Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: The college football season has a period. At the end of the sentence, it's over. Back to back national titles for the Big Ten won. Are what SEC Commissioner Greg Sanke is thinking, because it used to be the SEC was the powerhouse, but once everybody got an opportunity to pay players and transfer portal, all of a sudden nil that changed things dramatically. Notre Dame, that was a good year. If I would have said back in that weekend when they lost in Northern Illinois, they're going to play for national championship, you probably would have thought not this year, Ohio State beating Michigan. And if I would have said after that game, hey, don't worry, they're going to win the national title. After they lost to Michigan, they're going to win the national title. You have these moments. The question is how do you react after those moments? After those games. Notre Dame reacted and won and continue to win. And Marcus Freeman IS's star in the sport Ryan Day, the embattled Ryan Day. You lose to Michigan again, if you don't have a twelve team playoff, you may not have Ryan Day winning a national championship this year. In fact, you probably don't, but this is college football. Now. Who knows what it's going to be like next year or in five years from now. But give credit to Ohio State because they were the better team last night. When it was thirty one seven, I kept thinking, all right, Ohio State, just maybe another field goal so I can go to bed, and then all of a sudden, here comes Notre Day, and then here comes Notre Day, and then all of a sudden, I'm going, what's the point spread? Eight and a half? Oh my goodness. Now I'm watching, and I thought, if they don't get that third and nine when they throw it to Jeremiah Smith, Now all of a sudden, you got some people going, all right, there's a lot of money the cover of the year. When you think about it, you one to seven and you're going, I'm good. I all these Ohio State fans, they laid the eight and a half. They're like, this is going to be a blowout, halftime high five in each other, Yeah, hey, I got your beers. Marcus Freeman comes out second half, Notre name head coach. He looked like he had just been in the washing machine, and was like what just happened? And then they got a couple of plays made it interesting, and Ohio State did what they needed to do with a crucial you know, I mean going forward third and nine. Here was Ryan Day with that call on the completion to Jeremiah Smith.
Speaker 3: We felt like we had an advantage with Jeremiah on that shot, and you know, we've talked about it all week, really hadn't thrown one all game, and it was like, you know what game in a line, you know, let's go. Let's just be aggressive. And I just thought to myself, you know, you only even won national championship, you only get one opportunity, you know, a year to do this. Let's just lay it on the line and put it out there and be aggressive. And that's what we did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, third and long, and they were aggressive. Notre Dame would have gotten the ball back, they'd have had about two minutes to go. Maybe maybe we could have had a dramatic finish. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America. The official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. First hour of the program brought to you by Rapid Radios, the official walkie talkie for the Dan Patrick Show instant pushed to talk, offering national LTE coverage, no subscriptions ever, perfect for instant contact with your friends. And you can go to Rapid Radios dot com sixty percent off and free shipping. All right, see poll question for hour one is going to.
Speaker 4: Be okay, Well, we've got one from here from Marvin. We've got a bunch from Todd All.
Speaker 2: Has checked in.
Speaker 4: Where would you like to start? Dan?
Speaker 2: I'm going to go Marvin because it's rare when Marvin offers up something. Poll question wise.
Speaker 4: If you're an Ohio State fan, you'd rather lose to Michigan but win a national title or beat Michigan and lose in the college football playoffs.
Speaker 2: I think this is crazy that there are fans, Yes, so important to beat Michigan. That has been your identity, And yeah, we won a national title, but you need to beat Michigan. If you said to Ohio State fans, you're gonna lose again to Michigan next year, but you're going to play for the national championship. You have to play for a national championship.
Speaker 4: You would think you would, you would think.
Speaker 2: But you know, fan bases, the old school fan base, how important it was because it used to be if you lost that game, you weren't playing for a national championship. That was the importance of it. Now with the twelve team playoff, fourteen team playoffs, sixteen team playoff, Okay, you lose bragging rights there, but man, that national title that'll cure everything. That's the great elixir a national title. Yes, Paul, I have an idea.
Speaker 5: I would present it to you specifically because you know Ohio State and history. Today is the day to start de emphasizing the Michigan game going forward. Step you are the national title holders. You're on full scholarship now going forward, you've got the big payroll. Start using the word Michigan when you talk about them. Don't say the team up north. Start saying Michigan like you would say Ohio State, like you'd say Purdue or Iowa Wisconsin. Treat them all the same.
Speaker 2: But why can't you have both? Why can't this still mean so much? But the national title is more important than that.
