Speaker 1: On any golf course, the greens are the center of gravity. About forty percent of the shots you hit in a given round on a regulation course will be putts. Around half or more than half of the shots that you hit will be either putts or chips, and any approach shot that you hit, at least any decent approach shot you hit, will interact with the green or it surrounds. So today's topic is a very important one. In this installment of our Golf Architecture one oh one series, we're talking about greens, how they're designed, how they're built, and what makes a good one. I'm Garrett Morrison and this is designing golf as usual in Golf Architecture one oh one. I am joined by my colleague PJ Clark. How you doing, PJ? Hello.
Speaker 2: I'm excited for this one.
Speaker 3: Unlike I would say the majority of our prior Golf Architecture one on one experiences, I truly have no idea what I'm walking into today, so I'm very excited for this.
Speaker 1: So what is it about the topic of greens that that kind of opens up possibilities for you or it makes you wonder where we might be gone with this?
Speaker 3: I feel like in prior episodes there was maybe a little bit of homework, So I have I had done something no homework. I've done absolutely nothing to get prepared for this. There's not like a It's very open ended, as you just alluded to. Feels like a lot of directions we could go here. Whereas you know, we were doing a history lesson or Mackenzie thirteen principles all things like that, it's very confined to this one specific segment. Whereas greens there are a lot of them. There's actually eighteen of them on basically every golf course possible, So I feel like there's unlimited possibilities that you're about to hit me with right now.
Speaker 1: It's a big topic, partly because of how important greens are in golf architecture. So yeah, a number of different things that we could talk about related to greens. You know, just to start off, do you have any takes about greens? Have you have you thought about green design, green architecture before? What? What do you like or not like in greens? Have any thoughts come to your mind about this area of golf course design before?
Speaker 3: Not particularly, I'm when I'm out there playing golf poorly, I'm really just focused on how am I getting the ball in the hole. So I think, you know, there are greens, you know, like punch bowls or funnels, you know those are fun for somebody that's bad that I get to, like, you know, ride a little ridge that could get me closer to the hole. Again, the ball of the games about getting the ball in the hole. But no, I can't say it's something that I actively think about. I understand I'm probably wrong in doing that, so excited to learn why.
Speaker 1: No, there's no wrong or right here. You know, if you enjoy punch balls, you enjoy punch bowls, that's you know, who doesn't on occasion like to see their ball actually go toward the hole when it gets on the edge of a green Once in a while, Yeah, just once in a while. So you know, I wanted to do this episode partly because we have to do this episode in any kind of one on one series, you got to talk about greens eventually, but also more specifically because I've often seen a divide in the way that greens are discussed among golfers. When non architecture geeks say that a course has good greens, they're typically talking about the condition of those greens, right, they're talking about whether they roll smoothly and quickly. That's good versus bad grains. Good greens are in good shape, bad greens are in bad shape. Is that's something that you've you've picked up on among just among the among the gem pop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely than thousand percent.
Speaker 3: That would would basically be the way I or any of my friends would refer to to greens on whether they're beat up or not more than anything else.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, if you want to get along with people in a normal way, if you just want to be normal, then this is this is how you talk about greens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I get that, So I certainly have that box check.
Speaker 1: Now when architecture heads say good greens, I think they mean something very different, right, And and that's gonna that's going to kind of be the governing principle of our episode here. What makes a good green beyond it just being smooth and fast? In other words, what makes a green well designed, not just well conditioned. A lot of this is obviously subjective, so so we'll discuss that as we go along. You know, not everybody has to like the same type of design and greens. But I think there's a lot more to this subject than just the condition of the greens, though we will talk about how greens can come to be well conditioned because that has to do with design and construction as well. So admittedly a pretty daunting topic to cover in one episode. You know, in my intro I talked about how many of the shots we hit during a normal round that interact with greens thirty to forty putts per round, depending on how we're putting, you know, a handful of chips and pitches and recoveries from greenside bunkers, and then of course eighteen approach shots assuming those approaches get somewhere in the vicinity of the green. All of these all of these shots are in some way or another engaging with the design and the condition of the greens. So it stands to reason, of course that a golf architect would put an inordinate amount of effort into the design and construction of greens. So very high stakes portion of the golf course for an architect, right.
Speaker 2: It's a good way of putting it a tie stakes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is arguably the most important part, as you said there, So yeah, that's a good way of putting it.
Speaker 1: If you screw up the greens. Nobody's happy with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now you're spending a lot of time on them, So yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: All the details need to be right. And the result of this is that greens are the most heavily artificial components of any golf course, especially on a modern golf course. They are more intensively shaped than anything else. They have more drainage and irrigation infrastructure than anything else. So if you really want to assess the abilities of an architect and a construction crew, you need to start with the greens. You look at the greens first to see to see how an architect has performed, and besides that, they just naturally attract the attention of the golfer. CB McDonald had a great quote about this, our old friend C. B. McDonald. He said, putting greens to a golf course are what the face is to a portrait. The clothes the subject wears, the background, whether scenery or whether draperies are simply accessories. The face tells the story and determines the character and quality of the portrait, whether it is good or bad. I think that puts it pretty well. If you have good greens, you probably have a good golf course. The character of the greens is, to a significant degree the character of the golf course. When we take photos of golf courses, think about what you're pointing your camera at. You know, usually you're pointing it at a green, and that is because, yes, indeed, the greens are are the face, and you know, the golf course doesn't really make sense without them. Now, before we get to what makes a good green, because that's the main thing I want to talk about today, what makes a good green, let's talk quickly about Volume two of Frida Egg Golf's coffee table book, Got to do This right, PJ.
Speaker 2: A lot of greens in this In this book, I would assume a.
Speaker 1: Lot of photos of greens, a lot of discussion of greens, a lot of good stuff about if you're interested in green design. It's available for pre order right now. Volume two of our Coffee table book. This is our second collection of course profiles, and I think they really give a sense of what we prioritize in golf course coverage. You know, we do hit some we do hit some legendary courses like like Oakmont, North Barrack, Fisher's Island or All Saint George's Pineish number two. But we also show the other side of the coin. Courses like wild Horse in St. Andrew's Beach, two of the best that you can play anywhere for less than one hundred dollars. Both have fantastic greens. In fact, actually Saint Andrew's Beach, a green at Saint Andrew's Beach is going to come up today. We also have a little chapter on on North Haven, a tiny nine holer on the on an island off the coast of Maine, one of my favorite chapters the book. So you know, a big range of golf course coverage here, and you know this is volume two of our of our coffee table book. But it's not like you have to read volume one in order to understand Volume two. This is this is a fresh new collection with its own identity, and we're really proud of it. I think it's extremely beautiful. And I can say that because I had very little to do with the uh you know, only a few of my photographs are actually in the book, and the design of the book was completely out of my hands. And so yeah, it looks it looks awesome. Pre Orders are open now through September fourth to begin shipping on October seventh. Go grab yours at pro shop dot the fried egg dot com. All right, PJ, Let's get into the factors that make a good or well designed green. The first factor is obviously location. Now we talked a bit about this in our one oh one episode on routing right. Finding well suited compelling sites for greens. That means you can, you know, construct the green in a simpler and more efficient way, and you get more natural results. You don't have to completely manufacture a green if you find a good site for it. You want a variety of green sites throughout the course. You know, you can put greens on ridges, you can put them in valleys, you can put them on knolls or in saddles. You can put them on slopes of various kinds, you know, back to front, front to back side slopes. You know, one thing that I always do when I'm walking through a golf course is I look at what the green site is. And sometimes it's hard to tell, because again greens are heavily artificial, and it can be tough to tell what the natural environment initially was. But if you look around the green, look at the terrain, look at what the general kind of movement of the land is doing. Then you can get a sense for what the original location of the green was and get a sense for how much variety the course has achieved in green sites, Courses where every single green is on a ridge or every single green is in a valley are likely to start to feel a little bit repetitive. So you know, my favorite greens, I think are the ones that really use their natural landscapes and don't rely too much on manufactured features for their identity. They may have manufactured features, but the essential character of the green kind of comes from its location. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I think that.
