, maybe a month's, a couple of months. You know, it's certainly been plenty of indicators around the edges that things a week in and it may turn out, you know, I'm completely wrong, we have a total economic collapse with a seven percent deficit, and I can I'm seventy five this year. You'll never hear from me again, right, Well, see what happens.
Speaker 2: A good hedge, the age hedge in the long run?
Speaker 4: Where right? Right?
Speaker 2: In the short run? Out answer for any Yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Don't know what's going to happen, but I'll bet I'll be the first one to tell you that I'm just totally caught out by a recession with a seven percent deficit. You know, unless we get one hundred and fifty dollars oil or something like that. But as in some other shock, you know, I don't see how that much could be spent without GDP being strongly positive, unemployment being very low, and price pressures. Now, the other interesting thing is this one hundred billion a month only translates into about a three and a half percent of the Treasury debt as interest payment, whereas FED fundraise five and a half five and three a's, which means and T bills are somewhere around there five and a quarter five and three a's, which means that as rollovers continue, as time goes by, the depthit expands, that number is going up. Okay, even if they just leave rates alone, it will get to five three a's, you know, asseptotically, but it'll get there. And so that we're getting more and more of this, and the CBO's deficit forecasts are showing deficits higher than six percent. Put it to the future like this is like going to be interesting. That to me is at least six seven percent nominal growth. And if you think, you know, price level is going to be I don't know what you want to use PCE or something two and a half. That's that's four and a half real, Right, that's a pretty strong number. More likely you will get two to three reel and the rest will be you know, price level changes just one of the channels where the interest rate normally are. Over time, I've just noticed over fifty years they're changing the price level. The rate of inflation gravitates towards the Fed's policy rate. Over time they converge, and so with the five and a half percent rate, five and three's rate, you'll see CPI gravitating towards that interest rate, you know, towards that number five five and a half. Not in day one, you can go once without it, but over a longer periods of time, and you can think of that something like a stock split, you know, or a stock dividend where if you just pay all more shares you're getting, you know, all is equal to the value of this of an individual share goes down by that amount. Right, So if you have a two for one stock split, the price of the stock falls in half. If you're paying out five and a half percent a year on the public debt, which is the net financial assets in the economy called the net money supply in the economy, you're expanding it at five and a half percent a year through a payment of interest. There's nothing on the supply side, it's just a distribution. Then. I've just observed that over time price level gravitates upward by about that amount, and there's you know, plus or minus. So those are my expectations going forward. And if you notice CPI has leveled off at about three, you know, a quarter percent or something. It went up with COVID, it came down and then sort of leveled off. It's been going sideways here and that's about at the interest rate. You know, the effective rate on treasuries last year was about three and a half whatever it was. So to me, that's not a coincidence. It's not a surprise. It doesn't have to happen. It could have been different, you know, But it's kind of like the midpoint of my expectations as to what's going to happen with the price level. Now. PCE is a different thing, right, that includes substitution. If the price of stake goes up until people eat chicken instead but spend the same amount, you know, then there hasn't been any increase in the PCE.
Speaker 3: Just to be clear, we're recording this on a day that I've incurred something of a substantial head injury, and I was in the emergency room until late at night. But did I just hear the godfather of MMT say that large deficits can be a problem. Is that what you just said? I feel like I might be hallucinating that.
Speaker 4: Well, the deficit itself is just an accounting residual. But this, you know what the spending in any given year, Any spending has consequences. You know, if they decided to spend trillion dollars to buy eggs, they're going to drive up the price of eggs. Right. So if the government's spending on a you know, our government spends on a quantity constrained basis, Let's say they decide what they want to buy and then pay whatever they have to to buy it. That that can drive up It does drive up prices or down price. You know, all the time. That's constantly changing relative value in the act of all kinds of things. You know, there's no way about that. And we have course of taxation, right and the tax structure affects prices and affects things. So if we have right now major tax credits for solar for example, I think I get a forty percent tax credit for installing solar, So I'm putting solar panels in the USVII. The electricity is forty five cents to kill one, so it's pretty easy calculation, you know, so that I want to put in without that tax inteative from the government. So I figure it's probably not just me. So I talk to people at accounting firms, major accounting firms. Are you seeing tax time people doing this? They go, oh, yeah, We've got our own partnerships and structures where you can put money in and participate in this solar tax credit. You know. So who knows how large is open end tax credits getting and what it's affecting. So, yes, governments spending, but government fiscal policy is entirely distributional between tax liabilities and spending. It's pushing and pulling, you know, everything everywhere. It's it's it's a major determined it's it's a it's a large part of the command economy, and it's a command economy, you know, to the extent that it's there. If the government decides it wants jet planes, it's going to get jet planes right right through the tax structure to the spending structure. The pre market would not be producing jet planes without the government ordering. Right. It's everything caters to these you know, forces of government that are just on us all the time. So it's not that I'm in favor of them, but I'm just recognizing them and what they do.
