Speaker 1: The Knickki Glaser Podcast.
Speaker 2: Niki Glaser, Nikki, Hello here, I am welcome to the show. It's the Nikki Glazer Podcast. I'm Nikki Glazer. I'm in Saint Louis. Brian Frangie is in Los Angeles again. You're back home back after the holiday. Then are you going out again for the holiday?
Speaker 1: Back there?
Speaker 3: I'm going to Chicago for Christmas? To all that makes sense?
Speaker 1: The old switch, the old switch Aroo.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Someone had a tweet that like said something about Thanksgiving and Christmas being so close together is fucking insane. For how we have to see these people that close together. I forget whose tweet it was.
Speaker 3: It was someone home for a full month. I went just back full time, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense. Why not just stay? It's Christmas is here and Thanksgiving was yesterday.
Speaker 3: Christmas Time one of the best Christmas songs of all time.
Speaker 2: I really like Christmas Time. But we'll get into that in a second. Noah is here from Arizona. Hey, Noah, Hi, Hey, And we have a special guest today, a really good friend of mine who I don't get to hang out with us nearly as much as I would want to.
Speaker 1: I feel like if we were in the same city.
Speaker 2: We'd beginning we'd be like, I don't know, whenever I would run unto you, it just is like so easy to hang out with you. So it was an instant yes when I heard that you wanted to come on the pod and like talk about your new special coming up.
Speaker 4: It's Carmen Lean, thank you, greetings from Astoria, greeting.
Speaker 1: What stop on the Are you the last? The laugh on me too?
Speaker 2: I was dit Mars you can fall asleep thirty six and dit Mars you could fall asleep on that train and not worry about missing your stops.
Speaker 1: It'll just hit it.
Speaker 4: And it sucks because the stop before stops for like ten minutes.
Speaker 1: Do you ever notice that? It's like, oh yeah, can you stop at the end? Yes?
Speaker 2: I loved that stop. I love Tavernat yeah yeah. And there was a Starbucks that I frequented many times. There's a CVS that's enjoyable. I loved that. I like that train. By the way, the n Q is like clean. I like those blue seats. It feels like it's probably my favorite train.
Speaker 4: It's still are Yeah, there's a it's still oh no, that's the or that's the previous stop the staples.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, but.
Speaker 4: You would die now. And there's there they just opened up Burlington. They're putting in a target. There's an eye hog.
Speaker 1: It looks like a lall. Now it's crazy. They're not messing around. It was already like up and coming.
Speaker 2: But they've just fucking committed to Like that's there's tons of people at that end there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now a target.
Speaker 2: I would always get scared to go to targets in New York City because it just seems like it would just be so picked over, so run.
Speaker 1: Down, so chaotic. But I love a target so much.
Speaker 2: And I I always say that if you get out of a target without spending eighty dollars, you spent no money at target. Like if it's under eighty dollars, it's zero money spent. Yeah, but eighty is what like you have to at least spend eighty at a time.
Speaker 1: That's where I feel like, oh my gosh, it less than eighty. This is I just won money.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I don't even have to go into the city now to go shopping. Like if you need something, there's also a tech yeah too.
Speaker 2: Oh Burlington and TJ Max. I mean and because Burlington they're more than greatcoats. I've heard that now they they do more. It's like TJ Max pretty much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pretty much for Nordstrom, it's I mean, they're all pretty much the same.
Speaker 2: They're just you feel like you're bargain hunting. You feel like you like are kind of thrifting in a way because it's so much different stuff and you can find good things because some of the sale racks are really disheveled. So there isn't an element to it that makes you feel like you're like combing for good deals like searching through a landfill, which you pretty much are searching through a future landfill. But it isn't that like the kind of the appeal of the Nordstrom rack or the TJ Max or the Burlington or the Raw Stress for less, is that there is a thrifting element to it.
Speaker 1: Oh totally. And I love that you call it raw stress for least, not just ross, Like, yeah, that's like, I don't go there, it's just an la. I don't know, man.
Speaker 2: I guess someone called it rd f l ur DFL. Someone was calling it the summer and I was like, oh, that sounds cool. Yeah, it's those places. And then thrifting just makes your hands feel dirty. So that's where I thrifting. My hands feel musty at the end of it, going through so much wrecks and then your hand's hurt. You get like cardio from it. And then going to a departments or a place that just has a couple clothes, like if we're talking like a Nordstrom, that is not like you're not digging.
Speaker 1: You're not.
Speaker 2: You don't feel like you've struck gold when you find something good, Well, it's so layed out for you.
Speaker 1: It's so cheap that it feels good to go through it.
Speaker 4: Like I don't like go into the expensive places, Like if I have to go to somewhere pricey, I'd rather just do that.
Speaker 1: Stitch fix. Do you ever do stitch fix?
Speaker 2: I did it a couple times, like in twenty thirteen, where they kind of pick out outfits for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then if you don't like them, you just shove them into a bag and send them back.
Speaker 1: I have success with it when I did it.
Speaker 2: I don't know why I haven't done it again because I did wear those things for a really long time. That's so nice too, because shopping is exhausting and hell, how often do you open your closet even after a like you recently think you spend a lot of money in clothes and you go, I have nothing to wear. It's like it's it's yeah, it is. Shopping is hell. And Noah, we've talked about how you're like, I don't know how to dress like a woman my age, and I realized, like we don't need to. I was realizing, like the way the how old you are is how old? And I know people have said this before. This isn't novel, but it's really like how old you feel? Like I talk about we were talking I think we talked about on the podcast, or maybe it wasn't about. Some woman had a brain injury that like a like a steel rod went through her brain and damaged a part of her brain that gave her short term memory, and so she would restart it constantly and she instantly became an ultra Marazon runner because she couldn't. She always thought she had just started the marathon. So if you always think you just start something, your body can go way longer. So much of so much of your mental or your physical fatigue is based on the fact that you know, I've been running twenty miles.
Speaker 1: I have five to go. My body's falling apart.
Speaker 2: But if you were to have a brain that just even with your same amount of effort you put in, have a brain that thinks you just started running, you will have more stamina. So I think that applies to aging too, Like if you dress and act young and like actually feel like you're young, you'll you'll kind of look it like you'll possess.
Speaker 3: I've seen some old folks dressed young and they look silly.
Speaker 1: I think they're not really they're not owning it then, Yeah, but it only looks weird.
Speaker 4: It looks weird to see like a seventy year old woman I like Forever twenty one.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is Dolly Parton even and you were just like, oh honey, that's not comfortable.
Speaker 3: About like a fifty nine year old man with a baseball cap, sandals and like a v neck who has like children. I just feel like when I see a guy like that, I'm like, man, you are you're in the wrong decade here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean some people are holding on to dress the wardrobe that they had. Yeah, they're holding onto the wardrobe that they had when they had the most clothes and they're the most comfortable in it. It was like they thought, I'm not trying to disparage them.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying it does look silly, but you have to be okay with that. But I am going to disparage any man who wears sandals at any time for any reason, even the beach.
Speaker 1: Never your man should never wear sandalst care how I don't mind flip flops on a guy.
Speaker 4: No, that's cave at the beach, but not like do you ever go, like when you're on stage, Nikki and you look down in the front guy they're wearing flip.
Speaker 1: Flops and they put it. They put their feet on stage all the fucking time. It's a control thing. Like it is a control thing.