Speaker 3: I'm now going through I haven't played a ton of DELF recently, but I got to play yesterday. So now I'm going through yesterday and trying to think back to of green sites and seeing if I came up with anything or missed anything.
Speaker 2: This is a great picture here.
Speaker 1: Well, I just brought up a slide show. Now for those who are listening audio only, don't worry. I'm going to describe what's on the slides in a basic way, and it's not going to be totally essential to the experience of this podcast, but we will show some photos of various greens on you in this slide show and they'll be available on YouTube and all that. So the green that I'm showing PJ right now is the third green at Saint Andrew's Beach, a lovely tom Doak golf course in Australia on the Mornington Peninsula. And the reason I chose the third green is that it just has a wonderful natural location and the green just sits in it. It basically sits in a high saddle. There's a ridge and there's kind of a natural notch in that ridge where the green is sitting. And you know, this green derives its character from the landscape. A great site was found, a natural site was found for this green, and that's where it gets its personality from. So these are the kinds of greens that I personally really enjoy, you know, because you're not relying too much on artificiality to create interest. So that is the third green at Saint Andrew's Beach. Any impressions from this photo as you're looking at it right now, PJ.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean it looks like it's supposed to be there, which I think is kind of what you're getting at right, like it looks obviously trees or bushes, shrubbery was cleared out, but it looks like it is just fits in the surrounding environment, like it was just a patch in the middle of these trees that they stuck a flag in. Like it doesn't look like anything was, you know, move too much or out of place, which is appealing to the eye certainly, like it.
Speaker 1: Was meant to be a green, and it might be something that you don't even notice as you're playing golf. You're just like, oh, there's a green. But that can be a good thing that a you know, a green does not take you out of the flow of the round, doesn't take you out of the experience. You just feel like you're experiencing the landscape and that the holes are sitting on the land in a way that feels inevitable or natural, and it doesn't even jump out to you. That can be a good thing because you can focus on other things you don't you aren't focusing on what the architect did. But the architect did a lot here. Tom Doak chose a really good site for the green and made the choice not to do much to it. So that's three at St. Andrew's Beach. That's an example of how we'll go through some of these slides here. We won't again it's an audio medium primarily here, but you'll see some of this stuff on YouTube if you want to. All Right, the second big factor PJ that I think makes a good green after choosing the location is drainage. This isn't the sexiest topic in the world, but it is probably the aspect of green design that architects think about the most and players think about the least. Yeah, and yeah, and yet it's it's so important, right it is. When you talk to architects about building greens, they just talk to you about drainage. I mean, the fund design stuff is it comes up later. One component of drainage is obviously site selection. What we just talked about location. You know, you choose locations that naturally drain well, which is why on older courses you often see greens on ridges, greens on high points, or if they're lower, you see greens kind of next to creeks or natural ditches or other drainage elements that were just in the landscape, so that the water goes off the green and onto this lower ground. So finding sites where there's lower ground around it can really help and saw that with the the third hole at San Andrew's Beach. Even though it's kind of sitting low in its a media environment, there are places where it naturally water will naturally drain away from it. Another component of drainage is conjuring. Greens need to be molded so that the water funnels off and either spreads out or goes into drains. So you can't have places on the green where the water pools right, and there are various ways of doing this. You know, this is sometimes where architects can get into a little bit of trouble because if you're contouring the greens so that it drains off, sometimes you do that in ways that don't look very natural or that look contrived in some way. And you know, often on greens that I would consider kind of poorly shaped or poorly executed. You see what are called catch basins, right, and catch basins are these kind of swales around a green with drains at the bottom of them. Sometimes you see them in fair ways as well, where you know the water will obviously just you know, run into the swale and go down the drain. But when you look at them, it's like, oh, well, that's just that's basically just a gutter sitting there around the green. And you know, catch basins can be necessary sometimes, especially on sites that don't naturally have soils that drain quickly, but they have to be executed in ways that don't call attention to themselves. And I'll show you an example here from Bandon Dunes of a green surrounded by catch basins that I think kind of jump out to the eye and do call attention to themselves in a way that I don't find particularly attractive. So this is the third hole Abandoned Dunes. It's a photo from behind the green, and what we see are kind of these symmetrical swales all around the green, each of which has a drain at the bottom of it. And I just think this green could have been carried out in a more kind of naturalistic way that these drainage elements could have could have been executed better. Now I love this golf course. I think Bandon Dunes is a great golf course, but this is one green where where I think, you know, probably the construction crew could have could have done a little bit better. Does that does that?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Can you see what I'm talking about in in this uh in this image PJ.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I I mean it, at least in a way I understand your your critique from this aerial view. At least it's like, I don't think it's unappealing to look at I I I don't mind like the symmetry. It looks a little kind of even on all sides there that in the catch basins, but the existence of the catch basins, I understand what you're you're you're getting at for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, that was a quick rundown of green construction and drainage. You know. Just keep in mind that this is what this is what architects are talking about when they talk about building greens.
Speaker 3: This is something I've never thought of before in my entire life. So I'm I'm I'm here, this is this is already a win. I think for this episode of Golf Architecture, what I want.