Speaker 5: Because, like we've been saying, it's meaning a little too much the past decade. Start de emphasizing it and making another game. Beat them. You're gonna beat them or not. Either way, but start saying Michigan, Iowa, Purdue step.
Speaker 2: One, Yeah, won't happen.
Speaker 5: Not the team up.
Speaker 2: North, not gonna happen. Just not not. Don't fight it, I know, just saying, Hey, I'm not one of those that would go, boy, I'd rather beat Michigan and then win a national title. That's silly.
Speaker 5: I want to follow up on that. Okay, there's no one who really believes that. That's more of a perception of the national media about Ohio State fans.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe because I can't.
Speaker 5: Imagine an Ohio State fan today going, you know what, if I could have a do over this year, I would wax Michigan and take it on the chin and Notre Dame.
Speaker 4: Yes, right, But like Michigan fans are somehow taking a little bit of a victory lap too, being like, yeah, but we beat the national chair, so I guess we really are, like, which is absurd. That's I get, how tongue in cheek that is too. But these two fan bases are that crazy that somehow they find a way to take losses and make them wins depending on those circuits.
Speaker 2: Oh, if I'm Michigan, I'm taking a victory lap. Oh heck, yass. You know, you had a bad season, couldn't find a quarterback first year without Jim Harball, and you beat Ohio State at Ohio State. And this was brought up to me by a former Ohio State player last night, and he said, you know what changed when Michigan tried to plant the flag? He said, that changed this football team. All of a sudden, they in their minds became us against the world, and they were underdogs somehow. And I said, okay, I mean, I'll factor that in that all of a sudden, Jack Sawyer's grabbing the Michigan flag and throwing it away, and now, all of a sudden, there's a different purpose with Ohio State. Sure, okay, I mean if you feel that that was a seismic shift with his team, they became a little bit more I don't know together, but there's so much talent there. That's why, you know, when we look at Ohio State, it's hard to say that they were an underdog. I mean, they're incredible. You know, you poached guys from around the country, you spent over twenty million. I mean, you should be great. The fact that you couldn't come up with an offense against Michigan. That was what was mind boggling here. I know you lose to Oregon, but that was close game at Oregon. This was a great team, yes, Marvin, So last night Ohio State was David not in order Dain? Yeah, okay, no, just making sure. Yeah, well, David got knocked down, David didn't have a slingshot, and then all of a sudden, David had a shotgun. And then you're like, here comes David, and David's going to put some heat on Ohio State. But Ohio State was a better team. Can't imagine that somebody's going, eyah, but we better beat Michigan next year. I don't know if there's pressure on Ryan Day. And once again, I grew up in this environment. I grew up in Ohio. I understand that feeling when Michigan would beat Ohio State and ruin your college football season. But I can't imagine somebody like next year, if Ohio State doesn't beat Michigan, that Ryan Day is all of a sudden going to be on the hot seat again. Are we reheating Ryan Day? Yes?
Speaker 4: Yeah, how in the world can that even be a conversation today?
Speaker 2: I trust me, we get to next season and if that happens, then we will be discussing that. People will discuss that about Ryan Deck Rick new Heiseel a little bit later on, and I got a couple of questions for him, And I have great respect for Rick. One of the smartest college football guys. I know I'm watching Jeremiah Smith and he's a freshman. If I said, let's say the Patriots, you can have Travis Hunter or Jeremiah Smith, who would you take with that second pick overall? Is that what it is? Who would you take because you got a two way star? Or you have this guy who's great. So we'll talk to new Heiseel. Also, who is more likely to go to the NFL first, Ryan Day or Marcus Freeman. How about that Patriots have the fourth pick here, But so we'll talk to Rick new Heiseel little bit later on.
Speaker 5: Yes, I was thinking about nil and Jeremiah Smith as a freshman. What is his retention fee to stay at Ohio State?
Speaker 2: But if you're Georgia oh like you, you at least have to You won a national title at Ohio State, So they can't be that mad. If you say, you know what, I got to do something for my family now I'm a freshman. If you say that, I would, I mean, I'd at least kicked the tires on it. Just say how much am I worth? How much my worth?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, is he worth what a quarterback's worth. I'd say yes. My surprise is in the previous But my surprise is against Texas. I think he had three targets. I mean that to me is criminal. I'd get him the ball no matter what. Like there's certain players where you go, I'm going to devise things to get you the ball. You have Chip Kelly devise something. And that's what amazed me. Ill will use him as a decoy. N Let's just use him as the best player on the field. They went to him last night, I still would have gone to him more. Notre Dame plays man coverage. I would have gone to him, and I would have kept going to him until they put two guys on him, and then I'd take advantage elsewhere.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Paul, I know all is well in Ohio state Land today. But let's say Jeremiah Smith doesn't catch that ball, or they target someone else, Notredame gets the ball back and sends us to overtime. I know it's unlikely, but the math was there that Notre Dame could win. That Jeremi Smith had one second half target.