Speaker 2: This guy the other day, he like had a he said some line that was actually kind of helpful. It was like a good tag or something, and I go, I'll allow you to.
Speaker 1: Keep your fucking foot on. I was like, you've.
Speaker 2: Earned that, that entitled stance that you already had before you even said that nice thing. But yeah, there there's always it's rarely a woman putting her foot up on the stage to got that say.
Speaker 1: They talked wo talk. It would be like like, yeah, women are so chatty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and to you last night, I had some chatterboxes just trying to help or just I think they were just jazzed about part like they were just like yes, girl like, which is a nice thing.
Speaker 3: But I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they it was distracting, but they didn't know they were just And then it ended up being funny because I talked to them, but and I think insulted one of them because they were both like. I was like, oh, look at these young this young girl, and then they were both kind of together and and the other one piped up and said something like we're young, and I go, not you. I was talking to her and she felt so much she was older than the other girl, and I was like, I wasn't looking at you.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I wasn't not saying you look bad.
Speaker 3: But the proportion of men who put their foot on the stage to women is the same as the proportion of men to women in the lineup.
Speaker 1: In a line like in a in the show and.
Speaker 2: The show Yeah, oh interesting, possibly a lot of math.
Speaker 1: I had to think about that one for a second.
Speaker 2: Carman as a female comic, and this sounds like I'm starting out as a joke, but like, I'm actually commenting on the question that we get a lot about being female comics, are we My answer is always like yeah, exactly. My answer is always I just I never like thought of myself. I only recently thought of myself as like, I'm a female comic this, and I guess recently meaning the past seven years. But I always just was like, I guess I was living under the susumption that everyone viewed me the same that they view male comics.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 2: I didn't even think of anything different about it until people made it a thing, and then I was like, oh, I guess it's the special thing. And I flipped it into being like, oh, it's nice because there's less of us, so you stand out more, and like there's good things about less women doing, even though I think that's bad overall. And also it's special because all my favorite comics are mainly female comics, and so I'm like, oh, I'm in a category of the ones I like the most.
Speaker 1: But what do you do with that question? I mean, I don't think about it either.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's like being in New York and you're just surrounded by so many comics but I don't think about it until someone brings it up.
Speaker 1: And now especially it's not even a thing.
Speaker 4: There's so many female comics that really it just feels like after COVID, like, yeah, there's a million more comics and a million funnier people, and a lot of them are women.
Speaker 1: So I don't even think about it. Yeah, it's a good point. I do you ever.
Speaker 2: I was having like a little bit of an existential moment this weekend with Emil Joaquin my opener this weekend. We were like talking about, like do you ever think about like you have to like go on stage and like all these people are staring at you and like you're up there and you have to like talk for an hour and like entertain them, and how fucking we it is. And I was like, he says something about that, and I go, Emil, I never let that in, Like.
Speaker 1: I know that beginning of that thought. I don't fu. And this is the difference.
Speaker 2: I think this is the difference between people who look at comedians and go I could never do that, and comedians. And I'm not saying it's for every comedian. I don't even I talked about Fargo last week and how I don't think about that mass man with the hammer, like I just put him out of my he goes, he shows up in my mind and I go, I'm not letting you in, because if I let you in, I'm not sleeping tonight.
Speaker 1: So the same thing with thinking about.
Speaker 2: How I'm on stage talking and everyone is just like wrapped with attention, quiet.
Speaker 1: Staring at me.
Speaker 2: If I let that in too much, I will implow that's insane.
Speaker 1: Who the fuck would ever do that? No, because once you start thinking that way, you can't get it out of your head.
Speaker 4: Like if I put a sweater on and then I'm like, what if I sweat on stage? I'm like, forget it now, I'm gonna think about sweating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the second you realize you forgot deodorant, yeah, start being drenched in it.
Speaker 1: It's all mental.
Speaker 2: But I think it is interesting because I think so many people watch comedians and go, wow, I could never do that. That all those people are watching you, Like that's what you get told by people who you know, your friends and family, who go, I can't believe you can do it, all those people staring at you, and you go, actually, I don't know how I do it either, because that's fucking terrible.
Speaker 1: It's not that I'm not terrified of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just I read something last night actually that Oh I'm reading this book called Letting Go, and it's he talks about a fear of public speaking, and he realized he had a huge fear of public speaking, and he realized the fear turned into I can't, like he was really just scared of it. So then he started saying, I can't do it. I'm just one of these people that doesn't. I can't do it. My voice goes away, I start shaking. I'm different than everyone else. And then he started kind of challenging that and being like, is it that I can't or is it that I won't because I'm scared of all the things that could happen. And then, which I thought was a really good advice for anyone who's scared of public speaking, he started thinking about how most public speakers are boring, Like his big fear was being boring to someone and have people go like, oh, this sucks, and he's like, well, and I think of all the speeches I've listened to in my life, most have been boring. And I don't hate those people. They're still alive, living good life. Nothing happened if you're boring, so just do it. And so then he started doing it and not being just releasing the fear, which is easier said than done, but he just was like, fear is a thing that I'm choosing to focus on. If I release it, it's not there. It's only there if I make it in my mind. So I'm gonna let it go and I'm gonna do it. And then he started doing public seeking. He got obviously more adept at it and was like it was easier, and then he started saying one time he had that fear again of being boring, and so right before he talked, he was like, I'm not the best public speaker, but I can assure you.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: He was getting feedback that he was boring, like his biggest fear, and then he survived it, right, and he was like, Okay, I guess I'm a boring speaker, but at least I can do this thing I said I couldn't do before and I'm boring, but who cares.
Speaker 1: He literally heard back that he was boring his biggest fear. He survived it.
Speaker 2: So then the next time he gets on stage, he goes I've been told I'm a decent public speaker, but I've been told I am one of the most boring speakers that you'll ever listen to.
Speaker 1: And everyone laughed, and he goes.
Speaker 2: The second they all laughed, I realized I had made a human connection with everyone in the room, and the gift of laughter and being able to incite that laughter made us all one and all connected. And I realized that their laughter meant they were rooting for me. They were on my side, which is always the advice I give about public speaking is that no one wants to see you do bad unless there's like an evil person in the.
Speaker 1: Back of the room.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I mean I had public speaking fears where I was and like had to give I had to go in during recess to give my presentations because my parents called ahead and said, Nikki cannot talk in front of people.
Speaker 1: Wow, and she won't Wow. Really, I'm sorry, go ahead, go ahead, No, No, that's it, bitch. All I started, I was standing. I started stand up, though.
Speaker 4: Were you nervous, Like I was so nervous, and people are like, I could never do that, I'd be so nervous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were nervous. Yeah, we had to overcome it.
Speaker 2: It was like a desire to do it was like, that's standing though.
Speaker 3: The wolves.
Speaker 2: You sign up like you sign up if like Noah, you just don't have the desire to be heard enough to overcome it. Yeah, is what I'm saying, Like we all have exactly what you have, but we have this thing of like I want I need to be heard so bad or I want to perform so badly that I'm going to overcome this fear of whatever where you haven't done in certain ways in your life because the desire had been stronger than the fear.
Speaker 3: I would imagine you really just have to do it a surgeon. Like when I think of a surgeon cutting into somebody or doing an open hard surgery, I'm like, how the fuck do you trust yourself to do that? How could you dig into someone's body and do that thing? And then it's just like well, after you do it like thirty times, it's just like a pile of meat.