Speaker 1: Perfect Let's get to the third factor that I think makes for a good green, and that is the green's relationship with the rest of the whole. We've talked about this before on Golf Architecture one oh one. This is kind of the central aspect of strategic golf architecture, What is the relationship between the green and what's going on in the fair way and the tea shot. A good green, I think determines the strategic character of the whole. That's the green to tea thinking that we have developed in some past episodes of golf Architecture one O one thinking from the green backwards. The green is really the first thing that you need to contemplate before you understand a golf hole, and I think it's good greens that give you something rich to think about. So the first aspect of the relationship between the green and the rest of the hole is size and receptiveness. Generally, the longer the average approach shot, the bigger and more receptive the green. Large greens allow for more margin for air and kind of suit. The dispersion patterns of longer clubs, broad open fronts with contours that help the ball onto the green can also be used when you're dealing with a long approach shot, so a long par three, a long par four, Generally what you want to see is a larger and more receptive green. And so an example of the distinction between a green that can receive a short approach shot versus a long approach shot would be on the one hand, the seventh hole at Pebble Beach par three, famous par three about it, you know, one hundred or so yard shot, and the green is tiny. Now it has shrunk over time. It's probably smaller than it should be, but certainly it was designed to be partly because the shot that you're hitting into it is very short, and that that size suits the scale of the shot. At the other end of the spectrum, maybe you have a green like the third at Chicago Golf Club, which is a Birt's template, a long par three where players are supposed to be hitting long irons or even woods. And what you see here is a nice big run up into the green, a broad open front. The bunkers are along the sides of the hole, and what you have is a nice big fairway where you can land your ball and let it run up onto the green. And then the green itself is very large, broad receptive, accommodating, but still interesting because you have that little swale in front of it, and so you can kind of run your ball through that swale. And you know, of course it's not an easy shot still because the size of the green is suited to the size of the possible misses that you would have with those longer clubs. So green size is a key component of that relationship between the green and the rest of the hole. But I do think that sometimes this rule is worth violating because it can create really interesting and exciting situations if the green is out of scale with the length of shot being hit. So think about the road hole. What makes that hole exciting, Well, it's the fact that the green is too small for the length of second shot that you're heading into it. And probably part of the reason it's that size is that the hole started as a part five and people were expected to be hitting short third shots into it as opposed to long second shots. But now that we're more commonly hitting long second shots into the well, that's that's really quite a moment because the green is so fiercely guarded and it provides such a fine margin for error that you just have to pay attention when somebody is hitting hitting a shot into the seventeenth green at Saint Andrew's. So architects can play with the scale of the green in ways that can be interesting, right, And that's one of the kind of mysteries of golf architecture. That's that's where some of the art comes in. When does an architect violate the usual norms of golf course design? You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well it feels like certainly something you not to say that you can't, but you you shouldn't overdo, right. I think there's there's probably a level to having too many small greens for longer approach chats and ending up and too many bunkers or whatever else that that green.
Speaker 2: Is not receptive too.
Speaker 3: But I definitely think some you know, it's always good to get a visual or even strategic kind of change up. Like if I saw this screen at Chicago Golf Club, Like, yeah, there's a lot there's a lot of room for error because you're presumably hitting a longer club in I think there's a way to me, I feel like, I don't know when I look at that, there's way more It seems more fun. You could get way more creative than I you know, the seventh Old Puebble Beach where there's not you have one option, right, like you have to fly it all the way down there and whatever happens happens. Where you could run run something up here and run it through the middle and get it to the back tier there. I if you gave me the option, I feel like, I don't know, seeing the ball on the ground more, I would take that over the alternative.
Speaker 1: Which is why long approach shots can be so great, right, And it's what we're missing in pro golf right now, is that that spectacle of the ball on the ground. And you know, it's part of why us opens off and have a long par three makes the players really mad. But guess what, when you have long par threes, the ball is much more likely to be on the ground in entertaining ways. So yeah, I mean going back to the seventh green at Pebble Beach, if you had this green on a two hundred and fifty yard hole, I'm not saying that that would be a good or exciting hole at all, right, you know that would be you could critique that hole for having a green that's kind of out of scale, out of character with the nature of the approach shot. But the example of the road hole tells you that there's some wiggle room there, there's some room to play there. You can you don't have to just follow the rules when it comes to the size of the green in relation to the length of the approach shot. Okay, so size of green is one important factor in the relationship between the green and the rest of the hole. The other big factor that I want to touch on briefly, and only briefly because we've already discussed it so much in past episodes of Golf Architecture one on one has to do with the orientation of the green and the hazards around it. You can have an angled green that provides the friendliest landing zone to you know, the advantageous side of the fairway that kind of opens up to one side of the fairway that is maybe difficult to get to and you want to give the player a reward for forgetting to that side of the fairway. You can have uneven hazard arrangements, so a bunker in front of one side of the green, but not in front of the other side of the green. Bunker's just just on one side, just guarding one side, so that you can kind of play around and have an opening into the green. Now, those two factors can be certainly combined. Right, have an angled green, you can have uneven hazard arrangements on the same green. The same is true of the third factor here, and that is tiltep the most underrated component of a strategic golf hole. I think a tilted green that provides a backstop for the advantageous side of the fairway, and if you're kind of on the wrong side of the fairway, then the green runs away from you a little bit. And one of my favorite examples of the use of tilt in strategic golf architecture is the tenth hole at Augusta National. This green is so tilted from right to left, and then there's also a bunker just on the right side, So that's an example of an uneven hazard arrangement around the green. Clearly, the preferred side of the fairway is the left here, because you're hitting into the tilt of the green. If you're on the right side of the fairway, which is where the photo happens to be taken from that we're looking at right now, then you're really kind of playing across that slope in the difficult way. Your ball is going to land and kind of shoot forward, whereas if you get over to the left, then your ball is going to have more of a tendency to stop on the green. But it's tough to get to the left side of the fairway because you have to hook it around the trees, et cetera. This is how green design can enhance strategic golf architecture. So I would say if the green's orientation and hazards correspond in some kind of logical and interesting way to the design of the rest of the hole, that is a big part of saying this is a good green. You know, that is a key component, all right, So that does it for the greens relationship with the rest of the hole. We have a few more ideas to get to about what makes a good green, but first I want to talk about our friends at the Golf Course Superintendent's Association of America or GCSAA. This partnership makes a lot of sense for us at Friday Golf. Really, our company would not exist in its current form today without the help and kindness of superintendents. Many of these photos that I'm showing to PJ right now in this episode our photos that we took because we kind of snuck onto the golf course through the maintenance facility. Many mornings we have arrived early and emparked our cars in the maintenance facility and then gone out onto the golf course to explore it and take photos. GCSAA supports more than twenty one thousand members worldwide, not only golf course superintendents, but also equipment managers, students, and educators. Celebrating its one hundredth anniversary this year, GCSAA continues to ensure that its members are on the forefront of research, education, innovation, and advocacy through a range of programs and services. To learn more, go to GCSAA dot org. Check it out. Great organization and we're very proud to be working with them. Okay, Next up on the docket, PJ for what makes a great green? I think we have to consider the examination of a player's skill here, and this brings in the subject of severity and the subject of consequences for poorly played or inaccurate approaches. The right amount of severity and consequence can make greens very exciting and properly testing of a player's skill. Right. The test is of approach, play, short game shots and putting. Augusta National is the ultimate example. Those greens are so testing partly because of their severity. Shinnecock Hills also has some great ones, very severe greens not in the same way as Augustus, though, whereas Augusta Nationals greens have severe undulation and tilt, a couple of Shinnacock's have some tilt as well. A lot of the danger at Shinnecock Hills as greens is around the greens, Right, it's the consequences from misplayed approaches. So severity and consequence are are key parts of what makes a green testing. But you can also have too much of those things, right, Yeah, it can also become absurd or one dimensional. Do you do?
