Speaker 1: Discipline over desire determines your destination, but perfection is not possible.
Speaker 2: Look at you. With all of these, I always keep favorite at my big age. I've realized that do people tend to mask procrastination as the pursuit of perfection?
Speaker 3: Hmm?
Speaker 2: I wonder.
Speaker 1: It all started with real talk, unfiltered, honest and straight from the heart. Since then, we've gone on to become Webby award winning podcasters in New York Times bestselling authors.
Speaker 2: That Ask was more than a podcast for us. It was about our growth, a place where we could be vulnerable.
Speaker 1: Be wraw urse, but most appointingly be us.
Speaker 2: But as we know, life keeps evolving and so do we, and through it all, one thing has never This is after because we got a lot to talk about.
Speaker 1: So storytime, I'm going to take you back to summer two thousand and three, some of two thousand. Yeah, this is over twenty years ago. This is when Kadeen and I had already been together for a year. But this is also my first off season as a college athlete, and I remember going into this offseason telling everybody I'm approved to them that I belong here. As a freshman, I didn't start I only played in two games. Both games I played and I scored touchdowns. I felt like I was a best receiver on the team, and because of that, I felt like I had to show everybody who I was. You know, I was the only receiver at the time that was a walk on and had to earn a scholarship other than me and Brian Woman.
Speaker 4: At the time.
Speaker 1: So I was just kind of tired of people like putting me with the walk on group. So I was like, I am going to be perfect in anything came to depth of routes, when it came to catching the ball, knowing all the plays, I wanted to be perfect. And you know what happened with my pursuit of perfection. I failed. My sophomore season at HAFTA was the worst year I ever played in football. And I'm explaining to you why since I was trying to do everything with the standard of perfection. If I was slightly off, I didn't accept it, which means I spent many days in a row never reaching a standard that I saw value in it myself, and I started to get depressed. And as I started to get depressed, it started to be like can I do this because I couldn't do it perfectly. I started to tell myself, Oh can I do this? Then I told myself, when I'm a sophomore, it's a sophomore slump.
Speaker 4: I'm supposed to go through this.
Speaker 1: So in chasing perfection and then not getting it, I then told myself I wasn't supposed to be here at this moment and accepted the failures and it was the worst thing that could ever happen to me. My sophomore year.
Speaker 2: I remember that time all right karaoke. So I figured perfection and people trying to do things their way to pursue their pursuit of perfection. It only made sense to sing I just like this song on My Way by us y'all. I had nothing to do or nothing, and I was like, oh, you're still on tour is see. I wish you would go back and do his residency because I was like the best one. I preferred the residency over the tour.
Speaker 1: I feel like the residency was more intimate. Yeah, but we're not going to keep over. You're supposed to sing my way.
Speaker 2: Will know you know I'm still getting better. You want to help me out, please, I got you.
Speaker 4: But whatever you need, I got way.
Speaker 2: My way. I'm in contrust that met me to get this funny.
Speaker 5: Why she's so fast.
Speaker 2: We never know the words, y'all, but y'all get the point, okay about.
Speaker 1: Doing things my way?
Speaker 6: Perfectionists, You are a perfectionists. Certainly am shout out to Josh for bringing up this topic, because my wife is a perfectionist and a lot of times she'll tell you that leads to her procrastinating and.
Speaker 2: Not getting done. Me and Josh kind of cut from the same cloth we've had.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, we are. I'm glad Matt staring right at you over there. You know who else is.
Speaker 1: Like that too? Trouble Trible is definitely the type that's like, if this ain't perfect, I'm not putting it out and it will never go out. We want to pay some bills, and we're gonna come back and attack these three. We're gonna we're gonna attack these We're going.
Speaker 2: To call to the front of the congregation.
Speaker 4: You're gonna attack all of us. Yes, this nigga doesn't live in a bubble just like us. Cat Oh we got I can't wait for this.
Speaker 2: Matt is hiding something that we don't know. That's the mystery. Of Matt. That's why Matt will invite us over. That's why Matt, guys. I'm just throwing it out there that Matt hasn't invited us over to his house. And he's lived here for two years, that is always here. But Matt says he doesn't invite people to his house. So we're just gonna pull up one of these days with all the kids and we're going to break in. And that's just what it is.
Speaker 4: We won't be just start cleaning the house.
Speaker 3: People on the way over.
Speaker 4: Look at that I want to start.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna change the door code. I'm not gonna let him in unless he lets me over one day, Matthew, So we're gonna come to the front of the congregation.
Speaker 4: But if she said you can't come in.
Speaker 2: Well, sometimes I'm looking for a place to send it out. And where am I gonna send him?
Speaker 1: I say, you see, this is why I take the cookies when I get the biggest.
Speaker 2: I mean, hey, it's a fair trade away. It's a fair trade off.
Speaker 1: I think if they would have saw you by that address, they would understand why you be trying to get rid of me?
Speaker 2: All right, I understand. I'll stand up for you again later and then.
Speaker 1: Stand up for you again. Trust me. You know what, Yeah, you know what I'm saying that I would stop playing with.
Speaker 2: Twenty three years.
Speaker 4: Can we just go pay these bills?
Speaker 2: I would know better. Let's pay some bills, y'all. We'll come back. Stick around for the snailigans. All right, We're back, all right, Time for op or no op, take it away, triple all right.
Speaker 5: This month is Father's Day.
Speaker 4: Shout out to all the father's baby to the two fathers.
Speaker 3: On the cast.
Speaker 2: Amazing thing. Never want to do this life without, y'all.
Speaker 7: Yeah, big up to the guys who don't want to be fathers because they've got some male birth control coming out, but they do.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's an injection.
Speaker 7: It's some type of like jail that they inject into the like semen ducks, sperm ducks, so that sperm doesn't mix with the semen when it comes out here.
Speaker 1: They injected directly into the sack.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a I think it's an implant.
Speaker 2: Oh, kind of like when women have like the the implant that goes under the skin. Yeah, so this just goes into the scrollum into that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but I think it's just a jail and its it says it's a water soluble hydrogel gel that's inserted into the sperm ducks so the sperm doesn't mix with the semen and they it said it it lasts for two years.
Speaker 4: Oh, Josh said, he got out. This goes against all that we stand for. I just want to say that first, men or people men, Okay, Right, So my opinion in general is women have been injecting stuff into them. Sorry, women have been injecting things into them like forever or placing things inside of them for the sake of not having children. And I understand wanting to do this, but this is this goes against everything that we stand for as men. Right, does it come out?
Speaker 2: In what sense?
Speaker 4: Does it come out? You putting something in a block something? Is it coming out?
Speaker 1: Says it's a jelu, So probably in after two years it probably doesn't.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, that's coming out. I know that's coming out. But is anything coming out?
Speaker 7: It is?
Speaker 2: It doesn't come out with sperms. It blocks the sperm, but you can still ejaculate.
Speaker 4: And pulling out.
Speaker 1: No, you don't have to understand what I understand. It's like getting to pisectomy. Remember when I was concerned that it wouldn't be the same consistency. Oh, everything is still the same.
Speaker 2: I can, yes, let you know that it is.
Speaker 1: Everything is still the I didn't ask.
Speaker 4: I'm you didn't know.
Speaker 1: You didn't ask, but you technically did just ask. You just said does it come out, which means does it come out with the same.
Speaker 2: So it's not blocking an ejaculation, it's just brought the sperm. That's what you meant by goes again because I'm like, where is he going with? It goes against everything that we stand for as a man, because it gotta come out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're doing men such a disservice by not giving them birth control because as women, because we have to do all this stuff, we have such an intimate relationship with our anatomy.
Speaker 5: You niggas don't even know what seemen is.
Speaker 2: I do it.
Speaker 4: No, I do not.
Speaker 1: I know what semen y'all.
Speaker 5: Y'all don't know how it works. Y'all keep asking these questions like.
Speaker 4: No, Josh asked answered the question. You just presented this to me. My god, this is the problem. What am I know what to do? Am I supposed to not ask questions?
