Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Daybreak Asia podcast. I'm Doug Chrisner. In the US, the Treasury is deepening its result to get government bond yields lower. On Thursday, the Department said its expanding efforts to buy back longer term government debt. In an interview with CNBC, Treasury Secretary Besson said buybacks could be more than four billion dollars per operation. You may recall on Wednesday, the Treasury Department surprised markets in saying it would increase by at least double the size of buybacks for longer dated securities. Now, that announcement, to be fair did send long term yields lower, but the move proved to be short lived. For a closer look, I'm joined by Bloomberg's David Finnerty. He is our FX and rate strategist, joining from our studios in Singapore. David, thank you for being here. So we ended the New York session on Thursday at four point seven zero percent, But if you look at where we were Wednesday, the impact of that move by the Treasury Department was like a flash in the pan. What's your sense of what's happening?
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think look, at the end of the day, you had to put everything in perspective. He's certainly sick, he being the Scott Vesson is certainly signaling intentions, but in reality do those intentions come to fruition. And one of the catches is literally for him, is the size of the bond market. I mean, we had headlines out, we had been Bloomberg had headlines out this week saying that the public deads is forty trillion now and obviously increasing. So you had to think, Okay, that's a BIG's bonds of alterations and everything, but that's a huge pulse. So if you're talking about a few billion, which is you say large, but in the scale of forty trillion, you go, that's jump change really, And I think this is one of the problems that Besson has in the end of day. It's like any intervention he tries to do, depending on the gale of it, will have a limited impact. And even as we've seen the intervention with Japan, it doesn't change have a largely impact. It doesn't change the fundamentals. Now Scott person said, well, the markets is missing the fundamentals. The market will quickly go no we're not. Oil is rising again, flacerym pressures are building, inflation is still above the target. You're running ever, us being is running ever and ever growing larger public deficits. So at the end of the day, the treasury market goes, look what you're borrowing from us. We're the lender. We sort of set the rate, and it's based on what we perceive. So you can say we're wrong, but we are the lender and we will say what the price is. So at the end of the day, I think he's he said last year, Look he wants to ten year yields. Are He's and the Trump's administration focus. Therefore, obviously he can't be happy with the direction they're going. But if you're the treasury market and the lenders, you're going, well, I'm raising the price because in reality good reason too.
Speaker 2: Racerprise, Well, you touched on two key things, one being the level of inflation here in the US well above the Fed's target. One of the reasons that there may have been a little upward pressure on the bond market or on the long term end of the treasury curve, particularly at a time when I think the market's struggling to figure out where the FED is in the conversation around inflation. We know what we have heard from Chair Walsh saying that he is adamant about getting inflation under control. I think the bond market may be a little confused though, with some of the messaging that's attached to that. Then there is the fiscal deficit story, which you touched upon. I'm wondering too when you look at the flood of AI related debt that's coming to market, new corporate supply and the level of competition that that introduces for US treasuries, whether that has become a major factor as well.
Speaker 4: Look, it certainly has. I think you go to basic equalost one oh one prices determined by a supply and demand, and demand for longer term bonds we view it that way rather than just treasuries is affected by supply. So you're you know, if I'm buying treasuries, I'm looking more what else could I buy? So, yes, there's different risk parameters certainly within that context. But in the day it's you know, a long bond to long bond and you're going to pick what you want. This whole supply will impact that sort of pricing, So I think That is another factor again that has to be borne into this, and you have to think that with the deficit. Obviously we don't know what public deficits this year, but last year was over five percent. The years before that it's been over five percent, being over six percent. You know, this is the catch for the US is at the end of the day, it continues to run a public deficit no matter who is in charge. It could be democrat, it could be Republican. Over the last twenty or so years, it doesn't matter who is in charge, the deficit gets larger and larger and larger because they keep running percent deficit. Evenf you do its percentage GDP, which is a fair barometer, it's still five to six percent or higher during COVID times. And that is the catch. It's just ever growing. So the supplies coming in from the treasury is coming on from corporates, and at the end of the day, with the present exists the inflation pressures, the market is going, look, this is what we deem to be a fair price. Now, circumstances could change, and they say the price will change. In theory, the market has all the information and therefore it makes an outcurate price and goes that's the fair price. So while, as said Scott Bessett may say it's missing some fundamental data or whatever, the market goes, no, I'm not. And I think what becomes really interesting now is we'll have Scott Persant talk maybe today, maybe early next week. But then very quickly we go to Governor wash and there's Jackson the whole speech, and it's going to be very interesting to see what he says given this backdrop, and given a backdrop that he doesn't like communicating forward guidance. What at the end of the day, if you don't give the market something next week, the market's going, Okay, I'm just gonna do what I want to do.