Speaker 2: You do?
Speaker 1: You do you have an idea of where that line is for you?
Speaker 3: I don't know if I if I do, just off the top of my head, but I definitely agree with the the theory of it being too one dimensional. Like if every hole is so rounded by bunkers, if every green is surrounded by bunkers and there's no you know, runoff area, or if it's just very thick rough around every hole and it's the same thing repetitive, I think it would be.
Speaker 2: I think it would be just more repetition than anything else.
Speaker 3: If you get up to every green and you're missing in the same spots and you're left with the same type of shot I feel like that could get very boring.
Speaker 1: We will talk about that later. I think that that fits into another category that I want to get into. That the nature of the recovery shots that you hit, and that is I think that's a super important aspect of a great green. It's the variety of recovery shots that result from it. But yeah, you know, as it relates to severity and consequence, I think that there's such a difference between seeing a tournament played at a place like Augusta National or Shinnecock Hills and seeing a tournament played at a place like Royal Birkdale, or probably the better example is Quail Hollow, where there isn't the same sense of severity and consequence When an approach shot is sailing into a green at Quail Hollow, generally you weren't on the edge of your seat wondering what's going to happen, whereas you are at augustin Nashvill, you are at Shinnacock and you're on the edge of your seat because you're like, you know, there could be many outcomes here. And also this player is in the midst of demonstrating great skill. If they pull off this shot, then they've really done something, you know, and if they don't, then something's going to happen to them. And that is I think, very satisfying to us. But there is a line. There is a line, and it doesn't have to do with fairness, I don't think. I think it just has to do with the fact that overly severe greens, overly punishing greens, do become one dimensional ultimately, and I think an example of that is that Shinnacock Hills, the seventh hole, the ra Dan hole at Chinnacock. Now, I just said Shinnecock's greens are fantastic. It's one of the greatest golf courses in the world. But I do think the seventh hole at Shinnacock maybe just goes a touch too far with the severity. There are very few pen positions, and so really it just there's one type of shot that you hit on this hole. The margins are so fine that, especially when the wind is up, I'm not sure it's really a test of a player's ability. I think it has more to do with just the luck of hitting one patch of grass. It's like one yard left of the other patch of grass. Now, the main problem here, I think is likely green speeds, which we'll talk about later. Okay, the green has become so fast that the tilt of it has become too much. There are only a couple of places that you can really put the pin and have the ball stay stay in place, and so I think that's that's more the source of the problem than the design of the green. But it's definitely still it's entertaining to play. It's a tense moment in the round. There is a joy factor of watching great players tackle this hole and either get rejected or be relieved when when they aren't rejected. But for me, it's just it's just a little bit too much. It's just over the line. I don't know what your reaction to it was. During during the US Open, PJ the seventh green at shnakok Ay, I.
Speaker 2: Mean it it did.
Speaker 3: It kind of felt like the same everybody just ended up in the same not the same spot, but it didn't feel like anybody was just hitting the green. I sat there for a while, I think on Friday, and it was just like every group that came through it was kind of the same thing. It was everybody would miss, maybe one guy would stick it, but it was not like.
Speaker 2: I do think there's an aspect to.
Speaker 3: Almost like fifteen at Berkdale last week, Like, I think there's something to be said for like a par feeling like a birdie and like a major championship round, like you're picking up a shot. Three at Shitnacock was like that during the weekend too, I think on Saturday, like everybody was bogeying three. I do think, like, I think there's a real benefit to that in that you can gain a shot on the field by just making par. But I do think when it's you know, you're getting into a spot where everybody is playing the same shot or getting rejected to the same area because of a green, Like, yeah, that could be a little boring and repetitive for sure.
Speaker 1: I have my issues with the framework of test that we often use when we talk talk about championship golf courses, But I don't think we should throw that entirely out because you know, certainly part of the role of a golf course is to examine a player's skill and to identify a worthy champion. And there is a point at which a test becomes too unachievable. If a test is is not passable at a reasonable rate. Then it no longer feels like a proper test. And that's the line that the seventh hole at Shinnacock is at least right at and maybe over now at the other end of the spectrum from seven at Shinnacock, you have bowl greens, punch bowl greens, greens that funnel to the middle, you know, while fun in moderation. While I think they definitely have a place on any golf course, they can wear thin quickly because they do flatten the difference between rate good and average shots, and they and they narrow the range of potential outcomes. It it becomes again one dimensionality becomes an issue. So this, this subject of the test of the player's skill is it's not something that I that I think about that often unless I'm like talking with Joseph lamani Our, a colleague who who covers professional golf, and you know, if I'm if I'm looking at the competitive scene, then I'll then I'll think about test more. But the more I I I contemplate this this category, the more I think, yeah, it is. It is an interesting It is an important aspect of of green design that the amount of severity, the amount of consequence dialing that in to the right level is pretty key, all right. Next factor that makes a good green, and we just sort of touched on it with seven at Shinnakok. The variety of pin positions. A good green I think offers a well differentiated range of pin positions pins and different sectors of the green. So right, left, back, front, pins of varying difficulty. Right, you have some on knobs, some on shelves, some in bowls, some near punishing hazards, right, some kind of on the edge near it, near a bunker where it's the opportunity for recovery is really difficult, you know, and then others that offer more margin for air. Yep. When you look at a green, when you're playing a green, you only see one pin position. But I think a good thing to do is to look at the rest of the green and consider where the pin can go. That's a practice that I think allows people to appreciate golf architecture at another level. Not just look at the pin that you're playing that day, but look around the green and see where the pin could be put. Because occasionally a change in pin position changes the character of the hole. And here I want to look at the ninth Green at Harbortown. Now, if I can describe this for audio listeners, it's a crazy looking green, but it basically looks like Mickey Mouse. You have two big ears and the green kind of forms a boomerang, a reverse boomerang. Right, Is that? Have I described that correctly?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think so. It's like a reverse the Mickey Mouse. The Mickey Mouse is.
Speaker 1: The Mickey Mouse. Yeah, just just imagine, just imagine a silhouette of Mickey Mouse. So you have these two big lobes on the right and the left, and if the pin is on the on the one on the right, well you kind of want to be on the left side of the hole. If the pin is on the lobe on the left, well you kind of want to be on the right side of the hole. And so here the pin position does determine a lot about the character of the whole. And I think something that can make you say that's a great green is if the pin positions are like that. The pin positions really do provide a different experience from day to day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 3: Again, I don't know that it's something that I've ever consciously thought about until right now, but yeah, especially if it's a course, you're playing a lot. Like you just said, the shot on this whole would completely change if it's you know, tuck to the right and there's that fall off there, like you know where you have to be, and it's asking a different question, which is I don't know. I think it's cool to have that optionality. I think it's probably cool when you're setting up the golf course to have an.
Speaker 2: Option to.