Speaker 2: It sounds like, so you did you use the term drunken sailor which you think you could. Yeah, I'll go at the headline of this episode. It sounds like the issue is so a lot of spending. Yes, that creates a lot of The more spending, the more demand, prices go up. And then it's.
Speaker 4: Sound spend if you spend that market price. If you spend, you spend based on a at a fixed price. If you say, look, I'm going to spend this much for labor, you can't drive prices. You might not get any but you're not going to drive prices up that might get the government order.
Speaker 2: The government orders tanks and jets, and it also guarantees uh social security recipients a certain a certain fixed level of inflation or price level adjusted consumption.
Speaker 4: And then we become agents. We become agents because I guess SoC security of the government. You know, with no restrictions on what we do when we spend it.
Speaker 2: But it basically yeah, but it basically sounds like it's that mix of sort of conventional macro thinking in which high rates is uh deflate disinflationary plus the high levels of government spending that seems to be the cocktail for both higher upward pressure on the price level. And it sounds like over time worsening higher price level because there's a compounding effect.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's the situation at the moment. It doesn't have to be that way, but that's what I see happening right.
Speaker 3: Now in that context. And you sort of touched on this before, but I would love to hear a sort of like play by play guide here, But what should the Central Bank be doing in the current environment where we do have high fiscal deficits that might end up, you know, constraining them.
Speaker 4: So if they cut raise to zero tomorrow, then the CBO would scored as like twenty trillion of reduced you know, fiscal spending, budget cutting or whatever over twenty over ten years, probably you know, like the largest spending cut in the history of America at times ten, just by cutting rais to zero, all right, And that's got to have a well unless you assume none of that's kind of get nobody's going to change their spending because of the one point two trillion of income has been taken away. But you know, looking at the numbers I'm looking at, that's going to have a massive deflationary bias to it. It's going to be taking away all that income and all those next financial assets from the economy. It's going to be a staggering like creation of fiscal space. Let's say, I don't know how you want to put it, but just a major deflationary event. And that's not even under consideration. That's it would be considered a major inflationary event. Right. That's why I look at all the people that have looked at Japan with there's zero rates and forecasts like hyperinflation or the end went through one sixty big deal, Right, The inflation rates are lower than ours and it didn't go up and they kept zero race the whole time, but they're so forecasting hyperinflation, so they've got this bias that the low rates are going to a rate cut like that would be inflationary when it's the opposite.
Speaker 2: Well, actually, did you brought up Japan, you know, for all you know, I started really paying attention to this stuff in the mid two thousand. Yeah, you know, I heard all the tales of the widow maker trade and everyone betting on that hyperinflation and how it never happened. In recent years, Japan has seemed like the rest of the world, if for a substantial inflationary impulse, still low by international standards, but the side the stock of the national debt in Japan is very high, as we all know. And now they actually for the first time and forever, have actually seen inflation again, not that high, but again historically by Japanese standards. Is there a pump mix right now for Japan? Is there a risk that I don't know about hyper inflation? Kind of seems unrealistic that actually, if they follow conventional macro thinking and could hold rates up or move rates up to fight this inflation, that some of these disaster scenarios might actually emerge with the size of the.
Speaker 4: Debt ironically, ironically, they entirely embrace conventional macro theory, and the reason they're keeping rates down is they're worried that they might not actually be out of deflation, and so they've got to keep rates down to ensure that the inflation stays. You know, somewhere towards two. They just had it, you know, numbers from Tokyo or something that showed to lower rate and they're all panicking about a deflation. So yeah, they're there for the wrong reason, so to speak. But they're there, so we have the data. But yeah, okay, does that answer your question?