Speaker 1: They just have a desire to cut. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I actually have operated on my mom's corn one time with a razor I bought on Amazon, a scalpel I bought on Amazon because I like am obsessed with watching videos of people getting their like foot corns dugout like it's just soothing to me, Carmen, it's weird. So I thought, based on me watching all these videos, I thought I had like an expertise, and I cut my mom's foot just very like nicked it a little bit and it is still not healed and it's like two and a half years later.
Speaker 1: Wow, guys, it was bad. I had the confidence of a surgeon.
Speaker 3: This is TikTok's problem. Everyone thinks they're confident enough to do anything just watching for you. Oh YouTube, same same thig.
Speaker 1: Did you radio tape? Did you video tape and put it up? No? That would have been good, though.
Speaker 2: I needed, like god, if I would have made content out of it, all of.
Speaker 3: Those videos on YouTube where they're doing self help or how to and they're like, you can do it too. All you have to do is follow these steps. You can't do it. Do not follow the steps. You're gonna cut your mom's foot off, go to a professional.
Speaker 2: Until then, man, I was so satisfied though. It felt so good. I there have been because I have obsessions with like digging someone's like war out, Like Carmen, it's weird, but I don't think more.
Speaker 1: Like popping something. No, no, I'm not into popping.
Speaker 2: I'm into like a dried out, crusty bore that I just want to like dig off the callus skin and like dig it out. It's it's my obsession. Like if I if I could pay to go do it, I would, but you need like a medical license.
Speaker 1: But I swear to god. There was a fan one time who came to the show, and I'm how excited she gets when she talks about this.
Speaker 2: I love this, and she she was like, I've got She sent me pictures of her planner war like. She was like, I will let you dig this out backstage like I don't care, and I was like I want to. It was almost like I felt like I was cheating, Like someone was like being like it was like zach Evron being like I'll let you fuck me, like I'm here to fuck you.
Speaker 1: And I was like, I want to so bad.
Speaker 2: It's not that I don't want to, I just can't because I will ruin everything. Mickey read It felt like this dilemma inside me.
Speaker 1: You have so many fans.
Speaker 4: I bet you anything, people would line up to let you pop.
Speaker 1: There's there whatever I know.
Speaker 2: But I can't because I'm gonna I'm gonna give them an injury that will they'll be walking around with for two years. Like I'm not good at this, Like I need to go learn I need to do with a podiatrist.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's how people learn to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I wish there was like community college courses, like I don't have to go to.
Speaker 4: You just need a tube of meospourn and warm water and super glue.
Speaker 1: You're right, Okay, you.
Speaker 3: Don't even really know what the credentials are of the YouTube person you watch. That could have just been some.
Speaker 1: Person all doctors. It's doctor foot fixer.
Speaker 3: That's what they say.
Speaker 1: Doctor trust in an office.
Speaker 2: Yes, there are people that go in they talk like doctors. They're like narcissistics like doctors. They seem sociopathic in a certain way. These are exactly the people you should trusts doctor's foot fixer.
Speaker 3: I am authorizing you to do surgery on your mother?
Speaker 1: Was that name not taken before?
Speaker 2: They have never get told us how to do it. They are just talking about it because they know that we're at home jerking off to this stuff. Like they know they always do it instructionally, Like this is how to do it if you're another doctor watching. But it's really like, you know, there are sickos at home like me, just drooling over you cutting out this old woman's sport and her talking about her afternoon.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's fucking sick, but I long for it. That content.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have more with Carmen Lynch and about her two comedy specials that are coming out on YouTube on Mark Norman's YouTube page. One is coming out the fifteenth, and then the other or sorry, the twelfth versus The twelfth is the English version, and then there is a Spanish version coming out the fifteenth, and those are all on Mark Norman's YouTube page.
Speaker 1: It's not the Spanish. He's not getting the Spanish one.
Speaker 4: I'm just kidding Spanish. A Spanish platform called Feeling Mean, Feel Mean Feel are filming filming Feeling Me.
Speaker 1: It's amazing. Okay, well we'll get into all that when we get back with Carmen Lynch after this. All right, we're back.
Speaker 2: Carmen Lynch has two specials coming out, one in English, one in Spanish. The English one you can check out almost so soon on the twelfth. What's the what's the day?
Speaker 1: Of that. That's a Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Oh so Tuesday the twelfth. Check that out on Mark Norman's YouTube page. And you should be following Mark Norman anyway, so you'll see it once you do that.
Speaker 1: And then where did you film it? At the cellar at the v at the Village Underground?
Speaker 3: Nice?
Speaker 1: And what did you do?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Okay, because I'm about to tape a special right on the sixteenth, so I'm in like a special prep mode. Tell me, I'm gonna make this about me, even though this should be about you, but I I just because I want to.
Speaker 1: I'm like dying. My life is special? Right now?
Speaker 2: Was your life a week and a half out of taping your special?
Speaker 1: Special? Like?
Speaker 2: Is your life? Like every time you close your eyes you're thinking about it? Every time you open your eyes, there's something to work on. Oh my god, what am I gonna wear?
Speaker 1: Oh my god? What am I gonna do? This joke? But like, how's the order? How am I going to remember that? All that? Was it? All that?
Speaker 4: But it was like the day I booked the date at the Village Underground, so like six months before or like four monthssion, Well, think about it because like this is my first one you've done a ton, so.
Speaker 1: God, that surprises me. That's okay.
Speaker 2: Yes, albums are similar, but yes, special obviously a lot more pressure. It's yeah, there's a lot writing on this, there's someone who's producing it, all these things.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah.
Speaker 4: And I wanted to do it before COVID, and then COVID happened, and then I just kind of pushed it, like, you know, I did a bunch of late nights and I just was in that mentality where like, things just happened, so I wasn't in the mode of like, no, you got to do it yourself.
Speaker 1: And I kept.
Speaker 4: Pushing that back and pushing that back, and then I read The War of Arts.
Speaker 1: Did you ever read that? Oh? Boy? I was in a story on when I read that book. I was at that store bucks reading that book.
Speaker 3: I think when we read that book.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, oh my god, it was all about resistance.
Speaker 4: And then I wanted to do the book out the window because everything he said was resistance.
Speaker 1: I was doing, oh, every little thing, and I was.
Speaker 2: Like, I remember putting down the book because I'm like, reading this book is me resisting work.
Speaker 1: Like, don't you know?
Speaker 2: Like I eventually put it down because I was like now I feel bad even fucking reading a book because I.
Speaker 1: Should be working right now.
Speaker 2: Like this is just me trying to create an obstacle from doing what I need to do because of fear again, fear and in the guilt.
Speaker 4: Like I painted a lot during COVID, and I had that voice that was like, what do you Why are you enjoying your life?
Speaker 1: You should be writing at jocks and I'm like, yeah, I just want to paint. Leave me alone, dude.
Speaker 2: I mean it's That's the problem with comedy or doing stand up comedy or any kind of job that you don't leave at work, is that when you are not you could be working on it any time, So there is never y. It's like having kids or having a dog that's constantly looking at you, like you just took it for a walk, but it's like, but we could go again, and you go, okay, I feel now I'm guilty again, even though I think I just did this.
Speaker 1: There's it never ending guilts.
Speaker 3: You're also if you're not a made person, like you're also just have to constantly be working just to see if you get paid at all.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, don't stop and then you go home.
Speaker 4: I mean you you just leave the room or wherever you are and you're like, okay, stop and then you're like, no, it's still going.