Speaker 3: Make people do something completely different. I think it's cool if you're playing it for the second or third time whatever, that you have a different shot than you had before.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I I you know, just.
Speaker 3: Me knowing nothing objectively speaking, Yeah, it seems like a lot of pimpositions is great because why wouldn't it be something.
Speaker 1: Different creates a course within a course, or multiple courses within the same course, and that you know, a lot of golf courses, especially in the in the early part of the twentieth century, were built with the assumption that people would be playing them over and over and over again. I think we've started to move away from that assumption in some modern golf architecture, especially at destination resorts, where the assumption is more that people might just be playing this course once, Yeah, But there is a level of complexity that I think comes from golf architects believing that people will play their courses many times. Because if they believe that, then they will probably design greens more like this one at Harbortown, the ninth Green, where different pin positions really do provide a different experience because they're thinking, you know, people aren't just going to see one pin position at this green, They're going to see multiple ones. At tournament courses. It's a good thing to do because on different days it's it's a different test, and you keep players on their toes. You don't allow them to settle into a groove, and that's something you really get from the ninth at Harbortown because it is the host of the RBC Heritage.
Speaker 3: You also need to make sure that that you don't only have pin positions on the right side, because that it would not benefit drawers of the golf ball and people might tweet about that. So you've got to be able to, you know, make sure you stay out of the crosshairs from any potential burner accounts on Twitter that would tweet about course set up and where the flags might be on a given tournament.
Speaker 1: Round the main thing, the main that's the I think. I feel like that's the main thing behind decisions and course set up, that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: This ever happened before, but if it were to happen, you know, you might.
Speaker 2: Want to avoid that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that would be crazy if that happened. All Right, it's worth taking a little break here, I think to talk about green speeds, yeah, because it relates very much to this notion of variety and pin positions. So greens like those that at Augusta National or Oakmont were designed for stimp meter readings in the single digits. Yeah, Oakmont has always had relatively fast greens. Augusta National has always had relatively fast greens, but relatively is doing a lot of work there because back in the you know, even just thirty years ago, even forty years ago, greens were just way way slower than they are now. The expectations, the standards around green speeds were so different just a few decades ago. Now, Augusta and Oakmont regularly push thirteen to fifteen on the stint meter, and this reduces the amount of pinnable area, meaning that pins are put in fewer and less interesting positions. When you start to get greens that fast, you can't put pins on slopes anymore. You have to find the flat areas of the green, and again that reduces the amount of pinnable area. It reduces the dynamism of the experience from day to day because you're taking away from the variety of pin positions. Now, that's a less complex test of skill, first of all, because puts are going to break less when you put pins in flatter areas. If you have pins on slopes, then you're more likely to have short puts that you have to aim outside the hole to make them. And so you know, green speeds flattened the test in that way. But the main problem is this is this this issue of variety of pin positions. The faster you're greens, the fewer the areas that you're going to be able to put your pins. And the really unfortunate consequence of high green speeds is that a lot of clubs end up feeling that they need to soften the slopes of their greens, They need to redesign their greens, take away the severity and character of their greens, make them flatter, because speeds have made the greens dysfunctional have made it so that they need to put the pins in the same places from day to day. And one thing that happens when you put pins in the same places from day to day is that the greens get really worn down in those particular areas that the wear and tear is not spread out as much. And so green speeds are one of the biggest problems for golf architecture right now. But it's something that people rarely talk about, and it's something that it just feels like there's no going back. It feels like these clubs are just gonna gonna keep pushing the envelope when it when it comes to green speeds.
Speaker 2: Who will be brave enough to go back to single digit green speeds?
Speaker 3: Who? Who?
Speaker 4: And when we call on you, yeah, yeah, I mean to an extent, Shinnakawk Hills what during this last US Open was remarkable because they were only in the ten to eleven range.
Speaker 1: It was like, wow, but that's still really fast, you know, And it's it is what you're pointing out there, PJ is the issue. Who is going to do that? Who's gonna stick their neck out and say I'm gonna have slower greens? Yeah, you know, there's there's almost kind of like a macho aspect to this, where where clubs can't be seen as the as the as the WUS that has the slower greens, But of course it would be. It would be so much better for for the playability of the golf course and and for the integrity of the design of the greens. So I've just gone on a bit of a rant there. I want to do a sense check with you. Does that make sense how green speeds would relate with design in that way?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I feel like you can't. I don't know, if you have a great amount of slope in these greens, or you have a pin on a spot where it's not reasonable to you basically have to make it, or else you're in ginormous amounts of trouble on a high speed green, then like, yeah, of course that's not I don't want to call it unplayable, but it's certainly not enjoyable. Like I mean, do I care from a professional golf standpoint if the pros playing are enjoying the golf course, No, I don't.
Speaker 2: But from a.
Speaker 3: Recreational play standpoint, like, yeah, I think you got to just you know, give a dog a bone almost here, and give people like a fighting chance.
Speaker 2: If you want to do this at a a professional tournament, please, by all means turn it up. I'll root for I'll root for carnage and.
Speaker 3: People complaining no matter what, because it's it's better for everybody that way. But I think who will have the courage to go back to intricacies on the greens and single digit green speeds. I'm happy to throw that gautlet out on your behalf right here.
Speaker 1: Anybody who's not hosting a major tournament, yeah, I think doesn't have an excuse. I think you can love that. You can do it. You know, you get You're free, You're free of the shackles of big time professional golf. Your greens can be slower, you can retain some character in those greens. You can put the pins in interesting places. You just need to grow the grass a little bit higher. It doesn't doesn't always need to be doesn't always need to be slick. All right, Let's go on to the next factor that I think makes for a great green, and that is the variety of recovery shots, something that you referred to earlier underrated aspect of green design when you miss a green, what happens and is it engaging? Is it varied? You know, this really highlights the design of what's around the putting surface, right, which is just as important as what's on the putting surface. When you think about recovery shots and what happens when you miss the green, then you start to think about something that people often don't think about, and that is the design of the surrounds. You can have a combination of short grass, rough native grass, bunkers, and other hazards, and that combination can generate a great deal of variety in the short game shots around the green. So can contouring right interesting contours around the green. Unexpected contours, unpredictable contours can also increase the the energy and dynamism of the short game shots that you hit around the green. It's it's a way for architects to define better and worse misses around the greens. Maybe some places it's really hard to recover. From other places you're faced with with more of a simple, straightforward chip back onto the putting surface. So there are a lot of possibilities that you can pursue around greens to create a variety of recovery shots. Now this is something. It's something I always look at when I walk onto a green that I haven't seen before, I look around at the surrounds and I consider, well, what if I miss there, What would that be like to get back onto the putting surface? What if I missed over there? Would it be different? Would be interesting? Right? That's it's a it's a key set of questions that that you could ask about greens to appreciate their design more. And you know, the frustrating thing can be sometimes that you look around and you're like, well, no matter where I miss around this green, it's kind of the same shot. Maybe it's surrounded by bunkers and it's just a bunker shot. Maybe in the worst case, is simply surrounded by rough without much interesting contouring, and you're like, well, that sort of flattens the variety and the entertainment factor of missing the green here. On the other hand, when greens have a good amount of short grass around them, I think that's when you're really cooking with gas, right. Short grass can bring in that unpredictability and that variety of short game shots that I'm really looking for when I consider this aspect of green design, and one of my favorite examples is the eighth Green at Augusta National remarkable green, a very strange green in many ways, just surrounded very long and narrow and surrounded by these huge mountains, and it's all short grass. And if you miss far to the left, you're gonna be in the pine straw and trees. But for the most part, when you miss this green, you're gonna be in amongst over on the other side, of on top of wherever, around these big short grass mounts. And there are so many different shots that you could potentially face if you miss this green, and so many different ways that you could approach those shots. This is what I think contour and short grass around the greens can bring that just rough and just bunkers never could so Eighth Green at Augusta, Nashal I have a great example of that.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it brings creativity for sure, and I think it adds a level of skill.