Speaker 1: You know what I'm glad Josh that you brought this up, and I'm glad the Tripple brought this up because we were talking about the female anatomy before this, and we were saying that there's so many different things that women go through that men don't know, and men, I mean women expect us to know. We talked about the four different phases of the menstal cycle and how you put this pretty much four different people that live. That is an actual fact, right, Men didn't know that, but women will constantly be.
Speaker 5: Like, y'all didn't know that, Well, we didn't know for a long time. A lot of us.
Speaker 2: I'm just learning about the luteal phase and all these different phases and what emotions are corresponding with each week. And then we feel like we're crazy half the time because y'all tell us that we're crazy too. It's like, I know I'm crazy, and then you co signed that I'm crazy, But am I crazy? Or am I just going through whatever my body is going through in the moment, And it's yeah, no, no, no, no, but but no, no change his dress.
Speaker 1: I'll change it with you. But no, you are right though, though, you're right because you are going through changes and we need to know. But I do kind of want to get back to why you say it goes against everything? Is it because you ejaculating is like the manliest thing?
Speaker 4: That's yeah, I mean that's part of it.
Speaker 2: Like he thought it was blocking ejaculation completely, and.
Speaker 1: You're saying it doesn't block, it just comes out just what you think it's. Do you still have the same.
Speaker 4: App No, I don't. I do. I do have the same app Now I'm not doing You're not with it? Now, I'm not with it? Okay? Are you with EXECTI meies you're not with exectories. I don't mind that, okay, okay, But this is a foreign object, right. Exectly is a procedure that's stopping something.
Speaker 2: This is a foreign object, which is the problem a lot of women have with putting foreign in their bodies forever.
Speaker 4: And I see here it says non hormonal. Yeah, it's not a non hormonal situation. So it's a foreign object that's going into my body and we don't know what the what the adverse respects of this is, Well, they.
Speaker 5: Said they've been testing it and there have been no adverse effects recorded.
Speaker 2: No diarrhea, no leaky gut, no yellow eyes.
Speaker 4: When they put the joint on TV, it's going to be like a whole bunch of stuff. Here go fall out, your toe, nails go fall off.
Speaker 7: And this is a this is a reversible alternative to the vissectomy because this will only last for two years.
Speaker 5: You get the implant taken out.
Speaker 4: But isn't the reversible checking bar?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so here's that it can be reversible.
Speaker 2: So here's my opponente because I can't speak to the male anatomy, the nail male body. However, speaking about procreating and having children, I think that men should be given the option to say, you know what, I'm in a space where I want to enjoy myself and I don't want to have to worry about becoming a father before my time. I don't want to have to make that decision. So if he can take control over that, then it's like why not. I'm all for that.
Speaker 4: I don't have an op.
Speaker 1: I had a vasectomy, So I'm all for men holding the power and taking control over their own bodies if there's something they want to do, especially if they have a wife or a significant other. I gree with Josh that putting something in your body is different than the vasectomy. But I will also say this, now we've asked women to take hormones, put in rings, put in coils.
Speaker 2: Copper, and all sorts of gear.
Speaker 4: And for me, I'm not asking my wife to do that.
Speaker 1: Oh and I'm not even talking about wives. I'm talking about Say you a single dude out there right, my first thing would be like to my sons, you need to be putting on a fucking condom regards so you don't need that anyway, but just in case you the kind of breaks or something and you don't want to have no kids. If you know for a fact you don't have no kids, if this is healthy, and why not, Like, to be.
Speaker 2: Honest, why not prevent pregnancy. It's not preventing that.
Speaker 1: And everybody don't need to have kids. Everybody shouldn't. And that's not a man thing. That's a man every person and most some people you see here never wanted to have the kids they have.
Speaker 5: It happened.
Speaker 1: And if there's a way to prevent that, I'm for that.
Speaker 2: Like just who around the South trips did you have any feedback on it?
Speaker 7: I think men should definitely have birth control that they are responsible for.
Speaker 5: I feel like the owner shouldn't be on women. The medical field.
Speaker 7: They haven't done a lot of research on women's anatomy. They've done more on men, so they should put it on men to be responsible. And I think too, men have the option of walking away when a woman gets pregnant, when whereas a woman doesn't. The baby's in her body, so if you don't want it, you should be responsible for not having it.
Speaker 1: I do have a question too, though, to ask Allen's women. I hear women say this all the time.
Speaker 2: Men.
Speaker 1: If a man lays down with a woman and gets her pregnant, but he has a chance to walk away, that's unfair, right, But I do kind of feel like, well, a woman also didn't have to lay down, So why is it only put on a man like he got her pregnant. She laid down and got herself pregnant too, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's the case by case in thearor Yeah, I agree that both people have to be responsible. I think because women ultimately have the choice to have the baby or not. Because you have choices, right when you get pregnant and say you don't want the baby, you can give it up for adoption. If you have the baby, you can go get a plan B. If you know, like, oh man, we got into a situation that we didn't expect to be in. There's termination. There's so many options available to women. So I think in that circumstance, you know, giving men the power to create kind of their destiny with knowing whether or not they want to have children or not, with having them birth control method that works because that way you don't leave it up to guests with what the woman is going to do with her body, because ultimately she has full autonomy over her body.
Speaker 1: I agree, I got four sons. I agree. I don't want my sons to have to lay down and say I hope she doesn't have it. I hope, to be honest, I hope my sons would have used discernment before even laying down with whoever, saying that, Okay, if I'm laying down with her, then she might be the type of person that I'll have a child with. But even if you are laying down with her, if she's at the child, you should have a choice contraceptive, whether it's a condom or is this thing you're talking about. I think men need to start taking more responsibility over what they do with their seed, leaving it up to so only a woman. To me is like, that's fuck boys shit if we be honest, like, oh, she got pregnant, No, she didn't get pregnant, nigga, right, you got her pregnant? Yeah, y'all, I got pregnant.
Speaker 4: I would say, I do like that perspective, Ka, that makes that makes perfect tense to me. And if that's the situation for me personally, I'm just thinking about myself, but in general, like that that is I mean, having this Adam pill or whatever this thing is allows men to like take control, right, So like, yeah, I know for a fact that ain't mine, right, right, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Right, So I get that, and then you won't get that whose is it? It ain't mine? I'm on the shot or you know what I'm saying. I got my balls injected with this. It's not mine.
Speaker 2: Now, you just hope that people will still take a step further and we're condom so that there's influx of it's not a past to just go out there and be raw dog and everything. You know what I'm saying, There has to still be that is.
Speaker 1: A deeper issue. Right about that. That's a deeper issue.
Speaker 2: So just be smart. People be smart.
Speaker 7: No on the same vein as Father's Day. I know that you guys with kids in here, you try to be good dads. But I often hear dad say they don't get good gifts for Father's Day.
Speaker 1: We don't.
Speaker 7: So I'm like, does it make you feel doubtful as a dad when your kids bring you a little shitty? When they got mom, they got mom something to elaborate.
Speaker 1: Last month, that's they're gonna get their mom something elaborate. I do have an op on that. I personally don't care. My kids typically ask me that what you want for Father's Day? And I to be like, I don't want nothing, But they actually mother what you want? Well, I want flowers, make sure you have a card, make sure we go to dinner.
Speaker 4: So you ask your mom, your mom to do that, Mom to do that. That's and that's why I feel this way. I asked my mom, she tell me. I asked my pops.
Speaker 1: He just be like, don't nothing. Ilse grill for y'all. We watched the games. So to be honest, you can't be upset at women saying exactly what they want. That is just like the joke and complain, but realistically, I don't want to go to a brunch.
Speaker 2: Do not take me anywhere that's there. That's my devots hard. He's hard in general. Like birthdays. Everyone always texts me for birthdays and they're like, what do I get Devout? We don't know what Devo wants his pajamas today, y'all we were supposed to be dressing.
Speaker 4: Why they didn't even notice?