Speaker 1: I'm still Oh my god.
Speaker 2: You know, Carmen, it's interesting to me because I do relate to you know, it's just been I guess kind of have been floating along. I don't have to I get I get the I've had that in my life too, where it's like, okay, things are coming in. I was on least coming standing, as were you tonight's show appearances. You you have little letterman. Conan's like like, I'm working at your working regular at the seller, Like I'm not like really wanting for like the the next thing will come when they email me about it. And I think I was at that point too, at a certain point where I was like, oh no, they unless you make it. You gotta build it if you want them to come, like this, or just saying totally.
Speaker 4: Not coming, they're not coming, Like that was the day where I was like, they're not coming.
Speaker 1: Just they're not coming. Just do it, just do it, you know what you have to lose.
Speaker 4: And then I did the Spanish one because I was so obsessed with the English one. I was like I need something to just calm me down. Why didn't I just do it in Spanish?
Speaker 1: Tape first the.
Speaker 4: Village Underground, and then three weeks later I went to Spain and I shot up the Spanish one.
Speaker 1: Wow, oh my god.
Speaker 3: So is it the is the material the same and just one's in a different language or is it totally different?
Speaker 4: It's about seven I'd say it's about seventy five percent the same.
Speaker 3: Can you give me an example of one English joke that you needed to like change the syntax or the words of in Spanish so that it would be funny, because it wouldn't have been funny otherwise.
Speaker 4: I mean not so I ahead, but it would just be more like I flipped the words around, or I had to describe a little bit more sometimes like the subtleties, the subtleties or the sarcasm, they don't translate.
Speaker 1: And also I grew up.
Speaker 4: In Spain until I was eight, so my Spanish is like that's the first thing I say when I get on stage.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I talk like an eight.
Speaker 4: Year old Spanish girl, Like, yeah, I'm eight, So my my version of translated is different from eight year old's vocabulary and They're like, no, we love it because I used to be obsessed with like this is wrong. I need to talk to a Spanish person who speaks like an adult.
Speaker 1: And they were like, just leave it, it's cute, Like just do yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's so many comedians that kind of do in English only acts. They don't use words above a eight year old great, Like you can get by with just the words you know and be extremely funny. Like Nate's whole thing is being just a dumb guy. You know, like I'm kind of dumb even though he's a genius, and you hear it in the material. He's not used he's saying reading stupid, He's he's using simple words he's confused by. Like that's a perfect example of someone who is like, can still be genius while operating in it in a quote unquote a little bit of a dumber vote. Not that I don't know, he probably does use big words better than an eight year old, but like, you can still be hilarious with it.
Speaker 4: Totally, and and he can get all of America that way, because then he can get the dumb people too.
Speaker 1: I don't want to say it more accessible.
Speaker 2: We could talk about Nate being clean and that's why he's accessible, but he's you know, also appealing to He's no, he's not dumb obviously, talk to everyone. He knows how to talk dumb speaking, Yeah, yeah, and I'm a.
Speaker 3: Dumb guy, and then he communications I'm.
Speaker 1: I I agree.
Speaker 2: I think that there's sometimes I'm like, I want to use a big word because it just like really says what I want to say, and it just sounds good. I like big words sometimes not to be like I'm so smart, but then if they're alienating, you can't do it. But I also just trust an audience if they don't know a word to be like, they're not like is she an alien?
Speaker 1: Like she said something wrong? They're just gonna go, that's a word. I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's really funny to me when people hear a reference that's being made in a joke or a word being used and they like act confused like.
Speaker 1: Well what was that? It's like, don't you just know you don't know what that was?
Speaker 2: If everyone else laughed like, that's always a confusing thing to me. I'm like, not everyone gets every reference, and that's it's hard to make everything relatable. Sometimes it is fun to just have a joke that only certain people might might get and they can go and they laugh like super loud, to be like I know Rick and Morny And you're like, okay, like I'm a freaking Morny fan or.
Speaker 4: Whatever about that with me because I'm not going to use big words in Spanish.
Speaker 2: And you're, yeah, well, I'm excited to see your English speaking uh, specially you have. You are just so funny and so well. I mean, you're honest and like I like that You're just realistic about what you talk from a realistic perspective and in maybe a little bit of a not even negative but kind of like it is what it is kind of perspective. What is the what are the major themes coming from this material? And is it stuff that you had been working on since COVID? Is it like did you find that like, well, this is what I did. I guess my question is because I'm worried about this. Are you saying something with your special when you got done with it where you like, oh, I can see a through line of like this is what I need to say at this point in my life.
Speaker 4: I don't think there's a through line, but it does all connect with the previous joke. Yes, and then I because it's my first one. I it's it's almost like you realize so much your learning curve is so big, because like I used to not be lazy, but I would just like I always wrote new jokes, but I would go on the road and just do my hour but not really have an order. Like I'd be like, as long as I do those five jokes, I'm gonna do whatever, the.
Speaker 2: Help anything atween never I don't write down any literally, Carmen, I don't write down anything.
Speaker 1: It's not it's a nightmare.
Speaker 2: To plan a special and I just I always call it a grab bag when I'm on stage, Like, yes, I have the five big toys in my bag in Santa's bag that I'm gonna bring out four or five, and then within that I'm going to go other places and I might go too far someplace and we might not get to my last toy or something. But there's there's five that I know can save me. And then the rest is a fucking mishmash. And I'm just like and it makes it fun, It makes it fun fun.
Speaker 1: It's also lazy.
Speaker 4: I know that, Like I realized it I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: I was writing it out and.
Speaker 4: I was like, this is lazy because I don't want to put something together, but it.
Speaker 1: Also I don't want to look it. But it gives you'll.
Speaker 2: Have to look if you if it gives you a freedom to not look at it, you're saying.
Speaker 4: It gives you a freedom to be like, oh my god, if I don't have an order, then I'm going to go from mom to therapist if I want to. But then you'll realize like, oh my god, those actually go really want together, whereas if you had a list, you would have never put mom in therapists together.
Speaker 2: Yes, well that's why you have to constantly like this is the process I'm in right now. Is like all the jokes and this is the order we think they're going in. And Brian is like I've hired Brian is like my head writer to like help me on my special because I it's it truly is like I'm trying to write a TV show and I would never write a TV show on my own, like a whole script, And so I'm approaching my special this time of like yeah, I want everyone's input, of like we see a theme here, maybe this could go into this, and that is the hardest thing because you, yeah, I always have had this joke, into this joke, and then you'd you never realize, oh my god, if this came before this, that could pay off so much more.
Speaker 1: But then you have callbacks. My call that doesn't work.
Speaker 2: Now if I put this over there, now that's the Now I have to switch the callbacks. And it's like it's it's it's so fucked. But I will say that I'm really glad that you also operate this way. I think Mark Maron is the only other person that I've heard. I'm sure there's tons more that just kind of grab bag it and don't have a list hold on.
Speaker 4: Because after realizing that I've always grab bagged it, when I decided to a special, the alarms went off and I was like, girl, you can't do this.
Speaker 1: You are not doing this for your special. You need an order.
Speaker 4: Because I will look at someone during the recording. I know, I well, I will look at someone. They will throw me off. It'll be like my dentist who actually showed up. So I'm glad I'm write and then I'm like I'm gonna go blank. So I memorized it like a script, and I realized I came up with so many.
Speaker 1: Different lines, so much as, so much more at the last minute, and now when.