Speaker 2: Like if you're just.
Speaker 3: In the rough on every hole and you're getting swallowed by long grass, that becomes a kind of a Rulette's spin on.
Speaker 2: Do you have a lie? Do you have a lie?
Speaker 3: Like that kind of takes a I think a lot of the fun out of it. You could just be totally hosed, So you could be sitting up and you could have have an accurate chip shot, and that certainly gets repetitive after every hole. I think eight and Augusta, n Ashville is a great example.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I I know a guy who hit a shot over the screen, wrote it up one of the other mounds and came back down the other side and then made a putt to lead the Masters on Sunday like that.
Speaker 1: That Who was this hero and it was this remarkable, remarkable and very appealing man.
Speaker 3: Yeah it could be Cameron Young, who's to say, But I think that's like a perfect example of a level of creativity. Like when he set up for the shot, the broadcast wasn't sure if he was intending to do it, like it confused.
Speaker 1: Yeah, They're like, oh, that's shot, so where's he going.
Speaker 2: Nobody knew what was happening.
Speaker 3: Everybody just thought he sculled the chip and then it came right back down off the mound, and obviously it was intense. And I think that is just a level of creativity. Even if you don't have like the skill necessarily to pull it off, it makes you think more than you know, I gotta get up and down of a bunker, or oh do I have a lie in the rough?
Speaker 1: Like it?
Speaker 3: Just again, it all comes back to for me, like I like as somebody who doesn't hit the ball very high or anything like, having the ball on the ground is cool to me because I think I don't know, more things can happen. It adds a lot more variability in good ways and bad.
Speaker 1: Makes it more fun and honestly easier for regular players like you and me, but introduces a different level of challenge for guys like Cameron Young. Now I'm not saying that short grass around the greens is going to produce higher scores. What's going to produce higher scores is if you grow up the rough right around the greens and make it a super thick and yeah, if your goal is to have a plus eight winning score, then that's what you're gonna do. But as we saw in the past at Shinnacok Hills when they had rough right up around the greens, it yes made those chips difficult when you're chipping back onto a fast and fern putting surface from a buried lie in the thick rough, but it also stopped the ball from going to interesting places. Yeah, you'd miss over the back of the eleventh green at Shinnacock and your ball would stop on that slope. It wouldn't run away from the hole on that slope. And so that's the trade off. That's what we have to keep in mind when we say rough around the greens or rough anywhere is the key is that it it grabs that ball and the next shot may be very difficult. It may be easier to hit a chip off of short grass than it is to hit a chip out of deep, deep rough. But the t eat off is clear. You get you get more interesting shots, You get more varied shots after missing a green when you have a good amount of short grass, or at least if you have some combination of rough and short grass and bunkers and and other other hazards around the green. So variety is the key.
Speaker 3: It can't be the same thing every time like that that and and if it is the same thing every time, I would prefer it be short grass just because of the variability aspect of of what you what players can do from from there, more than anything else.
Speaker 1: I'm with you on that next factor that makes a great green originality we'll talk just a little bit about originality, creativity, inventiveness of design. Kind of a tricky thing to talk about because it's really it's really a you know it when you see it thing, right, And it also depends on your experience, right if you if you're somebody who hasn't seen a lot of different greens at a lot of different courses, you may not have an immediate sense of what's original and what's not, because it's presumably all pretty new to you. But to me, the greens that make you stop and say, I haven't quite seen anything like that before are the most engaging ones, or at least the ones that make you feel like you're dealing with some kind of fresh execution of a standard concept. And that can be the case in template greens on C. B. MacDonald and SETH Rayner courses. I wouldn't call those greens original because by definition they're not original. But when you play the Burt's at Chicago Golf Club, which we just looked at, or you play the particular rendition of the Dan at National Golf Links, then you really do feel like something fresh is happening there because of the location of the green, because of the particular execution of the details, and so there is this sense of freshness and originality to any great green. Now, the easiest and probably best route to originality is taking inspiration from the specificities of the natural train. Nature is an endless source of originality, and if you just follow its cues, then then you're going to have results that feel new, you know, because there's no other patch of ground like that in the world. And if you just rely on that, then then you are generally in pretty good shape. Great example of this is the is the fourth green at Royal Saint George's. I have it labeled on the screen right now, is the fifth green, And that's killing me. But only only the YouTube audience is going to see that, So I'm sorry that was a typo. This is the fourth green at Royal Saint George's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is crazy, and look at that.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to even really try to describe it, but it's basically just this big green that's draped over a natural shelf. It's tilting strongly from left to right, and it's just sitting there right, It's just sitting there on the ground and it's a great piece of ground and that's all the green is doing. Now, I could go into how it corresponds to the strategy as a whole, and it does its job brilliantly in that way. But when you look at this green, you think, I haven't seen anything like that before. And the reason you haven't seen anything like that before is that this piece of land is its own unique thing, and the green just uses it. It is just set on it, and it's quite beautiful, and it is the fourth green and not the fifth green. Now, manufactured originality is definitely possible, but it takes a lot of skill because a lot of people try to manufacture originality and fall short. Because we're humans, We're limited. We don't have the same creative capabilities of nature, right, and we have to admit that in humility to we have to admit our limitations sometimes.
Speaker 2: But yes, can't go Jurassic Park golf course. Unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Yeah you can, but you need to have extraordinary skill. And you can really tell when when somebody has that talent of being able to manufacture originality. Now, no architect I think can do it on every green, on every golf course that he or she builds. You know, you have to sometimes be more natural in your approach. But I think that the course Old Barnwell, a recent design by Brian Schneider and Blake Conant, has some very manufactured greens, like the eighth green, which we're looking at right now, that do feel original and don't seem particularly contrived or or you know, overly based on other sources, or or just like they you know, they don't belong there, that they're executed really well. But some of them are very artificial. The key, however, is a variety. And you know, sometimes the most daring thing that you can do, the most original thing you can do, is just set the green on the land. And another example of that would be at the same golf course, the eighteenth hole at Old Barnwell. What are you seeing here, PJ.