Speaker 2: Or are you serious? The theme around the theme around elsejama like elevation. We're in a new space. Let's try to dress nicely, make it a show. Blah blah blah. And Deval comes down here in his Warriors pajama pans. Now, I get just playoff basketball time. I get it, and I get it that you're still holding on to dead ass. But this is how he showed up to set today. But that's indicative of who you.
Speaker 1: Got a nice watch about, Thank you, Josh, because I didn't realize I had on the dead ass shirt. I woke up like this.
Speaker 2: Clearly you didn't make it like that exactly I was. Which if you haven't gotten your dead ass merch, there's not much less y'all is at this point of collector's item invented, So make sure y'all hit up the website and get what's left. But I'm just saying that to say, devou is such a simple person, like he does not want to go anywhere. So anytime I've tried to like, oh, for Father's Day, we should go here, we should go that, devousa, I don't want to go nowhere. It's my day. Why are you trying to put your spin on what I want for my day? I want you to sit at home. I want to grill. He's like, essentially become his dad. He's like, I want to sit home. I'll grill with the boys, be hanging around, they get in the pool. It's in June, they just got out to school. I just want to chill with my family. And then still I'll go and I'll buy him a couple of things here, you know, a Mary's his spot or whatever, and then he'll open it and it's like you didn't have to get this, I didn't need this. So it's really ultimately hard. But I get your point, tripe. But most of the time, fathers feel like they're the second thought or they're the afterthought, and that's not nearly the case. It's just that you require less.
Speaker 1: Well, let me ask, do fathers feel like they afterthought? Do other people next to us say, why do y'all do this.
Speaker 3: To dad's marketing your father's you know you think that's what it is.
Speaker 4: I mean, there is a difference with how men and women are celebrated on those days, like in general. But yo, for me personally, I think, don't complicate that day. Yo, Like it is my second birthday. Father's Day is literally my second That's what it is. That's literally don't complicate it. Like if I go to church on that Sunday, fine, I come home. Not trying to go nowhere to eat, Nope. I just want to sit down on a couch and just watch TV. If y'all if this is a day I'm celebrated, I don't celebrated. You're not gonna do something. You do what you do. Like I don't give some cool like I got I got five different mugs for Father's Day. I got that. I don't even use them, you know what I'm saying? Like one year, one year I got like golf clubs. I love that. Would I be okay without those golf clubs. I would absolutely be okay with it. Why because I still haven't been to damn driving ring, right, So don't overcomplicate my day. Just let me chill man, like this is this is my second birthday.
Speaker 2: So I know some moms we're for Mother's Day. Personally, I like to be with my children on Mother's Day because I feel like the kids look for me like it's Mother's Day.
Speaker 4: I won't to be with y'all.
Speaker 2: Right, I know a contingent of moms that are like for Mother's Day, send me away, take me away. I don't want to be with them, damn kids. I have a friend who every year, her husband books her a hotel room from Friday night and she does not check out until Sunday night because she just wants to be alone to do nothing because she's always having to do something. So it depends on the person. You gotta know your person and know what they like and what they expect. I'll just put it out there, baby, you don't have to get me flowers as Mother's Day. I just bought my Mother's Day gift.
Speaker 4: Y'all. See, y'all see how y'all see how this happening? This go ahead, you what you gave me, whatever you bought, Whatever you bought, you can have it.
Speaker 2: I just bought my Mother's Day gift. Guys, I got a purse. I haven't got on in a well purse you back. Don't worry about it. You'll see when we go upstairs. Just don't check your phone yet. But I couldn't make it to the store today because we had to record. So just letting you know, just letting you do not open your phone right now and making a thing. But I'm just letting you know that just saved I absolved him of having to go and shout for me. Yo. Today, he was just happy.
Speaker 1: The go sit over there.
Speaker 2: What did you see? That's not mine? Okay, that's yours, that's your.
Speaker 1: For me.
Speaker 2: No, I said, that was one of the expenses you had. That wasn't an expense for me.
Speaker 1: Oh see, there's a bunch of I'm not even gonna look at this.
Speaker 2: He's making it a thing. He's you know what I'm saying. But in the pursuit of you trying to find the perfect gift, as we're talking about the pursuit of perfection, I found it for you, and I saved you. The trouble, So don't worry about it.
Speaker 1: This is not making.
Speaker 2: It's just one little bag. I haven't brought a bag in years, y'all. But since working, since is working now? This is what I've always been working. But I'm working, y'all. Gonna find out soon, I know.
Speaker 7: Cardi B said that she's gonna give her birkeens to her daughter. Yeah, well you don't have any daughters, Kadeen.
Speaker 2: Are you making a look at this?
Speaker 1: Were talking about and somehow, somehow on Father's Day, Kadeen got a bag and it's gonna pass it down.
Speaker 4: The triple won't be talking about God's triple. She really said, you don't get me nothing. She led with, you don't got to get me nothing.
Speaker 1: Because I already got her something technical because you got it.
Speaker 2: To day, baby, you did. I saved you the trouble, honey. I mean, if you'd like to get.
Speaker 1: More, listen, I don't. I don't have a problem giving gifts and they're not for nothing. This actually goes back like I'm joking. I really don't care what she getting home thing, But this is the point. Kay says what she wants. Women oftentimes say exactly what they want, show men, especially dads, be like, I'm good, just leave me alone, like and enough for nothing. If Kay says your mother's that she want to go away, I'm gonna pay for her go away and do this right. If I say I want to go away for Father's Day, k would definitely be like, yo, leave your pops alone. The thing is, pops just normally don't say what they want.
Speaker 2: We really don't local guys. We're just trying to rock our brain, trying to figure out what it is so to make you feel special.
Speaker 4: You know you don't got to rock your brain. I want cookies and brain and brain. That's all I want.
Speaker 1: And my lion, you're father, right, what do you want? I just want somebody to pay attention, to be only me, just for the day. And if that's gonna be you, then that's what I want. Cookies and brain. Same thing for Valentine's Day, right, Sandwich. Why do women get chocolates and bracelets and diamonds as for Valentine's Day and we don't get nothing but butt because that's what we asked for. I don't want no diamonds, I don't want no cookies. I don't want no flowers.
Speaker 7: I don't want to want to go to for Valentine's Day. That was something you know, that's not all I want to give, don't.
Speaker 5: Because because you're still for Valentine.
Speaker 4: I get it.
Speaker 5: That's that's gonna piss me off.
Speaker 4: That's why I couldn't they.
Speaker 1: Know lesbians because lesbians want to be women. And then at the same time, Tripple want to funches, right, she want toes and tell them bitches, Yo, I'm still a woman.
Speaker 4: You ready. Gift is a superwoman. All yes, she's complex, He's super woman.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 1: If I could go back and come back as anything, I want to go back and come back as a black lesbian. You know why. I have my own titties right, my own pussy. I can play it with. I can play with other people's titties and we talking.
Speaker 4: Plus on Valentine's Day.
Speaker 5: I get gifts that it is actually the best thing ever.
Speaker 1: See that lesbian privileged. Y'all heard it here first. Triple don't be going through nothing in her life. Could you imagine that people just die like diagnose lesbianism to like Triple just have the perfect life. Couldn't that wouldn't that be the most fucked up thing because TRUP will be going through shit.
Speaker 2: Is it perfect? Let's go on to perfectionist.
Speaker 1: We all talk about perfectionism.
Speaker 4: I'll be leading us down the path of somewhere else's.
Speaker 2: I know that that tends to happen. Do we have another app or I forget what we know?
Speaker 5: I wanted this to lead and talking about perfectionism.
Speaker 7: When I was creating the run A show for this episode, I was wondering, if de vou ever, it doesn't seem like you suffer with perfectionism. It seems like there's something else where you do things well, but it's not. There's no pressure to do things well. It's just kind of like an expectation from yourself. So I wanted to talk about I guess you're gonna have to talk to the rest of us about how perfectionism ruins our lives.