Speaker 2: You fucking write it all down and look at it and you have to read and you have to memorize it, so then you're looking at the sentences again and you go, oh, wait, there's another chance for another joke here, Like this is kind of It's totally the way we work is the laziest way, and we've gotten away with it. Yeah, but when people go Nikki, you're wow, it's so amazing. You can remember everything and you don't have notes, and you don't go over notes beforehand, you don't go over notes afterwards. I'm like, it's not because I'm a genius or like, this is just my artistic way. I've found the path of least resistance, of most resistance. Let's be honest, if we're talking about resistance. I found the path of most resistance to actually looking at the hearts, doing the thing I fear, which is seeing my material for what it is and it might not.
Speaker 1: Be as good as I think it is, which is the fear.
Speaker 4: But also you've had other specials, so when you're done with your special and it's out there, Do you like not even look at that stuff anymore?
Speaker 1: Because it's out there, you still use it? Right, Sometimes I if you know, if I'm talking about something similar, and I don't remember really what I put in specials, but after I really said, I kind of like dump it from my mind.
Speaker 2: And so I've I literally I've had to ask Brian to go back and watch all my specials because I won't do it. And I'm like, we just have to make sure I'm not doing any of the same stuff because I talk about the same themes still of like sex and dating and.
Speaker 1: I don't want kids, and it's like the same r.
Speaker 2: Was a joke that I was doing that I did it in the last special, but it was like I had just written it before the last special and now it's like, so it's better, but I can't do it. But at the same time, there's there is a line like my last special, I say, like, you know, I talk to young girls, and I'm like, you're gonna age someday. I know you think you won't, and I hope you don't because I want you to die young. And that was like in my last special, and I'm really making the same point again, this time where I'm like you, like young girls, I know you think you're not gonna eight, Like, it's okay for me to reiterate something if it's important enough, and I found another way to prove it. Yeah, I don't have a problem repeating premises. But yeah, it's it's I find though that you know, I was crying in therapy about it yesterday because it's just such a stressful time right now and there's so much it's seeming so much, seemingly so much pressure. And I'm glad that you're done taping years and you can give me perspective on the other side, because there's me it it is going.
Speaker 4: No, there's more, keep going. I want to tell you something else going okay, yes, keep going.
Speaker 2: Sorry, well, just well crying about it, and I just was like, I keep telling myself that Trump is probably gonna win and nothing matters, and that has been helping me totally to think about you know. I'm just using that as an example of like things aren't good, you know, or like it's it's another way of saying I'm gonna die someday and this will all be forgotten. So just like ease up, on yourself, like not, you know, like I always think about people who host SNL and it's like the biggest news of Like, oh my god, I can't believe that comedians hosting SNL like this is their big break Wow.
Speaker 1: And then it happens and no one even watches.
Speaker 2: It, Like it's just like life, everything seems so fucking big. Even the biggest thing I could do, will uh nefinitely be a fit in my IMDb that everyone will forget, including my family.
Speaker 3: Will it be in the deadline article when you die?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And then her fifth special didn't end.
Speaker 2: My deadline article will be pushed down to the bottom and we'll be in the archives someday of that, you know, Like everything's gonna.
Speaker 3: Be okay, And in thousands and thousands of years from now, people won't even know any individual that ever existed in this line.
Speaker 2: I always remember that I will be as remembered as Obama and Abraham Lincoln. We will all be equals in the end in terms of no one on the planet Earth. This will be wiped out someday and we will all just be bones. Like Kyle Dunagan always talks about how like most of our lives as humans is this yeah, great? Like for millennia, are like right now we're like bones inside skin and like, but most of our time on this planet in this form is just like this ah in the ground and for like.
Speaker 1: No no no no, no no no no.
Speaker 2: Nine percent of your existence on this planet is just being still bones.
Speaker 1: Just think about it. Think about it.
Speaker 3: Existent.
Speaker 4: We don't have kids, so after we die, who's really going to talk about us?
Speaker 1: Our need nephews.
Speaker 2: This is my entire special. Like literally that's a line for my special. It's like I got nothing, so okay, let's talk about you were saying it gets worse.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: So I thought you did your special and then you were done and you're likes right, it's like the stress of editing, which you know. And I was like, now I have to do it twice because I got to do English and I got to do in Spanish, and then I have my editor in English and I editor in Spanish. The color is to the sound guy, and I started getting them confused. I was like, is Joe with this one or the other one? You know, all confused?
Speaker 1: Oh my god. It was like and I'm like, I can never do this again. I can't do two at once. That's crazy. Oh you can't do that.
Speaker 2: That I mean, that is really what an undertaking now that I'm thinking about it, because when doing one, it's like twins. It's like twins, but also carrying them both. It's like, I don't even there's no comparison to it with pregnancy, because it's not like you it's two separate things that you were like giving birth to twins and then raising two babies.
Speaker 1: Separately in different languages, and then oh, yeah, you have to watch them get a nanny, either.
Speaker 4: Nanny and then you have to like for some reason, they would come in on the same day. They'd be like, Okay, here's the first draft, and then like ten minutes later, here's the Spanish one.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, oh, and.
Speaker 3: Then one of those babies has to go to Mark Norman's house and the other one.
Speaker 4: I'm like, can you guys do one one week and then one the other. No, they would come in at this no, because they are not connected.
Speaker 1: They're not talking to each other.
Speaker 2: That's the that's the rub is you're the only person that's seeing that these two things are being demanded of you at.
Speaker 1: The same time. The babies. I'm a single no one fucking relates to your struggle, and yeah, no, there's no one. You have no one.
Speaker 4: And then now it's like they both they're both coming out and I can't. I thought the Spanish one would distract me from the English one or vice versa.
Speaker 1: No, I have double the stress.
Speaker 4: I keep going back and forth like a tennis ball, like oh and I'll be stressed about this one or this one or.
Speaker 1: This what's the stress now?
Speaker 2: It's just because it's edited now and you're just now waiting like for it to come out.
Speaker 1: That's it's the promo, it's the marketing exposure.
Speaker 4: Like I think it's because I've heard that they get easier over time. You just get used to Like I'm like, what if they hate it? Like what if people hate it?
Speaker 2: That's not possible, that that is not possible. And I think that's a fear I've let go of too, because and I had a little pep talk with my friend Greg Warren last night before my show, and he was just like, this didn't happen by accident, like that you got this like maybe you know Mark Norman is not going to put it like release someone who's bad on him, Like you know what I'm saying, like he is a connoisseur of comedy, so you got to just trust that. There's just no way it's gonna be bad. You're you're you've been doing this too long to be bad. But you mean, there's just no one that does it as much and as good as you that has had that that you could not have had the career you had with all the opportunities because you or something.
Speaker 1: You know, there's very nice thing to say, there's just no way, like you think Mark's to be talented, because if you.
Speaker 3: Think that people are gonna hate it, then that means you're saying that Mark Norman makes bad decisions?
Speaker 1: And yeah, wow, how dare you? I'm not saying I'm not even thinking it about him.
Speaker 4: I'm saying that in your brain when someone gives you something, you're like, well, it's your fault.
Speaker 1: You offered it to me.