Speaker 1: I don't get that.
Speaker 5: I was sitting there thinking about the downside, and I was like, if Ohio State loses this game, it's going to be catastrophic if their star player had one or fewer targets in the second half.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't understand it. You know, I'm sure there's a lot of smarter people than me that could tell me. But I have to get him the ball, have to like remarkable though. I mean, when they did go to him, he made the great catch and you know this band coverage all right? Yes, Marvin, sorry, one more thing.
Speaker 3: Yes, is it too early to play the career salary game with Jeremi Smith?
Speaker 2: He should changed he s and put a dollar sign. Yeah, what's he worth? Ten million dollars? Is that fairy quarterbacks get six seven million dollars? There's nobody like him in the country. I don't. I'm sure Ohio State fans hate hearing about what if you're Michigan. What if you're Michigan and you go, hey, how much we got in the collective?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 2: Can you call Larry Ellison again, you know, one of the five richest people in the world and a booster there notre name or his wife went to Michigan. Hey, Larry, we need ten million dollars? Which four? Jeremiah Smith? Oh yeah, okay, yes, Paully.
Speaker 5: I have on three dot com their NIL valuations and they're very spot on. Arch Manning is number one, Carson Beck number two, Jeremi Smith, the wide receiver is number three. His NIL valuation is four to five million dollars. He's the only non quarterback in the top twelve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well what's he worth now? All right? Eight seven seven three DP show. We'll get to other possible pull questions. Yes, Tom, what would be a.
Speaker 3: Reasonable number to leave one school for your arch rivals where you can feel comfortable with that and not get destroyed if you care about your social following, what people think of you.
Speaker 2: I would not go to Michigan. I'd go south. And he's from Florida. I'd go South Michigan. Be like three four million dollars more?
Speaker 7: Is that enough? And you're not getting that money anywhere else for whatever reason.
Speaker 2: I'd think you somebody's gonna match the offer. But I would I'd be curious, what is it costing Ohio State to keep him and does anybody reach out to him or one of his middleman or agents or whatever.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 6: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: You could catch us.
Speaker 6: Weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 7: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 6: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discus. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 2: So check us out.
Speaker 6: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up, as they say. I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on Planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: It's Christopher mad Dog Russo, host a mad Dog Unleashed on Sirius XM and a contributor to ESPN's first Dake mad Dog. Good to see again, which fan base feels worse today? Notre Dame or Michigan.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's good one. I sence, good job Danny. Well, it was a pleasure to come on.
Speaker 8: I would say probably Michigan because that win to me against Ohio State doesn't mean that much anymore. It might mean something to them, but the bottom line is Ohio State did what you're supposed to do, bounce back, win four in a row, win a championship. So to me, if the Michigan's gonna take look at us, we who cares. The bottom line is they won, They have the championship trophy, They're going to the White House, they have the rings, the.
Speaker 7: Notre Dame fan that had a great year.
Speaker 8: They recovered, They did a good job of trying to get back in the game. Last night they lost fifty six seven. It would be really embarrassing. It was thirty one seven. They actually made Ohio State sweat a little bit. So I don't think anybody from in South Bend could be annoyed and could be disappointed with the or upset the fact that they lost. They were an eight point underdog for a reason. Ohio State's better than they are, they got better players. But the Michigan fan base, to me, what Ohio State, by the fact they won so four in a row, blew out people did a great job. That takes away to me as a fan. They lost their lost to Michigan. Who cares that they lost and win naming? To me, I was a fan they won a championship, So I would say the Michigan fan base were more annoyed than a Notre Dame fan base.
Speaker 2: Who did you have money on last day?
Speaker 8: I had Notre Dame dan And here here's the thing. I had no business having getting eight. I had no business having any chance because obviously thirty one seven and then they get the two two point conversions, and then you figure, oh my god, I'm going to get a push out of this because it was third and eleven. Just get the first down there and then one out the clock. Instead he throws the bomb. The kid makes to catch the ten yard line, so it's first in goal. It's not worst than ten. And then they had the two timeouts or they get the time out left, so they're gonna have to kick the field goal.