Speaker 1: It does it seriously?
Speaker 4: Does like I hope to God y'all stop doing that.
Speaker 2: Start with our oldest.
Speaker 4: Jackson because Jackson Jackson is just.
Speaker 2: Like and I think the hardest part part of dealing with someone who suffers from this pursuit of perfect perfection is the the anxiety that they build up and the performance anxiety, the nerves. Like, that's something we noticed with Jackson. It's like him wanting to do something perfect. There's like a frustration that comes with it.
Speaker 5: There's this.
Speaker 2: You know, it's almost as if he talks himself out of it sometimes. And that's that's what we have to talk came back off the legend. It's like, no, you can do this because you've prepared for it. That's why we always tell them that the pursuit of perfection.
Speaker 1: Practice practice, practice is not the pursuit of perfection, right, practice is the pursuit of the process.
Speaker 4: Right exactly.
Speaker 2: And that's what we try to instill in the voids time and and time and again, especially to vour working with them closely on sports for example, you know, trying to get over anxiety.
Speaker 1: But I changed it because remember it used to be now a practice, practice used to it used to be practice makes perfect, yeah, right, right, practice was perfect. So I used to say that, right, and then Jackson want to be perfect perfect. Analogy is to I no longer preach perfection. It didn't start with Jackson, started with myself. Right, Jackson is playing basketball. First half of the year, Jackson is averaging like maybe eleven points. He's only shooting maybe four shots a game, so once a quarter he shoots right, but he's also scoring at a high percentage. I said, Jackson, why are you not shooting? I'm afraid I won't miss I'm afraid I won't make it. So then you shoot another one. Yeah, but if I missed, then Oh, so you think missing any shot in the game means that you're not perfect.
Speaker 4: So you don't want to shoot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but what if your team could use those points? Jackson? I said, Yeah, what if you make half and miss half, but you still score twenty points? He said, he if I scored twenty and our team's gonna win. Yeah, but you had to miss half of them to make the twenty. And that's when he got it and he realized, like, oh, and he said to me, so I miss all the shots you don't take Exactly, you don't take a shot because you fear you won't be perfect. You've missed it. So you've automatically disqualified yourself from the opportunity to even be great because you avoided it out of the fear of perfection. And he really got that out and then he was just like, oh, so I don't got to be perfect. No, the greatest shoot of all time shoots at forty percent from three. That's Steph Curry. The best batters in baseball all shoot between two hundred and three hundred, which means that they miss way more than they make, and those are the greats. And that's when he realized, like, oh, so I don't got to chase perfection. Yeah, because perfection is untainable. Nobody can always be perfect all the time.
Speaker 2: Then you had Cairo who runs the two hundred, and Cairo has figured out in his mind the perfect way to pursue this perfect race. So Cairo running the two hundred. They just started running track this year. Right at the last track me, we were at Kiro's running the two hundred. So Cairo gets out the gate, he's running, hits the curve, He's at the back of the pack. So me and DeValve were like, damn, he's at the back of the pack. And then as he hits the straightaway, Cairo literally like sonic blows past like five people everybody. They finished first and right. So when he came off, he kind of smirked and he was just like them, like is that your strategy? Like you want to just coast around the corner and then like turn it up and he's just like, kind of yet, because I know I could once I like hit the straightaway and then Deval was like, but bro, if you were like hitting it the entire time, your time would be faster, because in track it's ultimately you against the time and you against your your last time trying to get that personal record. But it's funny to see how people's brains work differently, and we're noticing that with our kids. The way they try to pursue what their idea is of perfect is it's always with a different process, Right.
Speaker 1: I think your point is super valid because he won his heat, but since he won his heat, he thought he's gonna get a medal. He didn't get a medal, and he didn't get a medal because he finished only top twenty in times. Now, in his mind, he ran his race perfectly to win his heat heat, but he still didn't get what he wanted. And that's the whole thing. Perfect to you isn't perfect to everybody, which means perfect to everybody isn't perfect to you. So if you're facing your life or living your life saying my life isn't perfect to everyone else. It doesn't have to be because even when you think you're doing stuff perfect, it's not perfect for everyone.
Speaker 2: You know, what do you guys think is the standard of perfection for something in your life? For example, Triple, you want to be perfect at something? What has set that wants to What do you look at and say this would be perfect for me?
Speaker 1: She wants to be a performer Shriple love stand up. She wants to be a writer, show someone's to act. So what would be the perfect performance?
Speaker 2: What would be like the perfect or the perfect avenue to get to that for you that you feel like you have not been able to unfold yet, the.
Speaker 5: Perfect avenue to get there? I don't think that I have.
Speaker 7: And this is probably the problem that comes with this question of perfectionism, is it self doubt Because I think the avenues the doors have been open. I've done almost everything that I could think to do to get there. But a lot of times when I get there, I'm like, oh my god, you know what I'm saying. I get scared, I get nervous, I fuck up somehow, or I moved to the next thing, or I think I'm not good enough to be here, and I don't keep going. Yeah, I think that that has been my biggest hang up in the last couple of years. It's just being like, I'm not funny enough to be a comic.
Speaker 5: I can't do this. And then I just had this situation happen.
Speaker 7: I made a video Mimicky and Gail King, and I made the video and then I was like, I'm not about to post this and I'm fucking funny.
Speaker 5: And then I was like, here I go talking myself out of it. So I just posted it anyway. I'm like, if it flops, it flops whatever, I don't care. And it didn't flop.
Speaker 2: It like it did very well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I was surprised. Yeah, it was funny. I was so.
Speaker 7: I was extremely surprised, and I was like, okay, Like, so my best friend, who's the smartest, most ambitious person that I've that I know. She finished her NBA this year and she.
Speaker 1: Smarter than me.
Speaker 7: She chosen to give the commencement speech, and in the speech, she talks about Steph Curry's three point average and his mindset is that the next one is going on no matter like how you do. The point is to get better every time. Absolutely the point is to keep trying so that the next one does go in so that you do have a better shot if you keep going. So I'll be trying to I'll be trying to keep that in mind. But I think for me, I think getting on stage, being able to perform. If I get on stage, if I do the thing, I know that I'm gonna do it well, So really it doesn't matter how I get there.
Speaker 5: I think it's just getting there mentally.
Speaker 2: Battle for you.
Speaker 1: I think that people struggle with not being accepted right, like for example, Tripple's thing was I created this, I think it's funny, but what if it flops? That whole what if it flops is also another word for what if people don't think?
Speaker 2: It's other people to validate exactly it.
Speaker 1: Especially as a creative, you're constantly seeking validation to know that your creativity is going to be appreciated. And it's very hard if you're an artist. If people don't appreciate your work, it doesn't matter if it's paint, music, film, TV. If people don't appreciate your work, you start to feel worthless. So I understand that from artists, for example, like Josh and Matt, they both do pictures and video.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: I remember saying to Josh, like, y'all say, yo, Josh, you got mad pictures that you don't ever post, and he'd be like, nah, it's just it's not it's not And I'm like, you see, you get about to give me a whole bunch of reasons why this picture isn't perfect. But a picture doesn't have to be perfect to be posted and hit. For example, remember when you said, I'm gonna tell y'all how I just be throwing against the wall, Like, Okay, I think this is funny. I'm gonna try I throw it against the wall. It don't hit. I use that opportunity to see why it don't hit, to learn and understand from it. There's never no loss. A video that don't hit, a picture that don't hit, a joke that don't hit, is always just more information for you to get better at what you do. It's not an end, and that's what happens. People think if a video don't hit, a picture don't hit, it's the end. It's still always the beginning. Even when you have a picture of video that hits, now you've got the information of why it hits. It's just the beginning, because now you have to duplicate that success.