Speaker 2: Let's talk a little bit about what's going on in Japan because we have the print on CPI for the month of July, so retail inflation in Japan accelerated for a second straight month. Overall CPI up at an annual rate of one point nine percent. Do you think that's going to keep pressure on the boj to really tighten again in the near term, maybe as soon as September.
Speaker 4: But be honest, whatever that data was, and this it came in way, way, way on the estimate, which obviously didn't. Then I think the boj is at the moment for vehetoric is I'm hiking in September of not definitely October. And basically now the market's going, we're pricing that in. So you sort of have to unforcing your hand. Now the signals are that you're going to do it. I'm they go taking you at your word. If you do not do it, therefore, the gen will come to pressure very very quickly. So really in the day, you know, you could go, oh, September two over. You know, it's a month between pick which one you want Septembers that can it's certainly a good chance one in September. I think the question becomes now again even at the next meeting, is if they hike or not hike. If they don't hike, they go, okay, October's basically the market's going, you've got to do it in October. Now, then the question becomes how many more hikes are we going that? So you're looking not just when the hike is, it's how many more hikes? Where is that terminal rate? And how quickly are we getting there? The indications are a quicker process so rather than being once every six months, maybe once a quarter, you know, something like that. So but the market literally cares about that, how quick, how high where we going? We've priced in something? Are we accurate or not accurate? And if we're not accurate, we will just upwards or downwards accordingly.
Speaker 2: So as I'm listening to you, I'm trying to understand what the market suspects the BOJ is up to, and if tightening were to become more aggressive, how the Japanese bond market and how the end might react.
Speaker 4: Certainly, if you're looking at dollar yen, I do think it's the dollar side of the equation that really kicks in. I think with the markets already looking for rate hikes for Japan, like you know, two or three already priced in over the next year. Yes, you could be more hawkish than that, but realistically is that going to happen? Unlikely, I would say. So therefore you go, okay, if it's back to the dollar side of the equation, which again I think comes back to whatever Scott Busset's trying to do. What does the governor war signal? What's the data coming in on? Because again, without signals, the markets go I need the data and be fair. The US data has been coming in quite solid. Inflation is above expectations, but you know, the growth is quite solid. We have PMI data out today. Market we look at that, so all all the markets still going. Look, I think you're doing the rate hike this year or certainly soon. You know, you'd really need that to be unwined and unwound pretty quickly for dolly en to really move lower on the On that side, I think when you're looking at Japanese yields as a catch there, generally, I think the catches not only what does the government do in terms of its deficits obviously that's a functioning what does but also what the global yels do. I mean, you have to remember they all get caught up in this global tide, and certainly where US goes, it tends to pull other yields with them. So even if I'm in Japan, even though I do policies to say, hey, look, you know, faces under control, blah blah blah, at the end of the day, if US yields, say, were to drift higher, just historically, you know, it pulls everything higher with it. It just does. So you know, the factors outside of Japan could even impact have a bit end up having a bigger impact on Japanese yels and even potentially domestic policy.