Speaker 7: So I got burned with that.
Speaker 8: Now, to be fair. To be fair, I had used in getting nine on Saturday afternoon and I got the safety, so that negates what happened last night. It's amazing how betting works.
Speaker 2: Oh god, good one.
Speaker 8: You have no business, or you push one and then three days later you think, look at me, I'm hot.
Speaker 7: It goes to the exact opposite. That's what happened to me last night.
Speaker 2: I had to quit Cold Turkey years years, years ago. Chris. I never enjoyed winning. I just hated losing, and I couldn't enjoy the games. You know, people better as well often say you know what, I have no interest in this game. I'll put some money on it, now I'll watch it. I couldn't do it.
Speaker 8: I understand where you're coming from. I think there's a lot of truth to that. You lose the purity of it, you know. I sometimes think it's a little bit of an occupational hazard because it does make you focus and on things that you wouldn't normally focus on, and what you and I do on a day and day.
Speaker 7: Off basis that's important.
Speaker 8: For instance, you know, I'll bet a season total for a couple of NBA teams regular season total. Now what I care in the middle of January what the Kings are doing against the Wizards. No, but because I have Sacramento asn't over, I'm gonna pay attention. So I look at it as almost a times complimentary to what I do. But I do understand what you're saying. Sometimes you're looking at your bet instead of looking at the big picture. I think that's a very fair point, and I can see why you would have done that a long time ago.
Speaker 2: These are two more key match or you know, teams franchises, Ohio State and Notre Dame. But the National Title game felt a little buried, like, you know, we got through with football this weekend and then it's on a Monday night. Is there a better solution. Do you think.
Speaker 7: It's stupid?
Speaker 8: We've been saying this, How could you play your national championship game after four divisional games the whole world is talking about. I mean, i'dn't even mention a college football game. Yes, until late I needed a little blow. They should play the game two days before the divisional games, not after the divisional games.
Speaker 7: I don't know why they've been doing this forever on these Monday nights.
Speaker 8: I know ESPN wants the Monday night football team because on the Monday night it's dumb.
Speaker 7: Nobody cares.
Speaker 8: And they did not get great ratings for the semifinals. Notre Dame Penn State only did seventeen million and twenty million for Texas.
Speaker 7: They had to be a little disappointed with that. Four big franchises, and I don't.
Speaker 8: Even think the game probably would do well. From last night, it was thirty one seven. You've seen enough football. It was a long weekend. People got to work Tuesday. He also had the inauguration, which people may or may not have been wrapped up in one way or the other, so they were a little burned out by nine to thirty ten o'clock and it's thirty one to seven Oha state you know what, I'm going to bed. So they probably got hurt significantly with that too. Need to get away from the NFL as quickly as possible if they want to get a big deal going filled for their championship game.
Speaker 7: I agree with hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Christopher mad Dog Russo, host of mad Dog Unleashed on Sirius XM Channel eighty two. A lot of phone calls yesterday from fans. They were talking about the NFL goes out of its way to protect Patrick Mahomes, the Chiefs. They get all the calls. Ye and look, I understand, you know two of those calls with Mahomes should have gone the other way. Nothing should have been called. In my opinion, I agree. Do I think he flaunts the uh hey look at me, you can't touch me? Yes, I do. I agree, But I don't you know, when fans get into the conspiracy theory of all the you know, the NFL wants the Chiefs to win, that's where they lose me. Why why?
Speaker 7: Right? They take it too far? They take it too far. But Daan, let's be honest.
Speaker 8: They get every call, know the man I mean, and then Mahomes then he flaunts it by trying to steal another fifteen yards. It cost him a field goal in the first drive of the game. It would have been they would have had a punt. They it spearheaded their touchdown drive on that fifteen yard penalty.
Speaker 7: They got a call against.
Speaker 8: The Raiders where the Raiders recovered the fumble, and then they said, oh no, no, it was a legal procedure, so the call had been stopped, so the play there was no play. That was the Friday after Thanksgiving. They called the two penalties, and somehow good Al must have gotten on the phone and told the official, hey called the other one, because let's call the play dead.
Speaker 7: That never occurred.
Speaker 8: I didn't understand that they got a call against Philadelphia in the Super Bowl. I never would have called that hold which ruined the game, because then they can just, you know, take three knees and kick the game winning field goal. That call I do not make under any circumstances. And they're great reads. Great Mahomes is the great. We all understand that that's a great franchise, hunts great honor.