Speaker 4: Where I'm going to do a thing in English and then I'm going to do one in Spanish, you know, And then you're like, you're you're self doubt, I don't know if you have bad where you're what am I doing? Why do I find this ship that I can do too?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: That's interesting because you get if they give it to you, you go. Because I have that with like getting it, I go. I've tricked someone and the team we've assembled, like the my director that's directing my special directs. He's directed the last twelve super Bowl halftime shows. He like works with Beyonce and Rihanna and you two on like one name, Like he's best friends with these people and like only works with them, and like he's done one other comedy special years and years ago. But he's just like doing this for fun as a favor because he's friends with my boyfriend and worked with him before. And I feel so intimidated that this guy has to like fly to Seattle when he just got he got done like with Shakira and j Loo last year. He's working with Usher on this year's super Bowl and he's like talking to me about my gang Bang joke. Like it just I feel like this is like so embarrasing. I'm really struggling with like the people that have signed up for this and have been like believe in me, like I'm a fraud. I'm there. I somehow tricked them. They don't really know what's going on. They've gotten tricked into this But then there's the added thing that I have experienced before of of starting something that you go, I can do this, and no one's asking me to do this. I'm saying that I can do this, and wha the.
Speaker 1: I better fucking do it. And if I don't, what I look so bad?
Speaker 2: At least I can blaze, like you were saying, at least I can just say that was someone's bad call.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 2: It's not my what am I gonna turn it down? But this is something that you were like, no people need.
Speaker 1: To see this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm good and it's such a risk, but it's but it's it was absolutely the right move.
Speaker 1: What was so reading the Art of War was that what.
Speaker 2: Got you to that point of going, I need to do this to tell me the moment?
Speaker 4: Well, it was actually I felt like during COVID I was getting depressed because there was no action, that I was taking, no goal. And then there was a line in the Art of War that was like not everyone. He was like, not everyone, but a lot of people are on antidepressants because they aren't going through that difficult like fit like that.
Speaker 1: Go through it, just.
Speaker 4: Go through it, the fear, the fear, and I can get I go. I just had a connection with that, and I was like, I think that's me. I mean I had I was on Zoloft like low dose, like fifty miligrams, and I did have panic attacks and I have had one.
Speaker 1: I had one since I've been off of it.
Speaker 4: But I mean as soon as I made that decision, I just felt like the depression, I mean, anxiety came in now, but I can handle the anxiety because now I had to just do the jokes, make the list, you know, get the outfit d But the.
Speaker 2: Depression, I was just sitting there like, oh, this is so what I'm reading right now. I was just reading this chapter last night he talks about in this book called Letting Go. He talks about how depression, anxiety, and fear are way better than depression because depression is hopelessness, it's complete, that it's nothing. But if you have fear, fear is the next step to courage. So if you have fear and anxiety, it is a good sign that you have something in you that you need to break through and that you can get to that next side to that side, which is courage. Courage is fear. Courage is fear with like the absence of fear. It's doing something that is going to be painful, but putting just silencing the fear. That's what courage is, that's what bravery is, and it's one step up above fear and that's when you break through to actually the good stuff that the high vibe things like depression is zero vibrations, right, fear is like a little bit more vibrations, anxiety more and then you got to a place where it's like your depression will lift. It's very interesting to think about all these things that we get diagnosed with and be like, maybe it's my approach to my insecurities and my fears and like the all the I can't do that I have or that which are really I won't because of I'm gonna look stupid, or because I just all the fears we have. And that's so good that you overcame. The problem is is when you like read that chapter or you listen to that podcast, or you hear that motivational thing and you go, I'm putting this in the action into action, you send an email like we're gonna fucking do a special and here's the idea, and then you like you wake up.
Speaker 1: The next day to press and you're like, oh fuck, You're like, what do I sign out for?
Speaker 2: Yeah, just having that perfect amount of caffeine or like eighty D med if you happen to Like there's sometimes where I've like mixed a perfect amount of Like I watched something hopeful and I have like a just amount of caffeine. I got enough rest, and I'm like I can do anything, and let's start a band.
Speaker 1: And then like I have to put a fan practice the next day, and I'm like, I am a person that just did not what am I doing?
Speaker 2: But I think that that original person is the right thing to do. And I love to hear that. It's like lifted for you and that Yeah, one panic attack when you were getting would would you say that's pretty low for you being off medicine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I can anticipate them because I anticipate the fear of having a panic attack before I have the panic attack. And most of the time it's like if I feel clawstrophobic, if I'm sitting in a tiny restaurant. Sometimes happened on a plane, and now I just do breathing. I just sit there and I go don't like kind of like don't talk to me. I'm just gonna breathe, yes, you know, and that's good. And again it's like if I'm on medication and no judgments because you know, it helped me for five years, Like I wouldn't have done that because I would have been fine. So now I'm like, don't fucking rush off to on med's karmen again. Just give it a second and do the breathing and exercise, I mean exercise I kind of always did, but do it more. But the breathing, like you never think about you need to breathe, right, No, it fucking works.
Speaker 2: It's you know, works that just like box breathing or just holding Like I breathe in and I just like hold it for five seconds, like if I need to calm my heart rate, I know that breathing in for four count, holding it for five, releasing it for whatever like that kind that there's just simple tricks, but they're just so much harder for us to reach for.
Speaker 4: The damn cold showers. Oh my god, yes, just turned the shower to cold.
Speaker 1: It's so adverse to that for some reason, I mean feels so.
Speaker 4: The hardest is in the winter or if you didn't work out if your body's still hot and sweaty and you good, it feels so.
Speaker 2: Good, that's a good idea to sneak them in. Then I've been I've been going to pilates just to get in shape for my special because I wanted to wear like a kind of revealing dress thing. And it's kind of like I'm trying to use this as like I'm peeking and like I'm gonna dress like hot for the last like or at least, you know, maybe one of the last times, like as long as I got it, why not.
Speaker 1: And I've been doing pilates and that's been a lot of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like focusing on body breathing, uh, using muscles I've never used before.
Speaker 1: It's so.
Speaker 2: It's so psychological and texting, Like yesterday I went in and I was so tired and I was still bad going to a trainer and being like I hate, I don't want to do this today. But I just was I to my friends who are pilateates teachers, and I go, what do you do if your client like is just not in the fucking mood? And they were like, just be honest and say, I don't have a lot of stamina today, Like let's do other stuff. And we just did all this other stuff that was like mine stuff where I was just literally laying down and I would have to just like you know, point my foot or something, and it was just it was incredibly hard because it was physically or mentally taxing but not physically, and I just felt so much better after it because it was better than I wanted to cancel the whole thing, but it's better than doing nothing. And then I've been doing you know, some manifestation stuff that has really been working, but it's it's yeah, I I are you when your special was over to were you so excited?
Speaker 1: And did you so?
Speaker 4: God? I mean, I first of all, I got very sick. I got so sick. I think I was just holding in all this tension right after and I got super sick. And then I went to Spain and I was still sick, but I got better the week before, and then after the Spanish one, I got sick again. So I don't know what I was makes sense, But I now my anxiety is the relief, and I'm like, if I could just get used to just not being anxious, I got to let it all go. Like I read something yesterday because yesterday I was gonna have a mental breakdown.
Speaker 1: I was like, attachment is bad, and I was like, ooh, I love that. Just detach from all of our projects everything.
Speaker 4: Detached from everything, because then attachment can be like codependency or expectations or whatever. So just detached, attached, move on. So now I'm like, Okay, what's my next project. I'm just gonna move on like I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Okay instead of after.
Speaker 3: But detachment is like if you don't attach to anything, then you're like not even experiencing.
Speaker 2: Yes, after yeah, well well once, well it makes sense to detach once you really can't control anything zacturate.