Speaker 2: Interesting. David, always a pleasure. Thank you so very much. David Finnerdy Bloomberg FX and Rate strategists joining from Singapore here on the Daybreak Asia podcast. Welcome back to the Daybreak Asia Podcast. I'm Doug Krisner. We moved next to the earnings from Ali Baba, China's e commerce leader, delivered nine percent revenue growth that was in line with expectations. However, net profit plunged seventy five percent after the company increased capital spending to nearly ten billion dollars. We got reaction from Sean Yang. Sean is senior research analyst at Arite Research. He spoke with Bloomberg TV host Heidi Stroud Watts and Paul Allen.
Speaker 1: Obviously, we're seeing so many of these companies caught up in the cycle of the AI investment spend at the moment. How do you place Alibaba within that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think Alibaba has a clear strategy.
Speaker 3: It's something they called a full stack as strategy, So basically they have tea haas which their own GPU. They have cloud illiness and which I think that invest a lot of resources to that.
Speaker 5: They also have quin models, so they also have large Numbrant models.
Speaker 3: So I think Barba sasays it that you know, we don't know probably just now that's not very clear that which layer would capture the most value. But since we have all layers, so no matter how like a developments like goals that Baba will capture the like the value of AI.
Speaker 1: In terms of amongst the competitors, right, how strong do you think is the lead in terms of how investors feel like it's a favorite. There is a bet that obviously it can beat the competitors when it comes to the AI race. Do you think it matters within this kind of ecosystem where there are more and more national champions being supported in China.
Speaker 3: Well, I think this is very interesting question big us As we said that you know, bar basically has everything right, so which means that also UB has a lot of competitors and Barber needs to compete with for example, they need to compete with large leng model players like there are a couple of independence companies like deep c, Jipu and Minimax and Kimmy.
Speaker 5: They also need to compete with you know, ten Cent.
Speaker 3: Clouds, Buydown's Cloud, Volcano Cloud and you know, and also that they have a small business in GPU, so I wouldn't say that, you know, Badwei is a strong competitive Barber, But anyway, I think that's I think the key point is there about the model capability, because I think that Barber has the largest share market share in clouds, so they definitely have a clear advantage in cloud business.
Speaker 5: But the problem is about I think it's about.
Speaker 3: Like largely last length model that you see that you know, the Deeps and Kimmi. They all try to like promote publish their models like much more frequently, and this is a highly competitive market. So I think in terms of large lage model performance, I think Barba probably facing the most intensive right competition.
Speaker 6: Well, Ali Baba and as competitors have something in common. They all spend enormous amounts and borrow enormous amounts on developing their AI capabilities. I mean, we heard the CEO saying that, look, you see Ali Baba's recouping its overall AI investment in three years. Do you think that's a credible timeline? Do you have any concerns about the amount of spending.
Speaker 3: I think that's I think Baba's management is right at this stage because I think the compute is super like intensified. There's kind of like shortage in terms of like computes, so which means that the clients are customers enterprises are willing to pay more for the computes for the clouds. And if you see these large legal model companies like deep seek, people say that dip they only provide a football models. They also increase the prices. So I think at this stage this is right, and I think the like this, like supplying bottomneck, will continue for several several quarters, for several years. But I think there's some uncertainties in the future. For example, if Baba, when the Biba could continue to keep its large neck model at the frontier model, otherwise that Baba will become a company can only provide like you know, cloud service and computes that were full into competition, that's like price competition with other cloud service providers. The other thing is about you know, besides for example, besides the demand side, besides coding, what else the AI like industry could provides.
Speaker 5: Is there a large scenario. I think this is also a key question.
Speaker 3: So I think it's basically, you know, I still a demand like and versus like supply issues.
Speaker 5: The demand is.
Speaker 3: Very strong, everything is fine, so you know, my clos is they're right now.
Speaker 5: But I think that's we need to like waiting to see.
Speaker 6: Yeah, in terms of wait and see, we left with any other unanswered questions at the end of that earning school things that you really want to hear a bit more clarity on from Ali Baba.
Speaker 3: I think probably that's you know, about the more detailed breakdown of.
Speaker 5: What they determine as r C. You know, basically this SA is three years. You know, can't reach to break hiven points. That's one question.