Speaker 2: But if they were to raise at some point there's like, oh, no, the inflation is not you know, if they were to raise, could that create some real unfortunate dynamic feedback loops given the stock of the.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if they ever decided to raise rates to do something with their debt to GDP, you know, they'd be throwing gasoline on the fire the way we have, except you twice as much. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wait, can we talk a little bit more. So we've obviously been focused on the interest income channel for good reason, but can we talk a little bit about the credit channel?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is important.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the impact of higher rates there because the standard economic theory is that rates go up and that makes the cost of credit. That increases the cost of credit for businesses, and so they cut back on their spending and investment. How do you view that component of interest rate function?
Speaker 4: Well, their clients of the businesses are getting flooded with interesting and come and buying their output at whatever price they need, which includes what you need to you know, for investment, to keep up your output right and to train your personnel and do whatever else you need. You know, their prices are at levels where they're sustainable, where they can pay interest expens if they need to. And so we're seeing you know, three it's not this quarter, but we've seen you know, three and four percent GDP numbers. Now first and second quarter seems to be a little bit weak. I don't know if there's something in the seasonals that aren't quite fully sorted out, but and might prove me wrong, but I think, you know, the first quarter was one point four right due to inventory selling off inventories because they believe the economy wasn't going to be strong, so they didn't replace their inventories. Now they have to replace them. We'll see what happens in the second quarter. But anyway, so that's a narrative you had, but the data hasn't. It hasn't played out because the income of their clients has been high enough to buy their output at a price that they like, you know, that they're comfortable with. They've had good pricing power and covers these added expenses from the interest expenses and interest related expenses that you were talking about. But like it, so if you're spending enough, is throwing enough gasoline on the fire. Yeah, you're it's going to burn.
Speaker 2: But like so just on the private sector side a little bit more like as you know, one of the key themes that you talk about is these are distributional questions or the effects of a lot of these policies are distributional. And you mentioned maybe economists think there's no propensity to consume interest income, and maybe there's some good reasons for that because it's you know, most the wealthy people own the treasuries and banks and stuff like that. But in there's consumer credit, there's cars. We know that housing has slowed down. It does. Housing has slowed down substantially. It does seem like there are many parts of the US economy.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, they have there a loss that they.
Speaker 2: Have responded to these higher rates by.
Speaker 4: Yes, fishing their activity. Yes, there are winners and losers. If you just look at the losers, you could maybe conclude by projection or confirmation bias, that the whole country is losing. But it's not. It's just shifting to different areas. You know. Rolls Royce has like a I don't know, two three four year backlog of sales, right, yeah you would, yeah, yeah, I read it in the Wall Street Journal. I yeah, in bloom I'm in Bloomberg. I read it on Bloomberg.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: What are you driving these days?
Speaker 4: What? What?
Speaker 2: What race car are you in driving these days?
Speaker 4: I've been driving a twenty fifteen Nissan Leaf for electric car for a while, you know, because on the island you can't thirty five mile hour speed limit. And uh, but what do you drive on the track. I haven't been on the track since I turned us for the last since I turned fifty two, I think, okay, so you know I haven't. I don't race on the track anymore, got it. But I used to drive things at burn guests. I have my own cars, you know. I had the Mosler Empty nine hundred, which I would run on track days. I never ran it real races. I used professional drivers, you know, but in amateur racing I would drive it, and I would drive our consotly ers. I used to say, these cars can win races even with me driving.
Speaker 2: We should another episode, can we Would you ever come back to talk about when you had a race car your car company? Sure, Oh yeah, that'd be fun, that'd be really This looks like a sweet the Mosler empty. This is beautiful.
Speaker 4: How many of them?
Speaker 2: This is a beautiful car.
Speaker 4: There were fifty or sixty and you know I stopped making the empty nine hundreds in I don't know, ten fifteen years ago. But so there's still racing, So I can the Spanish GT and the British GAT. They're still winning races, you know, against the latest and greatest, and you know the car is twenty years old, so there's still a top performance car in the world where they let them run.
Speaker 3: So just going back to interest rates for a second.
Speaker 2: Moving away, it seems way more boring now than I know.
Speaker 3: I know this question is inevitably going to like fall flat, but it does feel like we're sort of talking about the economy is not a monolith. So you have these interest rate sensitive portions of the economy like housing, yes, that that are affected by rate rises, and then you have pockets that are more insensitive and maybe we don't have the balance of those two things exactly right, or maybe traditional economics hasn't done a good job of taking like those individual portions of the economy and netting them out into a cohesive picture of the actual effect of interest rates on them.