Speaker 2: That's essentially what we did with social media, essentially devals strategy. He said, We're gonna just keep posting, and if it didn't hit, that's fine, because all it takes is for one thing to hit, and then you have a catalog of things for people to go and look at. That happens all the time. I may see something come across my page if I'm aimlessly scrolling one day, and I'm like, oh, this is funny, and then I'll go to that person's page and then look for other funny videos that caught my attention or caught other people's attention, and before you know it, you might have gained somebody who follows you now because they see something there. But you also have to understand that you're not for everybody you know who creative.
Speaker 1: Barack Obama his first New York Times best selling book.
Speaker 4: People think it was his book.
Speaker 1: Obama his first New York Times best selling book was when he was running for president. I think he went up to go speak in Chicago. Oprah was there, and Oprah pretty much was just like, guys, this.
Speaker 7: Is going to be at the Democratic National Convention yeah. I remember we watched it in high school and we were like, dad, he's going to be the president.
Speaker 1: Yes, right now. He had two books that he had already published before that when he was in college, and the book sold like seven copies. He said he got a phone call randomly from the publisher and which just like, hey, we have a check for you, and he's like what he was just like, you know, your books were flying off the sales ever since the Democratic National Convention. Then a couple of weeks later, both of his books became New York Times bestsellers, but those were years after he first released him So when he first released them, they were considered flops. Nobody cared. Then two years go by, people listen to him speak and then read his book and go back like the catalog you talked about, and realize, this man is brilliant. That's why you can't knock yourself if something doesn't happen the way you want it to happen in that time.
Speaker 4: Sometimes it takes people to catch on. And this is not for Nobody's.
Speaker 1: Chris Brown, who is in Everybody did the song Residuals, But I said, so, when did that song come out?
Speaker 2: Years ago?
Speaker 1: And it just started popping last year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like two, it came out.
Speaker 1: Two or three.
Speaker 2: No, it came out like maybe five or six years. Are started popping like two years ago.
Speaker 1: The fact it was like how does this song pop down? When it came out, And when it first came out, nobody was checking for it, so people consider it a flop. To me, there's no such thing as a flop. It's just people have to start paying attention. The only way you get them to pay attention is consistency. But you can't be consistent if you're a perfectionist and keep stopping because you don't think what you're putting out is perfect and that's ultimately the thing.
Speaker 2: Or if you're a procrastinator like I tended to be for a large portion of my life and probably still to this day. And I realized, like I said in my sound by earlier, that I will sometimes mask putting things off as me trying to find the perfect way to do it when I'm realizing that I'm just really not doing the work.
Speaker 5: Well, you know what I was reading on I think it was like psych Central that.
Speaker 2: Come on doctor mell me.
Speaker 7: As a neuro divergent person, myself I'm always trying to figure out what the hell is going on?
Speaker 5: Get crossed? They said.
Speaker 7: Procrastination can be a personality trait for a perfectionist. It's known as maladaptive perfectionism. So usually a perfectionist will try to get things right, and they'll work on something until they get it right because they have a fear of judgment sometimes and procrastination is the same thing, but maladaptive means that you are unable to do the thing you're supposed to be doing because the perfectionism makes you shut down. So perfectionists might have a you know, take more time, but they get it done, whereas if your perfectionism is maladaptive, you're not getting it.
Speaker 2: You never get it.
Speaker 5: That's me.
Speaker 2: I don't even want to repeat the word because I feel like when you repeat the word, it like saying that's what it is. Yeah, I don't want to I don't want to say that that's what I am, what I'm worting, But you.
Speaker 7: Know what I think, sometimes it is helpful to lean on something like perfectionism, because perfectionism will take you to the root of what it is that's hurting you or what it is that's causing it, Like fear.
Speaker 5: Do you fear judgment? Is it something that happened to your childhood? You can go back and.
Speaker 7: Understand why you're a perfectionist and then you can heal that thing. But if you say something like, oh, I'm a procrastinator, that's kind of negatively talking about yourself, like I just am lazy.
Speaker 5: I'm just not able to do the thing.
Speaker 7: You are able, but there's something blocking you, so so labeling it as perfectionism might help you to get to the root of the block.
Speaker 1: Okay, Devil's Advocate. I do think some people be full of shit. You know, people going on job interviewers right right, and what's the first thing they say, tell me something about yourself. I'm a perfection I'm a perfectionist. So that's the first thing people say. And it's like almost like when people say, you know, I have anxiety. It's almost like it's a word that's so overused now that people just throw it into their vernacular that seem like they're self aware, when realistically they just scared. And a lot of times I feel like this whole perfectionism thing like you just described is a byproduct of something that's really going on, and they use the perfectionist thing. So I agree with that, Like, I didn't think about it until you said it like that. How many people just say I'm a perfectionist because it sounds better than saying I'm scared as a motherfucker that this ain't gonna work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not.
Speaker 5: I don't consider myself a perfectionist. I am scared as fuck.
Speaker 7: I have debilitating anxiety whenever I think about, especially things that are visible, Like I can go on stage, you know, and do this, do the thing, but like posting something on the internet, I'd be like, oh, I'll be ready.
Speaker 2: To throw which is so crazy because most people their biggest for the number one fear except for people that's like public speaking or being in front of a crowd or an audience and speaking, which is something that I feel like most of us can do pretty naturally in this room, but.
Speaker 4: Public speaking, but I know Matt wouldn't. But I'm like, I don't think it's the act of doing it is not the issue. It's the result of it, Like how is this going to be received after? For me personally, Like how is it going to be received after? So I have no problem doing the work, I have no problem taking the photos. I have no problem making a video. It's like afterwards and part of part my thing is what I'm conscious of is well it doesn't look like this person's especially when I'm in a foreign space.
Speaker 1: You think you want validation.
Speaker 4: It could be a form of validation, but it could be a form of me trying to validate my own self.
Speaker 1: I get that.
Speaker 4: People, Then you want you want to valiance. I want to feel like it's okay, right, Like I want to say like, nah, this measures up. But the thing, like we talked about with Jack's like, bro, you you got to get more reps in like you got to be able to do way more than you're doing right now. This is me talking to myself. I gotta do way more I'm doing right now, So like, stop thinking about how this will be received and just do something right. But like for me, it's it's perfectionism. It's almost like you just keep putting roadblocks in your own way. That's what I feel like you keep putting for me as a personally like desperately wants to be a film director. Right, It's it first started off like all right, I'm gonna go to take classes. Then when you get these classes, you're like, all right, this is not that easy, like okay, I need something to make right. And then you're like, okay, let me start writing. And then you start writing and it's just like this is not good, like I'm not writing good enough. So I'm like, now you're wasting time trying to figure out how to write something when that's not your goal. The goal is not trying to write. Your goal is try to make something. So it's like constantly putting things that you gotta hurdle over trip over most of the time, and then try to like once you trip, you gotta find another hurdle, and you're putting those things in front of you.
Speaker 1: This is why I feel like people need to start understanding the process of being great. People think the process of being great just happens like someone just woke up and was great and then they started practicing and they made all the shots. That's not how greatness works. This is literally how greatness works. I had never returned the punt in college. That's not what I did.
Speaker 4: A punt.
Speaker 1: For people who don't know, is when the punter kicks the ball off, the shit goes like ten stories even higher than that in the air. It's a little tiny skittle. You got to catch it in front of all the people in the arena, plus eleven dudes trying to smack you in the mouth. Right I'm in practice, Coach says, you have to catch fifty punts after practice if I'm going to even allow you to catch a punt in the game. So the whole week of practice goes through, and me and Chuck Priefer we go back after practice and they kick these punts and through every aspect of the punt. He made it more difficult. He started dumping the balls and water. He started putting the stuff under my arms to make it difficult. Out of the fifty punts the first day, I only caught like ten. And this is what I think people need to understand about the process. I caught the ten out of the fifty, which is like twenty percent of what it is. But he was excited about me going through the journey of constantly trying to catch it.
Speaker 4: Right after doing it for three weeks.