Speaker 3: It's it's just sitting in the middle of a patch of grass, right, It's just yeah, there's nothing there, It's just a flag.
Speaker 2: And then the putting surface.
Speaker 1: It is completely unified with the land around it. There's there's basically nothing that you can see that was constructed here. Now. I do know that, you know, if you things a few contours, a few details are pushed here and there, but the putting surface the eighteenth hole at Old Barnwell just really sits on the land. Now, what you can't really see in this photo is that it is very significantly tilted right because it sits on terrain that naturally tilts it. There is there is a strong pole toward the left side of the green as you're as you're playing into it. But uh, this is the the kind of variety that that you need in approaches across a golf course. You had the eighth green, which is heavily manufactured but does feel original, does feel like a fresh idea, and then you have the eighteenth green, which is literally just sitting on the ground. Okay, so originality key component. Often that originality is going to come from nature, but sometimes if you have real proficiency, then as an architect you can create some originality. The next factor that I want to talk about PJ and I. I want to follow up originality with this for a reason, and that is elegance. Sometimes architects do try too hard to be original and the result of that is a chaotic mess of contours and just craziness. Right, Wildness is not the same thing as originality, And it seems to me that occasionally architects are really trying to manufacture that sense of freshness, but they forget that elegance is also an important component. You know. Probably my favorite greens are the ones that achieve everything we've talked about to this point while being relatively simple, or at least not seeming to have any unnecessary elements. Right, Elegance in design is achieving what you need to achieve with exactly the right number of moves and no more. If the architect makes too many moves, then the green design can become muddled and incoherent, and you're looking at the contours and you're you're saying, Okay, well, why is that there? What does that correspond to in the rest of the hole? What's the purpose of that? Is that really creating extra interest in the short game, recovery shots or a pin position that is that is genuinely interesting or or is that just not needed? So I love greens that do a lot while seeming to do relatively little. Good example of that is the fifteenth green at the North Course at Los Angeles Country Club. This is a short par three. In this image PJ, we're looking at the green from the back. It is a crescent shaped green, very narrow in some parts of it. The back section of it is wider than the front section of it, and between those two sections back in front, there's a big bump, yep, just like a buried elephant right there in the middle of the green. And that's it right Otherwise there's some bunkers around it. But this green is really just about that shape that I described, the crescent shape and that bump in the middle, and think about all the variety that you can get from that. You can put the pin in the front this very very narrow, tiny sliver of putting surface. It is the shortest shot, but it's very exacting because you really have to you have to hit a narrow area. Then you have the back section where yeah, more margin for error back there, but it's a longer shot and it's somewhat concealed from the tee. And then you have that bump in the middle. Just imagine what you can do with that bump. You can put the pin right behind it if you want to, you can put it right in front of it. That bump is It can can create so much much fun stuff in this hole. But again elegance, It achieves a lot with relatively few moves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's really not a lot going on here, but it is. You could do a whole bunch of that.
Speaker 1: It's very cool, Yeah, and that's that's that is I think the factor that gets lost in modern design. Sometimes. I appreciate that a lot of architects are going for originality. They're going there. They want to make something fresh and new, and that's a good impulse, but that has to be tempered by elegance, because I think that you know, any any kind of art that that I love, has this aspect of elegance about it. I don't know about upj, but you know, I like literature where the author doesn't seem to be doing much and yet a lot is achieved, or movies where you know it it doesn't seem overly intricate, but but actually there's there's a lot there when when you look at it. This is It's a common theme for me in the stuff that I really respond to. I know not everybody feels the same way. There are those who embrace maximalism and like that exuberance of a piece of art where there's a lot going on, But personally I take the most joy in things that are are simple yet subtly complex. How do you feel.
Speaker 3: I can tell by this conversation you're really fired up about the Avengers doomsday trailer from this week. Oh God, you're really You're ready to go December eighteenth. You're gonna be there at midnight. You're ready.
Speaker 1: I just watched this trailer yesterday. I was like, oh God, that looks bad.
Speaker 2: What would you say? The Avengers, Douesday of Greens are.
Speaker 1: Maybe that? God, it's said that Ryder cup Course, Marcos Simone, this is a lot going on. Just threw everything at it. But there's not, you know, not much of a point aside from making money.
Speaker 2: I like that. That's good. I like that.
Speaker 1: Oh man, it doesn't look like a doesn't look like a good movie. There have been some Marvel movies. I like, what what happened.
Speaker 2: Here looks like it's gonna be real bad, very very concerning.
Speaker 1: But I mean it just doesn't look you look at the trailer. There's some shots where it's like, oh, they're just standing in like a back lot in Burbank, and it's just they're surrounded by c g I and it feels that way.
Speaker 3: So here we'll tie this back to golf courses down. What are your thoughts on the Odyssey and all of the practical effects. There's a lot going on, but it's it's a real piece of art. How would you relate that to to to a green and door golf course?
Speaker 1: Well, this is a really interesting question, PJ. Have you seen The Odyssey yet?
Speaker 2: I haven't. It's it's my this weekend. I'm still hoping that I could get.
Speaker 1: I'm max screen. Yeah, the seventy millimeter screens are in limited supply. There's one kind of near me that I'm actually thinking about going and seeing it again, but that might be too much. Well, yeah, I think there is an interesting link here. It might not be immediately what we're talking about with elegance, though I think there is an elegance to Christopher Nolan's movies. The dialogue is relatively minimal, but there's a lot in it. Though I wouldn't say that that the verbal aspect of Christopher Nolan's movies is like the best thing about them. The writing is not often the thing that you go to see Christopher Nolan movie for, but just this sensation of sitting in a theater and watching something that you know actually happened, not happened historically obviously, contrary to a lot of the online discourse, this is a fantastical narrative which we can do whatever we want with. But you know that he filmed so much of what we're seeing on the screen. Yes, there are some special effects, but we know that Nolan. We trust Christopher Nolan to keep that to a minimum. And so when they're on a ship in the storm tossed see, we know that what we're seeing on screen was actually experienced by these actors and the people who made the movie. We know when they're huddled inside that Trojan horse in close quarters, peeing and pooping on each.
Speaker 2: Other, they shoved an Imax camera in there.
Speaker 1: So they put an Imax camera in there, and they actually put the actors in there in the cold water and experienced that. And there is a visceral excitement to actually seeing something real. And by the way, that is what is sort of alienating about some of the recent Marvel movies, where you watch it and you just know that none of this has any weight of reality to it. And yes, to me, that does relate to golf course designed to green design in the sense that you look at a green like the fourth Green at Royal Saint George's and you just know there's there's reality to that green, that there's there. You are experiencing something topographically real, and that excitement is hard to replace with with anything manufactured. Architects of great skill can can get close, but but there's nothing quite like it.