Speaker 1: How do you like?
Speaker 3: I guess this has always been sort of a criticism of MMT, But how do you take those disparate ideas and sort of make them into a useful theory of economics? Does that make sense?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Well, look, the whole composition of GDP changes all the time, and it's driven, as I touched on before quite a bit, by fiscal policy deciding what the government wants. So if the government wants more solar panels, puts a big tax credit, unlimited tax credit, we'll see how large that is, you know, when it's smoke clears. But I think it's gonna be a lot larger than anybody realized. If you notice government revenues have been flat in a booming economy, that's never happened. It's got to be tax credits of some sort of you know, working out there. So the composition is going to follow the money. And if the money's going to those you know, earning interest, then that's where the composition is going to go. And you'll see more high end purchases, You'll see more things that sort that group of people. There'll be you know, all kinds of investments in that direction, and that's what we're seeing. So again, it's about following the money, and the government policy directs to a large extent, where the money goes. And right now we've got over a trillion dollars a year going to interesting, which is more than defense and more than Social security and everything else.
Speaker 2: Right, I just have one last question, and this is more in the category of Warren Mosler lore rather than it is in interest rates. But we're in the studio right now, and I looked up and I saw on Fox Biz, which we have on TV, Art laugherers on there. Isn't it true like you were like friends with him? Isn't there some story with you and Art where like you had some important insight that led you to MMT thinking from a chat with Art.
Speaker 4: Well, I was looking for somebody to write up what became soft currency economics interesting. I wrote. This was in nineteen ninety three, and I went to my ex boss an that Janata from William Blair, and he sent me over to Rummy. Don Rumsfeldt was his nineteen fifty four Princeton roommate. They were on a football team and wrestling team something together, and they'd been good friends. So I had a meeting. I called his office and he was real busy. The only time he had was an hour in the steamroom at the Racket Club in Chicago, so I went out and met him there. So we're sitting in our towels in the steamroom going through softcurt see economics, and he then gave me a list of his economists that he thought would be a good place for me to go. And our Laugher was on that list, and his guys were like Paul McCracken and Samuelson. I mean, these were not anybody on my rollodecks. And I contacted a few of them, and Laugher agreed to do it in exchange for twenty five thousand dollars would help me write this thing, and he assigned Mark McNairy. So I got to know Art a little bit, and because we talked quite a bit on these things, and it turns out he's an ex university a Chicago professor, and he knew all this stuff. He knew learner and functional finance, and you know, long before I met any of the academic and you know, he agreed with it. He signed Tom Nugent to cover me because he was always looking to do business. I went to a little conference where he was and he got up to talk and he said, I'm going to give the talk on money, and I'm going to tell the money story. He says, And Tom and Warren and he points to us disagree with me, he said, and they're right, and I'm wrong, but this is the way I tell it. And he went and told the story about how banks take in deposits and make loans, you know, completely backwards. And then hesus a talk and look at him, like what was that. He says, well, you know I told everybody you were right and I was wrong. He said, like, what do you want? It's like, okay, So I don't know what's going on with our laugher. But he did say the the problem with the laughter curve was it only worked at the very extremes. So he was very like, you know, reasonable about everything. You know, he's a very easy guy to talk to, and you know self deprecating in many ways, and you know, you know, yeah, it worked out well. Mark was very good and he wrote and I edited, He wrote and I edited. Did it. We came up with the soft currency economics thing, and it didn't help. I thought having Laughter's name on it and whatnot might give it more attention, more media attention. But I don't think it made any difference. But you know, they say you have to kiss a lot of frogs, and that was just one of those, one of those times.
Speaker 2: Lauren Mosler, so great to have you on. I swear we will. I would honestly love to do an episode just about Mosler Automotive and just talking about the business.
Speaker 3: I just want to hear a day in the life of Yah.
Speaker 4: Well, okay, so Joe, I mean got in my FOD. We met at a dinner UMKC maybe or some.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was, I was at UMKC.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: I think it was twenty fifteen. No, it couldn't have been twenty fifteen, twenty twelve or twenty thirteen.
Speaker 4: That sounds right. Yeah, it's long ago. I don't remember.
Speaker 2: Those were fun days. Yeah, so great to finally have you on the podcast and enjoy Sure you're going to be vacationing neck.