Speaker 7: We get that. But I don't know how anybody could sit there and watch the Chiefs over the last eight nine years and think they don't get any calls. A lot of the Chief fan will bring up, well, how about the off side that coursed.
Speaker 8: Us the game against New England. He was twenty feet off sides. You had to call that. How about the left tackle always moves early? Who they never make that call when he moves early. He moves early every single time, and they never made the call. They made it once this week, thank god, but generally they never make the They never call that. I'm chiefed out, Dan, I'm chiefed out. And now all of a sudden, Caitlin Clark is a Chief fan. Let me get this straight. We watched Caitlin a wonderful athlete, great, we all know how great she is, great for the sport. I never saw her once where a Chief Jersey, where a chief has have her father were the Chiefs.
Speaker 7: And now all of a sudden she's a huge Chief fan.
Speaker 8: Oh come on, I think myself, I think America has had enough with Kansas City. Dan, I'm so hard for Buffalo on Sunday afternoon, I'm gonna beg that Alan finally gets to a Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Caitlyn Clark has announced her fandom with the Chiefs years Ago.
Speaker 7: I never heard that.
Speaker 2: Ye, yes, yes, he's a Chief fan. She knows yes Mahomes, Yes, yes.
Speaker 7: She knows about Super Bowl one.
Speaker 2: No, no, she wasn't born yet. He may know about Jamal Charles. I don't know Chris, but she she doesn't know. You know who is it? Fred the Hammer Williamson does?
Speaker 8: She knows Miami couble over time twenty seven, twenty four and Christmas for the one of the most famous games in a history in the National Football League.
Speaker 2: Probably you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: I know what I'm saying. I know, Dan, You're not chiefed out. You're not chiefed out.
Speaker 2: Oh I am, I am. But but whose fault is it that they show Caitlyn Clark or they show Taylor Swift. It's not Caitlyn Clark and Taylor Swift. So why don't you call your network friends? Why don't you call your bosses that you know? You know Sean mcmaanor is one? Good point?
Speaker 7: Good job, Danny.
Speaker 8: Last year I had mcmanuson because CBS had the game and obviously had all the Chief games, and.
Speaker 7: Shawan made a big deal about how they only.
Speaker 8: Showed uh Swift three though I had them on at the super Bowl at the Masters before his last event, and I asked him about swift at the super Bowl.
Speaker 7: That says only on a shortter for like three minutes.
Speaker 8: What he didn't tell me He showed them thirty eight times during that game in the booth. Thirty eight times enough already, I get it. She likes the chiefs. Her boyfriend's the tight end.
Speaker 2: It's not her fault, Chris, it's not her. What can she say? Hey, I don't. I don't want you to put the camera on me.
Speaker 7: I good, so I believe it in the networks? Is that what you want me to say?
Speaker 2: I mean they show Robert Kraft. Do you get upset when they cut away to roams the team? Who wants to see Robert Kraft?
Speaker 7: I get it, I get it.
Speaker 2: Jerry Jones getting his glasses cleaned. It's enterteam and.
Speaker 7: Chris, we're not chiefed out then I am?
Speaker 2: I am? Because they're so good.
Speaker 7: The home doesn't get Mahomes doesn't get every calling on the man.
Speaker 2: That might be true, but see, I don't want that to clout our judgment. Chris that well, he is unbelievable. And I made this mistake with Bjorn Borg. I didn't like Borg because he stood in the way of John McEnroe. He always beat John, and I got I hated Borg for no other reason. So I missed that entire run how great he was because my mind was like God, I don't like him because he beats John McEnroe. Mahomes Is. So I mean, this is rarefied air.
Speaker 7: Now, remember that's fair.
Speaker 8: Last year I went on everywhere and said he's the best quarterback, greatest quarterback I've ever seen. I did it all that, I did it on first day, all aft me. How's he better than Brady? How's he better than this.
Speaker 7: That and the other?
Speaker 2: You and I?
Speaker 7: You and I go back far enough.
Speaker 8: You saw Unitis, You and I about the same age you saw Unitis.
Speaker 7: You and I saw Starback.
Speaker 8: You know, we we've heard of Sammy Ball, We've we've heard of Otto Graham, Sula Shula at the New Ordan super Bowl, and that would have been the Pittsburgh, No, that would have been San Francisco, Baltimore.
Speaker 7: I had Don Shooter, and I'm sure you had him.