Speaker 1: I was starting to catch fifty out of fifty. But the problem is people don't ever want to go through that aspect of being terrible at something while they learn. And I was freaking horrible the same way I was horrible at making videos, I was horrible at color commentary, I was horrible at football, I was horrible at basketball, I was horrible at acting, I was horrible at writing. When you start anything, you just be horrible. And we all have to get used to the fact that you're going to be horrible until you take the necessary time to be miserable for a certain a lot of time be great. And if people start realizing that, they'll do like I do and start throwing shit against the wall. Hey, the last time I tried to catch this point, the shit hit me right in my face.
Speaker 4: Mass bounced up. I could at that point been like, I'm.
Speaker 1: Not doing this. Look at how Chuck Chuck Prifa was laughing laughing at first, you saying you and be an NFL punp returner, send your black ass back to Brooklyn. This is an old white man telling me this. I had to ignore all that and let them shits bounce off my face forty out of fifty times until I returned my first punt in the NFL. And what happened. I almost return that shit for a touchdown. Go back to two thousand and six, Deval's first punt return against the Chicago Bears. I returned that bitch on the two. You ain't got that shit back to the fifty and then that was my first punt return, and everybody kept saying that that point, Oh, you're gonna be great. He's a natural. This is first punt return. Yeah, y'all didn't know that for three weeks. Them shits was bouncing off my face mass in practice.
Speaker 2: And if I know anything about Daval the chip he had on his shoulder after Teller, Everyone tells if you want Devalu to do something, telling me.
Speaker 1: Can't tell me I can't do it, tell me can't do it.
Speaker 2: Fact, I can relate to you in the process of it. So, Josh, when you were talking about having to write and then having to do this, and you look at them as hurdles to try to get you to be a director, right, I instantly thought about, that's probably just a part of the process to get you to understand the scope of work of what a director does.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: And I think about my recent project that I did over at TPS, Divorced SSS make sure I'll watch on b ET plus. Preparing for this particular role, I was enjoying the process of it, because I've always wanted this for myself, right, went to school for it, all of that. So I had an opportunity to do the acting now in a very prestigious role. When I say prestigious series regularly everyone on the show, right and baby, let me tell you when perfectionism, the pursuit of that, the pressure, the process, all of the things were starting to fall on my lap and imposter syndrome wanted to sneak in every single time that I sat down and read those scripts and had to prepare. So to your point, the process of preparing for filming and the hours that I put in to my scripts with my coach, developing Geneva in the gym, changing my diet, like everything that I did to prepare for that, which Devou thought I was obsessive over. At some point he thought I was doing the most. He was like, it shouldn't require all of this.
Speaker 4: I legit was like, are you okay? Like I was like, this is not not realizing this was her first opportunity to do that. I'm like, I do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, You're nine seasons in and fourth two shows, four seasons in. This is my first time in the like imagine me getting this opportunity and fumbling it as you were just thinking of oportunities as Devou's wife missed the TPS. You know what I'm saying. So I had all of these things on my shoulders, and every time something crap up to my this is how I knew that perfectionism and procrastination, those are things that I throw in my way. It's the process of preparing for it. So I prepared so much, and I was so obsessive and I was so drastic with it that when I got to set for those two weeks, I was Jeneva. I was just her like I wasn't Kadeen. I was so prepared, and that just made me realize, like all the shit I've told myself over the years, the self doubt, the imposter syndrome, all of that, that's just the enemy. That's just the depth, that's whoever you want to say, it is creeping in. Because I was, I was capable. I was capable of the whole time. All I had to do was the work, and I think most people just shy away from committing to doing the work and doing the process.
Speaker 1: There's no way you can avoid you can't cheat that, Yeah, you can't avoid the fear or the nerves that come with something new if you don't practice it. You have to like, this is what I told Jackson said, if you really Because Jackson was like that, I'd be nervous before every game. A stomach be bothered me, and he's just like, I don't know how to shake it. I was like, well, the only reason why you're nervous is because the unknown. You don't know what's gonna happen in this game, do you. He's like, nah, I say, you know why you don't know what's gonna happen in this game. When you get in practice, you don't spend time in practice throwing shit against the wall going full speed trying to just func shit up to see what it is. You spend time in practice trying to be perfect so that coach can remember you perfect.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: He was just like, yeah, I said, that's the wrong way. The only reason why I knew I wasn't going to drop the ball in the game is because I had dropped it so many times in practice that by the time the ball came to me, I had already knew what was going to happen. And he was just like, and I watched Kate do the same thing. Kate was so nervous about the emotional scenes, right, and this is important for acting. People always say, how you able to just cry on Q? How are you able to be angry?
Speaker 7: How you?
Speaker 1: And I said, well, first thing is you don't just cry on Q. That's not what happens. You become the person. How do you become the person? You constantly rep the emotions the person goes through. When you're going through the lines before you get to the screen, like before it even gets that you're going to rehearsal, you're going through is you become this person? Then when you get there, when they say action, there is no thinking about Now I have to cry. Your person says the line, You say the line back. Y'all live in the space, and when you go watch, it's, oh shit, he cried. It's the same thing with photography. Writing a joke, there's never gonna be a I wrote this perfect joke on the spot trouble It's gonna be I worked it. I wrote this joke. I practiced this joke in front of a bunch of audiences thousands of times before the Netflix special came. So I knew the joke was gonna hit, and that's what people miss. You know what I'm saying. At first, It's just like I want my joke to hit on Netflix. What did your joke flop and the laugh factory a thousand times? Because if it flopped at the lave factory, then you'll know how to adjust it to make it flip. And that's what I want people to like take away when they listen to this. Your afectionism is probably coming from your lack of approach to consistently doing the thing you say you love thousands of times to become great at it.
Speaker 3: But I'll push back on that because he says I'm a perfectionist. My wife probably said the same thing. I wholeheartedly disagree because I go through the process. I'll take pictures every day knowing nobody gonna see this picture, but I know that pictures for me because I need to put up shots.
Speaker 1: So what do you what do you think?
Speaker 4: It's not your issue? What's my issuer? I think you also create herders for yourself as well. Because we talked about you doing the gallery, and we talked about and you talked about all the things that you had to do to get to the place where not even a gallery. You talked about selling your prints online, and you talked about, well, I don't I don't know how to do the site gotta be like this, The site gotta do that. You gotta do the site got to do a damn thing. All that's for me, person for you. Correct, And that's the reason why you currently are not selling these prints. By the way, you got this point, not that you has phenomenal photos over that we know that go back to so we understand no exactly right, though Matthew has phenomenal photos, photos that would look amazing in your home. Hell yeah, Matthew wants to sell you those photos. The reason why he hasn't sold those photos is because he keeps putting those hurdles in his own way. That's the reason why that's not in this house right now on the walls, because you're putting those hurtles in a way. So I think taking a pictures point, you got a point, because I agree with the point.
Speaker 1: Why why some point you created the website yet for people to buy them photos.
Speaker 4: His thing is he's not a perfectionist because he's still doing the reps, he's still taking a picture because.
Speaker 3: I'm still in the process of building the project to be what I wanted to be before I even put it out to people.
Speaker 1: That's my point, and that's and that's what he's that's perfectionism.
Speaker 4: It hasn't I don't.
Speaker 3: Even know that is even to a point of imperfect I just don't want to incomplete project out there where you go, there you see his life.
Speaker 4: That's that's the thing. That's that's the things it has to get, and that's the thing. It has to get to a certain point until I feel it's ready for public assumption.
Speaker 3: And I don't care about the public, so I'm ready to put it out. That's when I don't put it out.
Speaker 4: I can put it out.
Speaker 3: I don't care if the public don't like it or not if I'm not comfortable with it, because there's many times where and I'll go back to and I'm not comfortable with how it looks for me as an artist.
Speaker 4: That's what I want to go and change it. I'd rather not put it out in a rush way. I rather wait as a as a as a fellow artist. I completely understand what you mean, right, you want to be comfortable, to be able to stand on this product. Once it's out that there's like, I have my hands off. It's going to do what it does. If it does well, does well, it doesn't. I put my all into it. But there's a school of thought that says, put it out there regardless right now, because you don't know you're I would say, looking at it, you have a vision of how this thing is supposed to look once it's done. The reality is, you know, making movies, right, you know, doing TV. Sometimes you get the script, it's one way you feel it, it's one way. The finished product is a completely different way, completely right. So I say that because I think you should just start with the process. This is your first time.