Speaker 1: What's done is done.
Speaker 2: I mean you can go on podcasts and you can work towards promoting and talking about and getting the word up, but regardless like worrying about is it good? Sorry, it's in the can's like that. That's like, detached from that immediately because no amount of thinking is gonna change balgor or like the best time.
Speaker 3: To start a new project as soon as one project ends, exactly.
Speaker 1: That's a really good point that.
Speaker 3: You're like if you go out for a job interview or if you're waiting to see if something gets picked up or whatever, the best thing to do is to start a new project, and then the outcome of that thing that you have no control over is doesn't matter as much because now you're focused on this new the next thing.
Speaker 1: That's a good point.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, Yes, oh my god, No, I was just gonna do a cool segue and say we're going to detach from this segment and go to a'll do it back with more after that.
Speaker 1: I just did. I love we're talking about detachment or we were before.
Speaker 2: And yeah, you said, just like a breakup, like move on to the next thing.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's a mad thing.
Speaker 2: Like have have your little if I'm quoting Taylor Swift floor, have your Matt Heally before you get to your Travis Kelcey, like have a little fun, Like, yeah, get distracted from your sadness.
Speaker 4: This is another thing that helped a lot too. And I think this was from like Mel Robbins or someone who knows. Oh yeah, but like if you're anxious about something, and because anxiety and excitement are the same energy, so if you say I'm excited when you're anxious, it actually does to the energy.
Speaker 1: It's it's weird. Like think about okay and.
Speaker 4: Just go I'm excited, I'm and then you start going I'm excited, I am excited, yeah, because that.
Speaker 1: Is what anxiety is, Like you are getting too excited.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like you're you're excited, but yeah, it's like negative excitement anxiety.
Speaker 1: That's a really I love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Conscious also doesn't understand like sarcasm or lies. So if you just say I'm excited, it doesn't know that you're lying, and your subconscious will take that information and act on it.
Speaker 1: I've been a fucking psycho with this manifestation stuff, like I have been hilarious, like because I've always really struggled with looking myself in the mirror and being like you're beautiful and you're hilarious and you're gonna kill it tonight.
Speaker 2: That really makes me. Just like my friends on my girl's chat have been like, just go look in the mayor right now and tell you yourself that you're beautiful, say I love you, Nikki, I love you, Nikki, And I'm like, I can't. I'm not gonna do that, Like there's I know that would help. I'm never gonna do it. So my new thing and I've talked about this on the podcast already, but I went kind of bonanza with it this weekend. Is I go, like before a show right that, I'm like not in the mood to do, and I'm feeling anxious about because I have to you know, work on the order and it's not just a normal show anymore, Carmen, you know, I'm reading a set list and I like, it's just not fun to perform right now.
Speaker 1: It is once you get in the flow, but whatever, So.
Speaker 2: I'm feeling anxious and I just turned to Anya and I go, isn't it crazy that I'm so worried about this set right now? But it's gonna be like the best set of my life tonight. Isn't that so wild that like I manifested this set to be like the greatest set of my life, that everything felt easy and flowed so nicely. It's so weird, like that's my new And She's kind of like, what, like, I just can't do I spring it on people without them knowing. I go, isn't it wild that, oh, this is a one I burnt the fuck out of my throat drinking some tea on Thursday night, I like, gulp down this tea two vast in my vocal cords and like I have a lot of vocal cord trauma and like I've had surgery.
Speaker 1: It was it was like, oh no, what did I do?
Speaker 2: And I have to take the special and I was like coughing and gagging and like I couldn't sleep. I couldn't lay horizontal because I was like, my throat is so damaged, the skin.
Speaker 1: Is gonna be flaking. I'm gonna be chucking, like coughing up chunks like it was burnt.
Speaker 2: I could feel it. I've never felt this pain in my life in that way. And I was like, You're such an idiot. Why did you do this? And then I was like, wait, just let's try to manifest something because I got to sleep. I'm in Toronto, I got a ten hour flight tomorrow I have to do two shows.
Speaker 1: Like I don't have time to stay up and worry about this, so I just go.
Speaker 2: It's so crazy that I burnt my mouth or I burnt my throat so badly, and tomorrow my throat never felt more supple or like young and youthful and healed and like ooey gooey. It's so crazy at my voteds like, have never felt better after I burnt it. That's wild that this worked. That saying this right now made that tomorrow it's gonna be wild to feel that. And I I promise you guys, I woke up the next day, no no side effects from it.
Speaker 1: Did they feel the best they've ever felt.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's true, but they certainly were indiscernible from the best they've ever felt. Like I did an injury that was out without question. I was like gagging on water because it would hurt to even drink water. I was choking, I was coughing, I couldn't sleep. As soon as I started talking like that, I just relaxed. I was able to go to sleep, and I woke up and had no memory of burning my throat until later that day.
Speaker 1: That's so weird. This is it.
Speaker 2: Just try this shit when you can, and do it in like a comical way of like, oh my god, I can't believe tomorrow that guy's.
Speaker 1: Gonna call me that.
Speaker 2: I'm like, whatever, it is, like, it's worth a try, because it's less embarrassing doing that than saying you are beautiful and your throat is fire like in the mirror gazing at yourself.
Speaker 3: You can get over the self consciousness of it by being sarcastic and baking it a joke, and because your subconscious doesn't know the difference anyway. So if you want it as a comedian, be like, oh, tomorrow is gonna be the best day of my life. I can't believe tomorrow is the best day of my life and it's happening tomorrow. Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 2: And being incredulous about the true subconscious?
Speaker 3: Is it really? Really?
Speaker 2: It's like a dog because it's that's how I talk normally to myself. So I'm tricking my subconscious into actually thinking that's true because I do like that your subconscious is like autistic and like has.
Speaker 1: No sense of irony, no.
Speaker 2: Sense of sarcasm, takes everything out its word. I think that's very adorable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like a dog. If you go to your dog and you go, do you want to treat? You want to treat? They'll get excited for a treat. But if you go do you want to treat? Well, actually, maybe that's not a good good wait.
Speaker 1: That's the opposite, that's the opposite. Final thought.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, So Carmen, your specials coming out, everyone has to watch it. I mean, because your fear now is that no one's going to watch it the view Like are you fearing of like there's not going to be enough use?
Speaker 1: Yes, Like the comments are gonna be shitty.
Speaker 4: Because I I don't know, you know, who's gonna troll on YouTube or or who's gonna say like your Spanish sucks, bitch, go back.
Speaker 2: To That might happen, But first of all, I would could could you get to a place where you don't read the comments?
Speaker 1: Is that you might not?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna yeah, I think you should not read the comments. And also I know for a fact that they're not gonna say that because the people that do troll and go like women aren't funny. Let's say that Mark Norman fans that might think that they always pick like one girl to like so that they justify themselves as not being you know, in cells that just hate women, so they and you're the gonna you should be that you should be a one girl that everyone goes clearly women are funny. But they're gonna give that to you because he's given the dumb ones who just follow whatever he says. And this is not just saying Mark Norman's fans. I love Mark Norman, so I'm a Mark Norman fan. Any kind of like these guy comic fans that are like that might hate women, they usually like one.
Speaker 1: And they're gonna it's gonna be It's gonna be you.
Speaker 2: It really will, because first of all, you are as good as any comic that they would ever you know, hold you up against it's not better.
Speaker 1: And you also.