Speaker 8: On that same week he came in a wheelchair and we were talking about great quarterbacks. Took the first thing he said, don't forget about Otto, don't forget.
Speaker 7: About Auto Graham.
Speaker 8: So you and I know the quarterbacks, and I think Mahomes is the greatest quarterback I've ever seen. I can't get him a better compliment than that, and I think you probably feel.
Speaker 7: The same way.
Speaker 2: I have a picture that PAULI just got me. Caitlyn Clark looks like she's about eight years old. She's with her cousins and she has her chiefs Jersey.
Speaker 7: Oh, you guys are Caitlin Clark?
Speaker 2: Now, would you like to issue an apology?
Speaker 8: Is she?
Speaker 7: What does she?
Speaker 8: Hanks Stram Now, I guess I guess I should to be picking on Caitlin Clark and Chief doubt I'm cheaping.
Speaker 7: And Dan those calls on Saturday were bush league. Those are bush league calls.
Speaker 2: Brady versus Belichick. The Verdict three part event hosted by Chris Oh okay, who's more critical to the success of the Patriots Dynasty Tom or Bill The premiers tonight at ten eastern on Vice TV and weekly on Tuesday. Okay, they did it great.
Speaker 7: They did a great job with this. You know I did the panel with him.
Speaker 8: You did a panel first with Carl Banks, Peter King, Devin mccordy, and then you know, they said would your mind coming back and sort of sort of setting up the scenes. So the first episode will be why Brady's more significant to the Patriots success, the second one is Belichick, and then the third one the Tuesday before the Super Bowl. It's sort of a discussion where we kind of break it down and you got somebody say this, and somebody say that they did a great job, and they go into weeds. This is not your you know, shrub where you don't, yeah, you kind of just do the surface on.
Speaker 7: They do it.
Speaker 8: They have everybody comment, everybody from players, costas. They do a great job with it. I spent, you know, two full days doing the two scenes. Each show is an hour. I can't tell you enough how Gary Myers was involved. He wrote a lot of good stuff about it. He was sort of the ep of it, and you know, and the verdict means, you know, at the end of the third episode, I kind of give you where we all stand and I kind of give you a verdict. I'm sort of just a quarterback of it. The panel does a great job, and I think the average fan will be able to make a good decision of what percentage each should get for the six championships in New England.
Speaker 7: That's the idea of it. I think it'd be impressed.
Speaker 2: It's a good show, right, It's called The Verdict. Brady versus Belichick tonight at ten eastern on Vice TV. The Baseball Hall of Fame announcement later on today, six eastern. Each year, ro Cc Sabbathia, Billy Wagner.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Wagner's going to get in because he's ways.
Speaker 8: He's seventy three point four percent of the vote last year and this is last year of eligibility. Gage No, I don't know if myself, if I think Wagner is a Hall of Famer. He was not good in postseason play, and that's how relievers, in my eyes, should be judged. But he'll get those extra votes. Sabathia will probably get into. He's got a lifetime three point seventy four.
Speaker 7: E RA, which is high.
Speaker 8: But Sabathia was a tremendous big game pitcher, pitch when you know on sacrifice three days rest from Milwaukee when he was going to be a big free agent. I'll live with that and Hetros and no Graham, So I haven't looked at that list as significant as I probably should. There's probably a couple of others there. Andrew Jones, for instance. I'm not sure what people.
Speaker 7: Think about him.
Speaker 2: Bell Trump, Yeah, that ten.
Speaker 8: Years now of eligibility. But it's a big day for baseball. They have fun with this. You and I love this kind of stuff. Would you put Sabbathiw in if you were voting, If you put in if you were voting, would you put both in?
Speaker 2: Yeah you would. Yeah. Wagner's greatest left handed closer of all time. And I agree with you. You know with postseason that that's what we want to see with closers each your ow no brainer. But yeah, Sabbathew was a workhorse. Like that guy would take the ball. Milwaukee abused him before they knew they were going to lose him, Like you're pitching again. I just pitched yesterday, Get out there, pitch again.
Speaker 7: I mean he had the guts to take the ball. Yeah, he should be rewarded for that. And that was before his three agency when he went to the Yankees.