Speaker 3: I think we might need to do a golf architecture one oh one where you just compare famous golf courses to movies for me, because I think that would be really beneficial probably for my life, Like I need to know who the tom Cruise of golf architecture is. That's trying to get everybody to come back out to the out to the movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but kind of does the same thing over and over again. Even if that thing is like there's.
Speaker 2: A banger though that thing, that thing goes.
Speaker 1: Well relating it, relating what we were just talking about there. That the sense of reality and the sense of actually doing things and capturing them on camera. I think that's a big reason why Top Gun Maverick was such a big hit. It's like, oh my god, these people are in planes. They're actually in there in these planes getting hit by the g forces. Yeah, they're not like shooting at each other. Actually we know that, but you can feel that there is a real thing happening to the actor in the plane, and that is so exciting, and I, yeah, I feel the same, so much the same about golf courses.
Speaker 2: I think there's a lot of meat on this bone.
Speaker 3: I think we might have to come back to this because now I'm extra excited about it.
Speaker 1: You know what we should do sometime soon. PJ is like a golf architecture one on one mail bag where we can kind of get into get into fun topics like this, get some questions from readers. You can come up with questions. I think a mail bag would be would be a good idea. At some point there we go book it final point that I'd love to make about what makes a good green And I do want to apologize in retrospect right now this has been a very biased episode where I've just been talking about things that I like. And you know, the point of a one oh one class is too is to bring the students, have the students think their own thoughts and and create their own knowledge, and not to not to press your opinions on that too much as the professor.
Speaker 2: Don't worry about me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess I have strong opinions about this kind of stuff, but I'm I'm always willing to hear pushback. The final component would have to be the attractiveness of the shaping and the finished work of a green. So how are the artificial elements of the green shaped to correspond to and blend in with the environment around the green. So the shaping that connects the artificial features of a green to the surrounding landscape is called a tie in. Tie In is a key key term here, and it's it is what it sounds like, tying in your manufactured features if the environment, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I heard a lot about this last week, came up, came up quite a bit, the.
Speaker 1: Tie ins at Royal Birkdale. And I will say, you know, I and maybe some other architecture nerds can can maybe get too offended about about substandard tie ins at places like Royal Birkdale. And I do think that, you know, some of the tie in work, the the the kind of interface between the new greens and the natural dune environment at Royal Birkdale. I will stand by that they're not good, but they're also not terrible, you know, They're not They're not the worst I've ever seen, and so I don't want to get too overboard about that. I still think Royal Birkdale is a wonderful championship venue, but that is something that really that especially when you're talking about we began this episode talking about some of the differences in perspective between the general golfer and the died in the wool architecture. When it comes to tie ins, that is a subject that architecture nerds can take very very seriously, and potentially too seriously. But there's an important point here, and it's that the tie ins make the green feel like it belongs there. There's a lot of different ways to do great golf architecture, and it doesn't necessarily all have to be naturalistic. And I want to show you a final photo here of the tenth hole at Cape Arundle, which is a course in Maine designed by Walter Travis. When you look at this green, the tenth green, there's kind of a big false front and then it goes to that it rolls into a middle section and then there's a raised shelf in the back and it's all kind of pushed up from the surrounding landscape. When you look at this. You aren't necessarily thinking, Wow, that's all really nicely connected with the natural environment, though I think the actual tie ins between the high parts of the green and what's around it are at least smooth and nicely, nicely shaped and everything. But you don't look at that green and think, oh, that was just sitting there in the landscape. It's clearly a manufactured thing. But I think it looks really beautiful, right, that it looks compelling, and not because it's natural, but just because it itself is an interesting thing to look at, and some skill has been exercised in shaping this thing and turning it into almost like a piece of art. I guess the point is that I don't necessarily think a green's shaping has to be natural in order to be successful, all right, So just to quickly summarize the factors that can make a great green. One location, two drainage, three, the relationship with the rest of the whole four, the test of the player's skill. Five, a variety of pin positions. Six, a variety of recovery shots seven, originality, eight elegance nine the attractiveness of the shaping and finish work. We've covered a lot of ground there, PJ. Any takeaways, anythings that will stick with you as as interesting about this particular lesson.
Speaker 2: As somebody who doesn't hit a lot of greens in my day to day life.
Speaker 3: I think I'm most when I walk up to a green, I'm most focused on all right, like where where did I miss?
Speaker 2: Where should I have missed? What is the miss?
Speaker 3: And it does get I think I'm I might and I'm probably harping too much on it. But from like a recreational standpoint, like where the variety of of of recovery shots I think is pretty important. Like I think you have to give people a you have to give people a chance to even play, but be it shouldn't be the same thing every single time.
Speaker 1: You have to make something happen for them. Yeah, yeah, absolutely, you have to give them, give them some kind of reason to engage with the next shot, for sure. And that can sometimes be overlooked because you know, maybe an architect who is a former professional golfer might assume that people aren't really missing greens that much, but we do, of course, you know, to us, PJ, what's around the green is extremely important.
Speaker 3: So that's what I think maybe more and I unders says that's probably objectively wrong in this instance. But I do think from a professional golf standpoint, I think the point about are some greens too small or penalizing in ways that could deeply affect a tournament, and the reward is disproportionate for hitting a certain green or finding a certain spot because there's only one pin position on a certain green. I think that is, you know, it's something that that I don't know if I was like totally thinking about on a from a bird's eye view in the middle of a tournament, but I think I have a better understanding of that now for for next time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And I think the key for me is that it's not you know, pros would definitely frame this as a fairness issue, but for me, the more important thing is whether the green is still multi dimensional. Because if a green is overly severe or overly penalizing or too small for the shop that's being hit into it, it's not that that's that that's wrong or against the law. It's more that it just isn't as interesting as it possibly could be, and and that that is a balance that an architect has to strike when designing a green. For sure, all Right, well, thank you very much, PJ. This was fun as always. Hope you got a lot out of this episode. And yeah, I like the idea of doing a mail bag next time, just trying to just fielding a bunch of random questions. It feels like this one on one series has gotten to the point where we can kind of pause on the topics that we're pursuing and and and see say where people are in this process. But I know a lot of listeners are enjoying these episodes a great deal and I appreciate that. I think a lot of people are are are living it right along with you, PJ.
Speaker 2: Awesome, this was a blast.
Speaker 3: I'm glad we got into movie minute there, but we tried to tie it back so maybe we could do more of that in the mailback.
Speaker 2: But thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: This was a blast. Thanks PJ. This episode of Designing Golf was produced by Will Balsam. Thank you. Will keep in mind that Frida Egg Golf Volume two, our coffee table book, is available for pre order right now go to pro shop dot Thefrida Egg dot com. We're proud of what we have produced there. These these course profiles that we write, the photos associated with them, the illustrations that Cameron Hurdis and Matt Rushis do are are are pretty excellent and so check this out. And you know, if you want a good deal on your coffee table book, then join us in Fridagg Golf Club. Go to the Fridagg dot com slash membership to see what Friday Golf Club is all about. But lots of fun to be had there as well. Thank you for listening and we'll be back again soon with another episode.