Speaker 3: The other one is that everybody is focusing on the AI, but there are a lot of other moving parts, like the e commerce, like their losses in like for delivery.
Speaker 5: I mean, barber is.
Speaker 3: A whole group that you know, definitely people can't value only on AI. People also need to look at other things and the the and I think that's the model.
Speaker 5: Capability is also very important.
Speaker 3: I mean, I can't feel that a lot of als just to try to say they have very good like R and D resources and development capability, but whether that can transfer to like the like good models, results.
Speaker 5: Outcome or results, that is something highly upseertain.
Speaker 1: Sean I wanted to talk a bit about and of course and Financial at one point was really the crown jewel of this company, right and it's been very much under the radar for a few years since that appure stalled. What do you think of these sort of reasons overtures for fund raising? And obviously they're also expanding a lot more in terms of the AI investment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think and Financial is definitely bit more active in terms of your rights of fund raising. I think they're also launching some like AI like projects. That is something we see actually across the China Internet industry that seems like more Chinese intent companies trying to catch up with this AI wave.
Speaker 5: And you know, they definitely want to have more like projects.
Speaker 3: But does that mean that and Financial for example, some people say it's reconsidering no I PO or something. I'm not I don't have like specific information about that, but I think that's that you can say, that's that's correct. The I think the signal is very clear, that's no one wants to, you know, get behind in this recent AI do.
Speaker 1: Whether or not the i peo gets revived, that's obviously a regulatory issue. But the seeking of capital, for example, does that sort of sidestep the issue of the apio being being being stored. Do we see kind of fresh capital injections, is being able to make some of these units a little bit more compelling?
Speaker 3: Well, I think that's this is purely expectation, and I mean you probably, I think that's the what I can say that we see that a lot of new companies like IPO recently, for example, she is going to IPO, so which means that there's definitely more friendly market, uh and to this new like internet or new like high tech companies. But I think and financial I think the story their story is a little bit special. I think that you know, as you said, that's the regulation is still concerned and the other thing probably that's about their own like you know, development, because you know, I think their business is also highly a social associated with China macroeconomy. And I'm not very sure about their recent detailed operational numbers for example, like payment volume, all.
Speaker 5: These kind of things.
Speaker 3: But I assume that they're also facing like high winds in terms of growth.
Speaker 5: So I think that regulation is one thing.
Speaker 3: The other thing that's for example, let's say when they are ready to like face to the investors scrutiny, can they present a better story? And if yes, and but what is that Definitely that we said that they probably have like kind of like had winds in their coinisms, so well, yeah, be a news story for them. That's something that's definitely we need you up like wait and see.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Sean, we've got Ali Baba's Hong Kong listed shares up about nine percent over the past year. What's your outlook here? Do you have a price target for the sock going up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have a target price. I think it's something that runs like like one hundred eight or on hundred and nine or something. We we set the like tacket price very high. I think that's the main reason that we think that, you know, Ali Baba's strategy in air Cloud is something like definitely correct and they are definitely the player that we capture a lot of value in this AI boom. We recognize the weakness of ecumbers, but we think that you know, like insets, you know, this is this is something that's you know, bub is trying to have Baba has done a lot of things trying to you know, like a like face the like hadwinds and also the other driver in the post their losses in like your food delivery because they're trying to narrow the loss so which we think that's group providers put for the EPs croes.
Speaker 2: That was Sean Yang, senior research analyst at Arata Research, speaking with Bloomberg TV host Heidi Stroud Watts and Paul Allen bringing you their conversation here on the Daybreak Asia Podcast. Thanks for listening to today's episode of the Bloomberg Daybreak Asia Edition podcast. Each weekday, we look at the story shaping markets, finance, and geopolitics in the Asia Pacific. You can find us on Apple, Spotify, the Bloomberg Podcast YouTube channel, or anywhere else you listen. Join us again tomorrow for insight on the market moves from Hong Kong to Singapore and Australia. I'm doingtener and this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: M hmm