Speaker 2: I don't get caught up in era because Jack Morris is one of my favorite pitchers, because the guy was an ace for three different franchises. And all he did was give me the ball. I'm going to pitch as long as you know I can possibly pitch. We get caught up in e RA. I know we use it, we can use stats differently, but I still want somebody who wants the ball and you're not going to burn up the bullpen. And I was just a big Jack Morris fan.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean he got in via the writer, by the executive committee. He did not get in bya the writers. And he was fifteen years I believe you know. I could go either way with Morris. No use to fight that argument now because he's in the Hall of Fame. I didn't think Bli Levin was a Hall of Fame pitcher myself.
Speaker 2: What about Tommy John, Well.
Speaker 7: I know he's got too in seventy four light time wins? Is that what it is?
Speaker 2: I think he's got to eighty eight to eighty eight.
Speaker 7: Do you think Tommy John was a great pitcher? I never thought he was. Waits good Wait.
Speaker 2: Don gron Sutton wasn't great, But I.
Speaker 8: Agree with you, and he's got three hundred wins, so that got him into the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 7: I agree with you.
Speaker 8: I don't know if I would have voted for someton. No, he got through the wins. I mean, Field Negro was a great he met a great all time pitcher. But he's got three ure and forty something wins because he pitched forever with the knuckleball. Yeah, but do you think Tommy John, when you watched Tommy John Danny, did you think you were watching a Hall of Fame pitcher.
Speaker 7: I didn't think so, did you?
Speaker 2: What about contributions to the game.
Speaker 7: Because of the injury, with the with the with the army. You know, you get a don't you give the surgeon that more so than you give time.
Speaker 2: No, because he had to go out. He won twenty games I think three times after having that surgery. He had to prove that it would be successful.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, I don't look at it that way. But that's fair. I mean, if you wanted to say that, that's a little adendum.
Speaker 8: Fan.
Speaker 7: Now, he's never going to get in. But I'll tell you the guy that.
Speaker 8: I can't understand that's not in the Hall of Fame, and that's Garvey. How is Steve Garvey not in the Hall of Fame? He won an MVP, He's a three forty eight hitter in the postseason. He's a two ninety four lifetime hitter. He had that consecutive game streak. He dominated the Cubs in the eighty five player in the eighty four playoffs when they got to the World Series. He was a mainstay on a very good Dodger team for what ten twelve years? He won an MVP, He had two hundred hits a million times. How is Tony Perez is in the Hall of Fame and not Steve Garvey? How the hell is that possible? That's ridiculous. Garvey hit three point forty dan in postseason playing.
Speaker 7: He was in the postseason every year.
Speaker 2: But you know what, if you talk to the Reds to a man and you said, the games on the line, you want somebody up, they give you Tony pres Johnny Bench will tell you that they all looked at at Doggie and uh, you know, Tony Prez, and that was the guy that they wanted up in a clutch moment.
Speaker 7: That says, but the Dodgers. You would you could say the same thing about Gary. But the Dodgers, it's true that because they don't like.
Speaker 2: Garby and he's a ten time All Star. I have no problem with that. Oh, you know what, I gotta go. Caitlin Clark wants you to talk about see you, buddy, Christopher mad Dog Russo, it's the verdict. It's Brady Belichick to night ten Eastern on Vice TV.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am pacifics on Fox Sports Radio and The iHeart a.
Speaker 2: Wap Rick new Heiel, former college coach, now works for CBS Sports. He was at the national title game. He joins us on the program. What did you expect before the start of this game?
Speaker 9: I expected exactly what the first half gave us, which was a Buckeye kind of one sided affair. I thought the Buckeye defense, which had been outstanding much of the season, even going back to the Michigan game, would have their way. And because Will Howard and this receiver crew had been unlocked during the playoffs, averaging over three hundred yards a game, I thought that would be too much for the largely playing man defense of Notre Daday.
Speaker 2: You know, when Marcus Freeman comes out to start the second half, he looks like a guy who is out in the water and there's a big wave coming just to take him under. What is that feeling like when you really you're holding on for dear life.
Speaker 9: Well, I mean he had to take some shots, and it just was amazing that Jadeen Grethouse had the same kind of second half he did Riley Leonard seventeen to twenty two in the second half over two hundred yards. I mean, where was that. They really hadn't needed that portion of their offense much of the season, and yet there it was when they summoned it. And you just kind of wonder. Great House who had over one hundred yards receiving in both the last two games. That's amazing that he wasn't more utilized over the course of the year.
Speaker 2: How did Notre Dame make it interesting.
Speaker 9: With Great House and Mitchell Evans and you know guys rose to the occasion a couple of great two point plays. I mean, this was a well coached football team. They got everything out of this team all season long. Is a unique Notre Dame team because you don't remember Notre Dame teams with six year players and a bunch of transfers that that's not normal.