Speaker 4: Okay, thanks, take care.
Speaker 2: Tracy, the godfather of MMT, says the government is spending like drunken sailors and that it's created it's contributing to inflation.
Speaker 3: I'm still not entirely convinced that this isn't like a hallucinary output from your forehead from my head injury. But wow, okay, I mean, I do think it is not hard for me to envision a world in which companies pass on higher interest rate costs to consumers. We've talked on the show about companies passing on higher input costs and things like that. So that part of it I can believe. And the other part that does seem intuitive to me right now is this idea of a tiered economy where people who do have a lot of financial assets and are earning a lot of income on those financial assets do spend on certain things like, as Warren mentioned, luxury items like a lot of that makes intuitive sense.
Speaker 2: So definitely, And look here's where like I think I would need more exploration. So there are aspects of it, like clearly interest income is a real thing, more deficit spending, which more interest income entails is on the net, going to be stimulative at the margin. But rich people or people with financial assets also just care about the price of their financial assets.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: And so when we did see, you know, they really jacked up rates aggressively in twenty twenty two, and stocks did decline, And I think stock prices probably influence real estate prices. They've certainly, you know, we haven't had a housing crash, but real estate in many realms has been stagnant, or if you're in multifamily or commercial real estate, then you probably have seen some price declines in the And so I do think that like that is an offsetting factor. And then I also think that while it's certainly true probably that the propensity to spend interest income is not zero, it is probably somewhat low, given that we're talking about people who already have a lot of money and income, Whereas the propensity to spend among people who are paying high interest rates, either through car payments or credit card payments, et cetera, is probably much higher and therefore impaired by higher rates. So while I certainly get the theory and I think there's probably something to it, I still like would need more a little bit more convincing that the distributional effect of this change in spending is on net inflationary. But it's interesting ideas.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I think that's a really fair assessment. And I think like the composition of wealth matters. So you can say that there are all these treasuries in the world. I can't remember the exact number, but like thirty trillion dollars or something like that, and people earn income on those treasuries, but each individual person is probably not holding a pure treasury portfolio, as you say, like personal wealth will be comprised of real estate, which is affected by higher interest rates, stocks which also go up and down depending on interest rates. And so yeah, it seems like there's there's a sort of like net or sorry, there's a compositional complexity there that we still need to work out.
Speaker 2: And speaking of financial assets that go down, the treasuries themselves, Oh yeah, because you learn the first day you joined Bloomberg when rates go up, price goes down.
Speaker 3: That's right. We should start adding that into all of our news stories again, like we used to, just to hammer the second.
Speaker 2: Yields up price it done. I also just really like I I do want to do an episode on Warren Mosler lore because he kind of seems like a really cool guy who has a fun life.
Speaker 3: We should we should go to the island, and go to the island.
Speaker 2: Those the mostly Mt nine hundred looks absolutely sick. Have you not look at that?
Speaker 4: Up?
Speaker 2: I'm not a car, but that's a sick looking car that you built. Yeah, yeah, there's no joke like that is a sick looking car.
Speaker 3: The one on Wikipedia is a very bright greer.
Speaker 4: It's beautiful.
Speaker 3: Okay? Should we leave it there? Should we stop admiring the cars and leave it there?
Speaker 4: Let's leave it there? All right?
Speaker 3: This has been another episode of the Odd Loots podcast. I'm Tracy Alloway. You can follow me at Tracy Alloway.
Speaker 2: And I'm Joe Wisenthal. You can follow me at the Stalwart. Follow our producers Carmen Rodriguez at Carman Arman dash Ol Bennett at Dashbot and Keil Brooks at Keil Brooks. Thank you to our producer Moses on Them. For more odd Lots content, go to Bloomberg Odd Lots, where we have transcripts of blog and a newsletter and you can chat about all of these topics. Twenty four to seven in our discord a lot of MMT fans in there, so it'll be interesting to see how they react. Go to discord dot gg slash out Lots and if.
Speaker 3: You enjoy odd Lots. If you like it when we talk heterodox economics, then please leave us a positive review on your favorite podcast platform. And remember, if you are a Bloomberg subscriber, you can listen to all of our episodes absolutely ad free. All you need to do is connect your Bloomberg account with Apple Podcasts. In order to do that, just find the Bloomberg channel on Apple Podcasts and follow the instructions there. Thanks for listening. Eight