Speaker 3: We second because I put it out before, people didn't receive it, and I left it out there and I took it down because I wanted to go and revamp it now.
Speaker 4: That's why it's not back up.
Speaker 3: My print shop has been up.
Speaker 4: Okay, can I just jump in?
Speaker 1: I want to point out something with perfection.
Speaker 3: But I'm here, I'm not being defended.
Speaker 4: I want to I want to point out something with perfection.
Speaker 1: I pointed out to Josh that he does that, and Josh's first response was, no, I don't I don't care what other people think. I didn't put it out because I wasn't happy about it. That's what Josh said. Josh just said to you the same thing I said to him. Your first response is, it ain't about other people. I don't like the way it's out. That's automatically typically a response for someone who's using perfectionism as a defense to not put their product out. Y'all both just did the same thing, And while Josh was trying to help you do it, he was doing the same thing because he said the same response to me. I said, Josh, you tend to wait to see if other people will receive it. He said, no, I don't care how other people receive it. It's me, the same way you just saying it's me. That's what perfectionism is. You're using yourself as the reason why you can't put your thing out. And the reason why you can stand on that is because can't no one else tell you nothing about you. So that's the ultimate defense. It ain't about other people, it's about me. So when people say it's about us, about you, now, you're like, I win, that's why I put it out. No, that's why you need to put it out because, like I said before, if people didn't buy it, use that as a lesson.
Speaker 4: Let me see why.
Speaker 1: Let me not not put it out again. Let me see why and what can I adjust correct?
Speaker 3: And that was the reason why I took it. I'm like, I see how this looks. I didn't like it in the first place, but I tried it. Let me take it, let me go back, let me revamp this. I feel like now when it's out, y'all gonna love it because I revamped it. And then if y'all don't cool, it's gonna be out there. I don't feel like it's out of place now where I need to take it down. I feel like I've gotten the project to a place where I could keep adding to it. At this point before it looked like an incomplete message to me as an artist?
Speaker 1: What's the time on you?
Speaker 3: By the time this is out, y'all, y'all would be able to buy prints, I guarantee.
Speaker 2: So do you have photos in your possession right now that you feel like this is the perfect photo. I've done all that I needed to do in terms of edit whatnot, and I can put this on I said, okay, put them up, absolutely and it's.
Speaker 4: Not the pictures.
Speaker 1: I don't think the issues the pictures because I went to I seen the pictures. It's not the picture who I said, I've seen. Like I said the same thing to him at his wedding. Wedding, I said, and this is the truth, man, you know you my man, I said, Yo, what are these pictures that he's like, I'm working on And that was your wedding was a year ago, and he was like, I'm working on the gallery. It's been over a year now. So now it's like at some point, just like I did with Trouble, you got to stop working on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll admit to that, you know, because you you definitely said that. You said the same thing when I said, and maybe it's just me again. But when you say gallery, I push back because I'm thinking about public space where I could bring people in. Y'all can see it on the wall. The print shop is an issue of my own that should have been up a long time ago, and I need to get that fixed.
Speaker 4: The gallery.
Speaker 3: On another hand, I also don't want to waste the money to put out it to do a gallery and five people show up. Personally, I feel like I'm yeah, monetarily and don't make sense.
Speaker 1: I don't bro I don't have camps where around the whole city where three people came up to six camps. Three kids came to six camps around the city. Remember we was doing them camps and them three kids was family. It was my cousin God, another one of my uncles, one of my coaches, nephews.
Speaker 4: It shit hurts and I never have to do what you came. I think I think that that we should talk about, uh that depending on the position you're in financially, uh or any any space in your life that also plays a uh the place of a role in how you approach things. And your back is against the absolute against the wall like yours was probably at that time, Yeah, at that time with the cams in my back, it's more it's probably different from that at this point against right.
Speaker 1: He's trying to you absolutely like that.
Speaker 4: And that and that talks to your hustle. For me personally, I know my back is in against the wall as much as it could it could be. That's why the firing on my ass is not what it is.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: Like when you have when you have external forces forcing you or pushing you in this direction because you need it, right, that is something that you can't deny that that pushes people out of perfectionism perfectionism and into a space of necessity.
Speaker 1: So check this out. So what you pretty much said is that socio economic uh details can pretty much hunt. Let you know, like, because if you comfortable, you're like, I don't got a four stage year. But if you back against the wall, that's a good point. Think of the most comfortable people won't take chance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, think about success stories though. Whenever you see people at the top of whatever their industry is, usually they have a struggle story behind it. Where I was living out my car, I was working five jobs, I was and the site out of that need for you know, moving forward in life, your back's against the wall. You're doing everything that you have to do the hustle, and eventually you make it there because the fire is under your tail.
Speaker 4: So this what I think, This what I think.
Speaker 1: Y'all should do. Everybody over there, just give me all y'all money. So y'all could be broke. So it's not that y'all broke. Y'all could be struggling and dreams. Maybe you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Whatever money you get for everybody in the next six weeks, I will say this, you have to look at your circumstances. I had this like crazy eye opening, uh epiphany.
Speaker 2: This sounds moment of is it?
Speaker 4: It does two nights ago ahead and I'm not giving the story, but I'll keep it. But I had this epiphany about my circumstance and what I want to do, and it was just like you almost have to put in perspective. I'm not a millionaire, like I am not a millionaire, so logistically, like for me personally, my back is against the wall. Right, I can't take a month off if I want to. I want to get to the point where I could say, lie, I want to take the summer off. I don't want to do nothing for Junior July, and I want to go. I want to live in Jamaica for two whole months. I want that, right, And because I want that, I have to be able to make myself uncomfortable about what I'm doing right now. And I think that's that's where I'm at. It's like the uncomfortability isn't there enough to push you? And that's where that that that perfectionism is sort of like a crutch.
Speaker 1: You're just good though, because you sound like a like a coach now, because coaches will tell you that, you know what your problem is, you too fucking comfortable on this team. You need to be uncomfortable. Then they bene you, you understand.
Speaker 2: You like like a mind game. Essentially, it is a mind game.
Speaker 4: Most people people comfortable bro even when they broke. They just comfortable, and that's why they can't do other things.
Speaker 1: She just blew like that. Shit really just blew my mind thinking about it.
Speaker 2: Now, I got to pay business.
Speaker 1: We do, gotta pay man, paypills, pay bills, come back all.
Speaker 2: Right, all right, we gonna face some bills and come back. Okay, as we talked about cutting everybody's salary, let's go face some buildings. We'll do the listener letter, but will hold your thoughts. We'll round it out in the moment of truth.
Speaker 4: Deal.
Speaker 2: All right, and we're back. We're gonna dive into listening letters. As I hear the kiddos her home from school now.
Speaker 1: About to come down at some point, somebody won't.