Speaker 2: There's there's no gimmick with you where you can like throw like oh, she's just trying to do this thing, like you really are just a comics comic.
Speaker 1: You're fucking You're.
Speaker 2: Just one of the best. And so's it's without question they're gonna love it.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna request sure that I'm gonna listen to that every day just because he feel so much.
Speaker 1: It really is true.
Speaker 2: It's just no, every comic knows you're great, and like there you we just all can't be wrong. And so whether the audience will get that because they'll follow our lead and like you know, the savvy ones tend to like the comics that comics like, and and yeah, but I would have those same I have those same fears whenever I do anything on a male comics platform.
Speaker 1: But do you?
Speaker 2: And I don't mean to put in fears in your head, but like I always fear those kinds of fans.
Speaker 4: Do you feel like, now that you've done so many specials though, that all those fears just get lighter and lighter or do they just stay?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: What I've realized is that no, they say each time it feels like this is do or die, it always feels like the first time, like it does, I will say that, but the aft, like the aftermath of like how it's received way less pressure than I thought it would be. And things have not always been a fucking huge big splash for me in terms of my specials. I mean they've been they've come and gone without with fanfare, without fanfare, and it's all kind of felt the same.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Really, the amount of times I've survived putting something out that I put so much work into and it wasn't watched a lot, or it just didn't strike a chord, it doesn't it did. I didn't take it personally, and I hope that for you because I think it surprised me that I didn't, But I think you won't too, because the First of all, everything's oversaturated, there's too much to watch, so you can have that in the back of your head of like it just didn't cut through, and like it just you know, and it's all the hard work is done, and it's like you can you can't control it, so you you can kind of let that go. So I'm I'm happy to say that. However, my special does I know that I'll be okay even if it fucking tanks, because I know it's good, because it's there's no question it's funny, because I do have that. And right now as I'm talking to you, doing comedy twenty years, you can't at the rate of doing it. If I was bad, that would be it would be impossible, remarkable, it would actually.
Speaker 1: Really very impressive.
Speaker 3: I've seen it happen. I've seen it happen. I've seen not twenty but maybe fifteen ten. I've seen people like, sure, it's still not funny at all.
Speaker 2: But twenty you got you. You're not bad at No one has been doing it twenty years. It doesn't do a good job. And if you actually care about being on the cutting edge and writing new material, if you which I have done, then there's no question.
Speaker 1: I'm good.
Speaker 2: I might not be as good as I want to be, but there's no question I'm I'm elite, I'm come.
Speaker 3: I can definitely up with I'm not going to say them on the pod.
Speaker 1: Are they people?
Speaker 2: Are they people that are trying new material? There are people who and that are actually trying to progress or are they relying on the old act?
Speaker 3: Probably all know their name. I don't know who they are, but if I point you out, you'd be like that guy, that guy hosted for this thing in twenty two thousand and nine. He's he's been.
Speaker 4: Doing the same and he's probably progression is little pond and everything's fine, or size fish in a very very big pond.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, I can. I think I can name a few that are still somehow bad. But no, you're right, Nikki about are they doing the same material? A lot of them? Are them thinking of? Are doing the same material over and over again for twenty years, and I think it was bad the first time they did it, and it's still bad and they never adjusted.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I know what you're saying now that I'm racking my brain. I can think of people that have been doing twenty years and I don't like their commedy. I don't like they're doing, but I cannot deny that they do have an audience that doesn't like that does like it, and they have mastered the skin of performing, which is a skill in and of itself. So whether their jokes are bad, they do deserve like they're twenty. Like if we're talking about someone who just got a special too soon after doing it, however many years, seven years, you're gonna see like this person is out of their element.
Speaker 1: But twenty years you deserve.
Speaker 2: Whether your jokes are good or bad, you deserve to be up there because you're a good performer that you've been on stages for twenty years. There's something in that. But you know, we me and Carmen also have jokes, so there's just no question.
Speaker 4: Carmen, that's what's gonna be great exciting things though, is to just put that shit aside, like the material, I mean, catch and and just write. There's so much new stuff and stuff that I didn't even put in this special because I waited so long to do a special and I'm like, I already have so much for the next one.
Speaker 2: You know, now you're gonna go on tour off of this thing. Your numbers are gonna go up there, that's gonna be so fun.
Speaker 3: No, it's amazing that her numbers have gone up already, and that her that the tour is all selling out.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Carmen, I can't believe that this has led.
Speaker 2: I can't believe you are the most one of the most watched news specials on YouTube of the year and the most critically acclaimed. I mean, I can believe it because we talked about it, but it really is it just finally, it's so nice to see that finally people are seeing what has obviously you know, the lettermans and the last comic standings have acknowledged here and there, but it's happening on a wider scale for you, and like people comedy officianos are now like know your name, it's a household name.
Speaker 4: But also that I'm the most watched American comedian in Spain is crazy, right.
Speaker 1: That is such an accomplishment, that is so cool that.
Speaker 3: There's no like, there's no way that doesn't happen.
Speaker 2: I mean, we might not know the scene. Carmen's probably more tuned in. There's probably a lot of Americans.
Speaker 1: They Oh my god, it's so cool. They love they.
Speaker 4: First of all, they the other day I did I did a ton of Spanish podcasts. I just got back from Madrid. I had to go from Madrid to Nebraska. That's why I haven't slept in and I I it was so funny. One of the podcast guys was like, Lee, Bobby Lee, you have to go like.
Speaker 1: Who oh Bobby Lee. Oh Bobby Lee.
Speaker 4: And then this other podcast they were like, you know, and I go the cellar.
Speaker 3: It's fun to do because c is you know th h.
Speaker 1: So like and I was like, oh, that's sella fella. Oh my god, Bobby Lee, well, Bobby Lee is they have good taste, Mark Norman and they were like that's awesome. Yeah, okay, it was pretty They're gonna love you even more.
Speaker 2: But Mark Norman doesn't speak Spanish, so they're gonna like, they're gonna fucking eat this up. This is so exciting. I'm so happy for you, Carmel. What's the name of your special?
Speaker 4: The English one is Queef Week and which Mark imaniately.
Speaker 1: Loved, because you know how he loves he loves that picture him. Yeah, that's I can't believe he hasn't named his special that yet, and.
Speaker 4: Then the Spanish one is just and Espanol because I wanted to make sure this is not my language.
Speaker 1: It's yes, okay, so we Espanol. Check it out on Mark Norman's YouTube page. That will be on the twelfth.
Speaker 2: That's Tuesday the twelfth, nine pm Eastern. Set your alarms and then if you speak Spanish on the fifteenth on feel me on YouTube.
Speaker 4: On No film in is like a Netflix, but it's only in Spain, so it's feel mean is the platform nice?
Speaker 1: Okay? Wow, congratulations girl, Thank you, get some rest. Thank you for doing this podcast. I love you. I love you so good to catch up. I can't wait till we can run into each other again. I just like complain about life. More'll do it.
Speaker 4: You're the best, all right, bye, Carmen, thank you, Thanks again, guys.
Speaker 1: Bye guys, Bine. All right, that's it. I'll see you on tour coming up.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be at Brea with Brian Frangie, and then Spokane and then Seattle for my special taping, which I hope you guys can make it to, and then December thirtieth and thirty. First, I'm going to be in Denver for those shows, so come out to those as well. That's it for us, don't Beka and Digit Just watch Carmen on December twelfth, TWEK Week on Mark Hammon's YouTube page