Speaker 2: For Notre Dame.
Speaker 9: Who you know, days in the days of Lou Holtz and Dan Deviney. You've got four years to play and then you matriculated on this was They've grown into the college football scene, how it's being played now, and I think they got everything out of this team. I think everybody left the stadium last night kind of happy with the way their team played.
Speaker 2: After Ohio State lost to Michigan, I wondered on that Monday, you know, without this twelve team playoff, would he have kept his job? And now obviously he's going to keep his job, But I wonder what this twelve team playoff does to the rivalry with Michigan moving forward that it used to be. If you lost that game, you lost any hope to win a national championship.
Speaker 9: You know, that rivalry is so ingrained in the culture of those two states that I don't think anything is going to go.
Speaker 2: Away in that rivalry.
Speaker 9: Michigan, you know, feels like, hey, we beat the national champs. We were the national champs. It's the first time Dan since the Big Ten one back to back national championship since I think sixty five and sixty six. That's an incredible thing for Tony Petiti for the Big Ten. But if you're asking ohiuse eight fans and Michigan fans. If that game's going to go anyway closer to diminishing importance, no way, no chance.
Speaker 2: Talking to Rick new Heisl, he was there last night joining us from Atlanta the National title game. If I said you could have Jeremiah Smith or Travis Hunter.
Speaker 9: Ooh, that's a good one. I think Jeremiah Smith beats Travis Hunter if they play head to head. If you put Travis Hunter out there at corner, just because even if Travis Hunter can stay with him, Jeremiah Smith sighs allows him to make the play. It's he's a unique, unique athlete. I watched him walking around in the lobby at the hotel here and just that is a man in a very young body. That is he's he's a tough he's a tough out. And listen, Notre Dame with that third down right there, had to play man. They had to come after him. That that was the down that gave them their only chance. And uh, it wasn't an accident that Will Howard went to number four.
Speaker 2: What happens in the off season with college football, great question.
Speaker 9: I think that they're going to get closer and closer I keep wanting for collective bargaining, But when I asked the question to those who really can make things happen in college football, they say, collectively bargain with who that they do the players really get benefit from assembling and unionizing and becoming an organization. All they're going to do is lose things in that regard rather than gain things. So I think we're going to get closer to contracts some you know, UH some employment relationship with the UH, with the student athletes, and and I think hopefully we'll get there sooner than later so we can get our arms around it. We've got to saw of getting to the finish line with both coaches and players. Intact, we've got to solve this transfer portal thing. This kid leaving from Wisconsin to Miami and saying I don't need to be in the portal throws a whole wrench into that conversation. And then we've got to make sure that, in my estimation, that we hang on to the entirety of Division one rather than try to keep leaning towards this the super Conference that a lot of private money's trying to influence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's gonna happen. Rick, I just I think they it's money. They're just looking at it. All of this is money. That's why we went to twelve team. That's why we'll go to fourteen, and in probably you know, six or seven years, we'll go to sixteen teams.
Speaker 9: Well, the fact that all four teams were a bye loss, we might go to sixteen sooner than later, given the fact it didn't look like an advantage. As the old man said to the young man, the answers money. Now what was the question? You're exactly right on that super conference. I just would like everybody to look at themselves in the mirror and say, is this what we had intended when we started college football, which was supposed to be about enhancing the education of young people. And if we actually eliminate scholarships because there are a number of programs that can't participate because we just say only these many are television darlings, what have we done? And I think if we borrow a little bit of the European soccer model, with some relegation and promotion, you can give the little guys some access, you can give the big guys some incentive, and you can create more television drama, which obviously resonates with the czars of television because college football right now is the number two television draw in America, NFL being one, college football being two, and the other professional leagues behind them and really not close. So I would argue that there's a way to preserve what we have in college football and most importantly, preserve all those scholarships.
Speaker 2: More likely to coach in the NFL. Marcus Freeman or Ryan Day. Great question. I think my answer right now is Ryan Day. But Marcus Freeman is a rock star. There's no there's no getting around that. He's a rock star. It was a marvelous job at Notre Dame. He's going to look and keep pushing the envelope with Pete the back with a new ad and try to say, how can we get more guys that look like those guys in the white last night. Great to talk to you is always have a great off season, Rick, thanks for joining us DP.
Speaker 9: It's always a pleasure. Happy New Year, my brother.
Speaker 2: That's Rick Neuheisel.