Speaker 2: Come to somebody gonna come down here. But let's jump into it. Hey, de Valen Kadeen, I'm a new listener for about a month and I love it. Here congratulates welcome. I'm a single, twenty six year old who has no trust in men, but I do wish to change that. In my childhood I had an inconsistent father with a mother who handled everything. It taught me to be very independent and not to rely on anyone. During college, I experienced sexual trauma with strengthened my mistrust. I do want to eventually have a healthy black love relationship, even though I never grew up seeing a strong black male figure in my life. Here are my questions, Deval, What do I do to place trust in men? So when mister Wright comes along, I'm prepared. Kadeen, how did you learn to lose control for Devo to handle things in times where you weren't confident? Ps, Devo, I love your character owned sisters.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. First and foremost, I understand why she doesn't trust men. You had a father who was inconsistent, like most people get their idea of what the opposing sex supposed to be by being a parent. So when you look at our demographic of people and you think about mass incarceration and the things they've done to our people over the past fifty years, a lot of young people men and women grew up without their father, especially if they grew up in an urban area. So to hearing young black women or black men say they don't have a trusting male figure in their life has become something I'm used to. So hearing this story. Remember my track girls from Brooklyn, most of them were all single moms. What came from single moms? But I understand where her trust lack of trust comes from. Then the sexual trauma. Right, she asked, what you did to be able to let me in? I think she's going to have to do the work to heal herself and find a way to become more vulnerable and open. Two men, because every man isn't going to be the person who assaulted you or your father, right, but there still are men out there who are just like them. So you have to learn how to use discernment and see those red flags from far away. For example, most people who go through stuff like that are then attracted to that type because that's all lace. And I just want her to hear my voice and say, listen, all men are not like that. They're not, so you don't have to accept that. And if you ever get to a position where you feel like, well, my dad was like this and this guy, So I guess that's how all men are. Fuck, know, sweetheart, all men are not like that. All men are not abusers, all men are not inconsistent. So first work on yourself to be able to heal for yourself. Don't try to heal for a man that you think you might meet in the future. Heal for yourself so you feel better about who you are. And then once you feel healed, use that discernment and pick the right type of man who's gonna love you the where you want to be loved.
Speaker 2: And then when you find that person. So to answer your question, for me, earn is something. Trust is something that's earned, it's not just something that happens. So with deval and I, I was able to develop a trust for him, or a level of trust for him because he consistently and we talked about consistency with even perfection istion, but perfectionism, but he consistently showed me and proved to me not just through words but through his action, the character of the kind of man that he is and would be. So that made it easy for me to then relinquish control to him in certain situations, or be able to kind of soften. You know what my mom instilled in me to be that independent woman who does not need anyone for anything and can do on her own. But he also simultaneously never stripped that from me either and required that I become a dumbed down version of myself because he was able to take care of him provide. So that's something that you have to find within that person, like Davao said, after bettering yourself and making sure that you're in a position to receive that kind of person, allowing them to earn the trust not through just words but also action. So it was easy for me to just let everything down, panties included with DeVos. I trusted him in every which way, honey, and still do twenty three years in. So it gets better this, So thank you so much for listening. I'm happy you found us, I'm happy that you love it here. You have a couple of seasons to catch up on, but thank you for joining the family over here and ever after. All right, y'all, if you want to be featured as one of our listener letters, be sure to email us at the Ellis advice at gmail dot com.
Speaker 4: That's t h E E L l I S A d v I C E at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: All right, moment of truth time today we're talking about perfectionism, the pursuit of that triple. What you got for us, it's your moment of truth. This.
Speaker 7: I didn't just learn this, but I was pleasantly reminded to appreciate the process. I do have a thing where I'm just I'm realizing that it is and it's important for me to be liked.
Speaker 5: And I don't like not being good.
Speaker 4: At stuff, and so that's honest.
Speaker 7: I always have to remind myself that practice makes you better. Yes, so I gotta appreciate the process do that.
Speaker 2: And you're just such a great person regardless, like I think that that's the that's like the number one thing at the top of the list, especially for us. Daval and I we like you're just such a pleasure, a pleasure to be with. That that's why we want to keep you around. I mean, the work portion of it is work, you know, that's business, but you as a person is really what helps to keep this together because we want you in our space. So never doubt that.
Speaker 1: Can I jump in real quick, trible. You've never been a perfect producer, Yeah, but you've always been a really good person. Yes, and outside of like we joke a lot, all of us joke a lot. This is not a joke, bro, Nobody here has ever been perfect at their job. I fucked up as a whole site. We we fuck up all the time. I need you to just know that you, because of the person you are, shines through more people will give you opportunities than not. We chose to because of your character. It had nothing to do with the work, you know what I'm saying. We're all not perfect.
Speaker 2: Worktuff we can work on, you know, but you can't replace the heart and the self and the energy of a person.
Speaker 7: Now that's something I do know. I always joke that I'm a personality higher every jobs.
Speaker 1: Absolutely yeah, absolutely yeah.
Speaker 2: And your personality will prevent you from being a fire. What you got for us, Josh, moment of truth and perfectionism.
Speaker 4: If you're listening and you sound like me, you really need to put yourself in an uncomfortable space to get to your next level, follow your dreams. All that. It's not eloquent, it's tough, And I'm talking to myself, but it's possible. I think men who are lesser than me as far as talent, have done it. So there's no excuse. So Josh, as a fact, I've seen in the photography space, not even don't you talk about with me? I won't cut you up. Barack Obama had had an interview where he talked about that. He said, at every level that he went to, you realized it was just like not that smart. They weren't smart. People are not And I've noticed that my so at every level that people aren't as as as affluent or or talented as you as you might think they would be. So Uh, anyone who listening it sounds like me, stop putting barriers or hurdles in your way. Run through, not lying through.
Speaker 2: Have a little audacity, y'all. Audacity goes a long way. Matt.
Speaker 3: What you got, Uh, prints are available, That's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: If you want a license photos.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Period. You gotta plug your ship.
Speaker 7: Yeah, everybody listening to let's make sure we put this pressure on Matt like y'all have been putting. Go to that pair asking me if I started a business a long time ago it's mad.
Speaker 3: By time out, y'all go on the website follow that page too, or you can send it to a company who wants to license it so we can see it around the globe.
Speaker 1: Then do it.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 2: I guess my moment you kind of got inspired from Josh's. But there are folks out here that are doing way less, but they have consistency, they have audacity, they have nerve, they have the gall and they just be doing it and doing it consistently enough. Do not cheat the process because eventually, whatever it is, it's gonna hit. And that's me speaking to myself as well too, because I saw what locking into the process did for me recently, and it has completely changed my life. And I'm in my forties now, well at the top of the forties, in my forties, like I won toe in it. I'm forty one, but at this age, and I'm sure there's people who listen that are younger. We have so many younger listeners like don't wait, you can do it sooner and enjoy it longer.
Speaker 1: I agree, be uncomfortable. Josh brought up a real good point about all of the people we know who have done great things had they back against the wall, and a lot of times it's easier to take chances when your back is against the wall. Yeah, so these are all my parents who have kids. Stop making your kids life so comfortable, Kadeen Deval Mimi Pop, Like you know what I'm saying. Like we all as parents, this generation of parents who have more than our parents, we got to stop making our kids life so comfortable so that they can take chances and be better than us.
Speaker 4: That's what Josh.
Speaker 1: You brought that to me because I didn't even think about the financial component and the fact that all those times I was hustling, I was freaking broke.
Speaker 2: Because you had nothing else happening at that moment. Yeah, it was all on you. Was this your topic today? Josh? Did you put this one in there?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So we've been putting topics in the ring and in the group chat and stuff, and this was a good one for today. So Josh episode today, I know I need to hear from you. Okay, all right, y'all, be sure to find us on Patreon if you're not part of the gang yet, because we have the exclusive after show there, as well as more Ellis Family content, BTS, all that good stuff. That you want to see from us, and you can find us on social media at Elvis ever After. I am Kadeen, I am I am.
Speaker 3: Devaal matt Ellis Photo dot com, M A T T E L L I S P h O t O dot com.
Speaker 2: There you go, give him a lower third, bab.
Speaker 4: You double click on my fix at Joshua Underscore Dwayne.
Speaker 5: You can find me at tribs The Cool, t R I B b Z The Cool on Everything.
Speaker 1: And if you're listening on Apple podcasts, be sure to wait reviews such ribe and get your copy of We Over Me. It's still available now, y'all.
Speaker 2: It's everywhere.
Speaker 4: Baby Dad ass.
Speaker 7: Cut Ellis ever After is an iHeartMedia podcast. It's hosted by Kadeen and deval Ellis. It's produced by Triple Video, Production by Joshua, Dwayne and Matthew Ellis, video editing by Leshan rothe
Speaker 2: Sa